PDA

View Full Version : The dictator

pavalamani pragasam
2nd November 2004, 11:34 PM
He is a veritable dictator. An unrelenting tyrant. A typical despot. He keeps me on my toes round the clock. He doesn’t give me a second’s time of respite. I am compelled to dance to his tunes. His peremptory orders are to be carried out instantly. He permits no arguments, no alternatives, no adjournments.

He has turned my world topsy-turvy. Utter chaos prevails where everything remained spick and span formerly. There is no stopping his trespasses. He stalks nonchalantly my domain with authority and audacity.

His menu is exotic, exacting and extraordinary. And often impossible. He is highly temperamental. His moods swing from shrieking joy to screaming pathos. He is all hugs and kisses one minute and races into a brutal beating spree the next, sparing no part of the body. Caught inside this whirlpool of tantrums, a total surrender is the only way out.

His preference rules in TV channel surfing. His touring pleasures are to be carried out immediately. His incessant questions have to be answered in the most convincing way. His mind is filled with a never-dying curiosity of the keenest kind. His non-stop battery of unworldly demands keeps me for ever on the alert in order to have them readily executed. No use trying to question the priority of his wishes over mine.

No beauty sleeps for me if it does not please His Majesty. I am expected to be his obedient playmate in what game his fancy is attracted to at the moment. The rascal laughingly turns a blind eye to my being a panting, puffing pair to his rapturously giddying pirouettes. His strong predilection for boisterous pranks keeps me in a state of constant terror.

Still, I run his errands with pleasure. His commands are obeyed implicitly. I keep aside my pet projects, personal preferences and favourite pastimes to make myself available when the lord wants my company. Strangely though,I have no complaints, no grudges.

The most unpredictable tornado happens to be my first darling grandson who has learnt to wind me round his little finger – old enough to articulate intelligently his whims and fancies. AND he has a LONG line of successors just waiting to catch up with him. Am I not content to be engulfed into the most endearing serfdom of the chastest pleasures of love! :lol:

malligai
3rd November 2004, 12:50 AM
PP,

//His touring pleasures are to be carried out immediately. His incessant questions have to be answered in the most convincing way.//

Only around here, i guessed that it could be one of ur grandchildren...hahaha...yess, they could be such tyrants at times..but how willing we r to heed to their beck and call... :D

and ofcourse ur grandson is lucky to have such a wonderful grandma...no wonder we dont see u a lot in the hub... :lol:

Surya
3rd November 2004, 07:47 AM
Any particular Dictator that you wanna talking about? 8) :D

Cygnus
4th November 2004, 06:08 AM
pAtti vIttup paraNil kudaiyai kaNdu pidithathum ivarthAnA :)
antha metaphor(if so) innum viLakkavillaiyE PP!

mellon
4th November 2004, 10:56 PM
The dictator is lucky that he could get a grandma who knows the value of the culture in which he happened to be born. Now the tamil-cultured grandma can give him a head-start lesson on the real meaning of democracy. He is sure in a good grandma hands! Lucky him :)

Cindy
5th November 2004, 12:09 AM
Hi PP

How life is changed when there is a kid at home....right?... and yes... the curiosity and the questions they ask...

My kid is just 2-1/2-year-old and sometimes he puts me in real trouble with his questions...and some statements in public...

He has a bad habit of coming to the kitchen and take salt from the shelf and eat it..as some mitthai... I warned him in the morning that he shouldnt eat salt and i will beat him if i see him eating salt anymore... and in the evening when i had guests and they were served some soup... the eldest among them took the salt springler and my kid grabbed it and kept in its stand.... and told him "do not eat salt...my mom will beat you..."

blahblah
6th November 2004, 11:55 AM
"Discipline your son with the rod so that he doesn't bring disgrace on you at your old age". 8)

mandangi
18th February 2005, 05:59 PM
Rod treament can also give negative resluts. Children may develop hatred on their parents after growing up. Love on children is very much better than rod treatment.

Shakthiprabha.
18th February 2005, 06:48 PM
pp madam,

First intro 2 lines, says it all. No extra effort needed to guess the tyrant dictator ( I have one who wants me to dance to her tunes)

Children are fun, more interesting when they start orating with us. I ve been brought up as only child, hence always was never too fond of holding children. During travels, if i find any toddler, or his/her parenst sit next to me, I politely smile and immy gaze out, before they could pick a conversation with me. It used to be awkward when children will actually call me, and smile at me, and try to befriend me. All I used to do is again, politely smile and ignore the friendly calls.

I COULD NEVER GET ALONG WITH BABIES WHO CANNOT TALK. After 2 to 3 years of age, when they start expressing themselves then children are FUN.

My daugher was the first kid, I ever carried. When no one is around, I woudl quietly endear her and try to fondle her.

My fondling woudl never be meaningless "chikku, kutti etc". My way of fondling would be LITERAL TALKING like how we talk to elder children.

So much so, even now I feel, I started loving my daughter more from the age of 3, when she was sweet enough to express herself, and thirsty with knowledge to question me, thereby helping me get into useful conversation with her.

As for rod treatment, I AM NOT SURE. "Spare the rod and spoil the child"- so they say!

A parent need not use rod, I GUESS scolding them or hitting them harmlessly (but harsh enough) on their back, ONCE A WHILE, would be sufficient.

__

I conclude with a THANKS note to mandangi, for bringing such nice thread from the OLD RACKS!

THX..:) MANDANGI...and did I say WELCOME TO FORUM HUB!

WELCOME :)

jaiganes
18th February 2005, 10:18 PM
One of my friends was visiting his relatives place in Chennai. He comes from LA and had brought his 3-1/2 year old girl along. At one point of time he wanted to take a picture and asked the girl to stand along with everyone for a pose. the little girl said that it will not come well and suggested and alternative angle :!: :!:
My friend was astonished and said that everyone has to be in the picture and asked her to comply. The little girl shot back "You think you are the only smart one around!!!!" For a moment there was a heavy silence and all of us burst out into laughter at the over the top dialogue from a little girl!!!! My friend had to use some hard tactic to make her realize the folly of her statement later, but the incident was definitely one worth remembering.

a.ratchasi
21st February 2005, 06:39 AM
Oh, Mrs Pavalamani. I can just imagine the antics of your 'dictator'.
My youngest cousin who is only two sends her 5 year old brother crying looking for their mom. The questions she poses are beyond her age. So much so she leaves me dumbstruck!!

She is bold and does not hesitate to question anybody. And how sly she gets when she wants something that she should not have in the first place. :D

Cinefan
24th February 2005, 10:51 AM
Nice thread to retrieve(Thanks mandangi)esp witha 1year boy at home who's already behaving like a dictator.He has his grandparents fully under control&knows clearly who will get his job done :D He's started uttering a few words&still walks with support,athukulle ithanai arbattam.We are waiting for the day when he will run&talk clearly with anticipation&shudder :D

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 11:20 AM
Cinefan wrote:

We are waiting for the day when he will run&talk clearly with anticipation&shudder
And when are you taking him to M.G.Road??? :wink:

Cinefan
24th February 2005, 11:24 AM
Is there any need for me to take him to M.G.Road&The Forum?With friends like you around,he will not find it difficult to explore those places,is it not? :D :wink:

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 11:37 AM
yes there is my friend. All said and done I am a migrant and a new kid in block as far as Bangalore is concerned. You are the pro M.G.Roader and can teach many tricks to your friendly dictator. Soon he will be busy with someone special and you need not shudder!!! :lol: :lol:

blahblah
24th February 2005, 11:44 AM
yes there is my friend. All said and done I am a migrant and a new kid in block as far as Bangalore is concerned. You are the pro M.G.Roader and can teach many tricks to your friendly dictator. Soon he will be busy with someone special and you need not shudder!!! :lol: :lol:

I can see dictators in Bangalore go to 'M G Road',pretty early in their career.What do you say guys? :wink:

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 11:51 AM
blbhblah wrote:

I can see dictators in Bangalore go to 'M G Road',pretty early in their career.What do you say guys?
I cannot agree more with you on this! :lol:
The question is "how early". Cinefan's dictator is only 1 and should we show him the pool or should he still be in his perambulator for some more time??? while his father goes drooling around.. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

mandangi
24th February 2005, 02:24 PM
-deleted-
irrelevant

Cinefan
24th February 2005, 03:57 PM
Nowadays no age is too early.My dictator went to M.G.Road when he was 4months old but I was so busy drooling that I didn't notice what he was upto :D

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 04:08 PM
Jokes apart,

I happen to babysit my cousin's 1 year old child. This kid is a bundle of energy (like all kids). My cousin lives in the first floor(rented premises). She had asked a carpenter to put a baby door, a small wooden frame that will stop her kid from climbing over it and off to the stairs. I stayed with them for 3 months and later kept visiting her for another 9 months. This kid's only aim was to climb over the frame. He is usually a quiet kid, would talk to anybody coming to house and generally soft (doesn't cause a wreck too often). I heard from my cousin one day, that the moment he was able to climb over the frame, this dictator of ours silently slipped out to the stairs and started crawling/climbing over to the penthouse!!! It is then I/we realized that this had been the goal he had been aiming at all along. Nowadays my cousin has to plead with him and beg him not to go out!!! :lol:

Cinefan
24th February 2005, 04:27 PM
Talking of the" aim" of children,they are so goal oriented that we adults will be put to shame.They never leave a thing till they are successfull.It's sad that these qualities fade so badly as they grow up that we give them sermons on concentration&why it's so important to have a goal in life :)

jaiganes
24th February 2005, 08:46 PM
Cinefan wrote:

Talking of the" aim" of children,they are so goal oriented that we adults will be put to shame
Of course, do you see the series of documentaries in Discovery channel? There is one series which details the development of a group of babies . Amazing how the simple process of walking and identifying 'threats' is so difficult for them. So frustrating as one researcher put it. I dont remember a thing about all these frustrations. I believe it is a good thing that I don't remember it. I used to wonder why a baby is crying all of a sudden without any reason. It is a failed effort and the frustration associated that is the reason. The series is a real eye opener.

scorpio
25th February 2005, 10:54 AM
Good thread unearthed from archives by our 'archaeology expert'....

Didn't read the thread in full as the initial post was tooooooooo long.. now, I think i've missed out something.

With a working mom, me and my sis were brought up totally by my granny. Remember now with nostalgia how she used to run behind us, forgetting her age and protect us from scoldings from my mom when she returns back home to see the house turned upside down!! If there is one relationship in life that is always smooth without fights laced with perfect understanding, it is the one between grandparents and grandchildren. :D

Now, with me employed, my poor granny's run continues after my kids but she never complains.

This brings to an interesting question. Including myself, most of my friends felt greater affection for their grand parents from mother's side rather than father's side. What r yr views and experiences??

jaiganes
25th February 2005, 11:29 AM
scorpio akk awrote:

Including myself, most of my friends felt greater affection for their grand parents from mother's side rather than father's side. What r yr views and experiences??
Now thats a surprise. I thought that father's side will show more possessiveness towards the grandchildren. In mycase though both my grandmothers had to tend to a host of other kids apart from me (joint family u see) . So I always felt like a prarie puppy! cozy and comfortable in company of so many cousin brothers and sisters!!! :lol: All saturday afternoons were reserved for "kootanchoru" granny telling a tale and handing over hand mixed food to dozens of eager hands!! The competition was always for the last 'kavalam' or hand of curd rice with aavakkai pickle and I used to be quite lucky in that regard. I miss my granny now that she is no more! :cry: My mother's mother always had other serious chores to look after, so we didn't disturb her much. But we were made to feel so special by my chithis!! They used to exclaim and treat us(myself and my brother) like MIT graduates even when we had simply managed to survive the exam! :lol: My grand father was usually short tempered but with us we were the dictators of the house!!!

Cinefan
25th February 2005, 11:29 AM
This brings to an interesting question. Including myself, most of my friends felt greater affection for their grand parents from mother's side rather than father's side. What r yr views and experiences??

It's the same with me,I am/was more closer to the grand-father/mother from my mom's side than my dad's.I gave it a lot of thought after your post but still can't say why it happened like that. :? But with my son,it's different as he has become the 'darling' of my parents.In fact can't believe my eyes when I see my mother showering so much affection/love/attention on him.I don't remember her doing so much for me :(

jaiganes
25th February 2005, 11:39 AM
Maybe your kid is better than you when you were a kid :lol:
You must have been one terrible dictator!!

Cinefan
25th February 2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe your kid is better than you when you were a kid :lol:
You must have been one terrible dictator!!

Ille pa,that's what makes the whole affair more intriguing.She keeps comparing him with me&tells I was very quite/calm/soft/untroublesome(ippadi oru word irukka?).In fact I should have been a dictator,then I wouldn't have seen this day where I have to use 'sad'icons.

jaiganes
25th February 2005, 12:02 PM
wow! your mother seems to be a revolutionary grandmother!!
'puratchi' paatti.!
Maybe you were soft and silent, but always upto something when nobody was looking???!!! :roll: :lol: :wink:

Cinefan
25th February 2005, 04:47 PM
Maybe you were soft and silent, but always upto something when nobody was looking???!!! :roll: :lol: :wink:

Naan oru 'Chuppa Rustam'nnu solreenga.irukkalam ,yenna my wife also feels the same. :wink: