PDA

View Full Version : Kamal-Ilayaraaja-Singeetham Rao-MUMBAI EXPRESS

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Cinefan
7th April 2005, 04:29 PM
why is it a nonsense! anbe sivam as a universal story and language should not be a barrier but of of course dubbed version will be lame and will only have a limited viewing. :P

I used that word becos the guy who bought the dubbing rights was sitting on it all these years&now that MX is releasing,wants to cash in on it,has got someone else to dub for Kamal&Madhavan&is releasing it immediately after the release of MX.Two movies of the same hero within a week of each other doesn't make good business sense right?

In fact even after 'Ek Duje Ke Liye'a whole lot of Tamil,Telugu&Mallu movie of his got dubbed into Hindi effectively ending his chances of making a mark in that industry.Now when he does an occasional Hindi movie,the same thing gets repeated.

kiran4442000
7th April 2005, 04:55 PM
Yup wat u told is correct but altogether in the month of april it will be KAMAL MANIA in bollywood...............bollywood r u ready ? hope MUMBAI XPRESS turns out to be a gr8 money spinner and conclude the dry spell this year with no big hits in bollywood except sucess of page3 and black :D

suresh
7th April 2005, 07:09 PM
DELAYED RELEASE

Why hasn’t Kamal released it yet? For all the abuse and scorn he receives for his many ill-advised moves, we must credit Kamal for an extraordinary cinema brain that is still young and ticking. Whether that has produced seriously good cinema is a moot point.

Kamal (and IR) know that this album is not for the mass market. Can it hold its own against Chandramukhi and Sachin? Arguably the worst albums in a long time, these 2 could still sell well given the absolute shift (I would call it degeneration, but one’s got to bow to the ‘public taste’) in music standards. So, what Kamal’s attempting is simple. Raise the hype, reap a PR windfall, and release the album just a few days ahead so that the possible negative reaction to the album will still be too late to travel and affect the box office response to the actual film making.

Before the word-of-mouth channels put out that the album does not have ‘mass numbers’ as the essential ingredients in any hit album – Malathi, Udit, Srilekha, - have defined them, the film will be out. Kamal must be confident of the quality of his product (which he always is, never mind even epic disasters), and trust his cinematic instincts to hit the bull’s eye when pitted against Rajni’s and Vijay’s films. In a battle that is currently unfavourable to Kamal, this is his smart salvo.

KAMAL, IR - 2 DARING SWIMMERS

Ok, now you may ask, why did these two produce an album that will not appeal to the common music interests? The answer to this lies in a trend that started more than a decade ago, to be precise, with Guna. 1991 was an epochal year for IR, with close to 50 film releases of which atleast 20 could be termed ‘commercial hits’. Amidst the melee, Guna was an album that marked a new paradigm in music-making for a tamil film. Simply put, for a movie that starred a frontline star, an album sans commercial (as defined by market trends) elements that was purely focussed on the script. Where the music (songs+BGM) were an integral part to the whole movie-making process, and not designed to be either a revenue generation instrument or a ‘pull factor’ guaranteed to instigate audience interest and bring them to the theatres.

This is the closest compromise this duo made with their urge to reject the conventional 2duets-1solo-1group-1mass formula that assemblyline of filmmakers dared not tamper. If there are 2 most sacrosanct elements in Tamil, and indeed in most Indian, cinema, they are – (1) the length of the film (2.30 hours minimum – more viewing time per rupee spent) and (2) songs as an independent, marketable element in the whole filmmaking process. I’m not sure what Kamal’s views on the first are, but one can clearly see that his views on the second consolidated post-Guna, and indeed can be seen as a defining element in his subsequent film career.

I think (not too sure) Guna succeeded Michael MKR, a blockbuster hit both film and music-wise. In both concept and execution, you will not find two movies as divergent as these. And therein lies the key to Kamal’s thought process regarding the relevance of the music ‘part’ to the ‘whole’ of the film. In Ilaiyaraaja, a friend and ally that he had admired and promoted over 3 decades, Kamal finds a kindred spirit. For movies that he strongly believes in and invests an intrinsic energy and passion, you will find that the duo traverse a route very few have taken in Indian commercial cinema.

So, while you had films like Singaravelan and Kalaignan which were slotted in the commercial format mandating ‘mass’ albums, you had a string of films – Thevar Magan, Mahanadhi, Sathi Leelavathi, Hey Raam, Virumandi, and now M eX – in which the albums are consciously not targeted at the mass market. A stirring BGM is a common thread that runs through most such films. A majority of songs in these films make the most sense when viewed on screen. In some, they are used purely as fillers, as transition elements where the audience are prepared for something dramatic, and indeed, in a variety of ways that can be attributed to a common focus.

ABOUT Me X

My expectations for this album have been shaped by my views outlined above. I find it remarkable that in this phase of tamil cinema, when music viability is purely shaped by the youth audience, these two have pulled off a coup of sorts by experimenting with a genre that few in Paramakkudi or even Bandra would be familiar with. Intrinsic quality aside, I salute these two who taken such an audacious risk at a critical stage in their careers (though IR’s view of a career would be a much more philosophical abstraction than that of Kamal, who still sees himself competing with the Vijay’s and Simbu’s). A close parallel would be the trendsetting MR-ARR “Aaydha Ezhuthu”, but then given their individual and collective brand equity and salience, it was easy for them to pull off just about any innovation. IMO, MeX is a remarkable album, and "Poo Poothadhu" bristles with youth, energy and class to make it one for the archives.

THE EXPECTATION PRISM

I think we should view these songs in the context of the film to really understand the creative thought process that has gone into the making of these songs. Think of “Kanmani Anbodu” in Guna, “Potri Paadadi” in Thevar Magan or “Thenpaandi cheemaiyile” of Nayagan. These are not mere songs; rather, these are cinematic moments of great emotion crafted painstakingly by two gifted creators who traverse the spectrum between the mediocre to magical ever so often to the dismay and delight of the cinegoer.

vijayr
7th April 2005, 07:23 PM
"Though I wish the tunes could have been little trendier. Tunes did remind you his previous work, but the interludes are great. "

e.hari, idhe dhaan naanum sonnen..aana...:-)

NagaS, of course if IR wants to, he can accept B-grade movies and give uninspired songs, thats his wish and right. But as a fan I have the right to crib when I see medicore products from him. I think we have already gone over this debate before. I dont think me or anyone else is demanding that IR shouldnt accept such films, nor do we have the right to. But when I listen to something where it is obvious to me that much thought hasnt been put into, I'll crib, even if it happens to be a Kamal or Manirathnam film. For example MagaLir mattum and KalaigNan were medicore too, IMO, even though they were Kamal films. They are nowhere in the league of Aboorva SagodharargaL or Devar Magan. But for a Kamal movie, very rarely does the music not live up to the film. For lesser movies like Karagattakaari the music almost always doesnt impress, especially of late. I understand he has done good music even for pathetic films early in his career and its unfair for me to expect him to do that even now. But at the very least, he could be a bit more choosier or do good movies in other languages like Malayalam and so on. This is more of a wish than a demand,more of a "crib" than criticism. He wasnt choosier in his peak days, in the 80s(one of the reasons as to why a trend change in the 90s became easier to accept for the general audience), atleast now he could learn to be choosy is what I wish for. Not that I expect IR to abide by it.

vijayr
7th April 2005, 07:25 PM
Suresh, I dont think any innovation or experimentation on the part of IR in ME should be viewed as a great risk or a bold move. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain at this stage in his career. It might be a bigger risk for Kamal probably who is launching his own audio.

vijayr
7th April 2005, 07:32 PM
"In hindsight, everything is posssible. Rajni should not have done a Baba, Vijay should not have done a Geethai, Ajith should not have done a Guru"

12bums the examples you have given are all mostly exceptions for those artistes. For IR it has become the norm in the last 10 years. The list of medicore albums/films is endless- thalaimurai, thodarum, Rajasthan, katta panjaayathu, thambidurai etc. etc. I am sure you wouldnt have even heard most songs from these albums.

suresh
7th April 2005, 07:47 PM
Vijay

Pls read - "at a critical stage in their careers (though IR’s view of a career would be a much more philosophical abstraction than that of Kamal, who still sees himself competing with the Vijay’s and Simbu’s)".

I agree with you though that IR doesn't quite have much to lose in the whole process. I can hear you say "heck, it can't get worse than Karagattakkari, can it?". Touche.

The above post was just a perspective of the duo's creative collaboration from a different viewpoint. I was dismayed by the unfortunate exchanges generated by opinionated and subjective views, and it was my 2-cents attempt to recast the debate in a different light. Nothing more need to be attributed.

app_engine
7th April 2005, 07:48 PM
Suresh, Excellent article!

Expecting eagerly for more such insightful postings from you...

app_engine
7th April 2005, 07:49 PM
Album ulagathilEye engum vikkalai...appadeennA coolgoose'kku eppadi vandhadhu?

RajaRam
7th April 2005, 07:57 PM
Album already released in Malaysia. see this link. Release date is 4/4/2005.
down load ME MP3 songs.
http://www.tamilnapster.com/mumx.html

jaiganes
7th April 2005, 08:02 PM
well said suresh.
MEX may not be creative enough to the likes of some, may not be trendier enough to the likes of some one else, but it is undeniably original and enjoyable piece of music. All I wanna say and rest is that when u hear a kuyil sing a song, a sparrow chirp, u will not say there is nothing new in this and it is un enjoyable. Rather you will still enjoy the same old kuyil song. At the same token u are not going to exclaim when u hear a bull dozer engine's sound saying "It is very innovative and enjoyable". It is new, but a noise.
Mumbai express for sure has raaja stamp and it is thoroughly enjoyable and thats it. I donno why someone is trying to bring long list of albums from raaja that did not satisfy him/her. I donno what that individual is trying to get at. Is Mumbai Express a good album? Will u pay money and listen to it . say yes or no. If u like it say what u liked in that. If u didn't like it, then say what u didn't like. Comments like, it is the same old raaja stuff, no innovation from 80s are misleading and are vague. Song is good bad or ok. thats it. album is recommendable or not thats it. not vague intellectualisms poured on hapless simpletons like me. And this is my personal opinion.

ramdas2005
7th April 2005, 08:09 PM
Hi,
There have been some insightful posts here especially by suresh.
I do see that there is a lot of anti-kamal sentiments in posts on various threads, especially trying to boost CM and sachin and bring down MX. Has anyone checked out the trailers of MX, is it good? Some folks just want to spit venom on MX saying bgm for tralier is not good etc...., even the press wants to put out stuff abt mx, doubting its value.

One more thing on the eve of release:
Kamal has a uphill battle here especially this time in terms of perception. If MX brings in good money it will change a lot of things for him. Kamal has made lot of statements about his film, i do hope it strikes a chord with the audience.

Jacky
7th April 2005, 08:20 PM
"Poo Poothadhu" bristles with youth, energy and class to make it one for the archives. "

Diana song from Kadhal Kavithai was much better and this comes no way near it.
An average album by IR-Kamal standards. High time Kamal seperates business from friendship otherwise he's going to lose his revived market after Virumandi and Vasool Raja.

vijayr
7th April 2005, 08:49 PM
Jaiganesh, if you like ME say so and leave. You dont have to worry about my opinions or anyone else's on ME, if you feel secure about your taste. I have already written clearly what I have liked and not liked about ME. I liked the interludes but the tunes werent creative and didnt jell well with the rest of the song. For IR fans, I would heartily recommend the album. For others, I would suggest listening to it first and deciding for themselves whether they need to buy it or not since its not your usual TFM album like Sachin or Gilli.
My reply to NagaS was on a different issue, not related to ME.

vijayr
7th April 2005, 08:54 PM
"A close parallel would be the trendsetting MR-ARR “Aaydha Ezhuthu”, but then given their individual and collective brand equity and salience, it was easy for them to pull off just about any innovation."

Suresh, this was the point I was trying to address. I would say the opposite is true. For MR-ARR it was a bigger risk, they stand to lose more and they did lose more. AE was a dud at the BO although the music did better. Its difficult to take risks when you stand to lose a lot.

In the case of ME, ALL the risks are on Kamal's shoulders. IR has already gotten his paycheck and he doesnt worry about his market value anymore. If anything he stands to gain from all the hype that Kamal generates everytime a Rajkamal movie is released. Now, Guna was a bigger risk for both, I agree.

Music4Ever
7th April 2005, 09:18 PM
"A close parallel would be the trendsetting MR-ARR “Aaydha Ezhuthu”,..."

This is blasphemy in an IR thread! Indeed, some posts in this thread, while effusive in their praise of the Maestro's music, expectedly did not let slip the opportunity that was available to them, to vehemently decry the so-called "techno-pop" music inititated by you-know-who. How dare Suresh refer to such music as trend-setting! :)

kbee
7th April 2005, 11:15 PM
These are not mere songs; rather, these are cinematic moments of great emotion crafted painstakingly by two gifted creators who traverse the spectrum between the mediocre to magical ever so often to the dismay and delight of the cinegoer.
Suresh Well said and thank you for the great insight.

And someone asked if the trailer is good and BGM in the trailor is good/bad. Trailor is not a movie. According to one of the movie distributor in TN, both CM and MX are extremely good and "they dont have to run the movie for the sake of it. movie itself will run for 100 days atleast" so lets stop our imagination and wait till the movie comes.

One more thing to all

PEACE

kbee
7th April 2005, 11:30 PM
High time Kamal seperates business from friendship otherwise he's going to lose his revived market after Virumandi and Vasool Raja.

Would you dump your friends if someone else is giving you some money?

Rememer Kamal is a kind of guy who doesnt respect anyone and who doesnt ccare about anyone. Kamal did dump IR for a while until he was badly in need of help. When LV left Hey Ram in the middle and Kamal begged IR to score just BGM only, but IR doesnt want to just do BGM (as a policy) and wants to do the full movie including songs, but Kamal doesnt have money/callsheet to take the movie again, so IR used the same lip movements to score BGM and SONGS for Hey Ram.

Does anyone think of anyother MD in the universe who can do this job.

The way I see the "Nee paartha parvaikkoru nandri" is not just a song that Kamal wrote for the situation, but a song dedicated to IR to thank him. The relationship between Kamal and IR is beyond friendship and I hope Kamal doesnt forget this for his life.

Speaking of dumping people, the whole dumping process starts with KB. He used V Kumar when MSV was big, He tried so many ppl when IR was big and now that ARR is big, he is trying to use VS for his next movie.

