PDA

View Full Version : Currency Exchange Rates

maithree
13th May 2007, 12:40 AM
What're the Exchage Rates (Foreign - Indian) that are offered in India?

For Ex: I know that $1 = 43 Rupees, but after the Exchange Rates thingys it comes to around 40 rupees. Like that what is it for other currencies? Singaporean, Malaysian, UK, Euro, Australian etc.

And what's the most Profitable way to about it? I hear that different Banks and Foreign Exchange places give different rates. :?

dev
13th May 2007, 01:22 PM
Hi Maithree,

Banks or other currency traders charge overheads,commission / profit margin in currency exchange... They'll have a buy rate & sell rate for the currency...ie the rate at which they buy currency & a rate at which they sell a particular currency... Most of the currency exchange rate that we get from webistes like xe.com etc are mid-market rates...ie the average of the buy & sell rate on that particular day/time... So we'll never get the same rate when we exchange with banks or even on xe.com etc... You can always chk the buy/sell rate & calculate how much U'll get for the exchange... there are no hidden charges & U should get at whatever rate they have displayed at the time of exchange... This applies to all currencies....

To get the best rate, U can chk with diff banks,currency traders & see who gives you the best rate & stick to them... Sometimes you can even negotiate with the currency traders to get better rates... If you don't understand at what rate it is exchanged, ask them to explain it... most of them will show you how they calculated it... Don't feel bad to ask abt such things as it's better to look like a fool once by asking such Qs than being ignorant forever...:)

maithree
14th May 2007, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the Info Dev Maam. :D Yeah, I've been looking on different sites of banks and stuff like ICICI, Citibank etc. xe.com huh..I've never heard of that one before..:oops: I'll check it out. :D

Thanks again.

dev
14th May 2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the Info Dev Maam. :D Yeah, I've been looking on different sites of banks and stuff like ICICI, Citibank etc. xe.com huh..I've never heard of that one before..:oops: I'll check it out. :D

Thanks again.

I too have not used XE to exchange currencies but whenever I need to chk the rate, I chk on XE...:)

NOV
5th December 2010, 07:15 PM
The best site for converting currency:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/