PDA

View Full Version : IR's New albums - Ver 2008

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

popeye11
30th July 2008, 06:23 PM
IR is back to his style of orchestration. NICE .. :) Its is amazing to listen to the usage of Violins and Flute in Unakulle. Kannakuku is awesome.
Eventhough ulagam sounds annoying with the female volcals, the interludes are very good as someone mentioned here its surprising IR has used the raaga.com loop and the similar kinda string usage as yuvan did in "AMAV" Oh Baby is that jsut me .. wat do ya'll think.
Neveretheless, It gives me strong hope that IR is coming back with a bang with his "Style" of music which all of us are yearing for all these days! Verdict, except Dhanam Dhanam all songs are listenable. Not a bad album afterall.

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 06:24 PM
Its not that..its just that people here decipher raja's songs like other MDs. The true fact till this day is that all his songs have been enriched by the feel of his orchestration and understanding of the situation. You cant expect a anandha raagam like tune or pothi vecha malligai tune for the situations in dhanam....

Hulkster,

anantha ragam, poththi vachcha are the best orchestrated songs of those times, the 'sounds' were cool when they got released. But his usuage of synths nowadays has been a big let down for his fans. Because we are exposed to cool 'sounds' from other MDs. I assume the problem is IR so accustomed with his composing technique that is best fit for manual orchestra. He still has not found his territory in synths. My wish is he should experiment with atleast one song recorded and orchestrated by Yuvan and composed by him. Then he will understand the difference, until then he is going to follow the same style.

:(

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 06:27 PM
its surprising IR has used the raaga.com loop and the similar kinda string usage as yuvan did in "AMAV" Oh Baby is that jsut me .. wat do ya'll think.

Yes, one in the first interlude and another in the second interlude. I was shocked :shock:

Hulkster
30th July 2008, 06:32 PM
But i dunt see any predominant synth in this album though except for certain parts in dhanam which spoils the song. And isnt the orchestration in this album only "raja-passible"? The reason i felt so excited is because of the orchestration and the overall backgrounds.

Anyway as for him using synths it depends...he will only go back to manual orchestra if the film truly needs it like twinkle twinkle little star's bgm or maybe pazhassi raja. Otherwise he does not care much like how we did not give a damn for his mumbai express and i dunt think we deserve it. :exactly:

popeye11
30th July 2008, 06:33 PM
BTW, I loved that "Mona...enakkum number kuduma" advertisement in galatta.com

loved?? :shock: irritating before every song starts, there is no forward button also :evil:

Yes, I got irritated too, but as there was no forward button, I had no choice but to love it :).

Krishnan

They used to have a forward button earlier.. they have removed it now..Dang it, it was horrible listening to the "Enakum Number kuduma" Vaayla asingama varuthu.. :hammer: :angry2: enna panrathu.. IR in paatai rasika, indha kodumai ellam thaanga vendi iruku..

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 06:44 PM
They used to have a forward button earlier.. they have removed it now..Dang it, it was horrible listening to the "Enakum Number kuduma" Vaayla asingama varuthu.. :hammer: :angry2: enna panrathu.. IR in paatai rasika, indha kodumai ellam thaanga vendi iruku..

Yeah me too frustrated. But now Raaga.com has it and the quality also good, maranthum galatta.com visit kidayaathu :D

popeye11
30th July 2008, 06:48 PM

Yeah me too frustrated. But now Raaga.com has it and the quality also good, maranthum galatta.com visit kidayaathu :D

Super~

Cant wait to hear the songs in CD quality. Iam sure it will sound a lot better.

MrJudge
30th July 2008, 07:10 PM
But i dunt see any predominant synth in this album though except for certain parts in dhanam which spoils the song. And isnt the orchestration in this album only "raja-passible"? The reason i felt so excited is because of the orchestration and the overall backgrounds.

Come on, all of the songs have synth usage.

My point is when he was at the top, his songs had both, orchestration and cool sounds (way above from his contemporaries), but now even though his orchestration is good, he loses mainly because of the sounds he selects. I think people will sit and enjoy if his does with cool sounds. The music environment is different now, he needs to force himself to change things around. Or someone close to him (like KR/YSR) should explain to him. I think KR is also into this synth trap.

So having one IR version and one YSR mix in an IR album will be good to test that. :)

irir123
30th July 2008, 08:25 PM
Negative reviews but mostly in preference order and as usual none can understand the orchestration. The same thing happened for the best album in recent times by the name of mumbai express when loads of people thought the fast-paced jazz number yeley nee yettipo was some immature attempt at synth :banghead:

Well i guess the final nail was for mumbai express...after that we are certainly not worthy of listening to anything else and i should not have even raised the decibel for this album after some people looked at the trailer and said it reeks of ordinary numbers. :angry:

Hulkster - am :banghead: :angry2: for comparing Mumbai Xpress with Dhanam - Mumbai Xpress is a class act, a perfect example of how LIVE Jazz would sound with minimalist Indian classical (minimalism is what IR so good at - he can dilute any raagam without losing the raagam's original identity) elements - "kurangu kaiyyil" is jazz at its best with unconventional lyrics and song structure both of which were completely complemented by hardcore jazz, while "poo poothadhu" was the icing on the cake - this song is an evergreen melody for the ages!

Dhanam just does not fall into that category at all - maybe the Kamal factor extracted the best out of IR in Mumbai Xpress with a strong/adamant emphasis/demand for live jazz instruments

irir123
30th July 2008, 08:32 PM
after reading the many reviews here, I almost expected another pathbreaking album like AGNI NATCHATIRAM,

Sorry ! Neenga endha kaalathil irukkeenga ?? Inime adhellaam nadakkira kaariyamaa ...

if Mumbai Xpress can happen, which WAS/IS a pathbreaking album in Indian cinema for the use of LIVE JAZZ, why should I not expect another pathbreaking album from IR ??

donno why IR is breaking hearts like mine little by little, instead of going back to what he is best - creative melodic usage with rhythms that make you sit up and listen

zz
30th July 2008, 09:40 PM
>>>Mumbai Xpress can happen, which WAS/IS a pathbreaking album in Indian cinema for the use of LIVE JAZZ

Pardon my ignorance, but who says so that it is path breaking?

The main problem with fans like these is that you live in heaven of your own and expect every one to be there and those who do not see your vision you accuse them as blind.

MumbaiRamki
30th July 2008, 09:45 PM
>>>Mumbai Xpress can happen, which WAS/IS a pathbreaking album in Indian cinema for the use of LIVE JAZZ

The main problem with fans like these is that you live in heaven of your own and expect every one to be there and those who do not see your vision you accuse them as blind.

zz, whats wrong with him expecting god songs from IR or claiming that MX was path breaking ? Whats ur problem here ?

You very well say MX was crap and dhanam was crappier , but u cant say that irir123 can't expect !

Many of us are closely related to raaja to an extent that his success has become one of our reasons to be happy , more than enjoying music as it is ! right or bad , this is how it is .

app_engine
30th July 2008, 09:49 PM
After the decent output for UO, dhanam is a saRukkal. Totally unimpressive, IMO. Expected at least a couple of numbers as in the case of 'azhagi' that are emotional but...KB gives this movie 65 marks, to wait and see for the response of public.

zz is correct, MX was dismal. jazz or x or y, if something is not interesting to listen - who cares?

In any case, as there are already tons of songs of IR that one can explore for a lifetime, who cares for the dhanams here and there:-)

Looks like IR's unaffected territories yet are WCM & ICM. Let me wait for pazhassi rAjA.

raja_fan
30th July 2008, 09:53 PM
Ada da da daa !!

Nanbargale..solluvadhai kelungal..Aditthu kollaadheergal !

MX is not IR's best and Dhanam is not his worst !

IR has always been like this. Even when he was at his musical peak, not all the songs in all his movies were hits :)

So set your expectations according to the film..For Dhanam as some one said, idhuve adhigam.

I will be happy even if two songs of this film were picturized well and make rounds for few weeks in channels :)

MumbaiRamki
30th July 2008, 09:55 PM

To a large extent, guitar prasanna has appreciated the jazz of Mx

ananth222
30th July 2008, 10:12 PM
Dhanam has lovely orchestration and lovely interludes, two features that made what IR he is over a long time. It is thoroughly enjoyable if you just forget about other things, stop comparing, and just listen to it for what it is. Its surely not going to turn up as a hidden gem like EVK 20 years from its release date, but it is certainly an enjoyable fare.

ananth222
30th July 2008, 10:21 PM
Dhanam mp3:
http://freetamilsongdownload.blogspot.com/
its torrent, but downloads quite fast.
claims HQ mp3... sounds better than online versions, but if this is really the CD quality then IR needs a new sound engineer.

crajkumar_be
30th July 2008, 10:40 PM
Whether MX was path-breaking or not, that was a class act IMO. It was not the first or last time jazz has been used in IFM but thats immaterial. The point is, how it was used and how the net result was. To me, personally, MX was Raaja in prime form

dochu
31st July 2008, 12:04 AM
Dhanam album - Ayyo!!! Producers are going to feel a terrible pinch if the movie also flops as audio has already shown where it will be.

Probably I shouldn't have complained about 'Azhagi vara..' in UO.

app-e - dhanam is not only an ordinary sarukal - it slid down to the center of the earth.

irir123
31st July 2008, 12:12 AM
Review of MUMBAI XPRESS album by SEAOFTRANQUILITY:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4824

"........led to us receiving a review copy of another, very different Ilayaraja piece, Where Crime Meets Confusion, a far more approachable but nevertheless very Indian album. Very different from the previous record we reviewed - this one is the soundtrack to a Bollywood movie made by Kamal Hassan"

"Where Crime Meets Confusion contains a bit of everything. There's a very jazzy section in "Monkey Chatter" with a synth-pop rhythm and staccato piano style, that could have been at home on any continent. There are pure movie sound-track atmospheric sections, "Bander Ki Dug Dugi" is an interesting vocals-oriented piece with a lilting rhythm carried by upbeat singing in a not-quite-western style - that isn't quite Indian either. There are plenty of spoken-voice sections, but not knowing the language, and because the CD comes with the bare minimum of artwork, and no booklet, we don't have a clue about the storyline.

One of the highlights of the album are the very pretty female vocals in a soft, midrange soubrette-like style. Some of the female spoken-voice sections are quite attractive as well, with an accentuated and unusual (to Western ears) sing-song lilt often associated with the Gujarati languages.

The album ends with 9-minute piece with three minutes of what sounds like an unskilled child actor in dialog with older actors, and develops into a soft ballad with barely a hint of the Indian vocal style - a sort of 50/50 fusion of Indian and Western styles.

You just might get a kick out of it. Not progressive, and certainly not rock, but the compositions are solid, the performances are very professional, it's more Western-oriented than most Indian music, and you might find it enjoyable."

Added: March 1st 2007
Reviewer: Duncan Glenday
Score: 3 stars out of 5

Sanjeevi
31st July 2008, 12:26 AM
Thank god

some of you do not like songs, so paadalgal hit agum :lol:

rosoma.j
31st July 2008, 12:38 AM
Any links for better quality Dhanam songs, Just want to listen once before buying CD. Thanks

app_engine
31st July 2008, 12:43 AM
rosoma.j, please see below:

raaga with better quality than galaata
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001343.html

jaiganes
31st July 2008, 04:04 AM
the ajoy verma - Ilaiyaraja -Gulzar film is said to be complete (dont aks me how i know) - it has vinay pathak in the lead role. We can look forward to some deep ghazal like melodies from Raaja.

Fliflo
31st July 2008, 06:04 AM
I had the opportunity to hear high quality dhanam songs in a hometheater.

Ore vaarhtaila sonna

Thalaivar Adi Pinnirukkar......

New type of experimentation.....

best
Fliflo

Hulkster
31st July 2008, 06:09 AM
I guess some of the people here are just too "outstanding" ; mumbai express was dismal is the worst comment you can give to a masterclass jazz album like that. And that itself proves my point that we dunt deserve to review IR albums when we cant even understand his composing ability. To say that dhanam is totally unimpressive despite all the techniques that is a hallmark of IR present in there is comical. :wave:

Hulkster
31st July 2008, 06:12 AM
Come on, all of the songs have synth usage.

They do but not to the extent of spoiling the album except for dhanam dhanam song. The backgrounds and the orchestration takes away whatever synth there was in the other songs.

Hulkster
31st July 2008, 06:16 AM
After the decent output for UO, dhanam is a saRukkal. Totally unimpressive, IMO. Expected at least a couple of numbers as in the case of 'azhagi' that are emotional but...KB gives this movie 65 marks, to wait and see for the response of public.

zz is correct, MX was dismal. jazz or x or y, if something is not interesting to listen - who cares?

In any case, as there are already tons of songs of IR that one can explore for a lifetime, who cares for the dhanams here and there:-)

Looks like IR's unaffected territories yet are WCM & ICM. Let me wait for pazhassi rAjA.

MX was interesting to listen..its just that we prefer to listen to a typical "IR" tune(note the irony here). You people ask for refreshing tunes and when he gives something like yeley nee yettippo and kurangu kaiyil maalai all of you guys complain. And the worst part is you guys call yourself IR fans and dunt even understand a single thing about what he did in MX. :banghead:

raja_fan
31st July 2008, 06:41 AM
Hmmm.. Are you people ready to move beyond MX ????????

Bringing MX again and again in n number of posts is really irritating !! :(

What if MX is the No.1 album in TFM ? Did the director or Kamal do justice to the songs and make it reach the people ?

What IR wants badly is this - reaching the people. If atleast 2 songs of Dhanam reaches people well, I would be more happy about it than any MX which only the fans talk about in a remote forum !

IR can give another MX in any time when the right opportunity comes, but he should maintain his presence in the field. That is more important now !!

Please come out of your obsession with MX here and move forward.

We have Mallepoovu and PR next month. So be ready for more and more posts :)

MumbaiRamki
31st July 2008, 08:17 AM
We have Mallepoovu and PR next month

Esp the BGM ! Do we have any website which has maayakannadi BGMs?

zz
31st July 2008, 11:14 AM
What IR wants badly is this - reaching the people. If atleast 2 songs of Dhanam reaches people well, I would be more happy about it than any MX which only the fans talk about in a remote forum !

Exactly.

I never meant that MX was bad , but saying that the jazz number in that is world class is a bit too much.

The main problem with IR is kind of sychopahncy that surround him from his fans, co workers and every one in the Industry. Why? Isn't there any one there to call a spade a spade? No body has tried it. I am sure expose IR to what he has been doing for last many year you will get back the IR many are longing for.

As sloshed said, that Synth instru should be sent some where out of universe.

Patrons of great music from IR have no-where to go but to accept what ever IR dishes out these days as music. They also have a block in their mind set that there is no music beyond IR. Problem for HC fans for IR is that they do not know to enjoy the diverse style of TFM and hence have to swallow music like UO and numerous other film music that IR has been giving for last many years. I do not have problem with their swallowing, but after you swallow if you claim that those hard rocks are the best one available to man kind to cherish, I cannot bear that.

Some one needs to push IR. Bala, Kamal were able to do that to an extend, but that is not enough. IR has long ceased to be a self starter. IR of 80s still rules the radios and fm channels, but IR of todayis still in the race (should have quit in 90s itself) and his career graph is going steeper and steeper day by day.

nanchil_guy
31st July 2008, 01:35 PM
7 pages in 2 days for the sound track of movie Dhanam!!! Thats amazing.I haven't listened to them yet, so i can't comment on that.

Anyway , about IR going down or north, it doesnt matter. he has not been in the race from mid 90's. AS most of IR fans here, i want some good quality songs from him, Thats it.

And how on earth some of you guys are expectin IR to come out with scintilating numbers for every movie. common guys we are not in 80's.

Moreover if the movie/director can extract some good tunes from IR , no one can stop it. Did virumaandi/Pithaa magan/Julie Ganapathy etc disappointed you?

So guys , dont expect much for an avg movie, then you will get much more disappoined. rather just listen to the songs with open mind.

I cant stop repeating this, for the people who criticizing IR's recent works, IR had given the answer long back in late 90's to a reporter when he asked "why your recent songs are not as good as your 80's songs"

IR " oru thadava thirumba nalla kettu parunga!"

nanchil_guy
31st July 2008, 01:47 PM
Patrons of great music from IR have no-where to go but to accept what ever IR dishes out these days as music. They also have a block in their mind set that there is no music beyond IR. Problem for HC fans for IR is that they do not know to enjoy the diverse style of TFM and hence have to swallow music like UO and numerous other film music that IR has been giving for last many years. I do not have problem with their swallowing, but after you swallow if you claim that those hard rocks are the best one available to man kind to cherish, I cannot bear that.

I am a HC IR fan , but i am listening to TFM, arabic, african, Hip Hop, Reggae, Funk, Pop, Rap, World music. Still I dont have any trouble to listen/enjoy recent good numbers from IR.

It doesnt mean, that we dont have any other options, if you find something good in IR's tune, whats the problem in enjoyin it?

As you have the rights to claim that IR's recent numbers are mediocre then i also have the right to call it as a great tune.But the problem here is generalizing our opinion.every one have their own taste. so i can't claim that Dhanam has to be cherished by everyone, and the same applies to you, that you are not supposed expect everyone to condemn IR for his work in Dhanam.

Sanjeevi
31st July 2008, 02:54 PM
Many HC IR fans real problem is they can't go beyond 80s songs. They are always expecting such kind of songs. They simple don't realize during 80s Top film project were in IR's hand but now? any top hero? any top directors? (except Bala) any top producers? ada atha vidunga any good film he has done at recent times? Even highly acclaimed Cheran failed miserable both getting good songs and delivering good film :banghead:. New directors have to learn from BR, MR, Kamal, KB, Mahendran how to extract good music but before they badly need to know how to film a good script.

A fan will be happy if IR give good music whatever project he accpets or if he don't compatible with this he should be selective and should away from his jalras from film industry. He has to avoid to listen "Anne namba paiyannae neengathan music pottu kodukkanum", etc.

Also I wonder why he is not concentrating to compose music beyond films? Fund problem? or he need somebody or something to invoke?. Mr. Raaja we need pure musical albums like HTNI, NBW, etc, if you will do we behind you

raja_fan
31st July 2008, 03:10 PM
After two days of listening,

I am not able to pick the best from Ilamai kanavugal, Kannanukku and Unakkulle !! All the three are awesome

The "na na na.." humming in Ilamai is amazing ! :2thumbsup:

The regrets in the album is "Dhanam dhanam.." for its childish lyrics and IR rendering "Koothu onnu" ( indha stage-la avar idhai avoid panniyirukkalaam )

vel
31st July 2008, 03:55 PM
[quote]Patrons of great music from IR have no-where to go but to accept what ever IR dishes out these days as music. They also have a block in their mind set that there is no music beyond IR. Problem for HC fans for IR is that they do not know to enjoy the diverse style of TFM and hence have to swallow music like UO and numerous other film music that IR has been giving for last many years. I do not have problem with their swallowing, but after you swallow if you claim that those hard rocks are the best one available to man kind to cherish, I cannot bear that.

:roll: well thinking about what you've said, it still reads as if this were your problem, not the problem of HC fans - if you have some equally good food to cherish (than the stale UO rock that HCs cherish) well dare to place it before them - share - convince - prove it - dont just lament that 'I cannot bear that' ! Instead, you have a healthy choice of showing HC IR fans that something better exisits. Well then, eagerly looking forward to you talking about your non-IR music explorations which were better than stale UO rock food that we have been eating of late :lol:

viraajan
31st July 2008, 05:02 PM
Three excellent tracks. A treat to IR fans.

http://visionofvinith.blogspot.com/2008/07/dhanam-ilayaraja-music-review.html

kj
31st July 2008, 05:03 PM
After reading the positive posts and inspite of giving it a very careful multiple hearings I couldnt find anything nice about this album.I really cannot understand whats all the fuss about a very average album by IR. Forget comparisons with his eighties albums, I will any day appreciate if IR comes up with something like Madhu. But I find this(dhanam) album totally mediocre.

viraajan
31st July 2008, 05:12 PM
After reading the positive posts and inspite of giving it a very careful multiple hearings I couldnt find anything nice about this album.I really cannot understand whats all the fuss about a very average album by IR. Forget comparisons with his eighties albums, I will any day appreciate if IR comes up with something like Madhu. But I find this(dhanam) album totally mediocre.

Karthik's song is very good. Classical "Kannanukku" and painful "Kattilukku" are the best tracks IMO.

Rest aren't that good. :(

Sanjeevi
31st July 2008, 07:07 PM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/ut/s/tamil/20

Fliflo
31st July 2008, 07:32 PM
I feel Koothu Onnu song may fit aptly to the situation in the movie. In this forum, I am seeing people complain about the song rendition, orchestration and other related items independently without considering the story situation in the movie. I believe IR works the other way. He probably sits with the movie director and assesses what type of rendition and orchestration would be the best for a given situation. Budget and artist's time is also big factor. Mediocre kind of songs could become a big hit after movie release. the reviews posted here just look at the music "very independently" from the story line, which may not make much sense at all. Othewise, IR can keep releasing melody albums instead of doing music for movies..:-))

app_engine
31st July 2008, 07:48 PM
Othewise, IR can keep releasing melody albums instead of doing music for movies..:-))

If he does that at least once in a while, puNNiyamAppOgum:-)

Actually I don't have any complaints with both the IR songs in this album (the kooththu and thaththuvam).

They are the better of the lot IMO. He always excels in situational songs, though the thaththuvam song here is below average (his 'On kuththamA' was excellent).

The non-situational numbers, like the regular duets etc, are not up to the mark. There's simply no feeling in any of them:-(

rprasad
31st July 2008, 09:30 PM
Guys,

As i have posted repeatedly before in this forum, there is no point in expecting some classic experimental or popular scores from IR for some average movie he does. Those times are long gone. He is no longer the young Raaja who had the unbridled enthusiasm for any and every movie he did during 80's and early 90's. Even though music has no age, but age does play a role in a music directors capablilties. He is now 65 years old and no longer feels the need to push himself to create some magical score for each song for all the average movies he does. So his best is only reserved for some close freinds/good directors who can push or cajole him to come up with something new or an exicting new script. As to why he does these average movies , maybe he just cannot stop and he needs to keep composing even if its not anything special. I guess its difficult for a man immeresed in film music his whole life to just give up doing film music and focus on non film music. And also he cannot say No to directors/producers who need him to score music for their movies. Its probably going to continue till he feels physically he cannot do this anymore.

Till then guys enjoy the good melodies he still comes up with. I personally enjoyed the kannanuku number very much in Dhanam and also the two other songs. Just dont keep comparing with his classics. I know its hard since IR with over 800 movies has filled our minds with so many gems that we unconciously start comparing or expecting someting new and also find similarities with his old songs and start lamenting about it.
Keep this in mind , new md's like Harris Jayaraj who i guess is quite popular keeps repeating the same pattern in most of his songs, but people still lap it up and enjoy it( he is not even 100 films old). Even Rahman(who has still not done that many movies even though he has been for 16 years now) for all his good scores keeps repeating his patterns and rehashes hindi songs to tamil and vice versa. But you still expect IR to come up with new tunes for some mundane movie. Stop it guys and keep enjoying any good number from IR. It is still cut above the junk that is being dished out these days.

rags141
31st July 2008, 09:58 PM
gr8 point prasad.....

imo, except for the dhanam dhanam & koothu onnu....all the other songs are pretty good in this album.....

raja_fan
31st July 2008, 10:09 PM
Dhanam audio is a success atleast among IR fans !

You know why ?

As far as I remember, no other IR album has created so much response in this forum in the last 2/3 years.

Things certainly look promising for

Malleppoovu
Pazhassi Raja
Azhagar malai
Nandalala
Jagan Mohini
Ayyan
Paa

etc etc !

If only Mayilu had been released it would have been more happier..we miss that "Aathi" song of Mayilu :(

Sanjeevi
31st July 2008, 11:30 PM
Well, this is my review with my fav order

1. Koothu Onnu - instead of -ve reviews here such as IR would have avoided this song at age 65, no melody blah blah, still I feel this song is rocking stuff. Perfect tune and good balance between trible and bass, good vocals, good ludes and moreover there are interesting twists. Good lyrics i mean for the situations (நெஞ்சில் ஆசைகள் நாளைக்கும் தோணும்). This is long song of this album which itsels shows that IR has given effort :wink:

2. Kannunukku Enna - not less than recent UO semi classical songs and chances to emerge as a hit song than UO songs since it has elements to appeal normal listeners. Good usage of Veena and indian instruments make this song as familiar one.

3. Unakkullae - with the help of superb interludes, interesting rthym twist in charanam and nice tune this song is growing on me.

4. Kattulukku - Good, simple rthym with interesting twist make this song good one. Despite the tune is in at 'Ramarajan' period good to v.good music orchestration gives good shape.

5. Ilamai Kanavugan - Good one but somehow I feel it is an extension of Mayakannadi songs. Tunes (especially in charanam) and music are good here and there. This song too is growing on repeated listenings.

6. Ulagam Kidakkuthu - not bad attempt. It remembers me the harris jeyaraj's 'Sariya Thavara' song since they are for same feel I guess.

7. Dhanam Dhanam - average but has good rthym pattern

rajasaranam
1st August 2008, 02:25 AM
If only Mayilu had been released it would have been more happier..we miss that "Aathi" song of Mayilu :(

Yes the most Awaited Album for me as I have listened to the songs many times from the recording that was uploaded by NagaS. suddenly It struck me to edit out the dialogue portions and make it as bit songs and Voila here it is :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?u0jxfxoy02d
I just love 'Vellimanal' Song, what a pathos :cry: The flow of the tune is just like a gentle breeze passing over us. (The Nanadalala Song I mentioned some days back is better than this IMO :))
I also like other 3 songs Especially 'Yathaey Yathaey' I think we are in store for synth based treat from this song. There are some cool sounds and rhythms in this songs. I am very hopeful about this song in a CD quality. Its gonna Rock :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
you can also hear the absolute love of a father towards his daughter during this recording :wink:

MumbaiRamki
1st August 2008, 08:09 AM
vellimanal - i think they should include the instrumental version.

kkriukku araikirukku -> less hope :)

engaloda song seem to be OK. return of tippu :)

AAthe is class in my opinion , but but where is ks chithra

vel
1st August 2008, 08:51 AM
KS Chitra for yaathae?? you must be kidding :lol: Atleast you could have said S.Janaki...

KSC is urban'ish and i can only remember a handful of folk hits from her (podi nadaiyaa poravarae, andha nilava thaan etc) - her sophisticated voice wont allow for a folkish tune, IMHO - Bhavatharini suits the tune's purpose 100%

MumbaiRamki
1st August 2008, 08:56 AM
vel,
guess u ar right :)
Bhava's voice is ok, but she doesnt bring out th emotions .She is more suited for devotional singing.

chithra has sung some numbers in hindi for rural themes.

raja_fan
1st August 2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks RS !

Mayilu seems to be better than Dhanam..

My confidence grows on Raja coming back in a big way.
Unfortunate that Mayilu is held up :( :(

One thing to note is Raja's new enthusiasm in tamil films :)

Anyways, we have atleast

Mallepoovu - August
Pazhassi Raja - Onam ( Sep )
Azhagar malai - Deepavali (oct)
Jagan Mohini - December.

The second half of 2008 is going to be musically great !

kameshratnam
1st August 2008, 10:22 AM
How can u forget Nan Kadavul and that 7 minutes song in that

inetk
1st August 2008, 10:53 AM
I'm definitely stirring a hornet's nest here, but what we....nah, make it, I, expect from Raja these days is not exactly rocket science. Regardless of his age, I'm not keen on getting highly complex/ experimental stuff from him.

If I may take an example (bzzzz....sound of hornet's nest being shaken vigorously), Vidyasagar's body of work reminds me of Raja's peak output - standard, predictable and almost instantly likeable backgrounds, simple melodies and neat lyrics. Raman Thediya Seethai is just one example - songs like Ippave, mazhai nindra...Jayam Kondaan's Naan varaindhu vaitha etc. They bring back - to me at least - the joy of a simple, 80s Raja tune!

Karthik

Guys,

As i have posted repeatedly before in this forum, there is no point in expecting some classic experimental or popular scores from IR for some average movie he does. Those times are long gone. He is no longer the young Raaja who had the unbridled enthusiasm for any and every movie he did during 80's and early 90's. Even though music has no age, but age does play a role in a music directors capablilties. He is now 65 years old and no longer feels the need to push himself to create some magical score for each song for all the average movies he does. So his best is only reserved for some close freinds/good directors who can push or cajole him to come up with something new or an exicting new script. As to why he does these average movies , maybe he just cannot stop and he needs to keep composing even if its not anything special. I guess its difficult for a man immeresed in film music his whole life to just give up doing film music and focus on non film music. And also he cannot say No to directors/producers who need him to score music for their movies. Its probably going to continue till he feels physically he cannot do this anymore.

Till then guys enjoy the good melodies he still comes up with. I personally enjoyed the kannanuku number very much in Dhanam and also the two other songs. Just dont keep comparing with his classics. I know its hard since IR with over 800 movies has filled our minds with so many gems that we unconciously start comparing or expecting someting new and also find similarities with his old songs and start lamenting about it.
Keep this in mind , new md's like Harris Jayaraj who i guess is quite popular keeps repeating the same pattern in most of his songs, but people still lap it up and enjoy it( he is not even 100 films old). Even Rahman(who has still not done that many movies even though he has been for 16 years now) for all his good scores keeps repeating his patterns and rehashes hindi songs to tamil and vice versa. But you still expect IR to come up with new tunes for some mundane movie. Stop it guys and keep enjoying any good number from IR. It is still cut above the junk that is being dished out these days.

raja_fan
1st August 2008, 11:37 AM
inetk,

I agree with you on VS.

Vidyasagar after he came out of his obsession with Bhangra music in his initial films, started to be IR's hier in melodies and orchestration ( Yuvan and KR are not his hiers for sure on this ).

And if you notice there is a mysterious connection between IR and VS. It will appear like both are exchanging tunes sometimes.

When I heard "Ennai thaalatta.." from KM for the first time, it sounded similar to "Poongaatru veesum.." of VS from Mr.Madras. Even some people find some similarity between "Ayya voodu.." and "Thamarai poovukkum thannikkum.." from Pasumpon ! :)

And VS's "Thanthana thanthana.." from Thavasi has a strong resemblence of "Sempoove.." from Siraichaalai. And "Aadiyile.." from Villain ( I think ) to "Thenpaandi seemaiyile" from Nayagan :)

MumbaiRamki
1st August 2008, 05:49 PM
Regardless of his age, I'm not keen on getting highly complex/ experimental stuff from him.
Karthik

Some of his best compositions that lasted big time , i guess were experimentations when they were released !

rooky
1st August 2008, 06:13 PM
Donno why people compare all new IR songs to 80s songs..To add, even if IR gives a song that is of better quality than his 80s classics, Many of the hubbers here are not going to accept that.I find many of the hubbers in that mindset.

As an IR fan, i make it a point not to miss any of the new songs from him and appreciate the good ones,while also longing for better ones.

We are discussing here about his songs reaching out to the masses,which is missing (in TFM) for the past few years.All IR fans would want to rejoice IR's success (interms of reaching masses) and we all are hopeful that it will happen soon.

I enjoyed the good numbers from dhanam (unakullae, kannanukku, ilamai) and am ahppy about that.If any of these songs reach the masses,that will make me even more happier.

why complain,enjoy the good things and don't expect every song to be a classic..(is any other MD in TFM serving that now?)

dochu
1st August 2008, 07:01 PM
Guess I am out of the loop. Is 'Mayilu' a unreleased movie?

RS - did you record that in the recording studio or radio?

hope somebody can provide info.

rprasad
1st August 2008, 09:20 PM
Inetk,

There is a difference in IR giving 80's style songs again today and VS giving those styled songs. VS has a lower level of expectation among the masses and fans and hence any good 80's style melody number irrespective of whether it resembles IR's styled tunes will be lapped up by the masses(infact that is the great irony here people like IR styled songs from VS but not a similar one from IR himself). That is not going to happen with IR. People will immediately start to lament that its an often heard tune and it resembles his some other tune and so forth. So this is kind of a no win situation for IR. Even you if i remember correctly have written off some tunes as outdated/archaic 90's or 80's style in some of your reviews of IR albums.

And also comparing VS songs now to IR's 80'songs is clearly stretching it too much. IR's 80's songs were classics and unmatched in terms of melody, orchestration and experimentation. VS cannot come close to matching those classics which IR tuned in 80's. Terming those gems as simple standard and predictable is again totally incorrect statement. Most of IRs' experimental scores which turned into classics are all in 80's. And i think everyone will agree that IR's 80's songs period will probably rival MSV/TKR's 60's as a golden period of tamil film music.

app_engine
1st August 2008, 10:22 PM
And i think everyone will agree that IR's 80's songs period will probably rival MSV/TKR's 60's as a golden period of tamil film music.

:yes: :exactly:

Fliflo
2nd August 2008, 12:53 AM
[tscii:2a023f83a8]
Sir,

If you are at chennai then you can well enough get it from Musicworld - Spencers. The album {front}cover has an awesome picture of Raaja sir.

Ilamai kanavugal - Karthick and Rita. Lyrics - Valli

…..begins with spick and span voice of Rita. Soon after manual rhythm and funky synth bass give the lead for Pallavi. String orchestra and bass guitar are used as filler. Former for 1st interlude and later in betwixt the handsome Charanams. Normally, any music lover can extract hidden or candid pleasure in the 2nd interlude of any Raaja sir’s song. Very peppy/mind blowing interlude for melody songs. Soft native cadence/stupefying interlude for {electronic} rhythm oriented song. This song falls on the second huddle. Staggering synth chord progression and strings arrangement do follow call and response rule with live bass drum at 2nd interlude.

Interesting fact: It does have tines of turntable sound, might be made through synthesizer, which I have neva expected {at least in this album}. It does not bother the lead melody, though {smile}.

Ulagam kedakuthu – Sunitha sarathy. Lyrics – Valli

…begins alike contemporary electro funk song and changes path as energetic pop. 1st and 2nd interludes have interesting middle-eastern lute kinda instrument {Oudh…eh?}. At 2nd interlude, well structured Brass instruments along with bang band orchestra are more away from usual pattern. Programmed percussion and chipmunk voice mix change the color of the song. However, Sunitha’s put-on accent/slang let down the song.

Dhanam Dhanam – Karthick. Lyrics – Valli

It is not a normal run-of-the-mill kinda song. It does have interesting rhythm pattern with south Indian earthy instruments with Djembes and synth bass as bassline.

Koothu onnu – Raaja sir and Feji. Lyrics – Palani Bharathi.

I guess after the song - Velli kizhama from Shiva, Raaja sir’s attempt for de genre of the song. It has more tribal nuances say de flute prelude, peppy programmed & live rhythm during vocal part and Djembes at 2nd interlude and reed sound through synth. Stunning usage of bass guitar {synth bass…eh?} is simply rocking.

Unnakulle irukirein – Sriram parthasarathy – Bilsenday. Lyrics – Mu.Metha.

…yet another mesmerizing romantic composition from Raaja sir’s music factory. First a couple of lines strongly strike de melody de song Kommallo koyila - Ninnu choodaka nenundalenu, later so much of twist both in lead melody and rhythm/orchestra. Pallavi has both synth rhthym and manual percussion. Chord progression with piano/synth, bass guitar, string orchestra, live percussion at first interlude is Gorgeous. After 2nd line of Charanam, de melody, poly-rhythm wid miruthangam and synth bass steal the spotlight. Awesome, alluring, passionate, zeal and lovely 2nd interlude has mild accelerando of flute, string orchestra with embellishment of synth chord later dazzling live percussion joins to completely change the ambience so romantic. My pocket is already filled with so many numbers like this {of course Raaja sir} song. This song turns on greediness within me to acquire it as well {giggle}.

Kannanukku enna vendum – Bhavatharini, Prasanna and Sriram Parthasarathy. Lryics – Vishali Kannadasan.

Song of the album.

This semi-classical song would make your day very meaningful and momentous.

Charanam:

Nadhi vazhi oru oodam povathu pole, vithi vazhi en ullam un pugal {pugazhil} paadum.

As a boat goes according to de direction of stream, my soul would praise your overwhelming according to the destiny.

Thurigaigal theetatha oviyum neeye. Paaril unnai paadatha kaalangal veeney,

You are work of an art, which was not painted by brush. Day without singing about you is futile.

Unnai potra manin methu ullam undu khodi khodi, unthan ullam enna vendru sollu Kanna {smile}.

There are crore crore soul onto this earth to praise you. Kindly, tell us about your ideology.

Actually, I have just imposed Raaja sir on the place of protagonist {Krishnah} for the above lines. So, day without listening to your compositions/ not singing about you is meaningless.

Even, the second charanam has evocative lines as your melody through flute would evoke water flow even on moon and my desire is longing for that lullaby. Raajasaranam.

This song prevents me to lament about my misdemeanor and more like declaration of guilt. I should say it is a divine magnum opus.

Kattilukku thana pombala – Raaja sir. Lyrics – Muthuligam.

It is a very situational song with philosophical lines, which script depends. All about social issues of mercy/pities women and bad gestures of male-chauvinist. Interesting ethnic rhythm with synth bass and distortion guitar apt for this rational song.

A mixed album with many alluring interludes, contemporary output and fulfilling melodies.

always

~~Raaja rules!

[/tscii:2a023f83a8]

Fliflo
2nd August 2008, 01:45 AM
BTW, the review was copied from elsewhere :lol:

popeye11
2nd August 2008, 01:48 AM
[tscii:73166edf04]
Sir,

If you are at chennai then you can well enough get it from Musicworld - Spencers. The album {front}cover has an awesome picture of Raaja sir.

Ilamai kanavugal - Karthick and Rita. Lyrics - Valli

…..begins with spick and span voice of Rita. Soon after manual rhythm and funky synth bass give the lead for Pallavi. String orchestra and bass guitar are used as filler. Former for 1st interlude and later in betwixt the handsome Charanams. Normally, any music lover can extract hidden or candid pleasure in the 2nd interlude of any Raaja sir’s song. Very peppy/mind blowing interlude for melody songs. Soft native cadence/stupefying interlude for {electronic} rhythm oriented song. This song falls on the second huddle. Staggering synth chord progression and strings arrangement do follow call and response rule with live bass drum at 2nd interlude.

Interesting fact: It does have tines of turntable sound, might be made through synthesizer, which I have neva expected {at least in this album}. It does not bother the lead melody, though {smile}.

Ulagam kedakuthu – Sunitha sarathy. Lyrics – Valli

…begins alike contemporary electro funk song and changes path as energetic pop. 1st and 2nd interludes have interesting middle-eastern lute kinda instrument {Oudh…eh?}. At 2nd interlude, well structured Brass instruments along with bang band orchestra are more away from usual pattern. Programmed percussion and chipmunk voice mix change the color of the song. However, Sunitha’s put-on accent/slang let down the song.

Dhanam Dhanam – Karthick. Lyrics – Valli

It is not a normal run-of-the-mill kinda song. It does have interesting rhythm pattern with south Indian earthy instruments with Djembes and synth bass as bassline.

Koothu onnu – Raaja sir and Feji. Lyrics – Palani Bharathi.

I guess after the song - Velli kizhama from Shiva, Raaja sir’s attempt for de genre of the song. It has more tribal nuances say de flute prelude, peppy programmed & live rhythm during vocal part and Djembes at 2nd interlude and reed sound through synth. Stunning usage of bass guitar {synth bass…eh?} is simply rocking.

Unnakulle irukirein – Sriram parthasarathy – Bilsenday. Lyrics – Mu.Metha.

…yet another mesmerizing romantic composition from Raaja sir’s music factory. First a couple of lines strongly strike de melody de song Kommallo koyila - Ninnu choodaka nenundalenu, later so much of twist both in lead melody and rhythm/orchestra. Pallavi has both synth rhthym and manual percussion. Chord progression with piano/synth, bass guitar, string orchestra, live percussion at first interlude is Gorgeous. After 2nd line of Charanam, de melody, poly-rhythm wid miruthangam and synth bass steal the spotlight. Awesome, alluring, passionate, zeal and lovely 2nd interlude has mild accelerando of flute, string orchestra with embellishment of synth chord later dazzling live percussion joins to completely change the ambience so romantic. My pocket is already filled with so many numbers like this {of course Raaja sir} song. This song turns on greediness within me to acquire it as well {giggle}.

Kannanukku enna vendum – Bhavatharini, Prasanna and Sriram Parthasarathy. Lryics – Vishali Kannadasan.

Song of the album.

This semi-classical song would make your day very meaningful and momentous.

Charanam:

Nadhi vazhi oru oodam povathu pole, vithi vazhi en ullam un pugal {pugazhil} paadum.

As a boat goes according to de direction of stream, my soul would praise your overwhelming according to the destiny.

Thurigaigal theetatha oviyum neeye. Paaril unnai paadatha kaalangal veeney,

You are work of an art, which was not painted by brush. Day without singing about you is futile.

Unnai potra manin methu ullam undu khodi khodi, unthan ullam enna vendru sollu Kanna {smile}.

There are crore crore soul onto this earth to praise you. Kindly, tell us about your ideology.

Actually, I have just imposed Raaja sir on the place of protagonist {Krishnah} for the above lines. So, day without listening to your compositions/ not singing about you is meaningless.

Even, the second charanam has evocative lines as your melody through flute would evoke water flow even on moon and my desire is longing for that lullaby. Raajasaranam.

This song prevents me to lament about my misdemeanor and more like declaration of guilt. I should say it is a divine magnum opus.

Kattilukku thana pombala – Raaja sir. Lyrics – Muthuligam.

It is a very situational song with philosophical lines, which script depends. All about social issues of mercy/pities women and bad gestures of male-chauvinist. Interesting ethnic rhythm with synth bass and distortion guitar apt for this rational song.

A mixed album with many alluring interludes, contemporary output and fulfilling melodies.

always

~~Raaja rules!

[/tscii:73166edf04]

Fliflo, Loved Reading your post. Fantastic review of the alum! :clap:
Kudos

Raaja Rules :yes:

inetk
2nd August 2008, 08:52 AM
I see what you mean. When I started (somewhat unfairly, given the repertoire of Raja vs VS) comparing both, it was based on my opinion that Raja was stuck oh-so-unfortunately with that synth sound that sounds archaic. His tunes and many a times, interludes is what draws me these days. VS, on the other hand seems to have found a magical blend between both - listen to RTS' Vaanathai vittu vittu - this could a Raja tune, but the mild innovations in the backgrounds make it completely in sync. On the other hand, Ippave Ippave and Mazhai nindra have beautiful tunes, but in an orchestral package so reminiscent of the Raja of yore, sans the synth.

I'll never ever claim that I like VS over Raja - thats not going to happen in my lifetime since Raja has been an influence from my school days - but all I'm saying is that VS seems to be more clued into upgrading his music and also seems to have found a sweet spot of melody, with a Raja-like sound that is very very appealing to people like me yearning for Raja's comeback into simple, un-synth orchestration combined with his ability to conjure fabulous tunes.

I'd even say that the more mod composers - Yuvan, Rahman, HJ et all do not seem to have found such a sweet spots, like VS. Even a Marudhaani from Sakkarakatti (ARR) or a Ye chilipi from Gharshana (HJ) or Para para pattaampoochi from Katradhu Tamizh (YSR) have such refined degrees of modernity in them - that while sounding perfectly competent and highly listenable, they do not have that simple, unadulterated charm of an 80s Raja song. It may be just me - living in the past glory of Raja, but what the heck, we all yearn for good ol' times to return :-)

Inetk,

There is a difference in IR giving 80's style songs again today and VS giving those styled songs. VS has a lower level of expectation among the masses and fans and hence any good 80's style melody number irrespective of whether it resembles IR's styled tunes will be lapped up by the masses(infact that is the great irony here people like IR styled songs from VS but not a similar one from IR himself). That is not going to happen with IR. People will immediately start to lament that its an often heard tune and it resembles his some other tune and so forth. So this is kind of a no win situation for IR. Even you if i remember correctly have written off some tunes as outdated/archaic 90's or 80's style in some of your reviews of IR albums.

And also comparing VS songs now to IR's 80'songs is clearly stretching it too much. IR's 80's songs were classics and unmatched in terms of melody, orchestration and experimentation. VS cannot come close to matching those classics which IR tuned in 80's. Terming those gems as simple standard and predictable is again totally incorrect statement. Most of IRs' experimental scores which turned into classics are all in 80's. And i think everyone will agree that IR's 80's songs period will probably rival MSV/TKR's 60's as a golden period of tamil film music.

Sanjeevi
2nd August 2008, 01:11 PM
yes, Yaathey seems to be very very good song but I am afraid of IR synth usage, the recording quality and the packaging

crvenky
2nd August 2008, 02:03 PM
I saw the interview of the new singer Ujjainee in SS TV. She is from Canada. She said IR heard her song from Yekan under YSR and selected her.

She has debuted under IR for a song in Jaganmohini. As usual with all singers, she was going ga-ga with his knowledge, strictness, professionalism, his perfection with diction, etc and said he made her recording very comfortable.

Sureshs65
2nd August 2008, 04:05 PM
Hi Karthik,

I understand what you say. It was something that Carnatic Music critic 'Subbudu' once said about Raja when comparing him with Rahman. He said that Raja was able to get some superb and simple melodies like 'Sendoora Poove' and while praising Rahman for his sounds and beats, wondered if Rahman can come up with something like 'Sendoora Poove'. So your aching must be for melodies like 'Sendoora Poove', 'Chitira sevvanam', 'Malargalil Aadum', 'Kannan Oru Kai Kuzhandai' etc. As rprasad said Raja is in a no-win situation since lot of people would say the melody is old if Raja gives it but if others come up with it, it will be welcomed.

An artist has to evolve and keep trying new things and if it is a person like Illayaraja I can understand his tunes getting more complex. He has to challenge himself. So I am not so sure if Illayaraja himself wants to give a simple straightforward melodies. (A great combination of melody and complexity was the music for the film 'Kaalapani'. The songs were inherently sweet and the orchestration was brilliant.)Even the excellent melody from 'Uliyin Osai', "Kallai Irunden" is so multi-layered. It is indeed a joy to listen to it and it gives great satisfaction. If you ask me if it is a straightforward and a simple melody, I would say no. The listener has to put in some effort to understand and appreciate all the nuances.

The one thing I would like in Raja's music is to have atleast one song in each film, wherein the ragam is clearly heard. I am not talking about 'Uliyin Osai' type carnatic classicals but the lovely Reethigowlas, Hamsanamdam etc that he has given. I hole than whenever he touches a raga for film music purposes, that song never fails. Just listen to the outstanding 'Vasantha Nila' from Sooriyan based on Sriranjani.

One thing I am sure about is Illayaraja's work ethic. There is effort behind very song and if you look carefully you can see that. I watched 'Aa Dinagalu' recently and the work he has put for the BGM is phenomenal.

Whether we will get more "Chinna Kannan" or "Kuyile Kavikuyile", is not known, what I do know is that Illayaraja is still thinking and experimenting. So we are bound to get decent albums from him. If he is inspired, he can still give outstanding music.

S.Suresh

Sureshs65
2nd August 2008, 07:49 PM
Should read ,"I hold that.." and not "I hole than.."

S.Suresh

rooky
2nd August 2008, 08:03 PM
Aa Dinagalu, Kannada movie with outstanding BGM from IR is released in high quality DVD. (First time for a Kannada Movie).

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/kannada/gallery/Events/15857.html

rooky
2nd August 2008, 08:06 PM
Just to add, Aa Dinagalu was one of the better outputs from IR in recent times,both interms of quality and also in reaching masses.

This movie was one of the six hits in Kannada of 2007 and the songs "aa dinagalu" and "sihigaali" are played very frequently in the FMs (even now).

A similar effort in Tamil will do wonders for him and his Fans.

Sureshs65
3rd August 2008, 10:21 AM
To add to what rooky said, 'Aa Dinagalu' is definitely one of the better Kannada movies to come out in recent times. An excellent movie on the violent underground without any on screen violence. May not be the perfect movie but a top class attempt.

S.Suresh

MumbaiRamki
3rd August 2008, 04:28 PM
I'll never ever claim that I like VS over Raja - thats not going to happen in my lifetime since Raja has been an influence from my school days - but all I'm saying is that VS seems to be more clued into upgrading his music and also seems to have found a sweet spot of melody, with a Raja-like sound that is very very appealing to people like me yearning for Raja's comeback into simple, un-synth orchestration combined with his ability to conjure fabulous tunes.

Quite,quite true ! I heard RTS , what you say matches with this soundtrack and all his previous ones . It is difficult to categorise VS . He is unique , resembles raaja/mSV SOMETIMES, but is unique !

But my only complaint with VS is his BGM . It never matches with his songs these days . With IR , its just the reverse.

http://mumbairamki.blogspot.com/2008/08/vidya-sagar-dark-lion.html

app_engine
4th August 2008, 06:53 AM
It is difficult to categorise VS . He is unique , resembles raaja/mSV SOMETIMES, but is unique !

Major digression -

IMO, He resembles everyone:-) Nothing unique about him and that's the problem with him...disabling him from never reaching greater heights. Even kids like YSR / HJ can be identified with some of their own sounds when we hear their music but not VS who resembles all including these kids.

The reason is he is a master imitator but unlike Deva he doesn't even have gAnA to his personal credit. And he loots left and right, even from sources inside the country that makes him unable to make it even to the second grade. To compare him with the likes of IR is really a very sad thing. What do you call as his USP? Just that he produces some "listenable" songs doesn't make him to fit in the league of great composers in TFM.

I guess it would be more appropriate to discuss this in a VS thread:-)

End of digression

Sanjeevi
4th August 2008, 09:59 AM
yeah, it is too much to treat VS as IR's successor

NagaS
4th August 2008, 03:30 PM
Just Noticed the list of lyricists for uliyin osai songs:

1. Sozha vaLa Naadu - Kamakodiyan, Kalainjar Mu KaruNanidhi
2. PulargindRa Pozhuthu - Mu Metha
3. Kaalaththai VendRa - Na Muthukumar
4. Abinayam KaattugindRa - Vaalee
5. Azhagi varRaa - Snehan
6. Kallaay Irunthen - Pazhani Bharathi
7. Aganthaiyil Aaaduvathaa - Muthulingam

My Curious Question ... Is this the first time as many as 8 Lyricists used in a single movie / Album? :)

NagaS

irir123
4th August 2008, 03:52 PM
NagaS

adhenna Vaalee (sounds like the movie Wall-E) ? isnt it just Vali ?

crvenky
4th August 2008, 04:24 PM
NagaS,
Idhaya Kovil also is an album with different singers for each song.

NagaS
4th August 2008, 05:33 PM
NagaS

adhenna Vaalee (sounds like the movie Wall-E) ? isnt it just Vali ?

vaali seems to be the correct spelling, atleast according to wikipedia!

NagaS
4th August 2008, 05:38 PM
NagaS,

Idhaya Kovil had different singers for each song? Can't be ... Because, SPB Sang almost all songs in that movie, isn't it?

May be you mean, different lyricists,

1. vaanuyarnatha solaiyile - pavalar varadharajan
2. Yaar veettil roja - Mu Metha
3. Oororamaa - Gangai Amaran
4. Idhayam Oru Kovil - Ilayaraja
5. Koottathile Kovil Pura - ???
6. Naan Paadum Maunra Ragam Kaetkavillaiyaa - Vairamuthu

NagaS

NagaS
4th August 2008, 05:40 PM
NagaS,

Idhaya Kovil had different singers for each song? Can't be ... Because, SPB Sang almost all songs in that movie, isn't it?

2. Yaar veettil roja - Mu Metha
3. Oororamaa - Gangai Amaran
4. Idhayam Oru Kovil - Ilayaraja
6. Naan Paadum Maunra Ragam Kaetkavillaiyaa - Vairamuthu

NagaS

I missed a song "Paattu Thalaivan", Not sure who is the lyricist for that!

NagaS

NagaS
4th August 2008, 05:42 PM

Muthulingam - According to this URL: http://www.mohankumars.com/lyrics/index.php?m=s&lid=440

crvenky
4th August 2008, 05:50 PM
Sorry, I meant lyricist only, not the singers.
BTW, there may be quite some movies with different lyricists for each song.

MumbaiRamki
4th August 2008, 06:22 PM
NagaS,

NagaS

NagaS, bangalore la bomb potta thaan forumhub pakkam vareenga:)

WHat a lyrics by pavalar Varadharajan!!!. How many songs has Pa.Va written for raaja ? Was it that raaja tuned to the songs written by Pa Va that were written much earlier?

NagaS
4th August 2008, 10:15 PM
NagaS, bangalore la bomb potta thaan forumhub pakkam vareenga:)

:) I am in always-read-only mode, Because I read most of the forum posts in rss, Posting a response needs three / four extra clicks and I am just lazy, thats all :)

WHat a lyrics by pavalar Varadharajan!!!. How many songs has Pa.Va written for raaja ? Was it that raaja tuned to the songs written by Pa Va that were written much earlier?

Yes, I Guess They were written much before Raja got into movies, Because I doubt if Pavalar lived to see IR as a film MD

Im aware of only two songs of Pavalar in IR's movies - Vaanuyarntha solaiyile and maNNil intha kaathal andRi ... even this is disputed, because gangai amaran claims it to be his lyrics!

But Pavalar has written many other songs, Mostly sang in communist medaigaL By IR & Co, I have a collection 'paavalar vaazhvum, paadalgaLum'

NagaS
4th August 2008, 10:16 PM
Sorry, I meant lyricist only, not the singers.
BTW, there may be quite some movies with different lyricists for each song.

Yep, Thesedays Vidyasagar uses a team of 5 or 6 lyricists and gives one song each ... But 8 may be the first, in ULiyin Osai

NagaS

balaji
4th August 2008, 10:47 PM
Another Pavalar song I think

"Devan Thandtha Veenai' - Unnai Naan Sandhithen
(the SPB/SJ version is so difficult to find - even though Pj/SJ version is easily avialable)

Bala

crajkumar_be
4th August 2008, 10:57 PM
maNNil intha kaathal andRi ... even this is disputed, because gangai amaran claims it to be his lyrics!

Oh, i thought Vaali had written the lyrics for this song!

dochu
4th August 2008, 11:35 PM
Digression:

I am wondering when IR will fire his sound engineer?

Heard Dhanam with laptop speakers during travel, after coming home, it sounds totally different with woofer etc. However, it was no match for the sound quality in 'sakkaraikatti'.

atleast 3-4 songs (which are nice), could have sounded lot better if the sound engineer worked. IR has been plagued by this lack of quality for a long time and still it is.

rajasaranam
5th August 2008, 12:07 AM
dochu,

I had always a feeling that IR works out an average (meaning the mean average of sounds that will be heard) sound quality for his songs to sound good in a local player aswelas a hi-fi player. His 80's songs which had great sounds were played in a 'kozhai speaker' aswel a good quality tape recorder those days and it sounded great in both systems. Today his songs can be played in a hi-fi system aswel a locally made Rs.1000 DVD/VCD/ACD/MP3 player and would sound great in both players. :)

Iam finding more nuances in his 80's songs in regards to recording of sounds, when listening in an IPOD or a Hi-Fi system now, which were not noticed by me before, Yet I had loved those songs, then. For instance the 3 voice couterpoint of Raaja in 'Raaja Raajathi Raajan intha Raaja' was a revelation to me only few years ago. I just love this song 'now' for this and also the way rhythm revolves around from left aural field to right aural field not leaving out the field in between too. There are scores of other songs of which I awe at the sound recording, I notice about them only while listening to it in an IPOD or a good System.

A 'Sakkarakatti' can only be enjoyed in a hi-fi system, period! :P

GOOD that you are enjoying 'Dhanam' Better than before.
There is no need for firing his 'Sound Engineer' He is perfectly OK. who else could have come up with the awesome sound of flesh hitting flesh in 'Sathya' ( Ofcourse with the guidance of Raaja and Kamal) :!:

Just because you and me are accessible to an IPOD/Hi-Fi system its unfair to abandon the multitude of people who listen to these songs in local FM Radios ( you get one for as cheap as Rs.100) or a local player. Raaja Cares for them is what I believe :oops:

dochu
5th August 2008, 12:35 AM
RS,
It is ok if he wants to cover mass - but I miss the nuances (clarity) of his music. :x

Anyway, by any chance do you have better quality of 'Mayilu'? I tried improving the sound with soundforge - but nothing helped.

Yanathey, vellimal, and kirku adi kirukku have played non-stop for a while in system now. :-)

jaiganes
5th August 2008, 02:23 AM
dochu,

I had always a feeling that IR works out an average (meaning the mean average of sounds that will be heard) sound quality for his songs to sound good in a local player aswelas a hi-fi player. His 80's songs which had great sounds were played in a 'kozhai speaker' aswel a good quality tape recorder those days and it sounded great in both systems. Today his songs can be played in a hi-fi system aswel a locally made Rs.1000 DVD/VCD/ACD/MP3 player and would sound great in both players. :)

Iam finding more nuances in his 80's songs in regards to recording of sounds, when listening in an IPOD or a Hi-Fi system now, which were not noticed by me before, Yet I had loved those songs, then. For instance the 3 voice couterpoint of Raaja in 'Raaja Raajathi Raajan intha Raaja' was a revelation to me only few years ago. I just love this song 'now' for this and also the way rhythm revolves around from left aural field to right aural field not leaving out the field in between too. There are scores of other songs of which I awe at the sound recording, I notice about them only while listening to it in an IPOD or a good System.

A 'Sakkarakatti' can only be enjoyed in a hi-fi system, period! :P

GOOD that you are enjoying 'Dhanam' Better than before.
There is no need for firing his 'Sound Engineer' He is perfectly OK. who else could have come up with the awesome sound of flesh hitting flesh in 'Sathya' ( Ofcourse with the guidance of Raaja and Kamal) :!:

Just because you and me are accessible to an IPOD/Hi-Fi system its unfair to abandon the multitude of people who listen to these songs in local FM Radios ( you get one for as cheap as Rs.100) or a local player. Raaja Cares for them is what I believe :oops:

Add to that Rahman owns a full fledged studio of his own and mandates that he will only use that. Raja OTOH has his floor in Prasad lab and if the movie is big and there is money available uses a different studio/ full sized orchestra - So cost plays a big factor - but this atleast keeps him accessible to every layman producer and institute fresh pass out director.

Saw Aval appadiththaan finally and was suprised to see how with a very low cost, available singers, he has created a track that can beat any modern song hands down when played side by side.
Added to that - he also lends his voice to a letter for Arun (Kamal) from his Father!!!

equanimus
5th August 2008, 02:31 AM
Added to that - he also lends his voice to a letter for Arun (Kamal) from his Father!!!
Uh, Jaiganes, that's Ananthu's voice as far as I know.

jaiganes
5th August 2008, 02:39 AM
Uh, Jaiganes, that's Ananthu's voice as far as I know.

I thought it was raaja's - same nasal pronunciation. I could well be wrong. - my bad.
However there is no denying the quality of the awesome ghazal that S.Janaki sings - 'Vaazhkai Odam sella'or the ever so sweet 'Uravugal' sung by KJY.
Not to forget the crisply sung by Kamal - 'Panneer pushpangale'.

