Let's discuss about Captaincy trends.

imsai
1st December 2006, 11:58 AM
some consider vaughen as the best, but I think he's over-rated

Stephen Fleming :razz:

Thirumaran
1st December 2006, 11:59 AM
Rahul Dravid :lol2:

The tactic they use nowadays is very brilliant..

2nd one day.. when gambir out for a duck in the first over itself, sending a totally out of form Kaif in 1st down. Wow :clap:

In 3rd one day, when SA were going over indian attacker after 7/120 or so never thought of giving the spell to sachin who is one of the very experienced in bowling too. That too when he conceded only 13 runs from 3 overs :evil:

There are several other to mention :P My vote for Rahul dravid :thumbsup:

rockydeva
2nd December 2006, 02:43 PM

The tactic they use nowadays is very brilliant..

2nd one day.. when gambir out for a duck in the first over itself, sending a totally out of form Kaif in 1st down. Wow :clap:

In 3rd one day, when SA were going over indian attacker after 7/120 or so never thought of giving the spell to sachin who is one of the very experienced in bowling too. That too when he conceded only 13 runs from 3 overs :evil:

There are several other to mention :P My vote for Rahul dravid :thumbsup:

You critisicing dravid or appreciate him,i dont under stand,sending out of form Kaif for 1st wicket is the ruthless decition,out of form palyer for a crucial possition???

rockydeva
2nd December 2006, 02:44 PM
my vote for stephan fleming,bcoz for his braveness,with out having star players he still maintaining his team

We cant even think a team with out him for NZ

villan007
5th December 2006, 08:18 AM
S.Fleming :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
5th December 2006, 07:49 PM
Ponting is the best. but he is noswhere near steve waugh

Thirumaran
6th December 2006, 02:46 PM

You critisicing dravid or appreciate him,i dont under stand,sending out of form Kaif for 1st wicket is the ruthless decition,out of form palyer for a crucial possition???

See the emoticon :wink:

Raghu
6th December 2006, 04:31 PM
i also vote for the Kiwi Captain, but as young Stand in Captain, Mahel Jayawardene has been excellent!

shajith1994
4th June 2010, 02:08 AM
Stephen Fleming :thumbsup:

Kalyasi
4th June 2010, 02:29 AM
Dhoni kaadha?

VinodKumar's
4th June 2010, 02:30 AM
Thread started BD (Before Dhoni)

MADDY
9th July 2010, 06:49 AM
Thread started BD (Before Dhoni)

:lol: :clap:

Wibha
9th July 2010, 06:56 AM
Dravid :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

VinodKumar's
9th July 2010, 07:18 AM
Dravid :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Do you aware of Dravid captaincy stats :evil: ?

For those who laughed at Dravid captaincy

* Rahul Dravid led India to a historic Test series win, against the West Indies in their home soil in 2006. Since 1971, India had never won a Test series in the West Indies. This is also their first prominent series win outside the Indian subcontinent (barring the win against Zimbabwe in 2005) since 1986.

* Under Dravid's captaincy the Indian team tied the previous record of most consecutive One-Day International wins for an Indian team thus equalling the record run that the Indian team had achieved under Sourav Ganguly in the 2003 World Cup in South Africa (8). This was later bested by Mahendra Singh Dhoni who led Indian team to 9 consecutive victories in 2008-2009.

* During his captaincy the Indian team broke the 14 match West Indies record for most consecutive won matches in One-Day Internationals while chasing a total. For this 17 match run, Dravid was the captain for 15 matches and Sourav Ganguly was the captain for the other two. This streak was broken on 20 May 2006, when India lost to the West Indies by one run, at Sabina Park, Jamaica.

* Rahul Dravid is the first captain to lead India to a Test match victory against South Africa on South African soil

* He became only the third captain from India to win a Test series in England. This feat was achieved after 21 years. The other two captains being Kapil Dev (1986) and Ajit Wadekar (1971).

Courtesy - Wikipedia

Here are the numbers

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2007/sep/15stats.htm

He is not the best but at the same time there is nothing to laugh at his captaincy.

You can also see the criticism on Dravid captaincy in wikipedia.

Plum
9th July 2010, 11:30 AM
Ponting is the best. but he is noswhere near steve waugh

kalyasi, ivar mEla oru fatwa issue paNNanum :evil:

Plum
9th July 2010, 11:32 AM
Dravid in 2006 ala periya thEvar
"innikku nAn vidhaikkarEn. nALaikku Em pEran saapduvAn".

Rahul Dravid will never be truly appreciated for what he was. He wasnt a great captain but he set several things right including personally grooming the likes of Suresh Raina, for which he will never get credit.

raajarasigan
9th July 2010, 11:34 AM
Hansie Cronje is the best I have ever seen... under his captaincy only, SA started dominating World Cricket.... (started watching cricket from 1992)... next comes Stephen and Steve....

raajarasigan
9th July 2010, 11:35 AM
Dravid in 2006 ala periya thEvar
"innikku nAn vidhaikkarEn. nALaikku Em pEran saapduvAn".

Rahul Dravid will never be truly appreciated for what he was. He wasnt a great captain but he set several things right including personally grooming the likes of Suresh Raina, for which he will never get credit.The problem with Dravid is, he is NOT very aggressive.. He and Azhar wait for things to happen... whereas SG / Dhoni / other great captains will make things to happen...

Plum
9th July 2010, 12:06 PM
Might be true, that. Maybe Dravid is less suited to be captain and maybe he'll make a better coach (as he is a strategist rather than a tactician or a motivator). I dont think Dhoni/Ganguly will make great coaches.

raghavendran
9th July 2010, 12:48 PM
obviously stephen fleming....dada ganguly peyar enge :shock:

Dinesh84
9th July 2010, 01:01 PM
obviously stephen fleming....dada ganguly peyar enge :shock: yes.. but Andrew Flintoff name ellam irukku,, :shock:

Plum
9th July 2010, 01:04 PM
Guys, looks like the poll was about who was the best among the incumbent captains during the period the poll was set-up hence Inzamam, Flintoff etc(Althouh I wonder how Lara came into the list)

Sourav
9th July 2010, 01:14 PM
expired thread.... so.... :lock: :lol2:
aratha pazhaya thread ellam yaaruppa revive panrathu... :twisted:

poll qn: who is the current best captain...
but, options-la current-aa captain-a irukkurathu ponting mattum than...athukkaka avanukka vote poda mudiynggg.... :lol2:

19thmay
9th July 2010, 05:15 PM
Yei! Yaarupa pazhasellam kelaruraradhu? :lol:

Kudos to the thread author,good topic. :notworthy: :clap:

Guys, looks like the poll was about who was the best among the incumbent captains during the period the poll was set-up hence Inzamam, Flintoff etc(Althouh I wonder how Lara came into the list)

Why? He was the captain at that time. :?

Plum
9th July 2010, 05:32 PM
Was he? I cant remember if Lara was captain when Flintoff and Jayawardene were.

Dinesh84
9th July 2010, 05:55 PM

:evil: :bangcomp: for not including Ganguly and other muNNal captains..

19thmay
9th July 2010, 06:43 PM

:evil: Who is the best captain is the title, this thread was created in 2006, at that time Dravid was the captain. :evil:

Plum,

Lara was the captain at that time, remember WC-2007.

Sourav
9th July 2010, 07:45 PM
old poll deleted...

new poll options...

Who is the current best captain...

R Ponting (Aus)
A Strauss(Eng)
MS Dhoni (Ind)
D Vetori (Nz)
S Afridi (Pak)
K Sangakara (SL)
G Smith (SA)
C Gayle (WI)
Other

Rajaruud
9th July 2010, 07:46 PM
Dhoni :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
9th July 2010, 07:49 PM
Stephen Roger Waugh

VinodKumar's
9th July 2010, 08:01 PM
Might be true, that. Maybe Dravid is less suited to be captain and maybe he'll make a better coach (as he is a strategist rather than a tactician or a motivator). I dont think Dhoni/Ganguly will make great coaches.

Captain solluratha ketkura coach nu solluvaanga. Avar vilayandina mattum pothum. :yes:

Plum
9th July 2010, 08:02 PM

:evil: Who is the best captain is the title, this thread was created in 2006, at that time Dravid was the captain. :evil:

Plum,

R
Lara was the captain at that time, remember WC-2007.

Right, I remember now. indha thread creator nejamAve periya thillAlangadi dhAn Sang..er..19th May..othukkarEn!

m_karthik
9th July 2010, 10:28 PM
Indha poll ah mattum eppadi 16 options irukku?? :think:

Sourav
10th July 2010, 09:14 AM
i asked nov to edit the poll to current captains, but, it has messed up wih old poll options... couldn't edit... athan ipdi...

m_karthik
10th July 2010, 09:40 AM
// Dig

Nanri Sourav
Idhey madhiri matha polls kum pannina niraya option kidaikumae.. :idea: :ashamed:

Bugs ah sadhagama use pannikiradhudhaanae Software pasangalukku azhagu

Dig//

Vivasaayi
10th July 2010, 10:16 AM
i voted for dhoni and it dint go for dhoni :mad:

ajithfederer
10th July 2010, 10:21 AM
No steve waugh in the list???

Raikkonen
11th July 2010, 02:10 PM
vijaykanth.

Rocky89
12th July 2010, 03:11 AM
vijaykanth.

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl3:

Bala (Karthik)
12th July 2010, 04:41 AM
:rotfl:

Siv.S
12th July 2010, 10:23 AM
vijaykanth.
:rotfl3:

19thmay
12th July 2010, 10:53 AM
vijaykanth.

:rotfl2:

And your avatar and siggi :rotfl3:

VinodKumar's
12th July 2010, 10:55 AM
vijaykanth.

:rotfl3: :rotfl3: :rotfl3:

raajarasigan
12th July 2010, 12:08 PM
i voted for dhoni and it dint go for dhoni :mad:en vote daniel vettorikku.... appadinna naan yaarukku vote podanum... :roll:

mnaren555
16th July 2010, 03:29 PM
i voted for dhoni and it dint go for dhoni :mad:me too....

engayo sathi nadakuthu :twisted:

smith s my next choice.....

Nerd
16th July 2010, 07:39 PM
vijaykanth.
:rotfl3: :thumbsup:

Plum
6th January 2011, 11:31 AM
Cricket is a game where captains play a big role and have the opportunity to make an impact on the game with decisions during the game. Let's use this thread to capture instances of good and bad captaincy and discuss trends...

Plum
6th January 2011, 11:31 AM
Note: No points for creating a good team environment, motivational speeches etc

Plum
6th January 2011, 11:35 AM
[tscii:f7fdc45e3e] Prem Panicker on general defensive trend among current captains (http://prempanicker.wordpress.com/)

the rival captains, both of whom appear too conscious of the risk of losing and not sufficiently aware of the glory of a win. Make no mistake, both Dhoni and Smith would like a win on their resume in this battle between the nominal numbers 1 and 2 of Test cricket — but their intent, first last and always, is to ensure against defeat.

On Smith:

That trait was in evidence when on the third day Smith, for all his pre-series bombast about flat track bullies, inexplicably spread the field out wide when Harbhajan joined Tendulkar at the crease and showed a sign of intent. That defensiveness contrasted inexplicably with the show his premier fast bowler had put on all day, in what more than one commentator is calling the spell from hell. (If you haven’t already, stop right here and read Aakash Chopra on Dale Steyn).

On Dhoni:

Today, it was Dhoni’s turn. South Africa started at 52/2; within 11 deliveries, Petersen was gone. In the next over, Amla was back in the hut. Harbhajan had finally found conditions that negated his hatred of the Kookkaburra — a wicket with bounce and turn, a perfect patch just outside the right hander’s off stump on length and an opposition that, judged by the way they were batting, were in panic mode. Kallis — did we mention his injured rib? — had to do something to break free; he opted for the reverse sweep as his weapon of choice, and hit it perfectly. Once.

A fielding captain at that point could have thought, right, so Kallis wants to try and sweep a spinner on top of his game bowling with a hard, relatively new ball, out of the rough, on a wicket with unpredictable turn and bounce — good luck to him. He could have moved a fielder into place for the top edge, and taken on the challenge. Dhoni, however, backed off — the fielder who had gone to retrieve the ball was stationed there permanently after just one shot. And with that, with the instinctive defensiveness which characterized the immediate spreading of the field, he and the team lost the iron grip they had taken on the game.

In that, he outdid Smith — and his team could still pay a heavy price for that moment.

Reference point for days gone by:

While talking of spinners and modern captains, Bishen Singh Bedi once told me a story about the Nawab of Pataudi, who turns 70 today. Bedi spoke of how, on a tour by Australia, Ian Chappell was handling the Indian spinners with consummate ease. In one Test, Chappell had just come out to bat, and Bedi got the ball. Pat set the regulation field — point, cover, mid off. Bedi asked for cover to be moved to a widish extra cover, opening up a huge gap. He bowled, Chappell drove — through that gap, for four. Rinse, repeat two more times. Off the fourth ball, Chappell drove, missed as the ball spun past the bat, and was stumped. “I wanted him to play that shot; I fed it but each time, I pulled the length short by a fraction. The fourth ball, I held it back a bit more, Chappell was drawn forward and beaten. Today? After that first four, the captain would have sent a man out to the ‘sweeper’ position.”[/tscii:f7fdc45e3e]

Plum
6th January 2011, 11:37 AM
Defensive India pay the price (http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2010/content/current/story/495554.html)

This series will be remembered for many high-quality passages of play both with the bat and the ball - moments, spell, hours, days of individual brilliance - but for every such passage you will find uninspiring spells of defensive captaincy from both camps

In the second, with batting even more difficult, and with Tendulkar having to struggle for longer than Kallis did, it took just one six from Harbhajan Singh for Smith to spread the field out. And this when Dale Steyn was bowling one of the spells of our times.

Dhoni might just end up with the last word here, though, with what could be a decisive show of defensive captaincy on the fourth day. It was quite extraordinary that an injured Kallis walked out in the second innings, with the score effectively reading 51 for 3, soon to become 62 for 4, with a long-on in place. Harbhajan, at that moment, was exploiting the rough outside off appreciably. His bowling figures were 4 for 10, and Kallis was starting out on a fresh innings. Soon Kallis reverse-swept him, a brilliant, calculated shot all right, but one that involved risk. The man that went from short third man to collect the ball from the boundary was asked to stay back there. After just one boundary. In a remarkable show of following the ball, that deep fielder kept moving to wherever the previous shot went, and Kallis had established the psychological upper hand already.

Plum
6th January 2011, 11:39 AM
This is not just a one-off phenomenon with Dhoni.

It was quite similar to what India did to Thilan Samaraweera in the deciding Test of their Sri Lanka tour earlier this year. On the fourth day at the P Sara Oval, India had taken five second-innings wickets for 24 runs, reducing Sri Lanka to effectively 76 for 7, and Samaraweera was 4 when Lasith Malinga came out to join him. It took one boundary from him to open up the easy-single route to sweeper-cover, and another hit over mid-off to spread the field for good. The last three wickets then added 180 runs, and it took special innings from VVS Laxman and Tendulkar to level the series.

Plum
6th January 2011, 11:40 AM
The only consolation for Dhoni is that he is not alone and everyone does the same:

Sadly, as Smith and other modern captains have shown over the years, this is not a problem with India and Dhoni alone. The moment they see a lesser batsman, they choose to attack only one of the two men batting, and invariably they get only two balls an over where they are actually trying to take wickets. Boucher, one of the beneficiaries of India's defensive field-sets, gave an insight into modern captains' mindsets. "Not really [not surprised at those fields]," he said. "We have been in that situation as well before. I came out looking to play aggressively, I had an aggressive mindset. I think in the back of a captain's mind, you don't want to give away many boundaries. If there's stuff happening out there, you'd rather have catchers and in-and-out fields. Like I said, to protect the boundaries, and make the guys work the singles."

MADDY
6th January 2011, 11:44 AM
another one of ridicule threadS?? :roll:

naanum, federer, sachinkkellam aarambikkanum pola - aana namalaala hate choosave mudiyaadhe hmmm :?

Plum
6th January 2011, 11:50 AM
Maddy, idhellAm nadandha vishayathai record paNdradhu dhAnE...
idhellAm nadakkalaingarIngaLA?

I am tired of marubadiyum modhallErundhu every time this argument crops up. Dhoni's on field captaincy is defensive, and many times, we win because of individual brilliance that out-guns the constraints due to this defensive mindset.

adhu pOga, Dhoni is not alone in this. All captains seem to be like that so I guess this is a trend today. ellAthaiyum capture paNNalAm

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:03 PM
It seems cricinfo, Prem Panicker et al also dont have a "Love All" policy and are spreading hate for Dhoni...

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 12:04 PM
Plum, there was a thread for discussing about captains right? Why a new thread here :?

MADDY
6th January 2011, 12:04 PM
Cricinfo dhoni-a thittrapo nallavanga, illaina sonam, deepika padukone madhiri klamor kurls :P

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:07 PM
Cricinfo dhoni-a thittrapo nallavanga, illaina sonam, deepika padukone madhiri klamor kurls :P

epporuL yAr yAr vAi kEtpinum...

Do you think they have an agenda against Dhoni? Generally, any sort of agenda is possible with cricinfo so I wont rule that out but andha matterla poruL kuRRam EdhAvadhu irukkA? andha vishayathukku nInga varavE illaiyE?

LM, engE irukku? merge paNNidunga

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 12:15 PM
Merged with the captaincy thread started earlier.

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks LM.

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:17 PM
Poll reset paNNa mudiyumA?

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 12:18 PM
Sorry, forgot to take note of the poll and options. Could you pls post the options again?

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:24 PM
Who is the best on-field strategist among current international captains?
Kumar Sangakarra, gunduchattila kudhiraikArA
Shakib Al Hasan, delikate possisan
Andrew Strauss, the touch of midas?
Ricky Ponting, fingers pointing?
Mahi, The Dhoni;
Graeme Smith, the mega monolith
Daniel Vettori, What a story!
Pakistan ka kapthaan;na tum jAnO na hum

19thmay
6th January 2011, 12:25 PM

No No as the thread owner, I am against this! 4 varushathukku munnadi oru innocent, innocent-a aarambicha thread, idhula oruthar game aada try panraar. :evil:

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:28 PM
19th - discussions related to cricket captains dhAnE post paNNi irukkEn?

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 12:33 PM

No No as the thread owner, I am against this! 4 varushathukku munnadi oru innocent, innocent-a aarambicha thread, idhula oruthar game aada try panraar. :evil:

Sorry Sridhar, I didn't have any other option. In fact, I was about to ask PR to rename this thread for continuing discussions regarding captains.

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:34 PM
ennanga nethi pottula gun vechu merge paNNA mAdhiri solRInga? :shock:

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 12:36 PM
[tscii]MSD plays into the African hands (http://www.bangaloremirror.com/artic...can-hands.html)

The day after he produced a spell that got him a five-for including a magic delivery that he calls the best he’s ever bowled, he wakes up in the morning, pulls out the morning issue of the Cape Times from under his door and reads the first paragraph of the leading story on the front page.

“At seven minutes past noon on the second day of the final Castle Test Series match of the summer yesterday, Lonwabe Tsotsobe turned to Sreesanth, who had come in with a gunslinger’s walk to give the batsman a few words, possibly along the lines of the trash he had spoken to Graeme Smith at Kingsmead last week. Tsotsobe, like his captain, was not in the mood to take any lip from the bad boy of the series, and lifted his bat and pointed at him.”

Let’s get some things right. There are few angels in any sport, including cricket. And Graeme Smith and Co. are definitely not amongst them. They have never been. Where were these people when Andre Nel was “talking trash” to the Indian captain Sourav Ganguly nine years ago.

Or when Alan Donald let loose on Rahul Dravid when hit over the head for a six. Well, at that time it was “natural aggression,” “mental disintegration” or any of its other variants. It’s safe to say that hypocrisy is truly alive and well.

Given his track record, Sreesanth is an easy guy to target. Predictably, they have done so. If Sreesanth’s behaviour was bad, Smith ranting about it was worse. But the worst was still to come. MS Dhoni has done few things wrong as captain. But this time, he has done the unpardonable. Publicly condemning your own player is not on, not as teammate and definitely not as Captain.

A leader needs to sort his player out behind closed doors, in private. Doing so in public shows poor leadership skills and an admission to having failed to manage him. If Sreesanth doesn’t listen to Dhoni, it speak as poorly of the captain as the player involved. I am sorry Mr. Dhoni, by speaking against Sreesanth in front of the media, you have played straight into the South African’s hands. And, you may not realise it now and you definitely won’t hear from any of your buddies in the team, deep down most of them would have lost a bit of respect for you. They would know that, if ever they were to be on your wrong side, you won’t stand up for them. It’s the trust and respect you would find hard to earn back.

Not this one

As I said earlier, it’s not easy to be Shanthakumaran Sreesanth. Playing in a foreign country, fighting for a place in the side, bowling against a very good batting line up, taunted by the crowds, attacked by the opposition captain, ridiculed by the media, isolated by your own teammates, and with no support from your captain. It’s a situation that can break any man.

But not this break dancer. With everything stacked against him, he took the second new ball and bowled as well as anyone ever has at the Newlands in Capetown, putting his team into a position of strength in the all important deciding test match. We all know that Sreesanth can be a bit of an ass sometimes. But, by rising above all these challenges thrown at him, he has won a new fan in me and, I suspect, thousands others across the country. Well done Sree. May you bowl like this for years to come.

Exactly my thoughts. Surprised to see this from Dhoni.

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 12:40 PM
ennanga nethi pottula gun vechu merge paNNA mAdhiri solRInga? :shock:

:lol: :notthatway: Indha thread-ladhaane munnaiye captaincy patthi pesittu irundhom :)

19thmay
6th January 2011, 12:41 PM
LM,

You, me and everyone knew the reason for the revival or merging with this thread. Apparam unga ishtam.

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:43 PM
I think this is, sadly, the lot of Sreesanth. I dont think Dhoni would have let rip against a RP Singh or ofcourse, Harbhajan Singh, who has been obnoxious several times under Dhoni's watch.

There is discrimination against Sreesanth, maybe because of his attitude. I do understand Dhoni's position, and sympathise but he could have done the berating in private.

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:44 PM
LM,

You, me and everyone knew the reason for the revival or merging with this thread. Apparam unga ishtam.

What reason? Let's get this straight. Hidden Allegations don't help/

raajarasigan
6th January 2011, 12:46 PM
[tscii:0789c18c8b]
As I said earlier, it’s not easy to be Shanthakumaran Sreesanth. Playing in a foreign country, fighting for a place in the side, bowling against a very good batting line up, taunted by the crowds, attacked by the opposition captain, ridiculed by the media, isolated by your own teammates, and with no support from your captain. It’s a situation that can break any man.

But not this break dancer. With everything stacked against him, he took the second new ball and bowled as well as anyone ever has at the Newlands in Capetown, putting his team into a position of strength in the all important deciding test match. We all know that Sreesanth can be a bit of an ass sometimes. But, by rising above all these challenges thrown at him, he has won a new fan in me and, I suspect, thousands others across the country. Well done Sree. May you bowl like this for years to come. :clap: Let him be the loosu payan / bad boy / whatever.. as long as he is performing / taking wickets, I suffort him.,..[/tscii:0789c18c8b]

MADDY
6th January 2011, 12:47 PM
sridhar, 20 varusham kazhichhu paatha, neenga dhaan dhoni-a bash panna threat aarambichha madhiri fact establish aayidum :P .........JK, we all know intentions of everyone involved including mine - so dont worry :D ...........

to the topic - Andrew strauss has impressed me immensely this year with a amazing squad........as far as Dhoni, i keep repeating, he is well past his shelf life - Sehwag as captain for tests, Gambhir for ODIs and kohli for T20s is the right way to go otherwise we would lose a good keeper called Dhoni in this process..........adhuku appram ellam goal keepers dhaan irukkaanga

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:51 PM
This is not Dhoni bashing. This is just discussing facts. Facts-ai refute paNNa mudiyAdhavanga take recourse to allegations.

MADDY
6th January 2011, 12:53 PM
idhu dhaane transcript illa vera edhavadhu irukka??

DURBAN: Indian captain MS Dhoni feels that it was important to keep S Sreesanth 'under control' for India to stage a comeback in the series.

"I think it's important to keep him under control. It's good for him, for us, for the opponents, for the umpires, for the board and for the spectators," Dhoni jokingly remarked, drawing heaps of laughter from the assembled mediapersons.

Did Sreesanth's 'over aggression' help the team? "There is nothing called over aggression till you don't cross the limit. There are guidelines which need to be followed. You need to be yourself but at the same time shouldn't get into others' space."

The skipper also revealed that he had asked Sreesanth to complete his overs in good time. "I told him that if he would take 7-8 minutes in bowling one over then I would not give him the ball. But he was OK in Durban."

Dhoni recalled that at one point, India were way behind the over rate in the first Test. "I had to get in part-timers to finish the quota. Suresh Raina went for more than 70 in 7 overs but I had no option."

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:54 PM
Andrew Strauss - another captain who is reaping the benefits of a good team that takes care of itself, and a huge support staff. Extremely defensive minded, and committed all mistakes discussed in the context of Dhoni and Smith above. Rates well below Dhoni. If Dhoni had even one bowler like Tremlett, we are assured of historic wins in all continents

MADDY
6th January 2011, 12:55 PM
This is not Dhoni bashing. This is just discussing facts. Facts-ai refute paNNa mudiyAdhavanga take recourse to allegations.

Plum, quoting smith here - we all have been here for too long to each one's intentions - so kaadhula poo suthha yaaravadhu pudhu hubbers thedikkonga :D

Plum
6th January 2011, 12:57 PM
Maddy, may I then say that your intention is to block any discussion on Dhoni's tactics, and keep working at meta level to divert the discussion on actual tactics to discussions on intentions of people who raise those points - because you know you cannot refute the errors of Dhoni?

MADDY
6th January 2011, 12:58 PM
i think sreesanth had told something personal to Smith - amma, akka stuff......smith went directly to SA board which went to pawar and dhoni shuld have got the firing.........how can u support personal remarks on family etc when u r not steve waugh supporting mcgrath - remba kashtam.......dhoni has done wat every team lead in SW would have done - thappe illa......personal abuses ellam across the teams condemn pannanum

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 01:00 PM
i think sreesanth had told something personal to Smith - amma, akka stuff......smith went directly to SA board which went to pawar and dhoni shuld have got the firing.........how can u support personal remarks on family etc when u r not steve waugh supporting mcgrath - remba kashtam.......dhoni has done wat every team lead in SW would have done - thappe illa......personal abuses ellam across the teams condemn pannanum

Come on Maddy, do you really think a captain is right when he gives a public dressing down to a team mate? Aren't these things supposed to be behind the doors of Pavilion?

MADDY
6th January 2011, 01:00 PM
Maddy, may I then say that your intention is to block any discussion on Dhoni's tactics, and keep working at meta level to divert the discussion on actual tactics to discussions on intentions of people who raise those points - because you know you cannot refute the errors of Dhoni?

dharalaama sollikonga - en kitta yen ketkureenga.......aana indha honest-a dhoni criticise panra naadagam ellam podadhinga-nnu dhaan solren.........sagikkala

directhit
6th January 2011, 01:01 PM
Exactly my thoughts. Surprised to see this from Dhoni. i'd be very surprised if he asked him to cut down on all that.. looks very much like a media built story. Guess he did get the stick on over rates which yes needs to addressed. MSD is not a gandhi captain who wud ask to cut down on speech, he was the one who got Robin Uthappa (coz he can speak better) to stand in front of the batsmen to sledge them in T20 WC or some other tournament...

MADDY
6th January 2011, 01:03 PM

Come on Maddy, do you really think a captain is right when he gives a public dressing down to a team mate? Aren't these things supposed to be behind the doors of Pavilion?

"It's quite difficult to control Sreesanth. Hopefully, he will be on the right side this time, and if he's suppose to say something, say something that's not very personal and to the point," the Indian captain said.

"When you are representing your country, you try your best to win games, but as I always say, certain guidelines need to be followed. You always have to be on the right side of that line,"

Plum
6th January 2011, 01:03 PM

dharalaama sollikonga - en kitta yen ketkureenga.......aana indha honest-a dhoni criticise panra naadagam ellam podadhinga-nnu dhaan solren.........sagikkala

sagikalanu vandhuttA, attempts to shield Dhoni from any criticism masquerading as "love all" policy is also dhAn sagikkala. adhukkenna paNna mudiyin?

directhit
6th January 2011, 01:04 PM

Come on Maddy, do you really think a captain is right when he gives a public dressing down to a team mate? Aren't these things supposed to be behind the doors of Pavilion? idhu eppo.. andha press conference solreengalaa :?

MADDY
6th January 2011, 01:05 PM

sagikalanu vandhuttA, attempts to shield Dhoni from any criticism masquerading as "love all" policy is also dhAn sagikkala. adhukkenna paNna mudiyin?

neenga enna pannanum, sollanum-nnu neenga dhaan decide pannanum

Plum
6th January 2011, 01:05 PM
Harbhajan Singh-ai Teri Maa KikE defend paNNina board idhukkE dhoni-ya sreesanth vishayathula nerukkichhunnA nambarA mAdhiryA irukku?

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 01:06 PM

Come on Maddy, do you really think a captain is right when he gives a public dressing down to a team mate? Aren't these things supposed to be behind the doors of Pavilion? idhu eppo.. andha press conference solreengalaa :?

Press conference and I also heard that Dhoni was angrily talking to Sreesanth during the match.

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 01:07 PM

"It's quite difficult to control Sreesanth. Hopefully, he will be on the right side this time, and if he's suppose to say something, say something that's not very personal and to the point," the Indian captain said.

"When you are representing your country, you try your best to win games, but as I always say, certain guidelines need to be followed. You always have to be on the right side of that line,"

How is this a relevant answer to my question :? Why can't he tell all this to Sreesanth in dressing room? Smith must be smirking seeing all this.

MADDY
6th January 2011, 01:08 PM
SA board-BCCI relationship
Aus board - BCCI relationship neraya dibarent irukku

infact as countries,India-SA are very cordial, even ball tampering allegations on Sachin reached PM levels-nnu sollirukaanga..........SA board mattaya madangittangale.........idhellam onnum pudhusu illa

directhit
6th January 2011, 01:08 PM
Press conference and I also heard that Dhoni was angrily talking to Sreesanth during the match. press conf (i beleive it was just for fun and more serious on the over rates stuff) was after 1st test illayaa... after that sree continued abusing and taking wickets :lol: in both 2nd and 3rd tests...

oh regd the match thing gotto check h/l etc - 3rd test?

P_R
6th January 2011, 01:09 PM
yEn jaNda varisai maadhiri, ellA kapthaan pErum dabil dabilA irukku, poll-la ?

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 01:10 PM
[tscii:cc3b4f500a]I never abused anyone.all I did is to say some sarcastic comments to make the batsman upset..I just got targeted coz. Iam doing well??omg .

about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Sreesanth in twitter. Seems like what Dileep Ramachandran posted is true. [/tscii:cc3b4f500a]

Plum
6th January 2011, 01:11 PM
BCCI-SACB - Dominant Husband - Meek Wife
BCCI - Aus - (Unprintable) Relationship. Hand-in-hand describes it mildly.

BCCI can ride roughshod over SACB, and do, when required.

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 01:11 PM
Press conference and I also heard that Dhoni was angrily talking to Sreesanth during the match. press conf (i beleive it was just for fun and more serious on the over rates stuff) was after 1st test illayaa... after that sree continued abusing and taking wickets :lol: in both 2nd and 3rd tests...

oh regd the match thing gotto check h/l etc - 3rd test?

Yes, third test. And I don't think what Dhoni said was just for fun.

Plum
6th January 2011, 01:12 PM
[tscii:95f51efe90]I never abused anyone.all I did is to say some sarcastic comments to make the batsman upset..I just got targeted coz. Iam doing well??omg .

Sreesanth in twitter. Seems like what Dileep Ramachandran posted is true. [/tscii:95f51efe90]

avan nallavannu avanE sollittAn, LM?

directhit
Why can't he tell all this to Sreesanth in dressing room? Smith must be smirking seeing all this. IF (thts a big IF considering what comes in our Indian media) MSD did give a dressing down to sreesanth based on Smith's complaint to the board, i'd be disappointed at Dhoni... I'd rather go the Ranatunga way of taking my team out of the ground when BS happens..

if what sree did was wrong, what abt Steyn speaking to sachin/SA (smith himself) going mad at Bajji's bowled/bail not removed dismissal/Harris kept on speaking nonsense... dhandathukku oru 10% fine vera pannanga..

P_R
avvaLavA details theriyAdhu (as eesuval) but if he had indeed pulled up Sreesanth in public then :clap: to Dhoni.

littlemaster1982

Paarthu edit pannunga :P

MADDY
6th January 2011, 01:13 PM
LM, idhukku dhaan threat merge panneengala - idhukku Plum thread-laye irundhirukkalam, avaravadhu edho technical-a pesinaaru :lol:

anyways, i really dont find anything wrong in dhonis' speech, sometimes its nice to maintain some standards and i dont belive sreesanth a bit..........

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 01:13 PM
[tscii:aae2f69a0a]I never abused anyone.all I did is to say some sarcastic comments to make the batsman upset..I just got targeted coz. Iam doing well??omg .

Sreesanth in twitter. Seems like what Dileep Ramachandran posted is true. [/tscii:aae2f69a0a]

This corroborates to what Dileep had posted. So I'm inclined to believe what Sree says here.

raajarasigan
6th January 2011, 01:14 PM
yEn jaNda varisai maadhiri, ellA kapthaan pErum dabil dabilA irukku, poll-la ?உங்களத்தானே நம்பனும்.. எங்களுக்கு உங்கள விட்டா வேற யாரு இருக்காங்க..

littlemaster1982
LM, idhukku dhaan threat merge panneengala - idhukku Plum thread-laye irundhirukkalam, avaravadhu edho technical-a pesinaaru :lol:

Puriyala :?

anyways, i really dont find anything wrong in dhonis' speech, sometimes its nice to maintain some standards and i dont belive sreesanth a bit..........

I'm not surprised :)

directhit
Yes, third test. And I don't think what Dhoni said was just for fun. it wasnt a public bashing illaya.. ofcourse i am not saying MS approves whtever sree does...

[tscii:3d9bd5c058]I never abused anyone.all I did is to say some sarcastic comments to make the batsman upset..I just got targeted coz. Iam doing well??omg .

Sreesanth in twitter. Seems like what Dileep Ramachandran posted is true. [/tscii:3d9bd5c058] again proves - just media built up stories..

P_R
6th January 2011, 01:15 PM

Paarthu edit pannunga :P I tried but strange...it still shown each option twice !

Plum
6th January 2011, 01:15 PM
I hope Dhoni pulls up Harbhajan also appropriately.

Sometimes, some team members create a bad impression on us and appuram kai pattA kuththam kAl pattA kuththam dhAn. Sreesanth - and probably he has to blame himself - seems ot have gotten himself into that situation with Dhoni. The loss is obviously Santh's here. Dhoni can manage without him.

Plum
6th January 2011, 01:17 PM
[tscii:e37829f425]I never abused anyone.all I did is to say some sarcastic comments to make the batsman upset..I just got targeted coz. Iam doing well??omg .

Sreesanth in twitter. Seems like what Dileep Ramachandran posted is true. [/tscii:e37829f425]

This corroborates to what Dileep had posted. So I'm inclined to believe what Sree says here.

Dileep is close to Rahul Dravid and VVS. If he quotes players or inside info, it is usually from these two. So, yes, I'd be inclined to believe, too, if indeed Dileep got this info from Rahul and Lax.

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 01:17 PM
Yes, third test. And I don't think what Dhoni said was just for fun. it wasnt a public bashing illaya.. ofcourse i am not saying MS approves whtever sree does...

Press conference-la "amaam, Sreesanth konjam sari illa. Avankitta solli irukken" appadinnu solradhu correct-a?

P_R
6th January 2011, 01:18 PM
Sreesanth-ai thitta vEndiyadhu oru captainudaiya kadamai, gaNNiyam, kattuppaadu. I cringe when I see those 'naan aggressionukku akkA payyan' glares. :x

littlemaster1982

Paarthu edit pannunga :P I tried but strange...it still shown each option twice !

Deleted the poll. Yaarachum vera poll vaikkanum aasai patta add pannikkalam :)

Plum

Press conference-la "amaam, Sreesanth konjam sari illa. Avankitta solli irukken" appadinnu solradhu correct-a?
ingE dhAn idikkudhu. Ricky Ponting mAdhiri gun-A nikka vENAvA?
(Just kidding, sila samyam, sila pErukku publicA bash paNNA dhAn uraikkum. Maybe, Dhoni has tried private chats with Sree and it isnt working?)

Plum
6th January 2011, 01:19 PM

nInga dhAnE saar add paNNa mudiyin. nAngaLLAM Asai dhAn pada mudiyin

P_R
6th January 2011, 01:19 PM
Just kidding neenga ippidi ezhudhip padikka remba sandhOsamA irukku :lol2:

directhit
6th January 2011, 01:22 PM

Press conference-la "amaam, Sreesanth konjam sari illa. Avankitta solli irukken" appadinnu solradhu correct-a? :? i dont find it wrong (not surprising nu solladheenga :twisted:) do u expect him to say 'nothin wrong in being like that?!' or 'in the heat of the game, things happen'
all he said was he is a talented bowler, and its good for everyone if he can channel it well right?! this public dressing down/sree broke down and cried etc is all Fabricated.... am more inclined to believe that MSD doesnt even reprimand him off media.. if that was the case Sree wud have not done any sledging in tests 2 and 3...

Siv.S
6th January 2011, 01:27 PM
What did dhoni said? it is quite difficult to control sreesanth... whats wrong in that? :huh:

what i found wrong is ,Dhoni was laughing when sreesanth complained to the ambire when the crowd thrown bottle at him. :neutral:

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 02:22 PM

nInga dhAnE saar add paNNa mudiyin. nAngaLLAM Asai dhAn pada mudiyin

Enna poll add pannanum-nu sollunga, will go by consensus.

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 02:26 PM
i dont find it wrong (not surprising nu solladheenga :twisted:) do u expect him to say 'nothin wrong in being like that?!' or 'in the heat of the game, things happen'
all he said was he is a talented bowler, and its good for everyone if he can channel it well right?! this public dressing down/sree broke down and cried etc is all Fabricated.... am more inclined to believe that MSD doesnt even reprimand him off media.. if that was the case Sree wud have not done any sledging in tests 2 and 3...

Tell anything other than admitting one of our players is at fault, when in reality, Sreesanth hasn't crossed the line as Smith and co did. South Africans are not saints either and it is wrong of Dhoni to say these things in a press conference because Smith complained to him.

Plum
6th January 2011, 02:34 PM
Who is the best on-field strategist among current international captains?
Kumar Sangakarra, gunduchattila kudhiraikArA
Shakib Al Hasan, delikate possisan
Andrew Strauss, the touch of midas?
Ricky Ponting, fingers pointing?
Mahi, The Dhoni;
Graeme Smith, the mega monolith
Daniel Vettori, What a story!
Pakistan ka kapthaan;na tum jAnO na hum

LM, this one.

MADDY
6th January 2011, 02:34 PM

even PR has endorsed it - will u say ur not suprised for that too?? LM, tayam paathu goal adikkreenga-nnu theriyudhu :)

MADDY
6th January 2011, 02:37 PM
can someone post the exact excerpts from Dhoni conference......naa paatha link varaikkum, Dhoni said that and everyone laughed-nnu dhaan pottirukaanga :?

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 02:39 PM

even PR has endorsed it - will u say ur not suprised for that too?? LM, tayam paathu goal adikkreenga-nnu theriyudhu :)

Actually I was surprised when PR said that. Time paarthu goal adikkirena :huh: I'm saying things as I see it. Even if not Plum had started this discussion, I would have posted that article.

ajaybaskar
6th January 2011, 02:43 PM
There is nothing wrong with what MSD did. Even Bhajji sledges, Zaheer sledges. Did MSD bash them in front of others? When you go over board, when ur histrionics affects the over rate, u r bound to get bashed..

Plum
6th January 2011, 02:44 PM
Even Bhajji sledges, Zaheer sledges. Did MSD bash them in front of others?
adhAnE prachnaiyE?

Plum
6th January 2011, 02:44 PM

Actually I was surprised when PR said that. Time paarthu goal adikkirena :huh: I'm saying things as I see it. Even if not Plum had started this discussion, I would have posted that article.

appO nAn mattum time pArthu goal adikkirEnA? i;-)
dhellAm Maddy eppOvum solRadahu dhAn. edhaiyum thAngum idhayam vENdum, LM.

P_R
6th January 2011, 03:07 PM
Actually I was surprised when PR said that.
yEn aaL aaLukku reaction kudukkureenga :lol2:

I am not a fan of 'backing your players' when they are in the wrong etc. It is a misplaced sense of solidarity that leads to such poor decisions.

