Naaz
23rd November 2005, 10:08 PM
RR -

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Coolgoose has morphed into Cooltoad? Aandava! :roll:

Ravi_odiyur
19th December 2005, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

Hope you had a chance to see the programme Sangamam on Vijay TV last Saturday (Dec 17th). This is a programme hosted by singer Mathangi featuring one or two singers each week. Last week it was Vani Jairam and I was immediately reminded of her fans in this forum (esp Naaz). Her vocal prowess has not diminished a bit with age (maybe due to the constant practice) and the range of songs that figured on the programme were also nice - included her film songs, ghazals (in diff languages) and other variety of songs. There is a repeat telecast on Sunday evenings too. But I guess that will be after a few weeks.

Ravi[/i]

Naaz
21st December 2005, 01:24 AM
Ravi_odiyur -

No, I did not get to see it, but would be great if you can share/provide more details about the programme and the list of songs etc. Thanks for sharing this bit of news, I had no idea about the show.

Neel D
7th January 2006, 08:08 PM
VJ was on Vijay TV again the Friday before New Year's on Sangeetha Sangamam. It was a half hour of semi-classical songs in various languages. Wish it had lasted one hour like it did for some other singers on the same programme series. VJ's performance was absolutely wonderful, as always.

Also VJ started off the New Year for Sun TV at 6:00 am with a devotional concert. I missed this concert unfortunately.

AV
24th January 2006, 08:50 AM
http://www.salilda.com/filmsongs/malayalam/aparadhi.asp

Enjoy two beautiful Malayalam duets by VJ - one with Jolly Abraham and one with KJY.

While these two duets are lovely, some songs have something in them to deserve the phrase "just out of this world", like the VJ-KJY duet below.

http://www.salilda.com/filmsongs/malayalam/raasaleela.asp

Naaz
25th January 2006, 08:57 PM
AV -

Thanks for the links. The duet with JA is typical SC: Melody with a built-in contrapuntal device! Brisk with JA and undulating with VJ - the move to Maamalaiyile...with the chorus, is inspired.

While at the SC site, I also discovered two solos by VJ for him in the film, Daisy. Click the hindi list to locate the songs.

Good to see you around here again.

Naaz
28th January 2006, 10:02 PM
Neel D -

I hope you don't mind if I continue the discussion of the Savitri song here.
Your analysis was contextual, and your take on the song was spot-on, particularly the emphasis on how "acceptance of fate" becomes the most benign form of violence for women like Savitri. That was truly the case in the film, a remake of Bharathan's "Payanam."

My reading of Kannadasan's lyric is perhaps a little more cynical than yours, and if you don't mind, I'd like to give you my precis on the verses of KD.

Right from the get go, the song establishes its cross-referential leanings. The text is The Ramayana, and KD wants to explore its contemporary ramifications. While the song is specific to Savitri's predicament in the film, it seems unimportant to the listener who knows nothing about the story. After all, the story that the song tries to deconstruct is a well known one, and that's the only requirement.

The song seems to validate the text on the surface, but under it lie a series of rhetorical strategies that are a true KD marvel.

We are taken into the song with a vow, yet KD immediately reminds the listener that that is from a book. Things in life are very different (in the film that turns out to be Savitri's marriage to a man old enough to be her grandfather) but still the path of literature is filled with such "role models" (mostly) for women.

The illusory (or unreal) nature of this adherence to mythology is further demolished when KD does not excuse even the deity Rama from implications of "choice." He who didn't know the difference between a fake deer and a real one, that "role model" is also made suddenly human. Fate or (In) Fallibility? A woman of 20 and a man of 55? As I said, the song is morally ambivalent throughout.

When antiquated notions of modesty and servility are the implied norm, then "marriage" becomes a defeatist enagagement. The influence of textuality is distilled first into an image of fertility - Gangaiyil Yamunaiyil Puthu Vellam..." - just the stage of youth and promise and abundance that Savitri holds within her, and KD instantly turns the verse into a forked tongue on those who would stand by and celebrate such a marriage as duty and not (in)justice. What is crucial is that everybody is following a certain textual "role model", both the givers and the givens in marriage.
"Managayar Vaazhnaalil Manavinai...Manathugal Kulirgindrana..."
It is interesting to note that Savitri does not include her own personal sense of "happiness" in her conclusion. How could such violence warm human hearts? She moves it outward, erasing her singularity and privileging plurality (note the collective in the above lyric) acknowledging her effacement in the name of "adherence."

"Mangalam Kuraiyaamal, Manjallum Azhiyaamal Vaazvathu Nalamallavaa?" Just as she has been "taught" to believe that she should seek happiness from "within," (even in the most oppressive and emotionally annihilating of circumstances from without,) Savitri ends the line with rhetorical ambiguity: "Nalamallavaa?" According to the texts, and those who fundamentally believe in it, yes, of course, it is for the good. But the interrogation here is of the Marriage=Duty/Obligation permise, and hence, more about Savitri's husband, the old man (and, quite literally, the "patriarch") and his power as "status-giver." And not just of him, but also of the chorus of high-priest backers who endorse this textuality through repetition:
"Manavinai Naalandru Vaethiyar Palar Sollum Manthiram Adhu Allavaa?"
Again, "isn't that what they say/chant?" (note the collective)

The song that begins with one big text, moves to another, bigger tome. Kannadasan makes Savitri both the subject and the object of that moral - albeit literary - standard in contemporary times, an exile without exit.

Now don't get me started on Savitri and all the mythic baggage that name carries! :D

Neel D
30th January 2006, 02:44 AM
Naaz,

Good post. My write-up was not necessarily an analysis. It was just an explanation of the way I saw it. When I say "it", I mean the song situation, the composition, the song lines and the rendition. I am not passing any judgement about Savitiri's story or fate. It was just an appreciation of the artistry involved in making that song.

As for Kannadasan's lines, I think he has well exposed the ugliness of the society which justifies unfair practices as values. Isn't that the purpose of the whole movie, anyway? Also, Kannadasan, or any film songwriter, should not be held accountable for the lines they write for film songs. Film songwriters are just trying to put together Director's thoughts and composer's ideas into few poetic lines under strict metrics. It is a very difficult job. Well, it used to be a difficult job up until some 15 years ago :-)

kingvj
30th January 2006, 04:11 AM
Hi,

Looooooong ago, there was a devotional album from VJ in which there are songs like 'Madurai Arasilangkiliye, oru mangala vaazhvenakku aliyaen'. Would be glad if someone has any link to download the same.

Also, any links for SJ devotional songs like 'annapoorani easwari, aadhi nee maheswari'... and LRAnjali album with songs like 'Kaanak kaana inbam tharum raathiri'.

TIA.

Vj.

rajeshkrv
31st January 2006, 01:48 AM
vanijayaram's musical night

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/gallery/Events/8991.html

Launch videos and enjoy

balaji
31st January 2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks rajesh!

By the way who is that SPB clone that was singing the songs?

Bala

Naaz
1st February 2006, 10:12 PM
rajeshkrv -

Thanks for the link. I'll watch the video sometime soon!

Neel D
3rd February 2006, 07:39 AM
rajeshkrv,

Thank you so much for the link.

AV
9th February 2006, 12:09 AM
I heard some of the clips, and VJ's alaap in "bole re papihara" was awesome. It was original (maybe a spontaneous improvisation?) as it's definitely not part of the original composition. Do give it a listen.

I haven't heard very many of VJ's live concerts, but there is a Bhajan sudha recording that I have been in love with. The song is Indira Namamu, in which VJ improvises a few lines.

Naaz
28th April 2006, 07:37 PM
Neel D / AV / All -

Have you heard about this?

http://www.fetna2006.org/programme.html

Has anyone here attended their past events?

Naaz

Neel D
29th April 2006, 09:29 AM
Naaz,

Yes, I have. It is a wonderful opportunity for music fans in North America. Book your tickets now!

Naaz
1st May 2006, 12:28 AM
Neel D -

I checked the website for fetna, but could find no info on concerts in other cities. I wonder if it is just one city? VJ and HR - would sure be nice to hear both of them sing a duet!

Neel D
1st May 2006, 03:50 AM
Naaz,
I don't know about concerts in other cities either. If I find out anything I will post it here.

Naaz
1st May 2006, 08:21 AM
Neel D -

There is a list of Tamizh Sangams at the website. I just thought they might organize some concerts on the west coast? :D

Just the other day I was listening to Ethirkaalamae Enadhu Kaiyile, don't know who the composer is. If it is SG, it is a real original that has been overlooked. A (cinematic) semi-classical, but done without too much adornment. A free-flowing arrangement, and no drums! What a nice solo! We should make a list of these rare ones that even VJ might/does not remember.

Keep me posted if get more info please.

Neel D
1st May 2006, 09:53 AM
Naaz,

Yes, "ethirkAlamE enathu kaiyilE" is a good song. I think it is from a Vijayashanti movie. Or, may be it is just my imagination.

Do you have any details on "mAligai AnAlum malarvanam AnAlum"?

Naaz
1st May 2006, 11:16 AM
Neel D -

Don't ask me why, but whenever I think Vijayashanti in tamizh, I think "dubbing" padam! :D Although her debut was a tamizh film!

Maligai...Malarvanam song is new to me! I knew I shouldn't start this, but a whole bunch of VJ songs have suddenly surfaced in my memory, thanks to the VJ-SPB week at the other thread.

"Kaadhal Ennum Palli Arai Naadagam Dhaan Sarasam" Have you heard this? I remember it was a Radha feature, can't recall the name of the film rightaway. And another one, "Iru Kannil Meenaatichiyo" a VK/Nalini duet, but no other details. One more and I'll stop for now, "Madhurai Nagarinile, Meenaal Ninaivinile (?)" this one had Nalini again...ok, maybe. :P

While the above are duets, here's a rare VJ solo for IR that's an asbolute zero on data "Oru Poongkodikku Aadai Katti..." Maybe...a VK film? :P

Neel D
1st May 2006, 06:52 PM
Naaz,
Two more lines... ring a bell?

mALigai AnAlum malarvanm AnAlum
jAnaki rAmanin pinnOdu - en
jAdhagam eppOdhum unnOdu

Naaz
1st May 2006, 08:25 PM
Neel D -

The problem sometimes is this: The words look flat on the screen, and unless I get the tune in my head, I cannot fit the words! It happens to me a lot when I see the first two letters of the POTW in the main home page. I have no idea what the words lead to, but when I hear the opening bars in my head, the whole verse falls into place (or plate) like a crisp, nonsticky waffle! However, that does not mean that I can simultaneously recall the title or actors or plots or MDs, even if I have the stuff noted down somewhere!
These days I have to look up stuff to remember! Must be those Memory pieces I've been working on for the Mag!
I still have no idea how the Maliggai Aanaalum line works as a tune...

Was wondering what it would be like if VJ / HR sang the SG duet "Mazhaiyae En Meedhu Thoovaadhae" Sounds nice already! :D :

Naaz
1st May 2006, 09:24 PM
Neel D -

Do Fetna record or televise their shows? I have no idea if these shows are televised (by Jaya, Sun etc) for local audiences? At least the whole event seems well organized on paper!

yvsmani
2nd May 2006, 05:48 PM
Naaz, Neel D : recently saw the song in Jaya tv, ethirkaalamae enathu kaiyilae. It was by Maadhavi and not vijayashanthi. the movie came in 82 / 83.

Neel D
2nd May 2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks yvsmani.

narayanan
2nd May 2006, 09:58 PM
Neel,
Is it the song from this page (http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/934.6859.02.29.28.html) (vazhga google ;) )

Few of my favourite VJ hits:

Malligai En Mannan (first song ?)
Ennullil Engo
Yaaradhu Sollamal Nenjalli
Inraikku Yein Indha
Kelviyin Nayagane

mathappadi..not aware of many of her songs. should read through this thread to know many.

Naaz
3rd May 2006, 01:44 AM
yvsmani -

You are correct. That song is from the film Sattaththukku Oru Savaal (dubbing?? :P ) featuring Maadhavi. I heard it few days ago, and I still had to look up the details. Chatt-nnu Nyabagam Varra Naalellaam Pochchu! :( These days I am glad if I can remember the first line of a song without listening to the tune!!

Thanks for the correction.

Neel D -

Ithuvarai Sivaraaththiri is another solo that is a good (obscure) one. Nobody seems to have it though!

rajeshkrv
3rd May 2006, 02:44 AM
That is the film which had TV actress Janavi as Madhavi's sister and banuchander as the hero/villain

Madhavi takes revenge on banuchander
( it was dubbed and remade few portions were shot in tamil too . this is clear if you observe the lip sync )

Neel D
3rd May 2006, 07:13 AM
So, I guess I wasn't far off when I said Vijayashanti.

narayanan - thanks for the link. That is the song I was talking about. Next time I will just google before I repeat questions that were already answered.

Naaz
11th May 2006, 08:06 AM
Neel D -

I found myself humming a VJ solo the other day, but could not recall the name of the film. All I remember is that it is the debut film of Ramya Krishnan :P Title?

The song goes:

Aaththora Nilavae
Aagaaya Malare
Eeraezhu Vayasae
Neeraaduthae
Koyil Koovum Thoppukkulae
Muththaththathin Saththangalo
Kaetum Muththaththin Saththangalo

Some of the lyrics could be my own in the above :shock:

I think it was composed by SG.

And while I'm on the subject of SG, have you heard (do you have) the duet: Hey, Maamaa Ponnu, Rosappovae Vaamaa Kannu, by VJ/TMS? It was a Radhika / Sudhakar venture. Title?

Neel D
13th May 2006, 07:47 AM
Naaz,

Ramya Krishnan's first film is Vellai Manasu. But I can't recall the song AththOra nilavE.

yE mAmA poNNu is from Ethir Veettu Jannal, correct? It was popular when it came out. There are some very rare TMS-VJ duets that many of us have never heard. I will try to bring a few of them out in the next few days. But here is a popular one for you to hum till then. "oru aRai koduththAl theriyum" from Ilaiya Thalaimurai.

antha aRai paLLi aRai Aga irunthAl....uhhhhhhh....

madhu
14th May 2006, 07:08 AM
Hi Neel

I recollect a beautiful duet by TMS, VJ. I forgot the film. can u help me "chozhanin magaLe vA, sunthara tamizhE vA, yEzhaiyin madi meedhu vA""

Rajesh : the film mentioned by you - madhavi/jahnavi/banuchander is "needhi devan mayakkam".. a remake of "insaaf ka tarasu"

Neel D
15th May 2006, 08:07 AM
Madhu,

I think we discussed chOzanin magaLE some time ago briefly. It is from the film "Nenjukku Neethi".

madhu
15th May 2006, 10:27 AM
thanks Neel.. I think I hv to go through the complete thread ! ( enna seyyaradhunga.. time illama pochunga)

Naaz
15th May 2006, 08:59 PM
Neel D -

Right on! Yes, Vellai Manasu is the film! I am sure that the solo is from VM.

Wasn't Ilaiya Thalaimurai another latter day Sivaji flop? I vaguely recall the song, but I have to hear it again to get the drift of the tune.

Madhu -

Have to go through the complete thread? You'd better apply for an extended sabbatical! :)

Neel D
17th May 2006, 06:53 AM
Naaz,

I think Ilaiya Thalaimurai was a flop but it was not that much latter day Sivaji. It is from 1977. It was covered in the Tamil Songs Chronology series by Saravanan.

I will look around for Vellai Manasu song.

Naaz
17th May 2006, 08:28 PM
Neel D -

Who was the female lead in Ilaiya Thalaimurai? Do you remember any other songs from the film? And while you are looking around for Vellai Manasu...may I urge you to go the distance and also find "Ilankuyilin Ilaiya Raagam" from Dhooram Athigamillai? :) This is one song I've been waiting to hear again for many years!

Also, do you know if Fetna is planning any VJ concerts on the north american west coast?

A much deserved thanks to your website! A producer from CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) heard the VJ interview from the site and called me yesterday. They said it was one of the best "music" interviews they had heard, and added that VJ was "passionately eloquent"! Thank you for making this interview available to the world at large!

madhu
17th May 2006, 11:05 PM
Hi Naaz !

heroine of Ilaiya thalaimurai is Vanisri.
one Sangeetha got introduced in this film.
Two more songs I remember - "kettaye oru kelvi nan varthaiyil badhil solla mudiyamal" - a TMS, PS duet and "oru naaL iravu thanimaiyil irundhen thirudan vandhan " a PS solo !

Naaz
18th May 2006, 06:54 PM
madhu -

PS-oda Oru Naal Iravu Thanimaiyil is from Ilaiya Thalaimurai? I would never have guessed! This film must have come around the time of Rojaavin Rajaa, Unakkaaga Naan...? Wonder why a fine artiste like Vanisri got stuck in the quicksand of bad and badder Sivaji films? Vaani Raani was perhaps the last hit with this pair?

Neel D
19th May 2006, 06:42 PM
Naaz,

I am glad to know that CBC appreciated the interview. It was your brainchild. Credit goes to you. Of course VJ was brilliant and eloquent as always.

I am not aware of any FETNA concerts other than the NY concert. I will post here if I have any information.

ramky
2nd June 2006, 07:15 AM
Topic started by avvaiyar (avvaiyar@hotmail.com) (@ 203.116.61.132) on Wed Jan 27 02:29:28 EST 1999.

I'm a new visitor to this website. I couldn't see anyone discussing about Vani Jayaram's songs.
Let me start this one.(It had been there previously pls. forgive me!)

"Ezhu swarangalukkul ethanai paadal..
Ithaya surangathul ethanai kelvi...
Vaazhum manitharukkul ethanai salanam.."

Wow! Beautiful voice!

its my favourite also. another song by her which i like very much - though in hindi - is "bole re papi hara".

Neel D
3rd June 2006, 06:50 PM
I recently discovered a TMS-VJ duet "kayalvizi pArvaiyilE" opening in TMS's voice. VJ's line begins "nAn nalla rasigai". Film is "thEn sittukaL". Does anyone have any details about this film or other songs from this film?

ramky,

Welcome to the thread. Is that you in the avatar?

Naaz
3rd June 2006, 11:15 PM
Neel D -

VJ is a TMS rasigai! She mentions her great admiration for him, and how overjoyed she was when she sang her first duet with him (interview.)
I think TMS should be just as proud to have a rasigai with VJs rasanai!
Have not heard the song you refer to...maybe if I hear it, it will all come back!

I was listening to Paalodu Thaen Kalandha Abishekam the other day. This duet takes an earthy turn at the end, and both the singers infuse it with such rustic fragrance...Do you know who the composer is? (KVM? Kunnakkudi? Or?)

ramky -

Welcome!

Naaz
4th June 2006, 11:40 PM
This interview clip was sent by Prabhu to the VJ egroup.

Click on the link below to listen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tamil/tamilfilmmusic53.ram

ramky
7th June 2006, 03:31 AM
I recently discovered a TMS-VJ duet "kayalvizi pArvaiyilE" opening in TMS's voice. VJ's line begins "nAn nalla rasigai". Film is "thEn sittukaL". Does anyone have any details about this film or other songs from this film?

ramky,

Welcome to the thread. Is that you in the avatar?

hi Neel D & Naaz ! Neel D : the avatar i had b4 was Keanu Reeves.

premananth
9th June 2006, 12:42 PM
Naaz,

KVM is the MD for the song you mentioned - pAlOdu then kalantha abishegam. Film NyAnakkulzhanthai - the story of Thirunyana Sambanthar. I don't know the name of baby artiste.

The same film have another gem by VJ "poothatu kamalam purinthathu kAraNam ponvaNduk kAga vendru".

other songs in NyAnakkulzhanthai:

1) Thodudaiya Seviyan - PS - baby artiste
2) Osai Kodutha - PS- baby artiste - dance by Gemini Ganesh & V.A.Nirmala
3) Poothathu kamalam - VJ - Sujatha
4) paLOdu then - TMS & VJ - Latha & Jai Ganesh
5) koLLimalai kAttukkule - LRE - Jayachithra (athiradiyaana , nalla bootham paattu)
6) mAsil vInaiyum & sotrunai vEthiyan - TMS - S.V.Suppaiah
7) few more

Friends, i owuld like to share something with you all.

I've interview VJ during her visit to Malaysia in 2002. I host her programme in KL too. During the interview I have asked her sing Nitham Nitham nelluchoru song but dhe refused. She said the lyrics are not that good and ignore it. But at last, in the medley she have sang the nitham -nitham as last song.

It's a nother great and golden time, I set beside her, interviewed and requested my favourite songs from my favourite singer. (another artiste was Aachi Manorama)

ramky
11th June 2006, 11:24 AM

Friends, i owuld like to share something with you all.

I've interview VJ during her visit to Malaysia in 2002. I host her programme in KL too. During the interview I have asked her sing Nitham Nitham nelluchoru song but dhe refused. She said the lyrics are not that good and ignore it. But at last, in the medley she have sang the nitham -nitham as last song.

It's a nother great and golden time, I set beside her, interviewed and requested my favourite songs from my favourite singer. (another artiste was Aachi Manorama)

premanath : Very nice to hear that you have interviewed Vani Jeyaram !
I just now watched Manorama's programme on Southern Spice - she recalled her trip to Singapore and Malaysia some time back and how the crowd there applauded joyfully when she spoke a few lines in Malay to them !

Btw "Nitham Nitham nellichOru" ( from "Mullum Malarum" ) featured Rajinikanth and "Fadafat" Jayalakshmi in the sequence. This was a
landmark film in which Rajinikanth and Sarath Babu acted together for the first time.

Naaz
11th June 2006, 09:20 PM
prem ananth -

Thank you for the details on the Paalodu duet. I have also heard the solo from the film, which is a rare one, and a good composition by KVM.

I'm delighted to hear about your interview with Vani Jairam. Thank you for sharing your memories about that encounter. VJ has great regard for her Malaysian and Singaporean rasikas, and makes it a point to mention this in her interviews in India/elsewhere. What show do you host in KL? Is it a radio programme? Can one listen to it on the internet? Please give me a few more details.

VJ has sung a duet with Manorama - Paarththaale Theriyaadho Naekku, Adiyae Sarasu... it's from Sri Raagavaenthar, I believe

madhu
11th June 2006, 10:47 PM
Ramky :

This was a
landmark film in which Rajinikanth and Sarath Kumar acted together for the first time.

adhu Sarath Babu illaiyO ? :roll:

premananth
12th June 2006, 08:23 AM
Ramky and Naaz,

It's my pleasure.

It was her solo stage performance. She has sang nice karnatic songs and few TFM songs. It was different feeling when hear the TFM songs with very few instruments - which using for normal kacheri. I still remember Muthamilzhil Paada Vanthen, Malligai En Mannan, Malligai Mullai, Meghame.... in the show.

Actually I just was a announcer for the show. But before that I've interviewed her for Local ASTRO (satellite TV) News. The Nitham Nitham incident happen during the interview time.

I have the photo which I've taken with her. Sorry I was rushed to the interview.

I've lost contact with the show producers. I try to get any visuals of the show. Kindly be patient. I'm too eager to watch it.

In my 5 years experience in the Broadcast line, there were three visits by Aachi to Malaysia and I have interviewed her twice where one for news and onther was special one hour interview.

In all her Malaysia visits she has spoken in Malay during the stage performances.

premananth
12th June 2006, 08:52 AM
Sorry friends,

I don't know how to insert the photo.

ramky
12th June 2006, 09:59 AM
Ramky :

This was a
landmark film in which Rajinikanth and Sarath Kumar acted together for the first time.

adhu Sarath Babu illaiyO ? :roll:

madhu : athu Sarath Babu-ve thaan. my mistake. m.c. !
(meaow gulped) :lol:

ramky
12th June 2006, 10:07 AM
Sorry friends,

I don't know how to insert the photo.

premananth : Pl click the link below, of an Image Hosting site :

http://www.imageshack.us/index.php

At this site, you must click "browse" and select the image in your computer (which you want to insert here ), and then click "host it!". After a few seconds, the site will say that your image has been uploaded, and will show some links. Among those links will be one link labelled as "direct link to image". Copy this link into Notepad or some other text editor in your computer, and save it. Then copy that link and post it here. Thats all. Now when anyone click your link, they will be able to see the picture or image. In case of any problem, you can mention it here or you can pm me also.

premananth
12th June 2006, 01:01 PM
Ramky,
Thanks for the guide.

naan Unggala maathiri style-a vo, alzhaavo irukka maatten. Ana isai rAni pakkathula nikkirathula perumai paduren.

premananth
12th June 2006, 01:03 PM
ok. view it.

ramky
12th June 2006, 01:36 PM
prem ananth : naanum azhagu illai, this is avatar of Superstar.
and external form doesnt matter in the long run, internal substance is more important.

btw where is the link to view the photo in your post ?

premananth
13th June 2006, 07:55 AM
Ramky, nenja nenachutteengga. Sorry for the delay. Some technical problems.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9712/vjprem5iu.jpg

Lets see our IsaiVaani!

madhu
13th June 2006, 07:57 AM
Prem :

photo-la nikkaradhukku oru mugam, udambu irundha podhum.. azhagu edhukku..
VJ pakkathula ninnu irukkeenga.. avanga kitte pesi iruppenga.. adhu poradha ?

madhu
13th June 2006, 07:58 AM
Prem :

Ramky oru Mr.Delhi.. adhai maraichuttar !

SN23
13th June 2006, 11:08 AM
Prem: Great to see you alongwith VJ. It must have given you a great sense of pride :-)

premananth
13th June 2006, 12:21 PM
Nalla velai madhu, neenga sonnathu ellam en kitta irukku; athuvum photo-la.... ha... haa.. just kidding.

anyhow, it was a wonderful time and feelings. Vivarikka vaarathaigal kidaiyaathu.

Enakku antha photo-va paarthaathaan athu nijamnu thonum; nenachu paartha kanavu pola irukku.

"Manathukku piditha paadagiyai petti kandavan - antha
Kadavulukku Nandri solluvaan"

athu Naan thaan.

ramky
14th June 2006, 07:02 AM
Prem :

Ramky oru Mr.Delhi.. adhai maraichuttar !

prem ananth : nice photo and a treasurable one !
madhu : neengal oru Mr.Internet endru maraichuteengaLE ?!

premananth
14th June 2006, 12:18 PM
Ethethu ennala ingga periya pore vanthidum pola irukku. (ana nalla private info-vum varuthu) Namma pathi pesinathu pothum; vaangga isai arasiya pathi pesuvom.

VJ has sang nice devotional songs in some movies:

Here is the list. Pls amend it if I missed any songs.

1) pAlile veNNei uNdu - with LRE - Devi Sri Karumariamman
2) nIyindri yArumillai - with SGR- VaruvAn vadivElan
3) sathiya thirukkOlam - with TMS - VaruvAn vadivElan
4) VaruvAn vadivElan - varuvAn vadivElan
5) AdunggaL pAdunggaL - with SPB - ?
6) kALi puRappattAL - with TMS, SGR, Sasireka - ?
7) nenjil vaithAl nEril varuVaL - with Ragavendrar - sarvam sakthi mayam
8) ammA un karuNaikku - with SGR - Deviyin Thiruvilaiyaadal
9) muthu maNi bullaakkuthaan - with PS - Raja or Veera pAndi (Sivaji, Sumithra, Vijayakanth, Rathika)
10) mAtharin kungumam - Ayiram kaNNudaiyAL
11) Ayiram kaNNudaiyAL - with ? - Ayiram kaNNudaiyAL
12) ammA thAye karumAri - with PS - Ayiram kaNNudaiyAL
13) Bannari MAriyadi - Maggamma Sabatham
14) sannithiyin uLLirukkum - Samaya purathaale saatchi
15) mAri thirisooli - mElmaruvathU AthiparAsakthi
16) ettu thikkilum - Bathil solvAL BathrakALi

if we notice, ovvoru sollaiyum poruL uNarnthu, antha sollai uNarnthu pAduvAr.

The word "vanjam" in Nenjil vaithaal song - kobam koppaLikkum.

madhu
14th June 2006, 11:27 PM
Hi Prem ..

there are some more beautiful devotional songs are there by VJ

kettal ketta varam - durga devi
pandiya mannanin rajakumari - velum mayilum thunai
maruvathooril valar maragadhamE - Melmaruvathoor Adhi parasakthi

premananth
15th June 2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks madhu....

I think, kettal ketta varam her first song in IR music.

Haiyo, madhu valarnthaachu....!

yvsmani
15th June 2006, 10:31 AM
rajarishi had some good songs by VJ, like
maan kanden,
azhaghiya kalai nilavae endrum vazhgha vazhghavae

premananth
15th June 2006, 11:51 AM
Mani sir,

thanks for the list.

but the rajarishi song are normal love songs and a puraNap padam.

What I listed are samiyaattam/thiruvilzha songs.

Can add Thanggam Vairam Navamanigal from Theiva thirumaNanggal also.

madhu
16th June 2006, 11:27 AM
Prem :

then u can add "thirumAlE seerarum maNivaNNA" from dheiva thirumaNangaL

premananth
16th June 2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks madhu.

I just got know (thanks Raj TV). "mai vilzhiyaal" and
"Ubathesham" from kaikoduppAL karpagAmbAL". VJ and Veeramani.

Anyone know, "AdunggaL pAdunggaL amman peril pAttu pAda kUdunggaL" with SPB from which movie.

madhu
16th June 2006, 11:26 PM
Hi Prem..

just like other song threads.. is there any thread in our forum with the lyrics of VJ's songs ?

premananth
17th June 2006, 09:28 AM
it's a good idea.

My contribution definitely will be there. I'll be asset for this forum.

madhu
18th June 2006, 07:24 AM
idho konjam rare lyrics ( appdinnu nenpputhan.. but VJ fans-ukku ellame therinjadhuthan.. :) )

Prem... neengaLum post pannungo.. appuram moderator kitte solli list panna sollalam..

madhu
18th June 2006, 07:26 AM
song # 1

film : kizhakkum mERkum sandhikkinRana
singer : Vani Jayaram
lyric :
music : MSV
actress : simple kapadia

chandira piRai pArthen thOzhi
sandhippu nigazhnthathadi
mandiram pOttadhu pOl enakkOr
mApiLLai kidaithathadi

(chandira)

nagarathu veedhiyil nayagan vandhAr
jAdaiyil kaNdEnadi
nangayai palar angu thiraiyittu vaithAr
thirumaNam mudinthathadi
mugathirai pOtta peNNukkum kAdhal
muthirai vizhunthathadi
mudhal iravenRar adiyE manadhu
Mohanam padithathadi

(chandira)

Adiya nadhiyin Odathilae Or
azhagiya manjamadi
Anandam pAdiya nilaiyil nAnum
avanidam thanjamadi
moodiya udalin azhagu muzhavadhum
avan vizhi pArthathadi
munniravil avan thodangiya kathaiyum
vidintha pin mudinthathadi

(chandira)

alla uraitha kadamaiyai mudithom
adhuthan nallathadi
avarai ninaithu kAlgaLai madithu
moonRuLam vaNanguthadi
athA ammA enrae paiyanin
anbu vaLarthathadi
ANdavan meedhu nambikkai vaithOm
aduthadhum piRakkumadi

(chandira)

madhu
18th June 2006, 07:28 AM
song # 2
film : Deviyin thirumanam
lyric :
actress : padmapriya

ammAdi konja neram konja vendum Odi vA
ivaLthAne thottil ittAL, ivaLthAne thoLil vaithAL
nAL thOrum nenjil vaithu nanooRu mutham thandhAL

(ammAdi)

pAlAdai neerAti pattu kacham koNdu
pani neeril madi vAngi pazhachARu thandhu
peNN poovai koduthu koduthu, pon pOla eduthu eduthu
thathai sugathin vithai padithu
andha nAdhan koNda kAlam ninaikka ninaikka inikkum

(ammAdi)

boopALam pAdAmal pongum inba veLLam
pozhuthellAm iravAga viLayAdum uLLam
eppOthu nadakkum nadakkum, en vAzhvu maNakkum maNakkum
andha sugathai sindhum mugathai
andhi sAyum inba nEram ninaikka ninaikka inikkum

(ammAdi)

madhu
18th June 2006, 07:28 AM
song # 3

film : gas light mangamma
singers : KJY, Vani Jayaram
lyric :

kAdhal deivam kaNdaen
nAn saraNam saraNam saraNam
un kAval deivam vandhaen
pakkam varaNum varaNum varaNum
nAn poojai seyyum nEram
A..A.. nANam thevai illai
alli tharaNum tharaNum tharaNum

(kAdhal)

kalyANa pooppandhal pArvayilae
kacheri rAgangaL vArthayilae
kondAdum dEvadhai varugaiyilae
pandhAda vendumO iru kaiyilae
thEnoorum Odayil nee vizhundhu
thaLLAdum veLaiyil nAn irundhu
poocheNdu vaavenRu vAi thiRandhu
pon oonjal Aduthu thannai maRandhu

(kAdhal)

sevvAnam kadal sErum vELai idhu
sendhoora niRam kAttum mAlai idhu
veN mullai thalai neettum sOlai idhu
unnOdu nAn kAttum leelai idhu
mazhai mugil idum mutham malai meedhu
panithuLi idum mutham ilai meedhu
mAnkuyil idum mutham kani meedhu
mannavan mudhal mutham idhazh meedhu

(kAdhal)

premananth
19th June 2006, 01:10 PM
Ok, Madhu PillaiyAr sulzhi pottutaangge. Ippo en turn. I start with my and all favorite song by VJ. I try to avoid the songs where Saravanan had hosted the lyrics in VJ's chronology.

song # 4

Film: Theerga Sumanggali
Singer: Vani Jayram
Artiste: K.R.Vijaya
MD: MSV
Lyrics: Vaali

malligai en mannan mayanggum
ponnAna malarallavo
en-neramum unnAsai pol
peN pAvai nAn pUchUdik koLLavO
(maalligai)

vAn mEganggal veLLi Oonjal pOl
thinggal mEniyai thottu thAlAttuthu
kuLir kAtrile thaLir pUngkodi
konji pEsiyE anbai pArAttuthu
en kaNNan thunjathAn
en nenjam manjamthAn
kaiyOdu nAn aLLavO
en thEvanE un thEvi nAn
ivvELaiyil un thEvai yennavO
(malligai)

pon mAnggalyam vaNNA poocharam
manjal kunggumam endrum nI thanthathu
OrAyiram inba kAviyam
unthan kaNgalil aLLi nAn thanthathu
nam illam sorgamthaan
nam uLLam veLLamthaan
ondrOdu ondrAnathu
en sonthamum intha banthamum
unnOduthaan nAn thEdi koNdathu
(maaligai)

RR
19th June 2006, 01:42 PM
premananth

A brief note. Pls enter the subject in the format "song name (movie name)" for indexing purposes. I have done it for 'malligai'.

madhu: you are using hyphens for brackets! pls correct.

Hulkster
19th June 2006, 02:45 PM
I notice that most of the songs here are melodious and soulful. I encourage madhu(kuzhundai saamy) and premanath to also post vani jayaram's unsung classics like vaa vaa pakkam vaa which had her singing the song in a tempo which can be still catchy to the ears today. Thanks for listening..:D

madhu
20th June 2006, 05:52 AM
RR : sari senjutten !

madhu
20th June 2006, 05:53 AM
song # 5

film : chinna chinna veedu katti
singer : Malaysia Vasudevan, Vani Jayaram
lyric :
music : shankar ganesh

nakkula mookula nathu pullAkula
pEchu parAkkula thAvArathula
sevarOrathula singArathula

thaLa thaLannu vaLarndha poNNu
thaNNi moLLum pOdhilae
thAvi vandhu aNaichukittEn
kaiyiraNdum pOdhala

(thaLa)

nee illAmalae ini en vAzhvilae
oru thirunALaiyum kANa mudiyAdhaiA
un uRavAnadhu enrum nilaiyAnadhu

thOttam thoravu mAdi manai
yEdhum vENdam enakku
sondham koLLa nee irundhA
sorgam vERu edhukku

(nakkula)

thaLa thaLannu vaLarndha poNNu
thaNNi moLLum pOdhilae
thAvi vandhu aNaichukittA
enna thONum manasula

adi rAsAthiyae pudhu rOsA poovae
indha AthOramA unna pAthEnamma
un kaN pArvaiyil manam thiNdAdhuthae

athA appan veRuthuttAlum
Asai un mel Undu
adhai nenachu Odi vandhEn
avasaramA ingu

(nAkkula)

pudhu kaNdAngiyum oru pon thAliyum
siru sendhooramum poocharam manjaLum
thandhu muRaiyAgavae vandhu uRavAdaiyA

mupAthamman kOvililae
pAtha nALu mudhalA
sEthu vaikka vENdikittEn
dEvi varam tharuvA

madhu
20th June 2006, 05:54 AM
song # 6

film : kalyANa kAlam
lyric : Vairamuthu
music : Shankar Ganesh

ungaL pAdhathil indha nErathil kaNNeer vizhuginradhae
anbu yengudhae - idhil thalaimuRai idaiveLi illaiyae..
A.... A....
(ungaL)

thalai sAigiRAL sakunthalai !
avaL kaNgaLIl mazhai !
than siRagenna paRavaikku sumaiyAgumA
peNgaL azhuginRa avathAramA
manidha inam veRum kAgidham
uRavugaLae adhil Oviyam

(ungaL)

oru poonkodi sabai varum
adhan punnagai sudum
idhu thirai pOttu arangERum oru nAdagam
enRum theerAdha pazhambhAratham
maNamuRaiyae pOliyAnadhu
idhu varaiyil vEliyAnadhu

(ungaL)

madhu
20th June 2006, 05:57 AM
song # 7

film : varaprasAdham
singers : KJY, Vani Jayaram
music : R.Govardhan
lyric : pulamaipithan *

gangai nadhi Oram rAman nadanthAn
kaNNin maNi seethai thAnum thodarnthAL..
mella nadanthAL..

kalyANam ennum deiveega bandham
kalangal thOrum vAzhginra sontham
viLayAttu piLLai maNal veedu alla
vithi ennum kAtril pari pOvathalla

(gangai)

mangaiyavaL seethai muLLil nadnthAL
mannan avan kaNNil gangai vazhinthAL
uLLam negizhnthAn..
mannan avan kaNNil gangai vazhinthAL

mAnikka pAvai nee vantha vElai
ninaiyAthathellAm niraivEra kaNdEn
anbAna deviam azhiyAtha selvam
peNNenru vanthAl ennenru solvEn

maNi Osai kEttu malar mAlai sootti
uravAna vAzhkai nalamAga vEndum
nadamAdum kOvil maNavALan pAdham
vazhi kAttum vEdam vizhi sollum bhAvam
thirunALil yEtrum aNayAtha deepam
Ananda pOOjai Aramba vElai

(gangai)

premananth
21st June 2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the correction and info RR.

madhu, Ganggai nathi oram by Pulamaipithan.

song # 8

Film: aNNan oru kOyil
Singer: Vani Jayaram
Artiste: Sorna
Music: MSV
Lyrics: kaNNathAsan

kungguma kOlanggaL kOvil koNdaada
kOthai nAyagan varuvAnadi
kOdi kAlanggaL nAn thEdi nindrEn
avanai aRivEnadi
(kungguma)

vAnil pugaiyOdu varugindra thEril
nyAna thiruchelvan varavEndum nEril
mAnam mariyAthai avan kaiyil thAye
avanai en kaiyil tharavEndum neeyE
theivIgamandro peNNukkuth thAli
maNavAlan thAne thAlikku vEli
(kungguma)

methai viLaiyAttu sugham kaNdapinne
thaththai molzhiyodu thavalzhgindra kaNNe
thanthai varum nALai ellorkkum kURu
vantha pinnAle pathinARu pERu
nALaikku kaNNil maNAvALan kAtchi
nambikkai vAnil theivanggaL sAtchi
(kungguma)

note: Kaviyarasar, vAnil pugaiyOdu varugindra thEr - endru Rayilai varNikkiRar. enna pulamai... rasigathanmai. great !

premananth
21st June 2006, 09:49 AM
song # 9

Film: Ithayamalar
Singers: Jayachandran, Vani Jayaram
Artistes: kamal & sujatha
Music: MSV
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan

JC: anbE un pErenna rathiyo
Anantha nIrAdum nathiyo
anbE un pErenna rathiyo
VJ: manmathan sonnathu
JC: Anantha nIrAdum nathiyo
VJ: ponggiyE vanthathu
(anbe un per)

JC: pon mAlai nErathil sabai kUdalAm
poomEni mandrathil kavi pAdalAm
VJ: un pAdal santhanggal ithalzh sollumo
OyAmal kEttAlum sugham allavo

VJ: anbE un pErenna rathiyo
JC: manmathan sonnathu
VJ: Anantha nIrAdum nathiyo
JC: ponggiyE vanthathu

VJ: ARROdu veLLththai aNai pOdalAm
anbAna uLLathai thadai pOdavA
JC:kARRodu mElAdai pagaiyAnathO
kai koNdu nAn mella thirai pOdavO

JC: anbe un pErenna rathiyo
VJ: manmathan sonnathu
JC: Anantha nIrAdum nathiyo
VJ: ponggiyE vanthathu

JC: kaN koNda vaNNathai ithalzh koNdathu
VJ: kaNNOdu than vaNNAm athu thanthathu
JC: peN koNda nANanggal suvaiyallavA
VJ: pEsAmal maunathin kathai sollavA

(anbe un per)

RR
21st June 2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks madhu & prem ananth! I have added links to list the songs posted so far. Just check the first post of this thread.

premananth
21st June 2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks RR.

song # 10

Film: anbE AruyirE
Artiste: Manjula

malligai mullai poopanthal
maragatha mANikka ponnUnjal
manjaL vAlzhai mAmaranggaL
pachai mAvilai thOraNanggaL
ellAm ethaRkAga
namakku kalyANam atharkAga
(malligai)

manjaL nIril kAlaiyil kuLithu
thendral nInthidum poonggulzhal mudithu
pattu chElaiyum mettiyum aNinthu
pakkam thOlzhiyar thuNai vara nadanthu
manthiram sollum mEdaiyile
manggala vAthiyam mulzhanggayile
alzhagan unggaL aruginilE
amarnthiruppAL intha maNamagaLe
amarnthiruppAL intha maNamagaLe
ellAm ethaRkAga
(malligai)

anthimAlaiyil sAnthi mughUrtham
anna thULiyil Anantha kOlam
achcham nANathil nAn varum neram
anbu nAdagam ArambamAghum
paLLiyin vAsal kathavadaithu
panjaNai paingkiLi kaiyaNaithu
veLLi muLaikkum vELai varai
solli mudippOm kAthal kathai
solli mudippOm kAthal kathai
ellAm ethaRkAga
(malligai)

premananth
21st June 2006, 12:28 PM
song # 11

Film: alzhagE unnai ArAthikkiREn
Artiste: Latha
MD: ILaiyarAjA

en kalyANa vaibogham unnOduthAn
nalla nALil kaNNan maNi thOlzhil
poomAlai nAn sUduvEn
pAmAlai nAn pAduvEn
(en kalyANa)

malzhaikkAla mEgham thiraLginRa nEram
malaichAralE thAlAtta nIrAtta
malarkUttam ethirpArkkum iLavEnir kAlam
pUvaiyum oru pUvinam athai nAn sollavO
(en kalyANa)

uRanggAmal nenjam uruvAkkum rAgam
unakkallavO kEtpAyo mAttAyo
sugham koNda siRu vINai viral koNdu mIttu
mAlaiyum athikAlaiyum nalla sanggIthamthAn
(en kalyANa)

premananth
21st June 2006, 12:44 PM
song # 12

Film: alzhagE unnai ArAthikkiREn
Artiste: Latha
MD: ILaiyarAjA

nAnE nAnA yArOthAnA
mella mella mARinEnA
thannai thAnE maRanthEnE
ennai nAnE kEtkiREn
(nAnE nAnA)

oruvan ninaivilE urughum ithayame ithO thudikka
mathuvin mayakkamE unathu madiyin mEl
ivaLthAn saraNam....saraNam
(nAnE nAnA)

piRayil vaLarvathum piRaghu thEivathum orE nilavu
uRavil kalappathum pirivil thavippathum orE manathu
paruva vayathile iravum paghalum viragham
naragham saraNam....saraNam
(nAnE nAnA)

premananth
22nd June 2006, 09:19 AM
song # 13

Film: anthamAn kAthali
Singer: KJY, Vani Jayaram
Artiste: Sivaji, Sujatha
Lyrics: kaNNathAsan

KJY: Aaha..........aaaaaaa
VJ: Aaha..........aaaaaaa

VJ: anthamAnai pArunggaL alzhagu- iLam
pAvai ennodu uRavu - antha
thennai thAlAttum iLanIr - intha
theevil peN thUvum panneer
(antha)
KJY: intha mEghak kUnthal kalaigaL - kadal
nIril Adum alaighaL - unthan
mOgha rAgha nAtham - intha
Elzhai pAdum vEtham

antha mAnum un pola alzhagu - iLam
pAvai unnOdu uRavu - antha
thennai thAlAttum iLanIr - intha
kAthal peN thUvum panneer

VJ: nalla poovum thEum thiraNdu - sugham
ponggum uLLanggaL iraNdu - ithu
rAja yOgam sorgam - ini
pEsa enna vetkam
(antha)

KJY: ithu Ekkam thIrkkum thanimai - enna
inbam amma un iLamai - intha
thEvi mEni manjaL - nAn
thEdi Adum Oonjal
VJ: unggal kaigaL endra siRaiyil - varum
kAla kAlanggaL varaiyil - nAn
vAlzha vEndum ulagil - antha
mAnai pOla arugil
(antha)

madhu
23rd June 2006, 05:51 AM
song # 14

song : mAmadurai nAttinil
film : oLimayamAna ethirkAlam
singers : SPB, Vani Jayaram
lyric :
artists : vijayakumar, sripriya

mAmadurai nAttinil vaigai karai kAtRinil
kAdhal pAttondru kEtten...
kaNgal kooduvathai pArthEn.. hA...
kaNgal kooduvathai pArthEn..

