PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration or Copy?

thimuru
19th January 2007, 12:02 PM
examla than copy adicha punishment...anna cinemala..

utter copy adichutu hitunu soldranuga

kb
19th January 2007, 12:04 PM
aama.. english paper paathu tamil paperla copy adicha fail

aana english padatha paathu tamil padathula copy adicha oscar-ku pogavendiya padam (ada angirunthu thaana vanthuchi :roll:)

thimuru
19th January 2007, 12:19 PM

aana english padatha paathu tamil padathula copy adicha oscar-ku pogavendiya padam (ada angirunthu thaana vanthuchi :roll:)

annaathaa..andha engileesh karanoda pOti potu avane 100 padathula onnaa select pandran...inspiration nu othukuran!

nerdy
19th January 2007, 02:19 PM

:lol: :rotfl:

Ivanga Panna Inspiration. Naanga Panna copy. Nangalavadhu remkate rights vangittu than panroam. 8-)

thimuru
19th January 2007, 03:31 PM

:lol: :rotfl:

Ivanga Panna Inspiration. Naanga Panna copy. Nangalavadhu remkate rights vangittu than panroam. 8-)

adhuku naan adicha replyku badhil pannu kannaa...instead of jalra :lol:

groucho070
19th January 2007, 03:36 PM
Ellarume thirudanggattan. There is a thin blur line between getting inspired and copying.

thimuru
19th January 2007, 03:40 PM
Ellarume thirudanggattan. There is a thin blur line between getting inspired and copying.

like "pudhiya paravai" uruvified from "following the crooked shadow"?

if uruvified why does times magazine recognise nayagan?...

if u say inspiration and copying has thin line..."pather panchali" is inspired from a western drama....is sathyajitray a thirudan :rotfl:

groucho070
19th January 2007, 03:53 PM

if u say inspiration and copying has thin line..."pather panchali" is inspired from a western drama....is sathyajitray a thirudan :rotfl:

Maybe I was wrong. But as long as you credit the original, then it's okay. That is the point of remakes, you credit the original guy and your do your version.

The digression I have with Nayagan is that he took scenes from other movie. Athan en manasu thaanggala. And not credited. I like mani, and I am crazy about Kamal, but both have taken and not credited the original source. That is copying.

Now, inspiration would something that is taken and is further improvised. Remember, the climax of MMKR? It was taken from one Chaplin movie. Same house, same edge of the hill, but Kamal added a whole bunch of crowd, himself in four roles and had hell of a time. that is inspiration.

But you are right, I won't call it thin blur line. But the line is quite thin.

thimuru
19th January 2007, 03:56 PM

Maybe I was wrong. But as long as you credit the original, then it's okay. That is the point of remakes, you credit the original guy and your do your version.

The digression I have with Nayagan is that he took scenes from other movie. Athan en manasu thaanggala. And not credited. I like mani, and I am crazy about Kamal, but both have taken and not credited the original source. That is copying.

Now, inspiration would something that is taken and is further improvised. Remember, the climax of MMKR? It was taken from one Chaplin movie. Same house, same edge of the hill, but Kamal added a whole bunch of crowd, himself in four roles and had hell of a time. that is inspiration.

But you are right, I won't call it thin blur line. But the line is quite thin.

which scene in nayagan??? :lol: id like to know!because i have seen both movies and i know u point to some silly scenes like killing in the car etc

will u elabarate in kamals favourite scene thread :D plz sir

selvakumar
19th January 2007, 03:57 PM

sorry to say this Vikki. But I think u mistunderstood what "groucho" said. He said there is only minimal difference between getting inspired and copying.

He didn't refer to anyone in particular. He referred to the word "Inspiration " being used by many to hide their copying, I think.

btw, Only Nayagan got recognition in the magazine. Right ? I have nothing against this as long as it enriches tamil cinema.

But anyway mistake is a mistake. Be it inspiration or copying.

thimuru
19th January 2007, 04:00 PM

sorry to say this Vikki. But I think u mistunderstood what "groucho" said. He said there is only minimal difference between getting inspired and copying.

He didn't refer to anyone in particular. He referred to the word "Inspiration " being used by many to hide their copying, I think.

btw, Only Nayagan got recognition in the magazine. Right ? I have nothing against this as long as it enriches tamil cinema.

But anyway mistake is a mistake. Be it inspiration or copying.

no selva...there is huge difference between copying and inspiration!

thats why i mentioned that satyajitray example!

see..in cinema everything is inspiration...from real life or from the movies they watch in younger days!

but the way they take is what matters...devar mahan is inspired from godfather....this would explain that there is a huge line between copying and inspiration

kb
19th January 2007, 04:07 PM
nee adicha piece naa adicha maassu

antha maathiri.. ivinga solluvaanga

nee adicha copy naa adicha inspiration :?

thimuru
19th January 2007, 04:10 PM
THREAD STARTED BY NOV!

OK..lets start with SHIVAJI era!

its been said lots of shivajis movies are inspired from english movies!

would love to know details abt them!

forgot the moviename from which "uyarndha manidhan " is inspired..

avven
19th January 2007, 04:11 PM
nee adicha piece naa adicha maassu

antha maathiri.. ivinga solluvaanga

nee adicha copy naa adicha inspiration :?

Kb kalakriaga... :lol: :lol:

thimuru
19th January 2007, 04:12 PM
thambingala kb and avven....dont digress !

idhenna pokiri punchlam inga vitutu

avven
19th January 2007, 04:14 PM

seriaga naaaaa :D

thimuru
19th January 2007, 04:15 PM
OK..

ANDHA NAAL

which is directly inspired from ROSHOMON!

A murder mystery investigated with different point of views!

anybody compare them?

joe
19th January 2007, 04:27 PM
Some of NT movies might be inspired or copied from some movies ..But NT never copied anybody in his acting and there are many many people who copy him in acting. :)

thimuru
19th January 2007, 04:30 PM
Some of NT movies might be inspired or copied from some movies ..But NT never copied anybody in his acting and there are many many people who copy him in acting. :)

no...Ive heard that NT used to act like marlon brando in some of his roles...

for which brando remarked as NT can act like him...but he cant...i believe.

joe
19th January 2007, 04:34 PM
no...Ive heard that NT used to act like marlon brando in some of his roles...

for which brando remarked as NT can act like him...but he cant...i believe.

What is the connection between brando's statement and your claim that NT copied Brando? I don't understand.

Brando's statement is general one ,not for something he found NT copied him.

can you enlight us ,in which movie NT copied brando?

thimuru
19th January 2007, 04:39 PM
read my first line properly joe! :D

joe
19th January 2007, 04:53 PM

Leave it! I am not good enough in english to understand your first line :)

thimuru
19th January 2007, 05:03 PM

Leave it! I am not good enough in english to understand your first line :)

:D

Ive wrote that line due to result of reading an article which said that NT who had to play a stage drama in a movie did the role exactly like brando without effort!

so i connected that with brandos lines :D

anyway..leave it

NOV
19th January 2007, 07:12 PM
adhu onnummilla Joe, thimuru started by commenting on Pokkiri saying that how can a copied movie be called a hit.... (see first post of this thread)

naturally that line of discussion led to comparison with Kamal's movies, a vast majority of which are copies/inspirations, in the last many years.

(glass houses anyone?)

anyway, groucho got into the discussion and raised issues abt Nayakan.

thimuru then had to pull in sivaji. :lol:
matter avlOthaan.

joe
19th January 2007, 07:25 PM
Nov,
Konja naalave kamal moolama ennai vampukku izukkurathu unga vazhakkama pochu :lol:

Anyway,I don't have problem with movies inspired from other languages.The main reason is I watch other language movies (including english) very rarely and the knowledge about those are almost nil.

Inspired or not ,as long as the movie is different atleast for Tamil ,I always wants it.Namakku athu puthusu thane. :)

NOV
19th January 2007, 07:33 PM
enna Joe, summa kedandha sanggai oodhi keduththavan naanaa? :rotfl2:

altho it does slightly disorientate me, I can live with copies as long as they are remade well.

however, i get very uncomfortable when they are done of the same language. until now, I have a phobia in enjoying Kaadhala Kaadhala; becos of the same funeral-painting scene from Naam Iruvar Namakku Iruvar. The fact that Prabhu Deva acted in both movies, makes it worse. :cry:

rocketboy
19th January 2007, 10:40 PM
I know one guy who keeps copying/ getting inspired .But at the same time laurels keep pouring in from all and sundry. Who else ?

Saturn Rathnam , before someone drags me for a fight

m_23_bayarea
19th January 2007, 10:42 PM
What's wrong in remaking movies from other languages? If we apply the same rule in Business, Technology, politics, and other areas, then where will India stand? :roll:

nerdy
19th January 2007, 11:15 PM

Enna Gnanam

Yarayum pakkamaye , ungalavida vayasu kamminu kandu pudichitingale. :P

Erica
19th January 2007, 11:22 PM
What's wrong in remaking movies from other languages? If we apply the same rule in Business, Technology, politics, and other areas, then where will India stand? :roll:

Bay, Cinema is a wonderful media which exhibits thru different art forms like Dance, Music, Drama, Graphics, Poetry,.......... etc,. Unlike the other areas you've specified, movies require high creativity more than knowledge.....When somebody goes for remake, it just implies that they r out of ideas :oops:

There r few actors/directors who got inspired by certain movies and remade it in a total different way that suits our audience. This is generally very hard to do it but there r many successful movies like this :) .............IMO, This is also Creativity out of Inspiration :roll:

But, scene by scene e-adichan copy panradhu :banghead: is just COPYING :wink: ..........I agree that it would be a treat to people who don't watch movies from other language. Aana, that's just Business.....the more we go for remakes, Tamil cinema will loose it's grace and reputation very soon :)

m_23_bayarea
19th January 2007, 11:34 PM
Erica, Thanks a lot for the wonderful explanation! It all makes sense ... :P

But I still feel if we put down the ratio remake:original, it might be like 1:10 or something like that! So that will not mean that Tamil cinema will go down ... And yeah, ppl who remake movies probably dont care much abt the ART of cinema, but rather give HIT movies for Business reasons and their personal benefit only, or maybe to keep the fans and audience intact as well! :D

And say for example, a movie that has a concept that is totally out of the box for the Tamil audience ... And if some director/actor tries to remake it ... Maybe that will become a trendsetter and make ppl think a little outside their world ... That could mean, quality of Tamil cinema could also improve by remakes right? :wink: :oops:

thimuru
20th January 2007, 07:27 AM
adhu onnummilla Joe, thimuru started by commenting on Pokkiri saying that how can a copied movie be called a hit.... (see first post of this thread)

naturally that line of discussion led to comparison with Kamal's movies, a vast majority of which are copies/inspirations, in the last many years.

(glass houses anyone?)

anyway, groucho got into the discussion and raised issues abt Nayakan.

thimuru then had to pull in sivaji. :lol:
matter avlOthaan.

NOV,

:rotfl:

let me make it clear!

I dint start this thread..its NOV who started it!

I posted abt the remake pokiri in right thread...and kamals discussion came out which is a digression!

As a responsible moderator he dint stop the digression there...he allowed it and groucho used the word "thirudan"

thats why i have to say that NOV,Groucho all live in glass houses as majority of shivaji movies are inspired from foriegn movies with no disrespect to shivaji!

NOV as a person in the glass house of shivaji camp got tempered when i mentioned "following the crooked shadow" is the basic inspiration of "pudhiya paravai" and asked me to stop... :lol:

NOV suddenly he is posting a separate post against me from a glass house!

NOV...this explanation enough? :lol:

thimuru
20th January 2007, 07:32 AM
aammaa....pinna..angaye digression-a mudikama...pudhusa thread aarambichadhu yaru!

i dint start :huh:

enna Joe, summa kedandha sanggai oodhi keduththavan naanaa? :rotfl2:

altho it does slightly disorientate me, I can live with copies as long as they are remade well.

however, i get very uncomfortable when they are done of the same language. until now, I have a phobia in enjoying Kaadhala Kaadhala; becos of the same funeral-painting scene from Naam Iruvar Namakku Iruvar. The fact that Prabhu Deva acted in both movies, makes it worse. :cry:

NOV
20th January 2007, 08:36 AM
NOV as a person in the glass house of shivaji camp got tempered when i mentioned "following the crooked shadow" is the basic inspiration of "pudhiya paravai" and asked me to stophow does one explain simple logic?

1. A sample of 1 or 2 movies out of 200+ is grasping at the straws, to say the least.
Compare that with almost every single movie of Kamal of the last couple of decades. :lol:

2. No sivaji fan took the moral high ground and said this:

That you, a self-proclaimed Kamal fan"atic" said this is the laughable matter. :rotfl:

3. And finally since you say,
shall we declare VV as a non-hit? :poke:

p/s: By all means raise issues on Sivaji. But dont imagine it is going to affect me in any way. :poke:[/html]

thimuru
20th January 2007, 08:42 AM
NOV as a person in the glass house of shivaji camp got tempered when i mentioned "following the crooked shadow" is the basic inspiration of "pudhiya paravai" and asked me to stop
how does one explain simple logic?

1. A sample of 1 or 2 movies out of 200+ is grasping at the straws, to say the least.
Compare that with almost every single movie of Kamal of the last couple of decades. :lol:

2. No sivaji fan took the moral high ground and said this:

That you, a self-proclaimed Kamal fan"atic" said this is the laughable matter. :rotfl:

p/s: By all means raise issues on Sivaji. But dont imagine it is going to affect me in any way. :poke:

VV endha padathoda "utter-copy" nu konjam soldreengala :lol:

chinna pasanga therinjukuvom

2.NOV...a kamal fanatic can say it!why do u laugh?

for this much age...dont u know that only "making" in cinema is valid...kamals making is original than any other old or new actors
!

cinema is a visual media for ur info...my comment on pokiri is mainly based on making!

3.even the roshomon concept is made in his original way by kamal...not urufied :lol:

come on...come on...tell me the original of VV...Im eager..really i dunno :rotfl:

Ulaganayagan
20th January 2007, 07:08 PM
My turn :)

If you make use of Kurosawa's (for example) writing technique to tell your own story, thats inspiration.
If you tell someone else's story in your own way, you are creative,but you still have to own up for copying. (Esp if you dont get the rights)
If you copy both the screen play and the story of another movie, thats an obvious utter copy/remake.

In that way, Not many people in Indian Cinema can claim that they never copied.

ssanjinika
20th January 2007, 07:57 PM
Erica,
Good point but Id like to point one thing out..not all directors/actors/artistes are in this field because of their passion to this art. Ultimately film making is also a business which requires money and is expected to make money..quite a lot of it infact. When that is the case ,how can we say that it is wrong to copy something when the film makers put in so much money and effort into making it watchable for our audiences. As long as the movie is made well why shouldnt it earn money??AFterall by copying something it doesnt mean that they have used the same scenes from the original thereby cutting the cost rite? They have put in their money and effort..they should see returns. This is my opinion.

Warden
20th January 2007, 09:51 PM
[tscii]Stay on `Dasavatharam` !
By Moviebuzz | Saturday, 20 January , 2007, 18:23
The Madras High Court has put a stay on the release of Kamal Hassan’s magnum opus Dasavatharam directed by K.S.Ravikumar and produced by Oscar Films. The court has stayed the release of the film for four weeks, though the shooting of the film can go on.

It is a major embarrassment for Kamal Hassan, that he is being accused of plagiarism. A wanna- be story writer Senthil Kumar has alleged a few months back that the script of Dasavatharam was based on a story written by him and submitted to the actor some time back!

Senthil had accused Dasavatharam as being plagiarized version of his story in which the hero plays 10 different roles and had warned that he would take legal action at the time when the film was launched. And now he has managed to get a stay on the film.

Meanwhile the shoot of the film is taking place at Chengalpet near Chennai. Next month they are planning to go to Malaysia for a month long shoot. Recently Ravi Kumar had said that the film after post production work will release only by June- July. Earlier the producer V. Ravichandran had said that it would be an April 14th- Tamil New year release, but now he says it has been postponed.

It looks like Kamal and controversies go hand-in-hand. He had faced trouble over the title of Virumandi and Vasool Raja MBBS and a leading political party had objected to the English title MumbaiXpress.

I wud like the starter of this thread to throw away some explanations :D

thinkfloyd
20th January 2007, 10:05 PM
Warden,
Can you please enlighten us as to how ANYONE can tell if Kamal plagiarised the script for Dasavatharam when the movie is still under prodcution?? How can the court know if it is plagiarised?? To prove this charge, you need two copies of the stories, hope you understand that - onnu Senthil kitta irukku... inoonnu??? I mean the film is under production. Please answer us. This is not even a hearing with both sides. Your understanding of the situation is just laughable :lol: Do you know what a stay means? Did you read the court judgement? What do you understand by the line "the shooting can go on" ? You need to grow up :)
Nothing has been proved. His experience is more than your age perhaps.

In our land, anyone can file a case, without any legal or ethical basis.
And it is no embarrasment for Kamal. During Virumaandi many people, including actor Chandrasekhar alleged that it was their story. We all know what happened. Kamal indha madhiri pala pera paathaachu, don't worry :)

Warden
20th January 2007, 10:12 PM
Will a high court order a stay w/o proper enquiry/evidence :roll: If no I agree that im ignorant :)
And that wasn't with reference to jus this situation :)

Warden,
Can you please enlighten us as to how ANYONE can tell if Kamal plagiarised the script for Dasavatharam when the movie is still under prodcution?? How can the court know if it is plagiarised?? To prove this charge, you need two copies of the stories, hope you understand that - onnu Senthil kitta irukku... inoonnu??? I mean the film is under production. Please answer us. This is not even a hearing with both sides. Your understanding of the situation is just laughable :lol: Do you know what a stay means? Did you read the court judgement? What do you understand by the line "the shooting can go on" ? You need to grow up :)
Nothing has been proved. His experience is more than your age perhaps.

In our land, anyone can file a case, without any legal or ethical basis.
And it is no embarrasment for Kamal. During Virumaandi many people, including actor Chandrasekhar alleged that it was their story. We all know what happened. Kamal indha madhiri pala pera paathaachu, don't worry :)

thinkfloyd
20th January 2007, 10:17 PM
Will ahigh court order a stay w/o proper enquiry :roll:
And that wasn't with reference to jus this situation :D

Please see the details of the judgement and report the same here. If not, please don't imagine stuff. We don't know that yet right?
Also, why would the court agree to the shooting going on? :)
Romba avasara padadheenga. Konjam wait pannuvom, the truth will come out.

Do you know when Senthil is alleged to have sent the 'story' to Kamal by registered post? Do you know when Kamal publicly told the media about Dasavatharam first?

We shall see in a matter of time...

thinkfloyd
20th January 2007, 10:35 PM
About the topic, well, it looks like this has been opened to settle some scores :)
I'm also surprised that the moderator encourages digressions and opens a new thread when an identical thread is already existing in the archives :)

It is a well known fact that Kamal is an inspired film maker. I don't see anything wrong in it. There is no creator who can claim he has not been inspired or copied to an extent. In Kamal's case, two things are different.
The number of inspirations have been more and also people tend to be overtly more critical of Kamal. He comes under intense scrutiny much like Sachin Tendulkar does. Also, what sets Kamal apart is how he improvises on the inspirations. It should also be noted that he has never remade any movie without crediting the original. What many people consider to be remakes aren't remakes. They are inspired adaptations. Infact, i don't see anything wrong in remakes also as long as one does other original stuff also.

By the way, like Nerd says, there is no way Sivaji can be compared with Kamal when it comes to inspirations in my opinion. However, that shouldn't take anything away. I consider Kamal a far superior actor than Sivaji and a more valuable asset to cinema, irrespective of the inspirations :)

Ulaganayagan
21st January 2007, 08:46 AM
It is a well known fact that Kamal is an inspired film maker. I don't see anything wrong in it. There is no creator who can claim he has not been inspired or copied to an extent. In Kamal's case, two things are different.
The number of inspirations have been more and also people tend to be overtly more critical of Kamal. He comes under intense scrutiny much like Sachin Tendulkar does. Also, what sets Kamal apart is how he improvises on the inspirations. It should also be noted that he has never remade any movie without crediting the original. What many people consider to be remakes aren't remakes. They are inspired adaptations. Infact, i don't see anything wrong in remakes also as long as one does other original stuff also.

By the way, like Nerd says, there is no way Sivaji can be compared with Kamal when it comes to inspirations in my opinion. However, that shouldn't take anything away. I consider Kamal a far superior actor than Sivaji and a more valuable asset to cinema, irrespective of the inspirations :)
Bravo ! Excellent post :clap:

tacinema
21st January 2007, 10:50 AM
Thinkfloyd: Could you justify your statement that Kamal is a superior actor to Sivaji? I bet Kamal is no where near Sivaji in acting. I agree Kamal is just a good actor in the current crop. Additionally, Kamal is good in other aspects of cinema: story writing, singing, direction; but definitely not in acting.

thinkfloyd
21st January 2007, 11:04 AM
Thinkfloyd: Could you justify your statement that Kamal is a superior actor to Sivaji? I bet Kamal is no where near Sivaji in acting. I agree Kamal is just a good actor in the current crop. Additionally, Kamal is good in other aspects of cinema: story writing, singing, direction; but definitely not in acting.
What's there to justify? The filmography is there to see. Kamal surpassed Sivaji long back. Ofcourse, when it comes to all aspects of cinema, Sivaji is nowhere in the picture.
Well, you've got your opinion, i've got mine. So there

Saamy
21st January 2007, 11:19 AM
getting a stay is no big deal.. if i put a case on sivaji that the story is mine, i can get a stay on the release without much problem...

tacinema
21st January 2007, 11:57 AM
Thinkfloyd: When did Kamal surpass Sivaji in acting? May be in your dreams. Why are you dragging Sivaji's name in inspiration thread?

I am sure some of NT's movies are inspired from hollywood, but his acting was always original. But, you cannot say the same to any other tamil actors/actresses.

When someone talks about inspiration or copy in tamil cinema, I am sure everyone talks only about Kamal. Why is that so? I will leave it up to you to answer this question.

Warden
21st January 2007, 12:06 PM
without any solid evidence :roll:
can any1 brief me abt the judicial procedure :roll:

getting a stay is no big deal.. if i put a case on sivaji that the story is mine, i can get a stay on the release without much problem...

thinkfloyd
21st January 2007, 12:07 PM
Thinkfloyd: When did Kamal surpass Sivaji in acting? May be in your dreams.

Edhukku ivalo tension? Relax and learn to handle opinions that are different from yours :)
And keep dreaming on about Sivaji sir....

T
Why are you dragging Sivaji's name in inspiration thread?

I didn't. Please read what i had written about that. I said i agree with Nerd. It is the moderator who has to explain why he has opened a redundant thread when a thread exists for Kamal's Hollywood Copies

When someone talks about inspiration or copy in tamil cinema, I am sure everyone talks only about Kamal. Why is that so? I will leave it up to you to answer this question.

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. READ!

I strongly recommend reading my posts before replying :)

trigit
21st January 2007, 01:40 PM
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=9098

thinkfloyd
21st January 2007, 01:47 PM
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=9098
Gautham has mentioned in interviews that the film is adapted from the book and not the film

Ulaganayagan
21st January 2007, 03:22 PM

What are you trying to suggest here dude.. Are you trying to say that Dasa's story belongs to the guy who is claiming it? If you wanna say so, go ahead and do it.. Why do you need an explanation on legal procedures for that :roll:

thimuru
21st January 2007, 04:08 PM
Thinkfloyd: When did Kamal surpass Sivaji in acting? May be in your dreams. Why are you dragging Sivaji's name in inspiration thread?

ofcourse kamal has surpassed!

while shivajii sir came to act the film industry has evolved from drama....so he acted it in a dramatic way....when kamal started acting the older generation especially shivaji set the stage right and kamal gave better acting than shivaji or others!

NOV
21st January 2007, 06:30 PM
About the topic, well, it looks like this has been opened to settle some scores :)
I'm also surprised that the moderator encourages digressions and opens a new thread when an identical thread is already existing in the archives :)Please dont just listen to a fellow Kamal fan and come to conclusions. :roll:
Digressions were going on in another totally unrelated thread and even in spite of asking the ppl to stop digressing, they continued. The digressions were there split to begin a new topic and I added my views after that. :roll:

In Kamal's case, two things are different.
The number of inspirations have been more ....:exactly:
That is the reason for my first response to Thimiru.
But unfortunately, he has yet to understand the irony of his original post, Frankly, that he cannot understand surprises me, especially since he is a Kamal fan. :oops:

Infact, i don't see anything wrong in remakes also as long as one does other original stuff also. Oh yes. I have already stated my stand on this as well.

It should also be noted that he has never remade any movie without crediting the original. What That is pure humbug. A good reminder is Avvai Shanmughi. :evil:

thimuru
21st January 2007, 07:15 PM
NOV,

u mentioned the word "copy" not inspiration... go back and see ur comments!

u also mentioned VV a copy! :lol:

anyway.....

Ulaganayagan
21st January 2007, 08:21 PM
It should also be noted that he has never remade any movie without crediting the original. What That is pure humbug. A good reminder is Avvai Shanmughi. :evil:
Its true that Kamal did not credit Mrs.Doubtfire..But he did not credit himself did he? The story for the tamil version was credited to Crazy, screenplay to KSR and even in the hindi version (Chachi 420), only the screenplay was credited to Kamal, not the story...

BTW, you could also check out these links,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139872/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233422/

The user comments say it all 8-)

tacinema
21st January 2007, 10:44 PM
thinkfloyd:

I have no issues with you and I may not read all your prior postings.

My point is you said Kamal is a superior actor than Sivaji. That is, like comparing director Adoor Gopalakrishnan with Mani Ratnam. Like Adoor, Sivaji was original and perfected with different roles. IMO, Kamal is yet to bring the perfection to different roles. But there are exceptions: Kamal was excellent in Salangai Oli. Again opinion differs and I have already had this discussion earlier. So, let us stop the digression.

There is a very thin difference between inspiration and copy. Can anyone explain the difference?

thinkfloyd
21st January 2007, 11:35 PM
Avvai Shanmugi is heavily inspired from Mrs.Doubtfire no doubt(!). It also borrows a few scenes from Dustin Hoffman starrer Tootsie. However, it was improvised enough for it not to be called an outright copy. Also, Kamal has given more than one interview acknowledging the Mrs.Doubtfire inspiration and also the fact that the idea appeared much before the English movie was made (that doesn't change the fact that it borrowed liberally from Mrs.Doubtfire). Why do i say its not an outright copy? Its obvious when you see the two films. The characterizations, the screenplay, the weightage are very much different

thinkfloyd
21st January 2007, 11:42 PM
thinkfloyd:
I have no issues with you and I may not read all your prior postings.

Who asked you to read ALL my prior postings?
The funny thing here is, the very post of mine to which you replied rather strongly stated very clearly that Sivaji shouldn't in any way be compared when it comes to inspirations. Yet you ignored that part completely :)

My point is you said Kamal is a superior actor than Sivaji. That is, like comparing director Adoor Gopalakrishnan with Mani Ratnam. Like Adoor, Sivaji was original and perfected with different roles. IMO, Kamal is yet to bring the perfection to different roles. But there are exceptions: Kamal was excellent in Salangai Oli. Again opinion differs and I have already had this discussion earlier. So, let us stop the digression.

I would reverse the sentence and say Kamal is the superior actor here and comparison with Sivaji is meaningless. Perfected??
Let me just give ONE example.
Mirudanga Chakravarthy - Hilarious comedy
Anbe Sivam (Kamal playing thavil in the therukkoothu) - Real with practice.
End of story
Like Kamal says "perfection is a myth, excellence is what we should be after". Kamal beats Sivaji hands down in almost all parameters you can use for judging acting. We won't get anywhere with that, will we?
Yes, let us stop the digression :)

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd January 2007, 12:12 AM
Comparing Sivaji with Kamal is like comparing apples and oranges.There is no point in comparing two generations.

Agreed that Kamal is a good actor but my question is most of the characters which he choose is absolutely eccentric and rare.

Open-Challenge to Kamal and his fans, can he act in a normal family person's role like Gouravam,Uyarndha Manidhan,Thillana Mohanambal,Padithal Mattum Podhuma? etc., or spiritual role like Appar,Thiruvilayadal,Saraswathy Sabadham or freedom fighters role like Veera Paandiya Kattabomman,VOC,Bharathiyar?

---- If Kamal cant act in any one of the above said role then he is still developing...!

Endha inspiration-um illama Sivaji andha kaalathula act panninadhu periya vishayam,Sivaji should be an inspiration for Kamalhassan.
Afterall 'Dasavatharam' is a inspiration of 'Navarathri' .. :huh:

Endha technology-um illadha kaalathula so called 'Get-Up' change pannuradhu rombha kashtam....Ippo Vikram kooda thaan pannuraar?! After a decade will you guys will accept that Vikram is a better actor than Kamalhassan?

NOV
22nd January 2007, 05:59 AM
There is a very thin difference between inspiration and copy. Can anyone explain the difference?Yes, I can.
maththavan adicha copy, thanakku vEndiyavan adichaa inspiration. :D

m_23_bayarea
22nd January 2007, 06:04 AM
There is a very thin difference between inspiration and copy. Can anyone explain the difference?Yes, I can.

:clap: :notworthy: :lol: :lol2: :yes: :2thumbsup: :cool2: :exactly: :ty:

Wibha
22nd January 2007, 06:36 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl:

groucho070
22nd January 2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for this thread, Nov. Interesting views, but sad that they have to drag NT (that's Sivaji, for those not familiar). But, as I said, ellarume thirudanggattaan.

We all steal from someone. We tell a joke to someone and never credit the original guy or gal who told you in the first place. Or we'd watch National Geographic and brag to a gal your knowledge.

I usually try and avoid that. I am a journalist and in our articles, we have to credit the source. If not, we get out a** sued.

I am crazy about NT. And I am crazy about Rajini and Kamal, whom I love equally. But NT comes first.

First, accusation that NT copied Brando. The Brando quote was: "Sivaji can act like, I can't act like Sivaji." Knowing Brando (I have many biographies and a autobiography as evidents), he may have meant, "Sivaji mimics well, not me."

Having seen many NT films AND Brando films, I found nothing that shows the former copied the latter. Of course, this is not the case with Kamal. But I won't venture into it. I love Kamal too much to complain.

And then, there is the issue, who's better Kamal or NT? I have answer...NT of course, no doubt about it. Ask the man himself, ask him and ask the people in the industry, as the directors who directed Kamal. The answer will be the same. It's like asking, who's better, Brando or Pacino? Brando or De Niro?.

Before NT, acting was dull. There were only songs to excite people. Nobody was thinking about superb performance and dialogue delivery until NT came along. He opened the gate for other performers. His own image risking nature (playing lepers, scarred face, and elderly man at a very young age) gave hope to other actors. Many wanted to be NT at NTs time. Kamal and Rajini (I told this million times) took it from NT, improvised, added their own ingredient and went different directions. They are both NT's artistic children. There is no question who's better, father or son? You decide.

And coming back to copying/inspiration. Take Star Wars. Star Wars is inspired by Kurosawa, Wagners Ring plays, Lord of the Ring (books), and Josephy Campbells book probing Myths. These are all inspirations, some blatant, and some subtle.

Copying is taking directly. Take Magnificent Seven and A Fistful of Dollars. Both are taken directly from Kurosawa's flicks. The credits have been acknowledged.

I wish Kamal had the credits during the credit sequences itself in some of his adapted movies (Avvai, Thenali [What about bob?]), and set a precedence. If you want to copy, can, but acknowledge. Scriptwriters and directors of the original has slogged hourse, shed blood and sweat to come out with those scenes, and you just snap it up just like that. But I love Kamal too much to complain.

I think what A.R. Rahman is doing is correct. He now proceeds to own the copyright of all his work. They will be his, and if someone else steals it (been happening last one decade) he can sue their a** off.

I am not saying Kamal alone has been getting 'inspiration', but there are many others. Manirathnam himself has taken entire sequence (the uppumoottai smuggling scene from Once Upon A Time In America) and plot device, but failed to credit them. Talking about them in interview is one thing, but to put in in the credit sequence will be a noble act.

I hope I got it right. I just hope the 'crediting' kalacharam will come into the Tamil film industry. It is getting healthy; reaching international stratosphere, and it will be apt that they try to be as original as possible. If you can't, credit the original.

The above argumet, of course, does not include interstate/language remakes. Funny enough, when these remakes are made, the original is credited.

joe
22nd January 2007, 09:21 AM
Kamal is a great actor..But If you tell "kamal surpass sivaji in acting" ...ithai ketta kamal vizhunthu vizunthu sirippar .He even said "Avar king .Avar simmasanathula yaarum muzusa ukkara mudiyathu .Naan unkkanthirukkatha solluranga .Appadiye irunthaalum antha simmasanathoda nuniyila thaan ennala ukkara mudiyum"

joe
22nd January 2007, 09:27 AM
Kamal is a great actor..But If you tell "kamal surpass sivaji in acting" ...ithai ketta kamal vizhunthu vizunthu sirippar .He even said "Avar king .Avar simmasanathula yaarum muzusa ukkara mudiyathu .Naan unkkanthirukkatha solluranga .Appadiye irunthaalum antha simmasanathoda nuniyila thaan ennala ukkara mudiyum"

And don't tell me kamal praise NT just for the sake of praising senior .kamal is a kind of person don't praise people who don't deserve..He is a hardcore NT fan ,one among millions of NT fans.

joe
22nd January 2007, 09:30 AM
In baba movie ,one seeing NT on TV ,SuperStar Rajini says "Ennaa Nadippu ?Innoruthan poranthu varanum" .It is not just dialogue from dialogue writer ,but comes from Super Star's heart. :)

Saamy
22nd January 2007, 10:59 AM
Come on NT fans, why are u guys joking here?

groucho070
22nd January 2007, 11:01 AM
Well, I didn't know that we were funny. Great sense of humour you got, Saamy. Explains a lot...

joe
22nd January 2007, 11:03 AM

Do you think Kamal and rajini are joking by saying NT is King and Nadippu magan respectively?

Saamy
22nd January 2007, 11:09 AM

Do you think Kamal and rajini are joking by saying NT is King and Nadippu magan respectively? well according to me Kamal has overtaken sivaji long ago in acting. I dont think i can convince u hardcorde NT fans. 8-)

joe
22nd January 2007, 11:13 AM

Do you think Kamal and rajini are joking by saying NT is King and Nadippu magan respectively? well according to me Kamal has overtaken sivaji long ago in acting. I dont think i can convince u hardcorde NT fans. 8-)

How do you I know you are better kamal fan than me ? I am a hardcore kamal fan too .That doesn't stop me saying NT is incomparable ,truth known by kamal himself.

Saamy
22nd January 2007, 11:14 AM

How do you I know you are better kamal fan than me ? I am a hardcore kamal fan too .That doesn't stop me saying NT is incomparable ,truth known by kamal himself.i am more of a cinema fan than a kamal fan.

Many sivaji movies made me feel that sivaji was a great over-actor. he had very little voice modulation. some of his movies in the 80's were utter crap. his fighting, dancing were hilarious. he could shine only in historical or family sentiment movies. Just "crying or shouting loud" wont make him the best actor ever. 8-)

joe
22nd January 2007, 11:16 AM

According to me nobody can overtake NT in acting ,unless he reborn again ,whereas kamal is the only actor can be compared with him ..Kamal is no match as a allrounder and technician and NT is no match as an actor.

groucho070
22nd January 2007, 11:20 AM
Joe, we know. Even Kamal knows what are his shortcomings. If Saamy sar were to read my earlier posts, he would have noted that I love Kamal too much to complain about him. I leave it at that.

NT had his weaknesses, chosing wrong material, especially in late seventies and early eighties. He was strictly director's actor. Do as told. Unless it''s from his production house. Plus, he was gaining weight and at that time most of his co-stars were bad performers. There is only so much he could do.

As for Kamal, I love his performance too much to complain. If I do, other Kamal fans will not be able to take it.

joe
22nd January 2007, 11:29 AM
Groucho,
I know kamal knows better than kamal fans .We are proud to have Kamal and Rajini as NT fans like us :D

selvakumar
22nd January 2007, 11:39 AM
And don't tell me kamal praise NT just for the sake of praising senior .kamal is a kind of person don't praise people who don't deserve..He is a hardcore NT fan ,one among millions of NT fans.

Most of the times.. But not ALL the times.. One small example. Vattaaram.
Apart from that, I agree more than 90% he don't praise people who don't deserve though there are few exceptions.

bingleguy
22nd January 2007, 11:42 AM
Remakes are better than dubbing ;-) idhu ennoda karuthu ...

Andha kaalathula niraya Amitabh padangal remake panni Rajini movies HIT aayirukku ......

ippo Hindi la vandha padam HINDI la thamizh la vandha padam thamizh la ..... nnu remake panni kittu irukkaanga ... :-)

pazha kattadamaaga irundhaalum, pudhu paint adicha minna thaane seyyum .... well remakes panradhu thappu illai......

Saamy
22nd January 2007, 11:57 AM

Apart from that, I agree more than 90% he don't praise people who don't deserve though there are few exceptions. yes once he praised vikraman.

joe
22nd January 2007, 11:59 AM

Apart from that, I agree more than 90% he don't praise people who don't deserve though there are few exceptions. yes once he praised vikraman.

Enna sonnar? Ulagathulaye avara maathiri director kidayathunna sonnar? :?

joe
22nd January 2007, 12:10 PM
Saamy,
Kamal may praise some people for curtosy in some function .But even then he rarely uses 'Adai mozhi' such as Puradchi Thalaivi ,Thamizhina thalaivar etc etc to please others ..Even in chevalie function ,he called Jayalaitha just as 'Thamizhaga muthalvar' ,whereas all others call 'Puradchi Thalaivi' ..So far I have seen only 'Nadigar Thilagam' and 'kalainjar' as adaimozhi's .He is setimental to few people only like NT,Balachander ,Ananthu ,Nagesh ,Ilayaraja,Rajikapoor,Kannadasan and Kalainjar.

Saamy
22nd January 2007, 12:15 PM
joe,

just because kamal is a fan of NT, i need not be a fan of NT.

joe
22nd January 2007, 12:17 PM
joe,

.Thaaralama.Did I complain ? :?

Btw,I became a NT fan not because I am a kamal fan. :)

groucho070
22nd January 2007, 12:18 PM
We are running away from the subject. Let me bring back my words from the previous page.

But before that:

Before NT, acting was dull. There were only songs to excite people. Nobody was thinking about superb performance and dialogue delivery until NT came along. He opened the gate for other performers. His own image risking nature (playing lepers, scarred face, and elderly man at a very young age) gave hope to other actors. Many wanted to be NT at NTs time. Kamal and Rajini (I told this million times) took it from NT, improvised, added their own ingredient and went different directions. They are both NT's artistic children. There is no question who's better, father or son? You decide.

Do I have to make it any clear?

Here's on copying/inspiration:

And coming back to copying/inspiration. Take Star Wars. Star Wars is inspired by Kurosawa, Wagners Ring plays, Lord of the Ring (books), and Josephy Campbells book probing Myths. These are all inspirations, some blatant, and some subtle.

Copying is taking directly. Take Magnificent Seven and A Fistful of Dollars. Both are taken directly from Kurosawa's flicks. The credits have been acknowledged.

I wish Kamal had the credits during the credit sequences itself in some of his adapted movies (Avvai, Thenali [What about bob?]), and set a precedence. If you want to copy, can, but acknowledge. Scriptwriters and directors of the original has slogged hourse, shed blood and sweat to come out with those scenes, and you just snap it up just like that. But I love Kamal too much to complain.

I think what A.R. Rahman is doing is correct. He now proceeds to own the copyright of all his work. They will be his, and if someone else steals it (been happening last one decade) he can sue their a** off.

I am not saying Kamal alone has been getting 'inspiration', but there are many others. Manirathnam himself has taken entire sequence (the uppumoottai smuggling scene from Once Upon A Time In America) and plot device, but failed to credit them. Talking about them in interview is one thing, but to put in in the credit sequence will be a noble act.

I hope I got it right. I just hope the 'crediting' kalacharam will come into the Tamil film industry. It is getting healthy; reaching international stratosphere, and it will be apt that they try to be as original as possible. If you can't, credit the original.

The above argumet, of course, does not include interstate/language remakes. Funny enough, when these remakes are made, the original is credited.

groucho070
22nd January 2007, 12:26 PM
joe,

.Thaaralama.Did I complain ? :?

Precisely.

Btw,I became a NT fan not because I am a kamal fan. :)

Same here. I was a Kamal fan first, having grown up with those films. Never bothered about NT.

Then, as when I started to learn about filmaking, acting (I did course on scriptwriting) started to write amateur reviews of film, I began to appreciate the whole process of making the best out of make-believe world.

And I rediscovered NT....the rest? You will have to read my posts in NT's thread, Saamy.

Rajkumar_mj
22nd January 2007, 12:33 PM

Navin

What do you want to prove here? Has Kamal copied that Asst.Director's Story ?.

He has seen these kind of things already. Finalay he will succeed alll these things.

Go to Vijay's Thread and happy with the Success of the Movie.
:P

Rajkumar_mj
22nd January 2007, 12:36 PM

Appdi Illa NOV

Scene By Scene By Adicha Copy and Original story oda particular style a mattum vachii panna athu Inspiration.
8-)

selvakumar
22nd January 2007, 12:39 PM
Navin

He has seen these kind of things already. Finalay he will succeed alll these things.

welcome back brother.. Any inside info on this and what the team is going to do next ? :)

joe
22nd January 2007, 12:42 PM
Navin

welcome back brother.. Any inside info on this and what the team is going to do next ? :)

I read once Sujatha talked about this alegation and sujatha backed kamal saying he personally know How kamal himself grows this story.

selvakumar
22nd January 2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info Joe :) :D
Glad to hear this. :D

Saamy
22nd January 2007, 12:58 PM

our judicial system doesnt any solid evidence for such things.
did the PMk have any solid evidence against kushboo :evil:
what evidence was provided to arrest karunanidhi :?: The case is just about to begin. so till it ends , the release is stayed. 8-)

Rajkumar_mj
22nd January 2007, 02:56 PM
Comparing Sivaji with Kamal is like comparing apples and oranges.There is no point in comparing two generations.

Agreed that Kamal is a good actor but my question is most of the characters which he choose is absolutely eccentric and rare.
Open-Challenge to Kamal and his fans, can he act in a normal family person's role like Gouravam,Uyarndha Manidhan,Thillana Mohanambal,Padithal Mattum Podhuma? etc., or spiritual role like Appar,Thiruvilayadal,Saraswathy Sabadham or freedom fighters role like Veera Paandiya Kattabomman,VOC,Bharathiyar?

---- If Kamal cant act in any one of the above said role then he is still developing...!

Endha inspiration-um illama Sivaji andha kaalathula act panninadhu periya vishayam,Sivaji should be an inspiration for Kamalhassan.

Endha technology-um illadha kaalathula so called 'Get-Up' change pannuradhu rombha kashtam....Ippo Vikram kooda thaan pannuraar?! After a decade will you guys will accept that Vikram is a better actor than Kamalhassan?

<Dig>
Sridhar

Shivaji is the Greatest Actor and Maha nadigan of our Country. No one denis this.

Kamal Good actornu sollradhu nijam illa. He is great actor adhu dhan nijam. :D

Didn't he act as a Normal Family man role? Haven't you seen Mahanadhi and Devar Magan?

If he gets a chance, he would excel very well. Adhukkaga "Developing" solradhu ellam romba Jasthi. With out any doubt He can do any roles. :D

Do you think Uyarndha Manidhan , Padithal Mattum Podhuma were very good movies which no on can act? :o

IMO. Shyaji shinde performed very well as bharathiar than Shivaji Ganesan in "Sindhu nadhiyin" song. Shivaji wasted his last 20 years other than Mudhal Mariyadhai and Dever Magan. 8-)

Vikram with Getup??? Anniyan ??? That is Fancy dress competition. That role had many flaws and not a good performance like hyped by media.

Vikram is good actor and done well in Sethu and Kasi. How about other movies?

IMO -> Ajith is better actor than Vikram and could do better than Vikram, if he gets a very good chance.

</Dig>

joe
22nd January 2007, 03:11 PM
Rajkumar_mj,
NT fans-m Kamal fans-m allathu Rendu perukkum fan-a irukkira palarum ippadi mothi thevaiyillama vaarthaigala kotturathu nallathilla .'Ooru rendu patta kooththadikku vettai' maathiri ayidum..athunala NT-Kamal compare pannuratha vittudalame? :)

Rajkumar_mj
22nd January 2007, 03:25 PM
Rajkumar_mj,
NT fans-m Kamal fans-m allathu Rendu perukkum fan-a irukkira palarum ippadi mothi thevaiyillama vaarthaigala kotturathu nallathilla .'Ooru rendu patta kooththadikku vettai' maathiri ayidum..athunala NT-Kamal compare pannuratha vittudalame? :)

Joe

I never ridicule NT any where. Just I replied to Sridhar post that too without riduculing NT.

I feel NT could do better than what he had done before. Unfortunately He wasted last 20 years of his career and He can do better that What Amithab is doing now.

Kamal can do the same roles of shivaji in his own way if he would get a chance. That is my arguement.

joe
22nd January 2007, 03:29 PM
Rajkumar_mj,

Joe

I never ridicule NT any where. Just I replied to Sridhar post that too without riduculing NT.

I feel NT could do better than what he had done before. Unfortunately He wasted last 20 years of his career and He can do better that What Amithab is doing now.

Kamal can do the same roles of shivaji in his own way if he would get a chance. That is my arguement.

I never said you ridiculed NT and I (and most of us NT fans) agreed that NT was wasted many years .

Oru pokkishaththai kadavul namakku koduththar .Athai naama (Tamil cine world) muzhvathum upayokikkama vittutom .Antha varuththam enakkum undu :oops: NT -oda value therinjavar namma kamal .see how he used him in Devar magan :D

thinkfloyd
22nd January 2007, 05:37 PM
floyd, are you A_A in disguise :lol2:

Huh? Excuse me..??

Sridhar,
:lol:

thimuru
22nd January 2007, 06:04 PM

how abt mahanadhi,moondram pirai,anbe sivam,nizhal nijamagiradhu,unnaal mudiyum thambi,pushpak all are very normal charecters....but we did notice nayagan and aboorva sagodharargal....thats the reason!

gouravam....a normal family person role....naaaaaahhhhhh!...thats an eccentric role for ur info!

padithal mattum podhuma :thumbsup:

NOV
22nd January 2007, 06:07 PM
Apart from that, I agree more than 90% he don't praise people who don't deserve though there are few exceptions.Vattaaram was one of the better movies of the Deepavali season. Unfortunately it sank becos of the hype of the other releases.

If Kamal had indeed praised Vattaram, it is certainly deserving.

NOV
22nd January 2007, 06:11 PM
Groucho & Joe

NT has nothing to do with this discussion. Bringing him in was just a mschievious attempt to sidetrack the issue. :roll:

Sivaji was a great actor.
Kamal is a great actor.

Period.

now please continue with copies/inspirations. :P

selvakumar
22nd January 2007, 06:13 PM
Vattaaram was one of the better movies of the Deepavali season. Unfortunately it sank becos of the hype of the other releases.

If Kamal had indeed praised Vattaram, it is certainly deserving.

:lol: Agreed NOV ! :) Vattaaram is one of the best movies that got released in the year 2006.

P E R I O D !

NOV
22nd January 2007, 06:24 PM
:lol: Agreed NOV ! :) Vattaaram is one of the best movies that got released in the year 2006. :shock:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=795300#795300
8-)

Warden
22nd January 2007, 07:52 PM
[tscii:69b90400cd]`Dasavatharam` update- Kamal clarifies!
By Moviebuzz | Sunday, 21 January , 2007, 13:19
The Madras High Court has restrained Kamal Hassan and Producer Oscar Ravichandran from releasing Dasavatharam for four weeks. The orders were passed on a civil suit filed by Senthil Kumar of Tambaram.

In his suit, Senthil Kumar has submitted that he had written a story under the title “Ardhanari alias clones”. He thought Kamal would be ideal to play the role. So he visited the actor’s office and was asked to leave a copy of the story for the actor’s perusal.

Senthil‘s demand was that if his story was accepted, he has to be appointed as the assistant director and also be paid a lump sum amount. However he was shocked to find that the same story was adopted as Dasavatharam!

When contacted Kamal Hassan said: “I have many useful things to do, other than replying to such wild allegations. Right now I’m concentrating fully on Dasavatharam>, which is shaping out well.”
[/tscii:69b90400cd]

Ulaganayagan
22nd January 2007, 08:09 PM
SS: Very good post :clap:

floyd, are you A_A in disguise :lol2:
:shock:
Can u explain whats so good about that post..

thinkfloyd
22nd January 2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah we have all the technology these days. Forget Vikram, even Ramarajan and Ganja Karuppu can use those to come in various "getups". Surely, what Kamal does is no big deal. Childs play. Avvai Shanmugi can be done even by high school students in fancy dress competitions. Everyone can modulate voice, change pitch, convey subtleties with the eys, adjust body language, the way the fingers touch the door. Even Prashant played a woman. Of course, Prashanth = Kamal. Piece of cake.
Anyone can wear an old man make up like Indian thatha. Again body language, everything is peanuts. What? Kadal Meengal-a? Salangai Oli-a? Nonsense! They had Michael Westmore for that also. And yes, the NT fans here are correct. Getup pottavanga ellam act pannalaam.
Technology is so improved these days. Software Engineers shouldn't be paid. The computer should be paid. Imagine those poor humans back then in the days without computer :(
Technology is automatic. It can by itself make even Kamal act. Effortless.

Vaazhga jananayagam :) :notworthy:

thinkfloyd
22nd January 2007, 10:03 PM
ivaLO periya post-la neenga naan quote pannina first sentance pathi pEsavE illai. That probably is the most important point.

If only you care to read my post, i have acknowledged that twice in the last few pages. Here it is, Kamal is an inspired maker - whether everyone agrees and appreciates what it is notwithstanding. Comparison with Sivaji in this aspect is meaningless. OK va? :)

Andha pombaLa vEsham, subtleties ellAm robin williams pannalEnu sollunga paappOm. The thing is KH has a lot of people to inspire from. Shivaji had none and that speaks volumes on his acting :)
Come on, playing a woman is an age old thing in the world of "stage". Infact, Kamal got this idea from Mr.Avvai Shanmugam only, his stage guru. Sivaji-ku influence-e illa nu solradhu too much. How does it matter if Robin Williams had done it or Mr.Sodala Muthu had already done it. How does that take away Kamal's performance? Ennammo oru periya kutham madhiri pesareengale? Appadi paatha, Kamal innikki evalavu perukku inspiration? So, can every other actor do it with ease? That's what you all seem to be implying. Panna sollunga paappom yaravadhu?
Don't tell me Robin William's and Hoffman's performances were better than Kamal's!!!
He deserves a lot more but atleast give some credit guys. Please don't make another mistake. Bharathi is example enough.

And Nerd, going by your logic, somebody had already played a woman, before Kamal did. Fine. So, do you mean to say, all of Sivaji's role were so unique that nobody in this planet had ever done those roles before? Nobody has played a father, son, freedom fighter, murderer, etc???? Ennanga idhu aniyayama irukku?

m_23_bayarea
22nd January 2007, 10:13 PM
Whether it's INSPIRATION or COPY, isnt it just bringing good movies to Tamil? Why do we need to think it's derogatory in the first place? And most importantly, how did this turn out to become a SIVAJI vs KAMAL thread anyways? :oops:

m_23_bayarea
22nd January 2007, 10:25 PM
panninA mattum, neenga apdiyE appreciate panni, thalaila thUkki vechu aada pORingaLA? vikram/surya/maddy nallA nadichA udanE they are still miles behind KH-nu solradhu. Yes they are, but their performances in some movies, match KH's in some of his movies (good ones that is). Idha neenga accept panna pORathilla, no one can better KH is what you guys have in your mind. You guys are doing the same thing, what shivaji fans are doing: No one can better shivaji :)

Did you copy this from my LEGACY thread? :lol: :P :wink:

thamiz
22nd January 2007, 10:29 PM
thinkfloyd:

I dont think you can go defend inspirations and copies just because you have lots of respect for Kh.

Appadi paatha, Kamal innikki evalavu perukku inspiration? ?

Inspiration for what?

Inspiring from hollywood films? Yeah, now so many has learnt from Kh, how to inspire from hollywood movie and bring pudhumai to Tamil Cinema :lol:

thinkfloyd: Think floyd! :lol:

thamiz
22nd January 2007, 10:31 PM
I have a bad feeling about this thread's future directions.! :lol:

kannannn
22nd January 2007, 10:32 PM
[tscii:a0e10d7a73]thinkfloyd is right about Kamal's original inspiration for Avvai Shanmugi. In Kamal's words:
"It was like looking at the other side of a chromosome. The crucial thing was the choice of the actor and the age of the character. The age of the woman was crucial to eliminate vulgarity and to keep out elements of homosexuality. I had thought of the film before Mrs. Doubtfire, though the idea crystallised after I saw Mrs. Doubtfire.

Everybody thinks that Avvai Shanmughi was based on Mrs Doubtfire. But its genesis goes back several years. Avvai Shanmugham was my guru’s name. He had done a perfect enactment of a poetess on stage. So, the late S S Vasan wanted to cast him as a woman in Avayyar. But somehow things didn’t work out and he cast K B Sunderammal. I got the idea from there. I wanted to play a woman, but not a young woman because it could lead to lewdness."

http://www.screenindia.com/dec19/cover2.htm[/tscii:a0e10d7a73]

thinkfloyd
22nd January 2007, 10:33 PM
namma discussion-E adha paththi dhAn. Inspirations/copies. Dont tell me that avvai shanmugham's that play had the same storyline as doubtfire/AS. pombaLa vEsham pOduRathu pudhusu illai. edhukku pOduRaanga, enna panRAnganu dhAn matters. Robin williams panninathayE pannA, its natural to compare that with AS.

Avvai Shanmugi is heavily inspired from Mrs.Doubtfire no doubt(!). It also borrows a few scenes from Dustin Hoffman starrer Tootsie. However, it was improvised enough for it not to be called an outright copy. Also, Kamal has given more than one interview acknowledging the Mrs.Doubtfire inspiration and also the fact that the idea appeared much before the English movie was made (that doesn't change the fact that it borrowed liberally from Mrs.Doubtfire). Why do i say its not an outright copy? Its obvious when you see the two films. The characterizations, the screenplay, the weightage are very much different

panninA mattum, neenga apdiyE appreciate panni, thalaila thUkki vechu aada pORingaLA? vikram/surya/maddy nallA nadichA udanE they are still miles behind KH-nu solradhu. Yes they are, but their performances in some movies, match KH's in some of his movies (good ones that is). Idha neenga accept panna pORathilla, no one can better KH is what you guys have in your mind. You guys are doing the same thing, what shivaji fans are doing: No one can better shivaji :)

East is east and west is west and the twain shall never meet. Kamal is better anyday :) To each his own

thinkfloyd
22nd January 2007, 10:36 PM
Tamizh,
Seringanna, neenga solliteenga illa :)

thamiz
22nd January 2007, 10:37 PM
Avvai Shanmugi is heavily inspired from Mrs.Doubtfire no doubt(!). It also borrows a few scenes from Dustin Hoffman starrer Tootsie.

I read somewhere, if you copy one book then you will be called as a plagiariser, but if you "copy or inspire" 5 books and blend them together, then you can defend yourself as a "researcher"! :lol:

thamiz
22nd January 2007, 10:38 PM
Tamizh,
Seringanna, neenga solliteenga illa :)

:notworthy:

thinkfloyd
22nd January 2007, 10:39 PM
Idha neenga accept panna pORathilla, no one can better KH is what you guys have in your mind.
Beg to diagree. I (i'll speak for myself here, don't know about the others) say no one IS better, not no one CAN better Kamal. Appadi yaaralayum solla mudiyadhu. Time will tell. It is Sivaji's fans who say no one CAN better him. There is a difference. BTW, don't get me wrong, i have my share of criticisms about Kamal :)

ajithfederer
22nd January 2007, 10:40 PM
Can u please tell me some movies where they have matched KH? :roll:

panninA mattum, neenga apdiyE appreciate panni, thalaila thUkki vechu aada pORingaLA? vikram/surya/maddy nallA nadichA udanE they are still miles behind KH-nu solradhu. Yes they are, but their performances in some movies, match KH's in some of his movies (good ones that is).

m_23_bayarea
22nd January 2007, 10:41 PM
Avvai Shanmugi is heavily inspired from Mrs.Doubtfire no doubt(!). It also borrows a few scenes from Dustin Hoffman starrer Tootsie.

I read somewhere, if you copy one book then you will be called as a plagiariser, but if you "copy or inspire" 5 books and blend them together, then you can defend yourself as a "researcher"! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys, I seriously think this thread should be closed for the betterment of legends and their legacy! :cry: :oops: :cry:

m_23_bayarea
22nd January 2007, 10:41 PM
Idha neenga accept panna pORathilla, no one can better KH is what you guys have in your mind.
Beg to diagree. I (i'll speak for myself here, don't know about the others) say no one IS better, not no one CAN better Kamal. Appadi yaaralayum solla mudiyadhu. Time will tell. It is Sivaji's fans who say no one CAN better him. There is a difference. BTW, don't get me wrong, i have my share of criticisms about Kamal :)

:thumbsup:

ajithfederer
22nd January 2007, 10:45 PM
Aprom yen naa vuthar vudreeenga :lol2:
ok :D

Can u please tell me some movies where they have matched KH? :roll:

panninA mattum, neenga apdiyE appreciate panni, thalaila thUkki vechu aada pORingaLA? vikram/surya/maddy nallA nadichA udanE they are still miles behind KH-nu solradhu. Yes they are, but their performances in some movies, match KH's in some of his movies (good ones that is).

I discount this question because:
- Its purely subjective
- No KH fan will accept that
- Its not related to the topic
8-)

Floyd: Yes no one is better than KH right now. I should appreciate you for correcting my that statement :thumbsup: Also I HATE KH's inspirations/copies. If he can dish out classics like MN/DM I dont understand why does he have to flick ideas from hollywood :twisted:

thinkfloyd
22nd January 2007, 10:50 PM
Nerd,
mmm...
Like Mano Bala says in that vivek comedy, perhaps Kamal needs to be told "Konjam korachukkunga" :)
In my opinion, "hate" is a strong word :oops:
Atleast, for me i would enjoy his movies more if they were devoid of any inspirations, not because i think he is copying it outright but we wouldn't have a chance of making these accusations :)

bingleguy
22nd January 2007, 11:24 PM
deleted based on the understanding that the quoted was a sarcasm .... :oops:

Ulaganayagan
22nd January 2007, 11:51 PM
Dude, All of that was sarcastic man!

bingleguy
22nd January 2007, 11:52 PM
:roll: i didnt get u !

Ulaganayagan
22nd January 2007, 11:59 PM
:roll: i didnt get u !
All those points that you quoted were said in a sarcastic tone..

Ulaganayagan
23rd January 2007, 02:59 AM
One question (Pls educate me if im wrong)

In a career spanning 35 years and 200+ movies, I see only 3 direct copies..
Avvai Shanmughi
Magalir Mattum
Tenali

And a few remakes like
KP
VRMBBS (I may have missed a few)

Even in these above mentioned flicks, the screen play is mostly original.

There are a few inspirations, Kurosawa, Dustin Hoffman etc, but they are just what you see in a frame or two.
Why is everybody so eager to point out Kamal, when it comes to copy or inspirations :?

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 03:08 AM
Why is everybody so eager to point out Kamal, when it comes to copy or inspirations :?

No offence, but it all depends on why we created this thread in the first place! Lookin at the first post in Page-1, it looks like we all wanted to go after some actor, but it only ended up backfiring us! :oops:

kannannn
23rd January 2007, 03:25 AM
Inspirations are a part of any creator's work. Directors all the time incorporate style and certain nuances that have influenced them, into their movies. So, when a Steven Soderbergh remakes Tarkovsky's Solaris with evident lifts, it is termed influence and inspiration. When Tarantino incorporates characters from Chinese action flicks and Battle Royale in Kill Bill or style from Film Noir or Brian de Palma, it is again inspiration and homage. Martin Scorcese remaking Infernal Affairs doesn't stand in the way of being nominated to major awards and praised by critics. The list can go on and on. The point is inspirations are fine as long as you add your own spin and flavour. Not everyone can create masterpieces just through inspirations. The quality of the final product rests on the genius of the person inspired. Kamal clearly is one.

thamiz
23rd January 2007, 03:29 AM
UN;

There was a thread "Kh's hollywood copies". If you go through that you will realize that his fans fairly defened his inspirations very well.

In fact the thread has become appreciative of his talents of inspiration rather than criticisms.

At least this thread is not "fingered at him". But the other one was worse! They could live with that . I dont see why not now?

thamiz
23rd January 2007, 03:48 AM
Inspirations are a part of any creator's work. .

Well, Kannan, I wish every Kh fans and Kh defend like you! :( If I were him I would do the same by admitting the accusation on inspirations rather than denying it.

There is absolutely no reason to bring shivaji' pudhiya paRavai where HE JUST ACTED. Shivaji hardly ever try to create or inspire anybody.

Please dont ask me, when did Kh deny it? I read some articles by decent hubbers saying that he does not want to accept it or defend it like you do. It is true, kannan, it is hard to create anything without inspiration!

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 03:53 AM
Thamizh, this is how this thread got to this mess I think ...

1. Thimiru started this thread and pointed out at Vijay for POKIRI's success!

2. VJ fans got back at Thimiru by pulling Kamal ...

3. Groucho said something that Kamal fans could not completely agree with ...

4. Thimiru goes after SIVAJI just cos he's a Sivaji fan ..

5. Now everybody is goin after everybody else in the name of Inspiration or Copy!

:banghead:

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 03:53 AM
Thamizh, this is how this thread got to this mess I think ...

1. Thimiru started this thread and pointed out at Vijay for POKIRI's success!

2. VJ fans got back at Thimiru by pulling Kamal ...

3. Groucho said something that Kamal fans could not completely agree with ...

4. Thimiru goes after Groucho just cos he's a Sivaji fan ..

5. Now everybody is goin after everybody else in the name of Inspiration or Copy!

:banghead:

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 03:59 AM
You got it right except that this was not a thread CREATED by thimuru. The mods cut off the digressions in some other thread and made a new thread!

Oh I dint know that! My BAD then ... :oops:

Erica
23rd January 2007, 04:01 AM
Ada Rama :shock: enna nadakkudhu indha thread'la? :roll:

Ulaganayagan
23rd January 2007, 04:02 AM

No offence, but it all depends on why we created this thread in the first place! Lookin at the first post in Page-1, it looks like we all wanted to go after some actor, but it only ended up backfiring us! :oops:
I assume that the thread was created by NOV, not a Kamal fan.

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 04:03 AM

I assume that the thread was created by NOV, not a Kamal fan.

Yeah, Nerd just pointed out! My apologies... :cry:

thamiz
23rd January 2007, 04:05 AM

Erica: This thread is certainly not a fun-zone for kids! :D

Erica
23rd January 2007, 04:05 AM
Erica, Thanks a lot for the wonderful explanation! It all makes sense ... :P

But I still feel if we put down the ratio remake:original, it might be like 1:10 or something like that! So that will not mean that Tamil cinema will go down ... And yeah, ppl who remake movies probably dont care much abt the ART of cinema, but rather give HIT movies for Business reasons and their personal benefit only, or maybe to keep the fans and audience intact as well! :D

And say for example, a movie that has a concept that is totally out of the box for the Tamil audience ... And if some director/actor tries to remake it ... Maybe that will become a trendsetter and make ppl think a little outside their world ... That could mean, quality of Tamil cinema could also improve by remakes right? :wink: :oops:

interesting points Bay :) .........fine. i agree the number of remakes is less so far. ...as you said movie industry is a huge business nowadays and collection is more important than quality. for example, when Thulluvadho Ilamai made good business :oops: ...i know there were atleast 10 movies released in the same style :lol: ...indha maadhiri inspirations dhaan namma makkalukku romba easy'a varum :wink: .........b'cos everybody wants to make money and ofcourse they can't be blamed :wink: similarly, when a remake becomes hit, that trend would continue :roll: .....easy way of money making at the cost of other's success.

I'm not saying we should not go for remakes at all. If the story is so different then, it's fine....i'm just saying it needs to be seriously modified to suit tamil audience..atleast season it with some tamil flavors. I don't see any changes but a scene by scene copy in remakes these days.

Your last point is very true as long as long as the ratio 1:10 doesn't become 10:1 :lol:

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 04:07 AM
Erica! :thumbsup:

Ulaganayagan
23rd January 2007, 04:10 AM
UN, I think you have missed nAyakan/Dm which were loosely based on the godfather and virumaaNdi (rashomon/life of david gayle). The thing is out of the 200+ movies most of *his* movies(screenplay etc..,) are inspired by someone else's. Thats the problem :)
Nayagan-Yes
DM - inspired maybe but seriously a stretch

Coming to HIS movies

Biwi No.1 / Avvai Shanmughi : Copied story / original screenplay

Devar Magan : Original Story & Screenplay (GF is a stretch IMO)

Virumaandi : original story & Original Screenplay (story telling was inspired)

Hey Ram : Original story & screenplay

So thats 1/4. ??

Scripted :

Aalavandhan, Anbe Sivam (not PT&A pls), MX, Nala Damayanthi (heard that is inspired) Mahanadhi.
Except NM all are original scripts if im not wrong.

Erica
23rd January 2007, 04:10 AM
Erica: This thread is certainly not a fun-zone for kids! :D
:lol: i know :D

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 04:12 AM
Guys, I seriously feel there is nothing wrong in INSPIRING or REMAKING movies from other languages! From reading all these posts, I donno why ppl think it's so insulting to get inspired or remake movies, to go to this extent of defending their own stars .... :o

If I were a big star, I would prolly remake not just from Telugu, but be innovative and look at Kannada, Malayalam, Hindi, and English! :boo:

Sanguine Sridhar
23rd January 2007, 04:16 AM
I dont think that a movie will do good business or become a hit just because it is a reamke or inspired! copy pannuradha irrundhaalum ozhungga pannanum...namma Deva pola! :lol2:

thamiz
23rd January 2007, 04:16 AM
bay: Yeah, only if you were a director! :lol:

kannannn
23rd January 2007, 04:24 AM
UN, I think you have missed nAyakan/Dm which were loosely based on the godfather and virumaaNdi (rashomon/life of david gayle). The thing is out of the 200+ movies most of *his* movies(screenplay etc..,) are inspired by someone else's. Thats the problem :)
Nayagan-Yes
DM - inspired maybe but seriously a stretch

Coming to HIS movies

Biwi No.1 / Avvai Shanmughi : Copied story / original screenplay

Devar Magan : Original Story & Screenplay (GF is a stretch IMO)

Virumaandi : original story & Original Screenplay (story telling was inspired)

Hey Ram : Original story & screenplay

So thats 1/4. ??

Going beyond the theme of the stories, I don't know if anyone has noticed, the scene in MMKR where Nasser's men hand over money to Michael's agent (incidentally his name is Shivaji) to kill Madhan. As one of them explains the plan to Shivaji, the other repeats it:
"Vella colour car.."
"Aama vella colour.."
"Koodave oru thadiyan irupan.."
"iruppan.."
"kaariyatha kachidhama mudi.."
"kachidhama mudi.."
and so on.. The scene is very much reminiscent of Godfather, where one of Al Pacino's men in Italy describes the girl they have just seen to her father and the other repeats it:
"in a pink dress.."
"pink dress.."
"with a red ribbon.."
"red ribbon.."
and so on..
A case of genuine inspiration. Who would have even thought that such a scene from Godfather could be fit into a full scale comedy movie like MMKR? I don't see anything wrong in that. That's Kamal :).

thamiz
23rd January 2007, 04:26 AM
Kannan:

Here is where my problem comes,

Is Kh credited for the story and dialogue in MMKR?

Please answer this question!

kannannn
23rd January 2007, 04:28 AM
That's interesting Thamiz! Because the credits clearly say: மூலக் கதை: கதா காஷ்மீர். Clearly he didn't have a problem with disclosing the source.

thamiz
23rd January 2007, 04:38 AM
See, I could not read thamiz script. But I beleive you are showing that KH is indeed given credit for that. Thank you!

I asked because, Kh is given the sole credit by his fans here in any movie in which he acted no matter who was indeed given credit in the title of the movie.

That is again UNFAIR. This problem is UNIQUE for Kh!

Sanguine Sridhar
23rd January 2007, 04:48 AM
Thamizh : Kannan mentioned "Moola Kadhai: Kadha Kashmir" .. but dont ask me whoz that! :lol:

thamiz
23rd January 2007, 04:52 AM
I dont have any idea sridhar!

Thanks for "opening my eyes" by giving the translation in "thinglish", sridhar! :lol:

NOV
23rd January 2007, 05:53 AM
I assume that the thread was created by NOV, not a Kamal fan.you assume wrong.
on both counts. :roll:

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 05:54 AM
bay: Yeah, only if you were a director! :lol:

:cry: That was very kind Tamizh! :lol:

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 06:44 AM
Inspirations are a part of any creator's work. Directors all the time incorporate style and certain nuances that have influenced them, into their movies. So, when a Steven Soderbergh remakes Tarkovsky's Solaris with evident lifts, it is termed influence and inspiration. When Tarantino incorporates characters from Chinese action flicks and Battle Royale in Kill Bill or style from Film Noir or Brian de Palma, it is again inspiration and homage. Martin Scorcese remaking Infernal Affairs doesn't stand in the way of being nominated to major awards and praised by critics. The list can go on and on. The point is inspirations are fine as long as you add your own spin and flavour. Not everyone can create masterpieces just through inspirations. The quality of the final product rests on the genius of the person inspired. Kamal clearly is one.

Superb Post! :thumbsup:
Ford inspires Kurosawa, Godard inspires Tarantino [his company name itself is inspired], Sergio Leone etc etc...

joe
23rd January 2007, 06:49 AM
The point is inspirations are fine as long as you add your own spin and flavour. Not everyone can create masterpieces just through inspirations. The quality of the final product rests on the genius of the person inspired. Kamal clearly is one.

:thumbsup:

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 06:49 AM
Kannan:

Here is where my problem comes,

Is Kh credited for the story and dialogue in MMKR?

Please answer this question!
So who do you expect to credited/ Mario Puzo?? :lol:

Ulaganayagan
23rd January 2007, 06:55 AM
I assume that the thread was created by NOV, not a Kamal fan.you assume wrong.
on both counts. :roll:

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 06:57 AM
Why is this thread still open when its abundantly clear that there is another thread already existing for this?
Moderators, are duplicate threads allowed in the forum?

joe
23rd January 2007, 06:59 AM
Why is this thread still open when its abundantly clear that there is another thread already existing for this?

Which one you are refering to? Pls let me know :)

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 07:17 AM

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3080

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5718

Onnukku rendave irukku..

Nyayama paatha idhellam mods pannanum (checking if threads are redundant etc) :)

joe
23rd January 2007, 07:28 AM

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3080

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5718

Onnukku rendave irukku..

Nyayama paatha idhellam mods pannanum (checking if threads are redundant etc) :)

One is refering only kamal,it is locked
Another one is in Indian films sections ,talking about copies from Hollywood.

I don't find it is duplicating..Anyway,Thanks for the info and advice. :)

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 07:32 AM
Oh, i didn't know that :)
If it is locked for some reason, whatever it is, how come the moderator opens a new thread for the same? Appadinna idhayum lock pannanume? Idikkidhe ....

So, Indian section doesn't count eh? Fine.

OK, pl continue the tirade against Kamal . Kamal-bashing thodarattum :notworthy:

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 07:40 AM
Guys, why is this thread all abt bashing Kamal, Sivaji, Vijay, etc ... Is this what it was meant originally? Can we just talk abt the goodness of Inspiration and Remaking? Maybe we can give examples of how it actually helped Tamil cinema, rather than how it brought the quality down! We all have no problems with Business and Technology goin from the West to India ... But we only seem to think it's derogatory for movies to go in the same direction .. Have no idea why it's perceived like that ... Maybe we have to just thank ppl that bring newer ideas from the outside, so maybe we can think a little beyond TN!

So let's talk abt Jayam Ravi and his service to Tamil cinema by his staunch love for remakes for a change ...

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 07:51 AM
M23_bay_area,
Noticed your signature. "Going to California" by Led Zeppelin might help :)

Sorry for the digression :oops:

m_23_bayarea
23rd January 2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks Floyd! :D

Guys, for a change, let's talk abt movies that went FROM Tamil TO other languages! I'm sure the list will be never ending ....

joe
23rd January 2007, 08:30 AM
Oh, i didn't know that :)
If it is locked for some reason, whatever it is, how come the moderator opens a new thread for the same? Appadinna idhayum lock pannanume? Idikkidhe ....

First of all ,this thread is not started by any MOD.I hope you understand that thread talks about copies of kamalhassan exclusively and it is locked since enough discussions done,but this one is talking in general ,if someone make it again kamal exclusive ,it is not MOD's fault.

So, Indian section doesn't count eh? Fine.

Indian section thread talking about all indian movies copied from Hollywood and this thread talking about only Tamil movies

OK, pl continue the tirade against Kamal . Kamal-bashing thodarattum :notworthy:

If you are informing me personally ,it is really funny .Most of the hubbers know how hard core kamal fan I am. :)

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 08:51 AM
Joe,
That line was not addressed to you in particular.

About this thread creation, i understand that it was spawned off by NOV after thimiru and others discussed about Pokkiri remake and according to NOV, Vijay fans responded by talking about Kamal's "copies". He even went on to say that VV was a scene by scene copy! Well, it doesn't seem like NOV intended this to be a 'general' discussion. The intention seems to be something else.
You say, the other thread i had mentioned was locked because everything had been discussed. Then i don't understand why the same things are being discussed here also. Not the moderators fault, but the reason that was applied for locking that thread exists even for this thread, right? Any digression will be spawned off as a new thread by the mod? If not, why this thread alone?

Disclaimer: I don't find anything wrong in Vijay doing a remake of Pokkiri.

NOV
23rd January 2007, 09:04 AM
Ok, enough of digressions in this digressed thread. :evil:
Carry on in PM if you wish.

Others, please continue from where bay_area left off.

joe
23rd January 2007, 09:04 AM
Not the moderators fault, but the reason that was applied for locking that thread exists even for this thread, right?

Since there is no arithmatic calculation available to decide enough discussed ,MODs will give enough time to hubbers discontinue digression and stick to topic and when they feel it is going beyond that level or repeating again again the same discuused,MODs will lock .That may happen to this thread also.

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 09:06 AM
Fair enough, Joe and NOV :) :notworthy:

NOV
23rd January 2007, 09:09 AM
.... He even went on to say that VV was a scene by scene copy! .....:shock:
when did I say this?
how could anyone blatantly make up stories like this? :evil:

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 09:14 AM
when did I say this?

NOV
23rd January 2007, 09:25 AM
ahaaaa!

with the powers vested in me, I hereby appoint thinkfloyd as a political writer for all politicians of the world. :poke:

thinkfloyd
23rd January 2007, 09:30 AM
:)

bingleguy
23rd January 2007, 09:40 AM
Comedy Thread :rotfl:

selvakumar
23rd January 2007, 11:25 AM
Kannan,
Wonderful point. I want to add few more to this one with an example. What about directors getting influenced by real life characters? For e.g., Kaadhal ! Ofcourse, in that movie the *anonymous* guy was credited through *words* and the team earned profits by stealing the emotions and feelings of a normal guy. I don't know whether our novel writers, story writers etc have no inspirations/copies from their real life characters?

Recently, the film "VeyyiL" was appreciated by many and I also accepted that as the best film of the year 2006 ! But the info that I got from my town was a surprising one. Veyyil story is partly inspired from the life of one of the notorious criminal / do gooder etc who lived in the heart of Virudhai town. His name "VeyyiLaa<<edited>>". He used to do "Katta Panchaayathu", "Murder" etc there. Some of our friends told that the story the name "Veyyil" signifies the same. But the director said that he named the film based on the climate in the town. One of the characters in the film grows white Pigs. That was one of the jobs of the same guy I am referring to..

Idukku enga poi muttikida... :lol: IF we analyse a lot, we will get lot of such inspirations / copies from old movies.

Original Tamil padamnu sonna sila ARASAR kaalathu padangala venaa sollalaamm !! mathapadi ! I don't agree with these things.

Pity that we concentrate heavily on HOLLYWOOD and poor Kamal alone by leaving our own copy works :lol:

Raikkonen
23rd January 2007, 12:20 PM
A copy is a copy no matter what you call it..

thimuru
23rd January 2007, 02:20 PM
when did I say this?

oohoooooo ohhhhhhhhhhhooooooo...ore sirippu!

NOV semmaya comedy pandraru

thimuru
23rd January 2007, 02:21 PM
I go with kannanns post.

:clap:

groucho070
24th January 2007, 10:06 AM
Boy, two days out of action and a lot happened in this thread. Thank god the Sivaji/Kamal argument died down and we are back to the topic.

My argument is only this: credit.

It doesn't matter who, my beloved and the greatest NT or the wonderful Kamal, or the brilliant KB or the groundbreaking Manirathnam. No matter who. Please credit. Because it breaks the hearts of fans like me when I see things that can be construed as copy, rather than inspiration.

The MMKR scene mentioned that was taken from Godfather is pure 'inspiration'. Scorcese and Tarantino are good in this. They take it from masters before them and incorporate it in an entirely difference scenario. Another wonderful filmaker is Woody Allen. How much he had taken from past masters like Bergman and Felini and incorporated them into his own quirky, funny films.

These are inspirations, my friends. Why do I say that? Because none of them got their a** sued.

Now, let us talk about some scenes in Nayagan, for instance. Like the smuggling scene. That is taken directly from Leone's film which happened to be a story about a gangster. And yes, the kicking of windscreen. That film also happened to be about a gangster. What do you call that? The difference is, Manirathnam was not sued. If so, can we call it inspiration?

I call those plain copying. How about characters? We have a Vito Corleone type, who leaves his hometown after his family is killed and he is hunted, a Luca Brassi and of course, the son, who gets killed. The original part of the movie is the father/daughter relationship which actually is the best part, as it goes back to the roots of Tamil film - paternal/maternal bond (otherwise 'family sentiment' in our language).

I am okay with all that, except Tamil film fans who are not familiar with Puzo's work or Coppola should know some of the origin. The credit should read, "based on a novel by..."

Some guys here mentioned Infernal Affairs and Solaris (excellent movie, go watch it and find out how good Clooney is) and it's inspiration. The truth is, the credit is given to the original and the creative owners have been paid sh*tload of money.

Now, why does Kamal get targetted all the time? Because we see him as a genius. We don't use the word genius easily on other artist. I personaly use this adjective on very few people, namely NT, KB, and Kamal.

But it breaks my heart when I note that some good scenes, or sequences, are taken from elsewhere, thereby degrading slightly the brilliance of their work.

Equally distrubing about stealing/copying sequences is the plot.

Take this:

"A dirvorced father, in an attempt to be close to his daughter, with whom he is not granted custody, disguises himself as a elderly maid."

How often do we see this plot in the past. Give this to Hollywood fans and they will recognise what movie it is. Those who don't know applaud for its brilliant story. Thank god, Kamal's strong performance overcame my little disappointment that he didn't credit the original in the movie itself.

Or
"A mentally disturbed patient stalks his psyciatrist, even when the latter is on holiday, thereby creating riots of laughter"

Sounds familiar? Ever heard of Bill Murray? Again, Kamal's brilliant performance put my grudges aside. He should have, though, credited the original, because it is the plot we are talking about, not few sequences.

So, fellow Kamal fans, I hope you are not upset with my writing. As you may know, I am a big fan myself. Grew up with his films (born in '73, which means I'm a longer fan than some of you). But I appreciate originality, and I hope that in future, if Kamal wants to adapt a plot from Hollywood, he would credit the film. This will encourage his fans to appreciate the original as well as appreciate the way he had brilliantly adapted it. This will further encourage to explore more international films and make them to be more demanding. A bunch of more demanding fans mean a more hardworking Kamal.

Wouldn't we want that?

Here's another word we didn't use earlier, "adapted".

rocketboy
24th January 2007, 11:40 PM
This alone seperates a real genius like Cheran from the rest of the cluster. 8-)

Ulaganayagan
25th January 2007, 02:22 AM
Copying a story/plot from a hollywood movie and remaking it in India is something people get away with quite easily.
But actually crediting another movie without seeking proper permission increases your risk of potential copyright infringement issues. Its like admitting you copied without paying for it..

buddysathi
25th January 2007, 07:28 AM
Pandiarajan meethu Tom Cruise case potta yaaruku asingam athigam?? Tom Cruise-ku thaan! antha thembula thaan namma ooru aaluga kanna pinnanu copy adikkiraanga!

rocketboy
25th January 2007, 08:31 PM
Yes. He is original but not good enough :lol:

When you make such sweeping statements it is a recommended practice to put them within two IMHO tags .

eg: <IMHO> I am nerdy boy </IMHO>

Saamy
25th January 2007, 09:24 PM
Its true that Kamal copies from hollywood comedies.

But his serious movies are inspired not copied.

thamiz
25th January 2007, 10:41 PM
My argument is only this: credit.

Or
"A mentally disturbed patient stalks his psyciatrist, even when the latter is on holiday, thereby creating riots of laughter"

Sounds familiar? Ever heard of Bill Murray? Again, Kamal's brilliant performance put my grudges aside. He should have, though, credited the original, because it is the plot we are talking about, not few sequences.

Here is the interesting part!

If you look at the credits given as per the title in the

MOVIE Thenaali- it is certainly extracted from What about Bob?

Dialogues: Crazy Mohan

Screenplay and Direction: K S. RavikumAr.

That is official and KH is INNOCENT as far as the offical credits are given in the movie titles! :lol:

NOW, your question of accsuing Kh not giving credit the original plot- for whoever wrote "What about Bob?" -should indeed be addressed to the one who took the credit for it sand they are KS R and C Mohan. 8-)

But, according to Kh fans, KH deserves ALL THE credits and Kh ONLY- obviously it doe snot matter what the title says or what is official to a Kh fan. :lol:

They are trying to defend, this kind of "unethical problems" because they think "THE CREATOR" Kh is everything unofficially. :lol:

For some reason the whole story sounds funny to me.

Kh or Kh fans should not worry about it at all and they can just blame it on KSR and Crazy Mohan whao are OFFICIALLY guilty of the charges you are "accusing". But, Kh or Kh fans would never do that! That is the hilarious part! :lol: :

Ulaganayagan
25th January 2007, 11:44 PM
Did you speak to KH ? .. How come your so sure that he even bothers about these claims of copies/inspirations

thamiz
25th January 2007, 11:46 PM
May be I did! :roll:

Ulaganayagan
25th January 2007, 11:50 PM
May be I did! :roll:
:lol:

groucho070
26th January 2007, 09:29 AM
Here is the interesting part!

If you look at the credits given as per the title in the

MOVIE Thenaali- it is certainly extracted from What about Bob?

Dialogues: Crazy Mohan

Screenplay and Direction: K S. RavikumAr.

That is official and KH is INNOCENT as far as the offical credits are given in the movie titles! :lol:

NOW, your question of accsuing Kh not giving credit the original plot- for whoever wrote "What about Bob?" -should indeed be addressed to the one who took the credit for it sand they are KS R and C Mohan. 8-)

But, according to Kh fans, KH deserves ALL THE credits and Kh ONLY- obviously it doe snot matter what the title says or what is official to a Kh fan. :lol:

They are trying to defend, this kind of "unethical problems" because they think "THE CREATOR" Kh is everything unofficially. :lol:

For some reason the whole story sounds funny to me.

Kh or Kh fans should not worry about it at all and they can just blame it on KSR and Crazy Mohan whao are OFFICIALLY guilty of the charges you are "accusing". But, Kh or Kh fans would never do that! That is the hilarious part! :lol: :

Okay, I agree Kamal is not guilty.

You forget, I am one of "They", the fans you mention. I believe that Kamal takes part in most of his films post 90s, including story direction. If I were to meet him, and talk to him, and if he was to listen, I'd certainly tell him that. I'd tell him that Tamil films are reaching all over the globe, and it'd won't be nice if a non-Tamilian friend of mine is watching this film and says, "Hey, I know this story. It's, it's...", by which time I may have to slit his throat to silence him and protect my favourite actor's name.

Kamal has to take responsibility, because it is marketed as "Kamal's" film and the film is known internationally because of him.

Let's say KSR calls him and tells him that he has this story, and Kamal had never seen or heard of What about Bob? Then, it's okay. He is 'conscience'-wise. If he had seen, he should know that it is the same story, and if anyone were to get caught, it'd be KSR. Kamal would go scot-free. If I were Kamal, I'd worry for my friend. But I am not Kamal, eh?

I'd like to be a good fan. A good fan does not simply accept anything that is thrown at him. I want to talk and brag about him and his movies to my non-Tamilian fans, and if they were to recognise sequences and the plots taken elsewhere, maaaan, it'd be bad for our name.

Guess I am alone in this concern...

joe
26th January 2007, 09:34 AM

No,I(another kamal fan) am here. :)

Saamy
26th January 2007, 11:13 AM

No,I(another kamal fan) am here. :) me too

Ulaganayagan
26th January 2007, 05:47 PM
I guess we have to realize that our movies are not made for an international audience (atleast not all of them). So i really dont see why Kamal or any other creator shouldnt take an interesting script from another industry and use it here (Provided it doesnt become a habit).. The only thing that I would expect is that the resulting movie should not be a faithful/utter copy, but should have its own touches that set it apart from the original.

thamiz
26th January 2007, 10:15 PM
Let's say KSR calls him and tells him that he has this story, and Kamal had never seen or heard of What about Bob? Then, it's okay. He is 'conscience'-wise. If he had seen, he should know that it is the same story, and if anyone were to get caught, it'd be KSR. Kamal would go scot-free. If I were Kamal, I'd worry for my friend. But I am not Kamal, eh? .

Morals are different for different individuals. Some serious issues are jokes to some others!

Besides that I dont hink thEnappan can afford to legally buy the rights of a Hollywood movie. So they just have to "pacify" in order to cover them legally.

Nevertheless, there is absolutely nothing wrong in making a statement that it is an insipiration from what about bob?

It is certainly one's ignorance if they are not ready accept that when someone asked them. Certainly denying that fact is foolishness!

Ulaganayagan
26th January 2007, 10:57 PM
The only thing that I would expect is that the resulting movie should not be a faithful/utter copy, but should have its own touches that set it apart from the original.

That will happen all the time. Lets say they copy a script from hollywood. They cant copy it scene by scene for obvious reasons. It wont suit the tamil audience, anyway. So copying the script itself is unforgivable :evil:
Copying a script is obviously plagiarism, No question about that. But if the resulting flick improvises on the original and gives something new to the local audience, Why not ? (Again, provided that they dont make it a habit)

kb
26th January 2007, 11:01 PM
like ghilli :roll:

kb
26th January 2007, 11:05 PM
point nerd.. hollywood la irrundhu rights vaanganamna budget paththaathu :?

Ulaganayagan
26th January 2007, 11:06 PM
I think vijay *buys* the rights of a movie and remakes it, which is absolutely unquestionable 8-)
:lol: I see where your getting at... But I cant argue here, cuz all said and done, It IS unethical, period.

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:12 PM
Incidentally Ayudha Ezhuthu is lifted from Ameros Peros

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:13 PM
Y. But ARR came up with an excellent number.
Copied nevertheless

Ulaganayagan
26th January 2007, 11:15 PM
Of course and without buying the rights..Desi ishtyle

Amarshiva
26th January 2007, 11:18 PM
like ghilli :roll:

if that is the case the entire team of CM once said it was not a remake of the original malayalam movie Manichittirathaaz...But in reality it is utter copy of it..

So, what we would term the morale of the CM team. .

Good inspiration is always good. So that, the theme/motto is not only kept in hollywood,asia or a particular geographical zone. If it is good, it should reach the entire globe.

I could quote some good inspirations:

1.The opening scene of commando is the opening of Captain Prabhakaran.
2. Jackie chan -operation condor port fight scene- in one arjun's movie.
3. Godfather - Nayagan
4.Cliffhanger main story theme- Thiruda Thiruda
5. Predator-Asuran It goes..
6. Mrs doubtfire- Avvaishanmugi..

How many b,c ppl would have watched those english movies. But they really enjoyed,when they see the similar in thier local dialect. Good inspiration/copying is good, if the society really enjoys it.

It's my comment. I am Kh fan for sure. I could still qoute a lot from other movies too...

P_R
26th January 2007, 11:25 PM
Yes we can't afford to buy scripts from hollywood. Then why flick their scripts ?? We don't lack good scripts here, I think.

Mani Ratnam in an interview told that he initially thought of buying a backstreet boys track to make that as maddy's intro song in AP. But ARR came up with an excellent number. We do have talent here and I dont see a point why should you steal from hollywood :huh:

Last year I was a film screening where Balu Mahendra (who is heavily into remakes) was asked this question. He said : " I like Raja Ravi Varma. I can't afford to buy originals. So I bought a beautiful imitation last week in a shop near my house. Similarly when I see a good film, I want to make it".

A nice answer but an excuse nevertheless. Lifting storylines, plot points is perfectly fine. If you are going to lift entire sequences (which again is not bad) you better give people credit.

For instance in TenAli climax Kamal's costume (with the bomb tied to the tree etc) matched Bill Murray's !! That showed sheer laziness.
That it was a KSR movie only means Kamal wanted to let his hair down and not work so hard (writing) as he would have when he wrote ThEvar Magan.

(btw wasn't there an exisiting thread about Kamal's Hollywood copies ? Old folks like ramsri had some nice posts there.)

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:25 PM
Just a question (thinking aloud)
What about the compositions of Purandaradasa and the Trinity?
Almost all S.Indian based melody songs follow some raaga. Some non-melody songs also. Does it mean our music directors have no creativity? How we judge these is purely by the output - as Kannannn very rightly pointed out. Are the improvisations good enough? Is there quality? We don't question ethics here. That is the reason we consider "Kaadhal Kasakkudhayya", "Paartha Vizhi" and Veetukku Veetukku (Mozart's 25th) brilliant. And that is why we dismiss "Chennai Sendhamizh" though we can equate the latter with the former.

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:27 PM
Just the idea I would say. An accident that connects three different stories.

You say this when it suits you :)

Its as good as saying that VM was lifted from life of david gayle/ rashomon :P
No way :)

P.S: I remember seeing in the Rashomon DVD that the non-linear narrative itself was seen before Rashomon. I think in a French film. Don't remember it in detail.

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:29 PM
(btw wasn't there an exisiting thread about Kamal's Hollywood copies ? Old folks like ramsri had some nice posts there.)
Prabhu,
Its been locked because "enough has been discussed on the topic" but this thread has been opened for exactly the same reason :)

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:34 PM
Tear the mask of a Kamal fan and watch(again) those five movies (AE, AP, VM, LDG, R) and tell me :twisted:

I have no mask to tear. You people in the hub please remove your Kamal-hater prisms :)

Saamy
26th January 2007, 11:41 PM
Kamal's many movies are inspired. Nothing wrong in being inspired by hollywood movies.

Only Two of kamal's movies were copied. Avvai shanmugi and tenali.
Naayagan was a partly-copied script.

any other copies? :huh:

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:45 PM
And if you had been following closely, thimuru a KH fan was trying to ridicule pOkkiri (Which apparently is a legal copy of a telugu film).

Here is the problem. Of course Pokkiri is a legal remake, as were Sathya, Kurudhippunal.
The point is, the point which makes a film an inspired one is when you add some uniqueness, improvisations and quality - by way of settings, characters/characterizations, sub-plots etc. The output dictates everything, not our preconceived notions on inspirations. What about Bob and 9 to 5 (haven't watched) are the closest to being called "copies". Others are inspirations.

You seem to follow two stands - If Kamal is inspired, it is wrong. Unconditional. If Mani or Rahman do the same, you add clauses to it.

And there are discussions on other copies/inspirations as well :huh:
Like?

Saamy
26th January 2007, 11:50 PM
Kamal's many movies are inspired. Nothing wrong in being inspired by hollywood movies.

any other copies? :huh: also magalir mattum was copied .

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:50 PM
if that is the case the entire team of CM once said it was not a remake of the original malayalam movie Manichittirathaaz...But in reality it is utter copy of it..

Good point

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:52 PM

any other copies? :huh: also magalir mattum was copied .

Saamy,
What some friends here are saying is that there is no distinction between inspiration and copy.

great
26th January 2007, 11:56 PM
2. Jackie chan -operation condor port fight scene- in one arjun's movie..

Its Karna even the camera angle were same.

:oops: edited now

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:57 PM
2. Jackie chan -operation condor port fight scene- in one arjun's movie..

Its Karnan even the camera angle were same.
Great,
Its KarnA!
Change it, lest we witness big time bloodshed here :)

great
26th January 2007, 11:57 PM

Good point

athuku thaan fazilku fine kattinaangalae :lol:

thinkfloyd
26th January 2007, 11:59 PM
The point is, the point which makes a film an inspired one is when you add some uniqueness, improvisations and quality - by way of settings, characters/characterizations, sub-plots etc. The output dictates everything, not our preconceived notions on inspirations.
No one denied that here and comparing KH with Prabhu deva is blasphemy :)

By the way, just noticed too many 'points' in my post :oops: :lol:

MADDY
27th January 2007, 12:33 AM
Y. But ARR came up with an excellent number.
Copied nevertheless

I leave this to maddy ( the hubber) :lol:

yes true nerd......whenever there is mis-statement on ARR, i'll fly in there....... :wink:

Thinkfloyd, u r just posting the way i thought u wud.......dude, was the pallavi copied??? were the charanams copied??? only that loop which was developed by BSB was used......or it can evevn be a commercially available loop in the market.......so calling this song a copy by Rahman is totally unjust and unfair, i should say..... :arrow:

thinkfloyd
27th January 2007, 12:47 AM
dude, was the pallavi copied??? were the charanams copied??? only that loop which was developed by BSB was used......or it can evevn be a commercially available loop in the market.......so calling this song a copy by Rahman is totally unjust and unfair, i should say..... :arrow:

Adhe dhaan, adhe dhaan
Point proved :)

thinkfloyd
27th January 2007, 12:51 AM
Thinkfloyd, u r just posting the way i thought u wud.......
And you're going to be surprised a few times going forward :)

thamiz
27th January 2007, 01:01 AM
Tear the mask of a Kamal fan and watch(again) those five movies (AE, AP, VM, LDG, R) and tell me :twisted:

I have no mask to tear. You people in the hub please remove your Kamal-hater prisms :)

yeah, right! :rotfl:

Ulaganayagan
27th January 2007, 01:38 AM

Just the idea I would say. An accident that connects three different stories.

Its as good as saying that VM was lifted from life of david gayle/ rashomon :P
Uh-uh.. An accident connecting three stories is a plot,AE's plot is borrowed from AP ..But Roshomon-VM connectiion is only the story telling style..
Dunno about LDG though,havent seen it yet..

Ulaganayagan
27th January 2007, 02:03 AM
This is the plot summary of LDG
Dr. David Gale, an advocate of eliminating the death penalty, is falsely accused of rape and murder. Once convicted, he ends up on death row in Texas himself, telling his story to a reporter through a series of flashbacks.

Now talk me.. talk I say :P

Sounds similar :) But I'd rather watch before commenting any further

And I think you have seen all the movies of Innaritu. His trilogy in his own words is a *heart trilogy*. Emotions deep inside your heart. He scans them and makes them as a movie :)
Yeah I've read that.. But did you say this in relation to the AE-AP thingy ?

thimuru
27th January 2007, 09:26 AM
Dr. David Gale, an advocate of eliminating the death penalty, is falsely accused of rape and murder. Once convicted, he ends up on death row in Texas himself, telling his story to a reporter through a series of flashbacks.

And I think you have seen all the movies of Innaritu. His trilogy in his own words is a *heart trilogy*. Emotions deep inside your heart. He scans them and makes them as a movie :)

innocent guy given death penalty for rape and murder...see
this is one good old story and many many films have been taken like this...! :lol:

there is a film called "ooru vittu ooru vandhu" where ramarajans father is wrongly given death penalty for a murder case...so what "life of david gale is from ooru vittu ooru vandhu?" :lol:

shawshank redemption kadai ennavam pinna.. :rotfl:

the story behind that is important..which is very vey original in virumaandi!

thimuru
27th January 2007, 09:29 AM

Good point

nerd...what say?

m_23_bayarea
27th January 2007, 09:53 AM
Nilavu, this is becoming another Rajini vs Kamal thread! Come on, Inspiration and Remakes are both awesome! Whats wrong in that ... :oops: :cry:

NOV
27th January 2007, 10:13 AM
Brewster's Million :arrow: Arunachalam

Karnan (Mahabharatham) :arrow: Dhalapathy

Misery (Stephen King) :arrow: Julie Ganapathy

Rajkumar_mj
31st January 2007, 09:48 PM

innocent guy given death penalty for rape and murder...see
this is one good old story and many many films have been taken like this...! :lol:

there is a film called "ooru vittu ooru vandhu" where ramarajans father is wrongly given death penalty for a murder case...so what "life of david gale is from ooru vittu ooru vandhu?" :lol:

shawshank redemption kadai ennavam pinna.. :rotfl:

the story behind that is important..which is very vey original in virumaandi!

Nerd

You can say what ever for Virumandi. But virumandi far better than AE.And also critically acclaimed by many and got award in Asian Film Festival in South Korea.

Rajkumar_mj
31st January 2007, 09:57 PM
And if you had been following closely, thimuru a KH fan was trying to ridicule pOkkiri (Which apparently is a legal copy of a telugu film).

Here is the problem. Of course Pokkiri is a legal remake, as were Sathya, Kurudhippunal.
The point is, the point which makes a film an inspired one is when you add some uniqueness, improvisations and quality - by way of settings, characters/characterizations, sub-plots etc. The output dictates everything, not our preconceived notions on inspirations. What about Bob and 9 to 5 (haven't watched) are the closest to being called "copies". Others are inspirations.

]You seem to follow two stands - If Kamal is inspired, it is wrong. Unconditional. If Mani or Rahman do the same, you add clauses to it.[/size]

Like?

Think Floyd

Well said . :clap: :clap::clap: :clap:

MADDY
31st January 2007, 10:12 PM
]You seem to follow two stands - If Kamal is inspired, it is wrong. Unconditional. If Mani or Rahman do the same, you add clauses to it.[/size]

Think Floyd

Well said . :clap: :clap::clap: :clap:

i dunno y ARR came here??? :roll: ........

VENKIRAJA
31st January 2007, 10:34 PM
its because his supporters(us)are meagre here.ARR/MR is considered more a toy here for everyone to mock at.bloody BR will be on the other deck.helling riot.

m_23_bayarea
31st January 2007, 10:38 PM
its because his supporters(us)are meagre here.ARR/MR is considered more a toy here for everyone to mock at.bloody BR will be on the other deck.helling riot.

:clap:

Doesnt apply just to MR or ARR ... Happens to a lot of biggies with meagre number of fans... :oops:

thamiz
31st January 2007, 10:43 PM
You can say what ever for Virumandi. But virumandi far better than AE.And also critically acclaimed by many and got award in Asian Film Festival in South Korea.

Well, I am sorry, but found so hard to accept such a personality called "singapUrAn" existing in the southern part of Tamilnadu.

It is a very strange character. :roll:

Perhaps, that is the speciality! :lol:

thinkfloyd
31st January 2007, 10:50 PM
1) Rajkumar,
Summa irundha sanga oodhi kedutha madhiri airuche :)
Indha discussion dhan sumugama mudinjiruche.. andha reply-ku Nerd reply pannitaare...
Idam porul eval, seval....

2)
Ennadhu why bring Mani/ARR here-a??
Avangaa enna aina sabai thalaaivaragala? Illa deiva piravigala?
Please read the thread title and come back, gentlemen.
Also, please read the previous pages thoroughly

3) This topic has gone full circle.

Saamy
31st January 2007, 10:51 PM
he is not a typical singpoooraaan.. he is just like a labour-class guy who went to singapore in search of work..

thamiz
31st January 2007, 10:53 PM
yeah but in that community not many go like that, you know! :roll:

thinkfloyd
31st January 2007, 10:53 PM

Hayyo hayyo

m_23_bayarea
31st January 2007, 10:54 PM
Looks like this thread has rejuvenated again! :P

thamiz
31st January 2007, 10:56 PM

Hayyo hayyo

It is ture, THINK, floyd! :P

thinkfloyd
31st January 2007, 10:57 PM
yeah :)

actually many points were discussed.. agreed to some, disagreed with some.. and that was that.. Now out of the blue everything's started again..

Rajkumar,
Neenga paatukku arambichuttu poiteenga..

thamiz
31st January 2007, 10:57 PM

well, Why do you think I am here, then? :lol:

kb
31st January 2007, 11:00 PM
anybody watched christian slater in mobster. man i see saif ali khan original in him.

his voice modulation,hairstyle.. bodylanguage.. utter copy

thinkfloyd
31st January 2007, 11:02 PM
anybody watched christian slater in mobster. man i see saif ali khan original in him.

his voice modulation,hairstyle.. bodylanguage.. utter copy

Interesting you said that because (nothing to do with the topic) i thought their voices were very similar and sometimes looks too

Saamy
31st January 2007, 11:04 PM
yeah but in that community not many go like that, you know! :roll: why not?? i know some not so well educated guys from that community who had gone to dubai , singapore in search of labour etc... 8-)

thamiz
31st January 2007, 11:14 PM
Hey,

Describe about virumaaNdi (singapUrAn) character, please!

I will tell you what I mean CLEARLY!

Could you do that for me?

Who is virumaaNdi? What kind of character he is?

Saamy
31st January 2007, 11:24 PM
see the movie again properly thamiz madam !!

thamiz
31st January 2007, 11:36 PM
OK :)

Rajkumar_mj
1st February 2007, 03:56 PM
yeah :)

actually many points were discussed.. agreed to some, disagreed with some.. and that was that.. Now out of the blue everything's started again..

Rajkumar,
Neenga paatukku arambichuttu poiteenga..

:exactly:

naan inga 4 rooms paththi post pannalAmnu vanthEn. raththakaLari aayiduchu :oops:

Think Floyd,Nerd

Edho oru vegathula post pannitten. Idam porul eval pakkama and mathavanga reply a padilkama post paniten. :oops:

thimuru
1st February 2007, 05:19 PM

Well, I am sorry, but found so hard to accept such a personality called "singapUrAn" existing in the southern part of Tamilnadu.

It is a very strange character. :roll:

Perhaps, that is the speciality! :lol:

pinna IIM-la MBA mudicha metropolitan city guy-a anga poyi construction workla kallu thookuvan? :rotfl:

singaporela irukaravanlam enna kodeesawarana

nerdy
1st February 2007, 06:13 PM
Kamal's Inspirations are better than Mani's Inspirations.