PDA

View Full Version : flashbacks

VENKIRAJA
24th February 2007, 11:31 AM
Several films show the mirage of recalling.How does the the so called 'Flashbacks' appeal to the tamizh audience?It becomes a part n parcel of life that we remember previously occured instances or a dejavu as in ullam ketkume.Tamil films also have a lot of flashbacks as pillars of the basic screenplay.Lets discuss.My personal favourites are the climax of nayagan,where the song "thenpaandi cheemaiyile" is played and the entire life of Velu naicker moves in the filmroll as shots.Exemplary film-making by Manirathnam in that case.Or imagine roshomon,where the whole film displays its kaleidoscopic view.Ramana had a moving flashback,Autograph too.Puthiya paravai showcases one,mindblowingly.What else?

kb
24th February 2007, 11:34 AM
baasha :!:

bingleguy
24th February 2007, 11:43 AM
Nenjam Marappadhillai .,.....

Flash back kosivathi churulai romba ootiyadhaal .... indha jenmathulendhu pona jenmam varaikkum poirukkum flash back ;-)

:lol:

Citizen flashback was good .....

Thullaadha Manamum Thullum :-) Vijay kadhaye oru flashback andha padathula ....

Tia
24th February 2007, 07:32 PM
I liked the way in thenali where kamal gives a short flashback to the dr on their holiday....here makes a zweeeeenggggg sound and makes circles with this finger and the DR's like WTF and he goes this is the way they show flashbacks in tamil films ! :lol:

Ramakrishna
24th February 2007, 07:40 PM
Indian, Gentleman

ajaybaskar
24th February 2007, 07:45 PM
Pokkiri.... :D :D :D

Ramakrishna
24th February 2007, 07:48 PM

ithula yethu flashbacku? Oh antha Police dress scene-ah? Sathyamaa antha dress Vijay ku asingamaa irunthathu :lol:

Tia
24th February 2007, 09:49 PM
:hammer: :curse: :poke: :lol:

ithula yethu flashbacku? Oh antha Police dress scene-ah? Sathyamaa antha dress Vijay ku asingamaa irunthathu :lol:

Kollywoodfan
24th February 2007, 09:54 PM
:banghead: back to the topic

Alai Payuthey...the mini flashbacks inserted :D
Thullatha Manamum Thullam...wow, basically the whole movie :wink:
Citizen...whole mass killing was so powerful and had me in tears :cry:
Mounam Pesuthey...the end, when Surya remembers Laila in college

ajithfederer
24th February 2007, 10:23 PM
Indian

thinkfloyd
24th February 2007, 10:27 PM
Rashomon had flashback within flashback...

Virumaandi
Mahanadhi

MADDY
24th February 2007, 11:25 PM
Alai Payuthey...the mini flashbacks inserted :D

AP was one of its kind narrations in the history of tamil films......actually the movie is abt a day only....Hindi saathiya was promoted as movie about a day in a couple's life.......Mani-na mani dhaan 8-)

Tia
25th February 2007, 10:02 PM
Friends...my favo one ever! :D a nice funny and jolly flashback then to a sad situation :cry: and then a happy ending! :D

raaja_rasigan
26th February 2007, 07:00 PM
cool climax...

RAMANA - with that 2 children & also captain looks somewht younger than usual + simran

Prasanna
2nd March 2007, 06:57 PM
Raam. The scenes during the enquiry

thimuru
2nd March 2007, 07:18 PM
roshomon - first movie to have a flashback...

what a way to start a flashback

Surya
9th March 2007, 03:26 AM
Flashbacks were best handled in Aitha Ezuthu! :clap:

I know it was copied, but still, the best in tamil! 8-)

Nerd
9th March 2007, 03:37 AM

You say what ?? Are you sure :? Well it may depend upon how do you define flashbacks :P

Movie Cop
9th March 2007, 04:40 AM
In terms of innovative flashbacks - Flashbacks in Virumaandi and AE were very good. Especially in Virumaandi it was very different because the same flashbacks/events were shown from two individual perspectives! Haven't seen Roshomon but have heard that this style of flashback was borrowed from Roshomon!

In terms of touching flashbacks - Alavandhan ("Anbulla diary" :P) showing the bringing up of the twins and in Kadhal Kondein showing the exploitation of child abuse were very touching ones as well!

In terms of an engaging flashback with surprise twists/turns - The flashback in Baasha comes to mind where Rajini and Raghuvaran engage in a show stealing competition! :)

thimuru
9th March 2007, 09:53 AM

You say what ?? Are you sure :? Well it may depend upon how do you define flashbacks :P

flash back-uku ore defintionthana

read it in "baagya" magazine.....

Aandavan
9th March 2007, 10:55 AM
flashbacks in virumandi and rashomon were picturised much differently, though the idea is inspired..

in rashomon,
each character narrates the incident in a different way . also the visuals are entirely different from each other.. :cool:

but in virumandi,

both the characters narrates the incident in a different way... but, the visuals are exactly the same , except the camera angles.. :clap:

Aandavan
9th March 2007, 10:58 AM
Flashbacks were best handled in Aitha Ezuthu! :clap:

I know it was copied, but still, the best in tamil! 8-)

the screenplay style of Aayitha eluthu is definitely copied from Amores Perros.. even, some scenes like the first scene is copied.. the camera angles were also copied in many scenes.. the BGM for in some maddy scenes, was copied/inspired from the BGMs in that old thaatha scene from AP..

the last scene of AP is similar to the last scene of Anbe sivam.. 8-)

thimuru
9th March 2007, 10:58 AM
flashbacks in virumandi and rashomon were picturised much differently, though the idea is inspired..

in rashomon,
each character narrates the incident in a different way . also the visuals are entirely different from each other.. :cool:

but in virumandi,

both the characters narrates the incident in a different way... but, the visuals are exactly the same , except the camera angles.. :clap:

exactly...in virumaandi the same story is told in a twisted way rather than lying...

its different

unmayai thirithu kooruvadhu...editing is just great

Sanguine Sridhar
9th March 2007, 11:01 AM
Oru chinna doubt, Pasupathy sonnadhu kooda unmaya irrukalam illaya? :?

Querida
9th March 2007, 11:03 AM
I also like Virumaandi's use of flashbacks...only because are complex enough to be fully rounded yet still have so much that is missing....pasupathi's story seems just as likely...it's not biased as you would think a villian's viewpoint would be....it also has the support of how memory usually works so that if pasupathi forgets, skips over parts you might get an unsettling feeling (as i did) but you would not be able to put your finger on it until of course Kamal's version (*this still doesn't answer your doubt SS*)

Though Ghajini had the "typical" kind of the all encompassing flashback in which all that is said in or out of his presence including songs are all included...and of course kind of clumsy with the whole diary gimmick....maybe i'm more critical because the way that "memento" which I remember Ghajini was compared to was much more glaringly true towards the utilization of the flashback. I also remember flashbacks in my kiddy days being in those....i don't what you would call them like in "film negative" sequence...especially if it's a hero/heroine remembering the violence wrought on their family...

thimuru
9th March 2007, 11:05 AM
Oru chinna doubt, Pasupathy sonnadhu kooda unmaya irrukalam illaya? :?

adhu namma yaara herova paakaromgaradha poruthu....it depends upon our perspective

Aandavan
9th March 2007, 11:08 AM
Oru chinna doubt, Pasupathy sonnadhu kooda unmaya irrukalam illaya? :? no... in virumandi . it is clear that kamal's version is the truth.. but in rashomon.. we cant decide that..

thimuru
9th March 2007, 11:16 AM
Oru chinna doubt, Pasupathy sonnadhu kooda unmaya irrukalam illaya? :? no... in virumandi . it is clear that kamal's version is the truth.. but in rashomon.. we cant decide that..

adhukku camera aadhame irukku....sridhar paakala

Sanguine Sridhar
9th March 2007, 11:18 AM
Very true sorry guys :( :oops:

Thimiru neengalum thaan gavanikala pola..!? appram edhukku indha statement?

adhu namma yaara herova paakaromgaradha poruthu....it depends upon our perspective

thimuru
9th March 2007, 11:19 AM
oooiii...adhu oru kaamedikku adichen...
neenga pasupathiya herova paapeengalanu oru kostin..avlothan

Very true sorry guys :( :oops:

Thimiru neengalum thaan gavanikala pola..!? appram edhukku indha statement?

Sanguine Sridhar
9th March 2007, 11:21 AM
Nalla samalikireenga :lol2:

thimuru
9th March 2007, 11:25 AM
Nalla samalikireenga :lol2:

it also depends upon ur perspective... :lol:

Sarna
28th July 2010, 01:35 PM
batsha

VJerry
28th July 2010, 01:59 PM
Manmadhan !

Pras
28th July 2010, 02:13 PM
tamizh padam :

shiva : ithu thaan sir nadanthathu
the other guy : ennappa onnume sollaama "ithu thaan nadanthathu"-nu sollure ??

:rotfl:

avven
28th July 2010, 02:31 PM
tamizh padam :

shiva : ithu thaan sir nadanthathu
the other guy : ennappa onnume sollaama "ithu thaan nadanthathu"-nu sollure ??

:rotfl:
:lol: :lol:

interz
28th July 2010, 04:05 PM
Abhiyum Naanum flashbacks were good

Sentimental and laughable.