PDA

View Full Version : DEEPAVALI DELICACIES

Oldposts
31st October 2004, 01:44 PM
Topic started by NOV (NOV@operamail.com) on Mon Oct 25 00:17:56 .

It’s that period of time again - of glorious food, succulent sweets, fiery curries, sweet memories
and colourful albeit noisy celebrations.
Yup, Deepavali is just around the corner and you know what that means - yet another
opportunity to exercise your culinary skills.
Let us use this thread to request and share recipes, tips and everything else related to Deepavali
cooking.
Happy celebrations to each and every one of you!

Oldposts
MURUKKU - Version 1

Ingredients

White gram (ulunthu)Flour - 500 gm
Rice flour - 500 gm
Butter - 160gm
Coconut - 1
Sesame seed - 50 gm
Cumin seeds - 50 gm
Salt to taste
Cooking oil for frying

Method

Mix both kind of flours and salt.
Soften the butter and mix well with flour.
Add sesame and cumin seeds and mix thoroughly.
Extract think coconut milk from the coconut.
Add coconut milk bit by bit until you get the right consistency.
Put dough in Murukku press and press out on banana leaves or pieces of paper.
Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
Keep in air-tight container.

Tips
Fry a small ball of tamarind first, to remove odour of oil.
If the consistency of the dough is too watery, the Murukku will absorb oil.

Oldposts
MURUKKU - Version 2

Substitute ulunthu with kadalai maavu.
Everything else remain the same.

Oldposts
recipe for Appam (sweet) is posted in the appam thread
http://forumhub.com/southfood/11221.09.14.20.html

Oldposts
Badam cake:
very easy!! soak badams and peel the skin. grind it nicely with a bit of milk. in a non-stick pan, put the mix and add sugar as needed. cook till it is thick. add a couple of tbsp ghee, cook till it doesn't stick to the sides.( a bit like mysorepAgu). put it in a greased plate and slice when cold. plain, pure sweet!!!
same can be done with cashews also!

Oldposts
Badam cake:

soak badams and peel the skin. grind them nicely with a bit of milk. put it in a non-stick pan and add sugar. cook till it becomes thick. Add a couple of tbsp ghee and cook till it doesn't stick to the sides (like MysorepAgu). Empty in a greased plate and slice when cold.
plain, simple sweet!!
can do the same with Cashews as well!

Oldposts
Different version of Murukku for the people abroad:

steam maida (plain flour). add salt, ghee or margarine and jeera. make the dough with water and make murukku. tasty!

Oldposts
RIBBON PAKODA

Ingredients

Gram Flour - 1kg
Rice Flour - 500 gm
Ulunthu Flour - 250 gm
Small Onions - 100 gm
Curry Leaves - 2 bunches
Dried Chilly - 2 tahil
Salt to taste
Cooking oil for frying

Method

Combine the three kinds of flour.
Wet grind the onions, curry leaves and chilly with a little water.
Add the ground mixture bit by bit until you get the right consistency. Add water if necessary.
Put dough in Pakoda press and press out directly into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
Keep in air-tight container.

Oldposts
ATHIRASAM (my mom's recipe)

(for about 10 athirasam's)

pacharisi - 1/4 kg
vellam - 200g
aelakkaai - 3

arisiyai nangu kaLainthu vittu kaal mani neram oora vaiththu
thanneerai nangu vadiththu vittu nizhalil ularththa vendum.
arisi eera pathamaaga irukkum pothu mixie-il araithu kolla
vendum. maavai salladayil (in sieve) saliththu eduthukondu,
vellaththai konjam thanneer vittu paagu kaaicha vendum.
paagu kattiyaaga illaamal ilam pathamaaga irukkum
pothu irakki vida vendum. piragu oru thattil maavai kotti
konjam konjamaaga paagai vittu kilari vaiththu kollavum.
maru naal athai (so that it is soft) thatti ennayil pottu edukkavum.

Oldposts
Sorry RRR,
Translation in English please
Thanks in advance

Oldposts
NOV:
Enge poyiteenga?, romba naal achu ungalidam pesi?.
Pl check your email @yahoo.com.
Expecting your reply.

Guys:
Sorry for the digression.

Oldposts
Aarti - Let me attempt to translate RR's recipe:

Rice - 1/4 kg
Vellam - 200g
Cardomom - 3

Wash rice and soak for 15 minutes.
Remove water and grind in mixie.
Next sieve the flour (but how RR, when the flour is wet?).
Dilute jaggery in water and make a syrup. Syrup should not be thick.
In a plate, put the rice flour, add the syrup a little at a time and make a dough.
Fry it in hot oil, the next day, so that it is soft.

Oldposts
Thanks NOV, for the translation. A small clarification,
The step 'Remove water' is actually: filter out water and let it dry by spreading it on a towel (or paper) in a no-sunlight place. When it is more-or-less dry, grind it in mixie. Now, there will be no moisture and you can sieve the flour.

Oldposts
Thanks a lot Nov for the translation.

Oldposts
MYSORE PAAKU

Ingredients

Gram Flour (Kadalai maavu) - 1kg
Sugar - 1 kg
Water - 2 dinking glass
Ghee

Method

Boil water and add sugar.
When the syrup has reached kambi patham, add gram flour by sprinkling.
Add ghee is small blobs.
Mysore paaku is ready when the whole batter becomes a ball and doesn't stick to pan.
Spread mixture on a large plate and smoothen evenly.
Cut into diamond shapes, when still warm, before it hardens.

Tips

Do not roast the gram flour.
Kambi patham is arrived when the syrup runs in a continuous line when scooped up and poured back.

Oldposts
As the Big Day approaches, let me share a recipe that is different from the traditional.

Crunchy Peanut Filled Cookies

Ingredients

Wheat Flour - 1kg
Margarine & Ghee - As required
Peanuts - 1/4 kg
Sugar - 4 tbsp
Sugar for coating

Method

Roast the peanuts and grind coarsely.
When it is cool, add sugar and mix thouroughly. Keep aside.
Heat the margarine and ghee till it melts. Mix with the flour and get a dough that is pliable.
Make small ba-lls of the dough. Make a cavity and put a small portion of the peanut/sugar mixture and shape it.
Bake in a hot oven.
Grind the sugar for coating finely in a grinder. Coat the cookie with this sugar, when it is still warm.

Tips

The consistency of the dough is very important. The dough may break when baked if it is not correct.
Do not use icing sugar for coating as it tends to melt. It's best to grind your own.

Oldposts
I have added a few more delicious receipes. They are quick and easy to make. Prepare these all time favorites and…
BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DEEPAVALI !

RAVA LADDU
------------
Ghee – ½ cup
Semolina – 1½ cups
Sugar - 1½ cups
4-5 whole cardomoms, peeled and powdered
2 tablespoons cashewnuts, broken into small pieces
2 tablespoons raisins

Heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee in a heavy saucepan. Add the semolina and roast until light golden in colour.
Place the roasted semolina, sugar and cardomom pods in an electric blender. Blend ingredients into a fine powder.
Heat the remaining ghee in a heavy saucepan. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins for 2-3 minutes. Add to the semolina/sugar mixture and combine thoroughly.
Shape into laddus.

Paruppu – Vellam Payasam
---------------------------

Channa dhal – 2 tablespoons
Mung dhal – 2 tablespoons
Shredded coconut – 2 cups
Jaggery – 1 to 1½ cups
Milk – 1 cup
Cardomom – 6

1. Cook and mash both the dhals.
2. Add the coconut & jaggery to the dhal and boil in a low heat.
3. After 10 minutes, add the milk and bring it to a boil.
4. Add the cardomoms.

Kaarath Thenkuzhal
--------------------
Raw rice – 3 cups
Toor dhal – ½ cup
Urad dhal – ½ cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
Chilli powder – 2 tablespoons
Hing – ½ tsp
Butter – 100 grams
Salt and oil

1. Grind the first three ingredients.
2. Add the cumin seeds, chilli powder, hing, butter and the salt to the ground mixture.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan. Place the mixture in the ‘thenkuzhal achu’, and press out directly into the hot oil.
4. Fry until golden in colour.

Wish you all a very HAPPY DEEPAVALI!

Oldposts
Wondering if someone knows how to make the wonderful 'Lekhiyam' or 'marindu'

Oldposts
Peanut cookies

wheat flour
ghee
sugar
peanuts

method:
1. Dry roast the peanuts and remove the skins.
2. Grind the peanuts.
3. mix ghee,peanuts and sugar to a dough.
4. use cookie shapers to shape them.
5. Bake them.

u'll love them...trust me!

Oldposts
Easy method to make ravaladu from seetha

Roast the ravai. 1 kg ravai sugar may be 3/4 kg.
Roast cashunut, some grambu, roasted and powdered
cardamam, roasted raisin.
Put a kadai in the flame and add 3/4 kg. sugar and pore water until the sugar covered with water.
approximately one glass.when the syrub comes one
thread consistensy [this is important] remove from fire and add ravai and other items and stir well. We can make ball size ladus from this mixer. If it is cool no fear about it we can do it taking our own time.

Oldposts
coconut and peanut cookies

Maida 1/2 kg. ghee butter or dalda heat it as watery. 1/4 kg sugar this may be increased according to our taste. Copra crated, peanut roasted and skined and put it in the mixe and make only one round so it will be big pieces.
cardomum powder.Put together all incredians and stir well. Now pour the watery ghee or dhalda
you can make cookies from this mixer and bake it.
the cookies must be in big nellikkai shape you may stick one piece of any dry fruit. this isoptional.

Oldposts
Wish you all a VERY HAPPY DEEPAVALI.

May the festival of LIGHTS Bring all of us PEACE,
JOY & PROSPERITY.

Nice to see all the DISHES posted here. I shall be
giving a link to this at MEETING POINT.
http://www.geocities.com/rajeevgm/board_mp.html (http://www.geocities.com/rajeevgm/board_mp.html
)

Cheers,

Rajeev G.Mavinkurve
(WEB - http://www.rajeevgm.com) (http://www.rajeevgm.com)
)
(WAP - http://rajeevgm.wapmatic.de)

Oldposts
i m doin a project on food. so can u tell me more about the food tat indians eat during deepavali and wat the food symbolises.

Thanz

Oldposts
I am looking for an "achi murukku" recipe without using eggs. The usual recipes all have an egg or two added for crispiness but are not suitable for vegetarians. So if anyone can help, please send me the recipe without eggs.
Many thanks.

Oldposts
Achi murukku without eggs
Ing:
Madia - 2 cups
baking pwr - a pinch
Coconut milk(thenkai paal)- 1/2 cup
Sugar - 2 tbs
vannila essence - few drops(if added more it will give bitter taste)
Oil for deep frying.
Method:
1. sieve maida and baking pwr together.
2. In a bowl mix, maida coconut milk, sugar to a bajji batter consistency.
3. Whisk the essence nicely and mix it to the batter.
4. Boil oil in an kaddai.
5. In a heat oil, place the 'achu' in the oil.
6. Dip the 'achu' in the batter to 3/4th.
7. As the 'achu' is hot the batter will sitck to it and place that in the hot oil.
8. After the batter is half done, use a spoon to release the batter to the oil.
9. Cook the murruku till it becomes crispy, use a steel rod to rotate it.
10.Everytime before you dip the achu in the batter, keep the achu in the hot oil for a min.
Note:the batter should be in correct consistency, if the batter is too liquid it won't come out of the achu or if it's too thick it won't be crispy.
If the achu is new, keep the achu in the 'kanchi thani' or starch water for about a day. then wash it nicely and apply oil in all sides . keep this for another day then use it. Or else the batter won't come out from achu.

Oldposts
Hi,

I tried the Athirasam recipe posted by RR/Aarti. There was a problem. When I put the dough in oil, it disintegrated. Can anyone tell me what might have caused this ? Paagu padam or mavu padam or something like that.

Personal experience with such trouble-shooting is welcome .

Also, I want a recipe for making SUIYAM. Can anyone help me please.......

Thanks.

Oldposts
Yup, Deepavali is just around the corner and you know what that means - yet another
opportunity to exercise your culinary skills.
Let us use this thread to request and share recipes, tips and everything else related to Deepavali
cooking.
Happy celebrations to each and every one of you!

Oldposts
thanks 4 ur receipe bala
i'll try 2 do it as soon

heheheh

Oldposts
Hello Nov,

I saw your ribbon pakoda recipe which seems to be very unique and also quite interesting. So, would like to give a try for this Diwali.

The only problem is that I could not get the conversion for a couple of things. So, can u pls explain the flours' qty in cups ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks and Bye

Oldposts
DEEPAVALI GREETINSG TO ALL

Ilayaraja Fans, please view Rajanna Rajaathan on Astro Vanavil on 26 October at 5.30 pm. I have hosted a show on IR songs from Annakkili to Azhagi.

Vanakkam

MANISEGARAN

Oldposts
Hey can anyone post a recipe called

ACHI MURRUKKU - Please!

Cindy
3rd November 2004, 02:53 PM
Contributions to this site plz??

Hemant, I am sure u will have a lot new deepavali recipes to share.... U there?

This time for a change from the usual laddu, mysorepa.... plz give us some novel, healthy recipes...

I am sure all must be planning now for ur home preparatons..why dont u share them with us?

Plz plz plz

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 10:58 AM
hi im here too, im going to start with payasam. i will give the recipe for to different payasam:

Carrot Kheer (Payasam)
carrots - 1 kg, sugar - 1 kg, cardamom powder, saffron, roasted cashews, milk - 1.5 litres.
Cut carrots into small pieces and boil them in pressure cooker. Add saffron and grind it well. Heat this mixture (keep in very low flame) and add sugar. stir constantly till sugar dissolves in the mixture. Add cardomom powder. add boiled milk to this mixture. Mix well. Refrigerate. serve cold. Roast some cashews and add to the kheer just before serving. Very healthy dessert.

Aval Payasam
Heat 1 litre of milk and when it boils and starts to rise add 1/4 cup of aval(rice flakes).Keep in low heat with constant stirring until the quantity reduces to one-half.Add 1 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp powdered cardomom.Roast some cashewnuts(10) and raisins in ghee and add it to the payasam.

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 11:00 AM
Cabbage Vadai
Soak 1 cup of urul dal for 1 hour and grind into a thick fine paste.
To one volume of this add one volume of finely cut cabbage pieces, add salt - 3/4 spoon and mix well
Take a plastic sheet of paper and put even sized balls of this and flatten it. Deep fry this in boiling oil. Turn over until golden brown in colour and it is fully cooked and remove.

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 11:02 AM
Vegetable bonda
Vegetables-Potato,Beans, Carrots,green peas,Beet Root(if preferred)
Steam the vegetables in a pressure cooker or a food steamer and mash them into a tight paste.Add grated onions, salt, red chilli powder. Knead the mixture tightly. Make this into uniform balls and keep aside
Mix gram flour and rice flour in the ratio 2 1/2 :1 , add salt, chili powder, asafoetida,. Add water and mix to a thick consistency. Roll the balls in this flour and deep fry until they are crisp.

Aaaloo paratha
Ingredients: 3 big potatoes, 3 cup wheat flour(small cups), Salt to taste, Green chillies, Pudina/mint leaves
For the stuff:
Just boil potatoes and make curry with salt, green chillies and Pudina/mint leaves(U can add chilli powder instead of green chillies also)
Paratha:
Make a loose batter of wheat flour with a pinch of salt and sambar powder. Now make small balls from this.Cave open this ball in the middle(It should be like a small cave that we do for kozhukkatai).Now add a liitle bit of gingley oil into this dough.Spread this oil well.Now stuff it with the curry u had made.Cover up this masala and then roll this back inrio ball with the stuff.Spread it across as u do for chappathi.Apply oil and make like chappathis.But this needs more oil than normal.This tastes well with tomato chutney/baingan masala.

Sambar powder
Whole red peppers - 1/4 kg
Coriander seeds - 1/4 kg
Toor Dal - 200 g
Gram dal - 200 g
whole black peppers - 25 g
asafoetida - a pinch.
or
whole red peppers - 10 cups, coriander seeds - 10 cups, toor dal - 1 cup, gram dal - 1 cup, black peppers - 1/4 cups, asafoetida powder - 1 tsp. Dry the above ingredients in sun and grind into a nice powder.

Cindy
4th November 2004, 11:32 AM
" :D LUCKY GIRL :D "

Cindy
4th November 2004, 11:36 AM
Vera yaru...SS kku varappora ponnu thaan..

8) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)

Cindy
4th November 2004, 11:36 AM
NOV..isn't it time for us to divide these to folders "misc" is growing too long..

How about a separate section for RECIPES...where we can have subdivisions like - sweets and savories, tea time snacks, breakfast dishes, etc... :P yummy ...yum

NOV
4th November 2004, 03:23 PM
NOV..isn't it time for us to divide these to folders "misc" is growing too long..Cooking Section will be included in this Hub at a later stage. RR is having his hands full now. The reason we transfered Deepavali Delicacies thread is because of the season.

NOV
4th November 2004, 03:56 PM
Contributions to this site plz??
This time for a change from the usual laddu, mysorepa.... plz give us some novel, healthy recipes...
I am sure all must be planning now for ur home preparatons..why dont u share them with us?
Plz plz plzOh well....

We are making Munthiri Koththu otherwise known as Sitturundai today. Will share recipe here.

NOV
4th November 2004, 04:05 PM
Munthiri Koththu
aka Sitturundai

Ingredients 1

Roasted green gram flour (paasipayir maavu) - 500 gm
Roasted coconut flakes or Desicated coconut - 50 gm
Vellam / Brown sugar - 250 gm
Water - 2 glasses
Elakkaa/sukku - ground finely

Ingredients 2

Rice flour - 1 portion
Corn flour - 1/4 portion
Salt to taste
Yellow colouring

Method

Make syrum with vellam/sugar and water. Drain out particles.
Add elakkaa, sukku, coconut and sprinkle green gram flour (We use salladai)
Use low flame.
If necessary add hot water.
Paste is ready when it is like raw adhirasam dough. Roll using your fingers to determine this. You should get a smooth ball.
After it has cooled, make marble like balls.

Next mix rice flour, corn flour, salt with water and add colouring. Consistency should be that as for aappam (Malaysian appam).

Now take three of the above marble shaped balls and coat with the batter and deep fry.

Your munthiri koththu is ready!

nirosha sen
4th November 2004, 06:09 PM
Enna rujee, enna rujee!! Just imagining it alone is enough!! Reminds me of the days I use to sit and burn the midnight oil with my late mother, making those round balls. It was always my favourite from the bygone days :cry: :cry: :cry:

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 06:56 PM
Laddu

Ingredients :
Bengal Gram flour : 500 gms
Raw Rice flour: 2 tbsp
Sugar : 625 gms
Ghee : 1 tsp
Salt : A pinch
Cashewnuts: 100 gms
Raisins : 25 gms
Cardomoms : 10 No
Kalkandu(cubed sugar) : 25 gms

Method of Preparation :

To Prepare boondi :
In a wide mouth mixing bowl, mix bengal gram flour, rice flour, a pinch of salt, ghee and with required amt of water, make a thick liquid to the consistency of dosa batter.

Heat oil in a frying pan, holding the boondi plate (a plate with lot of holes), above the oil spread the batter so that very small pieces are dropped into the oil. Stir the boondis until fully cooked. Drain the excess oil.

To prepare Laddu :
Make sugar syrup by boiling 1:1 sugar and water for about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of kesari powder to this syrup. Drop the boondis into the sugar syrup and mix well. Roast cashewnuts and raisins in ghee and add it to the mix.

Also add cardamoms and kalkandu and mix well. Wait until the mixture cools down to a temperature until your hand can with stand the heat. Now make into even balls by pressing lightly with hand. Spread and allow to cool.

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 06:58 PM
Rava Laddu

Ingredients :
Rawa / Sooji : 2 cups
Sugar : 2 cups
Ghee : 1 cup
Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
Cashewnuts : 2 tbsp
Raisins : 2 tbsp
Fresh milk : 1/2 cup

Method of Preparation :

Roast Rawa in a deep heavy bottom vessel with 2 tbsp of ghee till it turns light golden brown in colour.

Clean and dry the mixie. Grind sugar to a coarse, add the roasted rawa, cardomom powder and now grind to a fine powder.

Boil the milk and keep it warm. Heat the remaining ghee, fry the cashewnuts and raisins. Add to the ground rawa sugar mixture. Grease your hands and shape into firm balls of desired size when the mixture is still warm. If the resultant mixture is too dry, add milk accordingly and make laddus.

Store in an air tight container.

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 07:04 PM
Guys and gurls, anybody now about deepavali legiyam. Indian homes that following the old tradition will prepare the this bitter "sweet" for the deepavali day. On the deepavali day we must take this legiyam after pooja before we start to eat other foods. This legiyam will improve our digestion especially oily foods. some may even suffer vayir uppsusam and vanthi. so lets start a helthy deepavali with this legiyam.

Deepavali Legiyam

Ingredients :
Omam 100 g
sukku 10 g
kandathippili 10g
black pepper 10g
siddharathai 10g
cardomom 5g
jaadhikkai 1/2
adimadhuram 10g
jaggery 250g
ghee 100g
honey 50g

Method of Preparation :

Powder each of the above except ghee and honey separately and mix it using a blender. Add heated ghee and honey and mix well.

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 07:09 PM
Carrot Halwa

finely grated carrots - 1 1/2 cups, sugar - 1 cup, mixture of milk and water - 1 cup (the proportion may be as you like), cashews- 6, cardomoms - 4, ghee 3 tsp
Peel all the carrots and grate them finely. Pour 3 teaspoons of ghee in a frying pan. Add 6 cashews and powdered cardomoms (4).Fry till you get the smell of roasted cashews.Pour the mixture of milk and water. Add sugar. When the water comes to boil, add 1 1/2 cups of grated carrot and stir slowly and constantly in low heat until the mixture turns into a soft paste. After adding sugar, you may have to cook around 7 - 10 minutes to get the desired consistency for halwa. Do not heat the mixture too long, so as to prevent it from getting hardened.

annamalaifan
4th November 2004, 07:10 PM
Potato Halwa

Potatoes - 2, Sugar - the same quantity as the smashed potatoes, Ghee - 1/2 cup.
Boil and peel the potatoes. Smash them and measure equal quantity of sugar. Place a non-stick pan on the gas. Pour half a cup of water and when it starts boiling add sugar to it. Let the sugar dissolve completely. Then add the smashed potatoes and saute it till it comes to a halwa consistency. Now, add ghee and remove it from fire once the halwa leaves the sides of the pan. Add cardamom powder. Garnish it with cashew nuts.

NOV
4th November 2004, 07:33 PM
Enna rujee, enna rujee!! Just imagining it alone is enough!! Reminds me of the days I use to sit and burn the midnight oil with my late mother, making those round balls. It was always my favourite from the bygone days :cry: :cry: :cry:Why so sad Nirosha? What is stopping you from doing them this year.
BTW, forgot to tell you that this version is with reduced sweetness. For the really sweet-toothed, you need to increase the amount.

NOV
5th November 2004, 03:13 PM
Coconut Candy

Ingredients (A)

115ml evaporated milk(4oz tin)
2 tbsp condensed milk
325g granulated sugar
375g grated coconut
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp butter
A few drops food colouring

Method

Combine ingredients (A) in a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over a very low heat until sugar has dissolved completely.
Stir in grated coconut and cook until almost dry, about 30 minutes.

Remove saucepan from heat, add essence and butter, and mix well to blend.
Divide into three portions and add a few drops of different colouring to each portion. Grease three trays lightly with corn oil and fill with coloured portions.

Press candy down firmly with a clean piece of plastic wrap, then set aside to cool slightly.

Turn candy out and cut before it dries completely and hardens.

nirosha sen
12th November 2004, 10:24 PM
Nov - I got to hand it to you! You're spoiling us just by teasing our taste-buds by all these recipes alone! The general mood in the country maybe a quiet affair this Diwali, but your thread alone keeps the mood going with fire-works and a gastronomic spread too good to pass, Pa!! I come in here just to "virtually" savour the fare, if nothing else!

God Bless and have a wonderful Deepavali! :wink:

NOV
12th November 2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks Niro. All praises to my mum.

Is the festival really a quiet affair? Not in KL though. ;)

nirosha sen
7th October 2005, 08:29 PM
Friends - Let's try to update our Diwali recipes, now that the big day is just round the corner.

This year I intend to try out Nov's recipe for Moonthri Kothu!! :D It reminds me so much of my mum's delicacy. I haven't eaten it since she died! :cry:

sunflower
18th October 2005, 08:42 PM
Hi ,

Deepavali is just around the corner. If anyone has any new sweets or snacks or main course ideas. I will be having a potluck at my place. any help is appreciated.
Sunflower

NOV
19th October 2005, 07:33 AM
Thanks Niro, for bringing this thread alive again. :)
Wishing you luck with your mundhiri kothu! :lol:

Last night I was at deepavali sandhai in KL Sentral. Boy! What a cheer!!! Deepavali shopping coupled with glorious deepavali sweets and delicacies. And to top it all, concerts every night till Oct 30th!

solona
20th October 2005, 09:14 AM
Hi everybody,

Souyan oroundai

100 gm paasi parruppu
shredded coconut
vellam or brown sugar
elaichi
ghee

Maida
salt

Cook paasi parruppu well and mash is to a paste add coconut, vellam and heat the mixture until it forms an thick paste and add 1 tablespoon of ghee and elaichi.

Make a thick liquid like bhaji mix paste with maida and salt. Make balls of the paasi parruppu stuffing caot with maida pastry and deep fry in hot oil.

Nei oroundai

Paasi parruppu 200 gms
Sugar 2 cups
Ghee 2 cups
elaichi powder

Grind sugar and parruppu (dry grinding) into fine powder mix them well add elaichi powder. Melt ghee (should not be boiling) and pour aver the powder, mix it and make balls when the ghee is still hot and let it cool.

Boli

Make pastry like you do for poori or chapathi anf keep aside.

Stuffing

Paasi parruppu 1 cup roasted
coconut 2 cups
vellam 1 cup
Ghee 1 cup
Elaichi

Fry the above ingredients for 2 minutes.

Make round chapathis place 1 spoon of stuffing at the centre pleat bring one end to the other stick them by pressing with your fingers or a fork into semi circle patties and deep fry them

orange2005
20th October 2005, 06:58 PM
HI,
This year for Diwali i want to try making Badusha.Does anyone have a recipe for this.Please help.

Thanks

solona
21st October 2005, 04:37 AM
Badusha :

Maida : 1 cup
Soda : 1 pinch
Ghee or dalda : 50 gm
Sugar 1 cup
Water : 1/2 cup
Rose essance : some drops
Shredded coconut mixed with orange colour

Mix maida with soda ghee and a bit of water into a soft dough with your finger tips (it is important to have it soft) and make round balls, flatten the balls and make a press the centre with one finger. fry the patties the both sides in medium oil until they are light brown (badusha colour) take your time the fire should not be high, it would take atleast 15 min to fry the both sides, take out and put on an absorbing paper to take away excess oil.
At the same time make you sugar syrup with te sugar and water to kambi pagu consistancy. dip the badushas in the sugar syrup for 2 minutes and the arrange them in a platter. Put the colored, shredded coconut on the badusha hole.

Solona

nirosha sen
22nd October 2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks Niro, for bringing this thread alive again. :)
Wishing you luck with your mundhiri kothu! :lol:

Last night I was at deepavali sandhai in KL Sentral. Boy! What a cheer!!! Deepavali shopping coupled with glorious deepavali sweets and delicacies. And to top it all, concerts every night till Oct 30th!

Dear Nov,

Today I tried and did a superb small container of moonthiri kothu!! :D

Was afraid I might blow it though, and of course I had a helper too. But she told me, never to ask for help again next year, Pa!! Too much work and nervous energy at work as we were not sure when to add the green gram flour!! But boy, there was so much of stirring as we carefully added the flour and watched it harden.

Well, in nostalgic poignancy, I ate my first few sithu oorandai, and remembered my mum and a much younger me, helping her to knead those small balls, in the wee hours of the night!! And yes, I shed a few tears, as I had not tasted them since 1977 - the year Mother died! :cry:

So, like the Kasaundy stirring story-teller in Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, for the sweet memories of long gone Deepavalis, from the dustry recess of my own dabba of past rememberance!! :D

sri2005
24th October 2005, 02:35 AM
i tried the murukku recpie which is in the diwali thread.
It was not cripsy.
COuld anyone please let me know..how to fry the murukku.
1) Should the oil be too hot like for making puri,
2)ow long should I keep the murukku in the oil.
3)SHould I pour lots of oil in the pan so that the murukku immerses..
Please somebody let me know..I am planning ot make it for diwali.

thanks

a.ratchasi
8th November 2005, 11:43 AM
Coconut Candy

Ingredients (A)

115ml evaporated milk(4oz tin)
2 tbsp condensed milk
325g granulated sugar

NOV, thanks to you, my first attempt in coconut candy making was a success. :D :D

I made it two days before Diwali and all that remained on the eve was only a quarter of what I had initially.

Thanks for the recipe once again!

Oh, I hope you don't mind me sharing the recipe with others. :) :) :)

NOV
8th November 2005, 11:59 AM
Happy to hear of your successes Niro and AR!
yaam petra inbam peruga ivvayagam.....

NOV
3rd October 2006, 06:35 AM
Revive! :D

Anoushka
3rd October 2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks NOV for reviving this thread :)

NOV
4th October 2006, 07:55 AM
VEGETARIAN FRUIT CAKE

225 gm plain flour,
180 gm butter,
150 gm brown sugar,
135 cc water,
200cc carnation (evaporated) milk,
1 - 1/2 tsp baking powder,
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda,
150 gm mixed fruits,
60 gm chopped nuts (optional)
35 gm cooking chocolate,
1 tsp venilla essence

Sieve plain flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda and keep aside.
Mix butter and brown sugar till creamy, add the chocolate, vanilla essence mix well.
add fruits and chopped nuts and mix well again
now add water, milk and flour a little each time and mix well.
preheat oven, at 160 deg, bake it for 60 mins.

hint: don't cut the cake immediately, when cake is cold put it in the fridge, next day take it out and cut into pieces. if you cut it earlier it will break because of the fruits.

recipe: courtesy of Jay (singapore hubber)

dev
4th October 2006, 08:01 AM
Veg fruit cake-aa... kandippa try pannanum... thanks for the recipe, Jay & thanks for sharing it with us,NOV...

ruby_soma
4th October 2006, 07:49 PM
EGGLESS SUGEE CAKE ( SEMOLINA)

450 grms sugee
250 grms butter
200 grms chopped mixed fruits
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
525 grms ( 1 can) condensed milk
water ( fill the empty condensed milk tin)

METHOD:

Place the butter, condensed milk and water in a pot.
Stir and bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat and stir the chopped fruit.
Allow to cool to lukewarm.
Stir in sugee and let it soak in the mixture for 15-20 minutes
To plump up the grains.
Stir in the baking powder and the essence.
Turn mixture in a prepared pan and bake in preheated oven
At 175oC for 45 minutes, or till cake is done.

This cake cuts into neat slices when cold.

NOV
5th October 2006, 06:17 AM
Welcome Ruby!
Your name reminds me of a old time Hubber who is no longer with us - Mrs Soma. :(

Anyway, mum used to make sujee cake with coconut milk and it was so yummy that we would write our names on our shares :oops:
It tastes better with age but cannot last longer than 10 days. Will try to get the recipe from her.

Nichiro
6th October 2006, 09:59 AM
Come october and my sister Mrs.Soma's annivarsary brings back very fond memories.
She was such a noble soul that it is difficult to get such people nowadays.
May her soul rest in peace.
Nichiro

gkals
12th October 2006, 05:08 AM
in case you guys are interested in the following .....

Dear Friends

Diwali is an important Hindu festival, and USPS (US Postal Service) is considering issuing stamps for this occasion. USPS has stamps for other festivals too like Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Eid, and Chinese New
Year.

To do this, USPS needs 500,000 signatures to have a stamp release,and so far we have 352152!!!!+ people who have signed the petition.

Please go to the site below and support the release of the Diwali stamp.

Also, please forward widely to others who would support this.

So lets get the Diwali stamp issued.

http://www.petitiononline.com/diwali03

NOV
12th October 2008, 09:08 AM
tada! Its Deepavali season again and time to revive this thread. :slurp:

kugan98
12th October 2008, 02:30 PM
Nov, I think I am very late in posting the deepavali recipes. You have everything here. Thanks.

NOV
12th October 2008, 07:12 PM
thats ok K. my (my mother's actually) recipes were given out in the beginning of this decade. :) anyway, there are many ways of cooking the same food. :slurp:

Selviem
12th October 2008, 11:23 PM
can anybody send easy sweets and savouries please

Shakthiprabha.
3rd November 2008, 09:50 PM
I tried out (new first time trial) CARROT BURFI.

IT turned out yummy and was eaten by all my friends n relatives like hot cake.

:redjump:

nutcr0cker
12th October 2010, 05:07 AM
anyone get the texture of adirasam/soanpapdi right. What is the trick to it?

NOV
3rd November 2010, 05:39 PM
Its that time of the year again! :redjump: :bluejump:

NOV
3rd November 2010, 05:42 PM
anyone get the texture of adirasam/soanpapdi right. What is the trick to it?

]ATHIRASAM (my mom's recipe)

(for about 10 athirasam's)

pacharisi - 1/4 kg
vellam - 200g
aelakkaai - 3

arisiyai nangu kaLainthu vittu kaal mani neram oora vaiththu
thanneerai nangu vadiththu vittu nizhalil ularththa vendum.
arisi eera pathamaaga irukkum pothu mixie-il araithu kolla
vendum. maavai salladayil (in sieve) saliththu eduthukondu,
vellaththai konjam thanneer vittu paagu kaaicha vendum.
paagu kattiyaaga illaamal ilam pathamaaga irukkum
pothu irakki vida vendum. piragu oru thattil maavai kotti
konjam konjamaaga paagai vittu kilari vaiththu kollavum.
maru naal athai (so that it is soft) thatti ennayil pottu edukkavum.

kugan98
8th November 2010, 03:12 PM
NOV anneh, I thought of posting all my Deepavalli palagarams, traditional as well as modern here, one by one with pictures.
May be it will be of help to future young wives, who are interested in doing them. Mine are mostly tested ones.
I do not know how long I will last with my health, maybe this will be of a little contribution. Thanks, Kugan98

kugan98
8th November 2010, 03:16 PM
[tscii]
PROUVELANGA URUNDAI

Ingredients:
250 grms moong dal roasted
250 grms parboiled rice roasted
250 grms channa dal roasted
50 grms sesame seeds roasted
50 grms peanuts roasted
20 grms coconut cut into strips roasted
½ tsp dry ginger and cardamom powder
1 kg brown sugar

Method:
Take 2 tbs of roasted moong dal and channa dal and keep aside.
Grind the rest of the moong dal, parboiled rice, and channa dal
Into fine powder.
Then mix all the other ingredients to the powder and keep aside.

In a wok add the brown sugar and 2 cups of water and cook on
A medium heat to make syrup.
To test the syrup, drop a spoonful into a cup of cold water.
It will form a soft ball. Reduce the heat to very low, just to
Keep the syrup warm.

Spread a cup of the flour in a bowl, pour a small ladle of syrup
In the middle. Use a spoon and stir well.
Powder your hands with the ground flour, pick up a handful of the mixture and shape it into a ball. You have to be quick.
Repeat with the remaining powder and syrup.
The balls will harden as they cool.

Note: Some people make this urundai with just all flours.
We add all the other things, so that when you bite you have
Dals and things , and not only flour.

[html:3cf39781fc]
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9521/poruvelangaurundaitk4gl.jpg
[/html:3cf39781fc]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 03:25 PM
MUNTHIRI KOTHU

Ingredients:

500 grms roasted cleaned green gram dhal
500 grms powdered white sugar
50 grms brown sugar +100 ml water
150 grms roasted yellu
150 grms scrapped coconut roasted to a nice brown colour
10 cardamons powdered
350 grms rice soaked and powdered
3 tbs maida flour
160 ml water or little bit more
1 pinch of salt
oil for frying

Method:
Powder the roasted green gram dhal, the roasted yellu, and the roasted coconut
The powdered yellu and powdered coconut will be a bit rough..
Mix the yellu powder ,coconut powder the green gram powder, the cardmon powder
And the powdered white sugar.
Just boil the brown sugar with the 100 ml water, strain it.
Slowly add to the mixture and mix nicely with your hands
Press hard with your fingers when you mix.,
Make small marble sized balls and arrange on a plate.

Mix a batter of rice flour ,maida flour, and salt by adding water carefully to a
Dosai maavu consistency.
Heat a non-stick pan, with oil on a medium heat.
Dip the marble sized balls in the rice flour batter.
Deep fry one by one till golden brown.
Remove and put on a newspaper to remove excess oil.
When cold keep in a airtight tin.

Note: If the flour is thick, dilute slowly with little water.
I have fried the urundais one by one instead of in bunches.

[html:f007e0f8cc]
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7234/munthirikothu001yv4zz4.jpg
[/html:f007e0f8cc]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 03:34 PM
[tscii]

Athirasam

Ingredients:
500 grms raw rice soaked for 1 hour
300 grms jaggery or brown sugar
½ tsp cardamom powder
Ghee

Method:
Drain the rice in a colander. Spread it on a paper and let it dry partially.
The rice should be slightly wet. Grind the rice and sieve it once.

Add one cup of water and make the syrup. Before it comes to boil, filter it.
Boil again stirring frequently. When the syrup is bubbling, slow the fire.
To test wheather it has come to the right stage ( patham ) , drop a little
Syrup in a cup of water. You can gather the syrup into a smooth ball. (not stiff ball)
You have to test this method several times after the syrup has come to a boil.
Off the stove. Sprinkle the flour mixed with the cardamom powder, littlt by little
And mix well. The batter must not be very stiff, a bit soft. If we make a ball from it
It must be smooth, and should not break or crack.

Pour the batter into a greased bowl. Pour about 1 ½ tbs of ghee on top of the batter
And keep. You can make the athirasam the next day. (normally I keep for 4 days)
On the day of making athirasam, you remove the batter and knead well.
Incase your batter has harden, just sprinkle a little hot water and knead well.

Heat oil in a wok on a medium flame. Pat the dough in your palm into a disc.
Make a hole in the centre, and deep fry. The athirasam should puff up when you fry.
It will be a bit crisp on the first day. The next day it will become soft.
Well with pratice only , one can make perfect athirasam.

[html:806062428f]
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3847/athirasam.jpg
[/html:806062428f]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 03:40 PM
[tscii]

WHITE SUGAR ATHIRASAM

Ingredients:

400 grms raw rice soaked for 1 hour
250 grms sugar
1 tbs kas kas
½ tsp cardamom powder
Ghee

Method:
Drain the rice in a colander. Spread it on a paper and let it dry partially.
The rice should be slightly wet. Grind the rice and sieve it once.

Add one cup of water and make the syrup. Before it comes to boil, filter it.
Boil again stirring frequently. When the syrup is bubbling, slow the fire.
To test wheather it has come to the right stage ( patham ) , drop a little
Syrup in a cup of water. You can gather the syrup into a smooth ball. (not stiff ball)
You have to test this method several times after the syrup has come to a boil.
Off the stove. Sprinkle the flour mixed with the cardamom powder, and kas kas, littlt by little
and mix well. The batter must not be very stiff, a bit soft. If we make a ball from it
It must be smooth, and should not break or crack.

Pour the batter into a greased bowl. Pour about 1 ½ tbs of ghee on top of the batter
And keep. You can make the athirasam the next day. (normally I keep for 4 days)
On the day of making athirasam, you remove the batter and knead well.
Incase your batter has harden, just sprinkle a little hot water and knead well.

Heat oil in a wok on a medium flame. Pat the dough in your palm into a disc.
, and deep fry. The athirasam should puff up when you fry.
It will be a bit crisp on the first day. The next day it will become soft.
The taste of sugar athirasam will differ from brown sugar athirasams.
Well with pratice only , one can make perfect athirasam.

[html:576f050a71]
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9048/sugarathirasam.jpg
[/html:576f050a71]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 03:46 PM
[tscii]
SIPPI

Ingredients:

500 grms rice flour
100 grms urad dal flour
75 grms sugar
½ tsp cardamom powder
Enough coconut milk
Salt
Oil

Method:
Mix the rice flour and urad dal flour with a pinch of salt.
Add enough coconut milk and knead to a pliable dough.
Now take a small piece of dough and flatten it on any design,
Or fork. Then roll each piece off so that the design will be
Imprinted on it. When you have finished with all the dough,
Deep fry till crisp and golden. Drain and keep aside.

In a wok add the sugar,2 cups of water and the cardamom powder.
Boil the syrup till one string consistency, and starts to bubble.
Add all the sippi and mix thoroughly.
The syrup will crystallize and all the sippi will be coated
With sugar. Remove, let it cool and store.

[html:ecdbb7ecc7]
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4826/chippi.jpg
[/html:ecdbb7ecc7]

h

kugan98
8th November 2010, 04:18 PM
I made with 1 kg of flour.

HALWA

Ingredients:
100 grms plain flour
1 cups sugar
cup ghee
1 tbs broken cashew nuts, fried
1 tsp lemon juice
a pinch of cardamom powder.
orange colour little.

Method:
Adding little water to the flour, make it like chappati dough.
Pour 1 cups of water in a basin. Put the dough in water to soak
For about an hour. You can add more water if necessary.
Mix this with hands gently, so that milcky extract comes from the dough. Do like this till you get a small amount of spongy dough.
Strain the milk through a fine mash or cheese cloth.
Keep the mixture undisturbed for 8 to 10 hours.
Pour out the clear water, which comes to the top carefully.

Put a wok on fire, add the sugar and cup of water.
Stir till one string consistency is reached.
Add the colour and the lime juice.
Dilute the sediment and pour in the boiling syrup.
Slow the fire and stir constantly till it becomes thick and transparent.
Add the ghee and stir till it gets absorbed into halwa.
Pour the rest of the ghee and stir again till it gets absorbed.
Stir constantly till it leaves out the ghee and becomes a thick ball like mass. Remove from fire, add fried nuts and cardamom powder.
Mix for a minute or so, and pour on a greases tray.
Cut into slices when cool.

This method gives you a soft, smooth silk like halwa which literally
Will slide down your throat.

[html:4ebbd444ea]
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/9396/halwa.jpg
[/html:4ebbd444ea]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 04:26 PM
[tscii]

BADUSHAS

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp soda bi carbonate
¼ cup fresh curds
1/3 cup ghee
½ tsp powdered cardamom powder
Oil for frying

2 cups sugar
1 cup water

Method:
Sieve the flour and soda bi carbonate together in a bowl.
Add in the curds and ghee.
Mix everything to make a stiff dough.
You should not need any water, if you do just add enough to
make the stiff dough. Do not knead it too much.
Cover the dough and put aside for ½ an hour
Now make small balls and make small depression in the centre
with your thumb

Heat sugar and water in a pot until you have 2 string consistency syrup.
Take the syrup off the stove.

Heat oil in a wok, when the oil is medium hot, fry the badushas on
low heat until golden brown. It will take about 10 - 12 minutes.
Immerse each badusha in syrup for about 3 minutes.
Take it out and arrange it on a platter.
Badushas will have a shiny glaze after an hour.
Its important that the syrup and the badusha should be fairly
warm, if not the badusha will not absorb the syrup.

Note : you can garnish with dry coconut, food colour and pistas.

[html:7ec1616782]
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5575/badusha.jpg
[/html:7ec1616782]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 04:32 PM
I find that 2 cups of sugar is more than enough.
You can add 3 cups if you want.

SEVEN CUP CAKE

Ingredients:
1 cup besan flour
1 cup grated coconut ( only the white part)
1 cup milk
1 cup ghee (little more if you like)
2 cups sugar

Method:
In a wok add a tbs of ghee.
Dry roast the besan till the raw small goes, cool.

In a heavy bottomed pan , add in the sugar, milk,
coconut and the besan, on a low flame cook stirring,
occasionally for about 20 minutes or until the mixture
starts to froth and will start to come off from the sides of the pan.

Slowly pour the rest of the ghee into the pan, while stirring
continuously.
Within few minutes the entire mixture will harden a bit,
and become thick.
Take off the stove and pour it onto a greased plate.
While it is still hot, draw the lines with a sharp knife to make
small squares.
Let it cool for about 20 minutes.
After it is cool you can take out the pieces.

[html:09a1f4d804]
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/509/sevencupcake.jpg
[/html:09a1f4d804]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 04:43 PM
[tscii]

BADAM HALWA

Ingredients:

1 cup whole badam
1 cup sugar more if you like
5 tbs of ghee
¼ cup to ½ cup of milk
Little saffron or yellow colour

Method:

Soak the badam in very hot water for about ½ an hour.
Then remove the skins from the badam.
Soak the saffron in little milk.

Using the milk grind the badam to a smooth paste.
In a heavy bottomed pan, add the ground badam paste,
sugar and the saffron soaked milk.

Place the pan on medium heat and keep on stirring.
As it thickens add the ghee little by little.
Stir until the mixture starts to leave the sides, and come together.
Keep on stirring.
You should be able to roll a little of it into a ball.
Remove from heat and cool.
The consistency should be soft. Enjoy.

[html:dfd796c933]
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5484/badamhalwa.jpg
[/html:dfd796c933]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 04:55 PM
RAVA LADDU

1 cup rava roasted in little ghee
1 cup sugar
5 cashew nuts broken into pieces fried in ghee
10 raisins fried in ghee
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
3 cups of ghee
Method:

I fry the rava with ghee untill you get a nice aroma.
I use 1 cup of rava for 1 cup of sugar.
In a dry blender grind the rava and the sugar coarsely.
In a small skillet toast the cashew pieces, and raisins.
Add it to the powdered rava.also add the cardamom powder.
Mix everything nicely and put all the ingredients in a wide
mouth basin.
Heat the ghee in a wok, push little of the powdered mix to one corner.
Make a well in the centre, pour little ghee in the well.
use a spoon and mix the mixture. The heat will be bearable.
Use your hands and shape them into small balls.

You do little by little, so that if the mixture is little bit soggy,
you can add little bit of the rava flour to get the right
consistency. You must be very careful with the last bit of rava.
If it becomes soggy., you have no more flour to add.
By this time you would have mastered how much ghee to use.

[html:099db2c74d]
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9602/ravaladdu.jpg
[/html:099db2c74d]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 05:01 PM
MAA LADDU

Ingredients:
1 cup roast gram dal (pottukadalai)
1 cup sugar
50 grms cashew nuts chopped roughly
1 tsp powdered cardamom
2 cups of ghee.
A pinch of salt.

Method:
Powder the dal and the sugar separately.
Pass it through a sieve once.
Roast the cashew nuts in little ghee until golden

Now in a bowl, mix the dal powder, sugar, cashew nuts,
cardamom powder and salt.

Heat the ghee in a pot. Now slowly add the ghee little by little,
till you get the right consistency to make them into balls.

Do not pour all the ghee at once. You might have remainder ghee.
Have some extra dal flour to dust the maa laddu, before storing.

[html:2df6e611c1]
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9271/porikadalaladdu.jpg
[/html:2df6e611c1]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 05:03 PM
[tscii]

BOONDI LADDU

Ingredients:

2 cups besan flour
A pinch of cooking soda
A pinch of salt
Oil for deep frying

3 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
10 cashew nuts broken
15 raisins
½ tsp cardamom powder
1 tbs small kalkandu (optional)
3 tbs ghee
Little kesari colour

For boondi:

Mix flour, salt and baking soda with little water to a smooth batter (Like dosa batter).
Heat oil in a heavy wok.
Hold Boondi ladle with small round holes on top with one hand. With the other pour some batter all over the holes. Tap gently till all batter has fallen into hot oil. Stir with another laddle and remove when the boondis are light golden colour. Keep it aside. Repeat for remaining batter.

For syrup:

Put sugar and water in a pot and boil. Add colour and stir continously till it reaches soft ball consistency. Add cardamom powder and switch off the stove.

Now add the boondi into the syrup and mix well. Fry in the ghee the cashew nuts broken into pieces, raisins, and put it in the boondi mixture. Add kalkandu and once again mix well. Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes.

Then mix once again and slightly pound it with wooden masher (mathu) . Take small amount of this boondi mixture and put it in a plate. Make lemon size balls while the mixture is warm to hold.
. Finish all the boondies like this. Store it in a container.

[html:b3fb0e3364]
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5766/laddu.jpg
[/html:b3fb0e3364]

NOV
8th November 2010, 06:09 PM
:shock:

K, summaa asaththittenga. Deepavali marupadi vandha maadhir oru unarvu

:thumbsup: its good to keep all festive related recipes here!

kugan98
8th November 2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks NOV anneh, slowly I will update most of the common palagarams that we do for Deepavalli. Thanks, Kugan98

kugan98
8th November 2010, 07:53 PM
[tscii]

GULUB JAMUNS

Ingredients:

For syrup:
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
2 cardamom pods crushed
Little saffron optional
Little rose essence

The Jamun:
2 ½ cups of powder milk
½ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups of heavy cream.
1 tbs melted ghee

Method:
Boil the sugar with the water. Add the crushed cardamom.
When all the sugar is dissolved and boiling, remove.
Add the saffron and the essence. Keep aside.

Combine the milk powder, all purpose flour, baking powder,
And the melted ghee in a bowl.
Add enough heavy cream and knead it to make a soft dough.
Now take a portion and gently roll between your palms to make
Smooth balls.
Heat oil in a pan, ( you can use ghee also) until it is hot.
Lower the heat to medium and deep fry few balls at a time.
The jamuns will slowly rise to the top if it is fried in the right temperature. When they are browned on all sides, remove
And put it immediately in the warm syrup.
Let it soak in the syrup for about 30 minutes.
Serve it warm or cold.

Note: I made them quite big, you can make them smaller.

[html:7993326417]
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/1889/gulabjamun.jpg
[/html:7993326417]

dev
8th November 2010, 07:56 PM
:clap:

kugan98
8th November 2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks Dev.

[tscii]BLACK HALWA

Ingredients.
500 grms rice flour
400 grms finely grated jaggery
2 litres coconut milk from 2 coconuts
1 tsp cardamon powder
50 grms chopped cashew nut
50 grms melted ghee
a big pinch of salt

Method:
Mix the flour, milk and jaggery.
Dissolve the jaggery and pass through a muslin or a strainer.
Put the mixture in a big wok,with cardamond powder, chopped nuts,
Salt, and cook on a slow fire, stirring all the time, till the mixture turns thick.
( The fire has to be slow to allow the flour to be cooked )
Add the ghee and continue cooking, till the mixture leaves the sides of the wok.
A small portain of halwa rolled between the thumb and forefingers forms a non-sticky ba#ll.
Put in a well- greased tray, level the surface, set aside to turn cold.
Cut into small squares when cold.

It’s hard work, but the end result will be sweet.

[html:e5f620b5fa]
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/8085/blackhalwa.jpg
[/html:e5f620b5fa]

kugan98
8th November 2010, 09:15 PM
TIRUNELVELI HALWA

250 grms whole wheat soaked for 10 hours.
1 kg sugar
525 grms ghee

Method:
Grind the wheat and strain it with a fine muslin cloth it into a vessel.
Let the milk like batter settle.
Remove the top clear water slowly.

Now pour the milk like batter and the sugar into a thick iron wok.
Heat the wok stirring continuously, till it begins to boil.
Add the ghee and keep on stirring. Let it boil down till it
Thickness and is nearly solid.
Remove and pour it onto a greased plate.
This halwa is of a very soft consistency
It cannot be cut into slices.
Normally this halwa is served suda, suda.
You can eat when cool too.
This type of halwa will literally slide down your throat.

Note: normally no colour and nuts are used in this halwa.
They say the halwa gets a very light colour due to the
Long hours of cooking.

[html:52a51bc9f1]
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9964/thalwa.jpg
[/html:52a51bc9f1]

tvsankar
8th November 2010, 09:49 PM
kugan,
7 cup cake la - oru cup kammiya irukae.. ennadhu adhu????

kugan98
8th November 2010, 10:04 PM
[tscii]

JANGIRI

Ingredients:
1 cup whole white urad dal
1 tbs rice
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup of water
2 tsp rose water
little kesari colour
Little saffron

Method:
1. Soak dhal and rice together in water for 15 minutes.
2. Grind into smooth thick frothy paste with very little water using wet grinder.
3. Grind for 40 to 45 minutes, add little kesari colour and take out from grinder
. (To check consistency of dhal - When little paste is put in water dhal paste should float).

4. Mix sugar and water in a heavy pan and heat in medium flame stirring constantly till halfstring consistency is reached
. Mix rose water, kesari colour, little crushed saffron to this.

5. Heat oil in a medium sized flat pan with about 1 1/2 inch depth.
6. Take little dough in jangiri cloth ( a cloth with small hole in centre). Close it properly and with gentle pressure put two continuous circles (clock-wise direction) of two inch diameter in oil and continue with chain like rings (anti clock-wise direction) on top of it so that jangiri shape is formed.

7. Turn over gently when it is cooked. (Do not fry very crisp )
Colour of jangiri should not change.
8. Take it out from oil, drain excess oil and put in hot sugar syrup.
9. Allow it to soak for one minute turning once in between. (or till next batch of jangiris are fried.)
10. Remove from syrup and arrange on a flat plate.
11. Repeat the process of frying till all the dough is over.

[html:65d39d98f2]
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/584/jejebi.jpg
[/html:65d39d98f2]

rajraj
8th November 2010, 10:38 PM
kugan: Nice halwaa! enakku neenga halwaa kodukkalaame! :) Pack a slice of both and send me! Halwaa is the only sweet I take ! :lol:

selvieam
8th November 2010, 11:19 PM
kugan,
wonderful receipes, halwaaas are looking great and so tempting. but very tired of making palagrams for diwali. let us give a month gap and then will try.

kugan98
9th November 2010, 11:13 AM
JELABI

Ingredients:

2 cups All Purpose Flour
1-1/2 tbsp Rice flour
1/4th tsp Baking powder
2 tbsp Curd
3 cups Sugar
2-1/2 cups Water
1/2 tsp Cardamom (powdered)
Ghee or Vegetable oil for frying

How to make Jelabi
Mix the flour, rice flour, baking powder, curd in a bowl.
Mix well, add water and whisk until smooth.
Set aside for about 3 hours to ferment.
Whisk thoroughly before use.
Prepare one string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water.
Just before the syrup is ready add cardamom powder.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan
Pour the batter in a steady stream into the pan to form coils
I used a cleaned coconut shell with one hole.
Make 2 or 3 at a time.
Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown.
Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in the sugar syrup.
Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
Take them out of syrup and serve hot.
Jelabi is ready.

[html:22586d961a]
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9909/jalebione.jpg
[/html:22586d961a]

kugan98
9th November 2010, 12:02 PM
[tscii]Selviem for you.

ASOKA HALWA
Ingredients:

1 cup moong dal soaked for ½ an hour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup ghee
2 to 2 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbs cashew nuts chopped and fried in ghee
Few drops of orange food colouring plus 2 tbs of milk.
A pinch of salt

Method:
Heat little ghee in a wok, add the flour and stir fry until there is a nice aroma. Keep aside .

Cook the moong dal in 3 cups of water till soft.
Mash till smooth, or blend when cold.
Add sugar to this mixture.

In a wok add the moong dal sugar mixture, roasted flour
Orange colour and the ghee.
Cook the mixture till the whole thing becomes a mass and leaves the sides of the wok. You have to cook on medium heat and keep on stirring, so that it would not get burnt.

When the halwa is cooked add the cardamom powder and the roasted nuts. Dish out on to a container and level with a spoon.
Let it cool before cutting it into slices.
You can even serve the halwa hot

[html:a1e5766baf]
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5481/asokahalwa.jpg
[/html:a1e5766baf]

kugan98
9th November 2010, 12:21 PM
Selviem your request.

KASI HALWA

Ingredients:

500 grms white pumpkin grated
300 grms sugar
1 tbs cashew nuts broken and roasted in ghee
1 tbs raisins roasted in ghee
3 tbs ghee
Little kesari powder
Little cardamom powder
Little nutmeg powder
Water just to cover the sugar.

Method:
Squeeze the grated pumpkin with a muslin cloth.
Keep aside. (drink the juice do not waste it )
In a wok, add in the sugar, water, and kesari powder.
In a slow flame , stir till the sugar dissolves.
Add in the squeezed pumpkin and keep on stirring.
The halwa will thicken when almost cooked.
Add in the cashew nuts, raisins and all the powders with enough ghee.
Stir nicely, when it leaves the sides remove to a container.
The consistency will be a bit soft.
Serve hot or cold in a container with a spoon.

[html:a9435eb683]
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9420/kasihalwa.jpg
[/html:a9435eb683]

kugan98
9th November 2010, 12:27 PM
CARROT HALWA

Ingredients:

500 grms carrots peeled and grated very fine
1 cup milk
3 tbs milk powder
70 grms ghee
1 cup sugar more or less
1 tbs roasted in ghee cashew nuts
1 tbs roasted in ghee raisins
A pinch of cardamom powder.

Method:
Heat ghee in a non-stick pot. Add the grated carrots and milk.
Cook on medium heat stirring constantly
Turn down the heat and allow the carrot to cook until soft.
Mash it nicely with a potato masher.
Add in the sugar and milk powder
Stir constantly until the mixture is thick enough to come
Away from the sides in one lump.
Now add the nuts, raisins and the cardamom powder.
Stir once and turn onto a greased dish.
Serve warm or cold.

[html:153b259438]
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5939/carrothalwa.jpg
[/html:153b259438]

kugan98
9th November 2010, 12:34 PM
[tscii]

ACHU MURUKKU WITH EGGS

Ingredients:
500 grms rice flour (not fried or steamed)
250 grms sugar little more or less
200 grms corn flour
2 eggs
A wee bit salt
Oil
Enough coconut mik 1st and 2nd milk
The moulds to make achu murukku

Method:
In a container mix the flours, salt , sugar and eggs
Add enough milk to make a batter, a little
Thinner than dosa batter.

Heat oil in a wok. Put the moulds in the oil to become slightly hot.
Dip the the mould ¾ in the batter.
The batter will stick to the mould.
Hold the mould fully immersed in oil for a second.
The murkku will leave the mould when it is little cooked.
Fry till is brown and crisp and remove.

Do not have a very high heat.
The important thing is if the mould is very hot the flour will cling
To the mould and will fall back in the batter.
If the mould is not hot enough, the flour will not cling to the mould.
DO NOT DIP THE WHOLE MOULD FULLY IN THE BATTER
ONLY ¾ OF THE MOULD.

As you make the murukku, the batter will become a bit thick.
You can add little milk or water to get the right consistency.
With practice you can make perfect achu murukkus.

[html:03a077d442]
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5774/achumurukku.jpg
[/html:03a077d442]

kugan98
9th November 2010, 12:39 PM
[tscii]
EGGLESS ACHU MURUKKU (ROSE COOKIES)

Ingredients:

1 cup rice flour
½ cup plain flour
1/8 th cup corn flour
Sieve the 3 flours well together

1 ¼ cup thick coconut milk
½ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
A pinch of white lime (chunnambu )
Oil for frying

Method:
Put the flours, sugar, white lime and coconut milk in a bowl.
Mix well till the sugar dissolves.
Beat the batter till it becomes smooth.

Heat oil in a wok over medium flame.
Take the achu murukku mould and dip it into the oil to make it hot.
When the mould is hot, dip it into the batter.
Take care not to let the batter cover more than ¾ of the height on the mould.

Plunge the mould into the hot oil and hold for a minute.
Then slip the murukku off the mould by shaking it gently.
Let the murukku cook for 1-2 minute till it turns lightly brown.
Remove and drain onto a kitchen paper towel.
When cool store in a airtight tin.

[html:571ba2696b]
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6748/amurukku.jpg
[/html:571ba2696b]

tvsankar
9th November 2010, 12:39 PM
kugan,
reply parthen. theirnjinden. thank u.
Nejama doubt . adhan kaeten.

got it kugan.

tvsankar
9th November 2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks for asoka and kasi alwha.

senjutu vnadhu - enna achu nu solren.

kugan98
9th November 2010, 12:49 PM
[tscii]MANOHARAM

Ingredients:
2 cups rice flour
½ cup urad dal flour
4 tbs ghee
2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
Water
Oil

Method.
Mix the two flours, salt and ghee.
Add few sprinkles of water and knead to a soft dough.
Heat oil in a wok. Put the dough in a murukku ural
With one hole disk. Press the dough directly into the oil.
As the dough falls move the press in a circular motion
So that it is distributed evenly in the oil.
Cook until the dough strings are golden crispy.
Break the fried strings into pieces, apporoximately one inch long.

In a wok add the sugar and water and make into syrup.
Just like sippi, add in the fried strings and stir till it crystilize.
Remove and cool. You can use brown sugar or white sugar.

Note; you can even use a little red colour to your white sugar syrup.

[html:8cceded66a]
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5810/manoharam.jpg
[/html:8cceded66a]

kugan98
9th November 2010, 02:10 PM
[tscii]
MYSORE PAK

Ingredients:
• 1 cup bengal gram flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 1/2 cups ghee
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 tsp cardomom powder
Method:
• Sieve the bengal gram flour once.
• Roast it on a hot wok for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Set aside.
• Heat the ghee in a pan. Keep aside.
• Put the sugar in another pan and add 1 cup of water to it. Cook till it becomes one string syrup.
• Add the roasted flour to the sugar syrup stirring constantly. .
• Pour in half the ghee in a steady stream into the flour and sugar mixture, keep stirring well.
• Now add the rest of the ghee and stir in. Cook till the mixture turns light brown and becomes porous and spongy like bread.
• Sprinkle the cardamom powder over the mixture and turn out immediately into a 9" shallow tray.
• The mixture sets within a minute.
• With a sharp knife cut into 1 1/2 inch squares at immediately.

[html:26c51a40bd]
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/172/mysorepak.jpg
[/html:26c51a40bd]

kugan98
9th November 2010, 02:47 PM
[tscii]RAVA KESARI

1 cup rava roasted with little ghee
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of ghee
1 ½ cups of water
2 tbs broken cashew nuts
2 tbs raisins
A pinch of salt
A pinch of kesari colour
A pinch of cardamom powder
A drop of rose essence

Roast rava with 1 tbs of ghee in a pan for 5 minutes. Keep aside.
Boil 1 1/2 cups of water , add little salt and kesari colour.
Now add the rava and keep stirring until the rava is cooked.
Now add sugar, and mix everything well. Add the essence.
Finally add the remaining ghee and simmer the stove and keep stirring until everything mixes well.
Fry cashews, raisins and in little ghee and add this to above.
Mix well, put in a tray and cut into slices, or just scoop and serve.

[html:5d5b281f40]
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5950/kesari.jpg
[/html:5d5b281f40]

kugan98
10th November 2010, 12:21 PM
[tscii]

This is my friend ELJAY’S fool proof mysore pak recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup besan flour ( roast and then sift it, so it is fine)
2 cups sugar
1 to 2 cups ghee

Mix the besan and sugar with a little water, so that it resembles thick dosai batter. Add a little ghee to this, and stir over low heat in a thick bottomed pan. Add ghee as you stir, till the mixture reaches a thick paste consistency. Now continue to stir till it begins to leave the sides of the pan, and is frothy and begins to lighten in colour.

When you pour it on the greased plate, it should spread and as it does, it should have air escaping in bubbles on the top. That is what makes it light. Before it cools, cut with a sharp greased knife.

I like this method of making mysore pak, because it eliminates the need for me to check the consistency of the sugar syrup.

You should get about 25 pieces in this recipe. As you increase the ghee, it becomes lighter and tastier

kugan98
10th November 2010, 12:35 PM
This recipe belongs to my good friend Supree.
Try it friends.

CASHEW COCONUT BURFI

Ingredients:

Cashew 1 cup
Fresh grated coconut (don't add the black part) 1 cup
Milk 1 cup
Sugar as given below
Ghee 2 tbsp (Yes only 2 tbsp)

No need to add any spices to this to get the real taste of cashew. If you prefer you can add a little elaichi powder.

Preparation:

Soak the cashew in water for 6-8 hours till it is soft. Wash and drain the water. Grind it with coconut and milk to a fine paste (add only enough milk to grind it into smooth paste). Measure this in a cup. You need to add 1 times sugar to this batter. If the grinded paste is measured to 1 cup add 1 cups sugar to it. Add the remaining milk too with this. Mix everything well in a MW vessel. (If you reduce the sugar, the result may vary). Grease a plate with tbsp ghee.

Start cooking on high for 10 minutes stirring in between by adding the remaining 1 tbsp ghee at intervals. After 10 minutes reduce the heat to medium and cook for 2-3 mts only. (This may slightly differ depending on your MW power as well.) You must have reached the consistency by this time. Spread it on the greased plate and cut it.

You won't find it very heavy as the amount of ghee is reduced to the minimum. If you are going to prepare it on the stove, add more ghee (approximately 1/2 cup). It was very tasty with the rich cashew taste.

[html:b3401bbf67]
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4240/cashewburfione.jpg
[/html:b3401bbf67]

pavalamani pragasam
10th November 2010, 12:58 PM
[tscii]

This is my friend ELJAY’S fool proof mysore pak recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup besan flour ( roast and then sift it, so it is fine)
2 cups sugar
1 to 2 cups ghee

Mix the besan and sugar with a little water, so that it resembles thick dosai batter. Add a little ghee to this, and stir over low heat in a thick bottomed pan. Add ghee as you stir, till the mixture reaches a thick paste consistency. Now continue to stir till it begins to leave the sides of the pan, and is frothy and begins to lighten in colour.

When you pour it on the greased plate, it should spread and as it does, it should have air escaping in bubbles on the top. That is what makes it light. Before it cools, cut with a sharp greased knife.

I like this method of making mysore pak, because it eliminates the need for me to check the consistency of the sugar syrup.

You should get about 25 pieces in this recipe. As you increase the ghee, it becomes lighter and tastier
This is exactly the recipe followed by my mil who learnt it from her elder sister. I too find it best as a foolproof method unlike my mother's traditional method of making sugar syrup first.
This Diwali I invented a new 3-in-one sweet! Mistakes luckily lead to new creations: having lost touch with making laddu since when my kids were small I had the strange desire to try it again. Alas! I had misplaced the recipe and the result was a reference to another book recipe and watery mix!!! :shock: I racked my brain to make up for the extra syrup. Added a little pottukadalai powder. It improved the mix only to a little extent. Then I roasted a little rawa and grated coconut in ghee and powdered it in mixie and added it to the laddu mix! Wow! I made nice laddus tasting good- laddu+coconut burfi+rawa laddu rolled into one! :D

selvieam
10th November 2010, 01:43 PM
kugan, thanks for introducing easy mysore pak and MW cashew burfi. it looks awesome, will try after some time.

kugan98
10th November 2010, 05:08 PM
[tscii]

THENKUZAL

Ingredients:

4 cups rice flour
1 cup roasted urad dal flour
1 tbs butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp sesame seeds
¼ tsp asafetida powder
A pinch of ajowan
Salt to taste
Coconut milk or water (warm the milk or water )
Oil

Method:
Combine all the dry ingredients and butter.
Add enough coconut milk or water.
Make a soft dough. Knead well.
Fit a metal snack press with five holed disk
Fill with dough. Press into a shape of murukku
on to a square piece of plastic paper.

Heat the oil and drop the murukku slowly.
Deep fry until the murukku is crispy.
Remove and drain. Cool and store.
This murukku will be white in colour.

[html:32b63e90fd]
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1201/murukku2.jpg
[/html:32b63e90fd]

kugan98
10th November 2010, 05:13 PM
[tscii]

MULU MURUKKU

Ingredients:

4 cups rice flour
1 cup Moong dhal flour
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 cups coconut milk
Salt ( as needed)
1 tbsp ghee
Oil for deep frying:

Method:
Dry fry the moong dhal flour until the raw smell goes.
Mix in a bowl all the ingredients except oil and make a stiff dough.
Fill in the murukku press, (I used a single star nozzle) and deep fry in hot oil.

[html:66cba40616]
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/618/mullumurukku.jpg
[/html:66cba40616]

kugan98
10th November 2010, 05:20 PM
[tscii] KAI MURUKKU

Ingredients

1/2kg rice flour
5 tbsp roasted urad dhal flour
5 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
1kg cooking oil for frying

Method
Mix rice flour, urad dhal flour, butter, cumin seeds and salt and form a dough.

Take a lump of dough in your fist and using the fingers to push the dough out, form a rope-like pattern, shaping it into a spiral at the same time — you can use a circular board of the desired size as guide. Make three circles for a small spiral and five circles for a big spiral.

Each time you run out of dough, take another lump of dough and start again, connecting one end with the other to form a continuous spiral.

Deep-fry the spirals in a wok of oil until golden brown on both sides.

[html:76058aa6d5]
http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/633/img4228.jpg
[/html:76058aa6d5]

dev
10th November 2010, 05:35 PM
kalakkureenga K...:clap:

kugan98
10th November 2010, 05:40 PM
KAARA MURUKKU

Ingredients:

4 cups rice flour
1 cup besan flour
Salt to taste
2 tbsp white sesame seeds
2 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp warm oil
a pinch of asafetida
1 tbsp red chilly powder
Oil for deep frying

Method:

Mix Rice flour, the gram flour, salt, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, red chilly powder, and the 2 tablespoons of oil, in a bowl. Add water little by little to make a soft dough.

Heat oil in a wok, fix the star shaped plate into the mould, place a ball of dough in the mould. Press it over a clean plastic sheet.

Remove them carefully and deep fry in batches of three or four. Fry on both sides until crispy. Drain over a paper towel, let it cool completely, conserve in an air-tight container. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the dough .

I made them into small circles.

[html:3555627e01]
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7573/karamurukk.jpg
[/html:3555627e01]

kugan98
10th November 2010, 05:57 PM
Ribbon Pakoda

Ingredients:
1 cup channa dal flour
3 cups rice flour
3/4 tbs chilli powder (less for milder taste)
1/4 tsp asafetida powder
1 tbs crushed cummin seeds
salt to taste
oil for frying.

Method:
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, except oil.
Add water little at a time to make a soft dough.

Heat oil in a wok.
Spoon the dough into a snack press fitted with a the pakoda plate.
Squeeze the dough through the press directly into the hot oil.

As the ribbons fall, move the press around in a circular motion.
When the ribbons are crisp and golden, remove from oil, and drain. When cooled store in airtight container.

[html:e0808163a3]
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1865/ribbonpakoda.jpg
[/html:e0808163a3]

kugan98
10th November 2010, 07:13 PM
BUTTER MURUKKU

Ingredients:

1 kg rice
350 grms roasted channa dal (pottu kadalai)
60 grms butter
1 tbs cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Boiled cooled water water
Oil to fry.

Method:

Soak the rice for 4 hours.
Drain dry a little and make it into powder
Dry roast the flour a little, sieve and keep aside.

Dry grind the roasted channa dal.
Sieve and mix with the rice flour.

Add in the cumin seeds, butter, salt and enough water.
Make it into a plaiable dough. Like chapathi flour.

Heat the oil in a wok. Use a one star disc of your achu.
Fill the murukku ural. Now press the dough directly into the oil.
The murukku will break off into about 2 inches in length on its own.
That is the correct patham for the dough.

Fry till cooked and remove it to a kitchen roll paper.
Let it cool well before storing in a tin.
This type of butter murukku will melt in your mouth.

[html:b0bc332a0a]
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6185/buttermurukku.jpg
[/html:b0bc332a0a]

kugan98
10th November 2010, 07:20 PM
THATTAI

Ingredients:
200 grms rice flour
50 grms chick peas flour
50 grms urad dal flour
50 grms channa dal soaked in water for 30 minutes
1 tsp cumin seeds
tsp chillie powder
1 tsp sesame seeds
Few curry leaves crushed
2 tsp melted butter
A pinch of hing
Salt
Oil to fry

Method:
Mix everything together,add the drained channa dal.
Add water little by little to make the dough as murukku dough.
Make small lime size balls and flatten each ball as thin as possible.
Let them dry a little on a cloth or paper
Deep fry until brown and crispy.
A very nice snack for evening tea.

[html:7d8246ad3d]
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6469/1tattai1.jpg
[/html:7d8246ad3d]

kugan98
11th November 2010, 03:00 PM
[tscii]OMMAPODI

Ingredients:
1 tbs omum
1 ½ cups besan flour
½ cup rice flour
½ tsp chillie powder
Little asafoetida powder
Salt to taste

Method:

Soak omum in warm water for about an hour before preparing the ommapodi.
Grind it along with little water.Then strain the liquid and keep the water aside

.In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients and knead the dough with omum water.
Add enough water so that the dough is more or else similar to the chapati dough .

In a big wok add oil for deep frying and let it become hot
.With the help of the omapodi presser add small portions of dough and squeeze it in small portions into the hot oil . Fry till the bubbles calm down.
Remove and drain the excess oil, on a kitchen paper.
Cool and store in an airtight tin.

[html:06e58babb4]
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/7219/ommapodi.jpg
[/html:06e58babb4]

kugan98
11th November 2010, 03:07 PM
[tscii]KARA BOONTHI

Ingredients:
500 grms besan flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tbs vegetable oil
Pinch of asafetida
Salt to taste
Oil to fry

For garnishing:
2 tsp dry chillie powder
½ a cup of curry leaves
few roasted cashew nuts
4 pips of garlic smashed with the skin (optional)

Method:
In a bowl mix the baking powder, salt and the vegetable oil.
Rub nicely till it becomes frothy.
Now add the gram flour and mix nicely.
Add warm water and mix it into a thin batter without any lumps.

Heat oil in a wok, take a boonthi spoon( the spoon with lot of holes.
If you pour the batter over the spoon it should produce small rain drop size boonthis)

Now holding the spoon above the oil, take little batter and run over
The spoon at the same time slightly shake the spoon.
Do not over load the oil. Fry little boonthi at a time.
Remove the crisp fried boonthis on to a kitchen paper.
Do this till all the batter is finished.

Now fry the curry leaves, and the smashed garlic in the oil.
Mix the curry leaves, garlic, little salt , roasted cashew nuts and the chillie powder in the fried boonthis. Mix nicely and keep in an air tight container once it is
Really cooled. Serve as a snack.

[html:92b8cf5d14]
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5466/kboonthi.jpg
[/html:92b8cf5d14]

kugan98
11th November 2010, 03:20 PM
[tscii]

MIXTURE:

Ingredients you’ll have to Prepare for the Mixture:

5cups of Omapodi
3 cups of Boondi
1 cup of ribbon pakodah
1 cup fried channa dal
½ a cup of raw Peanuts
¼ cup cashew nuts
3 cups Beaten Rice/ Aval
2 tsp coarsely powdered red chilly ( more if you like)
salt powder to taste
2 sprigs curry leaves

PS: the quantity of Omapodi, Boondhi , Beaten rice can be increased or decreased according to your needs

OMMAPODI
Ingredients:
2 cups gram flour
½ a cup Rice flour
1 tsp finely powdered ommam
¼ tsp asafetida
Salt (1 tsp or +/-according to your tastes)
Oil for deep frying

Method:
Mix salt, powdered ommam and asafetida in half a cup of water.

Sift gram flour and Rice flours in a bowl and add the prepared water to it little by little. Knead well (may add a little more water if necessary) to make soft smooth dough. The dough should be like a chapatti dough consistency neither too hard nor too soggy.

Heat enough oil for deep frying (maybe more than 3 cups) and reduce it to medium high.

Fill up a murukku press with the dough and use the plate with small minute holes (for omapodi ) to press out the omapodi in the oil. Fry until slightly colored and turn it over.
Remove and drain when it is crispy and uniformly colored.
Crush them when it comes to room temperature and store it in an airtight container.

RIBBON PAKODA:
Ribbon pakoda is made the same way as ommapodi.
Use the ribbon pokoda disc in the murukku press.

FRIED CHANNA DAL:
Soak the channa dal for about 2 hours.
Drain the water and deep fry in oil, drain and keep aside

BOONDHI:
Ingredients:
2 cups Gram flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp oil
Ghee/Oil for deep frying (approximately 4 cups)

Method:

Mix the salt and baking soda along with the gram flour and add oil and knead until you get a crumbly mixture.

Add water gradually, so that you get a smooth batter (like the Dosa batter consistency, it should be neither too thick nor too watery but should have a smooth flowing consistency).

Heat ghee or oil in a wok, on medium flame; pour the mixed batter through a boondi maker by spreading the batter with a spoon or a spatula so that small drops of boondi fall in the ghee.

Fry until they become crispy. Drain on a paper towel and do the same for the rest of the batter.

Keep aside for the mixture.

BEATEN RICE (AVAL):
Fry the beaten/flattened rice flakes until crispy (always on medium flame) and keep aside.

Deep fry the peanuts , cashew nuts and the curry leaves and keep aside.

Sift together the chilly powder, salt and (given under the ingredients of mixture) in a separate bowl.

Gather all the fried Omapodi & Ribbon pakoda (crush them into small pieces), Boondi, the beaten rice , fried channa dal, the curry leaves , cashew nuts and the peanuts together in a large bowl or vessel.
Sprinkle the chilly/salt/ powder on it and stir it all together and let it come to room temperature before storing it in air tight containers.

[html:b355009b30]
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1092/mixture.jpg
[/html:b355009b30]

kugan98
11th November 2010, 03:24 PM
DIAMOND CUTS

Ingredients:
500 grms all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs butter
2 tbs of coriander leaves cut very fine
3 birds eye chillie ground very fine
4 small red onions ground fine
Salt to taste
Water to knead
Oil to fry

Method:
Mix all the above ingredients in a large bowl.
Use minimum water and knead like a chappati dough.
Keep it aside for about 20 minutes.
Roll into chappatis and cut into small diamonds.
Fry in hot oil till crisp.
Cool and store in air tight containers.

A tip given by my grandmother.
After rolling into chappati, just put it on a dosa kal
For a second on both sides.
It would be easier to cut into diamonds.

[html:31c550863a]
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3647/guntinggunting.jpg
[/html:31c550863a]

r2tchasi
11th October 2011, 01:08 PM
No newer contributions? :-)
Nov bro, I am making coconut candy again this year..using your recipe!

Kugan is spoiling me crazy with all of her recipes!

NOV
11th October 2011, 01:54 PM
Nov bro, I am making coconut candy again this year..using your recipe!:clap: :clap:
me too... and mysore paak... and achi murukku and sippi...

Balaji.r
11th October 2011, 02:44 PM
Sippi enna?

NOV
11th October 2011, 03:00 PM
Sippi enna?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CUMQ1Rgv1Ks/TPoB7Z3afYI/AAAAAAAAECk/NO7fEZbZylc/s1600/kuih+siput.JPG

raagadevan
21st October 2011, 02:36 AM
"Eat healthy this Diwali"

http://www.thehindu.com/health/diet-and-nutrition/article2555183.ece

NOV
22nd October 2011, 04:34 PM
Rub margarine into white wheat flour. Add salt and sesame seeds (ellu)
Add enough water to make a soft dough. Leave to rest.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/303809_10150418452997629_720372628_10471332_989696 421_n.jpg

After a few hours, take tiny pieces of dough and make small balls (smaller than seedai).
Rub the balls against a serrated surface and roll, to make the shape.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/303809_10150418453002629_720372628_10471333_127826 8681_n.jpg

This is how it should look like, before you start frying...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/303809_10150418453012629_720372628_10471335_814010 99_n.jpg

Now, you are ready to deep fry. Do not worry if the sippis are clumped before you fry them. They will separate in hot oil.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/303809_10150418453017629_720372628_10471336_186508 4601_n.jpg

The sippi is now ready to go! :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/295993_10150418454717629_720372628_10471353_166360 446_n.jpg

madhu
22nd October 2011, 07:15 PM
sippi irukkuthu. photo irukkudhu. kadichu paaka mudiyavilladi raajaathi..
NoV anna.. athai vella paagula potta appuram oru photo eduthu podunga.
atleast paathu rasikkalaam.

NOV
23rd October 2011, 12:11 PM
annaa, this is basic sippi....
one can either make sweet sippi by using vella paagu OR
make kaara sippi by adding chilly powder and deep-fried karuveppilai...
my children love eating just the basic ones... :D

inazerowmo
17th October 2012, 08:43 AM
It's that time of the year to revive this thread again!! :cheer::happydance::swinghead::2thumbsup:

NOV
17th October 2012, 08:57 AM
what are making this year AR?
I am thinking of avoiding all hard work and visit brickfields/tengku kelana this year :D

madhu
17th October 2012, 10:01 AM
Little India ? :shock:

ennenna items kidaikkum ?

NOV
17th October 2012, 10:04 AM
yes annaa.... ellaa palagaara items-um kedaikkum :D

madhu
17th October 2012, 10:12 AM
adhellam OK.. enakku slurpee podhum :slurp:

doriyan bajji senju try pannalam..

NOV
17th October 2012, 10:15 AM
doriyan bajji senju try pannalam..http://businessjakarta.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/fried-durian-juliansi-blogspot-com.jpg

madhu
17th October 2012, 11:12 AM
supeb !! :clap:

next time varappo kandippa saapte aaganum :yes:

inazerowmo
17th October 2012, 01:46 PM
what are making this year AR?
I am thinking of avoiding all hard work and visit brickfields/tengku kelana this year :D

For sasthiram, I will make nei urundai, kesari, besan laddu (thanks to Kugan) and coconut candy (thanks to your mom :-D) at home. Murukku and the likes will be bought.

I'm craving for sitthurundai already.

kugan98
17th October 2012, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by madhu
doriyan bajji senju try pannalam..

NOV anneh, why this idea did not strike me?
How do you do the durian bajji?
Do you fry with the seeds like we do with Cempedak?
Thanks Kugan

kugan98
17th October 2012, 05:52 PM
For sasthiram, I will make nei urundai, kesari, besan laddu (thanks to Kugan) and coconut candy (thanks to your mom :-D) at home. Murukku and the likes will be bought.

I'm craving for sitthurundai already.

Dear Ratchasi, you can find the sitthurundai recipe also in the Deepavali thread.
Try it, it is very easy.
Thanks, Kugan

NOV
11th November 2012, 07:30 AM
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/63861_515326825146343_714509085_n.jpg

Kaju Pista Roll

Ingredients :
2 1/2 cups - kaju powder (cashew nut).
1/2 cup - sugar for kaju mixture.
1 cup - pista powder (pistachio).
1/2 cup - sugar (heaped) for pista mixture saffron for decoration.

Method :-
Add water to 1/2 cup sugar, heat and prepare a semi thick syrup.
Add kaju powder, mix well on a low flame till it thickens slightly, keep aside to cool a little.
Add water to 1/2 cup sugar, heat and prepare a semi thick syrup.
Add pistachio powder, mix well on a low flame till it thickens slightly, keep aside to cool a little.
Make balls out of kaju mixture.
Make balls out of pista mixture of about 1/3 size of kaju balls and then make cylindrical shape.
Flatten the kaju balls and shape it to cover over pistachio cylinder.
Give a proper shape with hands, roll with little palm pressure on rolling board so that the pistachio mixture is completely covered.
If desired decorate with saffron paste dots or lines with a thin stick.

Text Copyright by : sify

madhu
11th November 2012, 04:40 PM
anna..

idhu neenga senju partheengala ?

NOV
11th November 2012, 06:16 PM
illai annaa.. waiting for you to do for me...
its my favourite!

madhu
11th November 2012, 06:41 PM
I will get it either from Krishna sweets or Grand sweets :slurp:

ungalukkum adhethan ! :cheer:

NOV
3rd November 2018, 01:17 PM
It's that time of the year to revive this thread again!! :yes::pink::victory::redjump::bluejump::cheer::swi nghead:

raagadevan
4th November 2018, 07:05 AM
Early morning conversations with idli

By Akila Kannadasan - The Hindu, November 02, 2018

https://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/food/early-morning-conversations-with-idli/article25400846.ece?homepage=true

"Idli and mutton curry has been had for breakfast on Deepavali in several Tamil households for generations".