PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Old responses (5 Aug 2006)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

NagaS
11th March 2005, 03:16 PM
IR's new movie "Koodal Nagar", Directed by Seenu. Ramaswami (Balu Mahendra's Assistant)

http://tamil.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/10032005-3.shtml

NagaS

NagaS
11th March 2005, 03:16 PM
Nagas,

Translation please !

raja_fan,

its a regular news item only, no extra info other than the lyricst names,

NagaS

Cinefan
11th March 2005, 03:59 PM
IR's new movie "Koodal Nagar", Directed by Seenu. Ramaswami (Balu Mahendra's Assistant)

http://tamil.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/10032005-3.shtml

NagaS

The director is a ad film maker(Jayachandran textiles etc).'Kaadhal'fame Sandhya is the heroine.

BTW Naga,have you seen 'Kaadhal'.if not,watch it.Very down to earth movie.

NagaS
11th March 2005, 04:45 PM
cinefan,

kaathal innum paarkkalai, got an oppurtunity last weekend, used it to watch 'raam' instead :)

will try this weekend, insha allah !

NagaS

12bums
13th March 2005, 06:37 AM
Check out what Fazil has to say about the movie and Raja!

http://www.webulagam.com/cinema/cinenews/0503/12/1050312008_1.htm

multinamatheyan
22nd March 2005, 05:10 AM
YSR-ARR-IR. A rare pose indeed.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24227.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24226.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24228.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24229.html

multinamatheyan
22nd March 2005, 05:18 AM
YSR-MSV-IR

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24253.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24251.html

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24252.html

NormalMan
22nd March 2005, 11:30 AM
Prominent folks missing were (maybe their came and their photo was not uploaded),
- Rajini
- Bala
- Vijaykanth
- Vijay
- Surya & Sivakumar
- Satyaraj
- Karthik

Cinefan
22nd March 2005, 12:10 PM
Normal man,
I think Rajni's&Kastooriraja's family decided to let Aishwarya& Dhanush represent them :) while Vijay's wife Sangeetha&father SAC were present.Of the others you have mentioned it was surprising not to see Bala while Jayakanthan was an unexpected face.The political class had more people from the DMK&RMV while JJ was not to be seen(Not invited?).

crvenky
22nd March 2005, 12:14 PM
I think Vijaykanth's wife Premalath was there in the photos.

12bums
22nd March 2005, 12:18 PM
For me the surprises were that Shankar, MR and KS Ravikumar were there. Kasturiraja was seen sitting in one of the videos. The noteable absentees were Ram's Ameer, Bala, Surya, Rajini and the most glaring absence of them all - SPB!

Cinefan
22nd March 2005, 12:26 PM
For me the surprises were that Shankar, MR and KS Ravikumar were there. Kasturiraja was seen sitting in one of the videos. The noteable absentees were Ram's Ameer, Bala, Surya, Rajini and the most glaring absence of them all - SPB!

Surya is in Mumbai shooting for 'Ghazini'but wonder why Sivakumar is missing.
Infact of the singers only Chitra,Hariharan(who also conducted a prog for the reception)L.R.Eswari!&P.Susheela are seen.Where were Yesudas,S.Janaki&the others?SPB is indeed a very notable absentee.

raja_fan
22nd March 2005, 03:33 PM
Is IR's WORLD TOUR cancelled or DELAYED ..?

due to Yuvan's marriage arrangements ...??

Cinefan
22nd March 2005, 04:00 PM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/21032005-4.shtml

This article says Ameer,S.Janaki participated.

NagaS
22nd March 2005, 05:08 PM
IR's uppu released ? this page has a review ...

http://www.tamiloviam.com/unicode/03170511.asp

No cassette release ? or No songs ? :(

NagaS

raja_fan
22nd March 2005, 06:35 PM
"Where were Yesudas,S.Janaki&the others?SPB is indeed a very notable absentee."

Ennappaa ! Ellaa photovium publish panna mudiyumaa ...? Adhukkula tension aagareengale :) Avangellaam vandhu edhavadhu orathula utkaarndhu kadhai adichittu irundhirupaanga !

raja_fan
22nd March 2005, 06:44 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/yuvanreception/24228.html

See the dress of both !
is this they say "Great men wear alike" ?
:wink:

12bums
22nd March 2005, 08:16 PM
Cinefan, SJ had indeed come. She is shown in one of the videos. But yea, KJY and SPB are missing. But KJY has just sung most of the songs in Ram. Maybe his son, Vijay might have come and we missed him. The speculation is more about SPB. I could see neither him nor his son.

kbee
22nd March 2005, 09:13 PM
I saw in sun tv yesterday an ad for "Pon Megalai", music by IR. They didnt show any songs, but the movie seems to be a scary movie, so IR must have done BGM mainly.

Also IR seems to have lot of movies this year, Uppu, Pon Megalai, Mumbai Express, Adu Oru Kana Kaalam all in 1Q of 2005. Good years ahead.

Reg YSR marriage, KJY didnt go because he is in california. Not sure about SPB. I dont think SPB has any differences/issues with IR, its just that he may not be in town. SPB sung 2 songs in ME, so its not likely that he will have dissum with IR.

So many stars were not in the pic/video, but that doesnt mean that they have issues, they may be busy or didnt want to show their face in camera / india glitz didnt cover them.

MumbaiRamki
22nd March 2005, 10:03 PM
kBee ,
PonMegalai was composed as early as 2003-2004 .It has 3 excellent carnatic ,1 cinematic melody and 1 dappanguthu ...

Is it a Scary movie ???I doubt so !!!

It has charuhasan and two other Mallu heroines ..

12bums
22nd March 2005, 11:07 PM
Point taken kbee. Its nice to know that SPB has sung in ME. Also anyone knows of any site that I can download Ponmegalai from? Its not there on coolgoose. Another movie that I am trying to get hold off, without any luck is Puniyavathi.

kbee
23rd March 2005, 12:34 AM
Well in the 30 second clip they showed in SunTV a girl was running around and a man trying to chase her, the girs face looks horrible (as if she managed to escape from rape or something like that) and the back ground music did sounded scary. We will know when its out, but good to know that it has 5 songs.

MumbaiRamki
23rd March 2005, 03:29 AM
kbee ,

where did u come across that SPB has sung 2 song in ME ?

kbee
23rd March 2005, 10:09 AM
In telugu websites. It also said that the telugu version was by Kamal where as the tamil version was by SPB (I would imagine the opposite)

Cacaphonix
23rd March 2005, 11:41 AM
One other prominent figure who is missing in the wedding reception is VM (esp. when there is KB and MR), or did I miss to see him in the photo?

Hey! btw was vaali there? or, for that matter i did not see any of the lyricists, even mu.metha, pulamaipiththan, pazhanibharathy etc are also not cited.

raja_fan
23rd March 2005, 04:44 PM
Friends,

Please leave these "missing" stories and come back to the real thread !! The guys who were missing really are ourselves..! not VM, BR, SPB etc..:)

What happend to ME Audio release ?? Lets discuss that.

eden
23rd March 2005, 09:31 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/cn/cn_home.asp?newsres=2&issuedate=3/22/2005&secid=1#R–²-ÙR¨jh-UÛXVÖ[†‡¥ E£YÖh• TP• |«jf¥ |«jf¥ ¦yz¥ ÍPÖŸ

Looks like a children's fun film...there could be ample scope for innovative BGM...

eden
23rd March 2005, 09:32 PM
Please read information related to `twinkle,twinkle little *'

crvenky
24th March 2005, 12:44 PM
eden, may be we can expect another Guru (Mal).

12bums
25th March 2005, 08:27 PM
Sify says, IR scoring for Thangar Bachan's next, for which TB is going to be playing the hero! God help us!

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13702027

cry_sandiego
26th March 2005, 11:50 AM
12bums,

not sure why u are critical of TB's acting prospects. There is no data point for us to say he is bad at acting or going to be bad..If many new comers with no background in Cinema can prove to be successful, why TB, who has good experience in cinema, can't be.

I guess the notion that actors shd have skin beauty/be of young age is deeply rooted among Indian movie fans mind i guess..it all depends on the story and how it is portrayed that makes the movie successful - not how young or beautiful ( skin ) the characters have

I know you were making the comment only in a lighter note :-)

Cheers
MSK

NormalMan
27th March 2005, 05:38 AM
When is Mumbai Express audio getting released? Was it supposed to come out sometime this week?

vel
29th March 2005, 03:18 PM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13703239

vijayr
29th March 2005, 11:32 PM
well read more about it here
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/interview/6293.html

Why an audio company now?

Well, the situation demanded. I was quite impressed with Ilayaraja's tunes and felt it is my prime duty to release the audiocassette on my own. Amazing that I have an advance order for over 1.75 lakh cassettes. Major credit should to Ilayaraja and little bit to me for I was also involved in composing with the maestro.

vem
30th March 2005, 12:13 AM
Mumbai express has 4 songs (melodious and fast track)....
source - chennaionline.com

I hope ME will of the same range as other IR-Kamal musical hits such as Vikram, Aboorva Sagotharargal, Hey RAM, etc etc.

eden
30th March 2005, 01:43 AM
Interesting reading material:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/kumaran/

krish244
30th March 2005, 10:17 AM
[Posted in "Kamal-Ilayaraaja-Singeetham Rao-MUMBAI EXPRESS" aswell]

Hi All,

I got a chance to see (from midway I guess) ME's trailer (Hindi version by Sahara) on MTV. The song started like "Ayala Re...". On first hearing, I found the pallavi to be peppy and pretty catchy. Initially sounded a bit unlike IR, but midway somewhere I could make out IR's stamp. The orchestration was again different with some sax interludes. I guess Shaan is one of the singers. It was only his voice that I could guess, others no idea. On the whole, on first hearing, I felt that its a very good catchy number and it seemed to stick to the current trend. Its surely unlike IR's other recent catchy numbers.

Need to hear it again.

Krishnan

raja_fan
30th March 2005, 12:13 PM
The song ( title song ? ) resembles "Oram po, Oram po, rukkumani vandi ..." What song yaar ! I am losing hope :(

Cinefan
30th March 2005, 03:53 PM
The song ( title song ? ) resembles "Oram po, Oram po, rukkumani vandi ..." What song yaar ! I am losing hope :(

I presume you have based your comments after listening to the four lines which plays in the backround of the website.Then the only similarity that I could see was in the lyrics-oram po,rukkumani vandi varudu went that song&this one goes as...............,oram ne othu poo,vustundi vustundi mumbai expressu.I couldn't find any striking similarity in the tune.

You are disappointed after listening to four lines :o ,they don't make a complete soundtrack yaar.Wait for the audio release.Also you can't expect a haunting musical score for a satire/comedy.Is the music for Apoorva Sahodarargal,MMMK brilliant?They had catchy songs,thats it.This one also sounds quite catchy(even if only the pallavi is being played).

jaiganes
30th March 2005, 04:15 PM
Cinefan anna wrote:

Is the music for Apoorva Sahodarargal,MMMK brilliant?They had catchy songs,thats it.
vaayya vaa. nalla mattiniyaa?
Apoorva sahodharargal theme music a variation of which is played when
1. when the boat carrying srividhya floats in the river,
2. when the mother and the children are reunited
3. When finally appu goes to prison and all his pet animals come to raja (particularly the parrot).
This was one movie where raaja's rajyam was allowed to be installed by kamal.

The song "Onnai nenachen" had the best violin orchestrations of the decade and the pathos was beautiful melody.
And u say, "thats it" ?????
hmm what happened to all raja fans? All listening to thiruvasagam and gone mellow?
ps: ennai kaalai vaari vittaal naan idhuvum seiven, innamum seiven. :wink:

Cinefan
30th March 2005, 04:36 PM
Cinefan anna wrote:

Is the music for Apoorva Sahodarargal,MMMK brilliant?They had catchy songs,thats it.
vaayya vaa. nalla mattiniyaa?
Apoorva sahodharargal theme music a variation of which is played when
1. when the boat carrying srividhya floats in the river,
2. when the mother and the children are reunited
3. When finally appu goes to prison and all his pet animals come to raja (particularly the parrot).
This was one movie where raaja's rajyam was allowed to be installed by kamal.

The song "Onnai nenachen" had the best violin orchestrations of the decade and the pathos was beautiful melody.
And u say, "thats it" ?????
hmm what happened to all raja fans? All listening to thiruvasagam and gone mellow?
ps: ennai kaalai vaari vittaal naan idhuvum seiven, innamum seiven. :wink:

Ayyo Jaiganesu,naa BGM pathhi pesa ve ille.I was only trying to tell him not to expect a 'Swathi Muthyam','Sagarasangamam'in the songs.Also I have made it clear that 4 lines do not make a soundtrack.Oru comparison-kku sonna ippadi payareengale :(

Kaalai vaari vittadikku enna anti-IR group-kku thalli vittengale. :D

raja_fan
30th March 2005, 06:30 PM
Cinefan,

Thanks for the encouragement :) let us see..I am worried that it has only 4 songs..so the number of melodies will be less..

Jaiganes, I agree with you.

1. The title music of Apoorva Sahodarargal is one of the best in TFM.

2. The song "Pudhu Mappillaikku.." was very brilliant.

3. MMMK had some of the best pieces - sundari neeyum, Rambambam.. etc

vem
30th March 2005, 09:23 PM
One technique that Kamal could have adopted is use different tunes/versions for Hindi and tamil versions......

It is true that it would cost more - but considering the fact that the movie has only 4 songs, may be one could retrench the expenses.

The reason is Hindi audience in general has a different taste than Tamil. They somehow like the mixed version of songs (such as Tu tu tu tara for Raakamma kaiya thattu, neele neele ambar for Ilaya nila, koyal si teri boli for konda seval etc etc).

crvenky
1st April 2005, 12:42 PM
Dear friends,

I just saw the movie Uppu. It has been released by Veenai, Malaysia, which is widely available in the Middle East. I dont know if this movie was released in India. But you can read a review here:
http://www.tamiloviam.com/unicode/03170511.asp

The story is as touching as Kutti, focusing only on the lives of scavengers managing a living in Metros like Chennai and the 'kandhu vatti' dadas (high rate of interest money lenders). Roja has given a good performance.

Maestro, as usual, has come up with touching BGMs. Couple of 1 minute songs are there in the movie, sung by Giri and Aiswarya (new comers?). He has also introduced Paavai Koothu songs (like puppet show) sung by Pavai koothu kalaignars - Muthu Chandiran, Gobi and Muthu Murugan.

The title credit says Lyrics & Music Composer Giriraj and Background Music by Isaignani Ilayaraja. Recording R-Beat and Lakshmi Studio, Audio Engineer Jacob Rebello.

Regards

Venkatesh

kbee
1st April 2005, 06:39 PM
crvenky

where did you see the movie? in malaysia or us?

vem
1st April 2005, 08:40 PM
www.mumbaiexpress.com

buggle
1st April 2005, 08:47 PM
From 1975 to 1990 IR completed 500 films (Anjali was his 500th film and that was released in 1990 june-july).
From 1990 to 2005 is IR close to the next 500?

Could someone let us know what other MD's have achieved so far with respect to number of films
MSV - ??
ARR - ??
Deva - ??

crvenky
1st April 2005, 11:39 PM
kbee,
Original vcd released by Veena is available in Middle East.
I saw it on the vcd only.

vem
2nd April 2005, 12:11 AM
mumbaixpress.com

sorry

kbee
2nd April 2005, 01:04 AM
crvenky

Thanks, cuz the movie was never released in US, so wondering where you saw them. Thanks again

buggle

IR will compopse his 1000th film this year (yes, exact same 15 years for next 500 films), for a movie directed by his late brother's son.

Nitya
2nd April 2005, 07:49 AM
Late brother-- means who? Gangai Amaran? Or Pavalar? What film is this?

kbee
2nd April 2005, 09:25 AM
Pavalar - movie is not named yet. I was hoping that he will do for Kamal or his own story (for which he has been trying to find a producer_.

BTW its Pavalar.

NagaS
2nd April 2005, 06:30 PM
Late brother-- means who? Gangai Amaran? Or Pavalar? What film is this?

Come-on Nitya, Gangai amaran is not 'late' yet :)

NagaS

Nitya
3rd April 2005, 12:19 PM
Ah good. That's a relief.

Cacaphonix
4th April 2005, 01:20 PM
IR's 1000th film? I doubt that. I think he is atleast a 100 movies short of 1000th.

Remember Kamal announced Hey!Ram to be IR's 735th & 736th movies or 835th and 836th movies? I cannot point out beyond about 20 films of IR after Hey!Ram to till date.

Nitya
5th April 2005, 09:04 AM
I was in for quite a surprise when I saw Mumbai Express songs available at Music India Online tonight. My first impression was, now here's a different side of Ilayaraja. No raaga-based folky songs. Instead the songs are jazzy, as I have read from other folks, and I like jazz, so I am satisfied with the end product. But be warned, these songs won't appeal to everybody.

jaiganes
5th April 2005, 11:51 AM
Nitya wrote:

But be warned, these songs won't appeal to everybody.
Already our good friend vijayr has proven this statement of yours in the Mumbai Express thread.

vem
6th April 2005, 10:30 PM
surprising tech stuff from IR. Mumbaixpress songs r basically kadi songs with each song extending to more than 5 minutes.

Most of the tunes sound very familiar (so they dont sound fresh) and they get boring after a while......

this is the first IR album which sounded totally crap (like ARR's Love Birds) - too much tech stuff with very familiar tunes and unnecessary dialogues in between.

Very surprising to see how Kamal actually Okayed these songs.

pro
7th April 2005, 05:55 AM
Mumbai Express is very disapointing in many aspects.

A. This year raised big expectations for all ilayaraja fans, because of mumbai express, Balu mahendras ATHU ORU KANAA KALAM , fazils ORU NAAL ORU KANAVU , thiruvasagam in symphony, moods of ilayaraja and all. The first wicket has gone for a duck. Hope the rest salvage the situation.

B. The general impression that i gathered from ilayarajas scores in the recent years was that he is no more motivated enough to give good scores for mediocre movies with similar , repetetive situations, but he reserved the best for movies from good directors like Balu mahendra, fazil or bala.It is sad he cannot compose even a decent score for a good creative director like kamal, which makes me wonder, if there is any point in stretching his career

C. I dont understand the rationale of kamal while making and marketing this album. First of all , four songs in a cassette is too little(although two more similar songs would just have prolonged the torture). Nobody is going to buy a cassette for just four songs. The sensible thing would have been to have atleast six songs and use only four songs in the movie. And the fact that three out of four songs do not even qualify to be called as listenable songs, is too disappointing.The music is not yet available in shops , which nullifies the use of music as an introduction to the movie. The music is now available free online and after listening to this , i dont think anybody is going to buy the cassette at all. Kamal has managed to achieve a big loss from the jaws of near certain success.

D. It is easy to delude ourselves by the argument that it is jazz music and it will grow upon us,but we all know that it is not the truth. The songs suck big time.I agree that there are jazz elements in the song, but they do not enhance the song in any way.

E. I wonder, where hungarian orchestra was used in the album, and if they were used, what was the necessity. There were no elements of orchestral music in the whole album.

F. Some people make the stupid argument that all his songs are great and the songs which we feel are not good are because they are too complicated to be understood by ordinary folks. Nothing can be further from the truth. All the songs cannot be treated in the same way. We like the great songs of ilayaraja and we also know many songs which are ordinary. As a composer he is entitled to make music the way he wants and it is our right to have our own likes and dislikes.

G. Thiruvasagam is going to be another painful disappointment. A product nees to have commerical or creative viability for it to enter market. from the beginning there wre no tkaers for the project. I donated 500 dollars for the project, just because of my affection for the Maestro.But i never had any illusion about the success of the project. A project which needs donation from the fans, which needs fans for marketing and distribution and bought by the fans, is not a viable project.The fact that there was no music company willing to make it is ample proof. Remember, ilayarja has scored more than 800 movies and many non film albums. None of them involved raising money or marketing by fans. they sold by their merit. that is how a creative product must be sold.

Although as an ilayaraja fan it pains me to say this, i think it is high time that ilayaraja retires from film music. When he cant motivate himself. His recent failures will only manage to take away the sheen of his brilliant early works in the late seventies and eighties

inetk
7th April 2005, 09:39 AM
Finally, one honest review of MX! Honest, from my perspective of course. If someone else likes it, I've no issues with it. Obviously.

BTW, there are couple of more trashes by ARR ala Love Birds - Mr Romeo, for instance. Wonder what he was thinking while composing for that one.

Now, I have no intention of starting another war here, but would like to know the comparitive use of Jazz (so-called!) in MX (IR) and Kaadhal Virus/ Iruvar (ARR). The assumption here is that both have used their own interpretations of jazz to suit Tamil audiences. I DO NOT want to know who did better (in terms of an opinion), but who succeeded in bringing out this genre better, within the parameters of film music! I'm sure we coud take up some other IR song that has jazz influences for such comparison - if MX isnt considered the best example.

jaiganes
7th April 2005, 10:38 AM
cant stop laughing at the posting of these geniuses!!!
:lol: :rotfl:

Cinefan
7th April 2005, 11:00 AM
cant stop laughing at the posting of these geniuses!!!
:lol: :rotfl:

Jai,forget it.Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.I liked the music on first hearing&won't mind spending 45/- on the cassette for 3 songs&theme music.It doesn't make any difference to me if someone else didn't like it.Period.

NagaS
7th April 2005, 03:20 PM
this site http://www.tamilcinema.com/ says Bala's "B Studios" is going to produce a movie with madhavan as hero & bala's gurunathar balu mahendra director.

No mention of MD, But it would be IR I guess ...

NagaS

thumburu
7th April 2005, 04:55 PM
Just got to listen to only 2 songs of MExp "poopoothadhu" and "kurangu kaiyil". My impression after the maiden hearing is
IR tries to cater to the urbane crowd after a long time. While the former is a melody with some jazz strewn , the later song has more jazz to it. The last jazz that i heard in TFM is from the banal KadhalVirus. "Kurangu kaiyil" has a better tune and orchestration IMO than the contrived KadhalVirus song.

vem
8th April 2005, 02:21 AM
Dudes
It is not that Mxpress is bad - It is just that those songs could have easily been scored by Bharadwaj, SAR or even Bharani.
IR's music is unique and also some of his songs r divine.... They can even change the moods of the listeners...
For eg, Raj TV is going to show a KB program and they used the Punnagai mannan music for advertisement.... It was so refreshing to hear that music - One can really feel the freshness and purity of that tune :))
Most IR fans love his melodies rather than his techie songs... As an IR fan for the past 30 years, I expect atleast one melodious song in every film - I was just extremely pleased when Pithamagan had Ilankathu visuthe and Azhagi had Oliyile which had the IR Quality.
In that aspect, I am disappointed with Mxpress. The reason could have been lack of complete freedom due to Kamal's interference.The only so called melody Poo puthatho sounds like a typical Deva melody...
BM's Adhu oru kana kalam looks is the next IR album to be released. He kinda cut short all the songs from Julie Ganapthy. I just hope he doesnt do that in AOK.

MX can still appeal to some of IR fans. So folks - give it a shot atleast once !!!

NormalMan
8th April 2005, 05:00 AM
Its all because of Karthik Raja. I can see his stupid synth disturbing the great jazzy effect IR was trying to create.

I'm getting hooked onto the theme song now. Maybe this was done in Hungary.

tmrrmt
8th April 2005, 11:39 AM
vem - "It is not that Mxpress is bad - It is just that those songs could have easily been scored by Bharadwaj, SAR or even Bharani" "The only so called melody Poo puthatho sounds like a typical Deva melody... "

I strongly disagree with you - if Kamal thought a Bharadwaj, SAR or even Bharani, could come up with such scores, he would have gone for them and would have spent much less for the music and probably would have hit a commercial jackpot, since the above three names have a certain (although time-bound) mass appeal - so why would KH go to IR and get the music done ? not out of his friendship alone - but out of the implicit knowledge that only IR can deliver the goods that KH has in mind

For that matter, KH need not go to any composer in the first place! since he has an in-depth knowledge of music himself, he could have composed the entire score himself, a la, Bagyaraj for 'idhu namma aalu'!

'Poo poothadhu' and Deva ! give me a break, will you - probably the only sore point about that song is the short second interlude, which is filled with a little monotonous humming - as an ardent IR fan (for the last 25 years!), I would have expected IR to come with the use of a violin ensemble instead - barring that, the song is a gem - let us also keep in mind that any undue use of a violin ensemble would not have gelled well with the contemporary musical tastes nation-wide, especially in case of Bollywood fans! the commercial/business angle is what I percieve has forced IR-KH duo to compromise a bit and yet come up with a creative output!

p
9th April 2005, 12:48 AM
Couple of IR related articles in current issue of vikatan

Chitra on IR
http://www.vikatan.com/av/2005/apr/17042005/av0505.asp
ரொம்ப சந்தோஷமா இருக்கேன். இந்த பத்மஸ்ரீ விருது எனக்கானது இல்லை...என் குரு ராஜா சாருக்குச் சேர வேண்டியது.
அவரோட ரிக்கார்டிங் தியேட்டரில் நின்னு நான் முதன் முதலில் ‘பூஜைக்கேத்த பூவிது!’ பாடினது
இப்பவும் அப்படியே நினைவில் இருக்கு. அப்போதிருந்து இப்போ வரைக்கும், ஒரு தகப்பன் ஸ்தானத்திலிருந்து
என்னை ஆசீர்வதித்து வழிநடத்துவது அவர்தான்! என்கிறார் சித்ரா நெகிழ்ச்சியுடன்.

Surya on IR
http://www.vikatan.com/av/2005/apr/17042005/av0503.asp
நிறைய மியூஸிக் கேட்பேன். அப்போ இப்போ எப்பவுமே என் சாய்ஸ் இதயம் கலந்து உயிரில் கரையும் இளையராஜா!

vijayr
9th April 2005, 12:56 AM
Bharadwaj, SAR or Bharani could have easily come up with the tunes is what vem is trying to say probably. The interludes are special and different(in 2 songs). But the tunes, especially Kurangu kayyil and Yele are no more creative than "kaasu mela kaasu vandhu" or "kokkara ko kozi" or even "appadi podu". And that pulls the whole song down and makes it less hip. I listened to "POttu vaitha kaadhal dhittam" yesterday and it sounds more hip than ME songs, mainly because of the high-octane tune, Kamal's rendition and the overall flow the song maintains. ME songs are good only in patches and provide a non-uniform listening experience.
Even poo pothadhu's tuen could have easily been scored by Deva. His "en manadhai koLLai adithavaLE" or "kaakkai chiraginile nandhalaala" should be proof enough

vem
9th April 2005, 01:29 AM
tmrrmt
U may be right. May be the songs r special that I am not noticing.

BTW, are the casettes/CDs available for sale. As PRO pointed out, Mxpress has to come with a combo as it has only 4 songs.

Of the musicians u had mentioned, u missed T.Rajendar. God -some of his songs from Uyirullavarai Usha, Thangai kor geetham, Maithili ennai kaathali, Oru thalai raagam r just absolutely great !!!! He had the IR touch !!! I guess he stopped doing music nowadays.

Music wise, MX and CM have been released. It is time to move on for GodFather and the much eagarly awaited Anniyan.

I think this Tamil New Years day will mostly decide the fate of many actors :)))

multinamatheyan
9th April 2005, 02:17 AM
" I guess he stopped doing music nowadays. "

Vem,

No such luck. He is still scoring 'music'. People just stopped listening.

His next offering is going to be Veerasamy, if you dare listen :P

tmrrmt
9th April 2005, 09:00 AM
'His next offering is going to be Veerasamy, if you dare listen' - ROFTL - that was hilarious MNT!

vel
9th April 2005, 01:05 PM
This is totally unexpected & unusual stuff from IR...From initial listening, this is true gripping jazz, largely unheard in TFM...Go get ur copies ppl...

tmrrmt
9th April 2005, 01:37 PM
Vel, has the audio been released ????

crvenky
9th April 2005, 05:26 PM
If you want Uppu songs/BGM, please join my group and get it:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MaestroMagic

kbee
10th April 2005, 09:40 AM
IR's 1000th film? I doubt that. I think he is atleast a 100 movies short of 1000th.

Remember Kamal announced Hey!Ram to be IR's 735th & 736th movies or 835th and 836th movies? I cannot point out beyond about 20 films of IR after Hey!Ram to till date.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I composed the list of movies by IR from (thanks to raajangham and few other sites) upto year 2000, and its coming out 1014.

If you remove the dubbed movies (but include remakes since remake ususally has different music scores), its coming out to more than 900.

Click the following URL to see the list

http://www.dvdunlimitedonline.com/raaja.htm

If you include movies between 2001 and 2005, it will add another 200 to the list (yes, while he was not doing anything major in tamil, he was scoring movies for malayalam (some of them very rare gems), telugu and kannada.

I hope that the news about his 1000th movie this year is true.

vel
10th April 2005, 01:43 PM
tmrrmt,

it is available in chennai...i got the cassette, but i am now also going for a CD copy..

MXpress is a jazzie gift from IR...

Sanjeevi
10th April 2005, 05:48 PM
:cry:

Audio sould be released atleast before 15 days from the date of film release. But I still I can't get MX CD/cassette.

Why?

Kamal, Ithukuthan neenga Audio Company Arampicheengala?

Kodumaida Samy.

MLM companya nambi emanthu poidatheengal.

kbee
12th April 2005, 01:30 AM
i checked with my distributor. MX CD in Tamil is on hold. The still havent decided on the price yet.

MX CD in Hindi will be released by Venus tomorrow. So atleast you can listen to hindi version.

saisiv
13th April 2005, 12:43 AM
MXpress - Review
http://www.chennaionline.com/music/FilmsAudio/2005/04mumbaixpress.asp

irfansong
14th April 2005, 08:57 AM
HI Dudes,

U can use www.coolgoose.com for downloading all the IR songs... So amazing thing is I got the rarest song ' Sevanthi pookalil seitha veedu ' from that site. I was very fond of that song. A bit craze too. I was searching everywhere using google. I didn't get it. then finally, this site had the song and I downloaded it.

Just visit and search for whaterver song u want to download.

Love
Irfan

vem
14th April 2005, 06:59 PM
some rare songs from coolgoose

1. Nanda ne en nila sung by SPB
2. Paattinge from Poo vizhi vaasalile
3. Manidha mnaidha from kan sivanthal mann sivakkum
4. Ilampani thulir from Aaradhanai
5. Poonthalirada from Panner pushpangal

vijayr
14th April 2005, 07:05 PM
vem, nanda en nila is not by IR, its by Dakshinamoorthy

vem
15th April 2005, 08:02 PM
MX review in http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/15mumbaixp.htm

The gist of this is that "MX is a trash"

vem
15th April 2005, 08:10 PM
Tamil version review in http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/15xpress.htm

This says that it is yet another classic !!!!

Surprising how Northies and Southies value the same item so differently !!!

app_engine
15th April 2005, 08:55 PM
vem, I think both reviewers are from `chEra' nAdu:-) rediff is 99% malayalis and each one can have a distinct taste (like the political parties there)...In general, you got to view them more as individual opinions and less as unbiased reviews...all IMHO.

12bums
15th April 2005, 11:36 PM
vem, I am not able to find paattinge from poovizhi vaasalile in coolgoose? Any suggestions as where to find it?I am desperate to get it.

vem
15th April 2005, 11:49 PM
12bums
Please search for Aattam ingey in coolgoose.

or http://web.music.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=74345

multinamatheyan
16th April 2005, 12:22 AM
Vem,

This chick Sneha May Francis is one hell of an 'intelligent' woman.

She thinks Ramesh Arvind is a "Telugu superstar"

That's something none of us ever knew.

She goes on to say, among other things, "The special effects are garish and superfluous."

What does she mean by that? The two adjectives she used mean the complete opposite? Sort of like the review by her and Shoba Warriar.

Hmmm.

kbee
16th April 2005, 12:30 AM
Tamil version review in http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/15xpress.htm

This says that it is yet another classic !!!!

Surprising how Northies and Southies value the same item so differently !!!

Vem

Take my word. It will be a bigger hit in Hindi than Tamil, cuz hindi people love these kind of comedy. Think about

Hera Pheri - (Arangettra Velai in Tamil), Not at all a good movie, but one of hte biggest comedy hit in Hindi (owing to Paresh Rawal).
Hungama -> A total confusion movie, but a greatest hit
Hulchul -> Same climax as in the previous, but a great hit

Having watched the behavior of nothies watching movie, this sure will be a big hit. The only glitch here is the no. of songs. Who knows, they may like it even better with less songs.

On top of that, northies love Kamalji as they call him!

12bums
16th April 2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks vem

jaiganes
16th April 2005, 09:22 AM
12bums!
U too like attam inge!! I love that song. It has a unique feel with the female chorus singing in harmony with the instruments and Malaysia Vasudevan punching the counterpoints in a distinctive way. I like the cool way when the chorus sings "Innisai Oviyam..." It felt so much like "Baath ban jaaye", but very original in tune and composition. Sad that it was a short song. Would have loved to hear it for 5-6 mins. When seen with the picture it gives a "eery feel". PArticularly when Baby Sujitha sees Raghuvaran and Babu Antony!!! The music and the scene sends a shudder through the spine. Oblivious to all this, MV continues to counterpoint with "Asayum manadhirku.." Oh What a scene and what an original composition for a unique scene!!! Neatly done, deeply etched in this "small mind".

vem
17th April 2005, 01:24 AM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?cid=2429

natha1729
17th April 2005, 07:07 AM
http://www.hindu.com/lf/2005/04/12/stories/2005041200590200.htm

natha1729
17th April 2005, 07:09 AM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/20/m/music_director.504/

natha1729
17th April 2005, 07:20 AM
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Mal - hearing it, just happened to be on musicindiaonline.com, pleasantly surprised.

first listening - very dynamic and sounds exotic, though popish, "fresh fresh", a Sambhu IR (not the ME IR - all that stale broadway sounds and predictable jazz fluxes, thank God!)

teja
17th April 2005, 08:13 AM
Cool songs. :thumbsup:
Vintage IR.
After first hearing, my picks are "Ethetho Janmathil" by KSC and "Manathe Thamara" by MGSreekumar, Jyotsna.
First one is a haunting melody, the other one is a foot tapping catchy number.

Nitya
17th April 2005, 08:16 AM
Two songs, namely 'Ethetho Janmathil' and 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', show traces of freshness, but on the whole, if Ilayaraja went back to using nonsynthesized instruments, that would be oh, such a pleasant change. This is what IR needs to hear urgently.

balaji
17th April 2005, 08:36 AM
Ethetho Janmathil by KSC is smooth (KJY should have not been selected)

Chilanka Chilanka is nice too, but the voices seem so overlapped.

Why is Magic Journey and Hey You have the same beat? the starting sounds so silar -- Average

Manathe Tamara resembles 'Asaiya Kaathula', but nice to hear MGS voice ...

TTS is good too

On the whole an impressive album..

Need to hear few more times...

Bala

rajasaranam
18th April 2005, 03:38 PM
what's this?!! not yet recovered from MX now TTLS has realeased :)
The songs sounded cool in first listening one song sounded like ' Iravu nilavu' frm Anjali
'Hey you' sounds like out and out english pop music of the 80's
'Ethetho jenmathil' will be my pick of the album. let me listen more and get back folks
till then enjoy our Raja's world
:)

rajasaranam
18th April 2005, 10:04 PM
Raja seems to obssessed with the song 'Aasaya Kaathula thoothu vittu' Right now :)
Just a few months back 'Ponmudipuzhayorathu' was released with a variation of the song titled 'Paandathe naattinpuram' now in this movie he does it again.
Can anybody give me a clue of what was its variation in telugu. i heard it long back dont remember the movie or song name.
Teja are you here :)

12bums
18th April 2005, 11:41 PM
Jaiganes

thanks for the review of the song. I can now explore the song on so many more levels! Another song that I am into is Vaanam Keezhe from Thoongaathe Thambi Thoongaathe. The drums are awesome. Another song that makes the case for IR to go acoustic!

BTW is TTLS is the childrens movie that IR was supposed to score for?

12bums
18th April 2005, 11:53 PM
Eppom Raasa functions ellam attend panna aarambichaaru??!Athum music release functions? :D

vem
19th April 2005, 07:34 AM
12bums
In terms of IR songs with trumpets/lavish use of instruments, we can list Vaanam kizhe, Paattinge, Sorgam madhuvile as the best.

The last song is from Sattam En Kayil and one of the best IR songs and superbly sung by SPB.....

thops
19th April 2005, 08:42 AM
raajasaranam...i think it is "naa sari sogari" from chakravyuham if my memory serves me right...sung by chithra...

jaiganes
19th April 2005, 10:38 AM
vem wrote:

In terms of IR songs with trumpets/lavish use of instruments, we can list Vaanam kizhe, Paattinge, Sorgam madhuvile as the best.
Add "seevi sinukkeduthu" from Vetri vizha to that list. When Vetri vizha was released, I liked the quintessential "Maarugo Marugo" and "Poongatru un paer solla" more than other songs. Decades after, I am rediscovering songs like "Seevi sinukkeduthu", 'vaanamenna keezhirukku" and "Thathom thalaangu". I am loving the heavy acoustics and piano. "Seevi sinukkeduthu" is what i would put as Thamizh folk dressed in western dress. The kind of song that is, it provides aural entertainment at various levels and entertains a WCM lover to some beautiful trumpets while making our (thamizhar) feets dance to the charanams. It is mind blowing in the sense that IR has made two different music forms coexist in one song delighting the lovers of both music forms!!! This is dissolving both forms of music into a synthesized new IR form of music!! It is like both forms of music have married and begotten a child, which to those from father's side looks like the father and to those from mother's side resembles the mother. Yet the child is unique in its own way. The ultimate joy of creation!!

vem
19th April 2005, 07:35 PM
I have never heard that song from Vetri Vizha - I know thathom song.....

I will listen to it "Seevi...."

Does that song come in the movie ?

vijayr
19th April 2005, 09:36 PM
The starting voices/humming in "Hey you" song in TTLS(which gets repeated during the course of the song) is ditto that of "mushkil bada hey pyar hai" song's start from Gupt. But Viju Shah himself lifted it from somewhere else - probably same synthesized sound sample. Not sure if Karthik Raja had a role to play in this(and in some other songs as well in this album which sound like amateurish 80s disco). Chithra's yedhedho Janmathil alone is worth a second listen. KJY/MGS are well past their retirement mark.

vem
19th April 2005, 11:10 PM
Guys
Whenever someone says that some IR techno song is bad , KR is always attributed to this :)

It is true that KR is not as popular as YSR - But it was he who delivered Pandiyanin Rajiyathil, a melodious song......

His songs from pow(Dum,3) were also OK.....

KR - where the hell r u ????

kiru
20th April 2005, 02:09 AM
enna pa ithu..I used to think IR was very good consistently in malayalam (unlike tamil)..but now edhO thisthi pattuduchunnu ninaikkirEn. Only the twinkle twinkle little star is completely fresh ..edho jenmathil starts nice but still not very appealing to me. As kbee mentioned songs sounding like 80s pop should have been completely avoided (heard similar sounds in en mana vaanil, which made me squirm). Magic journey has anjali hangover..another song is aasaiya kaathula recyled ..hmm.. this is not at all making me feel good.

Vysar
20th April 2005, 06:02 PM
Karagatakkari audio profits the producer to produce another movie

http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/heroines/vilasini.html

vem
21st April 2005, 04:46 AM
Veracity of that link is very questionabe !!!
Karagattakari was a very bad album which was not even 1% of karagattakaran......

i dont know anybody in this holy world having the CD/casette of that movie.... we need to see if anybody released the album :)

Nitya
21st April 2005, 06:50 AM
In the words of vijay:

The starting voices/humming in "Hey you" song in TTLS(which gets repeated during the course of the song) is ditto that of "mushkil bada hey pyar hai" song's start from Gupt. But Viju Shah himself lifted it from somewhere else - probably same synthesized sound sample.

You know, it's funny, and also sad, that IR would resort to copying from such an overrated composer such as Viju Shah. I remember, when the audio of 'Pyar Ishq Aur Mohabbat' was released, all the Hindi reviewers talked about it as if it were the greatest thing that ever happened. They made comments such as:
"The album sure lives up to its title, in that you're sure to fall in love with it." Are you!? I didn't fall in love with it.
"With its mix of modern instrumentation and melody, it leaves everyone happy." That's funny. It didn't leave me happy. As far as I'm concerned, Viju Shah is just an overrated MD. And I can't make out, why would IR want to copy off that guy? It must be all about making a salary! Or maybe, just doing 800+ films is enough to burn all the talent out of the man. Fortunately, some of the other songs in 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' are worthwhile compositions, as I think I have mentioned earlier.

NagaS
21st April 2005, 12:07 PM
i dont know anybody in this holy world having the CD/casette of that movie

I have it :) hehehe !

NagaS

NagaS
21st April 2005, 12:08 PM
IR's new movie "poo pookkum oosai" ... Hero : Hari Bhaskar (Son of IR's brother R. D. Baskar)

NagaS

NagaS
21st April 2005, 12:10 PM
Watched MXpress @ salem. I liked it very much - kamal plays a modern charlie chaplin (so many similarities :) but this movie is a lot different from his other comedies ...

Only negatives are - manisha's character is wasted, poo pooththathu is the ONLY full song in the movie, that too falls in some ackward place and doesn't make any impression at all, BGM is good, But the climax is very fast and I am not sure if our vegujanam will appreciate / understand it !

NagaS

NagaS
21st April 2005, 12:12 PM
Guru RamaNa Geetham is now available in india with symphony audios - I got the CD for Rs 95/- Not sure about the cassette :(

NagaS

12bums
21st April 2005, 01:13 PM
NagaS, why only vegujanam, even Taran Adarsh who gave good reviews for ME, compares it to David Dhawan comedies. Seems like that even he has missed the point.

And why is it, that when IR tries something pathbreaking, it has to end up like this ? - First Avatharam, now ME?

alias
21st April 2005, 08:15 PM
IR's new movie "poo pookkum oosai" ... Hero : Hari Bhaskar (Son of IR's brother R. D. Baskar)

NagaS

No, NagaS the music is by Yuvan

NagaS
21st April 2005, 08:17 PM

NagaS

No, NagaS the music is by Yuvan

alias, Hari Bhaskar acts in two movies vyuham (MD : Yuvan) and poo pookkum oosai (MD : IR)

I read this news item with IR's name in yesterday's dinathanthi (IR isaiyil uruvaagum 'poo pookkum oosai' was the heading)

NagaS

vijayr
22nd April 2005, 01:25 AM
Nitya, I dont think IR lifted it from Viju Shah. I think its a common source-some synthesized sound sample that both of them used. IR has better things to do than listen to Viju Shah's 7-year old albums:-) On a related note, I am upset at the heavy usage of electronic kits and synthesized sounds in place of natural instruments of late (even in MalluFM). Sign of changing times? "Unnai thedi thedi" from Konji Pesalam, a very soulful vintage IR melody has lacklustre synth-heavy interludes. Even without those interludes at all the song
would have been much better. I still listen to it though.

Hope TIS comes to the rescue.

teja
22nd April 2005, 02:53 AM
Nitya,
Vijayr is right. I've heard that sound in many telugu songs too. You can't call it a lift.

jagannn
22nd April 2005, 09:46 AM
Teja,

Do you have songs of Mahadev in CD version ?..

I was desperately trying for thsi album with out success..

Can you help me locating this album ? Also i need some rare telugu songs of IR.

teja
22nd April 2005, 10:22 AM
We just find ways to come up with write ups on IR :)
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/audio/blastfrompast.shtml

Jagann,
I only have one song from Mahadev (mujhe baahon) - on tape!
Even I'm searching for a CD version. No success yet.
What telugu songs are you looking for?

jagannn
22nd April 2005, 12:35 PM
Teja,

Iam looking for songs from Merupudadi ( dute by SJ& SPB)
Sahasame jeevitham, Gopalraogari abbayi,priyathama etc..

tmrrmt
22nd April 2005, 01:07 PM
jagannn - one rare Telugu song by IR - "Ninnu choosina" from CHinnabbaayi (1996 ?) - both pallavi and charanam have unusual beat pattern (the kind of unusualness that you wud associate with the song "Padum vanambadi" from Unnai Naan Sandhithhaen) and the interludes are akin to those from 'Ninaikkinra paadhayil' from Athma - vintage IR melody - when SPB sings
"Eee maayi marmam" in the stanza after the female version stops, you can feel honey dripping out of your CD/cassette player - and again when SPB hums an aalap as a counterpoint to the female voice towards the end of the song - the same honey dripping effect!

jagannn
22nd April 2005, 03:41 PM
tmrrmt

Thanks for reminding that song. Real classic. There is also another in the same film "Na Patallo ragalanni " a very good composition indeed.

The composing was done after the lyrics were written.IMHO IR was not comfortable with the way the lyrics were prolonged (due credit to the Director) . You will definitely experience this when you hear the songs closely.

tmrrmt
22nd April 2005, 04:03 PM
and the director was/is good old K.Vishwanath !!

teja
22nd April 2005, 08:47 PM
Jagan,
I've uploaded Priyatama song...
http://www.themelody.net/jukebox.htm
That's one of my all time fav.
Simple - yet melodious tune.
Especially, swarnalatha's voice adds a haunting touch to the song.

btw, I digitally enhanced that song :)
These days, I took up a small side project of digitally enhancing IR's telugu songs on Echo tapes.
Recording quality on those Echo tapes is just awful. High treble, low bass, and that tape hiss! I was never able to play them in high volume.
So, I'm enhancing those songs by applying noise reduction, FFT filter and subtle bass boost. Then an extra pass through the compressor and limiter enhances the instruments and suppresses the high pitch vocals.
Check it out and let me know.

tmrrmt
22nd April 2005, 09:07 PM
Teja -

can you upload "Ninnu choosina" from CHinnabbaayi (1996 ?) in coolgoose ?

app_engine
22nd April 2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.dinamani.com/Malar/Ilayaraja/
Looks like this may have some interesting info...can anyone who has subscription to dinamani post an abstract?

Nitya
23rd April 2005, 01:04 AM
Vijay, it sounded as if you said "IR had lifted the orchestration off of Viju Shah's." Anyway, I agree with you fully that synthesized orchestration is never as good as natural orchestration.

balaji
23rd April 2005, 08:03 PM
Teja

Thanks for the link.

Pardhoo has always has provided a balanced outlook of the great yesteryears.

However his comparison of "poovizhi Vasalile" to the telugu version sounds unbalanced IMHO. Pasividi Praanam had only one good number 'Kashmiri .. lo, Kanya kumari.., O chanda Mama'. The rest of them were all usual CHakravarthy stuff. The Tamil Movie had excellent songs.

His comments that Telugu version of "16 Vayathinile" had better songs is a misstatement IMHO. I have no heard the original "Mappillai" songs, so I cannot comment on them.

Chakravarthy was a popular MD no doubt and had provided music that became great hits, but most of them were very repetitive and rythm based. To compare him to MSV/KVM/IR/ARR is a little far fetched

BY the way, I loved his 'I love you Sujatha SOng' from Kodeswaran Magal.

Bala

teja
25th April 2005, 07:26 AM
Teja -

can you upload "Ninnu choosina" from CHinnabbaayi (1996 ?) in coolgoose ?
http://www.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=175113

Balaji,
I agree with you. IMO, whatever said and done, Chakravarthy is responsible for taking telugu film music down the drain after the golden era till early 70's. Ilayaraja came to the rescue from time to time...
Chakravarthy composed for ~900+ films, but the good ones out of those 900*5 songs are < 10.

thumburu
25th April 2005, 02:06 PM
tmrrmt, "Padum vanambadi" song is from "Naan paadum padal".

A few posts back, while there was discussion on "vetri vizha songs", the song that sends a rush of hot blood down my head is the underrated "thathom thalaanga thathom" sung by SPB and SJ.This song could have probably been a popular dance floor song for the yesteryear hiphop crowd and is very reflective of the disco fad of the 80's.Everytime, Iam awestruck at the way the guitar drives the rythm along with acoustic drums. The high pitched violins in the lines
"thazhuvattum thazhuvattum
iLavattam iLavattam" is the crowning point

tmrrmt
25th April 2005, 02:33 PM
thumburu - the overall poor quality of the recording + a mediocre tune + horrendoud singing by SJ were major negative points about that song from Vetri Vizha - it is the guitar, violin accompaniments and the interludes that make this song listenable

tmrrmt
25th April 2005, 02:34 PM
Correction - pls. read 'horrendoud' as 'horrendous'

vem
25th April 2005, 11:23 PM
mumbai xpress movie review http://www.chennaionline.com/film/Moviereviews/2005/04mumbaiexpress.asp

says that the movie is a kadi -

tmrrmt
26th April 2005, 09:00 AM
teja - thanks for the link - can you also upload the telugu and hindi versions of Mumbai Xpress ?
Thanks

Cinefan
26th April 2005, 10:32 AM
mumbai xpress movie review http://www.chennaionline.com/film/Moviereviews/2005/04mumbaiexpress.asp

says that the movie is a kadi -

The same site had a review of the film in it's 'Youth club' section last week where the reviewer had gone ga-ga.

NagaS
26th April 2005, 07:23 PM
[tscii:06eec72e2d]Fazil on IR (From Kumudam magazine - Font is Unicode)

நீங்கள் தமிழில் எடுத்தால் இசை இளையராஜாதான். அப்படி என்ன காரணம் இருக்கு இந்தக் கூட்டணிக்கு ?

இளையராஜா சுயம்பு. அவருக்கு எல்லாமே தெரியும். எதையும் மனசில் உள்வாங்கிட்டுத்தான் இறங்குகிறார். இன்னமும் இசையின்மேல் மாறாத காதல் இருந்ததுகிட்டே இருக்கு. அவருக்கு பாசிலுக்கு என்ன வேணும்ன்னு தெரியும். பாரதிராஜா விரும்புவது தெரியும். மணி ரத்தினத்தின் எண்ண ஓட்டத்தை அறிவார்.

ஆயிரம் கட்டடங்கள் செங்குத்தாக எழலாம். தஞ்சை கோபுரம்தான் உங்கள் பெருமையைச் சொல்லமுடியும்.

- இயக்குனர் ·பாசில் பேட்டி - நா. கதிர்வேலன் - குமுதம் 28 03 2005[/tscii:06eec72e2d]

NormalMan
26th April 2005, 08:16 PM
"ஆயிரம் கட்டடங்கள் செங்குத்தாக எழலாம். தஞ்சை கோபுரம்தான் உங்கள் பெருமையைச் சொல்லமுடியும்."

Impressive quote.

kbee
26th April 2005, 08:18 PM
NagaS

Thanks for the posting. "AAyiram kattidangal Senguththaga Ezhalaam. Thanjai Gopuramthaan Ungal Perumaiyai Solla Mudiyum"

Oru malayalikku therinja thamiz perumi "tamil tamil"nu maaradikkara thamizanukku theriyalae.

Thanks again.

NagaS
27th April 2005, 06:35 PM
thats what I liked about fazil's interviews - he talks like a poet - when talking abt his movies / themes / artists and ofcourse, abut IR.

In his earlier interview with the same magazine, they asked "Why IR ? Why not other MDs ?", he answered like "there is a difference between the mayakka nilai you get from dhyaanam, and what you get from using drugs"

NagaS

app_engine
27th April 2005, 08:04 PM
And on another occasion he talked about not needing `puyal' as music for his films but `thendRal' and so choosing IR...

MumbaiRamki
27th April 2005, 08:09 PM
Nagas<
i DON'T SEE THIS IN kUMUDAM (WWW.KUMUDAM.COM)

Where did you find this interview ?

vem
28th April 2005, 04:13 AM
ShankarLAL:
I watched this movie in Jaya TV just for Illayaraaja's songs; It is a Kamal-Sri Devi Movie of the 80s and I was not at all disappointed by Raaja.
The film has 4 melodious songs (could be rare)
1. Raaja kaanu - A beautiful SPB song sung with children. It is almost of the same class as Aadungal of Guru.
2. Kasthoori man - A fantastic song with melodious interludes. Reminds of Varuthu varuthu of Thoongathe thambi thoongathe.
3. Ilan kiliye - The best of the album with some English words in the song. As melodious as Nadiganin kadhali from Thaayillamal nanillai or KAviriye from Adutha Varisu.....
4. Thedinen - A fantastic song from Malaysia - just like Kodai kaala kaatre from Panner pushpangal.

I just wonder why these songs didnt become super hits - but as usual, IR's other songs should have been the reason :)

Dont miss SHANKARLAL - Even though the movie is a crap, songs are extremely melodious and typical of Kamal-IR's class.

vijayr
28th April 2005, 07:59 AM
vem, werent most songs of Shankar Lal by GA? I think IR scored for 1 or 2 songs.

NagaS
28th April 2005, 11:15 AM
Nagas<
i DON'T SEE THIS IN kUMUDAM (WWW.KUMUDAM.COM)

Where did you find this interview ?

I saw it in printed version !

NagaS

thumburu
28th April 2005, 03:29 PM
Shankarlal was jointly composed by IR and GA. vem, you have missed the most important, freaky song "paadhi kaLin mayakkam". Only SJ could have carried those expressions and I must admit Kamal also did a fair job. I presume it has shades of Bhagesri

multinamatheyan
29th April 2005, 01:04 AM
Ilankiliye innum vilankaliye from ShankarLal was a super duper hit - at least in Sri Lanka. Radio Ceylon used to play that song several times a day.

I have it in one of my IR collections CDs - so I am assuming it is by IR and not GA.

Not sure of the other songs

vem
29th April 2005, 03:51 AM
Thumburu
U r right - When they put the names, they had both IR and GA names as MDs......

I guess GA couldnt shine because of his own Godly bro..... GA has given some decent hits of IR range in Vaazhve mayam. Another song that may deceive anybody is Vaaname mazhai megame from madhumalar - superb duet song.

GA looks like he is atleast as talented as Kavingnar vazhangiya devarin Sankar-Ganesh...... But be warned with SG's melodies as they easily get inspired by other's tunes (another way to tell eeyadichan copy).....

natha1729
29th April 2005, 09:16 AM
Ilankiliye a top 10 classic all-time composition of any genre is by IR, other songs by GA in Sankarlal. (Yes, there was no day in Radio Srilanka without this song in the late 70s, I think) :)

BUT , Ilankiliye bears a dramatic resemblance to HUM BANEY TUM BANE EK DUJEY KE LIYE by LP in Kamal' debut Hindi film. (1981) :o

So, was IR inspired by LP or vice versa????? Which came earlier is my question? Both Kamal movies (one a huge flop, another a super duper hit!)

BTW, Thedinen (sung by MV) by GA is totally inspired from a Kraftwerk tune "Neon Lights"!!!!!

