PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tired of Fanatism ?

Shakthiprabha.
28th January 2007, 05:48 PM
Last time a similar thread had posts which defended fanatism in a very beautifully interesting way. They even intelligently cornered the others by citing WHY NOT IDOLISE their idols AS DIVINE incarnation, when ppl are free to chose/ go as per their beliefs.

After all INDEPENDANT COUNTRY where anybody can worship anyone.

In 2007, whilst INDIA (lets not argue about literacy level of kerela or other state as compared to any other state) literacy is convincingly increasing, this NEVER EVER CEASE TO EXIST!

So, fanatism HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LITERACY OR RACE OR CASTE OR CREED OR BREED OR COUNTRY.

Its just INBUILT in some of us, RUNS IN THE VEINS of some of us, whilst others FAIL TO UNDERSTAND OR NOTICE, 'how can some idol MAKE SUCH DIFFERENCE IN normal day to day life of NORMAL MAN?'

I still feel there are some of us, who would SACRIFICE THEIR OWN FAMILIES for the sake of his or her IDOL's career of life.

Talking about extreme fanatism, some non-fanatics find it AMUSING or WEIRD that some others identify a single individual BASED ON HIS IDOL.

Who are u? Are u so and so's fan? Then u would have such and such taste, such and such character and such and such behaviour

So much we IMMERSE OURSELVES in identifying the other person's individuality to his idol, THAT WE FORGET TO NOTICE OR EVALUATE OR WEIGH HIM as a person with his own credits and discredits or stamp.

LONG LIVE OUR PATIOTISM .

yup thats it

we have country, caste, creed, religion, and now PATRIOTISM for IDOLS!

Anyone who is as clueless or as amazed as me, can post their views here.

WE are nobody to comment on anyone else's nature or patriotism.
This is not a thread to comment, BUT TO DISCUSS,

that , at any point of time, is there any chance, of we ever getting tired of fanatism?

crazy
28th January 2007, 05:58 PM
I don't have much to say...........I agree with sp akka!

thimuru
28th January 2007, 06:05 PM
EXTREME FANATISM MUST BE CONTROLLED BY THE HERO!

OR THE HERO MUST ENTER POLITICS IF HE WISH "PODHU SEVAI"

IF THAT GUY DINT DO BOTH....HE MAY BE SELFISH

Designer
28th January 2007, 06:11 PM
PL : I agree with what you have said. Patriotic fervour one can have for one's motherland, but being a Fanatic is not good. Likewise each person can have his or her favorite actors/icons/thalaivars, but must not impose their own idolism on others, like a fanatic. Hubbers / fans can have heated debates, but it must not go to the extent of vulgarity (as was witnessed very recently @ Hub). After all, such viewpoints are purely subjective, based on each individual's tastes, upbringing, likes & dislikes, so many factors.

But what is the panacea to resolve such kinda misplaced Fanaticism ? Especially in online forums like Hub, Orkut etc ? Can anyone suggest some solutions?

kb
28th January 2007, 06:12 PM
i would say.. it just something or a reason for people to mingle or discuss..

just think.. if ur not an fan of mgr,sivaji,rajini,kamal etc etc..
or not a fan of vairamuthu,balakumaran etc etc..
or fan of chettinadu samaiyal, or etc etc
or fan of siththi,selvi arasu
or fan of etc etc.

what would u talk.. sontha kathai and soga kathai only.. no way people can discuss personal happenings with one another so easily..

something in common.. its nice people do something with an interest.. when this interest crosses a limit.. naasama pochi.. everything has a limit pros and cons.. love hate also has a limit.. when u hate or love a person beyond limit its a hindrance for u..

if fans dont exist.. interest and discussions wont happen.. why would some one discuss on someone or something without any interest on it.. :roll:

villan007
28th January 2007, 06:15 PM
if fans dont exist.. interest and discussions wont happen.. why would some one discuss on someone or something without any interest on it.. :roll:

8-)

Designer
28th January 2007, 06:17 PM

or fan of etc etc.

what would u talk.. sontha kathai and soga kathai only.. no way people can discuss personal happenings with one another so easily..

something in common.. its nice people do something with an interest.. when this interest crosses a limit.. naasama pochi.. everything has a limit pros and cons.. love hate also has a limit.. when u hate or love a person beyond limit its a hindrance for u..

kb : i dont mean hubbers should not discuss about their fav actors, music directors etc. i dont mean that at all. Healthy debates increases one's acumen, knowledge - or atleast the satisfaction of expressing one's viewpoints and preferences for a particular actor, etc. infact, i hadnt noticed such vulgarity &viciousness until recently at Hub. which is not a good sign.

but that it should not go to the extent of vulgarity.

kb
28th January 2007, 06:20 PM
that is because of an individuals mentality..

not even because of bashing his fav actor .. entha vishayathilam he may act like that.. he may be a kid. ..has to mature..

its not because he is a fan of a actor.. he is learning bad words and shouting at others. he already knew it..

thimuru
28th January 2007, 06:22 PM
IF ONE SAY "POKIRI" IS A HIT....

he mustnt be mocked as vijay fan apdithan solluva!..thats important

NOV
28th January 2007, 08:21 PM
one of the main contributors towards fanaticism is low self esteem.

but with age, this may mellow.

Saamy
28th January 2007, 10:43 PM

or fan of etc etc.

if fans dont exist.. interest and discussions wont happen.. why would some one discuss on someone or something without any interest on it.. :roll: :clap: :thumbsup:

Kollywoodfan
28th January 2007, 10:45 PM
IF ONE SAY "POKIRI" IS A HIT....

he mustnt be mocked as vijay fan apdithan solluva!..thats important

:goodidea:

kidils
29th January 2007, 12:45 AM

:clap: :thumbsup:

Kumar
29th January 2007, 03:31 AM
Some people think they need this sort of fanatism to give themselves some sort of meaning in life; that's how they define themselves.

ajithfederer
29th January 2007, 03:41 AM
Eppidi man kb ippdi :?: :lol:

or fan of etc etc.

mareen
29th January 2007, 04:27 AM
kb nalla sonne ... but i think the thread starter is right too :D

villan007
29th January 2007, 08:43 AM
kb nalla sonne ... but i think the thread starter is right too :D

enna theerpu sollalam :huh:

groucho070
29th January 2007, 10:15 AM

I concur.

The fanaticism we are talking about here is more of hero-worshipping. Usuall, fanatics need guidance. A leader. They don't get it at home. They get it in fantasy element. I notice that if a young star makes his debut in a mass entertainer story, something about a young man going against establishment, he gets tremendous following. We saw that in other younger stars. People like to be assured that everything will be alright. This was what MGR brought, and he himself would have astonished at the level of fanaticism.

We can name many elements that contribute to this state of affair, but this will not bode well with many hubbers here who fall into 'fanatic' category. They would deny that they have certain characteristics in them that made them to be big fanatics.

But fanaticism here is different from the west. What we get there are stuff like fans of Star Wars, or Trekkies. I, myself, am a big fan of James Bond. I have all the books, movies, books about Bond, and posters and stuff. I have information in my fingertips. I was branded as a fanatic by my friends.

In Hollywood, you don't have fans rivalry, or fans, like in case of MGR, who immolate themselves for the sake of their hero. You attribute that to the difference of culture, education (not literacy rate, but the content), socioeconomic structure, etc.

But it will be nice to see the Tamil film styled fanaticism to lower down a bit in scale. Because, extreme attachment allows the actors to be the king and do what they (both him and his fans) want. It's not healthy for the industry overall. He will not be doing quality products and that will tarnish the image of the industry overall. Plus, the hero himself will forget that he has real talents...this will be the case of Rajini. He is a damned good actor, but no thanks to his fanatic fans, he resorted to make mass entertainers.

There are plus and minuses to this. Mostly, I think, negative. It curbs the freedom of the actor for one. Freedom to chose the project that will highlight more of his talent and contribute to the output of quality products in the industry.

selvakumar
29th January 2007, 11:20 AM

This thread and this post has made my day :rotfl: :rotfl2:
So, Fanatics are people with low self esteem. I think it is exactly the opposite

NOV
29th January 2007, 11:47 AM
So, Fanatics are people with low self esteem. I think it is exactly the oppositeeppadi?
ppl with low self esteem are fanatics? :huh:

MADDY
29th January 2007, 11:50 AM
Fanatism is not a must but not an evil too :D .....i'm a ARR fanatic, but no way low in self esteem or something like that......its just that he is one of the hold in my life.....if i'm down at some point and i see ARR succeeding, then it lifts me a bit.....it shuld be left at that, not more than that........to some extent ur idol's ideologies - like ARR inspired me into doing prayers...... 8-) .......just that and no more......

the problem i see is that when ur idol is being insulted by someone, then ur fanatism shots up........trust me, after coming to hub only, my fanatism for ARR,Mani has shot up by 200%.......and i have become a Ajith admirer after coming here only......so, if ppl. can be kind enuf to stop throwing unneccessary tantrums on other's idols, then fanatism will be under a great deal of control........if u have a genuine thing to say abt someone else's idol, then u can......if u wanna just make trouble with them, then obviously things will go out of control..... :D

NOV
29th January 2007, 11:54 AM
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

:yessir:

MADDY
29th January 2007, 12:03 PM
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

but times have changed NOV.... :lol: ....it was probably written a century ago...... :wink: .....

people are smart nowadays........but yes, education and employment will curb fanatism one day in India......but in HUB, with all ppl. coming from top brass, wonder what would be the solution?? :roll:

selvakumar
29th January 2007, 12:54 PM
people are smart nowadays........but yes, education and employment will curb fanatism one day in India......but in HUB, with all ppl. coming from top brass, wonder what would be the solution?? :roll:

:clap: For the above post. I agree with you completely. When I entered the HUB, I was an ajithfan equally appreciating everyone though I had my own priorities. But HUB changed me. when so many make fun of your favorite, what else one should do :?: That is the reason why I am not cursing anyone unnecessarily nowadays. HUb transforms you !

btw, Do u think people like me will change :?: I hope you won't call me as an "uneducated guy" :mrgreen: just kidding. There is no solution for this problem. IMHO. It will last forever :wink: :P

leosimha
29th January 2007, 01:56 PM
the hub has changed a lot of people.....:roll:

NOV
29th January 2007, 02:02 PM
the hub has changed a lot of people.....:roll:In life, there will be lots of "hubs".
be like the fish, which lives in salt water all its life, but doesnt absorb a single bit of it into its body.
advise given by a guru early in my life. 8-)

selvakumar
29th January 2007, 02:05 PM
Leo,
I want to add few more as the popular "Oracle" of the HUB says "LIFE MOVES ON.." buddy :mrgreen: :wink: :P

leosimha
29th January 2007, 02:11 PM
Leo,
I want to add few more as the popular "Oracle" of the HUB says "LIFE MOVES ON.." buddy :mrgreen: :wink: :P

:lol:...hmm...nice advises for me today.....wow...the tamil calendar with star prediction is working....

leosimha
29th January 2007, 02:12 PM
the hub has changed a lot of people.....:roll:In life, there will be lots of "hubs".
be like the fish, which lives in salt water all its life, but doesnt absorb a single bit of it into its body.
advise given by a guru early in my life. 8-)

oh..NOV....konnuteenga..baa.....

:lol:...hmm...nice advises for me today.....wow...the tamil calendar with star prediction is working....

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2007, 02:23 PM

Some people think they need this sort of fanatism to give themselves some sort of meaning in life; that's how they define themselves.

I concur.

The fanaticism we are talking about here is more of hero-worshipping. Usuall, fanatics need guidance. A leader. They don't get it at home. They get it in fantasy element. I notice that if a young star makes his debut in a mass entertainer story, something about a young man going against establishment, he gets tremendous following. We saw that in other younger stars. People like to be assured that everything will be alright. This was what MGR brought, and he himself would have astonished at the level of fanaticism.

In Hollywood, you don't have fans rivalry, or fans,

Plus, the hero himself will forget that he has real talents...this will be the case of Rajini. He is a damned good actor, but no thanks to his fanatic fans, he resorted to make mass entertainers.

Excellent post by nov, groucho and Kumar.

I agree with all of u.

We need to differentiate FANATISM (actually normally to be understood as FAN) from LIKING a person.

kb pointed out, Fanatism, IS MERE DISCUSSING about ppl we like... SORRY fanatism IS MUCH MORE THAN THAT.

I can talk bout shivaji or any other idol with such awe and liking... thats not fanatism. I CAN CRITIZE, Using polite words, regarding, say MGR for his lack of acting too THATS NOT FANATISM.

When I go a step further to TALK DISCREDITS or talk ILL of SAY a rival idol OR HIS FANS, THEN, I become fanatic.

When I DUMP DISCREDITS to a normal person's judgement, ability or nature, character, etc, BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A SUCH A PERSON's fan , THEN I BECOME A FANATIC.

__

Defintely NOV makes sense when he says

FANATISM is because of LOW SELF ESTEEM.

* What u cant be, What u were denied, what could have been u but not u, WHEN SOMEONE ELSE DEPICT that character, U BECOME HIS or her FANATIC.

Typical example is WWF.

We have so much pent up feelings anger in us, SO MOST OF US BECOME A FAN OF SOME WWF guy, who pulls the other person's lungs out.

I cant do!

I cant hit 5 guys with a single punch on their nose and prove my prowess!

wow someone else is doing! HE IS MY HERO! He is my inner self, my nature, my personality!

I cant woo girls! Wow look at my hero there, how casually he draws every woman's attention!

I cant dress as fashionable as thta lady on screen,It wont suit my personality or my orthodox surroundings, BUT THATS MY TASTE, and look at my heroine wow!

These are SOME REASONS why we idolise ppl.

He RESEMBLES ME, so anyone who touches my inner self, my replica, my personality, HURTS ME (MORE THAN MY IDOL)

He insults, MY TASTE, MY PREFERENCE, MY PERSONALITY

Here lies the problem :)

Fanatizm is MORE PREVELENT amongst men than women :?

Am I right?

groucho070
29th January 2007, 03:00 PM
Great analysis SP. I'll come to the last question later.

Always go back to the definition.

One dictionary says, fanaticism means"

"excessive intolerance of opposing views".

Here, I think we can see that element of fanaticism in a person means that basically he has ego the size of Airbus A380. He or she thinks that they are right. In our context, that their hero is infallible. That he is the best. You lead; I follow, I don't care what other's say about you, Oh leader/talaivar/guru/etc.

So, education has nothing to do with fanaticism. Many religious fanatics are highly educated people. In fact, education itself kind of led to the belief that he/she is right. "I have masters in film studies, therefore when I say Vijaykanth is the greatest since Laurence Olivier, you better believe me." (Just an example. Don't you captain fanatics come after me).

So, those with education has ego aiding them. Those without education basically needs fanaticism for hope. For relief. For escape, like how you put it so nicely, SP.

Why men; more than women?

Can I say, ego? In our part of the world, women were usually 'put' in their place for a loooooooooong time. Their opinions were not valued. But my argument here is weak.

Another important element that needs further study is impact of culture. In oru culture, 'loyalty' is freakin' important. You be loyal or you die. Change of loyalty may be sign of weakness. Let's say I switch from Viyakanth camp to T Rajender camp. VK campers will think that I am weak, cannot make up my mind. I'd be humiliated (not that being in TR's camp is a great honour).

But let's not get deep into analysis coz I'm just a humble journalist, not psychiatrist.

leosimha
29th January 2007, 03:31 PM
Madam Shaktiprabha..... :clap: wonderful post...reply....are you a psychiatrist by any chance? You have done a wonderful analysis of the fanatism/fanatics.....

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks leosimha. I aint a psychiatrist as of now.

If need be, I shall become one and assist ppl, whoever needs my help :thumbsup:

leosimha
29th January 2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks leosimha. I aint a psychiatrist as of now.

If need be, I shall become one and assist ppl, whoever needs my help :thumbsup:

wow....anyways do post if you become a psychiatrist....:D..my wishes to you if you would like to pursue a creer in the same...

selvakumar
29th January 2007, 03:37 PM
Madam Shaktiprabha..... :clap: wonderful post...reply....are you a psychiatrist by any chance? ....

:lol:

Fanatizm is MORE PREVELENT amongst men than women

BTW, SP - I hope this statement of yours doesn't make this thread a usual "women against men" thread ! FYKI, I have seen many teenage lollypops being more fanatic than boys ! :wink:

leosimha
29th January 2007, 03:41 PM
Madam Shaktiprabha..... :clap: wonderful post...reply....are you a psychiatrist by any chance? ....

:lol:

Fanatizm is MORE PREVELENT amongst men than women

BTW, SP - I hope this statement of yours doesn't make this thread a usual "women against men" thread ! FYKI, I have seen many teenage lollypops being more fanatic than boys ! :wink:

selva....:lol:...

yeah even me too seen that regarding the teenage lollypops being wild fanatics.....:shaking:..hope this doesn't end as women vs men....

thamizhvaanan
29th January 2007, 03:47 PM

but with age, this may mellow. Groupism is another reason for fanaticism.

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2007, 03:53 PM
dign

Leosimha,

:D.

Oh your wishes count a lot. I am honoured. If I become one, I shant be posting here but busy in my own clinic.

If u are gonna miss my posts, come to my clinic, I can lecture :D

SElva,

:D. I am sure it wont. There are not many women here. Anyway therez nothing to feel proud or not proud. I Just wondered bout it.

Groucho,

you are right. When I meant fanatism, I ment fanatism of EVERY KIND. Surprisingly educated ppl are fanatics of religious idols too.

Its just IN US.

We search for identity, when we find our identity in someone else, we dont let that person go.

Regarding women being not able to voice opinion, I THINK THEY do voice their opinion. They dont become arrogant or abusive at times, like men, BUT THEY DO EXHIBIT their own preferences and subtle ways of showing preferences.

It may not be EXPLICIT but quieter, subtler, softer, YET WITH EQUAL EGO.

Voicing can be more audible with men, HENCE impact is seen outwardly.

__

Education alone wont suffice.

We need AWARENESS to accept ourselves as unique, feel proud of our personality then, we may not identify ourselves as anyone else's shadow.

Then fanatism may end some day.

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2007, 03:53 PM

but with age, this may mellow. Groupism is another reason for fanaticism.

:banghead:

The seriousness of this thread is lost :( :D

leosimha
29th January 2007, 03:55 PM
Madam Shaktiprabha....cool down......

:lol: at thamizhvaanan....

thamizhvaanan
29th January 2007, 03:56 PM

Designer
29th January 2007, 03:59 PM
IMO -

what is life without spice ? :)
what is Hub without fights ? :exactly:
but,
too mucha hot chillies cause Ulcer in a trice, :shock:
and too many heated words bring blights ! :evil:

selvakumar
29th January 2007, 04:33 PM
We need AWARENESS to accept ourselves as unique, feel proud of our personality then, we may not identify ourselves as anyone else's shadow.

:shock: This is a bit rude IMHO, Take me - I am an ajith fan(atic). That doesn't mean I just hide behind his shadow. We (human beings) tend to love someone more than others. Whenever we see someone insulting our beloved, certainly we will retaliate. Fanaticism belongs to the same category. The actor performs on the screen and we take some of the things that we like the most. We eventually develop that when the actor delivers the movies continously. One point of time, we reach the stage where we LOVE THEM more than ANYONE ELSE.

People with this kind of perception should remove their SUN GLASSES and should analyse what goes inside the minds of FANATICS. No FANATIC in the world will FEEL PROUD simply coz of the FACT that his FAVORITE HAS SOME ATTRIBUTES WHICH OTHERS DON'T HAVE 8-)
Plus - IF that is the case, every one with a GOOD COMPLEXION must have become MGR FANS. 8-)

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2007, 05:13 PM

:shock: This is a bit rude IMHO,

I am extremely sorry :( . That was in noway intended to be rude.
It was just an observation on overall attitude of mass in general.
Someone else's shadow is I hope understood as our OWN DESIRES, enlivened by someone else.

Lemme put it this way. EVERY SINGLE PERSON in this world HAS A PERSON whom he admires or identifies as his idol.

Some play it FIECEFULLY WITH MORE FORCE, hence they fall under fanatics.

Take me - I am an ajith fan(atic). That doesn't mean I just hide behind his shadow. We (human beings) tend to love someone more than others.

Yes. We all love somebody more than some others.
Such ppl are part and parcel of our REAL DAY TO DAY LIFE.
They give and take, cry and laugh, fight and cajole with us.
Thats LOVE.

When that someone we love, IS IN NOWAY involved with us in person, in our daily day to day life, thro thick and thin in our well being, then it does not in my view come under love category.

The actor performs on the screen and we take some of the things that we like the most

Plus - IF that is the case, every one with a GOOD COMPLEXION must have become MGR FANS.

Read the above 2 quotes consecutively. A fan takes SOMETHINGS which he feels identifies or admires, NOT ALL THINGS.

We do see so many in our real life who matches with our own desires or ambitions or goals. ex: Naranaya moorthy, Bill Gates, Kiran bedi, PT Usha any other achievers.

WE IDOLISE THEM. (From the beginning i dont mean movie idols alone, hope I am clearer here).

We DO NOT PLAY IT harsh TO Show our idolism on achievers.

Even fans of sports stars play it low compared to...

fans of fantasy world stars or religious leaders or POLITICIANS.

Because in all above cadre, HEROISM OR HEROINISM is shown.

EVERY PERSON HAS HIS OR HER OWN FANTASY.
He cant live it. When someone else lives his fantazy, he identifies himself or herself with that person and admires THE HEROISM or heroinism, which he himself could not establish outwardly.

:)

None of the above sentence intends to hurt or point out any single gorup. Just a GENERAL discussion.

thinkfloyd
29th January 2007, 05:23 PM
Ellam OK but Bill Clinton achiever-a???? :shock: :confused2: :shaking: :lol: :rotfl: :twisted: :evil:

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2007, 06:04 PM
I DUNNO if he is an achiever. Looks like HILARY may do him otherwise :|

I was too carried away with posts about achievers vs politicians vs fantasy world vs religious leaders that I actually made a typo

First name should read GATES :ashamed: :oops: :extremely_embarassed:

thinkfloyd
29th January 2007, 06:22 PM
Shakthi,
Was just kidding.. Didn't intend it so that you would take it seriously... sorry for nitpicking :)

NOV
29th January 2007, 07:01 PM
Selva, you are a typical angry young man. :P

sometimes it is good to listen. we learn more when we listen than when we talk.

leosimha
29th January 2007, 07:20 PM

:shock: This is a bit rude IMHO, Take me - I am an ajith fan(atic). That doesn't mean I just hide behind his shadow. We (human beings) tend to love someone more than others. Whenever we see someone insulting our beloved, certainly we will retaliate. Fanaticism belongs to the same category. The actor performs on the screen and we take some of the things that we like the most. We eventually develop that when the actor delivers the movies continously. One point of time, we reach the stage where we LOVE THEM more than ANYONE ELSE.

People with this kind of perception should remove their SUN GLASSES and should analyse what goes inside the minds of FANATICS. No FANATIC in the world will FEEL PROUD simply coz of the FACT that his FAVORITE HAS SOME ATTRIBUTES WHICH OTHERS DON'T HAVE 8-)
Plus - IF that is the case, every one with a GOOD COMPLEXION must have become MGR FANS. 8-)

oh..how come I missed this post of madam shaktiprabha....

Madam Shaktiprabha..do you mean to say that we should have a bit of narcissism....in us....oh no....I wanna be a fanatic of Ajith rather than being narcissist....

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2007, 08:56 PM

Madam Shaktiprabha..do you mean to say that we should have a bit of narcissism....in us....oh no....I wanna be a fanatic of Ajith rather than being narcissist....

Sir leosimha,

Narcissism is to be differentiated from just accepting ourselves for what we are.

you would have read my susbsequent post talkin bout ADMIRATION and LIKING in all of us. We all have it.

When it becomes a step further it is IDOLATRY or FANATISM

AND

that happens only when WE SENSE OUR BELONGING with our idols, so much so that OUR OWN EGO gets hurt, when our IDOL'S ego get hurt.

Anyway,

whether or not a person wanna be a fanatic is DEFINITELY NOT IN ANYBODY'S HAND.
I am not a person here to say DONT BE A FANATIC.
Its free world.

Its just MY VIEW on why ADMIRATION turns into IDOLATRY or FANATISM.
I aint for a debate here.

Anybody is free to disagree with my views and

I POLITELY agree to DISAGREE with their views too. :) :thumbsup:

groucho070
30th January 2007, 09:38 AM
Selva, I don't think you can be categorised as a fanatic. I don't think so. You are just a strong fan. In my limited vocabulary, a hardcore fan, just as I am when it comes to Sivaji Ganesan.

A fanatic is sometimes very near to stalker, when it concerns stars/celebrities. There is a thin line. He/she can be obssessed to the point of being violent, a danger to the others. This usually only applies to religious fanaticism..

I found out that this particular obsession is called Consumer Fanaticism. Here's a good write up:
http://blog.bitepr.com/2006/05/consumer_fanati.html

Selva, you are just passionate about your beloved subject; and do what you can to defend him in case there is an attack. That is pretty normal reaction. I'd do and done the same for NT, but at times I did accept certain criticism. You have too. So, you don't actually qualify as a fanatic.

joe
30th January 2007, 09:42 AM
I am actor Sivaj Ganesan fanatic :D

Rajkumar_mj
30th January 2007, 09:56 AM
I am actor Sivaj Ganesan fanatic :D

Thanks for your Information Joe. :clap: :clap: :clap:

joe
30th January 2007, 10:08 AM
Groucho,
I am a fan of many in many fields .In politics, Ilakkiyam , Music, dance etc I am a fan of many.

But I am a fanatic of only one ,Actor Sivaji Ganesan (not as a person or politician) .Even sometimes I know -ves of him in acting ,I will not accept somebody says somebody can overtake Sivaji ganesan ..It is more from heart than brain .

I am a hardcore kamal fan ..But Sivaji fanatic ! I have no regrets to accept this :)

selvakumar
30th January 2007, 11:21 AM
Groucho, :)
Agree with your post on me completely. But there were few instances in which I crossed the "thin Line of separation" and few hubbers know that as well. I have no problem in accepting that ! I was indeed a FANATIC sometime back. Some of my posts were indeed violating the HUB Policies. Nowadays, I have just learnt how to control the same IN THE HUB atleast !

Apart from that, IMHO, A Fanatic should not be taken as a person who does everything for his star and becomes a real menace for others. There are innumerable number of people who doesn't do that but yet remain as people with strong dedication to their favorites without accepting even constructive criticism. ( I won't lie that I accepted constructive criticism on my favorite :P )

When we are passionate about onething, it just grows within us day by day and reaches a point in which we remain HELL BENT on certain things. I think "Fanaticism" can be related to this as well.

Anyway, I must say "You must have been a NT Fanatic sometime back" Just my guess :wink:

thimuru
30th January 2007, 11:25 AM
ennoda sondha polappa vittutu thalaivar thalaivarnu kathuna fanatism

vettiya irukum bodhu thalaivar pugazh paadinaaL fan

avlothampa vithiyasam.....

selva

what a dialogue that is :clap: in ur sign!

and remember the scene when kalaingar says "thamizh muthanmaya irukanum etc"....lal replies with "yelllaarum nalla irukanum.....saapidillama yaarum kashtapadakoodadhu"

:clap:

selvakumar
30th January 2007, 11:38 AM
Replied Here Vikki

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=908250#908250

groucho070
30th January 2007, 12:43 PM
Anyway, I must say "You must have been a NT Fanatic sometime back" Just my guess :wink:

Well, I am very close to that. I started to love NT later part of my life. It was in my mid twenties when I started to discover his greatness. But by that time, I wanted to become a movie critic. And film critics, while some are partial, must view things fair and square. Must write good and bad. So, while admiring the greatness, I have also seen his weakness, and I'd usually be the first to admit the fault. Even during his peak in seventies, he made some really bad movies and rather than performing, he sleepwalked through them. If I was an adult in the 70s, I'd go to India and stop the production of films like Chitra Pournami.

I was a fanatic fan of MGR actually, back in my teens. But that was hereditary, passed on by my dad and my aunty.

I'm a big fan of Kamal and Rajini, then, a moderate fan of Sathyaraj, Prabhu and now Madhavan. I'm a student of MGR's life. And I am ultimately a hardcore fan of NT.

Don't think I am a fanatic. The only thing I am dedicated to on daily basis is Cartoon Network. Maybe I'm a cartoon network fanatic.

And Joe, the fact that you are an NT fanatic is not exactly a revelation. I'd say that he is the greatest as of now. But, maybe one day, there will be someone greater. We will never know. I might even be dead at that time. But NT was first of the greatests. That is why I am not a fanatic.

Sarna
17th June 2010, 05:58 PM
nice thread :P

VinodKumar's
17th June 2010, 08:35 PM

Neraya contribute pannanumnu thonumae :P :wink:

HonestRaj
17th June 2010, 08:39 PM

Neraya contribute pannanumnu thonumae :P :wink:

sarna_blr id'laye neraya contribute pannittaru... pala threadukku :wink: