PDA

View Full Version : The SILENT assasin - MURALI the MAGICIAN

Raghu
10th September 2007, 06:16 PM
let's discuss about the GREATEST spinner EVER, who is about to break the world record for taking the MOST number of wickets, surprasing shane warne

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Raghu
11th September 2007, 06:21 PM
Since his debut in 1992, Muralitharan has taken over 700 Test wickets and over 400 One-Day International wickets, becoming the first player to take 1,000 wickets combined in the two main forms of international cricket. Currently his Test average is 21.33, which compares well to any modern era spinner.

Muralitharan's unique bowling action begins with a short run-up, and culminates with an extremely wristy release which had him mistaken for a leg-spinner early in his career by Allan Border.[4] Aside from his off break, he also bowls a fast topspinner which goes straight on. He is also a master of the doosra, the surprise delivery which turns from leg to off (the opposite direction of his stock delivery) with no discernible change of action. In addition to his variations of spin, he is able to make the ball dip in flight abruptly, making him difficult to hit out of the attack

In May 2004, he overtook West Indian Courtney Walsh's record of 519 Test match wickets to become the highest wicket-taker, a record he kept until Shane Warne claimed it in late 2004 after an injury forced Muralitharan to miss a considerable number of matches. However, Warne believes that the younger Muralitharan will eventually be the one to finish with the record, saying he believes that Muralitharan will take "1,000 wickets" before he retires.[5] Former record holder Courtney Walsh has also opined that this is possible if Muralitharan retains his hunger for wickets.[6] Muralitharan himself believes there is a possibility that he will reach this milestone.[7] He is the only bowler to have taken five wicket hauls against every other test playing nation. Former Australian captain Steve Waugh called him "the Don Bradman of bowling".[8]

In 2002, Wisden carried out a statistical analysis of all Test matches in an effort to rate the greatest cricketers in history, and Muralitharan was ranked as the best bowler of all time.[1] However, two years earlier, Muralitharan was not named as one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Century. Recently, Wisden named him the "Leading Cricketer in the World in 2006".[9]

World records and achievements
Muttiah Muralitharan holds a number of world records, and several firsts:

The highest number of international wickets in Tests and ODIs combined (1155 wickets as of 14 July 2007).[41]
The most 10-wicket hauls in a match at Test level (20). He is the only player to take 10 wickets/match against every Test playing nation.[42]
The most 5-wicket hauls in an innings at Test level (60).[43]
Fastest to 350,[44] 400,[45] 450,[46] 500,[47] 550,[48] 600,[49] 650[50] and 700[51] Test wickets, in terms of matches played.
Only player to take 10 wickets in a Test in four consecutive matches. Murali has achieved this feat twice. [52]
Only player to take 50 or more wickets against every Test playing nation.[53]
Muralitharan and Jim Laker (England), are the only bowlers to have taken 9 wickets in a Test innings twice.
7 wickets in an innings against the most countries (5).[54]
Most Test wickets taken bowled (153),[55] stumped (37)[56] and caught & bowled (30).[57] Bowled by Muralitharan (b Muralitharan) is the most common dismissal in Test cricket (excluding run out).[58]
Most successful bowler/fielder (non-wicket keeper) combination - c Mahela Jayawardene b Muttiah Muralitharan (62). [59]

[edit] Test wicket milestones
1st: Craig McDermott lbw 9 vs Australia - Match #1 - Test #1195
50th: Navjot Sidhu caught Ruwan Kalpage 43 vs India - Match #13 - Test #1247
100th: Stephen Fleming bowled 59 vs New Zealand - Match #27 - 1359
150th: Guy Whittall caught sub (Mahela Jayawardene) 17 vs Zimbabwe - Match #36 - Test #1395
200th: Ben Hollioake lbw 0 vs England - Match #42 - Test #1423
250th: Naved Ashraf lbw 27 vs Pakistan - Match #51 - Test #1489
300th: Shaun Pollock caught Tillakaratne Dilshan 11 vs South Africa - Match #58 - Test #1526
350th: Mohammad Sharif caught and bowled 19 vs Bangladesh - Match #66 - Test #1561
400th: Henry Olonga bowled 0 vs Zimbabwe - Match #72 - Test #1585
450th: Daryl Tuffey caught Sanath Jayasuriya 1 vs New Zealand - Match #80 - Test #1644
500th: Michael Kasprowicz bowled 0 vs Australia - Match #87 - Test #1688
550th: Khaled Mashud caught Thilan Samaraweera 2 vs Bangladesh - Match #94 - Test #1764
600th: Khaled Mashud caught Lasith Malinga 6 vs Bangladesh - Match #101 - Test #1786
650th: Makhaya Ntini caught Farveez Maharoof 13 vs South Africa - Match #108 - Test #1812
700th: Syed Rasel caught Farveez Maharoof 4 vs Bangladesh - Match #113 - Test #1839

Vivek4life
11th September 2007, 09:16 PM
Magician :notworthy:

aanaa
13th September 2007, 12:29 AM
wow

amazing info
thanks

Raghu
7th January 2008, 09:57 PM
I have forgot to post here, about the WORLD GREATEST BOWLER in CRICKETING's HISTORY has took the MOSt number of Wickets!!!!

:2thumbsup: :exactly: :yes: :boo: :redjump: :bluejump: :thumbsup:

Raghu
7th January 2008, 10:02 PM
it is shame none of the fellow indians here posted any tribute to this spin wizard
:cry2:

aanaa
8th January 2008, 02:32 AM
Sportiveness ..

mgb
8th January 2008, 11:05 AM
it is shame none of the fellow indians here posted any tribute to this spin wizard
:cry2:shame on whom.. raghu please dont have a dig at us and provoke :x

raaja_rasigan
8th January 2008, 12:30 PM
once i read that, Murali has taken nearly 150 - 170 wickets against bangladesh & zimbabwe combinedly...... but shane warne took some 25 - 30 wickets
-----------------------------
recently kumble took his 250th wicket in foregin soil & again i guess he is above muralitharan in that list

Anyway...... GREAT Murali

Billgates
8th January 2008, 01:32 PM
Murali is a genius . One of the very best .

If he had been an Australian or a Britisher or a South African, he would have been Knighted by now.
But poor Asian no he is !

Thats why he was targetted by Australians , especially their Umpires.

But he had ranatunga to support him. I havent seen any Captain Courageous like Ranatunga.

Raghu
8th January 2008, 03:09 PM
Murali is a genius . One of the very best .

If he had been an Australian or a Britisher or a South African, he would have been Knighted by now.
But poor Asian no he is !

Thats why he was targetted by Australians , especially their Umpires.

But he had ranatunga to support him. I havent seen any Captain Courageous like Ranatunga.

Exactly, well said :thumbsup:

MADDY
9th January 2008, 09:26 PM

:yes:

Ranatunga, Ganguly, steve Waugh, S.Flemming, Imran are men of steel 8-)

m_23_bayarea
10th January 2008, 12:05 AM
And Murali and the SL team in general dont have any marketing or advertising to project them as much as our own team! It's 100% hard work and effort, without any distraction... 8-) 8-) 8-)

I feel the SL team is very under-rated due to the fact that they dont have much finances or a Big Board to support them! :cry:

Sanguine Sridhar
10th January 2008, 12:11 PM

To some extent we can add Nasser Hussain to this list

Roshan
14th January 2008, 05:17 PM

:exactly: And that's why he remains my all time favourite cricketer. Blunt, Courageous and Upfront - thy name is Ranatunga :notworthy:

karthik_sa2
21st January 2008, 01:18 PM
most cheerful cricketer off the field but toughest cricketer on the filed....

CEDYBLUE
22nd January 2008, 02:58 PM
a great bowler and a wonderful human being unlike warne.....i would rate murali higher than warne :) :thumbsup:

CEDYBLUE
22nd January 2008, 03:03 PM

To some extent we can add Nasser Hussain to this list

Nasser was a cunning fox never missing a trick to topple the opposition!!!but i believe dada,steve,arjuna and imran were inspiring captains!