(mAmadurai)

thOtram ponoonjal Attam
thogai vanthAdum thottam
Adai mEl nattu jAdai
Asai theeradha bOdhai
mAnthaLir manjaL pallAkku
mayanguthu nenjil ennOdu
maivizhidhAn sollum thoodhu.. hA...
maivizhidhAn sollum thoodhu...

(mAmadurai)

kOvil chiRpangaL ellAm
neril ninRAda kandaen
Adum paNpAdu kandaen
nAnum paNN pAduginraen
ponniyin veLLam kandayO
poovaiyin uLLam kandayO
yArukku yAr solla veNdum.. mm...
yArukku yAr solla veNdum..

(mAmadurai)

yEtho nAn solla vanthaen
eNNam uLLAda ninraen.. hA..
nAnum OdOdi vanthaen
nANam thaLLada ninraen
achathil vArthai varAdhu
Ayinum Asai vidAthu..
nAm ini namakkAga vAzhvOm..mmm
nAm ini namakkAga vAzhvOm..

(mAmadurai)

madhu
23rd June 2006, 05:53 AM
song # 15

film : muLLUm malarum
singer : vANi jayaram
music : iLaiyarAjA
lyric : gangai amaran
artiste : fatafat jayalakshmi

nitham nitham nellu chOru, ney maNakkum kathirikkA
nEthu vacha meen kuzhambu ennai izhukkuthaiA
nenjukkuLae antha nenappu vanthu mayakkuthaiA
(nitham)

pacharisi chOru uppu karuvAdu
chinnamanUr vAikkA sElu keNda meenu
kuruthAna mOLakkeera vAdAtha siru keera
nenakkiyilae enakku ippO echi ooruthu
aLLi thinna Asai vanthu ennai meeruthu

(nitham)

pAvakka kootu paruppOda sethu
pakkuvatha pAthu Akki mudichAchu
siru kALan varuthAchu padham pAthu eduthAchu
kEzhvaragu koozhukkathu romba poruthamaiA
dhinam kudicha odambu ithu romba perukkumaiA

(nitham)

pazhayathukku thOthA pulichirukkum mOru
pottukaLLa thEngA pOttaracha thovayalu
sAmbAru vengAyam salikkAthu thinnAlum
athukku ENa ulagathula illavae illa
aLLi thinna enakku innum alukkavae illa

ithanaikkum mElirukku nenjukkuLLa Asai oNNu
soosagamA solla pOrEn poMbalathAnga
soodAga irukkurappO sAppida vAnga

(nitham)

madhu
23rd June 2006, 05:54 AM
song # 16
song : kalimAmaniyae
film : paNam peNN pAsam
singers : jayachandran, Vani jayram
lyric :
artiste : saritha

kalaimAmaniyae suvai mAnganiyae
enthan singAra chevvAnamae
anbae sangeethamae
maNi mALigaiyae thiruvAsagamae
oLi mangAdha ponnAramae
anbae sangeethame

thErilae ulA varum sendhoora poovaNNamae
thEnilae palA vizhum inbam un kaivaNNamae
iNainthae arundhum iLamai virundhu

(kalai)

Asai neeril Adidum OdangaL nam uLLamae
Adum mEgam koodinAl Ananda meen thuLLumae
ninaithAl inikkum aNaithAl adangum

(kalai)

vAna veedhi meedhilae megathin oorgOlamO
nAnum neeyum kANbathu mogathin pOrkOlamO
jagathai mayakkum sugathil midhappOm

(kalai)

madhu
23rd June 2006, 05:55 AM
song # 17

song : Engiruntho
film : Aavanthan manidhan
singers : Vani Jayaram
lyric : Kannadasan
artiste : Jayalalitha

engirunthO oru kural vanthadhu - adhu
entha dEvathaiyin kuralO
engaL deepangaLil oLi vanthadhu - adhu
entha kaigaL thandha oLiyO

(engiruntho)

thAzham kudaigaL thazhuvum kodigaL
thAmarai pookkaLin thOttam
mAlai maNigaL mandira kanigaL
mazhalai enRoru thOttam
mAlgaiyil oru madhi vanthadhu - adhu
entha vAnathu madhiyO
mAyamAga oru oli vanthadhu - adhu
entha Alayathu maNiyO

(engiruntho)

kadhiroLi deepam kalasam yEndhi
kaNNan varuginra kanavu
kandanaL oruthi vandhanan kaNNan
kaNgaL thoongAtha iravu
gangaiyilae pudhu punal vanthadhu - adhu
entha mEgam thandha punalO
mangayidam oru anal vanthadhu - adhu
entha mannan thandha analO

(engirunthO)

madhu
23rd June 2006, 05:56 AM
song # 18

film : iLaiyarANi rAjalakshmi
lyric :
artiste: Srividhya

nalla kaNavanukku manaiviyAnavaL
andha kadavuLukkE nanRi kURuvAL
avan vallamaiyai enRumE virumbuvAL
anbu vAzhkaiyilE deepa oLi EtRuvAL

srirAman mithilai nagar veedhiyil vandhAn
angu seethai avan thOL kaNdAL thOLE kaNdAL
kAdhal koNda jAnakiyai kamban kaNdAn
andha kAdhalukku veeramE kAraNam enRAn

(nalla)

thirumurugan vEl eduthu veeram kAttinAn
andha dEivAnai muruganukkE mAlai sUttinAL
kAlam ellAm kALaiyarkku valimai vENdumE
nalla kAriyangaL sAdhikkum thiRamai vENdumE

(nalla)

thaNNeeril iRangAmal neendha mudiyumA
dhairiyamE illAmal vAzha mudiyumA
thannai nambum manidhanaiyE ulagam nambum
indha thathuvamE illaRathil nalladhu seyyum

(nalla)

madhu
23rd June 2006, 05:57 AM
song # 19

film : varuvAn vadivElan
singer : Sirkazhi Govindarajan, Vani jayram
lyric :
artistes : muthuraman, chandrakala *

nee inRi yArum illai vizhi kAttu - murugA
nenjuruga vENdugiREn oLi kAttu
nambikkai koNdu vandhEn aruL kEttu - nee
gnAnakkaN thanai thiRandhu vazhi kAttu
aruLE aruLE ulagam unadhallavA
arivum poruLum yAvum nee allavA

( nee )

thirupathi mAmanukku kaNNillaiyO
mAmi ilakkumi enaippolE peNNillaiyO
gavanathil engaL nilai varavillayO
nAngaL kathirgAmam.......
nAngaL KathirgAmam vandhatharkku palan illayO
kAsi visAlAtchi undhan maganidam solvAi
kAnchi kAmAtchi undhan maganidam solvAi
angayarkkaNNi undhan maganidam solvAi
adi abirAmi nee unadhu maganidam solvAi

kaNdEn... kaNdEn.. kaNdEn...

muthukumaran bakthi saravaNan
vaidhyanAdhanai kaNdEn
mudiyudai mannan thiru mudi arugE
kodiyudai sEvalai kaNdEn
kothum nAgam kollAtAga
kathum thOgaiyai kaNdEn
kOlam mARida gnana kaNgaLum
Una kaNgaLum koNdEn

veedu namakkuNdu aRupadai veedu
vEdham namakkuNdu muruganin pAdham
virundhu namakkuNdu kandhanin nAmam
marundhu namakkuNdu vaidhiyanAdham
ayyA murugaiyyA ayyA murugaiyyA
ayyA murugaiyyA ayyA murugaiyyA

SN23
23rd June 2006, 11:17 AM
madhu:

nee indri yArum illai vazhi kAttu song-ukku padathil act paNNiyadhu Muthuraman and Chandrakala (not Latha).

Latha and JaiGanesh for Sathiya thirukOlam song.

madhu
23rd June 2006, 02:09 PM
thanks SN23 - mathidaren

madhu
24th June 2006, 06:00 AM
song # 20

film : Meenakshi kungumam
singers : Jayachandran, Vani jayaram
lyric :
music :
artistes : Vijayakumar, Sripriya

srirangaNo sridEviyO vadivElanO deivAnayO
yAr vanthu pirappArO kaNNAna yen selvamae !
Oh.. ippOthu nee enthan piLLai
inimElae appAvai pOl thonRum piLLai
Oh..Oh.. appappA nee seyyum thollai
inimElae avan seyya pOrAnae ennai
munthAnai mElakkil kai pOttu
ammA pArammA pAlamma enbAnae

(sriranganO)

AAn piLLai theerAtha thollai
peNN piLLai pEranbin ellai
sridEvi varavEndum enru
thirumAlai varam kELu inru
magaLukku nee koduppathenRal selavayyA
maganukkenRAl pErum paNamum varavayyA
kaNNanthAn piLLai mannanthAn

(sriranganO)

adi yenthan maharAsi kaNNae
adaithEnae thuNaiyAga unnai
angae Or madurai meenAkshi
ingae yen manayALae sAtchi
unnai vittu ulagam oNNu yEthaiyA
oru piRappum maru piRappum neeyaiyA
ennaiyA thunban yEthaiyA

(sriranganO)

madhu
24th June 2006, 06:01 AM
song # 21

film : samsAram adhu minsAram
singer: VANi jeyarAm
lyric : vali
music : SG
artiste : Lakshmi

Ari ArArirO Ari ArArirO Ari ArArirO

katti karumbE kaNNA
kannam sivantha mannA
nee ingu vandha nEram
sondham ellAm dhooram
En enRu kEtka AL illai
vA enRu solla vAi illai

(katti)

oppukku sonnEn ArArO
oomaikku sondham yAr yArO ?
poo vaitha nenjil
thee vaithathArO ?
uNmaiyai solla vArArO
kALaikku thAnE veerAppu
kanRukku EnO pollAppu ?
kanROdu pasu inRu thiNdAduthu

(katti)

sippikkuL muthu vandhAlum
adhu sippikku sondham AgAdhu
nadhiyOdu pOnAl
karai uNdu kaNNE
vidhiyOdu pOnAl karai Ethu ?
kaNNukkuL veLLam ippOthu
nAm karai sErum kAlam eppOthu ?
un thAi pAlil kaNNeerai
yAr sErthathu?

(katti)

madhu
24th June 2006, 06:02 AM
song # 22

film : mayangugiral oru madhu
singers : Vani Jayaram
music : Vijayabaskar
Lyric : Panju Arunachalam
artiste : sujatha

oru puram vEdan maru puram nAgam
irandukkum naduvae azhagiya kalaimAn
azhagiya kalaimAn
ragasiya idhayam palavagai thuyaram
avanaruL kidaithAl thuyarangaL vilagum

(oru)

uNmaiyai sonnAl sannidhi thiRakkum
ovvoru mAnukkum nimmadhi kidaikkum
yArarivArO oomaiyin kanavu
mAnukkum uNdu oru vagai manadhu

(oru)

pAda ninaithathu bhairavi rAgam
pAdi mudithathu yAvaiyum sOgam
mAnum ninaithathu mangaLam pAda
mayangi vizhunthahu sangamamAga

(oru)

peNNai piranthAl pEdhamai uLLam
pEdhamaiyAlae viLainthathu kaLLam
kaNNA unathu karuNaiyai kAttu
kArigai vAzhvil nimmadhiyootu

(oru)

premananth
27th June 2006, 10:07 AM
Haiyo... ellAme nalla paattungga madhu.....
ok, ippo en panggu....!

song # 23

Film : uyarnthavargaL
Singers : KJY, Vani Jayaram
Music : Shankar- Ganesh
Lyric : kaNNathAsan
Artiste : thEnggAi seenivAsan, Baby artiste

KJY: iRaivan iraNdu bommaigal seithAn thAn viLaiyAda - avai
iraNdum sErnthoru bommaiyai seithana thAm viLaiyAda
un vAi molzhi mullai enil thAi molzhi illai
(iRaivan)

veyyil enna minnal enna
veNmai enna manjaL enna
kANAtha kaNgal reNdil ellAmum onRada
(veiyil)
theRal kARRum Umai kARRu
thEvan pAttum Umai pAttu
avanthAne nammai seythAn thunbanggaL EnadA
(iRaivan)

VJ: unggaLukkAga nAnE solvEn
unggaLukkAga nAnE kEtpEn
theivanggaL kallAi pOnAl pUsAri illaiyA
(unggaLukkAga)
thanthai pEchu thAikku puriyum
thAthA nenjil ulagam theriyum
uLLathil nallOr thAnE uyArnthavar illaiyA
en vAi molzhi mullai enil thAi molzhi illai
(iRaivan)

KJY: malarum pOthe vAsam theriyuthu
vaLarum pOthe pAsam puriyuthu
thAi thanthai seitha pUjai vInAgavillaiyE
(malarum)
kanthan anRu manthiram sonnAn
kaNNan andru geethai sonnAn
maghan sonna vEtham kEttu maRainthathu thollaiyE
(iRaivan)

premananth
27th June 2006, 10:35 AM
this song is my all time favorite.......

song # 24

Film : thennang kIRRu
Singers : SPB, Vani Jayaram
Music : G.K.Vengkadesh
Lyric : ?
Artistes : vijayakumAr, sujAthA

SPB: mANikka mAmaNi mAlaiyil
manggaiyavaL thangga mugham
nAn kaNdathu
(mAnikka)

thEn idaiyil oru nyAna bUmi kaNdEn
thEvathA vilAsam athu kOvil koNda pAsam
ithamO pathamO sugamO
(maNikka)

VJ: pUmughathil oru kOdi thIbam kaNdEn
pAtha SthAnam kolla kAthal thEva pAdam thAno
iRaivA enakkU viLakkU
(maNikka)

VJ: mAnikka mAmaNi mAlaiyil
mannan avan punnagaithAn
nAn kaNdathu
(mANikka)

SPB: nAn varuvEn thinam anthi santhi nEram
VJ: nAn ninaithEn thinam jIva rAga gItham
SPB: uthayam uNdu namakkum - athil
ithaya gItham thudikkum
VJ: puthiya vAlzhvu iNaikkum - nenjil
iniya vasal thiraikkum
SPB: namakkum
VJ: oru nAL
SPB & VJ: piRakkum.....

premananth
28th June 2006, 09:15 AM
Madhu, Meenakshi kunggumam(1978) music by Sanker-Ganesh. and the lyrics by KD. and nee indRi (varuVan varidvElan -1978) also by KD.

song # 25

Film : ANivEr (1981)
Singers : Vani Jayaram
Music : Shanker-Ganesh
Lyric : ?
Artiste : saritha

nAn thAne oru puthukavithai - en
eNNanggaL nAn eNNiya vaNNanggaL
nANam ennum ilakkaNamillai
Asaigal - athu free free
pAvai enRum suthanthira paRavai kAval thEvaiyo
sattanggaL thittanggaL vattanggaL inggillai
namakku nAmE rANigaL

(nAn)

kAlathin valzhakkanggaL kaNmUdi palzhakkanggaL
kAlukku vilanggugaL
peNNE en kaNNE semponne
Elzhai pOl nadithidum vEgam
bUmikku valzhanggattum mOsam
pAdunggal namakkoru rAgam
pOdunggal ataRkoru thALam
(sattanggaL)

(nAn)

vAnathai vaLaikkalAm mEghathil mithakkalAm
kAlathai kalzhikkalAm
inbam.. nal inbam pErinbam
vIttukkuL itukkinRa sontham
kUttukkuL adaikkinRa bantham
(sattanggaL)

premananth
28th June 2006, 09:48 AM
song # 26

Film : varuvAn vadivElan (1978)
Singers : TMS, Vani Jayaram
Music : MSV
Lyric : kannathAsan
Artiste : Jay Ganesh, Latha

TMS:
pAvak kadai theruvil paduthiruntha pAvi enai
nyAnak kadal thannil nadakka vitta vEl murugA
ARupadai nAyaganE avamathikkum mAnidarkku
mARuthalai kAtti manam thiruthum vEl murugA murugA

sathiya thirukkOlam muthaiyan vadivenRa
thathuvam aRinthEn kanthA
pithanin viLaiyAttu pilzhai poruthe unthan
pEraruL thanthAi kanthA

kai sumanthAl enna
thalai sumanthAl enna
kanthanai sumakkinRathu -avan
kadan thantha en mEni
kAlathile vanthu kadanaiyum thIrkinRathu
kadanaiyum thErkinRathu - murugA

(sathiya)

VJ:
mAthumaiyAL mainthan
mAsi magham kANa
mAnudam thiraLkinRathu (mAthu) - intha
makkaLin vinai ennum
sikkalai thIrkkum karam
sikkalil irukkinRathu - karam
sikkalil irukkinRathu

TMS:
alzhagappan mEnikku
alzhagu seithAl athil
aruL neRi jolikkinRathu - thiru
ANdiyappan kAlil
AsigaL peRa vEndi
arasAnggam varukinRathu

VJ:
venthaNal pOl elzhuntha
vithiyinil kuLippArkku
santhanam tharuginRathu - nalla
vIttu kulamagaLai
viLakkERRi vaikka cholli
kunggumam idukinRathu - manggala
kunggumam idukinRathu

TMS:
avanidam pOnavarkku
avanai adainthavarkku
emanidam bayam illaiyE - antha
sivanidam Om enRAl
ivanidam poruL kEtpAn
ivanukku mElillaiyE

TMS & VJ:
uNdAna AyuthanggaL
onbathu ethirthAlum
thaNdAyutham kAkkume - avanai
koNdAdum pergaLukku
kuRai yAvum Odividum
kOdAna kOdi varumE
kOdAna kOdi varumE

premananth
28th June 2006, 10:14 AM
song # 27

Film : vAlzhnthu kAttugirEn (1975)
Singers :Vani Jayaram
Music : MSV
Lyric : kannathAsan
Artiste : bathmapriya

kAviri nagarinil kadaRkarai Orathil
mAthavi Ada vanthAL -oru
mannavan kUda vanthAn - avar
pUviri manjathil porunthiya pinne
kaNNAgi vAlzhavanthAL - athai
mAthavi kANa vanthAL
(kAviri)

thiruvum maNamum sErnthathu thAne
thirumaNam enRuraipAr (thiruvum) -anggu
thiru vERAgavum maNam vERAgavum
iruvarum thanithirunthAr
mAlai aNinthavaL sUriyan pOlE
kAiginRa guNamum uNdu - AnAl
mayakkathil vanthavaL veNmathi pOlE
manathinil kuLirvathuNdu
(kAviri)

nAdagathil varum maNamakkaL ellAm
nallisai payilvathuNdu - antha
nAdagam mudinthu thiraiyum vilzhunthAl
iruvarum pirivathundu
Ariyang kAlathu thenRalai pOle
valzhiya kulamagaLE - unai
arukigil irunthu pArthu koNdiruppAL
alzhagiya kalaimagaLE
(kAviri)

wow... wonderful lyrics....thanks kannathAsan...!

premananth
30th June 2006, 01:25 PM
song # 28

Film : echchil iravugaL (1982)
Singers : KJY, Vani Jayaram
Music : Ilayaraja
Lyric : M.G.Vallaban
Artiste : chandrasekar, roopa, chakarawarthy,

KJY:
pUmElE vIsum pUnggAthe
en mEl vIsa mAttAyA
pUmElE vIsum pUnggAthe
en mEl vIsa mAttAyA

VJ:
kAthil sonnAyE hOy hOy
kAthal sangItham hOy hOy
kAthil sonnAyE hOy hOy
kAthal sangItham hOy hOy
kaN vAsalil un vAsamO

KJY:
kaN vAsalil un vAsamO
(pU mElE)

KJY:
theruvOram thim pAdal pAdum nenjil nIyE
puthithAga pala thALam pOdum kaNNil yArO
nAnO thinam thAnam kEtkum kAthal pichaikAran

VJ:
un mArbil nAn sAinthAdum ponnAna nAl vArAthO
un mArbil nAn sAinthAdum ponnAna nAl vArAthO
ninaippAl koduthEn kaNNA innum En thAbamO
kaN vAsalil un vAsamO
(pU mElE)

VJ:
nadai pAthai enggaL nAdu nIyE anggu rAjA
iravAgi varum pOthu nAne unthan rANi
nAnO thinam thAnam kEtkum kAthal pichchaikAri

KJY:
achchAramthAn rOsAppU
muththAdavA rAsAthi
achchAramthAn rOsAppU
muththAdavA rAsAthi
sirippAi virippAi pAyil ennai pArAttuvAi
kaN vAsalil un vAsamO
(pU mElE)

yvsmani
4th July 2006, 02:24 PM
did anybody see VJ's coffee with susi on saturday on star vijay ?? she draws very well too

Neel D
5th July 2006, 06:59 AM
VJ performed two wonderful concerts in NY last weekend at FETNA convention, one devotional music concert and one film music concert. She was simply amazing. I consider myself so lucky to have attended the concert. I will post the details in a couple of days.

VJ will be performing for Kerala Hindu Cultural Assn in NY on July 22nd.

yvsmani
5th July 2006, 02:03 PM
In star vijay TV interview, VJ showed the drawing made by her of vasant desai and pattachitra paintings etc made by her . Regarding her short lived Hindi career she said, "when I went for a function alongwith Vasant desai, Y.B.Chavan said - engal arasiyalil sangeetham iruppathu illai, aanaal ungal sangethathil En ivvalavu arasiyal irukkirathu endru " . she said the trend still goes on. naan ithai ninaiththu pala naatkal azhuthathundu. appothu vasant desai sonnathu - "nee idhu pol pirarkku seiya koodathu" endru. she is now writing a lot of kavithaigal and atharkku isai amaiththu kondum irukkiraar. she described one of her kavithai thookkaththai patri.

she said she is never an introvert.

indraiya isai amaippalar patri ketta questionkku -" I dont have anything against them, but bombayil irunthu vanthu padagargal padattum, aanaal thamizh kolai en seigiraargal, idhu pol ingae irunthu angae sendru paadinaal oththu kolvaargala"

thumburu
5th July 2006, 04:14 PM
VJ diplomatically skirted the "sindu mudiyum " question whether IR or MSV

yvsmani
7th July 2006, 01:00 PM
thumburu :
neenga paarththeenga pole irukkae.
"I worked more with MSV " was a nice reply

Neel D
9th July 2006, 10:39 PM
Here is a summary of VJ's concerts at the FETNA convention in Manhattan last weekend. On the first day of the convention VJ performed a 45-minute devotional songs concert which had songs on Meenakshi, Perumaal and Murugan. She sang a wonderful song "gItham illAmal" written and composed by VJ herself. It was a beautiful and difficult composition. VJ simply had the crowd mesmerized. The final song of the concert was another difficult song on Murugan.

Second day of the convention's grand finale was a dance and music programme. Following the dances by film and TV artistes, the film music concert began quite late at night at 10:45pm. It was supposed to be from 9pm to midnight. VJ was invited to the stage and felicitated first. Then the concert started with a prayer song followed by "pAdavA un pAdalai" by Anita Krishnan. It was followed by Malligai En Mannan by VJ. You couldn't tell if it was 2006 or 1974. Such youthfulness in her voice. I was holding my cellphone up so friends in India could listen to the song. Followed by Malligai, VJ sang a string of wonderful solos "nAdhamenum kovililE", "mEgamE mEgamE", "yArathu sollAmal", and "nAnE nAnA". You should have been there to enjoy the sweetness and yearning in "yArathu". Brought tears to my eyes.

The audience tried its best to not applaud in the middle of a song. But the hummings and alapanais in "mEgamE mEgamE" simply had the audience applauding away in the middle of the song. The orchestra had only one night to rehearse for the concert and they were playing at varying tempos and missing the notes all through the concert. VJ had to conduct the orchestra with hand signals while singing at the same time.

VJ's solo songs were followed by songs by Harish Raghavendra, Mathangi, Anitha Krishnan and Michael Mervin and VJ's duets. Harish in his honey-soaked voice sang "niRpathuvE nadappathuvE", "chennai senthamiz" and "dEvadaiyai kaNdEn". I spoke to Harish earlier that afternoon for a little while. What a nice guy! Mathangi sang "appadi pArkkaRathunnA", "kaNNum kaNNum nOkkiyA", etc. She was hip and cool. Michael sang "Mannil Intha Kathal", "kaNNum kaNNum", etc. Anitha Krishnan did a beautiful rendition of "ovvoru pUkkaLumE".

VJ sang all her duets with Michael. The songs were "orE jIvan onRE uLLam", "andhamAnai pArunggaL", "kavithai kELunggaL", "orE nAL unai nAn". I wish VJ had sung a few duets with Harish. However, some wonderful VJ-HR duets were available at the convention. VJ also did a 2-minute humming of a Jazz number. The audience listened to it with pin-drop silence. The final song of the concert was "nI kEttAl nAn mAttEn". By that time it was 1:00am and the auditorium time was up and she had to finish it with just one charanam.

There was an audience request for "Ezhu svaranggaLukkuL" during the concert. The orchestra had not rehearsed the song. So VJ sang it with minimum accompaniment.

FETNA should have brought in at least an orchestra of four from India who are familiar with the songs and have rehearsed them. Or, the singers should have been brought in at least one week before the convention in order to have the time to rehearse. But the singers were brought in only one and a half days before the convention and had to rehearse with a local amateur orchestra in just one night and get ready for the performance. Never cut corners when it comes to the Grand Finale. All the songs from the 90s and after were performed with Karaoke CDs. Those songs did not require an orchestra. But, for her songs, VJ had to conduct the orchestra to save the evening.

aruvi
10th July 2006, 11:25 AM
Neel D

Hey,
Glad to hear that such a great artist was performing and you got to see it.

I too feel that these organizations should attempt to bring some members of a real orchestra. I attended a concert of Janaki/SPB/Chitra in Toronto recently. The orchestra was local, and they were not anywhere upto what I expected. And the singers had arrived only the evening before. SPB had to conduct them at intervals.

Naaz
10th July 2006, 11:43 AM
Neel D -

You are truly blessed to have witnessed two VJ concerts in two days! Thank you for sharing the highlights (which I read with great envy!) It comes as no surprise that the orchestral arrangements were lacking, and that the honoured artiste had to conduct the show herself. Many artistes/singers of calibre avoid these "jamborees" precisely for this reason - the complete lack of thought and professionalism shown by promoters in organising live music events. A singer like VJ can carry a show just on the strength and aura of her voice, and that must have been on full display - if only by default!
Not that I am really eager to see it, but were the concerts recorded by Fetna or Tamil TV networks?

Neel D
10th July 2006, 07:18 PM
aruvi & Naaz,

Experienced singers like VJ and SPB can guide the orchestra and save the concert. But what will the new singers do when they get stuck with an amateur orchestra? A lot of money is spent on some special(?) guests, which can be spent on bringing an orchestra.

Also, at 11:30 at night they announced that the concert will end at midnight. VJ was on stage at that time. She said, on stage, that they have worked hard for this concert and that all singers should get their opportunity. She asked Fetna to get an extension of time. Then they got an extension till 1am. But a lot of people in the audience were gone by midnight.

This was the first live concert of VJ I attended. It was a wonderful experience.

I am sure Fetna recorded the concert. May be in a few weeks you can contact them for a copy if they are selling it.

Naaz
29th July 2006, 10:06 PM
Neel D / All -

Click on the link below:

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showNewsDetails.php?newsid=166&linkid=408

Neel D
29th July 2006, 10:46 PM
Naaz,

I am sure it was a great concert. Wish you had posted the link before the concert.

Naaz
30th July 2006, 01:32 AM
Neel D -

Yeah, I should have - had I known about the event. I only got the link this morning! :(

I have a feeling that it would have been a "multilingual" concert, given that it is the Indian Consul in NYC. It would be good to see a review or summary of the event somewhere...Let us know if you (also) come across any such coverage please.

prem ananth -

It is really nice of you to post the lyrics of the songs. It brings the song alive in an entirely "literary" way - and reading the words makes for many new interpretations.

rajeshkrv
21st September 2006, 01:21 AM
mr karthik,

oorukku uzhaippavan had latha ..

the movie which you are trying to quote is kannan en kadhalan which had Vanishree and Jayalalitha as heroines

you missed out nallathoru kudumbam
(sindhu nadhi karai oram)

balaji
21st September 2006, 06:12 AM
rajeshkrv

Uzaikkum Karangal (Nalai Ulagai Aala Vendum) had Latha

OOrukku Uzhaippavan (i think produced by Manirathnam's father -- Venus Pictures) had Vanishree and Venniradai Nirmala
Bala

Naaz
21st September 2006, 09:07 PM
mr_karthik -

Thanks for the list of films. While it is true that Sivaji patronised Vanisri when other leading men/directors dropped her, I don't think all the roles she played in Sivaji films were stellar or significant. Vanisri, in my view, was always above and better than the material she was given (with or without Sivaji.)

How did everybody forget Uyarndha Manithan? That's true Vanisri-Sivaji vintage!

rajeshkrv
22nd September 2006, 03:09 AM
balaji oorukku uzhaipavan never had Vanishree

madhu
22nd September 2006, 07:47 AM
vanisree... ( uruppadiyAna ore sree.. was the comment of Kumudham magazine)

tfmlover
23rd September 2006, 05:55 AM
vaanisri in ooruku uzhaipavan( ithuthaan muthal raathiri kjy vj .. )
with mgr
uzhaikum karangal' had latha 'kandhanukku maalai ittaal VJ song for bavaani

Naaz
7th November 2006, 10:38 PM
This link hit my mailbox this morning. Check it out:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/11/03/stories/2006110300160300.htm

Jilaba
8th November 2006, 12:52 PM
Thank you Naaz,

Glad to see our Vani madam was felicitated at Rajasthan Meera Samaj.

