PDA

View Full Version : What can I take to U.S

Kavitha Ravi
15th June 2007, 07:30 PM
Dear friends, I am going to U.S with my sis-in-laws children. They are going to stay with their mum there.
I am from Malaysia. I would be very greatful if anyone can guide me as to what food stuffs I can take from here.
My sis-in-law wants pineapple tarts, and garlic pickel.
Are we allowed to take them. Please kindly help me.
Thanks. Kavitha Ravi.

rajraj
17th June 2007, 08:06 AM
Dear friends, I am going to U.S with my sis-in-laws children. They are going to stay with their mum there.
I am from Malaysia. I would be very greatful if anyone can guide me as to what food stuffs I can take from here.
Thanks. Kavitha Ravi.

Kavitha: Strictly no food. Food of any kind and agricultural products(fruits,flowers,plants etc) are prohibited. You are expected to declare everything when you pass through immigration/customs. People do sneak in these things. If you are caught they can impose a fine and confiscate what you carry. In most cases they(customs agents) just throw them away. Your sister in law should know.

pavalamani pragasam
17th June 2007, 08:14 AM
That is what is shown in the movie, 'jeans'(or 'genes'?). But veteran travellers like my friend's family who have returning there for so many years are known to successfully 'smuggle' their favourite items like betel leaves & 'aattuthalai kaRi'!!!!!!! I don't know how they manage to squueze them secretively inside their bulky luggage!

MazhaiKuruvi
17th June 2007, 02:44 PM
Regarding, what you can take, as the mod said, food items, especially home made pickles etc. are prohibited. However, these are invariably taken by many travellers to and residents of US. However, the possibility of your baggage being checked on arrival (especially because you are tourist) is high. If found, and you plead ignorance, the customs officer will throw away the said food item. If you are willing to lose it, then take it.

ajithfederer
17th June 2007, 06:59 PM
You cant take pickles and stuff to US. However u can bring food items like Murukku and other which dont spoil so immediately.
U can also bring Masala packets (Garam masala, sambar thool, rasam powder in packets.) :wink: .
U can also bring Ready to eat Food items (Stuff like take from the packet, boil and eat kind) :P .
Utensils like Pressure cooker and Idly cooker are available here in most Indian stores so u need not bring them here.
and what else, I am in Philadelphia u can buy something for me too :lol2: :lol:

MazhaiKuruvi
17th June 2007, 08:25 PM
Philly-la masala powder, murukku ellaam kidaikkalaiya? :)

ennadhaan irundhaalumveetla senja oorukaiya thirruttuthanama anga kondupoi saapdradhula oru thani taste irukku

Lambretta
17th June 2007, 11:38 PM
Geez I'm surprised to know pickles arent allowed!! :o
Since when hav they been banned? There r still many shops here where they pack pickles for taking abroad.......:?
'guess this sure wud turn out to be a huuuuuuge disappointment for NRI Telugus! :P :(
And rajraj, as for taking flowers, uh...r u not allowed to pass thru even if wearing them in ur hair (eg. mallipoo)? :roll:

Anoushka
18th June 2007, 03:22 AM
As Raj said, if they check your luggage and you get caught, you will lose all your stuff. Keep that in mind. If that is ok with you then you can try and "smuggle" in food stuff! :)

http://www.discoverabroad.com/US/ArrivalInfo/Customsandimmigration.htm - here is a more detailed information on what kind of food you can carry!

Anoushka
18th June 2007, 03:27 AM
Lamby: generally flowers/plants are not allowed, but if you are wearing them in your hair it is ok.

Plants, flowers could carry parasites, viruses, etc. That is why they are not allowed.

Food in general and meat products in particular is not allowed in most countries because of the same reason.

I've heard that in Australia, to carry food from one region into another region you need a license.

ajithfederer
18th June 2007, 06:45 AM
We do get in Indian stores. But the point is U can bring a lot of them (if u can from ur home country) and use it for quite sometime. :)

Philly-la masala powder, murukku ellaam kidaikkalaiya? :)

ennadhaan irundhaalumveetla senja oorukaiya thirruttuthanama anga kondupoi saapdradhula oru thani taste irukku

Lambretta
18th June 2007, 11:38 AM
:yes: :exactly:

Anou, tks for the clari.! :) Howz the real Anou doing btw? :)

Sudhaama
18th June 2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks. Kavitha Ravi.

Hi Dear Kavitha,

Only now I saw this thread... and am replying immediately.

Here I am at USA... (since several years)... available to guide you.

As Mr Raj..(who is also put up at USA)... has rightly said...

..Normally FOOD ITEMS are barred not only to be brought into USA... through Passengers Luggage...

...but also a PROHIBITIVE STUFF... for carrying in the Plane too... in view of any probable Virus infection...Epidemics etc.. due to likely contamination..

...which risk no Government of any country is prepared to take.

So not only to America...but also to any Overseas country.. please don't plan to carry with you such questionable Articles..

The authorities have been vested with such discretionary powers to just discard and throw away any Food stuff...

...including FRUITS & VEGETABLES...

...if it is considered detrimental in their National interests.

..which in their opinion may cause Un-Hygenic condition... especially in the controlled AC atmosphere easily and fast... the stuff being wet.

However just for choice of personal preferences on taste and samples to be shown to your people at US...

...you may try to bring small quantities of DRY FOOD STUFFS... (similar to Biscuits)...

...such as MURUKKU, THATTAI, THAEN-KUZHAL, SEEDAI and the like...

...in Totally SEALED PACKS TRANSPARENT-PLASTIC Covers (Hermetically sealed Air-tight... which can be got done by any famous Sweet stalls)..

...through CHECK-IN Baggage... and NOT AS CABIN LUGGAGE.

But be prepared for REJECTION OF YOUR SUCH STUFF... at any stage.

Because person to person the discretions vary... although the Law is Uniform.

Normally Small Quantities as TEMPLE-PRASADAMS... or Gift--packs are allowed at their Free will... But NO GUARANTEE.

In most of the regions here where people of Indianistic-culture... like Malaysians, Srilankans, African Indians... apart from Indians from India... reside,

...we have adequate Indian Stores, where anything and everything of Kitchen-needs of Indian menu varieties... are available here...

..even Thinai-maavu, Chola-maavu, Kaezh-varahu maavu etc...

...apart from the popular main Food-Ingredients like Rice, Wheat, Dal etc...

...alongside Sambar-powder, Rasam Powder, Pickles, Appalam etc.

But it will be exhorbitantly costly here... please don't forget.

If You want you can bring reasonably small quantities of Sambar-powder, Rasam powder etc.. in the hermetically sealed Transparent plastic covers... with appropriate Labels pasted... stating clearly about the contents.

Which part of America.. You are visiting... is important... in this connection.

Because if it is New york , New Jersey...East-coast region... you can feel quite at ease...

...as of Indian atmosphere even in a foreign land.

And if it is West coast...especially California state.. Oh still more better...

...You will feel as if you are in India or Malaysia or Jaffna... since a lot of Indians, especially Tamilians, Telugus and Hindi-walas are put up here.

So there are facilities to grow and live as Indians... since the facilities for learning Tamil, Sanskrit, Hindi, Music, Bharatha-natyam, etc are available here...

...including good Restaurants.. where (for example) one Masala-dosa costs US$ 6.00 (about Rs. 250)

Tamlian Cultural programmes also are organised often at California state.

Most important... what you need here utmost...is the Mind to spend money liberally.

Yes.. This is America... one of the highly Rich Nations... rolling in Dollars.

So please bring with you such a Large-Heart and Liberal Mind.

Lambretta
18th June 2007, 06:26 PM
This is America... one of the highly Rich Nations....
The same is being said to a certain extent bout India too now......but it doesnt seem to cause ne major counter-immigration as yet...
:|

MazhaiKuruvi
18th June 2007, 08:35 PM
[
Most important... what you need here utmost...is the Mind to spend money liberally.

Yes.. This is America... one of the highly Rich Nations... rolling in Dollars.

So please bring with you such a Large-Heart and Liberal Mind.

Sudhaama sir,

Isn't a large heart and liberal mind required everywhere? Rich in what? character, wisdom? just money? money can be made and spent anywhere with the right will and hard work e.g. Dhirubhai

Anoushka
19th June 2007, 02:08 AM
[tscii:7b40807777]6$ for a masala dosa? :) that is expensive... I think it is only £1.50 in Chennai dosa (UK) :)[/tscii:7b40807777]

btw, Lamby, Anou is doing fine :)

Sudhaama
19th June 2007, 04:20 AM
An INTERESTING EXPERIENCE... at America.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1076474#1076474

buddysathi
20th June 2007, 05:34 AM
Take anything and everything you want except guns or explosives!

I was carrying 'kadalai maavu' in my hand baggage and u shud see how I was surrounded by all the security personnel during the check! They thought it was some drugs, but on seeing me laughing, they let me go! :-)

Enjoy ur stay! :-)

Sudhaama
20th June 2007, 07:39 AM
No TOOTH-PASTE, Ointments, Powders.. in CABIN.

Now a days the rules have changed. The Travellers are not supposed to carry any Substance in the forms of Paste, Liquid or Powder...

...as the Cabin-Luggage.. along with the Travellers...

...even it be the Tooth paste or Shaving cream...

...but only by Check-in Baggage.

Tooth paste and Brush, Shaving razors etc are provided in the Toilet.. free of cost.

pavalamani pragasam
20th June 2007, 01:45 PM
Take anything and everything you want except guns or explosives!

I was carrying 'kadalai maavu' in my hand baggage and u shud see how I was surrounded by all the security personnel during the check! They thought it was some drugs, but on seeing me laughing, they let me go! :-)

Enjoy ur stay! :-)

Once even my grandsons' toy guns were confiscated in a local plane!

NOV
21st June 2007, 07:27 AM
some tips: http://travelinsurance.lifetips.com/cat/59522/prohibited-and-restricted-items-at-customs/index.html

Indian groceries in US: http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/IndianGroceryStoresinUS.htm

temporary sori-Observer
10th July 2007, 08:46 AM
Gentleman enge pOyittaar? :fishgrin: :fishgrin:

Sudhaama
10th July 2007, 10:24 AM
.What can be taken to U.S.A ?

(1) Cotton goods like Shoe-Socks, Underwears, Banyans, Shirts, Towels, Kerchiefs and the like are very COSTLY here at U.S... because they all are IMPORTED.

But no doubt... the internationally best quality and the most update ones are available in plenty of varieties and choices... more than any Country in the world...

...because there is a very good market here for clothings while the people are highly choosy and the best critics of healthy intentions.

So while bringing Cotton clothings in limited quantity... make sure to be within the MINIMUM reasonable extent ...

...credible as Gifts for your Hosts and Friends' families... and NOT FOR TRADE.

Let them conform to Modern fashion globally accepted... of any country...

..Mainly the American Outfitting (Tailoring) is vastly different and more comfortable...

...when compared to the ancient style of Indian-tailoring.

But now-a-days... even in the present India... the most modern style of outfitting is also available in the Metro cities.

(2) If the Traveller is of any Chronic sickness... it is better he/she carries adequate quantities of Medicines... supported by an authentic prescription from a recognised Medical practitioner..

But all such stuff... be carried in the Check-in Baggage...

..leaving the minimum in the Cabin-luggage...direly needed during
the journey.

One of the costliest stuffs in U.S. is Medicines.. But internationally the best ones are available here.

(3) If You are allergic to Soaps and Shampoos... you can bring the specifically suited-ones too in limited quantity... credible for personal use... for example Sandal-soaps.

But now-a-days Sandal soaps and the like popular stuffs are available here... in Indian Stores.

(4) Recorded Audio and Video DVDs CDs Casettes... in limited quantities... for ENTERTAINMENTS.

(5) Books and Magazines.

Once again I reiterate... the maximum checked and doubted Luggage now-a-days in any Air-travel to any country is the CABIN LUGGAGE... which you carry close with you in the cabin.

So please be very very strict and chosy in apportioning the articles for such Cabin baggages... to be restricted to the least and minimum.

(6) Leather Goods in India are of very low cost comparatively.. especially the Footwears like SHOES.

So you can bring reasonable quantities of Shoes to suit the weather here... in the region you intend travelling....

... Because from state to state.. the weather here is much different.

And the MOST IMPORTANT...I would suggest to all who value my words...

This Great Nation America / U.S.A is a very good country of VERY GOOD PEOPLE...

...for those who are REALLY HONEST AND STRAIGHTFORWARD...

And the WORST THEY ARE... for the Criminals and Cheaters.

So please don't take it light to do any ILLEGAL PRACTICE... or bring anything for Clandestine activities... or SMUGGLING...etc..

This alert country will never excuse such UNWELCOME VISITORS.

By leading a clean life... complying with the local laws...

...You can ENJOY VERY WELL HERE