PDA

View Full Version : IR's New albums - Ver 2007

Pages : 1 [2] 3

raajarasigan
7th August 2007, 09:09 AM
raja_fan,

in Behindwoods, it was saying that Yogi will be directed by Subramaniyam Siva (Sorry not Bhupathi pandiyan)

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/aug-07-01/01-08-07-ameer.html

but in Indiaglitz, "Ameer and Bharathiraja are joining for a movie titled Yogi"

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/32569.html

even sites are in dilemma...

not sure, which is true...

but I strongly believe BR-Amir is untitled till now...

kameshratnam
7th August 2007, 10:16 AM
what happened to the audio of inime naangathan

rooky
7th August 2007, 01:11 PM
AFAIK, Yogi will have ameer as hero,directed by subramanya siva and music by yuvan.No BR or IR there.

Sanjeevi
8th August 2007, 11:26 AM
Indian National Film Awards for 2005

http://pib.nic.in/archieve/others/2007/aug07/53rd_nfa-2005.pdf

Bester Music Director is "Lalgudi Jeyaraman" for movie "Sringaram". :roll:

Anyone heard???

raja_fan
8th August 2007, 11:53 AM
Digression :

Problem in IR's family !

Yuvan and his wife have applied for divorce ! ( Source : Sun TV news ).

Kaadhal kasakkudhaiyyaa...:)

app_engine
8th August 2007, 05:54 PM

Anyone heard???

We only read about it & not heard:-) IR released the album...

One good thing is NA returning to the old tradition of awarding semi-classical kind of music...it used to be that way for many years (probably one of the reasons why MSV didn't get one as he didn't have what can be called a full-fledged semi-classical score for a single movie in his heydeys)...that trend was changed when Roja got the award...which was based more on popularity of music than the ICM part...

Digression - IMO, Amitabh didn't deserve award / praise for black...his was the only horrible performance in an otherwise memorable movie...

Sanjeevi
8th August 2007, 06:40 PM

Anyone heard???

One good thing is NA returning to the old tradition of awarding semi-classical kind of music...it used to be that way for many years (probably one of the reasons why MSV didn't get one as he didn't have what can be called a full-fledged semi-classical score for a single movie in his heydeys)...that trend was changed when Roja got the award...which was based more on popularity of music than the ICM part...

Digression - IMO, Amitabh didn't deserve award / praise for black...his was the only horrible performance in an otherwise memorable movie...

Oh I C.

Eppadiyo Ilaiyaraja connection vanthuruchu :)

kameshratnam
9th August 2007, 11:20 AM
oru simple album Inime naangathan..adu chennaila kedaikala.. so sad and very bad

Sanjeevi
9th August 2007, 11:52 AM
oru simple album Inime naangathan..adu chennaila kedaikala.. so sad and very bad

I think we should contact the producer :lol:

kameshratnam
9th August 2007, 06:05 PM
The audio company is best audio

app_engine
10th August 2007, 12:07 AM
New singer for 'pazhassi rAjA':
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEO20070808225736&Page=O&Title=Thiruvananthapuram&Topic=0

Sanjeevi
10th August 2007, 10:51 AM
The audio company is best audio

not best, its worst

kameshratnam
10th August 2007, 11:45 AM
Yes it is worst..there is no other go..stupid people around IR..they dont have pulled him down and now they have started to dig the grave

Cinefan
10th August 2007, 06:33 PM

Anyone heard???

Agree to some extent.I felt his was a pathetic performance in an equally pathetic movie-over melodramatic,unrealistic cinematography spurred by unrealistic,fake ambience.

Still don't understand why everyone went ga-ga over it.BAd movie,didn't work at all with me-Period.

rajabhakta
11th August 2007, 12:38 AM
Inimey Naangathan audio released today and is available in shops.4 songs in this movie.

Sanjeevi
11th August 2007, 09:14 AM
Inimey Naangathan audio released today and is available in shops.4 songs in this movie.

Thanks, i will check :)

kameshratnam
11th August 2007, 01:59 PM
www.raaga.com

One song = 12 INR

njv
11th August 2007, 05:50 PM
Digression :

Problem in IR's family !

Yuvan and his wife have applied for divorce ! ( Source : Sun TV news ).

Kaadhal kasakkudhaiyyaa...:)

raja_fan
11th August 2007, 10:22 PM
Digression again !

But couldn't stop myself from posting this :)

Today in Ennodu paatu paadungal by SPB,

SPB comments on "Rakkamma Kaiya thattu.." -

"Enna oru paattu ! Indha paattai india-la copy adikkaadha idame illai. Bombay-la oru MD (paer solla virumbalai ). Avan enkitte solraan 'What a music ! naan viralai sodukkum podhu indha tune vandhudhu..'. Naan nenaichikitten, ada ppaavi paiyaa.., enga paiyyan potta paattu, paadina enkittaiye un tune-nu solriye.."

Then the guest ( violinist from IR's troupe ) recollected the recording experience of "sundari kannaal" in Bombay and the standing ovation given to IR by north indian musicians etc.

When another guy sang "nalam vaazha.." , SPB was moved. His words were "Enakku kannil irundhu thanni varudhu. Yen nanbanai patthi solli salaikka villai. Evvalavo episode aanaalum solli konde irukkalaam. Revathi came to this recording and she cried after hearing the song. I told her to blame that paiyyan (IR) for all this".

Yesterday it was S.Ve.Shekhar's turn in Vijay Tv's Kalakka Povadhu Yaaru. Two guys put up a skit on the tale of love between two dinasaurs. With some film songs in the back ground. At the end of that, S.Ve.S's comment was "Indha love-kkum Ilaiyaraaja thaan kural kodukkiraar" :)

No other MD gets such a number of references on him on all the channels. Raja, we are proud of you ! :notworthy:

baroque
12th August 2007, 03:13 AM
I read the article while listening to 'aathadi kaathada...', very emotional!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQiEhx9dGjM

I miss you Raaja! :(

love you raaja! vinatha.

Hulkster
12th August 2007, 08:03 AM
Inimey Naangathaan songs are rocking..except for keerthanai Aarambathiley which is a amalgalm of previous IR hit numbers in a humourous fashion(it comes in a narrative situation). The rest are fresh.

Listen to oru murai kettaley especially the ending part and the ludes and the arabian base in Vazhu venduma vaa vaa... :D

raja_fan
12th August 2007, 09:30 AM
IN songs are good.

The starting rythm shifts of "Vazhvu vendumaa" is very nice to hear. Oru murai kettale is also rocking except the unnecessary extensions of the song towards the end..

Hope the producers don't do the mistake of that of "My dear kuttichatthaan" by keeping the songs away from TV ( ofcourse there was only one channel that time and they were broadcasted when the film was showing, but after that we couldn't see them on TV ).

RR
12th August 2007, 11:29 AM
Guys,

We have a separate thread for 'Inime Naanga thaan':

http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewlite.php?t=8249

Help to keep all related discussions in one place.

raja_fan
12th August 2007, 01:21 PM
RR,

This thread "IR's new Albums" is the thread to discuss any new album of IR.

If we are going to have a separate thread for every new album of IR, then it would be against the purpose of keeping all related discussion at one place :)

njv
12th August 2007, 03:22 PM
I read the article while listening to 'aathadi kaathada...', very emotional!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQiEhx9dGjM

I miss you Raaja! :(

love you raaja! vinatha.

Is the link correct? Its going to Nilavondru kanden song. I was hoping that the link would be the article you listen to.

Sanjeevi
12th August 2007, 06:24 PM
RR,

If we are going to have a separate thread for every new album of IR, then it would be against the purpose of keeping all related discussion at one place :)

I think instread integrating all the post in one thread, spiliting with album title is better. Because it will be more helpful for new comers and even us when we want to see/search previous/yesteryear posts.

Sanjeevi
12th August 2007, 06:29 PM
<digression>
There is one friendship song like "Nanbanae" of sattam, "Mustafa" of Kadhal Desam. Sivakumar and Sivachandran had acted as friends. Can anybody tell the starting line of this song.
</digression>

ezy0265
12th August 2007, 07:46 PM
Sanjeevi,

I think you are referring to "Naan Oru Koil, Nee Oru Theivam Unnai Thedi Naan Vanthen". Music not by IR, i guess it is by Shankar Ganesh. It was a big hit those days. Was the title Nellikani?

Sanjeevi
12th August 2007, 08:13 PM
Sanjeevi,

I think you are referring to "Naan Oru Koil, Nee Oru Theivam Unnai Thedi Naan Vanthen". Music not by IR, i guess it is by Shankar Ganesh. It was a big hit those days. Was the title Nellikani?

i think its the same song but still i can't rememer the tune. Is it the same song in which Sivakumar & Sivachandran riding with horse?

RR
12th August 2007, 09:09 PM
RR,

raja_fan,
Why not we have one master thread to discuss TFM so that everything related can be in one place? :)

You see my point, don't you? We have a full forum for IR and let's make best use of it to reach out to all. Well.. I'm just proposing an idea.

raja_fan
12th August 2007, 09:40 PM
RR,

Well ! I am not the person who started talking about "having everything related at one place" :)

Since it seems you have not taken my comment in the right way, I leave it to your common sense to judge whether your idea of having separate thread for each and every album supports or contradicts your own idea of having everything related at one place..

Having a master thread and discussing everything under it - well, kudharkkamaana pechukku naan bathil pesa virumba villai..

baroque
12th August 2007, 09:56 PM
NJV, adhu 'nilavondru kanden...' link dhaan!
I was listening to 80s raaja pattus while reading the previous posting- article by raja_fan, felt emotional so posted the nilavondru kanden... link and missed you, raaja nnu :)
vinatha.

raja_fan
13th August 2007, 08:29 AM
baroque,

Nandri :)

Happy to know that I could kindle some body's nostalgia and feelings for IR.

Also thanks for calling my post an "article" :)

RR
13th August 2007, 09:01 AM
raja_fan,

Easy.. Didn't mean to raise an argument. My only intention is to advance this forum to the next generation now that we are getting a lot of traffic and discussions. I see that almost every other forum has evolved naturally to the one-thread-per-movie style and discussions flowing under each thread - if you had noticed. Probably only in IR forum we have good discussions on an album for a few days that soon gets pushed to old responses and mostly forgotten thereafter. So proposed the idea. Need your support to streamline the forum.

baroque
13th August 2007, 10:57 AM
[tscii:df0b919bc7]raja_fan,

Raaja sure knows how to woo his woman!
Glad I am a girl(lady)!! :D

http://ww.smashits.com/player/flash/flashplayer.cfm?SongIds=24497

- That’s my man, yennoda aasai raasa brings out 16 yrs old in me! Appadiye naan miss pannuven raajava, urugi poyee!
loving it :)
good night, vinatha.
[/tscii:df0b919bc7]

raja_fan
13th August 2007, 01:50 PM
RR,

I understand your good intention, though I disagree on having a separate thread for each album, as it will crowd the forum with topics.
Anyways, it is up to the admin to decide anything on that.

rajasaranam
13th August 2007, 02:02 PM
Get Inimae naangathan here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PWND46WM

NagaS
15th August 2007, 12:31 AM
Raja has (re)used his classic 'aalolam paadi asainthaadum poove' (aavaarampoo) in his next malayalam movie SMS (Source: vaNNaththirai)

Hmm, thitta aarambinga ;)

NagaS

Sanjeevi
17th August 2007, 11:27 AM
News on Naan Kadavul

This film will have a song which already included in "Guru Ramana Geetham" album. I mean begger song. Anybody can remember this song and how is it?

BTW do we start a separate thread for Naan Kadavul? :wink:

app_engine
17th August 2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-08-22/pg5.php

I think the new thread can be opened once the album gets released:-) (Looks like it'll take years for this movie to reach any shape...more vambu than actual work, it looks like...)

K
18th August 2007, 05:08 PM
News on Naan Kadavul

This film will have a song which already included in "Guru Ramana Geetham" album. I mean begger song. Anybody can remember this song and how is it?

BTW do we start a separate thread for Naan Kadavul? :wink:

from Ramana Maalai-Bitchai Pathiram yendhi vandhen

rooky
21st August 2007, 10:58 AM
It is reported in bangalore Mirror today that Ir has agreed to score music for the biggest ever kannada project to be launched this month with Arjun and Jeyapradha playing leads.The title mentioned was "Sangoli ravanna", a historical project.

raja_fan
21st August 2007, 09:45 PM
Rooky,

It is Sangoli Rayanna, not Ravanna :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangolli_Rayanna

He is very much like "Pazhassi Raja" of Kerala. A chief who waged guerilla warfare against the British.

krish244
25th August 2007, 11:21 PM
Inimey Naangadhan audio review in Rediff:

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/aug/24sssine.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

rajabhakta
26th August 2007, 02:25 PM
I think there is something going on personal between P.Vasu and Raja which is why they are not working together.Vasu is doing a telugu movie with vishnu(mohan babus son) and nagarjuna and mohanbabu is the producer.Mohan babu is personally very close to Raja and Vasu-Rajas combo is known to all of us thus giving us every reason to expect Rajas music for this movie.But unfortunately it is Keeravani.While speaking to the press Vasu said these words "I thank mohanbabu for giving me good technicians.I especially require a good music director.I have keeravani as m.d whom i like a lot like how i like ilaiyaraja".Does this mean that chances of Rajas music for kamal-Vasus movie are slim?

Sanjeevi
26th August 2007, 02:40 PM
Mohan babu is personally very close to Raja

Is it?

rooky
26th August 2007, 10:40 PM
[tscii:4970314918]
I think there is something going on personal between P.Vasu and Raja which is why they are not working together.Vasu is doing a telugu movie with vishnu(mohan babus son) and nagarjuna and mohanbabu is the producer.Mohan babu is personally very close to Raja and Vasu-Rajas combo is known to all of us thus giving us every reason to expect Rajas music for this movie.But unfortunately it is Keeravani.While speaking to the press Vasu said these words "I thank mohanbabu for giving me good technicians.I especially require a good music director.I have keeravani as m.d whom i like a lot like how i like ilaiyaraja".Does this mean that chances of Rajas music for kamal-Vasus movie are slim?

I am not sure about your intention here.
Check out the following link:
http://www.idlebrain.com/news/functions/muhurat-vishnu-pvasu.html

"Director P Vasu said, “I knew Mohan Babu right from the days I was studying in school. He always used to ask me to direct his films. Now the combination worked out. Mohan Babu encourages talented people irrespective of their current box office value. I saw Dhee film recently. He has got terrific comedy timing. He is a wonderful actor. MM Keeravani is the one who I like the most after Ilayaraja in music department. I worked with all big heroes in Tamil. I recently worked with Bala Krishna. I am working with Nagarjuna and Vishnu now. Nagarjuna has good judgment on story. This film has family drama with comedy touch. It offers something for everybody.”

There is a huge difference from what is said in the link to what is posted by you :)
[/tscii:4970314918]

rajabhakta
26th August 2007, 11:40 PM
sanjeevi,
yes they are friends.Raja had done three movies for his banner so far.Raja attended his daughters wedding also.Raja and he participated in a small rally along with a swamijiin 2004.And also during his brief stay in Hyderabad in January he visited Mohan Babu despite his tight schedule.Yuvan did a movie for his second son recently.

rooky,
what i wanted to say was that if Vasu wanted to have Rajas music for this picture and if there was no personal tiff between him and Raja,Raja would have definitely said yes.

rajaalltheway
28th August 2007, 03:12 PM
I heard this movie was offered to YSR who couldnt accept coz of other commitments(some big deal with Sony being recorded at Pinewood studios,London).Vishnu and YSR and friends from school days.

Sanjeevi
31st August 2007, 05:17 PM
http://indolink.com/tamil/cinema/Specials/98/August/Raja1_2.htm

crvenky
2nd September 2007, 01:21 PM
I heard that Sunny (Mal) audio has been released. Any body heard the songs?

Hulkster
2nd September 2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.ragalahari.com/newreleasesdetail.asp?newmvname=Sunny

Sunny songs are here..enjoy

Hulkster
2nd September 2007, 04:31 PM
Ningilo Neelima is a belter with some bewildering guitar usage in the first interlude...most of the songs have programmed backgrounds...and i particularly liked the percussion orchestration in nee bandababa with the exception of its crude tune.

Add pranama naa pranama to the belter list...the pathos feel is innovative even though IR's style of singing is quite similar :D

BTW ninu kori is surely a old tamil song by IR..anyone has any idea what it is? :?

inetk
2nd September 2007, 05:17 PM
100!
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2007/09/02/sunny-telugu-ilayaraja/

rajabhakta
4th September 2007, 02:32 AM
I felt ninnu kori resembled faintly malare thendral pesum ganamidu from Veetla viseshanga.Upon repeated hearings everybody would fall in love with these songs.They are all good.Nee bandabada song was an obligatory from the hero(producer).His earlier movie Abhi had a hard core mass number which was a huge hit and was the only recognition he got for the movie and hence they wanted to have a similar number.But it is still sounding good.

raja_fan
4th September 2007, 12:53 PM
Ajanta Not released..
Inime Nanga Thaan Not released..
Dhanam Not released..
Naan Kadavul not completed..
BR's Kutra Paramparai on hold..

Nallaa vandhu vaaikkaraangapaa IR-kku :banghead:

inetk
4th September 2007, 01:18 PM
raja_fan: But, for all that, he got a solid Cheeni Kum, that was not only promoted well, but also got him some long overdue visibility across the country.

kiru
5th September 2007, 05:57 AM
inetk is right neengil neelima is the best of the lot..fantastic bass line on the anupallavi (not quoting his 100 words, so as not to affect traffic to his blog site :-)).
The rest of the songs are okay..lots of recycling..but not as bad as inetk makes it out to be (this is where I disagree). If Srikanth Deva can do songs like nee bandabada then he must be better than I thought :-) Seriously IR has done hundreds of songs like before..only problem is, if you can do ONLY these sort of songs..

MumbaiRamki
6th September 2007, 01:02 PM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14522483

Three movies by Duet Movies & Moser baser

One by Raaja
One by VS
One by GV

Sanjeevi
6th September 2007, 01:13 PM
aiyyo ayyooo again news faces :banghead:

raja_fan
6th September 2007, 02:16 PM
Sanjeevi,

Same here :(

I saw the news in Bangalore Times..

The first two sounds more promising in cast than Mayilu. Surely VS will make use and produce another Mozhi..

Adhu thaan eppavum solraen..When it comes to IR, it will always be a high risk project ! End result is going unnoticed :(

MrJudge
6th September 2007, 05:15 PM
Though I agree that IR's movies are with new faces nowadays and getting delayed/postponed for unknown reasons, his songs are still hollow with synth stuff. If only he gets out of doing this himalayan mistake, his songs will be big hits even with these outside factors. Just image 'ulagile azhagi nee thaan' with acoustic drums and violins! I think NK will be different from his new albums and good in recording and mixing point of view.

raja_fan
7th September 2007, 07:52 AM
Mayilu is the story which IR recommended to Prakash Raj to make a movie.

Seems like Prakash Raj would have asked IR to inform him of any new and good script that IR comes across..

But still it would have been great if some body like Radha Mohan ( dir of Mozhi ) works with IR.

though we cannot under estimate this new guy Jeevan.., the past experiences of IR with new guys discourage us :)

crvenky
10th September 2007, 12:39 PM
http://newstodaynet.com/talkies/0909tt5.htm

After a brief interval, music director Ilayaraja is back in the business. He has come up with half-a-dozen tunes for an all newcomer-starrer Kangalum Kavipaduthey. Directed by Chandarnath, the movie stars Rajith, Akash and Charan in lead roles. Chandranath, who worked as associate to P Vasu for several films, says, 'I was impressed with Ilayaraja's tunes. He is a genius. All the songs were composed in just a couple of hours.
Vishali Kannadasan, daughter of veteran lyricist Kannadasan, has penned a song in Kangalum Kavipaduthey. 'It is a youthful, musical entertainer. All the songs have come out really well. I am happy to have worked with Ilayaraja', says Chandranath.

netfriend4u2005
11th September 2007, 03:47 AM
Hello, The reason is after the film is hit or miss, some of the new ones never acknowledge IR later hence he might be bit relaxed in treating some new directors. Also IR can know how much effort a new director giving for a movie even if he is new or old without expecting much post acknowledgements.

Sanjeevi
13th September 2007, 11:36 AM
Superb article in parts
yet another film for Raja
ethani thadava than itha mathiri ketkurathu :banghead:
hmmm parkalam

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/illayaraaja-strikes-again-070912.html

raja_fan
13th September 2007, 02:56 PM
Ippadi usuppethi usuppethiye...

netfriend4u2005
13th September 2007, 05:49 PM
Kanuu pada pohudu ayya....

rajaalltheway
13th September 2007, 10:16 PM
anyone heard songs from telugu film SUNNY..

rooky
16th September 2007, 12:56 PM
Saw the prakash raj's press meet in Raj TV today about his new movies.He was telling that all three movies would be released in six to seven months time.

Regarding "Mayilu", he was saying that Jeevan was a great talent and that he had met him when Jeevan was a still photographer with Maniratnam.He said this story is a village subject and that he was very impressed with the story.He added that Ilayaraja is scoring the music for the movie and that the songs have come out very well :)

rajasaranam
18th September 2007, 07:43 PM
When The remake of Pithamagan in kannada was announced i was happy that IR is going to compose and thought of getting some variations of his haunting scores. Incidentally the movie titled 'Anatharu' is released but the composer's name is 'Sadhu kokila' who is also the director of the movie. He has shamelessly ripped off the tracks from Pithamagan and released it under his own name :(
Listen to believe how shameless people can get
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/kannada/s/movie_name.9310/

same thing happened two or three years back when Swathimuthyam/sippikkul muthu was remade. every single song was lifted and released under some one else's name.
I also listen to the songs 'Ennai thaalaatta varuvalo' and 'Rakkamma kaiyaa thattu' etc., here in bangalore often but the composer's names are different. Atleast there should be some credit given to the original composers DO they do it is a big question :?:

rooky
19th September 2007, 10:12 PM
The much talked about rumor on Kamal-Rajini-MR movie is growing bigger and bigger.

We are seeing some more sites writing about this in the last few days.

One fan who is an active member in Rajini forum had recently informed fellow hubbers that this is infact true.But his mail said, "Rajkamal and Kavithalaya would jointly produce Rajini's next movie.The director and other technicians would be finalised soon and official announcement would be made in next few weeks time".

So, If this news is true that Kamal is Producing the movie and MR is not the director, Would Raja score Music for the movie?

Also, kamal's recent interviews point to Launching Marudhanayagam very soon.Looks like Kamal is indeed taking all efforts to launching his dream project all over again.If this happens, it would definitely be a treat to all IR fans .

If anyone has more insights into the developments,please share.

app_engine
20th September 2007, 02:59 AM
In the near future, I don't see a Rajini movie with IR scoring...(even if it involves Kamal...Kamal always has other options, like ARR, VS etc. even HR as in dasavatar).

raja_fan
20th September 2007, 08:13 AM
Yes ! There is really some thing credible going on for a Rajni - IR - MR combo . Not just rumours as far as the news coming in..

I see a strong possibility of IR being approached for this.

1. Rajni and Kamal always want IR as their first choice.

2. The film is by Raj Kamal ( not sure how much share Kavithalaya will have ). Raj Kamal productions means IR is the MD.
Kamal has not gone to any other MD for his own productions excepting NalaDamayanthi.

3. Maniratnam has recently expressed his desire to work with IR. If he is true to his words, this is the time he should approach IR.

If these three fellows approach ARR instead, then we can know their true colours.

But if they approach IR and IR turns down the chance, he will prove to be a loser and can continue to work with people who transport his genius to dust bin..

Shankar
20th September 2007, 01:45 PM
Rajni and Raja parted ways just before annamalai...I don't think they will ever work together (though you can find them together in thiruvaNNamalai :-) )

If it is co-produced with kavithalaya - Raja is definitely not the MD.

Mani might say N things in the media...eventually he will go to arr...The last time he expressed his desire to work with Raja was for Iruvar, and Raja turned him down. The loss was Raja's...not Mani's.

I can only see ARR scoring for this movie...The basic thing they need is some songs which will sell some record-breaking number, and this being a very high-profile product, the producers would only go to a person whose work sells...and when it comes to sales, no one other than arr commands so much pre-release booking. So, if this materializes, I'm sure the MD is going to be ARR.

raajarasigan
20th September 2007, 02:20 PM
[tscii:c62690aa7e]http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/sep-07-02/17-09-07-rajini-kamal.html

it seems ARR may score the music...

"Music is slated to be handled by none other than Mani's protégé, A.R.Rahman."

Did they approach IR first ? [/tscii:c62690aa7e]

raja_fan
20th September 2007, 07:36 PM
"The basic thing they need is some songs which will sell some record-breaking number, and this being a very high-profile product, the producers would only go to a person whose work sells...and when it comes to sales, no one other than arr commands so much pre-release booking. "

Pre-release booking ? I think you are talking about Shivaji.
I am sure Shivaji's record sales in the initial days was just due to the hype that was created. And that hype was created 75% because it is a Rajni's movie and remaining 25% due to Shankar and ARR.
Can you expect pre-release booking of such scale to any other ARR's album, say for example Jillunu.. ?

If you think that Mani or Kamal make movies just for sales and money ( note the words "just for" ), and also if you think IR cannot sell anymore, then why should they talk high about IR at all ( even after IR rejected Mani's Iruvar ) ? Even if they talk about IR, why should media ask Mani about IR ? Do you think the current media will ask about some one who does not sell or who has gone irrelevant ? :)

Kamal is not a guy who works just for money and audio sales. He still respects quality and if this upcoming film is under his banner, he will never fail to approach IR or try to convince Mani and IR.

So lets cross fingers and hope for the best :)

app_engine
20th September 2007, 09:16 PM
r_f, there are HC IR fans everywhere, including the media...so they'll keep asking MR / Kamal and everyone (why, even Gautam Menon, who never worked with IR) about their opinion on IR, how was it working with him, will they ever work again etc.

That does not mean he commands great saleability currently (may be his old albums sell more than his newer ones). OTOH, ARR brand is much stronger (though the cost also could be much greater, but then, who cares about cost nowadays). So, even for non-Rajini, non-Kamal, non-big star movies, ARR will sell more than IR in today's market. May be HJ / YSR also can sell as much as ARR (and greater than IR).

However, I agree that for Sivaji, we can't attribute the hype / sales much to Shankar / ARR, as even Chandramukhi with P Vasu / VS had a thumping success.

I don't think IR is in a frame of mind to score for a "typical" Rajini stuff that's being demanded today (even though there cannot be two opinions that he can score such numbers in a couple of hours in a car ride around Chennai whereas other competitors may need months / trips abroad etc).

He normally works hard to do something different for these big stars / banners, to showcase himself, something special...and I don't think the Rajini team is in a frame of mind to accept that...(interestingly, Panju was able to somehow convince both to work for Veera years ago, and one can see the difference in score from other Rajini movies post aNNAmalai)...

Personally I don't care about IR's commercial successes anymore...he had seen all that, longer than many...(though it doesn't hurt, as a great musician could be benefited monetarily)...but what I yearn for is some extraordinary score, filmy or otherwise...

entertainment
21st September 2007, 02:53 AM
Its quiet true that KH has great respect for IR obviously for his music. I have also observed that he does not want to lean to ARR. If I am right, few years ago, Hindu newspaper asked KH about the music of the movie INDIAN, but KH somehow started talking about IR who is not at all there in the scene.

However sometime he himself could not prevent his movie to have music directors other than IR irrespective of whether his production/not.

As per my knowledge, Kurudhipunal is one such movie. I wonder why IR was not pulled in for that movie. If you look at the crew worked for the film, P C Sreeram is the director, and cinematographer (who always and recently praised IR for Chini Kum) and above all its KH and his own production. But music director is Mahesh. What to say :(. I think the cause for this could be IR again.

As many of us feel, IR also should come down and forget all his past unpleasant memories. I think he is not be able to balance himself between his own natural character and the cine industry.

Now he realizes that "no IR without Bharathi Raja". If he had realized it few years ago we could have got very good songs/bgms in films like Kizhakku Cheemaiyile, Karuthamma (though I dint watch these movies). Now what is he going to do for his unnecessary obstinate kind of act.

Being one among millions of IR fan, I feel we are highly unfortunate that we yearn IR to compose music for more movies with good Directors where he is not even willing to come out of his own world. Sometime it makes me think someone should really make him read these kind of forum and how people support him/yearn for his music. Otherwise we will be whining like this forever and sorry to say that we are wasting our time :(

rooky
21st September 2007, 01:37 PM
"The basic thing they need is some songs which will sell some record-breaking number, and this being a very high-profile product, the producers would only go to a person whose work sells...and when it comes to sales, no one other than arr commands so much pre-release booking. "

Pre-release booking ? I think you are talking about Shivaji.
I am sure Shivaji's record sales in the initial days was just due to the hype that was created. And that hype was created 75% because it is a Rajni's movie and remaining 25% due to Shankar and ARR.
Can you expect pre-release booking of such scale to any other ARR's album, say for example Jillunu.. ?

If you think that Mani or Kamal make movies just for sales and money ( note the words "just for" ), and also if you think IR cannot sell anymore, then why should they talk high about IR at all ( even after IR rejected Mani's Iruvar ) ? Even if they talk about IR, why should media ask Mani about IR ? Do you think the current media will ask about some one who does not sell or who has gone irrelevant ? :)

Kamal is not a guy who works just for money and audio sales. He still respects quality and if this upcoming film is under his banner, he will never fail to approach IR or try to convince Mani and IR.

So lets cross fingers and hope for the best :)

To add, Rajni movies audios sell only cos of his HC fans and the media hype.If Iman or srikantha deva scores music and even if it is a low quality one,audio sales would still be good...Doesn't really matter who scores the music.No question of saleability of MD here.

Above said is applicable in the last 10 years of Rajinis' career wherein he's been hyped then never before.

Also just for information, After Annamalai, IR scored for Uzhaipaali and Veera for Rajini

No doubt that Kamal's first choice MD is and will always be IR.Not sure about Rajini though.

Sanjeevi
21st September 2007, 02:06 PM
Athellam kidakkatum, muthalla nAn kadavul eppo varum :roll:

njv
22nd September 2007, 12:50 PM
MD choices (based on MR, Rajni and KH)
1. ARR (MR, Rajni)
2. HJ (KH)
3. YSR (Trend)
4. IR (Music)

svbp007
23rd September 2007, 08:51 PM
I noticed somebody asked about Sunny. I am quite surprised at the very limited discussion the album has had (inlcuing the IR yahoo group).

Two songs of the movie are excellent. Those who are missing out Sayankala and Ningilo Neelima songs are not able to see how IR is still throbbing with energy. The problem with the album, including these songs is that they are very synthetic...including violin bits it appears.

But Sayankala song has the energy and enthusiasm that some of us miss in his recent songs and I am thoroughly satisfied with the song. Just make sure you listen to it in proper quality version and not on raaga/musicindia. I guess the current day songs of IR sound good only on proper equipment unlike the songs from 80s which were charming even in the most basic of radio/cassette players.

teja
27th September 2007, 09:42 AM
http://www.cinegoer.com/justin/justin260907.htm

that article (in telugu says) Kamalhassan is producing a film under 'Raj Kamal' with Rajinikanth as the main lead, to be directed by Murugadas.
Muisc is by IR.

k_vanan
27th September 2007, 11:55 AM
another news: rajinikanth approch IR to score music for this film to be direct by MR
http://www.dinakaran.com/dncgibin/kungumam.asp?imge=2007/sep/20/18

raja_fan
27th September 2007, 02:51 PM
Vow !!!!

That is great news !!!

This will surely materialize this time !! :victory:

raja_fan
27th September 2007, 03:11 PM
MR = MuRugadas or ManiRatnam ? :confused2:

raajarasigan
27th September 2007, 05:44 PM
Vow!!! Vow!!! Vow!!!

could not be better than this if things go well...

:clap: :yes: :yes: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :bluejump:

raja_fan
27th September 2007, 07:47 PM
Recent Dialogues :)

Kamal on Rajni during some function :

Rajni will call me up after his every movie and ask "Podhumla kamal..? Niruthikkalaamaa ?" . I will say "Niruthittaa eppadi ? engalukku innum innum unga padam venum"

Rajni on Kamal during Chennai-28 function :

Friendship pathi edutha padathoda vizhaavukku naan yen friend Kamal kooda vandhirukken

Maniratnam on IR in Kumudam :

Raja oru genius. Avarai ninaikkum podhu pala swarasyamaana ninaivugal varudhu. Avar vithiyaasamaaga isai amaikka koodiya script ready seidhu adhil avaroda work panna viruppam.

IR on Mani in Dhinathandhi :

Ennidam kadhai sonnadhu sonnapadi padam eduppavargal irande paer : oruvar Bharathiraja. Matroruvar Maniratnam

( Remember IR did not mention a word about VM in his series, but had this to say about Mani )

So something has been happening in the background ! At least let us hope so and pray God that these four giants come together :)

buggle
28th September 2007, 12:25 AM
another news: rajinikanth approch IR to score music for this film to be direct by MR
http://www.dinakaran.com/dncgibin/kungumam.asp?imge=2007/sep/20/18

PCSreeram not the cameraman for Thalapathi, it was Santosh Sivan..
Not sure how reliable this info is...

app_engine
28th September 2007, 01:24 AM
இந்த ரஜினி, மணிரத்னம், ராசா (கமல், முருகதாஸ் இத்யாதி) கதைகள் நம்ப முடியாதவை...

என்றாலும், அப்படி நடந்தால், பாடல்கள் எப்படி இருக்கும் என நினைக்கிறீர்கள்?...எனக்குப் "பாயும் புலி" நினைவுக்கு வருது:-(

raajarasigan
28th September 2007, 09:46 AM
Recent Dialogues :)

IR on Mani in Dhinathandhi :

Ennidam kadhai sonnadhu sonnapadi padam eduppavargal irande paer : oruvar Bharathiraja. Matroruvar Maniratnam

it's not Bharathiraja .. BALUMAHENDRA

thumburu
28th September 2007, 02:34 PM
appengine , y go as far as "paayum puli" when we have many in the recent times like "inime naanga thaan" and the likes. Raja just doesnt have it any more.

raja_fan
28th September 2007, 04:15 PM
a_e,

Paayum puli ? :confused2:

Yen ? neenga thalapathi, panakkaran, Rajadhi raja ellam kettadhu illaiyaa ?

Even Paayum puli has an amazing number "Pothukkuttu oothudhadi vaanam.."

Illai, malayala isai thaan ungalukku inikkudho ?
:wink:

app_engine
28th September 2007, 08:27 PM
raja_fan, my point is this - As Raja has not been associated with mega projects for quite some time, any hype can only result in disappointment...(FYI, personally I love all PP songs, but that was one which created some bad name for Raja due to the hype factor...some Rajini fanatics even attacked his office as it wasn't considered > or = SKV)...

All of Raja's successes in the last few years were without big stars, moslty newcomers...his efforts with even Kamal didn't reach the masses (I think VV was more popular than virumANdi...)...I'm actually afraid whether the following series of events will occur(and do not want it to happen that way):
1. IR signs up a MR (or MR+Rajinikanth) movie
2. He actually delivers a musicaly superior quality output, but without the "ullAhi-illAhi" kind of gimmicks, even very different and innovative, exactly fitting the theme of the movie. (I'm sure the score cannot be mediocre if MR kind of person is involved, but could possibly be indifferent to the popular genre of the time period)
3. For some reason, the "youth" do not find it cool (because the audio cover has an old man with grey hair, it didn't have Thamizhkkolai etc)
4. The film turns out to be sluggish and flops too (or at least does not have the success of Chandramukhi or Sivaji)
5. Everyone starts comparing Raja to lesser talents and say it would've been better had they opted for those instead of Raja...then the film would've beaten the collection of spiderman etc.
6. Everyone keeps talking about "that old, out-of-time, out-of-fashion" composer (forgetting all the great work he did for decades)

Do you want this to happen to Raja's reputation? I think he shouldn't risk such, at this point of his career, but keep doing decent work for off-beat ventures (and may be recycles like "cheeni kum" elsewhere)...and to satisfy those who really love his music, come up with an Azhagi or Bharathi every now and then, with some newcomer for a few more years...gracefully allowing people like YSR to be in the limelight...

vijayr
28th September 2007, 09:00 PM
evLo akkarai, IR should have hired app_engine as his PR guy :-)

app_engine
29th September 2007, 01:37 AM
vijayr,
:-) I was trying to read IR's mind in "bigu paNNifying" to do Rajini film:-)) தோல்வி பயமா இருக்கலாம், இல்லையா?

NormalMan
29th September 2007, 02:58 AM
njv,
Since you have contacts in k(e)ollywood, how reliable is this info by Dinakaran?

sudhakarg
29th September 2007, 08:42 AM
Agree with you app_engine 100%...

The "new-gen" songs are completely different to the IR-age songs. Sadly, IR is caught between his orthodox style (Western Classical clinically mixing with Folk or Carnatic or even Rock!), and the new-gen style and comes up with some ordinary synth stuff time and again. Once in a while he produces a stunner whenever he sticks to his strengths.

I wish someone tells him about TFMPage, and gets him to read all these passionate postings.

raja_fan
29th September 2007, 08:50 AM
a_e,

Tholvi bayamaa ? Yaarukku ? Raajaavukkaa ? :)

Then, about your concerns on why you do not want IR to take any such mega projects..

Romba kavalai padaadheenga !

Innum nam Raja thamizh naattil anaadhai aagi vida villai !
Ippodhum kooda tea kadaigalilum alladhu audio shop-ilum "Adhu thaan yaa raja" endru adithu pesa paamara aatkal irukkaanga ! TV-channel-galil avar pugazh paadum isai pandidhargal irukkaanga ! Indha maadhiriyaana koottam veru endha music directorukkum idhu varaikkum irundhadhu illai..

Thats why media always comes up with a story of "Rajni approaching IR" whether it is true or not :)

You are seeing only those high tech Tanglish group in Chennai when you say "youth" !

I am confident that this will materialize ( Rajni + IR + Mani / Murugadas ) just for one reason that this is said to be a Rajkamal production. If not, then I am also doubtful :)

njv
29th September 2007, 10:01 AM
njv,
Since you have contacts in k(e)ollywood, how reliable is this info by Dinakaran?

No idea man. This is what I heard from a very reliable person during Sivaji discussion and finally it was ARR (it was more of ARR not interested in doing a mass rajini movie and Rajini in CM function even publically told that VS is a nice man. If we approach you, you have to say yes or no. VS is not the one who drag everything). Its better to see what actually happens.

Can IR deliver something that would rock - absolutely no doubt.

Is IR in that mind set - Not at the current time. Very difficult time for IR now (YSR Divorce)

raja_fan
29th September 2007, 01:02 PM
"This is what I heard from a very reliable person during Sivaji discussion and finally it was ARR "

njv, what did you hear ? Did Rajni plan for VS and then had to work with ARR ? or Did Rajni had IR in mind for Shivaji ?

Sanjeevi
30th September 2007, 10:20 AM
Somewhat old news from recent
Cheran and Thankar bachan ladai

Matter from Cheran said

For "Solla marantha kathai" Thankar bachaan has given receipt to Panju Arunachalam for the amount Rs. 30 lakhs but he actually paid only Rs. 5 lakhs to the hero Cheran. (Hero kitta mattumthana enbathu Tb mattumthan velicham).

I guess, later, Ilaiyaraja had been known this cheating matter and this is the main reason of IR's angry on Tb.

Also somewhere I read a gossip like news which says "Tb's sons are speaking english not tamil to call their father, mom, etc"

Tb :hammer:

rooky
30th September 2007, 05:31 PM
raja_fan, my point is this - As Raja has not been associated with mega projects for quite some time, any hype can only result in disappointment...(FYI, personally I love all PP songs, but that was one which created some bad name for Raja due to the hype factor...some Rajini fanatics even attacked his office as it wasn't considered > or = SKV)...

All of Raja's successes in the last few years were without big stars, moslty newcomers...his efforts with even Kamal didn't reach the masses (I think VV was more popular than virumANdi...)...I'm actually afraid whether the following series of events will occur(and do not want it to happen that way):
2. He actually delivers a musicaly superior quality output, but without the "ullAhi-illAhi" kind of gimmicks, even very different and innovative, exactly fitting the theme of the movie. (I'm sure the score cannot be mediocre if MR kind of person is involved, but could possibly be indifferent to the popular genre of the time period)
3. For some reason, the "youth" do not find it cool (because the audio cover has an old man with grey hair, it didn't have Thamizhkkolai etc)
4. The film turns out to be sluggish and flops too (or at least does not have the success of Chandramukhi or Sivaji)
5. Everyone starts comparing Raja to lesser talents and say it would've been better had they opted for those instead of Raja...then the film would've beaten the collection of spiderman etc.
6. Everyone keeps talking about "that old, out-of-time, out-of-fashion" composer (forgetting all the great work he did for decades)

Do you want this to happen to Raja's reputation? I think he shouldn't risk such, at this point of his career, but keep doing decent work for off-beat ventures (and may be recycles like "cheeni kum" elsewhere)...and to satisfy those who really love his music, come up with an Azhagi or Bharathi every now and then, with some newcomer for a few more years...gracefully allowing people like YSR to be in the limelight...

What a pessimistic view man !!!
One who is worried about failure would never succeed

IR is definitely not the one to think this way.He may be an egoistic,that is natural for rare Talents like him.But he definitely is not a pessimist for sure.

Trend..it is a tough to explain this any time.Just pick up the latest 10 TFM albums and try explaining this.

10year back or so, media said, trend was changing and that MDs are going western.Did we see anything extraordinary from the newGen MDs.They are all caught between remixing old tunes to copying western tunes.Noticable change is the use of instruments.The newGen Mds have gone for music loops and copied tunes,but no one has noticeably done anything remarkable in music.

Whatever i have said above is on TFM only.

If IR uses instruments and real archestra for his songs,his songs would still reach the masses.No one is better than him when it comes to real MUSIC

rajasaranam
30th September 2007, 05:35 PM
Unga List pragramae Poavom :)

aahaa Enna oru arputhamaana Nigazhvu Romba Sandhosham
Indifferent'to popular genre'vo ennavo Raaja romba naala avar thiramaikku kammiyaa thaan etho music podanumaennnu pottuttu irukira madhiri enakku thonuthu. Ippadi oru hype create aagi Saathichu kaatanummndra veriyoda Thalai Isai virunthu Padaichitta appuram enna jenma saabilyam thaan namakellam :)
Youth'avathu Su... Thappu Namma ethukku kanda kanda tharuthalaingala pathi kavalai padanum. I know many youths who are really appreaciating and diehard fans of Raaja. Oru 20 yr old Raaja Fannoda Paesum bodhu Athirnthu Poitaen Ipdi oru Raaja Rasiganaa endru. SO we need not worry about the So called 'Cool' Generation Youths
SO WHAT!
Intha Comparison ARR vanthathu le irunthu thaana nadanthuttu irukku aanalum 15 varushama onnum asaikka mudiyalayae ;)
Ellaorayum Paesa vaikirathae kashtamaa irukku ippo ellam :( Raaja'nnu oruthar irukirathu kooda theiryala neraya perukku. So appadi oru vaaippu vantha Enakku ellam romba sandhosham :)

Aana neenga solrathukku maara ellamae nallabadiya amainju If the movie and songs are gonna be a hit we all will be proud and happy. Flop aana pathoda pathinonna ithayum kanakula serthukittu poittae irukka vendiyathuthaan :P Kadantha rendu moonum varushathula intha madhiri feelings kooda vaazha pazhagiyaachu naan ellam !!! :oops:

Rendavathaa Intha projectukku Raaja othukka maatarnnu en ullunarvu solluthu :x Anthaaloda Garvam appadi :) Kamal thaan ippa namakku ellam devathootham Dasavatharam illai noor avatharam eudthavathu ithukku Raajava othukka vaikkanum !!! Paarpom :?

raja_fan
30th September 2007, 08:51 PM
" Intha projectukku Raaja othukka maatarnnu en ullunarvu solluthu "

rajasaranam,

Kavalai padaatheenga ! Enakku ullunarvu romba +ve-aa solludhu ! Nichayam nadakkum :)

Again, reasons for my optimism :

1. Kamal. If producer is not Kamal, naan vaapas vangikkaren :)

2. Reports say Rajni is looking for a script with strong substance this time ( not like Shivaji ). Like nayagan and thalapathi. Take Thalapathi- it had everything- friendship, love , love failure, mother sentiment, brotherly love, action ( though everything from Mahabarata ). Rajni knows IR will be the only MD for all these feelings and at the same time to make it a hit !

3. Mani ratnam will not say no if Kamal/Rajni assures him that he will try speaking with IR. If Mani has any bitter feelings towards IR, he would not have put him at an higher pedestal every time some one asks about IR.

4. IR too has changed a lot ! He is cheerful, forgiving and forgetting like in case of BR, openly acknowledges ARR's talent etc..

But there are in fact challenges before MR and IR if they unite.

1. They have to bring back their lost old chemistry again.

2. Pressure on Mani to win with IR. Otherwise ARR's camp will silently laugh at him. The same with IR..He cannot totally ignore the present trends..

3. Big question before Mani will be "Can I go back to ARR after this ?"

Idhai ellaam vidunga !
Today I was shocked to hear a song in "Nam Naadu" by Srikanth Deva.. Appadiye slow version of IR's Vaanile Thenilaa aadudhe..from kakkichattai..
If this is the present trend, then thooki kuppaiyile thaan podanum namma kavalayai :)

rooky
30th September 2007, 10:30 PM
There is a scene in Ammuvagiya Naan,where IRs music was nicely used and creditted.

The heroine couldn''t sleep properly due to lot of diturbances.

The hero(Parthiban) plays IRs music and puts the headphone on to the Heroine and the heroine sleeps well.

The next morning,hero asks her, "Nalla thoonginiya?"

she replies "antha Patta kaettuttae thoongittaen".

Parthiban tells her "Athu Paattu illa; Ilayarajavoda Thalaattu".

TFM simply cannot avoid IR anytime.he is present everywhere.Be it the remixed songs,references such as the above one,BGM scores of most of the new MDs and what not...

Aug30 edition of DInakaran wrote "Various musical bits from Ilayaraja's scores for a TV show "India 24 hours" are used by many of the TFM MDs for their BGM scores :)

Dragun
1st October 2007, 10:29 AM
Did any other MDs ever copy bits of How to Name it or Nothing But Wind for bgm scores? I know IR himself used some of the tunes.

krish244
1st October 2007, 11:20 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before:

http://www.nowrunning.com/news/news.asp?it=12139

"The story is set in the 10th century and it is about romance between a sculptor and a dancer. ... Ilayaraja will compose the music."

Theme sets the expectation for a different kind of music.

thanks,

Krishnan

buggle
1st October 2007, 10:19 PM
In today's Rajaangham show(AAHA 91.9), bhavatharani mentioned about IR stage show in dubai on Nov 16th...she was actually interviewing Madhu Balakrishnan and said "neenga dubai le appa show ku vara poreenga, so angae ungala meet panren", he acknowledged and said, "ama on Nov 16th"...

Does anyone know about this show??

app_engine
1st October 2007, 11:54 PM
"The story is set in the 10th century and it is about romance between a sculptor and a dancer. ... Ilayaraja will compose the music."

Theme sets the expectation for a different kind of music.

Like you mentioned, this was posted before. However, no one is enthusiastic to discuss about it. There are many possible reasons:

-mu kA's works weren't that successful beyond 60's (i.e. in TF)
-there had been many such announcements, but projects never got started or completed ("aRRaiththingaL annilavil" mAdhiri niRaiyyyyyya...)
-even if this gets going, is Raja in the mood / energy levels to come out with winners?
-taste in TN has changed radically since the days of 'kAdhal oviyum' & 'sindhu bhairavi'...will anyone care for semi-classicals today? (assuming such theme calls for carnatic based score)...

raja_fan
2nd October 2007, 08:00 AM
-even if this gets going, is Raja in the mood / energy levels to come out with winners?
-taste in TN has changed radically since the days of 'kAdhal oviyum' & 'sindhu bhairavi'...will anyone care for semi-classicals today? (assuming such theme calls for carnatic based score)...

app_engine,

pessimistic-aa thaan irukkanumnu mudivu pannitteenga polirukku !

You remember "Moga mul" ? It came many years after "sindhu Bairavi" and "Kadhal oviyam" , and was a semi classical. It was a hit even among people who were not carnatic knowledged... Even "Bharati" is a semi classical..:)

If you sincerely believe that "Raja has lost it", "Raja does not have energy now", "Raja cannot win" etc, then I wonder why we have a thread like this and continue to post ? pulambi thallavaa ? :)

rooky
2nd October 2007, 09:11 AM
Let us carry on...

IR's Kannada movie "Ah Dinagalu" audio released.Movie is a thriller and has only two songs in it.People are very much looking forward to IRs' BGM.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/kannada/article/33872.html

Bangalore has lot of IR fans and thats the reason CheeniKum advts had IRs name predominantly. Note that CK made a Hundred day run in Bangalore and any tamilian who watched that movie,when recommending the movie to someone,would inevitably tell, "This movie has Ilayarajas music"

Me and the people i refer to are all in our late20s only :)

raja_fan
2nd October 2007, 12:22 PM
Things seem to have started taking shape now.

http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/29092007-1.shtml

But will Reliance agree with Kamal on the selection of technicians.., particularly if it is IR ?

krish244
2nd October 2007, 11:56 PM
Like you mentioned, this was posted before. However, no one is enthusiastic to discuss about it. There are many possible reasons:

-mu kA's works weren't that successful beyond 60's (i.e. in TF)
-there had been many such announcements, but projects never got started or completed ("aRRaiththingaL annilavil" mAdhiri niRaiyyyyyya...)

App_engine, having a movie set in 10th century itself may inspire IR to give a different kind of music. When I say "different", I mean the instruments, tune, orchestration etc i.e. the whole song package. If the director is good, IR may be inspired further to give even better stuff. I still do not have high expectations...its just the theme making me curious. I agree with you that "pure" classical based songs may not fetch popularity in today's music (although there can be rare exceptions). I think for these kind of movies, IR may stick to making music that fits the theme rather than making winners out of it. For me I will savor a song if its good, be it popular or not.

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
3rd October 2007, 01:19 AM
I partly agree with you krish244...however, to really enthuse IR, the producer may have to offer something like "Budapest symphony orchestra"...

NagaS
3rd October 2007, 10:28 AM
Here is the rapidshare upload of (a very bad quality) recording of IR's kalainjar TV Interview:

http://rapidshare.com/files/59903895/Ilayaraja_Paetti.zip.html

I heard Mayilu Audio is releasing today ... any links / confirmations?

NagaS

NagaS
3rd October 2007, 10:40 AM
Hard luck - its not cassette release, looks like padappidippu starts today:

http://www.dailythanthi.com/thanthiepaper/3102007/MDSH036685.jpg

NagaS

MumbaiRamki
3rd October 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks NagaS !
I especially liked the bhavatha song - first class ! Can you upload that too?

krish244
3rd October 2007, 01:18 PM
New movie (or movies) for IR:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/33890.html

thanks,

Krishnan

NagaS
3rd October 2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks NagaS !
I especially liked the bhavatha song - first class ! Can you upload that too?

I have uploaded the whole show MumbaiRamki, It includes the 'yaathe' song by bhavadharini (and the same song in IR's beautiful track voice!)

NagaS

MumbaiRamki
3rd October 2007, 01:52 PM
hi Nagas,
The zip file has 4 .amr files each 2 min of length. The last one had Tippu praising Raaja -

I cld nt find bhavatha's singing there .

rooky
3rd October 2007, 07:31 PM
IRs telugu movie SUNNY to release on Oct13

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/33901.html

I could listen the songs in lowquality audio only.But songs are promising.A pretty good album from IR

rooky
3rd October 2007, 07:32 PM
IRs telugu movie SUNNY to release on Oct13

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/33901.html

I could listen the songs in lowquality audio only.But songs are promising.A pretty good album from IR

rajasaranam
4th October 2007, 03:31 PM
Link to the preview Of 'Aa Dinagalu'
http://maja.up-with.com/Kannada-movie-clips-Maja-f13/Aa-Dinagalu-t1302.htm#10039

I listened to the album consisting only two songs and two bits of theme music. One word is not enough to praise the music, it just 'Awesome' . Thalai full form'la irukku pola :)

rajasaranam
4th October 2007, 03:33 PM
Link to the preview Of 'Aa Dinagalu'
http://maja.up-with.com/Kannada-movie-clips-Maja-f13/Aa-Dinagalu-t1302.htm#10039

I listened to the album consisting only two songs and two bits of theme music. One word is not enough to praise the music, it just 'Awesome' . Thalai full form'la irukku pola :)

rajasaranam
4th October 2007, 05:24 PM
the piano interludes in Theme 1 is awesome in every aspect. Chinna Gap vida koodathu dialogue naduvula, Thalai poonthu vilaydiduvaaru :)
Both the songs are too good and it is very much evident that they are composed keeping the theme of the film in mind. Sihi gaali song sung by Raaja and its interludes makes one yearn for more such compositions and it makes me wonder why does the song end so soon :(

I've uploaded the file here give a listen to it. The album and its trailer are making me look forward for the movie.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fwtpzm39xtm

ananth222
5th October 2007, 01:00 AM
Wow, thanx RS! Where did you get the mp3s? Is that the whole song or is it cut short?
The music sounds really good. Some classy stuff from IR. But I wish he'd give up those stupid synth style drumming arrangements. I was just thinking "what a classy song" as I heard the intro of "aa dinagalu" song, when the drumming started.. that song might sound better without any drums. IR is anyway great at giving a good rhythm with just violins, without drums (remember "ennulle"!). I loved the way he introduced the little mridangam bits in the song.. it would've been such a classic without the drums.. still, good stuff in recent times by IR. very promising!

raja_fan
5th October 2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks Rajasaranam !

Yes, the songs are nice, but as ananth noted , its time IR gets rid of synth and gets back to his original orchestra !

"aa dinagalu" song has slight shades of "Ilaya nilave" from Ponnu Veetukaaran.

"Sihi gaali" is great ! Wonder if IR reserves these tunes for non-tamil songs :)
But IR's voice is getting aged :(
but what to do..its nature..

Regarding the theme music, what extra to say about Raja ? Simply Mirattal :)

Also note the slow violin version of "Sihi Gaali" towards the end of the second theme. Adhu thaan Raja ! :)

raja_fan
5th October 2007, 08:54 AM
See this ! From reliable source like "The Hindu"

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2007/10/05/stories/2007100550240800.htm

Rajni movie by Maniratnam and Rani Mukherjee to pair with Rajni.

"Now, Maniratnam wants a story like Thalapathy, which was a mega hit. "

Disclaimer : Still it is in the rumour stage.

rajasaranam
5th October 2007, 10:58 AM
Wow, thanx RS! Where did you get the mp3s? Is that the whole song or is it cut short?
The music sounds really good. Some classy stuff from IR. But I wish he'd give up those stupid synth style drumming arrangements. I was just thinking "what a classy song" as I heard the intro of "aa dinagalu" song, when the drumming started.. that song might sound better without any drums. IR is anyway great at giving a good rhythm with just violins, without drums (remember "ennulle"!). I loved the way he introduced the little mridangam bits in the song.. it would've been such a classic without the drums.. still, good stuff in recent times by IR. very promising!

That was all in the CD i bought!!!
Regarding the Synth I too felt the same, but slowly Iam getting used to it. What to do we have to live with this i think until someone nails the idea of using real orchestra to Raasaiah :)

Thanks Rajasaranam !

Yes, the songs are nice, but as ananth noted , its time IR gets rid of synth and gets back to his original orchestra !

"aa dinagalu" song has slight shades of "Ilaya nilave" from Ponnu Veetukaaran.

"Sihi gaali" is great ! Wonder if IR reserves these tunes for non-tamil songs :)
But IR's voice is getting aged :(
but what to do..its nature..

Regarding the theme music, what extra to say about Raja ? Simply Mirattal :)

Also note the slow violin version of "Sihi Gaali" towards the end of the second theme. Adhu thaan Raja ! :)

But When yuvan records Raaja his voice sounds too good not showing the age. May be he tweaks a little while Raaja keeps it natural :) Intha naturality'a Synth use pannama irukrathilayum kaattatum Thalai :P
Yeah i too noted the sihi gali in the 2nd theme. summa vittu vittu pudikiraar athae tune'a. :)

crajkumar_be
5th October 2007, 11:19 AM
But I wish he'd give up those stupid synth style drumming arrangements

idhayE dhAn nAma sila pala varshama sollitrukkOm. Don't see Raaja giving up on these irritating tin dappa synth drumming sounds :(

[Mumbai Xpress la percussion vecha madhiri yen vekka maattenguraaru? :( ]

rooky
5th October 2007, 10:42 PM
"MAYILU"

PR and Moserbaer are certainly promoting this movie very well.Ads are appearing in Dailys everyday for the last three days and note that shoot has just started..Promises good things :)

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/oct-07-01/05-10-07-mayilu.html

Sanjeevi
6th October 2007, 01:25 PM
Today advt,

Isaignani Ilaiyarajavin Innisaiyil, Kalaignarin Uliyin ossai

:banghead: :)

Sanjeevi
6th October 2007, 01:26 PM
Today advt,

MrJudge
6th October 2007, 03:47 PM
It will be great if IR and Yuvan work together. IR should write the notes & melody and let Yuvan select the sounds & do the recording. They will be successful duo after MSV-TKR. What do you guys say?

crajkumar_be
7th October 2007, 09:17 AM
A bit disappointed with "Aa Dinagalu" title song - That typical-recent-IR-melody sound, rank bad synth percussion sounds.
As someone pointed out, loved the Mridangam bits but that wasnt enough to "lift" the song for me.

"Sihi Gaali" was much better, on the other hand. What an interlude! :notworthy: Pity it was so short....

And the Theme Music - Raaja's master stamp all the way :thumbsup:

rooky
8th October 2007, 08:53 AM
Today advt,

The project doesn't appeal much...But NDTV showed the launch of this movie in all its news episodes the wholeday,on saturday.It had IR answering a question w.r.to this movie.

This story was written by Karunanidhi lo..ng back and IR had requested him to make this as a movie 30years back.Karunanidhi said this and added he could do so only now.

IR had recommended..so he is the MD..Hope we get a great album from him

rooky
8th October 2007, 09:21 AM
IR will have one more Malayalam Movie with MohanLal.In the last few years,IR is more successful in Malayalam than anywhere (Two Filmfares back to back too..2004 and 2005) and mostly with this director.

7. April 14, 2008 Vishu Special- UNTITLED, Director- Sathyan Anthikad, Heroine- Meera Jasmine. Genre- Family Sentimental story laced with humour. Producer- Antony Perumbavoor.

http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=14538947

Sanjeevi
8th October 2007, 10:41 AM
Today advt,

The project doesn't appeal much...But NDTV showed the launch of this movie in all its news episodes the wholeday,on saturday.It had IR answering a question w.r.to this movie.

This story was written by Karunanidhi lo..ng back and IR had requested him to make this as a movie 30years back.Karunanidhi said this and added he could do so only now.

IR had recommended..so he is the MD..Hope we get a great album from him

Yest, atleast 6 centuries before Tanjore temple story looks interesting.....

If the producer will give enough crores and director is good, sure we will get good film as well as music album.

app_engine
13th October 2007, 01:12 AM
rooky's comment on "Pa" is moved to this thread:
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=10568

Let's have any discussions on "Pa" there, please.

rooky
19th October 2007, 08:33 AM
Ah Dinagalu released today.
Releasing in 9 theatres in bangalore including PVR and INOX

rajasaranam
19th October 2007, 11:17 AM
yeah rooky,

thanks for the info, i booked my tickets for the evening show at inox :) its not released in PVR.
BTW are you or anybody else from b'lore going for the show???

Cinefan
19th October 2007, 12:47 PM
yeah rooky,

thanks for the info, i booked my tickets for the evening show at inox :) its not released in PVR.

You in Bangalore???????From when??

Review of the movie pls??Have a gut feeling that it's going to be damn good,hope I am right.

Sanjeevi
19th October 2007, 01:05 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/oct-07-03/19-10-07-ezhu.html

enna kuzhapurAnga

MrJudge
19th October 2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/oct-07-03/19-10-07-ezhu.html

enna kuzhapurAnga

I think he is asking IR to do a role in it.

rajasaranam
19th October 2007, 02:36 PM
yeah rooky,

You in Bangalore???????From when??

Review of the movie pls??Have a gut feeling that it's going to be damn good,hope I am right.
I'am in b'lore from march this year :)
Iam hopeful about the movie from the shots that wereshown in the preview trailer.

Cinefan
19th October 2007, 04:32 PM
I'am in b'lore from march this year :)
Iam hopeful about the movie from the shots that wereshown in the preview trailer.

Didn't know-Long term stay??

Lots of hubbers in bangalore,we should all meet up once.

Anyways,looking forward to your review.Despite being a kannadiga,I hardly watch kannada films in the theatre or on TV.

Hope 'Aa Dinagalu' is an exception.

rajasaranam
19th October 2007, 05:40 PM
Hope to stay for long :)

Yes there are a lot of hubbers in b'lore why dont you initiate a meet being a localite ;)
I met prashanth rao once at his home :)

thumburu
22nd October 2007, 12:33 PM
TOI Bangalore has given a 3 star , meaning "good" rating for the "Aa Dinagalu" Kannada movie and IR's music as pleasing. Are the songs aired in FMs?

Sanjeevi
22nd October 2007, 03:15 PM
Where is rajasaranam? Did he see the film?

Cinefan
22nd October 2007, 04:14 PM
Even I am wondering,where is rajasaranam?Was eagerly awaiting his review.

BTW,we all should plan a hubbers meet here-I have been part of 2 such meets but both had just 3 hubbers-Myself,Bala alias A_A alias crajkumar_be&jaiganesh(where is he BTW)along with his wife the first time around(Dec 2005)&your's truly,sakalakalavallavar&selvakumar the second time.

raja_fan
22nd October 2007, 04:22 PM
I am also in Bangalore. I am ready for a meet.

rajasaranam
22nd October 2007, 04:59 PM
When we see some good movies we will be left with no words to express the feelings we get. This is one such movie.And whatever Iam going to write here will not suffice for this classic. The movie will be disappointment for people who expect adrenalin rising action sequences since it is a movie about underworld dons! ( One Such person was myself! Only after the movie ended and i started rethinking about it, i realized this is a damn good movie which i need to watch again to appreciate it better) But the directors success lies in creating the tension all along the movie with no bloodshed or violence or even a minimalistic action sequence apart from the climax where a quick killing happens. And it is towards this climax the whole film is built towards.
The plot is very simple - rich boy - poor girl love affair.The rich boys father doesnt approves this and engages a underworld don to ward off the girl from his sons life. Subsequently in a quick turn of events the hero finds himself amidst the people of underworld seeking his revenge towards the don. How he builds the plot to achieve this aim, forms the next part of the story. The film is so intricately woven into the underworld and police nexus and also the police officials wanting to get rid of the don, using the hero for their own purpose are all commendable visual treat.
Had the director wanted, he could have made this into a commercial masala movie but as he had to be faithful to the original story he has avoided this and the screenplay by Girish Karnad/Agni Sridhar has well supported this.(the Story is a real incident which took place in bangalore during the 80's and came out as a novel titled 'Dadagiriya Dinagalu' by agni sridhar)
There are some very good dialogues in the movie uttered by a character named 'Sridhar' ( May be he is the novelist too!!!) portrayed by 'Atul kulkarni' - One of his best performances i enjoyed after Hey ram. the way he utters it and the meaning of the dialogues itself is so violent that no one needs to show a gory bloodbath to incite the feeling of violence into us. At a point of time the Hero Asks.. 'Being a underworld man why dont you carry weapons?' for which he answers 'the Real weapon is man himself nothing else is more powerful than us'.
Technically too the movie is a winner by creating the 80's feel to it. the sets, props, camera work, editing, everything is exactly whatever is needed, nothing more or glamorous.
Ilaiyaraaja has created the soundscape for the movie. where the visual are terrorizing he terrorizes with more music and where the visuals are smothering he is there with soft music. The two songs which are forced into the movie are later used with variations as BGM scores which he alone can accomplish.

Verdict : Must watch :)

rajasaranam
22nd October 2007, 05:05 PM
Meet pannalaam,
There are many people here i believe.
First lets start a thread for this and ask them to post present sir! then we can go ahead with the schedule :)

raja_fan
22nd October 2007, 08:16 PM
Rediff review :

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2007/oct/22aad.htm

"The background score by Ilayaraja is one of the best heard in the recent times in Kannada films. "

"Chaithanya has proved his mettle as a director in his first film itself."

"If any Kannada film has tackled a gangster story realistically, it is Aa Dinagalu. Commendable direction, excellent star cast, high class technical crew and a fantastic script; that is how we can sum up the film. "

Rating : 3.5

rajasaranam
22nd October 2007, 08:45 PM
I think more such positive reviews will give the necessary hype to the movie for making it a hit. It was sad to see not even 10% of the theater filled on the first day evening show :(

app_engine
23rd October 2007, 12:40 AM
Digression:

rs, most off-beat films suffer similar fate now...it's interesting to read that Mohanlal's 'pardesi' didn't have 100% audience on opening day, because it's an off-beat film...(supposedly very good film, as per Sify review)...this is despite the star being #1 & unlike in TN, there used to be a sizeable audience in Kerala for 'award' padams...OTOH, choclate (Prithvi Raj romantic) is a big success it seems...times are changing...

End-digression

app_engine
23rd October 2007, 12:50 AM
http://sify.com/movies/kannada/review.php?id=14546521&ctid=5&cid=2427

Is there any link for the songs?...

krish244
23rd October 2007, 08:22 AM
Everyone's praising IR's BGM (and songs)!

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/kannada/review/9523.html

http://www.nowrunning.com/film/review.asp?movieNo=4371

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Oct222007/scroll2007102231769.asp?section=updatenews

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
23rd October 2007, 05:00 PM
http://sify.com/movies/kannada/review.php?id=14546521&ctid=5&cid=2427

Is there any link for the songs?...

Hi AE,

I had already given the link in this post :)

the piano interludes in Theme 1 is awesome in every aspect. Chinna Gap vida koodathu dialogue naduvula, Thalai poonthu vilaydiduvaaru :)
Both the songs are too good and it is very much evident that they are composed keeping the theme of the film in mind. Sihi gaali song sung by Raaja and its interludes makes one yearn for more such compositions and it makes me wonder why does the song end so soon :(

I've uploaded the file here give a listen to it. The album and its trailer are making me look forward for the movie.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fwtpzm39xtm

Or you can listen it from any of these sites
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/kannada/s/movie_name.9364/
http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Moviewise/home/AaDinagalu.php

Cinefan
23rd October 2007, 07:14 PM
I think more such positive reviews will give the necessary hype to the movie for making it a hit. It was sad to see not even 10% of the theater filled on the first day evening show :(

:Shocked:

I was thinking the film will have a flying start.Anyways.am very keen to catch up on the movie,let's see how fast I can do it.

raja_fan
25th October 2007, 10:25 AM
Aah Dinagalu is really reaching the audience, it seems..

Today I heard some of my Kannada colleagues in office praising the movie a lot and especially IR's music. :)

raja_fan
25th October 2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.indiaenews.com/bollywood/20071023/76585.htm

"The film's music by veteran composer Ilayaraja is one of the best heard in Kannada films in recent times.

'Aa Dinagalu' is a must-see film for lovers of authentic cinema.
"

http://www.chitraloka.com/sections/how_is_it/2007/aa_dinagalu_07.shtml

"The music is composed by well known music director Ilayaraja is the highlight of the film and the background score is terrific."

"Aa Dinagalu is a must see film for all Kannada film lovers who want to see better made films. "

Also read comments of Kannadigas who have watched the movie !
http://www.viggy.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5201

:clap: :clap:

K
25th October 2007, 06:30 PM
Aa dinagalu songs availabale in cooltoad kannada section

K
26th October 2007, 08:54 AM
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=326758
http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=326762

app_engine
26th October 2007, 05:06 PM
A dinagaLu : Both songs are sweet, flowing melodies...with some nice piano sounds surrounding and non-intrusive percussions...Prelude / interludes are so-so, reminding us of many such pieces in his other songs, still sweet and fitting. Both songs end abruptly, though. Probably the movie demanded such pieces (and I guess Raja uses the instrumental versions of these frequently in the BGM, and he is a king in that always).

Sanjeevi
27th October 2007, 06:38 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2007/10/maestro-illayaraaja-scores--songs-just-minutes.html

again :banghead:

raja_fan
27th October 2007, 09:34 PM
Sanjeevi,

Sari..sari..vidunga..vidunga..
:D

raja_fan
27th October 2007, 09:36 PM
Raja arai mani nerathil tune poduvaar..Director arai mani nerathil theatre vittu makkal veliye varuvadhu maadhiri padam eduppaar..

Idhellaam namakku pudhusaa ?

12bums
27th October 2007, 10:33 PM
Raja arai mani nerathil tune poduvaar..Director arai mani nerathil theatre vittu makkal veliye varuvadhu maadhiri padam eduppaar..

Idhellaam namakku pudhusaa ?

Raja_fan, that was a good one. Sad, but very true...

By the way guys, any truth to this?
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14549508

njv
28th October 2007, 07:04 AM
By the way guys, any truth to this?
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14549508

Seems to be another SIFY created story. Kamal will not opt ARR unless its directed by Mani or Shankar. So no worries.

raja_fan
28th October 2007, 09:07 AM
njv,

Also K.S.Ravikumar .

Yes, it will be a shock if Kamal goes to ARR for the film he is directing himself.

But who knows, if Reliance stresses for ARR for his "All India visibility"..

irir123
28th October 2007, 09:10 AM
raja_fan: it WILL be ARR if Rajkamal is NOT producing the film! looks like Kamal is doing the film for Reliance-Adlabs and hence would have to bow down to pressure from producers who would rather have the 'bankable' ARR (whose GURU was a sensation in Hindi) than the 'little-known' IR (in Hindi circles, not withstanding the success of CK)!

njv
28th October 2007, 09:53 AM
K.S.Ravikumar - can not influence KH. Himesh in Dasa.

Kamal - perfectionist. So he will demand IR

Lets wait and see.

raja_fan
28th October 2007, 12:48 PM
njv,

K.S.R still can influence KH. Otherwise Avvai Shanmukhi, Tenali and Panchthanthiram would have come to IR.

And one more thing, people like me would not be sad if Kamal goes to ARR for his own direction.

Because I cannot tolerate if KH butchers or spoils IR's tunes with his ugly or immature visualization as he did in Virumandi ( I am talking only about the songs ).

On hearing "Kombula poova sutthi" song for the first time, I expected a wonderful group dance sequence which will make the song evergreen for years to come..But alas, we know how Kamal butchered the song with his antics..he did not even allow the full song in the film.

And not to talk about "Onna vida.." . What a composition ? and what a silly and obscene picturization ? The tune and lyrics ( by KH himself ) is full of everlasting and eternal feelings of love..But see what director Kamal did with that ?

*EDITED by MOD*

K
28th October 2007, 04:32 PM
Naan Kadavul has only one song and that is 11min

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/oct-07-04/27-10-07-naan-kadavul.html

app_engine
28th October 2007, 06:34 PM
That sounds good...for the reason that people need not worry too much about the "album":-) It'll be similar to "single" and probably more apt to the movie...

Having said that, I need to also tell that I'm not a big admirer of Bala style of "dark theme" movies:-(

rooky
28th October 2007, 10:37 PM
K.S.Ravikumar - can not influence KH. Himesh in Dasa.

Kamal - perfectionist. So he will demand IR

Lets wait and see.

Kamal had always said that IR would be the MD for his movies under Rajkamal.

For the movies that he acts for other producers and directors,i guess he leaves that preference to the Directors.Eventually, how well a Director and the Music director Synchronise impacts the output.

In that sense too, Kamal the director would sync much better with IR than with anyone else.

If it is produced and/or directed by Kamal, I guess IR would be MD.Let us wait for the official announcement.

njv
29th October 2007, 06:11 AM
njv,

K.S.R still can influence KH. Otherwise Avvai Shanmukhi, Tenali and Panchthanthiram would have come to IR.

And one more thing, people like me would not be sad if Kamal goes to ARR for his own direction.

Because I cannot tolerate if KH butchers or spoils IR's tunes with his ugly or immature visualization as he did in Virumandi ( I am talking only about the songs ).

On hearing "Kombula poova sutthi" song for the first time, I expected a wonderful group dance sequence which will make the song evergreen for years to come..But alas, we know how Kamal butchered the song with his antics..he did not even allow the full song in the film.

And not to talk about "Onna vida.." . What a composition ? and what a silly and obscene picturization ? The tune and lyrics ( by KH himself ) is full of everlasting and eternal feelings of love..But see what director Kamal did with that ?

Different view. if its ARR, it wont be good bcuz their chemistry didnt work b4 (except Indian, which has Shankar factor). I would love to see KH working with YSR though.

app_engine
29th October 2007, 08:20 AM
Digression continued:-)
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-10-31/pg5.php
Did anyone hear these songs?

thumburu
29th October 2007, 01:40 PM
Fans Raja is down and out. So it is not surprising if KH or any of the old IR loyals who have an eye on box office go for the most happening MD, be it ARR or HR or SEL . Now , looks like even young, promising directors want to move away from IR. Few days back, I was talking over phone with new director RamSub [director of Tamil M.A.] and requested him to cast IR instead of YSR for his next venture. He said he has great respect and regard for IR but cannot extract work from him due to wide age difference. But he has excellent rapport with Yuvan and can ask him to give music as per his needs. This sums up our loss as well as IR's loss in TFM industry :(. Let IR realize the futility of sticking to TFM and move on with music in other fulfilling forms.

raja_fan
29th October 2007, 06:25 PM
Fans,

This forum is not for people who have lost hopes for IR and who feels "Raja is out", "down", "gone", "does not have it any more" etc.

I wonder why such people have to visit this forum "IR's new albums" if they feel that everything about IR is futile now.

I am NOT an authority here..just I am wondering what these people have to do here then.

Atleast I request the other fans to ignore such postings ( not the people ) and keep walking with the same enthusiasm of expecting and demanding more and more from the ocean of music called Ilaiyaraaja :)

njv
29th October 2007, 08:21 PM
raja_fan

thumburu just gave us a his dicussion with the director. he himself is a very h.c fan of raaja,so dont get upset. he is just giving what the director felt.

1. this new Tamil M.A director is not a genius - to me none of the recent director, excluding Bala & cheran is anything work mention. they believe in taking totally dark movie with out anything, so ignore them.

2. ask the question yourself - if you were to produce a movie, who would be your default choice for actor, director and MD

what thumburu mentioned is a fact. people does not want to work with IR for age differences.

IR should move on and make eternal musics and not bother about TFM.

venkiks
29th October 2007, 09:07 PM
I don't feel that IR is out or not capable. IMHO the only capable MDs we have in தமிழ் are only IR and ARR. But both of them are not in the right form or for whatever reason does not give us what they can.

I agree with njv இப்பொழுது உள்ள இளம் இயக்குனர்களில் பெரும்பாலானோர் ஒன்றும் பெரும் படைப்பாளிகள் அல்ல. They are no were nowhere near the cerativity of Barathiraja, Bagyaraj, Maniratham etc... when they were young.

IR is still capable of providing good music. It all depends on whether the right படைப்பாளி approaches him. Did raaja not provide some amazing songs like உலகிலே அழகி நீ தான், காட்டு வழி, காற்றில் வரும் கீதமே. பூ பூத்தது from Mumbai Express is one of my all time favourites of IR, a marvelous melody for 8 and half minutes.

thumburu
30th October 2007, 02:04 PM
njv, thanks for your understanding. BTW, iam not a "he" :)
It is a wishful thinking for IR fans like us to expect big guys like Kamal, Rajini to continue patronizing IR . Director RamSub's reply was only a reality check. As njv says, IR should give us eternal music not necessarily in TFM which celebrates only the last success.

rooky
30th October 2007, 08:55 PM
Fans Raja is down and out. So it is not surprising if KH or any of the old IR loyals who have an eye on box office go for the most happening MD, be it ARR or HR or SEL . Now , looks like even young, promising directors want to move away from IR. Few days back, I was talking over phone with new director RamSub [director of Tamil M.A.] and requested him to cast IR instead of YSR for his next venture. He said he has great respect and regard for IR but cannot extract work from him due to wide age difference. But he has excellent rapport with Yuvan and can ask him to give music as per his needs. This sums up our loss as well as IR's loss in TFM industry :(. Let IR realize the futility of sticking to TFM and move on with music in other fulfilling forms.

First thing First, I dont think IR is down and out.He may not be shining in Tamil,which all of us long for,But is shining elsewhere.In Tamil too,he would do well and there is plenty to look forward to.

In Hindi, Big budgetted movies doesn't necessarily mean a highly paid MD.there were quite a number of Big budgetted bollywood movies without the three that u had mentioned.IF you are really following Bollywood, you should be aware of that.

Northies are not unaware of Ilayaraja and his greatness but, they haven't heard or felt his music much.IRs movies that most of them knew were SADMA and HeyRam and now Cheenikum.Infact heyRams' hindi version of "Nee partha" was in starplus top3 for quite a number of weeks,even before the actual movie release.

Do not think that none of the newgen Directors or producers are keen for IRs music.There are Directors who like IR but are afraid to work with him.That is cos of the age diff and also IRs' stature.They think they cannot command anything to IR.That is there.

IR is not sticking to TFM.There are people (producers and directors) asking him to compose for their movies and he is doing them;not the other way around.

As was asked before, I am really curious why thumburu,who feels IR is down and out visits "IRs new releases" forum.Really curious!

rajaalltheway
30th October 2007, 10:33 PM
Kamal Haasan and Kajol may come together for a bilingual produced by adlabs which kamal will direct,music is by AR RAHMAN.Kamal haasan lobbied a lot for IR and YSR but Venkat Devarajan,Adlabs finance supremo objected strongly.according to him music revenue is crucial for the company and ARR guarantees higher audio right revenues.Bad luck for us fans.

njv
31st October 2007, 03:00 AM
Kamal Haasan and Kajol may come together for a bilingual produced by adlabs which kamal will direct,music is by AR RAHMAN.Kamal haasan lobbied a lot for IR and YSR but Venkat Devarajan,Adlabs finance supremo objected strongly.according to him music revenue is crucial for the company and ARR guarantees higher audio right revenues.Bad luck for us fans.

Venkat Devarajan made a mistake.

ARR no guarantee is a genius, but KH and ARR chemistry never worked and its like forcing KH to work with ARR and at the same time ARR has to work with a guy who doesnt like him. How do we expect Chemistry!

Venkat Devarajan does not understand the concept of ROI and bottom line. He will after this mistake.

Also some unknown Venkar Devarajan attempting to influence KH tells me that this news is another "SIFY local channel" news!

njv
31st October 2007, 03:15 AM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2007/10/maestro-illayaraaja-scores--songs-just-minutes.html

again :banghead:

IR was so busy in 80s where he was forced to finish up tune selection with in 2 to 3 hours and thats exactly how we got 90% of his songs. So not sure why we have to be concerned about IR coming up with tunes in half hour.

Believe it or not, I have listed to IR albums enough that given a situation, I can come up with a tune in 5 minutes (obviously heavy IR influence though).

Did't we all listened to original Maayakannadi CD! Konjam Konjam song was tuned in less than 3 minutes. Didnt we all watch One Man Show where he end up tuning "muththai tharu bakthi" in less than 2 minutes or his own Karakatakaran song in YSR way in less than 10 seconds and didn't we all clapped for this.

So, no surprises here, no worries here.

raja_fan
31st October 2007, 07:50 AM

If this is true, then it reveals some most unfortunate changes happening in film industry at least.

1. Like what prevailed in ancient days, Saraswati ( talent ) is once again at the mercy of Lakshmi ( money ).

2. Earlier there were film makers with a lot of money ( AVM, Motherland etc etc ) but now there are no film makers, just business men.

Well..., Bharathi ippozhudhu uyirudan irundhaalum, namma makkal avaridam povaargalaa enna ? Pa.Vijay, Snehan pondravargal pola Bharathi pocket-ai nirappuvaaraa ? endru thaan ketpaargal.. Namma naattin vetkka kedu appadi ! :(

I agree that thumburu indicated this, but what i disagree was because of this we cannot tell "IR is down, out" etc :)

But Kamal, you too ????

rooky
31st October 2007, 08:32 AM

If this is true, I am more worried about KH than IR.I just can't beleive that KH, being an unparalleled star of his generation, cannot have a say and that too for his own (directed) product.

njv
31st October 2007, 10:00 AM
ini mella tamil saagum - bharathi

KH will do anything for money to complete his maruthanayakam, so if this movie gives him 40C why not! he will make 40C, use ARR or any 1 else and screw up the movie and music (Aalavandhan)

Dragun
31st October 2007, 10:38 AM
No need to worry if ARR is indeed the music director for this project. The music would still be good. Its not like Adlabs picked Anu Malik or Pritam Chakravarty.

krish244
31st October 2007, 10:42 AM
According to Sameer (lyricist), Ilaiyaraaja's score for tamil movie "SHANKARABARANAM" is outstanding and mindblowing :)

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Business_of_Bollywood/Pure_love_in_its_truest_form/articleshow/2493933.cms

Krishnan

crajkumar_be
31st October 2007, 11:07 AM
No need to worry if ARR is indeed the music director for this project. The music would still be good. Its not like Adlabs picked Anu Malik or Pritam Chakravarty.
:thumbsup:

By the way, the producer might be Adlabs or UTV (or someone else for that matter)....

rooky
31st October 2007, 11:33 AM

Do u expect an extrordinary musical when the MD is forced on the Director?

Remember, KH-ARR combos' (actor-MD) last Tenali was a very very average one interms of music.

raja_fan
31st October 2007, 11:55 AM
According to Sameer (lyricist), Ilaiyaraaja's score for tamil movie "SHANKARABARANAM" is outstanding and mindblowing

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Business_of_Bollywood/Pure_love_in_its_truest_form/articleshow/2493933.cms

Krishnan

Shankarabaranam is by KVM ! Not by IR :)

raja_fan
31st October 2007, 11:59 AM

Dragun,

This is the forum of IR fans primarily, not of Kamal's though both may overlap !

So IR fans have a little to worry about if Kamal-IR association is broken for even one film :) May be Kamal's fans don't need to worry..

rajasaranam
31st October 2007, 03:43 PM

There are two different things in this post.
1. The people who have an eye for BO go for the composer who can give good ROI. And IR Is not one of them.
2.Some directors feel that they cannot extract music from IR due to the age difference.

But these two factors can never never be summed up to say blatantly that Raaja is down and out .

there are first time debutant directors like : Balki (Cheenikum-Hindi), Jeevan (Mayilu), Chandranaath (Kangalum Kavi Paaduthey) Kathaga Thirumavalavan (Ajanthaa) KM Chaithanya (Aa Dinagalu-Kannada) Sathish (Hope-Telugu) Venkatesh (Inimaey Naangathan) Sajulan (SMS-Malayalam) GSiva (Dhanam) Ilavenil (Uliyin Osai) ...... A never ending list of Debutant directors are in favour of Raaja shows very clearly that Raaja is NOT OUT AND DOWN :) and this is only a partial list which came off the mind and they are very recent releases and forthcoming films. There are more such directors who can be listed for post 2000.
These directors want quality music and they are pinning their hopes on Raaja to elevate their movies through his music. These directors are not caring about money and they stick to Raaja. These directors are not afraid of Raaja and definitely knows that they can communicate with Raaja inspite of a huge age difference. One Ram is not the whole industry. Let the whining ladies whine, while we will keep our fingers crossed for the director who can truly inspire Raaja with his narratives :)

Coming back to the Original post through which these discussions have sparked off - If its Adlabs which has asked Kamal to use ARR for their venture! why were they not able to convince RGV for their Production SHIVA2006? It means that they dont intervene in the Directors discretion in choosing Technicians. The news should've been the illusion of the writer who thought that any big Project should be assocaited with ARR :) Lets hope for the best. And even it doesnt happens the way we wish nothing is lost there are still many many aspiring directors (A few of whom I know) waiting for a break! and and some of their first choice is Raaja :)

Billgates
31st October 2007, 04:13 PM
Another factor which can determine Raaja's popularity / credit rating is sale of his albums . Anyone can give inputs on how popular are his albums.
Ultimately, this is Cinema being made for profit & no charity. Producers will go for a Composer who is marketable

Billgates
31st October 2007, 04:24 PM
Why Raaja is not producing movies now a days ? Thats a very good option no ?
He can give his best for home production & can also choose good subjects to his liking so that the output is the ebst

raja_fan
31st October 2007, 05:08 PM
A long post below, but couldn't help it :)

In the eighties and even early nineties, no producer cared much about sales of casettes. Because during those times, the songs were conceived by directors mostly as an integral part of the narration of the story ( note the word mostly ) and producers looked the whole sum success of the movie rather than audio sales, A centre, B centre etc etc..

As a simple example, take the songs of some Ramarajan movie. The songs of IR for Ramarajan are more popular to this date. But if you ask "How many cassettes of Karagaattakkaran or enga ooru paattukkaaran were sold ?" nobody cared about this those times..

I am a hard core IR fan. But I have never rushed to any audio shop or bought any cassettes be it Agni Natchathiram, Anjali etc.. Ellaam radio,TV thaan ! ( Andraikku irundha porulaadhaara nilamaiyum appadi )

After the nineties, globalisation, Satellite media ( Top ten ratings, countdown etc ) and other network advances had its effect on films also.. Mere business motives started to rule - like Mutual funds.
Ellaathaiyum pichu pichu paarkka arambithaargal..
No need of relationship between film and songs..Songs were seen separate.

How many Shankar's films have situations for songs ? :)Ellaame dream and fun..So what is the difficulty for new gen MDs to attract youngsters ? nothing..no challenge..so easy job. Cassette yen virkkaadhu ?

Since IR is not used to all these things, I think he still is not able to focus on audio sales, this sales, that sales etc.
That's why he does not take more time to add on to the songs and see whether it will reach the audience etc..Situation-kku idhu thaan right endru niruthi vidugiraar..Mani ratnam pola velai vaangubavargal irundhaal raja indrum audio sales-il No:1-aaga nichayam iruppaar :)

MumbaiRamki
31st October 2007, 05:29 PM
raja fan,
I don't agree with you. I feel IR has not mastered the art of having modern sounds. he is unable to leap to a different genre of music. Its not the style but the sounds itself has changed over time.

If you remember well ,veera in 1993 , had 1 lakh cassets sold on the first day .Producers did care for teh sales as it fetched some money for that.

Morever i feel after doing 850 films , boredom sets in to score for the same type of films .. IR is no exception !

raja_fan
31st October 2007, 06:19 PM
Veera was in 1994 and was a Rajni film first ! As I said it was mid-nineties ! :)

If you remember that was the time when Satellite TVs were newly coming up with Top ten ratings etc based on so called cassette sales etc ( DD also made a futile attempt with "Hit Potti" at 9 PM Sunday night with SV Ramanan etc as host )

app_engine
31st October 2007, 07:37 PM
MumbaiRamki,
>>I feel IR has not mastered the art of having modern sounds<<

That's quite a sweeping statement. If he had not, then he would have been out of the industry post-ARR. I remember some magazines even criticizing IR for adapting to the modern sounds (I think it said "ARR'like sounds") when his kAdhalukku mariyAdhai became a stupendous success. What's wrong with "sounds" in the recent Cheeni Kum which got nationwide acceptance?

Infact it's not a big "ART" to have these modern sounds:-) Any half-baked musician can do that as proved by all and sundry in TFM today.

And all this talk about "marketability", again should not be taken as absolute truth. There is "some" truth in the marketability of ARR as an artist. However, if you compare the revenues of his output for an SJ Surya movie, it definitely won't cross, say, the revenues of the output of YSR / VS / HJ or anyone for any of their hit movies. In any case, it is never the same as what happens for a Maniratnam+ARR or Shankar+ARR or Rajinikanth+ARR. So there's nothing like "absolute" marketability. ARR's success from the beginning has more to do with his acumen to have top colloborations (well, at least initially aided by IR's indifference to such top artists).

That IR in the last decade failed to sign-up a big combo in TFM (or HFM) should not be equated with IR as a non-saleable artist. Even in this era, we have seen the azhagi's and cheeni kum's and rasathandhram's. Obviously, his "big" days are over when he can do HTBI / NBW, all alone to commercially viable proportions with just his name, despite the moderate success of TbI in recent times.

Come on, he is 64+ and his son is among the top MD's in TFM today and some of the successful MD's today are only old enough to be his grandchildren.

However, to term that cassettes with IR+MR or IR+Rajnikanth won't sell or IR cannot do "modern" sounds, is, IMO, incorrect.

rooky
31st October 2007, 07:43 PM
Audio sales is defnitely not a factor anymore.Also, there is no authentic medium to give the exact sales of audio.Hence, you would hear news of record audio sales reported only by producers or the audio company,that too to create a hype out of it.

With music composers charging in crores, the audio sales would not even cover their renumerations.

This present age, the producers use the name of the composer to get the attention of general public and use the songs to market their movie.How well they make the songs reach the people(thro' TV and other media) make those songs popular or not.There is nothing about profit for producer interms of audio sale.

You may look back at the most popular songs of the past five years or so and it doesn't translate into record audio sales.Rajini movies would be the exceptions.but those numbers would be the same even if the MD is a debutant.

There is plenty of audio piracy and drop in audio sales in the last 10years and no producer would depend on audio sale to recover his money.

Dragun
31st October 2007, 10:34 PM
Why Raaja is not producing movies now a days ? Thats a very good option no ?
He can give his best for home production & can also choose good subjects to his liking so that the output is the ebst

Producing movies is hard work and very risky. Even hit producers like AM Rathnam are not immune to failures.

I too do not feel IR has mastered using electronic sounds, synths, loops. Nor do I demand that he master them. He is of a different generation and I understand that. My problem is that he actually does not use enough live instruments! That is his strength. Listen to Pithamagan, Azhagi, Hey Ram, etc. I know those are not modern youthful romances but the music is powerful.

IMO, the best tracks of Aa Dinagalu were Theme Music 1 and 2 where he used real instruments.

njv
1st November 2007, 05:56 AM
Kalambiduchayya Kalambiduchayya! SIFY kalagam Nanmaiyil Mudiyuma?

rooky
1st November 2007, 08:58 AM
Todays newspaper reports that Surya has agreed to act in Panchu Arunachalams' movie next year, which would start after his current commitments are done.

Will it be IR this time or Yuvan?

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 08:58 AM
My problem is that he actually does not use enough live instruments! That is his strength
:exactly:
In fact, in the last few years, that has been what most of us HC IR fans have been "cribbing" about. Why does IR have to go for synth sounds which sound so out of place? Especially in the rhythm section.
Mumbai Express is the best case in point. It had lovely percussion, among other things.

app_engine,
Even in Cheeni Kum, in a couple of songs, the synth usage left something to be desired and im not taking anything away from the album otherwise.

Mumbai Ramki,
Well, about IR not mastering usage of modern "sounds", he was ultra-modern or atleast very much with the times in the 80s itself.
"Endrendum anandhame" (Kadal Meengal) - <was it the Moog synthesizer? experts may clarify> - , the Jimi Hendrix style guitaring (which was modern to TFM atleast those days!) in innumerable songs like "Senorita I love you" (Johny) are just a couple of examples from a long list... He had mastered music AND sound even back then IMO...
However, its a different issue at present... Now, mostly his synth usage sounds "lame".... i agree with *that* grouse of yours...

rooky
1st November 2007, 09:02 AM
My problem is that he actually does not use enough live instruments! That is his strength
In fact, in the last few years, that has been what most of us HC IR fans have been "cribbing" about. Why does IR have to go for synth sounds which sound so out of place? Especially in the rhythm section.
Mumbai Express is the best case in point. It had lovely percussion, among other things.

app_engine,
Even in Cheeni Kum, in a couple of songs, the synth usage left something to be desired and im not taking anything away from the album otherwise.

Mumbai Ramki,
Well, about IR not mastering usage of modern "sounds", he was ultra-modern or atleast very much with the times in the 80s itself.
"Endrendum anandhame" (Kadal Meengal) - <was it the Moog synthesizer? experts may clarify> - , the Jimi Hendrix style guitaring (which was modern to TFM atleast those days!) in innumerable songs like "Senorita I love you" (Johny)...
Its a different issue now that he doesnt use hip-hop, rap etc NOW or that his synth usage sounds "lame".... i agree with *that* grouse of yours...

Interms of western sounds, "oh butterfly" from meera is a mesmerising Fantasy song.I really love the usage of sounds and the orchestration in the song.

Who can forget "Rakkamma" from Dalapathi which had the violins rocking hightime

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 09:11 AM
Dragun,

This is the forum of IR fans primarily, not of Kamal's though both may overlap !

So IR fans have a little to worry about if Kamal-IR association is broken for even one film :) May be Kamal's fans don't need to worry..
1. This is not the first time the association is "broken". Kurudhippunal had music by Mahesh. Nala Dhamayanthi had music by Ramesh Vinayakam. Hey Ram's first choice MD was L.Subraminaim.
2. Even if IR is NOT the MD for Marmayogi, it does not *signal* anything, with respect to the KH-IR equation.
They share such an enviable relationship.

As a fanatic of Kamal AND Ilaiyaraaja, i wont be upset if Rahman does indeed become the MD of Marmayogi (if at all Marudhanayagam sees the light of day, im sure there will be no choice but Raaja).
The reason is, if somebody makes a big budget bilingual or trilingual, Rahman is the automatic choice (exceptions are there, like Marudh)....

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 09:17 AM
Interms of western sounds, "oh butterfly" from meera is a mesmerising Fantasy song.I really love the usage of sounds and the orchestration in the song.

Who can forget "Rakkamma" from Dalapathi which had the violins rocking hightime
Rooky,
Absolutely! But that was in reference to IR's adaptation to modern sounds.. avaru ellathayum yerkanave senjittaaru..IFM-ku mudhalla 'rap' kuduthadhe avaru dhaane (Vikram)... ippo avarala mudiyala-ngaradhu dhaan point...
The question, like Dragun asks, is why does he have to??
Firstly, he should not and is not scoring for movies belonging to the "modern" genre like Boys. Thats not his present day niche.
Or, even if he goes for synth sounds it should not sound out of place....

raja_fan
1st November 2007, 09:24 AM
"Endrendum anandhame" (Kadal Meengal) - <was it the Moog synthesizer?

crajkumar_be,

I was just thinking about mentioning this song.

Yes, When I hear this song, I realize that IR was very much ahead of his time and like predicting to the people in 1980 itself what may happen after 25 yrs ! :)

The drum sounds very much like the present synth which has become so default part in the songs nowadays.

The same with Netrikkan's "Maappillaikku maman manasu". What a combo of drums, Mridangam and vocal jathi ?!

Regarding your latest post, there is nothing like automatic choice if it is trilingual etc.

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 09:51 AM
Regarding your latest post, there is nothing like automatic choice if it is trilingual etc.
R_F,
bilingial/trilingual AND big-budget...

Hey Ram (Critically acclaimed one of the very best of Raaja IMO but the market and masses disagreed)
Alavandhaan (Critically and commercially didnt make much noise)
Mumbai Express (IMO showcased Raaja's genius but the market and masses disagreed)

OTOH, ......

I rest my case

MumbaiRamki
1st November 2007, 10:06 AM
Hey very nice discussion-

Replace Raaja with MSV and ARR with Raaja and shift the year to 1980. Yes , raaja brought in a fresh sound with a new wave of orchestration .

-> Starting piece of Poon kaatru ( Moondram Pirai), you can feel a new sound ,something MSV did not do . I think the same can be said of Raaja now .New sounds are simply not coming up . (or) you can say he is not challenged well ,considering his profile.

But im equally confused. I understand lot of folks here did not see maayakannadi or didnt like - but if you had seen the BGm, it was one of the modern scores i have ever seen ...The BGm for Cheran - nair love and the BGM fior the villain was simply the best !!! The trouble is that the same stuff do not extend to his songs ...there is ahuge gap between them .(if i had a chance to get maayakannadi DVD, i will rip the scores and you can feel what im saying here )..

Yes, something liek Mumbai Xpress or Heyream would be great, but how many such movies come to his desk ?

Dragun
1st November 2007, 10:42 AM
[tscii:76282a8186]

1. This is not the first time the association is "broken". Kurudhippunal had music by Mahesh. Nala Dhamayanthi had music by Ramesh Vinayakam. Hey Ram's first choice MD was L.Subraminaim.
2. Even if IR is NOT the MD for Marmayogi, it does not *signal* anything, with respect to the KH-IR equation.
They share such an enviable relationship.

Also Aalavandhan/Abhay and Anbe Sivam. I take it that even when Kamal writes and/or produces the film, if he does not direct, then he lets the director pick the MD.

Re: modern sounds. Synth-dominated music will usually sound somewhat plastic. Combine synths with interesting loops and real instruments and the sound will potentially be more organic. Relatively recent examples of this from IR would be Elangaathu Veesuthe (Pithamagan) and Dheemi Dheemi (Shiva).

This excerpt from Baradwaj Rangan's review of Cheeni Kum soundtrack sums up how I feel:

http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2007/05/15/music-review-cheeni-kum/

LISTENING TO US Ilayaraja fans whining about his of-late overdependence on artificial sound – synth drums, synth flutes, synth everything – you’d think we’d like nothing better than to have the maestro and his MIDI interfaces separated by the space roughly occupied by the erstwhile USSR. But that’s far from it, really. We are the same people who swooned over, for instance, the portion of the second interlude of Oru Poongavanam (Agni Natchatiram) where a cushion of sinusoidal violins enveloped the discrete notes being punched out on a… synthesiser. But the synth sound there was pickle, and now it’s become the main course – and that’s our problem. We are, after all, talking about a genius of orchestral arrangement – those majestic cascades of real violins, the sharply-etched patterns of real percussion – and to see him move on from the magnificence of those man-made sounds to mere approximations facilitated by machinery is to see a lion grazing on grass. And grass, however green, is just… grass.[/tscii:76282a8186]

rooky
1st November 2007, 10:58 AM
R_F,
bilingial/trilingual AND big-budget...

Hey Ram (Critically acclaimed one of the very best of Raaja IMO but the market and masses disagreed)
Alavandhaan (Critically and commercially didnt make much noise)
Mumbai Express (IMO showcased Raaja's genius but the market and masses disagreed)

OTOH, ......

I rest my case

We are talking here only about the musical output and not the actual movies BO.

If u take that into consideration, even for ARR,

How well did "Legend of Bagathsingh, MangalPandey" fare at the BO.it did not reach the masses.ARRs' success rate w.r.to big budgetted movies is not so encouraging.

Shivaji was his first Major hit movie after a loooong time in tamil and in hindi his recent hits were GURU and RDB and bothe were not big budgetted..You may help me with his biggest big budgetted movie hits.

I do not take that point at all.It is all an illusion in the minds.

If a director like Selvaragavan could succesfully get the nod from his producers for his fav Yuvan,be it any lanuguage,Tamil, Telugu or Hindi,why not a person of the calibre of KH cannot have his say!!!

I think lot of us are both IR and KH fans.I guess, That is the reason this particular issue is being discussed at length here :)

raja_fan
1st November 2007, 11:01 AM
Edhu eppadiyo,
Suddenly I am seeing a large inflow of posts in this forum after a very long time ! :)
That's the spirit ! Come on guys ! Lets move forward with the same enthu :)

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 11:26 AM
Rooky,
You are confusing the movies' BO success with the *music's* comemrcial success. I'm talking about the music being commercially successful, irrespective of the BO result of the movies in question.

Also, i'm talking about movies which are big-budget and trilingual (1 set of movies) while you are talking about big budget movies and trilingual movies (2 diff sets of movies).

No two ways about it... Rahman is the safest choice by miles simply because he has the *widest* commercial reach in the country.
This factor will determine how much a movie is sold for in NI (im not saying it will be a guaranteed hit - musically or the movie BO - but just that the distributors will pay more if Rahman is in it).

Sanjeevi
1st November 2007, 12:30 PM
Even director Murugadoss said, I wanted worked with genies Ilaiyaraja atleast once.

I guess, the word "atleast once" is equal to "only once"

Why :sad:?

MumbaiRamki
1st November 2007, 01:00 PM
Probably we can also state what we mean by modern sounds ..

1. In kadhal Kavithai ,The diana Diana song had very modern,new sounds.

2. In Aa Dingalu,th opening piece of Aa Dingalu also had a modern sound.

In general i guess we want more smooth Jazz kind if stuff from raaja ..

But what happens to folk - like chidambarathil oru ..had very archaic orchestration - I guess we are getting used to some kind of pattern for tunes of raaja - There are exceptions, but is it because Raaja tries to go by rules? ( as KR once said that Raaja always tries to follow the rules in composing music which is very difficult)..

Ajanta had good vintage corchestration , but still some fans didn't like that :)

MumbaiRamki
1st November 2007, 01:14 PM
One more ,it will be very interesting to compare Raaja with Vidyasagar...?

Billgates
1st November 2007, 01:19 PM
Its the new genre music which Raaja finds it impossible to digest / provide.
When his song YSRaja can quickly adopt to the changing world of music , why Dad coudnt !

MumbaiRamki
1st November 2007, 02:11 PM
"When his song YSRaja can quickly adopt to the changing world of music , why Dad coudnt !"

YSR is 26 ..Raaja is 62 :) ..Athaan ...

One more trivia : In cheeni kum , there is one where Amitabh goes to Tabu's house with ConXX in his hand and he goes back after he gets call from Tabu . In that scene a strong acid rock guitar is played , it suddenly jerked if im listening to BGM of Raaja or of some Rock Star. I will try to upload that bit ( just 10 sec) tomorrow.

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 02:18 PM
In that scene a strong acid rock guitar is played , it suddenly jerked if im listening to BGM of Raaja or of some Rock Star. I will try to upload that bit ( just 10 sec) tomorrow.
Please do, i havent watched the movie....

raja_fan
1st November 2007, 05:39 PM
R_F,
You are confusing the movies' BO success with the *music's* comemrcial success. I'm talking about the music being commercially successful, irrespective of the BO result of the movies in question.

Also, i'm talking about movies which are big-budget and trilingual (1 set of movies) while you are talking about big budget movies and trilingual movies (2 diff sets of movies).

No two ways about it... Rahman is the safest choice by miles simply because he has the *widest* commercial reach in the country.
This factor will determine how much a movie is sold for in NI (im not saying it will be a guaranteed hit - musically or the movie BO - but just that the distributors will pay more if Rahman is in it).

c_be,

It wasn't me ! It was Rooky :)

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 05:40 PM
c_be,

It wasn't me ! It was Rooky :)
I yam saari :oops:

rooky
1st November 2007, 06:48 PM
[quote]

R_F,

I do understand that.I wrote about movie's BO in reply to ur post that said about HR,Aalavandhan and MX not reaching people.

As i had posted before,the Name of the MD and the Songs are used only for marketing purpose,which interm may boost the movie's BO outcome.

My point was, even for NI producers,there are always other MDs for their big budgetted movies.Movies like Krish or Don or OSO were high budgetted and infact were dubbed to Tamil and Telugu.Those producers never saw a need to put ARR there.What i am saying is ARR doesn't become an automatic choice when it is a big budget or trilingual.

ARR definitely is succesful there up north.But, People like us from south have that illusion like big budget bilingual = ARR.I dont think the northies think that way.There is always HR, SEL, Pritam, Shantanu and many more.

Even if Rakesh roshan likes to make inroads into south,do u think he will cast ARR as MD for his films.He always has his own MD.That is what i like to see. A successful musical is possible only when the Director and the MD are in sync.

We all know what IR is capable of.With due respects to ARR, A KH-IR combo has a much better chance of succeeding than a KH-ARR combo.

We all know that we cannot influence KH or adlabs here, but nothing wrong in posting our views.

The confidence that u would have for a Shankar-IR combo is what i have for a KH-ARR combo.I would not be cribbing if KH acts for a different director and has ARR or anyone for that matter scoring music.That would be absolutely fine with me :)

app_engine
1st November 2007, 07:39 PM
crajkumar_be,

I see in your failure list of KH movies/music this ALavandhAn - well, it didn't have IR. It had the "north-hyped-up" SEL. Personally, I don't agree that it was a good score. To put it mildly - mediocre. May be that album satisfied the KH urge to sing and may be die-hard KH fans accept the now-aged-and-coarse-and-irritating KH singing.

It deserved to be ignored by public.

Even the two IR albums, HR & ME, aren't the best of KH-IR combo, in my opinion. HR had a couple of mesmerising numbers but an equal amount of irritating tracks as well. (nee pArtha & isaiyil are extraordinary, rAm rAm was ok, the others were ordinary and some of them with dialogs / slogas were plain irritating). I have similar opinion about ME also, some flashes of brilliance here and there but not jubilant.

Again both these albums suffered due to KH singing (like some great albums of IR suffered IR's singing). VirumAndi also had more or less similar fate, despite some hard work by the MD. That villupAttu track (which didn't have more than a few seconds in the movie) should have been shunned from the audio. And Kamal should have chosen SPB/HH for at least a couple of numbers. If Kamal wants the voice to suit him 100% on-screen, well, let him sing another track and have it in the OST. On the CD, though, let us have SPB/HH or someone else. Result: an opportunity wasted for IR (& KH).

Please compare the above with ARR's scores for Indian & thenAli. I'll have to agree that ARR's (or ARR-Shankar, ARR-KSR's) business acumen has helped in not having "that much irritating" numbers in the CD (despite KH singing in one of them, probably heavily edited in ARR's lab).

We need to wait and see the latest hype - 10 avatar with Himesh. Kumudam writes that TFM has never seen such mirattal violin sounds:-) Either the writer had not listened to TFM much or Himesh has done something that none of us have heard. பொறுத்திருந்து கேட்போம்...

app_engine
1st November 2007, 07:50 PM
Don't conclude by my above post that I don't like KH's voice or something like that. Some of my most-fav IR numbers had KH singing. It's just that as of date, his voice is unsuitable. Even KJY's current singing isn't top grade, unfortunately. வயசாகுது இல்லையா? அவங்க பசங்க பாடுற காலத்துல இவங்க ஒதுங்குறது நல்லது...(Unless the song calls for an old man's voice...may be some thaththuvappAdal:-))

app_engine
1st November 2007, 07:57 PM
rooky,
I think both Shankar-IR combo and KH-ARR combo will rock. Reason? IR & ARR are extraordinary musicians and Shankar & KH have good ears for music. No chemistry needed here, IMO. Sridhar had great songs from AMR, MSV & IR. He had great ears, that's about it. By that measure, even Shankar's anniyan was above-average. The music by KH-ARR combo may not suit the movie much (which is probably the case for most movies nowadays), but the CD will be great:-)

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 08:46 PM
Even if Rakesh roshan likes to make inroads into south,do u think he will cast ARR as MD for his films.He always has his own MD.That is what i like to see. A successful musical is possible only when the Director and the MD are in sync.

Rooky,
No NI MD has been successful down south (very few exceptions). Similarly is the case of the converse, again with rare exceptions.
So, naturally, when you are looking at BOTH the markets, the answer is obvious

crajkumar_be
1st November 2007, 08:56 PM
app_engine,
Whatever my opinion is, i understand that Kamal's or Ilaiyaan's voice are not the most popular :)
I love their singing of course... 8-)
That said, i agree with you that Kamal should stop singing unless its absolutely essential. enakku pudikkum ngaruthukkaga mathavanga kovamum disappointment-um aana en Thalaivar(gal)-uku thaane nattam! :razz:

However, to say that the albums you have mentioned failed commercially only because of Kamal's singing is too sweeping i'm afraid.
About the albums i had listed, i don't agree with your opinion on Hey Ram and MX.

Forget all that, there is no answer for Dil Se, Bombay, Mudhalvan or Roja (even Yuva to an extent) and thats an undeniable reality - north/south success.
Maybe someone apart from Rahman breaks the north-south jinx sometime but till that, he's the safest... Thats my point

app_engine
1st November 2007, 09:25 PM
I've never questioned ARR's success countrywide. There's no reason to state the obvious. However, I don't think mudhalvan was a success in NI. And the other movies that you've mentioned also has the MR factor. When I think more about it, not many ARR scores independent of MR (or Shankar) were countrywide successes. Even his much celebrated scores like Lagaan or RDB are unknowns in most part of TN (unless he had them reworked for some other "hit" Thamizh movie). However, it's a fact that he can successfully work with both NI & SI teams where IR could not, for the NI part.

Neither did I say the dismal performance of some KH albums were "only" due to Kamal's voice. Did I mean that way? I was just stating my taste. His voice may not even be a factor in their positive / negative show in the market.

Basically uninspiring songs with additional irritations (like dialogs in between etc. that may be necessary for the movie but irrelevant to the public who want a "cool" album like a typical western album that has no connection to any storyline but just independent videos...Shivaji a perfect example).

app_engine
1st November 2007, 09:38 PM
For some of such "cool" examples from Kamal movies, take SKV or Kakkisattai. Such albums will score great in market (I'm sure they'll work countrywide as well). All that Kamal has to convince Adlabs (i.e. if he wants to have IR) is "Let's remix SKV or Kakkisattai or vetRi vizha songs":-)

Dragun
1st November 2007, 09:46 PM
My point was, even for NI producers,there are always other MDs for their big budgetted movies.Movies like Krish or Don or OSO were high budgetted and infact were dubbed to Tamil and Telugu.Those producers never saw a need to put ARR there.What i am saying is ARR doesn't become an automatic choice when it is a big budget or trilingual.

Rakesh Roshan always uses his brother in some capacity, and Farah Khan went to ARR for OSO, but they could not give him the partial rights that he wanted. Farhan Akhtar has so far been an SEL loyalist. I think most directors want to work with ARR, but he only does a few films each year, so they will form relationships with other MDs. Also, depending on the film, ARR might not be appropriate or he might be underused.

raja_fan
1st November 2007, 10:17 PM
We will soon get the answers at

www.marmayogi.com

app_engine
1st November 2007, 11:12 PM
Digression...
Whether Raja is going to score for this movie or not, the title of this movie is not a big favourite to me:-( The same goes for the other Kamal venture 10 avatar. Can't these guys get any new name for their movies, why dig deep into archives?

If they can't be even creative enough to put together a new title, how much creativity can you expect in the content? araichcha mAvu + new technology is all one can expect. Same goes for music too - remix or copy notes + ultra modern equipment to give "sounds" is what we're going to get...

We can understand if some 3rd grade producer / artists do such things, but difficult to digest a colossal talent like Kamal falling into this rote...(சதி லீலாவதின்னு முன்னும் இதே வேலை செய்திருக்கிறார்...)
End-digression

kiru
2nd November 2007, 05:45 AM
Folks,
Its been a long time since I posted here.
But I still read the pages as I feel so many of you have very interesting and valid points all the time.
Its a pleasure to read posts on IR's music here for me.
Some things I wanted to share -

1. Young directors not able to work with IR because of age - this is a misleading argument. It is not 'age' - it is lack of knowledge of music. For eg. Let the director guess the raaga of a tune that IR comes up with promptly ..IR will surely wake up from his reverie and will be all ears.
2. Modern sounds - many people weighed in here. IR is quite capable and has proven it many times, good eg. rap in Vikram movie. It was a different social situation those days. ARR came on to the scene on that very platform itself, whereas IR comes totally from a strong music/tune background.
3. Nothing wrong in IR being 'down and out' - pazhaiya kazhidhalum , pudhiyana puguthalum iyalbE - This does not mean new is superior to old ones always.
I like ARR songs as well..some fun songs..ARR has always been associated with 'cool' ..but somehow when I sit down to listen to music seriously ..my choice is IR's. Pre-IR, the music was more poignant, that generation, probably felt IR's music was 'light'...My teens in the 80s were associated with bharathiraja's concept of love and the music of IR..maybe the current generation's concept of love is different..the new generation's outlook is different..more fun and outgoing and positive..maybe even love is not serious..maybe it is all about relationships..that can possibly end or change..unlike the cast in stone love of those days..the music probably goes with this mindset...

crajkumar_be
2nd November 2007, 07:19 AM
Digression...
Whether Raja is going to score for this movie or not, the title of this movie is not a big favourite to me:-( The same goes for the other Kamal venture 10 avatar. Can't these guys get any new name for their movies, why dig deep into archives?

If they can't be even creative enough to put together a new title, how much creativity can you expect in the content? araichcha mAvu + new technology is all one can expect. Same goes for music too - remix or copy notes + ultra modern equipment to give "sounds" is what we're going to get...

We can understand if some 3rd grade producer / artists do such things, but difficult to digest a colossal talent like Kamal falling into this rote...(சதி லீலாவதின்னு முன்னும் இதே வேலை செய்திருக்கிறார்...)
End-digression
Can we refrain from some Kamal bashing (for a change) here?
Are you the mod????? Surprising :roll:

crajkumar_be
2nd November 2007, 07:20 AM
For some of such "cool" examples from Kamal movies, take SKV or Kakkisattai. Such albums will score great in market (I'm sure they'll work countrywide as well). All that Kamal has to convince Adlabs (i.e. if he wants to have IR) is "Let's remix SKV or Kakkisattai or vetRi vizha songs":-)
:shock: You got to be kidding!!!

raja_fan
2nd November 2007, 08:53 AM
"Let's remix SKV or Kakkisattai or vetRi vizha songs"

I don't think the songs like "Vaanile thennilaa", the songs from Vikram etc need any remix . They are already A.D.2010 at least :)

And I don't want one genius to beg to a mere business man for another genius :)

And IR has not come to such a state that he has to depend only on remixes. He has still more to offer fresh ! That is what we are seeing at least in Malayalam and Telugu :)

crajkumar_be
2nd November 2007, 09:00 AM
I don't think the songs like "Vaanile thennilaa", the songs from Vikram etc need any remix . They are already A.D.2010 at least :)

No one, i repeat no one can have such amazing bass lines other than Ilaiyaan ! Also, we don't need N.I to accept IR's music as a sort of stamp for his greatness (it would be a great bonus if they do, thats a diff matter)....

I'm sure A_E was just kidding because
1) There is no way in the world the N.I audience are going to like or even "understand" such songs IMO
2) IMO its ridiculous to think of remixing arbit songs from an arbit film without even considering what kind of film Marmayogi is going to be...
Yes, A_E must be kidding :)

Billgates
2nd November 2007, 09:07 AM
The Northies werent short of some high quality western music as someone points out here ! Surprising to hear

R.D.Burman had scaled very high peaks early in the 70s and late 60s with some scintillating western music.

He infac pioneered the use of chords / bass heavily in NI music .

raja_fan
2nd November 2007, 01:58 PM
Billgates,

Yes ! The northies you were talking about should have become old now ! Those who were fortunate to hear the likes of Naushad, S.D.Burman, R.D.Burman, Salil etc.

We are talking about the northies after that starting from the times of Bappi through Annu Malik, Anand Milind and to the latest "wailing Himesh" .

K
2nd November 2007, 05:52 PM
"Let's remix SKV or Kakkisattai or vetRi vizha songs"

And I don't want one genius to beg to a mere business man for another genius :)

And IR has not come to such a state that he has to depend only on remixes. He has still more to offer fresh ! That is what we are seeing at least in Malayalam and Telugu :)

Most of the songs of Raja can be re recorded with Latest equipments rather than remixed, you will find its depth. There are instrumental versions of Raja songs are sold in CDs you can listen them and find what a composer he is.

app_engine
2nd November 2007, 10:13 PM
Well, while it was on a lighter vein, I'm definitely not kidding about SKV et al. That has recently been successfully exploited / proven by Balki. Well, it has not started off a series of Balki-alikes lining up with IR (or may be we don't know, IR may be discouraging such), nevertheless a commercially savvy concept...(and not new anyways, just a more honest form...remember tu-tu-tara, dhak-dhak, paiyElE chum chum & O priyA priyA?)

app_engine
2nd November 2007, 10:20 PM
And about arbitrary song for arbitrary situation...well, if 'mandRam vandha thendRal' can become 'cheeni kum', why not other popular numbers? I don't see iLamai idhO idhO not working for any new dance number...(I think somebody already did a commercial on this for coke, was it Balki?)