2nd February 2009, 07:26 PM
VJ Interview

http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/01/stories/2009020150760200.htm
[html:ab53da3f4c]
[/html:ab53da3f4c]

Neel D
26th April 2009, 12:42 AM
Nice duet. Short and sweet.
If anyone knows a complete version please point in that direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9wunN9SnCQ&feature=related

Naaz
26th April 2009, 05:33 AM
Neel D -

Chanced on this thread today after a long, long time (I know!), and what a delight!
Pyaar Bhara Kajra, Zulf Leharaai Tho, Lay Chalo, Teri Jheel Si...all fine hits from the 70s.
Amazing to think that VJ was the voice for Jaya Bhaduri, Shabana Azmi, Parveen Babi, Rehana Sultan, Asha Sachdev, Tanuja, Hema Malini...and Bindu! :-)
Thanks for sharing!

Neel D
27th April 2009, 06:34 PM
Y'all,

VJ is being featured in this week's Thirumbi Paarkkiren on Jaya TV.
Monday through Friday from 10:00pm to 10:30pm. Do not miss. Please watch and share.
[html:ae805b205a]

[/html:ae805b205a]

Neel D
7th August 2009, 04:19 AM
Award for Vani Jairam

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/08/07/stories/2009080751560100.htm

Naaz
11th August 2009, 08:01 AM
Neel D -

That's wonderful news! Thanks for sharing the link.

Neel D
27th November 2009, 11:44 AM
[tscii:0189c8dafd]

Delhi Tamil Sangam held a concert by VJ on November 22, 2009. Here is an article by columnist Priyadarsi Dutta of The Pioneer.

The Pioneer (November 25, 2009)

Column: Second Opinion (Edit Page)

Language is inconsequential

Priyadarsi Dutta

Two hours seemed a short time as Vani Jayaram’s lilting voice enthralled the listeners at Delhi Tamil Sangam on a Sunday winter evening. I was perhaps the odd man out with my Tamil vocabulary practically restricted to Vanakkam (Namaskar). But the way her mellifluent voice moved my heart and head, I ran the risk of being mistaken as a connoisseur of Tamil. Devotion was the string of her pearls as she conjured magical numbers dedicated to Meenakshi Amman of Madurai, goddess Kamakshi of Kanchi, Lord Krishna (Govinda), Ayappa (in Malayalam), to Lord Venkateswara and Devi Chamunda of Mysore (in Kannada).

With advertisements printed in Tamil, the concert was targeted at Tamils exclusively. Yet, as I discovered, language posed no barrier since her spirit and devotion were characteristically Indian. It reminds one of Fr Xavier S Thani Nayagam, an expatriate Sri Lankan Tamil, who said during the First International Tamil Conference at Kuala Lumpur in 1966 — “If Latin is the language of law and of medicine, French the language of the diplomacy, German the language of science, and English the language of commerce, then Tamil is the language of bhakti, the devotion to the sacred and the holy.”

In fact, Tamil Nadu is the refuge of classical India whether in philosophy, architecture, dance or music. This explains why Swami Vivekananda received a roaring welcome from the Tamils in Sri Lanka and India although many of them knew only Tamil, which the Bengali monk did not know. And why Ananda Coomaraswamy, son of a Sri Lankan Tamil father and a British mother, gelled with the Tagore family in Calcutta. KS Ramaswami Sastri wrote Sir Rabindranath Tagore: His Life, Personality and Genius, published by Ganesh & Co, Madras, in 1916. The idea, as opposed to the language, of Hindu ethos is one.

The West, where public-speaking effloresced since ancient past, has excelled in transmitting ideas in contemporary idioms. India has demonstrated that ideas can be transmitted wordlessly. From India rose the art of meditation that we may realise the Truth by direct realisation. Our classical arts are not modes of entertainment but the quest for the Divine. When language chauvinism is raging in a western State of India, will somebody look beyond the spoken word, and discover that great unifying idea?

[/tscii:0189c8dafd]

Neel D
12th March 2010, 12:49 AM
Nice video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncx46cJozIg

tvsankar
12th March 2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the youtube Neel. really NIce one.

tvsankar
12th March 2010, 01:42 PM
Dhoraguna - VJ's rendition is ecvellent.

Soulful a padi irupanga. Epo kaetalum, kandipa kannula kannir vandhudum...

KVM Isaiyum, padiyavargalum - SPB and VJ um - azha vechuduvanga....

Naaz
14th March 2010, 01:19 AM
Neel D -

Wonderful program on VJs best in Telugu! Thanks for sharing the link.

Neel D
4th October 2010, 12:12 AM
Vani Jairam Felicitated By Visakha Music Academy

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-fridayreview/article805273.ece

Naaz
7th November 2010, 04:36 AM
Neel D -

After listening to the VJ songs posted in the other thread, this 80s tune came to mind (don't have other details to share):

"En Vaanil Pon Maegam Panneer Thoovuthu...En Vaazhvil Sandhosham Panneer Thoovuthu..." (lyric sothappal mannikkanum! :-))
Beautifully sung by VJ. I remember the opening aalaapanai...divine!

The memories this portal brings back -- priceless! :-)

Naaz
7th November 2010, 08:39 PM
Neel D -

Thanks to you, I am back in excavation mode! :-)

A few more VJ tunes came to mind (please fill in the details):

Thaen Sindhum Malarallavo, Vaan Neendhum Nilavallavo...

----

Oorengum Unnai Thaedutho, Maegangal Antha Vaanilae...

----

Alaimagal Valam Vantha Maadhavano, Ivan Malaimagal Valam Nindra Vaelavano...

----

I don't know if these have been featured, but if they haven't...hint, hint! :-)

(I hope tfmlover drives by this thread too...)

priya32
7th November 2010, 08:48 PM
[tscii:9cdbe2357d]
Neel D -

After listening to the VJ songs posted in the other thread, this 80s tune came to mind (don't have other details to share):

"En Vaanil Pon Maegam Panneer Thoovuthu...En Vaazhvil Sandhosham Panneer Thoovuthu..." (lyric sothappal mannikkanum! :-))
Beautifully sung by VJ. I remember the opening aalaapanai...divine!

The memories this portal brings back -- priceless! :-)

Naaz,

என் வானில் பொன் மேகம் பன்னீர் தூவுது
என் வாழ்வின் சந்தோஷம் கண்ணீர் தூவுது

is from Vijayakanth starrer 'சத்தியம் நீயே’ (இசை: ஷங்கர் கணேஷ்) a very soothing solo by Vanijeyaram![/tscii:9cdbe2357d]

priya32
7th November 2010, 09:13 PM
Neel D -

Thanks to you, I am back in excavation mode! :-)

A few more VJ tunes came to mind (please fill in the details):

Thaen Sindhum Malarallavo, Vaan Neendhum Nilavallavo...

----

Oorengum Unnai Thaedutho, Maegangal Antha Vaanilae...

----

Alaimagal Valam Vantha Maadhavano, Ivan Malaimagal Valam Nindra Vaelavano...

----

I don't know if these have been featured, but if they haven't...hint, hint! :-)

(I hope tfmlover drives by this thread too...)

தேன் சிந்தும் மலரல்லவா
வான் நீந்தும் நிலவல்லவா
(கசப்பும் இனிப்பும் - எஸ்.பி.பாலசுப்ரமணியம் இசை: B.K.ஜவஹர்)

ஊரெங்கும் உன்னைத் தேடுதோ
மேகங்கள் அந்த வானிலே
(கை நாட்டு - ஜெயசந்திரன் & வாணி ஜெயராம் இசை: சந்திரபோஸ்)

Naaz
7th November 2010, 09:34 PM
priya32 -

Pidiyungal Oru Sabaash!! How do you remember all these details...dumb question, I know. You just do! :-)

A few more lines from the En Vaanil came to me this morning:

En Solai Engengum Pon Poo Pooththadhu
En Maalai Un Tholil Nannaal Paarththadhu...

A lovely tune from SG!

---------

Oorengum Unnai is also a fine tune by CB.

These following lines in the song are so romantic:

Mazhai Naalilae Kudaiyaanaval,
Nanaigindrathae, Kanngalae...

&

Mazhai Naalilae, Kudai Polavae
Nanaigindrathae, En Pennmaiyae...

Thank you for reawakening these dormant memories!

Neel D
7th November 2010, 10:13 PM
Oh you guys, stop it ( no please don't)!
You are taking me back to the 80s. Miss it so much. Will never come back :( .
Keep reminding the songs. :D :musicsmile:

Neel D
8th November 2010, 02:23 AM
Here is a nice one.

anRu muthal unakkum enakkum
uRavu uNdAnathu

VJ with SPB. Not sure about the film or MD.

Naaz
8th November 2010, 08:33 AM
Neel D -

I need to catch a whiff of the tune before I can get a song going. Often when I read the lines, I just draw a blank.

And the other way it works is when I get into some sort of lateral loop - a word or an image gets me all twisted and gnarled in songs with similar metaphors and evocations. But when the going gets really good, it's a dizzying down and across of a musical crossword. Giddy with goosebumps - what's not to like? :-)

Long puzzle short: That line is a bit of a deadbeat for now.

Priya32 mentions B.K. Jawahar. Has he done other films? Or is he one among the many MDs who were drowned out in the commercial rush and tumble of the 80s?(Thayanban, Sivaji Raja, .Srikanth...)

Naaz
8th November 2010, 07:54 PM
Neel D -

So the "image" (actually, jacket photo) of "Puthu Vellam" Manjula in the other thread got me thinking if there were other songs by VJ for her...and it brought me here:

"Ennenno Janmala Bandham, Needhi, Naadhi.." from the Telugu film "Pooja" (which also featured Vanisri and Ramakrishna.) Evergreen duet by VJ-SPB, scored by Rajan-Nagendra!

Ah, these lateral loops!

Neel D
8th November 2010, 10:48 PM
Long puzzle short: That line is a bit of a deadbeat for now.

Naaz,

More lines. See if this rings a bell.

அன்று முதல் உனக்கும் எனக்கும் உறவு உண்டானது
இன்று முதல் நமக்குள் இருக்கும் நெருக்கம் ஒன்றானது
நிலவு வரும்
பால் போலவே
இரவு வரும்
தேன் போலவே

Naaz
9th November 2010, 08:11 AM
Neel D -

I think I'm getting the tune (somewhat.) It is a breezy one with a "la la la la" sort of opening? ending?
CB, maybe?

Do you recall any other lines of this:
Madiyilae Idam (?) Kodu
Idaiyilae Thoda Vidu, Ammamma...

I can only hum it from there. I think it was also VJ-SPB? Or Mano? Don't know anything else.

Neel D
10th November 2010, 12:03 AM
Naaz,

Yes, it is a nice breezy song. I will post it some day.

madiyilE idam kodu - It is hard enough to recall a rare song when given the opening lines. You have given some lines inside the song. I think there should be a voice embedding feature in our posts. May be short 10 second clips. That way one can hum the tune and put it out there. Someone, somewhere will recognize it. Cool feature, eh!

priya32
10th November 2010, 12:17 AM
Priya32 mentions B.K. Jawahar. Has he done other films? Or is he one among the many MDs who were drowned out in the commercial rush and tumble of the 80s?(Thayanban, Sivaji Raja, .Srikanth...)

Naaz,

I have the DVD for kasappum inippum movie, I followed the MD's name from there. I have no idea if B.K.Jawahar has done any other movies though.

priya32
10th November 2010, 12:21 AM
Oh! you guys are talking about 'madiyilE sugam kodu. idaiyilE thoda vidu, idhazhukku idam kodu' from Manoj Gyan's oru iniya udhayam?

Catchy tune...by SPB & VJ!

Which reminds me of the following songs,

azhaiththaaL varuvaaL
kEttaaL tharuvaaL
avaL thaanE manaivi

azhaiththaal varaavidil thudippEn
vaLaikkaram pidippEn

kani sirikkuthu
pasi edukkuthu
kiLi thudikkuthu

thalaivaa nI vaa
thara vaa peRa vaa

naLLiravil paLLiyaRai
naadagam thaan sarasam

Naaz
10th November 2010, 06:39 AM
Neel D -

Do post the song sometime. I'd love to listen to it again.
Your hummingbird (or nerd ;-)) idea is fantastic -- you have to work on it soon! The Indian market will lap it up like ladoos on Deepavali.

Priya32 -

I wouldn't have guessed. OIU was another Vijayakanth film? Amala? It had another good song in it, but like I'll remember it now.
The Madiyilae song pallavi ends with something like. "Atharkenna Avasaram, Aiyaiya..." - or that's how I've been rewriing it as of yesterday.

First Azaiththaal I've heard, the second Azaiththaal is a puzzle for now - or even later.

Kani Sirippai Kaetathilla.

Thalaiva Ni Vaa I have heard, but the name of the film escapes me - Pournami Alaigal? Sugamaana Raagangal? I don't even try to get it right these days.

Nalliravil is a nice tune- later VB. I think it was Oru Kai Paarppom...

Haven't heard any of these in a long, long while, but it is nice to play them in the echo chamber of one's head. Nobody else hears it!

There's a VJ-MVD duet that begins Sridevi - now this is where I could really use that hum thingy - for all I remember is how that word is sung. I think it is followed by "Varam Ondru Kidaikkumma?" ...or some such. No other leads.

priya32
10th November 2010, 06:47 AM
There's a VJ-MVD duet that begins Sridevi - now this is where I could really use that hum thingy - for all I remember is how that word is sung. I think it is followed by "Varam Ondru Kidaikkumma?" ...or some such. No other leads.

