PDA

View Full Version : ANY question you've ever wanted answered about ARR!

Yathu
19th April 2007, 05:57 PM
Do you have any questions about ARR or his music or ANYTHING at all related to him? If so please POST THEM HERE!

:idea: I'm sure someone out there has the answer. :idea:

Theres NO SHAME in asking! It doesn't make you any less of an A. R. Rahman fan! lol :lol:

You never know, you might learn something about ARR that you never knew before...(wishful tinking? maybe! :D )

Yathu
19th April 2007, 06:05 PM
I'll ask the first q then!

Has ARR used Bombay Jayshree for any of his songs?

I know shes a favourite of HJ and I personally think she has a really soulful and soothing voice. I'd go as far as to say shes one of my all time favourite female singers!

...but has she ever sung for ARR? :confused2: I'm sorry if da answers really obvious...this is da first question I could think of to ask! :D

sabari_in
19th April 2007, 08:23 PM
I'll ask the first q then!

I know shes a favourite of HJ and I personally think she has a really soulful and soothing voice. I'd go as far as to say shes one of my all time favourite female singers!

...but has she ever sung for ARR? :confused2: I'm sorry if da answers really obvious...this is da first question I could think of to ask! :D

Marghazhi Poove....!!!! May Madham!!!

zz
19th April 2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry Margazhi poove is by Shoba Shankar.

BJ's only song with ARR is her first song in filmdom which is "Narumugaiye" from Iruvar

rsubras
19th April 2007, 09:02 PM
dude Margazhi poove song was sung by Shoba... Bombay Jayashree sang for A.R.Rahman in the album Iruvar (the evergreen Narumugaiye song :) )

Yathu
19th April 2007, 11:38 PM
dude Margazhi poove song was sung by Shoba... Bombay Jayashree sang for A.R.Rahman in the album Iruvar (the evergreen Narumugaiye song :) )

Ow yeah how could I forget that song!! :oops: Probably because i havnt heard it in ages! Well its playing on my speakers now to make up for all that lost time! :musicsmile:

Are there any other songs that ARR has used her for?

ajaybaskar
20th April 2007, 07:04 PM
Has Rags (Oru Koodai) sung for ARR before?

Yathu
20th April 2007, 09:00 PM
Wasn't it Rags who did the rapping bit in the song 'Lucky Lucky' from the film 'Ratchagan'?

I answered your question with another question! LOL :lol:

I have another question about this Rags guy too....Is he :smokesmirk: Jamaican :smokesmirk: or Indian? Are there any pics of him online?

ajaybaskar
21st April 2007, 11:10 AM
Which is the native of ARR?

rsubras
21st April 2007, 04:33 PM
ARR's dad has scored music for a mallu film rite? did it get released....anyone have any idea about the soundtrack?

ajaybaskar
21st April 2007, 07:00 PM
ARR's dad has scored music for a mallu film rite? did it get released....anyone have any idea about the soundtrack?

Yes. It was released.

Name of the film: Yodha (Dubbed as Asokan in Tamil)
Director: Sangeeth Sivan
Starring: Mohanlal, Madhubala, jagadhi sreekumar, Puneet

The film was a disaster at the BO. Its a story about an young kerallite who travels to Nepal for certain personal reasons. He then becomes the saviour of an young lama who is worshipped as a god.

The film had 2 or 3 good numbers which sank without a trace.

Guess_Me
21st April 2007, 10:46 PM
Got it wrong, Ajay. He asked about ARR's Dad's composition.

And Yodha wasn't a failure at the BO.

sha
22nd April 2007, 12:05 AM
yodha was a big hit in kerala , actually that movie is inspired from "The Golden Child"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091129/

another rip in indian movie industry .. hiiiiiiiiiiii

but the songs from ARR is very good...

Yathu
22nd April 2007, 02:10 AM

Hes Indian isnt he? You do mean native country rite?

ajaybaskar
22nd April 2007, 12:07 PM
Avaru Indian thaannu theriyum. Somebody said he is a malayali and some say that he is a tamilan.Edhu unmainnu theriyala....

Yodha, for sure was not a big hit of lalettan. I remember films like Abhimanyu, Baratham overshadowed Yodha.

I really liked the movie and the opening number featuring lalettan and jagadhi.

lancelot
22nd April 2007, 12:38 PM
iv got a question.

since ARR was able to choose his own name, i wonder why he chose A. R. Rahman?

i mean... A.R. Rahman is his name... but Ar Rahman itself means GOD... am sure he dosent imply that hes god.... but still why that name?

may be thats one reason people don't call him Rahman... but A.R. Rahman..... people always call him with his initials....

just wondering... thats all

hehe
:D

ajaybaskar
22nd April 2007, 12:43 PM
iv got a question.

i mean... A.R. Rahman is his name... but Ar Rahman itself means GOD... am sure he dosent imply that hes god.... but still why that name?

may be thats one reason people don't call him Rahman... but A.R. Rahman..... people always call him with his initials....

hehe

Morning enna saapteenga?

lancelot
22nd April 2007, 01:04 PM
iv got a question.

hehe

Morning enna saapteenga?

nothing man... may be thats y

hehe

littlemaster1982
22nd April 2007, 08:51 PM
Lance,

I once read that his original name was changed from Dilip to Abdul Rahman. Then a saint or an astrologer(not sure abt this), who is close to his family advised them to give him a name with two initials.

Then his name was changed to AR Rahman (Allah Rakkah Rahman).

lancelot
22nd April 2007, 09:38 PM
Lance,

I once read that his original name was changed from Dilip to Abdul Rahman. Then a saint or an astrologer(not sure abt this), who is close to his family advised them to give him a name with two initials.

Then his name was changed to AR Rahman (Allah Rakkah Rahman).

well.. Abdul Rahman means servent of god... that is fine....

do u know what Allah Rakkah Means??? may be it also means servent of Allah... not sure

hehe

littlemaster1982
22nd April 2007, 09:48 PM
Lance, I checked with my friend. It means God kept his name as Rahman.

can anybody confirm?

NOV
23rd April 2007, 08:33 AM
She was in fact introduced to TFM by AR Rahman with the song narumugaiyE in the film Iruvar.

Are there any other songs that ARR has used her for?
No. She has become the aasthaana singer for HJ-Gautham combo after the first huge success of vaseegara from Minnale

Is he :smokesmirk: Jamaican :smokesmirk: or Indian? Are there any pics of him online?
No he is as Indian as AR Rahman.

He is a Tamilian born and bred in Chennai.

His father worked for Malayali MDs such as Salil Chowdury and Devarajan. He died on the day his first movie as MD was released.

He didnt, his mother did. She was a firm believer of horoscope and the name Abdul Rahman was suggested. The astrologer told her that he should use the initials AR and would then shoot to great heights. So, Dilip became AR Rahman.
AR was made Allah Rakka much later - by none other than Naushad Ali!

Dragun
23rd April 2007, 09:59 AM
R.K. Sekar's (ARR's father) films (http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/malayalam/m/music_director.977/)

MADDY
23rd April 2007, 11:29 AM
Straight from horses' mouth on why Dileep bcame Allah-Rakha-Rahman 8-)

http://rapidshare.com/files/27438257/Part_4.mp3.html

My questions for the maestro:

1. Wats his equation with Kamalhassan :roll:
2. Does he meet his fans and get their comments as well? :roll:
3. When is ur first direct kannada movie? :wink:
4. Is he aware of the humongous following he has outside TN? :cry:

NOV
23rd April 2007, 11:37 AM
1. Wats his equation with Kamalhassan
senior artiste, professional. have enjoyed working with him.

2. Does he meet his fans and get their comments as well? yes. crtiticism is welcome. cannot stand apple polishing.
also do surf selected websites to assess situation.

3. When is ur first direct kannada movie? I am ready. Are you?

4. Is he aware of the humongous following he has outside TN? Very much.
Not much different from TN. Fans and Critics too.

Dragun
23rd April 2007, 12:10 PM
How are these questions being answered? Is ARR himself answering them?

NOV
23rd April 2007, 01:36 PM
How are these questions being answered? Is ARR himself answering them? :oops: :oops2: :oops:

i imagined how ARR would have answered. :oops:

Yathu
24th April 2007, 09:58 PM
GREAT answers NOV!

Heres another one for you (or anyone else :lol: ):

What site does A. R. Rahman visit to see what his fans are saying? :D

This forum perhaps?? :wink:

NOV
25th April 2007, 07:05 AM
perhaps. ;)

Music4Ever
25th April 2007, 07:35 AM
Which one is it?

Jan 6, 1966 or Jan 6, 1967?

His D.O.B., I mean.

I think it is the first. Any first hand reports?

Wibha
25th April 2007, 07:52 AM
perhaps. ;)

:confused2:

were do you guys get such Q's to ask? :roll:

Ramakrishna
25th April 2007, 10:43 AM
perhaps. ;)

:confused2:

were do you guys get such Q's to ask? :roll:

Thaniya okkaarnthu yosippaainga :roll:

rsubras
25th April 2007, 02:33 PM
do we have any links / mp3 of the songs composed by ARR's dad... ARR has often said, his dad has enormous talent than him :)

dinesh2002
25th April 2007, 03:32 PM
but guys...i remember reading somewhere she was introed by MSV,then she sang 1 song for IR & then 1 for ARR .... itseems she sang ONLY 1 song for each, the 3 gigantic mds....

ofcource as for ARR we know she initially sang only 1 song...Narumugaye....

Yathu
30th April 2007, 08:18 PM
but guys...i remember reading somewhere she was introed by MSV,then she sang 1 song for IR & then 1 for ARR .... itseems she sang ONLY 1 song for each, the 3 gigantic mds....

ofcource as for ARR we know she initially sang only 1 song...Narumugaye....

I personally think ARR should use Bombay Jayshree more! I love the tone and sensuality of her voice!

Wibha
6th May 2007, 05:16 AM
IF not music.what would u have been today? what career would you have chosen?

MADDY
6th May 2007, 09:23 PM

he wanted to bcome a electronic engineer...........he was always attracted by tech gadgets...........he wanted to work/research on them............that interest only made him bring "state of the art" equipments into indian music 8-)

Yathu
10th May 2007, 04:37 PM

he wanted to bcome a electronic engineer...........he was always attracted by tech gadgets...........he wanted to work/research on them............that interest only made him bring "state of the art" equipments into indian music 8-)

WOW! I didn't know that....and now i do! :2thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
27th November 2008, 12:48 PM
Has Harish Raghavendra ever worked with Thalaivar?

thineshan54321
27th November 2008, 12:50 PM
Has Harish Raghavendra ever worked with Thalaivar?

nope. not to the extent of my knowledge.

MumbaiRamki
30th November 2008, 04:57 PM

Yes. It was released.

Name of the film: Yodha (Dubbed as Asokan in Tamil)
Director: Sangeeth Sivan
Starring: Mohanlal, Madhubala, jagadhi sreekumar, Puneet

The film was a disaster at the BO. Its a story about an young kerallite who travels to Nepal for certain personal reasons. He then becomes the saviour of an young lama who is worshipped as a god.

The film had 2 or 3 good numbers which sank without a trace.

Illayraaja in his biography in Dhina Danthi says this ( ~ approximate )

"I worked with Sekar in one movie.Sekar (ARR Dad) was always soaked in music . He scored few movies, they were flops - he was totally unperturbed by the failures and just focussed on music . If ARR has reached to this level of success, his Father's blessings and his genes should have got into him "

natha1729
30th November 2008, 11:34 PM
rahman's dad has scored music for many mal movies and has given many "touching and breathtaking" compositions. two of his songs are the ones most played in the lates 60s early 70s when the road side blaring was at the heights. one is by psuseela - nee ende velicham (impact and pathos similar to IR's azhagiye kanne by sj), and another by vani jayaram - aashada maasam (as memorable as IR's naane naana), these 2 songs are more entrenched than annakkilli songs of IR! sekar has given yesudas and pj a couple of amazing tunes - maan mizhikaladanchyu for pj is remarkable, and then for kjy - USHASSO SANDHAYO - extra extrordinary tunes. his style of orchestration in this song is clearly there in IR's Poovizhi vaasalil yaaradi vanthathu. sekar has done several duets. you can find it in r.k. sekhar's melodious memories sarigama release. His other popular songs are Chottanikkara bagavathy paadum naatil, achchan kovilaattile , still rooted in malayalee psyche

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 07:16 PM
long long before, there were news/rumour abt ARR with Michael Jackson...

any idea?

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 09:02 PM
That show got cancelled bcoz of MJ's illness.

SoftSword
5th January 2009, 09:04 PM
show in the sense.... was it like MJ dancing for ARRs tunes...?

ajaybaskar
5th January 2009, 09:10 PM
It was for a song called Ekam Satyam

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=tm0NjEk1xkE

jaaze
19th February 2009, 11:43 PM
Is this genuine (I believe it is, but there were many versions, and many comments saying it is fan made etc..)

SoftSword
20th February 2009, 01:02 PM
yeah.... please confirm...
mods??

directhit
20th February 2009, 02:28 PM
AFAIR the show never happened nor did the music come out - it was supposed to come out along with MJ's music release. But ironically and suspiciously neither this show nor the one MJ was supposed to be doing with Prabhu deva never materialised :evil:

ajaybaskar
14th April 2009, 11:45 AM
Is Dilne Jise Apna Kaha the only song that was composed by ARR in that film?

littlemaster1982
14th April 2009, 12:16 PM
There are two songs by ARR in that film, IIRC.

dinesh2002
14th April 2009, 07:04 PM
Is Dilne Jise Apna Kaha the only song that was composed by ARR in that film?

3 songs pa ..

1.Dil Ne Jise Aapna Kahaa
2.Jane Bahara
3.Zindagi Hai Dhuan

jaaze
20th May 2009, 01:31 PM
wow :o
I thought Bombay Jayashree has never sang for ARR (of course forgetting the voice of the great song Narumugaye :oops: )

Likewise Harish Ragavendra was also never used by ARR.

Regarding ARR's name
Allah Rakha Rahman means Iraivanaal Paathukaakkapatta Rahman (was mentioned in an interview ages ago) or God-protected Rahman.

He was named Abdul Rahman first but soon after was changed to A R Rahman.

ajaybaskar
25th August 2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7TcnBclk4

Can anybody help me with the bgm in the initial part of the clip? Was it composed by ARR? I have heard the same in an old TV serial.

Appu s
25th August 2009, 03:38 PM
AFAIR the show never happened nor did the music come out - it was supposed to come out along with MJ's music release. But ironically and suspiciously neither this show nor the one MJ was supposed to be doing with Prabhu deva never materialised :evil:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/1999/99jun29/world.htm#3

Thalaivar's interview in 2001 http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/278699863.cms
however he didnt mentioned about the concert...

lancelot
13th September 2009, 09:03 PM
does anyone know exactly what songs are A R Rahman's in Kisna?

also... can someone give me all the Uyire and Dil Se songs please. am not sure if i have all of them :)

hehe

NOV
13th September 2009, 09:08 PM
Ennuyire Ennuyire - Srinivas , Sujatha
Nenjinele Nenjinile - S. Janaki
Poongatrile - Unni Menon , Swarnalatha
Santhosa Kanneere - A.R.Rahman , Anuradha , Febi
Thaiya Thaiya - Sukhwindher Singh , Suba
Thaiya Thaiya - Hariharan , Srinivas

ajaybaskar
13th September 2009, 09:13 PM

also... can someone give me all the Uyire and Dil Se songs please. am not sure if i have all of them :)

hehe

Hum hain is pal..

lancelot
13th September 2009, 09:37 PM

hehe

Hum hain is pal..

thats it? what about My Wish Come True?
hehe
:d

lancelot
13th September 2009, 09:39 PM
Ennuyire Ennuyire - Srinivas , Sujatha
Nenjinele Nenjinile - S. Janaki
Poongatrile - Unni Menon , Swarnalatha
Santhosa Kanneere - A.R.Rahman , Anuradha , Febi
Thaiya Thaiya - Sukhwindher Singh , Suba
Thaiya Thaiya - Hariharan , Srinivas

thanx NOV, but 2 Thaiya Thaiya's? hmm
hehe
:d

jaaze
13th September 2009, 09:50 PM
2 versions of thayya thayya were released lancelot :D
but one version (srinivas) has no touch of arr in it.. me thinks its an unofficial version :)

Benny Lava
13th September 2009, 10:39 PM
but one version (srinivas) has no touch of arr in it.. me thinks its an unofficial version :)

That was the only song I regularly skipped in the whole album. Now wondering whether I should revisit it.. Kandipa edhachum irundhirukkum :)

littlemaster1982
14th September 2009, 11:43 AM

That was the only song I regularly skipped in the whole album. Now wondering whether I should revisit it.. Kandipa edhachum irundhirukkum :)

That was good too. Andha pattukku enna kuraichal :roll: With minimal instrumentation, thalaivar had brought the same effect 8-)

Wibha
14th September 2009, 11:47 AM

Srinivas version's really good. You should listen to it :)

ajaybaskar
14th September 2009, 11:48 AM
ARR was the one who composed it. I dont have a doubt.

lancelot
14th September 2009, 12:27 PM
can someone give me the song please
hehe

AudazJay
14th September 2009, 03:24 PM
There was once a news that Sukhvinder couldn't pronounce most of the Tamil words in Thaya Thaya. As such ARR had to use singer Sriram's voice in the background to match Sukhvinder's voice.
In fact, when you hear the song closely, you could hear the distant voice of the other guy but til date, I have no clue of the authenticity of the news. Anyone with info? Who is this Sriram anyway?

ajaybaskar
14th September 2009, 03:30 PM
hehe

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zvvdjgh2jm1/thayya.mp3

dinesh2002
14th September 2009, 05:33 PM
There was once a news that Sukhvinder couldn't pronounce most of the Tamil words in Thaya Thaya. As such ARR had to use singer Sriram's voice in the background to match Sukhvinder's voice.
In fact, when you hear the song closely, you could hear the distant voice of the other guy but til date, I have no clue of the authenticity of the news. Anyone with info? Who is this Sriram anyway?

I believe Sriram's voice was given priority and Sukhwinder's was minimized allooott... u can hear him like singing from the back only, and ofcource some parts of the song.

littlemaster1982
16th September 2009, 07:46 PM

"Palakkad" Sriram had already sung Vetri Kodi Kattu, Thiruppachi Aruvaala for ARR. Latest was "Liquid Dance" from SDM.

Scale
17th September 2009, 12:26 PM
Balesh credited for Shehnai in Yaar Mila- Blue @0.14 for such a short piece ??

How about hosting samples in your website from the forthcoming releases like Ravana, Enthiran. I dont think any producer would object.

lancelot
18th September 2009, 05:02 AM
hehe

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zvvdjgh2jm1/thayya.mp3thank you. loved it!!! :)
hehe

lancelot
18th September 2009, 05:04 AM
imdb says that Karuthamma was in 1995, after the likes of Roja, Thiruda Thiruda and Gentleman and a few others

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006246/

is this correct? i thought that Karuthamma was way before Roja. can someone give me a time line of A R Rahman's albums?

hehe

littlemaster1982
18th September 2009, 07:10 AM
Lance,

Check this Wiki link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._R._Rahman_discography) for ARR's discography.