PDA

View Full Version : 101 things I learned from A.R. Rahman

lancelot
15th August 2007, 11:31 AM
this is an effort to collect 101 things the great man has influenced on your self.
it could be something serious, funny, something bad (may be a losson you got from ARRs actions) basically anything

1) Success or failure, turn to God
2) His stun gun is like Roger moore's :lol:

hehe
:D

rsubras
15th August 2007, 03:28 PM
3) It takes talent to succeed, but it takes modesty, sincerity and commitment to keep succeeding

dinesh2002
15th August 2007, 03:30 PM
well, ive learn from him

4.to live very simple & humble, i dun brag about me if ive done something good or i do not bad mouth others if they have achieved something great....

another thing i learn from him is

5.eventhough u did something great and it doesnt get apriciated, do not feel bad bout it coz God knows it and if im blessed, it will be realised years later.... :) just like ARR :D

Yathu
15th August 2007, 04:08 PM
6. MODESTY

7. RELENTLESS HARD WORK & PASSION IS ESSENTIAL FOR SUCCESS

:clap: ARR is a true modern day role model. :clap:

coucou
15th August 2007, 04:25 PM
8) avoid "thimiru"

9) help others

10) keep smiling :D

lancelot
15th August 2007, 04:52 PM
11) Take it easy Oorvasi

hehe

Ramakrishna
15th August 2007, 06:10 PM
12) absolutely no bandha

13) Being very polite

lancelot
15th August 2007, 06:47 PM
14) that a guy called Haris Jayraj will copy your music

hehe

MADDY
15th August 2007, 06:48 PM
15) Money is not a important thing in life - :notworthy: which is y i'll always be a ARR fan..... 8-)

selvakumar
15th August 2007, 06:55 PM

hehe

:sigh2:

lancelot
15th August 2007, 10:24 PM

hehe

:sigh2:

joke ma joke... sorry if i offended u.. am trying to make this thread not serious... :D

hehe

prasana84
15th August 2007, 11:11 PM
16. work in the night so tat u can concentrate more

Wibha
16th August 2007, 03:44 AM
17. hard work is always appreciated somewhere

18. never say die

19. simple living high thinking

lancelot
18th August 2007, 08:32 AM
20) Pray for me brother, don't search for a reason to be kind
hehe

Kreedam
18th August 2007, 07:22 PM
12) absolutely no bandha

13) Being very polite

Machi pudhusa edhavdhu irundha solu idhai erkanave inga solitanga :lol:

Be like AR Rahman and not like copycat 8-)

Kreedam
18th August 2007, 07:24 PM
ARR enga school senior often comes to our school culturals.

Enga area aalu vera

Everyone loves his passion for music in artistic way and not masala minded just for money scoring music.

He worships his profession as passion which surely i love a lot 8-)

doraip
5th October 2007, 02:51 AM
-deleted-

doraip
5th October 2007, 02:51 AM
-deleted-

thineshan54321
5th October 2007, 05:49 AM
-deleted-

Dragun
6th October 2007, 12:44 AM
-deleted-

crajkumar_be
17th October 2007, 03:24 PM
[tscii:79d7484a43]From Prabhu "Ferrari" Krishnan's blog:

http://prabhukrish.net/2007/10/15/lucky-lucky/#comments

Photo: http://prabhukrish.net/2007/10/14/when-words-fail/

Last june, during one of my cousins wedding I met one of my long lost relatives. When I was talking to him, he told me that he was working with the music industry. Not as a musician, but as a technician arranging instruments and setting up things in the studio etc. I thought his work profile was quite different and exciting. But when he said, ‘I have met Rahman sir twice’ I literally begged to him ‘Please take me to him, atleast once’. Sometime early last week, he told me that he has some work in A.R.R’s studio, and asked me if I would come along. He also told me that ‘Sir might or might not be there. I have work only in his studio, and I am not sure if we can meet him’.

