PDA

View Full Version : Three things South Indian cinema can teach Bollywood

dinesh2002
22nd December 2006, 02:44 PM
[tscii]Three things South Indian cinema can teach Bollywood
By IndiaFM News Bureau, December 21, 2006 - 08:03 IST

Indian cinema is a lot more diverse than audiences outside India might give it credit for. The Indian movies many outsiders have heard of are primarily Hindi language movies (yeah, those supposedly 'musical' ones). Although the industry that produces these movies is based in Bombay (the B in Bollywood), that city's major spoken language is not Hindi. There are several smaller film industries based in cities all over India that make movies in other languages.

The biggest film industries outside Bollywood are in South India, where Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam are spoken. Movies in the first two languages have a much broader base and appeal than movies in the latter two languages. Nevertheless, there is significant cross-pollination of ideas, actors and movie directors among movies in the South Indian languages, which leads to a reasonable degree of thematic overlap.

Bollywood movies, as popular as they are, tend to be centered around only a handful of sociocultural themes (I'll note though that since the release of Dil Chahta Haiin 2001, a greater number of Bollywood movies have tried to introduce new and provocative themes). Add a few predictable elements and you have a formula that satisfies the world's single largest film market. Many aspects of this formula have been emulated in Indian regional cinema to varying levels of success; indeed, regional actors generally gain in respect if they can also pull off a successful Bollywood movie. South Indian language movies come nowhere close to Bollywood movies in the size of their audience or box office collections. Still, they have their own take on some aspects of moviemaking, which I wish more Bollywood movies would use to reinvent themselves.

Irony and humor. Blockbuster Hindi movies these days are generally short on irony or anything more than token attempts at humor. Perhaps the director fears that these elements are but peripheral to the main plot of the movie, or worse, that they might undermine his message. Humor and irony might undermine the message of the movie only if it involves the major characters. South Indian movies, especially those in Tamil, manage to present enough humor and irony without detracting from the main message of the movie. They use characters that have nothing whatsoever to do with the main plot of the movie; they exist solely to provide comic relief and temporary distractions from the movie's plot development. Indeed, actors like Senthil and Goundamani have made entire careers playing such roles. Free of any involvement with the plot, their minor roles often succeed in delivering insightful social commentary while being funny. What's in it for the audience? A temporary respite from a concentrated shot of plot development, a few laughs and a chance to relate as human beings to the events on the screen. Contrast this random, and quite frankly bizarre, approach to humor with that of most Bollywood blockbusters (Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna comes to mind), where any comic relief is provided by major or supporting characters and is constrained somewhat by plot elements. Not all movies must have irony or humor to be successful; however, those irony-free movies that deal solely with plot and character issues without commenting on wider social issues take themselves too seriously in enforcing patriarchy, social hierarchy and notions of propriety. Conveniently enough, this brings me to my second point.

Treatment of human and social issues. Indian cinema has always had somewhat of an escapist streak; it caters to audiences that want to rise above the concerns that constrain them ethically, morally or materially. Starting in the 90s, several movies (especially song sequences) have been shot outside India just to give a taste of foreign lands to the local audience. Influential actors like Shahrukh Khan and Saif Ali Khan have starred in movies that depict unbelievably well-dressed characters living opulent lifestyles inaccessible to the vast majority of the Indian population. Although this escapism provides some distractions from ordinary life in India, which can often be difficult, before long it becomes hard to identify with the troubles of the characters or to see their situation as relevant in any way to the viewer's own condition. South Indian cinema is much more likely to feature relevant human and social issues (the emotional complications of surrogate motherhood, the mysteries of multiple personality disorders, the slow deterioration of someone affected by a terminal disease) in its themes. Most of these movies, notably those from the Malayalam film industry, don't do well at the box office because they are not sufficiently escapist. They receive plenty of critical acclaim as serious cinema because they expand the repertoire of collectivist and widely relevant issues that can be depicted on screen. Contrast this to Bollywood's much narrower idea of pushing the envelope: questioning whether premarital cohabitation or extramarital affairs may be appropriate in some circumstances.

Musical inventiveness. South Indian cinema has seen immensely talented musical directors like A. R. Rahman or Ilayaraja, who have been highly receptive to experimenting with new styles of musical composition. Ilayaraja had a good bit of training in Western classical music, which he used to great effect in his work. A. R. Rahman's inventive genius has earned him a commission for the musical version of the Lord of the Rings. South Indian music directors are also more likely to give new singers a break, judging from all the fresh talent that keeps getting featured in South Indian movies. In fact, singers like Sadhana Sargam have fared much better singing in South Indian movies even though they aren't native to South India. Bollywood music has historically been largely predictable and features standard-issue love songs and dance beats that have been perennial favorites.

Bollywood is an incredibly successful commercial machine without a doubt. Despite the sheer number of movies it produces though, it is still a major event if an Indian movie is a serious contender for international honors in film. More than anything else, this points to a lack of diversity, arising in turn from a lack of maturity. I have no delusions about movies being high art; moneymaking continues to be their primary goal in every major film industry in the world. Still, if Bollywood could occasionally deviate from tried and tested themes and learn a thing or two from the South Indian movie industry, it will surely result in greater variety and wider appeal.

Vishy Venugopalan’s blog can be accessed at http://www.numenorean.net/blog/

If you have an interesting Bollywood blog to share, do email us

http://www.indiafm.com/features/2006/12/21/1970/index.html

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 03:04 PM
another important thing!

dealing the life of low class people!

nowadays bollywood movies deal only with high class youth!

but the platform or low class people are not dealt with

alwarpet_andavan
22nd December 2006, 03:39 PM
Well, we could learn a lot from Bollywood movies too...

If you leave the NRI-appeasing "designer wear" tribe apart, they are ahead of us in many ways:
Their censor board is more consistent and mature than the bunch of moral-policing jokers sitting in the board here. That only helps and encourages the makers. Yeah, they do have their so-called "bold" B-grade flicks but i'm not talking about those....

I can't imagine a film like Maqbool or Omkara being made here.
I haven't seen Hum Tum but Saif Ali Khan was terrific in Omkara.
Do we have the acting talent bench strength here?

kamalsurya
22nd December 2006, 03:43 PM

If you leave the NRI-appeasing "designer wear" tribe apart, they are ahead of us in many ways:
Their censor board is more consistent and mature than the bunch of moral-policing jokers sitting in the board here. That only helps and encourages the makers [yeah, they do have their so-called "bold" B-grade flicks]...

And we can learn alot from the way they caste artist for each role they don't just pick anyone.And the most important thing we can learn from them is dressing sense for each and every characther.Here down south Heros are given clown cothes and clothes not even suiting to the roles/characther they play.U can take a look at Kabhi Kushi Kahbi Gham? All the artist in the movie had great dressing and suited to the role they played in the movie 8-)

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 03:48 PM

Their censor board is more consistent and mature than the bunch of moral-policing jokers sitting in the board here. That only helps and encourages the makers. Yeah, they do have their so-called "bold" B-grade flicks but i'm not talking about those....

i dont know whats the reply for this post would be!

among young heroes i would rate only surya,vikram,jeeva,barath as talented actors!

but whats their position now!..we have always had one acting superstar here!...shivaji or kamal...now ?

this will lead to different path...they made movies just for the acting alent of shivaji and kamal made movies to promote his talent as they both were one of the superstars!...but now??????

in hindi saif,hrithik,abishek all top heroes are decent actors!

in malayalam its completely dry!

two top class senior actors mohan lal and mammooty have no succesors...prithviraj is ok...dileep is ok!..thats it!

andra and karnataka...dont wanna discuss!

alwarpet_andavan
22nd December 2006, 03:49 PM
And the most important thing we can learn from them is dressing sense for each and every characther.Here down south Heros are given clown cothes and clothes not even suiting to the roles/characther they play.U can take a look at Kabhi Kushi Kahbi Gham? All the artist in the movie had great dressing and suited to the role they played in the movie 8-)

I disagree. Rather, one of the main complaints about BW is too much emphasis on style over substance. Designer clothes, foreign locale, rich families, cops always dressed in denim, cops with long/unkempt hair or designer hair-styles - all these are anything but authentic...
I mean, there's nothing wrong in a rich guy/woman dressing like a rich guy/woman but why do certain directors always have those settings? New York/Bangkok/London la edukkalenna makkal padatha pakka mattaingala? illa solla vara kadhaya solla mudiyadha? :) It's to cater to the NRI market which is lucrative... Also, the multiplex culture which is all pervasive in N.I cities...

kamalsurya
22nd December 2006, 04:01 PM
And the most important thing we can learn from them is dressing sense for each and every characther.Here down south Heros are given clown cothes and clothes not even suiting to the roles/characther they play.U can take a look at Kabhi Kushi Kahbi Gham? All the artist in the movie had great dressing and suited to the role they played in the movie 8-)

I disagree. Rather, one of the main complaints about BW is too much emphasis on style over substance. Designer clothes, foreign locale, rich families, cops always dressed in denim, cops with long/unkempt hair or designer hair-styles - all these are anything but authentic...
I mean, there's nothing wrong in a rich guy/woman dressing like a rich guy/woman but why do certain directors always have those settings? New York/Bangkok/London la edukkalenna makkal padatha pakka mattaingala? illa solla vara kadhaya solla mudiyadha? :) It's to cater to the NRI market which is lucrative... Also, the multiplex culture which is all pervasive in N.I cities...

Maybe U are partially correct because when u take a lool at Dhoom 2 the story is rubbish but u watch the movie for it's technical brillance,it's locations.etc.So I do like the idea of style over substance cause even a crap story is made it's style and artist just make the movie so much more classier and u can show to ur non-tamil friends w/o any shame...Now for example i would not dare show most of out south indian movies to my other frens...except movies from maybe Kamal,Surya,Gautham,Mani

sonia_fr
22nd December 2006, 04:08 PM

I haven't seen Maqbool, but ya Omkara was brilliant, specialy Saif. Shakespeare's Othello was seen in a different angle. Even the darkness had a part of poetry. But if there's no such films in tamil it's not becuz of the lack of good actors! I'm sure Ajith ou Vikram can do as well as Saif! But is there any tamil producer who'll dare to produce such films?? NO!

Othello had three Nation Award winning actors Ajay Devgan, Saif & Konkona Sen, plus three popular stars Kareena, Vivek & Bipasha. Can you imagine just 2 leading actors coming together in a tamil movie? NO!

alwarpet_andavan
22nd December 2006, 04:13 PM
Maybe U are partially correct because when u take a lool at Dhoom 2 the story is rubbish but u watch the movie for it's technical brillance,it's locations.etc.

Haven't seen dhoom 2 - the only reason i would see it if at all i get to see it is for Aish and her new "avatar" :)

So I do like the idea of style over substance cause even a crap story is made it's style and artist just make the movie so much more classier and u can show to ur non-tamil friends w/o any shame...Now for example i would not dare show most of out south indian movies to my other frens...except movies from maybe Kamal,Surya,Gautham,Mani
Why do people equate pleasing visuals, locales or avid-edited staccato cuts alone with technical brilliance?
Kaadhal which i consider one of the best thamizh films ever made was brilliant and MUCH better than Anniyan for e.g, technically or otherwise. Let's show/see dirt as dirt. What's the need for eye-pleasing sugar-coating?

Yes, i would be ashamed to show most Thamizh movies to non-Tams but often for different reasons.
However, if you 're talking about Puratchi Kalaignar romancing Isha Kopikar, then i completely agree with you. My tactic then would be "Hey, who's watching this Kannada flick? Change the channel!"

smith
22nd December 2006, 04:16 PM
Omkara was a very poor interpretation of macbeth. There was no strong reason as to why ajay should suspect kareena.
Of course, it had good though not great performances.

Even a film like black lacked real depth. It had more gloss than substance.

sonia_fr
22nd December 2006, 04:22 PM

Are you refering to "Duz"? :lol: Sanjay Dutt live in a palace, it looks like a museum! They change their car in evry single scene! I wonder how much a cop in Mumbai earn / month!

BW often wants to impress with the visual departement! Finaly they end up making nonsense movies!

It's just discusting the way Karan Johar is always flying to NY & London to make his movies! His story line doesn't need that! As if there can't be a love story in India! His movies are realy popular abroad so he's making movies for an international audience. But his movies doesn't reflect the real life of a commun indian!

Aishwarya or Karan Johar aren't realy bringing indian culture to a international lever, they just export themselves! ARR is the only one who brings the soul of India all over the world! :clap:

kamalsurya
22nd December 2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, i would be ashamed to show most Thamizh movies to non-Tams but often for different reasons.
However, if you 're talking about Puratchi Kalaignar romancing Isha Kopikar, then i completely agree with you. My tactic then would be "Hey, who's watching this Kannada flick? Change the channel!"

:lol: Btw Aish was great in her new "Avatar".

bulb_mani
22nd December 2006, 04:43 PM
How was the movie SARKAR :roll:

kamalsurya
22nd December 2006, 04:51 PM
Aishwarya or Karan Johar aren't realy bringing indian culture to a international lever, they just export themselves! ARR is the only one who brings the soul of India all over the world! :clap:

:exactly: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :boo:

He is one of the few Indians in the cinefield i can be very very proud of :wink:

bulb_mani
22nd December 2006, 04:52 PM
Stunt Master Kanal Kannan has been booked for 3 hollywood films :roll:

I have posted that news in cine news section

kamalsurya
22nd December 2006, 04:56 PM
Stunt Master Kanal Kannan has been booked for 3 hollywood films :roll:

I have posted that news in cine news section

That flim shooting is in india and the stunt is for a Indian art? :?: I think i read it somewhere but could not remember

MADDY
22nd December 2006, 06:02 PM
Completely agree with points 1 and 2.....but not point 3......

bollywood is way ahead of us in terms of music......ARRahman,Himesh,Pritam,S-E-L, Vishal, Jatin-Lalit(Fanaa) - this list is much powerful than what we have in tamil.... :oops: .....now, for those who are going to ppoint fingers at pritam for copying - dont throw stones sitting in a glass house.... :lol:

Also, in terms of unique scripts, non-gethu movies, cinematography, choroeography - they are much ahead.....Tamil is ahead only in terms of acting skills....... :cry:

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 09:25 PM
bollywood is way ahead of us in terms of music......ARRahman,Himesh,Pritam,S-E-L, Vishal, Jatin-Lalit(Fanaa) - this list is much powerful than what we have in tamil....

Ada paavingala,, ARR naan tamil MD-nu evola naala nenichitu erunthen ,, ellaiya??

apart from ARR ,,ethai vachi evango ellam "way ahead"?? Evongo paatu 25 states-la ellarum kekkarathaliya? yeppa enakku hindi theriyathu, so naan evanga paatu kettathillai! tamil theriyathavanga YSR,HJ,VS,IR kettiruka chance ellai,, so these MDs become cheaper,, huh??

BW is a " VAATHU KOOTAM" whose loud deafening noise will silence all the quality work spread across India. Applicable not only to cine industry, but many!

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 09:29 PM
Completely agree with points 1 and 2.....but not point 3......

bollywood is way ahead of us in terms of music......ARRahman,Himesh,Pritam,S-E-L, Vishal, Jatin-Lalit(Fanaa) - this list is much powerful than what we have in tamil.... :oops: .....now, for those who are going to ppoint fingers at pritam for copying - dont throw stones sitting in a glass house.... :lol:

Also, in terms of unique scripts, non-gethu movies, cinematography, choroeography - they are much ahead.....Tamil is ahead only in terms of acting skills....... :cry:

ilayaraja and arr are better than anyone i would say!

harris,yuvan are doing decent job!...tamilnadu rock in music

why do u add arr in their list ... :roll: ?

Hulkster
22nd December 2006, 09:31 PM
In bollywood just for music...only three names comes to my mind..ARR,Shankar Ehsaan Loy(like to like for vidyasagar) and now Jatin-Lalit(Vijay Anthony)...the rest are average or repititive :exactly:

villan007
22nd December 2006, 09:32 PM
Shankar Ehsaan Loy(like to like for vidyasagar)

:banghead: and jatin-lalit compared to vijay antony :shock:

Hulkster
22nd December 2006, 09:34 PM
Thats the closest i can find.....although vidyasagar has better melodies....jatin-lalit have good taste for songs as well..and since i cant find any others near to them i took vijay antony...:D

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 09:36 PM

:clap: :clap:

The thing is we dont LACK talents here. We have a bunch of talented youngsters (maddy, surya, bharath etc..,) We just lack good scripts. And the writers should be BOLD with their scripts.

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 09:36 PM
Plz sumone clarify,, Which category ARR belongs to? kollywood or bollywood or hollywood? ethuku thaniya oru thread open pannunga pa!

Hulkster
22nd December 2006, 09:38 PM
i think rite now he is recognised as a all indian MD...nope not hollywood..ARR is yet to do a hollywood movie..just english stage plays or musicals....ARR can be classified on the same lines as IR...indian MD with international reach..but both their roots are at kollywood :D

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 09:39 PM
And musically I would say we are WAY AHEAD of bollywood. We have ARR, YSR, HJ etc.., aint these guys talented ?? And once in a while we get to listen to the genius of IR.

Lets take superhits of bollywood this year:

RDB, Guru -- ARR (Of course the quality of both the albums were unmatchable with any damn tamil album released this year. But ARR scores in both bolly and kolly)

Fanaa -- 1 or 2 songs, nothing earth-shattering

Don, Dhoom 2, Krish - :rotfl:

KANK -- Again 1 or 2 songs 8-)

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 09:41 PM

:clap: :clap:

The thing is we dont LACK talents here. We have a bunch of talented youngsters (maddy, surya, bharath etc..,) We just lack good scripts. And the writers should be BOLD with their scripts.

maady younster?..anyway..hes talented :thumbsup:

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 09:42 PM
And musically I would say we are WAY AHEAD of bollywood. We have ARR, YSR, HJ etc.., aint these guys talented ?? And once in a while we get to listen to the genius of IR.

Lets take superhits of bollywood this year:

RDB, Guru -- ARR (Of course the quality of both the albums were unmatchable with any damn tamil album released this year. But ARR scores in both bolly and kolly)

Fanaa -- 1 or 2 songs, nothing earth-shattering

Don, Dhoom 2, Krish - :rotfl:

KANK -- Again 1 or 2 songs 8-)

EJATLY....even in shankar-ehson-loy....shankar is our man!

dil chahtha hi music rocked!

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 09:42 PM
S.A Rajkumar wud have become a real sensation if he had scored for BW movies with his "lalallalallalala" and "ahahhahahahhaha" songs and bgms!

BW really missed their man! Avanga taste-ku sirpi, SAR thaan correcta eruppango!

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 09:45 PM
S.A Rajkumar wud have become a real sensation if he had scored for BW movies with his "lalallalallalala" and "ahahhahahahhaha" songs and bgms!

BW really missed their man! Avanga taste-ku sirpi, SAR thaan correcta eruppango!

yeah yah...for karan johar movies......laalaaa laalaa...sharuk and kajol will cry in one end!

this side amitabh and jeya baadhuri...again laalaaa...music sooper duper hit!

:wink:

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 09:46 PM
But script/performace-wise Bolly is way ahead of kolly. They make a LOT of meaningful movies than what tf industry makes 8-)

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 09:51 PM
But script/performace-wise Bolly is way ahead of kolly. They make a LOT of meaningful movies than what tf industry makes

Script: They have got universal audiences boss! Enna vena edukkalam, evola vena selavu pannalam!
Tamil movies apart from South India, how many shows r running abroad and in North India?

Performance: " Black"nu oru padam aacha oocha-nu vuttanga! naanum serinu paatha,, namma "Anjali" Baby shamli range alavu kooda ellai! :wink:

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 09:54 PM
Script: Fair point :thumbsup:

Performance: Watch movies like maqbool/omkara/LRMB/RDB/Page3 etc.,

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 09:57 PM
Tamil Performance:watch vikram movies rt from sethu, surya rt from nandha, kamal rt from his birth!

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 09:59 PM
Tamil Performance:watch vikram movies rt from sethu, surya rt from nandha, kamal rt from his birth!

:rotfl: :thumbsup:

surya is much much matured ...he is better than saif in imho...if saif can get for hum tum(right?) ...surya can get national award for pithamagan and perazhakan surely

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 09:59 PM
I think we are talking about contemporary movies. Lets just confine this to 2006. Hindi had OmkArA/RDB/LRMB. What did kolly come up with ?? Apart from pasupathy in veyyil and flashes of ajith's brilliance in varalaaRu there was NOTHING :(

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:00 PM
I think we are talking about contemporary movies. Lets just confine this to 2006. Hindi had OmkArA/RDB/LRMB. What did kolly come up with ?? Apart from pasupathy in veyyil and flashes of ajith's brilliance in varalaaRu there was NOTHING :(

u left out pudhupetai conveniently

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:01 PM
TL: Saif was good in Hum Tum. Not NA worthy for sure and who the heck cares about NA which conviniently ignored shivaji ganesan?? Watch his omkara, brilliant!

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:01 PM
Danush's performance wasnt VERY good. Atleast I wasnt impressed 8-)

rocketboy
22nd December 2006, 10:03 PM
only 'chappa' guys claim Hindi films are better than Tamil films.
I've made it a point not to see Hindi films anymore .

IMO the best films are made in the Malayalam film industry.

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 10:03 PM
I have'nt seen omkara but saw RDB. athula enna performance-nu seriousa enakku therilae! Casual acting thaan,, athu namma "Dishoom, E" Jeeva-vae nalla panraan!
Pudhupettai Dhanush was gud 2.
Oru "Koovam effect" kondu vandhu kuduthaan dhanush, There lies the success!acting!

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:04 PM

I havent seen a lot of mallu movies, so cant comment :)

but offlate hindi makes a lot of meaningful movies. If you havent seen any hindi movies offlate, i dont know how can you comment :roll:

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:04 PM
TL: Saif was good in Hum Tum. Not NA worthy for sure and who the heck cares about NA which conviniently ignored shivaji ganesan?? Watch his omkara, brilliant!

how do u rate him when compared our surya with nandha,pithamagan,perazhakan,gajni,ayudha ezhuthu,kaaka kaaka,mounam pesiyadhe,mayavi etc

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:05 PM

just now downloading kilukkam :cool:

but malayalam cine field is also very dry nowadays...only few guys like blessy coming up with good movies...

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:06 PM
I already said that TF does not LACk talent. It lacks good scripts. Given the same script, surya/maddy are any day better than aamir/saif or whoever 8-)

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:07 PM
I already said that TF does not LACk talent. It lacks good scripts. Given the same script, surya/maddy are any day better than aamir/saif or whoever 8-)

are u sure...because i havent seen many aamir movies...some guys claim him to be bollywood kamalhaasan...i thought he had wonderful track record

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:09 PM
Well its highly debatable. I have just taken the last few movies of aamir to wield a comparison :) He is my most fav bolly actor, btw

buddysathi
Appada! Thx for comparing aamir/saif to surya/maddy! Kamal-oda mattum compare panniruntheega.. mavanae naan tension airupen!

tamizh_literate
Well its highly debatable. I have just taken the last few movies of aamir to wield a comparison :) He is my most fav bolly actor, btw

for me also....saw rdb,dil chahtha hai and lagaan only..all are nice performances...

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:10 PM
Appada! Thx for comparing aamir/saif to surya/maddy! Kamal-oda mattum compare panniruntheega.. mavanae naan tension airupen!
:rotfl:

naanum than!

surya at 32 has proved more than aamir at 32 for sure!

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:11 PM

idhula tension aaga enna irukku ?? They are very much comparable with Kamal (Few movies). Also ALL KH movies arent so good.

Please dont bring KH here :)

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:13 PM
first of all did lagaan performance deserved a national award?

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 10:13 PM
I wonder wat hindi rural people get to watch these days! Ellam padamum rich guys, foreingn-nu thaan edukkaranga! Poor village people! athuku namma ooruthevailae,, ennum 18 patti stories varuthu, so gud for our "gramathu" brothers!

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:14 PM
NA : :notthatway:

Even oscars are criticized every year :)

tamizh_literate
I wonder wat hindi rural people get to watch these days! Ellam padamum rich guys, foreingn-nu thaan edukkaranga! Poor village people! athuku namma ooruthevailae,, ennum 18 patti stories varuthu, so gud for our "gramathu" brothers!
this is my point in first page of this thread!

they make stories mainly abt A class guys!

what abt the poor people

tamizh_literate
NA : :notthatway:

Even oscars are criticized every year :)

just say he deserved it or not

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 10:15 PM
Oscar, Baskar pechu ellam vendam! namma kadhaiku vaanga! Ulloorula evan best??

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:16 PM
Lets see:

Were hey raam and lagaan both considered :roll:

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:16 PM
Oscar, Baskar pechu ellam vendam! namma kadhaiku vaanga! Ulloorula evan best??

among young heroes

surya would give tough fight with anyone in India for sure!

rocketboy
22nd December 2006, 10:17 PM
I watched 'perumazhakaalam' sometime ago. enna movie :) . I think Tamil film industry can remake films like these

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:17 PM
I would say MADDY. IMHO, he is better than surya when it comes to performance. Now thats a different discussion altogether :lol:

ajithfederer
22nd December 2006, 10:18 PM
kandippa .............malaikkum maduvukkum vithyasam irukku 8-)

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:18 PM
Lets see:

Were hey raam and lagaan both considered :roll:

think so

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:19 PM
May be they are not. Because they were india's official oscar entries in 2000 & 2001. In that case with the movies I saw that year, I dont remember anyone doing as good as aamir in lagaan. I would say he deserved that year 8-)

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:19 PM
I would say MADDY. IMHO, he is better than surya when it comes to performance. Now thats a different discussion altogether :lol:
maddy cant fit role like pithamagan and maddy ant shift his dialogue delivery like surya

can maddy perform perazhakan...maddy has limitations ..but surya is breaking his limitations ...

there are certain roles which maddy can perform better than surya like anbe sivam..maddy rocked

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:22 PM
now come to technicians

maniratnam-best in india(considered by many)

prabhu deva - best in dance

ravi k chandran,pc sriram manikandan ravivarman rathnavelu dft - cinematography

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 10:23 PM
No,I think Surya cud have done justice to Anbe Sivam! But IMO Maddy cant do a pithamagan surya! "thaayam oruthurathu", " Lagiyum vikkarathu" and " auction@train" scenes r classy stuff!

bulb_mani
22nd December 2006, 10:24 PM
now come to technicians

Is prabhudeva best in choreography??? There is a difference being a good dancer n good choreographer :)

tamizh_literate
No,I think Surya cud have done justice to Anbe Sivam! But IMO Maddy cant do a pithamagan surya! "thaayam oruthurathu", " Lagiyum vikkarathu" and " auction@train" scenes r classy stuff!

ejatly ...after kamal the only hero im really liking is surya!

this guy has lot of potential...

Nerd
Cut that out guys. I like both maddy and surya. I like the former better 8-)

TL: I dont know much about technicians in bollywood and I dont watch a LOT of bolly movies for obvious reasons :lol:

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:26 PM
now come to technicians

Is prabhudeva best in choreography??? There is a difference being a good dancer n good choreographer :)

watch lakshya...

"mei kaise kyu" ..got national award for that!

got national award for vennilave vennilave1

rocketboy
22nd December 2006, 10:28 PM
I think I won't lose anything by not watching Hindi films.
Infact I'll become a better human being if I avoid those overdose of sex and violence.

Nerd
22nd December 2006, 10:28 PM
Infact I'll become a better human being if I avoid those overdose of sex and violence.

RB, they are ALSO making good movies. Sex and violence: Aint they prevalent in a LOT of tamil movies as well ???

tamizh_literate
22nd December 2006, 10:29 PM

neenga oru hindhi edhrpu porattam nadathuveengala? :lol:

buddysathi
22nd December 2006, 10:39 PM
Ok, Only thing I like BW! Chumma solla kudhathu,, kutty-nga engae erunthu thaan pudippangalo therila,, onnunum nachu-nu erukku! antha matter-la naama konjam weak,, mallu girls thaan eppo range namma oorula!

sonia_fr
23rd December 2006, 01:06 AM
watch lakshya...

"mei kaise kyu" ..got national award for that!

got national award for vennilave vennilave1

This song was superbeeee! A very innovative choreography! But we must admit, only an excellent dancer like Hrithik could have repeat Prabu Deva's steps as well!

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 02:16 AM
Technicians - hmm

Best Director - Maniratnam (Bollywood)
Best Music Director - ARRahman (Bollywood)
Best cinematography - Nirav Shah (Bollywood)

i think these are 3 plum technical things in a cinema and BW is thumping kolly and tolly badly in these aspects.......their picture quality seems more clear than ours.....

btw, i rate Bolly higher just for the fact that

1. No hero fights like a mad person and lifts a sumo with his hands :banghead:
2. No unneccessary gethu shown by youngsters like John Abraham, Shahid Kapoor
3. Their movies are pretty unique if u leave out the "thevai illadha" karan johar and yash chopra movies - they are innovating with script always......even the latest Kabul express is so off beat - too good.....
4. Also, someone asked abt bolly music - heres what they have scored in last 1 year:
Dus,Ashiq banaya aapne,Garam Masala(ada song),Bluffmaster,Zeher,Kalyug,Naam hai tera song, Goal Maal(title track), Kabhi Alvida na kehna, Rang De Basanti, Woh Lamhe, GANGSTER......boss tamil is just not upto this mark....

(i considered ARR and Mani to be in bolly now for the simple reason - Mani is in Hindi for another 2 years 8-) and ARR has more Bolly projects than Kolly projects.......infact after, SHivaji, sakkarakatti(i dunno if its still on??), ATM (doubtful again) ARR has no projects in tamil.....)

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 05:05 AM
(i considered ARR and Mani to be in bolly now for the simple reason - Mani is in Hindi for another 2 years and ARR has more Bolly projects than Kolly projects.......infact after, SHivaji, sakkarakatti(i dunno if its still on??), ATM (doubtful again) ARR has no projects in tamil.....)

Namma ramarajan and sarath kumar went to parliament for few years, so r they north indians??

No hero fights like a mad person and lifts a sumo with his hands

Fights are " dubakoor" in all movies,, dont tell me no hero fights in hindi at all.

No unneccessary gethu shown by youngsters like John Abraham, Shahid Kapoor

Avanga pannitaaluuum?!??!

Their movies are pretty unique if u leave out the "thevai illadha" karan johar and yash chopra movies - they are innovating with script always......even the latest Kabul express is so off beat - too good.....

I think 90% hit movies r yash chpra productions only,, appo neengalae othukiteenga they r all " thevai ellatha" movies"

Also, someone asked abt bolly music - heres what they have scored in last 1 year:
Dus,Ashiq banaya aapne,Garam Masala(ada song),Bluffmaster,Zeher,Kalyug,Naam hai tera song, Goal Maal(title track), Kabhi Alvida na kehna, Rang De Basanti, Woh Lamhe, GANGSTER......boss tamil is just not upto this mark....

C u can count the songs , but i cant count the hits in tamil!

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 05:11 AM
So ur man is Nirav shah,,

PC Sriram, KV Anand, ravi k. chandran, rajeev menon, thiru, arvind krishna, r these ppl from pakistan??!?

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 06:21 AM
Namma ramarajan and sarath kumar went to parliament for few years, so r they north indians??

Mani is absconding in tamil since 2004 and is not going to be back until 2008 - have u ever realised it??? i know there are super directors who are better than Mani in tamil who are making u not miss him.....that will be ur answer i know :wink: ......and for ARR, boss, he definitely cannot be called a Tamil composer alone.......his fan base/popularity is bigger in Bollywood than in tamil......infact,he is another guy who is almost forgotten in tamil - which was the last award ARR got for a tamil movie.......they didnt give a award for boys tooo......perusaaa ippa vandhu avaru kollywood-nnu sollareenga?? :evil:

(btw, working in bollywood doesent mean they are north indians......i'm working for a american company, sitting in namma Bengaluru, that doesent make me a American but still i belong to company that pays its taxes to American govt.)......

Fights are " dubakoor" in all movies,, dont tell me no hero fights in hindi at all.

not as illogical as tamil and telugu stunt sequences - enna sir, gaptain oruthara podhumae..... :lol:

Avanga pannitaaluuum?!??!

?? avanga panna anga nelaikka maattanga..... :D

I think 90% hit movies r yash chpra productions only,, appo neengalae othukiteenga they r all " thevai ellatha" movies"

productions is different and direction is different.......Yash chopra produced movies need not necessarily be his ideas......Saathiya is also a Yash chopra production but Mani's story.......Shankar makes masala movies, doesent mean that his production company also makes masala movies.....is Veyil a masala movie bcos of shankar production??

C u can count the songs , but i cant count the hits in tamil!

hahahaa..........they are not songs, they are albums.......the techno feel, beats, arrangements, vocals, audio sales, copying - idhula endha vishayathilum TFM bollywood-ukku eedae illa....... 8-) .....Himesh,Pritam, S-E-L, and ofcourse the bollywood ARR......this is a deadly lineup..... 8-)

reg Nirav shah - just watch Dhoom 2 in a big screen and comment...... 8-) .....even i'm a big fan of PC,Santhosh sivan, Rajeev Menon, RKC but this guy is very hot....btw, Rajeev Menon is also doing a lot of bollywood projects - so .... :lol:

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 06:48 AM
Enakku counter attack panni bore adikkuthu! wat i am trying to say is wat we (south indian cinema) taught to bollywood! where the roots came from!

1. After ARR's entry into BW, bollywood came to know " Oh! eppidi kooda Indian music-la compose pannalama-nu" yosichaanga, they tried and conquered to some level..

2. Reg Mani's case , he still need that recognition from North, that he is the best,, athuku thaan angae padam panraaru, tat would be his gate pass to international arena! roja,bombay ellam hindi-la dub pannalena mani ratnam-na yaarukum indiala theriyama poirukum!

3.Reg Cinematography , jus watch for any next big budget cinema in india..dhoom-2 thooki saapidra alavuku panni eruppango! may be even guru can outsmart it!

1 small request,, plz dont talk abt gaptain. He is my all time fav comedian :-)

Honestly, Ellarum best thaan! but, when these northies spk that they r superior then i have to engage in these unneccessary arguments!

nickraman
23rd December 2006, 07:08 AM
What the south could learn from bollywood is this....

We need more Mani films, or offbeat types! We also need to get Priyadarshan to do comedy films as well. That's a rare thing too, since the comedy in action films...tend to suck, exempt for Vivek.

Leave the masalas to Vijay, he's got a cult for that, hence his over-doing of signing films (Tirupachi, Sivakasi, now Pokiri.)

At least Ravi remakes good films with his perspective and himself in mind. Vijay remakes films that are B.O masalas, in this case Telugu masalas, so when remade in tamil, he doesn't have to change a darn thing, i.e laziness. (Okkadu, Badri and Prince's Pokiri are fine examples.) He needs to get back to his prior to "Tirumalai" days and stop touching classics.

Ajith on the otherhand has changed post Parmasivan. He's given us family entertainers (Tirupathi aside) Paramasivan had a great story, and Varalaaru was pure entertainment. With Aalwar and Kireedom, he's bound to expand his resume of diverse roles, especially when expections for "Billa 07" with "Pattiyal" Vishuvardhan are in the high now.

As for the comedy genre, leave it Vivek. As much as I solemly like Vadivelu, his steam is lost. Right from his Kaadhalan days to the y2k, he was the highlight, now with Vivek becoming the demand for social comedy, his crude slapstick days are well over (I still haven't seen Pullikesi, so I might be biased, but it's true. Say what you want about him in Pokiri, he won't live up to Venu Madhav's standards.) Name one recent film where Goundamani and Senthil appear? See, they've given it up.

That's my two cents...

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 07:43 AM
Enakku counter attack panni bore adikkuthu! wat i am trying to say is wat we (south indian cinema) taught to bollywood! where the roots came from!

1. After ARR's entry into BW, bollywood came to know " Oh! eppidi kooda Indian music-la compose pannalama-nu" yosichaanga, they tried and conquered to some level..

2. Reg Mani's case , he still need that recognition from North, that he is the best,, athuku thaan angae padam panraaru, tat would be his gate pass to international arena! roja,bombay ellam hindi-la dub pannalena mani ratnam-na yaarukum indiala theriyama poirukum!

3.Reg Cinematography , jus watch for any next big budget cinema in india..dhoom-2 thooki saapidra alavuku panni eruppango! may be even guru can outsmart it!

1 small request,, plz dont talk abt gaptain. He is my all time fav comedian :-)

Honestly, Ellarum best thaan! but, when these northies spk that they r superior then i have to engage in these unneccessary arguments!

tension aagadhinga - i was just trying to vent my frustration reg ARR and Maniratnam being underrated in Tamil for what they have achieved........they are 100% tamil.......okvaa.... :D

also, Mani is already international famous.....his movie was taken up as a subject in a foreign film institute..... 8-) .......he doesent need bollywood recognition to do that...........actually to be frank, he had some ego issues with one big star in tamil, thats y he went to Hindi...... :lol: ..........also, the scripts that he is making now, are for national audiences......

finally, who told Bollywood is only for north indians??? hey come on, so many ppl. from south have contributed so much to that industry........ 8-) .....i'm just saying the industry as such is going in a better shape than Tamil and Telugu now.....

nickraman - Ajith's comeback is indeed a plus for Tamil.......his classy cum entertaining roles shuld please all......but honestly, he shuld also refrain from kuthhu and unreal stuff...... :D

tamizh_literate
23rd December 2006, 08:32 AM
maddy...mani is underrated???

rather i would say as over-rated....Nowadays .. u ask anybody wos the best director or favourite director...style-a "mani raatnam" apdinu solvanga :lol:

ARR ...avaru poi bollywoodla thoonguna ingirukura makkal epdi thodarndhu aadharavu thara mudiyum

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 08:45 AM
Maddy..ARR has a market in tamil..you noticed how his audio sales peaked up once SOK and Varalaaru released...he went to bollywood cause he wanted to expand his reach and there were more offers there...i think your right abt the mani part...not many people here appreciate mani's movies but then again tamil nadu is not fully modernised like bombay is....so there is a counter point as well

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 08:48 AM

rather i would say as over-rated....Nowadays .. u ask anybody wos the best director or favourite director...style-a "mani raatnam" apdinu solvanga :lol:

ARR ...avaru poi bollywoodla thoonguna ingirukura makkal epdi thodarndhu aadharavu thara mudiyum

yes Mani is under-rated......he is always rated below Sridhar,KB,BR,Mahendran, BaluMahendra etc etc........even now, many ppl. argue that GM/Selvaraghavan/Cheran are better than Maniratnam :roll: ....just imagine kind of subjects/variety he has given tamil ppl.......

reg ARR, i guess the reverse is only true......since he got more fame and recognition in hindi, he has stuck there........in TN he is always considered below IR, which is totally unaccpetable for us....... :evil: .....all his international fame, padmashree and other recognition came mainly bcos of bollywood..... 8-)

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 08:51 AM
Maddy as for IR case..one thing you got to understand is the strong roots and pride that tamilians have for their culture..and IR's music even though is using western style and genres as well can be found at close with tamilian culture..thats y the partiality....but in reality ARR is not under IR...he has his own style and IR has his own style :D

tamizh_literate
23rd December 2006, 08:53 AM
Maddy..ARR has a market in tamil..you noticed how his audio sales peaked up once SOK and Varalaaru released...he went to bollywood cause he wanted to expand his reach and there were more offers there...i think your right abt the mani part...not many people here appreciate mani's movies but then again tamil nadu is not fully modernised like bombay is....so there is a counter point as well

i dont get this modernization and cinematic talent!

cinema which attracts modern people is good cinema???

rather ...u could say tn is not modernized as bombay...but chennai peole are more cultured and composed than bomba wallahs!

once...barathiraja is treated as the best director...then maniratnam...balachander before barathiraja...now bala,selva etc

when guys give sethu,kadhal kondeinveyyil,kadal,thavamai thavamirundhu...maniratnam brings his "aayudha ezhuthu" ...aayudha ezhuthu is good movie..but not great as others!

time changes...

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 08:55 AM
fully modernised does not mean all thinking western style...till now we have quite alot of people who love masala entertainers and family melodrama potboilers...so in that way we are still yet to move out to real good movies...now this has changed but when mani was around...usually such movies would be a doubt for their box office success...i am just telling from what i can see...people with accurate details can correct :notworthy: :D

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 09:03 AM
rather ...u could say tn is not modernized as bombay...but chennai peole are more cultured and composed than bomba wallahs!

yes thats right.......as soon as u get down in central station and try to catch a auto, u get to see the culture and composedness........ :lol: .....btw, after maniratnam came no-one disrespected BR or said that Mani is better than BR and KB.....but now with all this kathhu kuttis who have done only 2-3 movies, they are comparing them with Mani..... :evil:

Hulk, i agree that IR is the son of soil and ARR is a bit of alien with his attitude/music.......but they shuld have atleast appreciated/encouraged him when he set for national/international journeys.........boss,ARR has 3 nominations in OSCAR this time- any tom,dick,harry magazine have highlighted this.....idhuve IR or YSR-ukkku irundha, yabba, i cant imagine the hype that they wud have got.......but fine, i will not complain, instead i will just say ARR shuld stick to Bollywood....... 8-)

tamizh_literate
23rd December 2006, 09:03 AM

yes Mani is under-rated......he is always rated below Sridhar,KB,BR,Mahendran, BaluMahendra etc etc........even now, many ppl. argue that GM/Selvaraghavan/Cheran are better than Maniratnam :roll: ....just imagine kind of subjects/variety he has given tamil ppl.......

reg ARR, i guess the reverse is only true......since he got more fame and recognition in hindi, he has stuck there........in TN he is always considered below IR, which is totally unaccpetable for us....... :evil: .....all his international fame, padmashree and other recognition came mainly bcos of bollywood..... 8-)

of course he is below barathiraja and mahendran...

but u cant say people ignire him just by arguing with internet people..come to tamilnadu colleges and ask whos their favourite director...they wold say "ma-ni-rat-nam"

Hulkster
23rd December 2006, 09:10 AM
Maddy...it really depends....there were many IR,ARR songs better than RDB that were never nominated by indian film committee to oscar..they give khalbali to oscar but ARR's has composed songs ten times better than that. Even YSR has got a international film festival award but still his music is not really on par with ARR...what really matters is both these geniuses get recognised for their talent and they have as well..IR has been recognised through his symphony and instrumental albums and ARR through his crossover films and random international movies/stage plays..thats enough :D

tamizh_literate
23rd December 2006, 09:13 AM
Maddy...it really depends....there were many IR,ARR songs better than RDB that were never nominated by indian film committee to oscar..they give khalbali to oscar but ARR's has composed songs ten times better than that. Even YSR has got a international film festival award but still his music is not really on par with ARR...what really matters is both these geniuses get recognised for their talent and they have as well..IR has been recognised through his symphony and instrumental albums and ARR through his crossover films and random international movies/stage plays..thats enough :D

MADDY,

we think the other way...why wasnt ilayaraja music represented in international level by Indian govt!

its ilayaraja ..the most under rated musician in India....whos best in talent

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 04:07 PM
MADDY,

we think the other way...why wasnt ilayaraja music represented in international level by Indian govt!

its ilayaraja ..the most under rated musician in India....whos best in talent

IR was not recognised by Indian govt.......infact ARR himself had said that indian govt. shuld recognise IR's TIS.....ARR was in bollywood which made indian govt look at him.....hey u dont know, they consider ARR as a uth icon in north.....govt has no option but to recognise him......but tamil, even now the articles that come out concerning ARR from bollywood and Kollywood clearly shows the difference.....vidunga T_L, i feel like garnering sympathy votes for ARR...... :lol: .......ennna sonnalum, avar Bollywood aalum dhaan...... :D

IR is more talented than ARR but ARR has more than made it up with his hardwork, humility, variety in genres, innovation in sounds......and he has built such a huge fan base all over India/world is for the fact that he is a rare phenom.......the recognition that he got for this is very poor......

Hulk, u mean t say cyprus==oscar??? :lol: /.......hulk, ARR section varuvala appa gavinchikkaran :evil:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 06:37 PM
IR is more talented than ARR but ARR has more than made it up with his hardwork, humility, variety in genres, innovation in sounds......and he has built such a huge fan base all over India/world is for the fact that he is a rare phenom.......the recognition that he got for this is very poor......Why does ARR need enemies (rival camp) when he has friends (ARR camp) like you? :rotfl:

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 07:06 PM
The discussion has gone into a totally different direction.
MAni & ARR yaarukku sontham-nu pesa arambichitom., IMO honestly, both of em have lost their magic atleast now in TN. I remember me & my friends standing outside the audio shop early morning for buying "Jeans" the first days of its release during my school days. Rt now , we talk of those days and laugh how strange we acted, bcos all of us listen to IR songs now.

Times change, there is a saturation for everything. Now the names of directors like Selvaraghavn, Gautham Menon draw equal audiences to theatres as Mani ,,no matter who acts in their films.

Mani,ARR,IR,Bharathi raja, etc. they are all proven legends. No need to discuss further on them plz. No comparisons required. Keep aside the legends and discuss on the current generation of players wat they r doin to the industry.

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 07:29 PM
Why does ARR need enemies (rival camp) when he has friends (ARR camp) like you? :rotfl:

NOV sir, in a grammatical sense, IR is more talented than ARR but doesent mean that i like him more than ARR........we'll support ARR to the hilt...... 8-) .....

they have lost their magic, y do u need them??? :arrow:

Bollywood has Raykesh mehra and Ashutosh Gowariker who can extract magic from my man still..........leave him to bollywood......

buddy, Mani belongs to both Bollywood and Kollywood.....agreed??
ARR belongs to Bollywood - agreed?? 8-)

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 07:53 PM
buddy, Mani belongs to both Bollywood and Kollywood.....agreed??

Strongly Disagree

1. He jus makes hindi movies for strong recognition through out India. Even if South Indian directors comes out with movies like titanic,forrest gump, etc.., BW and India wont recognise it! They will make fun like how a handicapped person runs?? Y is the hero tom hanks looking bad? Look at our ultra model John Abraham , Shirtless Salman!!
U stop any "sarasari" bollywood movie watcher , and ask him who is the best director in India and he'll say " Aamir Khan". They identify movies only with heroes and not with directors! Mani is gettin older, he wants to retire as India's best and not as TN's best!

ARR belongs to Bollywood - agreed??

If any new company offers more 200-300% hike compared to my current package, send me regular on-site assignments, get me more client appreciation, even though the projects are crappy, I will go for it! This is wat happening to ARR!

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 08:16 PM
U mean AR Rahman is accepting crappy projects??? :shock:

Lagan Swades RDB Guru legend of bhagat singh :roll:

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 08:30 PM

super mani.... 8-) .....

buddysathi, this is not fair.....wat r u trying to tell here???i like IR --> ARR and Mani are not at their best, but we want them in Tamil so that we can bash them and make our IR/BR/Mahendran part of our tastes happy??? the moment u think they are not the best, they are not urs cos bollywood is ready to consider them no.1 still.... 8-)

i want ARR to be no.1 wherever he goes......i dont care if its Kollywood, Bollywood, Hollywood or even Africa......

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 08:32 PM
U mean AR Rahman is accepting crappy projects???

Lagan Swades RDB Guru legend of bhagat singh

Lagaan & RDB created sensation, but not the rest, only ARR fans listened to everything. There were times only ARR alone carved a film's success. His selection of Hindi movies is not as good as he did in tamil. Why cant he do with Bala, Cheran, Goutham, Selvaraghavan, vishnuvardhan? Plz dont tell Bala - IR, Goutham-HJ, Selva-YSR! It all comes down to " paisa"!
Coming to Guru, if its Mani, then there's ARRby default. kandippa ARR's Salary wud have been less for Guru bcos of Mani.

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 08:41 PM
Why cant he do with Bala, Cheran, Goutham, Selvaraghavan, vishnuvardhan? Plz dont tell Bala - IR, Goutham-HJ, Selva-YSR! It all comes down to " paisa"!

u mean ARR will work if he gets more money with selva,GM,Cheran??? i dont think so,,,,,he still hasnt got full salary for Mangal Pandey...... :roll:

adhellam vidunga, y do u want to consider ARR and Mani to be Kollywood if u think IR,BR, Selva,GM,Cheran are better??? ok, even if u feel they were good and not now, that also puts a question, y u need them???...........whats wrong if someone claims them to be bollywood??
this is a question to all TF fans and not just Buddysathi....... :lol:

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 08:43 PM

super mani.... 8-) .....

buddysathi, this is not fair.....wat r u trying to tell here???i like IR --> ARR and Mani are not at their best, but we want them in Tamil so that we can bash them and make our IR/BR/Mahendran part of our tastes happy??? the moment u think they are not the best, they are not urs cos bollywood is ready to consider them no.1 still.... 8-)

i want ARR to be no.1 wherever he goes......i dont care if its Kollywood, Bollywood, Hollywood or even Africa......

I'm tellin ARR and Mani still wants that "fame" from BW. IR lost his hopes on tat, or may be even he didnt had the skills to attract BW. But MAni and ARR believes they can bring tat 'cup' to SOuth India, proving they r the best!

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 08:53 PM
Why cant he do with Bala, Cheran, Goutham, Selvaraghavan, vishnuvardhan? Plz dont tell Bala - IR, Goutham-HJ, Selva-YSR! It all comes down to " paisa"!

u mean ARR will work if he gets more money with selva,GM,Cheran??? i dont think so,,,,,he still hasnt got full salary for Mangal Pandey...... :roll:

adhellam vidunga, y do u want to consider ARR and Mani to be Kollywood if u think IR,BR, Selva,GM,Cheran are better??? ok, even if u feel they were good and not now, that also puts a question, y u need them???...........whats wrong if someone claims them to be bollywood??
this is a question to all TF fans and not just Buddysathi....... :lol:

These r all low-budget directors. ARR-ku kudukkura kaasula, paathi padam eduthuruvaanga! Tats the reason ppl like shankar can get ARR easily! ARR missed anniyan jus becos of date problems! Namma oorula kaasu romba kammi! namakku erukkira kaasula entha alavu standard films,songs kuduka mudiyoma kudukkorom! Its fighting like TN Vs Rest of India, and we still r in the battle.

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 09:00 PM
See Selvaraghavan , Gautham , Vishnuvardan r stylish directors ok... even producers r having faith in their products so they can afford ARR for sure ... but the directors should be willing to work with HIm isnt it?

They usually work with Harris or YSR bcoz of the rapport they share n they suit their working methodology....

Shankar opted for Harris.... both did not gel well... the product was ordinary n took a bashing....

Now Shankar is back to ARR :lol2:

MADDY
23rd December 2006, 09:01 PM
These r all low-budget directors. ARR-ku kudukkura kaasula, paathi padam eduthuruvaanga! Tats the reason ppl like shankar can get ARR easily! ARR missed anniyan jus becos of date problems! Namma oorula kaasu romba kammi! namakku erukkira kaasula entha alavu standard films,songs kuduka mudiyoma kudukkorom! Its fighting like TN Vs Rest of India, and we still r in the battle.

buddy, u dont know abt ARR.......his salary is just 90 lacs in tamil.......u1 gets 70-80 lacs and HJ gets 90 lacs.......ARR is not as costly as u think.......its just he works with pppl. only he likes........be it a tamilian or a maharashtrian......please dont refer ARR as money minded cos then i have to open "high voltage" issues here.......its a request....

TN vs Rest of India??? :lol: .....infact its Bollywood vs rest of industries.......anyways too much has been talked.....bye....take care.....ARR and Mani are ur guys only 100%........avangala adikireengalo odhaikireengalo adhu unga ishtam...... :lol:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:07 PM
Maddy, there are not only many things that South can teach Bollywood, today it is what it is because of the platform called Southern technicians.

You may be ready to hand over Maniratnam and ARR to the Northerners, but no sir, I am happy that our products are adding value to another.

Mani and ARR may have had a few failures - who hasn't? Even Rajini has faced flops. But it doesnt mean that they have been rejected.

As far as Tamil cinema today is concerned, whether you like it or not, Direction means Maniratnam and Music means ARR.

Period.

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 09:23 PM
Maddy, there are not only many things that South can teach Bollywood, today it is what it is because of the platform called Southern technicians.

You may be ready to hand over Maniratnam and ARR to the Northerners, but no sir, I am happy that our products are adding value to another.

Mani and ARR may have had a few failures - who hasn't? Even Rajini has faced flops. But it doesnt mean that they have been rejected.

As far as Tamil cinema today is concerned, whether you like it or not, Direction means Maniratnam and Music means ARR.

Period. Nov, Ennanaga nalla sollitu vandheenga, kadaisila kavuthuteenga!

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:29 PM
Nov, Ennanaga nalla sollitu vandheenga, kadaisila kavuthuteenga!evlO kutram irukkudhO adhukku thagundhappadi parisa korachu kodunga. :P

buddy, I repeat,

:D

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 09:32 PM
NOV does that mean ur discrediting people like LINGUSAMY, BALA, CHERAN , SELVA , VISHNU , GAUTHAM :roll:

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 09:32 PM

Period.

Nov.... very nicely said.... cantik macam bunga pa!!!!

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 09:33 PM

:roll: :confused2:

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 09:34 PM

ooppps...sorry for the malay... it means beautiful like flower...which simply means SAVADI! 8-)

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:34 PM
NOV does that mean ur discrediting people like LINGUSAMY, BALA, CHERAN , SELVA , VISHNU , GAUTHAM :roll:NO. :roll:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:36 PM
Nov.... very nicely said.... cantik macam bunga pa!!!!Pls tell that to your buddy maddy. :lol:

anyway, why are you here and not watching MU match? :evil:

rocketboy
23rd December 2006, 09:37 PM

As far as Tamil cinema is concerned, whether you like it or not, Direction means CHERAN and Music means IR

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 09:38 PM
NOV does that mean ur discrediting people like LINGUSAMY, BALA, CHERAN , SELVA , VISHNU , GAUTHAM :roll:NO. :roll:

So u meant Maniratnam is benchmark for such aspiring directors? :roll:

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 09:39 PM
Nov.... very nicely said.... cantik macam bunga pa!!!!Pls tell that to your buddy maddy. :lol:

anyway, why are you here and not watching MU match? :evil:

haha.... tv beein concered by oldies...so no choice but to be here... haha!! no gang to go mamak stall & watch the match there...all the guys balik kampung :( .....

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:40 PM
ok guys don't put words in my mouth.

rocketboy, your removing the word "today" from my statement is not nice. :?:
I'm not going to argue with you on Cheran. :roll:

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 09:41 PM

ooppps...sorry for the malay... it means beautiful like flower...which simply means SAVADI! 8-)

Oh ok :P

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 09:42 PM

As far as Tamil cinema is concerned, whether you like it or not, Direction means CHERAN and Music means IR

IR part is acceptable... but Cheran over Mani, KB, Shankar & Bharathiraja.... hmmmm :roll: yosika vendiya vishiyum....

but def Tamil music today,every tom dick & harry is aping ARR's music and not IRs... :) so as far as NOW is concern, its ARR :)

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 09:42 PM
Nov, Ennanaga nalla sollitu vandheenga, kadaisila kavuthuteenga!evlO kutram irukkudhO adhukku thagundhappadi parisa korachu kodunga. :P

buddy, I repeat,

Sorry Nov! I cant accept that, I c selvaraghavan brings more naturality to his films than mani's bit exagarrated, " adhigaprasakithanam"characters. I am sad tat u missed to mention IR! :idontgetit:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:45 PM
haha.... tv beein concered by oldies...so no choice but to be here... haha!! no gang to go mamak stall & watch the match there...all the guys balik kampung :( .....poor you. :lol: where do you stay?
MU score is still 0-0. But Liverpool is leading 1-0 :P

as far as Tamil film music is concerned, it has been generally accepted that GR :arrow: MSV :arrow: IR :arrow: ARR
with each working on the path laid by the previous'
Therefore the question of one being better than another does not and should not arise. 8-)

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 09:46 PM
NOV u said Direction means MANIRATNAM.... in present day...

Bcoz if u take the case of current trend in tamil cinema.... his last 2 films were flops....

U might say ur not talking about successful director but good director... but to be true i found nothing exemplary in his last 2 movies.... screenplay was very slow ..... :roll:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:49 PM
Sorry Nov! I cant accept that,

I c selvaraghavan brings more naturality to his films than mani's bit exagarrated, " adhigaprasakithanam"characters.

I am sad tat u missed to mention IR! Thats ok Buddy. Probably we are using different stds of measurement. :D

As for IR, he is not in the equation now.
I thot everyone knew that. :huh:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:51 PM
Bcoz if u take the case of current trend in tamil cinema.... his last 2 films were flops.... A couple of flops does not bring down all he has built over the last 2 decades.

Yes, Mani is the term of reference.

p/s: Ronaldo scored a goal for MU. :clap:

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 09:52 PM
thanks for the update NOV ;) .... do we have a sports conner here that is active ?? :D

me staying in Kelana Jaya.... :D

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 09:53 PM
Bcoz if u take the case of current trend in tamil cinema.... his last 2 films were flops.... A couple of flops does not bring down all he has built over the last 2 decades.

Yes, Mani is the term of reference.

p/s: Ronaldo scored a goal for MU. :clap:

Mani solra madiri Ronaldo aaduraaru poliruku! :wink:

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 09:53 PM
yea....even Gautham clearly mentioned his fav dir was MR... hey,and did u notice, Gautham's film nowdays too the actors whisper rather than talking,just like MR's films :P!

NOV
23rd December 2006, 09:55 PM
thanks for the update NOV ;) .... do we have a sports conner here that is active ?? :D
me staying in Kelana Jaya.... :Dhttp://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewforum.php?f=39

Kelana Jaya? wow, that's next door to my workplace. do come and meet me for lunch one day. :D

MU leading 2-0 now. :whistle:

buddy, you may be right. ;) after all football today is more drama than sports, if you know what I mean. ;)

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 09:56 PM
All these whispers came from hollywood! Avanga thaanya appanuku appan ellam!

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 09:58 PM
me staying in Kelana Jaya.... :Dhttp://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewforum.php?f=39

Kelana Jaya? wow, that's next door to my workplace. do come and meet me for lunch one day. :D

MU leading 2-0 now. :whistle:

buddy, you may be right. ;) after all football today is more drama than sports, if you know what I mean. ;)

wow....so fast goal va... hehe...

sure NOV ;)!! im honoured to meet the MAN of the hub ;)

now the most feared word for all guys is the word "DRAMA" ....thanks to the tamil dramas!!! :P

newayz, does the bollywood respect Mani as much as the southerns respecting him!?

NOV
23rd December 2006, 10:00 PM
buddy, I have been in the TFM forum since 1997 and have seen the fiercest battle between IR and ARR fans. at one stage it even led to the closing of the forum for a day. :shock:

but today, many of those hard core fans of IR have accepted ARR as a permanent phenomenon of TF. that's why it surprises me to no end when maddy makes an about turn. :lol:

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 10:03 PM
buddy, I have been in the TFM forum since 1997 and have seen the fiercest battle between IR and ARR fans. at one stage it even led to the closing of the forum for a day. :shock:

but today, many of those hard core fans of IR have accepted ARR as a permanent phenomenon of TF. that's why it surprises me to no end when maddy makes an about turn. :lol:

:shock: :? :oops: was that bad???? wow..!! music mella ivala veriya??? :P

NOV
23rd December 2006, 10:03 PM
wow....so fast goal va... hehe...

sure NOV ;)!! im honoured to meet the MAN of the hub ;)

now the most feared word for all guys is the word "DRAMA" ....thanks to the tamil dramas!!! :P

newayz, does the bollywood respect Mani as much as the southerns respecting him!?adhaan puyal maadhiri goal. :P:P:P

whos da man? ARR? ;)

drama? as in serial? aala vidu :yessir:

no idea on respect for Mani in BW. i do not watch hindi movies. 8-)
altho I have privy to some inside info. ;)
and I dont think he is looking for respect either.

dinesh2002
23rd December 2006, 10:08 PM
the man...NOV ;) ;)

heheh...serial'akku yepothan vidivu kaalam varumo :P

true...but itseems he is in full gear to make hindi movies & want them to get used to him... :D

buddysathi
23rd December 2006, 10:10 PM
Even i dont know nything abt BW movies, but i stay with roomies from north who similar to me without watchin any tamil flicks comments badly. So i did the same to them, now they r very afraid to even say the name Rajini in front of me!

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 10:13 PM
Onething bollywood can teach kollywood is MULTI STARRER films...

i think its high time our stars begin working upon it ... if not frequently...

Pattiyal was a hit.... but it couldhave been a blockbuster if 2 big stars have acted in it... say Surya in Arya's role n Ajith in Bharath dumb role....

What u feel guys :roll: [ the choice of actors is my opinion... dont get offended by it :) ]

NOV
23rd December 2006, 10:15 PM
:shock: :? :oops: was that bad???? wow..!! music mella ivala veriya??? :Ppassion. :lol2:

not very different from you in HR thread. hehe. :poke:

heheh...serial'akku yepothan vidivu kaalam varumo :Pnothing wrong wth serials. paarkka vEndiya vayasula paarkka vEndiyavanga (read ppl with leisure) paarkkalaam.
not for us tho. :roll:

Even i dont know nything abt BW movies, but i stay with roomies from north who similar to me without watchin any tamil flicks comments badly. So i did the same to them, now they r very afraid to even say the name Rajini in front of me!:lol:
just remind them that from time immemorial it has been the southern girls who have been charming them - vyjanthi mala, hema malini, rekha, srdevi and now aiswariya rai. see their mouths gapng as you say this. :rotfl:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 10:17 PM
Ronaldo scores another goal; its 3-0 now. :redjump:

dinesh, check your PM.

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 10:18 PM
Digressions :roll:

NOV
23rd December 2006, 10:20 PM
Digressions :roll:different opinions
no fights
mutual respect
good discussion

8-)

bulb_mani
23rd December 2006, 10:22 PM
no fights
mutual respect
good discussion

8-)

:huh:

I dont understand if u people chat n digress nothin is deleted.... whereas if we chat u lock them delete it....

i quit arguing since ur not NOV the hubber... but the MOD 8-) shows it all :!:

dinesh2002
24th December 2006, 08:48 AM
hahaha....Ronaldo rocks... :clap:

Nov....ennake va... haha :mrgreen: on HJ matter.... :rotfl:

yea.... most BW movies are actually boring & whats worse they remakes too many english films.... i saw 1 lately... a remake of " The Wedding Date " .... what a bad version of the original.... :hammer:

kamalsurya
24th December 2006, 09:54 AM
Arsenal won 6-2 :roll: Even though we are in 4th place we u guys at old trafford :boo: :cool2: :Nanadance:

Btw guys I don't think we should add shankar to eilte group of directors in tamil cinema other than Indian & Gentleman I don't think any other movies is really worth mentioning.The guys that would really make it big for me is Gautham,Bala,Muragadoss,Vishnuvardhan 8-)

MADDY
24th December 2006, 10:03 AM
Gautham,Bala,Muragadoss,Vishnuvardhan 8-)

Shankar - 6 super hit movies and 1 hit movie, 7 superhit music albums, innumerous national awards in his movies, highest paid director in India(karan johar makes movies only for his own productions, same with Maniratnam), has touched many social issues, produces rippers like Kadhal,Veyil.....

now tell me, are these 3 guys equal to Shankar??? no way.......summa chinna pasangala shankar,Maniratnam-oda oppidaathinga.....please.....let them achieve and then lets see...... 8-)

kamalsurya
24th December 2006, 11:19 AM
Gautham,Bala,Muragadoss,Vishnuvardhan 8-)

Shankar - 6 super hit movies and 1 hit movie, 7 superhit music albums, innumerous national awards in his movies, highest paid director in India(karan johar makes movies only for his own productions, same with Maniratnam), has touched many social issues, produces rippers like Kadhal,Veyil.....

now tell me, are these 3 guys equal to Shankar??? no way.......summa chinna pasangala shankar,Maniratnam-oda oppidaathinga.....please.....let them achieve and then lets see...... 8-)

I was talking about Direction MADDY if u know what it meant Veyill and Khadal was produced by him.NA was not given to him as a director. Super hit music is accounted for it is down to music director.Highest paid director does not mean he is best in the bussiness. Even SRK & Rajini are highest paid actors but are they best in terms of acting? :huh: Foe me he has not showed enough variations.But I have confidence on the potentials of the directors i have mentioned above.

imsai
24th December 2006, 12:06 PM
no fights
mutual respect
good discussion

8-)

:huh:

I dont understand if u people chat n digress nothin is deleted.... whereas if we chat u lock them delete it....

i quit arguing since ur not NOV the hubber... but the MOD 8-) shows it all :!:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

imsai
24th December 2006, 12:07 PM
so who won the soccer match? :roll:

kamalsurya
24th December 2006, 01:41 PM
so who won the soccer match? :roll:

Which match u wanna know about??

man utd 3-0 aston villa
Arsenal 6-2 Blackburn
Liverpool 2-0 watford
Chelski 3-2 Wigan :evil:
Newcastle3-1 Spurs
bolton 2-0 man city

These are the few big matches :wink:

MADDY
24th December 2006, 05:52 PM
I was talking about Direction MADDY if u know what it meant

adaaadaa, yaar kitta edha pathhi pesanalum ella enna ippadiye thaakkaranga....... :lol: ......yes Kamalsurya, i dunno abt direction, i have never directed any movie before........ :oops: .....sorry....

kamalsurya
24th December 2006, 08:19 PM
I have also not directed any movies b4 MADDY FYI. But all that i knw if in the credits section it say direction by x....then that 'x' is the director but when I was talking about director shankar u started talking about producer shankar stating the movies he produced to say that he belong to elite group of director down south :roll: That was why i got doubtful... :wink:

alwarpet_andavan
26th December 2006, 12:30 PM
Omkara was a very poor interpretation of macbeth. There was no strong reason as to why ajay should suspect kareena.

Smith,
Check out the scene where Vivek 'flees' from the scene when Ajay and Saif spot him with Kareena....

alwarpet_andavan
26th December 2006, 12:36 PM
Performance: " Black"nu oru padam aacha oocha-nu vuttanga! naanum serinu paatha,, namma "Anjali" Baby shamli range alavu kooda ellai! :wink:
It's a crime to compare the Pondichery 'Black' kid's role with Shyamili's...
If you term Black as sugar-coated or glossy then Anjali was Gloss raised to infinity and you would need a microscope to find authenticity.
There is nothing in the film which is natural, except for Raghuvaran and IR, who was sheer magic.
Had you not been aware that the kid was spastic or whatever, you wouldn't even notice it in the film.
And the most annoying aspect was the army of kids. Nowhere in the world are you going to find kids like that, except in Mani's world...

alwarpet_andavan
26th December 2006, 12:40 PM
Performance: Watch movies like maqbool/omkara/LRMB/RDB/Page3 etc.,

Yes but i think LRMB is one of the most overrated movie of all time..

And Page 3, yeah the theme was refreshing but it was marked by a stark lack of subtlety and typical 80-90's Bollywood acting.....

alwarpet_andavan
26th December 2006, 12:51 PM
1. No hero fights like a mad person and lifts a sumo with his hands :banghead:
2. No unneccessary gethu shown by youngsters like John Abraham, Shahid Kapoor
3. Their movies are pretty unique if u leave out the "thevai illadha" karan johar and yash chopra movies - they are innovating with script always......even the latest Kabul express is so off beat - too good.....

Completely agree! Even their worst is not as bad as our worst.

Even a movie like "Pyaar Ke Side Effects" - not a great movie by any means and it may be an inspired one, but it's a funny movie made very well in parts...
This movie symbolises the maturity of the BW audience vis a vis the lack of maturity and narrow-mindedness of us.
It's got a few x-rated jokes and 'situations' but its not in the least vulgar [its natural and observable in everyday life], as against every other Thamizh film which will have its dose of double entendre and cheap and vulgar movements etc...

Maddy,
However i disagree that their music is better than ours.. I would say its improved by THEIR standrads but not necessarily better than ours...

And Nerd,
Did you notice one more thing in Omkara? The superb background score by director/MD Vishal Bharadwaj? Unusual for a Hindi movie.....

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 12:51 PM
:rotfl:

naanum than!

surya at 32 has proved more than aamir at 32 for sure!

:shock: :o
Can someone throw some light on this :?: Did AAMIR act in terrible films when he was at 32 ? :oops: :roll: :?:

Raghu
28th December 2006, 07:32 PM
Bollywood Can teach Kollywood

1) how to groom
2) how to remain slim and look good
3) That this is Ok to have multiple heros and heroines in a movie

Kollywood Can teach bollywood

1) How to act
2) Talents

Nerd
8th January 2007, 10:04 PM
I saw kabul express over the weekend in theatres. We were three and believe me it was a special screening for us :lol: NObody was there in the theeatre except us. It was an amazing experience.

Coming to the point, the movie was very good at points but on the whole it sucked. Very amateurish. John abraham was pathetic. That
guy hasnt learnt the art of acting, yet.

+s

1. Arshad warsi -- w/o him the movie would have been a disaster

2. Pepsi/Coke scene -- Though this issue had been beaten to death by the media, that scene was very good to watch and was thought-provoking as well.

3. Last scene -- Though I guessed whats gonna happen, still it was touchy and RAW :shock:

4. General knowledge -- Learnt a lot of things about the talibs, thanks to the movie :lol:

5. That american chick - :P

-s

1. John Abraham and his english - :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

2. Lots of amateurish scenes. (Imran Vs Kapil scene is one)

3. Flawed logic.

4. Preachy and gave a feel of watching a documentary at times.

Things that kolly can teach bolly w.r.to this movie:

1. How to ACT

2. Direction -- Though the screenplay was OK, the direction was pathetic.

Things that we need to learn from the movie:

1. Innovative script like this

2. Guts (bold script, bold location, bold actor selection)

thimuru
8th January 2007, 11:00 PM
art direction!

i believe we are very good in art direction...the sets in hindi movies easily resemble as sets(someone may clear this)

Nerd
9th January 2007, 02:37 AM
And Nerd,
Did you notice one more thing in Omkara? The superb background score by director/MD Vishal Bharadwaj? Unusual for a Hindi movie.....

Dint notice this post as well as the BGM in omkara. I thought it was OK and atleast did not hinder the movie's theme/story. Will try watching it again. Also the BGM in maqbool was top class as well. BGM in RDB was too good (except in a few emotional scenes e.g. jallianwalabagh) especially in the assassination scene (aamir and co.)

About LRMB, yes the movie wasnt so good but I thought performance wise it was good third only to omkara and RDB last year :)

arunyss
9th January 2007, 12:59 PM

In Black the film refers to locations like Shimla and others but the entire movie is shot in some foreign locale... which is not necessary and it removes the nativity of the subject

leosimha
9th January 2007, 01:13 PM
why should south indian films teach...let bollywood learn from kollywood....thats it...game over...

Designer
9th January 2007, 08:29 PM
COMEDY : theres' no separate comedy track in Bollywood movies and not much importance is given to include such scenes. bcos of which many talented comedy actors find other fora to showcase their talents & also to earn a livelihood.

manmadan
9th January 2007, 11:26 PM

1) how to groom

1) How to act
2) Talents

yea exactly :!:

kollywood should bring top heroes together to make even more successful films.
last films i remember was probs pithamagan, friends :roll:

mareen
9th January 2007, 11:40 PM

1) how to groom

1) How to act
2) Talents

last films i remember was probs pithamagan, friends :roll:Rajavil Parvaiyile ( Vijay and Ajith )

bingleguy
10th January 2007, 12:37 AM

1) how to groom

1) How to act
2) Talents

last films i remember was probs pithamagan, friends :roll:Rajavil Parvaiyile ( Vijay and Ajith )

adhaan aduthadhu namma padam varudhu illa ;-) Mareen ... andha padam peru kandupudichiteengala ? Great !

mareen
11th January 2007, 06:46 PM
yaa found it " Rajavin parvayie "

btw Syamvaram had lots of top cast performing :D

Sarna
9th May 2010, 12:00 PM
1. What is acting ?
2. What is film-making ?
3. What is original ?

Scale
9th May 2010, 12:04 PM
A Wednesday!

ithellam vera nadakutha? :roll: paarthu 'kaala bandhar' kannadiya thiripida poraanga

Scale
9th May 2010, 12:16 PM
I didn't see the date :oops:

Scale
9th May 2010, 12:35 PM
dinesh :shock: :searching: wat a coincidence...

Prabo
12th May 2010, 04:58 PM
1. Opening song
2. Punch dialogues
3. Prefix/titles for heroes

Plum
12th May 2010, 05:01 PM
1. Good actors dont necessarily come with good looks
2. Good looks dont neceessarily come with good acting - wait, thats bollywood's lesson for South
2. Well-rounded heroines can act, too. Not all such specimen are to be laughed at. Some of them can beat your slimmies hollow when it comes to acting.
3. 70% of India is in Villages

MADDY
12th May 2010, 05:07 PM

and 95% of the villagers have a beard with a shady record in nearest police station and a dhavani clad girl loving them sincerely since childhood only to ditch them in the climax so that "ponnungale ippadi thaan" philosophy can be imbibed in today's youths

Plum
12th May 2010, 05:09 PM

and 95% of the villagers have a beard with a shady record in nearest police station and a dhavani clad girl loving them sincerely since childhood only to ditch them in the climax so that "ponnungale ippadi thaan" philosophy can be imbibed in today's youths

:lol: - allo dont touch there - adhu vEra vishayam!

MADDY
12th May 2010, 05:19 PM

:lol: - allo dont touch there - adhu vEra vishayam!

:lol:

simplicity - runbir kapoor-oda side kick will do more bandha than rajini, kamal, IR,ARR, mani or even KB, BR :) ........

comedy - nobody can teach but still bolly can learn from tamil films......however, films like kaminey have very good comic moments....

i cant think of anything that kollywood can teach bollywood becos kollywood is trying to ape bollywood......glamour, sleaze, parties, tabloid - adhe madhiri poittu irukkanga......both industries have good elements and elements which are mundane, trying to bring down the quality :) .....infact as kasyhayapar once noted, its "industry" which spoils quality - industry illadha language padam ellam nalla irukkumaame :)

Prabo
12th May 2010, 05:22 PM
TFI must learn to make small, multiplex movies from bollywood bhai log. With the multiplex's increasing, I think it is the best time to venture into small movies. Not neccessarily big star cast, but, fresh, experimental, controversial themes like Khosla ka Ghosla, Mixed doubles, Raat Gayi Baat Gayi, 99, etc

Stiglitz
12th May 2010, 06:36 PM
1: Originality

Most of the Hindi Movies that I've seen are either copies, or come out to be disgustingly pretentious!

I saw Housefull today @ Ega. Thought it was a laugh riot, well made, but not original. It was a good mixture of "The Heartbreak Kid" and "Kadhala Kadhala"

Many of bollywood movies are like that:

Blue (There was a scene which was taken right out of "Hitch" starring Will Smith! :banghead:

Kambakt Ishq (A remake of PKS, I guess, but sounded horribly pretentious!)

Dostana - I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry! :roll: And i liked the original a lot more!

Kaante - Reservoir Dogs

Musafir - U Turn

Murder - Unfaithful

Oops - So Pretentious that it made me stop watching movies abt the Metro Crowd in India for about a year!

Salaam E Ishq - Love Actually (But didn't show it, that's worth appreciation)

There are a few which are quite good, and I desperatly wish that Tamil Film Industry makes movies like this::

3 Idiots

Dhoom 2 (Yeah, it's just a senseless masala, but I liked the presentation, glamour and glitz. :P )

Black

Fanaa - Surya and Asin would be awesome in this movie! :thumbsup: