PDA

View Full Version : what happened to K.S.Chitra?

Oldposts
26th December 2004, 08:58 AM
Topic started by Sangeeth (@ aca33738.ipt.aol.com) on Tue Aug 21 09:55:48 EDT 2001.

Last heard her in Kandukondain kandukondain. She must have sang couple of other songs after KKKK, but none became a hit. Looks like our MDs prefer
Sujatha and Sadhana over chitra.None of the recent releases (except for dil)has her name.
Is her reign over?

Oldposts
She has sung one good song in Vidyasagar's 'Dhill' .,

But she is finding less no. of songs, thats very true :-((

KJY, IR, SPB, Now KSCyaa ?
(Ayyo adikka varaatheenga ....... :-)

NagaS

Oldposts
Naga, neengka chonnathu unnmaitham. ethukum oru period undu. athai thaandi yaarum poka mudiyaathu. athanala avangka thakuthi kuraivu enru porul illai. neengka mela chonna athanai perum kodi kattip parandthavangkathaan. inaikuk kodi kattip parakiravangka naalaiku iruka maatangka.
in my opinion chitra is vani jayaram no 2. spb is tms no2. kjy is pbs no2. sj is ps no2. swarnalatha is lre no2.
now no3s are getting ready to loose to no4s. avalavuthaan.

Oldposts
g. raghavan: saNdai Arambam :-))) chithrA is vj no.2? no way (please dont insult ksc :-) ). she is ps no.2 :-)) talking about spb and tms, even spb's voice sounds (to me) feminine when compared to tms's. i was listening to avaL paRandhu pOnALE this morning; pbs who starts the song beautiful starts appearing to be a wimp once tms enters! vidu joot :-))))))

Oldposts
Chitra....the P.Suseela...number2 is busy in malayalam and kannada films .Till recently she was busy in Telugu but no longer....In tamil she records maximum 10 songs a year...Avale Solrale...Enakkaga TFM il MDS wait pannina kalam malai yeripochunnu....
By the way she sang one good number with Mano ...BRAMMA..BRAMMA...in Ninaikkadha Nalillai...Which confirms once again she is next only to Suseela...TNS

Oldposts
Raghavan sir,
Enna neenga??Five comparison threads arambikka vendiya vishayathai oru postingla waste panreengaley??..:-)
I was listening to "kannalane" from Bombay recently in which i could find Chithra gasping for breath inbetween.I have seen her in stage performances also struggling for breath..
But her voice is my fav till now..:-)..Her voice is like from a teenager and it suits Revathi very well..I love Chitra singing for Revathi..:-)
I cudnt digest telling swarna as LRE num 2..Swarna is far more better in anubavithu paduthal than LRE IMHO.I hated LRE's voice as much i loved Chitra's voice..:-)
Wont comment on other num2 and num1 comparisons..:-)

Oldposts
The decline of chitra ia directly proportional to the decline of ilayaraja. She was at her best during Ir's SUPREME music in 80's and early 90's. most of the new composers are behind young blood now. No wonder many greats like SPB,KJY ....are not heard anywhere nowaday's.

Oldposts
Sad to hear that. Has she been totally side-lined? Please do not tell me that her replacement is Sadhana Sargam.

Oldposts
kannan even IR doesnt use chitra any more. She sang one song in kannukuL nilavu(which could be on fazils request). None of his other recent releases has chitra.
I hope ARR has a given a song or 2 to chitra in parthale paravasam, as chitra is KBs fav singer.

Oldposts
Please don't write off Swarnalatha already. She just gave some beautiful songs with Vidyasagar.

Oldposts
I think Kannimaru from Kaathal Saathi is sung by Chitra.

Oldposts
I think Kannimaru Kovilile from Kaathal Saathi is sung by Chitra. A nice, sweet song.

Oldposts
Please ignore my above postings. Kannimaru is sung by Harini.

Oldposts
Rating of Female singers as per their busy schedule in TFM as on date...
Sujatha
Sadhana
Swarnalatha
Anuradha
Chitra
Harini
mahalakshmi
Kavitha subramanian
S.Janaki
Sandhya
Jayasree
Many new singers have come recently recording their share also...TNS.
Sandhya

Oldposts
hihi - chandaiyellam onnum illai. I tried to map the popularity of singers of different period. that is all.

PS was with MSV from the first.
SJ was with IR from the first.
TMS was with MSV from the first.
SPB was with IR from the first.
PBS was with MSV from the first.
KJY was with IR from the first.
LRE was introduced by KVM and well utilized by MSV.
Swarnalatha was introduced by MSV and well utilized by IR.
VJ was introduced by MSV when he was in peak. VJ was used by IR also and her popularity (market popularity and not talent. replace popularity wherever used) went down with MSV.
KSC was introduced by IR when he was in peak. KSC was used by ARR also and her popularity went down with IR.
This is the comparision. Not their voice quality or modulations or some other thing.

Oldposts
There is a good song by Chitra in "Naan paada ninaippathellaam". Available in www.musicindiaonline.com , the whole album is pretty neat except for Shankar's song.

Oldposts
One more comparison on VJ and KSC.
VJ got national award (in MSV's music) for KB's classical based movie Apoorva Raagangkal.
KSC got national award (in IR's music) for KB's classical based movie Sindthu Bairavi.

Oldposts
Chitra is "the" songstress in MFM. She has sung some breathtaking numbers in MFM. And I wonder if thee is any immediate replacement for Chitra in MFM since Sujatha still seems to be not getting many songs there.

In tamil, when it comes to a semi-classical song chitra is still the option that MDs go for. Harini seems to be the next and all others are still "catching up". I wonder if there is any other person who can render KaNNaaLanE / Kehnaa hai kyaa with the she has imparted.

In the annals of TFM names of PS,SJ and KSC will remain imprinted forever.

Oldposts
typo : with the bhaava she has imparted.

Oldposts
MS,
I fully agree with you.You are absolutely right and made the point. Chithra is a great singer and sincere music lovers are all proud to have a singer of her calibre in our music scene.

Oldposts
in short,
my list of

lady singers who need to be given lesser opportunities than they are getting now:
sadhana sargam, malgudi Subha(when used in all those gana songs), bhavathaarini, Vasundhra das(she has learnt hindustani, please test that side of her..ayoo pathikichellam kudukaatheenga pa, venumna hindila paadattum), Anuradha sriram(overrated thanks to Deva and Karuppu thaan pudicha colouru)

singers who badly need to be given more songs:
KSC, Swarnalatha(badly used by anybody except IR), Sujatha(she is not high in my list though)

Oldposts
I also think that these singers being given less opportunities is due to a lot of things:

1. trend of present day songs - more of pop, less classical, melody-oriented songs..

(when is the last time an album like Sindhubairavi was released in the last 10 years?? no music based films, plain insipid love stories coming out one after another with no scope for good music..)

2. ARR the trendsetter, introducing dime-a-dozen singers and all of them vanishing after 1 or 2 songs? Caroline, Anupama, Febi, clinton, noel, and countless others..I feel that ARR does this for 2 reasons..one to have HIS stamp firmly on his songs and not let someone like SPB overshadow with his sheer singing abilities and secondly its a cheap "gimmick"..like how people fell for Suckwindher Singh in salaam gulaamu..

and others are just follwing suit..

Oldposts
Chitra is my favourite singer and I believe no one can replace her.I firmly believe CHITRA IS THE BEST.Its true that she is not getting so many songs,may be 'coz she is busy with her kid.All other reasons are non-sense.She is a very talented person and can sing any type of songs.She is still the no:1.

Oldposts
It happened for many right from P Leela, Jikki, Jamuna RaNi, L R Eswari....P. Susheela... Vani Jayaram... S.Janaki. How about the downfall of TMS and even KJY and these days for SPB. We all can say that they are legends and no one can replace them. Fully agree with this that no one's voice can replace the history creators like the above mentioned singers. But we need to accept that young talents are to be encouraged and new voices to be in the rise. Obviously the old will slowly vanish and new comes in.. It so happened in PS, SJ and KJY that they played very long innings than any other artists. But now, their span is just 10 - 12 years, which may even reduce as the time goes. So, instead of cribbing that the legends are not being given songs, let us be happy with listening to their good old melodies besides cheering the young artists.

Hope I have not hurt anyone's feelings :-)

Oldposts
kschitra is a major zombie. no life in her songs. bwood couldn't wait to show her the door. sumbody feed her b4 she goes into recording studio next time. LOL!

Oldposts
Sam,
Shut-up. Do you know what play back singing is all about ?. Please listen to her songs before making any wild statements like this.

1. Kannallanee... (Bombay)
2. Uyireee.... (Bombay)
3. Enesai Padivaram (Tullatha Manmum Tullum).
4. Ethetho Ennam Vallarthen...

Please listen to these songs before making your judgement.

Oldposts
Dorai:
think twice b4 u tell someone to shut up. i have listened to enuf of the zombie renditions. they all sound like a dying lizard tryin to sing. take a hike

Oldposts
Sam,
You don't like any TFM singers including KJY, SPB, UnniK, Hariharan... Tell me what your expectations are ?.

If you rate KSC as zombie, then the whole bunch of bollywood singers are nothing but crapy....

Oldposts
Sam:

Chitra is a zombie huh? Tell me what do you mean by that? She is a singer of superlative calibre and great commitment. A person who values music will find her voice and her singing style/ presentation to be quite literally miraculous, emotion-filled and unchallenged in its own right. In thread after thread, you keep insulting talented and legendary artists . We all know you hate all these singers, and since you have voiced your opinion, please stop it, will you? Allow people who enjoy and value Chitra's calibre to discuss her music.

I wouldnt mind if you were to be objective in your criticism of her singing, but you are not. You are just posting to irritate others and insult great artists!

Oldposts
Congrats on KSChitra's new daughter.

Oldposts
dorai: compare shreya's songs from julie ganapathy to the any chitra songs. u can feel life and expression in shreyas songs but all u feel is flatness in chitra's songs. if u deny that u r being biased coz every one will agree wid me.

okey av. you have voiced ur praise. u stop the repeated praise i stop the repeated criticism. deal?

Oldposts
Sam,
Shreya Gowsal is no doubt a good singer. I have not listened to her song in Julie Ganapathy, but have listened to her songs in Solla Marantha Kathai and Devdas. But she is definetly not in the same caliber yet as Chitra is. May be she needs more experience and time.

KSC is a unique playback singer with a very deep expression of emotions in her songs. Listen to Kannamoochi Yennada (Kandukonden..Kandukonden) and you will see the clear emotions of a female expressing her love. Same with Kannalanee...(Bombay).

I like all good singers be it Shreya or Kavitha Krishnamurthy, Asha, Latha. A song is not rated just by the singers voice alone, but more of the expression and emotions exhibited by the singer. This will apply to Udit Narayan who's voice is not so sweet, but I like him so much because of his excellent presentation and involvement in singing (only in Hindi Songs).

Oldposts
K.S.CHitra is the number one singer in Kannada Film INdustry, Almost in every album yuou can find her name. She is the top female singer in KFM. Top male siger is SPB.
But still Chitra struggles to match high notes.
She has a good voice.

Oldposts
Pranav,
Good observation. But, I defer on your opinion on her difficulty "to match high notes". She raises her voice/intensity when singing in high pitch and sound like struggling. But, actually she is in my opinion not really struggling. A good example of a singer struggling in high notes is Mano. You can see the Mano's voice literally shattering in high note/pitch. But Chitra's voice remains unshattered in high/low pitch. It's just that she raises her intensity when singing high pitch notes.

Oldposts
I don't agree that Chitra sounds bad at high pitch. Listen to "madhuram gaayathi" from Chaithra Geetangal. RajaG, where are you? Can you upload this song for everyone again?

Chitra is excellent in semiclassical songs. I always used to feel that VJ was the best in semiclassical songs in SIFM, until I heard Chitra. And how it has changed my life! The songs she has sung for M B Srinivasan, Raveendran, Bombay Ravi et al in Malayalam are superlative instances of voice control, pitch variation and have a complexity that is perhaps unmatched even by the songs of KVM, MSV for VJ. In particular, Chitra's songs for Sharath are "deliciously complex".

Chitra's voice today is the best. IMO, she is the finest voice in India as of today. VJ is very much around but there is a slight quiver and change in tenor in her voice with age. Chitra's voice is much fresher (she being younger).

Oldposts
For those challenged to read the implicit or the emotional ones, be assured that the above post was IMOO :-)

Oldposts
Chitra has been away from TFM for the past year due to her new born 'Nandana' as the baby is called.. She will soon be back in al her glory

Oldposts
I like many of Chitra's songs under IR's baton...of ARR's I like 'hoo lalaalaa'. 'Kannaalane' is good but boring...

Oldposts
Whoever comes no one can replace KS CHITRA

Oldposts
Yes,Chithra can never be replaced. Her singing quality is one which touched the highest position of excellence and she will always be there.
Congratulations to chithra, for the arrival of her daughter.

Oldposts
All those who think Chithra sounds bad at higher octaves - please listen to the Malayalam song "Yamuna nadhi ozhukum suprabhatham" from the movie Devadaasi. The song was composed by Sharath and as AV put it, it is a deliciously complex composition, done full justice to by KSC. This song was discussed by MS in another chithra thread which didn't see the light of the day since god knows how long!

Just plain stating that KSC sounds bad or cannot reach the higher notes is no good. One needs to substantiate one's point with some valid examples.

Oldposts
Not so long ago I was watching old tamil song videos from the late 80s and early 90s, most of which were by KS Chitra. These songs had gone forgotten as I hadnt heard them for so many years. But after hearing them, I remembered what a brilliant singer she was then and still is today. Some of these songs were: -
Thathithom (Azhagan)
Vanthean (Azhagan)
Thudikirrathe (Azhagan)
Thulliyile Aada Vantha (Chinna Thambi)
Anna malai (Anna malai)
Naan Oru Sindhu (Sindhu Bhairavi)
Paadariyean (Sindhu Bhairavi)

One of KSC's most recent songs that I have heard is Sollathaan Ninnakirean (Kadhal Sugamanathu). Its funny, because in one of the tamil song videos, Chitra was singing for Manorama. During the early 90s I think her voice was best suited for Kushboo and Revathi. Today, I would say that her voice goes very well for actresses Simran, Sneha and Laila. Anyone else agree?

Oldposts
I miss Chitra in TFM! Whenever I hear a Sadhana Sargam song in Tamil, I can't help feel that Chitra would have taken those songs to a new level. Iamgine "Enna soli pAduvatho", "VAnavilley" or "Snehidhane" by Chitra?
She keeps singing a few numbers in Hindi every now and then. The latest Hindi song of hers I think was from the film, Agni Varsha. It has a very melodious duet: "Dole re man mora dole re". Listen to the subtle improvisations she does. How I wish she's back in full form in Tamil!!!

Arun,
Sadly the days of actresses dubbing in their own voice is over. Filmmakers don't care a damn if they can speak or not, aslong as they can show their midriff, shake a leg or two and make distorted facial expressions (remember Jyotika made a cerer out of this). You can probably say the singer's voice suits Savitha, Hema Malini, Uma, Anuradha etc. (who are dubbing artists and the voices behind most front-line heroines today, be it films or TV serials).

I guess the recent exceptions are Kannathil MuthamittAl & Five Star

Oldposts
Dear av,
Thank you for your posts. I didn't mean that she cannot reach High pitch notes. But as she reaches higher notes her voice becomes some what shrill. But I didn't ssay that she can never sing in high notes. I have heard so many songs of KSC.
If you have heard "Kannamoochi " from Kandukondain... , then you can observe her voice becoming very shrill in between. I can't explain that in english. I am not getting that word on English. In kannada it is called " KEERALU DHWANI".
One song in KAnnada, from the movie Durga Shakti "Om SAkthi Jay Shakthi", a 14 min song, here also in last 2 lines of 1st and 2nd para , her voice changes . That part is bad.
Here I am not telling that she is a bad singer. She is the best among new comers( like Anuradha Sriram, Shreya, Anupama,Kalpana). She is having smooth silky melodious voice.
So many songs of chitra are very soothing and melodious.

Oldposts
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2003/02/27/stories/2003022700370203.htm

Oldposts
Chitra is just blessed wwith a new daughter & has taken time out as the baby is born after a long gap of 16 years of marriage.Right now her priority is the baby....she has reduced her singing assignments

Oldposts
Congrats to Chithra on the arrival of Chithra Jr. Its true that she's given birth to a child after many many years - glad to hear a good news!

Oldposts
I've read a few interview of chitra, not even once have i read any great words about IR from here - she is all praise for dasettan and rahman all the time! some singer. she even has great regard for rdburman!!!

Oldposts
Your mentor,little girl!
You are totally mistaken. Chithra gives high respect to IR always.She has always made it a point to mention in her interviews about the great leap forward which IR gave her through the
"Sindhubhairavi" national award song.Go to her web site www.chithra.com and read what she speaks about IR.
About three years back, Chithra's own recording studio was inaugurated at Chennai. Do you know who inaugurated that?It was IR who inaugurated her studio.This itself shows how much respect she gives to Ilayaraja.

Oldposts
Hi peterpan,
Found your remarks very interesting.I too agree with you

Oldposts
I beg to differ the opinions of 'Your mentor, little girl'. Chithra was one person who had
constantly stuck to her praises of Yesudas and IR. Infact when there was this initial ARR wave, everyone were in praises of ARR but Chithra still had words about IR only and this is something really nice - not forgetting the past. There has not been one interview where she has omitted to mention about IR.

Oldposts
Chitra has sung more than 15000 songs because her voice has reached millions and loved by people. Just because someone has posted the message her legacy will not be questioned. She always had respect for IR no question abt that.

Oldposts
Chithra has won two important awards for her Malayalam songs which were announced recently.One is the Kerala State Film Award(announced today) which was given for her song"Karmukil Varnande chundil" from the musical hit film "Nandanam". The other award given is also for the song from the same film "Nandanam"- "Mauliyil Mayil Peeli charthi" (a song sung in 'Mohanam' ragam). Both these songs are of excellent class.

The film has another great and excellent song sung by KJY -the song "Sreela Vasantham" sung in "Yamankalyani" ragam.KJY appears in the film singing this song. He ends this song with a pallavi recitation of "Krishna Nee Vegane" which is also always sung in "Yamakalyani" ragam.

Film " Nandanam "is the recent biggest musical hit in Malayalam. The music is by Raveendran.

Oldposts
Forgot to add, the second award Chithra has won is the Mathrubhumi-Medimix award.

Oldposts
Glad to hear the news.

Oldposts
BTW can anyone post the telugu version of "Kavithai kelungal"? (sung by SPB and KSC). I have heard that KSC has done a simply superb job.

Oldposts
Here's the link for the song. Song name "kavitha chilakindhi"

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=A0000017 (http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=A0000017
)

Somehow, I like Tamil version better. It's a pretty good song and Revathy is great in the song.

Oldposts
chithra is the queen of tamil,telugu,malayalam,kannada music industries

after a gap of about one yr because of her giving birth to a daughter she is now bang with a score of songs for the films
lesa lesa(harris jeyaraj)
saamy(harris jeyaraj)
kadal sadugudu(deva)
parthiban kanavu(vidhya sagar)
inidhu inidhu kadal inidhu(devi sri prasad)
kashmir(deva)
sivagami(deva)

hope she continues her form

one request for ilayaraja plz dont use sadhana
voice for more than one song in a film
her voice is not suited for tamil songs.
plz use ur greatest discovery of voice in tamil film "chinnakuyil's " voice.

one more thing is that chithra has not sung any numbers for illayaraja's both sons

any one know wat is the truth behind this

Oldposts
Chitra has not sung - Kavithai Kelungal it is a solo by Vani Jayram - Punnagai mannan

Oldposts
Recently chitra has sung some good songs iN Kannada also -
The moive - Heart Beats has a nice song by Chitra .

Oldposts
Karthik, that was exactly my doubt - "Why Chithra hasnt sung for IR's sons". I have created a thread too for this. True about Sadhana Sargam - though she has a great voice, her pronounciation is not apt. Maybe its not her fault. The lyricist and music directors should ensure this. PS & Chithra did not know Tamizh initially but their rendition and pronounication were flawless.

Oldposts
u r right pranav, but she has sung the telugu version of "kavithai kelungal". And she has done an equally creditable job.

Oldposts
Hi everybody, now I think Chitra is back, recently I saw one ARR show in Chennai, her voice still the best, she have sing in samy.. ithu thana ithu thana... its look like sad songs, somepart cheerful and its shows a gils "yeakum" good job Chitra..About Sadhana, she as good voice, may be the way she pronounse make song a bit different (interesting)She has done good job in Julai Malargeleh, Divana .. ya i like her songs too.. any updates about chitra, please let me know, any chitra's email or even other singer please let me know.... another wonderful singer is Swarnalatha. Normally there is time frame for singers, after sometimes they will go off, but until now swarnalatha still giving a wonderful songs.. i admire her.. any info about her pls let me know, couse very hard to get about her.

Oldposts
hi friends,

Chitra is superb & evergreen singer.
she had won National Awards for 5 times, if Iam not mistaken.better than lataji...

She will sing ..
I will supprt her..

nowadays, you cannot hear singer voice, the music and bit ate them up...

when chitra sings, we could hear the lyrics nicely..a good tamil also

Chitra rules

hopr to sing in Raaja's sons music soon..

Vicky

Oldposts
chithra has sung a song with arunmozhi in kalyana galatta under yuvan shankarraja's music. the film was released few years ago, which was sathyaraj,kushboo& manthra in the lead roles.

Oldposts
Ragu, I think one of the singers (I think you are referring to the child-like voice for Kushboo) is Sujatha and not Chithra.

Oldposts
Chithra won the Asianet award for the best malayalam female play back singer just about a week back.

Chithra is very buzy with her 1 year and 3 months old daughter Nanadana;in spite of that, she also sings quite regularly in many languages .There is a flow of new singers everywhere in every language, but voice / melody of a singer like Chithra is one which will always be remembered and appreciated even after years or decades.

Oldposts
can anyone post me her mail me her postal address and phone number i had been hunting this for years and yet not reached her.please help me.

Oldposts
Even though KSC isn't getting as much offers as she used to get there's no doubt that she is the best singer around.The way she handles classical as easily as a melody or a fast number is unmatchable.

K S CHITRA IS THE BEST

Oldposts
Have you all heard the "ANANDHAM" title song in Sun TV? That's by Chitra.

Oldposts
No one can deny that Chitra is great singer. She has sung great songs for Iliayaraja and A R Rahman. Her first national award was for IR’s Sindhu Bhairavai. No one can denay how great that song is. In AR’s score she won for Minsara Kanavu – Tamil. In Hindi she won for Virasat – Score by Anu Malik. Virasat which is a remake of Devar Magan for which Janaki amma won national Award. She has also won for 2-3 songs in Malayalam. Recently she sung 8 songs for Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon in hindi. She had her baby recently so she has not sung much.

That doesn’t mean Sadhana Sargam should not sing in Tamil. She sings excellent. There are instances where she pronounces some words differently like in IR song “Vanaville..” from the movie Ramana. Her great tunes in tamil are in AR’s movies. Konkum Minakale… and Snehidane Snehidane…

Oldposts
K.S.Chitra is the evergreen singer of india,after Lataji.she is a wonderful singer.good pronounciation in any language is her plus point than Lataji.k.s.chitra is our pride.
national awards-5times(1985,1986,1988,1996,1997)
kerala state(14times-1985-1995,1999,2001,2002)
karnataka(3times)
andhra(7times)
tamil(?3times)
and many other fans association&private awards.
she is the only indian singer who got special grami award.

Oldposts
K.S.Chitra is the evergreen singer of india,after Lataji.she is a wonderful singer.good pronounciation in any language is her plus point than Lataji.k.s.chitra is our pride.
national awards-5times(1985,1986,1988,1996,1997)
kerala state(14times-1985-1995,1999,2001,2002)
karnataka(3times)
andhra(7times)
tamil(?3times)
and many other fans association&private awards.
she is the only indian singer who got special grami award.

Oldposts
her latest hit is from the film "autograph" set to tune by bharadwaj.the song is ovvuru pookkalume and it is a rage in tamil nadu at the moment

Oldposts
Hey All:
Another Chitra fan here...Check out the new song "Tumhein Arpan", a duet by Hariharan and Chitra. Slow, Melodius and a fusion of two exemplary singers. Music director is Raju Singh. Hope the film industry will not make the mistake of being drowned in a myriad of youngsters, and not giving crucial songs like this to Chitra.

Oldposts
Hey all ,
I am so proud of our own ChitraJi.. She got this year's Bollywood award for the best playback singer (female) for the title song from Koi Mil Gaya.. which will be presented here in Atlantic city NJ, USA.. and she is having a 3 hr live performance with Shankar Mahadevan in NY for the elite of NYers..am so proud of her.. she is the only singer who has been accepted by Hindi, Oriya, Punjabi and all the four south indian languages.. her latest hindi songs include songs from "Uff Kya Jaadoo Mohabbat Hai"( Rajshri Production's 50th movie , Charas, and Fun2sshh.. I just cannot wait to see her live perforance here in NY on May 1st and 2nd.. all so excited guys..

Oldposts
Chithra is really doing well even these days in Hindi and other languages.Recently she had a concert in Muscat along with Harish
Raghavendra .It was fantastic show

Oldposts
Wow! Thanks Ashish and Kumar for the info! This goes to show that real talent never goes unappreciated. Though our music directors seem to have forgotten her, I think her fans have not going by the no. of live shows she is participating in.

Oldposts
hi friends I am a big fan of chitraji.I thins now she is the top singer of india coz she can sing almost all the languages,which lata or other singers failed to do so.ppl in north and in bollywood r blind to c only lata.I think lata is given importance more than what she deserves.she is not that good if we compare with chitra.There r many talants in india coz of lata they r not getting the chance.

http://www.mouthshut.com/readreview/48968-1.html (http://www.mouthshut.com/readreview/48968-1.html
)

Oldposts
Hey Guys.. I have no words to tell u how amazing our Chinna Kuyil, CHITHRA was at the Bollywood Awards.. Felt so proud to see her perform in front of that mixed crowd of Americans, Indians, Pakistanis, West Indians, etc.. Such a humble human being.. down to earth.. when she was giving her speech after receiving the award for the best playback singer .. everyone was touched by her humility and was given a thunderous applause.. felt so good, yaar.. Her performance for the NY Hindu Temple on May 2nd with Shankar Mahadevan was an experience of a life time.. she did some excellent improvisations of some of her songs.. mind blowing.. i just wanted to share my happiness and feelings to all those Chithra fans all around world.. She is coming back in June for more concets all over US and Canada.. Ciao

Oldposts
Mr. Philip,
UR COMMENT >>>>I think lata is given importance more than what she deserves.she is not that good if we compare with chitra.<<

Can u support this claim. Chitra is a fantastic singer. But i dont understand why u need to pull in Lata in this equation.
SOB, in playback singing in the indian context, if u can list down all points that can be used to analyse a singer and start putting the points for each singer, Lata might be the only one who could come close to perfection.
U r fortunate that its a virtual world and u r not close to me.

Dictators have only run countries. Art has never been dicatated...simply because people can never be forced to like things. Monopoly in arts thus only indicate someones supreme authority in what he/she does.
-shruti

Oldposts
shruti you are right i agree...lets not bring into unnecessary comparisons and spoil the whole tempo of the converstation...

in anycase chithra is from my hometown in trivandrum...this is one of the incidents which is still a legend...so on a high school youth festival chithra was participating in a light music competition...chithra (then in ninth class) obviuously won it hands down..but the point is that after chithra finished her singing the judges wanted her to sing her once more!!!
cheers chithra

Oldposts
Shruti,
You are right... You can never have dictators running the country. But dont forget there are some characters who did not hesitate to do anything to prevent their own siblings from singing and competing with them... You very well know whom i mean and everybody knows it. So why dont you accept facts and just shut the f*** up.

Oldposts
There aren’t many people in the film industry whose contribution and achievements complement each other. Playback singer, K S Chithra, is one among the few. She has sung her way into the hearts of the people with 15,000 songs in at least nine languages and is one of the few artists from the South to make a mark in the Hindi film industry too.

After Lata Mangeshkar, Chitra is the first Indian woman singer to perform at the famous Royal Albert Hall in London. She bagged the national award for Best Playback Singer five times and is the first to be honoured by all the four state governments in the south as the best playback singer.

As of now, Chithra is more tuned to music and her baby girl than saving and investments. ‘‘My husband, Vijayashankar, an electronics engineer, takes care of the finance,’’ she says. But she’s part of the discussion and their usual avenues of investment are the stock markets and real estate. The rest of her earnings are set aside for her recording studio, which she plans to develop in a big way.

The couple, however, feel that mutual funds are the best options. ‘‘Today, you have to be very cautious while investing your money. It is always better to do your groundwork before venturing into any new investment plans,’’ says Chithra, still retaining that homely small-town girl look that she brought with her in 1984.

Born into a family of musicians — her father is the late Krishnan Nair, a well-known singer — singing was bound to happen. In fact, Chithra wanted to become a music teacher. Having graduated in BA (Music) from the University of Kerala, she went on to do her MA in music. And once into films, there was no turning back. ‘‘Ilayaraja gave me the big break in Tamil films through his film Nee Tana Antha Kuyil’’. I got my first National Award for the songs in the film ‘‘Sindhu Bhairavi, which he composed. I consider Ilayaraja responsible for my rise as a noted playback singer,’’ says Chitra, paying tribute to her mentor before signing off. She is coming out with a new album next month. In future, she plans to devote more time on classical music.

2004/04/23 Expressindia

Oldposts
Timbeko u comment...,
>>>> " But dont forget there are some characters who did not hesitate
to do anything to prevent their own siblings from singing and competing with them...
You very well know whom i mean and everybody knows it.
So why dont you accept facts blah blah blah .......f*k up" >>>

First of all refrain from the 4 letter words. It only shows ur incompetency in
discussing something.I assure u that i can go much beyond than that if need arises.
Read ur own posting and it will mock at you. Repeating a rumour
doesnt make it a fact. The fact that i know is LM technical ability in playback is
unchallanged. The range (IN ALL ITS FORMS)just stands out. The only other people i can put in that club would be SJ and PS.
This aside, the first thing i said is KSC is a fantastic singer. My only objection
was talking ill of LM. I am a parasitic music follower. I meet people whose WORLD is
only MUSIC. They discuss things from almost any angle in music. Lata was so bloody
gifted that dominance was obvious. The only place where a new singer could come in
at that time was for fast paced songs which was not LMs territory.
Check ur facts BEKU...not ur right TIMe

Shruthi

Oldposts
If anyone knows about the live concerts of chithra, please post them. So that I will try to fullfil one of my dreams in life. She is amazing. Especially in pronouncing the words she is the best.

Oldposts
For all those Chithra fans, there is an interview with Chithra on Jaya TV this Saturday (23-Oct-04) at 9.30 am (part of Vijaya Dasami spl. programmes)

Oldposts
Ravi or anyone else with Jaya TV,
If you get a chance to see it, please summarize the program's content here. Thanks.

Oldposts
Sure aruvi. I know you too are a great fan of Chithra. Are you placed outside of India? I guess you can get to watch Jaya TV thru' Num TV site (not sure though).

Oldposts
everyone's going into specifics here and politics- i just want to talk about chitra- she is DIVINE- my love with indian music (irrespective of which language, though hindi/urdu was the first i was exposed to and learned) started first with the voice of asha bhosle and then i discovered her sister lata. asha will always be my alltime favorite, and her songs from the golden days are beyond compare- i feel chitra is the only other person who can live up to asha's sweetness and ebullience- she has a voice which is so infinitely sweet and childlike, it can lull even the biggest of adults to a state of calm or reverie ;) her voice is like a floating cloud up in the heavens- she has an eternally young spirit like ashaji. and i would say her voice is a lullaby in and of itself; aside from sweet, it is soft, soothing and serene, and she can improvise on any musical note you give her- her voice flies and soars, the song is her sky. i am a 21 year old american girl who discovered hindi film songs (and then every other indian language song thereafter) in 1999, and like i said it started with asha, whose voice is amazingly like a chirping bird- it's so sweet and playful; she and chitra have this way of bringing the listener over a thousand exhilarating turns with their agile, versatile, bright and colorful voices, which are the most unique i have heard in the world, and i am learned of and have been exposed to ALOT of singers from different cultures/languages apart from my own, and i still say this with utmost conviction. To me, the names Asha and Chitra automatically mean: FUN! like asha, chitra too can be playful, coquettish, childlike, coy, seductive (as in the hindi film song 'Mere Dil Ka Tumse Hai Kehna' from Armaan- my goodness, is that song AMAZING, in melody and chitra's rendering- what a gem) also all the songs sung by Chitra for 'Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon' are blindingly brilliant- Teri Zindagi Mein Chali Ayee Chali Ayee, Bani Bani Re Bani; then Raat Ka Nasha from 'Ashoka' and Kasam Ki Kasam from another Hindi film; the list goes on. of course her malayalam and tamil songs are gorgeous too, and i wish to hear all of the songs she has sung; in every language. i'm already learned of most of asha's songs, and i hope to be the same with chitra's as well, because she is magical. i think she along with shreya ghoshal should take over the hindi film song industry as far as the female voices are concerned. they are the modern day nightingales, the closest thing we have to asha-lata, in yet their own unique way, it's just amazing. to me anyway ;)

Oldposts
Some relatively new interviews from Chithra:

http://www.hindu.com/lf/2003/11/16/stories/2003111600220200.htm (http://www.hindu.com/lf/2003/11/16/stories/2003111600220200.htm
)

Telugucinema.com exclusive(Few months back, excellent)
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/stars/interview_chitra_2004.shtml (http://www.telugucinema.com/c/stars/interview_chitra_2004.shtml
)

Latest: About daughter and music(Vocational Award time-Combaitore)

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/10/28/stories/2004102800810100.htm (http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/10/28/stories/2004102800810100.htm
)

http://www.hindu.com/lf/2004/11/16/stories/2004111603260200.htm (http://www.hindu.com/lf/2004/11/16/stories/2004111603260200.htm
)

Oldposts
HI friends if you wanna
Largest Collection of Free Ringtones Latest Hindi Songs Latest Commercials English Songs
Free Polyphonic Tones
Latest Hindi Songs
Latest English Songs
latest Remix and Pop Songs
Latest Video Songs
Free SMS
Just Visit http://www.masti4india.com (http://www.masti4india.com
)

<a name="last"></a>