PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the Week: Aug 2006 - Sep 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

RC
6th February 2007, 09:04 AM
azhagE vaa kEkkum pOdhu kaalam ponnaanadhu paatu gnabagathukku varudhu..

en kaadhali arumayaana paadal... neeNda naatkaLukku pin kEttalum tune manadhil appadiyE irukku... indha paatu kEkkum pOdhu naaLai namadhE paatu gnabagam varudhu..

SN23
6th February 2007, 11:04 AM
Ramki: Can't resist repeat listen of En kadhali. Somehow I feel, KJY could not show that thuLLal in his rendition, as SPB steals (even overshadows KJY) the song.

BTW, SK with Jayachitra and Kamal with Sripriya. Jayasudha did not act in this movie.

tvsankar
7th February 2007, 08:13 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the nice song.. :)

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

gingerbeehk
8th February 2007, 06:56 AM
Ramki,

Thanks for post such unforgatable and nice song. I think SG done wonderful job in this song.

Jack

Ramki
8th February 2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone.

SN23 thanks for the correction. KJY tamizh ucharippum konjam nerudhalthaan indha paatile

Ramki
8th February 2007, 08:02 AM
Pick #459

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/naanoru_nn.rm

Song: naanoru medai paadagan
Movie: naaLai namadhe
Singers : TMSoundararajan, LREswari, SPBalasubramaniam
Lyrics: vaali
MD: MSViswanathan
Year : 1975

Remaking a magnum opus like yaadon ki baaraat is not an easy task. The film had a novel storyline(first of the seperated family reuniting by song genre) and had superhit songs.
Creating songs for the remake without an iota of resemblence to the original should have been a difficult task. But MSV did it with his own style and fashion.
Allmost all the songs were good in the remake. Todays song and 'en idaiyilum' song were the least popular among the 6 .
The original had Dharmendra, Late Vijay arora(passed away this 2nd Feb), Tariq, Zeenat etc. Since MGR *ed in the remake he chose to act in both the characters of Dharam and Vijay.Chandramohan(odd choice) played Tariq's role. Latha did Zeenat's.
Was sripriya in the cast too?

SN23
8th February 2007, 12:41 PM
Ramki: you know...YKB had Aamir khan in the cast as the third son (iLavayadhu Taariq). Cast also included Neetu Singh as jodi for Taariq. One Anamika acted as pair for Dharmendra.

Do you know who acted in Tamil version in place of Neetu? Anamika's role was played by V.Nirmala (in black costumes) pairing periya wig MGR :)

This song is spoiled due to LRE's overplaying. Should have been given to some other singer.

The best of the lot always goes to Neela nayanangaLil :)

balaji
8th February 2007, 06:01 PM
[tscii:07d084081d]Senior hubber Murali Srinvas on NN from an old post:

"Naalai Namadhe: As you know it was a remake of the evergreen hit Yaadon Ki Baarat. YKB was making waves all over TN in 1973-74. Sethu Madhavan of Malayalam film world (A great director who had done some excellent films in Mal. Also directed some Tamil films, the last of which was Nammavar) got the remake rights and approached MGR. The initial plan was MGR will do Dharmendra’s role, Sivakumar will do Vijay Arora’s role & Kamal for Tariq’s role. But MGR again as his wont did not accept and he dictated his own terms and made it happen. Since the eldest did not have Jodi and songs, he took the second son’s role also and brought Chandramohan (Sankarabharanam fame- though it was released much later 1979) for Tariq’s role. This clearly affected the movie and moreover when it was released on 4th July 1975, YKB was still fresh in the minds of the people and if you remember NN had no such elements that would satisfy a MGR fan. The supposedly long run of MGR’s films in normal circumstances can be contributed to another factor. The Gap between two MGR films will be big and for hard-core MGR fans who used to repeatedly view the movie, they had no other go and this helped the movies to run for more days. Compared to this NT’s movies always had a short gap between them. In the case of NN, the MGR fans had nothing to cheer about and moreover on 22nd August 1975 (just after of 49 days of NN’s release), Idhyakani was released and so MGR fans dropped NN and it bit the dust at the BO. After it’ release (it was not announced before) the ad came out stating that NN is MGR’s 125th movie, but it did not help. "

Kamal in Tariq's role would have been a WOW! Ofcourse knowing MGR, he would have not have allowed that. Sivakumar in VA's role is as bad/or even worse as MGR in that role.
(Sivakumar after acting in zillion movies with the same expressions, Zero acting and same voice modulations finally got salvation in Marupadiyum or something with Sedhu Madhavan as the director)

"Ennai Vittal" in NN to me is the best song...

Bala

[/tscii:07d084081d]

gingerbeehk
9th February 2007, 07:36 AM
Ramki,

Thanks for Another gem...Naanoru Medai paadagan. Ippo enna iruvar specialaa....kalakkunga thalaivaa. Letme list down few more iruvar songs.

1. Nanbhaney..Enathu Uyir...........Sattam......S.P.B & M.V.
2. Naanoru Koyil Neeyoru.............Nellikkani.......S.P.B & M.V
3. Maama Maama .......................Thaai Veedu......S.P.B, K.J.Y & S.J
4. Maami Sivakaami.....................Ilanjodigal......... .S.P.B & M.V
5. Ennamma Kannu..................Mr.Bharath...........S.P.B & M.V
6. Pattukottai Ammalu.............Ranga.................S.P.B & M.V.
7. Enakkoru Kaathali............Muthana Mutthalavo......S.P.B & M.S.V

Thanks,
Jack

MP
9th February 2007, 07:18 PM
few more iruvar songs.
8. paadinaal oru paatu paal nilavinil netru(MGR, muthuraman)
9. ramu i love you raja...(Sivaji,gemini)
10. kavalaigal kidakkatum maranthuvidu(same pair)
11. pon onru kandean pen angu illai(sivaji and balaji)
12. paradi kanne konjam paithiyamanathu nenjam(manohar.....)

MP

Ramki
13th February 2007, 07:28 AM
SN23 yes Aamire also acted in couple other films as a kid.
I didnt know VN was part of NN.

Bala, thanks for the post. Lots of info.

Jack and MP thanks for the list. Your listing gave me a idea for this week.

Ramki
13th February 2007, 07:40 AM
Pick #460

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/chinna_ck.rm

Song: chinna chinna poongodi
Movie: chinna kaNNamma
Singers : SJanaki, Minmini
Lyrics: vaali
MD: iLaiyaraja
Year : 1993

Chinna kaNNamma was a faithful remake of KB's 'kaNNa nalama' The remake had some good performance by shamili, karthik, suhasini and Nasser. While the original focussed on the sufferings of a mother, the remake dealt more with the father-daughter relationship.
2 mothers suhasini, gowthami(guest) deliver baby girls in the same hospital. Due to a fire mishap in the hospital the nurse accidentally switches the girls. Gowthami, married to karthik, dies shortly.
Few years later suhasinis daughter dies int he same hospital she was born . The nurse who switched the babies comes out with the truth. Suhasini-Nasser pair legally claims karthiks daughter(shamili).How the father daughter reunite forms the rest of the story.
'en vaazhkaiyin artham solla' from CK is one of my favorite songs of Mano .
Todays song is for suhu(SJ) and shamili(Minmini). Its a short piece with some good piano music.

This week i plan to showcase duets by female singers from different generations.

jn
14th February 2007, 01:38 AM
Ramki: Nice movie and nice song.
Looking forward to the other duets. :)

balaji
14th February 2007, 07:37 AM
Nice song Ramki

Bala

Ramki
15th February 2007, 07:00 AM
Thks JN and Bala

Ramki
15th February 2007, 07:18 AM
Pick #461

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/kaalai_pp.rm

Song: kaalai varum suriyano
Movie: pathini peN
Singers : Vani Jairam, Swarnalatha
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
Year : 1993

This RCSakthi directed film deserved more audience and more days in the cinema hall compared to the disappearing act it did when it was released.
Based on a novel by Thilagavathy IPS, the film had good performance by Janakaraj, chitra and Rupini(a big surprise).
Another admirable aspect of the film was MSV's music. The film had around 6 songs sung by SPB, VJ and SL.
'ulagengum nam veedu' is a fantastic solo by VJ.
SPB sang 2 good songs for Janakaraj.
But you might have not listened to them at all. The songs never found air time and was overshadowed with the popular numbers by IR, ARR, Deva etc.
Thanks to NeelD for sending this song.
This is the first Swarnalatha song I'm hosting in POW.

rajeshkrv
15th February 2007, 11:07 AM
pathini pen got best film state award
and best actress for roobini

vel1970
15th February 2007, 09:19 PM
Ramki: i am not able listen both femaleduets. any problem with server or links? I am eager to listen to VJ SL duet.
Rajeshkrv: are you able to listen?

jn
16th February 2007, 01:04 AM
vel: The link for pick# 460 works fine but I am not able to listen to #461.
Ramki: can you pls fix the link? Also, pls change the name of the song in the main page. Thanks. :)

tvsankar
16th February 2007, 10:34 AM
Dear Ramki,
Ennal 2 padalgalai ketka mudiyavilai.

1. Naan oru medai padagan

2. Kalai varum suriyano

Matra tfm padalgal work aradhu.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ramki
17th February 2007, 04:01 AM
Sorry for the delay. ippo ellaa songsum kekkalaam.

From Mars
18th February 2007, 07:22 PM
Pathini peN ila Janakaraj, thanaku thaanE thaalaatu paadura maadhiri oru scene, athu thaan romba nalla paatu andha padathilE

vel1970
18th February 2007, 09:59 PM
ramki, thanks for correcting the link. I feel except for the rare pair, it is an ordinary song (in terms of tune). VJ's voice is very much shrilling. May be too high pitched. SL's singing reminds Jikki's style.

Anyway thanks for sharing a very rare number.

Ramki
21st February 2007, 06:54 AM
Pick #462

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/azhagiya_up.rm

Song: azhagiya malargaLin
Movie: ullasa paravaigaL
Singer : SJanaki
Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam
MD: iLaiayraja
Year : 1980

This song had escaped my memory for so long that last week when i listened to it i had to surf my memory to figure out which film the song is from. A good song overshadowed by other good songs in UP. I dont remember the picturisation. Was it even picturised?
UP, IMO was a boring film. The flashback scenes were the most interesting portion of the film and Ofcourse songs. 'Deiveega raagam' is one of the best melodies in history of TFM.

madhu
21st February 2007, 07:48 AM
Hi Ramki..

"azhagiya malargalin" is picturised on the procession of chariots with "malar alangaaram".. I think somewhere in Germany.

Of course, this song and "naan undhan thaayaga vendum" have been shadowed by "germaniyin", "deiveega raagam" and "azhagu aayiram" songs.

But.. :thumbsup:

jn
22nd February 2007, 12:58 AM
Nice song ramki.
I like all songs from UP. only rank matters. :)

Ramki
26th February 2007, 04:29 AM
Pick #463

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/kaalgal_pvm.rm

Song: kaalgal nindrathu
Movie: poojaikku vandha malar
Singers : LREswari, ALRaghavan
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Year : 1965

LRE almost does a PS in this song. You hardly notice the difference until the song hits some high notes. ALR is a perfect foil for LRE.

I know PVM had Gemini and Savithri, but im not sure if the pick is picturised on this pair. It could be for Nagesh and ?.
'kaN maiyenthum vizhiyaada' is an excellent duet by PBS and PS from the same film. I remember watching bits and pieces of the film but it was not interesting enough to sit though the 2.5 hrs

rajeshkrv
26th February 2007, 06:38 AM
this was picturised on Manimala and Muthurman

they had another popular number venpalingu medai katti (SG & LRE)

Nagesh as the absent minded LIC agent is a treat to watch

PVM was directed by Mukta srinivasan with screenplay and dialogues by K.balachander

unnai oor kondu azhaikka by PS is another gr8 solo

rajeshkrv
26th February 2007, 06:39 AM
lyrics for this and venpalingu were by alangudi somu i guess

vramesh
28th February 2007, 09:35 PM
hi guys do you have any information on the composer for this movie http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4956/

The songs are melodious and nice to hear

Ramki
1st March 2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks a lot for the info Rajeshkrv

Ramki
1st March 2007, 07:42 AM
Pick #464

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/oru_ep.rm

Song: oru marathil kudiyirukkum
Movie: enga pappa
Singers :MSRajeswari, TMSoundararajan
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
MD: MSViswanathan (or TKR?)
Year : 1966

Song requested by SN23. Though i prefer the more popular PS Solo version, the pathos version is the rare one.
The film had Ravichandran and Bharathi. 'Pudhu veedu vandha neram' is a popular duet from EP.

balaji
1st March 2007, 08:00 AM
Good Song Ramki!

I am more familiar with this version more than the PS version. (may be Oliyum Oliyum used to play this version)

TKR gave reasonably nice melodies like this one, surprisingly fails miserably in interludes. Though he used to be MSV's main orchestrator (Is that a right word?)

Bala

balaji
1st March 2007, 08:01 AM
Good Song Ramki!

I am more familiar with this version more than the PS version. (may be Oliyum Oliyum used to play this version)

TKR gave reasonably nice melodies like this one, surprisingly fails miserably in interludes. Though he used to be MSV's main orchestrator (Is that a right word?)

Bala

Neel D
2nd March 2007, 01:59 AM
I don't believe I have listened to this song before. Little too sad but still good. No one can beat TMS's sweet voice and clarity. MSR, for a change, sings like an adult which is nice. Thanks Ramki.

Ramki
2nd March 2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks Bala and NeelD.

Ramki
2nd March 2007, 07:41 AM
Pick #465

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/dingiri_ae.rm

Song: dingiri dingale
Movie: anbu enge
Singer : TMSoundararajan
Lyrics: ?
MD: Veda
Year : 1958

50 varudam mun vandhaalum , endha kaalathirkkum aetra pattidhu.
The song comments about horse race, discotheque, war etc.
kalachaaram kettu poikkondirukudhendra bayam ellaaa kaalathileyum irukkira common unarvu pol :)

Srilankan Baila song paaniyil amaindhirikka paadal. Vedavin innoru suruttalo endru theriyavillai.

Indian cinema database says the film had Sivaji, Pandaribhai and SSR. Yoganand was the director.

'poovil vaNdu bodhai koNdu'(AMR,JR) is my favorite duet from this film.

SN23
2nd March 2007, 02:40 PM
Ramki: sorry for the delay in my response. Feel bad that I am very irregualr these days. Many thanks for remembering my request. Pul-arichu-pOchu :-)

I nevr knew these kind of details of enga pAppA. I thought heroine is Kalpana. Guess she acted with Ravichandran in one movie, if I remember correct.

Incidently happened to listen to P.Suseela's version of oru marathil, only from nAdhi illai endru unnai oor sollalAmA. Her gamakams are different from TMS, who stretches in a straight line. I heard MS rajeswari's voice after a long time, though she sang in bit matured voice. Very sweet composition by TKR. Great Going.

Diguru dingale, was there a version by Chandrababu? Please check Ramki with your info-bank :-)

jn
3rd March 2007, 01:18 AM
Ramki: indha version of oru maraththil kEttadhe ille.
thanks. PS version munne nee host paNNina madhiri jnaabagam.
dingiri dingaale song ippa vara dubbankuththu songs ai vida evLo nalla irukku. :) old is gold thaan eppayum. :)

Neel D
3rd March 2007, 08:58 PM
The never-ending complaint about the westernization of India. Parts of the lyrics are very funny. For example,

kaNdavangga maNdai ellAm
thALaththOda Aduthu
kAl kai udambai ellAm
thUkki thUkki pOduthu

With his sweet voice and enormous popularity, if it was the west, TMS would have been chased everywhere by screaming teenage girls.

balaji
5th March 2007, 07:13 AM
neel D

I am sure TMS did have that experience being chased by young women in the indian context..

TMS marrying a 22 yr old in his late fifties could be a good indication of how he did impress girls/women!

Bala

sss
5th March 2007, 07:25 AM
Hi,

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/dingiri_ae.rm

The above link is not working for me, could u please check. Thanks.

SSS

Ramki
7th March 2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone.

SN23 im not sure i have listened to CB's version of 'dingiri dingale'

sss the link works fine for me. Did you try copy and paste in RP?

Ramki
7th March 2007, 07:33 AM
Pick #466

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/siricha_j.rm

Song: siricha kolli malai kuyilu
Movie: Jyothi
Singers: SPB, SPShailaja
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
MD: iLaiyaraja
Year : 1983

Song requested by Naaz. He writes:

A feeble flame, more wick than light, and put out by audiences everywhere faster than you could say Manivannan. Ambika, Mohan, Vinu Chakravarthi...you know how far it could go as cinema already.
But the song is a jewel. Bright and dazzling, and generous in its riches.
Double the loot if you haven't seen the film.

Neel D
7th March 2007, 07:31 PM
Lovely song. Took me back to the time of simple rural melodies of the 80s. Shailaja managed to poke a hole or two in my ears but still a very nice song. SPB good as always. Thanks Ramki and Naaz.

Naaz
8th March 2007, 06:15 AM
Ramki -

Thanks for featuring this duet! It is among my all-time favourites of SPB. Paattu 1983-le Vandhaalum, IRs magic is fresh and intact to this day! I think this song was the only bright spot in an otherwise dim, dull film.

Neel D. you're welcome.

madhu
11th March 2007, 04:23 PM
Ramki

good one.. marandhe pochu indha song.. ninaivu paduthiyadhukku thanks.. :P

BTW.. is it SPS ? yaaro kerala singer appadinnu padicha ninaivu.
konjam kandu pudichu sollungalen !

vel1970
11th March 2007, 11:35 PM
Ramki.. siricha kolli malai kuyilu is a fantastic song.. Its definitely not Sailaja. Some one called Kasthoori?

madhu
12th March 2007, 05:40 AM
Ramki !

I heard its a singer called "chaya" ( Tea-yA , nizhalA- nnu kekka koodadhu :lol: ). edhukkum check senjukunga !

vel1970
12th March 2007, 10:16 PM
Madhu, I think you are correct. It is Chaaya. She is telugu speaking lady, if I remember correct.

vel1970
12th March 2007, 10:16 PM
Madhu, I think you are correct. It is Chaaya. She is telugu speaking lady, if I remember correct.

vel1970
12th March 2007, 10:17 PM

Ramki
13th March 2007, 06:40 AM
Vel/Madhu,
I too remember the song was sung by a new singer. But when i listened to the version sent by Naaz it sounded very much like SPS. Could there be 2 versions?

Ramki
14th March 2007, 05:16 AM
Pick #467

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/nilavu_c.rm

Song: nilavu vandhu neerada
Movie: Chiranjeevi
Singers: SJanaki, Rajkumar Bharathi
Lyrics: Muthulingam
Year : 1984

At the time of its release Chiranjeevi's director Shankar boasted that it is the first Indian film to be shot entirely on a ship. Well that was the only novel aspect of this film. Sivaji, sowkar, Saritha, sarathbabu, srirpirya , all these 'S' es failed to make the audience go 'YES'. They swiftly rejected the film and the film sunk like a titanic.

I believe todays song is picturised on Sripriya and Sarath.

'anbenum oliyaaga' was already featured in POW.

Thanks to NeelD for sending this song.

Meerakrishna
14th March 2007, 06:24 AM
Wow, very nice song, thanks Ramki and NeelD. I was not knowing till today that SJ has sung for Sripriya, I was under the impression that VJ has only given voice for Sripriya. Thank U so much for this beautiful song.

Ramki, Long back I heard one Tamil song of SJ, duet with Ramesh(not sure), the song goes like this 'oru nAlil malarndEne dEvane' something like that. If you have that can you please post it here. Thanks in Advance.

Neel D
14th March 2007, 10:56 PM
You are welcome Ramki and Meerakrishna. "nilavu vanthu nIrAda", though composed like many other sexy romance songs, the combination of the singers makes the song unique.

With the spring flowers blooming overnight, "oru nALil malarnthEnE" will be a perfect song for the season.

I think PS has also sung for Sripriya in Aattukkara Alamelu and Annai Or Alayam.

madhu
15th March 2007, 09:48 AM
Hi meera

SJ is the first singer who sung "muruga vadivela unai ariven deiva bala " for Sripriya in her first film "murugan kAttiya vazhi"

Meerakrishna
15th March 2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the information Madhu.

regards
Meera

Ramki
19th March 2007, 02:58 AM
Meera and NeelD,
Unfortunately i couldnt find the 'oru naaLil' song in my collection :(

Meera, SJ has sung many songs for sripriya. My favorite is 'vazhkkai odam sella' from avaL appadithaan

Ramki
19th March 2007, 03:19 AM
Pick #468

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/kaatru_t.rm

Song: kaatru nadanthathu mella mella
Movie: thunai
Singers: Jayachandran, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
MD: Shankar Ganesh
Year : 1982

Kaatrin menmaiyudan thavazhndhu varum paadal. Jayachandrarum vaaniyarum ovvoru varthaiyum abinayam pidithu anubavithu paadiyripathu miga azhagu.
Thunai had Sivaji doing a role that well suited his age and experience. He was given ample support by artistes like Saritha, sukumari etc. Radha did a slightly negative role. Suresh was as asusual :).
Thunai's other songs were not memory worthy.

Naaz
19th March 2007, 10:41 AM
Ramki -

A long forgotten duet shows up at POTW. The marvel of this thread!
I have not seen Thunai. Was it before or after Keezhvaanam Sivakkum?

Since you mentioned your favourite SJ solo for Sri Priya, let me add mine to the list:
Vaigai Karaiyil Oru Paravai from Natchaththiram. Was Kannile from AOTK picturised on Sri Priya? I can't recall. It is another memorable SJ/MSV song.

Neel D
19th March 2007, 06:51 PM
kARRu nadanthathu is a beautiful song. Shankar-Ganesh did come up with several such soothing duets. "mAlaiyil pUththa malligai pUkkaLE", "mazaiyE mazaiyE iLamai muzuthum", "dEvi nIyinRi nAn EthammA",... the list is very long. Thanks for the song Ramki.

Naaz, Thunai is a very good film about regular middle class people. Very believable characters and actors looking their roles. You should watch it of you get a chance.

vramesh
22nd March 2007, 11:33 PM
Is Thunai the movie where Sivaji plays Suresh's father, and Radha is Suresh's wife, they neglect the father in his old age? If we hang around RajTV or Digital Plus, we will get to see it.

SN23
23rd March 2007, 04:12 PM
Ramki :-) Howz life?

Have you hosted the competition song from Konjum salangai Bhramman ThaaLam. Guess the song was sung by Radha Jayalaskhmi and Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi. Fabulous song.

If not yet, can you host? If don't have the song, shall I send it. Huge mp3 file, paravaayillayaa? En yahoo id-yil irundhu anupparen. Unga yahoo Id plz?

Nazir sultan
24th March 2007, 10:21 AM
Dear All Members,

I am regular visitor to Tamil Film Music page. I have been listening songs from TFM for four years. Also enjoying the songs from Dhool.com.

It will be greatful if you post the song,
" Katpanaiyo Kaivanthatho" from Malathi.

It is my first post.

Thanks for all members.

Regards.

Nazir Sultan

baroque
25th March 2007, 09:28 AM
Paattu podara moderator, unga pattu selection romba pudichuyerukku! thanks! :D

RR
27th March 2007, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

Ramki is busy, so we'll have PoW hosted by guest DJ's for a while. Our first guest is Neel D. It'll be his picks during this week. Have fun!

RR
27th March 2007, 09:05 AM
Pick #469
[html:436724e5e0]http://www.rakkamma.com/artists/umaramanan.jpg[/html:436724e5e0]
Song: alai alaiyAi
Movie: Naalai Unathu Naal
Singer: Uma Ramanan
MD: Ilaiyaraja
Year : 1984

Neel writes:

"Naalai Unathu Naal" is a thriller with Vijaykant and Nalini in the
lead. It is one of those movies that comes under the thriller trend
that was started by the runaway success of "Nooravathu Naal". I have
not seen the film but if I remember correclty what I heard at that
time, the story is about a group of people who end up on an island as
castaways following a shipwreck. One by one they get killed
mysteriously and finally Vijaykant probably solves the mystery. Please
correct me if I got the story wrong.

"alai alaiyAi" is a lively composition by Ilaiyaraja. Uma Ramanan is so
young and happy. The innocence in her voice always enhances the
feel of her songs. "lala lala" bits in the charanam are so cute.

"kUdu thEdi alaiyum", "veNNilA Oduthu kaNNilE Aduthu" are also from
"Naalai Unathu Naal".

Listen: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/alai_alaiyai.rm

Nazir sultan
27th March 2007, 01:00 PM
Many songs of Maestro has been unnoticed even during his peak. TFM only brings such a super songs to listen and enjoy.

Expecting more maestro's songs to be posted here.

Regards.

Nazir

gingerbeehk
28th March 2007, 07:06 AM
Dear RR,

Thanks a lot for your first pick an wonderful rare one. Expecting more rare collections. Please try to post more 70's & 80's collections. Pls convey my best regards to The Great Ramki.

Thanks,
Jack

smartsambu
28th March 2007, 11:30 AM
Dear RR,
Sorry this is a query out of context. Why is it that the posted date still shows my joining date.Should I do anything to change it or What?Problem is I dont know the day the topic was initiated.

RR
28th March 2007, 12:22 PM
Pick #470
[html:17b6f438cb]http://www.tfmpage.com/pics/singer/tms.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/kn/7/71/VaniJayaram01.jpg[/html:17b6f438cb]
Song: aRai koduththAl theriyum
Movie: Ilaiya Thalaimurai
Singer: T.M.Sounderarajan, Vani Jairam
MD: M.S.Viswanathan
Year : 1977

Neel writes:
[html:17b6f438cb]http://www.india-today.com/itoday/20010806/pics/obituary.jpg[/html:17b6f438cb]
"Ilaiya Thalaimurai" starred Sivaji Ganesan and Vanisri. The pair acted
together in many films from the late 60s into the early 80s. Though
they did not produce as many hit films as Sivaji-Padmini or
Sivaji-K.R.Vijaya pairs did, Sivaji-Vanisri was one of the leading
couples of the Tamil screen for nearly a decade and a half. The pair
gave us the classics such as Uyarntha Manithan and Vasantha Maligai.

"aRai koduththAl" is one of my favorite TMS-VJ songs. Brilliant work by
MSV, the lyricist and the singers. This is the situation. The woman
apparently said something that made her husband(or lover) very angry.

The male voice firmly begins that he is angry and that he is ready to
slap. The woman very cleverly spins the word aRai (slap) to paLLi aRai
(bedroom) and wishes that it was an aRai (slap) in the paLLi aRai
(bedroom). Oh boy, they could have crossed the line of decency right
there... but they don't. Feel the contrast - anger vs seduction - in
the voices, in the lyrics and in the score all at the same time. The
man goes on to explain his anger over the woman (because she asked him
a question that infuriated him), and then the woman appeasingly
explains why she said what she said. Then comes the understanding part
where the man begins to cool down. The woman then caresses him with her
humming and in the end the man surrenders. The composition and the
lyrics very quickly go through the changes in moods and the singers
give a fantastic performance keeping with the change. So much drama in
a span of 4 minutes and 10 seconds. And the instrumentation is simply
amazing. If anyone has seen this film please tell us what was that
Vanisri said to Sivaji that started this whole drama.

Listen: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/arai_koduththal.rm

RR
28th March 2007, 12:27 PM
Jack,

Thanks, but the credits go to Neel. BTW, It's a 70's pick today. Hope you enjoy.

smartsambu,
I'm not sure which date you are referring to, because the posted date is fine for me. Pls pm me with details.

selvakumar
28th March 2007, 12:38 PM
RR,
Could you please ZIP the files and upload them in the TFMPAGE ? coz most of the file downloads of this type are restricted by many proxies. Just a request :)

thumburu
28th March 2007, 03:52 PM
Listening to the bass lines and chords of an obscure IR number like "alai aliyai vandha asaigaLe", it is no wonder why we call him Guitar God
:D :D . Neel thanks a lot for your wonderful pick

Neel D
28th March 2007, 11:28 PM
Nazir/Jack/thumburu,

Glad you are enjoying the songs. You are welcome.

baroque
29th March 2007, 12:02 AM
OH! RR!! this 'alai...' song. I am blown away with happiness, very grateful to you guys..

gingerbeehk
29th March 2007, 07:24 AM
Dear RR / Neel D,

Another great rare piece of 70's, ILAIYA THALAIMURAI song. You guys are dedicated for such wonderful collections. Excellent job... Keep it up friends. God bless.

With millions of thanks,

Jack

RR
29th March 2007, 12:27 PM
Pick #471

[html:28f27dd4a2]http://www.chennaibest.com/discoverchennai/personalities/Img/manorama.JPG[/html:28f27dd4a2]
Song: manjakkayiRu
Film: Unakkum Vaazhvu Varum
Singer: Manorama
Lyricist: ?
MD: Shankar-Ganesh
Year: 1978

Neel writes:

Manorama is a true entertainer. She is a theater artiste, film actress,
comedienne, character actress and a singer. She entered Tamil films in
1957 with "Maalaiyitta Mangai" and is completing a successful 50 years
this year. She is also a wonderful human being. A person of humility
and compassion. One has to just read a few interviews of Manorama and
those are the two qualities that will stand out.

The number of songs performed by comedy actors has dwindled to almost
zero between the days of N.S.Krishnan-T.A.Madhuram and now. Chandrbabu
and Manorama sang a few each. Manorama must have sung much less than
100 songs so far. But within those she has given many hits. Since she
was typecast as a comedienne most of her songs were of comedic nature
but she also sang some non-comedic songs like "manjakkayiRu".

"manjakkayiRu" was an immensely popular song at the time it was
released. Some of her other hit songs are "kAnAnkurivikku",
"pUnthamalliyilE", "dillikku rAjAnnAlum", "theriyAthO nOkku", "vA
vAdhyArE vUttANdE".

"Unakkum Vaazhvu Varum" starred Srikant and Sripriya. I remember the
title of the film, the "manjakkayiRu" song and that is about it.

Listen: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/manjakkayiru.rm

gingerbeehk
30th March 2007, 07:02 AM
Hi,
Good to hear "Manjakayiru" song. Infact i was searching this song for quite long time. Thanks for post my long waited song.

Jack

Neel D
30th March 2007, 06:03 PM
You are welcome baroque and Jack.

baroque
30th March 2007, 11:25 PM
Neel D,
I just can't get enough of 'manjakayiru...' by Manorama! what a talented artist. Never get tired of this folklure!

I loved 'arai koduthaal theriyum...', never heard of that song. 'manjakayiru...' recalled, tea kadai - bus stops blast that song.

I always admire you boys at TFM page and DHOOL, you guys are musically savoy!!
love, vinatha.

baroque
30th March 2007, 11:39 PM
musically savvy... not savoy :oops: :)

Neel D
31st March 2007, 07:32 AM
RR,

Thank you so much for having me be the guest DJ this week. I really enjoyed it. I hope all music fans who visit here enjoyed it too.

baroque,

Glad you liked the songs.

Naaz
2nd April 2007, 06:02 AM
Neel D -

Three tonally unique songs, and all interesting picks.

Alai Alaiyaai: A favourite of mine by UR!
Naalai Unadhu Naal was the tamizh remake of the hindi Gumnaam, which in turn was based upon Agatha Christie's novel: "And Then There Were None" (originally saddled with a racist/pejorative title).
The hindi version of Alai Alaiyaai was LM's chirpy "Is Duniya Mein Jeena Ho To Sun Lo Meri Baat..." picturised on Helen (Disco Shanthi or Anuradha in NUN? I don't remember.) I think Gumnaam was mid-60s and NUN was mid-80s? If you listen to LMs version you will see the change - just in the tempo and arrangement. IR adapts and weaves in the campfire clapping and jollity, which was also part of the S-J tune.

Arai Koduththaal Theriyum: I think I have said something about this duet in a VJ thread discussion? High-wire act by VJ / TMS / MSV.

Manjakkayiru: This was an absolute must at the Kalyaana Chathrams! Isn't Manorama in a class of her own? After hearing this song, I have an intense craving to watch Kalyaanaraman just for her and Thengai - about 25 years on...how crazy is that?!! :)

Thanks for featuring these special tunes.

RR
2nd April 2007, 03:13 PM
[html:7f3f33b671]http://www.hinduonnet.com/2005/05/04/images/2005050415040401.jpg[/html:7f3f33b671]
Pick #471

Song: annaiyAga mARavA
Film: Marumagal
Singer: S.Janaki
MD: Chandrabose
Year: 1986

Neel writes:

"annaiyAga mARavA" is a soothing solo by SJ. The song became very
popular and All India Radio (Kovai) played it almost everyday for
several weeks. SJ is heartwarming in her expression of love and care.

Other songs, "nilavE unnai azaiththEn", "gaNapathiyE", and "rAjAvE
unthan rAjjiyaththil" from Marumagal were quite popular too. Marumagal
is one of the best, though modest, albums by Chandrabose.

The film had Revathy, Sivaji Ganesan and Suresh. Sivaji played his age.
Revathy was the marumagal of Sivaji. I saw the film but do not remember
all the details. I do remember that it was a good film.

Listen: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/annaiyaga_marava.rm

Neel D
3rd April 2007, 06:31 AM
Naaz,

You are welcome. Thanks for the background history of Naalai Unathu Naal. aRai koduththAl is a fantastic song. It takes geniuses to make a song like that. I don't remember Kalyanaraman. But I crave for "gammunu keda" from Samsaram Athu Minsaram. Hope you like the songs this week too.

RR
4th April 2007, 09:55 AM
[html:1e4a078ce6]http://www.hinduonnet.com/2006/08/10/images/2006081019190201.jpg[/html:1e4a078ce6]
Pick #472

Song: kAthal sorkkam
Singers: Malaysia Vasudevan, Vani Jairam
Film: Idho Varugiren
MD: Malaysia Vasudevan
Year: 1982

Neel writes:

Malaysia Vasudevan was to a great extent typecast, undeservedly, as a
folk and kuththu singer and ended up singing too many songs everyone
would love not to remember. He still has several good songs to his
credit. Last year I purchased a newly released 2-CD collection of his
best songs and it is a really good collection to have. Today's pick is
not in those CDs.

The haunting solo "kAlam seyyum viLaiyAttu" MV sang in Kunnakkudi
Vaidyanathan's music for the film "Gumastavin Magal" (1974) caught the
attention of many music directors and since that time he became a busy
singer. Ilaiyaraja (and sometimes MSV) gave him many wonderful songs,
which everyone already knows about or can find out easily on the
internet. MV also had a successful career for many years as a villain
and comedian in Tamil films.

I had no idea that MV had composed music too for films. But recently
came across today's pick which he composed and sang with Vani Jairam.
It is a breezy duet in the lines of "sugam sugamE hEy" by the same
singers.

"Idho Varugiren" apparently had Mohan and Sulakshana in the lead,
according to CineSouth.

Listen: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/kathal_sorkkam.rm

gingerbeehk
6th April 2007, 08:22 AM
Nice song fm Idho Varugiren. I have never heard this song. M.Vasudeven music composed few movies. As per my small memory Saamanthipoo, Nee Sirithal Deepavali, is includes. But, i don't remember the name of others.

Jack

ezy0265
6th April 2007, 11:45 AM
gingerbeehk,

Nee Sirithaal Deepavali is by IR. How can anyone else have composed a Gem like "Saayangaala Santhya Raagame". Paadu Paattadutthu and Sindhumani from the same movie are also great songs.

Cheers!

Neel D
6th April 2007, 09:42 PM
Jack,

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember MV composing music for "Samanthipoo".

Naaz
6th April 2007, 10:36 PM
Neel D -

Annaiyaaga Maaravaa, as you say, was quite popular when Marumagal was released. It is an enchanting song (Revathy Sivajiyin Annaiyaaga Maaruvadhu...stretch?) and CB does a nice Ravindra Jain!

Now that Saamandhippoo has been mentioned, I recall a nice duet from that film: "Maalai Vaelai Rathi Maaran Poojai..." SPS-MVD?
Listening to Kaadhal Sorkkam for the first time. Interesting tune, uninteresting interludes.

Talking of rare SJ songs, here is a duet (with PJC) that I'd like to listen to...
"Paavai Idhazh Thaenmaadhulai, Kannangalo Senththaamarai..."
(a later S-G tune that somewhat resembled the above (by the same singers?) was Sandhanap Punnagai Sindhidum Maenagai...ring a bell?)

madhu
6th April 2007, 11:53 PM
Hi Naaz..

I think "mAlai vELai" is SPB, SPS and MD is ofcourse MV :P

Naaz
7th April 2007, 12:36 AM
madhu -

Forgive my memory...that I get 45-50% of the data right is something of a jackpot! :) I am glad that you recall that duet!

Neel D -

Here is a link to the vada naattu (annaiyaana) marumagal

http://www.dishant.com/album/Dulhan-Wahi-Jo-Piya-Man-Bhaaye-(1977).html

Click on Purvaiya Ke Jhonke.

Neel D
7th April 2007, 01:58 AM
Naaz,

I got an email from someone mentioning the Hindi original of "Marumagal". I am amazed at how you all can remember all these details. However, I think I like Tamil Marumagal songs much better.

Naaz
7th April 2007, 06:11 AM
Neel D -

My memory is so hopeless, I have to edit my posts a couple of times!
POTW creates these interesting puzzles for me, a sort of song trace Sudoku, where one detail leads to (semi)total recall, or prompts another needle-in-a-haystack search!

CBs tunes were certainly lively, if simple. RJ, on the other hand, had a certain structure in arrangement from which he seldom deviated. Smooth flutes and orchestral sweeps, but always reminiscent of an earlier tune by him.

madhu -

Is Poonthottam, Poovil Pennin Jaadaigal... a solo by SPS?
Look where Maalai Vaelai brought me!! :lol:

Naaz
7th April 2007, 06:12 AM
Neel D -

My memory is so hopeless, I have to edit my posts a couple of times!
POTW creates these interesting puzzles for me, a sort of song trace Sudoku, where one detail leads to (semi)total recall, or prompts another needle-in-a-haystack search!

CBs tunes were certainly lively, if simple. RJ, on the other hand, had a certain structure in arrangement from which he seldom deviated. Smooth flutes and orchestral sweeps, but always reminiscent of an earlier tune by him.

madhu -

Is Poonthottam, Poovil Pennin Jaadaigal... a solo by SPS?
Look where Maalai Vaelai brought me!! :lol:

RR
11th April 2007, 10:16 PM
Song: nAnO kaN pArththEn
Film: Puthiyavan
Singers: K.J.Yesudas
Lyricist: ?
MD: V.S.Narasimhan
Year: 1984

V.S.Narasimhan made his debut as a music director in "Achamillai
Achamillai". The rustic songs from that film became very popular. But
after that VSN composed mostly modern and westernized tunes. He was a
breath of fresh air in the mid 80s that was dominated by IR and TR.
Following his successful debut, VSN composed music for films such as
"Puthiyavan", "Kalyana Agathigal", "Ayiram Pookkal Malarattum",
"Kadaikkan Paarvai", and a few more not so popular films. His career as
an MD slowed down in the early 90s. VSN is a highly skilled violinist,
both in Indian and Western genres, and is a well respected artiste
still in demand in the music industry.

"nAnO kaN pArththEn" is a simple but lovely composition by
V.S.Narasimhan. He uses various instruments but in a limited manner and
creates a song you can shake your head to, while Yesudas's smooth voice
rubs you like a feather. The lyrics start off well with a nice pallavi
but the charanams are ordinary.

"Puthiyavan" starred Murali and Anita, directed by Ameerjan (or is it
Ameer John?) whom I believe was a product of K.Balachandar school.
Ameerjan directed the big hit "Poo Vilangu" which launched the
successful career of Murali, the eternal college student.

Other popular songs from Puthiyavan are "thEn mazaiyilE dhinam", and
"kaNNE kalar kalarA".

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/nano_kan.rm

rajeshkrv
11th April 2007, 11:45 PM
lyrics were by vairamuthu

gingerbeehk
12th April 2007, 07:07 AM
PUTHIYAVAN song totally puthusu. I have never heard this song, as well i haven heard about such movie. For me, this song is extremly rare piece. Thank you somuch for post such nice song.

Jack

Naaz
12th April 2007, 07:09 PM
Neel D -

An inspired pick! A good and not often heard solo by KJY... thanks for bringing it here! I think I saw Pudhiyavan when it was released, but I don't remember a thing about the film!
VSN was far ahead of the game (compared to the current B-graders...I mean, was VSN not light years ahead of Vidyasagar, Deva and Co.?) I believe that VSN was a casualty of industry politics, but to his credit, 80% of his songs were hits, and one can only imagine what wonders would have come had he been allowed to flourish...
Was "Isaiyin Mazhaiyile, Undhan Idhayam Nanaiyavae..." by VSN?

Neel D
13th April 2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks Rajesh, Jack and Naaz.

Yes, "isaiyin mazailyilE" is by VSN for the film "Kadaikkan Paarvai".

RR
13th April 2007, 09:34 PM
PIck #474
[html:8267e24a8a]http://psusheela.org/photos/images/pic_ps_05.jpg[/html:8267e24a8a]
Song: Osai koduththa
Film: Gnaana Kuzhandhai
Singer: P.Susheela
Music: K.V.Mahadevan
Year: 1979

K.V.Mahadevan and P.Susheela together bring us another powerful
semiclassical in "Osai koduththa nAyagiyE". A high energy composition
with all the classic elements of KVM, and PS effortlessly grabs it and
goes to town with it. The song was very popular at the time it
released. For whatever reason the song is not heard as often as some of
the classics such as "maRainthirunthE pArkkum", "nalamthAnA", "mannavan
vanthAnadi", "kOmAthA", etc. May be because the film did not fare as
well as the others, or may be the actor in the song sequence was not a
big name like Padmini/Savithiri/K.R.Vijaya.

I watched "Gnaana Kuzhanthai" few years ago but cannot remember the
story. I think there was more than one story in the film. There were
many actors. I always wondered how they managed to pay such a huge cast
in all those devotional and historical films. However, the best part of
those films is the abundance of beautiful semicalssical songs.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/osai_koduththa.rm

rajeshkrv
13th April 2007, 11:41 PM
wonderful pick

very powerful rendition by PS

b'ful composition by KVM

Nitya
14th April 2007, 03:34 AM
Amazing pick. btw, the raga is Revathi.

Naaz
14th April 2007, 08:56 PM
Neel D -

How easily PS fills the role of Osai Koduththa Naayagi! A great performance, and thanks for bringing it to our ears!

Neel D
17th April 2007, 07:38 PM
Thank you Rajesh/Nitya/Naaz.

SN23
18th April 2007, 02:56 PM
Hi Neel, Osai song link work paNNa villai. For me only? Can you please check?

Both solos by PS are for Baby Sudha (VaruvAn vadivElan Fame) who acted as Thirugnana Sambandhar. For Osai kodatha song, Goddess PAravathi (V.Nirmala) and Lord Shiva (who else Gemini) dance. Nirmala did well, but GG with his thondhi and thoppai hahahaha.

PS excels very well in this tough song. Esp, lines starting from kAnchi padhiyinil are very difficult, in my opinion.

tfmlover
21st April 2007, 08:52 AM
most songs links here not working for me too RR :(
Osai kodutha..wonderful pick
GG mirudangam first( big wig) then shiva dance :rotfl:

RR
23rd April 2007, 03:29 PM
Back after the short break :)
[html:8b3102aeb4]http://www.tamilstar.com/interview/actor/mohan/images/mohan120.jpg[/html:8b3102aeb4]
Pick #475

Song: jodi nadhigal
Movie: anbe Odi vaa
Singer: SPB
MD: IR

What can I say... Splendid interludes, and of course soul-stirring SPB.

This is the third song being featured on POW from A.O.V. The other two were: kanavodu aengum (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=120095#120095) (#109), azhagaana pookkal (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=572446#572446) (#314)

About the movie,

The mikes, Mohan and Murali, are the 2 heroes who benefitted the most from IR' s songs. Even their worst movies had best songs.
AOV is one such bad film. The film had Mohan, urvasi , Raasi etc. Only the songs are memorable.
The joyful 'azhagaana pookaL' (SPB's version of todays pick)
the soulful 'jodi nadhigaL'(SPB) and the romantic duets
'kaadhil kettadhu'(MV,UR) and 'idazhil amudham'(KJY,VJ) are all musical treats.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/jodi_nadhigal.rm

RR
23rd April 2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks all for the comments. If you have any requests/songs to feature, pls pm me or email at k.rajaraman AT yahoo.com.

SN23 & tfmlover: I tried on both IE & Firefox, the links are working. Can you pm me with the error message you are getting?

Neel D
24th April 2007, 10:03 AM
Thank you SN23 and tfmlover. Glad you like the song.

gingerbeehk
25th April 2007, 07:01 AM
Beautiful melody...Jodi Nadhigal. I listened this song many times, but i don't know which movie is from. Thank you somuch for post such nice song.

Jack

RR
25th April 2007, 11:55 AM
[html:53d4f52873]http://psusheela.org/photos/images/tms_p01.jpg[/html:53d4f52873]
Pick #476

Song: poovum pottum inge
Movie: Sorkkam Naragam
Singer: TMS, PS
MD: Sankar-Ganesh

I watched this movie several years ago in a dabba theatre in my hometown. Fatafat & Padmapriya are friends. Padmapriya will profess that a lady can make or destroy a family but Fatafat will not buy it. Later Fatafat will marry 'nice guy' Sivakumar and Padmapriya will marry 'drunkard' Vijayakumar. You can guess the remaining: Sivakumar will slowly become a drunkard because of the always-doubting fatafat, and Vijayakumar will thirunthify due to PP's devotion & kindness, etc. Finally FF realises her mistakes and all ends well.

This song is for vijayakumar & PP after vijayakumar becomes a good guy. Other hits song from this movie is 'sandhega kodu' (TMS).

Was it by Devar films?

Listen: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/poovum_sn.rm

Neel D
25th April 2007, 11:10 PM
Very nice song. Sounds a little Mumbai-ish. Been a long time since I heard it. Thanks RR.
Too sad both Fatafat and Padmapriya have passed on.

rajeshkrv
26th April 2007, 12:58 AM
thanks for the pick

the best song from sorgam naraam is the folkish duet by PS & TMS
yes - Mallu vetti madichu kattum machan oru mayilakala .. superb rendition and nice beat by SG

RR
30th April 2007, 12:47 PM
[html:3e9007233a]<table align=right><tr><td>http://www.weblokam.com/cinema/profiles/0604/22/images/img1060422020_1_1.gif</td></tr>
<tr><td>http://bollywood501.com/PhotoOfTheDay/2005/01/011805-Sridevi-Sadma.jpg</td></tr></table>[/html:3e9007233a]
Pick #477

Song: ninaithaal inikkum
Movie: Kalyana Raman
Singer: SJ
MD: IR
Year: 1981

A song that went rather unnoticed amidst the other IR hits during this period. I always wonder how SJ would have sung it during the recording. I believe the scene would've been just like in the pic :)

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/ninaithal_kr.rm

Nazir sultan
30th April 2007, 08:11 PM
Really Good song

Janaki only could sing such a song.

Recollect my boyhood with this song.

Thanks

gingerbeehk
2nd May 2007, 12:41 PM
Wow...simply beautiful song. I can re-collect my memory of Kalyana Raman releasing time, i guess it was 1979very 1st day of the release me & my friend went to Alankar Theatre early in the morning queue up for 1st show. we were the last person who get the ticket at the counter. After us, House Full board was hang on the counter. Wow..very amaging moment. Thanks for post such great song.

Jack

Neel D
3rd May 2007, 03:29 AM
Nice song. Considering the technical limitations of the time I really admire the quality of the work the musicians, technicians and singers produced those days.

RR
3rd May 2007, 10:33 PM
Pick #478

Song: puRA reNdu
Film: Kuppaththu Ponnu
Singers: S.P.Balasubramanyam, S.Janaki
MD: Shyam
Year: 1982

This is a pick by Neel. He writes:

A modern and light love duet, very typical of Shyam's many other duets.
Short little hummings sprinkled throughout the song, chorus bits, the
bongos that softly embrace the song all the way through, and the
violins that provide the base for the entire song, beautiful lyrics
saying the usual things in a whole new style, SPB and SJ at their best
- altogether this is one of my favorite songs.

"Kuppaththu Ponnu" apparently had Prem (Krodham fame?) and Rani Padmini
in the lead. Not the first time some obscure film had the privilege of featuring such a wonderful song.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/pura_rendu.rm

gingerbeehk
4th May 2007, 07:01 AM
Dear RR,

Superb song. This song is one of my longtime favourite. SPB & SJ never fails to give their best in any songs. This song is also one of them. I can say, this is the best pick of recent days collections. Keep it up friend.

Jack

Naaz
4th May 2007, 09:52 AM
Neel D -

Absolute Revival!

"Anaiththaal Eriyum Ithu Kaama Deepam" - A paradox to sink into; a delicious example of word play. And then some. :D

More!!

RR
7th May 2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks Jack, Naaz and all for the comments!

RR
7th May 2007, 08:12 AM
We'll have a Web 2.0 special this week :) All videos are sponsored by tfmlover. Pls join me in thanking her for taking pains to record and upload the videos for all of us. Thanks, tfmlover!

<hr>
Pick #479

Song: varuvaayaa velmuruga
Film: Yaen
Singers: SPB, Sarala
MD: TR Pappa
Lyrics: Kannadhasan
Actors: AVM Rajan, Lakshmi, Master Aadhi Narayanan

tfmlover writes: I briefly watched the movie. Father dies devastated family financially too. Big bro avm rajan studies ruined , sis luxhmi , little bro all taking refuge in their aunt's house. Wicked wicked sundaribai. Little bro 's legs gets paralyzed by polio. Avm rajan too ends up joining mob. At last bomb kills him too with connection to the mob. Why make such a worrisome movie..? Yaen?

[html:ea2d887885]<center><embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s102.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/tfmlover1/Yean%20Songs/VaruvaayavElmuruga.flv"></embed></center>[/html:ea2d887885]

Audio: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/varuvaayaa_y.rm

Video play help:
1. Just click 'Play' (on the video) to play :)
2. If the video is too small, Right Click->Zoom In.

You need flash player to play it. Most PC's have it installed. If you don't have it, d/l it from here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Neel D
7th May 2007, 08:59 AM
oliyum oLiyum... wonderful!
Thanks tfmlover and RR for the rare song and video.

madhu
7th May 2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks tfml and RR !

thats really a wonderful song !

balaji
8th May 2007, 06:32 PM
Arumai Tfm

Sounds better than the original LM's "Hai Bahdhu..." song

SPB vilayadugirar

Bala

sss
8th May 2007, 11:29 PM
Very nice to watch the video.

It is good, but is there any chance to host audio separately?
Thanks in advance

Regards
SSS

RR
9th May 2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks all for the comments.

sss: I'll try to add the audio-only version. Give me sometime.

balaji: tell us more about the original?

RR
9th May 2007, 08:24 AM
Pick #480

Song: naayagan avan oru puram
Film: oru vidukathai oru thodarkathai
Singers: KJY, SJ
Lyrics: Vaali
MD: Gangai Amaran

tfmlover writes:

Story goes like this: hero's(Vijayan)wife (Abarna) cheating on him , he forgives and forgets . let go ! (engirunthaalum vaazhga !) but affair gone for a burton , she returns like a Thodarkadhai burdening him . Hero Taking pity on her and the paramour(Vijaybabu) too ! being incapacitated finally. (vanthathum vanthaai thunaiyudan + pillaiyudan vanthaai) whereas a warm-affectioned girl (Shoba)'s love for him remains untold like a Vidukadhai her marriage and hanging too gone by destiny ( in this movie too) lord this guy deserved a better fate ! This song preceding , just before ' cheating wife caught red-handed situation(shaggy it wasn't you)

Vaali's scoring lines like a narrator speaks without the characters themselves ever having to cry down matches what is taking place not only in this particular scene, but the overall storyline. KJY SJ voice GA music offers another level of effusive rise , benefits the overall plot within and the clip attached would also elaborate the situation like a prelude.

[html:55d03e63df]<center><embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s102.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/tfmlover1/Songs%20from%2080s/Naayaganavan.flv"></embed>
</center>[/html:55d03e63df]

Audio: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/naayagan_ovot.rm

gingerbeehk
9th May 2007, 02:49 PM
Nice pick. Ithu enna Gnagai Amaran weeka? Appadiye audio versonyum potta punniyamaa irukkum.

Jack

tvsankar
10th May 2007, 12:27 AM
Dear RR and tfmlover,
Thanks for the song 'Varuvaya vel muruga".

Nice voice by SPB.Thanks for the Beautiful song's video too.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

RR
10th May 2007, 03:26 PM
Jack :) Coming soon.

Thanks Usha shankar.

RR
10th May 2007, 03:26 PM
Pick #481

Song: raajaathi kungumam
Film: Mangala vaathiyam
Singers: SPB,VJ
MD: MSV

tfmlover writes:

The movie begins with naadaswaram mangala vaathiyam (title BGM including) in a village introducing Andaal (Kaanthimathi) the loan shark who never misses a trick' including the usual ' vethu paper kai ezhuthu trick ! and her son Kamal.. mindless country kudummi character with speech disorder Yamuna(Sripriya)from the city as expected , being karate master's (Nambiyaar)daughter an eye for an eye situation between two ladies leading to shameful consequences and the main plot revolves around how they get even , kamal between stools neither romance nor big heroism by proposing a marriage between yamuna and her son , Andaal finally mother-in-law ing , humiliating Yamuna in front of the villagers ,marumagal 'sabatham ' new avatar girl come back !
poor mother-in-law doesn't even notice the resemblance which consequently help marumagal beat her hands down right from the start , with kaanthimathi's punch rhyming dialogues , plenty of humorous situational comedy making an impact (not sure if kaanthimathi writes her own) Nagesh kanakkupillai of kaanthimathi , V K Ramasaamy .. villain Srikanth , Y G Magendra. very entertaining family comedy package

The highlight of the film for sure MSV 'S BGM and songs for his own creation: Mellisai mannarin 'sarigamapadhani films' Mangala vaathiyam
with songs like
Thullivarum kaalai ponnaikanda vElai - SJ Malaisia Vasudevan
Sorgam therigirathu athilE sugamum irukirathu -SJ
Vandinnaa vandithaan ithu Vaathiryaaru vandithaan - nenjam undu nermai undu odu raajaa kind song for kamal with Vaathiyaar MGR poster attractions
Vella kaakaa mallaaka -TMS hit reminding kaarthigai maasamadi kalyaana seasonadi
and
Raajaathi kumgmam kamal's daydreaming
with nadaswaram prelude progressing to an enjoyable duet rich orchestration with quick transitions , singer's style giving a touch
of class treat to the ears
must be a sure memorable one !

[html:dce5031888]<center><embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s102.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/tfmlover1/Songs%20from%2080s/RAjaathiKungkumam.flv"></embed></center>[/html:dce5031888]

Audio: http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/raajaathi_mv.rm

Neel D
11th May 2007, 07:58 AM
Nice songs "nAyagan avan" and "rAjAththi kunggumam". Thank you tfmlover and RR.

RR
11th May 2007, 04:27 PM
Neel: welcome, thanks for comments.

sss, Jack and all: Audios have been added for the last 3 songs. As some of you may have waited for audios, I'll let you enjoy them and post the next song on Monday.

Have a nice TGIF & weekend!

tfmlover
12th May 2007, 02:40 AM
thanks friends for the comments
hope the weekend away is well & refreshing
:)

gingerbeehk
12th May 2007, 07:32 AM
Excellent work. Appreciate your kind effort. Thank you somuch my dear friend. Expecting more rare pices of 70's.

Jack

sss
14th May 2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks for hosting Audio also, hats off!

SSS

RR
14th May 2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks Jack,sss.

RR
14th May 2007, 10:17 PM
PIck #482

Song: pirantha naal
Movie: Naam moovar
MD: S M Subbaiah Naidu
Singer: TMS
Lyrics: Vaali

Naam moover' might sound like a Modern Theatres flick
but on the contrary its by one 'Balan pictures for Magendran's story
(not sure if Mullum malarum fame ? )
Directed by Jambu with S M Subbaiah Naidu music , all songs lyrics by Vaali
The formula and the level of action pretty close' to Jaishankar's James Bond
movies but no cigar'
There is Jai, there is Ravichandran and, last but not least there is our Nagesh
and his mother Bandaribai with a heart of gold both living from hand to mouth ,
'pattanam job seeker jaishankar from rural coming into their life ,
soon we see very very rich Ravichandran in danger ! in his hour of need there comes
new friends indeed ! fight chase and rescue . need i say more ?
we three ! with the chemistry between all of them new lease on life
imbued with energy ,girl friend , party , duets , the carefree joys of
friendship but for how long ?plot changes the gear when Jai accused of murdering and the movie
really takes off predictability with fights, jumps , gunshots , underground secret leader
then unmask him at the end which gave me a real belly laugh
coz V K Ramasamy (Nagesh's gfrnd's father) was the master of disguise .
The song for Mom's birthday partying , TMS 's stylish voice ,heavenly chorus
appealing to the ears , we three seems to be enjoying them self genuinely too lyrically,
musically and emotionally with dance strokes to the audience's delight SMS ing rhythm and blue !
There might be many birthday tfm songs but nothing hits home like this one for many
'pirantha naal indru pirantha naal ' have become extremely nostalgic ,
owes much of its popularity to the fact that the first few lines were played EVERYDAY
on Radio Ceylon during (guess 60's - late 80's?)
during Piranthanaal Vaazthukkal announcement as a theme ,
merry for celebrant , and hurry ' for Pongum poompunal listeners , which came next .
as per rules radio announcers never allowed to play the same song twice in a day
therefore many listeners had to settle with the preludial alone .
whether you listen to it newly or take real trip down nostalgia lane ,
this song is very refreshing is certain to put a smile on your face

[html:8ff844e0e2]<center>
<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s102.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/tfmlover1/Jaishankar%20-TMS/UravuendraVaanathilE.flv"></embed>
</center>[/html:8ff844e0e2]

madhu
15th May 2007, 01:58 AM
Nostalgic...

:( :P

tfmlover
15th May 2007, 07:26 AM
Nostalgic...

..any 'malarum ninaivugal ' ? :) you may want to share madhu

tvsankar
15th May 2007, 10:31 AM
Dear RR,
Thanks for Rare GEM.

whether you listen to it newly or take real trip down nostalgia lane ,
this song is very refreshing is certain to put a smile on your face

Nijam dhan.En school days il. Radio cylone il morning 7.00 am ku - Birth day programme ku starting tune aga indha paatin prelude varum.
(Ippodhu dhan therindhu konden - idhu oru padalin prelude enru.)

Prelude ai thodarndhu Abdul Hakkim voice il B day wishes ketta ninaivu varugiradhu.Indha programme ku aduthu film songs varum.Adharkaga 7.00 manikae cylone radio vaithu vittu, (veetil periyavargaluku appodhu Delhi news time - sometime periyavanga win pannuvanga.. Sila time naanga win pannuvom - Nice nostalgia....

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

madhu
16th May 2007, 02:44 PM
Nostalgic...

..any 'malarum ninaivugal ' ? :) you may want to share madhu

hi tfml..

niraiya irukku..

I saw the movie once and then only I heard this in "radio ceylon".
So I know this is a film song. Eventhough, we used to shout ( not sing :oops: ) this song on friends BD celebrations...

cant forget this and the following "pongum poompunal" tune... !

and also those ilankai thamizh film songs like "yen mAma nee oru kOmALithAn" or "unnai varainthEne uLLamadhilE" or "anbuLLam koNdu sERndha nalla naaL" etc.

andha naaLum vandhidAdhO ? :(

tfmlover
17th May 2007, 06:27 AM
madhu sounds like TMS.. ...anthanaal ponathamma..
anantham ponathamma..anthanaal ini varumaa anatha nilai tharumaa.. :(

gingerbeehk
17th May 2007, 02:43 PM
Wow...very nice song. After very longtime you had given oppertunity to listen "Pirantha Naal" paattu. I

I have an humble request....kindly pls post audio verson along with video verson would be highly appreciated. Hope you will consider my request.

Thanks,
Jack

RR
18th May 2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks all.

Jack: Will host the audio but it'll take a few days.

gingerbeehk
25th May 2007, 10:06 AM
Hey guys.....what happened to you all? no sound from you guys long time. Comeon wakeup. Cheers.

Jack

RR
4th June 2007, 08:11 AM
Hi All,

Sorry, was/am busy with several things here. To make PoW more regular, I've requested "Neel D" to post songs and he has agreed to do it henceforth. So, he'll be the new PoW DJ...! For those who don't know, Neel has been one of the key song-contributors of this thread with many hard-to-find songs (Ramki often says "I looked for this song everywhere for so long.. and finally Neel gave it to me") , and I'm sure he'll continue to enliven the spirit of this thread and guide us in cherishing the forgotten/unchartered TFM waters. Pls join me in welcoming him and give him your support.. :clap: :clap:

Neel D
4th June 2007, 10:23 AM
Pick #484

Song: mALigai AnAlum
Film: Asha
Music: K.V.Mahadevan
Singers: P.Jayachandran, Vani Jairam
Year: 1985

Thank you RR for the opportunity. I hope everybody enjoys my selections. Everyone, please listen and post your opinion. And hopefully I don't repeat any song already posted :-)

I am beginning my assignment with a rare song, and plan to keep it rare most of the time. A lovely melody in the music of K.V.Mahadevan. The song has a strong 70s feel though it is from the mid-80s. One of the greatest singing pairs P.Jayachandran and Vani Jairam lend their sweet voices to this composition. Don't know much about the film. Listeners please fill in.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/maligai_analum.rm

SN23
4th June 2007, 12:48 PM
Hoooo.... after a long time... where is Ramki? We will miss you and your humor-ful intro to the songs.

Welcome Neel as the lead for PoWs section. Good choice from an unheard film and song. VJ really excels. PJ too does a fine job. Azhuththam thiruththamA pAdiyirukkAnga :-)

Ennudaiya ninaivukku therindha mattil, this film hero is Suresh and Heroine is Nalini.

SN23
4th June 2007, 12:49 PM
Why the text are centered... it is bit inconvenient to read. Please correct the style.

madhu
4th June 2007, 02:53 PM
welcome Neel :clap:

I think its a ghost story.. I heard this song long back..
mm.. so refreshing..

Neel D
5th June 2007, 07:07 AM
SN23 & madhu,

Thanks for the welcome and for the details about the film. I plan to feature about three songs a week (Mon/Wed/Fri). The next song will be tomorrow. Contributions are welcome. Please PM me.

tvsankar
5th June 2007, 08:14 AM
Dear Neel,
I couldn't hear the song...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
5th June 2007, 05:58 PM
Usha,

The link seems to be fine. Please try again.

RR
5th June 2007, 09:00 PM
Dear Neel,
I couldn't hear the song...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
If the error was 'Internal server error', pls try after a while. It's usually just a temporary glitch. Otherwise, post the error message so that we can assist you better.

tvsankar
5th June 2007, 11:19 PM
Dear RR,
Thanks for the kind response.

:ty:

Now i could hear the song.

Dear Neel,
Thanks for the rare pick.VJ voice is so nice.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
6th June 2007, 07:10 AM
Pick #485

Song: pOgAthE pOgAthE
Film: Veerapandiya Kattabomman
Music: G.Ramanathan
Singer: Rathnamala
Year: 1959

Today's song is a tribute to the singer and actor Rathnamala who recently passed away. pOgAthE is not a rare song but it is the only solo I have that was sung by Rathnamala. Though she had a unique voice and expressive singing Rathnamala only sang a handful of songs in Tamil films.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/pogathe.rm

gingerbeehk
6th June 2007, 07:19 AM
Welcome back guys. At last after long break you guys were back with full effort. Both Asha & Veerapandiya Kattabomman songs were purly amaged. RR, it is possible to post audio version of Oru Naalil Mudiyathathu song would be appreciated.

Also, i am long searching for following extremly rare songs of 70's. Could you pls anyone make these available would be greatful for all music lovers.

1. Song: VELLAM POLA THULLUM ULLANGAL
Singer. S.P.B
Movie:Kanavugal Karpanaigal
Music:????

2. Song: AZHAGANA KOVIL KATTA NILAM VAANGINAAR
Movie: Veedu Varai Uravu ( I think... but i am not sure)

3. Song: KAVITHAI NAAN KAVINGAN NEE
Singer: T.M.S. & L.R.Eswari
Movie:Kalyaanamam Kalyaanam

Thanks in advance
Jack

Neel D
6th June 2007, 07:24 AM
Thank you Usha and Jack.

Jack, I will look for those songs in my collection.

SN23
6th June 2007, 11:57 AM
Ginger:
Though I do not have the songs that you mentioned, I have some info.

Kanavugal Karpanaigal: Sharath Babu and Late Rani Padmini. Music by Shankar-Ganesh

Veedu Varai Uravu: Gemini Ganesan and Sowcar Janaki. Music by MSV

Kalyaanamam Kalyaanam: Jaishankar and Jayachitra (in dual role). Music by Vijayabaskar

My respects to the departed soul. I heard Rathnamala acted in some movies and stage dramas also. She acted in Parasakthi when it was on stage, it seems.

Pogadhe pogadhe is with too high dose of azhugai. When I watched VKB, somehow I could not appreciate this song. Did not suit Padmini :-(

RR
7th June 2007, 08:37 AM
'pogaathe' is a real saddie.. Not surprisingly, it's in Mukhari raagam. I don't know much about Rathnamala, but have requested Manisekaran to post. Hope he will drop by.

Jack: I forgot about it. tfmlover did send the audio too, Ill post it.

jn
8th June 2007, 12:54 AM
Welcome Neel. :) Ramki and I have discussed many times about your knowledge of songs and movies and also of your rare collections.
The first song by PJ and VJ is new to me. Never heard it. I enjoyed it. Nice pick. Can I expect rare VJ songs from you now and then? Do I sound greedy? :)

pogaadhe song talks about bad omens that whenver I listen to this song itself, I feel that something bad is going to happen. :)

Neel D
8th June 2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks SN23, RR and jn. I am looking forward to Manisekaran's writeup on Rathnamala. I realize "pOgAthE" is an extremely sad song. I know some people who refuse to listen the song citing the same reason as jn.

jn, I will certainly feature rare songs by VJ now and then.

Neel D
8th June 2007, 05:58 AM
Pick #486

Song: nAn AdinAl
Film: Manippayal
Music: M.S.Viswanathan
Singer: S.Janaki
Year: 1973

No screaming, no panting, yet very sexy. SJ gives a sensuous rendition without crossing any boundary. MSV gives a sophisticated presentation of a common situation song.

Manippayal was a decent entertainer. Had all elements of a formula movie. Master Shekar and Baby Indira played very important roles. The adult leads were AVM Rajan and Jayanti. Manorama and Thengai on the comedy track but was built into the main story. I forget the name of the actor who played the children's father and the actor who played villain. But all characters had memorable parts.

Other songs from Manippayal - Jayachandran sang a lovely song "thangga chimiz pOl udalO" and another reasonably popular song at its time was "ENdiyamma ithukku pEru" by some new singers. I don't believe there was any song by TMS or PS in the film. There was an ADMK propaganda song by LRE and Seerkazhi, I think.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/nan_adinal.rm

gingerbeehk
8th June 2007, 07:20 AM
NeelD, Thanks for extremly rare piece. I have never ever listen this song before, this is very 1st time. I think song is not aired much in radios. S.J voice bring up feeling honey dew sweetness. great pick.

Jack

Meerakrishna
8th June 2007, 12:40 PM
Wow, such a nice song of SJ. Thanks NeelD. SJ voice is like honey.So sweet. Thanks again

regards

mythila
8th June 2007, 03:10 PM
NeelD thanks for a unique pick.
SJ redefines the way a sensuous number should be rendered. Gosh!!! There is just no replacement for her. Just hear the way she does yodelling so effortlessly!!! I used to long to hear "naan aadinaal" as I had heard may be only a couple of times as a kid.
I would like to hear another obscure SJ solo "idhu viLakketrum neram" from a 70's movie "Thalai prasavam" . I have heard it only once in my childhood.

madhu
8th June 2007, 04:50 PM
Hi Neel..

hearing after so many years... wow !

the sirkazhi/LRE song is "kAnchiyile oru buddhan piRandhAn".

sss
8th June 2007, 10:54 PM
Rathnamala was Shivaji's another wife, I just read this from Today's Dinamalar Friday Cinema page. Is it true???

Neel D
9th June 2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks Jack, Meera, mythila and madhu. "nAn AdinAl" is one of my favorite SJ songs too. I was happy to have found it recently. I will be on the lookout for the "thalai prasavam" song.

sss, any useful information in Dinamalar? :)

Neel D
11th June 2007, 05:41 AM
Pick #487

Song: vaLarpiRai enavE
Film: Rendum Rendum Anju
Music: Gangai Amaran
Singer: Mano
Year: 1988

Though a decent singer Mano gets trashed a lot unfortunately due to his perceived lack of originality. I don't think he got to sing that many good songs in TFM. Today's song is not a very unique composition either. Gangai Amaran and other MDs have composed many similar tunes. But still, it is a happy song welcoming new life, the instrumentation is pleasant and the song is nice to hear.

"Rendum Rendum Anju" starred Sarathbabu, Ambika, Chandrasekar and many others. It was supposedly a thriller. Ambika has premonitions of bad things happening and she prevents her husband Sarathbabu from doing anything, going anywhere and annoys the hell out of him... and the people watching the film feel just the same. "vaLarpiRai" is the only good thing (okay, somewhat) in the film. Sarathbabu sings to his pregnant wife Ambika.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/valarpirai.rm

RR
11th June 2007, 10:18 AM
Neel,

Good pick! Raga sounds like Malayamarutham.

From Mars
11th June 2007, 10:08 PM
I thought there is one more good (???) song by KSC, I may be wrong.

'panner poovin paarvaiyil kaNNeer kOlam yEn'.

RC
12th June 2007, 05:38 AM
FM: ippadi edhunaa paatu pOtta thaan ettipaakuradhu-nu mudivu pannirukkeengaLA?

Neel D
12th June 2007, 08:05 AM
RR,
Thank you. I don't know much about ragas. But Malayamarutham is very pleasant.

From Mars,
On the first go, I liked and remembered only the vaLarpiRai song. May be KSC song is good too. I should have paid more attention.

RC,
neengaLum adikkadi ettip paarungaL :-)

yvsmani
12th June 2007, 03:45 PM
I saw this movie for abt an hour, but could n't sit thru. A good song. KSC song gyabagamae vara mattenguthu.

From Mars
13th June 2007, 12:01 AM
RC :)
actually I watched the movie :) similar to 'neeya' story, Sarath babu escapes from being killed and four others were killed. so 2 + 2 = 5 in total :)

I was looking for this song, that's why :)

Neel D
13th June 2007, 06:54 AM
Pick #488

Song: AththAdi athisayam
Film: Manaivi Solle Manthiram
Music: Ilaiyaraja
Singers: K.J.Yesudas, Uma Ramanan
Year: 1983

A lovely song by IR. I always wondered why this song did not make it to the top tier of IR hits. For whatever mysterious reason this song remains a little rare, at least to some of us. I remember listening to the song many times on the radio back in the days. KJY and UR make a very unique combination and have given at least two big hits in IR's music (kaNNanE nI vara and nI pAthi nAn pAthi). I wish they had sung many more songs together. The contrast between the voices makes this singing pair so special.

I have not seen Manaivi Solley Manthiram. Hopefully it was entertaining. Please add if you have any details.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/aththadi_msm.rm

tvsankar
13th June 2007, 08:09 AM
Dear Neel,
Inru ennal POK kekka mudiyaradhu...

Thanks for the nice songs..

1.Valar pirai enavae - Nice rendition by Mano. I like Mano's voice.

2.Athadi adhisayam - Uma Ramanan and KJY - Vera enna vendum? (IR music udan )...

Original Voice il paadi ketkum indha POK padalgal ellam Nichayam GEMS dhan.....

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
13th June 2007, 02:12 PM
Hi Neel,

KJY and UR gave another gem "Aahaya veNNilAvE tharai meedhu vandhadhEnO". UR simply superb in that song. Here to IR music.

Manaivi solle mandhiram... mike Mohan with Nalini, I guess. There is one more pair in that SVee Sekhar with Subadhra (Intro thru NizhalgaL). There is one MV and SJ duet in that... not having enough memory to recollect :-(

Neel D
14th June 2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks Usha and SN23.

AgAya veNNilAvE... nice song. And there is also the dreamy bUpALam isaikkum. Speaking of it, I have another song by KJY that begins bUpALam. Any guesses?

From Mars
14th June 2007, 08:48 PM
is it from 'Agni theertham?" :)

Neel D
15th June 2007, 06:45 AM
From Mars,

I am not sure about the film title. But I believe that is correct. tfmlover pm'd with the correct answer too. You guys can't be beat.

Neel D
15th June 2007, 06:46 AM
Pick #489

Song: thannai maRanthAdum
Film: Sarangadhara
Music: G.Ramanathan
Year: 1958

Rewinding to the 1950s... a solo by PS. A typical song of the time. However, the freshness in the voice proves why PS was able to outdo all her female contemporaries and dominate for more than a decade that followed. Of course, Sarangadhara is synonymous with the classic "vasanthamullai pOlE vanthu" by TMS. But "thannai maRanthAdum" is a really cute song to enjoy.

Don't know who wrote the lyrics. It says "vaNNa thamiz pAdi". But the song is full of Sanskrit words. Then the woman describes her lover as "gambIrA" immediately followed by "naLina". Too many contradictions... No, shouldn't be too picky on a happy girl in the nanthavanam song.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/thannai_s.rm

RC
15th June 2007, 07:16 AM
NeelD: indha maadhiri ooru peru theriyaadha padam-laam FM-ku aththuppadi... ungaLukku edhuna doubt-na thayangaama avarai kEkkalam... aana nalla padamellaam avarukku theriyaadhu :)

Neel D
15th June 2007, 09:17 AM
RC,
Thanks for the tip. Now I know whom to bother when I am stuck.
:-)

madhu
15th June 2007, 09:39 AM
Hi neel..

kaala chakkarathula ekkachakkamA pinnAlE pOyitteenga !
SarangadhArA pAttu kEtta ninaivu illai.. but certainly
its good. PS voice eppavume sweet-thaan !

dhideernu oru request kEkka thOnichu..
"idhu undhan veetu kiLidhAn" appadinnu oru VJ song
from sankar saleem simon.. :plz:

Neel D
15th June 2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks madhu. I like to hear words like "ninaivu illai" from tfm buffs like you. That means the song is rare. :-)

I don't have a good recording of "ithu unthan". It is very choppy. I will instead present another rare VJ song next week.

tvsankar
16th June 2007, 11:44 PM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for the song.Edho pona jenmathil ketta madhiri oru ninaivu....
(Indru dhan page open agi song kekka mudinjadhu.)

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
18th June 2007, 05:34 AM
Thanks Usha. I am not sure why you are having trouble accessing the site... RR?

Neel D
18th June 2007, 05:35 AM
Pick #490

Song: mEgam karuththu
Film: Jhansi
Music: Shankar-Ganesh
Singers: Vani Jairam, Malaysia Vasudevan
Year: 1985

"mEgam karuththu" is a slightly rustic romantic song. Shankar-Ganesh do a wonderful job alternating the pace frequently. Though many songs in VJ-MV combination are kuththu songs with pedestrian lyrics, if you search hard enough at least about a third of their songs together are good songs. "mEgam karuththu" is one of the good ones.

From Mars,
Did I get the film details of this song correct? Since it is so obscure I think you might know it :-)

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/megam_karuththu.rm

RR
18th June 2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the rare goodies, Neel. PS one was briga-full, uncharacteristic of PS songs!

As for access problem: Only a handful from India seems to have problem accessing www.tfmpage.com . I'm still looking into why. Meanwhile, Usha: I suggest you bookmark this page. It should work.

tvsankar
18th June 2007, 11:22 AM
Dear RR,
Bookmark seidhum dhan indha kodumai...Ippodhum enaku work agavillai

Eppodho work agum. Paatu kekka mudiyum..... Adhu varai wait panna vendiyadhu dhan.Veru vazhi illai en ninaikiren...

with Love,
Usha Sankar.

gingerbeehk
18th June 2007, 12:22 PM
Megam Karuththu....i have never heard. Shankar-Ganesh duo made lots of wonderful songs. This song is one of among to them. Who acted in the movie?pls give more details. Thanks for another extreme rare song.

Jack

From Mars
18th June 2007, 06:18 PM
Neel D,

I have no idea. May be RC knows it :)

tfmlover
18th June 2007, 11:24 PM
jhaansi raani ' right?
the sarathbabu , madavi movie
regards

tfmlover
18th June 2007, 11:35 PM
SN23 hi 'manavi solle mantiram - mohan nalini
the other couple towel paandiyan & ilavarasi (both murukku vadai selling )
and ' ithu undhan veettu kilithaan ... not available online ? madhu

RC
19th June 2007, 12:18 AM
FM: neenga dhaaraLamaa vivaram ellaaam sollalaam... enakku PM anuppi sollavaikkanum-nu illai... :)
FM says Jhansi is a Madhavi movie (in dual role).

madhu
19th June 2007, 04:30 AM
yeah. Jhansi is a Madhavi's dual role movie with cowboy dress and saree !

tfml : I found "undhan veetu" somwhere online but quality was not good !

sss
19th June 2007, 06:10 AM
Jhansi was a typical Karnan(!) movie. Madhavi played dual role. (like Vani Rani). Taking revenge for her parent's death.

I remembered to watch this movie long time back in KTV (normally this movie will be telecasted after 11 PM-Reason: Karnan movie). It was low grade movie and particular song also very low grade as Madhavi dress Padu Kanadravi....(!!!)

tfmlover
19th June 2007, 06:46 AM
madhu , i have the movie i send you the song
sss ! thanks..ennada padam missa pochennu kavalaipatten .

Neel D
19th June 2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks RR, Usha, Jack, tfmlover, FromMars, RC, madhu and sss.

tfmlover - So, is the film title "Jhansi" or "Jhansi Rani"?

From Mars - No, you cannot escape :-)

RC
19th June 2007, 09:31 PM
Jhansi Raani-nu thaan mudhal-la title irundhadhu... Due to various reasons (verenna pOrattam thaan), they changed the title to Jhansi -nu namma FM solraar :)

From Mars
19th June 2007, 11:27 PM
Ada paavi RC :)

tfmlover
20th June 2007, 02:19 AM
karnan movie in other langs too
pretty sure its jhansi raani (1 jhansi 1 raani)
pmd a good link to our neel DJ boss
chau

Naaz
20th June 2007, 04:34 AM
Neel D -

Maegam Karuththu...what a downpour of bliss!
VJs clarity, pitch and control in the duet is spotless (the drop on varalaachchu and pick up with mogamum is masterful 2:44) MVD is a good foil. Reminded me of the other songs by this duo: Sugam Sugamae and Pattula Saela...
Good work in the Rarities dept! :D

Neel D
20th June 2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks RC, From Mars, tfmlover and Naaz.

tfmlover, thanks for the link. I have not watched it yet. I will get back after watching it. Hopefully it won't give me a heart attack :-)

Naaz, nice review!

Neel D
20th June 2007, 08:11 AM
Pick #491

Song: azagar malaiyil
Film: Aaru Pushpangal
Singers: L.R.Eswari, L.R.Anjali, B.S.Sasirekha
Lyrics: Kannadasan
Year: 1977

It is "Sivaji" fever everywhere. And I started tracing back the Rajinikant phenomenon. I decided to dust some old songs from before Rajinikant became the Super Star. My favorite is "Bhuvana Oru Kelvikkuri". But all songs from that film are too popular. So I settled on Aaru Pushpangal which has two good songs. "azagar malaiyil" was popular at the time it was released. But "ENdi muththamma" was very unique and took the prize.

The song sequence features Srividya, Y.Vijaya and LakshmiSri. Y.Vijaya is a bus driver, LakshmiSri is the conductor and Srividya is kind of a supervisor. The three are sisters (there are three more at home and they add up to six pushpangal) and run a transportation service. When the bus gets delayed due to a mechanical problem and a wedding party in the bus is about to miss their muhurtham, Srividya suggests performing the wedding in the bus. The wedding is performed, the sisters sing and everybody is happy. So, how is this Rajinikant song? I think he fixes the mechanical problem. The sultry, smodlering, out-of-control bad boy of the 70s is really missed in today's formula movies.

MSV incorporates the kalyANa mELam, a fun atmosphere, three female singers, and a bus service operation into the song and also, in the interludes he gives us warning signals about the upcoming danger from the villain. What a genius! LRE, LRA and BSS have a lot of fun singing the song. Listening to it for sure brightens up one's mood.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/azagar_malaiyil.rm

gingerbeehk
20th June 2007, 10:07 AM
Matrumoru Rare piece. Naanga etir paarkkatha paatellam poduringa...Vazhga valamudan. Innum niraiya rare paadalgal etirpaarkkirom.

jack

yvsmani
20th June 2007, 01:39 PM
Neel:
a very rare song. thanks for the same. sivaji fever-il neengalum ondri vittergalaa ?

Neel D
21st June 2007, 10:59 AM
Thank you Jack. I will do my best.

You are welcome yvsmani. Yes, ondri vitten. thavirkka mudiyalai. chummaa adhiruthilla!

Neel D
22nd June 2007, 03:37 AM
Pick #492

Song: un sirippu
Film: Nee Sirithaal Naan Sirippen
Music: Shyam
Singers: S.Janaki, S.P.Balasubramanyam
Year: 1979

This is a song I discovered only recently. It does sound like a Shyam composition. Nice singing by SJ and SPB. The hummings are cute. But the lyrics is very unimpressive. I have no idea about the film nor do I recall if there ever was a film titled "Nee Sirithaal Naan Sirippen". But there was one and some of you may have even watched it. Please provide details.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/un_sirippu.rm

RC
22nd June 2007, 06:30 AM
I havent watched this movie but remember that my dad had a audio casette that had songs from this one and others (the ones that we used to get from Singapore/Malaysia with pictures of the movie on it). The other song from this movie, I believe is,
unnai padaithadhum bramman oru kanam thigaith ninriruppaan.

I think vairamuthu should have got his inspiration for anbe anbe kolladhe from this one (unnai padaithadhum).

RR
22nd June 2007, 07:45 AM
Neel,

This one got quite a bit of airtime on ceylon radio. Thanks for posting.

ShankarV69
22nd June 2007, 11:07 AM
I have also listened to the rare song "unnai padaithadhum bramman oru kanam thigaithu ninriruppaan" in ceylon radio.

Will this rare song be posted here?

Shankar

Neel D
22nd June 2007, 10:39 PM
RC, thanks for the info. "unnai padaithathum" is a good song. I remember that one.

RR, you are welcome.

Shankar, if I find that song I will post it.

tfmlover, nice avatar! No comments on anything else. I will get myself in trouble :-)

tvsankar
23rd June 2007, 11:55 AM
Dear Neel,
Oru vazhiya "Un sirupu" paatai kekka mudindhadhu.

Cylone Radiovil ketta ninaivu dhan varugiradhu.

Thanks for the rare song.

Yaazh Sudhakar solvadhai pol, padalai kettal , nammudiaya oor, school. friends , nam teachers ellorum ninaivil varugirargal dhan. :D

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
25th June 2007, 05:46 AM
Usha,
You are welcome. That is correct. Memories of songs do encapsulate the time, the happenings, the people, and the place we were in our lives at that time. Well said.

Neel D
25th June 2007, 05:49 AM
Pick #493

Song: bUpALam arangERum
Film: Agni Theertham
Music: Shankar-Ganesh
Singer: K.J.Yesudas
Year: ?

A beautiful semi-classical song composed by Shankar-Ganesh. A suitable song for KJY who excelled in this genre. Nice lyrics describing the beauty of morning.

The film had some not well known actors. There was a blind nomadic man in the film who sings this song welcoming the morning. Not sure when it was released.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/bupalam_arangerum.rm

From Mars
25th June 2007, 07:27 PM
the other song in this movie: 'dEvi un paadham thanil' by KJY.

I think the movie had NizhalkaL ravi in the lead role as a blind man.

:)

Neel D
26th June 2007, 07:26 AM
bUpALam Mars-il oliththu vittathu.
Anaal Earth-il innum olikkavillaiyO?

tvsankar
26th June 2007, 08:04 AM
Neel,
Yes. Innum Earth il Olikavillai.... :idontgetit:

RR
26th June 2007, 09:41 AM
Neel,

Beautiful. KJY kalakkals (except for the 'La' sothappals :) ).

Neel D
27th June 2007, 04:58 AM
From Mars and RR,
Thank you.

Usha,
bUpALam oliththu vittathA?

Speaking of olippu, I remembered a Soolamangalam Sisters' song that goes "oliththathu oli oliththathu...". Coming soon... a Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi song. Any guesses/requests? If I have the requested song I will feature it instead of my selection.

Neel D
27th June 2007, 05:08 AM
Pick #494

Song: pUvE puthu bUpALam
Film: ?
Music: ?
Singers: P.Jayachandran & ?
Year: ?

That bUpALam did not wake up very many. Let us see if this does. This is a beautiful fast-paced song. I heard this song many years ago and was familiar with the words and tune. But just recently found a recording. I have no information about the song... zilch. Not even sure about the male voice, it was a doubtful guess. Music may be by Gangai Amaran, may be not. Is the female voice Lata R? Please fill in the blanks.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/puve_puthu.rm

gingerbeehk
27th June 2007, 07:54 AM
Hi,

Ithu enna Poobhalam vaaramaa? Anyway, nice song with fast beat indeed. I have never heard this song b4, but i can make sure Music is GA. And also, female voice seems like latha Rajinikanth as you said. I have no idea about movie my friend...if someone knows more details please share. BTW thanks for another rare song.

Jack

RC
27th June 2007, 08:06 AM
I havent heard this one!

FM: ungaLukkaa ellOrum waiting..seekiramaa vandhu vevaraththa sollunga :P

tvsankar
27th June 2007, 08:07 AM
Dear Neel,
Innum olikavillai.Enravadhu ketka mudiyum.Thats all.

Neengal sollum padal - "Seval koovi vaanam vizhithadhu" enru start agum dhanae?

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

tvsankar
28th June 2007, 08:22 AM
Dear Neel,
irandu Bupalamum inru olithadhu. Nice ones..
Music Chandabose madiri thonugiradhu...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
28th June 2007, 09:10 AM
You are welcome Jack. Boopalam series has ended... already. Next song will be something else.

Thanks RC.

FM, where are you?

Usha, yes, it is "sEval kUvi", very nice song. Glad you caught both songs today. "pUvE" could be Chandrabose too. Do you know that Chandrabose left the film industry for a music teacher/composer job in UAE?

madhu
28th June 2007, 10:28 AM
Hi..

kEtta gnAbagamE illai.. pudhusA irukku. a real rare one !:clap:

tvsankar
28th June 2007, 11:07 AM
Dear Neel,
Thanks for the response.About CB - Sudden a kanomae enru ninaithen.This is news to me.

Puve puve - lady voice - RAdhika - Ilam pani thulir vidum neram - avanga voice madhiri iruku .

rockydeva
28th June 2007, 11:12 AM
:roll:

Neel D
29th June 2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks madhu & Usha.

Neel D
29th June 2007, 06:01 AM
Pick #495

Song: en kAthal maharANi
Film: Ithayam Paarkkirathu
Music: T.R.Pappa
Singer: T.M.Sounderarajan
Year: 1974

TMS has sung thousands of songs and hundreds of those are pure gems. And the rest are gems. There is not enough time in the world to sit down and enjoy his songs. TMS is a PhD research subject. May be someone has already done it.

Some lovely songs of TMS, I think, did not get enough attention. Today's song is one of those. A nice tune with simple lyrics turns into honey in TMS's voice.

"Ithayam Paarkkirathu" starred Jaishankar, I think. Have no other information about the film.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/en_kathal_ip.rm

gingerbeehk
29th June 2007, 07:54 AM
Romba arumaiyaana paattu. Ennai en ilamai kaalaththukey azhaithu poi vittathu. Neenga oru collection kadal. I think, it is composed by V.Kumar or Vijayabhasker. Innum niraiya nalla pattellam podunga thalavare. Nandri.

Jack

yvsmani
29th June 2007, 12:26 PM
TMS kuralil nalla ilamai therigirathu compared to so many 80's songs. kettathu pol gyabagam illai. Nice song, amaithiyaana music.
thanks Neel

yvsmani
29th June 2007, 12:53 PM
bhoopalam arangerum velai
pudhu santhosham sathiraadum kaalai -
may be an inspiration for kathiravanai paarththu song of pookkal vidum thoodhu, (music) ??

yvsmani
29th June 2007, 01:09 PM
poova pudhu boopaalam - enakku pudhu boopaalam aghavae aghi vittathu. PJ kooda SPS-aa??
a very very very rare song.

Neel : ramki thoththu poi viduvaar ena ninaikiren rare songs present seivathil... :lol:

madhu
29th June 2007, 03:30 PM
Hi..

hearing en kaadhal maharaani varavendum after a verrry loooong time ! :clap:

idhayam pArkiRadhu *ng Jaishankar and Jayachitra I think..

and I remember two more songs "yAnaiyin balam edhilE" by TMS & chorus and "eNNooRu ANdugaLil eNNuginRa eNNangaL" by PS and Kovai Soundarrajan.

SN23
29th June 2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Neel,

Thanks for the very good song by TMS. Idhayam PArkkiradhu's music was by TR Pappa. A.Jagannadhan directed the movie. Jaishankar acted as Blind person & violin artist. Very good movie. Unfortunately met with box-office flop. May be due to tragic end of the movie ??

Jai's violin background was scored by the famous violinist Kalyan. Kalyan played violin for the ever-melodious VJ's vintage Megame Megame.

Jaichitra acted as heroine. She came in swim suit in the song ennooru Aandugalil :-))

Murali Srinivas
29th June 2007, 06:07 PM
Idhyam Parkirrathu was Jai's 100th movie. Came in 1974,I think. Other details are as told by Madhu and SN23.

Regards

Neel D
29th June 2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Jack. You are a true 70s fan.

You are welcome yvsmani. Ramki is a malai. I cannot modhify.
pUvE song still remains a mystery. May be the Martian has details.

Thanks madhu. yAnaiyin balam is a nice song. I can't recall the other song.

Thanks for the details SN23. I have added it.

Thanks Murali.

Neel D
2nd July 2007, 04:12 AM
Pick #496

Song: vAnamum bUmiyum
Film: Deiva Thirumanangal
Lyricist: Kannadasan
Year: 1981

Another PS classic. A beautiful and majestic score by MSV enhanced by PS's powerful and sweet rendition. Need I say more?

The song sequence featured the exotic Sripriya with her friends. It was the Srinivasa Kalyanam part of the film that was scored by MSV.

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow07/vanamum_dt.rm

RR
2nd July 2007, 03:02 PM
Nalla paadal. I think raagam is suddha dhanyasi.

There's a SPB,VJ pOttip paadal type duet in this movie, right?

SN23
2nd July 2007, 04:49 PM
I full agree Neel. Real cassic number "vAnamum bhoomiyum Alinganam". Excellent singing with Gambeeram without a slight compromise on sweetness. Kodhaiyin idadhu kaN thudikkindradhu valadhu pAdhadhathai poonkodi thadukkindradhu... followed by lovely chorus. Oru komagan Thiruthotram varugindradhe... with extension of the welcome bell for Thirumal Srinivasar... I don't know how more express my love for this song. MSV... MSV thaan :-)

There is one more song for Sripriya by PS "Mannavan thannaiye marakka". Situation is: Padmavathy gets so attached to Srinivasar at her first sight. Thinks about him always... Not getting sleep, falls love-sickness. This song comes in the background with very less instrumental sound, fully depend on the voice, clarity and dhaba uNarchi in singing. Another top-class song by PS/MSV... but hardly aired. If you have that song, please host it.. Will be very thankful to you. Hats-off Neel.

Did you watch this movie? In Srinivasa Kalyanam, VaguLamAligai character (VaLarppu ThAi of Srinivasar) is very important. But damn it... spoiled by Vijayakumari. Otherwise Srinivasa kalyanam is really picturised well, may be good direction by Shankar. Other two Kalyanam's are so so.

RR: There is a SPB/SJ duet in VaLLi Kalyanam and a BMK/VJ duet in Srinivasa kalyanam. NO SPB/VJ duet.