PDA

View Full Version : IR's scores for TV

app_engine
5th September 2007, 07:15 PM
There's a lot of reporting on IR doing music for kalaignar TV (for a BR directed serial)...I think TV may give him some more opportunities to try out different stuff, without compulsion of a "commericially viable album / songs" format...It should be mostly BGM with a lot more freedom to experiment. And it may be possible for people to easily capture / record in high quality / share etc.

As this new TV channel is going to start on Sep 15, a new thread to discuss / share glimpses of this score (as well as Raja's prior TV efforts) may be quite useful...

app_engine
5th September 2007, 07:19 PM
Probably his first TV effort was for Doordharshan Chennai, when they telecast the serial 'peN' by Suhasini Maniratnam (each episode a different story about a woman)...He did BGM afresh, similar to his scores for movies...

What are the other projects on TV that IR has worked with?

Sanjeevi
6th September 2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah..

It is somewhat better to compose music for good serial than composing for 3rd grade movies

prana
6th September 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I suppose, he has accepted all these only for Kalaignar Karunanidhi, he has immense, respect for him, and vice versa. But Off Late, it was little bit, broken due to VM, geting closer with KK.

Also, we shouldnt under rate, saying, y does he waste his time in a futile attempt on TV.almost 40 yrs of film music, let him, have a break. And will soon bounce back with great Sound Tracks for BR,Bala,BM Movies.

MrJudge
6th September 2007, 05:07 PM

Wasn't Kathai Neram by Balumahendra done by IR too?

selvakumar
6th September 2007, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I suppose, he has accepted all these only for Kalaignar Karunanidhi, he has immense, respect for him, and vice versa. But Off Late, it was little bit, broken due to VM, geting closer with KK.

Also, we shouldnt under rate, saying, y does he waste his time in a futile attempt on TV.almost 40 yrs of film music, let him, have a break. And will soon bounce back with great Sound Tracks for BR,Bala,BM Movies.

It is true that his BGM will launch the serials in a diff plane. This will make him so popular among the lady crowd as well. :wink: who would love to shed more buckets of tears after hearing his BGMs. :wink:

btw, If this is a break from 5 songs commercial format of films, then what about serials ?

Father S
Mother S
Brother S
Sister S
etc etc
S - Sentiments

Prob, we can see IR scoring for ALL TYPES OF SENTIMENTS :D

selvakumar
7th September 2007, 11:24 AM
btw,
Just saw the trailor of the serial in which IR is scoring music ! It starts with usual intro song which has been sung by Ir and it looks pretty ordinary to me :(

something like nalla kudumbam namma kudumbam :x
The serial outlook itself looks bad. Donno why he went for this ? :x

prana
7th September 2007, 06:55 PM
Selva..Thnks for the comments..Please dont listen to the Song.. :rotfl:

Than what do you expect, 100 Violins and Viola's Peeping inbetween..It is more than enough for a Drama, and any day it would be of better quality, than a Non IR Drama.

selvakumar
7th September 2007, 07:12 PM
Selva..Thnks for the comments..Please dont listen to the Song.. :rotfl:

Than what do you expect, 100 Violins and Viola's Peeping inbetween..It is more than enough for a Drama, and any day it would be of better quality, than a Non IR Drama.

Certainly. But pretty bad that they are telecasting that in between the songs :lol: Couldn't change the channel at once :D
For a Drama, there won't be any songs except the intro song :P
Athu nalla irukkanum illaya ? :D
To me - It looked pretty ordinary.
Who knows, it might get popular since all the serial intro songs get popular like this only (Repeated listening)

raja_fan
7th September 2007, 10:06 PM
It hurt me when I saw IR singing that mediocre title tune for a mediocre film serial :(

It hurted me more when they showed another serial Ad with Deva singing the title song..So IR has come down to the level of Deva..what makes the difference then between a genius and a mere copy cat ?! :(

It is very ironical that Raja speaks of self respect when it comes to working with great directors like MR, BR etc who infact glorified him with their support, but lets go off all his self respect and sings for some politicians' intentions..

