PDA

View Full Version : A Traditional Christmas Menu

Oldposts
24th December 2004, 02:45 PM
Topic started by Rakhi (yh@re.com) (@ grouper-65.netexpress.net) on Thu Dec 18 17:39:14 EST 2003.

Hi all,
I am just sharing a traditional christmas menu from my native place.
In our place,the celeberation starts from December 1st.We clean our houses and put up crib,chrsitmas tree and stars and lights.You see christmas trees,stars and lights in almost
every houses on the streets.
The menu below is a very traditional one in my family.several recipes are my grand ma's which she herself learnt from her mother or her grandma.
the recipe for pappaas and chaps are so rare,I once searched the internet and did not get it.You will not find them anywhere else.

A Traditional Christmas menu:

breakfast
---------

vellayappam(paalappam)
meat stew
steamed banana
tea/coffee

lunch
-----

appetizers:

home-made grape wine
rum cake(rich fruit cake)

1st course:

sweet bread
chicken pappaas
meat cutlet

2nd course:
sweet bread
pork vindaloo
liver roast

3rd course:

rice
meat chaaps
chicken korma
duck roast
fish curry
fish fry
cabbage thoren
kaalan
pickle
pappads
salad

dessert:
fruit salad/payasam

tea-time
--------
pazham pori(banana roast)
mutta kuzhalappam(love letter)
vattayappam,achappam,unniyappam etc

Here are some recipes.More will follow.watch out for chaaps and pappaas.

Vellayappam
-----------
rice flour -- 2 cups
grated coconut -- 1 cup
cumin powder --1 pinch
sugar --4tbsp
yeast --1 tsp
milk -- as desired
salt -- a pinch
coconut water

Grind together coconut and cumin to a fine paste.In a large vessel,pour this and mix with rice flour.Heat some water(1/4 cup) and dissolve yeast in it.add this also to the mixture.Now for the reqd consistency,add milk or coconut milk.finally add sugar.keep this overnight.
In a paalappa chatti,smear some oil,pour the batter one scoop ,hold the pan with both hands turn the pan around till the lace is formed and close the lid.do not turn on other side.when cooked,remove.u can also use regular pan.

STEW
----
Ingredients
stew meat(optional) -1 and 1/2 kg
potato,carrot,green peas - 1 cup each
ginger -one small piece
onion -1 large
garlic -6 pods
green chillies -6
curryleaves
oil - tsp
chilli powder -1 tsp
turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
ground pepper -1/2 tsp
ginger garlic paste -2 tsp
coconut milk -4 cups
vinegar -2 tbsp
salt
spices to grind
cinnammon
cardamom
nutmeg
pepper
fennel
cloves
Method
1.Cut stew meat and wash thoroughly.Drain excess water.
2.Add 1 tsp chilli powder,1 tsp salt,1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1/2 tsp pepper powder,
ground spices,ginger garlic paste and pressure cook the meat till 10 whistles
or till it is done.
3.Cut potatoes and carrots to very small pieces.Steam the potatoes,carrots and peas with
salt.
4.Extract coconut milk.Keep the first extract aside.Make 2 more extractions.
5.In a pan,heat oil,saute curryleaves,green chillies,garlic,ginger,onion.Add 1 tsp
coriander powder.
6.Add the cooked veg.s and fry for a minute.
7.Add this to the meat,and add the coconut milk(2nd and third extractions),1 cup of
water and bring to a boil.
8.Add the first extracted milk now.When the sides start boiling,add 2 tbsp vinegar.
Do not let it boil.
Take off the stove and serve hot.

Christmas/Rum Cake(Rich fruit cake):
------------------------------------

maida flour 1 cup
Baking powder 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder 1/4 teaspoon
Nutmeg powder 1/4 teaspoon
Cloves powder 1/4 teaspoon
Dry Ginger powder 1/4 teaspoon
Raisins 1/4 pound
Dates 1/4 pound
Candied fruits , Orange
and Lemon peel 1/4 cup
plum,cherry,cranberry,
other dried fruits 1/4 cup
Gold Rum 1/4 cup
chopped Cashews 1/2 cup
Butter 1/4 pound
Sugar 1 cup
Sugar 1/4 cup (To make caramelized sugar)
Eggs 3
Salt 1 teaspoon
Vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
almond essence 1 teaspoon
caraway seeds 1/4 teaspoon

Method:
1.Slice the dried fruits and coat them with 2 tablespoon

flour. Mix with rum and Keep this closed at room temperature

for one day.
2.Chop cashews and smear them with almond essence and keep

them also closed for one day.
3.Sift flour,baking powder ,Cinnamon powder ,Nutmeg powder

cloves powder ,Dry Ginger powder together 2-3 times.Add all

fruits,nuts,caraway seeds to the flour and mix well.
4. caramelize sugar in a heavy bottom pan.keep to cool.
5.Whisk the butter,then add sugar and whisk well until it is

creamy.
6.separate eggs to whites and yolk.
Now add the yolks and whisk well.
7. add flour to the whisked batter.mix thoroughly.
8.add caramelized sugar to this and again mix thoroughly.
9.whisk whites of eggs with vanilla and salt.Pour this to the
batter.
10.Grease a pan and line with parchment paper.pour batter
till half of pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 1-1
1/2 hrs.
11.Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a cooling
rack.when cooled smear with 2 tsp rum.cover the cake completely with wax paper first, and then with aluminum foil and keep in the refrigerator. use after one week.

Makes 1 loaf of cake.

Vattayappam
-----------

rice flour -- 2 cups
grated coconut -- 1 cup
sugar --1/2 cup
yeast --1 tsp
coconut milk -- as desired
salt -- a pinch
coconut water
egg whites--2
raisins

Grind coconut to a fine paste and mix with flour.Add coconut milk also.Mix yeast with warm water,coconut water and sugar in a cup and keep aside.It will rise after 10 min.s.Mix this with the dough.Add sugar and egg whites.Mix well and keep aside for rising.Grease a thali or shallow round vessel with oil/ghee and pour the batter.sprinkle a few raisins,cherries diced etc on top.Steam in a steam cooker.

Pazham pori
------------

nenthra pazham/ethakka(u can get them in Kerala stores)
maida/all purpose flour
sugar--2 tsp
pinch of turmeric
cumin seeds-a pinch
oil for deep fry

mix maida ,water,tumeric,cumin and sugar well.it should be thick (thick like ada maavu or thicker than idli maavu)mix well till all lumps are gone.if too thick,use more water,if loose,use more maida.adjust turmeric(just for the color) and sugar(for sweetness)
now slice the bananas longtitudinally and thin.
dip in the maavu ,it should be well coated.

heat a deep-fry pan,add oil,when it heats up well,put the pieces and fry them

Oldposts
//lunch
-----
appetizers:

home-made grape wine
rum cake(rich fruit cake)

1st course:

sweet bread
chicken pappaas
meat cutlet

2nd course:
sweet bread
pork vindaloo
liver roast

3rd course:

rice
meat chaaps
chicken korma
duck roast
fish curry
fish fry
cabbage thoren
kaalan
pickle
pappads
salad

dessert:
fruit salad/payasam

//

Does your family consist of people or elephants???

Oldposts
Dear Rakhi,
your menu details are vrry nice&your view is highly appreciable.Thanks for yr traditional recipe.happy christmas.

Oldposts
Hello Rakhi,

Great work. Looking forward to more great recipes!

Oldposts
Hi Rakhi,

Wish you and your family a Merry Christmas. Thank you for sharing with us your family tradition. I will look out for the recipes. Your recipe for Vellapam is very different. I will surely try it out.

Thank you,

Oldposts
rakhi,
thanks for this post. i was actually looking for traditional xmas bfast, lunch and dinner menu. life saver, thanks!

do you have a recipe for kuzhalappam?

any tips for easter?

also would like to know what's served for ramzan, eid and muharram. we run a restaurant and would like to have "thematic menus"

thanks!
shoba

Oldposts
Hi all, Just bcame very busy..
Shoba,I will post the menu for Easter shortly.
I will also post the quantity to be given for each item.
here's a duck recipe.:

DUCK ROAST
Duck - 1
for marination:
Salt
turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
red chilly powder - 11/2 tbsp
black pepper - 1tsp
ginger garlic paste -2 tbsp

red chilly - 5
garam masala -2 tbsp
coriander powder-4 tbsp
curry leaves - 2 big sprigs
onion -4 medium, cut into thin slices
oil - ½ cup
Potato ( small) - 6
cabbage leaves - washed/uncooked

Preparation Method
Skin and cut the duck .Wash well and squeeze thoroghly till all the water goes away.keep to drain.Marinate the duck as told above for some hours/overnight in fridge.

Pour oil and put the onion slices,curry leaves and saute well until it becomes transparent. Mix together all the masala with water into a paste form. Keep back on low heat and sauté the ingredients until the oil begin to separate. Crush the whole red chilly to flakes add them to the masala. Add the meat, lower the heat, cover and cook .cook the duck in a nonstick vessel at low heat adding hot water just for necessary.remember the end product has to be dry so adjust water accordingly,at same time not burning it.this comes with little practice only.
Uncover and cook for another 10 minutes if there is any water left.
On a frying pan pour oil and fry the meat until brown in colour and all the extra water disappear, or until the meat is almost dry. The masala should be poured on top of this and mix well.
GARNISHING
take a flat Dish, preferably a round large pie dish. arrange the cabbage leaves covering the entire dish, arrange the meat pieces in the center leaving a little space between dish and the meat, arrange the fried potatoes around the meat.

Oldposts
Mutta Kuzhalappam(love letter)

Maida-1 cup
egg(optional)-1
salt
water

grated coconut--1/2 cup
molasses(sarkara)--5-6 tbsp
cardamom-2
cumin seeds--1/2 tsp

method:
melt the molasses in a heavybottomed vessel by adding a little water.It should melt completely.as it boils,a froth appears.remove this.now add split cardamom and cumin seeds.take off heat.Let it cool and strain into a glass bottle.This can be kept in fridge and used as desired.never use molasses as such you get from the store.It contains lots of stones and other dirt.You can see it when you strain it.

make a batter of maida,egg,salt,water and make very thin small dosas.It should be as light as possible.heat a skillet and add coconut,molasses and stir well.u can use sugar instead of molasses as well.when it is sticky,take off stove.scoop a little of this mixture into each dosa and roll like a pipe.serve hot.

Oldposts
Rakhi, the recipe you gave for kuzhalappam appears to be that of "churutt" For kuzhalappam one needs an acchu, which is dipped in batter and fried similar to achchappam. The kuzhalappams are crispy, elongated versions of the folded love letters.

Any thoughts on this?

Shoba

Oldposts
Dear Shoba,
The churuttu you are spaeking of is different,but I don't know its recipe.It looks like samosa,but inside is a sugary kind of thing.This is popular in Kottayam side.
About the other kuzhalappam which is crispy,I had a recipe but never tried it.If I find it these days,I will post in this same thread.
<a name="last"></a>

Kavitha Ravi
25th December 2004, 06:03 AM
Dear Rakhi, do not worry about comments.
Keep posting your recipes.
they are great. Thanks

deepaen
1st January 2005, 07:03 AM
Dear Rakhi,
Do you have the recipe for sweet bread and meat chaps?
Thank you
Deepa

Rakhi
3rd January 2005, 01:00 AM
Hi all,
more recipes above will follow shortly.There is one correction I want to make.My measurings are only aprox. esp. for masalas.I go with the instinct kind of thing when it comes to cooking rather than measuring each and everything.It is a bad practice when u have to cook large quantities for parties,bcoz u are at a loss.but it is also good,meaning I dont need measuring cups and spoons and weighing machines if I have to cook for an emergency situation.the probl. is when it comes to writing down recipes,it is harder,bcoz I know some people follow recipes to the last letter.I wud suggest to go by ur tastes,when adding masalas.If u like too spicy food,u can go by my measurements,otherwise feel free to make small changes.Also the brand of masalas used also makes a lot of difference.'Periyar' brand chilli powder is different from 'Swad','Surya', "Lakshmi' or any other brand.The quantity has to be adjusted accordingly.Some are more spicy hot than others.In one,u may use only 1 tsp.but with the other,u may have to use 3tsp to get the same spiciness....if u know what I mean.

Again,I was only listing all kinds of traditional foods in our house ,but I meant only one of them at a time.For eg:tea time snacks should be read Pazham Pori OR mutta kuzhalappam OR......
and we used to(still do)celeberate in the 'Tharavadu' (Family house),like my grandma's house,and all the whole family get togther.all sons,their wives,inlaws,daughters,husbands,cousins,uncles,etc etc. including children coming to about 30-50 people.It is like a big Sadhya.
And also like a buffet system.we just have a taste of all the food.

so many meat dishes are used bcoz we fast for 25 days of Christmas abstaining from all kinds of nonveg including fish and eggs.Skip one meal a day.second meal should not equal twice the meal.So we celeberate it with making all kinds of meat we eat.
the wine is usually home made or custom ordered without additional alcohol added so that children can also take a sip.

Recipes of chaaps,pappas and others follow.Happy cooking.

Rakhi
3rd January 2005, 02:49 AM
Dear Deepa,I don't have a recipe for sweet bread bcoz we used to buy it.I am talking about the bread u get in Kerala shops which is white bread,slightly sweet,great with stews.
In USA,I have not seen this bread.U can use the regular white bread though,or buns or hotdog breads instead.U can also use Paalappam/Vellayappam if that was not made for breakfast.

I had been searching the internet for recipes of chaaps and pappaas for the past 2 years.This recipe is from my Aunt's cookbook.I think the original name is chops though.Chaaps is a local name maybe.

Meat Chaaps(meat Chops)
U can use mutton/beef/lamb/pork/veal.
Do not use stew meat as it is very soft and shreds off.
Cut meat pieces as thin slices 3 inches long and square shaped.

Ingredients
meat-1 kg
ginger -one small piece
onion -1 large
garlic -6 pods
green chillies -6
curryleaves
oil
chilli powder -1 tsp
turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
ground pepper -1/2 tsp
vinegar -2 tsp
yogurt-2 tbsp
salt
coconut milk-2 tbsp
spices to grind
cinnammon
cardamom
nutmeg
pepper
fennel
cloves
bay leaves

In a bowl, mix yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, powders and ground masalas,curry leaves and marinate meat chops in them.Keep 4-5 hrs.
Now pressure cook till done.Do not add water.Usually 4 whistles.In India,meat is more rough,so may take more whistles.
Heat a little oil in a shallow frying pan.
Shallow fry the mutton chops(few chops at a time) until browned on either side. Keep aside.
In the same oil,add chopped onions,ground ginger garlic,curry leaves and fry well.
At this point,u can add additional masala if needed.mix all powders and wet it slightly.Roast it well in the oil till aroma comes out.Now add chops and mix well.
After mixing for 3-4 minutes,take a little coconut milk and add it.mix again and add vinegar.Take off stove.Garnish with coriander leaves,onion rings and lemon wedges.Serve hot.

Rakhi
3rd January 2005, 03:03 AM
Meat Pappas(pappaas/mappas/mappaas)
==============================
Can use the same meats for chops.Chicken is done slightly different which I will post later.

Cut meat pieces as thin slices 3 inches long and square shaped.

Ingredients
========
meat-1 kg
ginger -one small piece
onion -1 large
garlic -6 pods
green chillies -6
curryleaves
oil
chilli powder -1 tsp
turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
ground pepper -1/2 tsp
vinegar -2 tsp
yogurt-2 tbsp
salt
coconut milk-1 cup

spices to grind
=========
cinnammon
cardamom
nutmeg
pepper
fennel
cloves
bay leaves
mustard
bark of drumstick tree(muringa tholi)

Grind all,add ginger-garlic paste and grind again with vinegar.

Pressure cook the meat adding all pastes same as in chops recipe.
Take a vessel,heat oil,add wet masala if desired and roast it.Add meat pieces,and mix well.Add coconut milk,vinegar,salt and when gravy is thick,remove from fire.

Rakhi
3rd January 2005, 03:17 AM
Kuzhalappam
==========
Here is the recipe for kuzhalappam which I hope is the one Shoba had asked.I have not tried this one.Please send feedback.

rice flour sifted-1 kg
red onion(shallots)-1 cup
garlic-1/4 cup
cumin-1 tsp
salt
cardamom-10gm
sugar-1/2kg
coconut-1 whole
sesame seeds-25 gm

Grind together very well coconut,onions,garlic,cardamom,sugar to a fine paste and add salt to taste.

Rice flour should be roasted well.

Mix flour and ground paste.Add sesame seeds and cumin seeds also.
Mix and knead well.Roll into small chappathis and paste two ends together,looking like a long cylinder.
deep fry in oil.wrap in paper towels.this stays for a long time.

Rakhi
3rd January 2005, 03:27 AM
Never tried this one.From my mom's secret recipe cookbook.

Grape wine
========
(seven bottles)
dark grapes-1 kg
sugar-2kg
yeast-2tsp
eggwhite-1
water-5 bottles
whole wheat grains-1 handful

Rub grapes with a wet cloth.
Then press it with hand.
Layer all ingredients in a large bottle.Add 1 kg sugar.and close well and keep.
Stir ingredients alternate days.
On 21st day,remove 1 cup sugar from the rest 1 kg sugar.add remaining sugar and stir well.
Caramelize the remaining 1 cup sugar.this is for colour.Add this to the mixture,stir well ,strain and pour into bottles.

Kavitha Ravi
9th January 2005, 09:03 AM
Dear Rahki,
Do you all make stuffed chicken roast for christmas?
If so do you have the recipe?
I would be grateful to have it.
Thanks.
Kavitha

rupa
31st January 2005, 06:45 PM
hi rakhi,
do u have a recipe for boti curry? (kudal curry)

Pearl
7th February 2005, 12:55 PM
Stuffed Roasted Chicken

1 whole chicken; 2 big onions finely minced; ¼ cup finely minced corriander leaves; 3-4 green chillies finely minced; Mint leaves 12-15 no.’s finely chopped;curry leaves few; Salt to taste; Pepper Pwd.- 1 tspn; Turmeric pwd –1/2 tspn; garam masala pwd ½ tspn; ginger/Garlic Paste 1tbspn; Mixed Vegetables finely chopped – 1 cup steamed & kept; minced mutton/beef –1/2 kg, heart/liver/gizzards finely minced;Oil –6-8 tbspns,; lime juice – 2-3 tbspns.

Heat oil &fry the minced onions, gr.chillies, coriander, curry leaves, mint leaves, when onions are turning brown add the pepper pwd, turmeric pwd, garam masala & salt & mix nicely, add the minced meat, liver/heart/gizzards minced & the par boiled vegetables & fryon low heat for 3-5 mins – remove from heat & leave to cool add lime juice and mix well.

In the meantime wash the chicken nicely inside & out, leave to drain-then stuff the chicken with the prepared stuffing from the bottom – seal the opening by stitching with a needle & twine. Tie the legs together, tie the neck & wings on the chest. Apply ghee or oil mixed with ½ tspn pepper powder& a little salt & rub all over the chickenliberally- bake in a moderately hot oven till chicken is tender & brown – turn over & brown – see that the chicken is brown & cooked on all sides- serve with fried Potatoes/ Onions/Ketchup

Pearl

Rakhi
22nd February 2005, 08:57 PM
To make kudal curry,here is one recipe my mother uses,though haven't tried it myself.

1.wash and clean thoroughly the meat.
2.pressure cook with salt,turmeric till done.
3.when cooled enough,cut into very small square pieces.
4.take 2 raw plantains,cut into square pieces also,and boil with the meat till done.
5.suate onions,ginger,garlic,chillies,curryy leaves in a pan.add lots of crushed fresh pepper.add meat masala(freshly grounded is preferable)add little water and suate well.
6.add this to the meat and sim on low heat till mixture is dry.
7.add 1tsp coconut milk and a drop of vinegarand mix well.serve hot.

rupa
1st March 2005, 01:39 PM
dear rakhi,
tks lot for that kudal curry. but i was looking for that central travancore style recipe which inculdes grinded fried grated cocunut (varutharachathu)
by the way do you have a recepe for karal curry? (beef liver) with cocunut milk added?
with rgds,
-rupa

Shoba
14th March 2005, 10:23 AM
Dear Rakhi,

The items on the traditional Xmas menu-would it be the same for Easter as well, except the Pesaha appam I suppose?

Would like to hear your thoughts on this, thanks!

Shoba

Rakhi
10th November 2005, 09:14 AM
hi shoba,
wasn't checking for a long time...
yes almost,except for cake,wine etc mostly duck roast is used on our side for Easter
easter menu(typical)
breakfast

idiyappam
egg curry
steamed banana
tea/coffee

lunch

sweet bread
duck roast
fish curry

rice
potti curry
fish curry(in milk)
pappas
liver fry/fish fry/beef fry
thoren
kaalan
pickle
pappads
salad

dessert
fruit salad/payasam

tea-time
--------
pazham pori(banana roast)/
mutta kuzhalappam(love letter)/
vattayappam,achappam,unniyappam etc

RedPepper
11th November 2005, 08:55 PM
I would like to know what is potti curry. Also, do u have a recipe for kuzhalappam? Thanks in advance.

mss
10th December 2005, 11:28 AM
Hi,
Please could someone give me the recipe for 'achappam'? Thanks in advance.

vizmaya
17th December 2005, 09:35 AM
Christmas menu:

1.Home made wine and rum Fruit cake.

2.Chicken cutlet/Fish cutlet

3.Pallappam/Vella appam and chicken curry/veg curry.

4.Chicken istu/veg istu

5.Vatayappam

6.Fried rice and chilli chicken

7.Chicken fry

8.Fish fry.

9.Caremel pudding.