She is fully deserve for it.

narayanan
15th November 2006, 01:39 PM
you missed out nallathoru kudumbam
(sindhu nadhi karai oram)

Rajesh,
is'nt Sindhu Nadhikkarai Oram, TMS and P.Susila ?
~~~~~~~~
I donno if this song is already disucussed, I love this lullaby 'Katti Karumbe Kanna' from 'Samsaram adhu Minsaram'. Shankar-Ganesh were the composers.

Neel D
23rd November 2006, 11:21 AM
Some rare songs at www.raaga.com

kaNgaL sonnathu

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001052.html

muththu mInAkshi
manmatha OdanggaLE

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001057.html

kARRu nadanthathu

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001063.html

All songs

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000994.html

aRivil Athavan
mUnRu deivam
kALi puRappattAL

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001055.html

Neel D
23rd November 2006, 10:55 PM
Some more...

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000982.html
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000983.html
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000984.html
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001001.html

Naaz
25th November 2006, 06:51 AM
Neel D -

Bonanza! Thanks for the links!

Nice to rediscover Kaatru Nadanthadhu Mella Mella. There is some OP Nayyar happening in there somewhere!

Yaenamma Sivanthadhu - still holds all the cheerfulness, so many years later. A good companion to this one (also from the 80s S-G) would be Vayasu Ponnu Thaniyae Ninnu from Nenjamellaam Neeyae.

Kanngal Sonnadhu - a nice duet. MSV? Is the male singer RKB?

More after I've heard the rest!

Neel D
25th November 2006, 09:36 PM
Naaz,

I visited raaga after a long time. And I was thrilled to find these rarities. Yes, I think kaNgaL sonnathu male voice belongs to Rajkumar Bharati.

Here are some more songs:
kAthalikka kaththukka
kalyANa panthalilE
Uththungga suthi

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001046.html

Naaz
4th December 2006, 07:09 PM
Neel D -

Those horizontal links sent me spiralling into a world of snatched memories (how deceptive, indeed!).

Chinna Chinna Veedu Katti...Periya Periya Bejaar Padam! :roll:
Kelleys Uma Talkies-il Oru (godawful) matinee show-la suththamaa nondhuppona ninaivu. Priceless! :lol:

Naagam...Guess it was Chandrashekar's turn to try on the green-ochre contacts?

Rathi in Karumaiyil Oar Azhagu...Dumb.Irony.Dead.Box-Office.

Talking of laughsquirmrunout B graders, I've been caught up in this song from O Manju:

Avanum Avalum Manathum Manathum

A high octane composition by MSV, sung with characteristic gusto and relish by VJ. The lyrics dole out a generous helping of english phrases..."The Beauty and The Beast", she exclaims at one point! Very "Suryakaanthi" JJish! :P

Neel D
5th December 2006, 11:52 PM
Naaz,

"avanum avaLum" is indeed a high-octane song. MSV rocks. By an average singer, it would have come out as a plain song or like rap. One or the other. But VJ combines both, bringing forth a burst of energy without compromising musicality.

Was "avanum avaLum" banned on All India Radio? The lyrics are a bit "mature". The veenai bit is wonderful. Innovative use of veenai thirty years ago by MSV. But they made a big deal recently when veenai was used in some striptease song. Also I believe Manoj-Gyan used veenai creatively in 'rAththiri nEraththu pUjaiyil".

Naaz
6th December 2006, 03:34 AM
Neel D -

The symmetry of the veena opening and ending in "Avanum Avalum" is MSVs mastery. The use of the veena (given all the mythological baggage that goes with it) in what is a "risque" narrative, is a counterpoint that merges the holy and the lascivious, beautifully.
The slide into a qu'wwali rhythm in the charanams is also done with measured grace. Given the "naughtynaughty" interjections in english, I don't think this solo would have endeared itself to AIR. The song goes places that even Oaram Po and Vaangonaa didn't. Definitely not for those who like their faint-hearts and quaint thoughts. :twisted:

"But they made a big deal recently....striptease song." Can you help me with more details?
---------------
"Malarmanjangal Magarandhangal Ilam Muththangal Idum Saththangal..." was this VJ/DC or VJ/SNS ? A nice tune by SG. Padam?

Neel D
6th December 2006, 11:20 PM
Naaz,

I remember the hoopla about that striptease number. But not the film or the song. If I come across it I will let you know.

"malar manjanggaL" is from the film Saatchi. The male voice belongs to SNS. I think it is a SAC film with Vijaykant.

Naaz
8th December 2006, 01:55 AM
Neel D -

Malarmanjangal has the spot-on SG signatures, but the melody is quite catchy. My favourite among the duets by this duo is "Mazhaiyae En Meedhu Thoovaadhae"

Here's another rare one for you:
"Mounam Kalaiyaadho Swaami" Another semi-classical piece by VJ in the 80s? Fast-paced and dizzying, but with all the clarity and grandeur of VJs skills. It might be a CB composition, but can't say for certain.
I hope to someday find a file of "Thaaiyaaki Vachcha En Thangamae..."
This song seems to have become a quest, and it haunts me even more now that Sri Vidya is gone...

Neel D
8th December 2006, 08:47 PM
Naaz,

VJ and SNS sang many duets in the 80s that were never/rarely aired. Most of them were probably by S-G and they did not get the media promotion or industry hype like the albums by IR, TR and M-G got in the 80s.

"mounam kalaiyAthO svAmi" is an amazing song. I believe it is by KVM. But I am not sure. The song is too classical to be Chandrabose.

Naaz
8th December 2006, 09:47 PM
Neel D -

Please click on the link:

http://www.vikatan.com/

My font problem raises its ugly head....May I request a gist of the piece on VJ in this current issue? Thanks!

Neel D
8th December 2006, 10:43 PM
Naaz,

I don't have a subscription for Vikatan. I believe it is about the award VJ is receiving tomorrow. Please check this link.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/11/17/stories/2006111716190200.htm

Congratulations to VJ !

Naaz
9th December 2006, 04:16 AM
Neel D -

WOW! Another award within a span of a month? That's simply fantastic! The Meera Puraskaar,... and now Mudhra Felicitation!
Jai Vani! :)
Thanks for posting the link to this news story.
Vikatan is a subscriber site? Hmm...guess I won't be reading any articles there!

Naaz
11th December 2006, 03:48 AM
Neel D -

Thaambathyam Oru Sangeetham had the lovely "Naan Thaiyum Aanavan..." solo by PJC. But the fun and inventive track from this film was "I love you...Amaraavathi" by VJ-MVD. I believe MSV scored the film, and this particular duet has three segments depicting "immortal" lovers: It starts off with Amaraavathi/Ambikaapathi, set in the semi-classical Karnatak style (a la Sugaraagamae by the same pair); the mid section takes an urban and flighty turn as the song celebrates Juliet and Romeo (and VJs english!); and, finally, there is the dust and lust of desert love - Laila and Majnu! The essence of MSV permeates the whole track.
I watched this film when it was released....I can see how it must have been filmed (with zero memory of how it really was filmed!)...but how do I shake the mug of Mohan from the imagined visuals...Toughie! :P

Ramki
11th December 2006, 04:31 AM
Naaz/Neeld

The vikatan article 'season chips' says:

'malligai en mannan mayangumnu' paadina vani jairam kacheri..
22nd thedhi auditoriume nirambi vazhinjudhu. kaNNai uruthaadha light pink saree, izhuthu porthina pudavai thalaippu,kazhuthile konjam ganamaa thanga changilli.

pakka vadhiyamellaam konjam vidhyasama irundhadhu. bakthi padalgala eduthu vani paadinaar. nalla pitch urukki eduthu veLLi kambi maathiri.

thamizh mattum illaame telugu hindi kannadam malayalam songsaiyum paadinaar. idhule 3 thamizh pattu avare iyatriyadhaam.

vaani kural inimai pathi naan solli neenga therinjakkanumnnu avasiyamillai aanaalum thyagaiyaar, muthuswamy deekshithar pondroro niraiya devotional songs iyatriyirkaanga. sondha paadalgaLai thavira matradhugaLai konjam therinja paadalgaLa paadirkalaam

'muzhukka muzhakka pazhase edhukkungraar?' ennavar

'enge pogirai', 'geetham sangeetham' paadalgaL soga rasathai pizhinjadhu. adhule oru vari 'odum vandi odum varai oda vidu' idhai kettu 'kaN munnaale oru mattu vandi iruttile hurricane viLakku thaLLadi vara madhiri oru scene vandhadhudi kaamu' appadingraar ivar.

Ramki
11th December 2006, 04:35 AM
On a related note. Last weekend my nephew shashank attended a workshop on ramakrishna paramahamsar. The workshop was conducted by VJ. She trained him and few other students on 3 songs (her own creation). My nephew mentioned she sang in a very high shruthi.
Seeing the children struggling to sing in her shruthi, she brought down her scale. My nephew can read tamizh but cannot write the language. Seeing him writing the lyrics in english, she urged him to learn the language soon and gaven an autograph for him in tamizh.

Neel D
11th December 2006, 06:50 AM
Naaz,

"I love you amarAvati" is a really good song. Wonderfully sung by VJ and MV. Though the pair sang many kuththu songs that were run-of-the-mill compositions, once in a while they got to sing some beautiful tunes such as these.

I love you amarAvati
sugarAgamE
sugam sugamE hEy
kAthal sorggam angganggE
muththam ennum nAval
enggE nAn kANbEn
inRu kARRukkum malarukkum
athO antha thenRal
alanggAram abishEgam
O mEgamE manamOhamE
malligai pUvukku kalyANam
eNNi irunthathu IdERa
vachchALAm neththippottu
pattula sElai
nAkkula mUkkula
manmathanthAn
Atti vechchA
thondaravu seyyAthE
iravum pagalum enakku
oru kAthal enpathu

Nice to see that the tunes came from all leading composers - MSV, S-G and IR.

Neel D
11th December 2006, 07:07 AM
Ramki,

Thanks so much for posting the article. VJ sang couple of her own compositions in NY last summer. One of those is gItam illAmal sanggItam illai. It is a really beautiful song. She also sings a Hindi version of the same song. VJ mentioned that she wrote those songs based on her life experiences. The songs are more philosophical and spiritual than devotional.

I am glad your nephew got to learn from VJ. It must have been an informative and entertaining experience.

Naaz
11th December 2006, 10:23 AM
Ramki -

Thank you for making the time to transcribe the whole piece for us! It is good to know that VJ is conducting workshops (lucky nephew you have!), and promoting Indian culture through music. That is a noble cause. It is something every Indian (no matter where they make their home now) ought to practice.

Neel D -

That's a fine list! I think Sugam Sugam Hey is one of IRs evergreen compositions. It is even more precious because it is one among his early hits (along with his songs from Dharma Yuththam, Sigappu Rojjaakkal, Achchaani, Aval Appadiththaan, Ilamai Oonjalaadugiradhu, Azhagae...) Whenever I listen to this duet I immediately think of "Hum Dono Do Premee..." from Ajnabee.
Vachchaalaam is a song with a frenetic pace and has a captivating rusticity about it. I am also partial to Indru Kaatrukkum Malarukkum Kalyaanamaam. " The other song that I like for its vibrancy is :
"Poovum Malaranthirukku, Kaayum Kanindhirukku, Ponnae Innum Enna Thayakkam..." The way VJ sings "Avasarappadalaamaa..." Nice!

Here's another rare one for you:

This one has the S-G ticks: Moving from Sandhanappunnagai to Alangaaram Abishekam to Enai Thaedum Maegam...:

"Mangalla Kungumam, Mangaiyin Ponmugam, Mannavan Maarbinil Sangamamaagum Naalae...Thirunaalae..." VJ-SPB

This is a really nice tune, if you can tune out the interludes drumbarums! :)

tvsankar
11th December 2006, 08:45 PM
Dear all,
One more song from T.RAjendar,

I don't know the film name. The song is,
"Nalamo ena naan ketpen" goes like that.Its by VJ i think.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Naaz
12th December 2006, 10:12 PM
Neel D -

I had forgotten all about "Thondaravu Seiyaathae"! IRs use of the chorus in this song is inspired! And it took me on to another tune not included in your list:
"Geetham Vandhadhu, Sangeetham Vandhadhu, Sruthiyodu Layam Saerndhadhu..." I can't recall any details about this song :x
And what about Sonnadhu Palikkudhu Paaru...an all-out rustic romp!
Adho Andha Thendral....This is from Poi Saatchi? There was another brisk number in this film...which one?
Did " Raaththiri Paattu Vara...Pakkaththile Vaa" feature VJ-MVD? or was it GA?

-------------------

Usha Sankar -

The song you mention is among the most challenging compositions by TR. Perhaps the only creation by TR with such a daunting octave/pitch.
Brilliant all over. Thanks for mentioning this phenomenal track! The film is Nenjil Oru Raagam (Saritha, Thiyagarajan and Shankar?)

Neel D
13th December 2006, 04:48 AM
Naaz,

"gItham vanthathu" is from the film "Thaambathyam". It must be a Sivaji film from the 80s. Music is by Raghavendar, I think. It is a beautiful song. I so wish that MV had not sung it with that fake Sivaji voice. He should have sung in his original voice. But VJ's voice is absolutely sweet.

rAththiri pAttu has four singers - VJ, MV, KSC and GA.

sonnathu palikkuthu is a fun song and very original. Most of the songs from that film (Karai Kadantha Oruththi) were ignored, or banned, by AIR, except the SJ solo "Odaththula" which got some air time.

athO antha thenRal is one of my favorite songs. It sounds so much like an MGR song. The other song from the film is "yArum pAththathillE". It is a nice song too, but the lyrics should have been polished a little bit.

madhu
13th December 2006, 07:17 AM
Hi Neel..

MV, VJ - some not so popular ( but really good ) songs like "thenna mara thoppukulle" from Michael raj are also to be added ... :)

Naaz
13th December 2006, 09:38 AM
Neel D -

MVD singing in "Sivaji" mode was indeed artificial most of the time.
This line from Poongaatru Thirumbumaa... "Enna Solluvaen En Ullam Thaangala, Meththa Vaanginaen Thookaththa Vaangala..." For me, this was the fun side of parody! That said, I think MM was perhaps the only film in which the "Siboom" worked a bit better than the rest.

Yaarum Paarththadhile Naan Vayasu Vandha Pullae...That's the song! Your memory is too good!!

Was "Hey Pachchakkili, Ishtapadi Vachchukkadi Indha Maamane..."
by VJ-MVD? I think it was from Anna Nagar Muthal Theru...
And: "Irukannil Meenaatchiyo, Idhazh Konjum Thaenaatchiyo" from Aemaatraathae Aemaaraathae...? Both CB tunes?

Don't talk to me about Odaththule Thanneeru...A bonafide drip! Really!

Neel D
13th December 2006, 10:21 PM
http://www.newstodaynet.com/music06/1012mu2.htm

http://music.webulagam.com/HtmlPagesAndImages/interview1.htm

Neel D
13th December 2006, 10:53 PM
Madhu,

thennamara thOppukkuLLa is a good song. But I skipped it because I thought that it was one of those regular scores from Chandrabose. Same reason I skipped "hEy pachchakkiLi" for.

Naaz,

I like pUngkARRu thirumbumA. I think MV's voice is fine in that one. But gItam vanthathu is so stiff.

I should add "iru kaNNil mInAtchiyO" to my list. It is a very good song. It also sounds like an MGR-song.

Odaththula thaNNIru is over-sad but it is a good tune. I haven't listened to "pachchamala pakkaththula kuRaththi" from the same film in many years. I believe that is by VJ & MV too.

Just remembered another good song by VJ & MV. "pani thenRal kARRE vA" from Oomai Kanavu Kandaal.

Naaz
14th December 2006, 12:27 AM
Neel D -

The interview from webulagam is comprehensive.

"Open throated practice everyday is a must."

No evidence of this in the crop of the last decade. Long live auto-tuner!! :)

"Perfect sruti alignment is one of the essential requisites of good music but when Vani strikes a note, it is much beyond that. The note touches your heart, penetrates into you, chokes you with emotion and very often makes you weep out of sheer ecstasy."

That's VJ for you!

----------------------------

My pick from MM will be: Hey Kuruvi Chittukkuruvi....simply lovely.

