PDA

View Full Version : KANYA KUMARI/CAPE COMORIN

padmanabha
17th February 2007, 08:23 PM
[tscii:08ee03c4bf]“I am writing this at the Cape in front of the sea where three waters meet, and furnish a sight unequalled in the world for this is no port of call for vessels; like the Goddess, the waters around are virgin… This place is eminently suited for contemplation. I wish I were to stay here for ever.”
-Mahatma Gandhi 15 January 1937
At noon on Thursday, February the 12th witnessed by millions of people the sacred ashes of Mahatma Gandhi were immersed by Madhava Menon, Minister Government of Madras, at the confluence of the three seas at Cape Comorin, one of the most ancient places of pilgrimage in India.
The epic setting is grand and serene. The confluence of the three mighty oceans, Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean, the perpetual roaring of the many waves of the three in perfect unison, the blazing sun above in the bright blue sky reflecting its brilliant rays on the Ghats, the flight of steps leading to several theerthams, the church, the sattarams, hotels, shops, the temple of Kuamri Kanya, endless stretch of colorful sand, the Memorial of Swami Vivekananda and the statue of Thiruvalluvar in the sea in the Lands End of India-offer ecstasy of enchanted vision.

ANTIQUITY: - From time immemorial kanyakumari had been a centre of attraction. Erosthenes, Ptolemy, Pliny had visited this place ages ago. The Periplus of Arrian written about 800 AD says “There is another palce called komar, where there is a cape with the same name.. Those who wish to consecrate the closing part of their lives to religion come hither, bathe, and engage in celibacy”
Mahabharata and Manimekhalai, refer to this temple.

The latter says that Sati, the wife of a Brahmin of Benares walked all the way to Cape comorin bathed in the sea worshipped the virgin Goddess, and was purged of her sin of unchastity. The literature refers the sea as the “sea of the bracelated goddess.” Durga Gayatri refers this as “KARTHYANYA VITHMAHE KANYA KUMARI DHEEMAHI.”

LEGEND:_
There were two brothers named Banasura and Mukhasura, who by dint of meditation and austerities won from Brahma the blessing of immortal life. These Asuras, who were cruel and callous, caused severe sufferings to the Devas. They requested Siva to save them from the wicked Asura. While Siva was contemplating Parvathi hinted that the asuras were vulnerable so long as they were confronted by a virgin girl.

Parvathi transformed into a kanyaka a virgin. Open hostilities between the asuras and the Goddess took place. In a fight that lasted for 18 days, the asuras were killed. The victory was communicated to SIVA AND HE could accept Parvathi in the virgin form. She was advised to hasten to Dakshinamukham Samudram the present Cape Comorin to do the penance for expiating the sins of war. This is celebrated as the annual festival.

THE TEMPLE:-The place is named after the virgin Goddess. A lofty striped (in red and white) stone wall surrounds the temple. The construction is of the Dravidian architecture.
The entrance is through a grand gate way. It is richly ornamented. The stone pillars and statues the richly decorated heavy columns with protruding brackets, elaborately carved ceilings compel close examination.

The sea ward entrance of the temple is closed. The eastern temple entrance is opened only twice in a year. Tradition has it that, in days of yore the temple door facing the sea was ever kept open and all through the night the flash of the tiara of diamonds that adorn the crown of the Goddess acted as “the light house” of the Cape. Traders who knew this coveted the precious stones. They anchored the ship, marauded the temple. But they could not loot. They retreated in shame. Sine then the entrance remains closed.
The image of Kanya kumari is of granite. It is bedecked with jewels and lavishly decorated. At deeparadhana the temple is in all splendour. Epic of Travancore says, “I love rather to think of Uma whose feet are washed by the Indian Ocean with his two hands the BAY OF BENGAL, and the ARABIAN SEA, winning by her penance the Lord, who has his abode in Kailas northern most point of India.” People believe that a dip in the sea washes all their sins.

SUN RISE AND SUN SET at Cape Comorin are the most fascinating sights.

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA AND KANYA KUMARI:
During his wanderings in quest of Truth he arrived at Cape Comorin. According to one tradition, the original temple was on the rock which was known as Sreepadaparai nearly 600ft from the shore. On the rock there is an impression known as Kumari padam or the holy foot of Kumari Kanya.

On arriving this point he had a prophetic vision, and the enlightenment which he attained on the rock lit up his path and transformed him into a great spiritual leader. The hallowed place/rock is named after him as VIVEKANANDA ROCK. A majestic memorial to Vivekananda was erected there.
Another memorial was erected for Mahatma Gandhi. The structure was constructed in such a way that sunlight falls inside the Samadhi of Gandhi on the 2 of October.
Statue of THIRUVALLUVAR.

On the minor rock adjoining the Vivekananda rock is installed the Statue of Saint Thiruvalluvar, the author of 'Thirukkural', a treatise in Tamil on the Indian way of life.
Foundation was laid in 1979 by Morarji Desai the then PM of India. Fund was allocated in 1990. Five hundred sculptors under the guidance of Ganapathi Sthapathi executed the work. It took 10 years. The site was opened to the public on 1 January 2000. The staue is 133 ft high including the pedestal.The base is 38 ft which is equal to the 38 chapters in the first part of the kural. The three fingers of the right hand of Thiruvalluvar is pointed skywards-representing Aram, porul and inbam. There is a alankaramandapam. Eight elephants indicating the eight directions adorn the base. There is a flight of 180 steps that takes you to the foot of the statue.

[/tscii:08ee03c4bf]

crazy
17th February 2007, 09:47 PM
I have never been in kanyakumari. Hope God bless me to visit that great place and the temple :)

padmanabha
18th February 2007, 12:40 PM
[tscii:363beadd2d]ADDENDUM:-
1.The Goddess did tapas, to wed Siva of Sucheendram. The Lord too accede to her request. All preparations for the marriage were in full swing. At the auspicious hour, the groom did not turn up. The disappointed Goddess, became a stone image and the preparations the sand grains. This accounts for the various kinds of colorful sand!
2. KANYA KUMARI & Ramayana:_
Rama reached Kanya kumari while going in quest of Sita. Devi appeared before him and directed him to go to Rameswaram.
Rama viewed the southern sea from Mahendragiri, a peak of the western ghats, says Valmiki Ramayana (Yuddha kanda). Reghuvamsa of Kalidasa (canto xiii, sloka 2, chapter 5, line 37) describes the view of the sethu stretching up to the Malaya mountain. It is belived that Rama’s sethu commenced from Kanyakumari and embraced Danushkodi. Manimekhalai says that vanara’s built the bridge from kanyakumari (WHICH was nearer then) to Kanya Kumri.
3. kanya kumari inscriptions:-
East wall of the first prakara of the temple:
Tamil alphabet, of the 12/13 century, resembles that of the Kulothunga cholan I.
The record refers to the 9th year of the reign of the Paranthaka Pandyan. It begins with the historical introduction and the kings reforms, like the checking of the inroads of the sea. The king of kupakas offered his daughter in marriage to Paranthaka Pandyan. The king fought a battle at Vizhinjam, now in Trivandrum, and annexed it. The vessels (?) of the kandalur where destroyed. (Kandalur-It is identified as Kanthalur salai where an University akin to Nalanda and Taxila functioned). The weights and measures were in an unsatisfactory condition, and he introduced the system of carps-they were stamped with the royal totem.He donated golden lamps to the temple of ANATHASAYANAM that is Sree Padmanabha, in Trivandrum and granted the village of Tayanallur for their up keep. He dedicated another village, Purattaynadu to Goddess Kanyakumari to feed those who attended the annual function.
[/tscii:363beadd2d]

crazy
18th February 2007, 04:08 PM
what is tapas?

podalangai
19th February 2007, 05:38 AM
what is tapas?
"Tapas" is a Sanskrit word for religious penance and austerities. The equivalent Tamil word is "Thavam".
It has nothing to do with Spanish food :P

crazy
19th February 2007, 12:33 PM
what is tapas?
"Tapas" is a Sanskrit word for religious penance and austerities. The equivalent Tamil word is "Thavam".
It has nothing to do with Spanish food :P

oh, thank u :lol:

devapriya
13th August 2007, 02:47 PM
There are many Literarians from Kanyakumari.

Nagarkovil has many authors.

ANy Reasons.

joe
18th August 2007, 12:14 AM
இயற்கை எழில் கொஞ்சும் குமரி மாவட்டம் -சில படங்கள்

http://cdjm.blogspot.com/2007/07/blog-post_21.html

crazy
18th August 2007, 12:21 AM
I have never been in kanyakumari. Hope God bless me to visit that great place and the temple :)

God has really blessed me :notworthy:

I was there for 3 days :thumbsup:

joe
18th August 2007, 12:21 AM
There are many Literarians from Kanyakumari.

Nagarkovil has many authors.

ANy Reasons.

Not just Nagercoil ,entire Nellai seemai has given lot of Ilakkiyavaathigal.

As you said ,Kanyakumari Dist has given lot of artists and writers.

Few Prominant figures from KK Dist

1.KalaiVanar NS Krishnan
2.KaviMani Desiga Vinayagam Pillai
3.Jeevanadam
4.Avvai shanmugam (Legend of Drama )
5.Seigu Thampi paavalar
6.Dinamalar founder ramasubbaiyar
7.Kumari Ananathan
8.Valter Devaram
9.K.V.Maha devan

writers : Sundara Ramasamy ,Jayamogan ,Thoppil mugamathu meeran ,Ponneelan ,nanjil nadan

MazhaiKuruvi
18th August 2007, 02:15 AM
Does anyone know anything about the history of nAnjil nAdu

I have heard that there is a place called adhangodu somewhere near nagercoil. Tolkappiyam payiram names adhangottu aasaan I think - all going from memory here.

bingleguy
18th August 2007, 07:49 AM
enga namma Cape God Siva va kaanum :-) Kanyakumari nna avaru dhaane ....

Cancer ????? enga yya irukka ?

pavalamani pragasam
18th August 2007, 08:11 AM
One part in the first post needs clarification: the eastern gate closed following looting attempts of the diamonds of the deity's tiara. The story which enthralled me as a child about the eastern gate being kept closed is: the single diamond in the deity's nosestud sparkled so brightly that sailors of ships mistook the brilliance for a lighthouse & approached the shore which is a disastrous thing to do the shore being unfit for anchoring. so in order to avoid further disasters the eastern gate is being kept closed. Anyone who heard a similar story?
As a child I was very amazed by the 3 colour sands my mother kept in 3 bottles which she said she had collected there. The white was a little bigger granules while the red & black where tiny shiny wonders. i have since visited the place a couple of times & my wonder is unmitigated.
Another feature that impressed me in the Gandhi memorial there is a hole in the roof through which sunlight falls on the peedam on Gandhi memorial day.

devapriya
18th August 2007, 08:50 AM
[tscii:caedcace13]I am posting an Article downloaded long back claiming that Thiruvalluvar was born in Kanyakumari.

NAGERCOIL: The birthplace of saint Tiruvalluvar has always been a matter of debate for historians. Now, the Kanyakumari Historical and Cultural Research Centre has thrown new light on this subject.

The Centre claims that Tiruvalluvar hailed from Kanyakumari district. And as proof of this, it has identified Tiruvallurvar worship in Kani tribal belt on two hillocks, ‘Valluvan Kalportrai’ and ‘Valluvathi Kalportrai’ (the second named after Tiruvalluvar’s wife).

This fact was unearthed during a field research conducted by a team of researchers, headed by Dr Padmanabhan and comprising Dr P Srikumar and Dr Suresh, in Koovaikadu Kani belt area where Tiruvalluvar worship is practiced by 32-odd Kani families on the twin hillocks.

According to Kalian Kani, an aged tribal chief, Tiruvalluvar ruled over Valluvan country and the hillocks - Valluvan Kalportrai and Valluvathi Kalportrai - were once the favourite haunt of the saint-king Valluvar. (Historians say that Valluvar was once Valluvan and the change of name indicates the respect and honour given to the saint.)

Legend has it that the Kanis deified Valluvar and the two hillocks are considered holy to this day. A special ritual, ‘Valluvan Kodithi’ is still performed at ‘Valluvan Paatham’, ‘footprint’ of Saint Valluvar, for good rains.

The Kani tribals, beating the traditional chendai (drums), offer honey and Thinai flour to Saint Valluvar during prayers. Dr Suresh, who has done his research on Kani tribals, said, ‘‘Certain couplets in Thirukural have graphical description of Kanis’ hunting habits - the Kanis mimic the call of birds to lure their prey and shoot them down with arrows. And this has been narrated in couplet No 274 in Thirukural, he said.

Going by research done over a few decades in linguistics, oral traditions, calligraphy, social norms, customs and habits, the birthplace of saint Valluvar could be somewhere in Kanya Kumari district.

And researchers claim that the saint was born in Tiruvalluvanayanar of Tirunayanarkurichi near Muttom.

Some of the other evidences that attest to the claim are inscriptions of the ‘Valluvan country’ in Tirunanthikarai cave temple, and the recent finding of Valluvar worship in Valluvan portrai, All these three evidences are traced to Kalkulam taluk in Kanyakumari district.

Says Dr.Padmanabhan, ‘‘Historical and sociological evidences suggest that the Kalkulam part of Kanyakumari district was ‘Valluvanadu’ and the king who ruled over it was Valluvar’’ [/tscii:caedcace13]

joe
18th August 2007, 12:05 PM
Naanjil Nadu was a part of Thiruvangore Samasthaanam .when language wise states formed after independence ,Nanjil nadu was given to Kerala ..Then people from Nanjil nadu protested by foming a movement ..Marshal Nesamoni was the main leader .Finally Nanjil naadu was given to Tamil Nadu in 1952.

padmanabha
18th August 2007, 06:25 PM
s pavalamani, i have heard these three stories.
As the bus approaches the cape u can see tricolor in the ocean. one more thing-
during my childhood, i have gathered a kind of sharp three inches long bits from the shore. that was used for writing on slates and we named them "kadal kuchchi." later only i realized that it was the spikes that is found on the surface of sea urchins!! When we went for specimen collection(my main subject was zoology) i came across such pieces on the sea shore-which reminded me of my childhood days.

pavalamani pragasam
18th August 2007, 06:34 PM
Oh, yes. kadal kuchi, sponges, kadal nurai & shells were our crazy collections whenever we visited seashores.

MazhaiKuruvi
19th August 2007, 01:35 AM
Joe,
I was thinking about Nanjil Nadu's ancient history not last century's news :)

MazhaiKuruvi
19th August 2007, 02:12 AM
From the Internet..

Veera Kerala Varma (1150A.D.) called himself Nanjil Kuravan.

Vattakottai, a granite fort six kilometres north-east of Kanyakumari cape, forms the terminal of a line of ramparts known as the South Tranvancore lines built by Marthanda Varma to serve as defence for Nanjil Nadu

joe
20th August 2007, 08:32 AM
Joe,
I was thinking about Nanjil Nadu's ancient history not last century's news :)

Kanyakumari district District consists of those parts known as locally Nanjil Nadu and Idai Nadu. The names of the villages of the district such as Azhagiapaandipuram, Bhoothapandy, Cholapuram and Kulasekaram reveal that these places were governed by several rulers at difficult periods of time.It is learnt that Nanjilnadu was under the rule of Pandiyas till the early 10th century and then under Cheras.

The Idai nadu including Kalkulam and Vilavancode taluks were under the rule of cheras. When the power of Chola declined due to the rise of Hoysalas and western Chalukyas, the venad (Travancore) Chief tains (the decondants of central Chera's family) took advantage of the situation and gradually established their hold on considerable areas in Nanjilnadu. Veera Kerala varma one such cheif tain and style himself as "Nanjil Kuravan". The annexation commenced by Veera Kerala Varma was to a large extent continued by his successors and completed by 1115 A.D.

For about four centuries, the Venad was ruled by powerful kings who were consistently making incursions into the pandian territories. As a result Vijayanagar kings are proceeded against venad. In 1609 Kanyakumari fell in to the mighty hands of Viswanatha Nayak of Madurai. Consequent on this, there was no series threat to Nanjilnadu, till 1634. During the regime of Ravi varma and Marthanda varma, Venad was disturbed due to the internal strife.

Sanda sahib of Arcot took advantage of this situation and attacked Nanjilnadu. Although Marthanda varma could succeed tje famous battle at Colachel defeating the Dutch armouries who helped the local faudatories, he could ot cope with the threat from Sanda sahib and made him to with draw the battle field. After Marthanda varma, Venad had very weak rulers. Therefore there was frequent interference by the British whose control was completely established over Venad and continued till 1947. From 1947 to 1956, it was under the personal rule of Maharaja of Travancore. During the period between 1956 - 1961, the administrative system has fallen in line with that of other districts in Tamil nadu.

http://www.nanjilonline.com/cityinfo/history.asp