But, Kasturi Maan (GA) is a superb superb composition, IR has a similar one in a movie called SOOLAM, Naan Devadhai ( breathtaking number) :D

thumburu
29th April 2005, 11:17 AM
natha. have no doubt, "iLankiLiye" came before atleast a couple of years before EkDujekeLiye. But I will not accept that the Hindi song was inspired from the Tamil as both the songs have tunes which can be found in many cinema songs before and after.The scale used in these songs may be similar. What makes "iLankiLiye" special for us is the superb orchestration . Just listen to the accordian (spelling??) piece in the 2nd or 3rd interlude.

vel
29th April 2005, 05:44 PM
Mumbai express ringtones

kurangu kaiyil malai - (tempo 160) - 8#g2 8.#a2 16.c3 8.#a2 8#g2 8.#a2 8#d3 8- 8#g2 8.#a2 16.c3 8.#a2 8#g2 8.#a2 8f2 8- 8#g2 8.#a2 16.c3 8.#a2 8#g2 8.#a2 8#d3 8- 8#g2 8.#a2 8c3 4.#a2 4- 16f2 8- 8g2 8.#g2 8f2 16f2 8- 8g2 8.#g2 8f2 8- 16.f2 32- 8.g2 8#g2 8.g2 8f2 8.#d2 8c2

Yelae Nee Ettipo - (tempo 160) - 4c3 4c3 8.g2 16a2 8- 16a2 8- 8.a2 8.g2 4c3 4c3 8.g2 16a2 8- 16a2 8- 8.a2 8.g2 8c3 8- 4c3 8.g2 16a2 8- 16.a2 16- 8.a2 8.#d3 4#d3 4d3 8.c3 8c3 16- 8c3 16- 8c3

Poo poothadhu - (tempo 125) - 2a2 8.g2 8a2 2#a2 8.a2 8g2 2a2 8.f2 8g2 2.a2 2a2 8.g2 8a2 2#a2 8.a2 8g2 2a2 8.f2 8g2 2a2 4- 4d3 8c3 8.d3 8c3 8.c3 8.c3 8.a2 4- 8d3 8.d3 8c3 8.d3 8c3 8.c3 8.c3 8.a2 4- 4d3 8c3 8.d3 4c3 4a2 8.g2 8.g2 8g2 8.a2 8.f2 8f2 2g2

natha1729
29th April 2005, 09:22 PM
thumburu: ilankiliye itself has a magical start, cannot describe this is words, IR in his most inspired moments, i also mentioned some time ago that there are a few more songs of IR that are i call wholesome magical - Manathil Yenna Ninaivugalo (Poonthalir); Pollaatha Aasai Vandhu (Kuva Kuva Vaathukkal); Nilavu Neram (Annai Oru Aalayam); Kaviriye KaviKuyiley (Adutha Vaarisu); Orchestration in these songs, not possible even by extraordinary geniuses!!!

app_engine
29th April 2005, 10:17 PM
Are we in IR's OLD albums?:-) NOM!

jaiganes
30th April 2005, 10:50 PM
I saw "Ponmegalai" posters all over chennai. has anybody seen it? The posters have IR blow up.

prabhudas
2nd May 2005, 02:49 AM
Hi Teja,
A Telugu song query,

I was listening to a Telugu IR song 2 days ago from my Telugu IR songs collection which starts as " Manase Mayakkam" by SJ I think, which I am listening almost after a decade or so, which movie is that from? Is that from "Merupudaadi"?.

Also do you know of a CD version of " Darjadonga" songs
(suman movie), (I have the old echo cassette with Anveshana combo, the recording is pretty good much better than "Anveshana"), this entire week I have been listening to my IR Telugu collections during my commute, man what a gloriuos period that was ...from "Abhilasha" to "JVAS", every Chiranjeevi movie with such superb songs, even some unnoticed songs from "Kirathukudu" etc are also so great... we sure miss IR in Telugu .. we badly need a big time masala entertrainer from "Chiranjeevi -IR combo" with some good director ( well we can only wish...)

Prabhudas

tmrrmt
2nd May 2005, 10:07 AM
Hi guys - there are a couple of Telugu songs by IR, which are brilliant, but not as popular as they ought to have:

(i) Mogali Poovey - from KEECHU RALLU - stunning opening and a bass line forming a base for the entire score, drum rolls, a lilting violin piece that takes up the first interlude and flamboyant youthful rendering of a typical IRish melody, by SPB and Chitra

(ii) Mila Mila - from NIRNAYAM - take off the annoying 'love you' chorus interjections, and you have a classic - once again a terrific bass score and hip interludes

(iii) Ipudepu - from NIRNAYAM - adapted from IR's own 'valai osai' from Sathya - the song has a very very different sounding second interlude

teja
2nd May 2005, 11:23 AM
Prabhudas,

'Manase Maikam' is from Challenge. (chiranjeevi, suhasini, vijayashanti)
That's an amazing album!
'Induvadana' 'Om Shanti', 'Sayankaalam saagarateeram' all these are youthful, peppy & energetic compositions.

I don't think Darjadonga CD was ever released. Echo sold their content to 'Aditya Music'. It would be a herculean task to get them release all those albums on CDs!

Most of the IR-Chiranjeevi combo songs are evergreen...
Kirathakudu has an amazing song - 'Nee pere pranayama'. That film was a dud at Boxoffice, and the song melted into oblivion.
Even the last one from their combo, 'Stuartpuram policestation', has some cool songs.

nkv
3rd May 2005, 08:31 AM
Some more IR telugu songs to be heard..

1. Vennalai Padenna - Sri Kanakamahalaxmi Recording Dance TRoupe (Vamsi)
2. Karigipoyanu - Maranamridangam (Kodandaramareddy, Chiranjeevi)
3. Priyatama - Priyatama (One of the IR Best)
4. Rasaleela Vela - Aditya 369 (Singeetham Sreenivasa Rao)
5. Sumam Prathi - Maharshi (Vamsy)

Those who have not heard these songs, rush to get them. I guarantee that each one of them will be a listening experience..

crvenky
3rd May 2005, 03:36 PM
Pon Megalai - another flop? :((

http://www.chennaionline.com/film/Moviereviews/2005/05ponmeghalai.asp

kbee
3rd May 2005, 10:50 PM
crvenky

i dont know how to take these reviews. the review says its flop, but if you look at viewer responses, 52.94% said they will see it again (8% more than thiruppachi)

In general now a days, if the movie is not watchable and horrible and have few dappanguthu songs, the review is good. If the movie is good and decent family movie the review is bad.

Something wrong with ppl who review the movies.

kbee
3rd May 2005, 10:53 PM
See Mayavi again. I saw the movie and can recommend the movie to anyone. A decent movie, with out much Twist or twis to resolve twist. No knife, gun, blood, violence - decent movie, but the reviewer again says its a disappointment but 65% of the viewers said they can see it again.

This prooves again that reviewers now a days should be reviwed first.

Go with Vikatan review. thats the best, because unlike other reviews where only 1 person willingly press verious buttons of the keyboard, vikatan has a group of ppl (varyign age, male-female, taste, bias etc) who collectively sit down and analyse the movie before touching the keyboard.

teja
4th May 2005, 12:56 AM
DIG:
In response to some of your PM's, I've added Siva (telugu) bgm to the collection at http://www.themelody.net/

While you are at it, check out 'Abhinandana' theme tracks.
The theme (which has shades of Maestro's tamil bit song 'Pazaya sogangal') is simply out of the world!
There are 3 different themes [between Sobhana-Karthik, Sobhana-Sarathbabu, Rajyalakshmi-Sarathbabu].
IR mixes and matches these 3 themes with variations in tempo, playing them on a variety of instruments (guitar, violin, flute, piano...).
Result is ... pure bliss!!

No wonder the movie was such a huge hit.
END DIG

rajasaranam
4th May 2005, 02:52 AM
cinefan edit your post too :D

Cinefan
4th May 2005, 10:56 AM
edited. :D

vem
5th May 2005, 05:39 AM
watched Mumbaixpress hindi version today.

a very low budget movie with silly kadis. may be Crazy Mohan might have been more effective. There was no scope for background music - so no BGM for most of the movie.

prabhudas
5th May 2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks, Teja

Prabhudas

mythila
5th May 2005, 06:00 PM
This week's Rasikapriya programme in Podhigai channel covered
the milestones in the musical life of the famous nadhaswara vidhwan Namagiripettai Krishnan. There was an interesting tidbit. It said Namagiripettai Krishnan passed away in 1993 and his last concert was for Illaiyaraja. While I was eagerly expecting an audio clipping of that concert, all they showed was a photo clipping of Namagiripettai with Illaiyaraja and few other vidhwans on the dias. Now I have a question. Any idea who played
nadhaswaram in "pudhupatti ponnuthaayi"?

kr
6th May 2005, 12:00 AM
I thought it was Jaishankar

Neel D
7th May 2005, 08:41 AM
IR special on Kannada Online Radio. Airing non-stop IR songs in KFM mixed with his instrumental tracks and rare background scores.

http://www.kannadaaudio.net

vel
7th May 2005, 04:54 PM
Dear All,

Remember the live program by IR in italy. Its been released yesterday (6th May 2005) by i dichi di angelica [see www.aaa-angelica.com for details]

Distribution in the world by ReR MEGACORP www.rermegacorp.com

Distribution for Malaysia, Singapore and India by Agi Music www.agimusic.com

prabhudas
7th May 2005, 06:37 PM
Guys, try link given by Neels or
search for kannada in Shoutcast.com and look for 96 bit stream for best quality streaming of the Kannada IR songs nonstop 24 hours, started last night brought by www.kannadaaudio.com, don't miss lots of great songs with good quality recording
Sri Rajanna, thanks, got your Yahoo IM,
Prabhudas

thops
7th May 2005, 09:12 PM
vel...thanks for this wonderful news...what a coincidence...i was just thinking about writing to massimo yesterday night :-))...

thops
7th May 2005, 09:14 PM
http://www.aaa-angelica.com/dischi/musicjourney.html

Track list...

1 Aya Kalaigal 2.18
2 Pavanaguru 5.44
3 Sunu Oh! 3.33
4 Mayil Pola 4.28
5 Janani 8.08
6 Music Journey (Lullaby And Games Of Tamilnadu)
7 En Ullil 5.21
8 Ilankathu 6.52
9 Three in One (Introduction) 3.36
10 Three in One 3.29
11 Asaiya Kathula 4.40
12 Veetukku 9.24
13 Orchestra (Mood Kapi) 7.51
14 Mathacha 0.51

krish244
9th May 2005, 04:09 PM
vel & thops...thanks for the info. this is good news. Curious to know how it has come out. Has anyone heard it? Also, how about "MOODS OF ILAIYARAAJA"? Has anyone heard it? Are these available in India (Bangalore)?

thanks,

Krishnan

vel
9th May 2005, 05:43 PM
thops & krish

I now have a very strong doubt that some tracks herein are indeed from "Moods of ilaiyaraaja"

deepakkt
11th May 2005, 03:01 AM
Anyone know what this is about? Title says "Wings"

http://www.rermegacorp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RM&Product_Code=IDA+019&Category_Code=

irfansong
11th May 2005, 10:36 AM
Hi,

It is nothing but a collection of IRs songs. Few of his masterpieces are consolidated and being sold as Wings.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/new404.asp?404;http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6789555/a/review.asp

Thnx
IRfan

krish244
12th May 2005, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Was just listening to "MAAR GAYO RE" song sung by Gayathri Iyer from the movie Sandhya (music by Anand Raj Anand). The opening flute (???) bit has major traces from the flute bit of a number in KAADHAL KAVIDHAI. Forgot the song, but one of the singer is ILA ARUN.

thanks

Krishnan

NagaS
12th May 2005, 11:44 AM
Anybody saw the latest 7Up Ad ? They have used a nice remix version of IR's "pudhu route-lathaan" song from movie "Meeraa" ...

NagaS

yvsmani
12th May 2005, 01:26 PM
krish244 :
the song is thaththom thagathimithom thagathimi thagathimi thom with SL

NagaS
12th May 2005, 01:33 PM
Award for IR - MSV ... any more information on this ?

http://tamil.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/12052005-1.shtml

NagaS

krish244
12th May 2005, 06:21 PM
Yes yvsmani...thats the song. 85-90% of the flute tune of the hindi song is the same as the flute beginning of this tamil song. The flute tune reappears in the second interlude of the hindi song.

There is one more such incident. Has anyone listened to the famous guitar (??) portion of "IK PAL KA JEENA" from the movie KAHO NA PYAAR HAI? It is very close (in tamil its played a bit slow) to the beginning of the second interlude of a song sung by Jesudas in PAATTU VAATHIYAAR movie. I think the song is "SOLAI MALARE".

thanks

Krishnan

cry_sandiego
12th May 2005, 07:44 PM
Nagas,

See

http://www.worldfest.org/mainframe.htm

Looks like a Houston Film fest award..

MSK

deepakkt
13th May 2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks irfansong...
இப்படி Assorted collection introduce பண்ணா நிறுத்தவே முடியாது!!!
That is what I do for my car...

njv
13th May 2005, 08:40 AM
i heard adhu oru kanaa kaalam is coming this week. any idea?

irfansong
13th May 2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys,

Did you noticed Vishwa Thulasi in the nominees? It is being screened in Texas. There is an Excel sheet and u can see it there.

http://www.worldfest.org/downloads/WFHnominees2005.xls

Thank you for the WFH link...

Nitya
13th May 2005, 09:51 AM
krish244 and yvsmani, I have a bit of news for you on 'Thaththom Thakathimi Thom.' The beginning of the song was copied by T Rajendar for the song 'Monalisa Monalisa' (film: Monisha En Monalisa).

NagaS
13th May 2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.vikatan.com/av/2005/may/22052005/p150.jpg

thumburu
13th May 2005, 05:32 PM
Nagas, what? when? where? How? Why?
ippidi mottaiya padam potta yeppidi?

arunprakashhh
13th May 2005, 07:04 PM
i think the photo has been taken during the tamil thirai channel inauguration.

thops
13th May 2005, 07:41 PM
For the HCIRFs who cannot wait for the CDs to be available in India...

http://www.cd4sale.it/customer/product.php?productid=24402&cat=0&page=

thops
13th May 2005, 07:41 PM
Above post should read

"For the HCIRFs who cannot wait for the CDs to be available in US...I don't know about India..."

NagaS
13th May 2005, 08:04 PM
sorry I missed the intro line I had before my earlier post :)

Its a photo taken during launch of tamil thirai channel, From interview of bharathiraja in vikatan this week - the related question was "IR & VM were sitting very nearby. Still, both didn't even see each other, why ?", or something in these lines.

BR replied "reNdu paerum intha maNNoda soththu, naan reNdu paerkittayum natpaathaan pazhagittirukkaen"

NagaS

njv
15th May 2005, 12:51 AM
Adhu Oru Kana Kaalam audio released. Songs are good (not exceptional). 3 songs (Katti vizhi, Kili Thattu, Antha naal gnyabagam) are very good. Others 2 songs are average.

Nitya
15th May 2005, 02:09 AM
Finally. It seems like we have anticipated AOKK's release for... almost two and a half years.

Nitya
15th May 2005, 03:17 AM
Good news! Athu Oru Kanaa Kaalam songs are available at http://www.tamiltune.com/MJ/default.php. The songs are reminiscent of the songs of the 'Sathi Leelaavathi' and 'Ilaiyaraagam' period. Despite sounding poppish, I like three of the songs (Kaattu Vazhi {check out the very Celtic sounding interlude}, Andha Naal Nyaabagam, and Unnaale).

I agree with njv in that they aren't exceptional. One complaint I have is, why won't Raja give any more *Indian classical* tunes? And if I have anything to say about it, this is where Ilayaraja should take lessons from Ravindran, even if the latter is deceased. I can't think of a truly God-inspired, soul-stirring tune composed by Ilayaraja post 2000, I'm sorry to say.

krish244
15th May 2005, 02:27 PM
Just listened to the songs. Agree with Nitya & njv. My comments on the songs (correct me if I am wrong about the instruments used):

1) Andha Naal Gyabagam: A melodious tune in a poppish style. Sung well by Vijay Jesudas & Shreya. One or two different sounds (different synth drum beats & at the end of second stanza one can hear whistle sound :-) ) used by IR with his recent style of orchestration. Interludes are short. These days I observe that IR keeps the interludes short for many of his melodious songs (especially the second interlude). I really miss IR's style of giving grand interludes filled with mesmerising strings, flutes, piano, bass portions, etc, which used to transport us to a totally different plane. He can still give those kind of interludes in his own new format. Neverthless, this is a very good song.

Unnaale: I am not a fan of Malathis deep throated voice, but she has adakki vaasichified a little bit and given this song the necessary feel. Ranjith aswell has given enough feeling to the song. Decent rhythm with drum & synthesized sounds (with little of natrual instruments I guess) make this song an above average song.

Ennada: An ok song. Nice guitar into. Later the orchestration is dominated by melam (??), drum, guitar & some synthesis sounds. This song may get popular in college cicles and the charts.

Kaattu Vazhi: Sung pretty well by IR. Song has a different feel to it. As Nitya says, the interlude sounds celtic, very nice & catchy aswell. Has IR ever given this kind of interludes? I have not heard atleast. A good song.

Kili Thattu: Song starts with kids singing and later taken over by Bhavatharini & Jyothi. For a moment, it sounded like a portion of some song in the movie RAMANA, but later sounds pretty different. Probably because of the kids voices and singing. The stanzas sounds more melodious. The flute in the second stanza is good (not great).

On the whole, I liked ANDHA NAAL, KAATTU VAZHI & UNNAALE. I really wish he gives us more of those mesmerising interludes with strings, those bass portions, flute, etc and uses more of natural instruments.

thanks

Krishnan

12bums
15th May 2005, 04:14 PM
As far as Nitya's sweeping statement saying IR has not given a soul stirring melody since 2000, I beg to differ. Infact nowadays it has become a fashionable statement to make. Here is why:

Oliyile - Azhagi
Elangathu - Pithamagan
Etho onnu, kaatule - Solla marantha kathai
All songs - Bharathi
Naadu paarthathunda (anyone?) - Kamaraj
Aalapanai - Ponmegalai
All songs - Hey Ram
Unnai Vida - Virumandi
Poo Poothathu - ME

And this does not even include movies like Kannukkul Nilavu, Ivan etc!! In fact, you name a IR movie and I will name a soul stirring melody.

If you notice the reviews of AOKK so far, the comments are like, 'ok', 'adaki vaasichirukkaanga', 'its an ok effort','different interludes' etc. In fact, is it not always the case with a BM movie? Unlike an MR movie, where most of the songs tend to blow u away at the very 1st listening, BM movies usually have a kind of understated quality about them, that really hook you when you hear them in context, along with the movie. Remember marupadiyum?

krish244
15th May 2005, 04:20 PM
Was just listening to the BGM (of Mumbai Express) when the kid tries to convince Manisha about Kamal "Vera yaarukku pidichirukku..."...just a variation of POO POOTHADHU song, but its just great. At the end (when it dawns the next morning), listen how the tune transforms into a different tune only to become even better.

thanks

Krishnan

vijayr
15th May 2005, 09:51 PM
On a quick hearing IR's song stands out. Although I wished he had added different stanzas for the pallavi's tune/interlude keep repeating, its differntly sung with a measured nonchalance, care-free feel and the inlerlude piece is instantly catchy. Wish he had done the same with the other songs. Because of commercial constraints some of those melodies no longer have natural instruments in them and the synth interludes are pretty average.

Nitya
15th May 2005, 10:24 PM
Okay 12bums, if you think so. Freshness is something that one cannot give a prescribed definition for, but one can only sense upon hearing.

Vijayr, I agree with what you say. It's too bad for the commercial constraints. I'm not a MD, so I don't know whether the MD has the power to defy the commercial standards set down by the industry.

popeye11
15th May 2005, 11:07 PM
Athu oru kana kaalam - long waited IRs album.. wonderful songs
Andha Naal - takes u away in the first listening this is what is soul stirring music ... wonderful interludes and flute pieces

Kaatu vazhi - awesome interludes

Kili thatu - typical raja song certainly catchy

Unnale - another good number

Ennada achu - ok number

On the whole - decent album from the maestro waiting for the BGMs

Sanjeevi
16th May 2005, 01:49 AM
Athu oru kana kalam has been released?

vijayr
16th May 2005, 06:17 AM
The short interlude string piece in "Kaattu vazhi" took me back to the other wonderful flute/guitar piece just before "elmarak kaatukulla" from Nadodi thendral begins. That piece ends with a (deserved) applause. IR throws surprises now and then in his voice. "Yeh konji pesu" from Kaadhal Kavidhai wasted as the title song by Agathiyan was once such song that deserved more attention.

vijayr
16th May 2005, 06:20 AM
Someone should convince IR to develop Kaatu Vazhi's interlude into a full-blown piece and also add different charanams to the song. I am hooked onto the piece.

vijayr
16th May 2005, 06:20 AM
Sanjeevi see here
http://raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000680.html

venkiks
16th May 2005, 07:47 AM
Ennada Nenache is a sure hit. I love the song

MumbaiRamki
16th May 2005, 11:27 AM
Popye11,vijayr
totally agree with ur postings ..Kaatu Vazhi is just amazing ,soulful.....Iam hooked to it ..shld be a title song ...

I liked thsi album very much ...

njv
16th May 2005, 06:48 PM
I hope kattu vazhi is not a title song, because it has too much meaning and IR sung it beautifully (the tone is clearly distinct). I hope it comes inthe middle where the movie gives our heart a big burden. I am picturizing this song pretty similar to "Ilan kaathu veesudhu". Lets hope BM used this song effectively.

BTW I havent seen a single BM movie with title song so far. May be I am wrong.

venkiks
16th May 2005, 07:22 PM
Yes, Kaatu Vazhi is soulful. IR has his own trend always.
Antha Naal Naabakam song has traces of 'Elan Kaathu Veesuthe' from Pithamagan.

cry_sandiego
16th May 2005, 07:58 PM
Antha Naal Nyabagam is Cool.. I like it very much.. Kili thattu also seems good. yet to listen to the others..

Hope the movie makes good use of the songs.. but not very hopeful considering BM's last few flicks..

Cheers
MSK

app_engine
16th May 2005, 09:18 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=183988&disdate=5/15/2005

Kamban-Vali connection...

Dragun
17th May 2005, 01:38 AM
Kaatu Vazhi is quite beautiful. I don't really think the other songs are as good though.

NormalMan
17th May 2005, 01:42 AM
Andha Naal Nyabagam - soulful and "instantly attractive" song. Give you the butterfly effect when you think about your sweet old memories. Sure chart buster.

Kaatu Vazhi - amazing instrumentals. I think this was done as an instrumental and turned into a song. Watch out for that Irish folk type strings.

Kilithattu - Good melody again.

The rest 2 regular stuff and not bad at all.

I'm currently totally hooked onto Andha Naal Nyabagam and taking leave from "Piya Bole" from Parineeta. THE best melody I have heard so far this year. Amazing song.

rags141
17th May 2005, 02:14 AM
all songs are good.....defy a very good album compared to some of the latest releases.....this increases my eagerness on the Fazilz movie....IR must have come with some mindblowing compositions for that.

Rags

Dragun
17th May 2005, 02:43 AM
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (Malayalam)

http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/M0000926.html

Manathe Thamara has sort of an Elangaathu feel to it.

Srini_M
17th May 2005, 05:27 AM
Kili Thattu sounds like Chinna Chinna Vannak Kuyil frm Mouna Ragam?

I wish IR family stops using Bhavatharini - any thoughts?

dinkoarun
17th May 2005, 06:05 AM
download athu oru kanaakalam songs http://www.tamilmaalai.com/mp3z/athu.htm

they sound great in better quality.

Cinefan
17th May 2005, 10:59 AM
This weeks Kunkumam has an interview with Fazil,he says the forthcoming Oru Naal.......... has 7 songs,the max no for one of his movies.He says all songs are different&he is very happy with the end result.Asked why he still sticks to IR,he replies "I was a fan of him even before I became a film maker,I love his compositions&RR"

tmrrmt
17th May 2005, 11:46 AM
Listened to 3 songs of athu oru kanaakalam -
"Andha naal" - nothing unique, definite 'elangathhu' deja vu feel to it - the first interlude SUCKS BIG time -

'Kattu vazhi' is the pick of the lot - unusual tune and composition

'ennada' - YUK! an absolute piece of junk -

tmrrmt
17th May 2005, 12:28 PM
'Kattu vazhi' is not fresh after all - it is the same tune as the first movement of the theme music of PANDAVAS earlier done by IR himself - listen to it, you will know!

tmrrmt
17th May 2005, 12:29 PM
the way things are going, IR needs a Kamal to come up with something as amazing as MX

NagaS
17th May 2005, 02:11 PM
on a song IR has composed for cheran's next movie "pokkisham" :

http://www.dinakaran.com/weekly/tamil/arangam/2005/May/17/chips.html

12bums
17th May 2005, 07:57 PM
NagaS, is'nt Cheran's next movie, Thavam Thavamirundhu?

NormalMan
18th May 2005, 12:48 AM
Guys go here, listen to the song "Aararo Paattu paada" and watch out for the first interlude (I recommend increasing your speaker volume).

http://www.tamiltune.com/MJ/Songs.php?Id=469&TypeId=10

This is what I call a musical ecstasy. I totally miss this IR and why the heck is he not giving us such interlude patterns. Is it KR who is screwing up with his synth mixing?

Nitya
18th May 2005, 07:54 AM
NormalMan, I don't mean to sound like a smart-aleck or anything when I say this, but I think you should consult Ilayaraja about what you just said, about KR messing up IR's songs with his synth mixing. ;-)

Pras
18th May 2005, 02:55 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/7256.html

NormalMan
19th May 2005, 12:41 AM
Nitya --> Trust me I would ask IR if I get a chance !! I don't think it will ever happen :-)

njv
19th May 2005, 01:56 AM
NormalMan, If you are in teh US, I will let you know when IR is vising NJ next time, you can meet him. I met him once and I had thousands of questions in my mind and all I could do was stare at him and nothing else.

vijayr
19th May 2005, 03:48 AM
Andha naaL is more along the lines of OLiyile therivadhu than ILangaatru veesudhe. But the theme version of OLiyile with strings/flute was too good -andha naaL is missing all that.
Kaattu vazhi is still my pick.

gopiharan
19th May 2005, 04:48 PM
'andha naal' seems to be a modified slow version of the surya-vj melody(duet) number from friends :?:
the 'oliyile' effect is due to those 'bell' sounds to match the lyrics.....

'killi thattu' is again a remix of IR's old number not sure....probably 'chittan chittan kurivi' from pudu nellu puthu naathu :!: :!:

'kattu vazhi' IR's voice is some thing to b noticed and the song is enriched bcos of his voice sounding like a old man's voice....good work by IR...

on the whole album is avg....its high time IR learns from ARR in giving variety in his music....unlike recycling his old songs :oops: :oops: this is the best time for him to utilise the time as he is not having too many films under his belt...

i wonder how BM chose these tunes inspite of having a great musical career with him like 'Moonram Pirai', 'Neengal Kettavai', 'Rettai Vaal Kuruvi', etc....

probably IR can stop with BGMs instead of goin for songs which cud atleast save his name in the field...i really feel hard write to these words being a die hard fan of IR :x :x

vel
19th May 2005, 05:21 PM
"....its high time IR learns from ARR...."

:lol: kali muththidichi.

rajasaranam
19th May 2005, 05:32 PM
"....its high time IR learns from ARR...."

:lol: kali muththidichi.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

NagaS
19th May 2005, 05:35 PM
ARR giving variety in his music....unlike recycling his old songs

:ROTFL:

NagaS

Cinefan
19th May 2005, 05:56 PM
Athu oru..........-very average album from IR.Ennada Ninaicha is anything but impressive,unnale thokkam(picturised on Dhanush&tejashri) is an ordinary raunchy number. killi thattu is catchy but sounds very much like an old IR song.Antha naal nyabagam has good singing from Vijay yesudas&Shreya ghosal.Good song,typical IR.kattu vazhi is the pick of the lot,I am hooked on it.Minimal instruments&very good singing from IR.How I wish he had worked more on the first three songs mentioned above.

gopiharan
19th May 2005, 06:13 PM
ungalellam paartha enakku pavama irukku?? hmm.... :D :D :D

whether u agree or not, ARR is the No:1 MD in Indian(including Tamil) cine industry today.... but at the same time i never said IR is waste,
he is a born genius that every one knows....but what it requires from him is to produce more variety in the songs like how ARR does in each of his films( no wonder where he copies from?? :P :P ) ....in that way IR can be 'Raja' to 'Ilasus' for another decade....

in this context MX is a far far better than AOK......especially the 'Poo Poothathu' song while experimenting in Jazz style....no one in India had ever thought of soft Jazz melody number in the recent past.......this is what IR needs to do from now....

athu enna ROTFL???
'il thaka seiya' mathiri ethavathu ketta varthaya??? :twisted: :twisted:

Cinefan
19th May 2005, 06:20 PM
ungalellam paartha enakku pavama irukku?? hmm.... :D :D :D

whether u agree or not, ARR is the No:1 MD in Indian(including Tamil) cine industry today.... but at the same time i never said IR is waste,
he is a born genius that every one knows....but what it requires from him is to produce more variety in the songs like how ARR does in each of his films( no wonder where he copies from?? :P :P ) ....in that way IR can be 'Raja' to 'Ilasus' for another decade....

in this context MX is a far far better than AOK......especially the 'Poo Poothathu' song while experimenting in Jazz style....no one in India had ever thought of soft Jazz melody number in the recent past.......this is what IR needs to do from now....

athu enna ROTFL???
'il thaka seiya' mathiri ethavathu ketta varthaya??? :twisted: :twisted:

ROFTL:Rolling on the floor laughing.

Gopi:Good you clarified but it's impossible not to laugh when reading your "IR should produce more variety like ARR&not recycle his songs".You should know better as to who recycles songs more.

I also believe MX is a much superior album compared to AOKK.

Shankar
19th May 2005, 06:22 PM
gopiharan,
You don't have to be in the garb of an IR fan to critisize him :-)....We have seen quite a few of your kinds...
ROTFL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing..

"il thaka sayya" ketta varthaya ?!?!?! Like vel said, nijamavE kali muthi pOchu :-)

NagaS
19th May 2005, 07:14 PM
gopiharan,

my comment (ROTFL) was not abt your review of AOKK ... Im yet to listen to this album ('coz im in client place and couldn't locate the CD in the stores here),

I wrote it because, its funny when you say ARR does less recycling when compared to IR ... NOM :)

NagaS

vijayr
19th May 2005, 07:35 PM
Its true that ARR does less recycling than IR. But ARR also does less in the first place :-)

gopiharan
19th May 2005, 09:25 PM
ada pavigala.....ungala mathiri 'Raja' ethu senjalum 'Saranam' podara alunga irukura varaikkum IRkku kavalaiye kidayathu......

eppavume ithe mathiri(Original music :P from his own cupboard instead of stealing from others) thaan kidaikum....

yappa samigala..... thevaiillama ARRayo IRayo kevala paduthura foruma itha aaka venam pa....

If u take the statistics of IRs songs post 1997 till date, the no. of recycles done by him is more compared to any MD even more than Deva(bcos he always relies on others :D ). Ofcourse the reason cud b, it is difficult for a person's brain to invent something new after being in the field for 30 years....

at the same time even today in FM Radios and other TV progms broadcasting 'Ninaithale Inikum' program, it is IR songs which feature most and we never get tired even when we hear every day just like taking milk every morning!!!

As how 'Moon' has a rising & wanning phase (Amavasai - Pournami), like every other MD, IR has reached his wanning phase and ARR is rising film by film. This is the fact of life and we shud try to accept this instead of bashing other MDs in this forum....

so if u wish IR to start another refreshing rising career ahead, he needs to reinvent something new and come up with more variety again entirely different from what he has done earlier....only then he can become globaly visible.....TIS is one of a good initiative...

namma aalu nalla nilamaikku varanumnu enakku mattum asai kidayatha enna...athukkaga mathavangala thootrina nammalu perusagiduvangala enna?? :wink:

dude
19th May 2005, 10:55 PM
The "Kattu vazhi" song is absolutely amazing. And I am extremely impressed with IR's singing.

Once again this brings back my long time desire of IR singing for ARR. How great would that be! :-)

vijayr
19th May 2005, 10:58 PM
Gopiharan, I agree with your overall sentiments. Adhu oru Kanaa kaalam much like Julie Ganapthy is just average stuff. Julie Ganapathy itself had almost all songs recycled. As for your wishes that IR should give more variety in TFM, I dont think that will happen unless the world turns upside down and suddenly all the directors are queuing up outside IR's house. He has clearly lost interest in TFM. Your best bet is to wait for non-TFM albums like TIS or for the occasional Guru or Kochu Kochu santhoshangal that he serves up for Mallu audience. In TFM, we would be lucky to hear 5 good songs/year. Thats my bold prediction, but I'll be glad to be proven wrong.

vijayr
19th May 2005, 10:59 PM
Wish Kaatu vazhi's interludes were longer.

rajasaranam
19th May 2005, 11:48 PM
Wish Kaatu vazhi's interludes were longer.

Iam able to see how much you are hooked to 'kaatu vazhi' :D
Iam just awestruck with the way he finishes off the song singing 'la la la la...' mind blowing. the interludes and postlude can become a master piece, if worked upon separately. How i wished this song could have another charnam :cry:
This song reminds of the song from 'Eera vizhi kaaviyangal'? - paazhaya sogangal . where again he had sung with much ease and carelessness [carefulness]

app_engine
20th May 2005, 12:05 AM
Just listened to each song once...glad that IR is back to his `soft-on-ears' songs...may be BM effect. Some sound like the TIME songs (nAn thanga roSA = onnAla thookkam kettu pOchu, for e.g.)...and many such `engEyO kEtta' feelings...Agree with most in this thread that `kAttu vazhi' is the pick...took me back to the days of `enna pAttuppAda, enna thALam pOda':-)