PDA

View Full Version : Vani Jayaram's songs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Oldposts
26th December 2004, 09:00 AM
Topic started by avvaiyar (avvaiyar@hotmail.com) (@ 203.116.61.132) on Wed Jan 27 02:29:28 EST 1999.

I'm a new visitor to this website. I couldn't see anyone discussing about Vani Jayaram's songs.
Let me start this one.(It had been there previously pls. forgive me!)

"Ezhu swarangalukkul ethanai paadal..
Ithaya surangathul ethanai kelvi...
Vaazhum manitharukkul ethanai salanam.."

Wow! Beautiful voice!

Posts containing Lyrics: Alphabetical List (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=1059), Chronological list (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=1059&opt=c)

Oldposts
Old responses (http://tfmpage.com/forum/13841.6859.02.29.28.html)

Oldposts
Naaz
I second Saravanan's idea. Do record the whole conversation. You can edit it later to be presentable (why am I telling YOU this? you probably know better).

I don't know if you asked her anything about "Aanathineeyara" song and all her songs in the Swathikiranam movie. But if time permits, can you ask her what her feelings are for that movie and the song that won her the national award? The whole movie is filled with her songs. How did she feel about it? Working with KVM again for a musical film, winning many awards for it etc etc. You get my drift?

Oldposts
http://musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.5128/singer.1224/

Oldposts
Kaumudi -

I'll remember to ask. Let's hope the drift stays!

hehehewalrus -

Thanks for the reply.

That number seems to be dead - or near dying. I get a static wheeze and then some weird cross-talkish buzz. Then nothing. Madras-la mazhaiyaa? :-)

Saravanan -

The SOTD offering is new to me, and yet strangely familiar. Must be that "circa" effect?

Neel D -

Poo Mazhai? By all (un)heard accounts, pozhiyallainnu ninaikkiraen? :-) Never heard of it.
The lead that falls into your net sometimes - god!:-)

Oldposts
'That number seems to be dead - or near dying. I get a static wheeze and then some weird cross-talkish buzz. Then nothing. Madras-la mazhaiyaa? :-) '

Isai Puyal number kku adichu irukka poreenga. chk pannunga nalla :-)

Oldposts
Neel,

is Poomazhai a new film? Any details?

Oldposts
Saravanan,

I just happened to find it on musicindiaonline. I have no details on Poomazhai.

Oldposts
Happy Sarasvathi Poojai to everyone.

Visit http://www.stonewallcreations.com to read about "Magizhampoo Maalaiyiley", the new album from the Ezhu Swaranggalin Gaanasarasvathi.

Oldposts
Neel, has the album been released in India?

Oldposts
Saravanan,
I think it is releasing very soon.

Oldposts
a beautiful melody by SPB-VJ from the film Vasanthaththil Or naaL
vENdum vENdum ungaL uRavu
veN pani thenRal uLLa varaiyil
Visit this thread
Unearthing Rare Golden Oldies of TFM into MP3s

Oldposts
Please join me in wishing Neel D a very happy birthday! :-)
Hope you had a blast!

Naaz (from Thaayagam!!:-))

Oldposts
Many more happy returns of the day NEELD

Oldposts
Many happy returns of the day NeelD !
Naaz(thaayagam seems to have caught on! Thx ;-))

Oldposts
Has anyone heard this song from Muhurtham 11.30 am (Malayalam) before. Without reading the credits on the website, it is hard to say that it was Vani singing it. Here is the link,

http://musicindiaonline.com/l/20/s/movie_name.3524/ (http://musicindiaonline.com/l/20/s/movie_name.3524/
)

Music was by Shyam.

Oldposts
Naaz/raj/vengayam, thank you very much.

Saravanan, "Magizhampoo Maalaiyiley" has released in India.

Oldposts
Hi All,

Things are going real good here (what with a downpour to beat all downpours!!) and am having a great time.

Neel D -
Any reviews on the album? I hope to see it in album in the stores in the next few weeks.
I also spoke briefly to VJ last week. Have made a tentative appointment to meet with her on 23/24 Nov. Will keep you posted. I am looking forward to chatting with her in person after nearly a decade.

Vengayam -

I am with Thaai, in her Agam...Your "catching on" can use a "romba" prefix! :-)

Oldposts
ALL,

Do not miss Vani Jairam's light music concert on K-TV at 8:30 am Deepavali morning.

Also, do not miss the orchestra of Sakthinathan on SUN-TV at 6:30 am Deepavali morning. Sakthinathan composed the album "Magizhampoo Maalaiyiley".

Oldposts
ALL,

Do not miss Vani Jairam's light music concert on K-TV at 8:30 am Deepavali morning.

Also, do not miss the orchestra of Sakthinathan on SUN-TV at 6:30 am Deepavali morning. Sakthinathan composed the album "Magizhampoo Maalaiyiley".

Oldposts
I watched the movie Vishwathulasi and it was great to hear Vanijayaram's voice after a long gap. The songs were only two liners, I wish she was given a full length song in the movie.
HAPPY DEEPAVALI to everyone

Oldposts
Neel
Vani Jayaram's program on K TV is at 8.30PM

Oldposts
Sathya, thanks for the correction.

Happy Deepavali everyone!

Oldposts
Did anyone watch VJ's concert? Please tell us all about it.

Oldposts
Vani Jayaram chosen for Kamukara award
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 12: Noted playback singer Vani Jayaram has been chosen for the Kamukara Foundation's award for outstanding contribution to film music.

Vani Jayaram, who had rendered over 8,000 songs in different languages, was chosen for the honour "for her contribution to film music in general and the south Indian languages in particular," lyricist and jury-member Sreekumaran Thampy told a press meet here.

Instituted in memory of singer Kamukara Purushothaman, the award carries Rs 25,000, a citation and a memento. (Agencies)

Oldposts
hehehewalrus,

That is great news. Thanks for posting it. Is there a link where we can read more of it.

Congratulations to VJ!

Oldposts
Dear Neel,
it is here
http://www.chennaionline.com/colnews/newsitem.asp?NEWSID=%7B50D59652%2DAAE5%2D4DA9%2DB6 B3%2DEDB00D31E74F%7D&CATEGORYNAME=National

Oldposts
Thanks hehehewalrus.

All,
"Chozhanin makale" at the egroup. Don't miss it.

Oldposts
how come this thread in archived? very strange and surprising.

when is the next instalment from saravanan sir?

Oldposts
Naaz
You were supposed to have met VJ right around this time. I hope you can share your experiences with us.

Oldposts
Kaumudi -

The meeting with VJ was memorable and overwhelming! Have recorded the conversation - about 70-75 mins in all (and your question made it - VJ introduced the topic!) Will keep you posted on the broadcast date.
Thanks for remembering - and asking!

(Am posting this from between "here and there". More when I am back to that familiar "stability" called "home"!)

Oldposts
Naaz
Now I can't wait to listen to that conversation. Come "home" soon.

Oldposts
Neel D -

The new files at the website always surprise: Thanks for Kannil Vandhaai, Manmadha Raagangale, Devan Koyilmani, Vellikkizhamai...Your perseverence (in digging up these precious fossils) never ceases to amaze. Keep them coming!

Kaumudi -

I have not been able to check the recordings yet. But they made it home with me - safely. Hang in there, I'll get my act together soon enough.

Oldposts
Have any listened to the Visvathulasi songs yet?? I heard Vani is singing in this movie.

Oldposts
Naaz,
Welcome back. Looking forward to the interview. If time, geography and other factors did not limit me I will be able to dig out many more songs. Also special thanks to Saravanan, sk, manoharan, Venkat Raman and others for their valuable contributions.

Oldposts
Neel D -

I wouldn't call it an interview, more of a conversation with musical departures and digressions. VJ was in her element.

It was the last day of my stay in Chennai, and I was in the grips of that familiar "last-minute" paranoia. My random (interview) notes were brief and scattered and I was not terribly prepared. But - call it the intuitiveness of VJ - the recording was smooth, and the conversation charted it's own revelatory course. I've tried to make it something of an abstract exercise - free-flowing and without the usual formal cliches. As an experiment, the opening of the conversation is done differently, in the form of a musical quiz!! VJ was taken by the suggestion, and gave it all she had.
I could only manage an English recording (there was hardly any time left for a Tamizh fascimile) - but it is top-notch VJ, eloquently forthcoming.

Perhaps we could talk about getting it to the website sometime in the new year (after it airs on some north american non-commercial radios?) Can you think of other avenues? Please let me know.

Vanifan -

VJ has sung for Viswathulasi. However, her songs/verses are not included in the audio/CD.

Oldposts
http://www.hindu.com/lf/2004/12/05/stories/2004120500850200.htm

Oldposts
HI friends if you wanna
Largest Collection of Free Ringtones Latest Hindi Songs Latest Commercials English Songs
Free Polyphonic Tones
Latest Hindi Songs
Latest English Songs
latest Remix and Pop Songs
Latest Video Songs
Free SMS
Just Visit http://www.masti4india.com

Oldposts
She is in love. She is happy. What is so special in the air today? What is so special about that scent in the air today? It is the youth that just arrived, the solitude, and the sweetness of it all.

inRu varum kARRinilE enna visEsham - athu
Enthi varum vAsanaiyil enna visEsham
iLamai puthumai thanimai inimai

Will her love survive the difficulties? She is full of doubts and questions. She sees beauty and happiness in everything, but she questions it all. This happiness does come with pain and doubts.

vaNNamazai mEgaththilE Oviyam uNdO - athu
manathil uLLa Oviyaththai varaivathum uNdO
anna nadai pOduthammA ARRu veLLamE - EthO
Asai vali pattathamma nathiyin uLLamE

She is in love with a man from another caste. The lyricist says it with absolute poetic beauty - An "aal" is longing to marry an "arasu".
He goes furhter and equates the appearance of the "aal" to her state of mind. The "aal" with her ungroomed hair waits there in despair.

Alamaram thalai viriththu niRpathum enna - oru
arasanukku mAlaiyida thudippathum enna

There is love and romance everywhere. The sparrows are in love. The rooster is romancing the hen. The cuckoos are singing in joy. The peacock and peahen are making love. There are no divisions among them. The lotus is looking up at the sky for her lover. The sun, her lover, comes and embraces her. Does the sun have a caste?

thAmaraippU vAnathtaiyE pArppathum enna - athai
thazuva vantha sUriyanin jAthithAn enna

Is there a language for the words in one's heart? Or is there a device to capture the images in one's mind? Do eyes have boundaries? Do all women have a shrine in their hearts? Are there bonds that do not care abouts divisions? Who knows which heart connects with which heart? I am the query and I am the answer.

nenjil uLLa vArththaikkellAm bAshaigaL uNdO - antha
ninaivugaLai padam pidikka karuviyum uNdO

Such brilliant lines of poetry, a smoothly flowing composition, lovely veena, flute, violin and tabla. And above all the voice that brings everything together and carries the whole song on its expressive shoulders. VJ's trademark stresses at the right places, and the right expressions at the right words bring the listener one with the song. This is a song I came to know only a few months ago, but was released more than two decades ago. Thanks to sk for this lovely song that I listen to everyday and have memorized fully. If someone said that this song was composed by MSV, I would have believed it. Or if someone said that it was by IR, I would have believed it too. I hear both of them in the composition. But VJ said that this was by R.Govardhanam... and I believe her. Lyricist unknown. Another beautiful song from the same movie (Kadavulin Theerppu) is "anbu thalaivan kAladi chuvattil", a VJ-TMS duet.

Oldposts
Neel D -

A fine selection, and an equally confident reading. Thanks for highlighting this less(er) heard solo. I've always liked it (may be the only other person who remembers it too!) and your commentary was an able guide to an encore. Did Kadavulin Theerppu
spell exile for R. Govardhanam?

PS: Is it jairam'ji for Saravanan's chronology? Has been a long wait, yeah?

Oldposts
Naaz,
There are a few lines about R.Govardhanam's career written by Saravanan in VJ songs chronology, under another lovely song "Gangai Nadhi Oram". Govardhanam may have composed music for some Telugu and Kannada films as well.

I say "Yeah" to your PS.

Oldposts
Neel D -

I really have to give the past instalments of the chronology another reading. It will be one of the first things I resolve to do in the new year!

But, still, in the vein of forgetfulness (can be bliss at times!) has S covered "Isaiththuraiyil Enakku Kaadhal Vaegam"? What a master composition, and what a comprehensive rendition. The character (big guesses here, as I have not seen the film) seems to be caught in a whirlpool of diverse emotional currents. The song charts the swirl and gamut - from coy and coquettish, to wise and bold - lyrically, and yet it is the voice that enacts poetic conflicts of the heart. An amazing performance by MSV (the arrangements in this one are way ahead of their times - 70s film?) and VJ (the varied "mogam" shifts could make a study in itself!) dazzles, proving once again that she is in a league all her own.

A good comparative companion to Isaththuraiyil would be Lovely Evening (malayalam) from Chandanachchola.

Oldposts
Naaz,
"Isaiththuraiyil" has been covered in Chronology (1976). It is a song with VJ's unique stamps everywhere. How she chooses certain repeating parts of the song and modulates it beautifully and differently each time (mOgam, vEgam, inggE, etc). Just as the lyrics suggest, the entire song is a sudden outpour of emotions - vocally and compositionally. Another MSV-VJ magic.

Oldposts
Dear VJ Fans,
All the 238 Old Responses in this thread have been merged into a single easy-to-view HTML page with no frills. Click this page and download the zip(965KB).

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/justkool/tfm/good.html

Oldposts
Star,
Thank you very much for compiling the pages. But I was not able to unzip the file. Could you please check?

Oldposts
* -

Thank you for your efforts, aanaa, "Doom"nnu saththam pottu, akkampakkam yaaravathu irukkaangalaannu kooda paarkkaame "Can't Unzip"nnu solludhu unga File!! :-)

Can you speak (in kind terms) to F and coax it to oblige?

