PDA

View Full Version : IR's New albums - Ver 2008

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

vel
13th August 2008, 08:03 PM
This pleasing melody becomes another "kurangu kaiyil poomaalai" in Bhavathaarini's hands till the second charanam, when SriRam Paarthasarathy and Prassanna join in to salvage the song.

Glad that bhava atleast has a unique voice - I have a tough time distinguishing between the young crop of singers - parvathavardhini (to some extent ok), sangeetha mahadevan, vinaya, reeta, shalini, madhushree...same in males - Binny sounds same ditto as karthik or prasanna? :lol: The unique voices we have today are a rare breed and IMHO are that of shreya goshal, bhava, malathy, sadhana sargam in female and sriram parthasarathy, madhu balakrishnan, pushpavanam kuppusamy and manickam vinayagam in male ...i agree that bhava has to improve but you will have to agree that most of the other people in the race have to improve as well ...

rajaalltheway
13th August 2008, 08:15 PM
Very reliable sources informed that Ayya refused to work with Bharath Bhala on a gigantic international project recently.The movie is said to have south indias top names along with prominent orient superstars.Any one heard such a thing???

MumbaiRamki
13th August 2008, 09:06 PM
Very reliable sources informed that Ayya refused to work with Bharath Bhala on a gigantic international project recently.The movie is said to have south indias top names along with prominent orient superstars.Any one heard such a thing???

ithu veraya ?

ananth222
13th August 2008, 09:16 PM
Very reliable sources informed that Ayya refused to work with Bharath Bhala on a gigantic international project recently.The movie is said to have south indias top names along with prominent orient superstars.Any one heard such a thing???It feels bad to see IR missing out on some grand projects where there is hope for great music. Like this one and Marudhunayagam. I felt the same way for Dasavatharam, until I saw the movie - then I was glad that IR stayed away from that joke of a movie.

Sureshs65
13th August 2008, 09:23 PM
Did you notice how the songs seem to reflect the movie name? As they say in Tamil, 'Panam Pattum Seiyyum'. So Dhanam has lot of variety :)) Starting from class melody numbers, semi classical stuff, base desires, pop philosophy etc. There is no predominant mood in the album.

In case of 'Mallepoovu', the predominant mood is one of tenderness. Yes, some other songs exist but the best songs are like the literal Mallepuvu, fresh, fragrant and fragile. Can't stop listening to the songs. The Calypso fellow in Jayanagar has not yet got it :(

Sureshs65
13th August 2008, 09:35 PM
I, for one, love 'Dhanam Dhanam' song, especially the first charanam, 'kuthu kuthu kuthu kuthu'. What energy !!

I agree with Thumburu on some of the lyrics. While I love 'Koothu Onnu', it is a bit tough to play in the house loudly. Same with 'Kattiluku Mattundhana'. I too wish the lyrics weren't so explicit. Maybe it has to do with the situation. But a lovely song nevertheless.

The orchestration for 'Kannanukku' shows what a master can do. It is very easy to let a semi-classical number go on with simple beats. The tune will carry it through. Not for Raja. He starts the song with the drums. During the first charanam, the tabla accompanies but the playing is not continuous. There is a small pause in the beats. When it comes to the second charanam the tabla plays continuously. When the song ends, it is the tabla which is playing along with the pallavi and not the drums. You don't notice the change at all !!

I too couldn't figure out the raga of 'Kannanukku'. Given that I heard shades of Shanmukhapriya during the swara singing, there is a possibility of this being Natabhairavi. Will rip it and send it to a friend for his opinion.

S.Suresh

jaiganes
13th August 2008, 09:42 PM
since he has the mass of international fans.

Idhellaam overu :)
No Indian MD has international fans for him yet.
And Marma Yogi is going to be an international hit..is it ?? :lol:

There is a fan named 'massimo simmoni' for an Indian MD. The fan was so fascinated with the composers music that he arranged a musical show by the composer in Italy :)
Not to take away the credit from other composers, there is also a fan named Andrew Llyod Webber for another Indian MD. :oops:
but yes these are few stray instances and there is no fan following in a mass scale, for any Indian MD in international arena. :|

To set things in right perspective, ALWebber had a friend called Shekar Kapur who was totally enchanted by Rahman songs - so he made sure that ALW listened to Rahman songs and so the idea of Bombay Dreams began - It always requires a landed resource - a desi fan to spread our cultural icons to the outside world from where there are a lot of things to learn. How did you come across Pink Floyd? Because someone in your college or school introduced him to you - so it needs our guys with capacity outside our country to do that - however most of our guys outside are not of the outgoing type and think that the musi composer who composesi n the western style is the one who would be more cool to project in front of a forigner than someone who composes 'paadariyen padippariyen'. and therein lies the reasons...

app_engine
13th August 2008, 09:56 PM
>>so it needs our guys with capacity outside our country to do that <<

That's not a big deal, there are a lot of them here in U.S. who have the capability to easily connect our artists with some of the decent names / studios / labels abroad. And many of them love IR's music as well.

There are two problems
1. Most of such people may not have any kind of access to IR
2. Even if some can connect with IR, he may not be in a mood to work with them or even work on any such assignment (probably the symphony #1 experience made him bitter)

I think IR of today is comfortable to ONLY work with his "existing" admirers who are in the business / entering the business.

Possibly not interested in marketing himself to unknown businessmen who should be convinced of his prowess. He is simply not interested in submitting his resume:-)

Hulkster
14th August 2008, 07:33 AM
Very reliable sources informed that Ayya refused to work with Bharath Bhala on a gigantic international project recently.The movie is said to have south indias top names along with prominent orient superstars.Any one heard such a thing???It feels bad to see IR missing out on some grand projects where there is hope for great music. Like this one and Marudhunayagam. I felt the same way for Dasavatharam, until I saw the movie - then I was glad that IR stayed away from that joke of a movie.

And i was here thinking Bharat Bala only goes for ARR. Well if that is true and you add in previous rejected movies, IR could have well been commercially number 1 if he wanted but i guess he has no interest in such things and prefers a "low" profile. Besides if your a true blue music composer u dunt need big budget films to show your talent. Anyone remembers karagattakaran which just ran for music? :D

crvenky
14th August 2008, 10:13 AM
rajaalltheway,

I read about a Kamal's movie '19 Steps' with Walt Disney (after Marmayogi), which will have Bharat Bala as director. This film is supposed to be based on Japanese martial arts and Indian Kalaripayattu. I think this is the movie for which Bharat Bala would have approached IR.

Check this link:
http://www.extramirchi.com/movies/kamal-hassan-and-asin-in-walt-disneys-film-19-steps/

raja_fan
14th August 2008, 10:22 AM
If this is true, then it means IR has decided to part ways with Kamal.
And I welcome that, considering Kamal's form now :)

kameshratnam
14th August 2008, 12:12 PM
As raja has always claimed he shd soon try to come out of film music and do albums and he shd go to a new level.with films he wud always stay low..

as i have been telling, the 1st step towards it is releasing RPO

rajaalltheway
14th August 2008, 03:37 PM
rajaalltheway,

I read about a Kamal's movie '19 Steps' with Walt Disney (after Marmayogi), which will have Bharat Bala as director. This film is supposed to be based on Japanese martial arts and Indian Kalaripayattu. I think this is the movie for which Bharat Bala would have approached IR.

Check this link:
http://www.extramirchi.com/movies/kamal-hassan-and-asin-in-walt-disneys-film-19-steps/
Thanks for the link crv..my my thiss astonishing.I cant believe Ayya would refuse a movie with Kamalji no matter how much he gets sidelined

MrJudge
14th August 2008, 05:41 PM
Common Judge, Kamal is the one who always ropes in IR in every of his home production.In 80's and 90's kamal wasn't required to insist on IR to any director/producer as IR was a marketable brand, so there was no problem.

but now every one have their own choice of MD and kamal doesnt want to enter into that issue.Even then he has been accused as interfering in their work.

More over IR and Kamal have good raport between them, there is mutual respect ( do you remember kamal's "kittathata Bharthikku equavalna talentthan idhu").

Not like Rajini, who avoided IR purely for commercial purpose, kmaml is not able to rope IR now a days as most of his recent/future movies are not his own production.

I see it different. He always plays safe. He knows that he will need IR back someday, so whenever he goes out of IR, he will say 'my first choice was IR blah blah blah....' Do you seriously think if Kamal wanted IR for his anbe Sivam and Sundar C rejected? Do guys like Sundar, SureshKrishna or KSR have guts to say no to Kamal's idea? He doesn't need to admit it openly, he should just move on with his projects with some md he likes, who cares? But this is irritating to hear the same old lame excuse again and again. It is high time IR wakes up and says no to his projects now and in the future.

MrJudge
14th August 2008, 05:43 PM

I don't buy this crap. Bharath Bala goes to IR???? Media :twisted:

krish244
14th August 2008, 07:09 PM
Wanted to listen to "Idhaya Kovil" songs, so ventured into thiraipaadal site.

Listen to the song "Yaar Veettu Roja" song. Check out from 4:40.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00211.html

enjoy,

Krishnan

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 07:13 PM
I see it different. He always plays safe. He knows that he will need IR back someday, so whenever he goes out of IR, he will say 'my first choice was IR blah blah blah....' Do you seriously think if Kamal wanted IR for his anbe Sivam and Sundar C rejected? Do guys like Sundar, SureshKrishna or KSR have guts to say no to Kamal's idea? He doesn't need to admit it openly, he should just move on with his projects with some md he likes, who cares? But this is irritating to hear the same old lame excuse again and again. It is high time IR wakes up and says no to his projects now and in the future.
:rotfl:
The lack of reasoning is appalling to say the least.
Why would he go for IR for Mumbai Xpress and why didn't he give an excuse (which came AFTER Anbe Sivam)? Why didn't he give an excuse for all his home productions (barring an exception or two)???? Do you have any idea what happened during Nammavar??? Self-delusion at its best! If you have no clue about what actually happened, its better you get into all openings closed airtight shut mode :shhh:

He was the one who batted for Raaja when not many were doing that.

P.S: However, for the record, for Marmayogi, ARR was the first and only choice

irir123
14th August 2008, 09:20 PM

why so ?

rajasaranam
14th August 2008, 10:38 PM

why so ?

Because 'Chandrahaasan' was a powerful man in Kamal's household that he decided it will be none other than ARR to compose music for their next production venture 'Marmayogi' - as told umpteen times by Kamal Fans :lol:

irir123
15th August 2008, 08:33 AM
But the same Chandrahassan went on record saying something like IR's music for Hey Ram brought tears from my eyes, fluid from my nose etc etc! didnt he ?!

Fliflo
15th August 2008, 06:35 PM
Ada Udungappa!

"Ponaal Pogattum Poda
Inthe Cinemavil
Nilayaai Irunthavar Yaarada"

There may be number of things we may not be aware. IR knows, probably, Kamal knows...But IR has seen this type of things over 900 movies....So lets keep move on.

thamizhvaanan
15th August 2008, 07:59 PM

dont make such sweeping statements like you've analyzed the lenght and breadth of the world. An extract from Amazon.com for sample.. there are quite a few writeups like this from international fans scattered across the internet.

The Genius of the Heart, June 18, 2004
By S. Ferguson - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Although I am a native American who grew up in Texas on Lightin' Hopkins and Ray Charles, with a diverse taste in music from Mozart to Bill Evans to Emmy Lou Harris, I now listen primarily to A.R. Rahman - and frankly have just about lost interst in any other music.

Rahman is the genius of melody and subtle percussion. His music has evolved out of India, but it also comes from what must be his personal enormous heart-felt love for all of life, humanity and God. His grasp of the eternal and the transcendental in melody will bring tears to your eyes and long lost feelings into your heart.

Rahman is a superstar composer worldwide, loved by literally millions, and appreciated by great musicians in every country all over the planet. I'm delighted SONY has released this, because not only is it breathtaking, magical music that draws you into far away exotic realms, but it is commercially accessible to us as westerners and perhaps it will introduce many more to the Genius of the Heart - A.R. Rahman.

I can't say enough good things about his music. Look him up on the internet - there are dozens of websites devoted to him, his music, and his remarkable life. A modern day Orpheus, India's Mozart - Awesome!

rooky
15th August 2008, 09:15 PM

dont make such sweeping statements like you've analyzed the lenght and breadth of the world. An extract from Amazon.com for sample.. there are quite a few writeups like this from international fans scattered across the internet.

The Genius of the Heart, June 18, 2004
By S. Ferguson - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Although I am a native American who grew up in Texas on Lightin' Hopkins and Ray Charles, with a diverse taste in music from Mozart to Bill Evans to Emmy Lou Harris, I now listen primarily to A.R. Rahman - and frankly have just about lost interst in any other music.

Rahman is the genius of melody and subtle percussion. His music has evolved out of India, but it also comes from what must be his personal enormous heart-felt love for all of life, humanity and God. His grasp of the eternal and the transcendental in melody will bring tears to your eyes and long lost feelings into your heart.

Rahman is a superstar composer worldwide, loved by literally millions, and appreciated by great musicians in every country all over the planet. I'm delighted SONY has released this, because not only is it breathtaking, magical music that draws you into far away exotic realms, but it is commercially accessible to us as westerners and perhaps it will introduce many more to the Genius of the Heart - A.R. Rahman.

I can't say enough good things about his music. Look him up on the internet - there are dozens of websites devoted to him, his music, and his remarkable life. A modern day Orpheus, India's Mozart - Awesome!

It is natural for Media/People of Britain and India to hype up their own heroes (like hailing a local hero as international superstar).It is in our Genes and we can't change it.We always would look for a thing or two like the one you have mentioned to feed our egos(thinking My hero is the best in the world).We do know that there are people across countries who recognise IR,ARR,Kamal and Rajini.But,they are not big in numbers.our media always talks about Hollywood recognistion.But, for general Public there or their Industry, very few would have heard of these names.

It is nice to feel that our own heros are World Heros,but it hasn't happened as yet.I am not talking about talent,I am talking about recognition.

app_engine
15th August 2008, 09:31 PM
Digression

Now Gandhiji is well recognized in the west:-) Yesterday I was in a meeting and the (American) speaker was quoting Gandhiji frequently!

End-digression

Many of my friends appeciate IFM greatly (one has even subscribed to Hindi TV channels). Some love Indian food.

The awareness / recognition is slowly coming up in U.S., IMO.

I saw the CD's of ARR in display in "Borders" Dearborn, MI (which has great amount of Arabic population but not so much of Indians). The recognition of "Sanjaya" in the 2007 American Idol is another thing (I don't watch that program and not sure what songs he sang - but it is a phone voting show and that an Indian could get to such stage means they are making the mark).

app_engine
15th August 2008, 09:40 PM
One of the main reasons for less recognition of our artists in the west during the post-independence period was the Govt's foreign policies IMO which totally eclipsed their output reaching outside the country, pretty much (except the sub-continent).

It took a more than a decade since "liberalization" to reverse a little bit. However, with the IT diaspora making a greater impact around the globe, recognition of the artists also won't be far behind.

app_engine
15th August 2008, 10:04 PM
Taking into account IR's approach to music (& business / people etc), his international recognition is almost out of question.

So, talent-wise, the next best hope for TFM / IFM is ARR and let's celebrate as his reach increases ! :-)

Fliflo
15th August 2008, 10:06 PM
[tscii:92c6e8c2e2]http://www.keralanext.com/Kerala/read.asp?id=1282089

Music maestro Ilayaraja has been always exceptional when ever he took time to give music to Malayalam films.

His innumerable number of hits in Malayalam had been the favorites of many in the industry. After the recent success of ‘Innathe Chintha Vishayam', Ilayaraja will once again give music to another Mollywood flick 'Manikantan'.

An animation film based on the legend of Lord Ayyappa, the movie will be made simultaneously in Malayalam, Kannada, Tamil, Hindi and Telugu.

Ilayaraja will give tunes to six songs for each version. The recording of the songs for the film was held at Mumbai recently.[/tscii:92c6e8c2e2]

kameshratnam
18th August 2008, 01:03 PM
Why do we need Kamal and Rajini for IR at this stage....

Always remember the magic of IR's music for these heroes

Sudhakar,Mike Mohan, Pasunesan and Ayya Raj Kran

irir123
19th August 2008, 09:40 AM
Digression: happened to watch Balu Mahendra's "Adhu oru kanaa kaalam" - OMG! cudnt believe that BM cud make such an absymally hopeless movie - if this is the kind of drivel an ace filmmaker like BM can come up with, and if IR continues to work only with such 'veterans', he doesnt have much scope for doing anything creative

MrJudge
19th August 2008, 12:37 PM
Guys,

How is malle puvvu doing in Andra? Good?

kameshratnam
19th August 2008, 01:10 PM
Kamal is a great artist but with reference to ilayaraaja and sivaji he is only fit to call them my icon Sivaji Saab and my fav MD iayaraaja in the north indian news channels. He does not show it in actions and today IR doesnt require a kamal or a rajini to boost himself up
Bala was a starter when he did sethu..wasnt the magic created again...
Same goes with directors like vasanth..kathir..thangar bachan.and the directors of valmiki..mayilu...dhanam...

krish244
19th August 2008, 09:05 PM
Update on "Pa"!

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=22034

"Music? Ah Ilaiyaraja again. I worship the man. And the cinematography will be by none other than P C Sreeeram, again after Cheeni Kam."

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
19th August 2008, 09:16 PM
Update on "Pa"!

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=22034

"Music? Ah Ilaiyaraja again. I worship the man. And the cinematography will be by none other than P C Sreeeram, again after Cheeni Kam."

thanks,

Krishnan

january'la thaan start avuthu movie! Think It will get released only in 2010 :(

MrJudge
19th August 2008, 11:08 PM

While TN directors are afraid to use IR even for their tamil projects due to his non-saleable status, looks like one more 'fool' still investing on IR and that too in Bollywood :D

rajasaranam
20th August 2008, 01:27 AM
While TN directors are afraid to use IR even for their tamil projects due to his non-saleable status, looks like one more 'fool' still investing on IR and that too in Bollywood :D

When a director is confident about his script and if he knows who can give him the best music then nobody can stop him 8-)
Balki made a success with 'Cheenikum' there ends everything.

raja_fan
20th August 2008, 08:48 AM
When a director is confident about his script and if he knows who can give him the best music then nobody can stop him
Balki made a success with 'Cheenikum' there ends everything.

Ellaam sari thaan. But if he is going to butcher the songs in the film, like what he did in CK, apparam irukku.. :evil:

ananth222
20th August 2008, 09:01 AM
Ellaam sari thaan. But if he is going to butcher the songs in the film, like what he did in CK, apparam irukku.. :evil:Actually, I thought Balki handled the songs well in the film. Cutting them short made the film look more professional, classy (standing apart from other similar fares). full songs are for the CD. BGM is for the movie. The BGM in CK sounded even better, maybe cos the songs were short and bgm got more attention...

raja_fan
20th August 2008, 10:41 AM
But people remember songs for long only through repeated playing of the song on TV, not by audio !

Many gems of IR have gone unnoticed just because they did not come in the film :(
The best example is "Devanin koil.." from Aruvadai Naal. What a song !! and how less popular it is :(

rajasaranam
20th August 2008, 11:52 AM
But people remember songs for long only through repeated playing of the song on TV, not by audio !

ChenniKam title Song was a big hit that now there is German Version Remixed and Floating Around :)
All songs from CK were Played frequently in North Channels while the film was in theatres. Many of my north Indian friends love the song but as is todays trend people move to newer 'Hits' rather than lingering on a song that was good 3 months ago :|

viraajan
20th August 2008, 12:37 PM

ChenniKam title Song was a big hit that now there is German Version Remixed and Floating Around :)
All songs from CK were Played frequently in North Channels while the film was in theatres. Many of my north Indian friends love the song but as is todays trend people move to newer 'Hits' rather than lingering on a song that was good 3 months ago :|

Not only that, IMHO (i have some north indian friends) majority of the youngsters prefer songs with heavy beats and sounds. They loved songs which had nothing but sound. They even said CK songs aren't too good. This is one main reason why CK songs were not heard for long time.

PS: This is just my opinion. Please do not take this to heart :D

raja_fan
20th August 2008, 01:01 PM
ChenniKam title Song was a big hit that now there is German Version Remixed and Floating Around

How do you say CK title song was a big hit ?
Don't go by the times when the movie was running..even crap numbers will find its place in TV channels when the movie is running..

And this german version..it depends on how is it being received ? My opinion abt this german version is "Sahikkalai" :)

MrJudge
20th August 2008, 01:15 PM
And this german version..it depends on how is it being received ? My opinion abt this german version is "Sahikkalai" :)

To me, even the hindi version of his classics in Cheeni Kum are not up to the mark. The originals in tamil always sound million times better. The German version is definitely not meant for IR fans, and it is for people who are alien to IR's music. :D

My wish to Balki is 'please force Raja to use manual orchestra', whether he reuses IR's old songs or requests for new songs isn't my interest. 'Make IR to do it at any cost'.

crvenky
20th August 2008, 01:47 PM
Manikan about to be released:

http://www.indiatales.com/

I received this mail just now:

Ilaiyaraaja is launching a new album this Friday and wants his most
loyal fans to have first opportunity to learn of it and to buy it. We
are helping him to tell people about the album. We have signed up on
your chat group as one of the many ways we are helping him to reach out to his fans.
Ilaiyaraaja has asked us to distribute a letter from him to your group this Friday. What is the best way for us to do that?

We are IndiaTales Media Pvt Ltd, a Bangalore based company that has worked with the Maestro to deliver this great new album for his
following. Our chat group ID is indiatales.mgm@gmail.com /
indiatales@yahoo.com . We wanted you to know about who we are and why we are joing your group. If you have any questions for us, feel free to respond back to our email ID or at dilip@indiatales.com / sooraj@indiatales.com and also check out our website at www.IndiaTales.com.

Thanking You,
indiatales

kameshratnam
20th August 2008, 02:15 PM
Is india tales talking about that one way group in yahoo

crvenky
20th August 2008, 03:15 PM
Kamesh,
I got this on my personal mail id and posted the same on other Yahoo groups. I got another reply from Dilip Raj mentioned in the above message.

IR Fans, let us all mail him and assure him of our support on this.

rashid2raj
21st August 2008, 02:04 AM
I lost the respect i had for IR ! ... His fan base always claim, that he's the only one in industry not using those commercial samples/loops and always being so ORIGINAL, - so recently when i heard "Dhanam", i got shocked hearing a common used sample in his song. OMG .. hmm. Actually the Raaga sample thing, which YSR already used for Pudhupettai.

Don't mistaken me, using samples/loops isn't wrong. However i've just always thought that IR did everything by himself. Maybe, it's just me then ? hmm.

rashid2raj
21st August 2008, 02:05 AM
One more thing, why is IR Cd's priced lower than any other cd? I bought Dhanam for just 50 rupees. Strange, isn't?

jaiganes
21st August 2008, 02:24 AM
Their website looks genuine.
I am excited about the Aiyappa geeta maala album.

MumbaiRamki
21st August 2008, 10:36 AM
Don't mistaken me, using samples/loops isn't wrong. However i've just always thought that IR did everything by himself. Maybe, it's just me then ? hmm.

he has used loops quite number of times, but only in a very small way . One famous loop is the second interlude rythm of naan thanga roja in TIME .

njv
21st August 2008, 12:04 PM
One more thing, why is IR Cd's priced lower than any other cd? I bought Dhanam for just 50 rupees. Strange, isn't?

IR lost his commercial peak now. So its not strange.

Remember in 80s and 90s IR picture in the movie poster ensured minimum return. Many other MDs picture now appears, but non ensure commercial success of the movie.

MrJudge
21st August 2008, 12:08 PM

May be due to his low royalty fees?? I guess the cheapest was Sivi, the Cd was sold for 20 Rs or so by the audio company itself to fight out the piracy.

rashid2raj
21st August 2008, 02:39 PM

Remember in 80s and 90s IR picture in the movie poster ensured minimum return. Many other MDs picture now appears, but non ensure commercial success of the movie.

I think he has also lost his musical peek. I feel his name gets spoiled a bit. His songs goes unnoticed even after pricing his cd's lower than the others in industry? Well, when i saw the Dhanam ad, i got these IR goosebumps, don't know why. Was thrilled to hear some good stuff from him and the ad's looked promising. However, after i heard the songs, i trashed the entire album :roll:

Maybe he's feeling self-satisfaction by doing these movies?

njv
21st August 2008, 05:20 PM

I think he has also lost his musical peek. I feel his name gets spoiled a bit. His songs goes unnoticed even after pricing his cd's lower than the others in industry? Well, when i saw the Dhanam ad, i got these IR goosebumps, don't know why. Was thrilled to hear some good stuff from him and the ad's looked promising. However, after i heard the songs, i trashed the entire album :roll:

Maybe he's feeling self-satisfaction by doing these movies?

Amen. Same here. I throwed Dhanam to attic after first hearing. Revisited yesterday based on Suresh's suggestion and throwed again.

ananth222
21st August 2008, 07:32 PM
if you are talking so much about Dhanam, then i don't think its that "unnoticed". This is better than disappearing without anyone mentioning anything about it.

rooky
21st August 2008, 10:19 PM
News not for those pessimists filling up the recent pages...

Mallepuvvu likely to release on September 11..
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/40917.html

ARUNPRAKASHKRISHNAN
21st August 2008, 10:21 PM
what happened to ajantha?

Sanjeevi
21st August 2008, 10:37 PM
Amen. Same here. I throwed Dhanam to attic after first hearing. Revisited yesterday based on Suresh's suggestion and throwed again.

Ilaiyarajava field out akka vera yaarum venam sila IR fansa pothum :banghead:

neengalla ethukku CD vangi throw pannanum. Athuthan evvalavo sites irukku samples kettka athukku appuram vanga vendiyathuthana :huh:

BTW I doubt musical taste of one's who do not like kannanukku enna vendum song

rajasaranam
21st August 2008, 11:36 PM
neengalla ethukku CD vangi throw pannanum. Athuthan evvalavo sites irukku samples kettka athukku appuram vanga vendiyathuthana :huh:

Dhanam CD Indialaye Seriya Kediakrathu illa, njv irukrathu US'la athulaye theriya vaendaam Avar Barul vudrarunnu :) Ethukku chumma Neenga Vilakkam ellam kuduththuttu irukeenga :|

ananth222
21st August 2008, 11:43 PM
Dhanam CD Indialaye Seriya Kediakrathu illa, njv irukrathu US'la athulaye theriya vaendaam Avar Barul vudrarunnu :) Ethukku chumma Neenga Vilakkam ellam kuduththuttu irukeenga :|
:rotfl: I think thats why he said I throwed "Dhanam" to the attic, and not "Dhanam CD"...
If Usha akka's thread is still alive, "Kannanukku" will be song of the day sometime in 2020. At that time, when we are recollecting our memories fondly, these people will be thinking "wow, how did we miss this gem?" ;)

krish244
22nd August 2008, 09:07 AM
what happened to ajantha?

Ok...here is the latest news about Ajanta!

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE420080822002119&Page=4&Title=Entertainment&Topic=0

"...In order to check piracy, the audio CD is priced at Rs 19 while VCD containing four songs of the film comes at Rs 6. Vennelakanti has penned the lyrics."

Somewhere else I read that its going to release in September/October. Forgot the link.

thanks,

Krishnan

MrJudge
22nd August 2008, 09:38 AM

Yes, kannanukku is the best song in recent times. The blend of synth in pallavi and traditional instrument in charanam is neatly done, def. betten than UO songs.

viraajan
22nd August 2008, 10:04 AM

Yes, kannanukku is the best song in recent times. The blend of synth in pallavi and traditional instrument in charanam is neatly done, def. betten than UO songs.

Exactly. Listen to the first interlude. Starts with a flute and a violin, tabla joins in the middle... :musicsmile:
bhavadharani vocals - :hammer:

MrJudge
22nd August 2008, 11:20 AM
Guys, look at the stills of Vaalmiki, they are good:

http://indiainteracts.com/movies/tamil/gallery/valmiki/intheatre/1/

Along with NK, Nandhalala, Vaalmiki is the next one I am looking forward to.

viraajan
22nd August 2008, 11:54 AM
Guys, look at the stills of Vaalmiki, they are good:

http://indiainteracts.com/movies/tamil/gallery/valmiki/intheatre/1/

Along with NK, Nandhalala, Vaalmiki is the next one I am looking forward to.

Nandhalala is one album am very eagerly waiting for. Coz Myshkin's interview in AV was so poetic and created very high expectations...

MrJudge
22nd August 2008, 12:03 PM
Nandhalala is one album am very eagerly waiting for. Coz Myshkin's interview in AV was so poetic and created very high expectations...

Yes, sure. Also looking at Vaalmiki stills, I can sense that the director has good taste in visuals, so he is in the list of look-forward-to director in my book. :D

njv
22nd August 2008, 12:28 PM

I have some of rare to find CDs that you guys can only dream about getting or only can listen from a cheap streaming site. I take pain, effort and pride to collect them. Dont misjudge and try to get attention here. There are other ways to do it.

crvenky
22nd August 2008, 01:26 PM
Manikantan Geet Mala - complete album and ordering details:

http://www.indiatales.com/mgm/gold.php

SVN
22nd August 2008, 03:28 PM
I am more keen on buying the Telugu/ Kannada version ;)

njv
22nd August 2008, 05:44 PM
Manikantan Geet Mala - complete album and ordering details:

http://www.indiatales.com/mgm/gold.php

FYI, they have got their act based on my email (i.e. link through indiatales to purchase the CD wasnt working yesterday) and made it working. They have also added teh international CC option as well. Unfortunately they havent add Mastercard, which they "promised" they will be adding in a day or two.

people who questioned if I have Dhanam CD - ungalukku neengalae thandanai koduthukkunga.

krish244
22nd August 2008, 08:00 PM
Listening to "Yaarum" and "Yarukku" songs from Ajantha. The song "Yaarum" has a nice flow with vintage IR orchestration (interludes). Looks like major portions of orchestra (strings, etc in interludes) is manual. Right? What I like about Shreya's singing is that she gets most of the pronounciations right and with feeling. Great for a north indian singer to sing with such involvement. Tune and orchestra is vintage IR.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00028.html

"Yaarukku" is another song where orchestra is vintage IR. Again looks (strings) looks manual. Prelude/Interludes are priceless.

First time I listened to these in musicindiaonline I think (when I reviewed). After that only now I am listening to it on mp3. Even then I liked it, but after listening to it on mp3, I am realizing the magic of orchestration.

thanks,

Krishnan

viraajan
22nd August 2008, 08:05 PM
Listening to "Yaarum" and "Yarukku" songs from Ajantha. The song "Yaarum" has a nice flow with vintage IR orchestration (interludes). Looks like major portions of orchestra (strings, etc in interludes) is manual. Right? What I like about Shreya's singing is that she gets most of the pronounciations right and with feeling. Great for a north indian singer to sing with such involvement. Tune and orchestra is vintage IR.

Yaarum is my pick.

And reg, Shreya Koshal - You'll rarely find bad diction with her when she sings for IR. Credits goes to IR. :notworthy: Thanks to IR

Her songs for other MDs had pathetic pronounciation at times :confused:

ananth222
22nd August 2008, 09:56 PM
While "yaarum" is the sweetest, I think "thoorigai" has more complex orchestration. Not as sweet or easily appeasing as the others, but interesting all the same.

rajasaranam
22nd August 2008, 11:13 PM
Good that fans have started revisiting Ajantha :) it was one of most underrated albums by Raaja fans in the recent times :|

raja_fan
24th August 2008, 09:35 AM
தமிழில் டயிப் செய்து பார்க்கிரேன். மன்னிக்கவும்.

raja_fan
26th August 2008, 01:22 PM
Guys,

any other movie release in near future apart from Mallepuvvu and Manikantan ?
romba bore adikkudhappa !

raagas
26th August 2008, 05:13 PM
My first post here, although i have been reading posts here since many months and know most of the folks here, by name..like raajasaranam.

A hindi film, named SRK , could be next release of IR. It is an offbeat film (multiplex kind), with character actor Vinay Pathak in lead role. The director is a debutant.

We have one more Hindi film 'Chal Chale' which has IR's music.

And btw, i think one Malayalam film Pazhani Raja or something like that, has IR's music. I have seen it in one of the Malayalam songs (streaming audio) sites but songs havent been added yet. It could be the next release.

rajasaranam
26th August 2008, 05:38 PM
raagas - Welcome to the World of Raaaja :)

raagas
26th August 2008, 07:01 PM
thanks rajasaranam. i read most of your posts and liked them...atleast the ones in english. I dont know tamil :( thats why. ofcourse, when it comes to IR music, tamil or malayalam or telugu or greek or latin or whatever... i dont care... i connect to his music, than the lyrics.
happy to be here.

ARUNPRAKASHKRISHNAN
26th August 2008, 09:06 PM
ajantha eppo release?

app_engine
26th August 2008, 09:58 PM
[tscii:3805181acc]http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/08/22/stories/2008082251070200.htm

Sudha Raghunathan says the UO song was a tough one:-)

From the above link:

Forays into films – Why?
I keep experimenting, for novelty. When film offers came in I did cash in on them. I won the Best Female Playback Singer award (2002) of the Southern India Cinematographers Association, thanks to maestro Ilaiyarajaa’s soulful music for the film “Ivan.” I did a modern number for his son, Yuvan in “Satham Podathey.” I found a new dimension in my voice then. In “Morning Raga” it was exciting to sing Thayae Yashoda. Yes! The Thodi song in a setting of fusion. In “Uliyin Osai” it was a classical number; a tough one indeed. I perceive cinema as an opportunity to spread my wings. Nothing more.
[/tscii:3805181acc]

Sureshs65
27th August 2008, 01:48 PM
I have been listening to 'Dhanam' and 'Mallepoovu' regularly. In 'Dhanam', I find 'kattilukku mattumdhana' very attractive. The rhythm is excellent and the guitar adds to the pep of the song. I wish that the guitars continued for some more time after the song had ended. There is good scope for guitar solo at the end of this song. Infact I feel in many Illayaraja songs there is good scope for guitar improvisations.

crvenky
27th August 2008, 04:28 PM
Kalathai vendra (UO) sounds similar to Kadappurathoru (SMS). Is it because of MMG raga?

raagas
27th August 2008, 06:37 PM
Kalaithera from UO is keeravani i think. I am not sure about Pallavi, but charanams seem Keeravani.

Sureshs65
28th August 2008, 10:22 AM
To me, both the songs have a touch of MMG but they are not MMG. My feeling is that both could be 'Vakulabaranam'. (Based on thumbur's observations earlier). A similar song seems to be 'Varavelkumo' from Pachakuthira, where you can discern the MMG touch but the song doesn't seem to be MMG. I am not too familiar with Vakulabaranam. There is one song of Tyagaraja in this raga, which I have heard Nityashree render once.

rooky
28th August 2008, 12:25 PM
Dhanam to release on Sep5.

raagas
28th August 2008, 04:57 PM
IR's devotional album 'Manikantan' is likely to release soon.
The trailers have been posted here: http://www.indiatales.com/mgm/trailers.php

Hulkster
28th August 2008, 05:03 PM
The backgrounds are devoid of synth and the quality is good. But they are too short to judge. O Breeze take my song to all is wonderful.

vel
28th August 2008, 05:25 PM
dear arunprakashkrishnan - you didnt say anything more about your experiences during UO recordings - apart from that one posting :-(

dochu
28th August 2008, 06:02 PM
Manikantan is rocking!!! - especially listening in all 4 languages. Somehow malayalam seems to sound 'nicer'.

refreshing with simple tunes and lack of jarring synth stuff.

NormalMan
28th August 2008, 07:24 PM
Interesting to see SPB singing Telugu & Kannada versions. His version rocks and so pleasing.

rajasaranam
28th August 2008, 08:10 PM
After a long long time IR-SPB are coming together and they are rocking as usual :D hope this continues for films too :|

rajasaranam
28th August 2008, 08:14 PM
BTW I dont like the CD Image Graphics, They Butchered the Cover of 'thiruvaasagam' too like this :( but the thiruvaasagam Released by agimusic had great images :|

MumbaiRamki
28th August 2008, 09:18 PM
O Breeze take my song to all is amazing ! Somehow reminded me of the minimalstic en swase kaatre song kind of feel !

raja_fan
29th August 2008, 06:34 AM
When I click on any song, nothing happens and no pop-up comes :(
I have not blocked pop-ups. I just see "javascript;" on the status bar.

Can any one help ?

ananth222
29th August 2008, 08:00 AM
When I click on any song, nothing happens and no pop-up comes :(
I have not blocked pop-ups. I just see "javascript;" on the status bar.

Can any one help ?
Are you using FF? FF always had problems playing embedded audio.
Works fine in IE.

raja_fan
29th August 2008, 08:43 AM
I am using IE version 6!

raja_fan
29th August 2008, 09:32 AM
Able to hear the songs now !

But I am disappointed. There is no devotional feel. For the hype they created, I expected some soulful devotionals like "Ramana malai" or "Geethanjali". This album is far from that :(
May be I shouldn't have expected.

raja_fan
29th August 2008, 09:44 AM
The best Ayyappa album I have ever heard is this one by K.J.Y released by Tarangini some 20 years back.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/devotional/s/album.512/

jaiganes
29th August 2008, 09:45 AM
My first post here, although i have been reading posts here since many months and know most of the folks here, by name..like raajasaranam.

A hindi film, named SRK , could be next release of IR. It is an offbeat film (multiplex kind), with character actor Vinay Pathak in lead role. The director is a debutant.

We have one more Hindi film 'Chal Chale' which has IR's music.

And btw, i think one Malayalam film Pazhani Raja or something like that, has IR's music. I have seen it in one of the Malayalam songs (streaming audio) sites but songs havent been added yet. It could be the next release.

Latest update is that SRK is a remake/adaptation of 'Chintha vishishtyaya shamalan' which was remade in Thamizh as 'Chidambaraththil oru appasaamy' which also had Raaja's music!!!!

selvakumar
29th August 2008, 11:50 AM
The best Ayyappa album I have ever heard is this one by K.J.Y released by Tarangini some 20 years back.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/devotional/s/album.512/
Sarana Tarangini.. right ? I don't get the FEEL provided by this album from any others. A CLASSIC ALBUM !
Hariharaathmajam .... :notworthy:

RS,
Though I like SPB, he is not the BEST CHOICE when it comes to ayyappan songs. He is good :)

raja_fan
29th August 2008, 12:31 PM
selvakumar,

No. the album is from Tarangini audio and does not contain Hariharaathmajam. It contains just malayalam songs on Ayyappan by KJY and the feel is divine.

selvakumar
29th August 2008, 01:29 PM
r_f, musicindia is blocked here. I thought you are referring to that. KJY brings some special feel to devotional songs.

raja_fan
29th August 2008, 03:13 PM
KJY brings some special feel to devotional songs.

I agree. But regd the album I am talking about, I think the album name is "Aa divya naamam".
More than KJY, the music director of this album has put aptly divine tunes.

I expected IR to give some devotional tunes in Manikantan, but they sound cinematic to me at least :(

njv
29th August 2008, 05:23 PM

But I am disappointed. There is no devotional feel. For the hype they created, I expected some soulful devotionals like "Ramana malai" or "Geethanjali". This album is far from that :(

I thought we are not allowed to say such thing! Hmm. I guess rules are different for different people.

Where are the "IR" protectors!!! Common, please jump on raja_fan for talking his mind. Some one has to question raja_fans' ability to judge music if he dont like this album. Please com'on.

eagle
29th August 2008, 07:43 PM

I thought we are not allowed to say such thing! Hmm. I guess rules are different for different people.

Where are the "IR" protectors!!! Common, please jump on raja_fan for talking his mind. Some one has to question raja_fans' ability to judge music if he dont like this album. Please com'on.

NJV,
Superb... :D ... May be its time to split this thread into 2.
one is allowing only appreciation for any new album other one for critisizing it. cos we fans no longer able to find middle ground... :lol:

vel
30th August 2008, 11:07 AM
:lol: mr.njv

dont worry, we would be surprised only if R_F appreciated - if he is disappointed, that is not new to us 'IR_Protectors'.

Hulkster
30th August 2008, 06:31 PM
Thalaivar's official website has fantastic quality of dhanam songs. Damn there is not even a shop here that sells good quality of Dhanam songs. :angry2:

raagas
1st September 2008, 03:05 PM
I am an avid fan of IR, but not of every song. Like everyone does, i have my likes and dislikes and i dont mind keeping them apart.

Anyways, this album has some interesting songs, they sound melodic. but some songs dont seem be to captivating enough.
also, agreed that there is no written rule that devotional songs need to have certain kind of instruments only and one can use synth (experiment) there also...but the usage need to justify. The tracks "O Breeze" and "Without His Bidding" are without doubt very appealing, wonderful melody...but seem far from devotion. They sound more romantic. on the other hand "His Devotees are his Family" track has wonderful harmony and simple rhythm, collectively painting the devotional picture.
Even in Amma Pamalai, i liked the synth backed sound, but felt that it displaced devotion. Probably if we tune out minds that they are just plain songs (and not devotional songs), we might enjoy the album. The album does have some good songs...atleast 4-5 infact.

raja_fan
4th September 2008, 10:34 AM
Just before 2 months, people were jubiliant that IR has nearly 15 films in his hand !

But no film release in sight and nothing to discuss..
EKSI :( :(

MrJudge
4th September 2008, 03:55 PM
Just before 2 months, people were jubiliant that IR has nearly 15 films in his hand !

But no film release in sight and nothing to discuss..
EKSI :( :(

Dhanam naalai varuthu, I don't think people will throng to the theaters. So lets wait for NK to hit the stores for people's celebration here.

raja_fan
4th September 2008, 05:47 PM
Nk ? :LOL

raja_fan
4th September 2008, 05:48 PM
Nk ? ok..ok. :lol:

app_engine
5th September 2008, 12:22 AM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/8938.html

"Ilayaraja has provided a couple of catchy melodies and with his brisk background score"

MrJudge
5th September 2008, 10:53 AM
Looks like Dhanam movie is bad:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-reviews/reviews-2/dhanam-review.html

krish244
5th September 2008, 12:44 PM
Rediff review of "Dhanam":

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2008/sep/05ssd.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
5th September 2008, 01:44 PM
Ellaam expected thaan :) The trailer told it all long ago !
IR-idam vandhu kottappatta innoru kuppai. Indha azhagil avar romba selective-nu vera naama sollittu alaiyarom :(

njv
5th September 2008, 01:58 PM
[tscii:7af33a3a1d]Rediff "Last but not the least: get masters of their fields like Ilayaraja, Thottatharani, 'late' Jeeva and others to contribute towards music, cinematography and art direction � and then waste their respective talents"

Behindwoods: "Music by Ilaiyaraja seems average by the maestro’s high standards. However, there is one song with a classical touch which is bound to be liked by everyone."[/tscii:7af33a3a1d]

MumbaiRamki
5th September 2008, 02:18 PM
Raja_fan

With no biggies working with raaja , the only way he can judge is by intuition and recommendation . Dhanam story is best when its written by Balakumaran as a novel, but looks like its badly directed and conceived.

The very mention of a storyline of a prostitute turning good, fills my blood with cliches:)

app_engine
5th September 2008, 09:38 PM
'abhinayam kAttukindRa AraNangE' was on repeat mode this morning on my car, excellent song!

After a long time a really enjoyable instrumental piece in the end of the song - Raja doing some magic with strings, veeNai and phenomenal percussion! I think whenever Raja does an extended instrumental part to end a song, it turns out to be extraordinary!

The percussion is of very high order through out the song with excellent variations!

After hearing the song so many times, one thought came to my mind - and this is ofcourse not to undermine the greatness of the famous classical singers - I feel the song would have been even more endearing to me had people like VJ / KSC rendered this. For some reason, pure classical singers are not my #1 preference for film songs, even if the song is classical - semi classical etc.

While it's nice to have them sing other songs (I love BombayJayashree's vaseegara & BMK's chinnakkaNNan azhaikkiRAn, for e.g.), they tend to make it sound like an actual kachchEri if it's a classical song (and that's not my expectation in a movie song, unfortunately - however realistic it is). Or may be the obvious 'mudhirchchi' (in both senses) in their voices tend to make the song less youthful (and so less endearing to pAmarans like me).

I'm not sure how VJ's voice is at present but KSC should still be very good (pAdaRiyEn is one classic example how endearingly cinematic a classcial song can be).

Among males, KJY & TMS are perhaps excellent singers who can render carnatic songs in movies without "showing off" their training (while possibly having capabilities to do kachchEris well too, IMO).

MumbaiRamki
6th September 2008, 03:50 PM
Happened to see dhanam song Illamai Kanavugal Picturisation - Yucks man !

vem
7th September 2008, 06:49 AM
IR is over the hill and his creativity now is water under the bridge.

It is very painful to listen to his crappy songs these days after having been an ardent fan of his for the last 30 years.

His songs sound too predictable and sometimes I get the feeling that he is copying from his own run off the mill tunes.

With Kamal deserting him for his much aclaimed MY - which IR could perceive as rats deserting a sinking ship -, I think IR is left with no option but to call it quits. Otherwise, as it happens in this cruel world, he will be put to pasture as he is a has-been. So, Dhanam could very well be his swan song.

raja_fan
7th September 2008, 07:32 AM
With Kamal deserting him for his much aclaimed MY - which IR could perceive as rats deserting a sinking ship -, I think IR is left with no option but to call it quits.

When people here are worried that Dhanam does not deserve the excellent tunes provided by IR, this guy says IR has to quit the field just because Kamal deserted him..

Let Kamal wander like a ghost from one MD to another..Why should IR quit ? :banghead:

ezy0265
7th September 2008, 08:17 AM
Hi Vem,

You must be a masochist! to continue listening to IR songs when it is causing you so much pain???????

Do yourself a favour and stop listening to IR songs. Who the hell are you to suggest IR to quit? Even his father would not have that right.....

People with good taste for music still appreciate his high quality amazing tunes/melodies improvisations etc etc (even at this age!). Please select and listen to music as your taste suits; not too difficult to understand what kind of taste that it......

Cheers!

MrJudge
7th September 2008, 09:45 AM
With Kamal deserting him for his much aclaimed MY - which IR could perceive as rats deserting a sinking ship -, I think IR is left with no option but to call it quits.

Why should he quit? IR has better directors to work with, Bala, Mysskin and probably with Ameer. If you get frustrated with projects like Dhanam, no one can help you.

rooky
7th September 2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/41294.html

Mallepuvvu to release on September18th.

eagle
7th September 2008, 11:29 PM

Why should he quit? IR has better directors to work with, Bala, Mysskin and probably with Ameer. If you get frustrated with projects like Dhanam, no one can help you.

Thats wat... no one in the right frame of mind will ask him to quit... but fans are frustrated... the one song like 'nirpathuve" in bharathi
"ilangaathu" from pithaamagan is missing no one can deny that too... at this stage only gud directors can inspire him... saw the movie
" subramanyapuram' and the song "siru ponmani" cudnt help tears... wat a amazing tune!!! sounds fresh even today...

raagas
8th September 2008, 12:21 PM
IR is over the hill and his creativity now is water under the bridge.

It is very painful to listen to his crappy songs these days after having been an ardent fan of his for the last 30 years.

His songs sound too predictable and sometimes I get the feeling that he is copying from his own run off the mill tunes.

With Kamal deserting him for his much aclaimed MY - which IR could perceive as rats deserting a sinking ship -, I think IR is left with no option but to call it quits. Otherwise, as it happens in this cruel world, he will be put to pasture as he is a has-been. So, Dhanam could very well be his swan song.

Well, i also think on the same lines, but quite often, he springs back with a surprise...be it a Cheeni Kum or the recent Uliyin Osai. I dont see a reason why he should quit. Bad films for IR is not something new. He did bad films earlier too. But the point here is about the music.He really needs a director wtih good taste, insisting on what IR is best at..acoustic instrument music.Who knows, that might happen. Till then...if u like an album, add it to your collexn, else...discard it.
I wish IR does instrumental albums.

rooky
8th September 2008, 03:10 PM
Ajantha (kannada version) expected for sep18th release...source:bangalore mirror

kameshratnam
8th September 2008, 03:38 PM
[quote="raja_fan"]" Do any body here or yahoo fan club have contacts with his assistant / manager ?
quote]

Yahoo fan clubla oru album sari ellai enru sonal ..neenga gali..ur posts wud be deleted or u wud be brought under moderation..

And also i dont think none of us have the guts to go and talk to IR regarding this simply because we lack musical talent

For example if u go and tell him dhanam nalla ellai, he will ask enna nalla ellai...we simply cannot explain...he wud reply back to u telling that he did this and that which for u wud be greek and latin..

U can ask him to create more instrumental albums but even for that we have to ensure that people buy it..>TIS was a good example.

app_engine
8th September 2008, 05:29 PM
Another observation on 'abhinayam kAttukindRa' song (if wrong, others please correct me):

It appears that IR wants to prove "purists" that he is also one, by leaving out his favourtie toy - the bass guitar - for this song :-)

The closest song that I can compare with this is 'azhagu malarAda' of vaidhEhi kAthirundhAL, which scores over this in both the above aspects of my observation viz.

1. Regular movie playback singer used instead of carnatic singer(s)
2. Phenomenal bass-guitar scores that are trade mark of IR

I've posted sometime back about 'pAttucholli, pAdachcholli' too does not have bass guitar which would have taken it to greater levels.

In his prime period, no IR song will be without the prominent bass backing which we're so accustomed to (and the successful MD's of today like ARR, VS & HJ use freely as well). In fact, this was one of the major differentiators of IR from his illustrious predecessors.

Alas, nowadays he has probably gone into a "purist" mode that he doesn't use in many songs. Or is there any other reason?

Hulkster
8th September 2008, 05:39 PM
It depends on the situation, for koothu onnu of dhanam the bass lines were amazing. It really elevates the mood of the song. I see that he only uses it for certain situation nowadays as mood evoking instrument rather than a backline instrument.

MrJudge
9th September 2008, 09:35 AM
Saw the kaNNanukku enna vEndum song on TV, Bhavathaarini's voice doesn't suit Sangeetha at all. :banghead:

raja_fan
9th September 2008, 10:51 AM
Don't blame it on Bhavatharini..
Sangeetha doesn't suit a devotional song at all :)

MrJudge
9th September 2008, 11:39 AM

I am not blaming her, but disappointed to see IR using her for a middle age woman Sangeeta. If Bhavatharini sings for a school girl (like in Bharathi), I don't mind but here his choice was wrong and he wasted it. He should have used some aged voice.

raagas
9th September 2008, 03:33 PM

I am not blaming her, but disappointed to see IR using her for a middle age woman Sangeeta. If Bhavatharini sings for a school girl (like in Bharathi), I don't mind but here his choice was wrong and he wasted it. He should have used some aged voice.

you said it absolutely right. i think Shreya Goshal has a more complete voice than Bhavatharini, whose voice, is bit shallow. I dont say Bhavatharini has bad voice, but it is a bit weird for any actress firstly...as you said..it suits more for 15-19 age group roles played by anyone..and not a mature kind. Some shallow/hollowness.
But then, IR's favouritism towards her is understandable, given she is his daughter..yet, i wish he cuts through all that and looks at what is more appropriate to the song (forget the actress also). there are many songs which would have sounded much better with a more complete voice like Shreya or Sadhana or Sujatha or Chitra..

rajaalltheway
9th September 2008, 04:42 PM
sad to say ayyas choice of Bhavatha has killed many a potentially great songs..starting from mastana mastana to the recent kannanukku enna vendum.During solla marantha kathai there was a little tussle between Thangar and Ayya over Etho onnu ninaichirunthen song over Bhavathas rendition.

krish244
9th September 2008, 07:35 PM
Update on Nandalala:

"According to Mysskin, Illayaraja's songs are tremendously intense capturing the mood of the film in a big way and that the songs would be a big boost for the film as a whole"

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/41379.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
9th September 2008, 08:39 PM
"Shooting for the film is currently going on in Chennai and reports indicate that the climax scenes are being shot. However, all the song sequences are yet to be filmed. Songs are not going to be featured in the traditional format but as montage sequences."

OMG ! Myskkin, please.. please don't picturize the songs such that it cannot be played fully in any TV ! It will be like Cheeni Kum which will go unnoticed after the movie run is over ! :( :(
This director combination is very rare for IR nowadays and Mysskkin frightens us by these statements like songs will be with the sequence and cannot be played stand-alone !!!

ananth222
9th September 2008, 09:16 PM
"Shooting for the film is currently going on in Chennai and reports indicate that the climax scenes are being shot. However, all the song sequences are yet to be filmed. Songs are not going to be featured in the traditional format but as montage sequences."
I like this idea - Cheeni Kum was a much better movie and had a much better flow cos it didn't have full songs. This is a good step for IR - first songs as montages integrated into the movie, and hopefully eventually a full fledged musical (in the real sense - not just a movie with 25 songs). Really, do we still need IR churning out movie songs? Its been done to death... Lets think outside "oliyum oliyum"... Imagine a whole movie in the style of "randi randi randi"...

app_engine
9th September 2008, 09:26 PM
I like this idea - Cheeni Kum was a much better movie and had a much better flow cos it didn't have full songs.

Me too:-)

I watched CK on DVD recently and leaving out the last 20 minutes or so, it's a fantastic movie. The classics mudhal mariyAdhai & sindhi bhairavi had similar portions (though they also had full size songs that were extremely good).

Since I watch movies mostly on DVD's for the past few years, I don't even care anymore for most songs cause I typically skip them :-) If some director / MD can make me NOT to skip a song, that's an achievement nowadays:-))

MrJudge
9th September 2008, 09:35 PM
please don't picturize the songs such that it cannot be played fully in any TV !

I like montage songs. I hope atleast couple of songs will be in montage format in Nandhalala. Why they won't play full songs on tv? iLangAththu was a montage song and it was aired more often.

k_vanan
10th September 2008, 11:19 AM
Good review from Telugucinema.com

http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publish/featurearticles/mallepuvvu_audio.php

njv
12th September 2008, 09:21 AM
Lets think outside "oliyum oliyum"... Imagine a whole movie in the style of "randi randi randi"...

I agree with u totally. IR has done enough on the regular movie song crap. he need something different to stimulate and challenge his brain and myskin seems to have done that. expectation now grows more, but athai adakku adakku endru solkirathu uLmanam

raja_fan
13th September 2008, 10:57 AM
ananth222 wrote:
Lets think outside "oliyum oliyum"... Imagine a whole movie in the style of "randi randi randi"...

hmm.."oliyum oliyum", "vividh bharathi" ivai ellaam illainaa innikku Ilaiyaraajavum illai..avarukku nammai pola rasigargalum illai..

My wish is IR's efforts should not go waste just as song clippings..like what happened in CK. I want the songs in a format that can be played on TV/Radio even after 20 years..Cheeni Kum will fail to do it..

jaiganes
14th September 2008, 06:12 AM
ananth222 wrote:

hmm.."oliyum oliyum", "vividh bharathi" ivai ellaam illainaa innikku Ilaiyaraajavum illai..avarukku nammai pola rasigargalum illai..

My wish is IR's efforts should not go waste just as song clippings..like what happened in CK. I want the songs in a format that can be played on TV/Radio even after 20 years..Cheeni Kum will fail to do it..

I beg to differ Raja_Fan.
Cheeni kum songs were remix of earlier gems. it deserves to be forgotten while the original gems like jotheyali deserve to exist in the public memory in their fullest and finest form.

Hulkster
14th September 2008, 05:48 PM
For those who cant get the CD of Dhanam like me and are yearning for better quality heres the link. :D

http://tamilvibration.nl/d/Dhanam.TVi.dk..320Kbps..CBR.rar

RR
14th September 2008, 05:57 PM
This thread is getting close to 100 pages, so time to start a new thread to continue further discussions. Anyone interested?

After you create the thread, post the link here and I'll then close this thread.

Hulkster
14th September 2008, 05:58 PM
Saw Dhanam today.

The BGM is quite minimal but they were full of guitar usage. The part where the hero's grandfather talks about paavam just before he passes away has some broken guitar usage to bring out the feel. Most of the hero-heroine meeting scenes before the marriage have the guitar played in a fast latin-styled rhythm. :D Picturisation of songs were a total let-down. Even a situational song like kattilukku mattum thana wasnt justified.

Hulkster
14th September 2008, 06:00 PM
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12038

That's the new link boss