PDA

View Full Version : Do You Feel That ARR Saves His Best For Hindi?

thiru_iyer
24th October 2007, 01:08 PM
For a while now, I have felt that ARR is shafting the Tamil Film Industry and saving his best works for the Hindi Film Industry. Guru was just tremendous, far better than ATM :(. I'll admit that the Hindi Film Industry is bigger, and I'm no Anti-Hindi person or anything, it's just a sad observation that really dissapoints me :(. What do you guys think? Has ARR forgotten the thaaymozhi that made him a star in the first place and moved on to Hindi/Urdu?

lancelot
24th October 2007, 01:58 PM
i doubt thats the case...though i agree with u that his best work in the recent past has been on hindi movies, Eg: RDB, Guru...

i think its the simple fact that the Hindi directors ARR works with are more talented and are able to drain out ARRs best.

but if you take the tamil directors who he works with... exception Shanker... i doube they hav the talent to bring out the best of ARR...

just my thoughts...

hehe
:D

thiru_iyer
24th October 2007, 10:29 PM
I do agree with that... I guess he needs to work more with Shankar and Mani Ratnam (in Tamil movies) more then... because if I think ARR recently, I think RDB and Guru... they were filled with such fun and classy music... I don't even listen to Hindi much, but damn, RDB and Guru are so amazing that it makes no difference... I don't think that Tamil directors are untalented per se but I guess I do see what you mean...

btw, is Mani Ratnam still going to do Tamil movies? wasn't he saying he's through with Tamil movies?

rsubras
24th October 2007, 11:39 PM
ithellam too much.....

just listen to Jillunu oru Kaadhal and Varalaru BGM... It is awesome....and chanceless stuff.....

Guru padathai mani tamil la eduthiruntha Rahman's music wud have been far far better imho... Mani wud have felt more comfortable in explaining those situations and getting what he wants

It is only that in Hindi music, Rahman puts more efforts, coz the variety of ppl listening to hindi music is more......and to cater to all those ppl's tastes, the effort has to be much more than he needs to put for Tamil films.... and we all know Rahman loves challenges and he gives out his best when he is challenged....

It's been a long time since rahman has scored for a routine masala movie in hindi.... one two ka 4 is the last...am i rite???

thiru_iyer
24th October 2007, 11:46 PM
adhu sathyam... but then our directors need to find a way to give ARR the challenges and situations to shine -- to give us his best efforts...

btw, question still remains, is mani ratnam still going to do tamil movies?

sehnthan
25th October 2007, 02:41 AM
plz stop blaming the directors....90's director enna vanatulla irunthu vanthangala ? to extract good songs frm ARR in that period ? if ARR fails in HIndi currently we can say his time is over...but that is not the case...let us see what will happen for HINDI GHAJINI...namma tamil director thaney ? i can bet my last penny....HINDI GHAJINI will be a blockbuster hit...in terms of musically and commercially

thiru_iyer
25th October 2007, 03:42 AM
Then why can't he do it for Tamil Cinema? Does he not have the incentive / desire to do so because of a smaller market? I don't think that is a valid reason -- I mean, firstly, movies like Sivaji show that Tamil Cinemas are extremely lucrative and successful. Secondly, when it comes to international attention, international people neither understand Hindi or Tamil, so it makes no major difference in international success, Kannathil Muthamittal and Sivaji were major international success stories. So what is it? Clearly the directing in some of the movies he made music for in the '90s sucked, and so did the actors. Does he not have paasum for his thaaymozhi? He should work to ensure that the Tamil Film Industry is recognized internationally as distinct from Bollywood, and that it produces quality soundtracks and BGMs that rival Bollywood and Hollywood cinemas.

thiru_iyer
25th October 2007, 03:50 AM
I'm just pissed off that A.R. Rahman still has the magic to make classy, beautiful, awe inspiring songs like "Lukka Chuppi" (from Rang De Basanti) and "Tere Bin" (from Guru), yet Azhagiya Thamizh Magan is filled with remixes, white-washed stuff like "Nee Marilyn Monroe"... enakku athanai westernized paatu vaeNam anaal, naan english paate kaepaen, english people can make that better than ARR... The only song that was beautiful was Valayapatti. Madhuraikku Pogathadee and Ellaapugazhum have such a "heard before" feeling. Seriously, to me, the only song that even remotely compares in TFM from ARR to the stuff he's made for the Hindi Film Industry is maybe the Sahara Pookal... the slower remix especially.

I think that ARR has the power single handedly to shape the TFM, and he has definitely done so, but he has the power to do it more profoundly.

Dragun
25th October 2007, 04:28 AM
You can't really compare RDB to a Vijay film. RDB was a very different film in the first place and used music innovatively. ATM is a Vijay mass-masala, so it has different needs. Likewise in Tamil he mostly gets masala films and not films like Lagaan, Bose The Forgotten Hero, etc. I think

I am interested to see how the Ghajini remake will turn out. It has been a long time since ARR did a masala kind of film in Hindi.

thiru_iyer
25th October 2007, 04:42 AM
Then it is the fault of Directors of Tamil movies for not creating unique movies such as Kannathil Muthamittal more often in the Tamil Film Industry...?

mahen01
25th October 2007, 07:41 AM
well Rangeela, Dil se and Tall are masala movies. Didnt Rahuman gave his best for those movies? Whether its masala or not Rahuman gave his best to TFM before he got famous in HFM... after that he is putting more efforts to HFM than TFM. Only releif for TFM is Rahuman sing atleast one full song for TFM. HFM he sing along with other singers.

ARR has to put more effort to TFM and comeup with more songs like Newyork nagaram. Now no offence.. in that case I like Harris for reserving his best for TFM than his Thelungu kanada malayalam projects. I would say GVP's Pollathavan is a better album than ATM (although GVP copys arr songs). ATM is a good album but not a classy album.

Querida
25th October 2007, 07:46 AM
IMO ARR is one the MD in which when the song is translated into thamil it still sounds smooth and just as much of a hit...though Illayaraja has succeeded in doing the same....i feel sometimes the cross-over totally kills the songs.....

Following are all according to my taste, you are free to disagree, debate or delightedly agree...i would suggest the latter :P

sucessful crossovers: Dil Se, Taal, Swades, Guru, Bombay, Yuva
Sadma (Moondram Pirai in Thamil),

unsucessful crossovers: Dhoom 2, Mumbai Express, Jeans ( in hindi, especially Anbae Anbae song as Tauba Tauba was sooo annoying), Kadhalar Dhinam, Saathiya (the totally delightful Alaipayuthey in Thamil) Mudhalvan, Cheeni Kum (though it sounds soothingly familiar...the lyrics really lost the yearning feelings that the thamil version had)

lancelot
25th October 2007, 10:47 AM
i dont think its in any1s interest to condemn any tamil directors.. there are a few very good ones...

but i think they lack the talent Rakesh, Ashuthosh or Mani have to extract the best out of ARR....

an its not like he is not doing good in tamil... all the recent tamil albums have been mega hits... may b even better than any other music directors came out with...

we should also take in to considaration the kind of movies he is involved in Hindi and Tamil... am sure all of ul will agree that the hindi movies hes worked in the resent past have been way more superior to the tamil movies... so the music required for them also differ...

and about Ghajini in Hindi... that director is a very talented guy.. lets see wat he can pull out of our boss

hehe
:D

littlemaster1982
25th October 2007, 09:05 PM
we should also take in to considaration the kind of movies he is involved in Hindi and Tamil... am sure all of ul will agree that the hindi movies hes worked in the resent past have been way more superior to the tamil movies... so the music required for them also differ...

:exactly:

Dragun
25th October 2007, 11:57 PM
well Rangeela, Dil se and Tall are masala movies. Didnt Rahuman gave his best for those movies? Whether its masala or not Rahuman gave his best to TFM before he got famous in HFM... after that he is putting more efforts to HFM than TFM. Only releif for TFM is Rahuman sing atleast one full song for TFM. HFM he sing along with other singers.

Rangeela was by RGV, who does have an interesting touch to his films, or at least had the touch in the 90s. With Vijay there is a pretty specific formula that is somewhat limiting. His situations won't be interesting as those in an RGV film. Dil Se was not a masala film. Masala films have everything, like romance, songs, fights, comedy, etc. Taal was based on music, and Subhash Ghai is well-known for getting good music from his music directors.

ATM is a good album but not a classy album.

ATM is a good album. You said it yourself. Not every album can be a Dil Se. The songs are perfectly suitable to the kind of film it is.

thilak4life
26th October 2007, 12:34 AM
I'm perfectly fine with ARR's formula, doing his kind of music in different paradigms, more 'mass' in Tamil and eventually, more 'fun' with his music defining the contemporary pop culture :)

[P.S: I would love to see ARR working with talented Tamil directors other than Mani sir]

thineshan54321
26th October 2007, 09:02 AM
one reason: no high budget class movies in tamil. kanathil muthamitaal, alai payuthey = high budget classy and therefore ARR's classy music

both RDB and Guru = high budget classy movies.
hope u understand. ARR just needs a canvas to paint, recent times no chance. u might remember that ARR wanted sahana in sivaji (as per shankar and arr's interview - that shankar thot it will dampen pace of movie but ARR was very forceful in putting it in)because he knew that sivaji's reach will be massive and so wanted to have classy songs. if directors and actors dont want a slow song like sahana, ARR cant force them to have one. in case of sivaji he did because he knew it will reach international level and so it shouldnt be known just for mass songs. thats the simpyl reason. just wait for it. we will get one definitely soon. nevertheless ATM is a mindblower of an album. enjoy it for the songs it has, dont wish for class when its mass and dont wish for mass when its class. u guys might remember there was a time when ARR was doing really dumb (non mass) movies and we were like why isnt it reaching the audience. Just enjyow hat u got.

rsubras
26th October 2007, 12:01 PM
ARR classy ah thaan paatu pottaru Kangalal Kaidhu Sei, Kaadhal Virus padathukku lam... bcoz BharathiRaja is one director who can give challenging situations to ARR and gets the best out of him..and Kadhir as we all know is an artistic director who gets the artistic best out of ARR... so intha maathiri HFM popular aanavudane he is ditching TFM nu solrathellam too much.....

there were so many noises during Jillunu oru Kaadhal release... some ppl including our very own dinesh complained that ARR is trying so many experiments for a TFM and he needs to understand..that ppl here expects simple tune like how HJ gives..some one closer to ARR shud tell him that he needs to keep the tune simple and first give some 3 hit songs and then experiment may be probably for one song in an album and not experiment for entire album...

Class ah pottalum complain panreenga.. Mass ah pottalum complain panreenga.. ithe ARR oru 2 years kalichu vijay kooda bakery nu oru padathukku music potta appavum ppl will tell, we expect songs like Ella pugazhum and not such complex rythm pattern nu :D

Sorry, no offence to anyone :D