Jacky
8th April 2005, 12:10 AM
kbee,
I'm afraid your post is out of context, I will still respond. Kamal along with Rajni are probably the only aging stars who can sell themselves.
I don't mind if Kamal imperils himself by filming and writing his doctrines (I may not have a choice), but there's no space for others to impede after all entertainment business is a complete package these days.
Vijay has already touched this point, IR has very little to lose and everything to gain but Kamal? IR could have given his heart and soul to this project when these apprehensions are eliminated automatically – songs would be picturised well, the film targets a wider audience by being bilingual, and it would be marketed very well. So, why another uninspired or in-a-hurry attempt?
God Knows!

alias
8th April 2005, 12:52 AM
It has been giving me headache since I started listening. Only 2 times I listened adn I would prefer to listen CM, Sachin or the greatest Bose. :roll:

kbee
8th April 2005, 12:59 AM
alias, your taste of music (cm, sachin and bose) is pretty amazing.

suresh
8th April 2005, 01:06 AM
Jacky
If you feel "Diana" was better than "Poo Poothadhu", I've precious little to add. To each his own.

The ME album is perhaps not for you. It's probably an audience like you and a reaction like yours that Kamal wants to pre-empt, hence the calibrated charade about the music, the audio company, advance sales, etc. I think you ought to give someone who has 4 decades of industry experience the benefit of some business sense, atleast marginally higher than us outsiders. This is another gamble; if it fails, he gets on with life, ready for the next. Bravado? Foolhardiness? Ignorance? Senility? Take your pick.

I'm curious to know, which MD would not heed Kamal's call? Not even ARR at this time. Why would he then still seek IR for all his important productions if there were neither market returns nor an intrinsic quality benefit? Can you picture anyone else scoring for Virumandi or Hey Raam? I cannot, maybe you know something all of us should learn from.

I also don't buy the constant carping about IR's market position today. If I were him and I was the first choice MD for the likes of Kamal, Balu Mahendra, Fazil, Sathyan Anthikkadu, Bala, Lohithadas, Thangar Bachan, I would be one very happy man indeed.

nickraman
8th April 2005, 03:09 AM
F.Y.I Sachien received a U/A certificate due to the "steamy song" with BB and Vijay.
So chances are if will be in No.4 Position is very high
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mumbai Xpress has sold worldwide to distributors everywhere! Whereas Chandramukhi has sold to various places except- - Japan, where the great Muthu was played and won appreciation, but later all his movies were flops, yep even the "Mega Hit" Padiyappa!

So who wins-- I'd say Mumbai Xpress. In laments terms

Maestro Ilayaraja > "beginner" Vidyasagar

Singeethen Srinivasa Rao > P.Vasu

Nayantara < Manisha

Kamal > Rajni

Enough said- - - NOW LIVE WITH IT!

Jacky
8th April 2005, 03:30 AM
Suresh,
I quoted Diana song cuz the feel is something similar, not by any other criteria. And don't worry am ready for any good music :)
Why should we talk about Virumandi or Heyram here? They are finished business. HeyRam must one of IR's personal best btw.
What I see is a reflexive response, you will hear/accept the perspective of a common listener only if you detach from this mode then this conversation would go forward, otherwise it is always eternal defense from one side!
I hope IR recreates the magic he has done so often for Kamal in their future endeavor.

e_hari
8th April 2005, 04:15 AM
"Though I wish the tunes could have been little trendier. Tunes did remind you his previous work, but the interludes are great. "

e.hari, idhe dhaan naanum sonnen..aana... "

I guess, we are in the same wave length here.
I agree that very few of IR albums really made impact in the last few years and he can afford to be choosy, Sadly he is not doing it. I mentioned it couple of times before that one of the long standing problem with IR is not knowing, when to say no.

jaiganes
8th April 2005, 08:21 AM
Vijayr the great wrote:

Jaiganesh, if you like ME say so and leave. You dont have to worry about my opinions or anyone else's on ME, if you feel secure about your taste.
I like MumbaiXpress songs.
I dont worry/give a damn about vijayr's opinions.(anyone else's I will wait and see)
But I can't leave..
he he he he :rotfl:

hehehewalrus
8th April 2005, 08:37 AM
Enjoyed reading the bouquets, brickbats and missiles! Good to see rajasaranam :wink: and Cacaphonix back :P

kiru
8th April 2005, 08:57 AM
First, let me express my appreciation for the well written prose of Suresh. I envy his communication skills. He said much of what I wanted to say. This album is surely a daring attempt by both Kamal and IR.
People have mentioned that IR does not stand to lose much. Apart from this being a little insensitive or rude statement, I think, it denies what is involved in a composing songs like in ME.
IR has mainly operated in three idioms -

* Indian style (carnatic/folk)

* Western classical (like in guru and some choral arrangements)

* Rock idiom (rhythm/bass guitar/drums)

And combinations of the above.

In Mumbai Express I see the idiom is totally Jazz. Even though there are many 'versions/styles' in Jazz, the idiom is definitely identifiable as Jazz - Poo poothadhu to me seems completely Jazz, while the other songs have some different elements (for eg. nee ettippO has synth rock guitar). In this song, even the way the tune is laid out is made specifically for a Jazz style (specifically, the first part of each charanams).
Note, IR when he does something, he does everything from scratch. It is like making cake from flour, eggs etc. not from a cakemix. So I think, IR has done quite a bit of work to accomplish what he did in ME. Though there were references to Jazz style in his previous work, they were isolated to interludes (w/ sax) or for just flavor (for eg. with brushes). Recent album that comes to my mind is sEthu.
In the process of composing purely in the Jazz idiom, I think, there might be some credence to when people say the tune is not fresh. This probably happened with IR concentrating on the idiom and probably borrowing some musical phrases from his library :-)

I really enjoy the poo poothadhu song, nee yettipo and kurangu kaiyil poo malai in that order. The nee yettipo song seems like a commercial compromise, with some drum programming in the body. I wish, it had the same acoustic drums like in the prelude, throughout. If anybody cared to listen to the lyricis (kamal ?) it has some current TIS politics referenced in it (7 swara symphony, who needs an agent etc). The kurangu kaiyil poo maalai is a victim of its own lyrics. But then again, the screen play probably needs it. The singer also puts on an artificially styled accent in the beginning which he seems not to stick to later on.
The recording is very good with acoustical instruments for most of the songs.

And now to the disclaimer, all above are my opinions and opinions only. Every sentence should have a "I think" prefix of suffix, which have been left out to save RR some disk space on the tfmpage's ISP account :-)

Cinefan
8th April 2005, 11:40 AM
Suresh

:thumbsup:

Jai :rotfl:

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13712918

The 'Inba','Sitrinba' song cut from the Tamil version.

jaiganes
8th April 2005, 11:56 AM
Cinefan!
I guess that we have to wait for the release of the movie to hear the songs. BTW Ram has been released in Bangalore only now. How abt this weekend?

Cinefan
8th April 2005, 12:01 PM
Cinefan!
I guess that we have to wait for the release of the movie to hear the songs. BTW Ram has been released in Bangalore only now. How abt this weekend?

For us Ugadi pa,we will have to do the 'go-to relatives-house'routine.if I say movie,will get kicked in the house :lol:

Actually I am very disappointed as it's most likely to stay in the theatres for a week&I can't watch it this weekend :(

http://www.telugucinema.com/c/audio/mumbaiexpressaudio.shtml

Music review of the telugu version.

alwarpet_andavan
8th April 2005, 01:51 PM
DELAYED RELEASE

Suresu,
Dheivame, Engeyo poitteenga.
I'm not sure about the reason of the delay, but i agree with you completely on the rest of the points.

alwarpet_andavan

RajaRam
8th April 2005, 02:08 PM
I don't know why all guys are fighting for songs here? In fact Songs are not a necessity for kamal movies.

See the history.

Sigappu Rojakkal - only 2 songs.-silver jublee
Tick..Tick - 3 songs.-silver jublee
Oru kaithiyen diary- only 3 songs.-silver jublee
sathya - only 3 songs.-100 days
Guna - 4 songs. all are just like clippings.-100 days
Mahali mattum - 2 songs.-silver jublee
sathi leelavathi - 2 songs.-silver jublee
Mahanathi - 3 songs-150 days.
kuruthipunal - songless-100 days
only Heyram failed.

So song is not a matter to kamal movies whether it is good or bad.

Yesterday I sam clippings of ME in sun tv sponsored by Brooke Bond.
Defenitely ME will be a Silver jublee movie.there is no doubt about that.

Pras
8th April 2005, 02:54 PM
mmmm ... rajaram, I know that you are a kamal fan, but you must admit that songs play an important role in movies success or failure !!

Whenever i am speaking about a movie, i first remember a song !
your list of movies modified (i removed movies in which i cannot remember songs).

Oru kaithiyen diary- only 3 songs.-silver jublee : "abc nee vaasi ..."
sathya - only 3 songs.-100 days - "valayosai kadakadakada venai ..."
Guna - 4 songs. all are just like clippings.-100 days - who can forget the "kanmani anbodu kaadhalan ..."
Mahanathi - 3 songs-150 days. "sri ranga naathanin paatham ..."
only Heyram failed, but an excellent song by IR "nee partha parvaikoru ..."

RajaRam
8th April 2005, 03:16 PM
In ME also poo poothathu... is one of the best melodies.

Cinefan
8th April 2005, 04:07 PM
Yesterday I sam clippings of ME in sun tv sponsored by Brooke Bond.

What time?

RajaRam
8th April 2005, 05:01 PM
In between selvi serial.

Cinefan
8th April 2005, 05:28 PM
Oh!I don't watch it though my family does.Let me see if it gets repeated today.

teja
8th April 2005, 08:19 PM
Song chopped from ME
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/movies/mn_mxpress.shtml

I hope it isn't "Yelae Nee Yetippo"!
That's the only racy track in the album.

balaji
8th April 2005, 08:58 PM
Teja

Somehow I thought you were associated with that site?
Whenever good words of IR is written on that site, it somehow reflected similar views you write here on TFM PAGE..
May be that is kumundi??

Bala

12bums
8th April 2005, 09:35 PM
Silver Jubilee'a?

Oru vayasaana heroine. Iruntha item number'um cut. Cassette'ae innum release aagalai. Intha latchanathule Jazz vera!

Look at Sachin on the other hand. Cassette released on time. Devi Sri Prasad still uses Jhankar beats. Oru dappanaguthu. Vijay has sung one song. Bipaasha has done an item number. I hear another American from Texas has done another item no.

To top it all, we have chandramukhi - Rajini after so many years. Ithu pothaathu'nu 2 heroines - namma Jyothika and soon to be 'namma' Nayanthara! Vidyasaagarum etho pottu koduthirukkiraaru!

Ippo neengalae sollunga, namma saathi sanam, ethae poi paarpaanga?
:D

NagaS
8th April 2005, 09:44 PM
Oru vayasaana heroine.

Manishavukku 1 vayasuthaanaa ? wow ... news to me ;)

NagaS

muzammil84
8th April 2005, 10:07 PM
Yelae Nee Yetippo
ya only this song is good, good job done by IlayaRasa

kbee
8th April 2005, 10:22 PM
After many multiple listening and looking at IRs work in 70s and 80s and even in 90s, i am saying that it is not the best of IR. Any other could have composed this. What we expect from IR is a surprise like "oliyilae therivadhu vedanaiya" or "nirpanavae nadapanavae" or the likewise.

some one posted here that the songs are good, but someone else could have done that. I am not sure about someone else part, but this is not what IR should do going forward.

Someone else said IR has to learn when to say no. I agree.

I am a die hard IR fan, but I have to change my mind w.r.t MX. Sorry...

stvasan
8th April 2005, 10:32 PM
After many multiple listening and looking at IRs work in 70s and 80s and even in 90s, i am saying that it is not the best of IR. Any other could have composed this. What we expect from IR is a surprise like "oliyilae therivadhu vedanaiya" or "nirpanavae nadapanavae" or the likewise.

some one posted here that the songs are good, but someone else could have done that. I am not sure about someone else part, but this is not what IR should do going forward.

Someone else said IR has to learn when to say no. I agree.

I am a die hard IR fan, but I have to change my mind w.r.t MX. Sorry...

After many multiple listening and looking at IRs work in 70s and 80s and even in 90s, i am saying that it ONE OF THE BEST of IR.

some one posted here that the songs are good, YES THEY ARE CORRECT ON THEIR PART

I am also a die hard IR fan, and this music has increased my respect towards IR!!!

kbee
8th April 2005, 11:14 PM
stvasan i agree that some ppl like this (even now i like it), but i cant say that this is one of the best from IR. Even Konji Pesalam/Karagattakari is better than this. this is my personal view.

teja
9th April 2005, 12:03 AM
Teja

Somehow I thought you were associated with that site?
Whenever good words of IR is written on that site, it somehow reflected similar views you write here on TFM PAGE..
May be that is kumundi??

Bala

Yes, that's me. :) But my contribution is limited only to the music section, more specifically on IR.
However, MX review on that site is'nt by me. It's by another HCIRF.

uv
9th April 2005, 01:29 AM
Some of the discussions here funny downright to arrogant and ignorance.
This is defintively a fresh breather from IR
The strong and weak point is the music that depends on whats your perception . Here we have a album with lot of good jazz stuff on it
and some people are comparing some weak formula album to this.
I wish Mr.Kamal should have 2 more song peiece melody or fast number like poo puthadu instead of situtaional music no, that can be only enjoyed in theaters.

How many tamil song in recent times had such wonderful live percussion like poopudathu song
some excellent piano interludes,counterpoints ,
for example throught the song piano and sax beautifully in duet with singers harmonically there are so many nicely constructed peices like this.

Today tamil film music is in regression, even Wizard ARR is very reluctant to score for tamil, in a recent interview he said tamil film producers wants only 6/6 numbers (all kutthu songs) and no time is given for composer to come up with decent stuff.

Vysar
9th April 2005, 03:11 AM
"The music of the film is excellent" Kamal

"The music provided by Ilayaraja is just something one cannot talk about but has to experience. We just told him the situations and he came up with music that enhanced the scenes. We planned for a song less film but when we saw the end product we were happy that we added those songs to the film." Singeetham

http://www.idlebrain.com/news/functions/audio-mumbaiexpress.html

natha1729
9th April 2005, 04:49 AM
Kamal and IR have good understanding, i can see that in who gets the focus. In Hey Ram, most of the songs (boring ones, except for the title song and maybe one more) were background types, but Kamal got carried away with philosophy behind his version of Gandhi, so the movie flopped. Fact versus fiction, fact can be told in 3 hours, imagination of facts need to be to the point, that is not biography or a titanic or benhur, which was to illustrate the magnitued of titanic or the christ.

kamal & IR knows music becomes key if it is the main marketing tool and does not delay or distract from the story telling. Plus, Kamal knows where the focus is, either the story or the music. Kamal does not depend on other success factors for his movies, including music. It is Kamal' "ideas" all the way, and IR is a genius who tells directors whether a song is required or not, and let the right person take the focus.

IR hence did not put effort for ME songs. But, he brought Jazz entirely because I suspect the audience and the mood of the movie needed that purely. Who else is good in giving Jazz at the shortest possible notice and in a coffee break? Only IR. yes SEL, Rahman, Jayaraj all can probably do a more trendy stuff, but they will take a lunar year to complete for a light-hearted film.

Anywya, I think ME songs are the some of the most irritating and stupid songs of all time from IR, but ME is supposed to be a songless film itself, so why waste good tunes on a movie that is story based?

To heighten the hype of supremely crafted films Kamal brings IR only for bakcground score and mood. IR gave an urbane mood for this movie, it is clear the movie is targeted to upscale market of zippies.

A composer knows his stuff, what element to use for what movies:
Is it carnatic, is it western, is it jazz, is it a combination or is it folk?

ME is jazz, and I also found IR is fooling, with of course Kamal' cooperation, the entire public. What hungarian orchestra and all that crap? I don't think so, thought I suspect for one Oram Ottipo there is some brass works, that is probably not possible to get that level of ambience in Indian recordings, I am not sure . Oram Ottipo is the only one reasonably well constructed number.

But i found that IR has copied quite a few phrases from some favorite western recordings: There is a franck pourcel drum bit and phrases (a hello dolly and other movie hits) in the "main theme 1" is a parody on the pink panther, mission impossible themes maybe suitable for the comedy theme of ME.

The other songs are indications that IR was practicing some jazz sounds for some future private productions or for James Bond assignment, who knows. Again, the limerick style of pallavi's (maybe a thank you to Deva for carrying on the stupid tradition IR set late in his career) plainly tells the audience, hey you guys can enjoy the movie without any songs.

Coming to more tributes and inspriation, IR has used chorus lines similar to Harris Jayaraj, why even the Oram nee ettipo song is more or less seems like a tribute to Rahman for his fantastic song in Ratchagan, Kalloori Salai We Want Power, etc...

Basically, the best IR gave in the last 5 or even 7 years was 2 or 3 songs in Sambu (because Telugu audiences still die for his music, unlike in TN and other places where Rahman style is standard now. )

ME songs were probably composed in the evening tea break, and absolutely it is better IR just don't work with Kamal or vice versa if it is a songless film, that is my opinion.

Kamal can do without IR, Rajini is doing without IR. But, this movie seemed to require most sophisticated sounds (only Jazz provides that) so Kamal may have wanted IR to just play something for background.

IR is the only composer of comedy songs (eg: Engengum Kandenama or Barla Barla or Kettelay Angey or Aha Vanthirichu so many man) , and apparently Kamal did not utilize IR for even one comic song, though it is a comedy movie, but you can see from the theme 1 music, IR has given comic sounds and phrases.

Overall, IR will not come up with good songs for Tamil movies anymore as I think he doesn't want to be in the Jayaraj, Rahman and his sons crowd of listeners. Simply, an embarrassment to be put in the league of kid composers, i mean what is the point to prove, that you are better than the kids, eh and that kids will understand your level of sophistication?

I don't know about Mal, but Telugu and Kannada IR gives intelligent and well constructed compositions, only for Tamil and some recent Mal songs he give ME like stupid compositions for listeners who listen to Jesse Gift, Jayaraj and other youngsters. But, I think ME will do well unless Kamal has made the movie longer bs like Aalavandan (which was really good actually) or Hey Ram (which was too personal and philosophical) I wquld say songs will make this film longer and irritate the audience and slow down the pace or distract from the mood.

Cut the philosophy, worthless songs and make entertainment, that is the key. This generation, nobody wants to listen to purposeles songs or philosophy, they want slick movies and computer games, man.

tmrrmt
9th April 2005, 09:29 AM
"This generation, nobody wants to listen to purposeles songs" - you mean this generation everybody wants to listen to purposeful songs like the ones you get to hear in BOYS,JEANS, AYUTHA EZHUTHU etc ? have the present generation music listeners become very lyric and musical patten discerning lot ? that is news !!

kbee
10th April 2005, 02:47 AM
Inga neraya Brahmins IR rasigargal chellam. Paavam avangalukkagavathu un jaathi dveshatha vittutuu Isaignaniya madhikka kathukko.

RAJASARANAM

correcta sonninga. indha maathiri aalungathaan naatta kedukkiraanunga. ivan maathiri aalungalaalathaan bharathiyaar nadu theruvukku vandhaar. enakku varra kovathukku pacha pachaya thittanum pola irukku, but internetla thitti yenna payan.

firewithiyer

IR fan listla thamil naatula 90% iyerum vunduvoi. romba specifickka sollanumna, semmanguidium, mss ellaam vundu. avlo yen, umma ARR kitta kelum, avar solluvar. IR schoollirunthu vandtha studentthaan arr voi. aathula maamiya kavanichindu irungo. inga vandhu vambu pannatheer voi.

Sanjeevi
10th April 2005, 06:07 PM
:(

Audio sould be released atleast before 15 days from the date of film release. But I still I can't get MX CD/cassette.

Why?

Kamal, Ithukuthan neenga Audio Company Arampicheengala?

Kodumaida Samy.

MLM companya nambi emanthu poidatheengal.

rajasaranam
10th April 2005, 11:54 PM
Partly Good news for all Fans in Chennai,

The audio is out in Market :D i grabbed my copy of cassette [ no CD's yet it seems :( ] from landmark today.

The Details in Cassette over leaf

A SIDE
1. Ila Raey- kamalhassan, sonu nigam, shaan, sunithi chauhan, shreya goshal & Chorus
2.Vandhe mataram - Chorus
3.Monkey Chatter - Live Orchestra Budapest

B SIDE
4. Poo poothathu - Sonu nigam, shreya goshal, shaan
5.Kurangu kaiyil maalai - Kamalhassan, sonu nigam, tippu, sunithi chauhan

rajasaranam
10th April 2005, 11:55 PM
Interestingly the Vandhe mataram has a post lude which we never got to hear in the Net downloads this sound great to end the song.
Theme Music ! which we heard is titled 'monkey chatter' - now the music makes some sense for me earlier i perceived it to be the life at mumbai. Is IR trying to bring in two perceptions for the same music?!! well and we know now this is where The live orchestra came into play. Theme music 2 is included in the Kurangu kaiyil malai song as prelude which we have already heard. The cassette also contains some dialogues performed betn manisha kamal and the child artiste before the Poo poothathu song.
The Audio quality is better than NEt D/L's and Iam able hear more sounds in different layers.

Aa far as Kamals claim to have sold 1,75000 Units of cassettes is proved by a Logo Of V-can marketing emblem on the Cassette Cover.

Get Going Freinds Grab your Copy now.

tmrrmt
11th April 2005, 09:39 AM
can anyone in Bangalore tell me if MX audio is released here ?

Cinefan
11th April 2005, 11:03 AM
tmrrmt,
I wanted to know the same thing.

BTW why is singeetham's name missing from the paper ad's :?

Digression:Kamal's movie with Gautham has a title:Vettai aadu vilayadu'.The muhurat is today&I think it will be a Diwali release.Music by Harris,Cinematography by Jeeva,Lyrics by Thamarai,Editing by Rajeevan,Choreography by Brinda&Stills by Anthony Sridhar,Produced by Roja Combines.

End digression.

tmrrmt
11th April 2005, 11:26 AM
Cinefan, where in Bangalore do you live ? is your name Shankar (CISCO) by any chance ?!! I am intrigued!

Cinefan
11th April 2005, 11:46 AM
Cinefan, where in Bangalore do you live ? is your name Shankar (CISCO) by any chance ?!! I am intrigued!

Nah.I live in J.P.Nagar.

Arjuna
11th April 2005, 12:11 PM
I heard Kamal saying Govinda Govindaaaaaaaaaa!! Better luck next time!!

Arjuna
11th April 2005, 12:12 PM
Kamal shuld stick with the anbe sivam combination of the awesome VS!!

krish244
11th April 2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info rajasaranam! When I heard the net downloaded version, even I was thinking that audio quality was not upto the mark in some places and hence I was very eager to get hold of a original CD.

BTW, does anyone know if it has reached Bangalore. What about the Hindi version? Some of the songs (especially "Poo Poothadhu") have great potential to get popular in North, so hindi version needs to be released.

thanks

Krishnan

Cinefan
11th April 2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info rajasaranam! When I heard the net downloaded version, even I was thinking that audio quality was not upto the mark in some places and hence I was very eager to get hold of a original CD.

BTW, does anyone know if it has reached Bangalore. What about the Hindi version? Some of the songs (especially "Poo Poothadhu") have great potential to get popular in North, so hindi version needs to be released.

thanks

Krishnan

I will try to find out during lunch time-a small walk&cassette searching :D .Will give info the next time I log in.

Shankar
11th April 2005, 02:20 PM
tmrrmt,
that's not me :-)

Shankar
11th April 2005, 02:21 PM
tmr,
...do you check ur tmrrmt mails regularly...Pls do.
Sorry for the digression, folks...

krish244
11th April 2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks Cinefan! Not sure if the below link is posted before. It talks about Raajkamal Audio lauch!

http://www.chennaionline.com/film/News/2005/03mumbaiexpress01.asp

Krishnan

krish244
11th April 2005, 03:39 PM
found one more link regarding Rajkamal audio release in Mumbai:

http://www.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=76341&cat=Entertainment

so the Hindi version is relased by "Raajkamal Audio" itself??

Krishnan

krish244
11th April 2005, 03:42 PM
oops...i think it refers to the audio release that happened in TN only and not in Mumbai!

Krishnan

Cinefan
11th April 2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/7354.html

Music review.

krish,the music has still not made it to shops in Bangalore-Neither Planet M nor Musicworld nor a couple of small shops have it.Tough luck.

I think Kamal's refusal to have more songs in the album resulted in the music companies offering him a low price.Unhappy,he decided to start his own audio company.Still he refused to atleast remix some of his old hits with IR which meant distributors/dealers were not willing to stock them paying advances.This is reflected in the delay/non availability of the audio in the markets.After all you can't start a company&ensure a smooth network in a couple of weeks.I just hope the film is good enough to remove this bitterness.

http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/shooting-spot/kamalhassan.html

Thirumavalavan&co get down to doing cheap things like threatning theatre owners where ME is going to get screened&tearing down hoardings. :evil:

krish244
11th April 2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks Cinefan!

Krishnan

kumarsr
11th April 2005, 09:01 PM
Vettaiyadu Villayadu - Both Krishnaswamy and Ramadoss oppose the new title and the film. They claim that only "Mirugangal" and not "Manitargal" should be Vettaiyadufied. They, ofcourse, also oppose the excessive violence in the movie which takes the "tamizh Enam" back to stone age.

multinamatheyan
11th April 2005, 11:12 PM
I phoned the local theatre in Toronto Canada yesterday to see when MX is releasing.

They were advertising for the upcoming release of Chandramukhi and Sachin - no mention of MX.

Something awfully wrong is going on with the release of this movie and it's music.

I'm extremely disappointed :(

kbee
12th April 2005, 12:03 AM
MX went to the wrong ppl's hand. In USA one Mr Chokku is releasing the movie, who has no knowledge about the market (there was an interview with him in SIFY and he mentioned that Kamal has an edge over Rajini, that itself shows that he has no clue about the current situation). He gave the whole movie to a guy who lease the theatre. The guy who leased has no interest to advertise, because he will get his money from Chokku anyways, no matter what. So there is no Advertisement or anything related to MX.

On the otherhand CM went to the right ppl's hand. Ppl started giving ad since 3 weeks and already sold more than 600 tickets.

As usual, Kamal associated himself with wrong ppl. Probably he made his money and never cared to market the movie, but out of personal interest some Kamal fan are giving fliers in NJ.

alias
12th April 2005, 01:02 AM
kbee, Chokku is a nice person and very sensible. He started screening movies in Dallas and I know him from that time personally. He might not be a marketing savy and defintely he knows how to sell tickets and since it happen to Kamal movie. He is expecting that the crowd will buy tickets without any hesistation. Who knows he might have brought the righs for cheap price since it has music by IR :-)

kbee
12th April 2005, 01:21 AM
alias

if you know him personally ask him to respond to my email / give me a call. I volunteered to help him out with the screening and he never replied (same with Virumaandi)

The thing is no one knows where it is screening, forget about ppl "turnining in" to buy ticket.

Also, your comment about IR is not appreciated at all and not welcomed here.

nickraman
12th April 2005, 03:03 AM
I hope they screen it here; I got my ticket in advance for CM, I'll see how it is on 4/23. I hope to see Mumbai Xpress in Hindi cause the song wasn't cut there compared to the Tamil version

BTW- Has the ME Hindi audio come out yet, plz reply to me!!!!!!

kbee
12th April 2005, 05:49 AM
hindi audio cd will be available this week in USA. It will be released by Venus in india tomorrow.

I dont know if you are seeing in NJ, but in NJ MX is in clearview cinemas - Oak tree road.

Dragun
12th April 2005, 06:08 AM
Mumbai Xpress (Tamil) is listed under "Coming Soon" on the webpage of Dallas theater FunAsia. They even list showtimes from April 14th to the 18th Tamil films usually run for only a week at this theater. I don't know what kind of promotion this or Chandramukhi is getting, since I'm not a member of the local Tamil Sangam or anything.

An employee of Everest Theater in Irving, TX told me that audience reaction was huge for Padaiyappa, and I think even for Baba as well. They are getting Chandramukhi.

I will probably wait for the Hindi version of MX to come to $5 or $2 to see it, since I almost always feel ripped off paying $10 for an Indian film :-)

nickraman
12th April 2005, 06:43 AM
THANKS ARE U SURE IT IS RELEASED BY VENUS TOMORROW!

AND BTW- I 'm in VA, LOEHMAN's THEATERS. My relative's doing something for raising money for needy children in INDIA, last time they screened Kaaka Kaaka and it was a super duper hit! It grossed a lot of money. So this time, it's CM, so I got a ticket from him on Saturday. I hope MX will screen here soon!

irfansong
12th April 2005, 07:20 AM
Dear Guys,

I live in New York. I was hearing MX theme music composed in Symphony in my room. Many of my neighbors (Americans) just stepped in and listened to the song. They said they like it very much.

I was much surprised and asked many of my colleagues (Native Americans) to hear the music and they all appreciated it like anything. They were very eager to know whoz the composer. I just gave www.raaja.com link and they were so amazed.

Previously, sometime I used to play How to name it and Nothing but wind in office. Some of my friends will hear to it unconsciously and will go to an ecstasy state. Now this music is creating wonders.

Lets see if TIS will make my colleagues still more Crazy on Raja.

One of my friend in Alabama used to hear songs from Agni Nakshathiram and Dalapathy when he goes to sleep. Hes also an American.

love & musically urs

Irfan

prabhudas
12th April 2005, 08:10 AM
Hi, Finally after 4 months, posting in TFM.
Listened to ME by becoming one more sinner among the 500 and odd sinners thro' Coolgoose, verenna seyyaradhu, the highly egoistic Kamal's erratic attitude towards both release of audio and movie has made several true fans sinners atleast temporarily.
Now my personal opinion, like many other's ...
considering this movie in the lines of MMKR /Aporva Sahodarrgal...meaning Singitham/kamal/IR combo and claimed as a wholesome entertainer, obviously I was expecting some thing on par with those two in terms of music, but definitely it is not on par with them. However , I still consider it a very good album, not an extraordinary album, but atleast with one extraordinary gem.."poo poothadhu", we knew it.. Raja you woudn't disappoint us.
Many have said it already this album has lots of jazz ( more contemporary than the classic or American jazz style, which I always liked)
My picks are, 'Poo poothadhu, Yelae nee ettippo, Kurangu kaiyil maalai in that order. I wish when Kamal works with IR again, will come out with two versions of his songs ( one for the movie where he can have all those dialogues" Engakka peru Inba, En thangachi peru sittrimba etc.." although it did sound Ok, and one version purely for audio release so we can have complete interludes), but it is a total disappointment to shorten the interludes
( vayitheruchalaa irukku), fantastic interludes in "Poo poothadhu " and " Yele nee ettippo'
I have strong suspicion if KR had to sneek in in the 'Kurangu kayyil" song composition, and if that is true, aptly he has done the first line of the song as his job ( just joking), it lacked the perfection and finer nuances of typical IR song despite being a mediocre tune (IMHO opinion) if someone really finds and establishes it was indeed 100% IR's creation, then it is probably the way Kamal insisted to have for the sake of narration/picturisation of the song in the movie. I feel it is not 100% IR compostion, atleast some percentage of the creation has been from one of his sons. The other two songs " poo poothadhu" and "'Yele nee ettippo" are outright IRish ( not Irish) which KR and YSR can not even dream of. ( It was ridiculous somebody comparing Deva to score a similar song)
"Kurangu kayyil maalai" song sounded sort of slow but bad version of " vaanam enna Keelirukku, Bhoomi enna melirukku" of "Vettri Vizha", I will check it out with time scaling with the creative media tomorrow.
About the number of songs, extraordinary brain of Kamal, saving the audio release to avoid negative publicity due to assumed poor music as per some , I think it is total absurd. Why will Kamal think this one is poor album to begin with, and Kamal's movie have audience by virtue of his class appeal and word of mouth, if the movie is too good, just because the songs are average ( Not in my opinion in ME's case) people will not avoid watching the movie.
"Autograph" a big example from last year, despite average/mediocre songs, movie became a huge hit, well adhu maadhiri niraiya irukku.
I am always optimistic that Kamal will do a great job when it comes to picturising the songs and who knows what kind of treat Ir fans will have for the BGM score, remember "aporva sahodarrgal" the same old twins, villains, taking revenge etc etc... but the nice script and presentation and the fantastic BGM score which no one expected for a movie of that kind made much difference ( only Kamal movie I have watched more than 7 times, theatrele daan, thiruttu VCD le ille).
Kbee what is your original TFM screen name,? is this movie going to be in the same "sori" theatre in NJ where they played " Virumandi", I can't imagine what the heck with this poor marketing, when they have almost week long showes for CM in NY why not one show for ME, I am surprised if the distributor thinks there are less fans of Kamal in NY, there are lots of non tamil Kamal fans ( Kannadiga and Telugu guys) from NY. When they could release "naladamayanthi" here , why they couldn't do ME.?
I make it a point to watch all Kamal movies in theatre despite my schedule because of the great admiration for his enormous talent
( in otherwords I am a hard core fan of him too ) let us see .

Hi Thops..nice seeing your posts.. how are things?
"Cinefan" are you " vishy"- freind of Sridhar Rajanna from
Bangalore?

Iniya Puthandu vaazhthukkal to all in advance

Prabhudas

prabhudas
12th April 2005, 09:26 AM
Forgot to mention, about "Kamarajar", happened to watch this movie on DVD last week, nothing but a nicely presented documentary ( I liked it very much anyway), but the BGM score is sheer magic and " naadu kandathunda" song, "Rajasaranam - add me to the list of yours who had tears listening to this beauty amazing
Prabhudas

Cinefan
12th April 2005, 11:20 AM
Prabhudas,
Sorry,Iam not that person.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/12/stories/2005041213610300.htm

Parthiban praises ME.

Thanks to hubber Joe for the link.

RajaRam
12th April 2005, 12:29 PM
Hi guys,

Songs are only bonus to kamal movie. kuruthipunal which was released without songs run 100 days(Even that time Rajini was peak)successfully in Devi theatre.In fact that movie was not suitable for children.
Now ME is Full fledged family entertainer.

In satyam till 19 april all tickets soldout. Remember satyam is the biggest theatre in chennai.Total seat capacity is 1350. santhi theatre is between 700 to 800 and sold out till 20th april.

12bums
12th April 2005, 01:04 PM
ME Telugu Music Review:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/musicreview/7499.html

alwarpet_andavan
12th April 2005, 02:20 PM
Hi guys,
In satyam till 19 april all tickets soldout. Remember satyam is the biggest theatre in chennai.Total seat capacity is 1350. santhi theatre is between 700 to 800 and sold out till 20th april.
RajaRam,
Adding to your point, Shanthi has been "broken up" into two i heard, possibly for another theatre in the premises. So, the number of seats are even lesser.

alwarpet_andavan

tmrrmt
12th April 2005, 02:45 PM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/12kamal.htm

Mumbai Express = Hype Express! - I hope it doesn't become that way! rediff smartly misquotes Kamal, but by the time you realise it the first effect of reading the headline has done the damage

Cinefan
12th April 2005, 03:49 PM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/12kamal.htm

Mumbai Express = Hype Express! - I hope it doesn't become that way! rediff smartly misquotes Kamal, but by the time you realise it the first effect of reading the headline has done the damage

Rediff does it always-cinema,sports,politics.They have a penchant for misquoting.Actually on second thoughts,nowadays the media(all kinds) do it.

As for your "Hype express" comment,I don't quite follow it.here everyone is blaming Kamal for poor marketing,he gives an interview 2 days b4 release&you call it hype. :?

tmrrmt
12th April 2005, 03:59 PM
"As for your "Hype express" comment,I don't quite follow it.here everyone is blaming Kamal for poor marketing,he gives an interview 2 days b4 release&you call it hype"

I call it 'hype' with reference to the 'Mumbai Xpress is better than Munnabhai!' title of that interview which is rediff's misquote of Kamal's answer to the question " How does this compare to recent quality comedy fare, like, say, a Munnabhai MBBS?"

"It's way different. You'll see. The performances are far superior. I mean, I did the remake down South, Vasool Raja MBBS, and I still feel Munnabhai is a much superior version."

Cinefan
12th April 2005, 04:17 PM
Well,if rediff twists Kamal's words what can be done?I felt he was being quite normal in the interview,no unneccessary build up's.

RajaRam
12th April 2005, 04:44 PM
Ya aa. that is correct.

exact seat capacity of Santhi is 598
http://dinamani.com/Cinema/CineItems.asp?ID=DNC20050408163233&Title=Cinema+%2D+News&lTitle=%F9Nn%A7Ls
and santham is 570.

So ME Rules chennai.

alwarpet_andavan
12th April 2005, 04:54 PM
Ya aa. that is correct.
So ME Rules chennai.
Well, i hope it does :-)
BTW, where are you planning to watch it first day first show? - Sathyam?

alwarpet_andavan

Cinefan
12th April 2005, 05:03 PM
BTW, where are you planning to watch it first day first show? - Sathyam?

alwarpet_andavan

If you don't mind,in which theatre are you planning to watch,got tickets?

Here in Bangalore,we don't have the list of theatres yet&First day first show is history.It's only the first weekend now,that too hopefully. :)

alwarpet_andavan
12th April 2005, 05:11 PM
If you don't mind,in which theatre are you planning to watch,got tickets?

Here in Bangalore,we don't have the list of theatres yet&First day first show is history.It's only the first weekend now,that too hopefully. :)
I'm also in Bangalore but i'll be making the "pilgrimage" to Chennai for the FDF show. Now that Sathyam is ruled out (99% no chance), it'll be either SSR Pankajam or Kasi. Anyone for it?

BTW, in Bang, it'll surely be screened in PVR, but getting tickets is another matter.

alwarpet_andavan

Cinefan
12th April 2005, 05:17 PM
I'm also in Bangalore but i'll be making the "pilgrimage" to Chennai for the FDF show. Now that Sathyam is ruled out (99% no chance), it'll be either SSR Pankajam or Kasi. Anyone for it?

BTW, in Bang, it'll surely be screened in PVR, but getting tickets is another matter.

alwarpet_andavan

Ya,PVR&Innovative multiplex are the usual suspects.I think both of them have the facility to book tickets over mobiles.If the schedule comes out,it will make things easy.

Did you get the audio here?

alwarpet_andavan
12th April 2005, 05:36 PM
Ya,PVR&Innovative multiplex are the usual suspects.I think both of them have the facility to book tickets over mobiles.If the schedule comes out,it will make things easy.
Did you get the audio here?
Not yet. Heard the CD's not released yet.
I've given up and i'm continuing to sin :-)

P.S: Watching thalaivar's movie with PVR elites ain't no fun :-)

alwarpet_andavan

tmrrmt
12th April 2005, 05:37 PM
Bangalore - MX is to be screened in Ajanta, Poornima, Sampige, PVR, Innovative Multiplex (Marathhalli) and the Hindi version either in Rex or Shankarnag(Symphony) MG Road

uv
12th April 2005, 05:46 PM
Guys

Srikanth (Ace tfmpage snr) has written wonderful review of Mumbai Express in his blog check it out
This is one of the best review I have come across so far
http://srikanthd.blogspot.com/

alwarpet_andavan
12th April 2005, 06:41 PM
Cinefan and others in Bangalore,
Are the casettes/CDs out in Bangalore?

alwarpet_andavan

RajaRam
12th April 2005, 07:09 PM
ME is screening today in USA. Can any one update the Review?
http://www.tamilpadam.com/

eden
12th April 2005, 11:11 PM
Srikanth's review has generated interest in me to listen to this album...(after virumANdi, I wasn't much interested in any Kamal-IR combo)...Two albums in the last few years which were appreciated by Srikanth were really good (time & Bharathy)...

Kumanan
12th April 2005, 11:31 PM
Poo poothathu is an awesome & quite addictive song. Sonu Nigham's tamil pronounciation is much better now. His humming around 'irulil inkor nilavu vara..' is stunning. Honestly, didnt like this song at first listening.

uv
12th April 2005, 11:59 PM
If you are jazz fan you will enjoy and amazed by the subtlities thats going on this poo poothathu song. Since we are so used to formula songs some people are not able to be comphrend the goodness of this song (sad isnt it)
Its like going on to ganabajaru and getting symphonical performances. If you have good earphones or sound system play on it and listen to the product. Dont listen to some mp3 and startcommenting fellas.

Srikanth in his review has given subtle differences and usage of musical instrument nicely

UV

genesis
13th April 2005, 01:39 AM
vijayr,

Man... you are doing very good job!! Keep it up. A lone warrior... Appreciate your time and efforts.

It is very sad that IR is not delivering as he did in 70s and 80s. Just see Manisekaran's thread... more than 90% of the songs discussed there are before 1988... but for some reason many IR fans around here refuse to accept the fact.

Sad. :cry:

kr
13th April 2005, 02:05 AM
Just because you two feel this way, why are you expecting others to feel the same way. As much as you have your rights to feel that IR is not delivering as in the 90s, it is genuine that there are others like me who vehemently disagree with that notion and feel that people like you have had this perception and no amount of factual evidence would alter your perceptions.

Where it gets irritating is the sustained campaign to deride IR and those who have an opinion contrary to your two.

Arjuna
13th April 2005, 02:05 AM
Vijay R is the real hero here - even though the cowards are trying to fight a vain warfare!!

kbee
13th April 2005, 02:28 AM
I am an IR devotee

I am a ARR fan

I am a YSR fan

I am a VS fan

Watch the difference. No MD has devotees like IR does.

Want to feel the difference, join the club or simply sleep.

nickraman
13th April 2005, 03:00 AM
WHAT ABOUT THE HINDI AUDIO RELEASE OF MUMBAI EXPRESS, PLZ SOMEONE GIVE ME PROOF!!!!

kbee
13th April 2005, 04:28 AM
Your proof will be at

www.indiavarta.com (for CDs in India)
www.dvdunlimitedonline.com (for CDs in USA)

If these sites dont have it, it ain't released yet.

mellon
13th April 2005, 05:25 AM
Hi guys,
RajaRam,
Adding to your point, Shanthi has been "broken up" into two i heard, possibly for another theatre in the premises. So, the number of seats are even lesser.

alwarpet_andavan

:rotfl:

ennappA ithu, MX padam varrathukku munnAlEyA "comedy" start aayiduththA?! :lol:

---------------

I seriously think shanthi has only 100-200 seats in a good shape. Nobody will watch Rajni's CM, which is a third-rated movie.

Mumbai Xpress is the BEST film of the year!

KH will rule!!!!

I think KH will win an OSCAR for the best actor* next year. IR will win aother OSCAR for composing "jazz-kind" music and both of them for the cclassic, mumbai xpress, of course. They will walk through the red carpet!