I have not heard "Pani Thendral Kaatre Vaa..." But this took me to another rare VJ-MVD duet: Kaatre Sellu Oru Kaadhal Thoodhu, Ival Aengum Maadhu..." from Pozhudhu Vidinjaachchu (IR)
And another: "Paayum Puli Padhunguvadhaen..." from Kuvaa Kuvaa Vaaththukkal (IR)

When I called Odaththule a 'drip' , I was referring to the smothering sogam in the song. Bluezies are.... Joooteeez for me! :P

Neel D
14th December 2006, 07:08 AM
Naaz,

That was a good interview.

Is "kARRE sellu" by IR? or GA? It is a superb song. Very smooth. It does have all of IR's elements. Don't know why it did not become popular. May be because the film flopped.

Never heard "pAyum puli pathungguvathEn".

Naaz
14th December 2006, 10:44 AM
Neel D -

Does WebUlagam have a publication in print? Or is it exclusively web focused? I have not visited that site before. It was nice to see another doyenne, Vyjayanthimala Bali, on the stage with VJ in that photo.

Kaatre Sellu was by IR. PV was the final instalment of director GA's "Avian" Trilogy:
Kozhi. Kokkarakko. Pozhudhu.

Now I am not sure if Payum Puli was in KKV or by VJ. SJ, perhaps?

Neel D
15th December 2006, 12:10 AM
Naaz,

Don't know much about webulagam. But Mudhra organization has a publication in pirnt called "Samudhra", a monthly I think. The interviewer Radha Bhasker is a founder of Mudhra. If you are looking for a print edition of the interview it will be in Samudhra.

kARRE sellu keeps playing in my head. What a lovely song that is. Wish we could recreate those times, those songs, those voices.

Naaz
15th December 2006, 04:59 AM
Neel D -

It is the lilt of the song which wraps your body and ties your heart with happy ribbons of colour...Vintage IR stuff! I remember listening to this song on the late-night "sponsor-slot" radio programmes hosted by a woman called "Prabhu"...It seems like another lifetime, it was so long ago. But the moment I heard this particular song, it grabbed me - and has stayed with me ever since.

"Wish we could recreate those times, those songs, those voices."

Don't we do so everytime we listen to them? Not with a sense of loss and longing, but with a sensation of being reborn and retouched by memories made anew? I've learned to count my blessings! :)

madhu
15th December 2006, 05:28 AM
I donno whether I can post my song request here.. But I think this is the perfect place to search..

can anybody give me the link to a VJ song "ammadi konja neram konja vendum Odi va" from "deviyin thirumanam" ?

thanks in advance.

Naaz
16th December 2006, 03:44 AM
madhu -

That's a classic VJ solo. The VJ website had it, but they no longer feature songs. Cooltoad.com might be worth a try.

madhu
16th December 2006, 07:18 AM
Naaz..

I searched everywhere.. :(

tvsankar
16th December 2006, 08:06 AM
Dear all,
Three more songs by VJ with PS i think...

1. Athanin mandapathil

2. Sri devi varam ketkiral..

3.Kannadi amma un idhayam en kannae

Enna padam yar nadithadhu onrum theiryavillai.Anal padalgal radio vil kettu irukiren. Beautiful tunes.

With Love,
USha Sankar.

Neel D
19th December 2006, 03:47 AM
Naaz,
kAthal sorggam angganggE is a lilting melody also, just like kARRE sellu.

madhu,
I can't find a link to that song either.

tvsankar,
Those are nice songs.

aththANi maNdapaththil - Maharaasi Vaazhga
srIdEvi varam kEtkiRAL - Deviyin Thirumanam
kaNNAdi ammA - Paadhapoojai

madhu
21st December 2006, 03:35 PM
Just yesterday I just had a glimpse of a movie called "kadavuLukku oru kaditham"

There was a beautiful duet by Jayachandran and VJ "ennadhAn indha mounam". Any other VJ song from that movie ?

any idea about the MD and lyricist ?

Naaz
21st December 2006, 09:50 PM
madhu -

Did you record the song? How I wish you had (or did)...I have been looking for this duet for a very long time!
"Ennadhaan Indha Mounam, Sannidhaanaththil, Indha Naeraththil, Unakkendha Dyaanaththil Kavanam" A lost gem of a song!

Appadiyae...when you are trying to record the above :D please also look for "Idhu Varai Sivaraaththiri, Ini En Vaazhvil Alangaara Navaraaththiri" from Aadugal Nanaigindrana (starring Rupa and Rajeev?)

madhu
21st December 2006, 10:18 PM
Hi Naaz ! :oops: sorry..

I just watched this song.. when I was having my lunch in a hotel in a small town. Anyway certainly they will air this movei in KTV once again I think... Let me hope so..

Neel D
23rd December 2006, 05:25 AM
Hmm... cannot recall either of those songs, "ennathAn" or "ithuvarai".

madhu
23rd December 2006, 07:14 AM
Hi Naaz., Neel

Is there any site where I can find the complete list of songs of VJ ?

Naaz
23rd December 2006, 08:11 PM
Neel D -

"Ennadhaan..." and "Idhuvarai..." are rare tracks. I have only heard these songs around the time of the film's release...maybe 3 times in all!

madhu -

The VJ website is the best source I know of. Although the songs have been removed, there is an Index with a few hundred listings...A good place to start your compilation.

Neel D
27th December 2006, 10:28 PM
Naaz,

I should look around for those two songs then.

Remember the song "aRai koduththAl theriyum". What a brilliant composition it is!

madhu,

You can find some at www.vanijairam.com

Naaz
28th December 2006, 12:51 AM
Neel D -

That's a brilliant composition by MSV! The shifts and transition and pace of the duet is dizzying and unpredictable. VJ-TMS sing with such gusto and elan...saryiaana potti!
The pun on "Arai" is typical KD(guessing here!!)...wish I could name the film...Oru Arai Koduththaalum Theriyaadhu!! :lol:

Neel D
4th January 2007, 07:34 AM
Naaz,

The mood of the two characters and the way they express their feelings are perfectly captured in the tune by MSV. The lyricist's lines cannot be any more suitable to the tune. The tune and the words go hand in hand.

TMS's anger and stubbornness against VJ's clever manipulation and seduction... it is a musical theater experience.

rekhs_h
14th January 2007, 08:24 PM
hi guys
i am a new member...just wanted to add my 2p worth:) i think VJ and SPB sir have sung some lovely songs,as also PJ and VJ,when u guys hv time pls look into our lyrics collection @ www.thiraigaanam.com,
we have the max collection of lyrics as of now i think online of tfm songs:)

Neel D
16th January 2007, 10:04 AM
All,

A review of VJ's concert for Mudhra organization has been uploaded at www.vanijairam.com

rekhs_h,

Welcome to VJ Songs thread. That is a nice website you have. Good job.

rekhs_h
17th January 2007, 10:18 AM
All,

A review of VJ's concert for Mudhra organization has been uploaded at www.vanijairam.com

rekhs_h,

Welcome to VJ Songs thread. That is a nice website you have. Good job.

thanks ND,i am a hardcore VJ fan,( besides SPB sir)it took us more than a yr and lot of time and passion for tfm :) we originally had a yahoo group tamil song lyrics which suddenly vanished into thin air!! so we re assembled all the songs some 6500 in all and our database is growing day by day..still miles to go b4 we sleep:)its not an one (wo)man's job but a group of music lovers fm all over and we call ourselves X-F mathlab extended family :)
incidentally my husband is directing along with newton a lyricist the movie thoovaanam,surya launched our audio,and md is isaac thomas,we r shooting the songs now,wld appreciate if u guys sent in ur prayers too as we fm the thoovaanam team suffer fm acute butterfiles in our tummies:)) sorry if this thread is not abt this,just wanted u guys to know.anyone interested for more news cn mail me at rekhs_h@yahoo.com.one small request cn i pls b called simply as rekhs!
and thanks a gallon for the welcome :)

Neel D
18th January 2007, 08:51 AM
rekhs,

Nice to know that you are a hardcore VJ fan too. Keep up the good work with the website. Also, wish you and your husband the best with the film venture. I will check out the songs from Thoovaanam when I get a chance.

tvsankar
18th January 2007, 10:24 AM
Dear all,

Two songs from IR by VJ - i don't know whether it is already mentioned in this thread.

1. Manjal araikum podhu - Alukoru asai

2. Kettal ketta varam - Dhurka Devi

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
23rd January 2007, 12:02 AM
All,

A new interview with VJ has been featured at www.merina.com

Neel D
23rd January 2007, 09:29 AM
All,

The duration of the interview is about 81 minutes, which includes few full length songs. It is a really great interview. Don't miss it. Make sure you allocate time enough to listen to the whole interview.

tvsankar
23rd January 2007, 10:52 AM
Dear Neel D,
Thank you very much for the audio.Its a GREAT one.

Yezhu Swarangalukul - inrum adhae kural , bhavam. Great.

AATHMARTHAMANA ORU INTERVIEW FROM VJ...

VJ varutha padavadhu pol - India vil indha madhiri oru interview ai VJ vudan seidhadhu illai.

MY heartiest THANKS to Merina radio and Rajalakshmi.

Thank you once again Neel. Audio Quailty is Excellent.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Neel D
23rd January 2007, 07:36 PM
Usha Sankar,

That is true. It is a candid interview. I only posted the link to the interview. Please thank merina.com for bringing it to us. You could send them an email.

AV
9th April 2007, 03:54 AM
Here is a link to a website that contains a lovely archive of Oriya songs by all the great singers from all over the country, and a systematic categorization of the various genres, and listings by singer, music directors etc.

And of course, do not forget to listen to songs by VJ! :-)

While writing, I am enjoying VJ's songs for Prafulla Kar, in the film sati Anusuya.

Happy listenings!

AV
9th April 2007, 03:55 AM
Geez...and I forgot the link! :-)

http://oriyamusic.com

Naaz
10th April 2007, 04:20 AM
AV -

That site is a find. I listened to a few tracks today. Nache from Sati Anusuya and the qu'wwali from Sindura Bindu are good. Tiki Tiki is also a nice one. I think Prafulla Kar composed VJs (version of) Gita Govindam? I have to look it up.
Thanks for sharing.

Neel D -

When you presented Arai Koduththaal Theriyum at POTW, I was reminded of another brilliant composition by MSV, featuring VJ/SPB:
Amman Alangaaram, Andhippagal Naeram...(?? can't remember the right words) - but it lingers as a great tune.

AV
10th April 2007, 12:07 PM
Nache re....is a lovely Yaman (for the most part, though the interludes move into another raga). The duet "kuhu kuhu..." from the same film is also enchanting. Yes, Prafulla Kar it was who had composed the music for VJ's Geeta Govindam.

Naaz
11th April 2007, 12:45 AM
AV -

It will take a whole summer to sample every track at that site. I've bookmarked it, and plan on visiting it again in the next few months.
Thanks for the GG/PK confirmation.

Neel D -

Thanks to AV, I am revisiting some VJ songs in my files after many, many months...and such a rediscovery it is!
It is beyond certainty that MSV summoned VJ to deliver his best solos in the late 70s/early 80s.

After more than two decades, these songs still wrap me in awe:

Malligai Malareduththu, Maaranthanaik Kodukka...

Azhagukku Mugavari Kaettaen, Ammamma...

Isaiththuraiyil Enakku Kaadhal Vaegam...

Konji Konji Muththamidum...

Mangala Poomazhai, Pongidum Thirumeni...

Naan Ethirpaarththadhu, Anbae...

I'll stop there for now!

:)

Neel D
13th April 2007, 08:26 AM
AV,

Thanks for the link. Great songs!

Naaz,

Wonderful solos! And there are many more like these by MSV and VJ. Also S-G and VJ gave many great solos.

Naaz
14th April 2007, 11:40 PM
AV, Neel D, All -

Here's a review of a recent concert in Chennai.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/04/13/stories/2007041300180200.htm

AV
19th April 2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vani%20jayaram&search=Search

VJ singing two of her most famous Malayalam solos live!

And a video-clip of ennullil engo. When I heard this solo for the first time, I had always imagined that a great deal of effort would have gone in picturizing it, given the beauty of the composition, the interludes and the singing. But I find the picturization non-descript, to put it mildly.

Naaz
21st April 2007, 06:23 AM
AV -

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

Here's what a "descript" picturisation of a TF song from around that time would be: women in white bridal gowns (if you prefer, you can also find them with angel wings) popping up in tea plantations, dangling from hurt branches, hopscotching on rocks in the mid-day sun...

You learn to count the small blessings, trust me.

PS: RR, threads don't indicate current activity anymore?

Neel D
24th April 2007, 10:09 AM
AV, thanks for the link.

AV
30th April 2007, 12:00 AM
Meenatchi Thirukalyaanam (Meenatchi Thiruvilaiyaadal): VJ and KJY

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vani+jayram&search=Search

Enjoy!

Digression:
Also, I wish to share a non-VJ link. Two beautiful Hindustani bandishes, which have been extremely popular, and I am sure you would all enjoy the elegant voice of the singer Prabha Atre who rendered them in the early 70s:

http://surasa.net/music/hindustani/

1) tan man dhan... (Raaga Kalavati)
2) jaagoon main saari rainaa (Raaga Marubihaag)

The above site also has a plethora of Tyagaraaja kritis by Balamuralikrishna.

Happy listenings!

Naaz
4th May 2007, 08:11 PM
AV -

Meenaatchi Thirukkalyaanam is a magnificent narrative, done with easy elan by VJ-KJY.
The same link has two VJ classics - Maari Thirisooli, and Maelmaruvaththooril Valar Maragadhamae - that are equally divine. Thanks for sharing!

Neel D
3rd June 2007, 06:30 AM
All, check these out:

Yaaro Yaaro
Anchaaru Naalaachu
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001100.html

Pottu Vachu
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001108.html

Pappaali
Muvezhu
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001066.html

Aadal
Kalaiyatha
Naan Ennavendru
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001110.html

RC
26th July 2007, 06:45 AM
Naaz (Not sure if you are visiting the hub), Neel D: KTV is telecasting KadavuLukku oru kaditham tomorrow ( July 26 2007) at 7:00 AM!

Neel D
26th July 2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks RC. But unfortunately, I don't get KTV. :-(

RC
26th July 2007, 07:15 PM
enna thaan indha mounam sannidhaanathil indha nErathil indha dyaanaththil gavanam is a nice VJ-PJ song!

RC
26th July 2007, 08:31 PM
Though not relevant to this thread, another nice song in KadavuLukku Or kaditham is
vasanthangaL vaazhththu solla anbu thangai malarndhaaLE
maNamagaL kOlam thannai maNakkanil kaNdEne
by MV!

Neel D
19th August 2007, 09:29 PM
My Kind of Places - The Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2007/08/18/stories/2007081851320200.htm

Neel D
5th September 2007, 10:52 PM
Upcoming Concert - Sep 9, 2007

VJ will be performing a Golden Nite concert with LakshmanShruti Orchestra in Chennai at Nehru Indoor Stadium on the 9th of September 2007 (coming Sunday). Click on the link below and look at the center of the page. Has nice articles and photo galleries on VJ too.

http://www.lakshmansruthi.com/index.asp

Neel D
7th September 2007, 12:49 AM
Vani Jairam Interview

A video interview with VJ has been added at www.lakshmansruthi.com
Do not miss.

Neel D
14th September 2007, 03:58 AM
Golden Nite Concert - Pictures and Article

Check it out: http://www.lakshmansruthi.com/index.asp

Neel D
14th September 2007, 09:52 AM
Voice that transcends time

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/09/14/stories/2007091450370200.htm

Neel D
25th November 2007, 09:37 AM
Y'all,

An html file containing past discussions from this thread has been uploaded in VJ Songs yahoo group under Files section. The file was compiled by a kind poster whose name I have now forgotten. It contains six years (Jan99-Dec04) of discussions that took place at this thread.

The file can be downloaded to your local drive and then opened with your internet browser. It is a long read. Plenty of information about VJ's songs, discussions, debates, analyses, arguments, fun, fight, etc. You may have to subscribe to the group if you haven't already.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/vanijayaramsongs/

