PDA

View Full Version : Best Preludes of Rahman

thineshan54321
29th July 2007, 03:50 AM
As the saying goes, "First impression lasts forever..."
It is true in music as well, when the prelude is beautiful, it makes the whole song beautiful. Preludes are the part that can either make you skip or continue or repeat when you play a song. Being a fan of Rahman, just by hearing preludes I am able to say whether it is by ARR or not. But which preludes are the best from rahman?

I'll start off... My recent favourite is munbe vaa's beautiful electric piano bit. I tried to play that in my keyboard but I ended up failing. Nevertheless, its such a beautiful prelude. Just melts your heart... So whats your favourite? I know there are tonnes, but take it one by one.

Wibha
29th July 2007, 03:56 AM
good pick......but there r so many and ARR's songs are known for it's preludes :D

thineshan54321
29th July 2007, 07:26 AM
good pick......but there r so many and ARR's songs are known for it's preludes :D

whats ur favourite wibha? the tune that comes to ur mind when i say prelude

Wibha
29th July 2007, 08:18 AM

whats ur favourite wibha? the tune that comes to ur mind when i say prelude

many

to tell a few

doli saj re....................:D i love the starting notes

minsara kanna...........

new york nagaram the humming

then merku parava kaatru

alea alea

littlemaster1982
29th July 2007, 09:43 AM
Prelude of Ennavale - Mesmerising flute

Muqabla prelude - :notworthy: Thalaivaaaa :notworthy:

Ramakrishna
29th July 2007, 12:40 PM
in the recent times, it is Munbe Vaa and New York Nagaram.

Yeh taara woh taara from swades. Awesome it was.

Yathu
29th July 2007, 06:35 PM
Mayil Iragae - Ah Aah --> Listened to this song many times, just for the starting alone!

Rajiyama - Baba --> Listen to this song just for the prelude. What is that instrument? A didgeridoo maybe?

coucou
30th July 2007, 09:22 PM
khalbali from RANG DE BASHANTHI
machakkari, munbe vaa, new york nagaram from SOK :thumbsup:
sahana, adiradee,vaaji vaaji from sivaji
sakarai inikira, new from new
azha thamizhamm, anna kili from KKS :thumbsup:
Mayiliragae, anbe aruyire from A AH :D

Nerd
30th July 2007, 10:13 PM
chikku bukku rayilE (After that kid's voice of course)
Its so fresh that its hard to believe its about 15 years old :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Sanjeevi
30th July 2007, 10:55 PM
Usilampatti Penkutti Muthupechi

hehe :D

thineshan54321
31st July 2007, 06:25 AM
my recent favourite is vaaji vaaji, the prelude is so classy (typical ARR/Shankar or ARR/MR). its so haunting!

dinesh2002
11th August 2007, 08:30 AM
my recent favourite is vaaji vaaji, the prelude is so classy (typical ARR/Shankar or ARR/MR). its so haunting!

the chant kinda rite... yea man.... they way ARR used the chant for the perlude & second interlude was excellent!!! followed by the "aambal aambal " vocal....WOWY!!! this ARR is too much.... 8-) such a briliant number.... = Vaaji vaaji :clap:

thineshan54321
11th August 2007, 08:47 AM

the chant kinda rite... yea man.... they way ARR used the chant for the perlude & second interlude was excellent!!! followed by the "aambal aambal " vocal....WOWY!!! this ARR is too much.... 8-) such a briliant number.... = Vaaji vaaji :clap:

i think around the time it was released, ppl were having a very hard time digesting the song. even i had mixed reviews. sometimes when i hear it its seriously good and sometimes its noise. but now after listening to it hundreds of times and watching the picturization, its just marvelous, in the league of thilanna thilanna. i just love shankar because he pays attention to the small details in the song make sure every single sound that ARR makes is not disturbed and he uses sets, dancers etc to accompany every single sound very carefully. brilliant imagination. for example, the kita thaka thaa kita thaka thaa with the small people is so nice. gives the sound the perfect setting.

littlemaster1982
13th August 2007, 12:14 PM
:thumbsup: :clap: Prelude of Chinna Chinna Aasai. :clap: :thumbsup:

Marked the arrival of a musical sensation that took TFM by a storm.

thineshan54321
14th August 2007, 04:11 AM
:thumbsup: :clap: Prelude of Chinna Chinna Aasai. :clap: :thumbsup:

Marked the arrival of a musical sensation that took TFM by a storm.

ya the flute especially along with the sunrise picturization. its like that prelude is made to represent sunrise/early morning or something. how do they do that?? :shock:

littlemaster1982
31st October 2007, 07:49 AM
Prelude of "Nee Marilyn Manroe" - Stuff that wannabes can only dream of. :notworthy:

A.ANAND
31st October 2007, 08:31 AM
valayapatti thavil-atm[mindblowing]
marlin monroe-atm[stylish]

SoftSword
1st April 2008, 04:13 PM
my pick is "oruvan oruvan mudhalaali" prelude...
even today, many orchestras start by attemptin to recreate it...

thineshan54321
2nd April 2008, 12:09 AM
best prelude? munbe vaa (nothing beats this).

madhu
2nd April 2008, 07:29 AM
IMHO... nEtRu illAdha maatRam :P

littlemaster1982
16th April 2008, 12:23 AM
Pachai Nirame - Alaipayuthey. The flute bit have been the startup sound in my system for a long time.

Sanguine Sridhar
21st April 2008, 02:53 PM
What about Konjum Nilavu,Korukku Chiruthavale,Thee Thee guys?!

littlemaster1982
21st April 2008, 09:07 PM
Konjam Nilavu prelude is a stunner. No words to describe :notworthy:

Ramakrishna
29th April 2008, 12:16 AM
Prelude of Sonnaalum ketpadhillai.....:notworthy:

MADDY
29th April 2008, 12:24 AM

thats a ripper 8-)

prelude of thee thee - rahmanukku rahmane nigar :D

Ramakrishna
29th April 2008, 12:26 AM

thats a ripper 8-)

Just that prelude is in a loop 8-)

Wibha
23rd June 2008, 03:16 AM
mel isaiyea

then merku paruva kaatru and dheem thanana..........he just brings out the natural music of rain and water :cool: :notworthy:

thamizhvaanan
23rd March 2009, 10:40 PM
Radha kaise na jaley from Swades :2thumbsup:

Ramakrishna
23rd March 2009, 10:48 PM

:roll: lagaan? :?

jaaze
23rd March 2009, 10:50 PM
Prelude of "Nee Marilyn Manroe" - Stuff that wannabes can only dream of. :notworthy:
I found it to be wasted esp the humming during the prelude. The music was awesome throughout the song though

thamizhvaanan
23rd March 2009, 11:01 PM

Ya adhey! konjam spelling mistake.

dinesh2002
24th March 2009, 07:55 AM

Ya adhey! konjam spelling mistake.

Spelling ah?? Movie eh mistake !! :twisted:

Yeap...the prelude,interlude and the postlude are amazing!!!!! The postlude is simply mindblowing if u ask me!!

shocker
24th March 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm assuming we can talk about outros aswell.

Rehna Tu's outro is amazing.

thamizhvaanan
24th March 2009, 10:16 PM
Speaking of outros, Rahman's reportoire covers some of the best stuff you can see in IFM. Yes, he is a master at pacing a song in any manner, yet his forte lies in improvising, stepping on the gas and delivering a stunning finale... you can observe it in most of his amazing compositions.

In this regard I always felt he is similar to Metallica (or vice versa).. the songs keeps better and better as it progresses, just when you think "wow its great" the next sequence comes to knock you off your feet.

Radha kaisey na Jale is an example, Lukka chuppi is even more illustrious. And ohhh those aalaaps that signs of Yakkai thiri!!!

genesis
27th March 2009, 10:17 AM
En Uyir Thozhiye from Kangalal Kaidhu Sei...(ofcourse it starts about 10 seconds in to the song)....

ajaybaskar
27th March 2009, 11:42 PM
Aye Hairathe....

Yathu
28th March 2009, 02:48 AM
I can't remember the last time I heard the first portion of Yakai Thiri fully, I always end up forwarding to the alaaps at the end! Its got so much energy!

About Rehna Tu, I initially thought the ending continuum bit felt a little out of place. I think its the sound of the instrument, kinda artificial/ unrefined. However, on consequent listens I didn't find it so jarring. Maybe I got used to it? The continuum sounds a lot better in the higher parts also.

A.ANAND
28th March 2009, 01:31 PM
yuhi chala - swades!

Ramakrishna
28th March 2009, 01:33 PM
I can't remember the last time I heard the first portion of Yakai Thiri fully, I always end up forwarding to the alaaps at the end! Its got so much energy!

athey thaan...Infact naa forward kooda panrathilla...I have seperated that portion and keep listening to only that in a loop sometimes.

Yathu
28th March 2009, 03:50 PM
:o RK, you mean you've cut up ARR's work? Chopped up a piece of art? :o

Ramakrishna
28th March 2009, 04:13 PM
:o RK, you mean you've cut up ARR's work? Chopped up a piece of art? :o

:lol:

dinesh2002
28th March 2009, 04:19 PM
En Uyir Thozhiye from Kangalal Kaidhu Sei...(ofcourse it starts about 10 seconds in to the song)....

10 seconds??? :shock: i think u heard the chopped version of the song. (which was released outside India). The Indian CD version contains a beautiful prelude of 35 seconds. Infact i myself got to know about this around early last year. Here is the Indian version of the song :

http://www.mediafire.com/?mywytwimmye

I still wonder how could the Music companies ever chopped out the BEAUTIFUL PRELUDE of it. Typical thalaiva stuff..... They should be been sued for it !! :evil:

AudazJay
28th August 2009, 11:44 AM
Rukumani Rukumani :lol: (after the old lady's voice- the drum beats were mesmerizing!)

Masakali - i don't know what instrument he used after the beginning aalaps, but boy, it was just amazing!

Anjali Anjali- the saxophone and Chitra's voice were just first class! :clap: And the tune ARR plays from the keyboard right after the sax...speechless :notworthy:

littlemaster1982
28th August 2009, 11:54 AM
Masakali - i don't know what instrument he used after the beginning aalaps, but boy, it was just amazing!

Accordion - played by thalaivar 8-)

A.ANAND
28th August 2009, 02:22 PM
dil gira dafatan-dehli6

music man
28th August 2009, 04:41 PM
Margazhi Poove Prelude...Wow..That was mesmerising stuff...Totally new and mindblowing at that time..Those tweeting sounds, flute,Warm pad music,synth anklets/bells and supersaw...Wow..

dinesh2002
28th August 2009, 04:55 PM
Margazhi Poove Prelude...Wow..That was mesmerising stuff...Totally new and mindblowing at that time..Those tweeting sounds, flute,Warm pad music,synth anklets/bells and supersaw...Wow..

do not forget, the tune is the Lord Venkatesh's Suprabatham. ARR just made it sound more mellifluous ... 8-)

music man
28th August 2009, 05:36 PM
Yes thats true...He has adopted Raag Hindholam and has clearly used Suprapaadham...But that prelude was too great and ahead of times...

Scale
1st June 2010, 03:07 AM
Chikku Bukku Raiyle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ebYTfx390) has one of the most gorgeous, funky, synthesized prelude.

Thundering beats + Stunning Sax + Train Sounds...

ada kalakuthu paar ARR stylea.... The song haven't faded even a inch after all these years. Aah!

Yathu
1st June 2010, 04:15 AM
:yes: Such a care free song! Still makes me wanna dance listening to it today. Suresh Peters has a great fun voice. ARR could use him once in a while too instead of featuring Blaaze time and again.

ajaybaskar
1st June 2010, 07:54 AM
Gentleman songs made ARR reach the masses... Chikku Bukku, Usilampatti, Ottagathai were being played across continuously in the local radio stations and tea stalls..

raghavendran
1st June 2010, 08:04 AM
:yes: Such a care free song! Still makes me wanna dance listening to it today. Suresh Peters has a great fun voice. ARR could use him once in a while too instead of featuring Blaaze time and again. :yes:

MADDY
1st June 2010, 10:10 AM
Gentleman songs made ARR reach the masses... Chikku Bukku, Usilampatti, Ottagathai were being played across continuously in the local radio stations and tea stalls..

yeah - tea stalls is the keyword here - rahman became a overnight household name with gentleman and chikku bukku rayile 8-)