I think MX will run 1000 days (3 shows) in Sathyam theatre and will set a new record 8)

nickraman
13th April 2005, 06:24 AM
Your proof will be at

www.indiavarta.com (for CDs in India)
www.dvdunlimitedonline.com (for CDs in USA)

If these sites dont have it, it ain't released yet.

THE HINDI RELEASE, THIS IS TAMIL! I HAVE THE TAMIL SONGS!

kbee
13th April 2005, 07:07 AM
I am telling you. If there is an official Hindi CD release, both sites will have them.

kbee
13th April 2005, 07:07 AM
meanwhile Sachin has some issue with the distribution of the film due to some stay issued by high court...

Cinefan
13th April 2005, 10:48 AM
meanwhile Sachin has some issue with the distribution of the film due to some stay issued by high court...

One of the partners of Gemini Film Circuit which produced Shankar dada MBBS has filed the case stating one of the songs from his movie(Music Devi Sri prased-DSP) has been copied by the MD of Sachien,DSP again for the Dei,kattikoda song..Since as producer he owns the copy rights of the songs,the MD cannot reproduce it elsewhere despite it being his own creation.The case will be heard today&will decide whether the movie will make it to theatres tomorrow.
In Bangalore,
ME(Tamil version) is releasing in Ajanta,Poornima,Sampige,Vinayaka,Amruth&one more theatre while the Hindi version will be screened in PVR,Innovative Multiplex&Swagath.

RajaRam
13th April 2005, 11:11 AM
Hi mellon,

Unmaiye sonna othukkappa. polambathe.

jaiganes
13th April 2005, 11:14 AM
Cinefan! Thanks for the info. I am looking towards watching MX in Poornima. How is the dts system in poornima? Why has Pallavi theatre stopped screening thamizh movies? I saw Virumaandi & Pithamagan there. It is a good theatre.

Cinefan
13th April 2005, 11:26 AM
Cinefan! Thanks for the info. I am looking towards watching MX in Poornima. How is the dts system in poornima? Why has Pallavi theatre stopped screening thamizh movies? I saw Virumaandi & Pithamagan there. It is a good theatre.

Pallavi started out as a theatre screening only telugu films,I still remember seeing 'Sagara sangamam'with a packed audience 20years back.But over the years it became a primarily Tamil theatre with a few telugu films sprinkled in between.Over the last 3 to 4 years they have reverted back to telugu with an occasional tamil one,wonder why?Management change(from dad to son) maybe.Infact the last time Rajni&Kamal's films clashed Rajni had Muthu in Urvashi&Kamal had Kuruthi... at Pallavi.A decade later Rajni again gets Urvashi(according to me B'lore's best single theatre)but Kamal has to make do with Poornima(which is not bad but not as good as Pallavi mainly because of the lowclass surrounding areas).I also will catch up with the movie here.A pity only the Hindi version is on at the multiplex's

Chelian
13th April 2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.chennaionline.com/music/FilmsAudio/2005/04mumbaixpress.asp

tmrrmt
13th April 2005, 12:13 PM
where is "Swagath" ?

alwarpet_andavan
13th April 2005, 01:29 PM
In Bangalore,
ME(Tamil version) is releasing in Ajanta,Poornima,Sampige,Vinayaka,Amruth&one more theatre while the Hindi version will be screened in PVR,Innovative Multiplex&Swagath.
Looking at the site http://www.pvrcinemas.com, it seems like even the Hindi version of MX is not going to be released there. Only Nila Moonji is listed in the drop down :(
What the hell is happening?

alwarpet_andavan

Cinefan
13th April 2005, 03:48 PM
In Bangalore,
Looking at the site http://www.pvrcinemas.com, it seems like even the Hindi version of MX is not going to be released there. Only Nila Moonji is listed in the drop down :(
What the hell is happening?

alwarpet_andavan

there are ad's in the Times of India&The New Indian Express where PVR is shown as one of the screens where the hindi version is going to be released.

tmrrmt,
Swagath is in Jayanagar 4th block,Tilak Nagar.The film is still not confirmed in the theatre.

RajaRam
13th April 2005, 03:51 PM
Hindi version is going to release on 15th april only not 14th april.

Cinefan
13th April 2005, 04:00 PM
Hindi version is going to release on 15th april only not 14th april.

Maybe that's the reason the film is not listed yet in the PVR site,might be updated tomorrow.

alwarpet_andavan
13th April 2005, 04:10 PM
Cinefan and RajaRam,
Nalla velai PVR la Hindi version-avadhu varudhu.......
Where are you planning to watch it?
I'm watching the FDF show tomorrow in SSR Pankajam (Chennai) at 9AM. Will be in Bangalore in the weekend most probably. Hope i get to see the Tamil/Hindi version in Bang.........

alwarpet_andavan

Cinefan
13th April 2005, 04:18 PM
Hey,you managed to get the tickets. :D

I should hopefully see the Tamil version in Poornima on Saturday,lets see.

RajaRam
13th April 2005, 05:32 PM
I am trying to get tickets in Sathyam. Because I like sathyam only.

Cinefan
13th April 2005, 05:36 PM
I am trying to get tickets in Sathyam. Because I like sathyam only.

Trying means :? Black-a?

RajaRam
13th April 2005, 05:57 PM
yes.
Red-carpet premiere for Mumbai Xpress.
http://www.indiafm.com/scoop/05/apr/1304mumbaixpress/index.shtml

kbee
13th April 2005, 06:22 PM
All set to watch MX tomorrow night at ClearView in NJ-USA

prabhudas
13th April 2005, 06:49 PM
Kbee
Is ME being shown in two theatres in NJ,? Is Clearview different from the one listed in Sulekha.com? Could u please give a link for any online booking for this movie in NJ.
Thanks
Prabhudas

mellon
13th April 2005, 10:55 PM
Hi mellon,

Unmaiye sonna othukkappa. polambathe.

nAn uNmaiyai thaviRa ethuvumE pEsuRathu illai as long as I am talking to a sensible person! :rotfl:

Suit yourself "Saytha(m)"-sheelaa! :poke:

rajasaranam
13th April 2005, 10:57 PM
Got to watch 'MUMBAI XPRESSU' Preview.

Ohhh how i wish to say the movie is very good and will be a grand success

reality
naa time mattum kaadhu kamal dabbullu kooda anni chaala nashtam. vaerae yaemi pani undaennu ika unnaru naan friends anni athae chaesi, ee padam choop leathu. Ithae Kamal careerlu petha flop aayi pothaam.

Its better for kamal to stop hyping his movies hence forth. stop scripting all together and do a round again with top directors. also i think he should stop producing movies and take 'Marudhanayagam' instead.

ramdas2005
13th April 2005, 10:59 PM
Hi folks,
Based on reviews from viewers in malaysia and singapore, CM is a blockbuster, very good reviews so far. CM was screened at 6:00 PM singapore time on April 13th.
No news about MX, I am begining to doubt that MX may not be that good as it was advertised to be.

nickraman
14th April 2005, 02:09 AM
CM sucks! Who cares about Singapore's ratings, we care about INDIA's ratings! MX will go for the gold! I KNOW IT!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN MX HINDI AUDIO IS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD, PLZ REPLY!!

mellon
14th April 2005, 02:23 AM
Hey!

In that case, I want the CM ticket u reserved for april 23!

Why u still want to go see a movie that is no good, huh?! :?

nickraman
14th April 2005, 02:34 AM
I was joking...LOL :lol: . I wish Rajni wasn't in it though, they could have gotten Mohan Lal to repeat his role :? , but anyways!

I hope MX is playing in VA soon!

mellon
14th April 2005, 02:47 AM
I know there are places in which MX is screened earlier than CM. The "timings" has lot to do with the convenience of the distributor.

I think both Rajni and KH need a hit film badly. Hope they both win, this time!

If I hear anything about MX (hindi), I will bring that to ur attention. You just have got to wait for a while I guess if "that song" means so much to you :lol:

irfansong
14th April 2005, 05:06 AM
Dear Guys,

Mumbai Express is released in PVR cinemas (Both in Hindi and Tamil).

The saddest thing is all the tickets for the coming weekend are sold out.

With love
Irfan

nickraman
14th April 2005, 06:19 AM
Where can I download the hindi songs of Mumbai Express!

irir123
14th April 2005, 10:02 AM
can anyone who has seen MX give an honest, unbiased review of the movie, and compare and contrast it with other comedies of KH ?

RajaRam
14th April 2005, 03:30 PM
I saw both MX and CM.

MX is much much better than CM.

In MX first half is very fast and second of slow compared with first half. but totally a good one. movie is not like other kamal movies. it is only 150 minutes. there is only one song(Poo poothathu) in tamil.

In CM Rajini has acted thats all. there is nothing to say.

irir123
14th April 2005, 04:12 PM
"there is only one song(Poo poothathu) in tamil." - what happnd to the other songs ?? banaal ??!! idhu yenna pudhu karadi ? how was/is the BGM by IR ?

Cinefan
14th April 2005, 04:38 PM
Dear Guys,

Mumbai Express is released in PVR cinemas (Both in Hindi and Tamil).

The saddest thing is all the tickets for the coming weekend are sold out.

With love
Irfan

Are you sure about the Tamil version also getting released?I thought only the Hindi version was getting released.

Cinefan
14th April 2005, 05:12 PM
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/movies/mumbaixpress_movie.shtml

Movie review of the dubbed telugu version-Good entertainment.

balaji
14th April 2005, 05:16 PM
Telugucinema.com gives 'Thumbs down' to Chandrmucki.
Mumbai Express gets a 'FLAT THUMB"

Bala

Cinefan
14th April 2005, 05:27 PM
Mumbai Express gets a 'FLAT THUMB"

Bala

The review says it's a clean entertainer&good pastime despite not a great story.I would say that should translate to a thumbs up&not a flat thumb.

balaji
14th April 2005, 05:38 PM
Cinefan:

If only Kamal had not made all that hype it could have been translated as "THUMPS UP", IMHO.

Also the site that always sings high of IR, said ok to re-recording. That sounds not encouraging...

The unique part of Chandramucki review was that they commented that 'The two villans of the movie are P Vasu and Vidya Sagar'. P Vasu I could imagine, commnet on VS was a tad too much. Any way I have not seen the movie so have to wait for mu judgement..

Bala

Cinefan
14th April 2005, 05:45 PM
Cinefan:

If only Kamal had not made all that hype it could have been translated as "THUMPS UP", IMHO.

Also the site that always sings high of IR, said ok to re-recording. That sounds not encouraging...

I was under the impression that ME was the least hyped of all Kamal releases.It was shot in Mumbai&so the Tamil media ignored it.kamal also didn't give regular updates,photographs,quotes&interviews,The audio made it to the markets at the last minute,trailers are a rarity.Where is the hype sir?

As for re-recording,in a full length comedy the scope is very limited even for IR :D

multinamatheyan
14th April 2005, 06:10 PM
Cinefan,

take it easy. Some people think any promotion is hype.

They want movies to come out without any announcement at all.

The so called hype translates into the first few weeks of the show being sold out - the rest depends on the merit of the movie.

I am yet to be let down by the 'hype' for a Kamal movie. I have come to expect a certain quality from Kamal films and I always get it.

Same goes for Rajni films. The only one I was sort of let down by was Baba. Even that was not as bad as the media portrayed it to be.

krish244
14th April 2005, 06:40 PM
Whats this news about ME???

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/14mumbai.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

ramdas2005
14th April 2005, 06:42 PM
Hi folks,
After all these days of hype,
CM has been getting mixed reviews, the reviews have not been flattering.
idlebrain.com 2.75.5
telugucinema.com thumbs down
sify.com - watchable
rediff - hit (but more like jothika's film than rajini)

All of these sites mention about the fact that screenplay and narration is haphazard. It is the climax which has a suspense element, in fact rediff said jothika outperfomed rajini. i was not flattered by rediff review, it just seem to skim the surface. sify.com mentioned about rajini not lighting up the screen like before and also looking aged in some scenes.

vijayr
14th April 2005, 07:08 PM
Kamal's interview in video here
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/7320.html

He mentions that he was insulted by the offer given by audio companies(in clip 2) and decided to launch his own audio company and made six times as much money

vijayr
14th April 2005, 07:15 PM
Forgot to mention, the interview seems interesting and different, not the usual stuff.Also,the entire interview is in "peter" :-)

vijayr
14th April 2005, 07:17 PM
I would advise everyone not to seriously buy into rediff's reviews. I read their pathetic reviews for Swades. They are tuned to appreciate all those HAJJKs and HAJJKLs kinda movies with 20 songs, 2 wedding sequences and loads of sentiment.

ramdas2005
14th April 2005, 07:32 PM
Check this news.....

Source: Sify

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13717922

First day, first show!

By Moviebuzz
Thursday, 14 April , 2005, 18:55

Fans of superstars are having a Tamil New Year feast in theatres across Tamilnadu. The shows started in the wee hours of the day and all the three biggies Chandramukhi, Mumbai Xpress and Sachin have taken a 100 to 120 percent opening!
In Chennai suburbs, ticket rates across the counter were Rs 100 and most of the theatres have overflowing audience sitting on the aisle or standing. The fans just wanted a good time and above all to see the film first day first show. The theatre management made a killing as the halls were overflowing beyond capacity.

All the releases carry average reports, nothing extraordinary. By Tuesday morning a clear picture will emerge. Meanwhile Vijay fans were disappointed that the Vijay-Bipasha sizzler song is missing as it was deleted after Madras High Court put a ban on the song.

Vijay told Sify.com: “Please inform my fans that by Monday we will try to work out something as we will try to put back the sexy number with a new tune and background score. I am happy by the way the film has shaped out”.

alwarpet_andavan
14th April 2005, 08:12 PM
Watched MX FDFS at SSR Pankajam and matinee show at Kasi.
It's not a roller-coaster ride like MMKR but the comedy is classy nevertheless. Go without expectations and you won't be disappointed. Not Kamal's best but not bad either.
Ilayaraaja's RR is superb, especially the scene where Kamal walks on the crane. Wonder why they made such a fuss about the Vandematarm song - (definitely wouldn't have been offensive, given the context)
Poo poothathu has been butchered and as we all know, my favorite "Yelae nee.." has been consored.
Runnin outa time now.... Go watch it...
P.S: The crowd reaction was mixed, IMO

alwarpet_andavan

alwarpet_andavan
14th April 2005, 08:12 PM
Watched MX FDFS at SSR Pankajam and matinee show at Kasi.
It's not a roller-coaster ride like MMKR but the comedy is classy nevertheless. Go without expectations and you won't be disappointed. Not Kamal's best but not bad either.
Ilayaraaja's RR is superb, especially the scene where Kamal walks on the crane. Wonder why they made such a fuss about the Vandematarm song - (definitely wouldn't have been offensive, given the context)
Poo poothathu has been butchered and as we all know, my favorite "Yelae nee.." has been consored.
Runnin outa time now.... Go watch it...
P.S: The crowd reaction was mixed, IMO

alwarpet_andavan

uv
14th April 2005, 08:48 PM
Rajasaranam and guys

I asked about ME at Guitar Prasannas website about the style of music in ME here is his reply to my question

read on

"
Dear UV,

I did listen to some of the songs from ME and was pleasantly surprised to hear my electric guitar on the theme song. I recorded that a few years back when it was an untitled instrumental work of Illayaraja and I see its been used as theme for this film.

The 'Theme music' after the strings intro has undercurrents of 'ragtime' and reminds me a bit of Scott Joplin and Claude Bolin but its finally Illayaraja and that's what makes it all unique.

Raja's music in this film is harmonically very advanced, unlike stuff we normally hear in Indian popular music and definitely has complex and Jazzy harmony all over it, it would be interesting to point out here that the essence of 'Jazz' lies in the language of improvisation.

Until one gets a live band to 'interpret' composed material in an improvised and interactive manner, it will not have the spirit of Jazz. Since that doesn't happen here, I would just call this as great music from a master composer, instead of attaching any style like Jazz to it.

On the song 'Poo Poothathu', the drum groove is wonderful. From listening in Real Audio, I can't make out if parts of it are played live or is fully programmed, but the snare drum is always played just a little behind the beat and gives it a relaxed groove. That's what is called 'backbeat' or 'playing in the pocket'.

Except for Jazz, R&B, good solid Funk and some Rock like Led Zeppelin, most times, the snare drum is on 'top of the beat' and I personally don't dig that 'top of the beat' much. So, Purushotham or whoever played/programmed that has done a great job.

Also, the piano parts (again its probably synth and not acoustic piano) are really nice and have very nice phrasing, I suspect its played by Viji Manuel and he's done a great job. "

End Quote

Thanks to Prasanna for taking his valuable time and answering my question

teja
14th April 2005, 09:11 PM
Another MX (Telugu version) review
http://www.fullhyderabad.com/scripts/profiles.php3?section=Movies&name=Mumbai+Xpress&ID=2825

Watch out for the Vande Mataram song which the children sing while Kamal dangles holding on for dear life. Adding effect into that one is the superb composition by Illayaraja.

The songs are completely in the zone with the present generation. They also had Jazz influence that grows on us, but audiences expecting the Illayaraja of yore will miss him. The background music is classic Illayaraja and a definite hit even outside the movie.

dude
14th April 2005, 09:51 PM
From Guitar Prasanna's reply:
"Raja's music in this film is harmonically very advanced, unlike stuff we normally hear in Indian popular music and definitely has complex and Jazzy harmony all over it, it would be interesting to point out here that the essence of 'Jazz' lies in the language of improvisation.

Until one gets a live band to 'interpret' composed material in an improvised and interactive manner, it will not have the spirit of Jazz. Since that doesn't happen here, I would just call this as great music from a master composer, instead of attaching any style like Jazz to it."

This is my feeling too. Just because a song uses jazz instruments, it does not become jazz music. I have posted similar thoughts earlier in some other thread about Jazz in TFM.

Again, we really dont know whether the musicians just played IR's notes or they did try and improvise while playing. But going by IR's reputation, most likely he wrote the music and the musicians just played it. But, there is no denying that it sounds really good, especially the drumming.

Having said that, I really dont think true Jazz can be created for tamil films, or for any film music for that matter. There is too much restriction on musicians imposed by the composers in film music composing...

Thanks to UV for posting Guitar Prasanna's thoughts here...

app_engine
14th April 2005, 11:13 PM
http://www.keralanext.com/news/indexread.asp?id=180612

vijayr
14th April 2005, 11:22 PM
One of the first reviews on Tamil ME
http://www.geocities.com/ram_aishoo/MumbaiExpress.htm

app_engine
14th April 2005, 11:38 PM
"Illayaraja’s background score is a big disappointment"
...When expectations are high, this is bound to happen...

app_engine
14th April 2005, 11:39 PM
sorry, forgot to add `at some point of time'...

rajasaranam
15th April 2005, 12:01 AM
what nonsense IR's BGM was the only good thing in this otherwise badly made movie :(

MumbaiRamki
15th April 2005, 12:01 AM
app_engine ..

Second factor may be that the background score might be abit out of boundary from the regular raaja BGM stuff ..

uv
15th April 2005, 12:27 AM
rajasaranam
did you read Guitar prasannas reply to my email

UV

nickraman
15th April 2005, 01:20 AM
I WANT TO GET THE HINDI AUDIO OF MUMBAI XPRESS NOW, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY INFO ABOUT IT, I HAVE HEARD IT IN TAMIL, SO PLZ REPLY! I WANT TO KNOW WHERE TO DOWNLOAD THE HINDI AUDIO VERSION OF IT!

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 11:06 AM
http://www.idlebrain.com/movie/archive/mr-mumbaixpress.html

Another review of the telugu version,actually it left me confused.The review says there is no emotional thread in the movie???????????&the comedy is slapstick-The feedback I have got is that there is very little traces of the Kamal brand of slapstick in the movie.

rajasaranam,
Can you explain in detail why you found the movie badly made instead of(very uncharacteristically)dealing in one liners&half baked(Or should I say Quarter baked)telugu :D

The geocities review was excellent-unbiased&to the point.

RajaRam
15th April 2005, 02:59 PM
see the Review of audience.
http://www.dinamani.com/cinema/putthandumovies/news.asp?Topic=77&Title=R%AArl+%D7jR%F4i%D3j+%A7%FBWlTPeLs&ID=DNC20050414125727&nDate=

ME only got good Response.

ME Review - indiaglitz
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/7354.html

CM Review - ig
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/7301.html

Sachin - ig
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/7376.html

am0228
15th April 2005, 03:52 PM
Check out the Hindi review
http://www.indiafm.com/reviews/05/mumbaixpress/index.shtml

Should do well in the North.

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 04:03 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/interview/6305.html

Interview with Kamal.

balaji
15th April 2005, 04:22 PM
Cinefan

Taran Adarsh never gives a 'Thumps Up' unless it is an Yash Chopra type film. Even serious SRK film 'Swades' got a thumps down.

This is good new for Kamal.

Hope it does well in Hindi. Going by what I see, will sure to be a hit in Mumbai ciruit like his other films...

What I meant as Hype was Kamal always over speaks. I did not mean in Marketing...

Thanks for the links
Bala

krish244
15th April 2005, 04:23 PM
Okay...here is a blow from Rediff. It (review of ME in Hindi version) says Kamal failed to deliver!!!! No word about the music.

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/15mumbaixp.htm

Krishnan

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 04:50 PM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/04/15/stories/2005041503180200.htm

The Hindu review-Says the movie is bang on target

Krish,
I could only laugh at the rediff review.

This weeks Kumudam has given a thumbs Up for the movie listing as it's faults only Manisha's underdeveloped role,a little abrupt climax&the pace in the second half which flags a little(In fact these three things are what every reviewer is saying).On the whole it's called the film 'Nagaichuvai express"In fact it says Kamal's habit of putting his ear machine on top of the mobile is very natural&hilarious.This Sneha francis finds it irritating. :lol: All reviewers including the legendary :D Taran Adarsh who operates as a one man demolition squad out to crush films has nice words to say.I was :o -d.Also when has Kamal brought in his superstardom into his movies that he will bring it here.And after a round of Kamal bashing she says the screenplay is impressive,My God!She has also found Nala Damayanthi a better film :shock: without knowing the basic fact that Singeetham was not in any way connected with the movie&in fact it was the weakest comedy Kamal has ever written&was critically/commercially bashed.No reviewer or film goer is commenting on graphics or hi-tech scenes.What is she talking of?It's not necessary to write only flattering reviews but to overdo criticism is equally bad.I felt the reviews in geocities,Indiaglitz,indiafm,Kumudam&Hindu were honest&balanced.

irir123
15th April 2005, 05:04 PM
Cinefan - even better this female calls Ramesh Aravind a Telugu actor !! that was equally hilarious !

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 05:21 PM
Cinefan - even better this female calls Ramesh Aravind a Telugu actor !! that was equally hilarious !

No,No.She calls him Telugu Superstar :rotfl:

From where does Rediff find people who have such a poor knowledge of the subject they are writing on.

stvasan
15th April 2005, 05:31 PM
Cinefan,
Where did you see the Kumudam review? I tried online but couldn't find one. It's nice to see that the mag. has given good review.

BTW, Indiaglitz has given thumbs-up to MX but exactly the opposite to CM!!

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 05:38 PM
Cinefan,
Where did you see the Kumudam review? I tried online but couldn't find one. It's nice to see that the mag. has given good review.

The online version is not yet uploaded but the print version is available.

stvasan
15th April 2005, 05:56 PM
Cinefan,

The online version is not yet uploaded but the print version is available.

Have u seen the movie? What's your thoughts abt it? Will it be a hit?

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 06:13 PM
stvasan,
Not yet but my friends whose taste for cinema is similar to mine saw yesterday&were satisfied.They said the first half is breathtakingly fast while it slows down a bit in the 2nd half.The climax was also a little abrupt but overall they said it was 'Paisa Vasool'.As far as the BO is concerned,their opinion was there is no reason why it should fail though business in the urban areas might be better than the rural ones.

rajasaranam
15th April 2005, 06:23 PM
UV,

yeah sorry to have overlooked that post :( well anyway this reply from Guitar Prasanna does once again establish that IR cannot be stamped of any particular genre. its folk carnatic, hinduatani etall in complete package. Probably the history will come up with terming his compostions as IR-genre all together - no limits no bounds - music of IR is in its own right a genre by itself :)

cinefan,

Athan problemnnu nenaikiraen in my urge to see the movie anyway, i attempted seeing in Telugu which i understand partially. thats why iam not commenting much except saying the movie is bad. Let me try it in hindi / Tamil and comeup with a clean review.
but some of my freinds who are ardent fan of Kamal-IR have also commented that the movie is Ok only not that great.
But CM is sure to be a blockbuster IMHO. It was clean movie with all ingredients in perfect proportion garnished with the Mass Charishma of Rajini.

stvasan
15th April 2005, 06:29 PM
UV,

yeah sorry to have overlooked that post :( well anyway this reply from Guitar Prasanna does once again establish that IR cannot be stamped of any particular genre. its folk carnatic, hinduatani etall in complete package. Probably the history will come up with terming his compostions as IR-genre all together - no limits no bounds - music of IR is in its own right a genre by itself :)

cinefan,

Athan problemnnu nenaikiraen in my urge to see the movie anyway, i attempted seeing in Telugu which i understand partially. thats why iam not commenting much except saying the movie is bad. Let me try it in hindi / Tamil and comeup with a clean review.
but some of my freinds who are ardent fan of Kamal-IR have also commented that the movie is Ok only not that great.
But CM is sure to be a blockbuster IMHO. It was clean movie with all ingredients in perfect proportion garnished with the Mass Charishma of Rajini.

But, many (sites) feel that usual charisma is missing with Rajini and that only the climax is very good. The usual tempo one sees in Rajini films isn't quite there is the general opinion of many.

Cinefan
15th April 2005, 06:30 PM
cinefan,

OH!so that was the problem :D.

BTW,I think people who are going with great expectations are finding the film Ok while those who go expecting to have a nice time&come out with a smile on their faces are very satisfied.I don't think the film is great cinema(Kamal has said so in his interview to indiaglitz/sify the link for which I have given)&he is not touching/crossing new frontiers.The intention is to make the family come to the theatres this summer&if that is met,there is no reason to complain.

Your comments on CM,was that based after seeing it?Chumma thaan kekkarein.

alwarpet_andavan
15th April 2005, 06:43 PM
I make it a point not to read rediff reviews and even if i do, consider the opposite of what is written to be true (in most cases).
And moreover, i feel it's better to watch films we are looking forward to, without reading any reviews.

alwarpet_andavan

MumbaiRamki
15th April 2005, 07:35 PM
Hndi Mumbai Xpress ...
http://www.indiafm.com/reviews/05/mumbaixpress/index.shtml

Thumbs Up !!!!

I don't like Indiafm reviews ,but they do predict Box office correctly !!!

kumarsr
15th April 2005, 07:54 PM
Usually I have found the corelation between Sify's tamil movie review verdict and box performance is good. On Virumandi, they said the movie was Ok and it was an average hit. On Vasool Raja, they said Paisa Vassol and was a hit. Ofcourse, this means very little for the quality of the movie but their review points to mass sentiment.

kbee
15th April 2005, 07:55 PM
I thought I will never come back here, but MX made me come back here. I saw the movie yesterday. There are few things here I wanted to say

1. No title - because the song was cut, so you straight away go into the plot. i thought it is nice, straight into the business. You are so much into the plot, so when Kamal comes in the first scene, no whistle, no claps nothing.

2. We all know that Kamal is deaf, but still you will be fooled. Until he put the plugs in, you will not find him to be a deaf. Watch it and you will know why I said that. People who doesnt know that Kamal is a deaf couldnt control their laugh. There was a pregnant lady sitting next to me and she couldnt control herself and she had so much pain - again she didnt have any expectation for the movie, but if you are imaging something like MMKR or SLV, you may not get that here.

3. There is no BGM for first 40 minutes. First time you hear BGM is when Kamal decided to get on to the crane, but a very effective one. This is the 'Kurangu Kaiyil Malai' song

4. Kamal should have used regular film(instead of DV) for long shots. It has lot of grains. Its a win win situation for Kamal, cuz except him, the rest of the movie could not have caused more than 1 crore - including both the versions.

5. Like Kamal hyped, the people in the movies are serious. But what happens around them are funny

6. No body acted well - they just comes as a character, so you wont see the acting. I am particularly taking about Kamal. No usual Kamal acting. Its different.

7. Kurangu Kaiyil Malai comes only for 2 minutes and Poo Poothathu only for 3 minutes.

8. There was a very small story line that says the whole world is marching towards money than love/affection. The way he said that is beautiful. It is not explicit but implicit. These are the qualities a Kamal fan normally look for in a Kamal movie and he gets that.

9. As far as IR goes, there is nothing special here. I am a hardcore IR fan too, but nothing great to mention here. He could have done some BGM during the first 40 minutes, which seems too long of a dialogue.

10. Last, Kamal should have opted for "A" certificate and included the title song. It must have been a great start for the movie. Why the hell did he bother to obtain "U" - just because he wanted this to be a Family Entertainer? If that is the case then Thiruppachi is a "A" certificate movie and its a hit (unfortunately).

Now I am rating the movie from 3 different audiances

1. Kamal Fans : Good movie, but not the best from Kamal. No kissing scenes.

2. Rajini/Vijay Fans : Confused. (In a way its odd cuz it used to be Kamal vs Rajini, now Kamal vs Vijay also. kamal still looking young except his BIG tummy. May be he is preparing for his next "cop"land.

3. Unbiased Viewer : Very Good Movie.

I am going to see CM tomorrow (inspite of the bad reivew - cuz of Rajini factor) and will honest opinion tomorrow.

MumbaiRamki
15th April 2005, 08:23 PM
kbee ,
It Appears to be a tummy ..But that is how his body structure is ....:)

ramdas2005
15th April 2005, 08:42 PM
I find rediff to be a funny site for reviews,
They said kamal failed to deliver in hindi review of MX,

Now this review of MX tamil version::
http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/15xpress.htm.

mellon
15th April 2005, 09:10 PM
Usually I have found the corelation between Sify's tamil movie review verdict and box performance is good. On Virumandi, they said the movie was Ok and it was an average hit. On Vasool Raja, they said Paisa Vassol and was a hit. Ofcourse, this means very little for the quality of the movie but their review points to mass sentiment.

VirumaaNid hit????????

Show me the theatres it ran 100 or 100 + days>

Vasool raaja mmbs was hit ???

Show me the same.

Both movies are not hits which clearly says, sify misjudges an outcome of a tamil movie! :lol:

kumarsr
15th April 2005, 09:13 PM
The two reviews in rediff can't be any more different. It shows how reviews are extremely subjective. It also brings out some inbuilt biases on the part of the reviewer.

mellon
15th April 2005, 09:16 PM
Sify is more of Keralites-kind of judgement.

It aint good for judginga a tamil movie with Rajnikanth.

Telugu cinema review is a joke!

kbee
15th April 2005, 09:31 PM
[quote="mellon
VirumaaNid hit????????

Show me the same.

Both movies are not hits which clearly says, sify misjudges an outcome of a tamil movie! :lol:[/quote]

A movie is considered a hit if it runs well in Madhurai, Coimbatore, Erode, Salem & Trichy & Chennai. If Ghilly runs for 100 days in tambaram, in a theatre owned by Vijay, its no victory. If a movie runs for more than 50 days in all the theatres released in the above mentioend cities, its a victory.

app_engine
15th April 2005, 09:52 PM
kbee, good decision to come back and post in the DF...I've been around for 4+ years and there have been pests from time to time with obscene language etc...Just ignore them and in time they'll disappear...With the new design, I think the admin are controlling better, IMHO...

vijayr
15th April 2005, 09:58 PM
Depending on how well the Hindi translation of Tamil dialogues worked and considering the known biases of Hindi reviewers and audiences towards South heroes/films its no surprise that the reviews for Hindi and Tamil versions are poles apart. Maybe some of the dialogues didnt work that well in Hindi. Shoba Warrier is more of a regular Tamil movie viewer who is probably Chennai-based and probably had a better grip on the Tamil version. Anyways rediff reviews are no more valid than kbee's review above.

Jacky
15th April 2005, 10:05 PM
"VirumaaNid hit????????

Show me the same. "

Both the movies were acknowledged as hits in every site. Rediff, Hindu, and sify. BTW, Kamal doesn't force people to run a film for 100 days like Rajni. A friend of mine said Baba was screened for 100 days in chennai (Albert) with no one in the hall - Making it a double whammy!

mellon
15th April 2005, 10:15 PM
Because it is easy to SPELL HIT rathen than FLOP, I guess. :lol:

You can write anything you want in a site which does not make it correct. 8)

The fact is KH is yet to see a hit after, ThenaLi. :cry:

multinamatheyan
15th April 2005, 10:18 PM
Based on the Indiaglitz reviews of all three movies and the Dinamani fan reactions, looks like MX is the clear winner of the three.

But, I am worried the nuisance created by the so called 'Tamil lovers' will affect the run of the movie.

It's nice to note that Hindi reviews of MX are also quite positive, the Rediff review is an exception.

Here in Toronto too CM is not getting good reveiws. It's playing at Woodside Cinema which is the regular Tamil theatre.

People I talked to, mostly youngsters in their 20s did not have much positive remarks about CM. But, I think people older will like it simply because of the Rajni factor.

As for MX, the regular Tamil film distributers did not get the rights to the movie. A new group is releasing the movie at the AMC Cinemas at Kennedy Commons (Kennedy and Hwy 401) starting today at 7:30.

To my bad luck, I have a plane to catch at 6:00. I hate my life:-)

But, it is good news to hear that the movie is releasing at AMC as it will have far better facilities than the Tamil theatres here. AMC usually only plays English movies and the odd Hindi movie.

Hope the movie is still running when I get back to town in 10 days.

....later

mellon
15th April 2005, 10:20 PM
My sources tell me MX is a flop in B and C area for sure! 8)

multinamatheyan
15th April 2005, 10:41 PM
Mellon,

are your sources also known as 'voices in your head'? :lol:

No fear. Psychiatrist Saravanan is on his way to rescue you :thumbsup:

rajasaranam
15th April 2005, 10:42 PM
But, many (sites) feel that usual charisma is missing with Rajini and that only the climax is very good. The usual tempo one sees in Rajini films isn't quite there is the general opinion of many.

Yes stvasan this is not a usual Rajini movie no Punch dialogues, no heroism a clean movie. since the plot had origin in malayalam its was neatly adopted to tamil i think. The movie is a good entertainer thats about it. nothing more nothing less.
In one of my previous posts i mentioned Kamal to stop hyping his movies. there was no hyping from the part of CM makers and i went in without any expectation got a good movie to watch. but in case of MX i went in with Great expectation, and with Kamal's Interview talking about 'a serious movie with underlying comedy ,.satire et all 'i was expecting a movie at par with Charlie chaplin movies :( that was also a reason i didnt like it/ neway let me watch it in tamil/hindi and comeback.

mellon
15th April 2005, 10:43 PM
Mellon,

are your sources also known as 'voices in your head'? :lol:

No fear. Psychiatrist Saravanan is on his way to rescue you :thumbsup:

If he could not succeed, I will watch Guna once again and try to understnd! :lol:

"nI abiraami naan saami"! :poke:

rajasaranam
15th April 2005, 10:45 PM
mellon,

Virumaandi, vassol raja Hit illaya :shock: ungala than HIT adichu kollanumnu thaedikittu irukaen :) JFF :wink:

mellon
15th April 2005, 10:47 PM
ingE orE araajaham nadakkuthunga!

ellAm poi poiyaa solraanga!

rajasaranam
15th April 2005, 10:55 PM
3. There is no BGM for first 40 minutes. First time you hear BGM is when Kamal decided to get on to the crane, but a very effective one. This is the 'Kurangu Kaiyil Malai' song

8. There was a very small story line that says the whole world is marching towards money than love/affection. The way he said that is beautiful. It is not explicit but implicit. These are the qualities a Kamal fan normally look for in a Kamal movie and he gets that.

9. As far as IR goes, there is nothing special here. I am a hardcore IR fan too, but nothing great to mention here. He could have done some BGM during the first 40 minutes, which seems too long of a dialogue.

10. Last, Kamal should have opted for "A" certificate and included the title song. It must have been a great start for the movie. Why the hell did he bother to obtain "U" - just because he wanted this to be a Family Entertainer? If that is the case then Thiruppachi is a "A" certificate movie and its a hit (unfortunately).

first 40 mins BGM illaya :shock: i think i started hearing Raja right from the plan Starts developing . Its 'Kurangu kaiyil maalai' which is the theme music and comes in now and then in different instrumetns also the 'monkey chatter' theme gets heard often. regarding the Crane scene the BGM was awesome. Its not only 'kurangu kaiyil maalai' but there was some varition to it.
Kamal and A certificate. hmmm intha kovam enakkum irukku, anthaala ethavathu seiyanum :evil:

12bums
15th April 2005, 10:56 PM
enpa, movie'a review panna sonna, review'vayae review panraenga? kbee, how can i show you a theatre where Virumaandi and VMBBS ran for 100 days?

Anyway, ur facts are kinda screwed up. Virumandi was a reasonable success and VMBBS was a good hit. I would have liked it to be the other way round, but that is not what it turned out to be. Now please dont go around asking for documents to prove it , but I am reasonably sure that others in the thread can back me up on this, as it is a well known fact.

As far as the hindi reviewin rediff is concerned, north'la in every movie they are used to seeing 5 heroes and 6 heroines with 2 item numbers which has another 2 well known faces as guest appearances. Athellam paarthittu, if they see just 1 hero and 1 heroine througout the movie, they are bound to mistake that as 'superstar' syndrome! :D

mellon
15th April 2005, 10:59 PM
deleted as suggested by the mod :)

rajasaranam
15th April 2005, 11:03 PM
ingE orE araajaham nadakkuthunga!

ellAm poi poiyaa solraanga!

poi illeenga. devikala, devibala, sakthi abirami, chandran madri kutti kutti theatresla 100 naal odunaa padam hit illa. its the initial collections from a large theatre that counts. most movies will be declared Hit/ flop within 25 days of its release. And all will pocket their Profit within this time frame, after that its only more profit or the actors Boosted ego to make it run for 100/175 days.

pithamgan ran only 60 days
virumaandi ran only 75 days
vasool raja only 75 days
but all 3 movies were highest grossers in recent time. Infact Virumaandi's collections were more than 'Devarmagan'

but AAlavandhan/BABA ran 100 days but were flops.

mellon
15th April 2005, 11:05 PM
Well, if your "definition" is different from mine, obviously, my results will be different too when I modify that with your parameters :lol:

Thiru
15th April 2005, 11:07 PM
mellon,

Do not spam the threads by posting the same message in different threads...

mellon
15th April 2005, 11:12 PM
I deleted every post! :notworthy:

Thank you! 8)

multinamatheyan
15th April 2005, 11:46 PM
Rajasaranam,

I remember Kamal's Guru running for over 400 days in Colombo (Sri Lanka) and for over 375 days in Jaffna (Tamil Eelam).

I guess we will never see those days again , as the VCD will be out on the second day itself. So the strateggy is to release the movie in as many theatres as possible and get huge openings with advertising and star value.

kbee
16th April 2005, 12:08 AM
Anyways rediff reviews are no more valid than kbee's review above.
Is it a compliment :D or critisism :roll:

kbee
16th April 2005, 12:11 AM
enpa, movie'a review panna sonna, review'vayae review panraenga? kbee, how can i show you a theatre where Virumaandi and VMBBS ran for 100 days?

Hey I am a kamal fan tool. I am telling that the way movie is decided hit is by the centers I metioned above and necessary if it runs for 100 days or 1000 days.

mellon
16th April 2005, 12:18 AM
So, Baba is a commercially flop movie?! :roll:

Well, :notworthy:

app_engine
16th April 2005, 12:36 AM
Unfortunately yes, mellon, otherwise RK wouldn't have taken the pain to give back money to disti's as compensation:-(

mellon
16th April 2005, 12:42 AM
How much you invest and how much you made out of it matters!

I invest 10 Crore and get 25 crore and (not 40 as anticipated) is not a failure, imho.

Nobody lost that much money in that movie business 8)

Jacky
16th April 2005, 01:36 AM
Why do you discuss Rajni's Business scope in ME thread?
BTW, Rajni wouldn't have repaid if the guys could break even.

mellon
16th April 2005, 01:38 AM
Jacky:

Any thread gets carried away. Dont you know THIS?

Why dont you fix everybody if u r a moderator here :twisted: ?

Jacky
16th April 2005, 01:48 AM
That's not my job dude. Have you seen Kamal fans doing anything like this in CM thread?

mellon
16th April 2005, 01:50 AM
KH fans are perfect. So are you! :notworthy:

Have fun with MX :poke:

Jacky
16th April 2005, 01:57 AM
It's evident you're feeling insecure. Don't worry 2000 year old Mahavatar Babaji will bless Dr.you-know-who!
:lol:

nickraman
16th April 2005, 01:59 AM
Any word on the Hindi Audio of Mumbai Xpress? Is it out for listening, or for downloads? Plz provide links thanks!

mellon
16th April 2005, 02:05 AM
It's evident you're feeling insecure. Don't worry 2000 year old Mahavatar Babaji will bless Dr.you-know-who!
:lol:

Which part is MX in this post, Mr. perfectu????

Huh??? :

Not even few minutes, u started digressing, just like any cheap hypocritical KH fan in the whole freaking forum. :notworthy:

NERUPPU
16th April 2005, 02:21 AM
mellon
u dint answer the question: if Baba blacksheep was not a financial loss why would rajini compensate the distributors?:)

kbee
16th April 2005, 08:41 AM
Any word on the Hindi Audio of Mumbai Xpress? Is it out for listening, or for downloads? Plz provide links thanks!

CD released.

http://dvdunlimitedonline.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2404

Music4Ever
16th April 2005, 09:48 PM
Had a chance to listen to Ele nee etti-po. At the point where kamal says "rootu", it reminds suspiciously of an old IR song. Can't recall that old song though. All I can say is that IR has seen dizzying heights, which, this album is not going to take him to.

teja
16th April 2005, 11:18 PM
Mumbai Xpress (Hindi)

Classic comedy. :thumbsup:
Breezy entertainer on Hindi screen in a long time.
No cheap attempts to play it to the gallery.
Vijay Raaz (?), Om Puri, Sourabh Shukla, Ramesh Aravind and most of the supporting cast is brilliant.
KH is in his usual self. Manisha looks good.
Besides 5-10 minutes in second half, there are no boring moments.
There's only one song (Pyar Chahiye) and even that's chopped into half. IR's music is used mostly as BGM - it adds a class touch to the film.

What a laugh riot! :rotfl:

false
17th April 2005, 01:38 AM
Was highly disappointed in the MumbaiXpress audio.Usually IR-Kamal combo makes some really good albums, but in this case one song was good "poo poothathu" and the first track is listenable for awhile but then its too repetitive and i lose interest.Hopefully the songs work for the movie cause it sure isn't working for me as a listener.

kumarsr
17th April 2005, 08:34 AM
Another review of Mumbai Xpress (Hindi)

http://web.mid-day.com/hitlist/2005/april/107572.htm

Gives a decent rating for the film

rooky
17th April 2005, 11:36 AM
Mumbai express is getting good positive reviews from up north as well in Telugu.This is because,the Rajni-kamal bias is not there.

In Tamil though,reviews which say ME good term CM as bad and vice versa.

The indiatimes(bangalore edition) has given 3 stars(Good) to ME and 2 Stars(Average) to CM.It says "Rajnikanth was in wrong film at a wrong time".

To answer mellon regarding VRMBBS and Virumandi, do check the archives of sify.com which says that these two movies had the highest ever collections at sathyam and thats the reason for this biggest theatre in Chennai to screen ME and not sachin or CM.

Anyway,Kamal hasan is the king in Chennai and Coimbatore if not for the smaller towns of tamilnadu.

irir123
17th April 2005, 04:53 PM
Review of Mumbai Xpress (Tamil Version)

Kamal Hassan proves his mettle as a creative, constantly striving artiste par excellence, yet again!

Take and mix a bit of the essential ingredients of classics of Buster Keaton, Peter Sellers and Steve Martin - Indianise them by using a strong screenplay as a base
cook it in a humor 'microwave' and spray it with a nice tangy flavor of native accents and colloquial phrases a.k.a. one liners, embellish it with a (music) score that mocks and laughs at the performers on
the screen(!) - and that should tickle you, besides the movie itself!!- and you have a classic - MUMBAI XPRESS

After reading the array of mixed reviews, yours truely watched the movie without an inkling of a bias, but with oodles of anticipation based on the confidence that Padma Shri Kamal Hassan has nurtured in people like me
over the years - it was a different experience - but be warned, this is no MMKR, no PANCHATANTIRAM, no Thenali - in fact, the slapstick elements are so inconspicously inserted that you wouldn't notice that they are slapstick
after all!

A story of a kidnap gone awry could have gone wrong in 'n' number of ways - but a cleverly scripted screenplay takes care of it

James Bond says to the new Q in one of the recent 007 flicks "You are cleverer than you look" for which Q replies "it is still better than looking cleverer than you actually are" !

Much of the 'mishy mashy' Indian filmy comedies belong to the latter category - the entire feel and auro of MX (and most movies of Kamal for that matter) makes you think that it is "cleverer than it looks"

Therein lies the intelligence of the humor in the movie, an intelligence that does not test and exasperate the commoner, yet shows itself as intelligence nevertheless

Kamal has a penchant for discovering and nurturing audaciously talented people in the film industry, the way one Mr.Imran Khan used to do for Pakistan cricket in the 1980s (the analogy is apt considering the fact, both are Scorpions - Zodiac signwise and have a way with their peers and constantly, consistently prove(d) themselves

Atul Kulkarni was picked up from Marathi theatre/Indian National School of Drama - his performance in HEY RAM made history and opened up new vistas for him;

'Vikram' Dharma was yet another so-so stuntman, until Kamal set his eyes on him and gave him a new lease of life;

likewise, Pasupathy is yet another amazing talent - his performance in MX on several occasions, far outsmarts Kamal's - but then Kamal has deliberately underplayed his role as Avinashi;

this underplaying of each character is yet another strength of the movie, which gives the movie its much deliciously enjoyable 'poker-faced' feel - every character in the movie, on most occasions delivers the dialogue in such deadpan fashion with a poker face, and yet make you laugh!

Buster Keaton was a poker faced actor used to delivering dialogues in deadpan fashion and send the audiences roaring in laughter!

A classic example is that of Sarat Saxena with a 'please-no-expressions' face, asks Mumbai Express (Avinashi) to go after speaking to Nassar over the phone - you know what is coming, and you start laughing in anticipation, even before
he even starts speaking to Avinashi!

The soundtrack - being a veteran IR music afficianado/ connoisseur, I cannot but gasp at this man's unexhaustible bag of tricks! The audio MP3s of the movie have by themselves given a feel for the movie and after watching the movie, let me assure one and all, lock, stock and several barrels, anyone other than IR for the movie, it would have been an actual "Kurangu kaiyyil malai" experience - the intelligence with which the tracks have been used to gel with the storyline and script is something upcoming film music composers ought to learn from!

So where does the movie 'appear not as clever as it seems' then ?! the romance angle between Avinashi and Ahalya seems to have been a rushjob infused into the storyline as a last-minute decision, but be aassured, you don't notice its oddity in the bigger melee of fun and laughter -
it can be pardoned - why even recent big Hollywood comedy flicks like 'Shallow Hal' or "Just Married' are 80% odd and 20% plausible!

Where does Kamal go from here ? he has made his national presence felt with a top-notch work - by all means, the cash register should be ringing loud and clear - it has been declared a wholesome family entertainer even in inaccesible Ahmedabad and Kanpur - the success of this movie should spur Kamal's single-minded obsession with
his dreamwork 'Marudhanayakam' towards giving it a shape, and making it into a possible venture seeing the light of day - his calculated and cautious hurry into announcing 'Vetayadu Velayadu', a cop thriller, is to my guess, another trilingual in the making! You can all guess what he is upto !

kbee
17th April 2005, 05:55 PM
anyone other than IR for the movie, it would have been an actual "Kurangu kaiyyil malai" experience
It is funnier than the movie. I really laughed while reading this (and I was brusing so.....)

Where does Kamal go from here ? he has made his national presence felt with a top-notch work - by all means, the cash register should be ringing loud and clear - it has been declared a wholesome family entertainer even in inaccesible Ahmedabad and Kanpur - the success of this movie should spur Kamal's single-minded obsession with
his dreamwork 'Marudhanayakam' towards giving it a shape, and making it into a possible venture seeing the light of day - his calculated and cautious hurry into announcing 'Vetayadu Velayadu', a cop thriller, is to my guess, another trilingual in the making! You can all guess what he is upto !

I mentioned this in another CM related thread. Rajini's next movie will be with Raaj Kamal. This is a two purposes thing. Rajini badly needed a good role and I am sure Kamal will give that. Kamal badly need the money to take "Marudhanayagam" and he will get that from Rajini acting in RK production. So...

BTW, I saw CM also, and like may reviewer says its not bad at all. Infact it is a good movie, but not a rajini movie. Will post the review in CM forum!

alwarpet_andavan
18th April 2005, 09:33 AM
3. There is no BGM for first 40 minutes.
Are you kidding? Please consult your ENT specialist :)

alwarpet_andavan

alwarpet_andavan
18th April 2005, 09:35 AM
Rajini's next movie will be with Raaj Kamal.
Rajni's next movie is likely to be with "editor" Mohan

alwarpet_andavan

kbee
18th April 2005, 10:29 AM
3. There is no BGM for first 40 minutes.
Are you kidding? Please consult your ENT specialist :)

alwarpet_andavan

Instead of going to ENT, I decided to go to MX again. I enjoyed every bit of this movie, much more than 1st time. BGM was infact started from the first frame, but the BGM that comes when Kamal decided to climb on the crane overpowered everything else. Great job by "my Raja".

Regarding Rajini's next movie, I care the less, but whats funny is to see Rajini going behind the remake movie now a days to make sure that he gets a hit. Anyway, its his personal choice.

Again back to MX, having seen the movie 2nd time in 3 days, I can bet that this will be one of Kamals classic movie category. I can confirm that once the DVD (if released) is released. So far the best selling DVDs are KH dvds and in particular the order is

1. Anbe Sivam
2. Pancha Thanthiram
3. MMKR
4. Virumandi
5. PKS
6. Sathi Leelavathi
7. Thenali
8. Vasool Raja

Now, MX will join this list and will be in the top 5.

alwarpet_andavan
18th April 2005, 10:55 AM
Kbee,
lol :)
You know what, if you close your eyes and just listen to the "crane-scene" BGM, you can see the scene in front of your eyes. Sheer IR magic!
And BTW, any idea where you can get those VCDs (not DVDs) mentioned in your list in Chennai?

alwarpet_andavan

irir123
18th April 2005, 10:59 AM
the only sore point in MX as far as Kamal's performance is concerned, is his voice !

surprised ?! - if you have all noticed, Kamal gives lots of emphasis on voice modulations to match his facial expressions and body language

in this movie, Kamal's voice sounds jaded/expressionless, even though he looks acceptably young enough! most of scenes, his voice sounds like as if he woke up and started speaking immediately - that kind of a hoarse effect

Cinefan
18th April 2005, 11:18 AM
Kamalhasan promised wholesome entertainment|&he has delivered.Here is a movie that marks a new style of comedy in Tamil cinema,without violence or vulgarity.MX starts off as a picaresque(what does it mean?)caper-a clumsy trio of would-be kidnappers come up with a plot,but have to rope in Avinashi(Kamalhasan),aka Mumbai Xpress,a motobiker who shows off his skills in a well of death,when one of the group goes down with appendicitis or appendisoceity-or-something-like-that,as his wife puts it.
Avinashi,hard of hearing|&totallyinnocent,puts more than a few spokes in the wheel,but pulls it off well.He then forges a bond with his captive,a chubby,smart,sensitive 10 year old&hismother Ahalya(Manisha).Eventually,it's a case of all's well that ends well,but not before a whole lot of mix up's&mistaken identities that keep you laughing all the way.The screenplay by Kamal himself,is a neat piece of work,peppered with funny lines&even funnier moments.
The performences are all controlled|&contribute in equal measure-whether Vaiyapuri who frequently mixes up code names,Ramesh Arvind as the insistent insurance agent who's drawn willy-nilly into the gang,or Paupathi,the leader on a short fuse.
Kamal proves again that he's in a class of his own,that he wants to set a different course for Tamil cinema,which has for long been hurtling down to mediocrity,helped along by huge budget ventures&hyped stars.
Which is why it's such a happy trip on Mumbai Xpress.

Rating -3 stars(Good).

BTW,the same reviewer has done for CM giving it 2 stars&telling "Rajni has made an error of judgement in choosing this film;for the ageing superstar,it'a a case of wrong time,wrong place."

I saw MX with family on saturday&allof us had a nice time.There have been a lot of reviews,so I don't think it neccessary to do one more myself.

Cinefan
18th April 2005, 11:33 AM
Digression:
Gautham Menon on'Vettaiyadu.............'.Doesn't sound like 'Copland'.

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/14kamal.htm

alwarpet_andavan
18th April 2005, 12:15 PM
iriri123,
I'm not sure about his voice, but given his exceptionally high standards of rendering different accents, he could've done better with his Thirunelveli accent.

alwarpet_andavan

Cinefan
18th April 2005, 12:48 PM
iriri123,
I'm not sure about his voice, but given his exceptionally high standards of rendering different accents, he could've done better with his Thirunelveli accent.

alwarpet_andavan

I also felt the same thing.In the teaser trailor he released in November on the eve of the start of the film,his accent was spot on. He seems to have diluted that in the movie,wonder why :?

thumburu
18th April 2005, 04:49 PM
That was one great heck of a review by irir123.
Well Done, irir123. Keep it up. :D

Cinefan
18th April 2005, 04:53 PM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/apr/18kamal.htm

Part 2 of Kamal's interview to Rediff.

rooky
18th April 2005, 04:53 PM
ME cassettes are available at all Music world outlets and planetM outlets in bangalore.You can also get it from Landmark,Forum mall.

vatsa400
18th April 2005, 09:15 PM
Mumbai Express Review:

Plus Points:

Story and Screenplay:

The story is apt and the screenplay is neat, its layered properly without providing explanation (unlike typical tamil films where the smart ass director thinks the audience are dumb and explains things which sound childish). This is one of the plus points of the movie.

Actors:

The movie is a new kind as I said before with everyone acting seriously and without doing comical gestures. New concept for many the movie may seem void of acting. Many have lived up to the expectations (atleast mine). Manisha could have done better.

Minuses:

1. Cinematography - Not sure about the Digital stuff. It does not look great, with shakes, grains and digital zoom (seems like he used my camcorder for the whole movie)

2. Censor!!! - I didnt see Vande matram stretched instead some other song when I was watched here (in London). It was some devotional song recorded done in a hurry. Is it only here or is it even in India?

Also, climax could have been longer thant it is... dunno whether there were cuts there. The title song cut could have added to the narration and end bit also had some title song stuff in it. If there are cuts, Kamal should fight it out and get it into the movie. Seems like it makes logical sense. The song is something like Katha Kelu of MMKR (I guess).

3. Kamal??? - Some of the songs had interlude cuts, like all stanzas sung together without any interludes and no flow especially poo poothathu(censort cuts or kamal cut??) looked sloppy. Is it only here or is it even in India? Kamal could have done the normal way of cutting a full stanza than doing this, if he found the movie or the song was lengthy.

Neither plus or a minus:

1. Music - Some places its good but not great. Other MDs would have made it sound bad. Because of IR it sounds decent. Probably, IR played it down, because it is a different type of comedy. Still, I think IR could have done better.

2. Dialogues - There could have been some improvement in the dialogues. Kamal as a comedy writer could have done better. Given this is his first(??) attempt in writing dialogues for a comedy, its good. He did a good job not making it feel like Kaadhala Kaadhala . I think Crazy Mohan could have done a better job.

3. Direction - Handled aptly for most part. Could have done something about the minuses as these were slightly apparent?

I think these thee if it had been in pluses with very few minuses could have made this movie a classic.

Encouraging stuff is that, Kamal and IR set an example for a new level though not provided a perfect example. This movie will not be a mega hit and will be a decent hit. I hope they come together and make a movie of this type again and perfect the technique. Movie of this type (not same quality) will entertain us better than Madura and Thirupachis (which I heard were hits)

Vatsa

rajasaranam
18th April 2005, 09:59 PM
hi vatsa,

LOng Time no see where were you :)

vatsa400
18th April 2005, 10:23 PM
Good sir. I am very much here and am a silent hubber.

mellon
18th April 2005, 10:44 PM
Silent hubber, until u "speak" :lol:

Not any more :)

Anybody reads Webulagam? There is a reivew on MX, came out yesterday! JFYKI 8)