This whole album did not have a great pool of violins, cellos or bass guitars - just plain old melody with minimal instruments - the effect 30 years later on is still stunning!!!

eagle
5th August 2008, 02:57 AM
Dochu,
I agree with your concern. Looks like rajasaranam is justifying this out of the way by putting himself in raja's shoes :). Raja had problems with every audio company, he started his own one (remember the visiri logo) the result is the loss of sound quality of many of his albums. Even now I remember how crazy my audiophile friends were about the thanganagan LP record the quality was amazing. Wat I failed to understand was why there was so much inconsistency in terms of sound quality in his albums. Now I understand :). The truely sad thing is albums like rajapaarvai suffers in that area. I recently bought a cd hoping that quality wud b Gud but it was not so. The culprit is raaja himself. See Rahman never u can say his albums lacks sound quality.

dochu
5th August 2008, 06:12 AM
guys,
problem is - we don't know what we are missing. this guy is capable of creating novel sounds and tunes, if the quality is bad, most likely they don't come out well.

to me, music is much dependent on quality of the sound itself. isn't that fundamental to the music itself. Days of AM radio and other things are over. Nowadays, I stopped buying DVD's after seeing Blu-ray. Isn't it time that he 'upgraded' to the latest 'innovations'? His sons KSR and YSR sound quality are far far superior than his.

To me, it shows that either he doesn't care or he is having a sound engineer who has been with since 70's or so. although I have met one of them (10 yrs ago). I am not sure whether he is still around with him.

i have been working on IR's songs and cleaning up myself (i am not a sound engineer by any means). but most of them are far beyond correction. UO sounded lot better than dhanam. still I haven't gotten hold of CD of Dhanam, but from mp3 I could see where the quality will be from past trend.

ennamo pongappa ......eppadiye polambiye we are going to end our lives. :D

raja_fan
5th August 2008, 06:41 AM
Mallepuvvu audio released yesterday !!

Photos of IR in the function and some self boasting talk from IR..

http://www.idlebrain.com/news/functions/audio-mallepuvvu.html

vigneshram
5th August 2008, 08:00 AM
Mallepuvvu songs

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/movie/A0001345.html

raja_fan
5th August 2008, 10:18 AM
Listened to all the songs in Mallepuvvu !

Another instantly likeable album following UO and Dhanam. :bluejump:

Listen first to Chirugali by Vijay Yesudas ! a vintage IR :)

8 songs seem to be unnecessarily a large number, but atleast 5 songs out of them is brand IR and strengthens the positive signs that IR is coming back ! :thumbsup:

rajasaranam
5th August 2008, 11:50 AM
Thalaivar ippa almost ella album release'kkum varaar poala :)

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 11:57 AM

8 songs seem to be unnecessarily a large number, but atleast 5 songs out of them is brand IR and strengthens the positive signs that IR is coming back ! :thumbsup:

நெஜமா தான் சொல்றீங்களா? நான் இன்னும் கேட்கல.

rajasaranam
5th August 2008, 11:57 AM
RS,
Anyway, by any chance do you have better quality of 'Mayilu'? I tried improving the sound with soundforge - but nothing helped.

Yanathey, vellimal, and kirku adi kirukku have played non-stop for a while in system now. :-)

NOPE :( that was recording done with a mobile phone of the interview that came in 'Kalaignar TV' Launch Day and uploaded by 'NagaS'.
I just did some editing and and converted to MP3 from AMR and uploaded. hoping the financial troubles for the movie ends soons and it gets released :?

raja_fan
5th August 2008, 12:12 PM
நெஜமா தான் சொல்றீங்களா? நான் இன்னும் கேட்கல.

Satthiyamaa solren :)

IR seems to have come out of his self imposed dull phase.

Mallepuvvu doesnt have any complexity !
Very simple yet likeable tunes !
No "irritating pauses", free flowing 80's style tunes !! :)
Again synth, but lot of fresh piano, flute pieces :)

Choice of singers is very good ! Shreya, IR, Karthik for the romantic numbers... and Tippu, Bhava have been given just what they can do better :)

Now I am not sure what to listen...Dhanam or Mallepuvvu..
Pazhassi Raja also will arrive this month...hmm..Choice is going to be difficult !! :D

MumbaiRamki
5th August 2008, 12:16 PM

raja_fan : Naan konjam expectations a better korachchukiraen :)
Apuram namma Karthik ( itwofs) ippadi blog yezuthuvaaru.

" One would have just grabbed the album on seeing the number of songs, if it were 1985 . But these days its more of a suspicion than adrenal:)

krish244
5th August 2008, 12:40 PM
Instantly liked the title melody (his recent found melody pattern). I dont know why IR wants to keep the interludes simple. Although it suits the song, I prefer better interludes (with flutes/violins, etc...mmm...dream ended)

Lokam with decent mass music should get popular. Listening to charanam portions, one gets reminded of "Yele nee ettipo" of MX.

Gajula did not impress me much, especially the pallavi. Partly different orchestration from IR. IR can really make better interludes.

Suvvi interlude shows glimpses of IR's (especially the way interlude ends with those strings) old interludes pattern. Sort of an old style IR telugu tune.

Did not like IR's humming (maybe his voice distracted) in the beginning. Although portions of tune sounds familiar, the overall tune is new. The first interlude with those piano like interludes is class. Loved it. This song situation should be in the lines of "Oh priya priya" I guess. I really wish someone apart from IR had sung this. His voice does not suit this type of song and also some places I can see strain.

Chirugaali is a good tune and nice singing. Loved the song. Mmmm...another IR's good song with only one charanam!

Hero is a decent fun song, not a regular tune. Will suit the situation.

IR has tried to make the song "Vasthava" sound different. Not much comments about this song.

This is nice, but very short. Is it shwetha (daughter of Sujatha), because she has the same voice :)

Will savour Chirugaali, title song & probably chandamama as well.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
5th August 2008, 01:36 PM
Krish244,

I too was not impressed by Gajula and Suvvi first.

Listen to it again and you will feel the change :)

Sanjeevi
5th August 2008, 02:31 PM

athuvum, naan pothuva intha maathiri vizhakalil kalanthu kolvathillai-nu marakkama sollidurar :lol:

kameshratnam
5th August 2008, 03:12 PM

athuvum, naan pothuva intha maathiri vizhakalil kalanthu kolvathillai-nu marakkama sollidurar :lol:

Neenga film ku music ke panna vendam...u have said in a lot of interviews that u dont like film music..Then come on start doing albums and symphonies...We are here to hear those gems..

Lets start with RPO..release it first....u need not even come for that function...just release the rights...we will take care of the rest..

krish244
5th August 2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.nonstopcinema.com/nsc/headlines/news_content.php?fileName=596

audio release function. One line says

"After a long time Maestro Illayaraja scored tunes for the movie"

Don't know how they frame sentences. Could mislead into thinking (who does not know about IR's speed) that IR took long time to score the music :).

Krishnan

realactivex
5th August 2008, 04:48 PM
I know it is goingback a few pages and probably out of context, but just was listening to Anumanaspadam(Telugu) and a sonu nigam song (Raa raa raa gumma) sounded mesmerising. The way it peaks to a crescendo and abruptly ends in a cliffhanger is amazing.. Learned people in this forum could probably call it as "likeable experimentation". If that does not qualify to be an experiment, dont know what else is. A high energy song.. If you havent heard it in the recent past.. please do hear it again and post your comments.

realactivex
5th August 2008, 04:53 PM
Also, can anybody in this forum throw some light on why IR and chiranjeevi stopped collaborating since so long.. IR has always given evergreen gems with chiru right from abhilasha (1983).. till their last (stuvartu puram police station/(1992?) And then the magic stopped.

raja_fan
5th August 2008, 04:57 PM
Hello,

enna paa inge nadakkudhu.. ?

"Malle puvvu" songs-a kaettuttu comments adippeenga-nu nenaicchaa aal aalukku yedhedho post panreengale... :sigh2:

Hulkster
5th August 2008, 05:04 PM
:lol2: Thalaivar is back certainly...i told you all he was just waiting for proper scripts.

Intha albumum seri ellei nu sonaal... :lol2:

Hulkster
5th August 2008, 05:22 PM
Can anyone identify what raagam Chirugaali is? Seems very familiar :confused2:

realactivex
5th August 2008, 05:30 PM
HI Raja fan,
Not sure if your comments were intended for me. I dont understand tamil :-(
But if my interpretation on my posts being out of context, then i apologise. I do admit they were out of context. If that was not what you meant, please can you write back in english.

Hulkster
5th August 2008, 05:34 PM
The theme is unbelievable...thalaivarey..instrumentation and orchestration of the stupenditis of the meesic :notworthy:

raja_fan
5th August 2008, 05:40 PM
Relactivex,

I just expressed my irritation that people here are talking about some things else when another album "Mallepuvvu" has just been released !

Nothing against any particular individual including you !

Please do not irritate by talking some old album or news here when we have something hot before us now :)

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 06:48 PM
I listened to Mallepuvvu songs once at Raaga.com. My initial reaction is this is better than Dhanam definitely. I searched for mp3s on the net and they are available in 128kbps format, I am downloading new songs of IR in mp3 for the first time. :D

BTW, Vasthavo Naatho - bad song, couldn't listen to it fully.

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 07:01 PM
raja_fan,

I am listening them in mp3 (the quality is still poor) but sounds like these melodies will be big hits in Telugu. I understand your excitement about this album :)

All songs are penned by one lyricist, Veturi. How are the lyrics, guys? Are they good?

eagle
5th August 2008, 07:13 PM
Listened to all the songs. overall a feel good album for raja fans better than Dhanam. But cant help feeling that the tunes have "already heard" effect.
There is nothing new he is going to achieve by composing for films.
Time for Raaja to really come out of the films concentrate on "NEW PROJECTS" as he mentions in raaja.com. we fans are here to support....

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 07:19 PM
eagle,

You will get those NEW PROJECTS only if he involves with film projects and keep himself busy. :)

dochu
5th August 2008, 08:03 PM
MP songs - sounds very nice. Definietely better than Dhanam. some - reminds his older songs.

Is 'Chandamama' based on a previous song. I can't seem to narrow it down.

raja_fan
5th August 2008, 09:03 PM
The albums of 2008 so far strongly indicate a bunch of changes in IR.
His energy level seems to be in a new high and his interaction with people has become more cheerful as reports suggest.

What I wonder is how much confidence this man should have inside his heart ! He agrees more and more films. How can a guy come up with more and more tunes and rearrange the same patterns ( like in a kaliedoscope ) he had weaved over 30 years now !!
And yet he tirelessly springs up surprises like "Chirugali" or "Chandamama" without any fear of replicating any of his thousands of tunes so far ! Truly amazing !

rooky
5th August 2008, 09:11 PM
Wonderful songs..IR definitely in a good form now.mm..getting his foot work and hand-eye co-ordination right..Expect some huge hits soon.

Chandamama is simply mermerising..wonderful flow,intimidating interludes and shreya goshal's sweet voice does it all.Loved it very much.

Chirugali another IR stamp melody there and a wonderful theme piece.

Good effort from IR.No complaints at all from me...

rooky
5th August 2008, 09:21 PM
Meanwhile, Behindwoods reviews Dhanam's audio..

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-music-reviews/review-1/dhanam-music-review.html

eagle
5th August 2008, 09:37 PM
The difference between IR and MSV is the later apart from composing for films didnt try any full length instrumental albums like HTNI, nothing but wind etc., so when raaja came and took charge capturing the younger generation img. then, MSV was kind of fading away from the scene.
The same thing is happening to Raaja now, in my opinion he fails to capture the younger generation imagination now. YSR, AR doing the job perfectly. The last time Raaja did something close to that was decade back with kaadhalukku mariyaadhai.
But still Raaja can do something which no other MD in TFM including Rahman cant do thats writing a symphony or fusion albums. for some reasons he is not concentrating on that.

app_engine
5th August 2008, 09:50 PM
Digression-

The difference between IR and MSV is the later apart from composing for films didnt try any full length instrumental albums like HTNI, nothing but wind etc.,

Not true. I have seen the MSV's instrumental disk in the collection in our school (light music) and it was phenomenal. I wasn't able to locate the same on the web and created a thread in msvtimes.com requesting them to have it online - they didn't do for a while and I haven't checked recently.

Most people who used to listen to IOKS in the late 70's & early 80's are familiar with the starting music of the program 'pongum poompunal' in the morning when new songs were broadcast. This is from that MSV instrumental album. There was another with a locomotive engine sound which was the best of all, IMO. This piece is somewhat similar to the prelude of 'andha mAnaippArungaL azhagu', which is awesome as well.

End-digression

irir123
5th August 2008, 09:53 PM
Saw Aval appadiththaan finally and was suprised to see how with a very low cost, available singers, he has created a track that can beat any modern song hands down when played side by side.

are you referring to the 'uravugal thodarkathai' song ? OMG, what an astounding prelude and a spellbinding first interlude!! thats the IR am missing these days!

and btw, Rajinikanth simply rocks in Aval Appadithaan! his "dei mapplai" discussions with Kamal are some of the best scenes of Rajini in his career IMO!

MumbaiRamki
5th August 2008, 09:55 PM
http://mumbairamki.blogspot.com/2008/08/mallepuvvu-ramp-goes-up.html

"First UO, dhanam and now this - this is certainly upward trend to a good extent , although still short of the timless classics he has produced. My last sentence is going to irk some sincere fans "

jaiganes
5th August 2008, 10:03 PM

are you referring to the 'uravugal thodarkathai' song ? OMG, what an astounding prelude and a spellbinding first interlude!! thats the IR am missing these days!

and btw, Rajinikanth simply rocks in Aval Appadithaan! his "dei mapplai" discussions with Kamal are some of the best scenes of Rajini in his career IMO!
you have to listen to 'vaazhkai odam sella' by SJ that sits right besides ' Enna desamo' when it comes to pathos ridden Ghazal kind of number that is simply awesome.
Usually ghazal kind of songs require two to three patient listenings before you start appreciating their inner beauty. This one takes you in to the sanctum straight away in the first hearing. And it suits the beautiful movie ever so aptly lke a stamen on the red hibiscus flower - tender - neatly poised and delicate.

eagle
5th August 2008, 10:08 PM
From which movie this one 'vaazhkai odam sella' ? Enna desamo is from UKNV i hope.

irir123
5th August 2008, 10:08 PM
you have to listen to 'vaazhkai odam sella' by SJ that sits right besides ' Enna desamo' when it comes to pathos ridden Ghazal kind of number that is simply awesome.
Usually ghazal kind of songs require two to three patient listenings before you start appreciating their inner beauty. This one takes you in to the sanctum straight away in the first hearing. And it suits the beautiful movie ever so aptly lke a stamen on the red hibiscus flower - tender - neatly poised and delicate.

I just happened to miss out mentioning 'vaazhkai odam' - thats all! yes its a perfect Ghazal feel song, especially the part "ulagathhil penmai uyarvaaga villai" followed by the humming by SJ is simply out of the world!

as a digression, you still didnt give your response to my comments on Rajinikanth's classy performance in that film!

eagle
5th August 2008, 10:10 PM
App_engine i didnt know that MSV scored a full length instrumental album. That one has any title?

app_engine
5th August 2008, 10:15 PM
One more digression -

App_engine i didnt know that MSV scored a full length instrumental album. That one has any title?

Looks like it's titled "thrilling thematic tunes of MSV" or something like that (I don't remember what it was on the disk in our school collection, that they used to play before / after some school functions, being an instrumental album).

Look at this thread, opened a year ago:
http://www.msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216

End-digression

Now let's get back to dhanam & malleppuvu (and UO):-)

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 10:35 PM
Is 'Chandamama' based on a previous song. I can't seem to narrow it down.

I am not sure but I felt couple of lines in charanams similar to 'iLavattam' from My Dear Marththaandan.

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 10:43 PM
The difference between IR and MSV is the later apart from composing for films didnt try any full length instrumental albums like HTNI, nothing but wind etc., so when raaja came and took charge capturing the younger generation img. then, MSV was kind of fading away from the scene.
The same thing is happening to Raaja now, in my opinion he fails to capture the younger generation imagination now. YSR, AR doing the job perfectly. The last time Raaja did something close to that was decade back with kaadhalukku mariyaadhai.
But still Raaja can do something which no other MD in TFM including Rahman cant do thats writing a symphony or fusion albums. for some reasons he is not concentrating on that.

I agree with you. But please give some more time to Raja to get hold of right sounds in the synth. Once he does that (consciously or unconsciously), then there will be no stopping. After listening to Mallepuvvu, I am confident that that day is not far away.

selvakumar
5th August 2008, 10:58 PM
The last time Raaja did something close to that was decade back with kaadhalukku mariyaadhai.
:notthatway:
S E T H U

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 11:01 PM
The last time Raaja did something close to that was decade back with kaadhalukku mariyaadhai.
:notthatway:
S E T H U

What about Pithamagan Selva? :lol: iLangaathu was popular among youngsters too.

selvakumar
5th August 2008, 11:02 PM

Beg to differ A LOT ! :lol:

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 11:12 PM

Beg to differ A LOT ! :lol:

Please note 'for NK also you will have to beg to differ A LOT' :D

jaiganes
5th August 2008, 11:16 PM

I just happened to miss out mentioning 'vaazhkai odam' - thats all! yes its a perfect Ghazal feel song, especially the part "ulagathhil penmai uyarvaaga villai" followed by the humming by SJ is simply out of the world!

as a digression, you still didnt give your response to my comments on Rajinikanth's classy performance in that film!

On rajini's performance, I am churning out something on that. however this being Raaja's thread I don't want to discuss here.
If you want my opinion - I would say it was a vintage performance

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 11:16 PM
Gaajula has a few phrases similar to 'Botany' song from Udhayam in anupallavi??

selvakumar
5th August 2008, 11:17 PM

Why ? May be you think everyone will be in *begging mode* after that ? :lol:

Sorry... I won't enter into that mode at any point of my life.. Hope you get that :lol:

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 11:25 PM

Why ? May be you think everyone will be in *begging mode* after that ? :lol:

Sorry... I won't enter into that mode at any point of my life.. Hope you get that :lol:

Lets keep it down, Selva in this thread. We will discuss once it is released.

selvakumar
5th August 2008, 11:28 PM
I have always kept this AWAY from this section Judge.
Moreover, I don't think I will DISCUSS on this in my life time.
I should have some info on that. I don't think I will GAIN it

MrJudge
5th August 2008, 11:34 PM
I have always kept this AWAY from this section Judge.
Moreover, I don't think I will DISCUSS on this in my life time.
I should have some info on that. I don't think I will GAIN it

OK!

irir123
6th August 2008, 12:05 AM
my initial impressions of Mallepoovu

1.chandamama - WOW first interlude with beautiful piano usage and strings are a welcome addition! the charanam has the flow that we all know IR for! but strictly IR shd not have sung this song and if he can also do away with the synth replacing with live instruments, then....

2.chirugaali - hmmm - ok tune and uninteresting interlude

3.gaajula - didnt impress me on first hearing - maybe tailored to a situation - again interludes are missing IR's zing

4.hero - once-listen-forget-it track - second interlude has a short violin soliloquy that just gives a whiff of IR's class, but the overall song - wudnt touch it with a bargepole from a distance

5.lokam - am getting tired of such insipid tunes from IR -

6. malle poovulo - nice pallavi, with weird sounds in the first interlude, ordinary charanam - second interlude starts off interestingly but then meanders away - charanam has an underlying spanish guitar like sound

7.suvvi suvvi - prelude is IR of the old - pallavi is rhythm based hence melody is chequered - 1st interlude is WOW! - charanam is so-so on first hearing

8.Theme music - pick of the album! but would not rank it with any of earlier IR's themes

9.vaasthava natho - interesting beginning with spanish (or is it latino-style ?) riffs and then comes 3 min of torture

hmmm - overall IR seems to be content with giving 3 good nos in an album that promised much - maybe am being too greedy

at this jucture, IR needs a BIG commercial breakthrough - which for him cannot/will not happen (IMO) without a genuinely attractive album with him in full form - that has always been the case with most of his telugu films/albms, during the 1980s and early 1990s - his half-hearted attempts will not gain popular acceptance

Mallepoovu has one great 'chandamama' and 3 decent tracks in "chirugali", "gajula" and "mallepoovolo" - though they are way ahead of contemporary tunes, from a HCIRF view, they are below his earlier standards

IR is perhaps not pushing himself hard enough for non-malayalam films! what am looking forward to is an explosive album that will stun with its variety and tempo - if IR had not done an album called GURU (Malayalam) or a Devadhai, a Hey Ram, an MX, an Azhaghi, my expectations wudnt have been this high!

IMO, Uliyin osai is the pick of all of IR's recent albums!

eagle
6th August 2008, 01:18 AM
Mr.Judge may i know wats the issue between Selva and u?

inetk
6th August 2008, 06:34 AM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/08/06/music-review-mallepuvvu-telugu-ilayaraja/

raja_fan
6th August 2008, 06:43 AM
People like a_e, Jaiganes and irir123 etc,

please dont digress too much like Rahni, MSV etc unless the info you post has some relevance to this thread !

I have seen a_e deleting such posts from the thread. But when it comes to his own digressions, I don't know what he is doing !!

MumbaiRamki
6th August 2008, 07:28 AM
I liked suvvi suvvi , hero nonchene song very much , esp the latter for the cool backgrounds.

Did anybody feel that the charanam of chirugali was mesmerising and the pallavi /anu pallavi was average ?

raja_fan
6th August 2008, 09:34 AM
MP songs are going to be big hits in AP. No doubts about it ! :)

app_engine
6th August 2008, 09:45 AM
mallepuvvu:

ChandamAmA is very nicely done (Sounds like a faster version of 'dEva sangeetham neeyallE' of Guru). Excellent song! First interlude is goose bump stuff!!

Bhava's song (suvvi suvvi) also sounds very pleasant!

MallEppuvvulO is sweet (Shreya excels and Karthik supports well, reminds me of some Hariharan song in Thamizh)

GAjula & ChirugAli are ok numbers (Vijay sounds like his dad now, lovable!)

Decent album!

raja_fan
6th August 2008, 09:52 AM
That "Hero" song is a fun number, but see how IR has played around with an excellent pallavi !

If IR is going to produce this movie in tamil, just these tunes are enough to create waves in tamil, especially that chirugali.

I did not believe RS's excitement when he told about the Nandalala song he happened to hear. Now I have full confidence !

kameshratnam
6th August 2008, 10:06 AM
I watched IR speak in Teja news yesterday night. This was in the audio release function of Malle.... He said if you find something in music ...come....he said RA..he asked did u find any new swaram in music..this was like IR making fun of the present generation MDS...this was in bad taste....He said the same during RPO..he said no one else can do it...
oh ! i thought IR was angry and yes he was angry...Kamesh, thats me..for all these days had forgotten that for me IR stops with music and i shd nt go beyond it..

As a devotee of Ramanar, i expect him to be calm and to have lesser ego and unforunately he is no where near :oops:

rajasaranam
6th August 2008, 10:31 AM
As a devotee of Ramanar, i expect him to be calm and to have lesser ego and unforunately he is no where near :oops:

There is a sea of difference between 'Ego' and 'speaking truth'.

raja_fan
6th August 2008, 10:36 AM
Kamesh,

Yes, Let us continue to focus on his music rather than his personal qualities :)

MrJudge
6th August 2008, 01:25 PM
A surprising review of Dhanam at behindwoods

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-music-reviews/review-1/dhanam-music-review.html

eagle
6th August 2008, 03:53 PM
I watched IR speak in Teja news yesterday night. This was in the audio release function of Malle.... He said if you find something in music ...come....he said RA..he asked did u find any new swaram in music..this was like IR making fun of the present generation MDS...this was in bad taste....He said the same during RPO..he said no one else can do it...
oh ! i thought IR was angry and yes he was angry...Kamesh, thats me..for all these days had forgotten that for me IR stops with music and i shd nt go beyond it..

Raja has taken refuge in sprituality but he is not a spiritual person per se. he is a bundle of contradictions. Its the same persom who said i am lower than an earthworm if u care to remember.
This kind of conflicts in his persona that fuels creativity but that unfortunately no longer happens as it used to in his prime time.
As raja_fan says it dosent matter at all as long as he delivers!!

jaiganes
6th August 2008, 04:56 PM

Why do you expect him to be something?
He is not your spiritual guru or something is he?
He is a music director/composer - rest is all cuts on a diamond - one might present a different allure compared to another.

dochu
6th August 2008, 05:53 PM
MP - a fresh one from IR. To me, all songs are so good including 'vasthavo'. :-)

wondering how MP would sound wiht less use of synth.

Hope telugu people support it. Guess tamil side has gone with 'rap' and songs that has words trying to fit with the music. Melody isn't working for them anymore.

Can 'raaga' experts here say on what raga is 'chandamamma' is based? It is super saturated with melody.

raja_fan
6th August 2008, 06:00 PM
Guess tamil side has gone with 'rap' and songs that has words trying to fit with the music. Melody isn't working for them anymore.

Nothing like that !
People take note of good works.
Manasellam and ONOK were both flops. But "nee thoongum.." and "Kaatril varum.." are both liked by people till today..

Even Dhanam is going to be a flop, a decent picturization of "Ilamai.." and "Unakkulle" will make the songs live up !

raja_fan
6th August 2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry, read as "Even IF Dhanam is going to be..."

rooky
6th August 2008, 07:55 PM

I agree with you. But please give some more time to Raja to get hold of right sounds in the synth. Once he does that (consciously or unconsciously), then there will be no stopping. After listening to Mallepuvvu, I am confident that that day is not far away.

This post meant as if IR songs after KM never got recognised by people/youth of TN.That is how i read it.Things are not so bad.

I could think of the following movies that has songs appreciated by people or should i say got popular..ie., post KM..

Sethu, Azhagi, KannukkulNilavu, Friends, Kasi (had very good acceptance esp in smaller towns), Manasellam, Pithamagan, Bharathi, Virumaandi, ONOK.

Did i miss any?

realactivex
6th August 2008, 08:35 PM
mallepoovu: Chirugaali will grow on you with repeated hearings..I did hear all the songs but is a rather hurry to finish them rather than to enjoy them :-(.

raaga.com wasnt very clear on my laptop.

The Theme music is decent and probably might set the pace in the movie (looks like title music), but i am not pleased with the absence of live orchestra other than vocals.

First opinion, will go down well with the telugus.

rprasad
6th August 2008, 09:22 PM
Inetk, I really wonder if you think before you use certain words when reviewing an album. Gajula and Chirugali is kiddish? What you mean by that? You mean that it sounds like a kids song? If that sounds like a kids song, then the song which launched ARR career Chinna Chinna aasai is a nursery rhyme backed with cool sounds. Nothing about Gajula or Chirugali sounds kiddish to me and i have listened to a lot of music including kids music.
Gajula is a simple situational(based on the lyrics it sounds like a ladies function. ) based folkish telugu song. By the way i know telugu well since i did all my education in Hyd.
Chirugali sounds mesmerizing from the first listen and would have been a song for KJ Yesudas if it would have been a decade back. His son does a very good job though. Nothing is simple or kiddish about this song. A real Gem of a song.

I think you are caught in a bundle of mixed/contradictory feelings when you review an IR album. One hand you want simple tunes on the other hand you think its outdated or kiddish or archaic. Its time you listened with a clear mind. I think you will appreciate more than the 3 songs you liked. I for one believe this is much better album than Dhanam. what i call a wholesome album from IR in a while.

Coming to Vasthava natho . The song is not oudated and it sounds catchy as it should be, probably the situation would be. A typical Item song in a bar or a group of guys singing and drinking. If you listen closely the song is not embarassing at all. the lyrics are not that bad eventhough an item song. Much better than some hit numbers from Tamil which had some real vulgar lyrics.

Also a lot of guys are complaining about the synth sound. I for one do not find anything wrong with his sound now even synth. It does not seem to impact his songs at all for me( and i am real IR fan and have listened to a lot of songs of his). I think you have to accept that this is going to be his new sound now. Do not keep living in past. and i am sure for the right project he will use the appropriate orchestra and live sounds. As for this movie all the songs sound lovely synth or not. Enjoy it guys . Its been a long wait but worth it.

inetk
6th August 2008, 09:29 PM
rprasad: Glad you loved Mallepuvvu and Dhanam songs so much - that's what actually matters, more than my 100 words.

pure bliss
6th August 2008, 09:51 PM
prasad,

why you always bring ARR into this ir topic? he dint refer ARR in his 100 words review !ditto with RS sakkarakatti hi fi system la than nalla kekkum. kashttam!

MumbaiRamki
6th August 2008, 10:14 PM
rprasad : even i was surprised at karthik's (inetk) dislike of the two songs . But it is 'his' view and his way of expressing of how he 'felt' .

I dislike the first song of a 'balana' composer - well most peopel like it. thats how we are ,right ?

why we like/dislike a particular piece of music cant be explained with a critical path analysis or a pareto analysis or quadratic equation ! Its how we feel !

app_engine
6th August 2008, 10:30 PM
Five good songs out of 8, that makes it a really good album IMO. Even during IR's peak period, albums with 5 good songs weren't released every week.

If we don't consider those of pAvalar creations / motherland pictures, BR/MR etc, most movies had 3-4 good numbers typically. (Look at the phenomenal panneer pushpangaL, even that had one forgettable vengAya sAmbAr.)

Thumbs up for MP:-)

app_engine
6th August 2008, 10:32 PM
I wish IR comes up with one album that has 100% Vijay Yesudas. It would be phenomenal!

ARUNPRAKASHKRISHNAN
6th August 2008, 11:20 PM
heard songs of mallepoove.just great.hope the producers promote the songs well. let's see

Tamilan
6th August 2008, 11:31 PM
Mellapoovu :2thumbsup: Fantastic album with excellent melodies

Looks like IR composed some song in 80s and released in 2008 :)

Can't wait to get my own CD

Sanjeevi
6th August 2008, 11:42 PM
I believe Malle Puvvu will be super hit

kattium koorum

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/ut/s/telugu/20

Sureshs65
7th August 2008, 12:26 AM
Lovely album. 'Chandamama' is excellent. Nice to see Shreya back in Illayaraja's album. 'Chandamama' is a melody reminiscent of the other excellent Illayaraja number, 'Kalaya Nijama', from Coolie No.1.

'Chiru Gaali' is another excellent number. Can't disagree more with Karthik's 'kiddish and simple' comment. Wish more kids-on-the-block, old or new, can compose like this !!

Melody rules this album, which is definitely a step above Dhanam. Waiting for the CD release.

Sureshs65
7th August 2008, 12:28 AM
I mean CD release in Bangalore

Sureshs65
7th August 2008, 12:36 AM
'Gaajula' is another wonderful melody. I honestly don't care if it is old or new but a melody is a melody and I think 'Gaajula' is one. Manjari has done a nice job. Illayaraja has got all three favorites of his, Shreya, Manjari and Bhava, sing in this album.

rprasad
7th August 2008, 01:17 AM
I always wondered if Ilaiyaraaja had a special affinity towards telugu movies. Very few of his telugu albums can be considered bad. Most of them have nice melodies or catchy songs.
Its amazing that he came up with these lovely songs in an hour's time. I know lot of producers/directors have said that he composed in 1 hour or 45 min etc.. But i guess it comes down to his mood during that period of time whether its 1 hour or 45 min or 30 min. I think he must have been a good mood during the1 hour for this movie composing.

But again i wonder was it the same when he composed for Maniratnam or Balachander before? Or did he take more time. It would be fascinating study if someone can make documentary about IR and interview all the top directors he has worked with and get their views on how the composing happened for their movies which resulted in such hit songs. and also get IR's take on what he did to compose those special songs. But again he might brush this off by saying that it just happened at that time and he did nothing. Will be an interesting project though if someone can take this up and try to make a short film on IR. I think it will have to be someone who has IR's respect and with whom IR will be able to talk freely.

ananth222
7th August 2008, 01:32 AM
Great album! 3 decent albums from IR in a short span... and bigger names on the pipeline... good times!

ananth222
7th August 2008, 01:37 AM
I always wondered if Ilaiyaraaja had a special affinity towards telugu movies.
I guess thats cos Telugu fans just enjoy the music for what it is, and get on with life... Tamil fans think "Would it look cool if I liked this song or hated it?" and base all subsequent actions on the answer to that.

app_engine
7th August 2008, 01:51 AM
rprasad,
Remember the MR interview when some of his movies' DVD's were launched? He made some comparison of IR & ARR there and remarked of IR delivering without much pushing and also very limited requirement of alterations.

OTOH, we have also read about IR giving MR the 'nilA adhu' tune for the 'thAlAttu' song initially during nAyakan composition. MR promptly rejected it and demanded something different which yielded 'then pANdi seemaiyilE'.

I remember reading in those days that IR took a long time & struggle to compose 'hEy pAdal onRu' for Priya. (Obviously he was suffering a low then which had to be compensated with "stereo" gimmick and also some unpleasant copy / inspirations for that album - dArling , akkarai seemai and to a smaller extent the O Priya song).

IMO, while IR is a gifted composer and a lot more consistent & prolific than many contemporaries, he also suffers from moods and quality of his customers. And possibly the stakes involved (he typically never failed a big-banner those days as also big budget ones) and the willingness of the producer to spend for music (anyone ready to go to Budapest will get a grand composition even today).

It should be interesting to contrast this 30 min, 1 hour kind of reports with ARR's reply to a reader's question in Kumudam on ability to compose in a few minutes:-)

rajasaranam
7th August 2008, 02:17 AM
Inetk...

why are U so much worried about Inetk's Reviews? I've long back started ignoring his reviews...Not because I find it wrong but because I've started to accept the fact that its his views and is not going change mine in anyway :) after reading most of his reviews (Still reading) I have come to know that he reviews the albums on a single listen, and pours out his thoughts that comes instantly. There is nothing wrong with that!
I just keep moving on coming to accept the new avatar of Raaja not comparing him with 'himself' or any other composer.
i disliked 'Dhanam' in the first hearing but slowly caught up with its intricacies. I loved 'MP' in the first listen itself especially 'Vaasthavo'! Thats what i love to call a real 'Telugu' Dhamaka after his 'Nenemi Chethunu' from 'ShivShankar' (Try listening to it for the energy level) or a 'Singapore Santhalona' from 'Shambu' :swinghead: ...ttha ithaanda 'Kuthu Paattu' Adichi kizhikannum :twisted:
Keep enjoying 'Raasaiaah' inspite of what anybody else says about his meesic :)

rajasaranam
7th August 2008, 02:25 AM
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/08/06/music-review-mallepuvvu-telugu-ilayaraja/

Have you ever reviewed your reviews after multiple Listenings or after the songs had become a hit? Just curious :)

jaiganes
7th August 2008, 03:29 AM
point to be noted is that IR gets paid just enough to composi in 1 hour and record it in a matter of a week, while modern MDs get paid to take AS LONG AS IT TAKES to compose and months for rerecording and this is applicable to most of the modern MDs. IR spends time on the album/tunes only if the movie needs it/ producer has paid enough etc.,
Then the next question of lot of guys is why he accepts such poor producer's projects - his answer would be - probably - quick money or just to encourage some new guy came to the studio with a lot of hope - we have heard of stories of how he did films even for free. - the more we try to discover the cause - the more it veers off into his actions/behavior, public speeches/ege etc., There is no other MD who is so much open before his fans/media - He is as he is. The rest hide behind veneers of humility which no one would ever find out if it is real or not.

raja_fan
7th August 2008, 06:40 AM
Vow !!

How many happy posts in just one day !!

Great guys ! Addhuu... !!

As rprasad has mentioned, this album is simply loveable no matter synth or not !

The "Mallepuvvu" song carried me away to the 80s to songs like "Poongaatru un paer solla..." etc !

The beauty of IR is his ability to sound like a Mallu or Telugu native when he crosses borders. Gaajula song is typical telugu folk , like "Vaan pole" from Salangai oli !
So to appreciate this song, one should have some understanding of Telugu taste..

I am now waiting for Pazhassi Raja where he will have tried some malabar style tunes set in ancient Kerala instruments :)

rajasaranam
7th August 2008, 09:21 AM
'Hero nenochane' was bugging me from yesterday that it resembles some other song which I've heard recently. I found out that its the song 'Kaiyil oru keyboardum' from 'Ajaantha'. :)
Is it cos of 'Tippu' or is it the same song masquerading as different ones :x

raja_fan
7th August 2008, 09:49 AM
RS,

For me the song sounded like "Marudhaani.." from Konji pesalam, again by Tippu !

Never mind, since Ajantha doesn't seem to hit the screens, its ok if IR reuses the tunes for more popular movies :)

licvskumar
7th August 2008, 09:57 AM
another movie to be released

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/article/40559.html

Rajasaranam

MrJudge
7th August 2008, 11:21 AM
I bought the Dhanam CD and listened to it couple of times. Dhanam dhanam is my least favorite and koothu onnu comes next. All other songs are good. It is released by Five Star Audio. I was eager to find out the technicians working with IR but no listing of them. :(

rajasaranam
7th August 2008, 11:28 AM
another movie to be released

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/article/40559.html

Rajasaranam

<Dig>
why are you signing as 'Rajasaranam' :? Are you also the same person in orkut who signs of as 'Rajasaranam' ? I had been using this nick for the past 8 years and its creating some confusion for the people who read the posts (Really! One of my friends called me up and asked whether Iam using two ID's in orkut) :evil:

Nothing to do with the owneship of a name, but its good if you dont use it, to avoid confusion :) </dig>

MrJudge
7th August 2008, 12:10 PM
I think 'kannanukku enna vendum' is much better than the tracks from UO. After listening to the songs on CD couple of times, I think Dhanam songs are good too. It boosts my confidence that IR will surely rock in Nandhalaa and in other upcoming movies. :D

crvenky
7th August 2008, 12:16 PM
Kannanukku enna vendum resembles in mood with Sollayo vai thirandhu. Any body felt so too?

inetk
7th August 2008, 01:01 PM

Have you ever reviewed your reviews after multiple Listenings or after the songs had become a hit? Just curious :)

Yes, I do. And when I feel I've completely bungled on a particular review, I do another review, just to make sure the few people who do read my review are not deprived of what I'm enjoying! GV Prakash's Oram Po is the only example, so far - however.

On another thought, I really liked your attitude - but I wonder why so many fans are (not necessarily Raja's, but others like Rahman's too) so insecure about negative/ mildly negative reviews! Do they really think a blog review or for that matter, even a mainstream magazine review will sway people away from a soundtrack?

Vikatan, for instance, seems to love Satyam's music. Times of India is making fun of the same soundtrack :-) Opinions have always been highly individualistic and diverse....sorry for the digression.

MrJudge
7th August 2008, 01:23 PM
[tscii:e9d9ff4c63]Ilayaraja composed Bobbili Raja songs in two hours – D Suresh Babu
D Suresh Babu said, “Ilayaraja is the finest technician I ever worked with so far. He is so efficient that he gave all the songs of Bobbili Raja film in just two hours. I used to be so afraid of sitting in his room when I was producing that film. I feel honed to sit along with him on this stage. I saw Ramana Maharshi photo in his room and Ramana Maharshi’s philosophy changed my life.”

I will direct a Telugu musical with Ilayaraja work - Jayasudha
Jayasudha said, “Mallepuvvu was a good film. I had been acting in films for the past 38 years and had been contemplating on directing a film for the past 15 years. Once I met Ilayaraja and discussed about directing a musical in a Hollywood musical style where most of the scenes are narrated using music and songs. He agreed to do it. I am sure that I will fulfill that dream one day.”

With me, music happens - Ilayaraja
Maestro Ilayaraja said, “It is a great opportunity to meet all of you. I generally don’t attend music launches. But this is an exception. Ramesh Varma approached me a few years ago with the subject of ‘Oka Voorilo’ and asked me to compose music. I did not like the story and I said a firm no. Veturi called me recently and said that he is sending a new guy to narrate a story. I realized that Ramesh Varma came again. I cautioned him that I will not do the music if I don’t like the story. I liked the story of Mallepuvvu. I felt that there is lot of scope for a good music. This film is about a love story happening to a building construction worker. He said that he is looking for five songs. I suggested him that there are eight situations for the songs and composed eight songs in a span of one hour (between 7 am to 8 am). I am surprised by these music directors who give interviews on TV explaining how they composed music. I feel that music can never be done. Music should happen. I feel that each and every music director (except me) are trying to do music. For me, music happens. It’s like bird flying in the sky. It happens. See how it appears when you try to do graphic work on a computer about how a bird flies.”[/tscii:e9d9ff4c63]

-From the MP audio release function

raja_fan
7th August 2008, 01:39 PM
but I wonder why so many fans are (not necessarily Raja's, but others like Rahman's too) so insecure about negative/ mildly negative reviews! Do they really think a blog review or for that matter, even a mainstream magazine review will sway people away from a soundtrack?

It is not insecure feeling ! just a small irritation when some careless comments are passed, like "kiddish" etc..

btw..if you don't want people to take your reviews seriously, then why are you so prompt in posting the link to your "nooru" every time an album is released ?

krish244
7th August 2008, 02:07 PM
7. Unakkulle: Melody tune of the album and I liked it. Who is the female singer? Sounds north indian. Certain times sounds like Shreya and certain times like Madhushree. Who is it?

I guess its Bela Shinde (voice sounds like a mix of Shreya and Madhushree). This song has simple, yet flowing interludes. Nice. BTW, the strings at the end (after the flute ends) of 2nd interlude is so Yuvanish!.

http://www.marathimovieworld.com/interviews/belashende-interview.php

"Billsandey" --> Americanised version of "Bala Shinde" :)

thanks,

Krishnan

rooky
7th August 2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/ut/s/telugu/10/

All 9 from MP at 1 thro 9 most user requested songs..good to see that.

I have always felt Telugu people love and appreciate IR more than we (Tamils) do.I talked to couple of telugu guys to mention that mallepuvvu audio released and they instantly replied,oh ya, it has ilayaraja's music.

Mallepuvvu with a medley of melodies (mallepuvvu,chandamama,chirugali,suvvi,Gajula,Them e) would surely get the appreciation from the Telugu people.

Sincerely expecting our own people to lap-up atleast couple of songs from Dhanam .

inetk
7th August 2008, 03:16 PM
:-). Mine is an opinion. Whether its taken seriously or not depends not on me but others who read it. I'd certainly want my opinion to be taken seriously, but I'm not keen on pandering to popular opinion just for that sake.

[quote]
btw..if you don't want people to take your reviews seriously, then why are you so prompt in posting the link to your "nooru" every time an album is released ?

realactivex
7th August 2008, 03:20 PM
Raja fan..
You hit the bulls eye when you said that raja transforms himself when he crosses borders..
cant help going back into nostalgia but he has used so many local folk tunes for the perfect flavor..even within a stage, each region has its flavours and he has used it to hair raising effects.. As SPB said in one TV show.. IR is a Rakshasudu!!
As an example, listen to "bhaagyada
balegaara" song from nammura mandara hoove (1996) kannada.. This is a folk song (from udupi/karwar region)which was made popular after Raaja used this song in nammura...

Sorry for the digression... couldnt help it.

krish244
7th August 2008, 04:28 PM
Rediff says "Dhanam" is a good album!

http://inwww.rediff.com/movies/2008/aug/07ssd.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
7th August 2008, 07:31 PM
The comments below the rediff review are quite interesting (possibly by a TFM DF'er).

ARUNPRAKASHKRISHNAN
7th August 2008, 09:55 PM
dear friends, i am listening to fm channels frequently.but i dont get a chance to listen to uliyin oosai or dhanam songs. why they dont play them?

Sanjeevi
7th August 2008, 10:13 PM
Poor FM listeners

verenna solla :)

K
7th August 2008, 10:32 PM
Some Good numbers by thala in Mallepoovu, ChiruGali Track reminds EramanaRojave from Ilamai Kaalangal and the Malathy Song too reminds a old song, all round performence overall

K
7th August 2008, 10:54 PM
http://www.idlebrain.com/news/functions/audio-mallepuvvu.html

rajasaranam
8th August 2008, 12:14 AM
I am right now in Secundrabad. For the past 20 days or so I used to visit 'Sangeeth Saagar' the music shop near 'paradise circle' and ask the store people 'has Mallepuvvu released?' They got bugged by me and 4-5 days back said it will come only after Aug 15th. I was disappointed :( After hearing the release news I went there and asked them announcing with authority that 'Its released now' :) as they had not received their copies yet they responded with the same answer that though its released they will get their copies only after 15th. I made it a practice to walk along the shop everyday once in morning and once in evening. today evening I rushed in after seeing the posters of the movie on their shopfront. Even before I walked in the attendant was ready with my copy in his hand with a big grin in his face. :)
Hearing it in CD Quality now :oops: the songs sounds even more greater :)

tomorrow Iam in Chennai hopefully will get my hand on Dhanam original Copy. Next week its 'Kozhikode' hope 'Pazhasiraaja' releases by then and within I reach B'lore again in nxt few weeks Nannavaanu Releases. I would have come a full circle in all four states getting to hear my dearest 'Raaja' buying it from the state where the music belongs to.
I love my life and job more than ever now. :lol:

Sureshs65
8th August 2008, 01:03 AM
Rajasaranam,

I am doing a very similar thing to 'Calypso' in Bangalore as you did for Sangeeth Sagar, for both Mallepuvu and Dhanam. No luck yet :( Hopefully these guys will get it in a day or two.

S.Suresh

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 06:41 AM
http://www.cinefundas.com/2008/07/20/moser-baer-entertainment-sony-bmg-music-join-hands/

Moser Baer moves beyond Mayilu and ties up with SONY for its future movies.

Though the article says, Mayilu is slated for release in current year, it seems the fate of Mayilu is uncertain :(

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 07:07 AM
Yuvan recommended Rita to IR.

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2008/08/08/stories/2008080850341600.htm

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 10:28 AM
In "Ulagam kidakkudhu..", the interlude sounds like "Raaga.com" music..right ? Whose original is this music ? Did IR copy ? :(

rajasaranam
8th August 2008, 11:36 AM
The violin Accompaniment in the song 'Chandamama' is mesmerising. The guitar that starts off in the prelude after the humming is a Raaja Speciality, The piano/violin-flute in the first interlude is a winner. Yes there is synth but not irritatting stuff as some are pointing. Though I love Raaja's voice Iam missing SPB for this song. He would've added more colors definitely.

rajasaranam
8th August 2008, 11:43 AM
Offlate Iam also noticing Raaja using the same song, in the background, in different layers with its volume down while the timing is little ahead/later the actual song that is playing. Though Iam indifferent to such wizardry using the modern technolgy it does give some nice effect overall while listening in IPODs or Good systems :)

MrJudge
8th August 2008, 12:17 PM
In "Ulagam kidakkudhu..", the interlude sounds like "Raaga.com" music..right ? Whose original is this music ? Did IR copy ? :(

There are two pieces from commercial loops (I guess) used in Ulagam Kidakkuthu, the raaga.com music in the first interlude and the guitar piece (that has been used by Yuvan in YNM) in the second interlude.

Sanjeevi
8th August 2008, 12:24 PM
The violin Accompaniment in the song 'Chandamama' is mesmerising. The guitar that starts off in the prelude after the humming is a Raaja Speciality, The piano/violin-flute in the first interlude is a winner. Yes there is synth but not irritatting stuff as some are pointing. Though I love Raaja's voice Iam missing SPB for this song. He would've added more colors definitely.

Not only in this song :oops: :cry:. What is the last song SPB sung for IR in tamil? also in all langages?

same to S.Janaki, Chithra and Mano too :(

Sanjeevi
8th August 2008, 12:38 PM
Male:
உனக்குள்ளே இருக்கின்றேன் எங்கு தேடிப் போனாய்
எனக்குள்ளே உனைக் கண்டேன்

Female:
உனக்குள்ளே இருக்கின்றேன் எங்கு தேடிப் போனாய்
எனக்குள்ளே உனைக் கண்டேன்

:banghead: enna oru controdiction

lyric-la logic ellam kidaiyatha? :lol:

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 12:46 PM
Sanjeevi,

enna contradiction inge ? :)

chinnam sirusunga "naama rendu perum onnukkulle onnu"-nu paadikkudhunga :)

Sanjeevi
8th August 2008, 01:06 PM
athavathu

Kadhalan says "I saw you in me"
Kadhali replies "why are searching me somewhere, I am in you"?

got it?

MrJudge
8th August 2008, 01:13 PM
Sanjeevi,

enna contradiction inge ? :)

Both of them shouldn't be singing the same lines, logic nichchayama idikkuthu.

MrJudge
8th August 2008, 01:19 PM
I simply love the female humming with spanish guitar that comes between 1.48-1.52, 2.01-2.05 in 1st charanam and then the male humming in the second charanam between 3.33-3.37 & 3.46-3.50 in malle puvvulo. :D

eagle
8th August 2008, 02:18 PM
[tscii:b30be664c5]
With me, music happens - Ilayaraja
I did not like the story and I said a firm no. Veturi called me recently and said that he is sending a new guy to narrate a story. I realized that Ramesh Varma came again. I cautioned him that I will not do the music if I don’t like the story.”[/tscii:b30be664c5]

Its heartening to know that Raaja is not desperate to score music to watever movie thats being offered to him. But most of the gud directors are using other music directors his choices are minimal :(

eagle
8th August 2008, 02:21 PM
i wud like to know that other languages music CD's are available in chennai or we have to cross borders?

crvenky
8th August 2008, 07:05 PM
realactivex,
Which is the NMH song you mentioned about (Balegara)? I don't find such song in my collection. Can you please give me online link to that song?

NormalMan
8th August 2008, 07:25 PM
Listened to Mallepuvvu. Konjam summar album thann.... the saving grace IMHO would be the theme. Just not in lines with the magic of UO or a couple from Dhanam.

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 09:24 PM
realactivex,
Which is the NMH song you mentioned about (Balegara)? I don't find such song in my collection. Can you please give me online link to that song?

I was also wondering if NMH had a song like that.

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 09:25 PM
Listened to Mallepuvvu. Konjam summar album thann.

You are not NormalMan. You are AbnormalMan.

Just kidding :)

rosoma.j
8th August 2008, 09:42 PM
Hi

I am not sure if this album is mentioned already, i stumbled up on this link today.

Is this IR's album?.

http://www.hummaa.com/music/albumpage.php?md=29724

-Rosoma

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 10:18 PM
As feared, the release of Pazhassi Raja is again postponed to Christmas !

EKSI :(

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/malayalam/top-stories/2008/pazhassi-raja-historical-film-040708.html

raja_fan
8th August 2008, 10:19 PM
rosoma,

that is a dubbing of IR's Malayalam flop "Pacha Kuthira" !

irir123
8th August 2008, 11:40 PM
As feared, the release of Pazhassi Raja is again postponed to Christmas !

EKSI :(

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/malayalam/top-stories/2008/pazhassi-raja-historical-film-040708.html

even the music release is postponed is that so ?

licvskumar
9th August 2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry to Rajasaranam,

Naan athai Ilayarajavin manthiramaga than use panninen, engeyam ''by'' Rajasaranam endru use pannavillai. ungalukku atchepaney irunthal thavirthu kolgiren. ok

Malayalam Pachakuthira movie than ennai nee pirinthalum ena dub pannapadugirathu, voices are very worst recording. but IR music.

kameshratnam
11th August 2008, 12:00 PM
sun tv telecasted Adhu oru Kana Kalam..wow u shd have watched the climax and RR by IR..out of the world and very nice movie and i dont why it didnt run properly....

rajasaranam
11th August 2008, 01:11 PM
sun tv telecasted Adhu oru Kana Kalam..wow u shd have watched the climax and RR by IR..out of the world and very nice movie and i dont why it didnt run properly....

Because you waited for Sun TV to telecast the movie and didnt watch it in the theatre when it was released :)

realactivex
11th August 2008, 02:31 PM
CR venky and raja Fan,
Bhagyaada balegaara is not a full fledged song. it is only in the movie and not in discs..
It is something like @ Bhaagayaada balegaara hogi baa nann tavarooora.."
If i am not wrong, it comes in around 2 times briefly in the movie.. but was an instant hit with the masses in the theatre.
This song was later picked up my other music directors and popularised into full fledged folk type song.
A link here, not by IR but some other MD which came in much after NMH.
Liks to the lyrics.. and the mp3 ( not by IR though i havent played this link)
http://www.enidhi.net/2008/01/bhagyada-balegaara-kannada-song-lyrics.html

crvenky
11th August 2008, 04:39 PM
realactivex,
Thanks for the info. The lyrics are very poetic. Shall try to get the VCD.
BTW, your tagline is great (if you havent heard raja...)

rags141
12th August 2008, 09:15 AM
koothu onnu koothu onnu - closely resembles vaadi vethala paakku song....does anyone find this similarity....

rajasaranam
12th August 2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry to Rajasaranam,

Naan athai Ilayarajavin manthiramaga than use panninen, engeyam ''by'' Rajasaranam endru use pannavillai. ungalukku atchepaney irunthal thavirthu kolgiren. ok

thanks for Acknowledging my request.
You can use either 'Rajathiruvadi' or 'Rajasaranadi' which also means the same as 'Rajasaranam' :oops:(If you dont like both I will think of a better one for you)

rajasaranam
12th August 2008, 11:22 AM
koothu onnu koothu onnu - closely resembles vaadi vethala paakku song....does anyone find this similarity....

Not me :!:

raja_fan
12th August 2008, 12:58 PM
Any news on any other forth coming albums ?

I saw some news telling Dhanam is a Aug 15 release..

viraajan
13th August 2008, 01:50 AM

i dont know how many of you noticed this piece. Scene where Priyamani comes to meet Dhanush in prison, they both run towards each other, IR background-la violin music koduthurupparu.. the music will add more excitement to the scene, that will bring smile in your face... :notworthy:

k_vanan
13th August 2008, 06:45 AM
3. Kamal Haasan wanted to Ilayaraja to score music for Marmayogi, but it was Walt Disney who urged him to rope in A.R.Rahman since he has the mass of international fans.

source: Kollywoodtoday.com

Hulkster
13th August 2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah thats true, ARR's popularity and solitary base in pop music is within dimensions of most internationally recognised music forms. Nothing wrong with that i guess.

jaiganes
13th August 2008, 09:31 AM
I recently saw Disney's Enchanted.
The amazing songs had lyrics written by Steven Schwarz who had earlier collaborated with our Raaja for thiruvaasagam,

raja_fan
13th August 2008, 10:02 AM
since he has the mass of international fans.

Idhellaam overu :)
No Indian MD has international fans for him yet.
And Marma Yogi is going to be an international hit..is it ?? :lol:

rajasaranam
13th August 2008, 10:25 AM
since he has the mass of international fans.

Idhellaam overu :)
No Indian MD has international fans for him yet.
And Marma Yogi is going to be an international hit..is it ?? :lol:

There is a fan named 'massimo simmoni' for an Indian MD. The fan was so fascinated with the composers music that he arranged a musical show by the composer in Italy :)
Not to take away the credit from other composers, there is also a fan named Andrew Llyod Webber for another Indian MD. :oops:
but yes these are few stray instances and there is no fan following in a mass scale, for any Indian MD in international arena. :|

app_engine
13th August 2008, 10:43 AM
I've recorded some selected IR songs on CD's and given to my Detroit friends (who are musically inclined, play instruments etc) and they cannot stop admiring those...some can even recite those Thamizh lines without any trouble:-)

Music has no language barrier and IR can play to the emotions of any part of the world, esp. with west he'll be easily at home with his WCM calibre:-))

kameshratnam
13th August 2008, 11:13 AM
i want to rip only the instrumental and chorus portion of TIS..is there any way to do it

Today morning KTV telecasted idhayam...oh what a masterpiece..We shd tell IR "only u possible"....

The famous one in youtube is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjKAXSpfLPw

Sanjeevi
13th August 2008, 11:36 AM
yeah Idhayam had awesome BGM

one of my alltime favourite BGM

MrJudge
13th August 2008, 12:37 PM
3. Kamal Haasan wanted to Ilayaraja to score music for Marmayogi, but it was Walt Disney who urged him to rope in A.R.Rahman since he has the mass of international fans.

source: Kollywoodtoday.com

Earlier when IR was not roped in, he pointed at his directors as the reason and later switched his theme to producers. Why he says this thing over and over and for every movie? I sincerely hope IR puts him in the black list and never composes for his films/productions when he does some low-budget movies. He knows how to talk to IR and get his things done, and I hate IR falling for this guy's talks all the time.

nanchil_guy
13th August 2008, 01:39 PM
Common Judge, Kamal is the one who always ropes in IR in every of his home production.In 80's and 90's kamal wasn't required to insist on IR to any director/producer as IR was a marketable brand, so there was no problem.

but now every one have their own choice of MD and kamal doesnt want to enter into that issue.Even then he has been accused as interfering in their work.

More over IR and Kamal have good raport between them, there is mutual respect ( do you remember kamal's "kittathata Bharthikku equavalna talentthan idhu").

Not like Rajini, who avoided IR purely for commercial purpose, kmaml is not able to rope IR now a days as most of his recent/future movies are not his own production.

viraajan
13th August 2008, 02:54 PM
Common Judge, Kamal is the one who always ropes in IR in every of his home production.In 80's and 90's kamal wasn't required to insist on IR to any director/producer as IR was a marketable brand, so there was no problem.

but now every one have their own choice of MD and kamal doesnt want to enter into that issue.Even then he has been accused as interfering in their work.

More over IR and Kamal have good raport between them, there is mutual respect ( do you remember kamal's "kittathata Bharthikku equavalna talentthan idhu").

Not like Rajini, who avoided IR purely for commercial purpose, kmaml is not able to rope IR now a days as most of his recent/future movies are not his own production.

I don't think it's rajni's act to avoid IR. Rajni doesn't involve in selecting MD i guess. This is just my opinion.

PS: Yes, i do have the same doubt as why he went to ARR for his own BABA. :confused:

thumburu
13th August 2008, 06:37 PM
Dhanam - ILamai kanavugaL , true to its meaning is brimming with youthful energy and has some racy guitar works [synth guitar??] .
"Koothu onnu" is quite different and masks a nice melody
[abheri scale like "nila adhu vaanathu mela"]. I won't be surprised if Raja tweaks this tune to create a melodic number in future, the same way he did for "vaadi vethalaipaaku" from "Veera" .
Only IR is capable of makiing a brooding "thathuva paadal" like "kattilukku mattum thaana" sound interesting with nice orchestration and a jumpy tune. But I find the crude lyrics
unpalatable. May be this song would have earned many praise with a different lyrics and a singer like Janaki.
"Kannanukku enna" starts off like "saami kitta solliputten", but
immediately veers away in a different direction, thankfully. This pleasing melody becomes another "kurangu kaiyil poomaalai" in Bhavathaarini's hands till the second charanam, when
SriRam Paarthasarathy and Prassanna join in to salvage the song. What raga is this song?
"UnakuLLe" is another endearing melody with nice singing and
interludes
"uLAGAM KIDAKUDHU" could easily pass off as a HJ poppish song and that is no compliment. "Dhanam Dhanam" is forgettable

rajasaranam
13th August 2008, 07:00 PM
thumburu,

Thats an improvement! and iam happy to see that you are liking 5 out of 7 songs from this movie. Iam also observing many other people who had brushed off 'Raaja' as left with no fire anymore are appreciating his current albums.
I hope this positiveness continues and he will enthrall you all with Naan kadavul, Nandalala and Pazhasiraaja soon :)