I was more than happy to visit A.R.R’s studio. That in itself was a great thing for me. But I never knew that I would be so lucky. Saturday evening, we were initially supposed to be at A.M.Studios by around 7 PM. But due to some work, he got delayed and we were able to reach the studio by only 8.30 PM. It seems A.R.R had left by that time. But people from his office told my cousin ‘Sir ungala wait panna sonnaar’ (Sir, has asked you to wait) and made us wait in the first floor of A.M. Studios. We waited for some time, looking at the awards gallery and at his books collection.

The studio was so calm, and the interiors are tastefully done. Time just flew by and by around 11 or so, we received a message to meet A.R.R at his home. We rushed to his house, and were asked to wait at Panchathann. We were there for some 10 minutes or so, and before I realized I was shaking hands with the man, the maestro, the great A.R.R. Phew. Guess I looked so nervous. AC was on, but still I was sweating like crazy.

I have heard from people who have met him that he is so simple and humble. I can’t agree more. He came and sat next to me, and asked ‘Hey man, whats up?’ He was very friendly, and he has a great sense of humor. We were there for some 30 minutes or so, and I realized that I hadn’t asked him for his autograph or for a photograph. Boss was discussing something with my cousin and they decided to meet next day as well. And then he turned towards me and asked ‘Are you vegetarian or non vegetarian?’. I said ‘vegetarian’ and he said ‘Enna pa. Id anniku vandhu Biriyani vendaam solriye’ (What man? You are coming on the day of Ramzan, and don’t want to eat Biriyani?’) and he continued ‘Don’t worry, I will arrange Vegetarian’. I immediately agreed, as it meant I was also invited for the next day. Yay!!!

Next day we reached A.M.Studios by around 10.30 AM and this time, we had to wait for only 15 minutes or so. Boss came in a traditional dress (The one in the photograph), and this time I mustered enough courage to ask him for a photograph and autograph. I showed him the ‘Salaam Bombay Dreams DVD’ which Radhakrishnan from ARR Fans group had brought for some of us from London. I told Boss the same thing, as he was quite surprised how I got hold of it, as it was released only in UK and US. He is extremely friendly. I mean, he can just pose for the photograph and say bye bye. When my cousin took the photograph, he said ‘Inga avlova light irukaadhe pa. (There is not much light here) Come lets go near the window and stand facing the sun so that face is clearly visible’. Oh man! How much he understands a fans feeling? I really don’t have words to describe the emotions I underwent when the photograph was taken. Guess the photo says it all! After a while, he said ‘Come lets go home’. And you know what? He took us in his car.

My cousin was talking with ARR for some time and after that, we had lunch. They had ordered full meals from Saravana Bhavan, which I could not finish:D Who wants to eat? Post lunch, there were more guests and I could barely stand. My forearm had turned red by this time. Well, I was pinching myself for the entire day to find out if I was dreaming. Boss came back from lunch, spent some more time and bid adieu to us. (In the middle of all this, my cousin was discussing things related to their work with boss. It was all overhead transmission for me, since it was about music technology and things like that. But I didn’t care or even bother to understand what they were talking. Why on earth will I disturb them?’).

He shook hands again, and said bye after spending close to 5 hours with us. What a man? I am nothing to him. To spend close to 5 hours with a fan like me and treating me as a guest, shows how simple and down to earth he is. He needn’t have done all this. Talk to me for so long, invite to his house for lunch, share jokes with me, show some photos and videos, take me in his car. Even in the wildest of my dreams, I could not have imagined for something like this to happen. Not once did he behave like a celebrity, or try to show off. Really words fail me, when I have to describe Boss and his simple nature. While I was walking back to his studio to pick my car, I was quite overwhelmed with emotions. I didn’t know what I spoke with my cousin. I might have blabbered something :P

I left chennai by around 7 in evening, and during the entire journey was listening to A.R.R songs, and reached home by around 1 AM. For the first time in my life, a wonderful dream preceded the sleep. A dream that lasted for 24 hours. I don’t know if it has sunk in yet. If this is not luck, what is? I am really proud of being a fan of such a wonderful person.[/tscii:79d7484a43]

selvakumar
17th October 2007, 08:43 PM
I am sure Ferrari is going to be the "Jealous target" of all the Arr fans throughout the world :P should be a lucky guy ! meeting and speaking with your favorite hero / md / etc is not an easy task. Lucky guy indeed

littlemaster1982
27th January 2009, 08:32 AM
5 things to learn from A.R.Rahman (http://prashantpillai.com/music/5-things-to-learn-from-arrahman/)

Today, A.R.Rahman is a name known world over, thanks to Slumdog Millionaire and the awards and nominations its bagged. Like everyone here in India, I have known him and his music right from the time Roja was released in 1992.. thats a good 17 years.

Everyone speaks of his music, and what he eats, sleeps, drinks and what he does when he is free and so on so forth. But really, there are things much beyond that that one needs to know and learn from the legend that A.R.Rahman is. With so many many people who speak so high of him at all times, there are some things that are unsaid and certain things that we so easily ignore about Rahman, that makes him stand apart from the clutter.

The musical genius that Rahman is, most of that comes from his being and principles. Rahman’s success presents some valuable tips every person can apply to his professional life in an effort to help him achieve his goals.

And on that note, with the little that I know of him, I would share some of the learnings from A.R.Rahman.

1. Respect your parents

It might be very easy to brush this fact aside, but the truth is Rahman has always loved, respected and adored his parents. With his father R.K.Shekar leaving for heavenly abode when Rahman was nine years old, Rahman’s mother Kareema Begum, gave Rahman a new ray of hope and fresh lease of life. She painstakingly raised the family, and is one of the driving factors of why Rahman’s a legend today.

By the way, this relationship is not one-sided, Rahman’s love and affection towards his mom is immense. One instance where I got to know about his profound respect for his mother was, when I met Rahman for the first time at his residence in Chennai. After previewing him my work on a Audio Disc, and after realising my dream, when I was about to leave, I asked to myself “Why not live this dream? Why not work with the legend?” This sporadic thought made me ask him, If I could work with him, to which his reply was “I will have to ask my mother, I will talk to her and get back to you.” Now where on earth will you get an answer like that. And I guess Rahman talked to his mother and I was soon on my way from Pune to Chennai to work with the legend. This is the greatness and gratitude shown by the man, who loves, believes, respects and adores his mother.

And all my confrontations/meetings with Rahman’s mother have been memorable. She made me feel homely and asked about my family and my well-being.

If you look at most of the music launch functions, Rahmans mother usually launches the music album, and that’s the way its been. Which other music composer or for that matter which other media/entertainment personality do you know who follows this principle.

2. Be spiritually inclined

A.R.Rahman believes in god and spiritualism. Its not about the fact that he follows Islam, and offers prayers 5 times a day…its much more than that. There is a huge difference between being religious and being spiritual, of which the latter is what Rahman is made of.

In a recent interview Rahman revealed that, “Religious sounds rather vulgar these days, I am more of a spiritual person. And I believe in being consistent with my spirituality. As one grows in life, one realises the magnitude of spirituality. It is the most beautiful passion. It raises you above all the negativities. For me and my music, spirituality is the most important element and I don’t think I can create the kind of music I do, if I don’t practice spirituality.”

Rahman says “I have been particular about prayers for the last 15 years. With success and acknowledgement my faith and conviction in the strength of prayers has only increased ten folds.”

Spirituality has not only made him connect to his music, but has also made him connect to humanity. His association with various social causes/initiatives and his charitable foundation by the name of A.R.Rahman Foundation, proves it. There are many instances where Rahman and his mother have helped needy,deserving people in ways too many, which fortunately have not come under the media scanner, or else by now the Rahman would have been made a “superhuman” by the media. Somethings are good when they are untold.

Today many music composers try to ape Rahman’s music and follow his style of music making. They end up being commented how close they are to creating Rahman’s sound, which might give those composers an ego-drive and hype which is shortlived. For the legend that Rahman is, may it be known that it is his devotion to constantly bow down to the almighty and in the process finding peace and solace in oneself that makes his music so special and timeless.

3. Don’t leave your soul

Mumbai the mecca of Indian films and the entertainment industry, a place where any and every musician will find a way out to survive and earn enough to feed him for the day. It would have been so easy for a musician like Rahman to come down and settle in Mumbai and work for acclaimed filmmakers post Roja and Bombay. But the man preferred not leaving his home, his roots to a place where instant fame, recognition and money was assured.

Of the many ignored facts, Rahman’s major success lies in working from his home. Home is where your heart, mind, body and soul is. Rahman being in Chennai at his home, has made him unscathed of the many negatives associated with being in Mumbai. Mumbai, a place where anyone can get carried away by its humongous larger than life, plastic coated emotional people, and a place where hate daggers fly in public and in private.

With Rahman opting to work from Chennai, made only the cream of filmmakers approach him. Or else by now, there would have been a dozen of Yash Raj, Karan Johar, Sooraj Bharjatiya etc. films that would have Rahman’s music. Goodness gracious, Rahman saved himself from the torture of running in and out of the same rat hole that the Mumbai entertainment industry is.

In Mumbai, musicians spend a lot of time outside the studio, whereas they should be spending most of their time in the studio. Example this, a music composer ’scores music’ for a film and the music is out. He will now go on to spend the next 2/3 months attending various music parties, launches, 15 day record breaking sales party, singer being nominated for a sidey-shady award party, press interviews, television shows, etc… And then that music composer vanishes into thin air….sample these music composers and try to track their whereabouts….Anu Malik, Jatin, Lalit, Sameer Sen, Dileep Sen, Himesh Reshammaiyya..and so on…what have these guys achieved, some of them are getting work on their previous works goodwill, some are retired coz of their arbid soundscape, and some are busy acting…Fortunately Rahman has been far away from all these social PR protocols, located in one of the serene narrow lanes in Kodambakkam, Chennai. With no distraction whatsoever, he has all his energies focused on doing quality work from the comfort of his home.

My father once said “Look at Rahman, he has not left his home to work on any project. Did he move to Mumbai after so many Bollywood hits under his belt…” And his words striked a chord in me, its so true. It means a lot to be based out of the place where your family is, where your soul is..your home, your hometown.

4. Let your work speak for itself

Yes, let your work speak for itself. Many a times, there are instances where one will be criticised for the way he is, his dressing, his upbringing, his economic background. One will be made fun off, and will be called names. One will not get the support he expects to receive from his seniors and so on….But at the end of all this, if you have a strong will power you can overcome all these, and prove yourself with your work.

I had a very bad patch in my life, where I had to leave my dream halfway through and come back to Pune. I had no clue what I would do here in Pune, because the music scene here was bad. I got to share my experiences that I had in Chennai with Rahman, to which he was taken aback..and he advised, there will be many obstacles that one may have to overcome to achieve their goals, but it should not stand in the way and pull you down. He gave an example, where he was being humiliated by some directors and producers over the kind of music he had scored, and all this when Rahman was at his peak. He could do nothing about it, and preferred to remain calm and unmoved. And when his work was released, it got an outstanding response and was embraced by the masses. This overwhelming response and success he says was a slap on the face of those producers and directors. These words gave me the courage to stand up and face life afresh.

I started off as a brand new piece of particle on this planet and gathered my resources, knowledge and love and affection from my parents and sister to reach where I am today. Not that I have achieved something great in life, but what I have achieved today is purely because people have appreciated my work. And that’s helped me move on, and overcome the toughest phases in my life.

5. Be Humble. Be Honest. Be Simple.

With all the above in place, being humble, simple and honest is all that one needs to do to ensure a great life. With so much of stardom and attention after the Golden Globe, he could have so easily attended the grand premiere of Slumdog Millionaire in Mumbai, however he chose work over publicity. Oscars nominations were announced on the same day and Danny Boyle mentioned, “Can you believe AR getting 3 nominations that’s mind boggling, and that man is there working down south on Delhi 6…truly what a great musician.”

One instance of his humbleness is when I started to work with him, I was put on a software that I did not know to work on. I was told what I was supposed to do by him, but when he understood that I didn’t know the software, he sat down next to me and taught me how to work on it, and ensured that I knew exactly what I was doing, before I could start of the task..and that was a big learning for me.

Couple of months later one more such instance which I witnessed was, when there was a new pitching software that he ordered got delivered. Whilst unwrapping the software pack his excitement levels rose to that of a kid who would love to unpack the wrapper of his favourite chocolate. He could have so easily asked one of his assistants to get hands on the software and teach him the same, but he chose to learn it by himself. He inserted the software disc and started reading the manual, to know in and out of the software.

One thing that I learnt from the instances above is that, he makes it point that before designating a task to anyone before hand he wants to be sure that he himself knows how to do the task. He prefers not being an alien to any task assigned to someone by him. This shows his honesty, humbleness and simplicity. He carries no weight around him, and that makes him completely approachable and genuine.His childlike smile can pacify ones fear and anxiety of meeting him in person. Its like his smile speaks a thousand words. It depicts the purity of his heart and soul.

Today, Rahman has his inner circle populated by few people whose skills, and creativity can serve and benefit him and his music — people who professionally complement their own skillset and creativity(like, the music arranger, asst. sound engineers, sound engineers, etc.). He trusts this circle of people, has faith in them and believes in them and stands by them come whatsoever.

Being A.R.Rahman

Through his eternal values and simple living he presents us with opportunities for professional success provided we learn from them, adapt them to our own situations and implement them appropriately.

Courtesy: Pavan Kumar (ARRFYG)

thamizhvaanan
27th January 2009, 08:43 AM
26) Respect others.

27) Everyone has some stuff, everything has some beauty. Explore that.

28) Don't have ego, but still have some ego towards your work. Will help you produce quality work.

29) Ofcourse I can't learn music from him, but I learnt to appreciate music only starting from his work.

Shakthiprabha.
27th January 2009, 03:54 PM
1. I respect him for his HUMILITY :bow: He reaches stars yet stays grounded. For the same reason I wish he reach beyond stars. :thumbsup: niraikudam thaLumbaadhu .

lancelot
27th January 2009, 04:03 PM
1. I respect him for his HUMILITY :bow: He reaches stars yet stays grounded. For the same reason I wish he reach beyond stars. :thumbsup: niraikudam thaLumbaadhu .

SoftSword
27th January 2009, 04:05 PM

avar nirai kudam illai...
akshaya paatthiram...

MrIndia
29th January 2009, 04:43 AM
1.Be versatile ..

2.search for new opportunities.. there is always something u can achieve. like a flowing river than a stagnant water ...

3.music for the story instead of music for the audience.. :D

jaiganes
29th January 2009, 06:24 AM
One thing I learnt from ARR - is that
Be rigid when it comes to work regimen, but be flexible inside what you do as work - have room for improvisation - you might never know what you can do the next minute to enhance the song or an idea.

Wibha
29th January 2009, 06:32 AM
35. Everybody deserves a chance.

36. Follow your passions sincerely, success will follow you.

Thalafanz
29th January 2009, 07:01 AM
37. Conscious in not breaking others' relationships. :bow:

Ex: When GM approached ARR (before GM-HJ split), ARR kindly asked why since both GM and HJ shared a good rapport.

sabari_in
29th January 2009, 10:44 PM
Can anyone tell me the name of the book rahman suggested everone to read. He used to mention in interviews!!!

Yathu
29th January 2009, 11:31 PM
:? I don't think he's ever recommended any book in his interviews. Has he? I'm defo reading it if he has! :D

sabari_in
30th January 2009, 12:31 AM
Qn was asked for his humbleness?

His answer was like "If you read that book then you feel you are nothing".

Yathu
30th January 2009, 02:11 AM
Hmm, was this a recent interview? Im guessing its some kinda spiritual text. :)

sabari_in
30th January 2009, 02:43 AM
He mention that in kumudam magazine i guess... thats long back.

But he mentioned in sakkarakatti audio release function.

karthik_sa2
22nd February 2009, 12:58 PM
38. his respect for his competitors
39. never feels he has achieved something..keep learning
40. doesn look for recognition though they keep comin for him
41.never die attitude

jaaze
22nd February 2009, 01:23 PM
42. The power of prayers and spirituality- Almost every interview of him or others talking about him will invoke me to be more spiritual

43. Hardworking leads to success, together with the blessings of THE ONE

44. Be kind to people

45. Don't let pride stay in your head

46. Treat the work you do as your first or you may end up doing the same thing again