raja_fan
7th September 2007, 10:08 PM
btw.., I want to add that Deva's title song was better than IR's song..
I am ashamed to tell this, but this is the truth :(

Sanjeevi
8th September 2007, 10:01 AM
Saw Kalaignar TV's paper ad. Now, it is confirmed Namma Kudumbam serial with Ilayaraja's music. In the add, there was a mention about Bharathiraja's Therkathi Ponnu without mentioning who is MD. MD is IR?

kingvj
8th September 2007, 11:45 AM

Kathai neram was by Isaac thomas kottukapalli (thoovanam MD).

DeepTrance
9th September 2007, 12:39 AM
btw.., I want to add that Deva's title song was better than IR's song..
I am ashamed to tell this, but this is the truth :(

Come on... it can't be that bad. Which channel is this serial on?

MrJudge
10th September 2007, 10:53 AM

Kathai neram was by Isaac thomas kottukapalli (thoovanam MD).

Thanks for the info, Kingvj. It was a good serial and I haven't watched all of them but a few and those too I watched longtime back.

Sanjeevi
11th September 2007, 10:17 PM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/24072007-4.shtml

Sanjeevi
11th September 2007, 10:18 PM
More

http://chennaionline.com/film/tv/2007/07article30.asp

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/32557.html

raja_fan
18th September 2007, 05:05 PM
Yesterday at 9.30 P.M sharp, I sat down before Kalaignar TV for checking out "Namma Kudumbam"

First, the title song - by IR and Manjari.

Then I closely watched the title cards..

"Pinnani isai - By Kiran "

- I got a relief. So IR has just composed the title score..

Then "Isai - Isaignani Ilaiyaraja "

- hmm..confusion..is that "Pinnai Isai" means
"re-recording assistant" like that J.J.Manickam guy who did many IR films ??

Ok..I thought I will find it any way by watching the episode..Namma raja-naa signature thaan balamaa irkkume "

But still more confusion..

Yes, the BGM had some Raja's traces like flute and veena styles..but it was also the usual mega serial stuff like chorus "Ha Ha Ha" "Ho Ho Ho" etc..

Anyways.., the story and the narration does not differ frm any other mega serials.. Psychos and mentally disturbed people here too..

app_engine
19th September 2007, 02:05 AM
raja_fan, you remind me a classmate who used to watch every kuppai movie with IR's score, telling "ராசா படத்தக்கண்ண மூடிக்கிட்டே பாக்கலாம்"...You're so brave to sit through these TV serials...

raja_fan
19th September 2007, 03:15 PM
app_engine,

idhu enakku thevai thaan !
Yedho namma Rajaavaachenu ore oru episode paarthen. Adhukku ippadi thittareengale ? :(

K
20th September 2007, 02:21 PM
Pinnani Isai=Background Score is not by Raja it is by some guy Kiran

Sanjeevi
21st September 2007, 02:09 PM
appo title track mattum than IR. But they advertise like "with grand music of Ilayaraja' :banghead:

BTW enna app sir,

intha thread-la veru enna than post pannurathu?

raajarasigan
25th September 2007, 12:50 PM
In this week's Ananda Vikatan, it has been mentioned that BR is doing a serial with the background of Madurai named "Therkatthi kallan" for kalaignar TV..

For this IR is scoring the music..

raja_fan
26th September 2007, 05:23 PM
Not "Therkatthi kallan".

Therkatthi Ponnu.

mgb
10th October 2007, 05:48 PM
Probably his first TV effort was for Doordharshan Chennai, when they telecast the serial 'peN' by Suhasini Maniratnam (each episode a different story about a woman)...He did BGM afresh, similar to his scores for movies...

What are the other projects on TV that IR has worked with?I guess, IR's first venture with Madras Doordarshan was in the mid 70s.. Title music for "Vayalum Vazhvum" a tri weekly programme.. later on he used the same tune for "Naane naanaa, yaarothaanaa" song also