Naaz,

I think you are talkiing about,

ஸ்ரீதேவி தொடும் சுகம் கிடைக்குமா
ஸ்ரீ ராமன் சுயம்வரம் நடக்குமா

Movie: ஆக்ரோஷம் (MVD & VJ)

priya32
10th November 2010, 07:48 AM
How about this one? (SPB & VJ),

அம்மன் அலங்காரம்
அந்திப்பகல் தோறும்
அர்ச்சனைக்கு யோகம்
அர்த்த ஜாம நேரம்

VJ's voice is magical in this song!

Neel D
10th November 2010, 05:20 PM
Naaz,

thalaivA nI vA is from Puthiya Pathai by Chandrabose.
Quite a few thalaivan-thalaivi sung by VJ.

Priya,

amman alangkAram is a lovely song (MSV). I think we featured it in potw too.

Naaz
10th November 2010, 08:48 PM
priya32 -

Aakrosham? It's all silence to me. The number of obscure films that have come and gone like ships in the night...
I am just relieved I got two words right in that line.

Neel D -

Puthiya Paathai - Seetha, right? I think I've seen the film.

Amman Alanggaaram has got to be among the 25 Best by VJ-SPB for MSV. How can one forget Gowri Manohari now?

And details on "Pathinaaru Vayathinilae, Thaenaaru Paiynthadhu..." Was this featured in POTW a few months ago? I think the title song for Paarvaiyin Marupakkam was also by VJ...a good one.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th November 2010, 09:19 PM
One of my fav singer, she had a unique and haunting voice

my fav

Malligai pon mannan
NaanE naanA yaarO naanA
Ezhu swaranghalukuzh ethanai padal

Neel D
10th November 2010, 10:26 PM
Priya,

I only remember an Aerobics song from Oru Iniya Udhayam. Or is it from another film? A group of girls in my class performed for that song on stage wearing tracksuits, headbands, wristbands, etc.

Now that you mentioned I recall madiyilE song.

Naaz,

I think we featured Parvaiyin Marupakkam. In fact Priya sent the songs, I think.

Naaz
10th November 2010, 11:10 PM
Neel D -

I guess you are thinking of Rojaa Poo Aadi Vanthadhu, from Agni Natchaththiram? Or Amala took her aerobics wear to the sets of IOU right after...highly probable. :-)

The song begins as "Paarvaiyin Marupakkam..." I remember you featuring "Dhaevathai Puriyum Thavangal..."

Wasn't there another song that went Oru Moonaam Pirai Irukku Jannal Pakkamma...? Bhagyaraj film? Pandiya Rajan?

priya32
11th November 2010, 12:26 AM
Amman Alanggaaram has got to be among the 25 Best by VJ-SPB for MSV. How can one forget Gowri Manohari now?

And details on "Pathinaaru Vayathinilae, Thaenaaru Paiynthadhu..." Was this featured in POTW a few months ago? I think the title song for Paarvaiyin Marupakkam was also by VJ...a good one.

I thought 'dEvadhai puriyum dhavangaL' comes towards the end of the movie, Ooty botanical garden-la eduththa scene maadhiri varum (appadInnu ninaikkiREn, I could be wrong)!

amman alangaaram is from oru vaarisu uruvaagiRadhu!

Now, padhinaaru vayadhinilE thEnaaru paayndhadhu-vaa...I can't recall hearing that song before!

priya32
11th November 2010, 12:47 AM
Few songs of this pair (SPB & VJ),

1. aadalaamA annanadai pinnalida
aasai pongkum sontham allavO
paadalaamA paLLiyaRai paadalonRu
paasamuLLa bandham allavO
(mEgaththukkum dhaagam uNdu)

2. yaaradhu manmadhan
Enidhu mandhiram
arththa raththiriyil sarasamO
aasai koLvadhenna virasamO
(mEgaththukkum dhaagam uNdu)

3. Oh mudhal muRai thoduvadhu sugam
(dhUram adhigamillai - was featured in POTW)

4. thottavudan nenjam silirkkudhu
sondha malar vaavena azhaikkudhu (Nice One!)
(Chinna poovE mella pEsu)

5. Sriraman Sridevi
kalyaaNa vaibOgam
(Dowry kalyaaNam)

6. solliththara naanirukkEn raajaaththi
adi solli solli thEduppEn unnai sUdEththi
(gnaanappaRavai)

I don't want to get carried away...so, let me stop right here!

Naaz
11th November 2010, 06:11 AM
Priya32 -

That is a great list. Maegaththukkum had another lovely duet "Yaaradhu, Manmadhan..."

Solliththara have not heard for a long time. KVM or MSV tune?

The other song I mentioned goes like this:

Pathinaaru Vayathinilae
Thaenaaru Paiynthadhu
Varalaaru Maarum Naeram
Sugamaana Vaazhkai Kolam...

VJ solo for MSV. I might have the file. If I do find it, I will share it with Neel D.

Here's another jolly duet by VJ-SPB:

Kalyaanam Mudinjaa Katchaeri Dhaan
Katcchaeri Mudinjaa Kondaattam Dhaan...

CB or SG, not sure.

Neel D
11th November 2010, 07:27 AM
One of my fav singer, she had a unique and haunting voice

Paramashivan,

Talking about haunting, there is a VJ solo in Kannada. Music L.Vaidyanathan. I can't recall the lines at the moment. If you haven't you should give it a listen. I will try to find out the opening line.

Naaz,

I may have pathinARu vayathinilE. I think Saravanan shared it when he was writing the Chronology series.

Naaz
11th November 2010, 08:15 PM
Neel D -

Of course you have it! I should have added that to the offer in the previous post.

Saravanan's Chronology is a treasure. I've read his posts many times. I keep going back to it when I am stuck for a VJ solo / film, and find out so much more about the song.

Amman Alanggaaram has to be witnessed by all:
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1639444#1639444

What a song!

Neel D
12th November 2010, 03:48 AM
Param,

Found it. The song is Hodeya Doora from the film Anubhava. It is available at raaga dot com.

rajeshkrv
12th November 2010, 04:40 AM
neel ,

you r right about the aerobics song

"it goes like this poo pondra vaalibam vaadamal vaazhattum pee pee pee.. etc " by chitra
forgot the starting though.
it's for Nadhiya and team

this is another nadhiya-suresh starrer

priya32
12th November 2010, 06:19 AM
More songs by SPB and VJ combo, here we go again!

I'm pretty sure that these songs have been mentioned and discussed about already.

When it comes to duet songs, these (SPB & VJ) two are the number one choice for me.

samudhra raaja kumaari
suga pushpa sugumaari
(engaL vaadhyaar)

SriRaman varuginRa paadhai
inRu singaaram paadugiRaaL Seethai
(mUkkanaangayiru)

ninaichchadhu appOdhu
inikudhu ippOdhu
thavikkudhu thannaalE
thazhuvunga munnaalE
(Anu)

mOgam vandhu nenjil mOdhum kaalam
thEgam inRu raagam paadum nEram
(ninaivugaL maRaivadhillai)

ammaadi poNNu enammA kaNNu
udambengum Enindha ragasiyam
(RajavukkEththa Rani)

enna solla enna solla
ennennavO paNNudhayyA
(thanga kOppai)

mUvagai paalil mUnRaam paalthaan inbam
andha mUnRaam paalil thOnRuvadhE un bimbam
(aththi pUththadhU)

Neel D
12th November 2010, 10:00 PM
rajeshkrv,
I thought it was Nadhiya and KSC too.

Priya,
There is a very dramatic VJ-SPB song that goes

உயிரே உயிரே இனிமேல் சுகமோ
ஒரு நாள் இது போல் திருநாள் வருமோ

It is like a dance drama about 10 minutes long. Do you know what film it is from?

PARAMASHIVAN
12th November 2010, 10:28 PM
Paramashivan,

Talking about haunting, there is a VJ solo in Kannada. Music L.Vaidyanathan. I can't recall the lines at the moment. If you haven't you should give it a listen. I will try to find out the opening line.

Please do even though I don't understand kannada :)

priya32
13th November 2010, 12:34 AM
Priya,
There is a very dramatic VJ-SPB song that goes

உயிரே உயிரே இனிமேல் சுகமோ
ஒரு நாள் இது போல் திருநாள் வருமோ

It is like a dance drama about 10 minutes long. Do you know what film it is from?

Neel,

It is from the movie 'ivaL oru pourNami' MD: T.K. Ramamoorthy

Almost all of the songs in this movie are semi-classical ones!

There is another song in this movie sung by VJ with Malaysia Vasudevan,

viNNilE minmini Urvalam
maNNilE malligai pUchcharam

Naaz
13th November 2010, 02:35 AM
Priya32 / Neel D -

Have not heard many of these songs you mention. Hat off to both of you.

Hope to find them featured as POTW sometime.

priya32
13th November 2010, 02:59 AM
Thanks Naaz,

If I talk about a song, that means I have that song. I will check with Neel to send and to have 'em featured on POTW! :)

Coming back to the subject...few more of SPB and VJ songs,

en nenjil paLLi koNda maanE maanE
enRenRum undhan sondham naanE naanE
(niyaayam kEtkiREn)

nI irundhaal thaan nimmadhi ingE
nI illai enRaal vaazhvadhu engE
(nIdhiyin nizhal)

sorgaththai paarkkiREn unnidam
inbaththai koNduvaa ennidam
(avaL oru adhisayam)

aasai oru maNi muththam padhiththida aasai
Osai malar udhattinil piRandhidum Osai
(maalai sUdavaa)

en yOga jaadhagam naan unnai sErdhadhu
inba lOga naadagam un uRavil kaNdadhu
(inRupOl enRum vaazhga)

sangItham raagangaL illaamalA
sandhOsham samsaaram illaamalA
(mOgam muppadhu varusham)

Neel D
13th November 2010, 08:31 AM
Priya,

Thanks for the details. I know viNNilE minmini song. That is a long song too.

From the archives:
en nenjil paLLi - http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1230889#1230889

Naaz
15th November 2010, 02:13 AM
Neel D / Priya32 -

There's a song that has this refrain, and this is all I can recall:

"Aiyaalo Diyaalo Aayaalo Di..." LOL. I think it was VJ-MVD, but could be wrong. Some clue, huh? :-)

priya32
15th November 2010, 05:10 AM
Naaz,

The song starts off as,

ஆளான ஆளில்லையோ
அழகான முகமில்லையோ

...and continues on like this,

ஆசை வச்சேன் உம்மேல தான்
ஆட வந்தேன் நான் உன்னோட நான்

It is from the movie 'mudhal iravu' I remember watching this movie few years back, but I don't remember this song's visual.

Gypsies paaduRa style-lE paadi iruppaanga...மூஞ்சியப்பாரு-nnu VJ paaduRappO romba nallA irukkum! :lol:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00381&lang=en

Naaz
15th November 2010, 07:46 AM
Priya32 -

Wow, had not heard this in such a long time! What a riot this song is! Too good.

Mudhal Iravu had a great duet "Manjal Nilaavukku..."

Predictably, this song did not get much play on AIR., but I still remember it. No other visual clues, though. Guess this one was the precursor to "Sonnadhu Palikkudhu Paaru..." :-)

rajeshkrv
15th November 2010, 10:36 PM
Neel,
i could recollect the song

the song is "chikendra aadayil chittukkal aadattum"
by KSC . May be the 1, 2 ,3 is by nadhiya. not sure though.

Neel D
16th November 2010, 12:17 AM
Bingo! That is the song. :thumbsup: rajeshkrv!

madhu
16th November 2010, 05:18 AM
thread muzhukka sariya paarka nEram illai.
but..

did anybody mention the SPB VJ duer "sorgathai pArkiREn unnidam" from "avaL oru athisayam" ?

nalla song.

priya32
16th November 2010, 07:39 AM
thread muzhukka sariya paarka nEram illai.
but..

did anybody mention the SPB VJ duer "sorgathai pArkiREn unnidam" from "avaL oru athisayam" ?

nalla song.

Madhu,

I was thinking of mentioning this song when I was listening to it...forgot!

Thanks for reminding, indha Radhakrishnan kaadhal enbadhu is a nice one also.

madhu
16th November 2010, 12:08 PM
There is a beautiful solo of VJ from the film "unnai naan sandhithEn" renamed as "thyaga uLLam" later.. startiing "nilAvai nEtRu pArthadhu.. ninaindhu meeNdum vanthadhu"

இன்னொரு பாட்டு ... ராஜ் சீதாராமனும் வாணி ஜய்ராமும் பாடியது.... "பல நாளாய் ஆசை வச்சு" படம் "வாங்க மாப்பிள்ளை வாங்க"ன்னு நினைக்கிறேன்.

Naaz
16th November 2010, 09:17 PM
madhu -

Sorgaththai Paarkiraen Unnidam is a fine duet. Thanks for reminding me - have not listened to in many years.

Was "Paarvaiyo Unnidam Pogumo Vaeridam..." also by VJ-Raj Seetharaman?

Another good VJ-SPB song for MSV came to mind this morning:
"Ennenbadho Aedhenbadho Kannil Oliyaetrum Deepam, Kadavul Vadivaana Roopam..."

PARAMASHIVAN
17th November 2010, 05:25 PM
Param,

Found it. The song is Hodeya Doora from the film Anubhava. It is available at raaga dot com.

:ty:

Another gem

'Naana paduvathu naana , with the Genius SPB ji ' :notworthy:

priya32
17th November 2010, 06:53 PM
Was "Paarvaiyo Unnidam Pogumo Vaeridam..." also by VJ-Raj Seetharaman?

paarvaiyO unnidam was sung by N.V.Haridas. Malaiyalam paadalgaL paadi irukkaar. It is from the movie 'nijangaL nilaikkinRana'

priya32
17th November 2010, 07:08 PM
More of SPB and VJ songs,

1. நேற்று பூந்தளிர் பூங்கொடி
காற்றில் ஆடும் இரு காதல் மாங்கனி
(ராஜா நீ வாழ்க)

2. இதோ உன் காதலி கண்மணி
இவள் மனம் இனி எனது
(சௌந்தர்யமே வருக வருக)

3. ஆகாயம் தானே அழகான கூரை
காணும் இடம் யாவும் காதலர்கள் வீடு
(சௌந்தர்யமே வருக வருக)

4. அழகிய பெண்கள் வாழ்வதே
ஆடவர் சொற்படி ஆடவா
(சத்திய சுந்தரம்)

5. சின்னஞ்சிறு கல்லுவச்ச மூக்குத்தி
என்னை காந்தம்போல இழுக்குது ராசாத்தி
(நான் சூட்டிய மலர்)

6. எல்லாம் உன் அருளாலே வெங்கடேசா
இன்று எங்களுக்கும் சாட்சி நீயே திருமலேசா
(ராதைக்கேற்ற கண்ணன்)

7. ஏன் இந்த திண்டாட்டம் கண்ணா
நான் என்ன அறியாத பெண்ணா
(மரியா மை டார்லிங்)

8. இனிமையானது அந்த இறைவன் போன்றது
அது புனிதமானது காதல் பொருள் நிறைந்தது
(மன்மத ரதங்கள்)

9. நமது காதல் எங்கும் என்றும் காணாதது
அந்த கம்பனும் வேறெந்த கொம்பனும் இதுவரை கூறாதது
(ஜஸ்டிஸ் கோபிநாத்)

10. ஆடலாமா அன்னநடை பின்னலிட
ஆசை பொங்கும் சொந்தம் அல்லவோ
(மேகத்துக்கும் தாகம் உண்டு)

11. புது மஞ்சள் மேனிச் சிட்டு
புடவைக்குள் ஊஞ்சல் இட்டு
நடனங்கள் ஆடிடும் நயமான அழகு
(ருத்ர தாண்டவம்)

12. நட்சத்திர பூவை எடுத்து
மாலை தொடுத்து தரட்டுமா
(வெளிச்சத்துக்கு வாங்க)

13. ராகம் தாளம் பல்லவி
அது காதல் பூபாளமே
(தீர்ப்புகள் திருத்தப்படலாம்)

14. சொல்லித்தர நானிருக்கேன் ராஜாத்தி
அடி சொல்லி சொல்லி தேனெடுப்பேன் உன்னை சூடேத்தி
(ஞானப்பறவை)

15. யாரது - மன்மதன்
ஏனிது - மந்திரம்
(மேகத்துக்கும் தாகம் உண்டு)

16. இலைகள் மீதும் மலர்கள் மீதும்
பனி விழும் காலம்
(குளிர்கால மேகங்கள்)

A stunning song which could equally compete with கொஞ்சும் மலர் மஞ்சம்.

Naaz
18th November 2010, 09:20 PM
priya32 -

Another delish list! My favorites among your 16 are:
Itho Un Kaadhali
Yaaradhu Manmadhan
Ilaigal Meedhum (superb composition by SG!)
Aagaayam Dhaanae
Raagam Thaalam Pallavi
Inimaiyaanadhu...

Here are some songs that I can always listen to, any year, any time...

Maanikka Maamani Maalaiyil
Soppanaththil Sindu Padiththaen
Pullaankuzhal Mozhi
Maalai Malar Pandhalitta Naeram
Ilakkanam Maarutho
En Paeyarae Enakku Marandhu Pona
Sorgaththilae Mudivaanadhu
Idhaya Vaanil Ulavugindra
Ilamaiyin Ninaivugal Aayiram

Have this VJ solo in my head, but don't recall any details -- could be by SG:
Kanna Un Raadhai Azhaikkindra Vaelai...Nee Thandhu Naan Vaazhgindraen...

And another:
Aedhaedhao Kanavu Kandaeno, Mouna Mozhiyilae...

And as I was typing the above, this one popped up:

Nenachaen Nenachaen Unnaththaan Nenachaen...

Wish I had a whole week to listen to all these tunes. Have to wait for the Winter break! :-)

Neel D
18th November 2010, 11:12 PM
Param,

You are welcome. Check out the following too:

1) savi nenapugalu bekku from the film Aparichita
2) srikrishna janisida from Devara Gudi

priya32
21st November 2010, 07:39 AM
Have this VJ solo in my head, but don't recall any details -- could be by SG:
Kanna Un Raadhai Azhaikkindra Vaelai...Nee Thandhu Naan Vaazhgindraen...

And another:
Aedhaedhao Kanavu Kandaeno, Mouna Mozhiyilae...

கண்ணா உன் ராதை
அழைக்கின்ற வேளை
உனக்கென்ன வேலை
(சின்ன சின்ன வீடுகட்டி)

ஏதேதோ கனவு கண்டேனோ மனம் போல்
மௌன மொழியிலே விரக விழியிலே
(துடிக்கும் நெஞ்சங்கள்)

Sounds exactly like the SJ's song from maragadha vINai, I wonder why? One of the movies is a dubbed one?

கண்ணா வா கவிதை சொல்வேன் வா
அன்பே வா அழுது நின்றேன் வா தலைவா

Naaz
21st November 2010, 11:24 PM
priya32 -

Thank you for all the details.
Chinna Chinna Veedu Katti had another nice VJ-MVD solo: "Naakula Mookula Naththu Bullaalukla..." A breathless romp!

Thudikkum Nenjangal? Have not heard of it at all. but I remember hearing the solo...weird.

Heard "Kaadhal Ennai Kaadhalikkavillai..." yesterday after many years. Lovely duet by Hamsalekha? Have to find "Ninaiththaal Unnai Thaan Ninaiththaen..." today. One of my cherished duets by VJ-KJY.

Neel D -

Has Kanni Vannam Rosaapoo been featured at POTW? And this one: Naeraagavae Kaetkiraen Orae Badhil Nee Indru Kooradi (?)...another wonderful, lingering tune!

Neel D
22nd November 2010, 06:40 AM
Naaz,

Yes, they were both featured.

kanni vaNNam - http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=902312#902312

nErAgavE kEtkiREn - http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=825697#825697

Naaz
24th November 2010, 09:06 AM
Neel D -

I have to look these things up before I go about posing questions! :-) Thanks for sharing the links. Great to listen to these duets after a few years.

Naaz
28th November 2010, 05:56 AM
Neel D / Priya32 -

Had an opening today to listen to some immortal melodies today! Here's a list in the order that I heard them (please fill in details...)

Thamizh Vaendhan Paandiyanin Anngam (what a performance by VJ!)

Moongil Ilai Kaadugalae...(This one has got to be among S G's 25 best!)

Thanimaiyil Yaar Ival (among the best by VJ for IR).

Salanam, Sabalam (Oh Manju!)

Mannulagil Indru (I can listen to this one non-stop - amazingly graceful song!)

Naadhamenum Kovililae...(KD rocks - so what's new?)

And these two duets:

Muthu Radhamo, Mullai Charamo... (no details on this one? Some Shoba film, I think?)

Kannan Mugam Kaana Kaaththirundhaal Oru Maadhu... (Aayiram Jenmangal).

Now...the break is over! :-(

priya32
28th November 2010, 07:29 AM
Naaz,

Nice set of songs!

I happened to listen to few of VJ's solos and duets on the weekend too.

SOLO

1. ennaiyanRi unnOdu konja oru nenjamillai
2. ennavenRu solvEnadi
3. kalaiyaadha kanavonRu kaNdEn
4. anbE mounam kalaigiRadhu
5. thaththi sellum muththukkaNNan sirippu
6. pongum kadalOsai

DUETS

1. maalai ponnaana maalai
2. malairaaNi mundhaanai sariya sariya
3. vizhiyO uRangavillai
4. muththamizh sondhangaL
5. paniththenRal kaaRRE vaa
6. pani kUda vairam pOl

Naaz
29th November 2010, 03:13 AM
Priya32 -

I like your list! While I'd like to remember everything about these songs, that's a tough call these days!

1. Nenjangal
5. Thanga Padhakkam
6. Meenava Nanban

1. Nilavae Malarae
2. Orae Vaanam Orae Bhoomi
4. Maadi Veettu Aezhai (?)

# 6 is a new one, and I don't think I've heard it.

Paniththendral Kaatrae Vaa is VJ on a breeze. I have to look for this song in my collection now!

I heard these few songs this morning:

Ponnoviyam Ondru Rathiyin Vadivil...
(another fine tune by S G)

Oru Puram Vaedan (Mayangugiraal Oru Maadhu)

Indru Kaatrukkum Malarukkum (Saranaalayam)

Tharavaa Naan Tharavaa (which film?)

Isaiththuraiyil Enakku Kaadhal Vaegam (no details...)

Thaedum En Kaadhal Penn Paavai... (Oru Malarin Payanam)

and finally -

Gangai Nadhi Oram Raaman Nadandhaan... (Varaprasaadham)

And then I heard the call of chores :-)

Neel D
29th November 2010, 10:21 AM
All,

VJ will be doing some interviews on radio and TV this week and the next few weeks. Keep an eye out. If you have any specific information about the schedules please share.

tvsankar
29th November 2010, 12:13 PM
Naaz and Priya,
Great findings.....hmmm...

En ullam azhaga velli thirai - Cinema Paithiyam?

Iai thuraiyil enaku kadhal - MSV is the MD.. think so...

Naaz
29th November 2010, 09:48 PM
tvshankar -

Thanks!

Isaiththuraiyil Enakku is from Magaraasi Vaazhga (MSV is right).

Neel D -

Yes, please share any files / news about these upcoming VJ programs. Thanks!

tvsankar
29th November 2010, 09:59 PM
Welcome Naaz....

Naan dhan thanks solanam. Rare songs ku...

paatai - vaarthaiyil parthadhukae - manasil tune vandhu vandhu - ana kanama poradhu.............

Naaz
30th November 2010, 10:12 PM
I listened to this tune today after a very, very long time...

Pulli Maan Pola Thulli Thulli Odum...from Maanthoppu Kiliyae.

This album by S G was so consistent. The VJ-MVD duet from the same film "Poovo Malarndhirukku..." is among my favorites by this duo.

Naaz
5th December 2010, 12:54 AM
Neel D -

A few weeks ago you'd featured Sandhosham Kaanaadha at POTW. Here's the original audio track from Parinay, by VJ - Manna Dey
Divine! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fs-72PXV50

tvsankar
5th December 2010, 12:59 AM
2 more songs of VJ

Manamagalae un manavarai kolam

Padum vandhae parthadhunda
malai anindha en maapilai

vera onum nyabagam varalai.......

Murali Srinivas
5th December 2010, 08:23 PM
I am not sure how many people are aware of it but there exists a website for Mellisai Mannar. Titled msvtimes.com, the website celebrated it's 4th anniversary yesterday. The function was held at Infosys Hall at Ramakrishna Mission School, T.Nagar, where two long time associates of MSV, Music Director Govardhanam and guitarist S.Philip were honoured with memento and cash award.

There was a music concert by Sridhar's Navarag troupe. The surprise guest of the evening was Vani Jayaram. She came half way through. The function started with concert, in between the facilitation function took place and the concert started again. VJ who came in after the facilitation got over was seated down and suddenly she expressed her desire to get on to the stage and sing.

She said that she is flying down from Hyderabad where she had gone to participate in music reality shows shooting of Telugu channels and she also informed that she did a lecture for Management students on the topic of how to imbibe good values through music. There she said, she talked about MSV profusely. She said that in her drawing room apart from her parents and Lord Ganesha and Muruga, the two photographs that adorn the wall are that of Vasant Desai and MSV. Everyday only after seeking their blessings,she would step out her house, she informed.

By this time there were many requests from the audience to sing their favourite songs. With the orchestra fine tuned, she started with நீராடும் நேரம் நல்ல நேரம் from வைர நெஞ்சம் and proceeded with மல்லிகை என் மன்னன் மயங்கும்.

Then she asked the orchestra to stop and without music she started singing pallavis and charanams of her songs.

இலக்கணம் மாறுதோ

மல்லிகை முல்லை பூப்பந்தல்

தத்தி செல்லும் முத்துக் கண்ணன் சிரிப்பு

பொங்கும் கடலோசை

எங்கிருந்தோ ஒரு குரல் வந்தது

ஏழு ஸ்வரங்களுக்குள்

வேறு இடம் தேடி போவாளோ

இதயம் பேசினால்

வசந்தகால நதிகளிலே

கேள்வியின் நாயகனே

கந்தனுக்கு மாலையிட்டாள் கானகத்து வள்ளி மயில்

நினைவாலே சிலை செய்து

காவிரி நகரினில் கடற்கரை ஓரத்தில்

திருமுருகன் அருகினிலே வள்ளி குறத்தி

It was never ending and there was much more and we were literally soaked in her rendition. While there were requests for non MSV songs, she politely refused saying that she would sing only MSV songs. MSV who had gone out after the facilitation had come back and Vani became more nostalgic. She said that MSV has no equal and he is one of the greatest music composers of the world in the 20th century and she regretted that no significant award has been conferred on him. She requested that Mellisai Mannar should not accept anything less than Dada Sahib Bhalke award.

The occasion was overwhelming on the audience. Because of the incessant rains that lashed/lashing Chennai, the no of people who had turned up dropped and a considerable section had left by 8 pm. VJ who started around 8.15 pm went on till 9 pm and it was as if she was exclusively singing for me/us because the audience by that time were only around 80 to 100. Not even if you pay thousands would you get such a musical treat.

We, after she came down the dias, went for a cup of coffee and she came there for giving an exclusive byte to Vasanth TV [they would be telecasting the fubction] and I had the fortune of saying thanks to her which she acknowledged and got into her waiting car.

Regards

NOV, I was just thinking of you. The evergreen MSV songs were played and each and every song was analysed and it was explained how beautifully MSV had composed them and how most of the songs were ahead of the times they came out.

NOV
5th December 2010, 08:30 PM
NOV, I was just thinking of you. The evergreen MSV songs were played and each and every song was analysed and it was explained how beautifully MSV had composed them and how most of the songs were ahead of the times they came out.Thanks Murali. I am aware of MSVTimes and was also extended an invitation by the owners. But as usual, I missed it becos of being here. :sigh2:
The song list by Vani Jeyram is mouth-watering.

How is her voice now Murali? Gone like PS and TMS or still strong like ALR? :)

Murali Srinivas
5th December 2010, 08:34 PM
NOV,

It is as good as it was in yesteryears. Age is yet to capture with her like SPB.

Regards

PS: If you are still awake, can you check your yahoo mail?

tvsankar
5th December 2010, 09:42 PM
Murali Srinivas,
Thanks for sharing. Really you are Lucky.....

avanga select pannina paatu ellam - Soulful rendition ...........

Lovely nos.........

Idhayam pesinal - Extrarodinary tune...........

Malligai en mannan mayangum - ennoda daily song ......

Engirundho oru kural vandhadhu - very sweet no.....

Thanks for the details MS.......

Neel D
6th December 2010, 05:24 AM
Murali,

Thanks so much for the wonderful recap. You are so lucky to be able to attend this event and listen to those wonderful songs.

Of course VJ is right that MSV was ahead of his time and deserves no less than Dada Saheb Phalke award. Hope the powers that be will spend the time to listen and understand his contribution.

Naaz
6th December 2010, 06:03 AM
Murali Srinivas -

I have to check out MSVtimes.com soon. Thank you for the lead.

Really enjoyed reading your report on the Fourth Anniversary celebrations. The songs chosen by VJ are among the best by her for MSV. I have no doubt that the evening was unforgettable.

RAGHAVENDRA
6th December 2010, 04:10 PM
Dear friends,
The 4th anniversary of MSVtimes.com, official website for Mellisai Mannar, was held on 4th Dec 2010 at Infosys Hall, Chennai-24. As a part of the event, Shri R. Govardhanam, associate and Shri Philips, Guitarist, in MSV troupe, were honored. Sridhar's Navarags, gave music performance of MSV composed songs.

The highlight of the evening and a pleasant surprise for the audience, was the performance of Vani Jayaram (Pls go through Shri Murali Sir's coverage). She sang most famous songs of her, composed by Mellisai Mannar, as well as rare songs (e.g. the Pathini Penn song, many audience were not aware of this song).

A brief coverage in the form of video has been uploaded in Youtube as may be seen below. This may not be a professional quality since shot in a digicam. Pls bear with me if the viewing is disturbing.

MSVtimes.com 4th anniversary

Because of shortage of storage, the video of Vani Jayaram could not be shot in my camera. Pls pardon me.

However, official version will soon be uploaded in the MSVtimes website, which would be intimated immediately thereafter.

Thank you,

Raghavendran.

A REQUEST TO MODERATOR. IF POSSIBLE PLS EMBED THE VIDEO HERE. Thank you.

Neel D
10th December 2010, 08:03 PM
All,

Did anyone watch VJ on Koffee With Anu last week? Good show!

tvsankar
10th December 2010, 08:19 PM
Neel,
link pl...........

rajeshkrv
11th December 2010, 06:28 AM
here is the coffee with Anu VJ episode

http://tamil.techsatish.net/file/cofee-8/

tvsankar
11th December 2010, 10:38 AM
Rajesh,
Thank u...........

Naaz
11th December 2010, 10:23 PM
rajeshkrv -

Thank you for sharing the link! This is the weekend highlight for me!

Neel D
14th December 2010, 10:43 PM
rajeshkrv,

Thanks for the link. Nice program it is. Anu is a pleasant host. VJ is amazing. I am still so surprised why ARR/HJ/YSR/JV/VA/DI/VS/DSP/SKD/GVP/ABC/EFG/XYZ/etc haven't caught a whiff of VJ's beautiful voice. Strange!

Neel D
26th December 2010, 02:28 AM
[tscii:5be81f9e75]Honour for Vani Jayaram

Noted playback singer and Carnatic vocalist Vani Jayaram was felicitated at the Chennaiyil Thiruvaiyaru, an annual music festival organised by popular music troupe Lakshman Sruthi.

This was followed by Vani Jayaram felicitating acclaimed Shastriya Sangeet musician Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and noted Carnatic musician and Chitra Veena exponent Shri Ravikiran during the latter’s jugalbandhi performance scheduled for the same day.

Vani Jayaram was conferred the title South Indian Meera by Dasari Music Academy, Guntur way back in 2007, apart from several other national and regional awards.

She is a popular playback singer in almost all south Indian languages and many of her songs are evergreen hits.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/62582.html[/tscii:5be81f9e75]

Neel D
27th December 2010, 08:14 AM
VJ felicitates PS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5qKBuhmrzI&feature=player_embedded

Neel D
2nd January 2011, 12:38 PM
Coverage by The Hindu of the msvtimes.com event (previously covered here by Murali Srinivas)

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article941523.ece

madhu
7th January 2011, 05:16 AM
nEthu KTV-yil kadavuLukku oru kaditham pArthEn.

eppavumE hum seyya vaikum oru tune "ennadhAn indha mounam". romba naaL kazhichu Jayachandran, Vani kuralil kEttabOdhu felt divine.

nalla quality mp3 link kidaichA yArAvadhu kodungO plz !

Naaz
11th January 2011, 12:49 AM
Neel D -

Thank you for sharing all the links regarding VJ felicitations / events. Wonderful to read / watch!

madhu -

That's a beautiful song:
"Ennadhaan Indha Mounam, Sannidhaanaththil, Indha Naeraththil, Unakkendha Dhyaanaththil Kavanam..."
I remember this one so distinctly. I might have the track somewhere in my library, and if I do find it, I'll share it will Neel.

Two good VJ=PJC tunes that came to my mind this morning after reading your post:

Kadhai Sollum Silaigal, Manmadhan Vidum Kanaigal...

Kalaimaamaniyae, Suvai Maanganiyae...

Have to look for these as well! :-)

Neel D
12th February 2011, 03:21 AM
Malathi Rangarajan meets with Vani Jairam
From The Hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article1089724.ece

Naaz
18th March 2011, 04:38 PM
Absolutely Transcendent!
http://www.4shared.com/audio/BKoMppkZ/Bhavayami_Raghu_Ramam_-_Vani_J.html

Neel D
6th April 2011, 08:38 AM
VJ interview on Malayalam Songs

http://www.hindu.com/2011/02/27/stories/2011022753340900.htm

Naaz
12th April 2011, 08:25 PM
Neel D -
Thank you for the links. VJ's Malayalam songs are priceless. The quote from C. Ramchandra in the article is beyond priceless -- it is the truth.
Here's another link from a recent Telugu program with SPB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmA7QuxTCQ&feature=related

Enjoy!

Neel D
5th May 2011, 08:17 PM
VJ and other artistes felicitate K.Balachandar (coverage by IndiaGlitz.com)

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/m/Events/kb_feli050511/984388.html

tvsankar
5th May 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the link Neel.

Neel D
23rd May 2011, 08:02 PM
Sakshi TV (Telugu) interview with VJ

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO6jLIvWrK0

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELcg5eI2iU

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q1cVpe3SMY

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5zpwYsWAs

Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G19gMzrUw84

Neel D
23rd June 2011, 08:01 PM
Vani Jayaram to be felicitated on 26th

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/67982.html

PARAMASHIVAN
29th June 2011, 05:45 PM
Neel

There was a Song by VJ called " Kadhalenum eetinile .... etrivaithEn" , I cant remember the Excat words, I think it is from some B/W Kamal Movie, perhaps "Nizhal Nijamagirathu" . Can you pls tell me about this song? Thanks :)

PARAMASHIVAN
29th June 2011, 10:10 PM
sorry guys

I got the song now, it is "Naadhamenum kovililE" from Manmadha leelai :)

Neel D
1st July 2011, 07:50 PM
Paramashivan, :)

PARAMASHIVAN
8th July 2011, 09:23 PM
Beautifull song !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0nnN1irafg&NR=1

Neel D
14th August 2011, 10:24 AM
VJ Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuZ9IkO9iAg

R.Latha
25th November 2011, 02:23 PM
Melodic sojourns

----
FETED: Vani Jairam receiving Sangam Academy's Lifetime Achievement Award from Mr. K. Rosaiah, Governor of Tamil Nadu.
---

Vani Jairam is continuously active on the concert circuit both here and abroad. Beginning with her show of exclusive Tamil hits at Harrow, London, the past few months have sped past at a frenetic pace for the prodigious singing talent. “It was held to collect funds for a dilapidated school building in Sri Lanka. The cause made it heart-warming, and singing to a packed auditorium was rewarding,” says Vani.

The crowning glory of the houseful show of her Telugu hits organised by Sangam Academy at Ravindra Bharati Auditorium, Hyderabad, was the Life Time Achievement Award that she received from K. Rosaiah Governor of Tamil Nadu. Vani stayed back to conduct two workshops for children belonging to an international school there. Recordings for devotionals in Tamil and Sanskrit brought her back to Chennai, after which she flew to Dubai for a Malayalam concert for a television channel. Another Award for Lifetime Achievement was presented to her a couple of months ago by yesteryear veteran actor A. Nageswara Rao, at his birthday celebrations in Hyderabad.

Guru Purnima Day saw her performing at the Ramakrishna Mission, Mumbai. Devotionals in Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Punjabi and Gujarati held the audience in thrall. Vani’s Hindi and Gujarati recitals in Ahmedabad that followed were equally well-received. It was the same at her recent devotional concert in Kerala. The songs were predominantly in Malayalam, though Vani also included other language songs on these platforms.

The linguist-musician’s next halt was Australia. “Vijay Yesudas, Chinmayi and Haricharan accompanied me. The concerts at both Sydney and Melbourne were a sell-out,” informs Vani.

“The feedback was overwhelming. Surely she would continue enthralling us with her music for the next 25 years,” says one of the many fan mails, she points out to.

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2656188.ece

R.Latha
7th December 2011, 07:48 PM
Chennai, Dec 6 (PTI): Noted Carnatic vocalist Nithyasree Mahadevan, grand daughter of legandary singer D K Pattammal, renowed playback singer Vani Jayaram and popular stage artiste V S Raghavan are new members of the general council of state sangeeth Natak academy (Tamil Nadu Eyal Isai Nataka Manram). They were appointed for a three year period along with Krishnakumari Narendran, Jayanthi Kannappan, S Varadarajan, Prabhu, Makkal Kural Ramji, and Madhavapeddi Murthy as general council members by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, an official press release said. The government earlier appointed film music director Deva is as council chairman while yesteryears actor Kumari Sachu is member secretary. Raghavan, Jayaram and Narendran will also be members of the manram's executive council.

Neel D
7th December 2011, 10:48 PM
Nice to hear. Thanks Latha!

Neel D
10th December 2011, 08:32 PM
VJ conducts a music workshop in Hyderabad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRY8dVY-duA

Another video from few months ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kWvYPAAJ68Y

Neel D
13th December 2011, 08:37 PM
The Hans India article on VJ's music workshop

http://www.thehansindia.info/News/Article.asp?category=1&subCategory=12&ContentId=24630

Neel D
3rd January 2012, 11:29 PM
VJ Interview - from The Hans India

http://www.thehansindia.info/News/Article.asp?category=1&subCategory=12&ContentId=28124

DonaldToise
19th January 2012, 01:16 AM
I stumbled upon the following beautiful semi-classical duet from a Kannada film, sung by Yesudas and Vani Jairam. I thought I'd share it here with everybody - "veene nanna maanasa veene".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhoOEcNiuk

Naaz
2nd March 2012, 11:20 AM
What an amazing discovery at youtube (I hope I am not repeating myself with this link at this thread.) There is no other instrument in the song, just the voice. What one would call a clear, pitch perfect and astounding performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAGnAiIWlRw

Neel D
11th April 2012, 04:17 AM
All,

Heard that VJ and MSV are being honored in Malaysia this weekend. Please post if you have additional information.

Sunil_M88
5th May 2012, 04:39 PM
Vani Jayaram - Raag Kalyani

Hum Ko Man Ki Shati from Guddi (1971) composed by Vasanth Desai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbchuCfqBls

tvsankar
6th May 2012, 12:11 AM
NIce song. Thank u Sunil..........

Naaz
11th May 2012, 09:01 PM
VJ was felicitated at Tamizhar Thirunaal in Malaysia last month. This is a fine commentary and compilation of her achievements and songs (many song clips are part of the video.) There is a line in the commentary about Bharatiyar and VJ...a perfect comparison of language and articulation!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCg15kE2g4s&feature=relmfu

Naaz
13th May 2012, 09:18 PM
Odisha Chief Minister Honours VJ, Ilayaraja...in Chennai:
Harmonious ties among States indispensable, says Jayalalithaa
CHENNAI, May 12, 2012
Special Correspondent
Caption:Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik honouring musician Vani Jayaram at a function in Chennai on Friday. Chief Minister Jayalalithaa is in the picture.

A definite and very high level of inter-dependence [among States] is emerging in a situation wherein they need to act together and prosper together by a “well understood system of bilateral relations under which the outcomes would lead to a larger collective benefit,” Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said on Friday.

Laying the foundation stone of the Odisha Bhavan [that will come up in Velachery] at a function here in the presence of Odisha Chief Minster Naveen Patnaik, Ms Jayalalithaa said: “In the present system of multi-level governance, operating within a federal structure like that of India, harmonious relations with other States are indispensable.”

The function also marked the 76 anniversary of the foundation of the State of Odisha.

Indicating that the areas of inter-State cooperation would include water, environment, transport, tourism, agriculture and law and order, the Chief Minister said “law and order, especially, becomes an important matter, in the wake of terrorist activities, drug trafficking and general maintenance of public order.” The regional inter-State co-operation had been the ‘touchstone' of development indices and the States were not isolated from each other's growth impulses.

Announcing that the State government had given five grounds of land in Velachery for the project of Odisha Bhavan, Ms Jayalalithaa assured Mr Patnaik of her government's cooperation for the expeditious construction of the Bhavan.

Tracing the ties between the States of Tamil Nadu and Odisha, she said the Cholas had left behind a lasting legacy in the two States and their patronisation of art, architecture and literature extended as far as Cambodia and Indonesia. “Odisha has maintained her political vigour with successive powerful ruling dynasties and achieved a distinction of her own, within the wider intricacies of Indian civilisation.”

Receiving the first copy of a souvenir published by the Utkal Association of Madras from his Tamil Nadu counterpart, Mr Patnaik spoke of how the two States occupied places of pride in the country and referred to their glorious traditions in the fields of art, music and dance.

Quoting recent studies on the growth of his State, he said the high growth was not limited to coastal areas, which were comparatively better off, but also in other parts of the State. The increase in longevity of people was witnessed among tribals too, who accounted for a quarter of the State's population. He also said his State had the maximum number of tribes – 62 – in the country.

Thanking Ms Jayalalithaa for the decision to give land for Odisha Bhavan, Mr Patnaik said the Bhavan would fulfil the long-felt desire of people of his State who were visiting Chennai for various purposes. Debendranath Sarangi, Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary, who hails from Odisha, said even now, the administrative set-up in the southern part of Odisha resembled the administrative hierarchy prevalent in Tamil Nadu. He recalled how Rajendra I, the great son of Rajaraja Chola, came to be known as “Gangaikonda Chola” or the Chola conqueror of the River Ganga after crossing Kalinga (corresponding to the modern Odisha) and Bengal and defeating two local kings.

The Eastern Ganga rulers strengthened their dynasty by marrying Chola princesses. Anantavarma Chodaganga Deva, the grandson of Vijarajendra Chola, began building the great Jagannath temple at Puri at the end of 11 Century. The term Chodaganga alluded to the dynasty's Ganga and Chola heritage, Mr Sarangi said.

Ms Jayalalithaa honoured Aruna Mohanty, renowned Odissi dancer,and Sudarshan Patnaik, sand sculpture specialist, while her Odisha counterpart felicitated Vani Jayaram, musician and Ilayaraja, film music director. Among those who spoke were Khirod Kumar Jena and N. R. Patnaik, president and secretary of the Utkal Association.

THE HINDU - MAY 12, 2012

Naaz
14th May 2012, 10:12 PM
Here's the link to the article in The Hindu:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/tamil-nadu/article3409214.ece

Neel D
4th August 2012, 07:42 PM
http://reviews.in.88db.com/images/aiac-awards/vani-jayaram-at-aiac-awards-2012.jpg

All India Achievers Conference Award for VJ (http://reviews.in.88db.com/index.php/photogallery/eventsparties/17692-shobana-vivek-at-aiac-awards-for-excellence-stills?p=16)

Another link (http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/article3696305.ece)

Naaz
28th August 2012, 09:28 PM
A famous Ghazal by a famous poet sung with astounding precision and grasp of the Urdu language by VJ -- live on BBC and mastered by heart! (How does she do it?! Tradition and nuance intact!) Such a delight to find this on youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_lTyUPWg_M

SVN
28th August 2012, 11:07 PM
Naaz,
Rare find indeed. Many thanks. What clarity of diction and what effortless rendition and such simplicity!
Today's generation has to learn umpteen number of lessons from this legend.

Naaz
28th August 2012, 11:31 PM
SVN -

My pleasure (and am really glad share it with you!). The simplicity is godly! Just harmonium, tabla and - I don't know the name of the other instrument. And the purity of voice carries the whole ghazal to such sublime heights. A traditional behtak at the BBC studio! I could listen to this all day....and then some. At the end of the clip, there is a visual video list. Please click on Mora Sajan (the visual has Meena Kumari with a daunting ear-ring.) That's a traditional Thumri from the film Pakeezah (and was used in the background for a few scenes in the film. The main "feature" songs were all by Lata Mangeshkar.) It is another amazing example of VJ's artistry and excellence.

SVN
31st August 2012, 12:39 AM
Naaz, guess what? I clicked the very same link, intrigued by Paakizah and Vani's name and was hooked. Never knew she had sung for this classic film, as popular media never went beyond promoting Lata's 'Chalte Chalte'.

The line Jhoote Kasme Khaaye... Wooh! Killer rendition!

In fact I continued listening to pretty much all the visual links, including the short clips of her singing in Shanmukhananda Hall for Filmfare awards.

All these so-called talent shows never have had any 'rounds' honoring legends like Vani. They never go beyond the Mangeshkars, sadly! Today's audience seems to have least exposure to Vani's gems from Gulzar-Ravishanar's Meera!

Naaz
11th September 2012, 05:52 AM
SVN -

Pakeezah had a background score of some beautiful Thumris sung by Rajkumari, Parveen Sultana and Vani Jairam. Please search "Lost Thumris of Pakeezah" on Youtube and you will find them in one full segment. Just discovered that "Maut Bhi Furqat..." is also a Thumri by VJ from the same film!

Here's another soft and charming duet of VJ with Mohd. Rafi from the film "Shaque" (MD: Vasant Desai. The clip incorrectly lists this as an Asha - Rafi duet.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqw4n3E8eA

Naaz
11th September 2012, 05:53 AM
And here's how the duet appeared on film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPtQ5_XXT88&feature=related

SVN
18th September 2012, 06:36 PM
Naaz, many thanks for the links to these hidden treasures. The number from Shaque is very unique. I am not sure if Vani has done any such number in Hindi.

Naaz
24th September 2012, 05:02 AM
SVN -

You are welcome. It is wonderful to discover some of these rare tunes now, all thanks to the internet and youtube. Here's another good duet of VJ with Mohd. Rafi. (VJ appears around 04:00, and towards the end.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imEQVKcLqh0

SVN
25th September 2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks Naaz. I am listening to this rare gem for the first time. Do you know that she was Parveen Babi's voice in her first film as solo heroine? The film was "Dhuen Ki Lakeer". She has a duet with Nitin Mukesh, "Teri Jheel Si Gehri Aankhon Mein". The song became a hit though the film didn't. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjNfX1FFajo

When was the last time Vani sang for a Hindi film?

Naaz
8th October 2012, 10:53 PM
SVN -

I was going to post that link next! :) It is a lovely tune and,as you say, the film did not fare well. But this song is still cherished!
Vani Jairam's last commercial hindi film song (excluding dubbed features) was for Jaya Prada in this film. I think it was 1984? Enjoy! I'll share more as and when I find them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLo6ofyqAw8

Naaz
10th October 2012, 06:39 PM
SVN -

Here's another energetic duet composed by O P Nayyar, and VJ matches the mighty Rafi -- note for note! All the songs in this film were by VJ. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0NkcgkOI9k

Neel D
11th October 2012, 05:40 AM
Nice songs. Thanks Naaz & SVN.

Naaz
11th October 2012, 07:35 PM
Neel D -

You are welcome. The thanks really belongs to music connoisseurs who post such lost gems (audio / video) on youtube. But the delight of sharing these discoveries is all mine! :)

SVN
12th October 2012, 11:05 PM
Naaz
I had heard Yesudas' rendition of Dheere Dheere Subah Hui.. Didn't know the female version by Vani existed until now. What a breezy melody!

Neel D
5th November 2012, 12:27 AM
Clip from msvtimes.com event...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_DUfQ10XSU

Naaz
6th November 2012, 08:36 PM
Neel D -

Nice to see this clip from MSVTimes. Thanks for sharing.

SVN -

This is the Hindi version of "Senthoorappoovae" from Solva Sawan. MD: Jaidev. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLUtuz_x9lA

Naaz
26th November 2012, 06:54 AM
This show was recorded in 2011.
It is a marvel that VJ can still hit the high notes. How old is she? 68 or? SPB is impressed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmA7QuxTCQ&list=UUXG8Bsr8rOTE8JvdEXT1nLg&index=42&feature=plcp

Neel D
29th November 2012, 09:55 PM
Serenading a dream - Article from Indian Express by Janani Sampath

http://newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/article1358927.ece

mahen01
1st December 2012, 03:00 PM
Has anyone got Nallai muthal unakagave nan paduven from nenjamellam neeye? If you guys find the mp3 please post the link. Im trying to find this song forever..

ssp_s
3rd December 2012, 04:24 PM
Has anyone got Nallai muthal unakagave nan paduven from nenjamellam neeye? If you guys find the mp3 please post the link. Im trying to find this song forever..
Hi Mahen01,

Please find the link....
http://www.mediafire.com/?gzzvodowdfl

-SSS

Neel D
16th December 2012, 02:09 AM
Bharathiyar Award for Vani Jairam

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/With-another-award-in-her-kitty-Vani-Jairam-sings-on/articleshow/17563379.cms

Naaz
16th December 2012, 10:35 PM
Neel D -

Such good news! VJ is an absolute inspiration, and to be awarded the "Mahakavi" Award...what an honor! Thanks for sharing the link.

Naaz
21st December 2012, 08:50 PM
Two Matchless Legends in Rehearsal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qpAp4NyPyk

Naaz
24th December 2012, 11:10 PM
Neel D -

Back in the loop, and you have to show me a way out of it! :-)

"Oorengum Unnai Thedudho, Maegangal Andha Vaanilae..." Has it been featured? Which film? CB or S-G? Help! :-)

Neel D
25th December 2012, 06:34 AM
Naaz,

Thanks for the VJ-RS clip. It is really a rare one.
"Oorengum" has not been featured. Don't remember the details. If I dig up my old song lists from under all that paper under all those cardboard boxes I may find the details. :)

priya32
25th December 2012, 07:06 AM
ஊரெங்கும் உன்னைத் தேடுதோ
மேகங்கள் அந்த வானிலே
மழைநாளிலே குடையானவள்
நனைகின்றதே கண்களே

Movi: kai naattu
Unique MD: Chandrabose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3JAd0NHZhY

Naaz
25th December 2012, 11:10 AM
Neel D / Priya32

It is really nice to see such clips of great artistes at work. A behind the scenes look of how it all came about...ellaam youtube mayam!

When I get into these loops, I get the full import of what "needle in a haystack" really means. It is the weirdest thing when such lines come out of nowhere and then my mind just doesn't quit. But Priya spared you a whole lot of work.
So thanks to you both for these quick responses. All happily looped for now!

Kannan Ennum Kalvan Kaiyil PorKalam. The kind of line that VJ relishes working. CB gave us so many soft and memorable tunes, all produced within a quarter of finances and arrangement that other higher paid musicians of that time commanded. I was actually looking for Ilamaiyin Ninaivugal Aayiram the other day on youtube...aappudla :(
Merry Christmas to you and tfmpagers!

Naaz
18th January 2013, 12:13 AM
38 years later: just the violin, the mridangam, the ghatam, the tambura...and Vani Jairam. What an artiste!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ml62t1fPhU

Neel D
18th January 2013, 10:14 PM
Naaz, that is a nice clip. Thanks for posting.

Neel D
6th April 2013, 12:03 AM
Just what the caption says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc_gcwA4W1U

Naaz
30th April 2013, 09:45 PM
Neel D -

30 years later...

This is 1981:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPW320F3Fr8

This is 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8E3_IVyLrQ

Neel D
2nd May 2013, 12:55 AM
Naaz,

Thanks for the links. Both versions are lovely with so many years between them.
Srividya... pretty in pink!

Naaz
27th May 2013, 05:09 AM
R.I.P., the great TMS. Mortal Man; Immortal Voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqFp9rzqVM

Neel D
22nd July 2013, 07:42 AM
Filmfare South Lifetime Achievement Award for VJ

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/kannada/news-interviews/Vani-Jairam-reminisced-about-seeing-an-8-year-old-Rahman/articleshow/21218346.cms

Neel D
4th August 2013, 08:56 AM
Tribute to V. Dakshinamoorthy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ACVSpbgpdGc

raagadevan
5th August 2013, 12:43 AM
Collection of Dakshinamoorthy Swami's Malayalam compositions sung by Vani Jayaram (25 songs):

http://en.msidb.org/listSongs.php?tag=Search&musician=V%20Dakshinamoorthy&category=singers&artist=Vani%20Jairam&limit=19&page_num=1

Naaz
26th August 2013, 11:51 PM
Just found this on Youtube and had to share...enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEAdCEAKFnM

Neel D
20th October 2013, 06:25 AM
Tribute to Raghavan Master.
Classic song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUX_9OCJCCk

Naaz
10th November 2013, 11:59 PM
Neel D -

Found it after 30 + years! I remember madhu mentioning this a few years ago...Long live Youtube! Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZvT0J4OC4

rajeshkrv
10th December 2013, 10:00 PM
PS award presented to VJ

http://www.raagalahari.com/localevents/6446/5/p-susheela-award-2013-vani-jayaram-photos.aspx

Naaz
8th January 2014, 11:24 PM
Thank you rajeshkrv for sharing the link to this event. Lovely to see PS, LRE and VJ on the same stage.

Naaz
8th January 2014, 11:27 PM
THE LEGENDS ARE BACK!

This song clip got 1 lakh hits in just three days of posting! (according to the data / comments)
A beautiful tune, realized perfectly by VJ and PJC. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MSxbBWZJn4

Neel D
9th January 2014, 06:14 AM
Wow! Thanks Naaz! The legends are back and they prove why they are legends.

Thanks rajeshkrv!

Naaz
11th January 2014, 12:58 AM
Neel D -

What a magical song it is! The best part: Voices rule! Refreshing to hear something soothing after all the noise that so overpowers TFM these days (and not just TFM.)
Also heartened by all the genuine comments and appreciation that follow the Youtube link. Really hope this "softer" trend lingers!

Neel D
17th January 2014, 01:23 AM
Naaz,

The clarity and enunciation in this song is simply not present in songs made these days. Not to mention the soothing arrangement. It is so refreshing to hear Olanjali Kuruvi. Apparently the song has made it to the "Top" charts in Kerala.

Naaz
17th January 2014, 11:34 PM
Neel D -

So true.
Glad to hear that it is hitting the charts in Kerala. A good "enunciated" counterpoint to have in the mix.
Made me go back and listen to other duets by the duo: Poonthendrale Nalla Naeram Kaalam, Paadu Thendrale Puthu Manam Vanthadhu, Muthu Rathamo Mullai Charamo...
I am thrilled for the revival, actually!

Naaz
28th January 2014, 01:12 AM
Neel D -
I just googled "Malayalam top 10" and look what I found! It is # 1 in Kerala!
http://www.currentbooks.com/top-ten-malayalam-songs.html

Naaz
11th February 2014, 12:26 AM
Neel D -

Another find on Youtube today. A Bahadur Shah Zafar ghazal! Nicely arranged by Quincy (yaar ivar?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6cxamYHck

Neel D
14th February 2014, 09:32 PM
Very nice ghazal. Googled and found that Quincy Chettupally is mainly a devotional album composer/singer in Telugu. Good work!

tfmlover
25th February 2014, 09:20 PM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/VJ/VJ_zps9fbf6fa3.jpghttp://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/VJ/vani_zps8f507d19.jpg

Regards

Neel D
13th March 2014, 12:47 AM
Thanks TFMLover. That is a nice vintage cover. Though the same compilation is available now on CD the vinyl records have their own charm. I even loved the smell of those vinyl records fresh out of the factory. They would actually retain that fresh plasticky smell for years.

Naaz
10th April 2014, 01:50 AM
tfmlover -

Love these lost treasures you unearth! Thank you for sharing that album cover.

Neel D -

VJ & SPB let it rip....LIVE from a performance late last year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOgQ6njptic

Neel D
10th April 2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks Naaz. But when I click on it, it says that the video will not play in my country. :(

Naaz
10th April 2014, 10:54 PM
That is unfortunate, Neel.
The clip is a live performance of the duet "Ningi Nela" from the Telugu film "Pooja."
This duo still holds such magic!

tfmlover
30th May 2014, 03:27 AM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/VJ/vj_zpsf815c751.jpghttp://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/1tfml/VJ/vj1_zps69970966.jpg

Regards

Neel D
8th June 2014, 10:10 PM
Very nice! Thanks tfmlover!

Neel D
15th June 2014, 01:25 AM
New song???

If you go to the Music section of this wiki page apparently VJ has recorded a new film song in Tamil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaviya_Thalaivan

Naaz
15th June 2014, 09:01 PM
Neel D -

How wonderful is that! And here's the latest interview to go with it:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City/Bhubaneswar/Success-comes-with-discipline-dedication-devotion/articleshow/35741045.cms

Naaz
15th June 2014, 09:18 PM
Oh, and she's back! A beautiful devotional for Ramesh Vinayagam's "Ramanujan"! Divine!

The first track in this jukebox:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFe1_urFInM

Neel D
16th June 2014, 12:13 AM
Naaz,

Are you serious? VJ is back in TFM and the song made it to the CD??? It must be snowing in Chennai... in the middle of June!

Neel D
16th June 2014, 12:37 AM
Just finished listening to the whole Ramanujan album. It is lovely! The instrumentation takes one back a hundred years ago. Nice work by Ramesh Vinayakam. All tracks are lovely!

Naaz
16th June 2014, 12:42 AM
Neel D -

LOL. Yes, orey snow dhaan ponnga! :)
VJ always astonishes, even at her age she is able to deliver such perfection.
Yes, the album is beautiful in its "authentic" period ambience. Good attention to detail by RV.
I discovered it only after reading the interview in TOI. Just checked Youtube, and there it was!

Neel D
17th June 2014, 05:19 AM
Cannot find a thread on "Ramanujan" album. So posting this link here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv5ttYHGCcs

Naaz
18th June 2014, 07:34 PM
"Veteran Vani Jayaram is still in incredible form in Narayana, a resonant bhajan that is constructed beautifully to reflect the form of music prevalent in the beginning of the century, steeped in classical music but also a peekaboo strings orchestra."
Full CD review here:
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2014/06/11/ramanujan-music-review-tamil-ramesh-vinayagam/

Another:
Narayana – Vani Jayaram, Karthik Suresh (CINEMALEAD'S PICK)
"The album begins in style, to the charming vocals of none other than Vani Jayaram in the track Narayana. Set to the divine lyrics of Amarar Vaali, this song brings about the positive vibes right away. The orchestrations are well panned out, perfectly synchronized on the Carnatic scale."
http://www.cinemalead.com/musicreview-id-ramanujan-music-review--ramanujan-songs-review---music-review311.htm

And another:
"Vani Jayaram sounds absolutely breathtaking in the blissful bhajan Narayana, the arrangements too appropriately complementing the serene composition."
http://therarefied.blogspot.ca/2014/06/music-review-ramanujan-tamil.html

Neel D
19th June 2014, 05:41 AM
Ramanujan Audio Launch at Suryan FM - Images from IndiaGlitz.com

http://icdn.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/ramanujan14614drf/Ramanujan-AudioLaunch_1464_12.jpg

http://icdn.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/ramanujan14614drf/Ramanujan-AudioLaunch_1464_2.jpg

http://icdn.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/ramanujan14614drf/Ramanujan-AudioLaunch_1464_4.jpg

http://icdn.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/ramanujan14614drf/Ramanujan-AudioLaunch_1464_3.jpg

http://icdn.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/ramanujan14614drf/Ramanujan-AudioLaunch_1464_8.jpg

http://icdn.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/ramanujan14614drf/Ramanujan-AudioLaunch_1464_7.jpg

http://icdn.indiaglitz.com/tamil/gallery/Events/ramanujan14614drf/Ramanujan-AudioLaunch_1464_1.jpg

raagadevan
23rd June 2014, 08:10 AM
Of music and mathematics

Veteran singer Vani Jayaram’s rendition of ‘Narayana’ in the album has been hailed by many. Talking about her experience, she says, “I was initially surprised when he (Ramesh) gave me a song whose pitch (shruthi) was less than what I usually sing in. Just when I was thinking about why he gave me a song when I could very well do much more, I came to know that, in the days of Ramanujan, people only sang in that pitch.”

http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/of-music-and-mathematics/article6136695.ece?homepage=true

Naaz
23rd June 2014, 08:41 PM
"Composer Ramesh Vinayakam gets everything spot on in the bhajan Narayana Narayana – a simple and retro classical-based tune, an arrangement that sees glorious use of strings (of which this is just a preview of what comes later), and a lovely combination at the vocals; that of the doyenne Vani Jayaram (one song in 1983 earlier this year, one to come in Kaaviya Thalaivan; glad to see the lady back in action and still sounding fab) in the first half and the boy Karthik Suresh in the latter."

http://www.musicaloud.com/2014/06/22/ramanujam-music-review-tamil-movie-soundtrack/

Naaz
26th June 2014, 08:21 PM
"Kannadasan Award" For Vani Jairam, June 2014
http://epaper.newindianexpress.com/293885/The-New-Indian-Express-Coimbatore/25-06-2014#page/17/2

Naaz
11th July 2014, 07:42 PM
"Of the few things to like about "Ramanujan", Ramesh Vinayakam's music is life affirming. It is in sync with the era in which the film is set, oscillating between classical music and tunes of strings.

A refreshing bhajan by Vani Jayaram in the beginning is one of the best tracks of the album."

http://tamil.way2movies.com//newssingle_tamil/Ramanujan-Movie-Review-3-299146.html

"One of the major highlights of the film is Ramesh Vinayakam’s music, totally in sync with the mood of the film. The bhajan rendered by Vani Jayaram “ Narayana..” and picturised on Suhasini a music teacher is a gem."

http://www.sify.com/movies/ramanujan-review-tamil-15057959.html

raagadevan
31st July 2014, 06:38 PM
Voice and versatility

-By Malathi Rangarajan; The Hindu, July 31, 2014

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/singer-vani-jairam-has-reentered-the-tamil-film-scene-with-ramanujan/article6267586.ece?homepage=true

Naaz
2nd August 2014, 08:33 PM
Nice piece on VJ. Thank you for sharing, raagadevan.

Here's the other new Malayalam song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugDwt9inmnc

Naaz
18th August 2014, 07:03 PM
Kaaviya Thalaivan / Vani Jairam / AR Rahman
-------------------------------------------
"Thiruppugazh : Singer - Vaani Jayaram, Lyrics - Saint Arunagirinathar

This little but pivotal song comes off from the Thiruppugazh itself, written by Saint Arunagirinathar. A completely classical bit, sung to perfection by none other than Vaani Jayaram. Rahman keeps the instrumentations minimal along with the timely use of chings, but this is otherwise a song which is dominated by the charming rendition."
http://cinemalead.com/musicreview-id-kaaviya-thalaivan-music-review--kaaviyathalaivan-music-review--music-review346.htm

"Thiruppugazh Voice: Vani Jayaram Lyrics: Saint Arunagirinathar

One of the most celebrated yesteryear voices has been brought back to Kollywood retaining all the freshness, wrapped in her all-so-sweet voice, for the unparalleled classic - Thiruppugazh. Set to an enchanting tune supported by gentle veena and mridangam, this track in Vani Jayaram's voice is a refreshingly divine revisit to the holy praise. Taking only a 2-minute excerpt from the voluminous Thiruppugazh, this one is a perfect interjection of prayer in a period-set album. Put your hands together."
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/18493.html

"Thiruppugazh

Singers: Vaani Jayaram

Lyrics: Arunagirinathar

Vaani Jayaram is back! And how? With a soulful rendition of an excerpt from Thiruppugazh. This number is just a short, prayer song accompanied by mild instrumentations just around two minutes. And yeah, Vaani Jayaram is sounding just like as she did in her golden days!"

http://www.sify.com/movies/kaaviya-thalaivan-mesmerizing-music-by-ar-rahman-news-tamil-oisqlJdajagdf.html

You can listen to all the tracks here:
http://www.moviecrow.com/listen/1536/kaaviya-thalaivan/thirupugazh/QIz7xoUR2wM

Neel D
19th August 2014, 03:20 AM
Beautiful rendition by VJ! Such clarity and purity!

Neel D
24th August 2014, 10:40 PM
Naaz, the link you provided is not working anymore. So, here is a working link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T5kcPXepVw

Naaz
8th November 2014, 11:02 PM
Here's the Malayalam version of Eevinai Naervizhi...Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvvaU8z49g

Neel D
9th November 2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks Naaz. But the video won't play in my country. That is what it says when I click on it. :(

Naaz
10th November 2014, 09:36 PM
Neel D -

That's unfortunate. I am sure the track is available on some Malayalam Film Music site?

And here's another bit of good news: Asiavision Awards 2014: Best Female Playback Singer: Vani Jairam for Olanjali Kuruvi (1983). Award to be presented at a gala in Sharjah, UAE, on November 14 2014.
Full list of winners here:
http://www.keralatv.in/2014/11/asiavision-awards-2014-winners/

Naaz
7th December 2014, 01:24 AM
Vayalar Award conferred on Vani Jairam, Arjunan Master and Sreekumaran Thampi, November 2014.
All photos here:
http://www.kerala9.com/event/vayalar-ramavarma-music-award-2014-photos/35548/vani-jayaram-at-vayalar-music-award-2014-photos-0049

Gana Kaladhar Award for Vani Jairam conferred by Bharat Kalachar, December 2014.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chen-events/artistes-honoured/article6649162.ece

Devarajan (MD) Award for Vani Jairam to be conferred next week in Cochin.
http://www.bignewslive.com/vani-jayaram-got-devarajan-award/#.VINgcMkXKDc

Neel D
15th December 2014, 04:47 AM
Vani’s magic never wanes

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/vanis-magic-never-wanes/article6682916.ece

Neel D
24th December 2014, 12:34 PM
Sathiya Vedham - nice devotional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFw8GcLgwfI

Naaz
10th January 2015, 08:54 PM
Gopi Sundar (MD - 1983 - Olanjali Kuruvi) talks about the recording of the chart buster duet: "Vani Jairam rendered the song in a single take, two charanams and the pallavi. In my tenure as MD I have never witnessed such a thing."
Full interview (in Malayalam) here:

http://mathrubhuminews.in/ee/Programs/Episode/12047/gopi-sundar-and-his-songs-show-guru-episode-96/E

Neel D
15th January 2015, 08:56 PM
Vani Jairam receives Asiavision Movie Award for Best Playback Singer for 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvES_zLhz-E

raagadevan
6th February 2015, 07:58 AM
‘I can’t stop singing, it’s my life’

-By K. Pradeep; The Hindu, february 5, 2015

Vani is special because she can sing in a well-poised, sympathetic voice, without effort, with an ability to relate imagination to her voice and to sing with imagination.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/interview-with-vani-jaira/article6856193.ece?homepage=true

Naaz
17th February 2015, 07:06 AM
Neel D and raagadevan -

Thank you for sharing the clip and the link. Great to catch up with what I'd missed.

VJ's tribute to KB. Heartfelt praise, and she sings a medley of songs by her for his films (halfway through this episode).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoLI7sSHT6E

Music4Ever
21st February 2015, 11:32 PM
Vani singing that Ramanujan song. Awesome. She also sang a short number in the recent Kaaviya Thalaivan. Is she mixing the la and zha sometimes? Or is my Tamil not up to it?

Naaz
23rd February 2015, 02:27 AM
Music4Ever -

While you've answered your own question, here is the original verse by Arunagirinathar. You could follow the script while listening to the song and you will discover that VJ's rendition is immaculate.

"ஏவினை நேர்விழி மாதரை மேவிய
ஏதனை மூடனை நெறிபேணா
ஈனனை வீணனை ஏடெழு தாமுழு
ஏழையை மோழையை அகலாநீள்
மாவினை மூடிய நோய்பிணி யாளனை
வாய்மையி லாதனை இகழாதே
மாமணி நூபுர சீதள தாள்தனி
வாழ்வுற ஈவது மொருநாளே
நாவலர் பாடிய நூலிசை யால்வரு
நாரதனார் புகல் குறமாதை
நாடியெ கானிடை கூடியசேவக
நாயக மாமயி லுடையோனே
தேவி மனோமணி யாயிபராபரை
தேன்மொழி யாள்தரு சிறியோனே
சேணுயர் சோலையி னீழலி லேதிகழ்
சீரலை வாய்வரு பெருமாளே."

Music4Ever
23rd February 2015, 01:31 PM
Music4Ever -

While you've answered your own question, here is the original verse by Arunagirinathar. You could follow the script while listening to the song and you will discover that VJ's rendition is immaculate.

ஏதனை மூடனை நெறிபேணா
ஈனனை வீணனை ஏடெழு தாமுழு
ஏழையை மோழையை அகலாநீள்
வாய்மையி லாதனை இகழாதே
மாமணி நூபுர சீதள தாள்தனி
வாழ்வுற ஈவது மொருநாளே
நாரதனார் புகல் குறமாதை
நாடியெ கானிடை கூடியசேவக
நாயக மாமயி லுடையோனே
தேவி மனோமணி யாயிபராபரை
சீரலை வாய்வரு பெருமாளே."

Naaz, much appreciate it for supplying the heavy duty Tamizh lyrics by Arunagirinathar. Not much of a sen-Thamizh expert (although I scored 86 in my SSLC exam and was quite solid in Tamizh, but that was aeons ago!) but remember during my recent trip to India that one of my aunts was totally into Arunagirinadhar's Thirupugazh (?). Will listen to the song along with these lyrics.

Naaz
23rd February 2015, 10:54 PM
Music4Ever -

Yes, heavy duty Tamizh lyrics, indeed! :) My Senthamizh is somewhere between nowhere and non-existent, hence I too discovered the nuance and cadence of that Thirupugazh verse by following the script. It makes a huge difference! Do share your thoughts after this experiment? Thanks.

Music4Ever
24th February 2015, 05:16 PM
Music4Ever -

Yes, heavy duty Tamizh lyrics, indeed! :) My Senthamizh is somewhere between nowhere and non-existent, hence I too discovered the nuance and cadence of that Thirupugazh verse by following the script. It makes a huge difference! Do share your thoughts after this experiment? Thanks.

Honestly, I never looked at the lyrics when I heard the song, but, while hearing it, suspected a preponderance of la, `middle' la, and zha (using the basic SSLC-level senthamizh that I can boast off). I still have not listened to the song along with the lyrics and I intend to do so at my own leisure :) Thank you once again :)

Music4Ever
1st March 2015, 06:28 AM
Music4Ever -

ஏதனை மூடனை நெறிபேணா
ஈனனை வீணனை ஏடெழு தாமுழு
ஏழையை மோழையை அகலாநீள்
வாய்மையி லாதனை இகழாதே
மாமணி நூபுர சீதள தாள்தனி
வாழ்வுற ஈவது மொருநாளே
நாரதனார் புகல் குறமாதை
நாடியெ கானிடை கூடியசேவக
நாயக மாமயி லுடையோனே
தேவி மனோமணி யாயிபராபரை
சீரலை வாய்வரு பெருமாளே."

Almost impeccable except at one place where she says seethana instead of seethaLa. When I heard the song without lyrics I was not sure the word "mozhaiyai" (whatever that means) would follow "yezhayai". I was wrong. Excellent singing by Vani Jayaram, the lady who sang "machaane achaaram podu", and "thirumurugan aruginile valli kuraththi", if I recall correctly. Her voice is so good even now, as if time stopped for the last 40 odd years!

Naaz
2nd March 2015, 05:43 AM
Music4Ever -

Yes, I noticed that too. Made me think if the script was handwritten / typed by somebody and passed on to the MD? It could be an unintended scripting error / typo , perhaps? Of course, VJ would not have known the original verse to identify the error.

Love the way she emotes "Igazhaathae". A lovely word!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And thank you for mentioning Machchaanae and Thirumurugan. Paalabishekam and Mayor Meenaatchi? Could be wrong! :)

Here's another bit of news that came in today:

http://home.mykollywood.com/2015/02/05/dr-meena-muthaiah-vani-jairam-dr-elizabeth-verghese-many-women-achievers-honoured-raindropss-womens-day-8th-march/

Music4Ever
3rd March 2015, 10:44 AM
Music4Ever -

Yes, I noticed that too. Made me think if the script was handwritten / typed by somebody and passed on to the MD? It could be an unintended scripting error / typo , perhaps? Of course, VJ would not have known the original verse to identify the error.

Love the way she emotes "Igazhaathae". A lovely word!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. And thank you for mentioning Machchaanae and Thirumurugan. Paalabishekam and Mayor Meenaatchi? Could be wrong! :)

Here's another bit of news that came in today:

http://home.mykollywood.com/2015/02/05/dr-meena-muthaiah-vani-jairam-dr-elizabeth-verghese-many-women-achievers-honoured-raindropss-womens-day-8th-march/

Wow, you remember even the movie names. That was probably the time when parents used to take us only for Sivaji movies (Pattikaada pattanama, Gouravam, Thanga padhakkam etc)! Don't know when this fascination for Vani Jayaram's voice started, but I remember being enchanted with "Ezhu swarangalukkul" first and then later by many an MSV number with Vani Jayaram figuring majorly (recall the following immediately: Noolveli song that goes "Naana, paaduvathu naana?", Andha ezhu naatkal song that goes "Enni irunthathu eedera"). I guess I am conversing with a big-time fan so the examples I gave may not amount to much :)

Naaz
4th March 2015, 11:35 PM
Music4Ever -

There are other "big time" fans here on this thread with expansive knowledge and better memories - Neel D and Saravanan have no equal. When you have the time, I'd recommend reading the older posts on this the only VJ thread on TFMpage. It is a treasure trove of data, analysis, discussion, and VJ trivia. And all written with great thought and regard.

Noolveli also had another lovely duet (VJ-SPB): Veenai Sirippu, Aasai Azhaippu, Vedham Paadattumaa...

MSV offered some great solos to VJ: Pongum Kadalosai, Naadhamenum Kovililae, Veru Idam Thaedi Povaalo, Chandira Pirai Paarththaen, Mannulagil Indru Devan Irangi Varugiraar, Sugamaana Raagangalae...I could go on and on. :)

Here's a Sivaji movie memory for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esgIihpnriU

Music4Ever
5th March 2015, 06:58 AM
Naaz, yes, "Veenai sirippu" is always an enjoyable number from MSV. Since I have not heard it for about thirty odd years, I recall faintly the mridangam (or was it the guitar or a combination of both) interludes that MSV was famous for. Should watch it on Youtube to check whether my memory is playing tricks. How about Samudra rajakumari? Wasn't that by SPB and VJ? Ah, that mridangam after the opening words. Has Saravanan stopped writing? I used to read his write-ups long back (yes, I am a long-time follower of TFMpage but write sparingly). I also know that Neel D is a huge VJ fan.

rajraj
5th March 2015, 08:55 AM
I listen to Meera bhajans by M.S, VaNi Jayaram, Lata Mangeshkar and others.

This rendition of "E ri main to prem diwani...." by VaNi Jayaram was very moving. I thought I should post it here.

From Meera(1979)

E ri mein to prem diwani....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSKso9e1as

If you don't like Hindi songs let me know. I won't post any.

Saravanan has confined himself to Dhool ! :(

Naaz
5th March 2015, 08:23 PM
Music4Ever -

Here's a link to the Veenai Sirippu...Audio quality is below par, but still better to have it than not. If you can believe it, neither MSV nor VJ have been conferred with a "Padma" award -- not even a Padmasri. How odd is that?
Saravanan is a class apart. An archivist / fan / aficionado with a golden, flawless pen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPA2hBFLGic

rajraj -

That is divine. All songs from that film are. Thanks for sharing.

Music4Ever
6th March 2015, 01:44 AM
Naaz, Thank you for the link to that "veenai sirippu" song. How many times I must have heard this number by MSV those days! It is indeed a total travesty that MSV and VJ have not been conferred with the "Padma" awards. As MSV says whenever he gets the chance, however, "enakku makkal manadhil irundhaal podhum adhuve periya award". Remember the days I used to wait for Ninathale inikkum songs at 4 p.m. on Sunday evening (AIR). Used to count the number of times the instrumental closing (apologies for the inability to express it in a better way) of "adhisaya malar mugam thinasari pala ragam" occurred as the the song trailed off to its closure ... VJ and SPB again.

Rajraj, listened to the song that you posted. It is a soothing number. Thanks.

priya32
9th March 2015, 08:24 AM
Naaz, yes, "Veenai sirippu" is always an enjoyable number from MSV. Since I have not heard it for about thirty odd years, I recall faintly the mridangam (or was it the guitar or a combination of both) interludes that MSV was famous for. Should watch it on Youtube to check whether my memory is playing tricks. How about Samudra rajakumari? Wasn't that by SPB and VJ? Ah, that mridangam after the opening words. Has Saravanan stopped writing? I used to read his write-ups long back (yes, I am a long-time follower of TFMpage but write sparingly). I also know that Neel D is a huge VJ fan.

samudhra rAja Kumari!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu3xfmKFUSE

The mrithangam in this song and konjam malar manjam is the ultimate of MSV. I wish there was a video of 'konjum malar manjam'! :)

Music4Ever
10th March 2015, 05:58 AM
Thank you for the Samudra Rajakumari song. First ever time I am watching it! Such a good song spoiled by insipid filming. I heard that some parts of this movie were filmed in Melmangalam, a village near Periyakulam in Theni district. The village happens to be my father's native place and is within stone's throw of Vadugapatti (Vairamuthu's place)! Coming back to the song, it has all the MSV trademark elements -- mellifluous flute, trumpet, mridangam, and, of course, SPB and VJ! Traces of the Andha ezhu Natkal number "Kavidhai arangerum neram" are most evident from the beginning of the second interlude. Which movie is this "konjum malar manjam" from? I am surprised I cannot recall ever hearing it.

Music4Ever
10th March 2015, 06:09 AM
Naaz, Re the Malligai mullai poopandhal, the song is lovely, not so Sivaji's fooling around -- looks artificial. Maybe his character in the movie is such. Sivaji in Vietnam Veedu, Gowravam, Thanga Padhakkam, wow.

Music4Ever
10th March 2015, 06:16 AM
Deleted repost.

priya32
10th March 2015, 07:33 AM
Which movie is this "konjum malar manjam" from? I am surprised I cannot recall ever hearing it.

Never mind, I spoke too soon. I found the video. The song is in the following video clip, watch from 1:58!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noal7yOJszs

'manikka mattaayA' by KJY is a beautiful song which was very popular when the movie was out!

'aaduvadhu endha ammanO' is a SPB & SJ Combo song.

Naaz
10th March 2015, 09:54 PM
When I think of mridangam dominant tunes by MSV, I think for these two first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys9IuzHoW5U

And this one about a Mridangam Maestro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H70W7OTN--M

Music4Ever
11th March 2015, 05:49 AM
Priya32, how could I forget this song? Janani coincides with a period that was life-changing for me -- Twenty five years ago I initiated a process that would eventually allow me India-visits only during vacation breaks! Honestly, among various paraphernalia was also included a recorded cassette containing songs of Janani. Mannikka Maattaaya was my most favorite but "konjum malar manjam" was equally enjoyable. Thanks for the song that brings back old memories! Good mridangam but the tabla also joins in the fun later.

Music4Ever
11th March 2015, 06:08 AM
Naaz, "Kelviyin nayagane" and "Abhinaya sundari" are bonafide mridangam-laden semi-classical numbers from the MSV repertoire. No doubt about that. Awesome numbers, especially the first one, when one also considers the class of the actors (Major, Sri Vidya, Jayasudha,Kamal, and, of course, RAJINI, not to forget KB the director). Sri Vidya excels. What eyes. In contrast, Sulakshana's discrete (nowhere discreet, though) dance movements and lack of grace arguably spoil the viewing experience. However, it is much more fun when we encounter mridangam in songs that are not semi-classical (although they may be raga-based). For example, "Sri raman, sri devi, kalyaana vaibogham" had enjoyable mridangam, if I remember correctly. Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi also had that mridangam emphasis after VJ finishes her opening salvo. I am saying all this from memory, so I could be wrong. Mridangam when used in non-semi-classical numbers sounds refreshing and delectable. In semi-classical songs it sounds mundane :)

Naaz
11th March 2015, 10:08 PM
Music4Ever --

Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi...from Punniya Nadhigal? Wow, had not thought of this one in such a long time! Wonder if there's a link somewhere...will have to check Youtube.
I'm also thinking of "Mei Silirkudhu"...another unusual MSV composition -- half in Tamil and half in Malayalam. Maybe that one had Chendai in it? Don't recall the film right away, but it will come to me...
Thanks for reviving these memories!

priya32
12th March 2015, 05:54 AM
Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi...from Punniya Nadhigal? "Mei Silirkudhu"...another unusual MSV composition -- half in Tamil and half in Malayalam. Maybe that one had Chendai in it? Don't recall the film right away, but it will come to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk289l94sPI&list=PLUSRfoOcUe4Z-Ivh-kGbSc6vCfvlLE7Br&index=2

Wow! "Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi" is a fantastic song from Deiveega raagangal. The movie has 'paavai nee malligai' and 'Oduvadhu azhagu radham thEduvadhu iniya mugam' too!

"mei silirkkudhu manam thudikkudhu" from mookkanaankayiru. Yes, half Malayalam and half tamil song. Tamil part was sung by PJC & Vanijayaram sings Malayalam portion. Very nice one.

I remember writing lyrics for both songs on dhool.com, the website that vanished a few years back. I'm pretty sure that NeelD would have featured these songs in POTW thread! :)

Music4Ever
12th March 2015, 06:21 AM
Music4Ever --

Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi...from Punniya Nadhigal? Wow, had not thought of this one in such a long time! Wonder if there's a link somewhere...will have to check Youtube.
I'm also thinking of "Mei Silirkudhu"...another unusual MSV composition -- half in Tamil and half in Malayalam. Maybe that one had Chendai in it? Don't recall the film right away, but it will come to me...

Even I am surprised that the song "Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi" came out of nowhere! I haven't reflected about it in more than 2 decades. It came to my mind just like that when the discussion veered toward MSV and mridangam! Seriously! Should indicate the kind of MSV fanatic I was those days :)

Music4Ever
12th March 2015, 06:27 AM
Wow! "Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi" is a fantastic song from Deiveega raagangal. The movie has 'paavai nee malligai' and 'Oduvadhu azhagu radham thEduvadhu iniya mugam' too!

"mei silirkkudhu manam thudikkudhu" from mookkanaankayiru. Yes, half Malayalam and half tamil song. Tamil part was sung by PJC & Vanijayaram sings Malayalam portion. Very nice one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Truly fantastic and innovative mridangam usage in Ganga Yamuna Saraswathi, the type of music that used to (and still does) leave me ecstatic. VJ is awesome -- singing, Tamil delivery, everything. I have never heard the "mei silirkkudhu manam thudikkudhu" number. Another number I used to love was "Maan kanda sorgangal". The start still gives me goosebumps :) The drums in that song, wow.

priya32
12th March 2015, 06:42 AM
VJ is awesome -- singing, Tamil delivery, everything.

I hope you've heard VJ's solo "anbE pudhu kavidhaigal" from yaamirukka bayamen. This one is a whole package of both MSV & VJ.

I can listen to 'anbE pudhu kavidhaigaL' and SJ's 'kanavu onRu thOnRudhE' back to back for hours!

Music4Ever
12th March 2015, 06:56 AM
I hope you've heard VJ's solo "anbE pudhu kavidhaigal" from yaamirukka bayamen. This one is a whole package of both MSV & VJ.

I can listen to 'anbE pudhu kavidhaigaL' and SJ's 'kanavu onRu thOnRudhE' back to back for hours!

Yaamirukka bayamen strikes like it is the name of a movie. Am I correct? I will try to find it on Youtube :)
After about 1985 or so, I didn't have the opportunity of listening to MSV songs like I used to earlier. And then, save the random MSV-SPB-KB number (angum ingum paadhai undu; Raagangal padhinaaru; Maan kanda sorgangal; among others), I ceased listening to MSV numbers from about 1992 to until recently (ARR took over). Things started fading away slowly and surely :) This is nice that I can get back to listening to those golden oldies. Obligatory VJ reference: Did she sing "Malai rani mundhanai sariya sariya"? I believe so.

priya32
12th March 2015, 07:32 AM
Yaamirukka bayamen strikes like it is the name of a movie. Am I correct?

Did she sing "Malai rani mundhanai sariya sariya"? I believe so.

Right, yaamirukka bayamEn is the movie!

'malairaaNi mundhaanai'? VJ sings while Jolly Abraham hums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtNF9vvE4ZA

For some reason I'm reminded of 'mazhaikaala mEgam neer koNdu vandhu' from tharaiyil vaazhum meengaL by Chandrabose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwwQi0mb8yU

Naaz
12th March 2015, 08:56 AM
priya32 -

This thread is busy again!

I am sure I made up the name of the film! Panneer Nadhigal was a title, right? :) Deiveega Raagangal had Srikanth in the lead?

You might want to include En Dhaegam Amudham in that replay list. It is SJ at what she does best.

I am also reminded of Aaththoram Kodiveedu. Another percussive experiment by MSV. Alas, not uploaded on YouTube.

Naaz
13th March 2015, 08:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8IuCpcFII

Naaz
13th March 2015, 08:43 PM
priya32-

I always confuse Mookanaangayiru with Manal Kayiru! Which one had "Mandhira Punnagai..."? Manal Kayiru...guessing?

Music4Ever
14th March 2015, 12:17 AM
priya32-

I always confuse Mookanaangayiru with Manal Kayiru! Which one had "Mandhira Punnagai..."? Manal Kayiru...guessing?

Yes, Manal Kayiru. Was there a movie titled Mookanaangayiru?

Maarghazhi pookale
ilam thendrale
kaar megame
idam thedinen
kaangiren......

Lovely song. Avan aval athu.

priya32
14th March 2015, 04:57 AM
priya32 -

This thread is busy again!

I am sure I make up the name of the film! Panneer Nadhigal was a title, right? :) Deiveega Raagangal had Srikanth in the lead?

You might want to include En Dhaegam Amudham in that replay list. It is SJ at what she does best.

I am also reminded of Aaththoram Kodiveedu. Another percussive experiment by MSV. Alas, not uploaded on YouTube.

Panneer nadhigaL? You sure did make a movie name up! :)

Deiveega raagangaL had Srikanth & Vadivukarasi. I don't know any other detail on this movie. Well, I always had interest in listening to the audio than watching the movies.

en dhEgam amudham? Sure. "pon vaanam panneer thoovudhu innEram" "ponnaana nEram rAjA vaa vaa" 'maamaa maalai nEram unadhu yOgam aanandham"...I can go on and on when it comes to SJ's songs. It might not be fair to discuss her songs in this thread!

AathOram kodiveedu, the male's voice belongs to T.L.Maharajan. He sings the slogam part!

priya32
14th March 2015, 04:59 AM
Yes, Manal Kayiru. Was there a movie titled Mookanaangayiru?

Maarghazhi pookale

Lovely song. Avan aval athu.

All I know is, Karthik acted in mookkanaankayiRu.

Don't forget 'illam sangeetham adhil raagam samsaaram'!

Naaz
14th March 2015, 05:31 AM
Music4Ever -

Apparently there was a movie called Mookanaangayiru! I have no details here.

priya32 -

There was another song by VJ in Yaamirukka Bayamaen...do you recall the song I have in mind?

I am sure you've heard SJs "Yaar Maamano, Jodiyo..." from Vetrikku Oruvan? She rocks that one!

Aaththoram from Avan Aval Adhu was perhaps the most imaginative tune in that film. But it did not get to AIR -- banned! :)

Panneer Nadhigal was a real film! :) I remember Muththam Ennum Naavalin and Pani Vizhum Paruva Nila...I watched this one, but have no idea what it was about. Another love triangle, I think. Sivakumar, Amala and Jayashree...maybe R. Bhaskar was the director? He would did Theerpugal Thiruththappadalaam?
http://play.raaga.com/tamil/album/Panneer-Nadhigal-T0000979

priya32
14th March 2015, 05:49 AM
priya32 -

There was another song by VJ in Yaamirukka Bayamaen...do you recall the song I have in mind?

I am sure you've heard SJs "Yaar Maamano, Jodiyo..." from Vetrikku Oruvan? She rocks that one!

"yaar maamanO" this was it. I tried to remember this one a while back and it did not come to my mind, thank you. Oh my! The rhythm of this song, intoxicating!

Did you mean "naan kooppitta kuralukku Kumara nee vaaraamal" VJ & P.Suseela duet from yaamirukka bayamEn?

Naaz
14th March 2015, 06:12 AM
priya32 -

Yes, intoxicating is the word! Of course, AIR banned this one too! :)
Here it is, I just looked it up a few minutes ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5AFsIoTj2Q

No, not that duet from YB. I am thinking of another song...but cannot get the words. Maybe some other film?

Music4Ever
14th March 2015, 06:36 AM
Music4Ever -

Apparently there was a movie called Mookanaangayiru! I have no details here.

priya32 -

Aaththoram from Avan Aval Adhu was perhaps the most imaginative tune in that film. But it did not get to AIR -- banned! :)

Panneer Nadhigal was a real film! :) I remember Muththam Ennum Naavalin and Pani Vizhum Paruva Nila...I watched this one, but have no idea what it was about. Another love triangle, I think. Sivakumar, Amala and Jayashree...maybe R. Bhaskar was the director? He would did Theerpugal Thiruththappadalaam?
http://play.raaga.com/tamil/album/Panneer-Nadhigal-T0000979

Watched Aaththoram from Aval Adhu Idhu by looking up the movie on YouTube! Never heard of it until now. Not surprising since as you say it was banned :)

Music4Ever
14th March 2015, 06:44 AM
All I know is, Karthik acted in mookkanaankayiRu.

Don't forget 'illam sangeetham adhil raagam samsaaram'!

How can i forget Illam sangeetham :) Super song. I mentioned in some other thread that I had a chance meeting with MSV at Chennai airport around 2009 :) All my college life I used to rave about his songs. Here he was, now right in front of me, the very MSV. Nice experience. I lisped the "Ezhudugiral oru pudhu kavidhai" number from Thayumanavan (?). He and his wife were flying to Coimbatore that morning (we were headed to B'lore).

priya32
14th March 2015, 06:44 AM
priya32 -

do you recall the song I have in mind?

Is it 'ravikkai sElai vaangi thaarEn'? Or, 'pani thendral kaatrE vaa'?

priya32
14th March 2015, 06:47 AM
I lisped the "Ezhudugiral oru pudhu kavidhai" number from Thayumanavan (?).

Saranaalayam? Malaysia Vasudevan's solo!

Naaz
14th March 2015, 06:48 AM
Music4ever -

Ezhudhugiraal was from Saranaalayam...if memory serves me right.

Also had that Kaatrukkum Malarukkum Kalyanamaam. Nice duet.

priya32 -

Those are nice tunes. But I am not sure any more about this song that I have in mind...

priya32
14th March 2015, 06:49 AM
Naaz: I'm pretty sure you had 'karisal tharisu kazhani aachu' in mind, didn't you? :)

Music4Ever
14th March 2015, 06:50 AM
Saranaalayam? Malaysia Vasudevan's solo!

Yes, Charanaalayam, it is :) Thanks.