PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Old responses (5 Aug 2006)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

teja
14th July 2005, 05:17 AM
Ilayaraja's next Telugu film, with dir Teja.

http://www.eenadu.net/ncineshow.asp?qry=kalagura
This article mentions that IR is impressed with the storyline... so much that he came up with a tune for the climax song right away.

app_engine
14th July 2005, 07:57 PM
Is that picture (one with french beard) yours, teja? Neenga movie direct paNNappOreengaLA? Best wishes...

teja
14th July 2005, 08:39 PM
Good one. No, that's not me. :)

Teja is a popular dir in telugu, known for his teenage love stories.
I think one of his hit film "Jayam" was remade into Tamil with the same name.

thops
17th July 2005, 02:09 AM
http://pib.nic.in/archieve/others/2005/52_NFA_Awards.pdf

check out page 22 of the document...sno 28..."divorce - not between husband and wife"...this hindi movie has music by ilaiyaraaja...it this going to go into the list of unreleased movies with music by IR ??

krish244
17th July 2005, 11:01 PM
http://pib.nic.in/archieve/others/2005/52_NFA_Awards.pdf

check out page 22 of the document...sno 28..."divorce - not between husband and wife"...this hindi movie has music by ilaiyaraaja...it this going to go into the list of unreleased movies with music by IR ??

I guess so thops. There is just no news about this movie.

Krishnan

NagaS
19th July 2005, 04:44 PM
Is ONOK first fazil - IR movie without KJY and / or KSC?

NagaS

sanbal
19th July 2005, 06:47 PM
Chithra is Singing in Malayalam Under IR's music, buy why not in Tamil. This week Junior vikatan chitra says, all the credit goes to Illaiyaraja for her awards.

sanbal
19th July 2005, 06:48 PM
buy why not in Tamil = But why not in Tamil

NagaS
20th July 2005, 04:47 PM
AVM Saravanan remembers "Mella thiRanthathu Kathavu" days ...

http://www.kalkiweekly.com/thisweekissue/page7.asp

Few interesting things from the article :

* Mella thiRanthathu kathavu was made to help MSV, who was in some financial trouble at that time and it was the idea of Bharathi Raja / IR to do something like this to help MSV

* Originally, IR was supposed to be the MD for MTK and again, it was IR's idea to work with MSV

* MSV did the tunes and IR did orchestrisation for all songs

NagaS

multinamatheyan
20th July 2005, 08:30 PM
where can I buy original CDs of Illiyaraja Music Journey ?

The Agi music sight is not set up for purchases.

Please let me know. Thanks.

njv
20th July 2005, 09:43 PM
http://dvdunlimitedonline.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2517

multinamatheyan
21st July 2005, 11:39 PM
Are the copies on DVDunlimitedonline originals?

The cover looks different from the one shown on the Agi music site.

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 01:07 AM
mnt, thops posted the link couple of times earlier in another thread. You can order it from here
http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4900&Category_Code=

14 bucks including shipping. I got it from that site.

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 01:08 AM
shipping is actually free

multinamatheyan
22nd July 2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks vijayr

njv
22nd July 2005, 08:25 AM
Are the copies on DVDunlimitedonline originals?

The cover looks different from the one shown on the Agi music site.
Yes. Agni Music version is ONLY for Malaysia and they are also selling the CD in India now. For US, UK and other european country, copy right holder is Angelica itself and was marketted by ReR.

FYI Agni Music version of TIS also has a different cover.

FYI dvdunlimitedonline.had the CD few months before Agni had the CD, cuz Agni recently only got the copy right. Watch DVDUnlimitedOnline.com for the next album by Maestro called "Moods Of Illayaraja" again by Angelica. Also they have Wings by Illayaraja (i bought it, didnt like it but interestingly my fellow russian collegue liked it, its all songs from movies that I never heard/know, but good orchestrization).

vijayr
22nd July 2005, 09:27 AM
njv, I heard that the 2 or 3 good songs in Wings lkike "vaa vaa anbe anbe" etc. had terrific recording quality better than what we heard before. Is it true? did you feel that way? If at all I buy that CD it would be only for the recording quality of those 2 or 3 songs. The song selection is medicore.

njv
22nd July 2005, 03:51 PM
vijar

Yes. The recording quality of all songs are pretty good. Interestingly this is the first song (or second after a prayer song, I dont remember), and the interlude will blow you up (I probably must have listened to Vaa Vaa Anbe Anbe 1000 times and even now this is THE CD that I play in my car and stills Wings CD will make you feel like you are listening to a new song).

I dont know if I can compare "technically" the sound quality. If there is a way, let me know. I will compare and let you know, but otherwise its too good.

app_engine
22nd July 2005, 10:28 PM
"I sincerely believe that only he can bring in the nativity so essential to my films. " says the controversial Thangar Bachan about IR. (He comes back to IR after flirting with some other MD for thendRal...a disaster...after the blackbuster azhagi and another average movie with Cheran as hero, both of which had IR as MD)

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/07/22/stories/2005072200470200.htm

K
22nd July 2005, 10:57 PM
http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/news/rahman2.html See what rahman says about raja and his Music :D

app_engine
23rd July 2005, 02:20 AM
http://www.eians.com/stories/2005/07/19/19vic.shtml

at least some reports say ONOK & AOKK have good sales:-)

teja
23rd July 2005, 11:40 AM
[tscii:e3c734a641]DIG

Do You Know Who Illayaraja Is?
Those were the early days of Illayaraja in the film industry. Music Director of that time, Chakravarthy used to have great impression on Illayaraja. Once, the topic of Illayaraja has come before Chakravarthy in a recording studio. A person commented Illayaraja out of his ignorance in music.

Chakravarthy told him, “Do you know who Illayaraja is? While goddess Saraswathi’s son had been crying, she went inside to get some milk for him. Meanwhile he crawled and came here. He is none other than Illayaraja. He is the son of goddess Saraswathi. We have no stand to comment on him”.

That’s all. Everybody in the studio turned silent for a few minutes including the one who commented the ‘Maestro’.

http://www.greatandhra.com/movies/news/jul2005/illayaraja_who.html

END DIG[/tscii:e3c734a641]

Osho
23rd July 2005, 06:45 PM
Guys, where can i get Ilayaraaja's music journey Cd in India. Any update would be great.

natha1729
23rd July 2005, 07:55 PM
[tscii:106b2bf4f4]DIG

Do You Know Who Illayaraja Is?
Those were the early days of Illayaraja in the film industry. Music Director of that time, Chakravarthy used to have great impression on Illayaraja. Once, the topic of Illayaraja has come before Chakravarthy in a recording studio. A person commented Illayaraja out of his ignorance in music.

Chakravarthy told him, “Do you know who Illayaraja is? While goddess Saraswathi’s son had been crying, she went inside to get some milk for him. Meanwhile he crawled and came here. He is none other than Illayaraja. He is the son of goddess Saraswathi. We have no stand to comment on him”.

That’s all. Everybody in the studio turned silent for a few minutes including the one who commented the ‘Maestro’.

http://www.greatandhra.com/movies/news/jul2005/illayaraja_who.html

END DIG[/tscii:106b2bf4f4]

Of all the composers, Chakravarthy should be mentioned!!! This composer' name was as ubiquitous on the radio as Shankar Jaikishan'. Oliyum Oliyum only featured this composer' songs, which showed Telugu industry was suffering for years with the worst numbers as no one else was there beside Sathyam, I thought until I finally found this magical song in coolgoose.com, which I always was Sathyam' finest compositions. (This was one of the most popular songs on Ilankai Oliparappu .. in the late 70s!!!)\\

http://web.music.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=180074

"ramba oorvasi menaka" from vedanai thediya maan (in telugu original i believe) only few days back i found this rare rare song, searching for years!

look at the fantastic and unique opening melody and the amazing interludes(strangely, Salilish interludes)!!! simply the best. Any more great Chakravarthy songs, please share the info.

12bums
24th July 2005, 12:54 AM
Looks like Raja just finished composing for another movie - 'Madhu' *ing Ramesh and Priya Mani:

http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/heroines/priyamani6.html

raja_fan
24th July 2005, 10:55 AM
Today I watched singer Manjari's interview in Asianet.
She mentioned the songs in the following YET to be released movies of IR .

The list is

1. Chidambarathil oru appasamy by Thankar.
2. Kasthuri maan of meera Jasmine.
3. Pokkisham by Cheran.
4. ONOK by Fazil

raja_fan
24th July 2005, 10:57 AM
Watch out SS Music at 12.00 P.M on Sunday.
A programme on IR !!!!!

Shankar
25th July 2005, 10:47 AM
A programme on IR !!!!!

I saw the program....Raja was surprisingly camera friendly (I mean generally he seems quite uncomfortable before the camera, but here he was quite cool)...They showed the recording of the oratorio, interview with laszlo kovacs, and a few musicians...I hope these things are present in the TiS DVD. Finally, got a chance to see who the trio who have always been with Raja...Vijay manuel (keyboard), Sada (guitarist ) & Purushottaman (puru - percussionist), and a person named sundararajan & napoleon (arun mozhi)...

Raja mentioned a few things...his regular musicians wanted to contribute in some way for the TiS, so Raja decided to make use of them in some way...napoleon played a small flute portion, some guys did the chorus (tamil chant), and vijay manuel sang the 'track' for the lyrics written by stephen schwartz & based on that voice, they zero'ed in on Ray harcourt.

Vaiko deserves a special mention....He said he had listened to the album some 20 times before he landed for the launch and what a speech it was !!

Raja seemed awestruck by his knowledge, and when his chance came, Raja said, vaiko's speech was more like a religious talk...and wondered why he was still in politics.

Vaiko went through each verse and was explaining why the songs were arranged by raja in that fashion...His knowledge of thiruvAsagam seems good.

He in fact quoted (almost verbatim) the message Stephen schwartz had posted in his website (" Last night I had the chance to listened to finished....in sony studio....")

When Raja came to speak, he spoke rather fluently, and while thanking people like Rajni, vaiko and others, he took a (friendly) dig at kamal - "kamal kadavuLai nambubavar alla...KadavuLum kamalai nambi illai...avar vElayai avar seithukoNdirukkirAr" or something to that effect.

Another interesting thing was, they showed the video of the recording in Budapest...the score could be heard feebly (without the vocals of Raja/indian chorus), from what i could gather in those coupla minutes, if someone can get the music version alone (stripped of Raja's voice and the Indian chant), it would by itself be a great score (of course, you have to ignore the repeated notes played in the BG as they are meant to support the vocals) !!!

Is there a way to do it ??

(Pls don't assume I don't like Raja's voice...I just wished to listen to just the score alone)

tmrrmt
25th July 2005, 11:33 AM
Shankar - I saw the program as well - even I was amused at the dig IR took at Kamal's 'Naathhigam'! but after saying "KadavuLum kamalai nambi illai..." he added thus "KadavuL Ilaiyaraajavai nambiyum illai - avar vElayai avar seithukoNdirukkirAr"

My one sore point with everyone who talk about God in public is this:in their excitement, I see only their own "Ego", even
while talking about God!

alwarpet_andavan
25th July 2005, 01:59 PM
Guys, where can i get Ilayaraaja's music journey Cd in India. Any update would be great.
If ur living in Chennai, you can get it at Shanti tailors, right next to Kapaleeshwarar temple, Mylapore

alwarpet_andavan
25th July 2005, 02:10 PM
A programme on IR !!!!!
...Vijay manuel (keyboard)
Its Viji Manuel.....
Had tears running down my cheeks just watching the programme....

I gave away some CD's to some of my friends and relatives and i regret it very much today. Its a case of "Kazhuudhaikku theriyuma karpoora vasanai".
First of all, people listen to it as though its a film album. I mean, tmrrmt was absolutely right about peoples' ego even while talking about god.
One friend who had actually met and had a few words with the Maestro in Mookambike temple last week, remarked "TIS romba nalla irukku nu poi solla vendiyadha pochu".
One cousin remarked, "machaan, enakku avalova pidikkala.... "
Another friend who happens to be a concert carnatic violinist said "idha oru violin veche potrukkalame...en orchestra?" - Talk about the frogs in the well!!!

I felt like telling them, yeah, go and listen to the saavu kuthu songs and Rehman's latest techno-wizadry (NOM), thats what ur fit for.
The reason i'm mentioning these points was seen in the programme yesterday.
Lazlo Kovacks and IR emphasized that this was a very simple orchestral arrangement and this was so because its an oratorio and not a symphony. IR explained that the orchetsra's job was to accompany and enhance the mood expressed by the voice singing the lyrics. Hope people get the expectation right before listening to it.

There's a very emotional and spiritual quality (not religious, mind you) to every song in TIS. It never fails to move me. I and my grandfather listened to the whole album 3 times on Saturday, my grandfather, not being exosed to WCM and contemporary music, still being moved by His work.

Ilayaanil isaikku urugaar edharkkum urugaar

Edited: Mannikkavum, unarchivasappattu TIs pathi ezhudhitten...... forgot the topic :)

tmrrmt
25th July 2005, 03:22 PM
"I mean, tmrrmt was absolutely right about peoples' ego even while talking about god"

alwarpet_andavan - to reiterate IR's viewpoint, let us put it this way - let us hypothetically assume (from theism's point of view) that God does exist - if He does exist, He must be one hell of a smart guy to have made all of us, life, the universe etc, right ? someone so smart does not require recognition from you and me, right ? is that is the case, why do people unneccarily talk about Him in public ?is it for His Glory ? or for their own glory ? that is a moot point to consider

If you are an atheist (which is what Kamal claims himself to be, though I have some strong doubts that he is not), then the above set of questions do not arise at all!

in any case, for most people, to talk about God, is the most preferred avocation, because it is very easy to do and can be used as a shield of escapism! at least in case of the superstar, I feel that is the case

in case of IR, it has to be genuine, since he has anyway accomplished enough, and he has no need to be deceitful

in case of Kamal, I feel that his claim of being an atheist itself is a form of escapism to justify his 'actions' in his professional and personal life!

anyways, it all brings to my mind, Paulo Coelho's book "The Alchemist", which has the following line "most people are so concerned / enamored with the destinies of others (including that of God's) that they forget their existence and destinies" or something to that effect

Shankar
25th July 2005, 03:58 PM
Madhan,
>>someone so smart does not require recognition from you and me, right ? is that is the case, why do people unneccarily talk about Him in public ?<<

let's leave God, and get to humans...I know so many people (that includes you and me) at some point in time or the other tell others that we are fortunate to be living in same era as Raja's. Or when discuss some intricate guitar piece in Eera vizhi kAviyangaL, we exclaim "this is a work of a genius!"
Does Raja require recognition (which is not going to alter his position in any way)from you and me ?? - if it comes from itzhak perlman / the late yehudi menuhin, then its a different story :-)

We still do it because we have had a positive impact due to his music, and one way of expressing our thanks (though indirectly) is this....I don't think Raja's remark about God and the work he has done for God is the category mentioned by you.

alwarpet_andavan
25th July 2005, 04:01 PM
tmrrmt,
Interesting points. As to the context of my own remarks - ego coming to the fore when people talk about gods, i mean here is a work which will move theists, atheists and agnostics alike, and all the 3 persons i mentioned in my posts are very religious. Not a case of ego exactly, but i don't think these people understand what they believe to be practising. You do have this "what's good for you needn't be good for me" thing, but hey, in that case, they aren't good enough for IR. Plain and simple.

About Kamal, he has been more or less consistent about his stand on god and religion and i don't think one can really say for sure what he believes in his heart. For me, though, his word is good enough :)

Personally, i didn't like IR's "friendly" remarks about God not waiting for Kamal's belief and all that, particularly when Kamal was not on stage when he said that. In fact, Kamal never uttered a word in contempt of religious belief in his speech. All he said was, even those who reject God cannot/will not reject Ilaiyaraaja's Thiruvasagam, a point to which even IR would agree, and that which has been proved by the experiences of some here also...
JUST MY 2 PAISE. PL NO MORE CONTROVERSY HERE OVER THIS :)

Cinefan
25th July 2005, 04:33 PM
I can' t help but post this as Kamal is being discussed :D

I agree with AA when he says Kamal has been more or less consistent about his views about God,religion.Does he really mean itl only ppl close to him would be able to tell.

But having followed him for quite some time now,I can see a mellowing down in Kamal these days.The strident posture which he used to adopt, particularly when it came to whether God exists or not has now been replaced by a more practical&reasonable approach.I think he is studying a lot more on this subject than before.

Earlier he used to sound like a rabble rouser(atleast I felt that way),not so now.

tmrrmt
25th July 2005, 04:40 PM
Shankar - "I don't think Raja's remark about God and the work he has done for God is the category mentioned by you."

That is precisely what I was trying to convey - only the Lance Armstrongs, Sachin Tendulkars, and Ilaiyaraajas of this world can and will talk about God and deservingly so, because, having gone deep into their respective fields, sacrificing many things in the process, they attain some kind of realisation, the outcome of which is the talk about God

therefore, I stated that as fars as IR is concerned, "it has to be genuine, since he has anyway accomplished enough, and he has no need to be deceitful" - perhaps I should have worded it as "it is genuine, since he has anyway accomplished enough, and he feels no need to be deceitful like the others"

tmrrmt
25th July 2005, 04:48 PM
"About Kamal, he has been more or less consistent about his stand on god and religion and i don't think one can really say for sure what he believes in his heart. For me, though, his word is good enough"

yesterday while watching the show, my dad laughed at that remark by IR ! when I asked him, he told me that every movie of Kamal's will not be released without an archanai in Azhagar kovil, which is done at Kamal's insistence! I was stunned to hear this - when I probed further, my dad told me that Kamal's lucky number is 6 (as per numerology) and hence, the sixth reel of his yet-to-be-released movie is taken to Azhagar kovil and archanai is done! before the release of "Kalyanaraman", when the archanai was done at Azhagar kovil (near Madurai), my dad was there in person (for some other work) and the info was given to him by a distributor friend who is very close to Kamal!

now, why does Kamal vehemently talk against theism in public ?

alwarpet_andavan
25th July 2005, 05:15 PM
yesterday while watching the show, my dad laughed at that remark by IR ! when I asked him, he told me that every movie of Kamal's will not be released without an archanai in Azhagar kovil, which is done at Kamal's insistence! I was stunned to hear this - when I probed further, my dad told me that Kamal's lucky number is 6 (as per numerology) and hence, the sixth reel of his yet-to-be-released movie is taken to Azhagar kovil and archanai is done! before the release of "Kalyanaraman", when the archanai was done at Azhagar kovil (near Madurai), my dad was there in person (for some other work) and the info was given to him by a distributor friend who is very close to Kamal!
now, why does Kamal vehemently talk against theism in public ?
There is every chance that this has been done on someone else's (say, the producer, distributor, well wisher etc) insistence.
There is a very common habit amongst our people, especially Brahmins (my mom told me one even yesterday :)), who have a story or two about a Periyar offering prayers in temples, about Kalaignar doing an archanai and what not? About Kalaignar, he can stoop really low no doubts :), but Kamal?, nah!

vem
25th July 2005, 05:16 PM
it is very easy in India to become famous by talkin about atheism. but in their personal world, they could be practicing their religion, if u ask them why it is so, they would immediately say that personal life is diff from social life.

I am not trying to criticise Kamal. It is the fault of the people. They see these people as socrates and call them as Pagutharivu thanthai etc etc. What Pagutharivu did he give ? At the same time, people dont give a damn for the people who have fully realised (such as Guru Ramana).

IR was such saying that God doesnt give a damn for Kamal. He doesnt wait for Kamal to believe him......

But at the same time, IR's speech was very critical of Bharatiraja. He asked him to take 100s of births......

What I particularly dont like of IR's speech was that he talked as if he has acieved enlightenment. It could very well be true. But such Mahaans dont crave for publicity or political gains. They dont care if others praise/castigate them. Rajini gave a good speech and Vaiko's speech was awesome.

tmrrmt
25th July 2005, 05:25 PM
alwarpet_andavan - my source of information is authentic, besides, my dad himself has dabbled with distribution (MGR's URIMAIKKURAL) three decades ago

anyways, let us leave others beliefs to themselves, and focus on their works - so what is on with 'Vettaiyadu velaiyaadu' - I hope Kamal 'bendu nimithu'fies Harris Jeyaraj for some decent music!

tmrrmt
25th July 2005, 05:28 PM
"Vaiko's speech was awesome" - I second that ! Vaiko had done substantial homework and kinda done literature survey fit enough for a mini-theses on the origins of YAAZH, thru different civilizations!

Cinefan
25th July 2005, 05:30 PM
I am not trying to criticise Kamal. It is the fault of the people. They see these people as socrates and call them as Pagutharivu thanthai etc etc. What Pagutharivu did he give ? At the same time, people dont give a damn for the people who have fully realised (such as Guru Ramana).

I totally agree.

But in Kamal's case I believe that he has been fairly consistent in his public statements with a little mellowing down happening now.If someone were to tell me that Kamal does believe in God,I wouldn't be surprised.Just read his recent interviews or even films,that strong anti-God stand does not exist( I think more than the concept of God,he was/is against idol worship,aarthi&the vibhuthi,kumkum culture) but numerolgy,Archanai for the sixth reel in temples-difficult to take in.I like AA will go by what he talks than believe stories(Sorry Madhan,no offence meant to you or your dad)

Even assuming that story to be true,it happened at the time of 'Kalyanaraman' which a late 70's film, right?I don't know what Kamal's thoughts were at that point of time.Has there been any interview,public statement by Kamal at that time where he has spoken against theism?

Anyways,you are right in saying we should leave their beliefs to themselves&concentrate on their work.

The kind of bad publicity Khaja bhai is going thro',VV still looks a doubtful starter.

Let's carry on in the VV thread&leave this to discuss just IR's new albums.

When is AOKK releasing?

raja_fan
25th July 2005, 05:58 PM
Regd Kamal, I strongly believe in the following points.

1. Due to his deep personal problems.., he has now started feeling some kind of loneliness and also about some inevitable supreme power above him. This is evident from some of his interviews..

2. During the 70s or 80s..when he was establishing, he badly wanted people to forget that he is of brahmin origin..Atheism was a way for achieving that..Rajni just did the opposite and yet came to No.1 position..
Now the times are different and guys like Madhavan do not need this kind of masks..as people have now softened anti-brahmin feelings..

alwarpet_andavan
25th July 2005, 06:03 PM
alwarpet_andavan - my source of information is authentic, besides, my dad himself has dabbled with distribution (MGR's URIMAIKKURAL) three decades ago

tmrrmt,
I never doubted the authenticity of your infor-source. Sorry if my words gave that impression. All i said was there might be something than meets the eye - like the producer doing all that, Kamal's belief notwithstanding. So there......

I hope Kamal 'bendu nimithu'fies Harris Jeyaraj for some decent music!

:lol:

Cinefan
25th July 2005, 06:07 PM
Regd Kamal, I strongly believe in the following points.

1. Due to his deep personal problems.., he has now started feeling some kind of loneliness and also about some inevitable supreme power above him. This is evident from some of his interviews..

2. During the 70s or 80s..when he was establishing, he badly wanted people to forget that he is of brahmin origin..Atheism was a way for achieving that..Rajni just did the opposite and yet came to No.1 position..

Hmmm,Your first point might be a reason for kamal bringing down his stridency.

As for point no 2,good analyis.Might or might not be true.

BTW,Rajni's spiritual leanings are coming out after 90's, right? despite a 'Sri raghavendra'in the mid 80's.

vem
25th July 2005, 08:18 PM
Rajini is really nuts guys. He definitely has the inner peace for sometime I guess ( I could see his calmness and composure when I got a chance to talk to him for 5 minutes).

He looked like a very deep person with so much peace (which we see in great saints). But at the same time, he was smoking incessantly...... And some statements he says r just nuts.

So he is a diff extreme as Kamal is.

These are their personal beliefs and let us just leave them there. We should never start to hate or adulate them(as Rajini calls IR as Saamy ) for their beliefs ........

As long as they keep their policies personal, no problem at all. But

Sathyaraj is a famous atheist - and unlike Kamal, he has been continously hurting the sentiments of people following the religion (especially Hindus)...... He knows that he will draw flak if he insulted other religions (afterall every religion has its own beliefs). But unfortunately our own people think that he is a thinker :)) On the other hand, sages say that mind is the main reason for all our sufferings, so making the mind quiet is the main goal.....

We try to create a Mahatma whenever a person tends to be vague :)

Nitya
26th July 2005, 12:14 AM
It's both funny and sad that people like Sathyaraj and Kamal would deny the existence of God. After all, it was God who allowed them to become big names. Atheists will be atheists, I guess.

rajasaranam
26th July 2005, 02:05 AM
Shouldn't it be more funny for people to attribute all their achievements of tedious labor to something non-existent :?

It is a common practice for people to mudsling atheists who strongly believe in their own existence and dont credit anything to any supreme being. people tend to say that they have belief but somehow they try to hide the fact and pose as atheists...... Rubbish.
give us one good reason for people acting like that?!!
will you people do that from your heart of hearts?!! that you believe in something and pose as something else?!!

It is a very hard and trecherous path which we have to go through our lives. though we know there is nothing called GOD. the society around us keeps on insisting us to belive in their belief system. When we oppose we are mudslinged like this.....
for instance though an atheist i had to marry in a temple due to family pressure. we make compromise for the society against our beliefs. For this compromise against my wish, which had more compassion towards fellow human beings-. I was ridiculed as been made to bow before GOD. i just had my laugh over it 'Evalavu Kruramaama manasu' deriving sadistic pleasures out of another man's pain.
It pains It pains a lot being an atheist... but the belief we have that there is no god makes our life more happier than any of you believers, enriching and cherishing our existence in this purposeless universe.

njv
26th July 2005, 02:20 AM
Can we talk about IRs new album here, please.

Please visit this URL to see what DSP says about IR

http://idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/chitchat-devisriprasad.html

kiru
26th July 2005, 04:21 AM
That is precisely what I was trying to convey - only the Lance Armstrongs, Sachin Tendulkars, and Ilaiyaraajas of this world can and will talk about God and deservingly so, because, having gone deep into their respective fields, sacrificing many things in the process, they attain some kind of realisation, the outcome of which is the talk about God

Good point , tmrrmt. I am not sure about the 'can and will', but if people like these talk about God or anything else, I listen. I think the human mind is capable of great things, even the owner of such a mind is awed by it and starts to attribute it to God.
I dont know about Kamal or Sathyaraj's personal character and other things. But even though I do believe in God, I think, I like the atheism of these accomplished people as it balances out the extreme superstition that pervades the indian life, if not necessarily the movie industry. This is for the very same reason, I like rajasaranams post here, even while he is critical of IR (even though I love IR's music).
rajasaranam ..atheism is a great concept ..but without God we have a major social engineering problem. DMK had to invent, 'kadamai, kanniyam, kattuppaadu' just for this reason. If you analyse hinduism deeply it is almost atheistic. The concept of karma, for example, has no place for 'divine intervention'. Anyways, to me atheism or theism , whatever philosophy is for the lasting happiness of all human beings , I am for it.

njv
26th July 2005, 08:11 AM

Cacaphonix
26th July 2005, 08:56 AM

njv,

Sure we can. Do u want me to talk like a gnani about IR's new album.

I am ready for it.....

I don't know how people succumb to the cheap cheats and go ga gaa about a piece of work which is at the maximum a rumble about which when someone egoistic, not a worth to stand infront of camera says that they have done something new. Can someone point out what is new about this so called gnani of isai has done? When everything in the world is nothing but a clever rehash of seven notes which unknowingly the person in question has accepted. But here too that person has shown his conceit and want us to believe that there are only seven swaras, when actually people of indian classical music reduce them to 12 swaras. But again who are those classical music personnel who are nothing useful than sitting merely in AC hall sing something boring which would please none but make a few person who belive only their caste has done something to the music as if theirs has done everything for the humankind. Coming to talk about humankind, what is there in humankind, when it itself an oxymoron, human-kind. which human is kind? human is the very reason for the depletion of ozone layer, greedy to earn more money and comfort, greedy enough not to allow other original thinkers (u know whom am i implying, if u don't then u r worthless creature) to get their fame. Talking about greed, what is there in this all prevailing maya world, greed, good, bad, ugly (no..no..dont whistle that famous tune, i am not talking about that "good bad and ugly). Every thing is maya and chaya. Talking of that maya and chaya this rajinikanth thought himself of a saint and thought he would give us whatever he thinks and assumed that we will accept that, his creation was not even a 2.5 rupees worth of chaayaa. Whereas, is kamalahassan like that? Coming to his name, I know, why he changed his name to kamal hassan, removing the "a" he wanted himself to sound like a non-hindu, atheist when everyone in the world knows he is showing, off. When it comes to showing off...
no..no..don't drag me out, i am not from chennai 10...

believe me please.

Shankar
26th July 2005, 10:38 AM
cacophonix,
You've chosen ur name well...

tmrrmt
26th July 2005, 11:07 AM
[tscii:5ff3b3aac7]guys, yesterday I saw IR's "Talk with the Maestro" program on SS channel - it was all nicely done - what impressed me was for the first time, IR talked about the nitty-gritties of writing sheet music, when he explained that if you write the notations for "namachhivaya vazhga" tune in one line, the next lines should have different notations for each set of instruments accompanying that particular tune/line!

Whew! that must be some tedious work! to even visualise IR 'transcribing and translating' his complex thought process into notations is mindboggling!

hmmmm! the human mind is a conundrum and even 50-100 years from now, when congnitive neuroscience advances to stages that have never been conceived of, understanding the way our brain functions, especially with respect to the creativity of artistes, will not be possible

“It is the mark of an instructed mind to rest easy with the degree of precision, which the nature of the subject permits, and not to seek exactness where only an approximation of the truth is possible.”
- Aristotle, 384-322 BC

so I wondered with a sigh, it is better not to understand certain things![/tscii:5ff3b3aac7]

alwarpet_andavan
26th July 2005, 12:04 PM

njv,

Sure we can. Do u want me to talk like a gnani about IR's new album.

I am ready for it.....

I don't know how people succumb to the cheap cheats and go ga gaa about a piece of work which is at the maximum a rumble about which when someone egoistic, not a worth to stand infront of camera says that they have done something new. Can someone point out what is new about this so called gnani of isai has done? When everything in the world is nothing but a clever rehash of seven notes which unknowingly the person in question has accepted. But here too that person has shown his conceit and want us to believe that there are only seven swaras, when actually people of indian classical music reduce them to 12 swaras. But again who are those classical music personnel who are nothing useful than sitting merely in AC hall sing something boring which would please none but make a few person who belive only their caste has done something to the music as if theirs has done everything for the humankind. Coming to talk about humankind, what is there in humankind, when it itself an oxymoron, human-kind. which human is kind? human is the very reason for the depletion of ozone layer, greedy to earn more money and comfort, greedy enough not to allow other original thinkers (u know whom am i implying, if u don't then u r worthless creature) to get their fame. Talking about greed, what is there in this all prevailing maya world, greed, good, bad, ugly (no..no..dont whistle that famous tune, i am not talking about that "good bad and ugly). Every thing is maya and chaya. Talking of that maya and chaya this rajinikanth thought himself of a saint and thought he would give us whatever he thinks and assumed that we will accept that, his creation was not even a 2.5 rupees worth of chaayaa. Whereas, is kamalahassan like that? Coming to his name, I know, why he changed his name to kamal hassan, removing the "a" he wanted himself to sound like a non-hindu, atheist when everyone in the world knows he is showing, off. When it comes to showing off...
no..no..don't drag me out, i am not from chennai 10...

believe me please.

Can you repeat the question????????????

alwarpet_andavan
26th July 2005, 12:06 PM
Shouldn't it be more funny for people to attribute all their achievements of tedious labor to something non-existent :?

It is a common practice for people to mudsling atheists who strongly believe in their own existence and dont credit anything to any supreme being. people tend to say that they have belief but somehow they try to hide the fact and pose as atheists...... Rubbish.
give us one good reason for people acting like that?!!
will you people do that from your heart of hearts?!! that you believe in something and pose as something else?!!

It is a very hard and trecherous path which we have to go through our lives. though we know there is nothing called GOD. the society around us keeps on insisting us to belive in their belief system. When we oppose we are mudslinged like this.....
for instance though an atheist i had to marry in a temple due to family pressure. we make compromise for the society against our beliefs. For this compromise against my wish, which had more compassion towards fellow human beings-. I was ridiculed as been made to bow before GOD. i just had my laugh over it 'Evalavu Kruramaama manasu' deriving sadistic pleasures out of another man's pain.
It pains It pains a lot being an atheist... but the belief we have that there is no god makes our life more happier than any of you believers, enriching and cherishing our existence in this purposeless universe.

Whether i'm a theist or atheist is immaterial but that was a fitting reply to some mudslingers here.
:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Cacaphonix
26th July 2005, 07:19 PM
Can you repeat the question????????????

A.A

Golden words are not repeated :))

Btw, I forgot to add smilies to my previous posting. I hope this would clear any doubts about my previous posting.

app_engine
27th July 2005, 12:06 AM
http://216.65.197.170/kumudam/270705/pg13.php

Interesting one liners from VM...
IR - ArmOniya arasar
ARR- Keyboard king...

jaiganes
27th July 2005, 03:23 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the posts of madhan, rajasaranam, vem and cacophonix!
Theism or Atheism, it is human mind and spirit that gives meaning and shape to these ideals. Let us agree to salute the spirit of IR, who has come out with a monumental piece of work like thiruvasagam. No matter what he says about the number of births he has to take and other "beliefs" of his, truth is that in this life he has utilised the talent he has in the fullest(at least in my opinion).
Let us see what he is going to do next and how his pet project of Music foundation going to come up?

prabhudas
29th July 2005, 05:14 AM
Small digression,

Back from Bangalore after vacation, one of the most memorable ones obviously for having attended the TIO release function.
For all those IR fans interested in yester year IR telugu songs, "Aditya" audio has released almost entire IR-Chiranjeevi, and Ir-Vamshi movies on CD with copyrights from "Echo" label. Got most of them except a few from Music World store in Jayanagar.
Somehow I couldn't get "Preminchu Pelladu" and "Ladies Tailor"
Recording quality is good in most of them.

Teja, there was another CD compilation of mostly dubbed versions of tamil hit IR songs like songs from Kakki Chattai, Chinnakoundar, Apoorva Sahodarargal, etc in that there is this Telugu version of "Vanna Vanna Pokkal" "Kozhi Koovum " song, do u happen to know the title of this movie in telugu, I am desperately looking for
" kannamma kaadhal enum" telugu version, probably sung by SPB and SJ, thanks in advance

Prabhudas

teja
30th July 2005, 08:45 AM
IR signs another telugu film "Factory"

It's an experimental film - a suspence thriller, with just one character through out the film.

http://andhrajyothy.com/cinema/cineshow.asp?qry=cj-july/29-07cj5

Article says IR is impressed by the concept and agreed to do the film. This film has 2 songs with special importance to BGM.

Looks like telugu audience are lucky this year. IR has signed 4 telugu films in last one month or so.

Prabhu das,
I have no idea about that songs. I will check up and let you know.

jagannn
1st August 2005, 09:34 AM
Teja,

Can you tell me which are the other 2 movies of IR. One i remember is Dir Teja's film and Factory.

teja
1st August 2005, 09:52 AM
Jagan,
Other two are by Vamsy...
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/movies/vamsyandraja.php

Cinefan
1st August 2005, 11:56 AM
http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=13907409

IR is the MD for a Dileep-Kamal(Not Hassan)film in Malayalam.

Cinefan
1st August 2005, 11:58 AM
http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/specials/dhanush2.html

AOKK is having trouble finding distributors willing to pay the price the producer is asking. :(

Shankar
1st August 2005, 02:46 PM
Surprising to see Raja in kamal's film...Kamal generally sticks to Mohan Sitara for his movies.

12bums
1st August 2005, 08:08 PM
Lohitdas, director of Kasturimaan on IR:

http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/01082005-4.shtml

vijayr
1st August 2005, 08:23 PM
Good to read about more MFM than TFM albums from IR. He has better chances there to give some classical stuff devoid of synth.

Vkrish
1st August 2005, 09:12 PM
"He has better chances there to give some classical stuff devoid of synth."

It is true... Listen to "Oru Chiri Kandal" song & all other songs of the movie ponmudi puzhaorathu. Just Great.

Cinefan
3rd August 2005, 12:07 PM
http://www.chennaionline.com/music/Events/2005/08ilayaraja-italy.asp

Ilayaraja-Live in Italy now available thro' chennaionline.

Shankar
3rd August 2005, 02:47 PM
Vkirsh,
I felt the tune and the interludes of the song "paNdathE nAttinpuram" are better than "ori chiri kaNdAl"..but Raja spoils the song by singing :-(...He's off key in some places, and his mallu is aweful :-(

vem
3rd August 2005, 06:55 PM
digression:

IR's daughter Bhavatharini to wed in sept.

http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/03082005-2.shtml

app_engine
3rd August 2005, 09:49 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=200952&disdate=8/3/2005

rooky
4th August 2005, 09:24 AM
Heard a Kannada song in radio FM yesterday and heard Rajas' touch throughout.It turned out to be from Bavatharini for the yet - to be released movie "kiya kiya"

Cinefan
4th August 2005, 04:56 PM
Dig:

Snaps from Bhava's engagement.The Indiaglitz photographer seems to have been smitten by Shruthi Hasan :D

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/7879.html

vijayr
5th August 2005, 02:38 AM
IR's BBC interview
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tamil/tamilfilmmusic42.ram
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tamil/tamilfilmmusic43.ram

The entire series on TFM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tamil/highlights/story/2004/08/040805_filmsongs.shtml#42

vijayr
5th August 2005, 02:48 AM
Iam listening to 43.ram, very interesting, IR explains how he didnt play any tunes at all to Avadhaaram and how he plays just the final versions with the orchestration to the directors and also mentions about MSV singing his tune to each and every one in the studio :-)) I wish the interview was longer.

vijayr
5th August 2005, 02:51 AM
We had a discussion sometime back(almost couple of years) on singer's melody vs listener's melody Where I mentioned how Poongatru pudhidhaanadhu has short sandhams/words, broken in terms of tune but with chords and instrumental pieces filling in and contrasted it with a singer's melody. IR explains the same, this time taking "OLiyile thiruvadhu" as an example. The tune by itself is nothing, even I could hum one such tune while taking a shower :-) But along with the orchestration the song takes a whole new direction

vijayr
5th August 2005, 02:57 AM
Damn, I wish we had a live chat seesion like this with him with everyone shooting their questions and IR answering it. I could think of atleast a hundred questions to ask right now. Wishful thinking :-)

Cinefan
5th August 2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/08/05/stories/2005080500540402.htm

IR is the MD for 'Jithan'Ramesh's next movie.

http://www.idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/news262.html

IR comes out with 9 tunes in two half hour sessions for Teja's new telugu movie. 8)

tmrrmt
5th August 2005, 03:45 PM
Dig:

Cinefan - SH looks like a poor clone of her mom than dad - looks anorexic a la the late Diana!

tmrrmt
5th August 2005, 03:46 PM
Dig: and cinefan, who is that fat 'mami' in blue saree ?

Cinefan
5th August 2005, 04:01 PM
Dig:

Cinefan - SH looks like a poor clone of her mom than dad - looks anorexic a la the late Diana!

Nah,I feel she is a mixture of her dad&mom(of course more her mom)

Ya ,she can do with eating a lot more of sumptious food. :)

BTW,she is also into modelling,she's screen tested for a 'Boutique'(print ad).

mami in blue saree :? ,will need to check out the pics again.

tmrrmt
5th August 2005, 04:20 PM
alwarpet_andavan - it is from NAAN PAADUM PAADAL - 'Mike' Mohan's blockbuster of the mid-80s, courtesy -IR's music!

raja_fan
5th August 2005, 04:25 PM
NAAN PAADUM PAADAL

I saw this movie few days back in Raj TV. This film would have been long forgotten if IR is not there. There is nothing in the film except songs.

But I wonder if IR gave the re-recording work to some other MD for this film..it was definitely IR standard..very weak.

raja_fan
5th August 2005, 04:26 PM
OOPS !!

Pls read "it was not definitely IR standard"

app_engine
5th August 2005, 08:22 PM
dark blue saree (page 1) - must be Karthik Raja's wife
light blue saree (page 2) - SA Chandrasekhar's wife, Shoba Chandrasekar (or, actor Vijay'Oda ammA)
violet saree (page 6) -Latha Rajinikanth...

vEra yaru sir kaNdupidikkanum?:-)

sats
5th August 2005, 08:58 PM
App engine

Dark blue saree (page1) is YSR'S wife. She looks more old than YSR in these pics.

alias
5th August 2005, 09:48 PM
First time in her life, Bhavatharini looks good. And IR as usual has charming smile. Looks like they have applied all the makeup for Bhava :-)

Cinefan
5th August 2005, 10:37 PM
App engine

Dark blue saree (page1) is YSR'S wife. She looks more old than YSR in these pics.

Bingo

K
5th August 2005, 11:42 PM
http://www.idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/news262.html See the 3rd Item

teja
6th August 2005, 12:20 AM
9 tunes in one hour... that ~7 minutes/tune! :clap:

This man is beyond genius... in every which way.

balaji
6th August 2005, 12:57 AM
Teja

As always thanks for the updates from TeFM.

As speed was never a problem with IR and being a spontaneous person it is no wonder he gets the tunes in no time.

However Hope IR spends more time on Orchestration...

Bala

vem
6th August 2005, 02:07 AM
Let us not get carried away with the speed. I just hope IR doesnt recycle his old tunes....

Speed was never a problem with IR. The problem being lack of freshness .....

But we attribute that to lack of motivation, old age etc etc.

teja
6th August 2005, 04:09 AM
I just hope IR doesnt recycle his old tunes....

I agree with you....but on the flip side, I wouldn't really mind even if he recycles. IR badly needs a big hit in Telugu.

A whole bunch of his tamil classics are still unheard of in AP.
If IR recycles all his tamil hits into telugu... he'll back at #1 spot in telugu in no time.
Apparantly, that's what these Top telugu MDs - Manisharma, RP Patnaik, Devi Sri Prasad... have been doing.

I wouldn't mind if IR recycles a "Puttam puthu kaalai", "vaanaville vaanaville", "Unnai thedi thedi" etc in Chita's voice. :P

vem
6th August 2005, 10:52 PM
good point Teja......

12bums
7th August 2005, 03:05 AM
Guys, anyone remembers Sumathy Ram of Vishwa Thulasi fame? Can anyone help me get her Houston contact details? Sorry for the digression.

prabhudas
7th August 2005, 08:10 AM
Teja,

director Teja says in the interview he will be introducing entirely new set of singers for this movie , does it mean, IR will not have his own choice, or is Teja so confident he will convince IR for new singers. I mean not that anything is wrong in that, but we will definitely miss Chitra. When RP found a place ( he must have literally plead IR ) in one of the last IR's Telugu movie, I guess it is possible.

app_engine
8th August 2005, 08:28 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=201953&disdate=8/8/2005

Vivek's certificate...(not that IR needs it...just for info)...

njv
9th August 2005, 01:03 AM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=201953&disdate=8/8/2005

Vivek's certificate...(not that IR needs it...just for info)...

He mentioned that durign Aa Aah release. Though it looks nice when you read the interview from dailythanthi, the way he sounded wasnt right. I am verbatim him here

"Isai gnani (clap so he has to pause) illayaraja (clap again) indha nootraandin thalai sirandha music directoraaga irukkalaam aanal indha nootraandaiyum thaandi aduththa nootraandin sirantha music directornaa adhu arr rahman mattum thaan"

What I didn like during his speach was the way he sounded "aanal". Probably he didnt know that the world was watching him.

I also happened to watch PA Vijay's book release in SunTV last saturday night (this is not advertised, since its more like SunTV/DMK's kudumba function!). It seems it happened on the same day as TIS and the reason for KH to leave TIS early. Anyways, there when Dr Karunanidhi mentioned "Isai Gnani" the whole hall (mostly DMK party members) was clapping their hand. Dr Karunanidhi mentioned that he only gave "Isai Gnani" pattam to Illayaraja and he gave "Kalai Gnani" pattam to KH during Marudhanayagam inaguration etc and finally he gave "Viththaga Kavignar" pattam to Vijay.

vem
9th August 2005, 02:49 AM
WHO IS THIS VIVEK ????

sudhakarg
9th August 2005, 02:30 PM
aduththa nootrAndu is still a long way to go. Is Vivek pulling ARR here :-)

mythila
9th August 2005, 05:15 PM
During my recent trip to Tamilnadu, I happened to hear 4 songs of IR's recent "Oru NaaL Oru Kanavu" from suryan FM , played frequently. Easily the Yaman/Kalyani based "Kaatril varum geethame" wins hands down for a sweet tune and pleasant feel.
"Kajuraho kanavile" is pacy and quite catchy. I had initially thought it to be a VS number. But we have heard this usual IR's scale innumerable times.
"konjam thira" - a pleasing tune again , the second best from the album. But Sonunigam plays the spoilsport. I can very well imagine SPB opening the song "konjam thira kanne" huskily in his inimitable style. Ah those wonderful days!!!
"Enna paatu venum" - Hamsadhwani based pop song that begs for SPB to become immortal like a "Enge endhan kaadhali" . Alas, Sonu's effeminate voice just doesn't have the boisterous bubbliness of a SPB .
A disturbing aspect of this album is the near absence of any live orchestration which fans always expect from IR and how he has let us down!!!

baroque
10th August 2005, 01:21 AM
I too miss SPB in Raaja's music!! :( SPB has done a amazing job in Vishwa thulasi, his voice is for ever sweet. I am addicted to kannamaa... and Nizhalin.....I watch very less movies, recent movies i don't get to watch at all, unless it is kamal or Balu mahendra etc.. May be Raaja is not using SPB because present day actors need different voice. Yenakku puriyalai :? But SPB is very versatile, any way i am a hardcore fan of Balu, I miss him very much, naan poyee Balu paadina pattu kettuppen!! film music to Sivasthuthi, SPB is fantastic!! :thumbsup:

genesis
10th August 2005, 10:18 PM
Sonu Nigam is a very bad choice. Not sure why Raja chose him for so many songs.

Shreya Ghosal.... the best voice after Chitra. If I am not wrong, she has already replaced Sadhana Sargam as all MD's choice.

A decent album from IR after long time.

krish244
11th August 2005, 12:40 PM
Was just listening to the song "Kaadhal Oviyam" (Alaigal Oyvadhillai). Every time I listen to this song, it sends goose pimples all over. Right from the start of "Om..with kovil bell" continued with dual layer female chorus with Church bell..till the end its sheer magic. Dont have any words to explain the feeling that this song gives. The interludes are mesmerising. The bass guitar is very prominent in the song (especially is very prominent in the second interlude). Thats the bass guitar...am I right?

Sorry for bringing up an old song, but just could not contain myself:) Is there any thread where old songs of IR are discussed?

thanks

Krishnan

thumburu
11th August 2005, 02:40 PM
Krish, no probs. When there is not much to rave about Raja's recent filmi works, fans have no other option but to reminisce about his past

crvenky
11th August 2005, 03:49 PM
I heard that IR's album Chidambarathil Oru Appasamy is releasing tomorrow. Kasthuri Maan will follow in the next few days. What are the other ones in pipeline?

Cinefan
11th August 2005, 04:22 PM
I heard that IR's album Chidambarathil Oru Appasamy is releasing tomorrow. Kasthuri Maan will follow in the next few days. What are the other ones in pipeline?

Yes,Chidambarathil.......is out tomorrow.BR,BM&others are partcipating in the release function but Isaignani has excused himself because of work pressure :?

http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/livewire.asp?n=audio11.txt

njv
11th August 2005, 06:53 PM
Krish, no probs. When there is not much to rave about Raja's recent filmi works, fans have no other option but to reminisce about his past
Adhu Oru Kana Kalam
Oru Naal Oru Kanavu
Chidambarathil Oru Appusamy
Kasturimaan
2 Telugu movies for Teja
3 Malayalam movies

Moods Of IR - Non filmi album

All with in next 2 months

Want more? Wait for 1 more week and you will know the next "big" announcement.

NormalMan
11th August 2005, 08:06 PM
njv --> Any clues on the next big announcement?

njv
11th August 2005, 08:27 PM
njv --> Any clues on the next big announcement?
Not confirmed yet, so I am just waiting, but a tamil movie

njv
11th August 2005, 08:36 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/trailer/7485.html

ONOK trailer. Music gets better with the trailer. I am sure it will rock in theatre.

alias
11th August 2005, 11:49 PM
yes njv, I watched the trailer and i was really rocking. Good to see Fazil after a long time.

baroque
12th August 2005, 04:20 AM
[tscii:6c816d7e50]Krish244, please don’t be sorry discussing Raaja’s old songs!! Our Raaja has created innumerable classics!! I am now listening to Balanagamma- koondhalilae.... KJJ, what a masterpiece!! From violin prelude to KJJ’s soft rendering, S.P.Shailu’s beautiful humming, violin piece in the second interlude , KJJ’s ‘thom dham dham....” ayyo yennannu solluven!!! Divine!! We are blessed!![/tscii:6c816d7e50]
Earlier i was listening to "vennilavin..."Athiradi Padai Balu and chithra!! What a beauty?? Slow, romantic tune, beautiful complementary orchestra, rasichu Balu singing with laugh 'oorum..' steal your heart forever!! Naaney love pannaraamaadhiry yerukkum yenakku :lol: , what a pleasure!! thank you Ilayaraaja!! vinatha

krish244
12th August 2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks thumburu & Baroque. Just felt that I could be disturbing the rythm in the thread...thats why :)

BTW, I just saw the trailer in IndiaGlitz site. Good One. Did you guys see the official website of ONOK (http://www.orunaalorukanavu.com)? Only now I heard (in the official website) the other two sample versions of "Kaatril Varum Geetham", one by IR and the other by Bhava & Shreya. In the Bhava & Shreya version, tabla beats are replaced (tabla starts in stanza though) by modern/western sounds. Decent version, I should say.

thanks

Krishnan

Cinefan
12th August 2005, 04:47 PM
IR talks about 'Thiruvaasagam'on Star Vijay,15th Aug,11am.

app_engine
12th August 2005, 10:09 PM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/08/12/stories/2005081200270200.htm

Fazil talks about ONOK music...

cry_sandiego
13th August 2005, 01:02 AM
Hi Krish,

Same here.. Wheneve I listen to this one.. i am transported to a new world..Kathal Oviyam song from ALaigal Oivathillai is one of my all time best of IR songs.. Especially when the starting chorus goes, I always get goosebumps... what a song..

Incidentally when Jency was interviewed in Surya TV sometime back, she said that it is her best too. I like voice a lot.. and how she is remembered by most people in Kerala for a tamil song.

Cheers
MSK

teja
13th August 2005, 03:45 AM
Idlebrain reports...

Three producers for Teja's film
D Suresh Babu, Teja and Nallamalupu Bujji would be jointly producing Teja's next film Kotha Chitram. This film would be a new line cinema. Ilayaraja has already given 9 tunes for this film. Recording of songs would be start on next Wednesday in Chennai. Teja is planning to introduce new singers through this film. We have already asked the interested visitors to send a mail to sing4teja@idlebrain.com to grab the opportunity to sing in Teja's Kotha Chitram under the baton of Ilayaraja. Teja is considering all the mails that are sent with a sample audio file of less than 1 mb. This film would be launched very soon.

Good to see IR's telugu film getting much needed hype.

Prabhudas,
Not sure about the details, but I'm sure IR has the final word in selecting the singers.
RP patnaik mentioned in one interview that he requested IR to give him one chance to sing under his baton. So, it's not like these singers are forced on IR.
It would be interesting to see who IR picks this time...
Atleast, we don't have to listen to ShreyaGhosal and Sonu Nigam... [Not that there is anything wrong with them :tongueout: ]

rooky
13th August 2005, 10:19 AM

There is an interview from ilayaraja (titled "thiruvasakathin thalai magan") on Raj TV at 1.00 pm and a program about his thiruvasagam at 07.00 pm on K TV

Sanjeevi
13th August 2005, 11:27 AM

There is an interview from ilayaraja (titled "thiruvasakathin thalai magan") on Raj TV at 1.00 pm and a program about his thiruvasagam at 07.00 pm on K TV

Wov great news :D

Sanjeevi
13th August 2005, 11:36 AM
Hi IR fans,

"Chithambarathil Oru Appasamy" audio has been out.

Any review? It is another Azhaki?

Vysar
13th August 2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/lightsonline/130805/pg9.php

12bums
13th August 2005, 10:39 PM
http://216.65.197.170/lightsonline/mainpage.php

Another Kumudam interview with Lohitdas, where he says, that in Kasturiman, importance has been given to melody.

And Sanjeevi, why should COA be another azhagi. The film is in a totally different genre. Wewill expect another azhagi and then get disappointed bcos, it is not so. I Think it will be very different and very folk based, going by the looks of it.

MrJudge
14th August 2005, 10:23 AM
Thankar opens his big mouth about masala movies but he has included one item number in the COAS. why thankar why?? I hope he atleast comes out with another good screenplay.

krish244
14th August 2005, 05:34 PM
"COA" audio release function photos:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/7931.html

thanks

Krishnan

NagaS
14th August 2005, 07:31 PM
My wife said she got a new album by IR, Bakthi album titled "Amma Paamaalai", Music by IR, Lyrics Valee, and Released by Welgate Audio ...

I am yet to listen to the songs, But I got the info on the songs - people can try, it is available in bangalore so it should be there in Tamil Nadu as well :)

Songs :

1. EnakkuL - IR
2. Kollooramma - Bhavadharini
3. Neerum KaatRum - Bhavadharini
4. Ninaiththum - Bhavadharini
5. Amma un - Bhavadharini
6. Aaazhakkadalil - Bhavadharini
7. Amma Amma - Bhavadharini
8. EnakkuL ... - IR

NagaS

multinamatheyan
15th August 2005, 10:06 PM
There is an article on the August issue of Uyirmai that talks about how Raja broke the traditional constraints around Ragas.

I will be an interesting read for those of you who are well versed in carnatic ragas.

Try uyirmai.com, it might be there.

prabhudas
16th August 2005, 06:43 AM
Happened to see the Independence Day special interview ( Sun TV) program with Srikanth, Faazil, S Agarwal, man, Faazil has totally scr*wed up the picturisation of the most catchy song of the movie with amazing interludes
( Kajuraho...).
Just the pure magic of those interludes should have kindled a little bit of his creative brain ( no sarcasm... but that's what he claimed how his creative thinking didn't have any inhibitions during his childhood).
Well his song picturisations have always been a so so any ways, if u have noted some of the gems wasted in "Povili vaasalile", "kaadhalukku Mariyadhai" etc movies.

Anybody , yet with COA review

Prabhudas

vijayr
16th August 2005, 10:42 AM
3rd part of IR's interview for BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tamil/tamilfilmmusic44.ram

Replace 44 with 42 and 43 in above link to listen to first 2 parts.The only interview where some slightly technical questions are asked as compared to the garbage questions we read in Kumudam, anadha vikatan etc. when they interview IR. Live illustration of shruthibedham by IR referring to the rare "sangeethame" song from Kovil Pura
IR laughs a lot too during the interview. I wish I was there to ask my set of questions :-)

MrJudge
16th August 2005, 01:43 PM
There is an article on the August issue of Uyirmai that talks about how Raja broke the traditional constraints around Ragas.

I will be an interesting read for those of you who are well versed in carnatic ragas.

Try uyirmai.com, it might be there.

Yes, the article came out in uriymai. It has three parts and one delves deeper into carnatic ragas and such. uyirmai.com is part of chennaionline network and I don't think they update it often.

Prabudas:

I think Fazil badly needs to switch over to some new cinematographer. I don't like ananta kuttan who likes sutterikkum veiyil in many frames.

Anybody listened to COA?

thumburu
16th August 2005, 01:50 PM
//Dig :-
It is not only the sangakaala pulavar's prerogative to
extoll the ?(non)existent virtues of kings/chieftains to
earn a tidy sum of pon, mani, pattaakkaL etc, our current musicians are no inferior in sychophancy to our "manbumigu"'s that would put all ARR/MSV/IR jaalras to shame. Take our veteran BMK. Do you know that he has coined a raga "jayajayalalitha" after our Amma? Now why didn't he name it "Jayalalitha"?
How can he , when already our new Isaignaani Kunnakkudi has a
raga named after Jayalalitha? I will not be surprised if atleast this time BMK doesn't lose time in composing a krithi in jayajayalalitha raga like this
pallavi : "jayalalithe unnai nambi adi panindhen
sindhai irangi kaappaai
aruL purivaai jayalalithe......

anupallavi : admk vil vandhu avadharitha Deviye
bharat ratna enakku parindhuraippaai neeye (jayalalithe )

Iam sure BMK will beat Kunnakudi this time as I last overheard our Kunnakkudiji is busy struggling to complete the
"jayalalitha sahasranaamam" [ I bet it won't
happen that soon . Amma mela 1000 thiru naamangaL nna summaavaa?)

MADDY
16th August 2005, 07:52 PM
i really envy the peace and tranquility that i find at IR's threads with no ARR-fan spoiling the threads with derogatory remarks........u know we have to put up with a 1000 arguements with IR-fans who gatecrash into rising,Ah Aah threads for just calling a ARR album as a gud one.......we r literally tied down by unwanted remarks which is killing our spirit there.....neway guys sorry if i had gatecrashed in here :lol: .......i just felt very happy at the peaceful atmosphere here :D

i listened to a fast number from ONOK which was very unique IR composition......gr8 that IR finds more ways to compose unique songs.....hats off raja sir...... :D

njv
16th August 2005, 08:51 PM
Maddy

I find a new way. Stop responding to those intruders!

app_engine
16th August 2005, 10:24 PM
"i really envy the peace and tranquility that i find at IR's threads with no ARR-fan spoiling the threads with derogatory remarks."

Maddy sir, please check the very next thread where ananth & vijay are trying to suggest some new idea for IR to work on...:-)

Cinefan
17th August 2005, 11:18 AM
http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/news/2005/08/17/award.html

mythila
17th August 2005, 01:43 PM
I preferred Vijay to Raj although the later showed extensively , the TIO release function.
Vijay version had some TF folks like Nasser, Parthiban, Vivek interviewing IR.
Nasser recapitulated to IR about how he was
called for Avatharam music disc at 5am and he was made to sit like an idiot before IR for 45 min when IR uttered not a word to Nasser and instead started writing something on sheet after sheets , much to Nasser's annoyance. When Nasser recounted this part to IR in the interview, he was truly taken aback and with a disarming smile accepted that he didnot remember this incident.But Nasser continued to narrate it , saying he was thinking IR was probably writing some letter or working on some other movie. After 45 min, itseems IR called Puru and asked him to take copies and give it to the musicians. Nasser then mustered enough courage and told IR that he had come regarding Avatharam music and Raja shocked Nasser by saying he had just completed writing the score for avatharam and the job was over. Now IR was able to recollect the incident.
Parthiban honestly admitted to IR that he first heard TIO in his car
and didn't think much about it .His subsequent hearings in his studio when he was alone made him numb and all he could feel was dried up tear drops. when parthibn started confessing he was not an "aanmigavaadhi", IR interjected nd told him everybody has athma and the diff lies only between the one who has realized it and one who has not yet.
Vivek asked IR about some "OLi" in his eyes[when did he switch over from comedy to opthalmalogy?) which IR rightfully dismissed it as some kind of hallucination and added he was aware of the follies inside him.[appaada oru vazhiyaa othundare!!!]
In Raj, bHAVA WAS SHOWN SINGING "JANANI Janani" . I pity the audience. IR has taken nepotism to new heights.Itseems IR had flushed off TIO from his system once the mixing was finished at newyork and started focussing on other works.
Believable, since I see no trace of TIO in MExp.
IR told Kamal was the first outsider to have listened to TIO

alwarpet_andavan
17th August 2005, 02:09 PM
I preferred Vijay to Raj although the later showed extensively , the TIO release function.
Vijay version had some TF folks like Nasser, Parthiban, Vivek interviewing IR.
Nasser recapitulated to IR about how he was
called for Avatharam music disc at 5am and he was made to sit like an idiot before IR for 45 min when IR uttered not a word to Nasser and instead started writing something on sheet after sheets , much to Nasser's annoyance. When Nasser recounted this part to IR in the interview, he was truly taken aback and with a disarming smile accepted that he didnot remember this incident.But Nasser continued to narrate it , saying he was thinking IR was probably writing some letter or working on some other movie. After 45 min, itseems IR called Puru and asked him to take copies and give it to the musicians. Nasser then mustered enough courage and told IR that he had come regarding Avatharam music and Raja shocked Nasser by saying he had just completed writing the score for avatharam and the job was over. Now IR was able to recollect the incident.
Parthiban honestly admitted to IR that he first heard TIO in his car
and didn't think much about it .His subsequent hearings in his studio when he was alone made him numb and all he could feel was dried up tear drops. when parthibn started confessing he was not an "aanmigavaadhi", IR interjected nd told him everybody has athma and the diff lies only between the one who has realized it and one who has not yet.
Vivek asked IR about some "OLi" in his eyes[when did he switch over from comedy to opthalmalogy?) which IR rightfully dismissed it as some kind of hallucination and added he was aware of the follies inside him.[appaada oru vazhiyaa othundare!!!]
In Raj, bHAVA WAS SHOWN SINGING "JANANI Janani" . I pity the audience. IR has taken nepotism to new heights.Itseems IR had flushed off TIO from his system once the mixing was finished at newyork and started focussing on other works.
Believable, since I see no trace of TIO in MExp.
IR told Kamal was the first outsider to have listened to TIO
mythila,
thanks for the info....any idea if there's a re-run of either of the progs????? i missed 'em both....

K
17th August 2005, 02:29 PM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/16082005-4.shtml

sureshmehcnit
17th August 2005, 03:06 PM
Chidambarathil Oru Appasamy review

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2005/08/thoughts-on-chidhambarathil-oru.html

Smile
Sureshkumar

njv
17th August 2005, 04:05 PM
Suresh

Thanks for the review. I was thinking that the songs are going to be situational and nothing great. To me Azhagi was the only good album. Sollamaranthakathai is okay only and I think COA will follow the same. Thankarbathcan got lucky with Azhagi subject, so that must have impressed IR to do some good work, but otherwise, IR wouldnt waste his energy for TB.

Shankar
17th August 2005, 05:11 PM
njv,
you had mentioned that there's an 'interesting' project on cards for Raja...Any news on that front ?

njv
17th August 2005, 07:02 PM
not yet... I myself is damn dying for the confirmation.

BTW folks I think that IR should be VERY selective in accepting the film offers. Vijayr and other people mentioned this long time back and I was against the idea but after looking at the work he has done for Fazil vs TB, I think IR is better of doing less and good, than more and bad. Just my wish!

vijayr
17th August 2005, 07:49 PM
Fazil is over-the-hill and I am beginning to suspect after listening to ONOK that IR's past hits for him was probably due to IR's own initiative than any inspiration from Fazil.

Iam not looking forward to any more TFM albums from IR. I think he is done. If, out of the blue, he comes up with a stunner once in a while, I'll probably listen, but as whole soundtracks he is not going to surprise us anymore is my gut feeling, considering the projects he has in hand(njv, are you going to surprise me here?). All this 9 tunes in 45 minutes means its going to be medicore. I still have some hope left for MFM though.

Thankar Bachan's programme on Jaya TV regarding COA- he mentioned that although Thendral songs were good they werent hits, since people expected IR's name against his and so he went back to IR for COA. From Suresh's review it looks like IR wasnt enthused very much by Thankar's rationale :-)

njv
17th August 2005, 08:26 PM
considering the projects he has in hand(njv, are you going to surprise me here
Yeah, it will be a surprise if it happens, but again songs will be just another from IR and nothing great. If IR works with BR or Mani or KB or Shankar, we can expect something new, but otherwise, even if IR score for Rajni (mmm... I didnt leak anything yet right), it would be another "devuda devuda"

NormalMan
17th August 2005, 10:39 PM
What is BR upto these days? I see him in every audio launch function. Is he into total retirement?

vijayr
17th August 2005, 11:01 PM
IR-Rajni - Hmm... their last album together Veera, I consider it the most wholesome Rajni album of the last decade, covering all centers and catering to all segments of Rajni fans. 10 or 11 songs in total including one unreleased devotional song by Arunmozhi. Even "Munnam seidha dhavam" was originally composed for Veera. If IR manages 70% of that output, the album would be worth hearing.

vijayr
17th August 2005, 11:02 PM
BR has been retired I guess. He is probably busy running the newly launched Tamilthirai channel.

Shankar
18th August 2005, 10:54 AM
vijayr,
I too tend to think your way...I was slowly losing interest in his TFM albums...in mallu, you never know...he might give another guru or yathramozhi - one song...just one more song like pon veyililE would do for me!

We shudn't attach much importance to those "45 minutes" nonsense either...Everyone says chinnathambi is great (the same 45 minutes funda)...but I didn't like it. i would rather have an avathAram than those mediocre stuff like CT.. He should think about works which would be talked about even after 45 yrs and not worry about composing stuff in 20-30 minutes...who cares ?...He should carefully choose his movies (Rajnikant did this - once he knew he was past his prime, he chose to do one movie every 2-3 yrs..thereby increasing the expectations....Like with Rajnikant, it would work with Raja too bcos he is capable of delivering a blockbuster at will)...and I don't believe he's churning out albums for money.

He should focus more on satisfying himself (musically) rather than keeping those jalras happy.

>>>>>>>
If IR works with BR or Mani or KB or Shankar
<<<<<<<

Mani and BR are past their prime (we all saw it in Yuva and kangaLAl kaidhu sei)..Shankar's taste and Raja wouldn't go well...ARR (to some extent ysr - if hj can score for shankar, why not ysr ?) is the best bet for shankar.

so, there's no point in Raja waiting for these directors...Bala, cheran , ka ru pazhaniappan or selvaraghavan can get some really inspiring script for Raja to work.

RATHEESH
18th August 2005, 10:58 AM
can anyone pls gimme the link to download the song 'NIRPADHUVEE NADAPADHUVEE' compsed by ilayaraja and sung by harish ragavendra in the movie bharathi.i searched a lot for this song in coolgoose.com but in vain..i saw this song in coolgoose.com some months before and now when i tried to download it is no more found.pls suggest some other site to download it

Shankar
18th August 2005, 11:07 AM
I know from a very authentic source that Raja rejected RGV's offer to score for vAsthushastra (a poor remake of the great stanley kubrick's "the shining", I am told)...But *if* RGV were to offer him his version of Sholay, Raja should lap it up :-)

Would RGV ever work with Raja again...I am sure Raja will rock when given a movie like satya/company/booth.

jaiganes
18th August 2005, 11:10 AM
shankar wrote:

a poor remake of the great stanley kubrick's "the shining", I am told
It is pet cemetary plus some other movies. I donno if Pet cemetary is by Stanley kubrick. IR should work on creating musical films. SOmething like "Fiddler on the roof" would be simply great.

MrJudge
18th August 2005, 11:19 AM
I think IR is better of doing less and good, than more and bad. Just my wish!

I disagree with your opinion. The problem Ir has nowadays is doing less films. He needs work from 5am to 10pm. He has to score atleast 20-30 films per year then only we can expect gems from him. He is simply not good when doing 4-5 films per year. Also he should get back to his manual orchestra instead of using synths.

thumburu
18th August 2005, 12:11 PM
It is high time IR retires atleast from TFM and start concentrating on nonfilmi projects. Frankly I don't care to listen to his new film albums unless I hear good reviews and this is since 1995.

inetk
18th August 2005, 02:06 PM
a poor remake of the great stanley kubrick's "the shining
It is pet cemetary plus some other movies.

...also has shades of a Korean thriller called Acacia![/quote]

njv
18th August 2005, 08:52 PM
I know from a very authentic source that Raja rejected RGV's offer to score for vAsthushastra (a poor remake of the great stanley kubrick's "the shining", I am told)...But *if* RGV were to offer him his version of Sholay, Raja should lap it up :-)

Would RGV ever work with Raja again...I am sure Raja will rock when given a movie like satya/company/booth.
I recently saw RGV's sarkar and I felt the absence of IR. The BGM was pathetic. More interestingly, BGM was runnnig through out the movie. Non Stop. Only IR knows how to use silence as a good BGM. Its a great movie neverthless. I hope RGV uses IR for his Sarkar II atleast.

For those who hasnt seen it, its Nayagan + Devar Magan - Songs - Fight - IR - Kamal.

MumbaiRamki
18th August 2005, 09:08 PM
Njv ,
perfect ..I felt the same for sarkar .....Worst BGM ihave seen in recent times ...:(

jeera
18th August 2005, 10:32 PM
njv

Same opinion on srakar, the BGM spoiled the movie (not that the movie was well taken!!). especially the govinda, govinda..... chants!!

The most I miss these days is a good commercial tamil movie (not the art type of TB) with IR's BGM.

vem
19th August 2005, 04:27 AM
Vaastushastra is a soft porn movie guys. First of all it is no way related to "The Shining"..... VS is a movie where a family goes to a house that is haunted....

Thats all. I dont think even IR or the music composer of THE SHINING could have lifted the movie.... It was a crap movie and having seen so many Horror thrillers in English, it is unfathomable for me to accept RGV as a director....

I dont know if our directors can ever match the hollywood standard.

njv
19th August 2005, 05:43 AM
njv
The most I miss these days is a good commercial tamil movie (not the art type of TB) with IR's BGM.
keep finger crossed!

Shankar
19th August 2005, 10:01 AM
>>>>>
not the art type of TB
<<<<<

Is TB = thankar bachAn ??? ennA art movie paNnirukkAr avar ? azhagi was a great movie, adhulayum oru item number a thiNicha oru aaL avar...Raja shudn't be scoring for his movies (likewise, arr should stop scoring for sjs)

alwarpet_andavan
19th August 2005, 01:15 PM
Njv ,
perfect ..I felt the same for sarkar .....Worst BGM ihave seen in recent times ...:(
Long time no see....????

app_engine
19th August 2005, 06:29 PM
"But when I see my father's background piece for `Mouna Ragam' still making rounds at inter-college cultural meets and being used as ring tones, the reach surprises me," says Yuvan Shankar Raja.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/08/19/stories/2005081900240200.htm

vijayr
19th August 2005, 08:37 PM
njv, is this the big announcement?
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13921248&

no mention about IR though

njv
19th August 2005, 09:22 PM
Yes, but no mention of IR like you said. Rajni indicated IR/YSR as his preference. Shankar's preference is HJ. So lets see.

app_engine
19th August 2005, 09:56 PM
It could be Bharadwaj, current AsthAnam for AVM:-)

app_engine
19th August 2005, 10:06 PM
[tscii:14bd6be61b]Says Fazil: “It’s one of my better love stories and has shaped out well. Raja sir’s music is already a hit”.
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13917328
[/tscii:14bd6be61b]

vijayr
19th August 2005, 10:13 PM
"Rajni indicated IR/YSR as his preference. '

njv, when? Did it appear anywhere online?Personally, YSR doingthe music would be a big letdown for me. I hope its either Raja or Rahman.

njv
19th August 2005, 10:51 PM
not online. i got this from this source a week before and thats why i said wait for "big" announcement, but the news is not confirmed yet.

YSR hasnt done any movie with big stars. It has to be Raja or Rahman or HJ (doing Kamal's VV) or Vidya Sagas.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

Also the story is not the usual anti-corruption type, so it is raising huge speculation in the industry now.

Jacky
19th August 2005, 10:52 PM
don't think YSR will be even in the reckoning, he hasn't given mass hits like VS. It'll boil down to ARR and VS. IR is the dark horse!

NormalMan
20th August 2005, 01:30 AM
Jacky -> What do you mean by mass hits? He has given huge hits in the form of 7/G, Arindhum Ariyamalum (which was far better than Anniyan). I agree that he has not worked with the top stars. But 2004 did belong to him and by the way 2005 is going he will be a close winner also.

vem
20th August 2005, 05:06 AM
I am quite certain it will not be IR ......

SHANKAR MAY NOT PREFER IR......

It will be mostly ARR (40%), HR (30%), VS (30%)

Personally I would prefer VS as his songs were great in CM. ARR is the second best choice because of Muthu and baba.

vem
20th August 2005, 05:07 AM
I am quite certain it will not be IR ......

SHANKAR MAY NOT PREFER IR......

It will be mostly ARR (40%), HR (30%), VS (30%)

Personally I would prefer VS as his songs were great in CM. ARR is the second best choice because of Muthu and baba.

Jacky
20th August 2005, 07:32 AM
Normal man,
Appadi podu, Machan peru Madurai, Devuda Devadu, Annanoda Pattu kinda songs which will cater to the front benchers in TN. Yuvan's music is too contemporary for Rajni.

vijayr
20th August 2005, 10:01 AM
"Yuvan's music is too contemporary for Rajni."

Same was said about Rahman when he was asked to do Muthu. Oruvan oruvan mudhalaaLi still is one of the best ever Rajni intro songs. The problem with YSR's music is not that it is contemporary, it just sucks, period.
But if asked to score for Rajni he can always remix the remaining dappanguthus that his dad composed - ennoda raasi nalla raasi, velai illaadha vandha, podhuvaaga en manasu thangam, many more, so no worries there :-)

rooky
20th August 2005, 10:40 AM
Shankars' movie, the obvious choice would be AR Rahman.

But Just to add some points about YSR,

VS is not consistent.CM songs were very very mediocer and his re-recording is always a pathetic one.The CM songs got popular 'cos of Rajni and nothing else.

Compared to this Yuvans' Re-recording is way ahead.If you think "kan paesum varthaigal or devathaiyai kandaen (KK) or kadhal valarthaen or the latest Theepidikka are not mass hits, no one can convince you about that.

Again,ARR would be the obvious choice for shankar.

rooky
20th August 2005, 10:43 AM
And whether u like it or not, YSR is the hottest MD in Tamil(you would have seen this in sify,thatstamil,indiaglitz,tamilcinema etc..) and his last five movies were hits(7G,manmadhan,Ram,Arindhum,Dass) which does matter

rooky
20th August 2005, 10:48 AM
Vikarams' next movie(after Maja) will have music from YSR

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13920845

Jacky
20th August 2005, 11:31 AM
"The problem with YSR's music is not that it is contemporary, it just sucks, period."

I know but just didn't wanna start a war :lol:

"If you think "kan paesum varthaigal or devathaiyai kandaen (KK) or kadhal valarthaen or the latest Theepidikka are not mass hits, no one can convince you about that."

They are hits but will never find place in a Rajni movie.

MrJudge
20th August 2005, 06:12 PM
Personally I think even if Raja/YSR is asked to do this film, they should opt out. If this movie is an action packed one, just wait for its dismissal performance at BO.

VS: He sucks to the core nowadays. After his gillie, none of his masala songs have the same level of appealing. He asks BGM enna vilai? (Ex.. PS) Even deva might do a better job. His beats are ripped off version of IR's and comes with mediocore tunes nowadays.

It will be good to see HJ for this movie. But after Arul, HJ is not interested to do masala movies, but if Shankar asks him, he will do it.

alwarpet_andavan
20th August 2005, 06:36 PM
I'll be surprised if IR is the MD for this. I'd think its likely to be ARR....

rooky
20th August 2005, 10:44 PM
Personally I think even if Raja/YSR is asked to do this film, they should opt out. If this movie is an action packed one, just wait for its dismissal performance at BO.

VS: He sucks to the core nowadays. After his gillie, none of his masala songs have the same level of appealing. He asks BGM enna vilai? (Ex.. PS) Even deva might do a better job. His beats are ripped off version of IR's and comes with mediocore tunes nowadays.

It will be good to see HJ for this movie. But after Arul, HJ is not interested to do masala movies, but if Shankar asks him, he will do it.

In CM also, he used a song (raa raa) from aptha mitra comletely
and for re-recording used all old rajni BGMs :)

njv
20th August 2005, 11:00 PM

In CM also, he used a song (raa raa) from aptha mitra comletely
and for re-recording used all old rajni BGMs :)
Athinthom is a an absolute 100% lift from a very old malayalam folk song, including the charanam.

vijayr
21st August 2005, 04:40 AM
final concluding part of IR's interview
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tamil/tamilfilmmusic45.ram

IR talks about nenjam marapadhillai, his favourite MSV song besides other things.

Replace 45 with 42-44 in the above link to listen to previous parts

MrJudge
22nd August 2005, 09:31 AM
Happened to watch COA preview on sat tv. My first impression is this movie is going to be a winner. Two songs were shown, one is ok and another one is just bad.

Cinefan
22nd August 2005, 10:59 AM
IR as MD for the Rajni-Shankar movie-very unlikely.
I will be very surprised if it's anyone other than ARR.

thumburu
22nd August 2005, 12:58 PM
Does anybody remember the violin background in Vaagadheeshwari raga that is played during Srividhya - Amala scenes in Karpooramullai? There is just one word - Brilliant :)
BTW, Vaagadheeshwari is a rare scale and we can see shades of this scale in an old PS song "vasantha kalam varumo" mded by
Ramamurthy of V-R fame. Iam dying to hear this aspect of Raja .
I don't care if he is not chosen for the over hyped Shankar-Rajini masala mix.

rooky
22nd August 2005, 04:04 PM
malai malar says,

Raja or Rahman would be the MD.

krihoo
22nd August 2005, 05:14 PM
no doubt abt it.....better to take rahman....not that raja cannot ...but rahman will more suite shankar and rajni combination movie !!!

Sanjeevi
22nd August 2005, 06:57 PM
IR as MD for the Rajni-Shankar movie-very unlikely.
I will be very surprised if it's anyone other than ARR.

MD other than IR as MD for the Rajni-Shankar movie-very unlikely.
I will be very surprised if it's anyone other than IR. :lol:

popeye11
22nd August 2005, 07:41 PM
Maestro IR should do this movie. !!!!!!!!

app_engine
22nd August 2005, 08:36 PM
IR can and will deliver extraordinary stuff to any such project. That is, what is exactly required and more and there's no doubt about it. He has never failed to deliver for a big project in his career.

However, chances of him doing this is almost nil. Three reasons :

1. He was once a regular for AVM movies but got dropped and alternates were vehemently tried by the production house (with some misses and some successes). And he hasn't done any work for them in more than 10 years. There must be something between them and IR...considering that AVM hasn't employed his sons for any project too, it's probably something irreconcilable...(much like the IR-VM thing, even the next gen don't work with VM).

2. ditto for IR-Rajini combo. Even though they show up as `Anmeega' friends in public, there's some strong professional tiff...Rajini won't employ IR or his sons...

3. If Shankar's ego took him to the point of not working with his once celebrated partner ARR, it would be too difficult for him to work with IR, who is of even prior gen...

While any of the top MD's may bag the AVM-Shankar-Rajini project, and most are capable of delivering the required masala dosage for this (including even Bharadwaj), it's highly improbable that it will be IR (or his sons)...

12bums
22nd August 2005, 08:55 PM
app engine, just 2 things with yur posting. I doubt whether there is a tiff between IR and AVM, since AVM Saravanan attended YSR's wedding. Also, AVM did use one of IR's sons for their production, namely YSR for Peralagan.

balaji
22nd August 2005, 09:31 PM
He was once a regular for AVM movies but got dropped and alternates were vehemently tried by the production house (with some misses and some successes). And he hasn't done any work for them in more than 10 years. There must be something between them and IR...considering that AVM hasn't employed his sons for any project too, it's probably something irreconcilable...(much like the IR-VM thing, even the next gen don't work with VM).

==> Didn't YSR provide music for AVM's recent Surya Starrer - "Perazhagan"?

Bala

app_engine
22nd August 2005, 09:48 PM
OK, that was my lack of knowledge...that YSR was in an AVM movie...sorry for the miss.

I take that point out:-)

Sanjeevi
22nd August 2005, 10:47 PM
Naanga rendu perum sernthu sila badangal bannala. But, enga friendship appadiyae irukkuthu

- Rajini kanth at Thiruvasagam opening festival

Ithula ethavathu visayam irukutha? :D

kr
22nd August 2005, 10:57 PM
IR was the first MD in the early 80's to challenge the producers asking as royalty a part of the revenues of the albums sold. (prior to that, the MD's got just a fixed salary). In addition to that there were other thorny negotiations on the movies they worked together whether the albums should be sold under AVM records or Echo (which was owned by IR at that time). That was one of the major reasons for strained relations between IR and AVM.

njv
23rd August 2005, 12:23 AM
malai malar says,

Raja or Rahman would be the MD.

This is very true. What I heard is that Rajni wanted to work with raja after his meeting with IR during TIS release. Shankar definitely prefers ARR.

Good news for ARR fans are and shankar fans that Shankar will work with ARR in future movies.

vijayr
23rd August 2005, 02:14 AM
If Shankar listens to COA by chance, he will definitely opt for Rahman. I heard the songs in Raaga(I am surprised they actually bothered to release it), I couldnt manage to listen to any song beyond the first 30 seconds. I guess this is IR's way of punishing Thankar Bachan for leaving him out in the previous movie :-)

njv
23rd August 2005, 02:44 AM
If Shankar listens to COA by chance, he will definitely opt for Rahman. I heard the songs in Raaga(I am surprised they actually bothered to release it), I couldnt manage to listen to any song beyond the first 30 seconds. I guess this is IR's way of punishing Thankar Bachan for leaving him out in the previous movie :-)

IR music is custom made for movies. Its a total V Sekar type family/comedy/sentiment movie. What do you expect? Boom Boom type song for this? Wait for the movie to come and judge.

balaji
23rd August 2005, 03:15 AM
vijayr:

Anithu Vidungal is good in COA. The rest of the songs are real bad.

Someone mentioned that Rajni was interested in IR. To your point, yes Shankar can make his point by providing COA as an example.

Njv:

Whatever we IR fans may say, why produce a below average album if you are not interested? Did IR agree to provide music for hsi own Financial reasons or did he agree to please few of his friends? If so surely I have no say.

However one thing is sure, while the re-recording was going on, TB must have really felt bad for having ditched IR last time. He had to take whaterver IR gave with his mouth tied..

Having said that, I wish Raaja gets the prestigious film. He can prove disbelievers (including me) that he still can produce a successful album for a complete Masala film

Bala

Vysar
23rd August 2005, 04:21 AM
COA - Chidambrathil Oru Appasami. Maestro shows his class

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/7675.html

NormalMan
23rd August 2005, 04:23 AM
IMHO it really doesn't matter if the MD is not IR. Take Chandramukhi.... the songs would have gone unnoticed had it not been for Rajini. When I first heard the songs, it went straight into my trash bin. But after the movie got released, its one of my most listened to album. Thanks to Rajini!!

Now going to Anniyan, the album was a total crap. Shankar deserved a better album. With my ACID I can create an equally better collection. Absolutely no cohesiveness between the lyrics-raga-rhythm. Very predictable rhythm patterns & progressions. Looked as if super glue was used a lot to make things come together. If its HJ, then watch out for some irritating and stupid chorus and predictable rhythms.

The last Rajini album, which I loved every bit was Thalapathi. After that all he has got have been close to crap. He cannot lift the song value every time with his screen presence. Baba was an example of how even Rajini's screen presence could not lift the song(s) popularity.

So bottom line, if given a chance IR would do wonders (as long as he keeps Karthikraja from spoiling the song with his stupid synth arrangements).

PS: Had a chance to see songs from Jhonny last nite. Man that is THE album Rajini should wish, yearn, pray to get from any MD.

baroque
23rd August 2005, 05:13 AM
"Had a chance to see songs from Jhonny last nite. Man that is THE album Rajini should wish, yearn, pray to get from any MD. "
Jhonny is namba Raaja's ultimate creation!! I watch only Rajini's old movies with IR's music like mullum malarum, 6-60,dharmathin thalaivan,Siva, Veera, Yejaman,dhalapathi, etc... Ilayaraaja is The GREATEST!!

njv
23rd August 2005, 05:38 AM
speaking of Jhonny, I thought that was the best music ever by IR, but I watched Nizhalgal and man, this one movie has all the songs released by all the MDs in TFM together. I repeatedly watched the movie just to observe BGM and many MDs including IR himself used the BGM from this movie to create songs where are outstanding. Just an outstanding composition. Anyone has BGM of this movie by any chance?

njv
23rd August 2005, 05:41 AM
Whatever we IR fans may say, why produce a below average album if you are not interested? Did IR agree to provide music for hsi own Financial reasons or did he agree to please few of his friends? If so surely I have no say.

Balaji,

I completely agree with you that IR should avoid such projects. However COA wasnt a bad album, if not great album. I mentioned last week that its a below average album from IR, but yesterday I watched the trailer and my impression on the songs were totally changed. Just wait till the movie and lets discuss again. Someone else mentioned here that the movie is gonna be a winner, and I have the same feeling.

baroque
23rd August 2005, 06:15 AM
njv, this site has some bgms but don't have Nizhalgal. sorry!
http://www.ee.duke.edu/~vijay/BGM.html

kr
23rd August 2005, 06:22 AM
Doing music for a Rajni movie may be a great deal for us but I am not sure it may be the same thing from IR's perspective. IR has done music for Rajni moves from Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri (First full song for Rajni) and Bhairavi onwards. I dont know how may Rajni movies IR would have done.

It is like at work - the new group of people may rave at someone who is at senior position or soemone they look up to - but if you had known and worked with them when they were like you and were your peer - I am not sure if you would be as eager (eager may not be the word - may be aspire or wait to be given or called on) as some of the newer kids on the block for the chance to work with or please the person in the senio position.

However, people here mentioned Johny - along with that I hope people listen to albums like Kazhugu, Gharjnai etc. to understand why we rave about IR.

prabhudas
23rd August 2005, 09:35 AM
Interesting,

Equation 1 =

The problem with YSR's music is not that it is contemporary, it just sucks, period.
Equation 2 =
If you think "kan paesum varthaigal or devathaiyai kandaen (KK) or kadhal valarthaen or the latest Theepidikka are not mass hits, no one can convince you about that.

Inference: There is a hell lot of suckers in Tamilnadu, :lol: ( no pun intended despite the smilee)

Another statement :
They are hits but will never find place in a Rajni movie., there is lots of truth in it ( see below).

Some more equations
MR+Kamal+IR->Nayagan, phenomenal, a landmark movie, album, fetched the coveted National Award to Kamal
MR+Rajini+IR->Dhalapathi, a much anticipated, hyped movie, great album, definitely not a landmark movie ( the biggest rehash of MR , an extended version of "nayagan")

Shankar+Kamal+ARR-> "Indiyan" The great Anniyan Part 1, a well made movie , definitely not the gretest album by ARR but was above average, and again the third (last) national award to Kamal

Shankar+Rajini+ ? ( and I think probably ARR as many would like and think)-> "Shivaji" ( if that's still the name for this Mother of All Hype movies of Kollywood), will be much more anticipated, hyped
( and it probably deserves), will it fetch the first national award to SS ( I will be happy if it does), if BigB could win a National award for that crap Hindi movie ( forgot the movie name), I don't underestimate BigB's enormous talents but he deserved that award for much better movies done earlier by him.

About YSR,

The problem with YSR's music is not that it is contemporary , very true, in the same lines, the first ARR+Rajini combo "Muthu" was also contemporary too, yet was a big hit and met the required hype despite movie being a average hit, I wonder If YSR todate ever even came close to this , despite giving hit movies one after the other in the last year or so.

His 'TappanguthU" songs ( Are these the ones called "Kuthu" songs these days) todate there is no single number despite all his remix circus to meet the "suckers" criteria akin to "Manmadha rasa", "Appadi Podu", "Devuda Devuda" or " Annanodu Pattu", and hence definitely no place in a Rajini movie, be it Shankar's or some one else for that matter.

IR + Shankar ( with or with out Rajini),
with only 9 movies of Shankar he has created such a mass Histeria in TN for catering a movie with extravagance on thin ( repeated ) story lines all along
( barring "Boys", ARR was good in that , and yes probably this movie would have been a better Shankar movie for YSR to have shown any of his proficiency) and with this pattern, it is quite known that his scripts are of different kind ( I am not admiring his scripts) and some what predictable but he he quite comfortably
( most of the times) managed by his way of presentation of the same old stuff, so a IR combination will be a no no both in reality and and in our presumptions unless Shankar makes a " Moonram Pirai" kind of script ( which is not even possible even in dreams) or a " Period movie" ( yes we must be joking) or a movie like ' Indiana Jones series ( it will be great if he does and imagine with SS that would indeed turn out to be landmark movie, again a big big ??)
I have felt many times a second time watching of Shankar's older movies makes me feel how the hell he made all these movies a super duper hits, on the otherhand, a second or third time watching of most of MR's movie makes me yearn to watch once again and feel why the hell people are not too welcoming for his movies considering BO statistics ( except his initial few movies),

Lastly, can somebody compare a shankar kind of movie in preShankar era, I mean a similar way of presentation ( a glorified Masala movie in other words), the only movie I can think of is "Agni Namshatram" which was still a far better movie IMHO compared to many Shankar movies

PS:The biggest thing I have liked with Shankar is his way of Picturisation of songs, again not the recent movies, his first 3 or 4 movie, they were indeed trend setting with out any questions)

IMHO, ARR should be the MD and he will definitely do great than HJ ( what a pathetic score for Anniyan, not that this movie deserved more than this)

Prabhudas

krihoo
23rd August 2005, 04:05 PM

shankar is intelligent enough ....he wont think IR wud give like COA to his movie....first of all COA music suits its requirement ...IR scored for a movie..he dint release a private album....and as far as COA songs are concerned....
the ayappa song, AYE ENNA and the PATHO song are just mindblowing...with good picturisation they will be a real treat....other 2 songs too are very nice but i personally felt the synth usage is done as if in hurry ....overall COA songs are very very much credible for the movie......

balaji
23rd August 2005, 05:45 PM
Prabhudas

Digression ===>

if BigB could win a National award for that crap Hindi movie ( forgot the movie name) ==> the movie was AgneePath by Mukul Anand, an ordinary movie with good acting by Amitabh.

Did he deserve an award, yes for Sholay, Trishul (compare Sanjeev/Amitabh's activing with that of Satyaraj/Rajni in the overacted MR Bharath) and a hell a lot of movies.
Did he deserve an award for this movie -- Absolutely no! SPB deserved the award for Keladi Kanmani in 1990.

Anyways, fairness was never part of the Award system...

Bala

vijayr
23rd August 2005, 09:21 PM
njv, I dont buy all this made-for-situations and so on. An album has to impress as a standalone(for eg. Nayagan songs impressed as a separate soundtrack and also when seen with the movie)first, before it impresses you when watched along with the movie. COA, to put it mildly, is medicore. I dont care if the movie happens to be good.

njv
23rd August 2005, 10:42 PM
njv, I dont buy all this made-for-situations and so on. An album has to impress as a standalone(for eg. Nayagan songs impressed as a separate soundtrack and also when seen with the movie)first, before it impresses you when watched along with the movie. COA, to put it mildly, is medicore. I dont care if the movie happens to be good.
Okay sir.

MrJudge
23rd August 2005, 11:26 PM
Lastly, can somebody compare a shankar kind of movie in preShankar era, I mean a similar way of presentation ( a glorified Masala movie in other words)

Yes, Selvamani was doing awesome jobs at that time. His Pulan visaranai, Captain Prabakaran, Sembaruththi (love subject) were huge hits. (the only downfall was the lengthy dialogues of vijayakanth)

alias
24th August 2005, 01:25 AM
Judge, Selvamani movies were no way incomparison to Shankar. If you watch Gentleman, you feel the same anxiety which you had couple of years back when this movie was released and on the other hand if you watch Pulan Visaranai you will burst into laughing. Scenes lifted from commando and the fake looking scenes. He went out of gas after 3 movies (Simbarathi happens to be remake of Hindi movie Bobby) but Shankar is now running little out of gas after 7 movies. But who knows with the help of his assistants he will be able to come out with new presentation for Super Star movie. So Selvamani's movies are no way near to Shankar movie and you cannot call his movies preshankar kind of movies. I think there was no one in Tamil but in Hindi there was Manmohan Desai who made huge masala movies with all the ingredients.

prabhudas
24th August 2005, 04:07 AM
CAO, Sun TV trailers not promising, I am talking about IR's contribution, yet to listen to full album.
But a real let down of all the recent releases, but have to listen to the whole album anyways.
I thought when I watched "Vishwa Thulasi" first on trailers was far more impressive.

Digression
Mr.Judge,
I didn't mean huge hits, better presentation and content, Captain Prabhakaran was ok at best, other two were so so
( they might have been hits), well hits have been there always and will be there some deserving rightfully, some not worthy ( because of the Makkal like u know who...)

Shankar is not running out of Gas, Gas is becoming so expensive even Shankar can't afford :-)

Manmohan Desai and Shankar U mean to say Shankar innum oru 7 varushathule Suicide pannipparu na like MMD
.....Give me a break..... MMD was another glorified SPM kind, and he was not just one hindi there are and were many like him. MMD just had multistarrers mostly with good MDs( which 8 out of 10 times in Hindi are hits, then, now and in future too, I meant multistarrers, I think Kollywood actors are worst with inflated egos who are just destroying the meaningful tamil Film) and that works/worked good always for main stream masalas in Hindi ( don't expect path breaking scripts, innovative ideas of picturisation, narration, except some of the newer directors)

I didn't include RGV ( Shiva, Kshana Kshanam etc..)as his debut was in Telugu, RGV probably a comparable director and probably better in some ways than Shankar too

Prabhudas

vijayr
24th August 2005, 05:05 AM
I wanted IR to be the MD just to see what he can do with a canvas as wide as it would usually be in Shankar movies. Shankar wouldnt hesitate to spend on Hungary (or wherever) recordings and probably IR would get a chance to do something special. Creativity need not be shown only in serious,sober films like Moondram Pirai. I often wonder as to how creative an IR score would have been for the Chandralekha song in Thiruda Thiruda. It would have been no less magnificent if he had done it.
Same Cheran/ThankarBachan azhumoonji movies will yield the wish that IR stops working in this low-budget village movies, which dont succeed in extracting anything much out of him.
Some of Rahman's best creative efforts have come for Shankar's movies and the reason is not hard to see. IR has never had a chance to work with someone of Shankar's vision/grandeur -so chances are that the music would be something special which we have never heard of. Only a Kamal could extract Jazz out of IR, after IR had been in the industry for 30 years. Likewise a Shankar can extract something unique even after 800+ albums. We'll never know. The only problem here is the Rajni factor, which means a mandatory intro song, a dappanguthu and so on. If its more of a Shankar movie, or if IR and Shankar work in the future on a non-Rajni project, I believe the results will be..shall I say different at the very least, even if it isnt extraordinarily great.

vijayr
24th August 2005, 05:07 AM
"Same Cheran/ThankarBachan azhumoonji movies will yield the wish that IR stops working in this low-budget village movies, which dont succeed in extracting anything much out of him. "

missing a few words above which I deleted by mistake.should read as
"same Cheran/Thankarbachan azhumoonji movies would yield the same azhumoonji songs. I strongly wish that IR stops working in this low-budget village movies, which dont succeed in extracting anything much out of him

prabhudas
24th August 2005, 07:15 AM
Vijay
I agree very much with ur statement, and with IR as u said " We will never know". It's just that Shankar's script is nothing extraordinary, it's the "Package" as Kodambakkam calls where he tries to make s difference, that's why I wanted to know if there were movies close to his style in PreShankar period and if IR did have a chance to score music for similar "Package",
Also since his scripts are not very diverse, that was my impression, heavily repitative if not inspired.
Shankar is perhaps capable of making movies of the genre like the "Indiana Jones" etc and yes IR combination would be terrific, the same usual Mr.Good Citizen kinds have been done by IR.
I also always wanted IR do a "Kaakka Kaakka" (which in my opinion was way superior in presentation than most of Shankar movies) kind racy action oriented movie
Prabhudas

njv
24th August 2005, 07:32 AM
I wanted IR to be the MD just to see what he can do with a canvas as wide as it would usually be in Shankar movies. Shankar wouldnt hesitate to spend on Hungary (or wherever) recordings and probably IR would get a chance to do something special. Creativity need not be shown only in serious,sober films like Moondram Pirai. I often wonder as to how creative an IR score would have been for the Chandralekha song in Thiruda Thiruda. It would have been no less magnificent if he had done it.
Same Cheran/ThankarBachan azhumoonji movies will yield the wish that IR stops working in this low-budget village movies, which dont succeed in extracting anything much out of him.
Some of Rahman's best creative efforts have come for Shankar's movies and the reason is not hard to see. IR has never had a chance to work with someone of Shankar's vision/grandeur -so chances are that the music would be something special which we have never heard of. Only a Kamal could extract Jazz out of IR, after IR had been in the industry for 30 years. Likewise a Shankar can extract something unique even after 800+ albums. We'll never know. The only problem here is the Rajni factor, which means a mandatory intro song, a dappanguthu and so on. If its more of a Shankar movie, or if IR and Shankar work in the future on a non-Rajni project, I believe the results will be..shall I say different at the very least, even if it isnt extraordinarily great.

10000% agree.

BTW I saw Nizhalgal yesterday and in once scene BGM sounded more like the BGM from MX crane scene. Also I found few Jazz in Nizhalgal. A very nice album. I would love if someone can start a seperate thread for Nizhalgal and discuss the creativity in it.

kiru
24th August 2005, 10:22 PM
Re: Shankar. This guy's movies are a bunch of music videos stitched together with inane dialogues and wafer thin storylines. I just couldn't watch Jeans even for a few minutes (inspite of that good looking actress :-)). This guy is surely talented, because he picturize the songs well and even can write some funny lyrics (like pEttai rap, which I like :-)). I think he gets a lots of support from ARR. As soon as he mentions 'modern' ARR will be happy like a kid in a candy store and come up with those trendy songs.

I suspect, as a director, he will not get enough respect from IR. IR can do suspense, thriller, comedy, folk, classical etc. I dont think just 'flash and glamor' is his cup of tea. So IR-Shankar combination is not something that is going to work.
I also disagree, that IR should not do village songs anymore. Mudhal Mariyadhai, had very simple orchestration with a bass guitar and it was wonderful. Similarly music for all bhArathirAja movies (mostly village-based) were very good. Even virumandi, had a rustic feel and the music was good. In a village song 50% is the lyrics (because you cannot do much orchestration) and here vairamuthu did a very good job in the past with IR. Now, the current lyricists for IR are not cutting it.
And I dont understand why some of you guys dont like chEran, thangar bachan et, al. We need directors like this too. We dont want to alienate much of our population in B, C centres with half-clad pale-skinned women, speaking lip-synched tamil. Maybe, you guys are all too trendy types , either I am old-fashioned or must be getting old :-)

baroque
24th August 2005, 11:07 PM
Kiru says, " I also disagree, that IR should not do village songs anymore. Mudhal Mariyadhai, had very simple orchestration with a bass guitar and it was wonderful. Similarly music for all bhArathirAja movies (mostly village-based) were very good. Even virumandi, had a rustic feel and the music was good"
Kiru, I agree with you!! Think of Mudhal Mariyaadhai, Mann vasanai, etc.. with out our Ilayaraaja! yennaley imagine pannamudiyalai!!

rags141
24th August 2005, 11:10 PM
Sucks big time....as stated earlier by somebody....this is defy IRs response for TBs immature acts....

Instead of giving a crap like this, IR could have said a big NO to TB....

Even HCIRFs will stay away from COA....also, certain songs imagining TB dancing to these tunes...will give nightmares to even the most STRONG-WILLED persons.

Lets hope KASTHOORI MAAN turns out to be another KAASI type album with lot of melodies.

Rags

vijayr
24th August 2005, 11:19 PM
Cheran and Thankar Bachan might be good directors(Cheran is better than Thankar IMO). No one is talking about their films. We are talking about the music in their films. Solla marandha kadhai had average music. It was no Mudhal mariyaadhai. Same with Kaasi. If IR is going to work on village movies he needs to work with BR or another budding BR. Because these guys(Cheran, Thankar, others) arent extracting good music out of him. And village movies in general, ofer less scope for orchestration.And lyrics is of course another sore point now with the current crop of lyricists.. COA is just another instance, along with the earlier karagaatakaari. Other wise I am not saying that Cheran or Thankar shouldnt make movies at all. I liked Autograph and thought IR would have done a much better job atleast in the BGM dept. as compared to Bharadwaj.

And secondly there is nothing wrong in scoring for trendy movies. IR was at his creative best in movies like Tik Tik Tik, Agni Natchathiram, Johny etc.which were all trendy for their times. IR would be happy seeing his songs being given justice in terms of picturization by Shankar. Usually that isnt the case. The small problem is that he(or his style) might be a little too old to match the trendiness levels expected by Shankar.But who knows..one might see IR re-inventing himself like he did for Manirathnam in the late 80s. Shankar will certainly get a lot of respect from IR because of who he is, the effort/dedication he puts into details, his discipline and the big budget that is involved.
At the very least he will get a lot more respect than the guys who made movies like Manasellam, en mana vaanil, Konji pesalam etc. :-)

alias
24th August 2005, 11:37 PM
Prabhudas, since we are talking about Shankar and not Mani Ratnam kind of director. MMD is not an exaggerated director at all. He knows what u call "Packaging" an entertainment with all ingredients. He also made movies like Chacha Bhatija which did not have many stars and it was perfect packaging I should say. So MMD is no way inferior to Shankar way of movie making. Actually I should say MMD was father for Grandeur movies which Shankar is currently famous for.

I dont know what IR would do for Shankar since he has been really unsuccessful with huge projects. Take his Hey Ram, it had good BGM but the songs are not commercial sucess and in Hindi it was super duper flop, Mumbai Xpress which was big time flop songs in both Hindi/Tamil, Virumandi had average songs and not that super hit which I think essential for Shankar-SS movie. So IR is not fit for big bugdet movies at this point of his career. well he can fit into composing BGM like he did in Lajja but not composing songs for a Shankar type of movies.

njv
25th August 2005, 12:14 AM
I suspect, as a director, he will not get enough respect from IR. IR can do suspense, thriller, comedy, folk, classical etc. I dont think just 'flash and glamor' is his cup of tea.
Vikram
Agni Natchathram
Anjali
Idhayathai Thirudathe
Kalaignan
Meera
Mumbai Xpress
Priya
Punnagai Mannan
Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal
Sakalakala Vallavan
Singaravelan
thalapathi
Tic Tic Tic

I didnt include Jhonny and Nizhalgal because its beyond what TFM can take.

If Shankar opted ARR for his first movie, there is no way he can opt IR for any future movies. It would be only Rajni factor if this combo happens.

app_engine
25th August 2005, 12:23 AM
What happened to Pratap Pothen?

He did a couple of movies as director with IR and one that I could remember is vetRi vizha which had trendy, contemporary, awesome songs...

I always had a doubt that he played some role in selecting the musical score for some (if not all) of the movies where he acted too...the songs by IR were quite trendy / different from his scores of the time period applicable & classy (nenjathaikkiLLAdhE, moodupani, eeravizhikkAviyangaL, panneer pushpangaL etc.)

I wish he directs a film with IR as MD...I'm yet to see any racy number (with terrific orchesration) to beat `mArugO, mArugO' or `thaththOm thadAngu thaththOm'...

app_engine
25th August 2005, 12:25 AM
I also have a feeling that Prathap can play guitar...it looks so natural when you see him play guitar in movies (he did it often)...It could be one reason why the songs in those films he was associated with IR had terrific guitar work...

vijayr
25th August 2005, 01:50 AM
Athma was another movie by Prathap I think, probably his last with IR. It had good songs.

vijayr
25th August 2005, 02:01 AM
IR can do good music for flash and glamour movies. It all depends on who is involved and who he is working with. If it is Kamal, IR will give his best even if it is a soft porn flick :-) The theme doesnt matter, the director/actor/banner or a combo of these three matters.

alias, IR hasnt worked in a genuine big-budget commercial movie in the last few years. Thats one of the reasons why I wanted to see IR-Shankar combo. You cannot write him off for big-budget movies. Mumbai Express was'nt one. It was made on a medium budget and Kamal messed up the audio release.IR's songs for Kamal have been highly situational in the last few years anyways, starting from Hey Ram. Same is the case with Rahman and Mani. Kannaththil muthamittal's audio wasnt a big hit.And the songs were placed in the background mostly.

krihoo
25th August 2005, 10:32 AM
he has been really unsuccessful with huge projects. Take his Hey Ram, it had good BGM but the songs are not commercial sucess and in Hindi it was super duper flop, Mumbai Xpress which was big time flop songs in both Hindi/Tamil, Virumandi had average songs and not that super hit which I think essential for Shankar-SS movie. So IR is not fit for big bugdet movies at this point of his career. well he can fit into composing BGM like he did in Lajja but not composing songs for a Shankar type of movies.

excuse me boss.......hey ram songs are very good ......that too composed in a hurry ..they are all situational songs....and gelled well with movie.....everytime raaja is doing his job well...its kamal who is unable to use the music correctly ....be it hey ram /virumaandi/MX.....all got superb music but kamal spoiled it ....now a days he is unable to use it correctly thereby making movie and also music a big flop due to his wrong decisions....
IF A SHOW PIECE IS PUT IN WRONG CORNER OF ROOM , IT SPOILS THE BEAUTY OF ROOM AS WELL AS OF ITSELF...WHY DO U BLAME THE SHOWPIECE....BLAME THE PERSON WHO HAS DINT USE IT CORRECTLY..........

Look at hey ram and virumaandi....so big and stress ful climax...for audience its too heavy ...if second half is good then even if first half is bad , ppl will forget it and make the movie hit.....and the other way though first half is oscar award winning level and second half and climax bad,THEN thats all movie is gone for good.........

and talking abt MX ....again the main song though so nice kamal put vulgarity in its picturisation and censors cut it.....gone ...remaining songs are used as bits bits ..as if for the name sake....and the whole movie is so slow , how can he expect ppl in theatres to like it ....so songs too wasted.......maybe at home in CD it wud be nice.....

take virumandi...kamal literally killed the songs except for onnai vida.........

Imagine if AR Rahman scored for VIRUMANDI , MX AND HEY RAM....Even then the movies wud be flop

from ANNAKILI to ADHU ORU KANAA KAALAM ...raaja always is doing his job well...its the ppl using his music are fluctuating and spoiling his music's reach to public.......

But i agree to u r point that for SHANKAR , IR wont suite...his TYPE and IR TYPE are different...maybe SHANKAR should change his TYPE like kadhir for IDHAYAM...and let raaja dominate...then it wud be ok ...but that wont happen.......

Shankar
25th August 2005, 03:08 PM
[tscii:ed681dbaea]alias,
>>>>>>>>>>
Take his Hey Ram, it had good BGM but the songs are not commercial sucess and in Hindi it was super duper flop
<<<<<<<<<<

Read this before you make any comment on Hey Ram...I'm not saying the reviewer (Subhash k Jha) is 'the' authority in musical reviews...Have never read such a review like this from him, for a long time now.

----------------------------------------------------------

This is not music. It is history. It is a showcase of what true genius can achieve when it sets its heart on a goal. When violin maestro L Subramaniam walked out of Hey Ram, director Kamal Haasan invited his old friend Ilayaraja to compose songs that had already been filmed. In other words, the maverick musician had to create new tunes that occupied exactly the same space and playing time as the scrapped songs!

The way Hey Ram got ignored was extremely tragic. It speaks a lot about the ignorance that is fashionable among a section of self-styled critics in Mumbai that Ilayaraja’s brilliantly atmospheric music score, capturing all the tensions, tumult, passion, fury and tragedy of those violent times when the country got splintered in two, was written off as “uninspired” and “dull”.

Let us state once and for all that it is impossible for any composer in Mumbai to achieve what Ilayaraja has done in Janmon ki jwala thi tan mein. Man, what a melody! And what heights Asha Bhosle achieves as she goes at Sameer’s uncharacteristically articulate poetry! Hariharan gives Asha ample support. But this is primarily her song. And the composition is to die for. Note this Janmon ki jwala is one of the finest love ballads in the last five years. Ilayaraja hasn’t composed words, he has composed feelings in this unsurpassable and sweet ballad.
-----------------------------------------------------------

He's talking about some "self-styled critics....written it off as uninspired and dull" :-)

and if commercial success is what you go by you shud've thrown out Bose and WOHE CDs long back...have you done that ? I still love those albums, despite being a FLOP written with a BIG F.

who knows about WOHE other than those in arr yahoo groups, and some serious music lovers (i bought it the day it was released, and i think its one of the better albums by arr)[/tscii:ed681dbaea]

krihoo
25th August 2005, 03:23 PM
Ilayaraja is like god....directors shud not force him to give what they want...they should just take what IR gives......... as prasadam ............

especially after Thiruvaasakam he is neither music director, nor music composer nor isaignani... ...he became god....music directors are ar rahman , haris jeyraj etc....composers are john williams , jerry goldsmith etc....and one and only one god ...ilayaraja .

interz
25th August 2005, 04:15 PM
stop these redicouous comparings man!!!! no human can be compared to god..he is greater than all humans.

interz
25th August 2005, 04:16 PM
stop these stupid comparings man!!!! no human can be compared to god..he is greater than all humans.

MumbaiRamki
25th August 2005, 07:55 PM
Oru Naal Oru Kanavu - Another Kadhaluku Mariyadhai ?
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?id=13924857&ctid=5&cid=2429

alias
25th August 2005, 08:01 PM
Yes, please do not compare God with any human being. There may be many IR in past and future. So dont place him in God position for Godsake.

And coming to Hey Ram, yes I do agree that the Asha Bhonsle song was a sweet ballad and the review, but the album was commercially flop and Shankar cannot afford that. It could not make it Top 10 at all. Same thing happen with Nayak except Shakala Baby and Kuruku chiritavale other songs did not go well. This time keeping in mind the budget of the movie, I think Music is very essential for Shivaji for a good opening at least in North. And as I said I want Shankar to work with genius like IR but would like him to restrict just like what Raj Kumar Santoshi did, probably compose the theme songs and BGM, leave the rest to another MD.

And one thign everyone need to understand, if this movie was just made in Tamil and Telugu, I can think the audience would defintely accept IR music (if he comes up with a granduer music) but since this is also made in Hindi, the track of IR is very very poor in North.

njv
25th August 2005, 08:11 PM
the track of IR is very very poor in North.
Taste of North is wrong. Not the track.If someone can dispute Sadma / Hey Ram / MX then they are insane. Samething happening here. People prefer NOICE over Music.

alias
25th August 2005, 08:45 PM
njv. I meant track record buddy not track :-)

emjay
25th August 2005, 11:15 PM
the track of IR is very very poor in North

I pity them!!

And as I said I want Shankar to work with genius like IR but would like him to restrict just like what Raj Kumar Santoshi did,

IR might not even blink an eye to say NO, even if "Mr. Great" Shankar prostrates before him.

thops
25th August 2005, 11:26 PM
Athma was another movie by Prathap I think, probably his last with IR. It had good songs.

i think yaathra mozhi (malayalam) is by prathap too...

alias
26th August 2005, 12:23 AM
Hey emjay, I think those times are gone for IR. Yes probably he cannot perform the same amount of work and need rest too.

njv
26th August 2005, 09:55 AM
Hey emjay, I think those times are gone for IR. Yes probably he cannot perform the same amount of work and need rest too.
This man is never gonna take rest. I just saw "Putham Puthusu" in SunTV and the first 4 movies are

oru naal oru kanavu
adhu oru kana kaalam
kasthurimaan
chidambarathil oru appusamy

COA nalla vaazhu song is very beautiful. Kasthurimaan seems to be little young and fresh. BGM for AOKK is great. A scene similar to Pithamagan when people smugle "ganja", a totally different music, still get the same feeling. Hmmm...

IR will do atleast 25% of all TFM going forward.

Shankar
26th August 2005, 11:54 AM
>>>>>>>
IR will do atleast 25% of all TFM going forward.
<<<<<<<
I just don't want him to do that ! Let him do just 1 nizhalgaL, Guru, hey ram every year...that will do...who wants the numbers anymore.

njv
26th August 2005, 04:54 PM
I know, but thats his mode of operating. He himself mentioned in many interviews that music just flows, he never think about it. My hope is out of 25%, even if he give 1% gem, that would be more than what others can do. Like Nizhalgal, yes if he make one movie like that, then he can be on top for ever!.

BTW I was in KJ Yesudas concert last week and I need to mention about the greatness of KJY seperately, but on the program he sang very few filmi song, and most of them from that too is carnatic or semi classical based.

He mentioned that IR is an out of world composition and the song "Poove Sempoove" is an out of world composition. He also told that he loved working with IR. IR ususally engages in debate and discussion with people who knows music and KJY happens to be one of the person IR freely discuss about music. Indha situationukku indha raagam nalla irukkuma, idha ippadi seiyalaama etc. After that he sang the song and that was another experience.

Concert started at 6 PM and finished at 1 AM. No body bothered about the time until KJY finshes the concert.

Chicago folks, dont miss it. I believe he has the same concert this week-end.!!!!

balaji
26th August 2005, 05:34 PM
Njv:

Was the concert you are talking about happened in NJ? I did hear in radio but missed it totally? Good for you!

If you are in NE, where do we get latest Tamil cds?

Bala

njv
26th August 2005, 05:56 PM
Yes, the one in NJ. Its hard to find Tamil CDs these days. I buy from dvdunlimitedonline.com [retail store in oak tree road]. they bring in atleast all good songs.

alias
26th August 2005, 07:21 PM
njv, Has kasturiman released? I thought they just started recording the songs. Did IR pick up his old songs and made it look like new :-) Just kidding... How are the songs?

By the way njv and Balaji, check out a audiostore opposite to Mahatma Gandhi complex in Oak tree road. I forgot the name but it is before Patel Brothers. They have good new collection and they are real cheap.

njv
26th August 2005, 08:00 PM
njv, Has kasturiman released? I thought they just started recording the songs. Did IR pick up his old songs and made it look like new :-) Just kidding... How are the songs?

By the way njv and Balaji, check out a audiostore opposite to Mahatma Gandhi complex in Oak tree road. I forgot the name but it is before Patel Brothers. They have good new collection and they are real cheap.
You mean for Tamil CDs? In oak tree only dvdunlimited, raaga and movie time sell tamil cds.