Happy reading! :)

Neel D
6th March 2008, 10:08 AM
Y'all,

Kumudam interview with VJ.
http://www.kumudam.com/cinema.php?id=6&strid=2888&stream=1

If you are not a registered user at Kumudam http://www.kumudam.com , you will have to register to play the interview. Registration is free.

Neel D
9th March 2008, 09:34 PM
Kicking the thread up...

Do not miss the Kumudam interview.

:)

baroque
9th March 2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, Sir! I enjoyed the interview yesterday midnight when I couldn't sleep with my allergies, headaches etc.. :cry: :cry: :(
thank you Vani for the wonderful AAYIRAM AANDUGAL.... & other wonderful aalapanas, gave me comfort :ty: :musicsmile:
I drop by to post it, you have already done! :clap:

Neel D
15th April 2008, 09:55 AM
VJ Interview by Unni Menon (Malayalam)

Great interview!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDLTi2FvgQ&feature=related

Neel D
21st April 2008, 08:36 PM
Kicking... for the interview.

baroque
23rd April 2008, 10:52 AM
:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump: :musicsmile: :swinghead:

After a hardworking day, Watching part-1, Vani's Bole re.... with hot ginger & yelachi tea! (bonus - my two boys (big & small) settled in bed, appaada! :) )

What a sugam!

Aahaa, such a sowkyam, kushi neranju in my manasu !

:ty: What a Goddess!

baroque
24th April 2008, 03:07 AM
Vaniji!!

Couldn't resist, one more time watched the part - 1!! :clap:

I was listening to Raagam by Salil Chowdhury, just checking the year - it says 1975!

Naadan paatille maina
nadodi paatille maina.... enchanting, lilting musical.

kutti prelude humming is SWEET.

Listen to the voice now! Still the same sweet, vibrant ! :musicsmile:

ATTRACTIVE! IMMORTAL! Way to go Vani!

:ty: :ty:

baroque
24th April 2008, 08:50 AM
HUM KO MAN Ki SHAKTHI......

MALLIGAI EN MANNAN..... & more in Part - 2

:musicsmile: :musicsmile: :musicsmile: :musicsmile:

Legend ROCKS!!

Vaniji, I will return after preparing garam chai for hubby!

Enjoying Vaniji's aalapanas with garam chai... LIFE IS HEAVEN!!

Malligai en mannan mayangum....

Pt.Ravi Shankar's MEERA!!

Ayri Main to prem diwani......heavenly humming, Divine singing!! :ty: for the masterpiece!

Look at her, feeling great, happy & energetic!!

Uppu suththi podanum, ungalukku!!

good night, Vinatha.

baroque
29th April 2008, 03:42 AM
Unni Menon, You ROCK MAN!! :bluejump: :redjump: :ty:

love the interview!

Enjoyed the spirit, energy & enthusiasm!

Vani Jayaram - What a sophisticated lady!

:ty: :ty:

love, vinatha.

Neel D
2nd June 2008, 08:05 PM
VJ Concert Review - May 31, 2008 - Toronto, Canada

http://www.rogerscentre.com/fun/news/Megastar_showcase.html

FYI - VJ may be doing more concerts in Toronto. I don't have the schedule. Please inquire around if you live in the area.

SVN
15th August 2008, 09:53 PM
Just happened to unearth some gems from Vani Jayaram's Oriya films. You can find some more if you search for Bani Jayaram

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/oriya/m/singer.3036

AV
19th August 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for this link. And here's one more:

http://www.odiamusic.com/Category/CategoryResult.php?first=0&second=Vani%20Jayaram

It's a wonderful website on Oriya music in general. It quite surprises me to see the sheer variety of musical genres within such a small province. Let me mention some of my favourites from the above link. VJ's singing in some of them is really stellar:

* Kuhu Kuhu Bane Kuhu Gaae Koili
* Megha Borosil Tupuru Tupuru
* Nache Re Priya Nayane Nayana Nache

Youtube has come a blessing for all Indian music fans, and we VJ fans are no exception. Just check search for "vani Jairam" on youtube, and there is the entire movie Meera, there is a song from Vasant Desai's last movie Shaque (though the picturisation makes one wonder what the Censor Board was doing those days), some live concert renditions by VJ, and some delightful Tamil movie songs. There are some mistakes though - for instance, there is a clip credited to VJ which is actually some other singer!

Some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdVj_Pj88Pg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M43XQQU-eE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYK_rBsoA6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utpk9HdQUho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EZY5Bg0jE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_i4kfejJ8

Ramki
15th September 2008, 04:39 PM
Neelamayil Thandapani = Neel D?

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/16253.html

tvsankar
15th September 2008, 07:13 PM
Dear Ramki,
TFM POW Neel irukara andha photovil??
irukar na yar enru solla mudiyuma??

(adhu seri. Neenga endha Ramki - POW Ramki ya?? pl clarify me...)

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

app_engine
16th September 2008, 06:57 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=438953&disdate=9/16/2008

ஏனிந்தக்கோபம்?

நல்ல விழாக்களில் திட்டித்தீர்த்து (அரசியல் மேடை போல) மோசம் செய்வது தமிழ்நாட்டில் பெருகி வருகிறதோ எனத்தோன்றுகிறது:-(

app_engine
16th September 2008, 07:00 PM
Nice to see VJ active. I wish IR had her sing at least one song in 'uLiyin Osai' as he used to do earlier for a number of his semi-classical numbers. 'abhinayam kAttukindRa AraNangE' would have been in a different plane had VJ & KSC rendered the song instead of the regular carnatic singers, IMHO.

Neel D
22nd September 2008, 10:16 PM
Ramki, your guess is correct. :)

Y'all,
In a day or two the albums should be available in selected stores in Tamilnadu.

baroque
23rd September 2008, 09:35 AM
Appadiyaa :clap: :musicsmile:
Neel , Can you tell us more about the poetry/sahithyam of the songs?
Is it a thematic/concept album?
:ty:

Vinatha.

AV
24th September 2008, 06:41 PM
Ramki, your guess is correct. :)

Y'all,
In a day or two the albums should be available in selected stores in Tamilnadu.

Okay, if I may ask, here's one more question:

Many many days (months?) ago, I'd browsed the following website:

http://www.stonewallcreations.com/albums.html

and saw the following name in the lyricists:
"Neelamyle"

Is that another way your name is spelt?

Naaz
24th September 2008, 11:38 PM
Neel D -

Thank you for sharing those two (and astonishing) tracks from the new albums with me! Such a rare honour!!
I spoke to VJ a few days ago and congratulated her on the mind blowing Vellai Thaalile and Thavamaai...VJ and her Jazz lilt...Whoa!!!!!! I've lost count of the times I've listened to those tracks (playing right now on my media player as I type this!)
Can't wait to get my hands on all the discs! Let me know where I can order them up!

Neel D
25th September 2008, 09:15 AM
baroque,

The new albums are all individual themes (a theme/concept for a song). Three albums (Netrichutti, Vellaithaaliley and Mazhaikaala Paravaigal) are already listed at stonewallcreations.com. The other three albums will be soon added to the website as soon as I find the time.

AV,

That is the way I spell my first name. The press spelled both my first name and last name differently. :)

Naaz,

Thanks. There are many more wonderful songs like that. I will post the details at the website soon, again as soon as I find the time. :)

baroque
25th September 2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks AV for the link.
I check it out.

Thanks. Very Proud of you, Neel. :) :clap:

Naaz, You talk to Vani :D , romba you are blessed. :swinghead:
vinatha.

baroque
25th September 2008, 12:07 PM
Adadaa..
Aasaiyaa link ley partha.. no audio samples :( :) yemaandhu ponen!
Vinatha

Naaz
25th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Neel D -

I think baroque is onto something...

60 sec samples from selected tracks would be nice! Would you be able to put these up at the VJ site? Do try! (If you do, please announce it at the VJ Yahoo discussion group, and send alerts!!)
I must say this: Shaktinathan is a composer to watch out for! VJ told me that the songs in these albums are among the toughest that have come her way. The scale of the two songs I've heard are unlike any other I've heard in Tamizh music. And VJ hits it out of the park...way, way and far out!

baroque -

Yes, I am blessed. Rombo! :-)

Neel D
26th September 2008, 11:52 AM
baroque & Naaz,
I will certainly post some sample clips in a few days.

baroque
26th September 2008, 10:18 PM
Naaz, Next time when you talk to her, please convey my love & admiration too.
Neel,
Great! Please upload when time permits.
adhuvarai.. see what I indulge!
Very attitude Vani, Outrageous Balu with good old Dashing Ilayaraja in Vaa vaa pakkam vaa....Thanga Magan. :bluejump: :redjump: :ty:
http://www.smashits.com/songs/tamil/play/songs/2686/THANGAMAHAN/24656/Vaa-Vaa-Pakkam-Vaa.html

Neel D
18th October 2008, 09:58 AM
All,

Song clips from the albums have been uploaded. Please check them out.

baroque
19th October 2008, 10:05 AM
So many tracks to check out, Neel!:D
Orchestration is appealing.
Oru kunguma...., naan naana...., enna solla....etc.
I see my favorite combos with eagerness & love gushing in my mansu with gratitude for all those wonderful zillion compositions under KVM,MSV,Salil,LP,IR,ARR,SG... hindi ,tamil, malayam etc.. :ty: :ty: I follow up rest of them too.
Thanks for your effort, samples neatly done.
vinatha.

Naaz
1st November 2008, 12:22 AM
Neel D -

My ship came in!
There is only one word to describe this project: PHENOMENAL!

VJ - Harish Ragavendra...what a mesmerizing duo!
Vannaththamizh Maalai, Kalaiarangam Kannil Minna, Vaan Maegame,...simply superb.

More when I have had more of these tunes!:-)

Neel D
3rd November 2008, 01:12 AM
Naaz,

Thanks. VJ-HR is a great duo. How about Kannoram Minnum, En Iniyavale, Munpani Pinpani, Penn Manamaa, Imaigal Moodamale, etc.

Similarly VJ and Karthik. Iravondru Undendru, and Enna Solla Enna Solla are captivating.

Balram and VJ, so unique... Thathai Nenje Enai Thangum Nenje.

Kalai Arangam Kannil (Srinivas) :swinghead:
Neththi Chutti Neliya (Krishnaraj) :musicsmile:
Pirikindrathe (Haricharan) :clap:

I think VJ clicked with all the new generation singers. :2thumbsup:

Naaz
7th November 2008, 01:18 AM
Neel D -

I don't want to hog this thread with reviews of songs from the new VJ albums. I'll post my takes on the tunes at the VJ Yahoo Group in the next few weeks...

Malarum Malaril - the pace of this song is breathtaking (and VJ never takes a breath!!), and the final impression is...whirlwind.

Pirigindrathae Oru Kaadhal - a song about separation, but the overall effect is one of acceptance without a trace of bitterness. The tune beautifully contradicts the sentiment. Nice!

Pathinettu Vayasu - This tune sums up VJ's effervescence. Hard to believe she is 60!

Catch you at the egroup soon.

raagadevan
7th November 2008, 10:40 AM
A Connoisseur's Delight

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/11/07/stories/2008110750980300.htm

Congratulations, Neel! :)

vengayam
7th November 2008, 02:12 PM
naaz,
you are still active!
of course if it is VJ you have to be!

Neel D
7th November 2008, 07:38 PM
Thank you raagadevan!

Naaz
7th November 2008, 08:48 PM
Raagadevan -

Thanks for the link to The Hindu's review.

Neel D -

Congratulations! That's a fine review, right from the headline!

vengayam -

My posts here add up to 288. I've been posting my two bits to the Pick Of The Week thread, time and again. I've also written a few pieces for the TFMpage Magazine.
Not that it needs to be highlighted, but you're the one that went AWOL from this site.
15 posts? Such (unnecessary) restraint!
You can do better than that! :-)

baroque
19th November 2008, 08:27 AM
Hey, they are hosting Kuppathu Raja's thinthom thinthom endru aadinaal....
Thanks. Very Happy :ty: :ty:

http://musicz.in/index.php?album=Tamil+mp3+songs%2FRajini+hits%2FKu ppathu+raja

VANI JAYARAM's soulful aalap. She is pouring her agony.
Emotional lyrics.
Tantalizing mujra from Classical Prowess!

nice pattu break for me this Tuesday evening. :musicsmile:

aruvi
28th November 2008, 09:15 AM
Below are links to an interview of Vanijayaram, conducted by singer Unnimenon for a Malayalam channel. They speak mainly in english. You can hear her sing songs in Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam etc. More than that, I was amazed at her memory power and her genius. She is even able to recall interludes, and actually sang the tune of an interlude, to Unnimenon's surprise.

Part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDLTi2FvgQ
Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Fjj0b2kMo&feature=related
PART 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyW9CjS324&feature=related
Part4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6crmoSlQDM&feature=related
Part5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmaPWzYK8E&feature=related

Enjoy...I love these Malayalam channels that excel in music related programs.

Neel D
20th December 2008, 07:25 AM
Two rare VJ songs (Hindi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBkw5-eb5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTP2uNJiCbc

Edited to add two more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJWrdSJppQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSNeL6TAKw

Neel D
2nd January 2009, 10:34 AM
Couple of excerpts from a recent book on Vasant Desai by Vishwas Nerurkar and Biswanath Chatterjee. VJ released the book in Mumbai on December 22, 2008.

Veteran songwriter Gulzar says this about VJ in the book...

After Ashirwad I did Guddi(1971) with Dada. During its making, whenever I went to Dada's place to discuss the music, I would see a beautiful girl sitting in the corner of the room doodling in a notebook. I used to compare her with a student who is not interested in studies and wasting the teacher's time by drawing senseless pictures. I was convinced that this girl would achieve nothing in her life. But she turned out to be a surprise when she sang her first song "Bol re Papi Hara". Overnight she became a nationwide sensation. I wrote "Bole re Papi Hara" and Vani Jairam sang it. Rest is history.

Vani Jairam proved to be a very intelligent disciple of Dada. She has an incredible memory for music. She could recall not only the tune of the song but also its interlude in all its minute details including the instruments and the notes employed. During the making of Meera, I had observed how Pandit Ravi Shankarji could always trust her to recollect the phrases and intricacies of a song he had composed for the film and Vani never let the Maestro down.

Please visit this blog for additional details:
http://onepercent.sulekha.com/blog/post/2008/12/vasant-desai-vani-jairam-maestro-singer-par-excellence.htm

Neel D
6th January 2009, 10:10 PM
Vani Jairam concerts - January 2009

All music fans,

Vani Jairam will be performing in Paris, London and Zurich next week. If you live in the area please contact your local Tamil association for date, time and venue of the concerts.

Happy Pongal!

Neel D
7th January 2009, 08:44 PM
Shankara Nethralaya Award for Vani Jairam

http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/05/stories/2009010557190200.htm

Neel D
8th January 2009, 08:55 PM
One more rare song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWXFycLYLEU

Neel D
18th January 2009, 10:24 AM
Concert Schedule Update

VJ's concert in Paris on the 11th of January was a grand success.

Pongal celebrations in London and Zurich have been cancelled and the concerts in those cities have been postponed to July.

Neel D
24th January 2009, 06:39 AM
Raj TV Lifetime Achievement Award for Vani Jairam

Vani Jairam is being honored with Lifetime Achievement Award by Raj TV on 26th January at Image Auditorium, Chennai in their Rajageetham programme presented by B.H.Abdul Hameed. The programme will be telecast live on 26th January '09 in the evening.

Congratulations Vaniamma! :clap: