PDA

View Full Version : Are Tamils abroad who can't speak English bad educated ?

Soomy
15th June 2007, 08:58 AM
I was wondering : some Tamil people living in the english speaking country (UK, Canada, Australia...) can't speak English and, the worst, they behave badly :? . They smoke, drink a lot and fight each other... What happened to them ? They are ruining the reputation of Tamil community. Chinese people in Canada are great people and they can shamelessly speak english.

Querida
17th June 2007, 10:22 AM
I was wondering : some Tamil people living in the english speaking country (UK, Canada, Australia...) can't speak English and, the worst, they behave badly :? . They smoke, drink a lot and fight each other... What happened to them ? They are ruining the reputation of Tamil community. Chinese people in Canada are great people and they can shamelessly speak english.

There is first a problem with you only being focussed on Tamils (though i agree it is quite distressing and embarrassing hearing about the amount of violence that involves directly or indirectly Tamil youth)
such acts of violence...is actually a common immigrant phenonmenon experienced by almost every single race i know ( i came to canada in '88 I've seen the "bad behaviour" with every rush of immigrants that have arrived here, it is sometimes attributed as a means of aggresively trying to find/make a niche in the new community (here i speak of violence rather than lifestyle choices to drink and smoke). Smoking and Drinking as bad habits depends on personal opinion and certainly is not isolated to uneducated people.

Though Ceylon schools teach english very well...there have been many people who have been unable to go to school properly or fully due to war/seeking refuge in many countries, becoming displaced within their country/going to work to send money back home rather than study etc.

Though I will argue that there are chinese kids who act out in the same ways as well as "educated" tamils who know "good" english. It is an issue moreso with violent culture and means to express violence (such as easy access to guns,drugs,money).

It is also important to keep in mind that the most sensational behaviour is what is emphasized moreso then the more benign yet understated respectable behaviours from the rest of the populous in question.

crazy
17th June 2007, 01:41 PM
:roll:

Querida
20th June 2007, 05:09 AM
is that a sum up of my long-winded opinion, crazy? :wink: :P :lol:

crazy
20th June 2007, 10:03 AM
:D

MazhaiKuruvi
20th June 2007, 03:05 PM
What is today's education? A means to earn a living.
What is a language? A means of communication.

English is JUST another language

Meera-ssg
28th July 2007, 02:25 PM
So, are the rest of the million crowd, in other countries, who speak their own tongue, who dont know english are not educated enough?

chevy
28th July 2007, 02:29 PM
Weeps! Tamils abroad are nice nice people :)