PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the Week: Aug 2006 - Sep 2007

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

RR
3rd October 2006, 10:25 AM
Ramki,

Great pick 'thanthai thaai'.. I have been rewinding so many times that I just had time to post comments :P Asathal singing. What a singer NCV is!

BTW, is this a film song? Vere enna films-la paadi irukkaanga. Raj, any ideas?

A tidbit: my maternal grandfather is apparently a staunch fan of NSV (as told by mom) that he named my chithi Vasanthakokilam. But chithi is never fond of the 'kokilam' part and calls herself only 'vasantha'. :smile2: The 'v' part seems to have stuck though. She has named her grandchildren vaishnavi, viswa and varsha.

yvsmani
3rd October 2006, 05:03 PM
ilankuyil VJ paadiya arumaiyaana pattu Ilangaiyin ilamkuyil. Somehow, I could feel oldness in TMS's voice. TMS - VJ pair best song, i feel is ammanaai and chozhanin magalae vaa.

azhaghi oruththi - a rare PJ-LRE combination song. Is there any other song by the duo??

madhu
3rd October 2006, 09:38 PM
RR..

I think MKT and NCV sang "vasantha ruthu manamohanamE" in sivakavi. or is it "haridas" :roll: ?

Ramki
4th October 2006, 02:51 AM
RR, the song is from a private album.
According to my mom, she has sung the following songs:
enadhu manam thuLLi,kathiravan udhayam kaNdu and thottadharkellaam in Haridas and
navaneetha krishna in krishna vijayam.

My mom said that she was a good competition
for MS but unfortunately died at a very young age.

Ramki
4th October 2006, 03:03 AM
Pick #395

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/oru_mr.rm

Song: oru paarvai
Movie: Manoranjitham
Singers : TM Soundararajan, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: ?
MD: VKumar
Year : ?

Thanks to Bala for reminding this song. I have listened to it couple of times before but havent thought about it in years. Fortunately NeelD had the song and i got a chance to listen to it again.

I have no clue about this film Manoranjitham. According to JN there is a title song by SJ.

Actors?Was it even released?

jn
4th October 2006, 03:08 AM
Ramki: I have never heard this vasanthagokilam song. I loved listening to it. Apt pick for celebrating Gandhi jayanthi. I don't know where you get rare songs like this. Thanks.

When I listened to Ilangaiyin ilamkuyil today, I could remember the lyrics very well though I am listening to it after ages. It happens with only some songs you like. :) Looking forward to the other rare TMS and VJ duets in this week. :)

jn
4th October 2006, 03:12 AM
Ramki: I have totally forgotten about this oru paarvai nooru kavidhai song. My memory these days...hmm :(
Thanks to Neel. :)

I think the title song I told you about goes something like this:

manoranjithame manoranjithame
mangai ivaL?? ....mayakkum vaasanaiye....

balaji
4th October 2006, 06:49 AM
Manoranjitham had Vijaya Kumar and Sumithra. I doubt if the movie was released, but if it did, must have been released in 78-79

Thanks for the song

Bala

rajraj
4th October 2006, 08:16 AM
Ramki,

BTW, is this a film song? Vere enna films-la paadi irukkaanga. Raj, any ideas?

RR,
I don't think this is a cinema song. She died a few years after independence. Those days a number of singers were singing patriotic songs about independence and Mahathma Gandhi. I remember some songs - Gandhiyaippol oru saantha swarupanai, kaimaaRu seivadhuNdo, aadu raatte, vaazhga nee emmaan etc.

NCV popularised Sudhdhaananadha Bharathiyar's songs as DKP popularized Mahakavi Subramanya Bharathiyar' song . Some of his songs we sang in school prayer are:
sakala kalaa vaaNiye
aruL purivaai karuNai kadale
aasai kOnden vaNde
I think NCV sang these in concerts. They seem to have gone out of the concert circuit these days as many other songs. Two of the songs she popularised are:
yen paLLi koNdeer ayyaa (mohanam)
thanthai thaai irundhaal umakkindha thaazhvellaam(shanmukapriya)

I remember Haridas, Gangavathar and Venuganam where she acted. I think I will post some songs in NCV thread in MOY:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=761263#761263

RR
4th October 2006, 10:15 AM
Ramki & Neel,

Superb song (ragamalika - sri ranjani, sahana, etc)! Sounds unconventional for a V Kumar song, isn't it?

Raj, thanks. The other 'thanthai thaai' is an excellent one too. The moment she opens the starting line, you can feel shanmugapriya in full bloom. When I first saw PoW, I thought it was this one. :smile2:

gingerbeehk
4th October 2006, 12:23 PM
Nice song. After very longtime you have given chance to listen again this great. Anyway, what movie it is? Lyrics sound like pulamaipittan.

Pick #395

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/oru_mr.rm

Song: oru paarvai
MD: VKumar

Thanks to Bala for reminding this song. I have listened to it couple of times before but havent thought about it in years. Fortunately NeelD had the song and i got a chance to listen to it again.

I have no clue about this film Manoranjitham. According to JN there is a title song by SJ.

Actors?Was it even released?

jmahesh
5th October 2006, 02:21 AM
Ramki
Ilangaiyin Ilanguyil was a Ilangai vanoli favourite.It is a good song but at the same time Ilangai vanoli always gave it the top place in count downs even when there were other better songs than this one.
The other song ' Kopi thota ' was also quite popular with whose the black sheep.
The 'olichithiram ' of Pilot Premnath was also a regular feature in its programmes
details of'kopithota' discussion on dhool.com
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/586.html
I am listening to 'oru paarvai' after a very looong time.nice song.
Great picks in the last 1 month Ramki!

Ramki
5th October 2006, 05:36 AM
JN i pray that i can have your kind of memory when im at your age :)

RR the song reminds me 'naanandri yaar varuvaar'(maalaiyitta mangai)- same raaga?

Welcome back Mahesh.

Ramki
5th October 2006, 05:47 AM
Pick #396

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/pudavai_ss.rm

Song: pudavai kattikkondu
Movie: simma soppanam
Lyrics: vaali
MD: KVMahadevan
Year : 1984

One of Naaz's request. The song was aired for few weeks after the movie was released. I have never listened to it since.
I remember watching the song in Oliyum oLiyum(on the day the film was released). The song was picturised on saritha and sivaji.
I believe the film also had Sujatha and Prabhu.
SS could be one of KVM's last 10 films in tamil cinema.

NOV
5th October 2006, 06:22 AM
JN i pray that i can have your kind of memory when im at your age :):rotfl:
I wish I had YOUR memory now at my age :D:D:D

balaji
5th October 2006, 07:07 AM
KVM 60-s lirundhu veliyae varavillai enbhadhai prove Panniyirukkirar.

TMS - Mookalaye paadi vittar

VJ - Ennathan saivar paavam.

However, thanks for the song. Saritha appave Gunda than iruppar indha Padalil.

Bala

RR
5th October 2006, 09:37 AM
Ramki,

You are close. 'naanandri' is abhogi which is only a whisker away from Sriranjani - the raga of the pallavi of 'oru paarvai'. One thing I noticed after a more listenings of 'oru paarvai' is: all the ragas are almost pure without much of filmy dilutions. VK has done a good job.

'pudavai kattikkondu' - :( . Sounds too uninspired like some IR's 90's songs. Vj seems the only saving grace. Anyway let's wait for Naaz comments.

yvsmani
5th October 2006, 10:42 PM
oru paarvai nooru kavithai pattu kettu decades achchu. Thanks Ramki and Neel for this great treasure. Due to internet problems, I am unable to listen to this great song

yvsmani
5th October 2006, 11:00 PM
appadiyov..... oru paarvai pattai kettachchu....... somehow it reminds me chozhanin magalae vaa sundara thamizhae vaa....... I dont know why

jmahesh
5th October 2006, 11:02 PM
Nandri Ramki.
'Pudavai kattikondu ' kettadhae illai

Naaz
5th October 2006, 11:53 PM
Ramki -

After Naal Nalla Naal, you bring us Oru Paarvai Nooru Kavithai! What a fine juxtaposition of versatility! Interestingly, both by V.Kumar, who is always a pleasure to rediscover.

RR -

Admittedly, the duet is a downer. Adhu oru "random list" nnu solli konjam jagaa... :lol:

Sidebar:
While TMS, deservedly or undeservedly, gets his due share of criticisms, the equally aged and annoying latter-day Sivaji picks up a few wardrobe barbs here and there, and... that's it? How about we list those "mookkaaleyae" performances, too? Here's my title to start it off: Pon Oonjal :)

athi_suri
6th October 2006, 12:02 AM
elangayen elaam kuyel-is by vaali and not kannadasan.Infact all the songs in Pilot premnath is by vaali(dirn:ACT)

suri

jn
6th October 2006, 02:05 AM
What a way to start the song with VJ's fabulous humming! But then comes TMS' s humming mmhum..mhum...:(
Sivaji and Saritha jodiyaa?!!!
nalla vELai, padam paarkkalai. :)

jn
6th October 2006, 02:08 AM
JN i pray that i can have your kind of memory when im at your age :):rotfl:
I wish I had YOUR memory now at my age :D:D:D

Nov anna: I also wish I have Ramki's memory and expertise in tfm songs NOW and for ever. :)
Ramki: When you are my aga aa? You're getting there buddy... andha naaL romba dhooraththile ille. :) Don't worry, you will have better memory than me. :)

Ramki
6th October 2006, 04:25 AM
Thanks suri

JN adhukku innum 15 yrs irukku..appavum ungaLukku idhe maadhiri memory irukkum :)

Ramki
6th October 2006, 07:07 AM
Pick #397

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ulagam_pb.rm

Song: ulagam nee
Movie: pattum bharathamum
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
MD: MSviswanathan
Year : 1975

Thanks Neeld for sending this song. When another song from PB was featured in POW, (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=40527#40527) somehow this song was never discussed.
I think this song is for the (in)famous mayil dance by JL and sivaji.

Regarding the voices of TMS and VJ, both have very strong voice and sometimes it doesnt gel very well. PS had the perfect voice to match with TMS. VJ voice sounds very good with JC's. All IMO's :)

madhu
6th October 2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks suri

JN adhukku innum 15 yrs irukku..appavum ungaLukku idhe maadhiri memory irukkum :)

JN, Ramki : 15 varusham kazhichu indha thread-la naan vandhu idhai pathi ketpen.. rendu perum correct-a badhil sollanum :froggrin:

RC
6th October 2006, 07:54 AM
madhu: appayum neenga ippadiye kutti paapaava thaanE iruppeenga? :)

madhu
6th October 2006, 07:59 AM
madhu: appayum neenga ippadiye kutti paapaava thaanE iruppeenga? :)

theiryla.. :( oru vELai innum kuttiyooNdu paappava mAriduvEnO ennavO ? :P

RR
6th October 2006, 10:07 AM
Ramki,

This one is better :smile2: Raga sounds like Revagupti (S R1 G3 P D1). The song is somewhat similar to 'anbu nadamaadum' (right from prelude) but less creative.

I like KJY,VJ combination. I look fwd to a week for this pair.. !

madhu,RC: chat thread is elsewhere.. :twisted:

Neel D
6th October 2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the beautiful TMS-VJ songs Ramki.

"ulagam nI Adum" was given to me by sk. The credit goes to him.

New Rule #1 - If you can't stand by your song, then you cannot request it. (Naaz... :-) )

But I think that "pudavai katti koNdu" is a beautiful song. It was discussed in the VJ Songs thread couple of years ago.

Naaz
6th October 2006, 08:09 PM
Neel D -

When you compare Naal Nalla Naal and Oru Paarvai with Pudavai Kattikondu, the tune and the arrangement stands out as somewhat of a "downer." I do like the pallavi and the imagery of the first two lines, and I think I've said nice things about the duet in the VJ thread.
So - I stand by the song...without comparisons! :)

gingerbeehk
6th October 2006, 08:45 PM
Dear Ramki,
I would like to request the song " Athikaalai Neram" Movie: Naan Sonnathey Sattam, sung by SPB & SJ. I am searcing this song quite long time. I had found in coolgoose, but unfortunatly its dosn't works. Can you pls post for me, if you have.

Thanks,
Jack

jmahesh
6th October 2006, 09:45 PM
I think 'adhikaali neram' is by SPB & latha mangeshkar

tfmlover
7th October 2006, 05:55 AM
I think 'adhikaali neram' is by SPB & latha mangeshkar
its spb with asha bhonsle

natha1729
9th October 2006, 12:50 AM
RR, you said it. Anbu Nadamdum and Ulagam Nee very close, latter also sounds nostalgic, though I am hearing it first time! That particular raaga is fascinating. I think IR' most famous on this raaga must be "Malargalile Aaradhanai in Kaurumbu Villu. For this raaga, I am not sure if I felt that echo effect MSV brings to these like the effect you see generally in Hindi songs.

More such songs, please. Ramki thanks.

Ramki
9th October 2006, 04:42 AM
Thanks RR and others.

Ramki
9th October 2006, 05:28 AM
Pick #398

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/aeriyile_ks.rm

Song: aeriyile elandha maram
Movie: karaiyellaam shenbagapoo
Singers : SJanaki and co
Lyrics: GangaI Amaran?
MD: iLaiyaraja
Year : 1981

This week im going to host some pending(long?) requests. Let's start the week with meiappan's request.

KS was one another novel of Sujatha that got butchered by our directors. Was it the last Sujathas thriller that was made into a movie? The film has Prathap, Sripriya, Sounder and Sumalatha.
Manoramas 'kodiyile pudalangai' was the best part of the film.

'kalyana raman'(SPB, SJ) and 'aeru pudichacare'(PS, MV) are couple other famous songs from KS.

Indian cinema database says the film was directed by GN Rangarajan and the film was produced by sundari arts creation.

jmahesh
9th October 2006, 02:10 PM
Ramki I have seen this movie & remember the story line faintly.
Sripriya & Sounder live in a village.Prathap comes to the village armed with a guitar ( traditional portrayal of city bred youth coming to village those days),Sumalatha another city bred also comes to the village.In this village there is a marma maaligai & sumalatha gets killed.Prathap investigates & finds the culprit.
'Kaadellaam pichipoo karai ellaam shenbagapoo' sung by Ilayaraja is the title song

meiappan
9th October 2006, 03:21 PM
Thankyou Ramki.
I was looking for this beautiful song all around.
I am sure other users of this forum will find this song interesting as well.

Meiappan

RR
9th October 2006, 03:45 PM
Naaz has written on this movie, novel, songs in TFM Page magazine. Here it is: Part 1 (http://tfmmagazine.mayyam.com/jul06/?t=7322) (interview with sujatha), Part 2 (http://tfmmagazine.mayyam.com/sep06/?t=7844) (on sujatha, novel & story)

thumburu
9th October 2006, 05:22 PM
Contrary to what Sujata feels, I would rate IR's work "Karaiyellaam Shenbagapoo" as an offbeat , sort of experimental themmaangu cum western fusion works which was unique and markedly different from his own graamiya works in other BR/GA type of movies.

jn
10th October 2006, 02:15 AM
ramki: Thanks for Erilyile song. Reminds me of good old days. :) I used to tease my sisters with this song. :)

Ramki
10th October 2006, 03:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your response.

Ramki
10th October 2006, 04:58 AM
Pick #399

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/vaanam_n.rm

Song: vaanam inge mannil vandhadhu
Movie: nakshathiram
Singers : SJanaki , Jayachandran
Lyrics:Pulamaipithan
MD: Shankar Ganesh
Year : 1980

This is one of 53 requests of Rajes. Rajes sent me a neat excel file with a listing of songs she would like to listen in POW. This is one of the few i have with me.

Dasari Narayana Rao remade his telugu superhit 'sivaranjani'(Jaisudha, Hariprasad) as Natchathiram in tamil . I think the film was produced by Sripriyas mother girija. The film had sripriya, hariprasad, subhashini, Mohanbabu and many guest stars including sivaji, kamal and rajini. The film did well in tamil too. SG duo rehashed some of the original tues by Ramesh naidu.
(I prefer the tamil version of 'avaL oru menagai' compared to its original).
'vaigai karaiyinil oru paravai'(SJ) and ponnangani poothu vandhado(PS,SPB) are other good songs.

balaji
10th October 2006, 07:13 AM
The film did well in Tamil too ==> I memory says no. Scenes where Sripriya comes home late night and finds no food in the house the whole family sleeping soundly was widely criticized in all Tamil magazines. I think Sripriya will end up drinking water or something. In telugu it was a super hit no doubt.

the project in Telugu was dear that Dasari introduced Sujatha to Telugu as Sivaranjini

Thanks for the song

natha1729
10th October 2006, 08:12 AM
Ramki, the well of ilangai broadcasting cannot apparently dry up! so many songs coming out from your collections! Thansk

rajeshkrv
10th October 2006, 10:22 AM
the original of pow is navami naati vennela by PS & SPB is a class

vel1970
10th October 2006, 01:26 PM
JC sings extremely neat and sweet. I love this song just b'cas of JC. Thanks Ramki.

balaji: Actress Sujatha was introduced in a telugu movie called Girintagu or something like that. Not Sivaranjanai. SR role was played by Jayasudha in Telugu.

thumburu
10th October 2006, 05:27 PM
"vaanam keezhe" is also mildly based on Sivaranjini raga which is apt for this film. "AvaL oru" is a classical Sivaranjini

jmahesh
10th October 2006, 11:10 PM
Really pleasedto hear this song after a such a long time.Ramki I think there was a big prerelease hype with this movie but it dint do that well at the box office.Again the 'olichithiram' of this movie was a regular feature in Ilangai vanoli.
TFM home page right side corner irundha link yen edukapatadhu? :roll:

Ramki
11th October 2006, 03:14 AM
Thanks everyone.

Mahesh and Bala you both must be correct. Since the songs were popular, i was under the impression the film was a hit.

Bala, sujatha as sivaranjani?

Ramki
11th October 2006, 03:30 AM
Pick #400

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/katha_vmt.rm

Song: katha katha katha kandhane varuga
Movie: velum mayilum thunai
Singer : SPB
Year : 1979

Song requested by Raghuvaran.
Song can be listened just for SPB's singing and voice. He has not sung many devotional songs in films. Very few murugan songs in this not many.
I'm not sure if the song is part of kandha sashti kavasam but the song drifts into different tunes in the middle.

Indian cinema database says VMT had MRRadha and Baby subha(?). Film directed by Ra. sankaran

RR
11th October 2006, 10:49 AM
The middle part (from 'iru thodai azhagum') is from Shashti Kavasam and also the two 'saranam saranam' lines. Don't know about the picturisation, but the song would've sounded better if SG had not 'audio montage'-d it.

Raa. Sankaran is Mr.Chandramouli, right?

SN23
11th October 2006, 11:09 AM
Ramki: I'm not sure how reliable the info provided in this link about VMT. But I am sure there are 2 songs of BengaLoor RamaNi ammAL

1. With Serrgazhi Govindarajan "adhAram neeyE"
2. Solo... "mOdhagamum adhirasamum vaikkirOm".

http://www.cinesouth.com/cgi-bin/filmography/newfilmdb.cgi?name=velum%20mayilum%20thunai

gingerbeehk
11th October 2006, 06:34 PM
Simply the ever best melody of SG composed. There is in movie "NEEYA"(produces by saamundeeswari movies-Girija, sripriya's mother) also have nice JC song, but i don't remeber the song lines. Can u find that for me pls.

Ramki, u are really a person who collects thousand of rare melodies.

jack

Pick #399

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/vaanam_n.rm

Song: vaanam inge mannil vandhadhu
Movie: nakshathiram
Singers : SJanaki , Jayachandran
Lyrics:Pulamaipithan
Year : 1980

This is one of 53 requests of Rajes. Rajes sent me a neat excel file with a listing of songs she would like to listen in POW. This is one of the few i have with me.

Dasari Narayana Rao remade his telugu superhit 'sivaranjani'(Jaisudha, Hariprasad) as Natchathiram in tamil . I think the film was produced by Sripriyas mother girija. The film had sripriya, hariprasad, subhashini, Mohanbabu and many guest stars including sivaji, kamal and rajini. The film did well in tamil too. SG duo rehashed some of the original tues by Ramesh naidu.
(I prefer the tamil version of 'avaL oru menagai' compared to its original).
'vaigai karaiyinil oru paravai'(SJ) and ponnangani poothu vandhado(PS,SPB) are other good songs.

SN23
12th October 2006, 12:05 PM
Jack, I don't think JC had sung a song in NeeyA. I know only 4 songs from NeeyA

Ore Jeevan ondrE uLLam[VJ, SPB]
Naan Kattil MelE [PS, SPB]
Unai Etthanai pArthAlum [SPB, PS]
Oru Kodi [SPB, SJ]

Ramki: The host of starts appeared in Nakshatiram is a big list. Apart from Sivaji, Kamal and Rajini.... there were Vijayakumar, Jaiganesh, Savitri, KR Vijaya, Manjula, Prabha, Srividya, Pushpalatha etc etc. The film must have had a known hero and somebady other Sripriya as Heroine. Also with some more vigour in the narration, it might have been a hit :-)

madhu
12th October 2006, 07:19 PM
Hi Ramki

Velum Mayilum thuNai is a devotional film with kutti kutti stories.. Pandiyan and Radhika with piLLaiyar, Vijayakumar and Sripriya with madurai meenakshi..
... ( beautiful Vani jayaram song.. "paNdiya mannanin raajakumari") and ofcourse, M.R.Radha in double role with Baby Sudha with murugan..

In this song a child artiste ( ? ) is dancing in the dream of Baby sudha as Murugan.

SN23..

"Adharam neeye" and "mOdhagamum adhirasamum" are not two different songs. adhu orey songthan...Both M.R.Radha ( seerkazhi kural ) and Bangalore Ramani ammal sing this song in a kacheri.

gingerbeehk
12th October 2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your informations SN23, maybe i might mistake. But, in NEEYA all 4 songs were super hit in early 80's.

Jack

[quote="SN23"]Jack, I don't think JC had sung a song in NeeyA. I know only 4 songs from NeeyA

Ore Jeevan ondrE uLLam[VJ, SPB]
Naan Kattil MelE [PS, SPB]
Unai Etthanai pArthAlum [SPB, PS]
Oru Kodi [SPB, SJ]

Sanguine Sridhar
12th October 2006, 10:29 PM
Can anyone post me the lyrics for

"Oru Kaadhal devathai boomiyil"

from 'Idhaya Thamarai'

Music : Shankar Ganesh

Thanks in advance
Sridhar

Ramki
13th October 2006, 04:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the details.

Mahesh, I have been lazy in updating the tfmpage.com. I will start doing it again.

Ramki
13th October 2006, 04:21 AM
Pick #401

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/poon_tk.rm

Song: poonthendral isaipaada
Movie: thaiyin karunai
Singer : PBSrinivas
MD: GKVenkatesh?
Year : 1965

Song requested by Sarojini kaLidasan.

During my short stint in banglore, i was hooked on to kannada songs. Some of the Rajkumar, PBS and hamsalekha numbers became my favorites. The kannada version 'baathaayi bharathiye' (PBS) was one of them. I was not aware of a tamil version until i moved to singapore and started listening to oli.
The soft and melodious voice of PBS makes this song a classic.
It has hindustani touch and could be based on a hindustani raaga(RR?).

According to ICDB , Thaayin karunai had kalyankumar, muthuram, MVRajamma etc(rajamma must have played the karunaiying thaai). Film was directed by popular kannada director G.V. Iyer. But the ICDB says the MD is LVaidhyanathan. Im almost sure its by GKV.
Can someone confirm it?

The other song from TK that oli plays often is 'netru nadanthadhu ninaivaagum'(SJanaki,ALRaghavan)

rajraj
13th October 2006, 04:55 AM
Nice pick Ramki. I think it is in darbari kanada !

RR
13th October 2006, 12:05 PM
Ramki,

Good one. You are 100% right about PBS voice in this song. I'm also curious about the lyricist (nice job).

I too think it's Darbari.

rajutvs
14th October 2006, 09:12 AM
Back after sometime. The NC Vasantha Kokilam Song that is very famous one is "Nithirayil Vandhu Nindra Idam Konda Uthaman Yaarodi". This comes as a prelude to the song "Nilavae Ennidam Nerungadhae" in the movie Ramu. PS sings this bit..

jmahesh
14th October 2006, 06:21 PM
Nice song Ramki.Have never heard it before.
PBS kural indha paatirku romba porutham.

Ramki
16th October 2006, 04:20 AM
Thanks Raj,RR,rajutvs and Mahesh

Ramki
16th October 2006, 04:52 AM
Pick #402

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/jummendru_ss.rm

Song: jummendru naadham
Movie: sirikkum salangai
Singers : PSuseela, SPB

'siri siri muvva'was the first telugu movie i watched in a theatre(National theatre WMambalam). I was a small kid and did not know a single word in telugu. I still remember enjoying the film for the songs , dances and jayapradha.

Jayapradha, a Rajamundry girl , made her debut as a child artiste in 'apna desh'(hindi). She achieved stardom by playing a mute innocent danseuse in siri siri muvva. The film was remade in hindi as 'sargam' and she soon became an all-India star . Even before SSM, KBalachander gave her the lead role in 'anthuleni katha'(avaL oru thodarkadhai). anthuleni katha was also Rajinis first direct telugu film.

SSM had KViswanath's favorite chandramohan as the male lead. SPB in his recent concert in CA mentioned KV, whose films fetched 3 MD's their national awards, does not know much about music. He just has ears for good music.

SSM also had some good songs by KVM. SPB and PS sang all the songs. Todays pick was the most popular popular. 'Ganga nadhi' and 'uLLathu' and 'vaa vaa swamy' are other good numbers.

(Apologies for the poor audio quality).

balaji
16th October 2006, 05:30 AM
Arumaiyana Padal Telungil

PSusheela bagged the National Award, but poor SPB was left out. As we all know, he got his dues back in 1981 with a Narional award for EDKL.

The tamil version was also released in Rajakumari, PBazaar in 1980 I believe (the telugu movie did release as a noon show the previous year.)

Boring movie, great songs in Hindi as well. Dablli Waale was a super-duper hit. LP got the filmfare award for the movie Sargam in 1980.

Thanks
Bala

madhu
16th October 2006, 06:38 AM
Hi

SSM was released in Midland-Leo complex I think.. (appuram Theatre Jayapradha :cool: ayiduchu ). I think Hindi remake was more popular than tamil dubbing version in Chennai.

Ramki.. National theatre ? :roll: ippo ange niraiya American President mattum paakkalam.. I mean BUSH !

jmahesh
17th October 2006, 01:51 AM
Probably this song would have been nice in Telugu.This is the first time I'm listening to it & maybe it needs repeated listening to appreciate it.

Ramki
17th October 2006, 03:25 AM
Thanks Bala . I remember watching the matinee show in National.

Madhu appadiyaa? eppo indha theatre demolish pannanga?

Mahesh give it a few listenings , you might like it.

Ramki
17th October 2006, 05:39 AM
Pick #403

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/thanathu_iok.rm

Song: thanathu perum thiramai
Movie: isaikkoru kovil
Singers : PSuseela, SPB
Lyrics: Muthulingam?

Another song in KV-KVM-SPB-PS combo . This is a little piece of gem with excellent singing by PS and SPB.
I have not seen this film but would love to watch this song's picturisation. The classical dances in KV's films were extraordinary.
Thanks to KV, the dancing talents of Banupriya(swarnakamalam), sabita(saptapadi), Manjubhargavi(Shanakarabaranam), kamal-JP(salangai oli) etc came to the fore.
I read that in shruthilayalu(telugu original of isaikkoru kovil), it was a kid dancer(shrinivas?) who delighted the audience with his dancing skills.
The songs were delightful. We already saw 'sri ganananaatham' as a pick. Most of the songs were discussed then.
KVM-KV combo gave the best songs in telugu. I think swatikiranam(excellent movie) was the last film in their combo.

gingerbeehk
17th October 2006, 09:40 AM
Hello friends,
I am searching quite long time for following songs. Can some one please help me to post this songs?

1) SONG : GALIR GALIR ENDRU
MOVIE: DEVEDHAI
MUSIC: SHIYAM
SINGER: S.JANAKI

2) SONG : MANTHALIRE MAYAKKAMENNA
MOVIE: DEVADHAI
MUSIC: SHIYAM
SINGER: S.JANAKI

3) SONG: ATHIKAALAI NERAME....
MOVIE: MEENDUM ORU KATHAL KATHAI
MUSIC: ILAYARAJA
SINGER: S.P.B & S.JANAKI

4) SONG: KANNI VANNAM
MOVIE: AUTO RAJA
MUSIC: SHANKAR-GANESH
SINGER: S.P.B & S.JANAKI

Ramki, i am sure you can get all these songs for my favour.

Thanks friends in advance.

Jack

SN23
17th October 2006, 10:47 AM
Ramki: Excellent song from Sruthilayalu Tamil Version. Which is the telugu equivalent of this duet? Was it sung by SPB & VJ in Telugu, as I remember only one song by PS in Telugu original, that too a solo (Thela vArademo).

Cast includes Dr. Rajasekhar, Sumalatha, Naresh (Vijayanirmala's son - First film), Aruna, Master Shanmuka Shrinivas. Apart from this, Dance composer KV Sathyanarayana also took part in the film besides dance composition.

Many songs in this film was written Sirivennela seetharama sastry, brother of my close friend at Vizag.

In my view, siri siri muvva should have been released as it was, without dubbed dialogues. It would have received much more audience, as it happened in ShankarabaraNam. Jummandi nAdham is an excellent song, where PS takes us to the heaven :-)

jmahesh
17th October 2006, 11:08 PM
I have seen both telugu & tamil versions.It was a good movie , I am not sure if it was a hit in Telugu.This song is the climax scene song I remember.

jn
18th October 2006, 12:56 AM
Ramki: indha week telugu dubbing movies le SPB and PS songs aa? :)
rendu songs m nalla selection. dubbing pada paattu nalla amaiyaradhu konjam rare thaan. :)

jn
18th October 2006, 01:45 AM
gingerbeehk: "MaanthaLirE mayakkamenna" has already been featured in pow.
Here is the link:
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=168897#168897

Enjoy. :)

From Mars
18th October 2006, 02:51 AM
yaarO yaarO ellam dubbing pada paatu pathi pEsikaraanga :lol:

jn
18th October 2006, 03:29 AM
FM: dubbing padam paththi yaar venaa pesalaam. :)
Your realm is only dubba / unreleased movies. :)
dubbing nu oru word inge post aanadhum neenga varuveenga nu theriyum Ramkiku. :)

Ramki
19th October 2006, 03:55 AM
JN kittethatta andha madhirithaan :)

Ramki
19th October 2006, 05:53 AM
Pick #404

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/thirumagal_io.rm

Song: thirumagaL thedi vandhaL
Movie: iruLum oLiyum
Singer : PSuseela
Year : 1971

Puttana kanagal, the famous kannada director, directed 2 films simultaneously. Same story different languages. 'iddaru ammayilu' in telugu and 'iruLum oLiyum' in tamil. Both had Vanisree in lead.
In telugu Nageswararao and sobanbabu were the male leads, AVMRajan and Muthuraman were their tamil counterparts.

The story was mildly interesting. Vanisree a rich college girl teases and rags a fellow poor student muthuraman. She then pretends to be in love with him. When he learns the truth , he commits suicide.
The whole college turns against her. She runs away from the city and lands up in a village where she meets the second vanisree(dual role). The second one is a soft modest obedient girl with an abusive stepmom. 2 vanisrees switch places. AVMRajan, relative of first vanisree, falls in love with 2nd V.
After lots of masalas the film ends in subham.

The story was similar to seetha aur geetha, which came a year after IO was released.

Coming back to the song this is one of my favorite PS solos. Her amazing voice adds all the correct expressions to kannadasan awesome lyrics(esp the line 'keezhthisai vaasalil manasaatchi').
Only kaNNadasan can comeup with lines like 'uLLathil punnagai malarndhirukka'.

This is not a rare song but a good one. 'vaanile mannile' is another good number from IO

madhu
19th October 2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Ramki..

appo idhu dubbing week illa.. JN.. gavaningO!
IO was a super hit during that time..
SPB, Vasantha paadum innoru "thirumgaL" song kooda popularthan..

diwali special enna ? :roll:

gingerbeehk
19th October 2006, 09:05 AM
gingerbeehk: "MaanthaLirE mayakkamenna" has already been featured in pow.
Here is the link:
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=168897#168897

Enjoy. :)

Thanks friend...i got that 1 wonderful songs. But, i am still searching for other songs.

rajeshkrv
19th October 2006, 09:23 AM
the original kannada film was kaapu piluppu
which had Kalpana in the dual role..

Film had wonderful songs
E chendeda manayalli by PS is the kannada equivalent of the POW

yvsmani
19th October 2006, 01:28 PM
tfmpage.com open seithavudam 'thirumagal thedi' endru paarththu ada SPB, vasantha paadiya pattu ena ninaikku, POW open seithaal, ada PS solo... :lol: . idhuvum nallathaan irukku

jn
19th October 2006, 09:03 PM
Nice song ramki. Lyrics are better than the SPB and vasantha version. vaanile also is a good song. I think it is for the good Vaanisri. :)

Madhu: dubbing songs thaane. This is from dubbed movie, illiyaa? :)

Meerakrishna
19th October 2006, 09:51 PM
the original kannada film was kaapu piluppu
which had Kalpana in the dual role..

Film had wonderful songs
E chendeda manayalli by PS is the kannada equivalent of the POW

that kannada movie was puttanna kanagal's 'kappu bilupu' not 'piluppu'. kappu bilupu means black and white. and this movie has one more popular song 'amma ninna tolinalli kanda nanu'.

balaji
19th October 2006, 10:39 PM
Big Loss, great actress Srividhya passes away

Ramki

Can we have one song from her dubbed movie? Even Tamil version of "kootethe Kizikoodu(?)" was that "Oonjaladum Nenjangal" with Telugu MD Chakravarthy would be good with SPB-PS

What a great actress she was!

Bala

Ramki
20th October 2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone

Bala, I do not have 'oonjalaadum uravugaL' songs. I have been looking for it for long time.

Ramki
20th October 2006, 06:54 AM
Pick #405

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/deepavali_npm.rm

Song: deepavaLi deepavaLithaan
Movie: naan pudicha maapiLLai
Singer : chandrabose
MD: Chandrabose
Year : 1991

Mamanar celebrating the visit of mappiLLai , that too for thalai deepavaLi, is a rare phenomenon :).

The maPPiLLai-mamanar relationship shown in this cute film was very enjoyable. Stories that deal with such relationships are very unusual to our tamil films. Its shown mostly as parallel track(like in Karpagam), but not he main theme.

Janakaraj and NizhalgaL Ravi did a good job in their respective roles. Janakaraj is no Rangarao but given an opportunity he made good use of it .

Hey Happy DeepavaLi to everyone and special thalai deepavaLi to allo those pudhu mappiLLais :)

madhu
20th October 2006, 06:56 AM
Hi Jn..

"iruLum oLiyum" is not dubbed one.. remake appadinnu sollanum..

matha thread pakkam vara mudiyadha naNbaragaLukku ellam inge

DEEPAVALI NALVAZHTHUKKAl

yvsmani
20th October 2006, 12:48 PM
NPM had another good song maina maina pattathu raani nee paarthiyaa, I think iyshwarya sings this song. NPM had a good storyline and did well in the box office too after 'neengalum hero thaan'

yvsmani
20th October 2006, 12:50 PM
en idhayam kanintha deepavali nalvazhthukkal

jmahesh
20th October 2006, 11:21 PM
Happy Deepavali to all of you.

rajutvs
21st October 2006, 07:18 AM
Good song in Irulum Oliyum. Small difference in the story from the one quoted. The soft spoken Vanisri loses her father and is ill-treated by C.K.Saraswati. Except that they do not switch places this time. The arrogant one has been proposed to AVM Rajan but she does not expect AVM Rajan to be a literate because his family hails from a village. So the soft spoken goes there. AVM does not realise this but he knows of Muthuraman's suicide so he suspects the girl. Finally the arrogant one returns and likes AVM. FInally the arrogant commits suicide and everything is happy. I think this song comes in a golu song at AVM's house.

Good song from NPM. In fact Janakaraj is one of the better character artists of the comedy actors in the 80s and 90s. Did a very neat job of the role and in fact won the best character artiste state award from TN Govt. Atleast this award was a deserving one compared to the many that TN gov. gives.

madhu
21st October 2006, 07:48 AM
rajutvs..

golu song illa.. grahapravesam song ! :P

rajeshkrv
21st October 2006, 06:40 PM
it is not c.k.saraswathi, it was sundaribai as the step mother
and ramaprabha's Goodmorning sister was awesome..

gingerbeehk
22nd October 2006, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

I wish you all "HAPPY & PROSPEROUS DEEPAVALI"

I would like to request an beautiful song of 70's.

Song: Evalo Oru Pennaam Aval Naanilaiyaam.
Singer: P.Susheela
Movie: ?
Music: ?

I don't have much details about this song, I guess the movie is 'Mayor Meenakshi', i am not sure, but this song is simply superb. I am sure everyone will love this song. Can someone please post this song would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jack

Ramki
23rd October 2006, 03:52 AM
Pick #406

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/nalla_ir.rm

Song: nalla kanavanukku
Movie: iLaiyarani Rajalakshmi
Singer : vani Jairam
Lyrics: Poovai Senguttuvan
MD: MSViswanathan
Year : 1978

God is taking back his beautiful creations. His recent recall , Srividhya, was not only beautiful but highly talented. I had the opportunity to watch many of her malayalam films. Her talents were unmatchable. It is highly unfortunate that tamil film world did not utilise her talents, but whatever role was given to her she excelled. She was even made to act opposites to like of thengai srinivasan, koundamani, janakaraj, manivannan etc. But she always stole all the scenes she was in. Even if it was a walkin role, like in nammavar, she was at her best.

She had a miserable personal life. Her failed romance with kamalhassan, her unsuccessful career in tamil, her abusive marriage and finally cancer. Whew. She could never sing what her character sang in todays pick. Hope she will rest in peace finally.

(Thanks NeelD for providing this song)

gingerbeehk
23rd October 2006, 07:34 AM
Nice pick ramki,

Really an excellent song. Yes, i totally agree with you about srividhya,total south indian film industry has lost the wonderful star. I think she is not paired with big heros such like M.G.R, Sivaji (as per my knowledge, she paired with sivaji in "IMAYAM").

Jack

SN23
23rd October 2006, 01:31 PM
Anaivarukkum Deepavalai Nal vazhthukkaL :-)

Sweet-udan kooda soha news. Vidya's maraNam and her uyil (recently published by many dailies) kaN kalanga vaiththadhu.

I wondered at KeraLa Govt's State Honour during Vidya's funeral. GundugaL muzhanga dhaganam seiyapattadhu. I think JJ's govt honoured with full State mariyadhai for Sivaji and Gemini ganesan. But for Padmini's maraivu, MK's Govt did not do anything. Don't know the criteria behind "order for State honour".

Ramki, I thought you would host VeeNai endhu kuzhandhai (PS for Vidya in OonjalAdum UravugaL; MD: Chakravarthi). Beautiful composition. However, nalla kaNavanukku is also a good choice. Neat singing by VJ.

Question on "Her failed romance with kamalhassan"... what was that Ramki? First time I hear this.

madhu
23rd October 2006, 07:31 PM
:( cant say anything Ramki..
nice to hear the song .. but feel sorry for the actor ( or actress ?) !

Neel D
23rd October 2006, 10:45 PM
Ramki,

That was a nice tribute to the departed actor. The last time I read about Srividya was in a Kumudam interview 2 or 3 years ago. She had mentioned her financial troubles and the legal battle to keep her house from being taken by her ex-husband. An interesting fact she mentioned during that inerview was that she was paid a salary of only Rs.5000 to act in Apoorva Raagangal. Seems too small even for 1974. But she was one of those who put art before money.

Thank you for featuring the beautiful song "nalla kaNavanukku". It was quite popular when it came out. Heard it all the time on radio. But it has now disappeared along with many other songs of the 70s.

jmahesh
23rd October 2006, 11:35 PM
Nice song Ramki.There are so many VJ songs of that era which are slowly fading from memory.Most of them were VJ solos.
Its really sad that Srividhya is no more,a very talented person indeed.

jmahesh
23rd October 2006, 11:35 PM
Nice song Ramki.There are so many VJ songs of that era which are slowly fading from memory.Most of them were VJ solos.
Its really sad that Srividhya is no more,a very talented person indeed.

Ramki
24th October 2006, 05:18 AM
Thanks everyone.

SN23 , SV had openly mentioned in one of her interviews about her affair with kamalhassan. For undisclosed reasons that did not end in marriage.

What was written in her uyil?

Ramki
24th October 2006, 05:33 AM
Pick #407

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/varam_sm.rm

Song: varamthandha saamikku
Movie: sippikkuL muthu
Singers : SPB, SPShailaja
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Year : 1985

My friend has been requesting this song for a while. Somehow i kept postponing it.

'sippikkuL muthu' is not my favorite kamalhassan film. It was just ok to me. It was kind of boring to watch KH do an innocent, childlike role again. The second half was just dragging. I know the film is considered a classic by many..so add an IMHO to all the above statements :).
But like many KViswanaths films and most of IR's telugu albums, the film had awesome songs. Each song was a gem. Kudos to VM for the excellent lyrics.

rajraj
24th October 2006, 06:24 AM
Nice pick Ramki. Sounds like neelaambari often used for lullabies!

madhu
24th October 2006, 07:35 AM
Hi Ramki

I heard even kamal was not interested in dubbing the film "swathimuthyam". He felt uncomfortable with remake too...Thats why SPB dubbed his voice for him..

SN23
24th October 2006, 09:13 AM
Ramki,

Pls go thru the Daily Thanthi Link for Vidya's Uyil.

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=291951&disdate=10/23/2006

On Varam thandha samikku.... PS solo version of Telugu is grand even now. Even she herself could not bring in the same grandness in the dubbed version in Tamil.

I guess the sad version at the end of telugu original is also by PS (Background).

Ramki, do you really appreciate the lyrics of VM in Varam thandha samikku? what did he mean by padamaana laali idhamaana laali...? I just could not relish it :-(

Incidentally, I listened to Chitra's version of Kannada chippikkuL Muththu. Meena acted in Radhika's role and Sudeep (6'3" tall) for Kamal :-( Kodumai :lol: Chitra pAdi mudikaradhukku rombavE thiNari pOittAr. Moochu mutti pogudhu avangaLukku. It is my view, of course.

madhu
24th October 2006, 11:07 AM
Hi Sn23..

true.. niraiya songs-la other language version improved aga irundhalum.. sila samaythula original-ai thoda mudiayamal pogum.. idhu adhumadhri oru song.. ( of course in my opinion.. vadapathra sai song is certainly better than the tamil version)

VM can make wonders with words. But sometimes even he cant do justice when writing lyrics for a tune and a situation of dubbed films.

eventhough salangai oli song "thakida thathimi" is very popular in tamil, I feel telugu is really good. andha song-la "thaaLaana" and "raagaana" appdinnu vara idathula "tharikidathom" and "aaa..aaa..aaa" appadinnu SPB telugula paaduvar. But in tamil those words are coming as "enbEnA" and "en pEnA".

adhukku "tharikidathom" and "aaaaaa" appadinnu paada vendi irundhirukku.. enna seyya ?

jn
25th October 2006, 12:28 AM
Ramki,
Romba nanRi. :) I like telugu and the 2 tamil versions of this song. indha version radhika iRandhappuram varudhaa? SPB paadum podhu avaroda kural kamal ku suit aagudhu. but dialogues pesarppo, SPB oda voice kamal ku suththama suit aagaadhadhu pola enakku thONichu.
Another song in this movie which didn't get aired often:
pattu selai tharenunnu padagERip pOnadhenna maamaa by SPS.

paatu anuppi host paNNa sonnadhu maRandhuduchinu adikkadi remind paNNum pOdhu en peyaraiyum unakku remind paNNirukkanum pole. :) Thanks ramki. :)

gingerbeehk
25th October 2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Sridhar,
Here is your requested lyrics....enjoy it friend.

Jack

song : oru kAdhal devathai
film : ithaya thAmarai
singers : SPB, Chitra
lyric :
music : Shankar Ganesh

oru kAdhal devathai boomiyil vanthAL
oru kAdhal kAviyam kaiyOdu thanthAL
kaLLooRum kAlai vELaiyil...

(oru)

pookkaLin karuvaraiyil piranthavaL neeya ?
poovukkoru poojai seyya piranthavan nAnillaya ?
ithayathin thAmaraiyil iruppvan neeya ?
thAmaraikku veedu katti thanthavaL nAnillaya ?
OdOdi vanthathAl uLmoochu vAnguthu
un moochil allavA en moochum uLLathu
onrAnathu....

(oru)

yArukku yAr uRavu yAr arivArO ?
yen peyaril un peyarai iyarkayum ezhuthiyathO ?
pon magaL moochu vittAl poo malaradhO ?
poo magaLin vAi mozhiyae poojaikku vEdhangaLO ?
kalloori vAzhkkayil kAdhal yEn vandhathu ?
AgAyam engilum neelam yAr thanthathu ?
iyalbAnathu...

(oru)

from 'Idhaya Thamarai'

Thanks in advance
Sridhar

jmahesh
25th October 2006, 11:29 PM
I read in some magaziine that Kamal did not want to dub this movie in Tamil but wanted to release it in Telugu like the way Sankarabharanam was done.So he refused to dub for the tamil version.
Ramki,I was a bit surprised to see this song in this section as it is still a very popular number.There is no doubt that it is a good song.

Ramki
26th October 2006, 03:12 AM
SN23,
thalattu paadalgaL sariyaana texture-il irukkavendum. Labodhibonnu srikanth deva voicele kathinaalum othuvaraadhu, TRajendar madhiri azhudhu vadinju paadinalum saripadaathu.
Andha correct padhathaithaan VM sollirukkaar.
idhamaana artham ungaLukke purinjirukkum.

jn :)

Mahesh, i think the PS version,not this duet version, that is very popular.

Ramki
26th October 2006, 03:33 AM
Pick #408

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/aandavane_um.rm

Song: aandavane unnai vandhu
Movie: uruvangaL maaralaam
Singer : MSViswanathan
Lyrics: Vairamuthu ?
MD: S.V.Ramanan
Year : 1983

I usually do not favor MD's singing. During the early days of TFM, i was chastised by many for voicing this opinion :).
Its not like i hate all the songs in that genre. Take today's pick. I believe MSV is a very right choice. He adds that raw emotion to the song which could have been either over or underdone by reputed singers.
He sings for a father who learns that his son will die soon. The emotions should be of despair,sad and philosophical too. MSV does that very well with his unusual voice( Listen to the line 'naan thanimaiyodu vazhndhirukka gnanillaiye').
Speaking of lines, the lyricist has done a neat job in explaining the situation with simple words.

'vaanil vaazhum devathai' from UM was already hosted in POW.
Here's the link:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=237745#237745

RR
26th October 2006, 09:50 AM
Simple, neat song.

He adds that raw emotion to the song which could have been either over or underdone by reputed singers.
Seems to fit some Srikanth Deva songs also.. :lol:

jn
26th October 2006, 09:34 PM
ramki: enna ore soga mayamaa irukku?
MSV paadinadhile enakku pidichadhu unakkenna kuRaichal, nee oru raajaa, neraana nedun chaalai....idhaan ippodhaikki ninaivu varudhu. innum niraiya irukkum.

yvsmani
26th October 2006, 10:41 PM
srividhya ponathin sogam innum ezha mudiyavillai JN....
nalla nadigai... performed her best in all the roles.... innum thalapathi ' chinna thaayavaal' pattukku kovilai mangalakaramaana mugathudan sutri varum srividhya thaan gyabagam varuthu.
Jaya tvil newsil sonnathu - she was suffering from cancer for past 3 years endru.

MSV at his best in this song. vaanil vazhum devathai vida intha pattu arumaiyaana pattu

RC
27th October 2006, 02:01 AM
JN: MSV paadi arumayaana padal list-la
nee ninaithaal innErathilE
solla thaan ninaikkiren
enakkoru vidiveLLi en vaanilE
A song from Sivagaamiyin selvan
sErthukkOnga..

jmahesh
27th October 2006, 02:55 AM
Ungal opinion about MDs singing , naanum vazhi mozhigiren Ramki.
I used to feel more like this with IR.Of course there are exceptions .
Of MSV's songs my favourite are
1) Unakenna kuraichal-Velli vizha
2)Oro Oasai indri -Paritchaiku neramachu
3) enakoru kadhali-muthana muthalavo
the last one is an excellent duet with SPB

Ramki
27th October 2006, 04:35 AM
Thanks everyone

Mahesh, 'oru osaiyindri' was sung by JC.

JN i did not plan to make this a soga week but since you mentioned i will continue with another philosophical song :)

Ramki
27th October 2006, 05:02 AM
Pick #409

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/annaiyin_d.rm

Song: annaiyin madiyil
Movie: Devi
Singer :TMS
Lyrics: Palladam Maanikkam
MD: V.Dakshinamurthy

The passage of life described in very few lines. Other than kaNNadasan, not many as witten such hard hitting lines. I'm not famil iarwith Palladam Maanikkam's other works but he should be a talented poet who was not utilised well by our filmwallahs.

The lines

'thaanendra aanavathil naan
naanenum ahangaaram
pesiyavar indru ponadhenge'

will hold true for many.

Who are the actors in Devi? Is it a malayalam remake by any chance? Any other good song from Devi?

jmahesh
27th October 2006, 10:12 PM
Sorry Ramki,konjam confuse ayitaen.(effect of night shifts)

rajutvs
28th October 2006, 12:01 PM
Very sad on Srividya's demise. Wonderful artiste.. What a conveying eyes!! Still remember the climax scene of Kaadhalukku Mariyaadhai!! the scenes in Sollathaan Ninaikkiraen!! the climax song of Aboorva Raagangal when she realises that her husband has come.. Oh!! what a pair of eyes.. of course thalapathi and other movies are there.. but these come readily come to my mind.. Of course she had more challenging roles in malayalam movies and she did full justice to them..

Ramki
30th October 2006, 04:53 AM
Pick #410

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/megam_tt.rm

Song: megam thiraLudhadi
Movie: thaNNeer thaNNeer
Singers :SJanaki, Malaysia Vasudevan (and ?)
Lyrics: Vairamuthu

'Thanneer thanneer' was a landmark film in Indian cinema. KB took a documentary genre subject and made it appealing to everyone.
Saritha effortlessly carried the entire film on her heavy shoulders and gave an award worthy performance(but she lost it to smitha patil(chakra)).
The film also brought recognition to Radharavi, who was introduced by KB in Manmadha leelai.

The film had only 2 full songs 'kaNNaana poomagane' and todays pick.
A trace of dark cloud, a ray of hope brings smile to their parched lips, brings song in their thirsty hearts. They bring out their drums and urumis . But the sounds and noises scares the clouds and chases them away.

When i watched Lagaan, i was surprised with the Lagaan's first song which was very familar to 'megam thiraludhai' 's concept and excution.
It was too close to be a conincidence.

Regarding SJ-MV combo, I grew up with their songs. The late 70s had so many good songs in their combination that it became part of my childhood. This week i plan to host some of their songs. If you have a favorite , let me know(if you can please avoid popular songs). I will host it if i have it.

I have few songs in mind but i would like to hear your preferences.

rra
30th October 2006, 08:33 AM
Ramki: Thanks for the "Megam.." song. One of my MV-SJ favorites is "Malagale.." supposedly from Kizhakke Pogum Rayil.
RRA

jmahesh
30th October 2006, 03:20 PM
What an apt song for this season.
' SITUATIONAL' songsil ungalai adikka mudiyadhu. :)
There is one more song in TT sung by MSV.I dont remember the song , but its a background song when the villagers try to divert water by digging a vaikal from a river/ waterfall to their village.Saritha was very good in this movie.I think she also missed the national award for achamillai achamillai.
some suggestions for MSV /SJ week.
1) Karumbu vil - malargalile aradhani ( i used to confuse this song with kizhakae pogum rayil song.)
2)Magane magane- malligai poovukkul
3)Magane magane-madhu malargale
4) idhayathil or idam- kaalangal ( have a doubt you have already hosted)
5) sattam en kaiyil- aazhakadalil

yvsmani
30th October 2006, 05:43 PM
nee illatha pothu engum nenjam can be featured

saritha, KB ivargalai patri solla vaarthaigal illai ennidam. MSV's early 80s best filmsil idhuvum ondru. who can forget 'kannanana poo magane kannurangu sooriyane'

balaji
30th October 2006, 05:52 PM
Ramki

2 Songs that may qualify

1. Vaigai Neerada - GKV - Chinna Chiru Kiliye
2. Poove nee yaar solli - AARaj - Thaniyadha Thaagam

Bala

thumburu
30th October 2006, 06:30 PM
Let me throw my hat too. My suggestion is "neengaadha ennam ondru nenjodu undu" from "Vidiyum varai kaathiru" MD: IR. Such a lovely Kalyani based song

balaji
30th October 2006, 07:15 PM
Yvsmani

nee illatha pothu engum nenjam is by MV/Sujatha (Ilamai Kolam)

Bala

INIYAN 07
30th October 2006, 08:26 PM
Nee Illatha Pothu was by MV & Jency

From Mars
30th October 2006, 10:12 PM
vidiyum varai kaathiru is by GA :)

balaji
30th October 2006, 11:42 PM
FM:

VVK is by IR

BGM was very good for a Suspense movie

Bala

From Mars
31st October 2006, 01:31 AM
Yaa. I was confused. I'm loosing my memories :)

Ramki
31st October 2006, 06:35 AM
Thank you everyone. The requests for MV-SJ songs as seen here and through email is overwhelming. I have to sort through the list to pick some good numbers. Dont be offended if i do not host all your requests.
I also want to mix my selections with this. None of my selections have been requested so far :)

Bala i do not have both of your requests :(

Ramki
31st October 2006, 06:50 AM
Pick #411

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kannil_ne.rm

Song: kaNNil ondru kaNden
Movie: neruppukkuL eeram
Singers :SJanaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
Year : 1984

After the success of 'malayur mambattiyaan', thyagarajan acted in dozens of pictures that came and disappeared just like his son's recent films. 'NeruppukuL eeram' was one of them. It had ambika and urvasi with Thyagarajan. Todays song was aired frequently at the time of film's release.
Its a good song and kind of an unusual one for MV who mostly sang fast numbers or happy duets.
That was also the time when every other movie that released had IR's music. He managed to give atleast one good number for most of these unknowns.
If i remember correctly, 'kannil ondru' is the only good number in NE.

gingerbeehk
31st October 2006, 08:47 AM
Ramki,
Neruppukkul Earam is an one of rare pick, i think many of them never listen this song. Weldone and thaks for it. I have an request of MV/SJ combination.

Sengarumbu Thangakatti- Athai vida ragasiyam

Very nice folk based duet...can pls host that song.

Thanks,
Jack

balaji
31st October 2006, 03:59 PM
IR song without good interludes is not a good choice for me. Did GA arrange the music for this song?

Anyway thanks for the pick Ramki

Bala

MP
31st October 2006, 09:25 PM
Dear Ramki,

The ithazh irandum padattum song was neither filmed nor sung for padmini in 'Rani Samyuktha'. MGR definitely joins at the last tune of the song. This song is for somelady who is supposed to be a 'senathipathi's' wife in that film. MGR carries a very sad message that her husband was killed in the war.

Anbudan
MP

vel1970
31st October 2006, 09:47 PM
Both MVD and SJ are of extremes. Hard voiced and keecho-keech singers. Romba kashtamappa. Rasikkave muidyalai. Pls host some rare singers songs, Ramki.

RC
31st October 2006, 10:01 PM
kaNNil onru was one of my favourites those days and I got over it. The moment I saw NeruppukkuL eeram, I was able to recollect and hum few lines. Thanks for reminding this one, Ramki!

Though I'm not sure, the story goes likes this...
Thyagarajan comes back from Prison only to find that his sweetheart(?) oorvasi is now married to a police office (NizhalgaL Ravi(?) who has earned quite a few enemies) and has a kid. He stays with them, loses his eyesight for a while(I'm not sure) and in the end sacrifies his life to save the family.

INIYAN 07
31st October 2006, 11:21 PM
other rare songs of this combo will be:

Poovennmum kalgaloda poda talam poda naan paduven kathal subrapatham - Santana Malargal

Maane Manguyile - MAnaivi Solle MAnthiram

Kathal Oru RAgam - ???

Sanguine Sridhar
31st October 2006, 11:58 PM
Hi Sridhar,
Here is your requested lyrics....enjoy it friend.

Jack

song : oru kAdhal devathai
film : ithaya thAmarai
singers : SPB, Chitra
lyric :
music : Shankar Ganesh

oru kAdhal devathai boomiyil vanthAL
oru kAdhal kAviyam kaiyOdu thanthAL
kaLLooRum kAlai vELaiyil...

(oru)

pookkaLin karuvaraiyil piranthavaL neeya ?
poovukkoru poojai seyya piranthavan nAnillaya ?
ithayathin thAmaraiyil iruppvan neeya ?
thAmaraikku veedu katti thanthavaL nAnillaya ?
OdOdi vanthathAl uLmoochu vAnguthu
un moochil allavA en moochum uLLathu
onrAnathu....

(oru)

yArukku yAr uRavu yAr arivArO ?
yen peyaril un peyarai iyarkayum ezhuthiyathO ?
pon magaL moochu vittAl poo malaradhO ?
poo magaLin vAi mozhiyae poojaikku vEdhangaLO ?
kalloori vAzhkkayil kAdhal yEn vandhathu ?
AgAyam engilum neelam yAr thanthathu ?
iyalbAnathu...

(oru)

from 'Idhaya Thamarai'

Thanks in advance
Sridhar

Dear gingerbeehk

Thanks a lot dude!!! :) .... Thats a wonderful song! I just love it...

Ramki
1st November 2006, 04:24 AM
MP thanks for the info. I should have checked around before hosting the song :(

Vel, I'm sorry that you do not like the voices of these singers. But like me, there are many others who enjoy their songs and singing.

I sure will host songs by rare singers soon.

Iniyan i have the manaivi solle mandhiram song and Jack i might have sengarumbu. I have to check.

RC, thanks for the film details. Ambikakku enne vedam?

Ramki
1st November 2006, 04:35 AM
Pick #413

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/neengatha_vvk.rm

Song: neengaatha eNNam ondru
Movie: vidiyum varai kaathiru
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan

This song was requested by many. Neat song and i love the way SJanaki says 'ennanga adhu'.

I have not watche VVK but read that it was an interesting thriller by Bakyaraj. He also played a negative role for the 2nd time(and last?). Sathyakala was his jodi. Was this her first film?

Songwise i know only one another song 'pesu en anbe'(SPB, SPS).
Were there other songs?

Can someone provide a short review of the film? Thanks.

tfmlover
1st November 2006, 09:14 AM
ramki dear
'pls avoid populr songs nnu sollittu.. :D..intha paattu ?
haha
MP just reminded 'ithazh irandum padattum ' thanks .
ps fan club has the song wmv
not padmini nor ap komala its ts bhagavathy song
thanks

jmahesh
1st November 2006, 12:02 PM
I have seen this movie Ramki & faintly remember the story.
Sathyakala has a sisiter with whom she has petty quarrels.In one such occasion they have a n arguement & decide to have a competition when sathyakala sings and her sister dances to her song.
This is the 3rd song in the movie
'ABinayam kaatu nadai pottu
Ilaiyaval isaika, enai nee jeyika' sung by SJ
Her sister loses in this competition and in the heat of the moment she kills herself by jumping from a mountain.Sathyakala becomes mentally unstable after this.Bhagyaraj ( villain)comes into the scene pretending to be a good man and gets into the good books of Sathyakala's father and ultimately marries her.His aim is to get rid of her and get her properties.He tries various methods to eliminate her and these provide the thrilling moments in the movie.Karathe Mani is an inspectorwho suspects Bhagyaraj's motives and tries to catch him redhanded.In the last scene Bhagyaraj tries to kill her by pushing her off the mountain.In a turn of events Sathyakala gets cured of her mentalinstability and he gets caught.( I dont remember the final bit clearly)

jmahesh
1st November 2006, 12:06 PM
Ramki, tfm lover sonnathu pol ithuvum popular paatu thaane.That was the reason why i dint request this.
The version of Malligai poovukul I sent you is from coolgoose and the one from rajaecho tripod site also is short.

balaji
1st November 2006, 05:19 PM
Ramki

"Neengatha.." isn't by Vaali? (Pulamaipithan writes better IMHO)

I believe Satyakala acted in the "EENADU" remake. Wasn't she the call who will fall from the top of the building? Or was it Nithya?

Thanks for the nice song

Bala

yvsmani
1st November 2006, 05:31 PM
enakku gyabagam iruppathellaam, akka -thangai competition and intha padam maduraiyil- central theatreil 50 days odiya padam. intha duet somehow, enakku padathil paarkka saghikkavillai. :)

MP
1st November 2006, 09:52 PM
Ramki,

Can I request for one rare song. It is a SPB solo. the lyrics starts like
'Moongilile paatu isaikkum kattralaiyai thoothu vitten'.
I remember this song was written by Vijaya T. Rajendar(Simbhu's father, Magan thanthaikku aatrum uthavi!!??) before he got very famous...

If any of you have this song please post it. It is a wonderful song.

MP

vel1970
1st November 2006, 10:03 PM
Ramki, thanks for accepting my request to host rare singers songs.
For me too, SJ voice rombave pudikkum but MVD-udan serum podhu romba extreme-aha therigiradhu. You pls continue enjoying.

There is folk song in Thanneer thanneer sung by A.Kasthuri "manathile nee irukka maduraiyile naan irukka". Classic folk. Irundhaal, host pannugal please.

jmahesh
2nd November 2006, 12:30 AM
YVSMANI, naanum indha padathai madurai centralil thaan parthaen

INIYAN 07
2nd November 2006, 01:14 AM
Moongilile Pattu Isaikum is from Ragam Thedum Pallavi. Music by T.Rajendar. Shankar acted in this movie. Loved watching this film. Another good song is "Parkadalil Tattalittu Nan Edutha Muttu Ondarai Viliyavan Paritatu Yen".

Meerakrishna
2nd November 2006, 02:08 AM
Ramki thanks for the beautiful songs of SJ and MV. Very long back I heard a song 'poongkuyile poongkuyile na eppona nalaga engininde na alanga kanni ponnu needha en raasa kannu'(sorry I dont know tamil). I dont know the movie,super duet of sj and mv. If you know about this song please give the details. Looking more songs.

Thanks
Meera

Naaz
2nd November 2006, 06:21 AM
Ramki -

Thanks for choosing this duo! I am sure you will present some non-IR tunes also? The Neruppukkul Eeram duet...hearing it after nearly 15 years! I look forward to the other duets in this line-up.

The mention of Paarkadalil Thaththaliththu brings to mind another TR tune: Azhaginil Vilainthadhu, Mazhaiinil Nanaivadhu, Manadhukku Sugam Tharudho...Ammammo (from Kilinjalgal?) Even if TRs tunes (a good chunk of them) merge and blur each other, there is a simple and charming memorability to them. Hint! :D

Ramki
2nd November 2006, 07:24 AM
Ok Ok :) I know its not a rare song but since it received maxinum no of requests i thought i should host it. sorrypaa :))

Forgot to response some older posts.

TFMLOVER:
I read kannadasan passed away after writing half a song for Thanneer Thanneer. VM was then approached to complete the songs.

Mahesh, 'madhu malargaLe' was already hosted in POW. check the archives.

Bala, the CD i have says PP is the lyricist for 'neengaatha'.

Iniyan 'aazhkadalil thathaLitthu' already featured in POW. check out the archives.

MeeraKrishna, the line 'naan aaLaana kaNNi poNNu' sounds familiar but unable to recall the first line.

Naaz i started the series with a non IR song and will host few other non IR songs soon.

RC
2nd November 2006, 08:50 AM
innaya Quota ennachu Ramki? :)
In Neruppukkul eeram Ambika pathi sariya gnabagam illa Ramki...

rajdes
2nd November 2006, 11:51 AM
MP, In TR's case, I dont think Magan Thandhaikku has worked out. Infact, it is TR who has done Thandai MAgarkaatrum udhavi by making simbu "Avaiyathu mundhi iruppa seyal". Simbu hasnt done anything of note to make TR proud yet - no ,no, a chauvinistic, crappy manmadhan may be his personal best but it doesnt qualify as even a decent tamil movie - and so far, it is TR's name and status that has given Simbu his initial break. The max Simbu has done is to create some hype for himself to keep floating - that doesnt count as "ivan thandha ennotran.." :-)

jmahesh
2nd November 2006, 04:08 PM
'neengatha ennam ondru' innum ungal ennathai vittu neengavillaya?( pudhu pick ondrum illai) :roll:
Naalaiku rendu paataha host pannividungal

SN23
2nd November 2006, 04:49 PM
IR-SJ-MVD combination gave lots of gifts to music lovers. But the Kizakke pogum rayil song "malagaLe nAdha SwarangaL..." ever remains the top of the crown. Rich interludes with different vAdhyams, Great hum-stretches by SJ, MVD's powerful singing and Chrous's beautiful effort are some of the attributes of the lovely song. EvLo thadavai kEttAlum salikkAdhu !

But I know, Ramki host paNNa mAttAr (reason is... IT WAS NOT RARE) :-)

MP
3rd November 2006, 01:16 AM
Iniyan,

Thanks for reminding the film name!
I was about to request for both...But felt to ask one by one :lol:
BTW, I think the other song starts with
"Azhlkadalil thathalithu naan edutha muthu onrai"

MP

Ramki
3rd November 2006, 07:22 AM
ennappa idhu rare illatha song host pannaalum thappu pannataalum thappaa? :))

gingerbeehk
3rd November 2006, 07:42 AM
ennappa idhu rare illatha song host pannaalum thappu pannataalum thappaa? :))

Ayya Ramki,,, Pothu vazhkkaiku vanthita palavitha solladigalai vangithan aaganum...athai patti ellam kavalai padama unga kadamaiyai seyyunga. Unga sevai intha rasiagargalukku thevai. Naan unga pakkamthan. Kavalayai vidunga...kadamayai thodarunga...

Jack

Ramki
3rd November 2006, 07:55 AM
Pick #412

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/poove_td.rm

Song: poove nee yaarukaaga
Movie: thaniyaadha dhaagam
Lyrics: Uma Nagabushanam
MD: A.A.Raj
Year : 1982

One of the best duets by this duo. SJ mesmerises us with her alluring voice and sensual singing. The humming, the laughter and the slight sound of breath she makes after the line 'ivaL ponnudal sivakkatuum en karam pattu' are just vintage SJ.

'thaniyaatha dhaagam' was directed by Ibrahim, whose debut film 'oru thalai raagam' broke many records and became a super duper hit.
Thaniyaadha dhaagam had the guy thumbu from 'oruthalairaagam', 'paalaivanacholai' with subhadra(second heroine in 'nizhalgaL') and Delhi ganesh. The film could not quench the thirst of audiences and disappeared from theatres like the rain clouds in our first song of the SJ-MV series.

A.A.Raj was the co-MD for oruthalairaagam. Vividhbharathi use to announce both TR's and AAR's name during the initial days of OTR.
But TR disassociated himself from the OTR crew and claimed credit for songs , story etc.

Im not aware of other films by AAR.
'avaL oru mohana raagam'(SPB) is another good number from TD.
I'm not sure if Uma N wrote all the songs in TD. Her(or his?) lyrics for 'poove nee' should have fetched more opportunities, but i don't think that happened.

balaji
3rd November 2006, 08:08 AM
Arumaiyana Padal Ramki. A-la Shyam-ish song.

Indha Padal ungalidam Illai endravudan I got disappointed

Thanks for hosting it.

I thiks AARaj gave some devotional albums, if I am correct.

Should have got a couple of films for this song alone

Thanks once again

Bala

Meerakrishna
3rd November 2006, 01:02 PM
Ramki, I was searching for this song since long time. Thank U so much for this beautiful song. SJ voice is chooooooooooo scweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

SN23
3rd November 2006, 01:42 PM
Badam Halwa, Cashew Halwa, Jamun, Rasgulla, Mysorepak etc etc ellam sErndhu kalandhu oru sweet treat koduthu irukkar SJ. Beautiful song. Ramki should have hosted this for Diwali :-)

Is this the same AA Raj scored music for Udayam Agiradhu? Naan unai mandradinEn (SPB+SJ??) is a nice duet in that movie.

gingerbeehk
3rd November 2006, 01:45 PM
Kalakkithhenga Ramki, romba arumaiyana padal. Nandri.

MP
3rd November 2006, 08:56 PM
Wonderful song. Somehow I used to reminded of another song, "Kanni vannam roja poo...' from Auto Raja, whenever I listen to this song!!??

madhu
4th November 2006, 04:18 AM
:musicsmile: :swinghead:

jn
4th November 2006, 05:56 AM
Ramki: "poove nee yaar solli" is the best among this week's picks. :)

Naaz
4th November 2006, 07:18 AM
Ramki -

An evergreen duet! How sensuous SJ is when she finds a tune within her comfort zone! MVD guards the melody's tenderness with a quiet, masculine foil.

And thanks for the "aazhkadalil" correction. My sea of forgetfulness gets deeper by the day!

Naaz
4th November 2006, 07:18 AM
Ramki -

An evergreen duet! How sensuous SJ is when she finds a tune within her comfort zone! MVD guards the melody's tenderness with a quiet, masculine foil.

And thanks for the "aazhkadalil" correction. My sea of forgetfulness gets deeper by the day!

umaramesh
4th November 2006, 01:37 PM
Hi

Nice melody from SG

Song: KALAI MAAMANIYEE SUVAI MAANGANIYEE.

Singers: Jayachandran/VJ

please upload this song incase you have not done it earlier. I am not able to remeber this movie.

regards
ramesh

madhu
5th November 2006, 05:54 AM
Hi

Nice melody from SG

Song: KALAI MAAMANIYEE SUVAI MAANGANIYEE.

Singers: Jayachandran/VJ

please upload this song incase you have not done it earlier. I am not able to remeber this movie.

regards
ramesh

Its from paNam peN pasam

vel1970
5th November 2006, 05:18 PM
Ramki, Poove nee is really a good song with vintage melody. Still I feel PJC could have done much better than MVD. SJ sang very well of course.
:-)

Ramki
6th November 2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Ramki
6th November 2006, 08:04 AM
Pick #413

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/unakku_mp.rm

Song: unakku mattum
Movie: manappanthal
Singer :PSuseela
MD: Viswanathan Ramamurthy
Year : 1961

Some artistes are not cut out to be leading actors. They sail through their entire career playing supporting roles or second level her/heroine.
The beautiful EVSaroja is one of them. This cute actress who made her debut as MGR's sister in 'en thangai' never achieved the heroine status but made people notice her even in supporting roles.

Also some good songs were picturised on her.

'vaanga machaan vaanga'(madhurai veeran)
'kaaNa vandha kaatchi enne'(bhakyalakshmi)
'paadatha paatellam'(veerathirumagan)
'kodi kodi inbam perave'(aada vandha deivam)
'vindhaiyilum vindhai'(padikkaatha medhai)
'neeyum naanum ondru'(koduthuvaithavaL-she was the heroine in this MGR film)
'sokka potta nawab'(kulebhagavali)

Even in Manapandhal she played the second heroine , who falls in love with SSR. Sarojadevi and Asokan played other important roles. Though 'unakku mattum' is the only song that was picturised on here, IMO this is the best song in this film.
HINDU says she acted in more than 40 films and danced in around 100 films including a sinhalese film.
EVSaroja passed away yesterday. She was 70. Though Hindu had an article of her death, her obituary listing in HINDU was as simple as the actress. She was identified as Mrs saroja Ramanna and there was no mention of her as an actress.

rajraj
6th November 2006, 08:30 AM
Good choice Ramki!

E.V.Saroja was a bharathanatyam dancer first like the Travancore Sisters(Lalitha, Padmini and Ragini) and Vaijayanthimala. She was trained in Pandhanallur style and was considered a child prodigy, if I remember correctly. None of the newspapers mentioned her bharathanatyam.

Neel D
6th November 2006, 10:17 AM
Nice song Ramki. Thanks.

There is a beautiful dance by two ladies for the song "vetkamAi irukkudhadi" in Paar Magale Paar. Is one of those E.V.Saroja?

S.Balaji
6th November 2006, 05:42 PM
Ramki

EVSaroja also featured in Padikatha medhai , as daughter of SVR .
There is a song also by Nadigar thilagam teasing her - Seevi mudichi singarichi ...............

EVS also sings a song - Aadi pizaichalum paadi pizachalum ......

Sad to hear about her news

In Bagyalakshmi , she was the heroene , though Sowcar also plays a dominant role

There is a lovely song in Bagyalakshmi for her - Kadhal endral aanum pennum iruvar vendumandro , illamal edhuvum ilayandro ( AlRaghavan & PS )

thumburu
6th November 2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for hosting this number Ramki. EVS was one of those rare , peerless beauties with a grace that could be matched by only very few. Though there were many unforgettables, I would rate her dances in "Aada vandha deivam" as immortal. Another bright star has fallen into the cruel arms of death.

MP
7th November 2006, 03:38 AM
Very sad to hear the demise of EVSaroja. I have enjoyed her dancing in many films. In Bhagyalakshmi there is one more song picturised on her. It is 'Kadhal enum vadivam kandean...Karpanaiyil inbam kondean...malai idum naalai enni mayangugirean Asai kanni...'
MP

Ramki
7th November 2006, 04:23 AM
Thanks everyone.

Neeld, the other artiste in 'vetkamai irukkudhadi' is Pushpalatha.

Ramki
7th November 2006, 04:42 AM
Pick #414

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/polladha_sm.rm

Song: polladha maaya kaNNan
Movie: swarnamukhi
Singers :Chitra, Gajendran
Lyrics: agathiyan?
MD: swaraj
Year : 1998

This is a lovely solo by chitra who enriches the song with a playful teasing voice. The song also has some good interludes by 2 film wonder swaraj.
swarnamukhi had Devyani, parthiban and Prakash raj in principal roles. The screenplay was first published as a thodarkadhai in vikatan(or kumudam?). The film was directed by thootachinungi fame adhiyamaan. The film did not do well .

Swaraj first film was 'murai mapiLLai'(arunkumar/arunvijay's first film). I remember listening to his interview in Oli. He hails from Msia and was then trying hard to find recognition in TFM.

'neeyaaga pirindhadhu aen'(janani), 'poovum malarndhida'(SPB, Swarnalatha) are other good songs from SM

RR
7th November 2006, 11:13 AM
Ramki,

Have been longing to listen to this since I saw the movie. Thanks. The movie actually starts with this song.

The movie was kind of an extreme thyagam-everything-for-lover type story. Parthiban did a good job (made for him role). Prakashraj was totally out of place. I guess for his part he sacrificed his role itself!

yvsmani
7th November 2006, 04:30 PM
ramki ,
I believe swarnamukhi was a hit. It came as a thodarkathai in vikatan only. some chithra's solos are awesome including this one, 'chinna chinna kanavugalae' - thuraimugam, 'kannomoochchu enaada'- KK, 'idhu thaana' - saamy, the latest addition being 'aruviyoda aruviyoda' from paasa paravaigal etc.

Nakeeran
7th November 2006, 04:50 PM
This song somehow resembles - Nilave ennidam nerungadhe

Is it bageshri Raag by chance ?

thumburu
7th November 2006, 05:56 PM
Nakeeran, it may be Raageshwari or even Naatakurinji which is also close to Bhageshri

thumburu
7th November 2006, 06:03 PM
Wait, it also looks like SriRanjini. May be experts should clarify whether it is SriRanjini/Bhagesri/Raageshwari.
Wonderful pick!! :)

Nakeeran
7th November 2006, 06:14 PM
Wait, it also looks like SriRanjini. May be experts should clarify whether it is SriRanjini/Bhagesri/Raageshwari.
Wonderful pick!! :)

Oh !

Thumburu, if you cant, then who can ? :D

My first impression was Bagesri somehow . It also resembled like Mayakkum malai pozudhe nee po ( gulebagavali ) & this prompted me

jn
7th November 2006, 10:03 PM
"unakku mattum" - Nice pick...
All the yester year stars are going one by one.... So sad. :(
I am listening to today's pick for the first time. I am slowly getting addicted to it. :) Thanks Ramki.

Ramki
8th November 2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Do i aslo detect some similarities with 'naadhemenum kovilile'?

Ramki
8th November 2006, 06:52 AM
Pick #415

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/tamizhisai_hk.rm

Song: tamizhisai mazhai tharum
Movie: Harikrishans
Singers :KJYesudoss, Chitra, Unnikrishnan
MD: Ouseppachan
Year : 1998

Singers from 3 different generations come together for this malayala dubbing song(Where do we get songs with swarams in tamil nowdays?). I believe in malayalam the song was sung by sreekumar, chitra and KJY.

Director Fazil is one of the best directors in Indian cinema. But in the past 10 years he has not given any good films. Some might say 'kaadhalukku mariyadhai', which IMO is an average film but with a fantastic climax scene. Even in Malayalam, apart from Vismayathumbathu(Mohanlal, Nayantara) I have not read any good reviews on his recent films.

Im not sure about the commercial success of 'Harikrishans', which had a stellar cast including Mammooty, mohanlal, juhi chawla, but the film was thrashed by critics. But as like all Fazil films , this one too had some good songs. You can listen to the malayalam version of the songs in all famous music websites.

rajdes
8th November 2006, 08:30 AM
Harikrishnans was the one with (supposedly) two climax versions right? With Mammootty getting the girl in his strongholds(Malabar etc) and Mohan Lal in his(Trivandrum etc). Wasnt a great movie by any standards I guess. Which song is this in malayalam?

Nitya
8th November 2006, 08:47 AM
Harikrishnans was the one with (supposedly) two climax versions right? With Mammootty getting the girl in his strongholds(Malabar etc) and Mohan Lal in his(Trivandrum etc). Wasnt a great movie by any standards I guess. Which song is this in malayalam?

In Malayalam, this song is "Samayamithapoorva Sowbhagyam..." the semi-classical number.

RR
8th November 2006, 02:55 PM
This song uses some not-so-often-heard ragas: Navarasa Kannada ("naan oru vilayaattu bommaya' ragam), Begada and the KJY part is in Sahana.

Haikrishnans was a typical mallu-style murder mystery. Neither too good nor too bad. A time pass movie that required no fazil,mammoty,mohanlal combo.

Ramki, 'pollaatha' should be Bageshri or Sriranjani (which is the raga of 'naadhamenum kovilile'). Experts from mars can clarify :smile2:

From Mars
8th November 2006, 11:03 PM
RR :)

RC
9th November 2006, 12:25 AM
sirichaa pOdhumaaa.... karuthu sollunga FM! :)
UK sounded different when the song starts....

From Mars
9th November 2006, 10:33 AM
RC, naan karuthu solli enna aaga pOvuthu :)

Actually it has shades of both Sriranjani and Bageshri( This is the expert opinion, not mine :lol:)

SN23
9th November 2006, 01:14 PM
Unakku mattum: For quite a long time I thought this song was on Saroja Devi. Very nice song except that "rehasiyam" instead of Ragasiyam :-)
EVS had beautiful eyes like SriVidya; may be Vidya was another EVS not becoming highly-popular artiste.
VetkamAi irukkudhadi from pAr MagaLE pAr is for Vijayakumari and Pushpalatha. Not EVS. VK danced like a man :lol:

Polladha maaya kannan: I also think it is in Bageshri. Very well sung by Chithra, with ever-green punnagai :D

Thamizhisai: Here UK's voice is so femalish and I never enjoyed his songs incl PoovukkuL oLindhirukkum. He shoudl have stuck with only Carnatic music, IMHO :cry:

jmahesh
9th November 2006, 01:27 PM
I heard that HarikrishnaNS was an average movie at the BO as well.( 100 days in big cities in Kerala)

rajraj
10th November 2006, 12:03 AM
Unakku mattum: For quite a long time I thought this song was on Saroja Devi. Very nice song except that "rehasiyam" instead of Ragasiyam :-)

I heard it as 'rahasiyam' which is correct! :)

aruvi
10th November 2006, 03:19 AM
The audio of Harikrishnas was very good. At that time, the CD version came with Padayyappa songs. People enjoyed HK more than Padayyappa. I think, with more marketing/publicity, the songs would have reached a bigger audience even though they were for a dubbing film.

Personally, I liked the Ponnambal song. The Malayalam version of Thamizh Isai is great.

I too lament that Fazil has not had a big hit in recent times. His last 2 films in Tamil were disasters. I hope he comes back with some great films.

Ramki
10th November 2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Did UK sing for Lal or mammooty?

Ramki
10th November 2006, 06:04 AM
Pick #416

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ulagin_tp.rm

Song: ulagin mudhalisai
Movie: Thava Pudhalvan
Singers :TMSoundararajan, PBSrinivas
Lyrics: kaNNadasan/PBSrinivas
Year : 1972

Couldn't think of any other song to conclude this 'swara' week. An enchanting jugalbanthi by TMS and PBS. PBS easily wins TMS with his melodious voice and humming. TMS voice kind of quivers in the initial and final phases of the song. I think the song was picturised on Sivaji and Balaji(I could be wrong).
I always wonder why MSV stopped using PBS in the mid 70s. He still had a good voice and could have sung some of the songs that went to KJY or SPB. I can easily imagine PBS singing 'deivam thandha veedu' :).

The song quality is so so. It was reproduced from a cassette and i didnt have the patience/time to make it sound better :)

SN23
10th November 2006, 12:13 PM
In 1972, Sivaji gave super hits films like Raja, Gnana OLi, PattikAdA PattaNamA, Vasantha Maligai. Also a super flop movie Dharmam EngE + Average run films Thava Pudhalvan (it was not a hit, if I am correct) and Needhi.

In TP, colour blindness (OR mAlaikaN nOi?) was the centre of the story and very well plotted. Pandari bai was his mother gave an excellent support.

TP had kalyANi based all-time hit solo of TMS "isai kEttAl puvi asaindhAdum" and English-Thamizh duet "loev is fine darling" by Ajit Singh and LRE besides this Thamzih-Hindi male duet. Surprisingly no song for the heroine KRV, through she appeared in the Isai kEttAl dream song based on ThAnsEn.

Ramki, As you said PBS had good voice even in early 70's. Why no MDs were using him :-(

Did PBS gave voice for Balaji in this song? or someone else from Bollywood?

RR
10th November 2006, 02:46 PM
Ramki

You picked another one that I was thinkig about recently. Great song (despite TMS). I think one of the excellent example how PBS could sail thru even tough phrases without showing a hint of discomfort in his voice.

Is 'kannan koyil paravai' in the swara pick list?

yvsmani
10th November 2006, 11:22 PM
I too like ponnambil more than all other songs in harikrishna and it got more TV time than any other song. I too got it alongwith padaiappa cd only.

rajutvs
11th November 2006, 10:52 AM
The DP song was picturised on Sivaji and Tikkurisi (mallu actor).. Its a potti song..

Ramki
13th November 2006, 05:09 AM
SN23, i think sivajis character suffers from 'maalai kaN'. I remember watching the 'kingini kinginyene varum' song. He will fall in the middle of the song and the kids will laugh and TMS will start crying :)

RR andha song illaiye en kitte:(

Rajutvs thanks.

Ramki
13th November 2006, 05:35 AM
Pick #417

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/iru_cmpm.rm

Song: iru vizhigaL thirandhadhamma
Movie: chinna muL periya muL
Singers :SJanaki, Jayachandran

Rajbharath is one of the few directors who handled crime subjects very well. I enjoyed his uchakattam and CMPM too.
CMPM had shanthikrishna, srinath and babyanju. Though SK had the author backed role its baby anju who will steal the show.
I watched CMPM 2 years back in raj tv. I watched the film mainly for todays pick. The song was aired couple of times during the film's short life in the theatres. It caught my attention but the song vanished from the airwaves very soon. So when i got the opportunity to watch the film i was eager to listen to the song again. Unfortunately the song was not shown. Im not sure if the song was not picturised or the channel edited the song :(.
But i was glad the film was interesting. It was also very short. The film had one more solo by SJ 'iravil ore nilavil'.
Until i saw the film i was under the impression that the music was by either IR or GA. The interludes are very IRish. I was surprised to see SGs name in the title.

balaji
13th November 2006, 07:25 AM
Until i saw the film i was under the impression that the music was by either IR or GA. The interludes are very IRish. I was surprised to see SGs name in the title.

==> Ramki Sir, I beg to differ regarding interludes. They may resemebles some IRs pieces, but no where IR'ish. However you might have seen the similarity because
a. The starting of the song reminds "Iru Paravaigal Malai" from NMP
b. In 80s and 81s, SG used a lot of Violin interludes and hence this song may resemble some Ir's old pieces

Bala

balaji
13th November 2006, 07:32 AM
SOrry Ramki Sir Thanks solla marandhu vitten. Nalla memaiyana padal. I like this combo better than PJ-Vj

Bala

yvsmani
13th November 2006, 04:31 PM
iru vizhigal piranthathamma ulagai kaanavae
tfm POW irukkuthamma rare songs ketkavae

songs which I like most from PJ SJ combinations are :
this one, mounamalla mayakkam ilamai, raaja vaada singakutti, azhaghagha siriththathu antha nilavu

madhu
13th November 2006, 06:24 PM
Ramki..

andha paattu padathula naalu naaLum varave illai... from the first day.. ( enga oorla andha padam 4 naaLthan odichu :noteeth: )

BTW.. adhu "iru vizhigaL thiRanthadhammA" illaiya ? :confused2:

RC
13th November 2006, 09:48 PM
A followup on Srividhya - an article in this weeks Kungumam!

http://www.dinakaran.com/dncgibin/kungumam.asp?imge=2006/nov/05/17

natha1729
14th November 2006, 06:49 AM
Iru Vizhigal is Great SG song, gives those great tunes to PJ.

Ramki
14th November 2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks everyone.

Madhu i edited my post :)

Ramki
14th November 2006, 07:13 AM
Pick #417

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/noor_oup.rm

Song: nooraandu vaazhum
Movie: oorellaam un pattu
Singer : Jayachandran
Year : 1991

Jayahchandran-Ramarajan is a very rare combination. I know 2 other songs, one is 'jal jal salangai kulunga' and the other is from a dubba movie 'ivargaL indhiyargaL'(cant recall the first line).
In 90s JC was not singing many(he never was singing many anyways). I was surprised when i first listened to this song. IR rarely used him for these kind of songs. JC does a great job especially in the end.
I wonder why IR stopped using him after early 90s. The last song i remember in their combination is 'indha kolakiLi sonnadhe'(ponvilangu)released in 1993.

OUP had Ramarajan,nandhini(?) and aishwarya. It had 2 good songs. OUP(KJY/SL/IR) and thom thom(KJY). The film did not do well in chennai. Could have been a 50 dayer in other towns.

balaji
14th November 2006, 07:45 AM
PJ has done a good Job, Thanks Ramki

Sounds similar to Raga Dheepam from Payanangal. Is this Hamsanandhi too?

Bala

From Mars
14th November 2006, 08:58 PM
ivarkaL indhiyarkaL, *suhashini, Chandrasekar :)

jmahesh
15th November 2006, 12:08 AM
I agree with Balaji, sounds very much like 'raaga deepam'
never heard this song, nice one though.

Ramki
15th November 2006, 05:54 AM
Bala, Mahesh- I too thought it sounds like raagadeepam, but i also found some similarities to 'kalaivaaniye'

FM neenga solradhu 'indhiya kanavu'. IvargaL indhiyargaL had Lakshmi,Ramarajan , Madhuri etc.
http://www.cinesouth.com/cgi-bin/filmography/newfilmdb.cgi?name=ivargal%20indhiyargal

Ramki
15th November 2006, 06:05 AM
Pick #418

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/vaa_kt.rm

Song: vaa vaa aadi vaa
Movie: kallukkuL therai
MD: Shyam

When i hosted 'poomalaigaL iru thoL' from kallukkuL therai, SN23 mentioned 'vaa vaa aadi vaa'.
I have also heard someothers mentioning this song. Last week i found this song in a website sent by yvsmani.
I was hooked to the song on the very first listening. Jayachandran sings the song extremely well.
The song is a fast paced one and needs good breath control.

The song reminds me of 'aadal kalaiye devan thandhadhu' and 'kaNNaamoochi aenadaa' ..same raaga?

Link for 'poomalaigaL iru thoL'

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=193880#193880

balaji
15th November 2006, 07:20 AM
Ramki

Nalla song. I believe Sha Naaz (Prem Nasir's son) acted in the movie. I am not sure of the heroine. Nalini/Viji or some one like that. But as the songs came in Inreco used to hear in that INRECO program that used to come on Tuesdays(not sure)

Bala

balaji
15th November 2006, 07:25 AM
Ramki

According to Sara, the movie was also titled jaathi pookkaL and unreleased
Bala

madhu
15th November 2006, 07:31 AM
ramki..

aadal kalaiye is "charukesi" like "vasantha mullai" etc.

and "kannamoochi" is naatakurinji..

rendu raagathukkum sambandham irukko ennavo !

(enakku raagam ellam theriyadhungo.. but in some raga based TV program avanga sonnadhu ninaivu vanthuchu..)

From Mars
15th November 2006, 09:18 PM
thanks RC!

aadal kalaiyE dEvan is based on 'charukEsi'. Jaadhi pookaL had 'athai magaLum illai' by KJY :) this song was very much popular :) in early 90's.

I know what's Ramki is going to say? :lol:

Nakeeran
15th November 2006, 10:30 PM
Vaa Vaa Aadi vaa looks like raag BAHUDARI . Not sure but :roll:

Man from Mars , pl confirm :D

Ramki
16th November 2006, 07:26 AM
Thanks Bala and Madhu

FM :) Im not going to say anything :)

aruvi
16th November 2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah, Kannamoochi is fully based on "Naatakurinji" raaga, which is a rare thing to happen to TFM songs. Usually, they mix a couple of raagas together.

SN23
16th November 2006, 11:45 AM
I myself forgot my post... but you remembered it Ramki. NegizhchiyAi irundhadhu :-)

One of finest song of PJ. Konjam ganamAga but alattal illAdhmal pAdi asathum PJ is so lovely.

BTW, Somewhere I read kalaigaLil sirandhadhu nAttiya kalaiyE from Sivakavi is also based on Nattakurinji.

yvsmani
16th November 2006, 01:35 PM
I think mamootty tells something abt 'nattakurinji' raaga in the film KK after this song. enakku vaa vaa aadi vaa ketkum pothellaam malaro nilavo malaimagalo thaan gyabagam varum. Thanks Ramki, for hosting good PJ songs, which are a treasure.

jmahesh
16th November 2006, 02:17 PM
Very nice song.Thanks for hosting it.

yvsmani
16th November 2006, 02:30 PM
I think mamootty tells something abt 'nattakurinji' raaga in the film KK after this song. enakku vaa vaa aadi vaa ketkum pothellaam malaro nilavo malaimagalo thaan gyabagam varum. Thanks Ramki, for hosting good PJ songs, which are a treasure.

jn
17th November 2006, 04:05 AM
Nice selection of PJ songs. :)

oru indhiyak kanavu had suhasini and Rajeev.
Ramki, do you have this song from OIK?
"anaamikaa ... anaamikaa....
en peyare enakku maRandhu pOna indha vanaandhiraththil ennai peyar solli ahziththadhu yaar? neeyaa neeyaa...."
It has pudhu kavidhais in it... Irundhaal host paNRiya Ramki? :) Thanks.

Ramki
17th November 2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks everyone

Jn irukkunnu ninaikkiren..kaNdippa host panren :)

RC
17th November 2006, 08:04 AM
JN: It was hosted in Dhool very recently.

Ramki
17th November 2006, 08:14 AM
Pick #419

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/engengum_npm.rm

Song: engengum avaL mugam
Movie: neruppil pootha malar
Lyrics: pulamaipithan?

This one is a slightly popular number than the other songs featured this week. The song was often played in ilangai vaanoli.
The song has typical KVM touch with some good lyrics and singing.

According to cinesouth NPM had sivakumar and poornima devi.
Not sur if there were other good songs from this film.

jmahesh
17th November 2006, 01:34 PM
Listening to this song after such a long time.Brought back memories when the radio used to be switched on from dawn to dusk.Our whole family were radio paithiyams .

yvsmani
17th November 2006, 04:21 PM
PJ vaaram, kalakkal vaaram.
PJ's recent song from thambi - poovanathil with SL-ilum ithae kural appadiyae irukku.... great PJ

balaji
17th November 2006, 05:25 PM
Nalla Padal "Engengum ..". Ilangai Vanoli favorite

Thanks Ramki
Bala

gingerbeehk
17th November 2006, 09:14 PM
Romba arumaiyaana paatu. Kalakkuringa ramki. Romba nandri brother.

I am so eagerly looking another JC-PS 70's duet. " NAAN MEDHUVAGA THODUGINDRA POTHU", not remember the movie name and other details. Intha paathu enakkaga host pannungalen...please. Unga kittey kandippa irukkum.

Nandriyudan,
Jack

MP
17th November 2006, 09:14 PM
Ramki,

Thanks for posting a nice song. It reminds me another song 'Malargale nathaswarangal' from Kizhakke pogum rail.This song wasnt picturised for the film I think.

MP

Ramki
20th November 2006, 05:13 AM
Thanks everyone.

Jack i will upload the song soon.