Ranatunga backing Murali
Sachin allegedly prevaricating to defend Harbhajan

ellAm eppovumE kutRam kutRamEnu dhaanE sollittu vandhirukkEn.
Flau edhirpaarkura consistency kooda irukkE :-)

ajaybaskar
6th January 2011, 03:09 PM
Ranatunga backing Murali

Ennada eli nude'ah pogudhennu paaththen.. :)

P_R
6th January 2011, 03:10 PM
And public-la sirichA maadhiriyE moonjiya vachukkaNum, 'vittukkoduthu pEsak koodaadhu' are also 'overrated' qualities for a leader.

Anyway....press conference-la enna nadandhuchunnu theriyaamayE vaayai vittuttu irukkEn :lol2:

Thirumaran
6th January 2011, 03:12 PM
Ennada eli nude'ah pogudhennu paaththen.. :)

athayum vittu vaikalayaa :roll: any kisu kisu's on that? PM plum.

MADDY
6th January 2011, 03:14 PM
Interestingly, Dhoni did not defend Sreesanth when told about Smith's observation, repeating what he had said after the Durban Test but in a more serious vein. "Of course, it's difficult to control Sreesanth. I've said this at every press conference. Hopefully, he'll be on the right side of the line this time. And if he has to say something, I hope it's not personal."

Sreesanth is a volatile character and Dhoni cannot say Sreesanth is under our control.........it would have been like "unga pondatti unga alavukku illainga" sort of statement by Dhoni........

Dhoni added: "When you represent your country, you try your best to win games, but a certain guideline needs to be followed and you've to always be on the right side of that line."

i dont see any giving away or anything here - its a statement against personal/family sledging.........i really think this is a good precedent set by Dhoni to stop people from resorting personalised/family bashing under protection of BCCI management......

Smith said he has got used to verbal aggression. "In my 90 Tests, I don't think I have played many where there hasn't been an aggressive vibe on the field. But when you start bringing people's families into it, it's like crossing the line."

smart sledging dhaane panna solraanga....

LM, i really find it odd that u r trying to blow it up as a big complaint against Dhoni......

P_R
6th January 2011, 03:17 PM
Actually idhai vida konjam kadumaiyAvE kaNdichirukkaNum illaiyA.

Ajay :lol2: namakku nOkkam, koLgai, latchiyam ellAmE jaundice dhaan :-)

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 03:17 PM
LM, i really find it odd that u r trying to blow it up as a big complaint against Dhoni......

I said I was surprised to see this from Dhoni. I did post something similar when Ganguly criticised his team in a press conference during IPL.

MADDY
6th January 2011, 03:19 PM
[tscii:7ab355df33]idhu ellarukkum therinja vishayam dhaan aana reposting this to quell some propagandas...

http://www.ambimama.com/2006/10/11/sreesanth-rubs-his-seniors-the-wrong-way/

In the dressing room, coach Lalchand Rajput read out the riot act to Sreesanth for getting involved in the scuffle.

“There was absolutely no need for him to do that. The team was in a winning position then why unnecessarily create a ruckus,” said Rajput, clearly very agitated with the bowler.

Sreesanth had even sledged Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag early in the innings.

“After he was hit by Sehwag for a four, he went up to him and asked him why he can’t bat like that in international matches,” the source said.

Sehwag, obviously lost his cool and pointed that out to the umpires. Later, Sreesanth dared to look Tendulkar in his eyes in his follow through after getting one past him.

The next ball saw Tendulkar jumping out of his crease to smash a six, tennis style, over the bowler’s head. The source said, “Tendulkar went up to him and said, never again come that close to me.”

:lol:

also, when Bhajji slapped sreesanth on field - appove olagathukku theriyin sreesanth eppadi-nnu..........if Dhoni had defended Sreesanth or said he will take it offline, oore kai thatti sirichirukkum[/tscii:7ab355df33]

MADDY
6th January 2011, 03:20 PM

I said I was surprised to see this from Dhoni. I did post something similar when Ganguly criticised his team in a press conference during IPL.

obviously LM, posting it in this thread instead of MS thread and 3-4 days later , i found it odd.......anyways, freea vidunga :D

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 03:20 PM
Actually I was surprised when PR said that.
yEn aaL aaLukku reaction kudukkureenga :lol2:

I am not a fan of 'backing your players' when they are in the wrong etc. It is a misplaced sense of solidarity that leads to such poor decisions.

Ranatunga backing Murali
Sachin allegedly prevaricating to defend Harbhajan

ellAm eppovumE kutRam kutRamEnu dhaanE sollittu vandhirukkEn.
Flau edhirpaarkura consistency kooda irukkE :-)

Ok, I was not really thinking about these two instances because there were far more serious issues. Smith complaint pandradhellam sappa matter, adhukkaga Dhoni Sreesanth-ai vittu kudukka thevai illai-ngaradhu ennudaiya karutthu :)

ajaybaskar
6th January 2011, 03:21 PM
:lol:

I like Sachin's reply..

littlemaster1982
6th January 2011, 03:22 PM

obviously LM, posting it in this thread instead of MS thread and 3-4 days later , i found it odd.......anyways, freea vidunga :D

Naan indha article-ai kaalailadhan padichen-nu sonna neenga nambava poreenga :) Freeyave viduvom :)

P_R
6th January 2011, 03:25 PM
[tscii:9b95967211]

In the dressing room, coach Lalchand Rajput read out the riot act to Sreesanth for getting involved in the scuffle.

“There was absolutely no need for him to do that. The team was in a winning position then why unnecessarily create a ruckus,” said Rajput, clearly very agitated with the bowler.

Sreesanth had even sledged Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag early in the innings.

“After he was hit by Sehwag for a four, he went up to him and asked him why he can’t bat like that in international matches,” the source said.

Sehwag, obviously lost his cool and pointed that out to the umpires. Later, Sreesanth dared to look Tendulkar in his eyes in his follow through after getting one past him.

The next ball saw Tendulkar jumping out of his crease to smash a six, tennis style, over the bowler’s head. The source said, “Tendulkar went up to him and said, never again come that close to me.”

:rotfl: loosaappaa nee[/tscii:9b95967211]

Plum
6th January 2011, 03:32 PM
Sreesanth dared to look Tendulkar in his eyes in his follow through after getting one past him.

idhu oru kuththamA?