-----

Neel D -

Add Tharava Naan Tharava also to the list of songs that have to be heard again (and by all :-)!)
I hope S covers VJ solo for VK (one of my cherished songs by him) Mazhaikkaala Megam Magarajan Vazhga. VJ mentioned this song first when I asked her about her collaboration with VK. I also insisted that she sing a few opening words of Madanolsavam Rathiyodu Thaan.

I am thinking of airing the interview on CiTR early in the new year. Would you be able to feature another recording (longer or shorter) of the file at the website? Or you could use the radio program, if that makes it easy for you to record and convert? Please let me know.

Oldposts
Naaz,
Let us know when the interview will air on CiTR. I can feature the interview at the website after the radio program. Please do mail me the recording (tape or CD). That will be the best way to reproduce.

Oldposts
Neel D -

I'll put in a request and see if I can swing a slot for 9th January. Upon confirmation, I'll announce it here. Will send you copies of the audio file once the holiday mail melee is done with.

Oldposts
hi Naaz/Neel(Woodforde/Woodbridge? :)),
I was using winrar and not winzip and looks like winzip wont open winrar-compressed files. Now I have again zipped the html file using winzip and uploaded again. I am able to open it now. Please try again

Oldposts
Naaz,
Lookoing forward to the announcement.

Star,
I was able to unzip the file. Thanks so much.
Btw, I did not get the Woodford/Woodbridge thing.

Oldposts
* -

WF/WB - Good one :-)!
I was able to access the file. Thanks again.

Oldposts
Thiruppaavai (first 15 hymns) has been uploaded at the website. Music by T.R.Paappa. Do not miss.
<a name="last"></a>

AV
26th December 2004, 09:39 PM
The 22nd of December was the death anniversary of Vasant Desai, VJ's mentor. His death was very unfortunate and cruel - he was crushed while entering a malfunctioning elevator while returning home from work. The year 1975 saw the death of three great Hindi film music directors: Madan Mohan, S D Burman and Vasant Desai.

Here are two small articles about Vasant Desai:

http://old.musicindiaonline.com/MIO-Artists/MusicDirectors/Pages/VasantDesai.html

http://planetm.indiatimes.com/customcd/category/PlanetMCustomCDCategory.jsp?catid=15

Naaz
26th December 2004, 09:46 PM
AV -

Thanks for the aricles in memory of Vasant Desai.

All -

The VJ conversation will air on 9th Jan on CiTR (8-10 pm PDT) and will feature the FULL songs that VJ mentions during the conversation. I might have time for 3-4 more songs....If you have any Tamil/Telugu/Malayalam/Kannada recommendations - please share them with me.

Hope you all can tune in.

Season's Greetings to All. And Best Wishes to TFMpage in it's NEW, IMPROVED (?) avataar!

Neel D
30th December 2004, 10:34 AM
Here is a link to a song from an album on Velankanni Mata. When all hope is lost the only thing one can do is plead to the Mata. Listen to VJ's melting and moving rendition.

http://www.vanijairam.com/Pages/vjtamilbhakti16/annai_nI_enakkoru.mp3

yvsmani
5th January 2005, 04:22 PM
I got hold of a devotional cd titled "om ganapathi saranam" presented by Gulshan kumar and consists of vinayaka and muruga devotional songs by various singers and VJ ( some slokas and some songs). Did anybody listen to it ?

Ramki
7th January 2005, 04:51 AM
Article on VJ

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/01/07/stories/2005010702960300.htm

Naaz
7th January 2005, 11:47 PM
Ramki -

Thanks for the article/link.

Naaz
8th January 2005, 09:47 PM
My apologies, but the conversation with VJ will not air tomorrow on CiTR as previously announced. I will reconfirm the broadcast date when I have a new slot. I regret this postponement.

Naaz

Neel D
8th January 2005, 10:50 PM
Ramki, thanks for the link.

Naaz, no problem, do let us know when you have it rescheduled.

Naaz
14th January 2005, 09:56 PM
A sweetness that lingers, a nourishment that strengthens, and a sharing that's joyous and forever.....

Best Thaippongal wishes to all VJ admirers/fans and participants at TFMpage!

Naaz

Neel D
15th January 2005, 11:07 AM
yvsmani,

I have heard about that album but have not heard the album. What are the songs by VJ? Please tell us about them.

yvsmani
18th January 2005, 04:46 PM
Jaya jaya gana naayaka is my pick of the album

AV
20th January 2005, 04:08 AM
Register at http://www.samudhra.com (it's free) and check out the February 2004 issue. It has a longish interview with Vani Jairam. The magazine, as such, has many beautiful articles about various other personalities such as T V Gopalakrishnan and P. B. Sreenivos.

Naaz
22nd January 2005, 10:12 PM
AV -

I've come to depend on you and Neel D for these news-story links. Thanks for sharing your readings/discoveries with us, and keeping at least me up to date :-)
-------------
Does anyone have an MP3 file for the VJ-SPB Kannada duet (from Bayyalu Daari) : Besuge Besuge Jeevanadhella Sundara Besuge...
(This same tune was recycled by VB in Aadu Puli Aattam - but for a solo by SPB picturised on Kamal: Uravo Thanimai Ninaivo Inimai)
I'd be happy to have the Kannada version in my library - so please forward the file if you do have it! TIA!

Neel D
23rd January 2005, 02:08 AM
Saravanan, where are you? Looking forward to next installment of Chronology.
AV, thanks for the link.
Naaz, do you have a new date for VJ interview broadcast?
yvsmani, there is a jaya jaya gananayaka at the website. Is that the same song you are referring to?

Neel D
24th January 2005, 05:50 AM
All,
This song (Elam Manjil) is just too good. Please have a listen.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/20/s/movie_name.3707/

RR
25th January 2005, 07:06 PM
good one, Neel. Post more such, preferably TFM.

AV
27th January 2005, 04:18 AM
http://www.worldspaceasia.com/modules.php?name=WS_Home&art=readfeature&sid=129

Neel D
27th January 2005, 07:13 AM
All,
The musicindiaonline link I posted seems to now be pointing to a different page. The song I mentioned "Elam Manjil" is from the Malayalam film "Paathira Sooryan".

AV,
Thanks for the link. That was a good interview.

Naaz
28th January 2005, 05:52 AM
AV -

Thanks for the link. I had read this interview ( with a few factual errors therein) sometime ago. VJs Kannada songs are all worthy and memorable.

Neel D -

I am planning on broadcasting the conversation sometime in Feb - earlier than later - so rest assured!

BTW, where's Kaumudi these days?

RR
28th January 2005, 02:46 PM
"Subham Audio-Tamil Devotional - Thiruppavai - Vani Jairam "

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/01/28/stories/2005012800330300.htm

Naaz
30th January 2005, 10:37 PM
Neel D -

I just listened to Elam Manjil. In two words: absolutely ambient.
The two versions of Sowgandhigangale by PJC / KJY are a find, too.
Does the website have selections from Thiruppaavai? (have to check.)

RR -

Thanks for the link.

Naaz
1st February 2005, 09:55 PM
Neel D -

Thank you for uploading the Thiruppaavai (1-15) at the website. What an experience! The Hindu's music critic ( surya prasad? gets it right, when he says:
" Vani Jairam in her own inimitable, mellifluent style has sung the verses with soul and spirit that requires a special level of commitment."
It is to VJs credit that she brings the same dedication to pedestrian songs (recent Pick of the Week being a good example,) making them both "special" and "inimitable." Such perfect studies in contrast!

The Thiruppaavai compositions (not knowing too much about ragas and prayogas) are simple and VJs singing holds great clarity and control. It would be nice if someone from around here could identify the different ragas and segments of the piece - and educate us all ?:)

rajraj
2nd February 2005, 12:29 AM
Naaz: The tradition has been to sing Tiruppavai with a particular set of ragas. But, these days that is being changed. Can you post the link so that I can listen and see what ragas are used? Thanks.

I looked at the link provided by RR. They do use ragas different from the traditional!

Naaz
2nd February 2005, 07:01 AM
rajraj -

The verses are available at www.vanijairam.com

(Click Tamil Bhakti, last page.)

Thanks!!

Naaz
14th February 2005, 10:56 PM
I found this in my In Box this morning:

The Hindu of 28th January
"Mahizhampu
Maalayile".

Vani Jairam, a leading playback singer who has lent her captivating
voice in various regional languages such as Tamil,Telugu, Malayalam,
Hindi, Urdu, Marathi and Bengali, is an artiste of outstanding merit.

She is an exponent of devotional music immortalizing the hymns of poet
saints like Tulsidas, Kabir, Surdas, Meera and many others. This work
of hers comprises of Tamil songs by lyricists such as Kavingnars
Muthulingam, Piraichoodan, Kamakotiyan, and Krithiya.

The music soothing and sweet, music for the songs is credited to M.
Saktinathan, who also wields the orchestral baton with perspicacity to
produce a pleasant non-strident ambience.

Vani, rendering the songs in different scales with absolutely clear
lyrical expression and remarkable melody, is truly one of a kind.

- S.P

gragavan
16th February 2005, 12:36 PM
yesterday it happened to listen the Malaysia Vasudevan hits cd. The duet "Pattula chela! Kazhuthula rathuna maala" with VJ was awesome. I really enjoyed it. Surprisingly I cud remember the tune and some lines well. Probably wud hv heard in childhood and liked it. can anyone please throw more info about the song?

regards,
Ragavan

AV
17th February 2005, 06:01 AM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/27/s/singer.1224/

The above link contains several Telugu songs by VJ. I noticed a song "Manadesamera Minna" from a recent movie "Vachinavaadu Suryudu" (Year 2002).

And here is an assortment of Telugu devotional songs, many of them by Vani Jairam:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/7/s/diety.11/

Enjoy!

Naaz
18th February 2005, 07:04 AM
AV -

Thanks for the links. I tried listening to the most recent one (2002) and found it to be an amazingly garbled and warped recording. I wonder why MIO bothers with such bad versions.

Ennai Marandhaaya? from the recent Magizhampoo Maalaiyile is a truly refined moment (most songs from the album are,) where composition, arrangement, lyrics and singing all meld into one synchronous whole, and the experience borders the epiphanic.
Both, a murmur of disbelief and loss, and also a statement in defense, the song captures a break up in a mellow, ruminative and rueful frame. And how the harmonium mourns, each note opening into a deeper sorrow!
A song that begins with a hum - a prolonged sigh of heartbreak - ends quietly. All along, moving you, and moving into you, just as quietly. Such a silent killer, indeed!
Give it a listen if you haven't already.

Naaz
18th February 2005, 11:14 PM
A message - and click on the link within rightaway for a fantastic programme in Kannada featuring VJ, SJ, and SPB hits for VB and R/N.

Part One is currently playing and Part Two is on later today. It is a fine compilation so far!

-------------------------------------------
Date: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:27 pm
Subject: 30 Super hit VJ Kannada solos and more..

Hi fellow VJ fans,

I am excited to present the best VJ special ever on our Internet
Radio

A truly delicious menu :)
30 Super Hit Kannada solos of Vani Jayaram - all from 70s to mid 80s
with mostly in the music of VB (VijayaBhaskar) "served" with all-
time greatest dues of SPB-SJ in R-N's (Rajan-Nagendra's music)

Please visit - http://www.kannadaaudio.net for timetable in PST. if
you miss it, don't worry, it will be repeated over the weekend.

Stay tuned ..
Coming soon other combinations like
Over 20 greatest duets of VJ with the actor-singer Dr.Raj
Over 50 duets of SPB with VJ including a fresh update of super hits
from the late 80s and early 90s

I was waiting for my personal collection of VJ in Kannada to cross
100, and whoa.. it just hit 125+ songs

I will encourage to join the kannadaaudio forum, for detailed
discussions on VJ songs in Kannada along other KFM related. I am
planning to make these songs available in the forum, after this
special.

Warm Regards,
Sri

RR
19th February 2005, 08:22 AM
Ennai Marandhaaya? from the recent Magizhampoo Maalaiyile is a truly refined moment (most songs from the album are,) where composition, arrangement, lyrics and singing all meld into one synchronous whole, and the experience borders the epiphanic.
Thanks for the reco Naaz.. This seems like a pretty good song.. I just listened to it (well.. part of it) at
http://www.vanijairam.com/Pages/VaniTamilSolo19.html
Full version available anywhere?

Can you or Neel tell us more about this album?

Naaz
24th February 2005, 09:19 AM
RR -

I got my copy of Magizhampoo Maalaiyile by contacting Stonewall Creations. The VJ website has their email id.
It is a fine effort, and I'll write about a few more songs in the near future. A bit preoccupied with work these days.

Neel D -

Who is the MD for Vadivangal? Chandrabose? I heard Kalaimagale Unnai Azhaikindraen after many months.

Neel D
28th February 2005, 12:37 AM
Naaz, the MD for Vadivangal is Chandrabose. "kalaimagaLE" is a nice solo. There is also a VJ-SPB duet "idayavAnil ulavuginRa" in that album.

Naaz
6th March 2005, 09:05 AM
Neel -

Thanks for the confirmation - Kalaimagale is an unusual CB composition. I have not seen the film, but from the orchestral arrangement (esp the chorus) one could conclude that it is a stage (college??) performance of sorts - and tres "cinematic" at that.

I have confirmed a radio slot for 13th March. If all goes well, I might just broadcast the conversation with VJ on that night ( CiTR 8-10pm PDT) I will confirm on 12th evening. Watch this space!

RR -

I'll write a brief review for the tracks on Magizhampoo Maalaiyile the week after the conversation is broadcast as VJ talks at length about the album. She also speaks glowingly about Pugazhendhi, and it is tragic that he has left for the world beyond....

Naaz
13th March 2005, 08:20 PM
AV, Kaumudi, Neel D, Saravanan (if you read this) and all VJ rasigars:

Excerpts from the conversation with VJ (with a few select full-length songs) will be aired tonight on CiTR from 8-10pm Pacific Time. The VJ section will be about an hour of the programme - I haven't decided if it will be the first or the second hour on Rhythm's India. But it will be featured for sure! Tune in if you can.

http://www.citr.ca/

Click on Listen Live from the menu at the top-left.

Naaz

Neel D
13th March 2005, 08:20 PM
Naaz,

Any update on the radio program? Are we still on schedule?

Neel D
13th March 2005, 08:22 PM
Naaz,

What a coincidence? :-)

AV
13th March 2005, 09:20 PM
Naaz, thanks for informing us. I shall surely try to tune in, and listen to you and VJ speaking to each other. And full-length songs, wow! :-)

Naaz
13th March 2005, 09:35 PM
AV -

Do your best to tune in. I think there is a section in there somewhere when VJ talks with great pride about JA and UM. Within the conversation VJ sings anataraas and the opening notes of a few songs. I have tried my best to offer the full-length of the songs immediately after those sections. It should be an interesting hour (if everything goes without a technical hitch...) Also inform/urge your music lover friends in India and elsewhere to tune in. VJ is truly in her element in this one!

AV
13th March 2005, 09:48 PM
Naaz:

Who is UM? I assume JA is Jitendra Abhisheki.

Naaz
13th March 2005, 10:15 PM
AV -

JA is right. UM is Usha Mangeshkar (with whom VJ has sung marathi duets, none of which I have heard. Have you?)

-----

Programme Note:
I have been gifted with a timely and creative suggestion for the programme tonight. Not knowing how to fill the two hours (talk can be boring after a while) I was in a flux...Now I am not:
The programme would be multilingual - and there will be more songs by VJ, SPB, SJ, Yesudas, PS, Dr. Raj Kumar and others. These will be the prelude and/or the denouement to the conversation. I promise to keep myself to the minimum - just the way I like it!

balsat
14th March 2005, 11:14 AM
Naaz,
I can't explain the experience in words-
Thanks a lot for the great prog.
It was a treta to listen-am still listening
balaji

balsat
14th March 2005, 11:20 AM
My wife is travelling to madras-where can I get this CD in Chennai
Balaji

Neel D
14th March 2005, 11:40 AM
Naaz,
Great program. Wonderful presentation. Excellent songs and conversation with VJ.

Neel D
14th March 2005, 08:35 PM
VJ fans,
A conversation between VJ and Naaz has been uploaded at the website. www.vanijairam.com. Listen to VJ speak about her music and career and sing several songs.

Naaz
14th March 2005, 08:38 PM
balsat, Neel D -

Thank you for tuning in and saying those nice things! It was an unusual moment for CiTR, too!
I had a few inquiries about VJs latest Magizhampoo Maalaiyile. I've asked those listeners to contact Stonewall Creations (asked them to do a google!!) Balsat might want to give it a shot as well.

AV
14th March 2005, 10:53 PM
Naaz, that was a wonderful conversation. It was very pleasant to listen not only to VJ, but also to you, on radio. I relished VJ's humming of the notes of raaga Dhanyasi. Really a raga of ecstasy!

I also enjoyed the song selection. The two Salilda songs (by PJC and SJ), the duet of the Soolamangalam sisters, and the last song in the programme by VJ "shree gaNanatham bhajaamyaham" were a real delight. I have been humming the last tune for the past several hours. I hadn't heard it before, and I fished it out from the website, and gave it at least four listens. In fact the songs and the programme were great respite for me, in my jam-packed schedule.

Please notify us if you do any more such shows, and hopefully you would do a show entirely on Tamil devotionals by VJ or other renowned artistes.

Thank you once again.

balaji
15th March 2005, 06:47 AM
Neel D and Naaz

Thanks for the Interview.

I am one of those IR fans (u may call me Fanatic), who used to not think high of any singer that IR did not repeat in his music Direction. Even though VJ used to sing songs for IR, to me she was still associated with SG/MSV/Chandrabose in those days (except for the brief 84/85 years when SJ took a short trip to Bollywood)..

With age started appreciating the singer and soon started feeling IR did great injustice to this wonderful Tamil Singer..

WOnderful conversation and honest comments. She has not lost her voice/shruthi/bhava a bit. Felt pained to see her recent songs chopped mercilessly. Let the songs chop from Film, why not release them in Audio? Never understand how film world works..

Thanks once again and kudos to both of you.

There used to a duet by TMS-VJ in Vishwaroopam (I think filmed on Sivaji and Sridevi). Any one can advise?

Bala

Neel D
15th March 2005, 10:10 AM
VJ fans,
Naaz's radio program (a big part of it) has been uploaded at the website.

AV, how could you have missed a classical number like Sri Gananatham this long? So not like you. Glad you caught up. Other songs Naaz played such as Mazhavil Kodi by SJ and Karpoorada by PS are excellent songs too.

balaji, you are welcome.

Naaz
15th March 2005, 10:11 AM
AV -

The respite was not yours alone. The 2 hrs in the studio vanished in a flutter of swaras and ditties. It was the quietest time I had had all week! I was so caught up in getting the segments right, that I had not listened to VJs words. When I was playing them on air, they really affected me. Such brilliance, and such erudition is truly rare.
The full version of the conversation has a few other such moments - the Oriya piece in the concluding bit is all-out masterful where VJ delienates the aadhara shruti and talks about swarabedham. And the song she chooses to end the conversation... Genius! :-)
It would be great if you can get your hands on the VJs songs for JA / & Usha Mangeshkar - and share it with us.

Balaji -
Thanks you for your kind words. It was great to meet VJ after nearly a decade. She is a class-act all the way.
VJ songs (solos esp.) for IR ,even if fewer in number, have been stellar (incl. the telugu ones!)
I recommend her Magizhampoo Maalaiyile, wholeheartedly. Finesse, reborn.

PS: Are you thinking of Pudavai Kattikkondu Poo Ondru Aadudhu?

Naaz
15th March 2005, 10:12 AM
Neel D -

Missed you by a minute this time :)

Naaz
15th March 2005, 11:25 AM
Balaji -

It just struck me that the Pudavai duet was picturised on Saritha/Sivaji (KVM) - I don't recall the name of the film. The song from Viswaroopam might be "Rajaathi Rajanukku Rani Mele Kadhaladi"?
It is a guess, and others here might be better informed.
(Was Varththai Naanadi Kannamma also from the same film?)

AV
15th March 2005, 11:34 AM
"It would be great if you can get your hands on the VJs songs for JA / & Usha Mangeshkar - and share it with us. "

Naaz,

This was news to me too. I did not know that JA had composed for a film! However, I shall try to hunt out an mp3 file of a recording of Vani Jairam with Kumar Gandharva, which was very popular, and still is quite a well-known song. The song is based on Raag Pahadi (methinks) and is from a Marathi play "Dev Deenaghari Dhaavala". Music is by Vasant Desai.

Neel,

I have decided to go through the website page by page again, and lay my hands on all the classical songs that I have missed :-).

Naaz
15th March 2005, 11:51 AM
AV -

Sri Gananaatham is the essence of a VJ song (IMO) - immaculate, full of verve, and done with acumen and relish. You can feel the life of every syllable.
Ramki had featured this song as an early Pick Of the Week selection.
You might also want to check out Naadhamayame Jegamo for another breakneck speed semi-classical delivered with ease.

When I was under the tutelage of JA he would describe VJ as a "shandaar kalakaar." Unfortunately, my knowledge of VJs songs and classical music was really minimal at that time, and I couldn't ask him for examples. But now I know what he meant - and how right the man was!!

Santosha
21st March 2005, 07:41 PM
Why Saravanan is not continuing his chronology of VJ???

vel1970
22nd March 2005, 12:43 PM
kelviyum neeye badilum (therindavan) neeye

AV
23rd March 2005, 09:43 PM
Pardon me for an off-topic post in this thread. But do log onto to MIO and listen to the songs of the new Hindi movie Taj Mahal, released last month. The music is by Naushad and the songs have been sung by Hariharan and Preeti Uttam. After many years, has a soundtrack emerged in Hindi films that reminds one of the quality of the music of yesteryears. Naushad has done a fabulous job. The music is awesome and so is Hariharan's singing, quite unlike what I heard in Veer Zaara (which has unreleased tunes of Madan Mohan).

I just thought that I'd post this non-VJ link here, because most people here enjoy classical and light-classical music.

Hopefully, Taj Mahal will inspire some of the great composers of yesteryears like Khayyam, Ravindra Jain, Ravi, etc. to come out and compose music for a film or two. Even further, it might inspire film composers of today to not totally forget the value of Indian traditional music.

Naaz
25th March 2005, 01:08 AM
AV -

Good prompts should not beg pardons :)
I listened to the songs and found them to be compeling. The finest of the lot is Hariharan's Apni Zulfein. A swirl of dark chocolate and cherries. A song with great depth and sweep.
Ajnabi Thehro Zara is also a good track, although Preeti Uttam feels like she is definitely overreaching here (a Sadhna Sargam would have taken this to heaven) and it shows. The Mumtaz Thuje Dekha ghazal would have been stellar if not for the Dilruba Dilruba wails (why???) conspicuous ( and cheaply so ) like limestones in a mahal of marble.

How does this compare with Veer Zaara? Let's not go there.
:)

Neel D
25th March 2005, 08:36 PM
All,

Vaamanan is writing a series on Vani Jairam in Cinema Express. If the link I have provided does not work go to the website's homepage and click on saadhanaiyaalargal.

http://www.cinemaexpress.com/achivers/

Naaz
26th March 2005, 02:45 AM
Neel D -

Thanks for the link. I had to struggle to get my font thing going, but it worked! Vaamanan's writing is both lucid and brisk, and he does a great job with context/discography. The mid bits on V-R are particularly noteworthy. Is this a series on VJ songs or a one-off? (weekly? bimonthly? please inform!)
There is one paragraph in there where he paraphrases the recording / studio engineers' summation of VJs voice. What a priceless compliment it must for an artiste!

Neel D
26th March 2005, 08:36 AM
Naaz,
Cinema Express online issue is updated on the 1st and 16th of every month. If you see (thodarum) at the bottom it is a series. Vaamanan has written very nicely with a lot of background information that I never knew before, such as K.R.Vijaya requesting VJ be her voice for "Malligai En Mannan". Now I would like to make a list of all VJ songs for KRV.

balaji
27th March 2005, 05:31 AM
AV

Thanks for the advise on Taj Mahal. What a relief from the current crop of hindi songs. Veer zara, less said the beter.

Apni Zulfein is good no doubt. However all songs sound like 'Engeyo Ketta Padalgal Raagams'.

May be the lyrics make the difference. Lack of sound Urdu knowledge prevents me to appreciate the lyrics.

Didn't Naushad give a film in the 90s with SPB-Anuradha Paudwal singing all the songs (some Payal film?). Any one remember the film name..

Neel D: I was also surprised to read that KRV wanted VJ to sing the song.

5 gems of KRV-VJ song that I can think of.. Sure the vanijairam website can provide more numbers..

1. Malai raani Mundhanai - OVOB
2. Thathi chellum Muthu -- TP
3. Kannan Kovil - Akka
4. Kodivitta chirumullai - Mayor Meenatshi
5. Mazhaikaala megam - Kasthuri Vijayam

Thanks
Bala

Naaz
27th March 2005, 06:38 AM
Neel D -

I am glad that it is "thodarum" (it was the number 131 or something in the corner that threw me. I thought Vaamanan picked a new artiste for each instalment!) and I look forward to reading his views.

VJ songs for KRV (adding to Balaji's list):
Mangalappoo Mazhai (OVOB)
Sapthaswaram Punnagaiyil (NU)
Kadhirvel Naayagane (from Nangooram...did it feature KRV or Lakshmi?)

There might be a few more, I can't recall them rightaway.

AV
27th March 2005, 06:41 AM
Didn't Naushad give a film in the 90s with SPB-Anuradha Paudwal singing all the songs (some Payal film?).

Its Teri Paayal Mere Geet. It stars Govinda (!!) and Meenakshi Seshadri.

About the lyrics of Taj Mahal - they are good but not great as such. Maybe I have missed something. IMO, its Hariharan who is the best part of the track. And of course, the classical piece by Ajoy Chakraborty is very nice.

madhu
27th March 2005, 11:41 AM
Hi Naaz!

Nangooram song is for Lakshmi.. No KRV in the film.

BTW a nice song "sugamana ragangaLE" from "mirudhanga chakravarthi" is by VJ for KRV.

Naaz
27th March 2005, 08:39 PM
Madhu -

My memory is Nangooram-less these days....Thanks for reigning it in with that confirmation. VJ has sung most of her memorable solos for KRV / Lakshmi / Sujatha. Songs with great character. I have seen Nangooram, but remember nothing about it (although I remember Gaamini Fonseka's face!!)
Sugamaana Raagangale is a solo with VJs mastery writ large. I also find her swaras/humming in Abinaya Sundari (with SSC) to be done with great relish and panache.

This comment:

"With age started appreciating the singer and soon started feeling....(the) great injustice to this wonderful Tamil Singer."

is rather perceptive. VJ is not everybody's singer, and definitely not a singer appreciated by the "populist" listeners. Like great art & literature that only reveals itself uniquely anew with age (think Thirukural, Paavai, Vaasagam...Shakespeare, Proust, Milton, Dickinson...) VJ is a connoisseur's delight. Those who know nuance and finesse (these come with age?) will always find VJs songs to be superlative studies in excellence. A wonderful "Tamil Singer" she undeniably is...but sadly wasted on a people that don't know the value of High Art.
Thanks for the comment. It was exactly the kind of response I was anticipating (and have been for years) from a tamizh listener.

Neel D
27th March 2005, 08:50 PM
balaji/Naaz/madhu,
Thanks for listing KRV-VJ songs. Some more songs
pAlilE veNNai uNdu - Devi Sri Karumari Amman
cudarAga oLiyAga - Aval Sumangalithan
A duet with Manorama from Thaayaa Thaaramaa. I had an old copy of this song but lost it.

AV,
I listened to five songs from Taj Mahal. I really liked three of those. It will be nice if songs like these can set a new trend in the film industry at least for a short while. In Hindi they are still making historical movies such as Taj Mahal and Asoka, once in a while. Tamil film industry has totally given it up after Nayakkar Magal and Ilangeswaran in the early to mid 80s.

AV
28th March 2005, 01:21 AM
It's so exciting to "discover" something that has been under your nose for quite a while. I am referring to the song "ek tatva naam" in the Hindi section, which I stumbled upon just now. It's a Marathi song, probably from a concert recording. The song is a Marathi abhang, written by Sant Dnyaneshwar, and is taken from the venerable saint poet's "Hari-paathh".

The Hari-paathh is an adjoiner to the Dnyaneshwari, which is considered till today to be the crowning glory of Marathi literature. As is well-known, the Dnyaneshwari is a lucid re-interpretation of the Geeta, written in the people's language (Marathi as opposed to Sanskrit) and for the common man. It was written by Sant Dnyaneshwar when he was in his early twenties (!!). Thereafter, it is believed that he attained samaadhi. Dyaneshwar's work has inspired Marathi saint-poets for centuries to come.

Dnyaneshwar's work has been translated into every language in the world. Even today, people from all over the world earn doctoral degrees on studying the nuances of just a few chapter's of the epic, at a time. The Hari-paathh was essentially an adjoiner to Dyaneshwar's work.

Coming back to the song, VJ's rendering is awesome. The song is long and quite difficult. I wonder who has set it to tune (my guess is Jitendra Abhisheki, but that's just a guess).

"ek tatva naam drudhh-dhari manaa, harichi karuNaa.....".

VJ stretches the word "karuNaa" and her breath control is amazing, right from the beginning to the end. The end of each stanza has small but very intricate taans and alaaps, and VJ just dazzles. I am just wondering how this song has never been discussed so far :-).

The complete lyrics of the song can be read from here (in Devanagari script): (abhang # 26)

http://www.tukaram.com/pages/haripath.asp

Another highlight of the song is stanza #4.

"dnyanadevaa mauna, mauna, japa maaLa antari...".

Listen to the steadiness of VJ's voice on the word "mauna.." followed by a graceful dive onto a very low note. And then, listen to the sudden glide to high notes, followed by a quick return to the middle octave. It's like a short sinusoidal pulse: a trough,a crest and back to DC :-). It's simply ethereal!

Naaz, can you please find out who the composer of this song is? I am curious to know.

Naaz
28th March 2005, 01:54 AM
AV -

That was a very informative bit on the saint poet and his sway over the Marathas. Thank you for that short (but detailed) context to the song. It is precisely this kind of sharing that is priceless!

There are three reasons why I refrain (with a few exceptions) from discussing VJs Hindi/Marathi/Urdu songs in this forum:
a. This portal is devoted to TFM and I try my best to keep that context in mind.
b. Not too many posters are familiar with these languages and such a focus could be counterproductive.
c. I am not an expert in any of these languages and my knowledge of Saints (and their verses) is limited, bordering on negligible.

But I am glad that you discovered Ek Tatva Naam. It is a recording of a Live Concert in London (mid 90s). I believe the "album" version of this song was composed by Raghunaath Seth ( I am more or less certain.) There's another song in the same concert which is a big draw every time on the radio show: Sumiran Karle Mere Manaa
My sikh/punjabi bretheren in this town never fail to call me when this bhajan is played - they are so effusive in their gratitude!
Similarly, there is another song O Ri O Baansuri where VJ works the long and awesome pull of the Baansuri in her vocals (Baani wahi sunaadhe bansi) - and the ambient effect is...ek shabdh mein - swarg!

I will be glad to discuss these Bhajans if there was an equal rejoinder/sharing possibility in these parts. However, I wouldn't want to force feed others these little miracles of music and voice...the interest has to be genuine and voluntary. I will hold back 'til then.

The next time I get a chance to speak to VJ (maybe around tamil new year's day) I will ask her for a few more details on her work with JA and UM. If she can provide a few vital clues, you might be able to track these tracks, no problem? 8)

Roshan
28th March 2005, 03:03 PM
Too bad I'm late to this thread ! :cry:

Vaani is my all time favourite !! Great singer she is !! :D I would just like to mention some of my all time favourites of VJ.

1. naanE naanA yaarO thaanA - ahagE unnai aarathikkiREn
2. pongum kadalOsai - meenave naNban
3. kuRinji malaril vadintha rasathai - azhagE unnai aarathikkiREn
4. antha maanai paarungaL azhagu - anthamaan kaadhali
5. ninaivaalE silai saythu - anthamaan kaadhali
6. thirumaaLin thirumaarbil sridEvi mugamE - thirisoolam
7. orE naaL unnai naan - iLamai oonjal aadugiRathu
8. malligai en mannan mayangum - dheerkka sumangaLi
9 malai raaNi munthaanai - orE vaanam orE boomi
10 baarathi kaNNamma neeyadi chinnammA - ninaithaalE inikkum
11 nAnA paaduvathu nAnA - nool vEli

madhu
28th March 2005, 10:16 PM
Hi..

Long long ago... there was a program in DD-1 (Tamil)...may be on Pongal or New year.....

Vairamuthu's songs by different artists..

Those songs came in the film "ROJA" with differnet tunes and changed lyrics (in between).

One song.. "chinna chinna AsaigaL.. nenjil sErthu vaitha AsaigaL..
solla solla nenjil mella sugam vaLarkum AsaigaL".. and..

I think Jayachandran and Vani Jayaram sing for "Kannukku mai azhagu.. kavidhaikku poi azhagu".. Of course.. not in ARR's tune..

Does anybody remember this nigazhchi ?

Naaz
29th March 2005, 09:19 AM
Madhu -

I recall the programme. The Kannukku Mai Azhagu song is a duet with VJ-PJC and begins as "Azhagu, Azhagu, Azhagu..."
I also recall MSV singing a song (with Vairamuthu beside him) which went (more or less) "Thai Nilam Thandha Varam, Thaavaram......" yeah?
Chinna Chinna Aasaigal was sung by PS.

I had forgotten these MSV originals! Thanks for jogging my ever-in-need-of-a-jog memory! :)

Neel D
30th March 2005, 08:17 PM
http://www.manoramaonline.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=manorama/MmArticle/CommonFullStory&c=MmArticle&channel=Home&cid=1111820930706

Neel D
1st April 2005, 08:24 PM
All,
It is the 1st of the month. Vaamanan continues his series on VJ. It includes a list of Hindi songs she sang in 1974.

Naaz
2nd April 2005, 01:05 AM
Neel D -

I just read the new instalment. Vamaanan's take on Ezhu Swarangalukkul is packed with grace and thought. Very rare in mainstream writing these days. I was also thrilled to discover that he likes Amudha Tamizhlil - one of MSVs finest moments with VJ-PJC.
There is a lot of detail in V's writing, and I am sure I will read the piece a few more times. Thanks for the prompt!

Neel D
3rd April 2005, 12:46 AM
Naaz,
Vaamanan points out an important aspect in VJ's singing, the self-confidence that she has exhibited from her very first song. If you dig out the renditions of most other singers from their initial years of playback singing you can easily see the difference between theirs and VJ's. Just like how VJ can hit a high note at the very beginning of a line without having to climb up to the note, like in vasanthakAla nadhigaLilE, ennai maRandhAyA, and many many more.

Naaz
3rd April 2005, 11:57 PM
Neel D -

A discerning listener downloaded the conversation/radio program from the website and wrote me this letter. I am giving you just a snippet from it:

"Meanwhile, I see that your radio show came and went, and the VJ show finally hit the airwaves. I've just downloaded the files from the VJ website, and savoured the pleasure of listening to yet another remarkable VJ radio show. I heard "Shree Gananaatham" (on repeat mode for about 10 times) after what seems like an eternity, and in the stillness of the night with just the a/c drone for company, words fail to explain its remarkable impact. Distlled perfection, dewdrop purity.. Classic, ethereal...

Let me also wager that she will never find a better informed and nuanced interviewer with an aesthetic sensibility that so closely matches hers than you. Very well done, my friend! You made us proud. "

The biggest thanks is to VJ and to the VJ website for making this conversation available to the world at large. Thank you, Neel D.

---------

Vaamanan zeros in on VJ authortitative grasp and self-awareness when it comes to her music. As I said, he is a truly nuanced and perceptive writer. I look forward to many more of his insights.

Confidence, Clarity, Colour, Class: The 4 Cs that VJ offers in every song. I am sure Vaamanan will give us a worthy list and an equally engrossing exegesis about the songs/context.

hehehewalrus
4th April 2005, 08:51 AM
Is Thaai Nilam Thandha Varam Thaavaram originally on TV sung by MSV?

Santosha
5th April 2005, 12:40 PM
AV (R?)

There had been a posting by you some time ago that you are mainly interested in the classical based songs rendered by the vocal artist of seemingly unlimited capabilities -- SPB.

If it is true, let me know your email address.

hummer
7th April 2005, 02:08 AM
my fav singer is Janaki. However, there are 2 songs of Vani Jeyaram I love..they are 'Yaaradhu sollamal nenjalli ponadhu' and 'megame megame paal nila theyudhe'...real haunting songs!

SN23
11th April 2005, 10:30 AM
Hi, did you watch the ragamaligai program in Jaya TV yesterday? It was semi-final, i guess, judged by VJ. I watched it from 2nd round only. VJ joined the singer participant and sang duet. With females, she sang Malligai mullai poopandhal & Malligai en mannan mayangum. With males, she sang Indarikku en inda anandhame & Anbu mehame. She really has the sweet voice and high potential even to continue singing in films. At the end, she concluded teh program with pongum kadalosai. It was superb.

Santosha
11th April 2005, 11:38 AM
AV,
No response??

gragavan
12th April 2005, 07:51 PM
Even I started watching the program from the second round. It is a nice treat.

VJ sang "Pongum Kadalosai" while concluding the program. that was class.

regards,
Ragavan

Neel D
13th April 2005, 07:17 PM
All,

Vani Jairam's music program on Chennai TV at 12:05pm on Tamil New Year's day (source:Dinakaran). Please do not miss.

Naaz
14th April 2005, 08:22 PM
It would be nice if somebody could write a review/coda to the programme for those of us who are this side of the Arabi Kadal :)

Naaz
16th April 2005, 10:07 PM
Has there been another instalment from Vaamanan, Neel D? I am having font problems (so what's new??) and can't read the gibberish that my screen throws up when I access the CE site. Could you please post a gist - or a detailed summary - of his recent write-up? TIA :)

Neel D
17th April 2005, 01:12 AM
Yes, there is. I announced it at the egroup. In this instalment Vaamanan talks about Kavingar Kannadasan's admiration for VJ and then about a whole bunch of songs. Here is a quick translation of the part involving Kannadasan.

--- Start transaltion

In the second half of the 1970s, Kannadasan wrote a weekly series titled "Intha Vaaram Santhithen" (I met this week). He wrote about Vani Jairam in that series. Here are some highlights from his writeup.

* Vani Jairam possesses a unique voice like the voices of P.Bhanumathi, S.Varalakshmi and Suryakumari.
* There is a familial comfort in VJ's voice. Even though she sings Cabaret songs so beautifully, it feels like that it is not a genre meant for her voice.
* Because of her formal training in music, when she sings a modest Carnatic tune it is a great pleasure to listen to. That is what makes me forget myself whenever I hear "Ezhu Swarangalukkul".
* VJ's interest in reading books and poetry is what makes her understand and feel whatever she is singing.
* If the Music Director sings the tune two times VJ is ready for the Take. Karpoora Buddhi.

Combined with all of the above qualities her affection, humility, modesty and simplicity made Kanndasan to take a liking for VJ immediately. VJ reminded him of a close relative to him. This is what is called "Purva Jenma Bandham".

--- End transaltion

Vaamanan then goes on to talk about the following songs:
Tamil Vendhan Pandiyanin Angam
Varuvaan Vadivelan
Sugamana Ragangale
Nadhamenun Kovilile
Sarigamapadani enum sabdaswara
Muthamizil Paada Vanthen
Kalaimagal Uravum
Gowrimanohariyai Kanden
Abhinaya sundari
Kannil Vanthaai
Neerada Neram
Megame Megame
Thumbaippu Mugathil
Amma Unthan Kaivalai
Ennullil Engo
Naane Naana
Nitham Nitham
Kuruvikkaara Machane
Podhuvaa Aha Podhuvaa
Kaveri Pattinathu Kaliyamma
Pongum Kadalosai
Agayathil Thottil Katti
Veru Idam Thedi Povalo
Aanaa Kaanaa

Naaz
17th April 2005, 02:51 AM
Neel D -

Wow! Thanks for the quick comeback! Why the hell do I have this font prob every time I want to read a tamizh article? I have Murasu, Amudham, Whatever - all in the font file. I follow the instructions to the T. I change the code to User Specified...Virakkththi Thaan Michcham!! I'll give it a shot again this weekend and see if somebody up there is ready to smile on me!

I tried to call VJ for TNY, but the phone just kept ringing. She must be away on tour. Does Vaamanan mention a meeting with her?
The list of songs covered is excellent ( he mentions Kannil Vandhaai...that's a touchstone for his refined taste - a song I cherish, too!!) I have not heard Kaveri Pattinaththu Kaaliyamma. Endha Padam? MD Yaaru? I don't believe the website has this one...?

Regarding the KD piece on VJ - I have a copy of the article somewhere in my files. I'll rummage and send you a scanned version one of these days - you can upload it at the website. I also have a few other articles by Sivasankari, Vairamuthu and Vaasavan(??) on VJ in the same file (I think, but am not certain) - let me check and get back to you.

The VJ/Cabaret songs issue is an interesting one. While it may seem "cheap" when a singer like VJ renders a "record-dance" song, I believe it is more about the listener's image of the singer, and less about the song itself. Raaththiri Nilaavil, Thottavudan Dhegam (Nenjam?) Silirkkudhu, Oothikka Raja Raja, Idhu Rosaappoovu, Tharavaa Naan Tharavaa...among others are delivered with absolute finesse. These songs ought to be judged on their own merit, as comparisons with Ezhu Swarangallukkul, Sugamaana Raagangale, Naadhamenum, etc., are not only inappropriate, they are beside the point.

More after I have had a chance to read Vaamanan's views. Hope the Font Deivam obliges soon. :)

Neel D
17th April 2005, 08:24 PM
Naaz,

I don't like the word "comeback". It is a "return". :-)

Vaamanan says that "Podhuva Aha Podhuva" and "Kaveri Pattinathu Kaliyamma" are both folk numbers from "Andha Raathirikku Saatchi Illai" composed by K.V.Mahadevan. The movie got good reviews but there was some conspiracy theory about why the movie did not do well commercially.
"Kannil Vanthaai" is from the movie "Lottery Ticket" writes Vaamanan. Do you know who the composer is?

Naaz
17th April 2005, 09:26 PM
Neel D -

Return it is :)

Kannil Vandhaai Nenjil Nindraai Nee is from Lottery Ticket, indeed. The composer is L Vaithyanathan. Another fine solo by VJ from the same film is Aavaniyai Kondaada Vandhaan. This song is a long time quest - have not heard it since the film came out!

This Podhuva thing has sent me on a tizz. The way I recollect the song - or the refrain - is "Thodhuvaa Aahaa Thodhuvaa." Even the film I think it is from differs from Vaamanan's ARSI. In my memory, the film is Naan Naane Thaan (starring Vadivukkarasi, Vanitha Sri and Rajkumar (or) Rajeev) a remake of the Malayalam feature, Nyaan Nyaan Maathram. Some other lines from the first stanza (the opening escapes me) are "Muthu Malai Maele Mullap Poo Maalai, Mullap Poo Maalaiyile Moikkum Vandu Pola...Thodhuvaa Aahaa Thodhuvaa Aahaa Thodhuvaa Thodhuvaa Thodhuvaa." The MD is indeed KVM. I don't believe VJ had any song in ARSI (although the film had the lovely Valaiosaiyum Kaivalaiosaiyum, picturised on Sulakshana and Kapil Dev!)

I am surprised that Sonnadhu Pallikudhu Paaru and Aalaana Aalilaiyo are missing from the "folk" list. But that must be because they are duets?

Neel D
18th April 2005, 01:09 AM
Naaz,
Now I remember your mentioning that "Avaniyai" was from "Lottery Ticket" before. I like the slow-paced "Kannil Vanthai" more than the fast-paced "Avaniyai". But both are beautiful songs by LV.
Thoduvaa Vs Podhuvaa, Vaamanan could have made a typo. And may be it is not from ARSI, it just happend to be on the same line as "Kaveri Pattinathu" and ARSI, and I lumped them all together. There are many other stunning folk songs like "Ala marathukkili", "Agayam Mazai Pozinja", "Vachaalaam", etc. But Vaamanan mainly covered semi-classical songs and a few from other genre.

vel1970
30th May 2005, 02:56 PM
what happened? no posts?

Santosha
3rd June 2005, 10:30 AM
Neel,
The selection of songs in your website is very good.

Congratulations.

Neel D
4th June 2005, 06:11 PM
Thank you Santosha. I am glad you enjoyed the songs.

baroque
5th June 2005, 06:14 AM
Hello, please mention the web site for me to listen too!! :)

sathyakabali
5th June 2005, 07:34 PM
muthu muthu punnagaiyO
mottu vitta malligaiyO

SPB and VJ in Santhoshak kanavugal.
For MP3 version
http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24&start=60

madhu
5th June 2005, 10:36 PM
Some other lines from the first stanza (the opening escapes me) are "Muthu Malai Maele Mullap Poo Maalai, Mullap Poo Maalaiyile Moikkum Vandu Pola...Thodhuvaa Aahaa Thodhuvaa Aahaa Thodhuvaa Thodhuvaa Thodhuvaa."

Yes ! the film is "Nan nanethan" and the song goes like

"Kaya kurinji malai kaadellam maNakkum malai
Oyadha pani adikkum othai kallu muthu malai
muthu malai melE mullai poo mAlai
mullai poo maalaiyilE mudichittiyE vElai
thoduvA AhA thoduvA..AhA thoduvA thoduvA thoduvA"

this song is for Vanithasri....

Neel D
6th June 2005, 05:46 PM
sathyakabali,
Thanks for the rare song. It has been a very long time since I heard it last.

Santosha
19th July 2005, 11:01 AM
Neel,

Can you tell why Saravanan is no longer participating?

vel1970
19th July 2005, 01:36 PM
thooNilum iruppAr thurumbilum iruppAr. eththanai eththani AvathArangaL?

veNmai oLirum chandranAi, pongum santhoshamAi, Kiranga vaikkum madhuvAi, panmuga anniyanAi, kumaranAi, gnanam vaLarkkum saradhaiyAi, karthikeyanAi, thiru(malai)deivamAi… eththanai eththani vadivangaL avatharangaL

Naaz
19th July 2005, 08:09 PM
Santosha -

Saravanan is not coming back to this forum, I don't think. Deal with it :-)

Neel D -

Here's something that will thrill you to bits -
Now that IR's Oratorio is creating all the buzz, did you know that he has composed an authentic, home-grown, symphonic Oratorio - and the only one in his TFM ouvre - sung by VJ? :-)
I will write a longer piece on it sometime soon. May I borrow the song (with your permission) to share with the others here? Please let me know.

Naaz

Neel D
19th July 2005, 09:50 PM
Naaz,
That is interesting. Go ahead.

Santhosha,
I don't know.

Naaz
19th July 2005, 11:18 PM
Neel D -

Thanks for the green-light. I'll get working on it soon. Watch this space! :-)

njv
20th July 2005, 02:33 AM
Naaz

Write it soon man. Its killing me.

Naaz
20th July 2005, 03:59 AM
njv -

Hang in there!:)
I'll do my best to get the write-up done tonight/early tomorrow. I'll need Neel's help with the MP3 file, though.

Neel D -

While I was browsing the website today, I chanced on this song after many, many moons:
Vizhiye, Nalamaa? Unai Naan Kaetkiraen...
It is listed as a duet from Dhooraththu Pachchai. Yaar Nadichcha Padam? Eppa Vandhadhu? Any other details besides the singers/MD?
I assume it is one of VJ's later songs for IR?

SN23
20th July 2005, 10:30 AM
Naaz,

According to http://www.rakkamma.com/filmsongs.phtml?Bfilmid=674, the details are

Thooraththu pachchai - 1987

Music: IR

Songs are

1. Annantha maalai verenna velai (Krishna chander)
2. Ithu varaiyil muthal iravu (Krishna chander, Shailaja)
3. Theepangale (S.P.Balasubramaniyam)
4. Vizhiye nalamaa (Gangai amaran, Vani Jayaram)

I think the film was directed by Manobala, starring Karthik and Suhasini

Naaz
20th July 2005, 09:54 PM
SN23 -

Thank you for the additional details. Suhasini and Karthik? Aagaya Gangai Maadhiri Aiyyo Thaangale! Chiththiramaa?:-) Adhuvum Manobala Dhaane?
Did this film come after Punnagai Mannan? (I was under the impression that Kavithai Kelungal was VJs last song for IR? Am I wrong?)

Naaz
20th July 2005, 10:14 PM
[tscii:5d78453057]
For starters, a disclaimer.

I am not qualified in any significant way to talk about Indian and Western Classical Music systems with scholarly authority. What you read in the following paragraphs is an amalgam of my gleanings and readings over a period of time, plus my recent conversations with my WCM concert pianist neighbour. If there are any errors in my exegesis, they are my own. I’d greatly appreciate (and urge) the input of those better informed in this forum to correct/corroborate my thesis.

Oratorio is Opera without Roti, Kapada OR Makaan.

Let me explain:

When you think Opera (in classical terms specifically, although I regard our very own Therukooththu to be a folksy avatar of its fairer western cousin, but that’s a discussion for another day) you think Marriage of Figaro or Madama Butterfly or Carmen. Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, Bellini, Bizet…these are the stalwart practitioners of the form. Opera also brings to mind something grand, mounted on a (predictably) grandiose scale. The mind’s inner house fills with vaulting voices, a flurry of colours, a spate of searing and scorching emotions, and a chorus that is always, and always ready …
Love, Passion, Betrayal, Loss…These are the eternal operatic themes. All of it unapologetically human, and relentlessly romantic.
Opera, in essence, is an out and out populist (albeit classical) music form.

Oratorio, on the other hand, has no “physical” energy/movement (roti); it is devoid of colour that comes from costumes (kapada); and it inhabits a plain, boring space – a stage without sets (makaan). Sounds a bit drab, yeah? Well, that’s intentional.
The Oratorio belongs in a monastery. It is the spiritual twin of the “worldly/materialistic” Opera. The very term, Oratorio, suggests “a place for prayer”
This is not to say that there are no secular Oratorios. But in its conception, an Oratorio is decidedly religious.

Operas indulge human emotions. Oratorios aspire for spiritual revelations. While technically (in terms of scale, arrangement, composition, tone/movement) there is nary a difference between the two, thematically, they are absolute opposites. The Opera is Earth,the Oratorio is Sky. That the most celebrated Oratorio in WCM is Handel’s Messiah should give you a good sense of an Oratorio’s thematic preoccupations.

Here is a quick list of salient features:
a. Oratorios are chorus dependent. (Think monastery, hear Gregorian Chants.)
b. Oratorios are always composed with a soloist in mind (Duets are not allowed.)
c. Oratorios praise/depict scenes /events / actions from the lives of Prophets, Saints and (Pious) Mythic Heroes/Personages (The Messiah is all about the birth of Jesus Christ. Adi Shankarar would fit right in.)
d. The Oratorio places a lesser emphasis on emotion and a greater emphasis on cadence (the choric element, a plurality of voices joined in a singularity of tone. The solo lead voice provides the narrative, and the chorus the links therein.)
e. Repetition of notes, passages and sound patterns are integral to the Oratorio.

I have not heard Ilaiyaraaja’s (is this how he prefers his name spelled these days?) Symphonic Oratorio of Thiruvasagam in it’s entirety, and as such, I am not able to confirm how many of the above features are part of this exercise. I am sure that those who have heard the full work will elaborate. Please?

--------------------------------------------------------------
How could it be possible that a man, a musician, a genius who has explored and expanded the horizon and scope of tamizh film music beyond “ethnic” boundaries, left the Oratorio untouched and unused in his popular experiments for these many years?
I couldn’t accept that this could be.
Sounds tautological for sure, but that’s also symbolic of the loop I found myself in with this question.
There are many “symphonic” moments in IR's film compositions (Poonkadhave/ Nizhalgal and Sangeetha Megam/ Udhaya Geetham come to mind instantly)
The chorus has been his mainstay from Annakili (Adi Raakaayee Mookaayee) to Raja Paarvai (the opening bars of Andhi Mazhai) to Thalaianai Manthiram (Thondharavu Seiyadhe Thozhi) and beyond.
And Spirituality has become his “aura” from the moment “Janani, Janani” first hit the airwaves.
There had to be an Oratorio somewhere, a song with all the elements/features I’ve listed above, and it was only a matter of time -and finding it.

And I did.

Somewhere in the mid-80s there was a tamizh film that came and went, and I can say (happily) that nobody missed its greatness (it wasn’t!)
But, lo and behold, it had an impeccable Oratorio! Now bear in mind that this was a “cinematic” Oratorio with “commercial” flourishes. Nevertheless, it fulfilled all the requirements of an Oratorio in the Western Classical sense (all Kodambakkam, no Budapest!) And as is the case with most of IR’s compositions from the late-70s to mid-80s, this composition too had his experimental brilliance writ large all over the piece.

Rajarishi featured Sivaji Ganesan, Lakshmi, Prabhu and Nalini. The best thing in its favour (I am hard-pressed for positives about the film) was its distinction of being one of the few “mythologicals” with IR’s score (the only other one I can think of righaway is Bala Nagamma.) SG was the Rajarishi – Viswamitra, Lakshmi was Menaka (really!) Prabhu was Dushyant (lordy!) and Nalini, Shakuntala (ahem is all I can muster.)

Blessed are those who didn’t have to sit through this grotesquery (yours faithfully was cursed, noon-show, Sangam.)

And the Oratorio:

Azhagiya Kalai Nilave Endrum Vazhga Vazhgave.

Here’s the breakdown in Oratorio features:

The very first move is a cresendo, a symphonic element for sure.
Right after, the chorus takes on:

Karunai Kadale, Vazhga, Vazhga…
And ends with Vazhga Vazhga .
(Oratorios believe in Praise.)

The soloist follows:

Azhagiya Kalai Nilave Endrum Vazhga Vazhgave
Arul Mazhai Tharum Mugile Endrum Vazhga Vazhgave
Imaiya Malaippol Pugazhil Uyarnthaai
Unadhu Kodaiyaal, Manathil Nirainthaai
Nalam Peravae….

The chorus adds:
Kotram Vazhga, Kodiyum Vazhga, Kunangal Vazhga,
Vazhga Vazhga.

The pattern is established, and the repetitions follow.

The Oratorio praises a Saint/Holy Man - Viswamitra.

The chorus is the narrative link (the song begins and ends with choric voices.)

The soloist elucidates the good deeds and greatness of the Holy Man.

A sequence of notes/ repetition of sound patterns is accomplished by the swarasancharam that precedes the denouement.

If you see the sequence in the film, it is Opera.
If you only hear the song, it is Oratorio!

And, yes, it is “fusion.”
Traditional Karanatak music instruments are married in an inspired and evocative manner with their Western Classical counterparts.

The composition blows your mind - heavenward.
VJ’s rendition packs enough power to be considered an alternative energy source!

Feel the electricity here:

www.vanijairam.com

Solos / Page 8 / Second song from the Top.

(Yahoo does not allow free "public sharing" these days, so I am not able to offer a quick link here :(

[/tscii:5d78453057]

Neel D
21st July 2005, 06:41 AM
Naaz,

Thanks for the writeup and for locating the song among the thousands that IR has composed. It does meet all the requirements of a western Oratorio. Not that I am an expert, I am just going by your step-by-step analysis. Of course, those days so many great compositions came and went as they did not have/know all the means we have now to promote a song or an album. They depended mostly on AIR. At least "Maan Kanden Maan Kanden" from the same movie played on the radio for few months is a consolation. In any case, it is a great find by you. And of course, IR's choice of voice for this Oratorio is perfect.

I believe that the song sequence in the movie was a dance performance by Swarnamukhi. Incidentally she also danced for another VJ song in "Aayiram Kannudaiyaal". Few good things about Rajarishi are IR's music, VJ's songs and the young Nalini with her beautiful caribbean features.

Naaz
21st July 2005, 07:13 PM
Neel D -

Swarnamukhi, YES! That was the name I was looking for, but my memory kept presenting Yaamini Krishnamoorthi instead, and I knew she was not the dancer in this film...Thanks for lifting me out of this name (mind) game!:-)

Whenever I hear Azhagiya Kalainilave, I also hear another song in a slightly muted track in the back of my mind. It is also a song of praise, and a duet at that:
Neenga Nallaa Irukkonam Naadu Munnera, Indha Naatilulla Aezhaigalin Vazhvu Munnera...
Picturised on the immortal MGR, from the film Idhaya Kani!
I believe it was sung by LRE / Seergazhi Govindarajan? Kaettu Eththnaiyo Naalaachchu! But I still hum it to this day!
MSV lets the percussion rip in the concluding bits of the song...Abaaram!

Now let me go and delete the last line from my long post above. In hindsight, the optimism on my part seems completely misplaced! :-)

njv
21st July 2005, 07:55 PM
[tscii:b85cfb7560]

Feel the electricity here:

www.vanijairam.com

Solos / Page 8 / Second song from the Top.

(Yahoo does not allow free "public sharing" these days, so I am not able to offer a quick link here :(

[/tscii:b85cfb7560]
OMFG. Are you IR by any chance. If you are not, please introduce yourself to him. More than you, IR will enjoy talking to people like you. This is truly amazing. For all these years, I used to avoid listening to any Sivaji songs composed by IR (mainly because of TMS tone, its good, but too loud and could spoil your mood - sorry TMS fans, but its just my ears), but I probably need to listen to it so we know what he did in 70s and 80s. This is really great.

Naaz
21st July 2005, 09:30 PM
njv -

I am glad that the waiting didn't "kill" you!:-)
And thank you for your kind words.

I have heard one track from IR's opus, but if that sample is a touchstone for the rest of the album, I have a recommendation for you. I don't know your geographical location, but if you are somewhere in North America, I urge you to run and get your hands on a CD by Karen Young (Canadian Artiste) titled "Canticum Canticorum" It is a compilation of Religious and Secular Oratorios, produced with "medieval" authenticity. Something tells me that it will be a perfect companion (and point of comparison) for IR's Symphonic Oratorio of Thiruvasagam. Buy it - you'll be abundantly rewarded!
Email me at naaz99@yahoo.com and I will send you all the additional details!
Btw, what is OMFG?

app_engine
21st July 2005, 11:05 PM
Naaz, good write-up and a beautiful song.

Now, aquestion:
Is it proper for this site (that looks like an official site for VJ) to host MP3s...

njv
21st July 2005, 11:58 PM
njv -

I am glad that the waiting didn't "kill" you!:-)
And thank you for your kind words.

I have heard one track from IR's opus, but if that sample is a touchstone for the rest of the album, I have a recommendation for you. I don't know your geographical location, but if you are somewhere in North America, I urge you to run and get your hands on a CD by Karen Young (Canadian Artiste) titled "Canticum Canticorum" It is a compilation of Religious and Secular Oratorios, produced with "medieval" authenticity. Something tells me that it will be a perfect companion (and point of comparison) for IR's Symphonic Oratorio of Thiruvasagam. Buy it - you'll be abundantly rewarded!
Email me at naaz99@yahoo.com and I will send you all the additional details!
Btw, what is OMFG?

OMFG -> Oh My F...ing God. Sorry to insert F... , but this is what I felt when I read ur post.

I couldnt find Canticum Canticorum by Karen Young. I searched Amazon.com and google. Do u know where I can get the CD.

Naaz
22nd July 2005, 12:22 AM
app_engine -

Glad to hear that you liked the write-up and the song. Thanks!

Neel D is the best person to answer your question.

njv -

Let's make that "oh my fabulous god," shall we?!
Here's a link that might help you with the Karen Young CD:

http://www.musicstack.com/search/young,+karen

They have ONE copy in stock...get it fast!

SN23
22nd July 2005, 11:15 AM
Good writing naaz. I liked your narration.

Small correction in your later post. Neenga nalla irukkonum was sung by TMS, S.GovindaRajan and SJ (not LRE).

Naaz
22nd July 2005, 08:04 PM
SN23 -

Thank you for your appreciation!

And thank you also for the correction! I depend on posters like you to fill in my memory drop-outs! All I remember (I hope I am right about this...) about the Neenga Nallaa song is that it featured Vijayachandrika (or was it Udhayachandrika?) who was an "item" artiste in the 70s! :)

S.Balaji
26th July 2005, 07:03 PM
Dear Friends,

Can I have the thread for :

Kurinji malaril vazindha rasathai uriya thudikum udhadu irukka -

Lovely song from Azagay unnai aaradhikiren

VJ and SPB sang this song.

Can I have the thread please ?

Neel D
27th July 2005, 06:48 AM
Naaz,
VJ sang in IR's music for the film "Ponmana Chelvan". A breezy duet with Mano, "pUvAna Ettai thottu ponnAna ezuththAlE". I think this film was released sometime in the very late 80s.

app_engine,
No more mp3s.

S.Balaji,
You can contribute to the thread. I don't know if admin will allow you to have the thread :-)

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 10:49 AM
Naaz,
VJ sang in IR's music for the film "Ponmana Chelvan". A breezy duet with Mano, "pUvAna Ettai thottu ponnAna ezuththAlE". I think this film was released sometime in the very late 80s.

app_engine,
No more mp3s.

S.Balaji,
You can contribute to the thread. I don't know if admin will allow you to have the thread :-)

Friend,

I need the thread for - Kurinji malarin - song, I dont have

SN23
27th July 2005, 11:49 AM
Naaz, again one more correction :-) It was Rathna who danced for that neenga nalla irukkOnum song (not *chandrika). Rathna acted earlier in MGR film Enga Veettu Pillai (remember that famous PS/LRE'Malarukku Thendral Pagai AnAl).

saradhaa_sn
27th July 2005, 12:06 PM
Yes... SN23, It was Rathna danced in Idhayakkani first song.

She is the one who danced for "Naan maandhoppil nindrirundhen".... (TMS & LRE) in Enga veettu pillai.

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 12:21 PM
Hello,

What subsequently happened to Ratna. Why she did not appear for long after that.
I dont remember seeing her after EVP.

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 12:26 PM
I was wondering why Vani Jayaram , could not last for a longer duration ( in comparison with PS or SJ ) .
Yes, she lasted much longer but not compared to PS or SJ

Probably her voice could not fit to most of the actresses.

I think she sang more for Sripriya . Not much for Sridevi.

Again, IR used SJ more than anybody else.

And MSV used PS more than anybodyelse eventhough he gave more chances to VJ also.

Can anybody come out with an analysis on this

madhu
27th July 2005, 12:48 PM
Hello,

What subsequently happened to Ratna. Why she did not appear for long after that.
I dont remember seeing her after EVP.

Hi,

Rathna was the heroine of "Thozhilali" with MGR.( KRV is just like pickles..) But I dunno which one was first.. EVP or thozhilali ?

Naaz
27th July 2005, 06:55 PM
Rathnavin Rasigargalae, Manniyungal! :-) But what about VC/UC...any dirt? ;-)

S. Balaji -

Talk about Dhrishti...Had you asked for the Kurinji Malar song 7 days ago, you would have found it at the VJ website. But as of yesterday, all the songs from the site have been "disappeared" :cry:
Have you checked musicindiaonline?

Neel D -

Poovaana is an IR comp.? Didn't know that. PMC Satyaraj / Vijayakanth Padam-aa? Uchchi Malayil is also by VJ / Mano...Is this one by CB?

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 08:00 PM
Hello friends,

There is a song by TMS and VJ

Naal nalla naal , enuravil ezudum iniya kavidai inba then sindhum naal.

This was played by TMS ( for Jaishankar ) and VJ ( for Jaychitra ).

This is another nice song.

Wish to add to this list

Neel D
3rd August 2005, 07:19 PM
Naaz,

Poovaana is by IR. But I don't who composed Uchi Malaiyil. It is from the film KazhuguMalai Kallan. There is another IR song from the mid or late 80s, a Kaattuvaasi dance in the film "Eetti" with Vijaykant and Nalini. It is a duet - VJ&MVD.

S.Balaji
3rd August 2005, 07:52 PM
Naalai unadhu naal - Vijay kanth with ......

KJY and VJ - Vennilaa oduthu kannilay aadhuthu yenodu than paaduthu - it was a hit .

Music by the one and only IR

Naaz
4th August 2005, 08:34 PM
Neel D -

A Kaattuvaasi song from Aetti? I vaguely recall the film, but I don't know the song.
Another VJ/MVD song from Pozhudhu Vidinjaachchu - "Kaatre Sellu, Oru Kaadhal Thoodhu, Ival Yaengum Maadhu..." has been a long time quest. Nowhere on the net. I couldn't even find a tatty audio cassette of the film soundtrack (Kokkarako was available!) when I was back in Chennai last year. A soft and classy IR composition. Ditto for the Dhooram Athigamillai soundtrack.

S.Balaji -

Another fun solo by VJ from Naalai Unadhu Naal:
"Cheetu Kulukkudhu Cheetu Kulukudhu Lucky Prize-udhaan."

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 08:54 PM
Neel D -

S.Balaji -

Another fun solo by VJ from Naalai Unadhu Naal:
"Cheetu Kulukkudhu Cheetu Kulukudhu Lucky Prize-udhaan."

Naaz,

Thanks. There was another song - siva with Ambikaa.

Ragam thalam pallavi adhu kaadhal boopaalamay.... SPB with VJ. lovely song .... composed by Shankar ganesh... movie..... ??

nice song. was a hit those days...

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 09:01 PM
Some few months back....

VJ was the judge in Jaya tv programme being conducted by Vijay adhi raj....

Amazing.... the golden voice of VJ ... yesteryears..... still intact ... especially when she sang the song.......... anbu maygamay indru odivaaa.....

God's gift to TN music world.

Naaz
4th August 2005, 09:25 PM
S.Balaji -

The song is from Theerupugal Thiruththapadalaam. Yes, it is a fine composition by S-G. Very much like their "Romba Naalaaga Ennakoru Aasai" hit.

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 10:03 PM
[
quote="Naaz"]S.Balaji -

The song is from Theerupugal Thiruththapadalaam. Yes, it is a fine composition by S-G. Very much like their "Romba Naalaaga Ennakoru Aasai" hit.[/quote]

Naaz.

Thanks. yes, its from that movie only

saradhaa_sn
5th August 2005, 12:22 PM
Some few months back....

VJ was the judge in Jaya tv programme being conducted by Vijay adhi raj....

Amazing.... the golden voice of VJ ... yesteryears..... still intact ... especially when she sang the song.......... anbu maygamay indru odivaaa.....

God's gift to TN music world.

Dear Balaji...

Yes I also watched that programme 'Raaga Maaliga' which VJ participated. She was very polite, she gave some hints for voice modulation for the participants and requested to follow.

She sung the song "Yezhu swarangagalukkul" in the starting and another song in the middle, what you mentioned "Anbu Megamey ingu odivaa" from Engamma Sabatham (Music by Vijaya Basker).

I heared another sad news that Vani Jayaram decided not to sing film songs anymore, but only devotional. Recently Music Director S.A.Rajkumar approached for a new song, but she refused. Is this news true....????. (I wish, it must not be true).

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 12:30 PM
Hello Sharadhajii,

It was a great opportunity to youngsters to sing along with stars of yester years and VJ was unique. Basically, she also had the carnatic base which helped her to finetune her skills.

No idea about VJ - SAR news .

But its amazing the golden voice is still intact ...

I could see the same stuff with SJ as well.

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 12:33 PM
Sharadhajii,

It was also interesting to note he tips to thse participants on how release the breath.... where to give gap .... where to maintain the continuity etc etc. were quite wonderful stuff.
After all she is a master .

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 12:35 PM
Hello.

On voice matching ... VJ with cinestars..... probably... Sripriya fitted in well compared to others..... Or Lata probably.

Not sure.....

Any analysis made on this earlier ???

For PS ... one can give a big list...

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 01:30 PM
Did Vijaya Baskar compose for Thappu thaalangal.... Its KBs ??

Wonder why he chose VB suddenly ??

By the way,,, where is VB now ??

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 01:32 PM
I found one shortcoming with VJ ??

I didnt find her coming out with good numbers on folk or village type songs..... More of a traditional type like KJY...

Especially one song.. .which I feel she could have avoided....

Muthu mala mela mullapoo maala......... etc etc... Dont remember the movie and song.... but was analysed threadbare during those days and was severely criticised.

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 01:35 PM
Ok... there was one song....

Aala marathu kileee, aala paarthu pesum kilee..

Probably Shankar Ganesh....

Other than that I dont remember any VJ hit of village type songs.

yvsmani
5th August 2005, 01:38 PM
was listening to vaasam veesum vaana cholai from poo poova poothirukku today morning after a long gap.

"aananthathin ellaikku naan sendren" - intha vaarthaigalai VJ paada ketkum pothu, really, manasukkul Etho anandam adaivathu pola thaan irukku - such is her uchcharippu and baavam and voice

yvsmani
5th August 2005, 01:41 PM
s.balaji :
village type of song : immediately i could think of "ival devathai idhazh maadhulai" by shyam

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 01:49 PM
[
quote="yvsmani"]s.balaji :
village type of song : immediately i could think of "ival devathai idhazh maadhulai" by shyam[/quote]

I think it was composed by Shyam ........ SPB with VJ....

saradhaa_sn
5th August 2005, 02:27 PM
Did Vijaya Baskar compose for Thappu thaalangal.... Its KBs ??

Wonder why he chose VB suddenly ??

By the way,,, where is VB now ??

Yes Balaji...

KB's 'Thappu Thaalangal' was composed by Vijaya Basker, who composed more for VCGughanathan's films (like Petha manam piththu, Kanimuthu papa, Engamma Sabatham etc...

But he is no more with us. We lost him about 18 months before.

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 02:40 PM
Yes Balaji...

KB's 'Thappu Thaalangal' was composed by Vijaya Basker, who composed more for VCGughanathan's films (like Petha manam piththu, Kanimuthu papa, Engamma Sabatham etc...

But he is no more with us. We lost him about 18 months before.

Sad to hear the news about VB...

I remember the song.... Thappu thaalangal vazi thavariya padhangal..... evar ippadi vaazvadhena avar ezudhiya kolangal...

But I still wonder how KB chose VB ....

By the way,,,, Yaarukku yaar sondham naan sollavaa... enakendrum neeyay sondham maalai soodavaaa. - Song from maalai sudava.... Kamal.... and KJY.....

Lovely song...... especially the words.....
kalyana melam ketkum naal endha naalo.... katcheri ragam paadum pozudhenaa pozudhu..
Mudhal mudhal paaka thondrum eravenna eravo....

Is it VB or probably V.Kumar ?/

saradhaa_sn
5th August 2005, 02:43 PM
Hello.
On voice matching ... VJ with cinestars..... probably... Sripriya fitted in well compared to others..... Or Lata probably.
Not sure.....
Any analysis made on this earlier ???
For PS ... one can give a big list...

Correct Balaji. VJ's voice very suitable for Sripriya. When she was acting for the songs "Orey Jeevan Onre Ulaam" (neeya), and "Nee kettaal naan maatten endraa solven kanna" (Ilamai oonjaladukirathu), we can see Sripriya singing herself. Such a coincidence, like TMS for Shivaji, SPB for Kamal, Malaysia vasudevan for Rajini, SCKrishnan for Thangavelu...etc.

Same Latha also (example all songs in Azhagey Unnai Aarathikkiren).

We can add Sujatha also who match with VJ (many songs like :"Andha maanai paarungal azhagu")

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 02:56 PM
[Correct Balaji. VJ's voice very suitable for Sripriya. When she was acting for the songs "Orey Jeevan Onre Ulaam" (neeya), and "Nee kettaal naan maatten endraa solven kanna" (Ilamai oonjaladukirathu), we can see Sripriya singing herself.

VJ was perfect for Sripriya..

Such a coincidence, like TMS for Shivaji, SPB for Kamal, Malaysia vasudevan for Rajini, SCKrishnan for Thangavelu...etc.

Perfect match.... Also add A.L.Raghavan for Nagesh.....
SCKwas perfect match for TVelu..

Same Latha also (example all songs in Azhagey Unnai Aarathikkiren).

yes yes... especially for Yen kalyana vaibogam unnodu thann....

We can add Sujatha also who match with VJ (many songs like :"Andha maanai paarungal azhagu")[/quote]

Almost ok... Also, ayya un ninaivedhan naapadum raagangal... ninaivaalay silaseidhu.

Somehow, I feel for Sujatha .. PS was a better match..

Especially... songs from Annakili....

Sugamo aayiram.... uravaadum nenjam

Songs from Poondhalir.

Naaz
5th August 2005, 08:52 PM
S. Balaji / saradhaa_sn
That's an interesting list of songs. But you've missed a few more good ones that showcase VJs "rural" reign:

Manjal Arraikkum Bodhu ( Aalukkoru Aasai - IR) Pattule Sela (Pannappuraththu Paandavargal - GA) Kalyana Melangalae (Nellikkani S-G) Machchaane Achchaaram Podu ( Paalabishekam S-G) Niththam Niththam Nellu Choru (IR- Mullum Malarum) Vellikkizhame Vidikaale (Maanthoppu Kili S-G) Ponne Bhoomiyadi (Manitharil Iththanai Nirangalaa? Shyam) Machchanai Paaradi (Thangamagan IR) Vachchaalaam Neththippottu (Kunkumachimzh IR) Maasimaasa Kadaisiyile (Pallaandu Vazhga KVM) Karisal Tharisu (Achchamillai Achchamillai VSNarasimhan)...and many more.

Sugamo Aayiram is an IR-PS classic from Thunaiiruppaal Meenatchi.
Sugam Aayiram En Ninaivile is a VB-VJ classic from Mayagugiraal Oru Maadhu.

S.Balaji
5th August 2005, 09:26 PM
S. Balaji / saradhaa_sn
That's an interesting list of songs. But you've missed a few more good ones that showcase VJs "rural" reign:

Manjal Arraikkum Bodhu ( Aalukkoru Aasai - IR) Pattule Sela (Pannappuraththu Paandavargal - GA) Kalyana Melangalae (Nellikkani S-G) Machchaane Achchaaram Podu ( Paalabishekam S-G) Niththam Niththam Nellu Choru (IR- Mullum Malarum) Vellikkizhame Vidikaale (Maanthoppu Kili S-G) Ponne Bhoomiyadi (Manitharil Iththanai Nirangalaa? Shyam) Machchanai Paaradi (Thangamagan IR) Vachchaalaam Neththippottu (Kunkumachimzh IR) Maasimaasa Kadaisiyile (Pallaandu Vazhga KVM) Karisal Tharisu (Achchamillai Achchamillai VSNarasimhan)...and many more.

Sugamo Aayiram is an IR-PS classic from Thunaiiruppaal Meenatchi.
Sugam Aayiram En Ninaivile is a VB-VJ classic from Mayagugiraal Oru Maadhu.

Naaz,

You are pucca , harcore VJ fan I think.. Complete data on hand.

Hats off.

Sugam aayiram.. was a nice one... a mild and different song.. Sujatha ...

Naaz
5th August 2005, 11:01 PM
S.Balaji -

I am a hardcore "fan" of singers and composers who are "originials" with an unique, clear, and formal/authentic style. VJ is one among them.
If a random list of songs makes you think of me as "pucca," I recommend you read a chronological exploration of VJs songs by the film historian, Mr. Saravanan. It is a beautifully written series with many invaluable details and insights, now available to all at www.vanijairam.com
That will tell you how 'kachcha" my knowledge of VJs songs truly is!
Thanks for the "Hats-Off" though! :)

S.Balaji
6th August 2005, 10:37 AM
S.Balaji -

I am a hardcore "fan" of singers and composers who are "originials" with an unique, clear, and formal/authentic style. VJ is one among them.
If a random list of songs makes you think of me as "pucca," I recommend you read a chronological exploration of VJs songs by the film historian, Mr. Saravanan. It is a beautifully written series with many invaluable details and insights, now available to all at www.vanijairam.com
That will tell you how 'kachcha" my knowledge of VJs songs truly is!
Thanks for the "Hats-Off" though! :)

Naaz,

Thanks ... went through the site... Its nice.. Great to hear that there are still some around to recognise the greats of yesteryears.
Continue the good work

saradhaa_sn
6th August 2005, 11:32 AM
Naaz....

Good list, but still I have a doubt...

the song you mentioned, "Machaanai paaradi" from Thanga magan.
Is it Vani or S.P.Shailaja...???.

S.Balaji
6th August 2005, 11:45 AM
Naaz....

Good list, but still I have a doubt...

the song you mentioned, "Machaanai paaradi" from Thanga magan.
Is it Vani or S.P.Shailaja...???.

I think its from SPS only........

S.Balaji
6th August 2005, 02:02 PM
VJ with SPB......... Romba naalaga enakoru aasai......... Shankar Ganesh ....

Lovely melodius song........

One can identify Shankar Ganesh composition through the trible congo beat they used quite frequently and this one is also known for that.

It will be similar to ... Naan kattil melay kanden venilaa..

S.Balaji
6th August 2005, 02:25 PM
One Shivaji ... with Manjula .... movie..

Malligai mullai poopandhal.... maragadha maanikka ponunjal....

VJ special............... Its a high pitch song but was sung with ease and grace by VJ..

Great song.

saradhaa_sn
6th August 2005, 03:28 PM
Dear Balaji.....

That song "Malligai mullai poopandhal" is from Anbey Aaruyirey by MSV. The full version of that song is already here in the previous pages of this thread.

Another good number: "Neeraada neram nalla neram".... long melody by MSV in 'Vaira Nenjam'.

S.Balaji
6th August 2005, 03:50 PM
Dear Saradhajii,

Thanks for the info..

There is another song.. Kanna un radhai azaikindradhu... great one from VJ. In the late 70s......

Unable to recollect.......

madhu
6th August 2005, 04:31 PM
Hi..

there is a beautiful song by VJ in Deviyin thirumaNam.
"ammaadi konja neram konja vENdum Odi vA"
though the film or the song is not very popular..
if u hear this song once, u will find the variety in her voice...!!

Naaz
6th August 2005, 07:12 PM
S.Balaji / saradhaa_sn -

Machchaane Paaradi is by SJ-VJ.
Click on the link below to listen:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/s

Kanna Un Raadhai Azhaikkindra Vaelai
Unakkenna Vaelai
Nee Thandhu Naan Vazhgindraen

VJ solo from Chinna Chinna Veedu Katti. MD: S-G
Another "rural" song from the same film is:
Naakula Mookula Naththu Bullaakula (great pace and rendition by VJ-MVD)

madhu -

Ammaadi Konja Naeram is another of those fine songs that is not familiar to many TFM listeners.
For every Azhagae-this and Megame-that by VJ (classics, no doubt) there are a host of solos that are superb, but never quite found the airtime/recognition.
Tharavaa Naan Tharavaa, Mazhaikkala Megam Neer Kondu Vandhu, Indru Varum Kaatrinile Enna Visaesham, Saramsaramaai Shenbagapoo, Gokula Kannan Nee Endru, Ennedru Solvaenadi, Ungal Paadhaththil Indha Naeraththil...
All of the above were just as rich in bhaavam and nuance as the other celebrated solos.
Thanks for bringing Ammaadi Konja Naeram to the fore; you are a discerning listener! :)

S.Balaji
7th August 2005, 02:36 PM
Naaz,

Thanks for the source for the song --- Kanna un Radhai azaikinradhu.. Its one of my VJ favourites..

Thanks again for mentioning about .. Naakula mukulaa song ... I saw a programme n Doordharshan .. where Ganesh was explaining about the rhythm of that song...
Nee ilaamalay eni en vaayvilay .. oru thirunaalayum ... etc.

Not sure whether these songs are known :

1. Illam sangeetham... - With SPB
2. Maargayee pookalay - With TL Magarajan

saradhaa_sn
7th August 2005, 06:05 PM
Not sure whether these songs are known :

1. Illam sangeetham... - With SPB
2. Maargayee pookalay - With TL Magarajan

Dear Balaji....

Both these songs from 'Avan, Aval, Adhu' by MSV. (Sivakumar, Laxmi, Sripriya).

S.Balaji
7th August 2005, 10:36 PM
Hello Sharadhajii,

One lovely song of VJ with SPB....

SAPTHASWARAM PUNAGAYIL KANDEN..... SANGEETHATHIN THALLATAI KETEN.....

It was composed by V.Kumar the great in I think...

VJ was at her best in that song..... especially as she ends the song..

Veezee jaalathil uruvaanadhooo

I can write an essay on this song !!

saradhaa_sn
8th August 2005, 11:11 AM
Yes Balaji...

I also heared that song many times, but not sure whose music it is.

But there is a similar song in Shivaji's 'Raththa Paasam' movie by MSV:

"Poo manakkum ... poonguzhali.... Poojai dhevadhaiyo".... in the honey voice of SPB.

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 11:19 AM
Yes Balaji...

I also heared that song many times, but not sure whose music it is.

But there is a similar song in Shivaji's 'Raththa Paasam' movie by MSV:

"Poo manakkum ... poonguzhali.... Poojai dhevadhaiyo".... in the honey voice of SPB.

In rathapasam...... There are 2 more songs.....

1. Maankutti ipodhu enveetilayyy........ Poor TMS was past his best but tried his best !! nice song
2. En ullam engira vaanathilay.... TMS with PS

Probably the last of the nice songs of TMS ...... This came in 1980 I am not sure....

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 11:22 AM
In the song... Maargayeee pookalay...( avan aval adhu )

En manadhai kollai konda idammm.......

PILLAI VADIVAAGA ORU THOODHAN VANDHAAAN....ENRU PUDHU VAAZVU SUGAMO SUGAM.........

Lovely voice modulation by VJ here.

One can give aayiram porkaasugal idharkuuu

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 01:40 PM
There is another nice song of VJ from Noolveli... by KB.

Naana paaduvadhu naanaa..... naanum elavayadhu maanaaa.

Composed by MSV.

with SPB.... nice one to remember........

VJ's unique style... in this song as well..

Naaz
8th August 2005, 06:39 PM
S. Balaji / saradhaa_sn -

Sapthaswaram Punnagaiyil Kandaen is from Natakame Ulagam, composed by V.Kumar.

Naana Paaduvadhu Naana is a popular VJ-SPB duet. I, however, like Veenai Sirippu more. VJ's entry in this duet - Vizhiorangal Kathai Paesumo...is scintillating.

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 07:04 PM
S. Balaji / saradhaa_sn -

Sapthaswaram Punnagaiyil Kandaen is from Natakame Ulagam, composed by V.Kumar.

Naana Paaduvadhu Naana is a popular VJ-SPB duet. I, however, like Veenai Sirippu more. VJ's entry in this duet - Vizhiorangal Kathai Paesumo...is scintillating.

Thanks Naaz for the source of Sapthaswaram song....

There is another song in Nool veli... by Dr. Balamurali Krishna..

Maunathil vilayaadum manasaatchiyay.. nice one.

S.Balaji
9th August 2005, 05:16 PM
Another lovely song of VJ .. this time with JC...

Thanks Madhu . I took it from Madhu out of his posting on JC's songs.

THIRUMURUGAN ARUGINILAY VALEE KURATHEE.

Vijay kumar with Sripriya.... Again it proves that VJ's voice fits in well with Sripriya...

The best part of the song I enjoy is the words ....

Adikadi pakkam vandhal aagadhu kanna naanangal undu naan konda penmai adhuthanay.. !!!

Here VJ Thenai kuyaithu tharuvaar thannudaya amudha kuralil

S.Balaji
9th August 2005, 05:27 PM
There is another lovely song in Thee.... Ammavukku vayasirukku..

VJ with JC for Suman and Sripriya.

Another song which VJ sang for Sripriya....

I love the words :

Enakkum aasai adhigam aaanal naanam vidavillyay .....

Eravay podhum pagalay vendaam inbam adhudhan iyaa.....

I wonder ....

Eppadi than VJ evalavu azagaaga paadugiraro !

Kadavul thantha vara prasadam dhan.....

Also thanks to MSV for pouring melody to all his songs....

saradhaa_sn
9th August 2005, 05:40 PM
Dear Balaji...

Another Vani Jayaram song for Sreepriya (with Malaysia Vasu):

"Iravum pagalum enakku un mel kannottam"... (by MSV) in 'Billa'

S.Balaji
9th August 2005, 05:45 PM
Dear Balaji...

Another Vani Jayaram song for Sreepriya (with Malaysia Vasu):

"Iravum pagalum enakku un mel kannottam"... (by MSV) in 'Billa'

Oh great !! nice pick... MSV will show his silken touches even in masala movies like Billa....

The song will start through VJ in her customary GANEER voice........

SOmehow I feel that MV was the most ideal singer for Rajini ??

S.Balaji
9th August 2005, 05:49 PM
There is another wonderful song from .... Cho's .... Mohammed Bin Tuglak....

Mayay kaalam varuginradhu... then malar kootam theriginradhu...

Ohh.. ketaal pularikum song...........

Manadhai negayavaikum......

Again the great VJ.....

It will be the starting song of the movie....

I wonder how MSV composed the tune for that song..... with Cho !!

S.Balaji
9th August 2005, 06:39 PM
[tscii:5b7630763a]Dear All,

Spare some minutes for crossing language and Tamilnadu… over to Andhra….

In the 70s.. Sankara baranam was the most famous movie … spoken and discussed at length for several years… created by the great K.Vishwanathgaru…..

It was a path breaking movie… Incomparable … a complete movie from all angles….

Camera was … by the great .. Balu Mahendra….

Music by the great .. K.V.M.

SPB…it was a crowning glory to his great career….

Yes.. now I am going to mention about VJ’s participation in that movie…..

VJ got national award for the song…. Manasa sanchararay……..

I have no words to describe the depth of that song……so poetic … so mild… with all VJ flavour….

Brochevaarevaruraaaa……. Another classical song by VJ with SPB…… here we can see the VJ special when she sings the words… Seethapathay naaphai neeabhimaanamuleka….

The ultimate one was….. Dhorakuna ethuvanti seva……. It will VJ VJ VJ totally in this song….. She will rule like a colossus in the second part of the song…. And the whole theatre will be in tears when she sings the words……….. Mahaanubhaaavaaaa……in high pitch and then bring it down in low pitch , the same.. .Mahanubhaavaaa..

It will be great if somebody shares with us how the singers were chosen for the various songs in that movie.. Interestingly.. I could not find PS singing any song in that movie.

I sincerely feel that if we are not mentioning this movie… it will be injustice to one of the greatest singers of our times…… the one and only VJ….

VJ’s career took a peak in that movie…

[/tscii:5b7630763a]

Naaz
10th August 2005, 01:51 AM
S.Balaji -

Your regard for VJ and her songs is laudatory. It is great to see you share your thoughts on some of VJs classics and forgotten solos with such unbridled enthusiasm. You are a true fan!

However, if you click on Page 1 of this discussion thread, you will notice that the appreciation of VJs songs at TFMpage started sometime in 1999. Since then, there has been a lot of quality sharing among DFers here. I urge you to take some time (two months leave might do it!) to go through the varied analyses in those pages (6 years of it!) to see how thoroughly VJs talent/singing/songs have been discussed by many well-informed and worthy posters. VJs songs in other languages besides tamizh have also been highlighted by the several discussants. I am certain that you will find it to be very rewarding. Please make the time for it!

S.Balaji
10th August 2005, 02:27 PM
Naaz,

Thanks.. Yes I will go through the earlier postings and analysis.. but 2 months !!. Who will pay pay my salaries !!??
In the midst of my office pressures and targets, I am somehow squeezing time and browse this elite TFM and post my views also...

Yes I feel now that I have missed lots of years of earlier TFM analysis... but even now its not too late...

I have been part of the golden period of 70s and 80s... and as age is catching up !! I have to bring out all my school day and college day events and songs to share ...

Let me go through the earlier analysis as well and enjoy what they had shared with us..

Best regards

yvsmani
10th August 2005, 03:07 PM
s.balaji ,
even in palaivana cholai megamae megamae songil......
enakku oru malar maalai nee ( oru chinna izhuvai) vaanga vendum, adhu etharkko (meendum oru izhuvai) - idhu pol eppadi thaan paadugiraaro

also in ilakkanam marutho from nizhal nijamagirathu
maraithidum thirai thanai viLakki vaippayo vilakki vaippayo - La, la uchcharippu pramatham - it portrays the meaning of the song, situation in its entirety. antha uccharippu thavari irunthaal antha songin arumai theriyamal poi irukkum. A good selection by MSV for that song.

S.Balaji
10th August 2005, 04:01 PM
also in ilakkanam marutho from nizhal nijamagirathu
maraithidum thirai thanai viLakki vaippayo vilakki vaippayo - La, la uchcharippu pramatham - it portrays the meaning of the song, situation in its entirety. antha uccharippu thavari irunthaal antha songin arumai theriyamal poi irukkum. A good selection by MSV for that song.

YVSM,

If you had seen the Jaya TV programme where VJ was the Judge... she was kind enough to give some invaluable tips to budding youngsters ... on how to hold one's breadth and when to release between songs.... How to maintain the continuity of the song so that the output will be perfect.... were all useful tips ...
Probably VJ's carnatic background also helped her in moulding her voice and what they call it as ... Kamakam and neraval.... We could hear those special effects from MLV those days which we got back through VJ in the 70s....
You had mentioned about Ilakkanam maarudho.... Yes VJ was always very particular and was dedicated to any song of hers...
Credit should equally go to KB as he was known for inserting a siuation based song in his earlier years....

saradhaa_sn
10th August 2005, 04:53 PM
Dear Balaji & VVSMani...

Instead of giving share to KB in 'Ilakkanam Maarutho' , please give share to MSV and Kannadasan, who created the song (particularly KD).

"En vaazhakai nadhiyil karai (small ra) onru kanden..
Un nenjil yetho karai (big ra) onru kanden...
puriyaathathaaley thirai pottu vaiththen..
thirai potta pothum anai pottathillai...

Maraiththidum thiraitahanai vilakki (small la) vaippaayo..
Vilakki (big ra) vaippaayo".......

Very nice prononciation, easily we can find the difference....

(But when I am thinking about this song, unnecessarily one latest song is coming to my mind, (I dont know why)
"Kaaththal pissaassu kaaththal pisssaasssu, yetho sowkyam parvaayilley"...)

S.Balaji
10th August 2005, 05:10 PM
Sharadhajii,

When you mentioned about Kadal pisaasu.... I feel sad for the younger lot as they are getting such a stuff only REGULARLY and pray God their mind dont get corrupt...
I thank Dingukkal Liyone also for unearthing such type of songs and exposing the lyric writers and the musicians in a very gentle way.

Naaz
10th August 2005, 07:33 PM
S.Balaji -

Your registration info has 8. July 2005 as the date you joined us here. A little over a month, and you have 670 posts to your credit! That's a record of sorts (admin. please confirm?)...move over, Lance? :D

Neel D -

Is Marudha Manjakkizhangae by VJ? I've been humming this ditty all of yesterday. Any details? How I love these loops! :D

hehehewalrus
11th August 2005, 03:42 AM
Balaji anna
you dont have to go through the pages online. Right click this link and "Save Target As"
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/justkool/tfm/vanijairam.zip

About 1 MB In size

S.Balaji
11th August 2005, 10:51 AM
Balaji anna
you dont have to go through the pages online. Right click this link and "Save Target As"
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/justkool/tfm/vanijairam.zip

About 1 MB In size

H3walrus,

Thanks for this . I saved it but when I tried to open it .. it comes out as corrupt file.... I have acrobat reader infact....

I also tried to open without saving it.. eventhen also its not opening.. Pl revert

S.Balaji
11th August 2005, 11:39 AM
[tscii:86a794701b]There was a song… Anbu thalaivan kaaladee chuvatil… onru kalandhaal enna thavaru….

Nalla manadhai sondhamaaki naamum kalandhaall enna thavaru…

Very melodious song…. VJ never compromised her commitment to any song. The same old voice was found in that song as well..

It was VJ with the great TMS… I don’t remember the movie but the actor’s name is Vijay Babu… He acted in few movies. Now I could see him in Chinnathirai… acting in elderly roles… I saw him in one serial called – Ambigai…..

Probably that was the last time TMS sang with VJ as it was in the 80s I think…

Also … I don’t remember TMS singing much afterwards… probably for one movie of Sathyaraj and Shivaji…. .. Edhu malarakku malar vidum azaippu…..

Sad thing about this song is… one of my good school day friends.. was a big fan of TMS.. used to sing this song for us…. But is no more now… But still cherish his memories through this song…

[/tscii:86a794701b]

Naaz
11th September 2005, 06:54 PM
Neel D -

In the VJ solo "Aththoram Kodiveedu" there is a male voice that recites the slokas...Yaaroda kural?
There is a LRE solo in 47 Naatkal. Which one? Help!
Also wondering if you have a songfile for "Idhu Undha Veetukkili Thaan" from Sankar Salim Simon...Do you?

Neel D
16th October 2005, 08:05 PM
Naaz,
Here is my timely reply :-)
Male voice in AththOram - don't know.
LRE solo in 47 nAtkaL - don't know.
ithu unthan vIttu kiLithAn - don't have it.
Now you know the reason for the late reply. Sorry!

sathyakabali
17th October 2005, 02:10 AM
Hi Naaz and Neel

The male voice in "AththOram kodi veedu" who recites the slokas is State bank Krishnan. That was his first song.

LRE solo in 47 naatkaL "ivaL unai ninaiththapOthE adakkuvaaLayyA"

Regarding the song "ithu unthan veettu kiLithaan" my favorite VJ song - I bought the VCD. I will see and listen to the quality of the song and let you know!

Neel D
17th October 2005, 08:24 AM
Hi Sathyakabali,
Thank you very much for the details.

thumburu
17th October 2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Sathyakabali, Iam sure " "ivaL unai ninaiththapOthE adakkuvaaLayyA" FROM 4DAYS is by VJ and not LRE.

SN23
17th October 2005, 02:31 PM
Sathyakabali,

1. what other songs sung by State bank Krishnan?

2. "ivaL unai ninaiththapOthE adakkuvaaLayyA" is by VJ for Ramaprabha in 47 NatkkaL.

3. LRE's solo in 47 NatklaL is still a ? (but there is one)

sathyakabali
17th October 2005, 07:53 PM
thumbru , SN23
ivaL unai song kEttu romba naaLachchu. casette irukku. thEdugiREn. athil LRE song irunthAl solREn.

padaththin titlesil arimugam State bank Krishnan enRu vanthathu. nallA spashtamaana uchcharippu. avar vERu enna pAdinaarnu theriyalai.

Naaz
18th October 2005, 01:33 AM
Neel D / Sathyakabali -

Many thanks for the replies. I was the source of the confusion - I thought the solo was by LRE - I merged it with Aanandha Thadavmo (another KB / JP collaboration.) The 47 Naatkal solo is by VJ, and it is Ival Unnai. Nice to be able to rely on you all to sort my memory mix-ups!

And, I agree : State Bank Krishnan has a great style, and his rendition of those slokas in Aaththoram Kodiveedu is spotlessly individual.

I haven't heard Ival Unnai in many, many years. Ditto for Ithu Unthan Veettukili Thaan. Nice to be amidst fellow obscurists?

:)

umaramesh
19th October 2005, 11:53 AM
Hi
song from MADURAI MEETA SUNDARA PANDIYAN.

THENDRALIL AADUM KOOTHALI KANDEN. KJ&VJ .

song from MEENAVA NANBAN.

POONGUM KADAL OOSAI.

Above songs from our MELLISAI MANNAR.

Sorry if someone already pointed out these two numbers

umaramesh

umaramesh
19th October 2005, 12:07 PM
I forgot to mention old melody (SPB-VJ) ANBU MEGAMAY INGU OODIVAA from the film ENGAMMA SABATHAM.
Music by VIJAYA BHASKAR.

What a song.

uma ramesh

yvsmani
27th October 2005, 11:45 AM
Naaz,
47 naatkalil LRE song irukku - antha pattil saratbabum varuvaar. vijay tvil meendum telecast seiyum pothu paarththu solgiren.

Naaz
29th October 2005, 06:51 PM
Neel D / yvsmani / all -

Have you heard this solo: "Eraal Meenu Paaru, Nalla Sora Meenu Paaru..."?
Would you have any details regarding this song - padam padagar isai? Caught in that "loop" again - what can I say?

Digression:
If anybody has a song file for "Anbu Nadamaadum Kalai Koodamae" (or know a site on the net where it can be heard) please send me a PM? Thanks!

Neel D
20th November 2005, 12:59 PM
Naaz,

Don't be asking such difficult questions. I don't have an answer. Never heard that song before.

Naaz
20th November 2005, 10:23 PM
Neel D -

I have a vague feeling that the "fishy" song was sung by VJ...and, trust me, the song does exist!

The other duet I was asking about is from Avanthaan Manithan, but I don't have the song file :-(