PDA

View Full Version : IR News and Other Titbits

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

rajasaranam
23rd November 2006, 10:03 PM
Lets share all small news and titbits in this thread keeping the new albums section for albums alone. Hope RR makes this thread sticky :) http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/nov-06-04/23-11-06-vairamuthu.html

rajasaranam
23rd November 2006, 10:09 PM
IsaiGnani @ Muruga Audio Launch
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/10903.html

rajasaranam
1st December 2006, 11:53 AM
"Dhanam" Announced today in dhinathanthi.
Music By Raaja
'Sangeetha' is in the lead role.
Other Behind the screen names are
Director : Siva
Cinematographer : jeeva
Art direction : Thotta tharani
Editing : Lenin.

Hope at least this movie sees the limelight :(

rajasaranam
2nd December 2006, 08:35 PM
Dhanam Movie Launch http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/01122006-2.shtml
Surprising that Balachander and Ilaiyaraaja were both present. Did they talk with each other is a big question 8-)

Hulkster
3rd December 2006, 10:11 AM
May i know whats the tiff between Balachander and IR? :?

saisiv
3rd December 2006, 08:32 PM
Rajasaranam... Enjoy(Dhanam Pooja Pictures and Video)

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/11037.html

Shankar
4th December 2006, 02:56 PM
Hulkster,
This is according to one of the tamizh magazines...Apparently, at the time of pudhu pudhu arthangaL function, someone said it's purely because of Raja that the movie succeeded and the movie had nothing else other than good music. As an answer to that, KB chose not to work with Raja anymore.

KB's assistant, Vasanth, when he made poovellam kEttuppAr had this story incorporated in the movie...The script was interesting in that,
1. The split that happens between the MDs is based on MSV-TKR (drinking habits etc).
2. Vijaykumar, though he is supposed to be representing MSV, was made to look like Raja.
3. His fight with Karan (who portrays KB - the KB trademark vibhuthi streak sported by Karan) is Raja-KB fight

Hulkster
4th December 2006, 04:46 PM
Well when one is faced with a fight for image such things do happen but KB should not have pulled the trigger due to one person's remark...mikka nandri shankar :D

raja_fan
4th December 2006, 05:01 PM
Shankar and Hulkster,

Sorry, you are wrong.

The real reason ( confirmed by IR in his recent JV interview ) :
KB wanted to release PPA on a particular date. The re-recording was yet to be done. KB rushed and released the movie with IR's old tracks as BGM. IR was upset and decided not to work with KB again.

Proof : Watch PPA. You will see Punnagai Mannan's comedy BGM coming in Janakaraj' scenes. The climax BGM was from Ek Duje keliye, I guess.

Vkrish
4th December 2006, 07:17 PM
Puthu Puthu Arthangal for KB> <IR Split :)

app_engine
4th December 2006, 09:30 PM
சமீபத்தில் பெரியார் சர்ச்சை வந்த போது ஜூனியர் விகடனில் ராசா இன்டர்வ்யூ வந்தது...ராஜாசரணம் இங்கே ஒரு த்ரெடில் அதை ஸ்கேன் செய்து இட்டிருந்தார்...அனுமதி இல்லாமல் புதுப்புது அர்த்தங்களில் வேறு பின்னணி இசை சேர்த்ததால் கோபித்துக்கொண்டு பிறகு கவிதாலயா படங்களை மறுத்ததாக அதில் ராசா சொல்லி இருந்தார்...

(என் தனிப்பட்ட அபிப்ராயப்படி, ஜூ.வி. ரிலையபிள் அல்ல...என்றாலும்...இப்படியும் ஒரு கருத்து இருக்கிறது)...

app_engine
4th December 2006, 09:42 PM
ஷங்கர், சமீபத்தில் டிவிடியில் 'பூவெல்லாம் கேட்டுப்பார்' பார்த்தேன்...நல்ல படம்...(அதாவது, அருவருப்பில்லாமல் எல்லோரும் லிவிங் ரூமில் உட்கார்ந்து பார்க்க முடிந்த, அதே சமயத்தில் அலுக்காத படம்...)

Shankar
5th December 2006, 09:48 AM
eden,
PK was a very decent movie...IMO, this Yuvan's best work till date as far as veriety goes. A very refreshing album, and a decent movie.

Rajafan,
Ek dhujE kEliyE wasn't composed by Raja...I am not sure if I would watch PPA for this...Such a hopeless movie, even with Raja's score I don't have the patience to watch it.

RR
5th December 2006, 10:22 AM
RS,

Stickied it.. :thumbsup: Hope the "IR New albums" will be more focussed from now on.

rajasaranam
5th December 2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks RR I was hoping for this, that all discussions regarding IR can be shifted over here :)

"Let's keep the "IR New albums" focussed on discussion/reviews of - as the title says - new albums of IR."
Enge..? Edhaavadhu album release aanaa thaane ? Onnum Kaanom :(
Guys, do we really need a thread for this if we are going to wait for so loooooooong every time to see the next album of IR ?
Where is Maaya kannadi ? where is Aadum koothu ? Where is Cheeni kum ?
Where ? Where ? What are we waiting for ?? :(

Aadum koothu is an offbeat movie and they screened the movie in recent Film festival at Goa.
there was an article in this weeks nakeeran about the south indians being marginalised by the northies and Director cheran Fighting over it.
It seems some of the northies came and spoke to him in Hindi and Cheran kept replying to them in thamizh. they said 'hindi mein bolo' for which Cheran replied 'Yaen nee tamilla paesaen enakku hindi theriyathu' :) .
Even Top stars like mohanlal and mamooty expressed their worries over the way the media and officials showing unwarranted support to bollywood and northies.

Maayakannadi is ready and is a pongal release.
Cheeni kums fate is unknown.
Ajantha audio was supposed to release on dec.11th and hope it goes well if we ignore about the debacle between the producer and IR which came as a gossip that the producer allegedly told to someone that he can create 10 Isaigyanis if needed and IR said not to use his name for the movie promotion.

We need not wait for anything as he has given more than we can expect for this lifetime :wink:

rajasaranam
5th December 2006, 03:13 PM
oops that was my 1000th post here :) :oops:

thumburu
5th December 2006, 06:19 PM
PPArthangal bgm is bad at few places as KB has reused few bgm of MSV's

irir123
6th December 2006, 12:18 AM
PPA - some places, KB was at his weirdest! like Rahman and Sitara sharing the same sweater in the rain etc - some idea of novelty! subtlety has never been his forte - I prefer watching his black & white classics like "edhir neechhal", "neerkumizhi" anytime

btw, recently watched "Mr and Mrs.Iyer" - though good at places, the movie sucked at many places - even Aparna Sen (a relatively better filmmaker than many others) couldnt prevent herself falling for the sterotyped depiction on Tamils

krish244
7th December 2006, 11:16 AM
Found this article on the net about completion of "Cheeni Kum"

By Ashok Anchan
17 November 2006, 04:08 PM
MUMBAI: Producers Sunil Manchanda and Gautam Kumar have completed shooting for Chini Kum, a rib-tickler featuring Amitabh Bachchan, Tabu and Paresh Rawal.

Manchanda says, "After Salaam-E-Ishq, we have completed a comedy film Chini Kum. It is a remake of South hit and is directed by Balki. The film has turned out to be quite interesting and gives the feel of the seventies. It has an universal appeal and will be liked by the young and the old. Amitabh plays a bachelor while Tabu is a spinster. Paresh Rawal is Tabu's father."

He further adds, "We are toying with the idea of making a sequel to Tere Naam, which will be titled Phir Tere Naam featuring the same team with Salman Khan in the lead. We can only be... ... sure after Salman gives his nod for the film."

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
7th December 2006, 11:28 AM
Direct link (earlier one was a Google cached link):

http://www.businessofcinema.com/?file=story&id=1756

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
7th December 2006, 11:35 AM
Here's another link saying "Cheeni Kum" is complete and ready for release:

http://www.b4utv.com/showtime/gossip/061109ab.shtml

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
7th December 2006, 01:14 PM
Krish,

Can you please remove the google link in ur post. the page has stretched horizontally due to it :?

I saw the full song 'Ethetho jenamathil' from TTLS in Surya TV yesterday. Have they released the movie in Kerala :?: The picturisation and visuals were pretty decent.

krish244
7th December 2006, 05:24 PM
Done Rajasaranam!

thanks,
Krishnan

rajasaranam
8th December 2006, 02:20 AM
Harmony magazine Article/interview of Raaja
http://harmonyindia.org/hportal/magazine/magazine.htm
Entire Article and interview from Raaja.com site
http://www.raaja.com/latest.html
8-)

krish244
8th December 2006, 12:23 PM
Rajasaranam, I dont see the entire article in http://www.raaja.com/latest.html. Where it is? Can you please post the entire article in this thread?

Also, www.raaja.com site says "Cheeni Kum" audio is released. (under link "Film Projects - 14.09.06 " (contents of that page is last updated on 29/11/06)).

thanks,

Krishnan

crvenky
8th December 2006, 04:39 PM
[tscii:7e6b9e0e69]krish, here it is. Dont forget to see the rare pic of Maestro with Pavalar (I'm seeing it for the first time).

The inimitable musician Ilaiyaraaja - Interview by Harmony Magazine

Melody Raaja

If you’ve forgotten how love, the sensual languor of it, feels like, listen to the music of Cheeeni Kam. Three of the four song sequences form a seamless, musical dialogue, a throbbing blend of 1970s cabaret, jazz and symphony.

Inimitable Ilaiyaraaja. He’s scoring for Hindi Films again after a hiatus following Hey Ram in 2000, for Ram Gopal Varma’s Shiva 2006, and ad filmmaker ‘Balki’ Balakrishnan’s Cheeni Kam. The film stars Amitabh Bachchan as a 60-something man who falls in love with a younger women. Ask the 63 year old Tamil composer how he feels about the concept, though, and all you get is a non-committal shrug. Nothing more.

You really can’t count on Ilaiyaraaja for tasty sound bytes. If you get through the front door of his spacious house in the Chennai suburb of T Nagar, you meet a monkish man who is courteous – but not in the least forthcoming. Slight of frame, he is dressed in starched white Kurta and Veshti and sports a shaven head. The prasad he has just received from a temple evidently animates him much more than the interview, where he speaks in quizzical manner which conceals more than it reveals. Listen to this: “You have to make people thirst. You don’t have to give them water.”

Perhaps words are superfluous to this austere man whose life is defined by music. In a career spanning 28 years, Ilaiyaraaja has composed over 4,500 songs and provided background music for more than 840 films in various languages. He has won three National Awards for Best Composition (for Tamil film Sindhu Bharavi in 1986, and Telugu films Saagara Sangaman and Rudra Veena in 1984 and 1988). He was the first Asian to compose a full symphony for the RPO in 1993, called Symphony No. 1. Ilaiyaraaja has also composed three fusion albums blending western classical music a with carnatic ragas – the most recent, Thiruvasakam in Symphony (released in 2005), presents verses from Thiruvasakam (ancient Tamil shloka by sage Manikavachagar) in musical form, synthesizing Indian and Western classical traditions.

Quite a journey. Rasayya (Ilaiyaraaja’s real name) was born in Pannaipuram village in Theni district, Tamil Nadu. When he was just a child, he began making music on a talc box with strings, with his stephrother Pavalar Varadarajan. After he finished class eight, he dropped out of school and continued singing with Varadarajan, a member of Communist Party. Along with elder brother Bhaskar and younger brother Amaran, they would travel through villages, singing propagandist lyrics.

In 1968, at the age of 25 Rasayya (now calling himself Raaja) set off for Chennai to find work. There, he took lessons in Carnatic classical music, and was introduced to Western composers. Eventually, Raaja got his break with producer Panchu Arunachalam’s new film, Annakili. He also got a new name – Ilaiyaraaja (Youthful Raja) – as Arunachalam thought ‘Raaja’ was too old-fashioned.

The music of Annakili, released in 1976, was wildly successful, with Ilaiyaraaja melding Tamil fold with rich Western orchestration. “Bach’s influence is all pervasive in his music,” Bombay – based musicologist Sheryar Ookerjee once said. “Ilaiyaraaja so integrates Indian and Western idioms that the seams can hardly be noticed.” He also started the practice of composing the tune first, and letting the lyrics come later. Stories and themes were changed to fit his music. Though detractors claimed this process contributed to the downslide in quality of lyrics, it didn’t stop filmmakers flocking to this door. For his part, despite insider talk about his ‘bluntness’, Ilaiyaraaja likes to steer clear of controversy. He has nothing to say about filmmakers like Mani Ratnam (for whom he composed the landmark scores of Nayakan and Dalapathy), veering to the younger A R Rahman, who got his start in the music business playing keyboards in Ilaiyaraaja’s orchestra and has acknowledged Ilaiyaraaja as a ‘clean-living’ role model. But comparisons between Rahman and Ilaiyaraaja still abound. “He is very talented,” Ilaiyaraaja says about Rahman. He adds, “success or failure is not connected with discipline or sacrifice. Without sacrifice, there is no discipline or achievement. You have to spare time for practice every day.” A question about a typical day in his life is parried with, “What is a day? Sunrise and sunset? No one can live their life on their own routes; life is given to us and will take us on its own route.” Such observations are found aplenty in Ilaiyaraaja’s eight books – Sangeetha Kanavugal (Musical Dreams), Vetta Velythanil Koti Kidakkuthu (Thrown in Bright Sunlight) and Vazhiththunai (Wayfarer’s Companion) are the most popular. Spiritual in tone, they are a guide to living using venba, couplets in the old style of Tamil poetry. A disciple of the 20th century sage Ramana Maharishi of Thiruvannamalai (where the Sri Arunachaleswarar Temple is located), he nevertheless says: “God or Guru, world or nature, all these matter only in a superficial sense. Inspiration is inside everyone; it just needs to be tapped.”

Photography was an inspiration – once. Owner of five Leicas, Ilaiyaraaja has an impressive collection of still-life, portrait and landscape photographs. But he put away his cameras with the advent of digital photography. He’s also stopped reading newspapers as they have “nothing new to say, except violence and more violence.” Ask him about other interests and you get a terse “I really don’t need to seek hobbies.”

It’s not like he has the time. Ilaiyaraaja is in his studio every morning at 7.30 am and doesn’t leave before 9.30 pm, sometimes working till midnight. A non-smoking, vegetarian teetotaler who likes simple, non-spicy food, his meals come from home; his only vice, glucose biscuits! At the studio, he works at a blistering pace – writing music, working with his orchestra, recording and mixing lyrics.

After each assignment, Ilaiyaraaja likes to take off to the Thiruvannamalai temple to recharge his spiritual batteries. Another favorite destination is Tirupati. But even when he’s traveling, music is never far away. Once, when he was on the road, inspiration struck. Ilaiyaraaja got down from his car and sat under a tree to write music – the result was the score of Chinna Thambi (1991), which went on to become the highest grosser in Tamil cinema.

“In the end, it always comes back to music,” says the composer, sitting staidly in an antique chair in his living room. A large swathe of studded cloth, a traditional decoration for elephants during festivals, hangs high on a wall; a statue of Devi draped in silk sari sits in a corner. Pride of place goes to the grand piano that gleams ebony and ivory; an altar where the family can worship.

Indeed, the music has become a legacy. Wife Jeeva, a simple, shy woman, and Ilaiyaraaja have three children – all have made music their career. Sons Karthik Raja and Yuvan Shankar Raja, who live with him, compose for Tamil films and daughter Bhavatharini, who just got married last year, is a singer and composer. “My father is the one who made Tamil music famous worldwide,” says a proud Yuvan shankar. “Such a man is an inspiration to any new composer.” Ilaiyaraaja couldn’t be happier. “God has put my children in the saagar of Sapthaswaraas [the ocean of music],” he says. “They are blessed.” Another blessing is five year – old grandson Yatheeswar [Karthick’s son], “a wonderful gift from God”. Ilaiyaraaja is an indulgent grandfather, playing the Harry Potter theme patiently for Yatheeswar on his piano.

Harry Potter? Yes. From contemporary Western music to Eastern melodies, Hindustani classical to techno, all kind of music moves him- but he can’t abide remixes. “I liken remix to test tube baby,” he says, uncharacteristically scathing. “Who does the music really belong to?” He’s also unimpressed with most ‘modern songs’. “If a song cannot remain in your head and in your heart, what kind of song is it?”

You can’t say that about Ilaiyaraaja’s compositions. “He has achieved a hundred times more than any of us,” late composer Naushad once said. Despite such praise, Ilaiyaraaja claims he feels no joy when he listens to his own work. “I find mistakes I have inadvertently made,” he confesses. “If I was satisfied with my work, I would be sitting at home.”

- with Arati Rajan Menon and Amita Amin-Shinde. Harmony magazine - November 2006.
[/tscii:7e6b9e0e69]

MADDY
8th December 2006, 07:49 PM
saw the starting pooja for a film called "Dhanam" on KTV.......

Cast - Sangeeta(Uyir fame), Prakash Raj, Ramesh kanna
Director - G.Shiva
Cinematography - Jeeva
Music - Ilayaraja

:clap:

best part was, in the function K.Balachander putting Garland on IR and IR putting Garland on K.Balachander ......... :bluejump: :bluejump: :thumbsup:

aruvi
9th December 2006, 12:36 AM
Maddy, age reduces ego:-)

The story of Chinnathambi's music is new to me. Previously, I had heard that he composed all songs in 20 minutes in the studio.

rajasaranam
9th December 2006, 11:24 AM
First 3D animation movie in Thamizh 'Inimae Naangathaan' is due to release soon from the Ad's in Thinathanthi. As usual IR would have taken the film to new heights with his BGM scores as he did in Pandavas. :) Success of this movie may pave way for more animated movies in future in thamizh.

rajasaranam
9th December 2006, 11:29 AM
aruvi,

the news on Chinnathambi is a fiction from the writers mind i presume. AFAIK from the interview of P.Vasu i read at those times - IR was on the way to airport and he called up PV to come along with him in the car till ariport. The drive from his home to airport took around 40 to 50 mins and within that time as PVasu kept narrating the sequences and storyline of Chinnathambi Raaja came up with the tunes then and there and they were finalised. 8-)

Hulkster
9th December 2006, 01:41 PM
[tscii:efab9ba6a4]

If you’ve forgotten how love, the sensual languor of it, feels like, listen to the music of Cheeeni Kam. Three of the four song sequences form a seamless, musical dialogue, a throbbing blend of 1970s cabaret, jazz and symphony.

I am already excited after hearing the word jazz and symphony coming together...get ready for cheeni kum :bluejump:[/tscii:efab9ba6a4]

rajasaranam
13th December 2006, 04:41 PM
Inimaey naangathaan to hit theatres soon :) http://www.hindu.com/2006/12/13/stories/2006121304240200.htm

kameshratnam
13th December 2006, 09:16 PM
RS,

I head P Vasu talk on sun tv reg chinna thambi. this was sometime back..he said he went to the studio and the songs were composed in 30 mins.

I remember the unchan thala song where vasu said as soon as the situation was explained..raja started to sing the tune..

Vkrish
20th December 2006, 05:56 PM
Casually came across this link...and surprised to see the recognition given to Tiruvasagam in the external Link portions :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oratorio

raja_fan
20th December 2006, 08:42 PM
VKrish,

Did you see the "edit this page" link in the page ?

Anybody can add/ modify the wikipedia.
For example, I have now modified "Thiruvasakam" to "Thiruvaaasakam" there.
Just for a demo. Please change it back :)

krish244
21st December 2006, 01:05 PM
About "Inimae Naangadhan" on rediff:

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2006/dec/20south.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

crvenky
30th December 2006, 04:03 PM
[tscii:85c27e4693]Here are some snippets from Maestro's interview in Kalakaumudi (Malayalam).

Memories of his birth place:

There was a drama theatre in my hometown. I have seen many dramas there. You know the theatre name? Gandhiji’s Progressive Union for Untouchability Eradication. Many stalwarts like TR Mahalingam, Kittappa, etc have played in dramas here.

Another memory is hearing the gramophone record in our village for the first time. The first gramophone we heard in our village was DK Pattammal’s rendition of ‘Eppadi paadinaro’ - t was even the first in my life too. You wont belive – people got together as if it was a big festival in our village. Nobody was home that day! Then there was a big commotion – everybody wanted to see the face of the people singing!! They asked ‘where are you hiding these people, ask them to come out, let us see them once’. Nobody believed that it was composed by one person, sung by another, instrumented played by a group and recorded by somebody else.

Maestro’s early venture in Malayalam:

Q: Which was your first film in Malayalam?

A: There was a Tamil film called ‘Policekaran Magal’. It was remade in Malayalam. It was composed in Tamil by MSV-TKR. The music was of top class! MSV-TKR were like my gurus. How can I compose better than what they did? I was amazed. I was afraid to compose each and every song. Then somehow I managed to finish the songs.

Q: Which was the first song?

A: Poovadikalil alayum then ilam kaatre, Pani neer mazhayil kulir kori nilpu gnan.

Q: That song by S.Janaki was one of the melodious numbers in Malayalam.

A. I am glad. Even before that, I had done a movie in Malayalam called Aaru Manikkoor. I think there were 3 songs in the movie. But it was never released.

Q: So, your first Malayalam movie was Vyamoham. Do you have any memorable event in that movie?

A: Vyamoham’s producer has not paid me to this day. Though this was my first experience in Malayalam, I am very happy that I earned many good hearts who treated me as their own brother. I am always indebted to them.

Favourite songs:

Q: When you think about your Malayalam songs, are there any songs which comes to your mind instantly?

A: Yes, there are many. My first song Poovadikalil, Puzhayorathil poonthoni yethilla, Thumbi vaa thumba kudathil, Devasangeetham, Aatrin karayorathil, etc etc. The list is endless. The origin of Devasangeetham is different, it’s a class apart. All songs in Guru are like that. Those songs were not created by me, it occurred to me on a divine moment.

Q: Your favourite songs in Tamil?

A: If I start saying, there is no end to it. Jaya TV wanted to produce a show about me. They wanted 25 best songs of mine. How can I choose? I gave the responsibility to them (to choose). The choosing was very difficult. They came to me with the final list. The committee had come up with a list of 250 songs instead of 25! What shall I do? The program was of 4 hours duration only. They discussed amongst themselves and came up finally with a list of 100 songs.
[/tscii:85c27e4693]

rajdes
31st December 2006, 02:19 PM
On GURU, we have to agree. What is interesting is that here in an interview to Malayalee medium, he is less stiffer, less rigid than he has been to the tamil media.
"If I start saying, there is no end to it...". I think if a Tamil magazine had asked he would given the usual "how can I choose from my own offspring" phiosophical ditty :-)

crvenky
31st December 2006, 06:12 PM
Hi, I have uploaded the entire copy of Kalakaumudi interview here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/9638358/kalakaumudi_interview.zip.html

If you can't read Malayalam, you can enjoy some nice pictures in the article.

thumburu
4th January 2007, 02:37 PM
Courtesy " Margazhi Maha utsavam " aired by Jaya TV almost on all days (at 6.30 am ) of this auspicious month [ December music season]:
During Sanjay Subramanian's concert, there was an interactive session with the Rasikas.
See below a conversation between Sanjay and one of the Rasikas
Rasika : Eppidi ungaLaala ivaLo kashtamaana Carnatic isaiyil paandithvam pera mudindhadhu?
Sanjay - Actualaa ippo naangaL onnum perusa saadhithuvidavillai. Munnor [ Thyagarajar, Dikshadhar pondror kadavuL aruLaal compose panni vaithu vitta arumaiyaana paadaLgalai thaan naangaL innamum paadi kondu irukkirom. Adhanaal perumai avargaLaiye serum.
rasika - appo neengaLum avargaLai pol yen paadalgaL iyatri paada koodaadhu?l

Here comes the reply from the horse's mouth
Sanjay - naan isaigyani ILaiyarajavai pol sangeetha gyanam kondirundhaal paadalgaL compose panni iruppen.

njv
6th January 2007, 01:29 AM
Courtesy " Margazhi Maha utsavam " aired by Jaya TV almost on all days (at 6.30 am ) of this auspicious month [ December music season]:
During Sanjay Subramanian's concert, there was an interactive session with the Rasikas.
Rasika : Eppidi ungaLaala ivaLo kashtamaana Carnatic isaiyil paandithvam pera mudindhadhu?
Sanjay - Actualaa ippo naangaL onnum perusa saadhithuvidavillai. Munnor [ Thyagarajar, Dikshadhar pondror kadavuL aruLaal compose panni vaithu vitta arumaiyaana paadaLgalai thaan naangaL innamum paadi kondu irukkirom. Adhanaal perumai avargaLaiye serum.

Sanjay - naan isaigyani ILaiyarajavai pol sangeetha gyanam kondirundhaal paadalgaL compose panni iruppen.

IR said the same thing a decade back when asked about his participation in margazhi maha utsavam - he said he dont mind as long as he can sing his own composition and there is no point in just singing the songs composed by them and invited "carnatic pandiths" to compose songs as well. Only few from carnatic came out of the box (BMK, Kunnakudi, LS to name a few).

music man
6th January 2007, 07:15 PM
Hi friends!!!!i need the original ENNADI MUNIYAMMA song...from the film vanga mappilai vanga....can anyone post plzzz.thanks in advance

app_engine
9th January 2007, 01:20 AM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-01-10/pg13.php

Observation of Sruthi Kamalahasan on Raja...

saisiv
10th January 2007, 09:24 PM
http://newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEE20070110015235&Page=E&Title=Startrek&Topic=0&

MrJudge
12th January 2007, 01:47 PM
In this week Kumudam, mani rathnam says that he is willing to work with IR when good script comes along and if IR agrees to score. I know that IR will never change his mind, it is not even remotely possible!

eagle
12th January 2007, 02:49 PM
Hi all,
Here is a link to Sanjay subramanyan's interview in Kaalachuvadu. he talks about many things and about Raja's music also.

http://www.kalachuvadu.com/issue-80/interview.htm

raja_fan
12th January 2007, 04:02 PM
MrJudge,

It is just a diplomatic reply from Maniratnam. Nothing to hope about it. How can he come back to IR after so many movies with ARR ?

MrJudge
12th January 2007, 11:58 PM
MrJudge,

It is just a diplomatic reply from Maniratnam. Nothing to hope about it. How can he come back to IR after so many movies with ARR ?

No, he did come back to IR for his Iruvar. But IR refused to do it. IR is the one person who sticks to the decisions he made irrespective of outcomes. He will never work with VM, MR, Rajini and KB.

Fliflo
13th January 2007, 02:37 AM
Today, I was reading more about Symphony in Wikipedia. Found the name of one and only Indian composer enlisted. Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony

Vysar
13th January 2007, 04:44 AM
Maniratnam says "he likes to work with IR again with different story that would extract a different music from him. It all depends on IR to accept it."

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-01-17/pg5.php

itsmuls
13th January 2007, 11:29 AM
Raja's Live Chennai Concert conducted along with Jaya TV is going to be retelecasted on 16/1/07, 6 pm onwards.

Hope throughout the evening it will be refreshing with raja's music. Earlier it was telecasted on sunday's by part1,2&3 now it will be continuous throughout the evening.

Dont miss it guys, have kaanum Pongal evening with Ilayaraj....

rajasaranam
13th January 2007, 04:53 PM
A good write-up on ARR and his music never missing to mention Raaja too :wink:
http://www.naachgaana.com/2006/12/30/rahmania/

teja
13th January 2007, 10:48 PM
Vamsy-IR's "Anumanaspadam" Audio release function videos.

IR's speech - wow..! He sounds so humble and down to earth!
http://www.cinegoer.com/eventvideos/130107/anumanaspadamaudio/anumanaspadamaudio03.htm

Tollywood showering praises on Maestro...
http://www.cinegoer.com/eventvideos/130107/anumanaspadamaudio/anumanaspadamaudio01.htm

Devi Sri prasad gets kinda emotional : )
http://www.cinegoer.com/eventvideos/130107/anumanaspadamaudio/anumanaspadamaudio02.htm

balaji
14th January 2007, 02:05 AM
http://www.telugucinema.com/tc/anumanaspadam_musiclaunch.php

Teja

you missed this one!

any good songs?

bala

rajasaranam
14th January 2007, 02:06 AM
thanks for the liks teja :)

Raaja had me in splits when he uttered the last line. probably this is the first time he did this, usually he gets carried away when talking about his own music and yeah i really want to know which mallu song he was about to mention :oops:

teja
14th January 2007, 02:53 AM
bala,
haven't heard the songs yet..

Singers list looks promising though...

SPB, Hariharan, Sonu nigam, Vijay yesudas, Ilayaraja
Sadhana Sargam, Shreya Ghosal, Manjari, Bhavatarini.

I just hope it's on par with Vamsy-IR's pervious works.

balaji
14th January 2007, 06:56 AM
Teja

Thanks

I am not expecting Anveshna/Sitara or Ladies Tailor. All I am expecting is a tad better than 'Oru Naal Oru Kanavu"

However looking at the singer's list, I am afraid that IR might have reused/modelled on 'Oru Naal Oru Kanavu'. If so then Hopeless!

Just can't wait to know the details. Until this comes out decent, Guru will get a longer run in my Car Stereo

Bala

Hulkster
14th January 2007, 03:44 PM
Who edited the symphony page?....It is supposed to be symphony no 1..thiruvasagam in symphony or rather oratorio was done with the hungarian orchestra...:angry2:

Fliflo
15th January 2007, 12:13 AM
Anumanaspadam Audio Songs. Not a great quality, of course.

http://www.totaltollywood.com/music/music.php?f=1&s=anumanaspadam&l=1#

First song is remake of "Mayanginen Solla Thayanginen" tamil song.

teja
15th January 2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the link Flifo.

Songs sound like historic remains of a once great combination!

balaji
15th January 2007, 09:01 AM
Teja

You have been too kind

Except Prathinidham (Thanks to the soulful original - Where is PS/PJ and where is UK/SG???) every other song is atrocious to say the least. D.Iman and Srikanth Deva (who should not be considered Music Directors) give better music than this.

All hype for no use.

IR has taken his revenge for the neglect Vamsi did when IR was in a better streak.

IR should stop giving this kind of music. What happened to the Interludes, for which he is born for??

Horrible and I am heart broken!

Everytime I say to myself not to expect for every movie he scores, and end up expecting, and after listening to the music, get utterly disappointed.

Hope this circle ends one way or the other!

Bala

teja
15th January 2007, 12:37 PM
bala,

>Songs sound like historic remains of a once great combination!

that wasn't a compliment. :)

rajasaranam
15th January 2007, 02:23 PM
Naan Kadavul in troubles again :cry: http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/jan-07-02/12-01-07-naan-kadavul.html

rajasaranam
15th January 2007, 03:52 PM
Here is an excellent writeup on Vamsi-Raaja Combo. http://www.idlebrain.com/celeb/realstars/vamsi2.html
If vamsi had recreated the same magic of his old films Raaja too wud've given him the same magical music. lets wait for the movie and see how both have faired.

Hulkster
15th January 2007, 05:32 PM
I have listened to the songs, I am happy to see IR back in full tandem..his old orchestration techniques returning in a new bottle mix. And i am extremely angry at the way some people have written off the songs even before giving it a proper listen...but then again its their opinion and let it go :D

Cacaphonix
16th January 2007, 03:10 PM
The confusion over Mella Thirandhadhu Kadhavu (MTK) is over. On saturday I happened to see SPB compered yet another singing talent hunt programme "Hamam nalungu maavu ennOdu paattu paadungaL". The judges were the veteran MSV and Manobala (the director who had played as "director" in the vivek comedy track "eppidi irundha naan ippidi aayittEn", and many other). In that one participant was singing "kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku". After that here is the dialogue:

SPB (to MSV): Sir, indha padaththula ellaa paattum neenga tune paNNi Raaja orchestration paNNinadhu illaya? except this song?

MSV: Aamam. indha paatta thavira ellaamE naan pOtta tune.

SPB: Indha paattu

MSV: ErkanavE thambi raaja pottutaar. Adha kEttEn nalla irundhadhu sarinnuttEn.

SPB: AvvaLavu simple-aa? (meaning was this episode of keeping this song in the album so simple or straight forward?)

MSV: Simple illa humble.

SPB: Indha idea eppidi vandhuchchi, adhaavadhu neengaLum raajavum sErdhu music pOdradhu. Neenga sonneengaLa illa producer kEttangaLaa?

MSV: illa, thambi raaja romba naaLa en kitta kEttukittE irundhaaru. idhu thambi raaja-vOda idea. indha padaththula thaan naanga rendu pErum first time-aa sErndhu music pOttOm. adhukku apparam "vanna thamizh paattu" appadeennu oru padam ennOda family-kkaaga sErndhu pOttom. Adhukkapparam innOru padam. Idhu (indha joint music ventures) commercial-kku appaarpattadhu. idhula "ego"-vE illannu kaamikka; "ego" irundha "you go"-nnu veratturadha kaamikkaradhukku senjOm.

NB: Thanks Raja_fan for pointing out the mistake. Yes it is kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku as mentioned by you and not ooru sanam as I wrongly stated. I have changed it now.

eagle
16th January 2007, 03:48 PM
Hi,
Any one is going to record the Jaya TV show again? if u have the facility pls do it as Jaya TV people unlikely to release the DVD version.

raja_fan
16th January 2007, 04:11 PM
ONE CORRECTION !

"In that one participant was singing "ooru sanam thoongiduchchi"

It was NOT this song ! It was "Kuzhaloodhum kannanukku.."

Fliflo
16th January 2007, 07:41 PM
My wife has seen this recorded DVD (fortunately some copies were there in a shop in US) at least 25 times.

Some known and unknown people in the crowd couldn't stop tears flowing from their eyes. Truly touches your heart man!

Kudos to Jaya TV. They have made it so professional. Especially, the cover clip of Raja playing an endless piano is simply superb. The tune "thumbi vaa" he composed for the movie "Olangal" is played with the cover clip.

Great treat for your soul man. If you got an opportunity, don't miss it.

8-)

njv
17th January 2007, 10:06 AM
Prathidinam - Very good. Still liked the old one better
Rela Rela - Typical IRish song. Nothing exciting.
Kuilalo - Have a Kajuraho feel. Another IRish. Has 90's IR than 80's IR.
Nenu Veithki - My pick. Has 80's IR feel.
Ra gumma ra - Seems situational song. Good tune. Need to see this with movie. Tempo increases at 2:58 and doesnt seems like the song ended. May be thats how it ends in movie too. BTW which one is IR voice here?
Mallelo illesa - Starts with high tempo. Another situational song? 80's feel again. Very Good one. Was it some old tamil song? If not, it just has a nostalgia feeling.

Nothing new here, but nothing to be disappointed either.

Vkrish
17th January 2007, 12:59 PM
This is a telugu album, i feel most of the songs will look fresh and catchy for the telugu listeners. It is not right to compare this with his old tamil song as tunes of 'Pari..' is reproduced to a different set of listeners :?

Music4Ever
17th January 2007, 01:38 PM
sariyaa sollungappa, which song was composed by IR. Is it Ooru sanam or kuzhaloodhum kannanukku? As a MSV fan, I would prefer that MSV tuned ooru sanam, because I love that haunting number. It is the best of best of best songs in tamil, IMO. So question is:

Was ooru sanam composed by IR or MSV? KozhappAma sollunga. Thanks.

raja_fan
17th January 2007, 02:16 PM
Music4Ever ,

No confusion !

Kuzhaloodhum by IR.
All other songs in that movie were tuned by MSV.

Notice the rythm of ooru sanam. It is very much MSV style.

Music4Ever
17th January 2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks, raja-fan. I am delighted that ooru sanam is by MSV, no offence to IR fans :) What a haunting number.

app_engine
17th January 2007, 09:03 PM
Well, I'm glad that at least one song of MTK (that too kuzhaloodhum - my most fav in this film) had been acknowledged to have IR's tune:-) It was told in the forum all along that "MSV tunes & IR orchestration"...

thumburu
18th January 2007, 02:06 PM
To me all tunes in MTK except my most fav song "thedum kaN parvai" sound very MSVish. I have a nagging doubt if "thedum kaN parvai" tune is by IR. But that "chakkarakatti" must have been either GA or IR

rajasaranam
18th January 2007, 06:49 PM
more images from Anumanasapdam audio launch
http://www.ragalahari.com/press.asp?rel=anumaanaaspadamaudio

vijayr
18th January 2007, 10:43 PM
Thedum kaN paarvai is MSV, no doubt about it. The tune itself is highly MSV'ish with its classic ghazalish touches and gamakas. That was the most MSV-like song for me in the album. In "MSV yin isai payaNam" programme, SPB sang this song with MSV sitting next to him with his harmonium and was praising the opening note of the charanaM as something unexpected and surprising - he said "manakaNNal kaaNamudhiyaadha ondru". Whereas MSV deflected the praise and mentioned about IR's orchestration for the song as being very good.

To me dhil dhil manadhil sounded more IRish than a MSV-like tune. Not surprised that Kuzhaloodhum is an IR tune either. My pick of the album however as far as the tune goes is "Ooru sanam"

raja_fan
22nd January 2007, 04:12 PM
We know that leading young directors Saran and Gautham are IR fans, but do not go to him for their ventures.
I was surprised to see another ace director adding to the list. He is none other than Lingusamy.

I was reading the AV new year special edition ( two weeks old ). Lingusamy says in a interview "Ilaiyaraja-vukku isai, Shobanavukku naatiyam pola enakku direction kai vandha kalai-yaaga vendum. Adharkku romba dhooram poga vendiyirukku "

Dragun
3rd February 2007, 02:04 PM
[tscii:e514e9279c]http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=14379054

Hariharan’s Magnum Opus
By Moviebuzz | Wednesday, 31 January , 2007, 16:44

After 18 years, the classic trio- M.T. Vasudevan Nair the greatest living writer in Malayalam, Hariharan the master craftsman and Mammootty one of the finest actors in the country are together again to make a historical Pazhassi Raja. Rememeber that the last time they came together to create magic with Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha (1989).

The shoot of the film on Pazhassi Raja will begin in Palakkad in March. Mammootty plays the title role of a braveheart who fought the British in the jungles of Wayanad in the 1790’s. The producer of this big budget film is Gokulam Gopalan and the budget is Rs 6 to Rs 8 Crore, making it the costliest film ever in Malayalam.

Says Hariharan : “We had first toyed with the idea of a film on Payyampalli Chanthu, a warrior, and then we thought of making a film on Thalakkal Chanthu, Pazhassi Raja's lieutenant, as the hero. But eventually we realized that it was the story of Pazhassi himself that needed to be told, in a new light. In this film, we would be focussing on his valiant fight against the British.” The veteran director says he was attracted to Pazhassi's story because it was also the story of one of the first voices to be raised against British rule in India.

In fact Pazhassi Raja was one of our first freedom fighters who many people outside Kerala do not know. Added Hariharan: “The story of his life appealed to me also because it offered tremendous visual possibilities - the forests and the wars. Venu will be the cameraman and Ilayaraja will score the music. Among those in the cast at the moment is Manoj K. Jayan. Tamil actor Sarath Kumar is also likely to act in the film." [/tscii:e514e9279c]

itsmuls
6th February 2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/jan-07-04/30-01-07-mallika-sherawat.html

Mani - "Mallika is a real hard worker"
By Behindwoods News Bureau.
January 30, 2007

Mani is obviously ..........

Speaking about his association with musicians Mani expressed his eagerness to work with Ilayaraja to revive their hit combination. However, I need to frame scripts to be able to associate with Ilayaraja, he added.

Mani threw .........

Hulkster
6th February 2007, 05:37 PM
Frame scripts? IR is a versatile composer...all he needs a script that is new from the usual movie scripts we see nowadays :D

app_engine
6th February 2007, 08:54 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=314079&disdate=2/6/2007

A story of rAjAthi rAjA's "platinum disc"...:-)

raja_fan
6th February 2007, 09:40 PM
Does Behindwoods copy Mani's interview in Kumudam ?

If not so, if Mani has voiced the same wish twice, then there is something credible in his mind. I pray God that somehow these two giants unite once again and create magic.

Probably Suhasini is behind this effort ?!

teja
7th February 2007, 05:33 AM
Interview with Anumanaspadam producer.

http://idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/chitchat-satishthati.html

How was it like meeting Ilayaraja?
WE (me and Vamsi) approached Ilayaraja together. He listened to the story and immediately gave a go ahead. He also felt happy that there is lot of scope for rerecording. He advised Vamsi to keep minimal dialogues in the film so that there will be more scope for rerecording. He challengingly said that the first copy of the film should be so good that he should not get sleep that night as he would spend worrying about how to provide excellent RR. On the lighter side, we screened him the film at 9:30 pm and it was almost 12:30 am by the time, film was over.

buggle
14th February 2007, 01:19 AM
IR seen alone in Vidyasagar daughter wedding reception, whereas in Vijay Yesudas wedding reception it was only his wife Jeeva attended it seems...

Check out indiaglitz videos....

raja_fan
14th February 2007, 11:16 AM
IR attending a wedding function ? that too of another music director ?! That means IR has good respect for Vidya sagar.

I was always thinking there is some telepathic connection between these two fellows :) Many tunes of either of these have similarities to the other !

raja_fan
14th February 2007, 12:15 PM
buggle,

btw..what is your problem in IR attending without his wife :)

Hulkster
14th February 2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah not to mention aadiyiley kaathu adicha in villain which would have been passed off as a IR pathos bit song.

Raja_fan sir..kobam vendam...buggle raja always comes alone except for certain functions where he is very close to the personality involved...i think he could not make it for the vijay yesudoss(KJY is close to IR) wedding so he sent his wife as a representative and for the vidyasagar function he went alone as is the norm for such functions. :D

rajasaranam
14th February 2007, 05:25 PM
Does anyone have an idea when this album was released :?:
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/V000373.html
I think i posted the same question earlier too. The song by hariharan and kamalhassan is interchanged. I doubt is it really by IR :?

irir123
14th February 2007, 10:11 PM
rajasaranam - thats not a movie, it is a non-filmy album called "Meri jaan hindustan" or something like that - it had some good tracks by MM Keeravanai and a few others - but IR's track with Kamal was atrocious in every aspect, the tune, the instrument arrangement everything! even I suspect if it was really IR

buggle
15th February 2007, 02:21 AM
buggle,

btw..what is your problem in IR attending without his wife :)

raja_fan, i dont have any problem, i just put that as a statement..

rajasaranam
16th February 2007, 07:38 PM
thanks irir
for the info. though there are some traces of raaja in that song i cant relate to it, in anyway with raaja thats why i wanted to know :)
Btw did you listen to the tracks of KR from the same page that too was pretty amateurish IMO :(

app_engine
16th February 2007, 11:42 PM
MSV convalescing after surgery...Raja was among the few faithfuls who paid a visit...

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-02-21/pg8.php

Raja telling thathuvams...
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-02-21/pg9.php

rajasaranam
5th March 2007, 05:42 PM
I've been seeing the AD of Kutrapathirikkai couple of times in Dinathanthi and i think there are no takers for the film and its release is being delayed :cry:

rajasaranam
5th March 2007, 05:51 PM
in yesterdays launch of Anbudan Program in suntv hosted by gauthami she interviewed Kamal.
Kamal was asked by KSRavikumar to chant some sanskrit slokas and he did chant a sloka from Adisankarar and said the meaning of the sloka like if godliness is there in a brahmin or a sandala it is more meaningful in praying them not looking at the caste and other things. He went ahead saying he has seen the same qualities of enlightenment [gnanam] in periyaar, adisankara.... and Ilaiyaraaja and he bows to them all.
When Ilaiyaraaja was asked to comment upon kamal He said "Avar achieve pannatha vishayam onnu irukku atha naan ippa solla maaten avar achieve panna apram solraen"
For that Kamal commented "onnum illa Saami kumbida solvaaru avaru, avarukku theriyaathu, naan saami kumbida aarambichu romba naal aachu aathunaalathaan avara kumbittuttu irukaen " :)

rajasaranam
5th March 2007, 05:55 PM
Ilayaraja : Mumbai Express - Where Crime Meets Confusion

This isn't the kind of music the Sea Of Tranquility usually covers. But some time ago we reviewed a piece called Ilayaraja's Music Journey, which was being distributed by prog-meister label ReR Records. It was a pure Indian piece - complete with sitar and that distinctive melodic Indian singing style with its long warbled notes; and not being very familiar with that genre of music, reviewing it was a challenge. That review led to us receiving a review copy of another, very different Ilayaraja piece, Where Crime Meets Confusion, a far more approachable but nevertheless very Indian album. Very different from the previous record we reviewed - this one is the soundtrack to a Bollywood movie made by Kamal Hassan. (In case you aren't aware, Bollywood is the nickname given to the Hindi language Mumbai - aka Bombay - based film industry in India. It is the biggest film industry in the world with over 1,000 movies a year.) Click here to see a review of the movie - with its convoluted and lightly humorous plot.

Where Crime Meets Confusion contains a bit of everything. There's a very jazzy section in "Monkey Chatter" with a synth-pop rhythm and staccato piano style, that could have been at home on any continent. There are pure movie sound-track atmospheric sections, "Bander Ki Dug Dugi" is an interesting vocals-oriented piece with a lilting rhythm carried by upbeat singing in a not-quite-western style - that isn't quite Indian either. There are plenty of spoken-voice sections, but not knowing the language, and because the CD comes with the bare minimum of artwork, and no booklet, we don't have a clue about the storyline.

One of the highlights of the album are the very pretty female vocals in a soft, midrange soubrette-like style. Some of the female spoken-voice sections are quite attractive as well, with an accentuated and unusual (to Western ears) sing-song lilt often associated with the Gujarati languages.

The album ends with 9-minute piece with three minutes of what sounds like an unskilled child actor in dialog with older actors, and develops into a soft ballad with barely a hint of the Indian vocal style - a sort of 50/50 fusion of Indian and Western styles.

So we're very much out of our element with this one, and we probably won't delve into this territory again - preferring to stick with our more familiar progressive genres - but you just might get a kick out of it. Not progressive, and certainly not rock, but the compositions are solid, the performances are very professional, it's more Western-oriented than most Indian music, and you might find it enjoyable.

Track Listing:
# Aila Re (Part 1)
# Pyar Chahiye (Part 1)
# Bandar Ki Du Dugi
# Monkey Chatter
# Aila Re (Part 2)
# Pyar Chahiye (Part 2)

Added: March 1st 2007
Reviewer: Duncan Glenday
Score:
Related Link: The Artist's Website
Hits: 396
Language: english

thumburu
5th March 2007, 06:09 PM
Kamal never fails to mention IR in his interviews and last night's sunTV programme featuring Gowthami's interview with Kamal was no exception. Kamal includes IR among the spiritually evolved souls like Adishankara[Kamal quoted a sanskrit sloka of Shankara too !!!], Periyar etc. They showed a very brief clipping of IR saying Kamal has one achievement left and when that happens ,he would reveal what it is :) . I feel Kamal mistook it as theism . I personally feel it is Music Direction which IR might have hinted.

irir123
5th March 2007, 11:25 PM
perhaps IR was hinting at Academy Awards ??

rajasaranam
5th March 2007, 11:38 PM
. I feel Kamal mistook it as theism . I personally feel it is Music Direction which IR might have hinted.

Yeah i too felt the same :oops:

app_engine
12th March 2007, 08:45 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/cheran_070308.html

Has Panju produced 65 films? Does anyone have a list?...
(This report says Raja has done music for 62 of them...)

app_engine
12th March 2007, 08:46 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/cheran_070308.html

Has Panju produced 65 films? Does anyone have a list?...
(This report says Raja has done music for 62 of them...)

app_engine
12th March 2007, 08:47 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=321536&disdate=3/12/2007

RVU confirms IR had misunderstanding with AVM...

jagannn2210
13th March 2007, 01:21 PM
could you please translate the above text

thumburu
14th March 2007, 06:31 PM
app_engine , I think the other 3 movies like "mayangugiraaL oru maadhu", "kaalangaLil avaL vasantham" etc had lilting music by Vijayabhaskar

Sanjeevi
15th March 2007, 01:03 AM
:clap:

http://in.tamil.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/0703/14/1070314057_1.htm

எழுத்தாளர்களை கவுரவிக்கும் இளையராஜா
திரையுலகில் மிகவும் வித்தியசமான ஒரு மனிதர் உண்டு என்றால், நிச்சயம் அது இளையராஜாதான்!.

சிம்பொனி, திருவாசகம் என்று உலகெங்கும் இசையில் பல சாதனைகளைச் செய்த இளையராஜா, விரைவில் இலக்கியப் பேரவை ஒன்றை தொடங்கவுள்ளாராம். அதன்மூலம் இலக்கியவாதிகளை தேர்வு செய்து ரொக்கப்பரிசும், இளையராஜா விருதும் வழங்க திட்டமிட்டுள்ளார்.

தமிழறிஞர் பா.நமச்சிவாயம், எழுத்தாளர் வண்ணதாசன் ஆகியோருக்கு தலா ரூ.2 லட்சம் பரிசுத்தொகை வழங்க இருக்கிறார்கள். சேதுபதி, பழனிபாரதி ஆகியோருக்கு 50 ஆயிரம் ரூபாய் ரொக்கப்பரிசும், இளையராஜா விருதும் வழங்கப்படவுள்ளது.

இளையராஜாவின் இன்னிசையுடன் நடக்கும் இவ்விழாவில் பாடகர்களும், சினிமா பாடலாசிரியர்களும், இலக்கியவாதிகளும் கலந்து கொள்ளவுள்ளனர்

rajasaranam
19th March 2007, 09:10 PM
Today morning i saw a programme in suntv - The interview with kavingnar Muthulingam.
the interview was good and when asked upon who is the composer he admire most. He replied that he has worked with many composers like MSV, chandrabose, sankar ganesh, Ilaiyaraaja etc., after that he said....
Aana ivanga ellar vidavum Ilaiyaraaja'va avar thamizh pulamaikkaaga pudikkum. Isai gnanam mattum illama thamizh pulamailayum avar gnani thaan. neraya vishayam avar solli en thamizha valarthukitten. Utharnama Mannukkum manalukkum enna vithyasamnnu oru thadavai kaettaar enakku theriyala....Romba neram kazhichi avaraye kaettaen.
appa avar kaettar Athu manalla, kolathu manalla ellam utgarntha athu unga mela ottumma ottathaannu. naan ottathu thatti vitta uthirnthudumnnu sonnen. Semmannalla utkaarntha ottummannu kaettar. Naan aamam Thattinna kooda karai irukkummnnu sonnaen. Avar sonnar athaan artham 'Mann' Enbathu ottum manal enbathu ottathu. Ottathatharkku 'Al' ena oru artham undu athaan mann+Al=manal nnu sonnar.
Apram oru thadavai "En nandri kondrakkum uyvundaam Uyvillai sei nandri Kondra magarkku" artham sollungannu kaettaar. Naan Vazhakamma ellarum solrathu pola 'Entha nandri maranthavanukkum mannippu undu aana innorthar senja uthaviya maranthavarkku mannipe kidaiyathunnu sonnaen. Avar sonnar Appa nandridrathu enna? yaaravathu uthavi senja atharkku kadamai paduvathu thaane? neenga 100 rubbai kudutha athu enakku neenga senja uthavi athuvum sei nandri kulla vanthudum. athu madhiri entha uthaviyum Sei nandri kulla thaan varum. Aana ithulla ullarntha artham ennanna-athu madhiri entha nandri ya vena maranthutta mannippu undu aana 'Nammala pethu valarthu aalakinna amma appa thaan nammala senjavanga avangala maranthutta namakku mannipe kidaiyathunnu "Sei nandri kondra magarkku"nnu valluvar solraar. Magar nna makkalnnu artham illa pillaigalnnu artham eduthukanumnnu sonnaar. Parimezhagar sollatha, Naavalar sollatha innum ethanai ethanai thamizh kavignargal Kuralukku urai ezhuthinvanga sollatha arthatha avar kitta thaan therinjikitaaen.
"Ilaiyaraajava engalukku vaaippu kudukiraar enbatharkaaga pughazha villai avar aazhntha gnanathaai paarthu viyanthu avara pugazhrom"
Thus ended this programme with me too getting enlightened on a single KURAL of Thiruvalluvar :)

app_engine
19th March 2007, 09:36 PM
rs, IR wrote this explanation once in AV also (during a series which published some nice pictures taken by Raja as well). That time Raja went on to write like ...ellA kaimARumE nanRi dhAnE? Why only this `sei nanRi' is inexcusable?...and provided his own...which is kind of a different and logical thought...

While his thamizh knowledge is commendable, it's our sincere wish that he tries less on things like writing lyric etc. because it can affect his isai vELvi...(We don't want IR ashtAwadhAni but IR the musician:-))

thinkfloyd
22nd March 2007, 07:46 AM
Another on Mumbai Express

http://sunson.livejournal.com/113364.html

thinkfloyd
22nd March 2007, 07:48 AM
Another on Mumbai Express

http://sunson.livejournal.com/113364.html

I liked one comment there in particular, about "Oru Kili Urugudhu" and "The Merku Paruva Kaathu"...

selvakumar
22nd March 2007, 04:54 PM
KUTRA PATHIRIKKAI

I watched KP trailor at SRI BALAJI theatre, bangalore. It has been listed in the coming soon section. Currently the theatre is running MOZHI. After this, KP may release here.

On the trailor:
The trailor looks stunning and it is a typical R.K.SELVAMANI movie. I got the feel of "Captain Prabhakaran" + "Makkal Aatchi". The intro music was too good.

I felt like travelling in a time machine back to the 90s.

Having said that, I am expecting this movie a lot. :)

Fliflo
23rd March 2007, 01:46 AM
ஒரே மேடையில் இளையராஜா-பாரதிராஜா!

19 மார்ச் 2007

Blog this story Blog this story

எல்லோர மூவி கிளப் பட நிறுவனம் சார்பில் ராஜ்பா ரவிஷங்கர் தமிழ், தெலுங்கு, மலையாளம், கன்னடம் ஆகிய மொழிகளில் தயாரிக்கும் அஜந்தா படத்துக்காக 36 பாடல்கள் பதிவு செய்யப்பட்டது. ஒரே இசையமைப்பாளர் இசையமைப்பில், ஒரே படத்துக்காக இத்தனை பாடல்கள் பதிவு செய்யப்பட்டது உலகத்திலேயே இதுதான் முதன்முறை என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

இப்படத்தின் ஆடியோ கேஸட் வெளியீட்டு விழா மார்ச் 27ம் தேதி மதுரையில் அரசு மருத்துவக் கல்லூரி மைதானத்தில் மாலை 6.00 மணியளவில் நடைபெறவிருக்கிறது.

இப்படத்தின் ஆடியோ சி.டி.யை இளையராஜா வெளியிட, பாரதிராஜா பெற்றுக் கொள்கிறார். ஆடியோ கேஸட்டை இளையராஜா வெளியிட, இயக்குநர் சேரன் பெற்றுக் கொள்கிறார்.

இந்திய சினிமா வரலாற்றிலேயே திறந்தவெளி அரங்கில், மக்கள் முன்னிலையில் திரைப்பட ஆடியோ கேஸட் வெளியீட்டு விழா நடைபெறுவது இதுதான் முதல் முறை! அதோடு, இசைஞானி இளையராஜா திறந்த வெளி அரங்கில் ஆடியோ வெளியீட்டு விழாவுக்காக இன்னிசை நிகழ்ச்சி நடத்துவதும் இதுவே முதல் முறை!

அஜந்தா படத்தின் பாடல் வெளியீட்டு விழாவைத் தொடர்ந்து, இசைஞானி இலக்கியப் பேரவை துவக்க விழாவும், தமிழ் இலக்கியத்தில் சாதனை புரிந்த சாதனையாளர்களுக்கு பதக்கமும், பரிசும் வழங்கப்படவிருக்கிறது.

பா.நமச்சிவாயம் அவர்களுக்கு தமிழறிஞர் விருதும் இரண்டு லட்சம் ரொக்கப்பரிசும், வண்ணதாசன் அவர்களுக்கு படைப்பிலக்கிய விருதும் இரண்டு லட்ச ரொக்கப் பரிசும், சேதுபதி, பழநிபாரதி இருவருக்கும் இசைஞானி இளையராஜா விருதுடன் ஐம்பதாயிரம் ரொக்கப்பரிசும் வழங்கப்படவிருக்கிறது.

http://content.msn.co.in/Tamil/Entertainment/Articles/0703-19-1.htm#top[/tscii]

rajasaranam
1st April 2007, 05:22 PM
This week's vikatan carries Bharathiraja's interview wherein he has said that his dream project kutra parambarai is ready to go on floors soon and that IR and himself are rejoining for this epic movie. :bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump: :clap: :thumbsup:
The story is set in british India With himself acting as sethupathi kizhavan and cheran donning the role of policeman. rathnakumar pens the dialogues :) Can wait anymore :bluejump:

raja_fan
1st April 2007, 08:36 PM
Vow !! Great news indeed. Thanks Rajasaranam.

It would be great if Vairamuthu is also in the team..Any info on that ?

Anyways, it will create some expectation if not great expectation ( as both BR and IR are not in their peak ).

But I am sure the songs will be just great for sure :bluejump:

Interestingly BR-IR separated in a British India story "Nadodi Thendral" and re-uniting on a similar movie :)

This also indicates IR is changing his adamant decisions..so with MR too expressing his desire to do a film with IR, we cannot deny a MR-IR reunite !!

raja_fan
1st April 2007, 08:49 PM
btw..is the hero Vikram ??

app_engine
2nd April 2007, 07:33 PM
>>Interestingly BR-IR separated in a British India story "Nadodi Thendral" and re-uniting on a similar movie<<

I think BR-IR did 'ennuyir thOzhan' and 'pudhu nellu, pudhu nAththu' after nAdOdi thendRal...

Personally I wish there're no songs for 'kutRa parambarai' (at least no 'love' songs:-))...

raja_fan
2nd April 2007, 08:31 PM
app_engine,

AFAIK Nadodi thendral was the last film ( now latest :) ) of BR-IR combination.

Interestingly the story was by Ilaiyaraja himself. Not sure if it is the cause of the issue between them..

Other films mentioned by you came before this.

app_engine
2nd April 2007, 11:30 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/05/stories/2007030504530200.htm

Awards named after MSV, IR...

itsmuls
10th April 2007, 10:49 AM
[tscii:eb38a1f761]http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/10/stories/2007041016331400.htm

Indian Music Academy awards presented

The nation has a tremendous potential in music: Kalam

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/10/images/2007041016331401.jpg Photos: S. Subramanium

PLACE IN THE HALL OF FAME: President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam honours Carnatic musician Balamuralikrishna with a place in the Indian Music Academy Hall of Fame, at a function in New Delhi on Monday to mark the second year of the Indian Music Academy. Being honoured similarly are: playback singer Asha Bhonsle; music composer Ilayaraja; and classical singer Girija Devi.

NEW DELHI: Evergreen melody queen Asha Bhonsle and music composer Illayaraja were among five persons honoured by President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam on Monday with the prestigious Indian Music Academy awards.

The 73-year-old Bhonsle received the award from Mr. Kalam at a function organised here during which Illayaraja, vocalist Balamuralikrishna and Hindustani singer Girija Devi were also honoured.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/10/images/2007041016331402.jpg

The 84-year-old sarod maestro, Ali Akbar Khan, who was also selected for the award, could not make it to the function owing to ill health.

"I feel that the nation has a tremendous potential in music and performing arts. Particularly our north-eastern States have unique talent in music and dance," the President said.

The President said he was working with the Department of Culture for mobilising students from various performing arts institutions to give performances at correction homes, prisons, orphanages and schools for special children.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/10/images/2007041016331403.jpg

"To enable organisation of such performances, the Rashtrapati Bhavan will provide Rs 10 lakh'' and a mechanism would be worked out for the formation of a trust which could be entrusted with this noble mission, he said.

Musical garden

Mr. Kalam said the Rashtrapati Bhavan was also considering opening up of the musical garden on certain days when artistes can perform in the backdrop of a musical fountain.

When a physically or visually challenged person derives happiness by singing for others, it becomes the most important aspect of music, Mr. Kalam said giving two examples to illustrate his point.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/10/images/2007041016331404.jpg

The first was when a visually challenged woman sang before receiving a Sangeet Natak Akademi award from him in 2005.

On the other occasion, the President said, he was astounded by the cheerfulness of an award-winning musician with no hands or legs who sang for him at Rashtrapati Bhavan.

"In this unique case, I have seen music has removed the pain of a physical challenge," said Mr. Kalam. — PTI[/tscii:eb38a1f761]

app_engine
11th April 2007, 01:04 AM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=328150&disdate=4/10/2007

ஹூம்..ஒரு ஃபோட்டோ கூடக்கிடையாதா? வாழ்க தமிழ்ப்பத்திரிகை உலகம்!...

app_engine
11th April 2007, 01:10 AM
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/showbiz/04_2007/cheeni-kum-is-about-sweet-nothings-37745.html

mandRam vandha thendRalukku = cheeni kum...

vigneshram
17th April 2007, 09:15 PM
I've posted a photo in my blog. Identify the little boy and post comments...

http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/04/guess-who.html

or www.vigneshram.com

raja_fan
18th April 2007, 09:57 AM
It should be Karthik Raja ?

vigneshram
18th April 2007, 01:02 PM

No, Not KarthikRaja

dakaltiz
18th April 2007, 03:10 PM
then is it yuvan?

vigneshram
19th April 2007, 12:44 PM

No, Not KarthikRaja

Check out for yourself and with an interview scan from olden days Dailythanthi

http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/04/guessed-right.html
or

www.vigneshram.com

muzammil_fr
21st April 2007, 11:28 PM
A Gift For IRFANS from ARRFANS :)
Inimey Naangathaan
Inimey Naangathaan - V4 is a 96-minute Tamil feature film to be released worldwide by late January 2007.

The film has several firsts to its credit.

This is India's first animated movie in a regional language.

India's first non-mythological animated film with original story line

1st 3D Tamil animation movie with 2K resolution

At par with International animation standards

1st movie to release in analogue/digital/IMAX & 3D versions.

1st Tamil movie to release in many languages worldwide.

The movie has the association of several leading professionals like maestro Ilayaraja, editor Lenin, dance master Shiv Shankar and lyricist Vaali.

Click here http://www.uyirvani.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16865 for Thirai Kannotam (Review of this movie) from sun tv, lot of clips are in video, Enjoy Guys.

crvenky
23rd April 2007, 12:54 PM
Maestro's life history (part 1 of the series) in Tamil:

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=330994&disdate=4/23/2007

Sanjeevi
23rd April 2007, 02:31 PM
Maestro's life history (part 1 of the series) in Tamil:

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=330994&disdate=4/23/2007

I think, already dailythanthi has published the same article series. Now they started for second time. Needless to say, Ilaiyaraja is one of commercial elements/icons of TN.

rajasaranam
23rd April 2007, 06:27 PM
[tscii:48885e3201]an Article/answer in a forum which i immensly enjoyed

WHAT IS INDIAN SYMPHONY AND WHY IS THIRUVASAKAM IN SYMPHONY SPECIAL THAN OTHER FUSION MUSIC COMPOSITIONS?

MODERN MUSIC THOUGHTS IN MAESTRO ILAIYARAAJA

“If you are patient enough to read you may learn a lot I guess”

First of all Indian music’s foundations are horizontal structures called melody. Since it concentrates on melody alone enormous experiments were conducted by many generations, before several unknown centuries, to build up melodic systems and its usage. Western music’s specialty is it’s vertical structures, the harmony but also involves melody. The melody the west uses is different from the Indian melody because of the usage of scales and tones. Though the Indian musicians felt the harmony by mind while they created melodic compositions, they didn’t try to introduce harmony into their music systems and just concentrated on making the melodic usage more and more complex in its content and easier in its usage and understanding. There are certain ways and methods of music education by which Indian music education can be learnt in a decade but the to what extent is always a doubt because it has formatted a system for itself which includes all natural sound substances available in nature (which our ear hears) whereas the west operates on fixed sounds following an uniquely accepted music system all over the world “The chromatic scale system”. Though music is periodic and involves octaves (stayi), the number of scales (ragas) experimented by many folks is unimaginable and almost the Indian music grammar covers almost all harmonic contents of tones. For example the “Moving tones”(Gamakkam) where different types of shaking the fixed note (in relation to chromatic) takes place where different additions and omissions of harmonic contents may result in different ragas. Infact the truth is Melody is made up of harmony. Harmony is the mother of melody. The melody and harmony are inseparable. It’s a very tough concept to understand but it’s the truth.

Astounding!!! And that’s why to master Indian music it will take almost 3/4th of your life. Not only this there are many more complex rules, which minutely makes one raga different from other raga. For example the ascending and descending of scales (arohanam and avarohanam). The universal pentatonic scale is referred to “raga mohanam in Indian music” but to say the truth its different because of some more minute melodic (harmonic) details which chromatic fails to give.

Many more complex rules govern Indian classical music system. As how difficult it’s to perform a grand symphony, it’s very very hard to become a genius in Indian classical music. Indian classical music is mastered by pundits who will always hesitate to enter the western classical domain as its one another tough music system. One can
hardly point out music composers who are really really into both classical music domains. Maestro Ilaiyaraaja is therefore ahead of all music composers.

Western classical composition and making grand symphony needs brainwork to harmonize the contents in brain and write as score. Mastering Indian classical to the maximum possible extent are not possible in ones life time of 80 years. Ilaiyaraaja has achieved this in 50 years. “Mel harmony by Ravikiran is great work left for humanity but still I doubt if Maestro Ravikiran can handle his own western classical symphonic composition and orchestration. Besides these Ilaiyaraaja has almost touched all parts of the world either jazz, blues, souls, Chinese or German folk all in his film scores.

His non-film albums like “chamber welcomes thiagarajar” is a blow for “Western classical musicians who believe that their music system is the greatest as the notes played in the composition will make one think if its fixed note or a moving note”. To say one more truth, the absolute pitch musicians don’t play the perfect pitch in
reality. The vibrato which our ear like = absolute pitch+ a slight deviation from absolute pitch. If this slight deviation is not there, we wont like the sound. We like string effect. What happens in a string section of orchestra? Each string player play notes slightly deviating from the note on the score sheet. All these random pitch
variations add up causing the effect, making us feel the great sound. So its not the argument that we humans like big sounds.

Mozart I love you is based on an assumption if “Mozart plays kalyani rag, I guess. Not sure of it.
Watch the mathematical musician Bach playing moving notes. “I met Bach in his house” is a fusion of Indian rag with Bach’s compositions.
Hear “You can't be free” and just you could not believe how Indian tones are harmonized with fixed tonal system. Listen how he tries to avoid fixed notes in weak accented beats thereby intelligently succeeds in harmonizing the raga with a string quartet. He introduces silence where fixed note can’t be harmonized with moving note (the gammkam)
“Song of the soul” is an Indian classical jazz-fusion.

The exceptional music composer’s compositions have gone unnoticed. The Illaiyaraja Grand symphony 1 is not released and the reason should be the attitude of Western classical musicians who could not hear anything other than that tones fixed in the London music conference, May 1939.

I hope folks can now understand who is Ilaiyaraaja and why he is special. There are many in the world that could write music by mind but most of them would be fixed note specialists. Ask them to write an Asian classical-Western classical fusion, they could not as what they believe as music is that 12 notes and that’s it.Ilaiyaraaja can write for a total western classical orchestra and also for a fusion orchestra, which means all natural sounds, can be represented on sheet by his mind.

Do you now feel the difference?

If you ask a question “Friend!! Many have did fusion music; my reply would be “sir! Most of the fusion would be fusion of either American and German or Russian and French all of which are based on fixed tonal system, which is of course quite possible if you could understand the music culture of both domains but this is a fusion of entirely different systems, which are strongly experimented in the past. Fusing folk with a classical system is great but also not as challenging as this “thiruvaskam in symphony” does as folk music is not much experimented with much grammatical expectations”. You are free to compose the way you want. You are free to mould the music, twist it the way you want. Western classical and blues, jazz-fusion is also kindred.

To me Ilaiyaraaja is the world’s best Composer because I think this way: What if Tamil is the world’s highly spoken language and Tamil culture is widely followed on earth. Mr.Thanikachalam is not going to say Mozart as the best composer and Mr.Parthasarathy is not going to mention “The Beatles music troupe”. Ilaiyaraaja is the single sole man (not a music band of 4) who does all by himself from composition, arrangement, conducting to sometime even sitting in the console mixing tracks. His ideas ranges from Indian, western, American to computer music.
If you could then argue there will be more competition and more talents, if Tamil becomes world’s highly used culture, I can take India musicians into account. Nobody in India has satisfied common man, Indian pundits and foreign pundits at the same time. Give me one great example I will accept my argument and surrender. But unfortunately you can’t even mention one such composer other than ilaiyaraaja and therefore my argument is proved. Ilaiyaraaja should be seen from different points to understand his genius.

He is a special composer of our age and we are failing to give him the right acknowledgement. For me stevie wonder is great composer and singer and I love his voice in “I just want to say I love you” but my culture want “yengae sellum indha padai” the maestro’s trademark voice in me. I’m from Indian culture and who is “Schubert for tom”, so is Ilaiyaraaja for me. Even if you throw out the culture discussion, 900 movies in a span of 25 years. All are not one and a half hour movies but 3 hours. All done in 3 to 10 days time. Neither Beethoven, Neither Michael Jackson, Neither Beatles, Neither Elvis Presley, James Horner could accomplish this. Leave out our local music composers; they haven’t touched all classical domains in the world.

Don’t bring the old film works inspired by world musicians, which are few in number. That old ilaiyaraaja is gone before 20 years. Who is ilaiyaraaja now? How did he turn himself to a music colossus?

Ask a foreigner what is Indian music? He replies so naively “sitar and tabla music”. I don’t blame the genius of Ravi Shankar or zakir Hussein. Many argue that they were the musicians who took our music to foreign. My answer to them is “No”. They didn’t take our music to them but they created a “Curiosity in foreigners about Indian music”. A theoretical explanation before a raga concert in “Ohio concert hall” will never make a foreigner understand our music but a practical composition made like thiruvasakam in symphony or “you can’t be free” or “study for violin” will achieve it. Those compositions haven’t reached even Indians and that’s because we are poor souls to acknowledge great composers but future will certainly hail Maestro Ilaiyaraaja’s compositions. May be after a century.

I believe that Ilaiyaraaja is most modern in his music thoughts but personally I believe music is nothing but sound and music came first and then singing. The evolution process would explain everything. I?m against ilaiyaraaja in only some details like music comes by Birth. It?s true to some extent that some genetic factors are involved in making complete musicians of future but you don?t have all ready in you. Music comes by learning. Another one negative, which Ilaiyaraaja says, ?Computers don?t generate emotions?. Thayaga brahmam didn?t perform with a mike; Bach didn?t have ?Euphonix? recording system to record his D minor. Today we need electronics for all music, we need digital systems to record music, all digital things are computers and I feel no way we can predict if Computers could or cant generate emotions. If the entire music world revolves round Digital music, why don?t machines generate emotions? Experiments will always turn into something. Earth turned from flat to round; Moon turned from non-reachable to reachable. Though we live in an unknown world, logically some approximations have made us feel developments. To say the truth I would like to bring to notice of Maestro that scientists have successfully made computers to generate emotions to some extent. Maestro is always young in his learning for music so he will like this news. Computer music and synthesized music may not be liked by many because it doesn?t come from soul or the compositions by language programming are not artistic but it?s a start for human?s different approach to music turning away from performance, production and playing and who knows it may take us to new ways and approaches in music. I?m personally very modern in my thinking for music. I see music as sound and not music as music. Were the first musicians on earth were born with a trombone?

The original page can be found here:
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=003ZrO[/tscii:48885e3201]

buggle
23rd April 2007, 06:58 PM
Nice write-up thx RS..

Hulkster
24th April 2007, 07:54 AM
That write-up shows just how unique and complicated our IR is at composing music....i always feel IR must have broke no sweat at arranging the counterpoints in the prelude and interludes of anandha raagam...as the writer said..he is already the best..problem is nobody givens him proper acknowledgement :cry2:

MumbaiRamki
24th April 2007, 01:36 PM
nice write up RS ,
But i dont agree the view that he is the greatest composer in the world !!

Sanjeevi
24th April 2007, 02:11 PM
nice write up RS ,
But i dont agree the view that he is the greatest composer in the world !!

hi if you don't, please read like this

he is one of the greatest composers in the world

No problem :)

MumbaiRamki
25th April 2007, 09:18 AM
sanjeevi ,
Exactly !
I mentioned it ,especially its a flavour for tamilians that their actors/MDs/directors are best in the world ,without listening to the other composers in the world ..

No doubt that IR's music has brought a postive effect in our lives !!

ananth222
25th April 2007, 10:38 PM
its a flavour for tamilians that their actors/MDs/directors are best in the world ,without listening to the other composers in the world ..

Firstly, that is the flavor of almost every community in the world. Unfortunately, its only the flavor of Tamilians/Indians to put down their own kind - especially for legends like Ganguly, Tendulkar, ARR, IR and many others.

Secondly, appreciation in arts is purely subjective. All one can do is state his opinion, and say why he thinks so. To me IR is the greatest, just for the sheer number and range of his tunes that are good in a deeply moving way (which is again subjective).

vnkatkumar
26th April 2007, 11:47 AM
i'd beg to differ with Ananth in that tamilians don't appreciate homegrown talent .IR is definitely a gr8 composer ,a phenomenon , however isn't that what every good md supposed to make a listener feel when he listens to their creations, that is the making of a gr8 composer.In retrospect may be the number of gr8 songs and their depth,orchestration and arrangement could elevate the status of the MD but art is best appreciated in absolution and not in relativity. It is commmon to compare Creators with one another , a practice that stems out of lack of awareness and Exposure to art. We need to realise that Ir , ARR , Vidyasagar , HJ ,Deva ,etc are not good or bad because of their counterpart's music quality but their own.Each have their own specialities Deva's ganas r no way inferior or lack originality compared to IR's folk tunes.Let us appreciate quality music no mater whose it is at the same time try not to encourage trash stuff YSR comes out with, guess no IR ,ARR fan who appreciates good orchestration would ever even listen to ysr's flat and shallow nos.He seldom comes out with quality music, that was an example of trash .

MumbaiRamki
26th April 2007, 12:16 PM
Firstly, that is the flavor of almost every community in the world. Unfortunately, its only the flavor of Tamilians/Indians to put down their own kind - especially for legends like Ganguly, Tendulkar, ARR, IR and many others.

Secondly, appreciation in arts is purely subjective. .

You may be correct when you said most communities are like this .But one look at the BBC poll ,we can know how rakkammaa and Vande Matharam found its place ,by sheer population .The whole of North India could not push a single hindi song for that matter .

Secondly, appreciation in arts is purely subjectiv- is definetely correct ,but narrowing taste (like some IR yahoogroups fan club members ) to a level ' For me ,IR music is sufficent ,i dont have to hear anything else and HENCE he is the greatest' is deplorable !!

Yes ,one of IR yahoogroups fan club member made this comment like the one above .On one hand ,i was very happy to see the influence of Raaja's music but on the other hand i was a bit puzzled that taste has become narrowed down .To be honest in my case ,i started hearing Jazz,carntic ,western classics only after hearing Raaja's 80 classics in 2001-2002 !!!!!!

teja
28th April 2007, 12:37 PM
[tscii:7eac48f9f6]Ilayaraja’s music for Mallepuvvu
http://www.telugucinema.com/tc/news/mallepuvvu_apr2707.php[/tscii:7eac48f9f6]

natha1729
29th April 2007, 10:59 PM
Ramki, at times i also have my doubts about IR when i hear immaculate and so many complex compositions of msv, devarajan and arjunan (3 amazing geniuses). msv was way ahead of ir in giving original complex interludes, for example (in a song like pottu vaitha mugama) and also melodic perfection was achieved by those 3 easily and consistentl than most others.

But, IR is still way ahead of the times, especially his presentation of musical expression is layered for all types of listeners in any one song, that is versatility and comfort beyond any composer' wildest imagination.

Rajarasanam is totally right, and I can go further with newer insights that IR cannot be touched, I am sure like Shakespeare cannot be matched anymore even after 500 years, because the age of music like classic literature has came and left, in which the greatest moment saw the emergence of a genius that scoped what else was not done and could not be doen and cannot be done, rode on the inspiration of the times for the world to savor for centuries to come when they can catch up with the intrinsics of the offerings from Raaja.

app_engine
1st May 2007, 09:01 PM
Some nice references to the maestro...
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2007/04/29/stories/2007042900160500.htm

app_engine
5th May 2007, 12:17 AM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-05-09/pg5.php

ராசாவின் வாரிசுகள் உரையாடல்..

raaja_rasigan
5th May 2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-05-09/pg5.php

ராசாவின் வாரிசுகள் உரையாடல்..

This is a pay site... so here are some interesting news present in the article:

* All the songs in vaidheg kathirundhaal are composed & recorded in a single day

* complete re-recording of sigappu rojakkal is done in 1 1/2 (one & a half) day

endrun isai raja engal Ilayaraaja :D :thumbsup:

rooky
6th May 2007, 03:02 PM
i'd beg to differ with Ananth in that tamilians don't appreciate homegrown talent .IR is definitely a gr8 composer ,a phenomenon , however isn't that what every good md supposed to make a listener feel when he listens to their creations, that is the making of a gr8 composer.In retrospect may be the number of gr8 songs and their depth,orchestration and arrangement could elevate the status of the MD but art is best appreciated in absolution and not in relativity. It is commmon to compare Creators with one another , a practice that stems out of lack of awareness and Exposure to art. We need to realise that Ir , ARR , Vidyasagar , HJ ,Deva ,etc are not good or bad because of their counterpart's music quality but their own.Each have their own specialities Deva's ganas r no way inferior or lack originality compared to IR's folk tunes.Let us appreciate quality music no mater whose it is at the same time try not to encourage trash stuff YSR comes out with, guess no IR ,ARR fan who appreciates good orchestration would ever even listen to ysr's flat and shallow nos.He seldom comes out with quality music, that was an example of trash .

If stuffs from Deva,VS anf HJ are not trash and have quality, YSR would certainly fit in there.

As ARR had pointed out in one of his interviews in AV, among this generation of tamil MDs, Yuvan has an unique style and is successful with it.

ajaybaskar
7th May 2007, 04:04 PM
IR has rehashed his "Mandram vandha thendralukku" for the hindi movie, Cheenikum

raja_fan
7th May 2007, 04:48 PM
Ajaybaskar,

:) eppadi kandu pidicheenga ?

just kidding ! come to IR's new albums forum to see the discussions..:)

kiru
8th May 2007, 03:28 AM
Some nice references to the maestro...
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2007/04/29/stories/2007042900160500.htm

A very good article on ARR. Sometimes I wonder whether it is really complimentary :-)
One thing I feel about MSV, IR and ARR.
MSV sounded carnaticky. IR sound less carnaticky, but still indian, with ARR there is only a hint of indianness. The tune is infused with an urbane, stylish feel, that appeals to the youth growing up in this high-tech age.
Popular music is a reflection of the current social trends or milieu. The music of all these three composers reflect the socio-economic situation of their periods.

app_engine
8th May 2007, 07:02 PM
>>MSV sounded carnaticky<<

And he was named "mellisai mannar" because he was instrumental in making the film music "light(er)", obviously implying that his predecessors were even more carnatic:-)

While by and large it's a trend of "light"ening, we got to admit that there had been more frequency of semi-classical gems from the MSV / IR eras compared to the ARR-neo era, where that genre has almost got wiped out:-( One can search and find a few numbers here and there (like the faithful reproduction of 'alai pAyudhE', 'mArgazhiththingaL allavA' etc.), with great difficulty (and sometimes with horrible lyrics that makes you forget any jathis / swaras that are thrown in together).

And it can be said that a total semi-classical album like 'kAdhal Ovium' or 'kOyil puRA' is non-existent post 1992...(esp. from the top ranked composer of the year)...

Hulkster
9th May 2007, 08:04 AM
And it can be said that a total semi-classical album like 'kAdhal Ovium' or 'kOyil puRA' is non-existent post 1992...(esp. from the top ranked composer of the year)...

Sangamam by ARR is a semi-classical album fused with folk.

is Konji Pesalam classical or semi-classical...i think it should be classical :?

ananth222
9th May 2007, 11:51 PM
more snippets
http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/37745/cheeni-kum-about-sweet-nothings.html
http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/39307/exclusive-witty-big-b-in-cheeni-kum.html

app_engine
11th May 2007, 01:40 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilaiyaraaja

Someone has done a fabulous job! Really commendable!
(Please also check out the Thamizh version...there's even a French version...)

thilak4life
11th May 2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=33058

Maestro is the 38th in top selling albums list. :thumbsup:

http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/composers.html

Maestro is one of the top film composers along the ranks of Ennio Morricone (my another favorite) and Howard Shore.

Two tidbits, hope it isn't old :)

Courtesy: Orkut

raja_fan
12th May 2007, 10:07 AM
but who is that Om Prakash from India at the 37th position ?

buggle
18th May 2007, 06:50 PM
came across this website..
http://www.ilaiyaraja.com/
Here, it says IR scored more movies for RK than KH, i think that's incorrect and the number of RK movies it says 67 and KH movies it says 59.
I remember vaguely from the Andrum Indrum Endrum programme that KH said they both worked together for more than 100 films ...

Can some of the pundits confirm that...

vigneshram
19th May 2007, 10:17 AM
Who's the best? Raja or Rahman?
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/05/whos-best-raja-or-rahman.html

rooky
3rd June 2007, 08:17 PM
IR birthday special

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/12413.html

Vkrish
4th June 2007, 04:04 AM
Lovely clip - Watch out towards the end ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W8l_ezoU8Lc&mode=related&search=

krish244
4th June 2007, 11:14 AM
Vkrish, thanks for the clip. Thats indeed a "lovely" clip. SPB is just SPB. What an amazing voice even after so many many years. Sometimes (only sometimes), SPB, on stage improvises a little too much which I dont like it so much, but here, on this program, he kept it so neat and so original. I liked the way he sync'ed with the guitar at the end. Too good. We need to dedicate (or revive) a thread to SPB.

Also, guitar pieces were almost well reproduced by those guys and ofcourse the flute too. Its always a delight to hear when the orchestra reproduce the music almost close to the original with all those acoustic instruments (and the keyboard). Sounds so good even if its not the full orchestra that originally performed. I am just checking Jotheyali song now.

What can I say about IR! I just dont have any words to describe his genius.

thanks once again Vkrish!

Krishnan

Vkrish
5th June 2007, 02:21 AM
Hi, check out this :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IKc5ia-N0Ak&mode=related&search=

If u notice, the mallu TV music programs are finely arranged..the IR interview with M.G.Sreekumar is one such case.

vigneshram
5th June 2007, 09:48 AM
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/06/melting-moments-by-raja-guru-ramana.html

My thoughts on the forgotten / unpublicised yet soul-stirring album of Ilaiyaraja - Guru Ramana Geetham

venkiks
5th June 2007, 09:48 PM
Thank you Vigneshram. The music is available on emusic.com
http://www.emusic.com/album/Ilayaraaja-Ilayaraja-s-Guru-Ramana-Geetham-MP3-Download/10917410.html

I am currently downloading it.

krish244
7th June 2007, 07:18 PM
This link says IR & VM may join for BR's new project. Not sure how latest is this news as I am not able to view the full news.

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-0&fp=4668f7a01f35dfa2&ei=1QtoRsj6LZL2rQOp7fiQDg&url=http%3A//www.nowrunning.com/news/news.asp%3Fit%3D10730&cid=0

Google snapshot: "Ilayaraja and Vairamuthu may join Bharathiraja in the new project..."

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
8th June 2007, 11:50 AM
krish244,

That is the only line about IR and VM in the whole news. It talks about director Amir and he may be the hero in BR's film.

Right Thinker
8th June 2007, 02:29 PM
Cheeni Kum is at the top in the music portal Dishant.

http://www.dishant.com/top10.php

Does anybody have an idea about the popularity of this site and how it actually reflects the popular opinion?

Right Thinker
8th June 2007, 03:21 PM
Cheeni Kum is at the top in the music portal Dishant.

http://www.dishant.com/top10.php

Does anybody have an idea about the popularity of this site and how well it actually reflects popular opinion?
Somebody please post other web-links, which you know of, which give such rankings.

itsmuls
8th June 2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/bollywood/hindi-movies-news/june-07-01/08-06-07-amitabh.html

The meek take over the Bollywood Box Office
By Behindwoods News Bureau.
June 08, 2007
This was not expected, especially after the biggie got off to a great start. Everyone thought that the big one would go great guns while the meek competitor will have to be content with a few good reviews and a select audience enough to recover cost. But that is not how things have turned out to be, one week into the race at the box office. Looks like the hare and turtle story is set to repeat itself.

Shootout at Lokhandwala took a fabulous opening at almost all places while Cheeni Kum was well received by niche audiences. However at the end of the first week, things have shaken up and Cheeni Kum has emerged as the new frontrunner at the box office. The trend is very evident in the UK and the US where Shootout has seen a very sharp decline whereas Cheeni Kum has gone from strength to strength. It is now comfortably placed much ahead of Shootout in the movie ratings. Looks like the 'sugar free romance' will get the better of the story 'based on true rumors'.

In a disappointing development for the trade, the much expected and hyped 'Fool and Final' has received a cold reception at the box office. After a decent first day, the poor word of mouth has pulled down the movie in spite of the presence of a galaxy of stars. Trade pundits are of the opinion that the aggressive marketing tactics adopted by Feroze Nadiadwala might just see the film break even.

raja_fan
8th June 2007, 06:23 PM
Seems Cheeni Kum is receiving good response !

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2007/06/07/stories/2007060750340100.htm

btw..Guys, this should be discussed in IR new Albums thread. Please continue there.

prabhudas
10th June 2007, 05:23 PM
I have the complete 2 week 1 hr, Coffee with Anu program with SPB and Gangai Amaran, follow the link and explore for appropriate segments, it is split into 2 parts with 5 segments in each.
The program was good in total , lots of insider and original info about Mottai, SPB, BR, GA relationships in their early days, cool one, enjoy... exclusively for TFM fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_tEQHpigP4

Prabhudas

irir123
12th June 2007, 10:41 PM
Gangai Amaran sucks bigtime - being humorous is one thing, but being loud and uncouth is another thing - IRukku ippadi oru thambi!

raja_fan
13th June 2007, 10:30 AM
Exactly !

GA is not humorous, he is funny and cuts a dirty figure !

See how he attacks IR again and again..Long stored family fumes are vented out..it seems..

Kupps
13th June 2007, 02:19 PM
raja fan & irir123,

I beg to differ. Was GA humourous? May be may be not. However I definitely feel that the chit-chat that happened in the programme was more of buddies get together and pulling off legs of one another sportively, which is a necessary ingredient of any buddies get-together. Though SPB was guarded being aware of camera presence GA was not, and I dont this it was purposeful to fume out the differences or "feud" rather I believe it was intentional merely as a kalaaichal. If such a need to be nice, formal and "strictly-only-accolades-and-sugar" is the case then SPB should not have quoted that GA copied from Ghulam Ali's ghazal. I presume all of them take the leg-pulling amongst themselves less easily than their fans. Kaala chuvadugaL-la IR sollalaam aana GA coffee with anu-la solla koodaadhu. Namma IR solluradha maattum naama subjective-aagavum objective-aagavum, avar enna manO nilayila irudhu appadi solluraaru appadeennu paakkarOm aana adhE maadhiri GA sonna thittarOm.

Facts: IR & GA are brothers; IR & GA are friends; IR & GA have some family rifts (i assume so); IR & GA mend such things to not affect their relationship and friendship; Let IR say to GA that GA should not publicly pull his(IR) legs which tarnishes his(IR) image. Until then let us give some room for the friendly manourvering.

raja_fan
13th June 2007, 07:32 PM
Kupps,

If any one have watched just that programme , he would have felt just what you have felt. I agree.

But now, I want to point out to the intention of GA more than to how he expressed himself in that show. I am seeing this repeated attitude of GA to take a dig at his brother in a more polished "humorous" way. I would have enjoyed his "pulling the leg" if IR was also present with him. But why he should drag some one else when SPB pulled his leg. I hate this habit "I am not the only person who did this. Why don't you ask that guy ?"

Yes, I happened to read IR's recollections, in which he talks about people like GKV and their mistakes. But there I could see the honesty and frankness more than just blaming attitude. He is blunt, not trying to show a "diplomatic" behavior as shown by GA. I would expect that when you do something, do it politely, but frankly. Don't try to hide something in another mask.

Take for example GA's chat with Chinmayee. For no reasons, he tries to drag IR's approach towards singers. But at the end he will laugh saying "Nobody can equal IR"...

irir123
13th June 2007, 10:04 PM
Kupps - whether GA pulled IR's name into the leg-pulling or not, is a different issue - am talking about the overall conduct of GA during that show - that sucked bigtime! in parts, he was humorous, but overall, the loud-mouthed charades, and making weird noises - thats ok if you are doing it in privacy, but not in a TV show - I have listened to SPB, Kamal speaking in TV shows and they dont indulge in such cheap gimmickry and yet can be humorous. Let GA have his opinions about IR thats his right, but there has to be some kind of decorum expected from someone who is a guest in a talk show

aruvi
17th June 2007, 12:34 PM
Prabhudas,
Thanks for the clips.

I guess GA is very frank. I am not excusing him. But even in his Take Two with Chinmayi, he was being frank that he did not like Junior SuperSinger and had personally called up Chithra to give his opinion. True, he doesn't need to drag IR into everything, but the others seemed to take it lightly too.
For that matter, Venkat Prabhu and Charan are close with Yuvan. And GA did express, quite seriously, that he owed a lot to his brother.
On the whole, the show with SPB-GA was the best laugh riot yet. I think both made it an entertaining show. Regardless of what GA says, it does not bring any damage to IR's image with fans.

I had actually dropped by the thread to see if the news going about that IR is having a concert in Dubai is true. And if it is only in planning stage, or if it has been fully planned. Would love to see, even if only on video, another program like Andrum Indrum Endrum. Matchless Tamil concert.

itsmuls
18th June 2007, 02:29 PM
"
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/18062007-1.shtml

Bharatiraja-Ilayaraja to collaborate

Two estranged maestros get together again. Two more have a part in this collaboration.

After 'Nadodi Thenral,' there was a rift in the Bharatiraja-Ilayaraja relationship. One could say it was caused partly by the ego clash between Vairamuthu and Ilayaraja. Whatever be the case, the Bharatiraja-Ilayaraja combination did not happen again.

They have praised each other in public and continued with their personal friendship. The rift on the working front has fortunately not affected their friendship.

After seeing 'Paruthiveeran,' Bharatiraja has asked directors Ameer and Cheran if they could do a film together. Both gave their assent, so work has started for that. Ameer has narrated a story with village background to Bharatiraja. Impressed with it, Bharatiraja agreed to make it into a film right away with Cheran as hero.

Ilayaraja will compose music for this film that brings 3 great directors together. After 'Bommalattam' is released, Bharatiraja will start work on his new project.

It is not clear who is to produce the film! "

....It is also quoted by Ameer during his interview in "Haasani Padam", Jaya TV that Bharathiraja praised the film and told that - He too will go to Village and come with a Village based movie....

raja_fan
19th June 2007, 12:03 PM
" Ameer has narrated a story with village background to Bharatiraja. Impressed with it, Bharatiraja agreed to make it into a film right away with Cheran as hero. "

So, this is not BR's dream 'Kutraparambarai' ??

aruvi
20th June 2007, 12:05 PM
There is always such news of uniting. Even in his latest interview, I read BR quoting so.

But frankly, after the best years have dimmed away, what is the point? If we look at the past, we can see that artists who broke away rarely succeeded on their comeback, at least, to match their earlier products. Of course, BR and IR really have had great careers and there is little left to prove, I believe.

thumburu
29th June 2007, 02:25 PM
I came to know that last weekend's June 23rd or June 24th "The Hindu" Chennai edition newspaper carried IR's speech about the mathematics of music at some Mathematician's [I think Prof.P.V.Srinivasan ] felicitation function.
Could any of you get hold of this and post it here plz? I could not find it on the Hindu online

dakaltiz
29th June 2007, 11:59 PM
thumburu

Here you go

http://www.hindu.com/2007/06/25/stories/2007062555030200.htm

raajarasigan
4th July 2007, 03:20 PM
yesterday I was watching a program 'King Queen Jack' in Vijay TV.
Its a comedy program having 4 special guests..

One of them was Baski(Mottai).. he stated like

If ARR's Airtel music would have been a song(with lyrics), it will sound like..

"Muthu muthu Vilakku muthathula irukku muthu ponnu siricha vetkathula" - (Deepangal Pesum from Devathai)"

I also feel that it's having a striking similarity between these tunes.. :roll:

thumburu
4th July 2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks a lot dakaltiz :)

raja_fan
4th July 2007, 07:59 PM
raajarasigan,

Why did Baski tell this ? what context ?

btw.., this is not a new discovery. When ARR did this before few years, immediately some people in this forum recognised the similarity :)

raajarasigan
5th July 2007, 10:34 AM
raajarasigan,

Why did Baski tell this ? what context ?

btw.., this is not a new discovery. When ARR did this before few years, immediately some people in this forum recognised the similarity :)

he just said like that... "sila perukku Music mattum kaekka pidikkum,, sila perukku songa with lyrics kaekka pidikkum" then started singing this song.. then he deviated from this..

btw I was not knowing that it was recognised in this forum.. :o

buggle
5th July 2007, 08:16 PM
Kamal going to join hands with Balki....

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/heroes/Kamal_070705.html

Is Kalaignani going to work with Vasu first and then go for Balki movie, not sure....
Also another interesting info in the article is many Bollywood heros approaching Balki now which is good, so we may see IR more in Bollywood.

irir123
5th July 2007, 10:08 PM
buggle: super news (if its true)! yes, by all means, IR would score for more Bollywood movies, but Balki does few movies - hopefully, other directors will approach IR!

raja_fan
6th July 2007, 08:32 AM
Balki's interview.

http://www.naachgaana.com/2007/06/07/sandys-interview-with-r-balki/

Says the cutting of the sound tracks in the movie was pre-planned. Also the interviewer seems to be upset about this.

And "Pa" will go on floors next year only ! Six or eight months to wait :(

So it will take atleast 2 years to see any Balki-Kamal combination.

app_engine
6th July 2007, 08:07 PM
Another remix ...'yEh AththA' of PM...
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-07-11/pg7.php

app_engine
8th July 2007, 04:02 AM
I've just posted about the ctrl-C, ctrl-V of aboorva sahOdharargaL title music in chennai-28 in the YSR album thread...TFM is starting another trend - of replaying great BGM's from IR's movies as BGM for theirs....idhu enga pOi mudiyumO...

rajasaranam
10th July 2007, 08:47 PM
an excellent music analysis by 'Dasarathy' in "its different" radio programme of KZSU stanford 90.1 fm in this page:
http://www.itsdiff.com/Tamil.html
Direct links to download:
http://www.itsdiff.com/files/StyleofIllayaraja-www-itsdiff-com-Part1of3.mp3
http://www.itsdiff.com/files/StyleofIllayaraja-www-itsdiff-com-Part2of3.mp3
http://www.itsdiff.com/files/StyleofIllayaraja-www-itsdiff-com-Part3of3.mp3
http://www.itsdiff.com/files/Mar142007-Ilayaraja-Special-II-www-itsdiff-com-part-001.mp3
http://www.itsdiff.com/files/Mar142007-Ilayaraja-Special-II-www-itsdiff-com-part-002.mp3

raja_fan
11th July 2007, 10:33 PM
rajasaranam,

Thanks a lot ! Excellent really :clap:

raja_fan
12th July 2007, 04:32 PM
Rajasaranam,

Do you have any other link to download these kind of analysis in audio ?

Please..

I plan to treasure all these in a set of CDs.

Now only I came to know the difference between scale, Raaga, Counter points etc :D

elfmaniac85
13th July 2007, 03:56 AM
The above are already in MP3. Aren't the good enough?

raja_fan
13th July 2007, 06:57 AM
elfmaniac85,

You didn't get me. I am asking for any other analysis like this.

njv
14th July 2007, 10:58 PM
I am surprised that TFM didnt discuss Airtel Super Singer Junior. Terrific performance by Krishnamurthy in the finals (and all along). He was so confident and close to perfection. Glad to see both finalist sang IR song (Krishnamurthy - Sangeetha Jaathi Mullai, Vignesh - Vandaal Mahalakshmi). In the early rounds, Harris songs were dominated but as they approached finals, it was pretty much IR, ARR and few peppy songs of Vijay (various MDs).

I wish these kids very good luck, specially Krishnamurthy, Vignesh, & Saisaran. I hope they get to sing in on IR song.

If you havent watched it in youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCuwSS_C-A

njv
14th July 2007, 11:00 PM
BTW watched an interview with MSV and towards the end he sang "veedu varai uravu" in its original tune and also like pesuvathu kiliya, maambazathu vandu (IR also mentioned this in one of the concert) and at the end, surprisingly he same veedu varai uravu like chinna chinna aasai - ofcourse he had that "namuttu sirippu" in his face while singing:)

rajasaranam
15th July 2007, 12:05 PM
raja_fan,

Did you listen to this BBC programme i posted this in Sharing thread already

Dear Friends,
i have recorded and uploaded the 9 part profile about Raaja which feratured in BBC's 'Paatondru kaetaen'. It contains Raaja's inteview also. Hope this will be a delight to you all as it was to me :)
The online version of this programe can be heard here from parts 37 to 45
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tamil/highlights/story/2004/08/040805_filmsongs.shtml
My recorded version of all 9 parts.
http://files.filefront.com/01BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4788810;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/02BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4788915;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/03BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4788941;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/04BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4788972;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/05BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4789002;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/06BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4789021;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/07BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4789044;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/08BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4789067;;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/09BBC_Paatondru_Kaetaen___Part/;4789091;;/fileinfo.html
Ensoy! :)

rajasaranam
15th July 2007, 12:14 PM
Yesterday's Dinathanthi supplement magazine carried a news item Stating that Raja is Composing music for the megaserial "Namma Kudumbam" Directed by Sundar K Vijayan, lead role by Khushboo going to be relayed in Kalaingar TV. Moreover SKVijayan Asserted that 'Raja has agreed to compose music for a serial for the first time" ASAIK Raaja has already composed music for the serial 'Thenpaandi Singam" in SunTV in early 90's.

BTW Mega serialukku music podra alavukku namma Raaja Velai illamma aayitaarnnu nenachaale hmmm.... 'Enna kodumai sir ithu' :cry:

raja_fan
15th July 2007, 03:38 PM
rajasaranam,

Many many thanks again for the links :)

About the news of IR scoring for a mega serial...,

Yes, Yerkkanave "Raja retire aagi vittaar" endru pesiya makkalukku idhu vaayil avil pottu kodutha maadhiri thaan irukku..:(

IR has already done music for serials like Suhasini's Penn ( when he was in his peak in tfm ) and thenpaandi singam etc. But this time he should have avoided for two reasons..

1. Common people of TN will easily attach a "Paavam paridhaabam" kind of title for IR.
Namma makkalukku thaan thamizh naatukku veliye enna nadakkudhunne therinjukka aarvam illaiye..

2. Pathetic state of today's serials..

Enakku ennamo IR paadhiyil nirutthi vittu veruthu veliyeri viduvaar endru thondrugiradhu. :)

app_engine
15th July 2007, 04:30 PM
I think bringing Raja for a serial in the DMK TV is part of the tussle between sun TV and them to show who is big...It's good that Raja at last is not in a combative mood with the powers-that-are...'ennidam vanthu kottum eththanaiyO kuppaikaL' category'il this can be added also:-)

Yesterday I watched 'vaidhEhi kAthirundhAL', 2nd time after 20 years or so. What I so immensely enjoyed as a student / youth looked so pathetic and irritable while what was boring then is so good (all the Revathi scenes especially interactions with her dad are close to MalayALam movie standards)...However, the part of Raja is as good as ever...for every one, there's a separate theme music...even for the mediocre 'love' scenes...

So, IR'll do his job that'll enhance even the pathetic serial...

app_engine
15th July 2007, 04:52 PM
Another thought on the serial -if you look at his career, only two things ever mattered to IR...keep doing music in some form or other without break is obviously the first one. The second one is 'keeping the meter running at right rate':-) Nothing else mattered, like whether it's cinema, stage program, TV, private album etc. Another minor thing is his respect/gratitude for seniors and mentors/associates.

Going by those, all that is needed for IR to do music for a TV program is like:

a) Availability of time (obviously plenty nowadays, as he is too efficient to be doing ~10 movies a year and may not have the health to travel and do a lot of stage shows as fillers)
b) A decent paycheck
c) A simple phone call from someone like mu kA...

madhu, karakAttakkAri, chithambaraththil... kooda idhaiyum sEththukkuvOm...ambuttu thAnE...

app_engine
17th July 2007, 12:29 AM
MSV telling he's Raja's parama rasigan...
http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715

itsmuls
17th July 2007, 10:46 AM
Is IR going to do only Music i.e. the Title song alone or BGM too?

I dont think he will be doing BGM also, may be only the Title Song alone.

Because if you happened to see any of the Serials that aired in Sat Channels, one or the other will be having Title Songs scored by any current famous Music Director.

njv
17th July 2007, 06:20 PM
even if raja dont do bgm, his bgm from other movies will be ripped and used here.

btw saw a prog recently where ppl who lost their lives coming into movies discussed their problems, and one elderly person, who was a producer of Karakattakaran (though the film ran many months, they didnt make since its a late pickup and has to sell for less) mentioned that he took another movie villupatukaran where this "hero" moved from one party to another party and as a result the old party made it difficult to release the movie and as a result he got only 6 lakhs out of 48 lakhs he spent. He mentioned that he went to see ilayaraja to inform that he cant pay, but IR asked him the bank a/c details and transferred the 2 lakh advance he got from the producer (IR was charging 6 Lakh for this particular movie). He recalled how helpful IR was in his crisis time.

Another director (velu prabhakaran or someone) mentioned that IR used to mention to him that IR lost everything by coming into movie. Not sure what IR lost. If IR didnt come to TFM, its a loss for all of us.

teja
18th July 2007, 04:00 AM
Manirathnam on IR.
http://thatstelugu.oneindia.in/cinema/tidbits/07/july/ilayaraja-maniratnam-170707.html
"""
Says IR is the best composer, ever.
He would be very happy if IR agrees to compose music for his film.
"""

raja_fan
18th July 2007, 08:13 AM
Teja,

Can you please translate that short news item to English ?

1. What context was that ?

2. Which film Mani wants IR to compose ? is he planning for next film ?

Some time ago, Mani gave an interview to Kumudam on similar lines. Is the same news being rotated between news sites or is this a recent one ?

Some how, I feel Mani is moving towards IR. But God only should make IR accept him !

raajarasigan
18th July 2007, 09:37 AM
Manirathnam on IR.
http://thatstelugu.oneindia.in/cinema/tidbits/07/july/ilayaraja-maniratnam-170707.html
"""
Says IR is the best composer, ever.
He would be very happy if IR agrees to compose music for his film.
"""

Can anyone translate this in English :banghead: ??

raja_fan
18th July 2007, 01:16 PM
Yesterday I was listening to 9-11 PM Raajaangham in Aahaa FM.

Bhagyaraj spoke about how he tried to independently score music for his own films ( should be films like "Idhu namma aalu" etc ) and then gave up realizing that it will take years for him to learn music properly. Also his family asked him to stop try music.

Then when he went back to meet IR, in his own words " Naan Rajavai paarkka ponen. Mudhalla konjam kobamaa serious-aa irundhaar. Apparam naan avar kitte sonnen :'AVM Saravanan sir solvaaru : Raja thaan No.1 . Avarukku aduthu 2,3,4 kooda yaarume kidayaadhu'nu. Naan no.5-aa irukkalaamnu nenaichu thaan try panninen. Adhellaam sari aagaadhunnu ippo unga kitte thirumbi vandhutten' . Apparam Raajaa sirichittu kadhai ketkka arambichittaaru. Andha padam thaan Raasukkutti."

This shows that IR would never like people who worked with him to go other ways ( even if they actually did not go to any other MD ) and then come back to him.

raajarasigan
18th July 2007, 01:57 PM
Balki is joining with IR again in 'Pa'... bit old news for us...

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/32419.html

raja_fan
18th July 2007, 08:09 PM
Teja,

English translation please !

teja
18th July 2007, 09:29 PM
Translation:

IR&MR have given some wonderful musical hits together.
Once ARR made an entry, MR switched to ARR.
Even though MR gave some hits with ARR, MR claims IR is the best, with out a doubt.
In his words "IR is genius. His music makes me nostalgic. Even though I have been making films with different themes, I always make sure music plays an important role in the film. For all musicals, i approach IR. Only he can deliver. If he agrees to compose music for my film, i would be very happy."

As you can see, it is not very clear if he is speaking hypothetically... or if he had been actually approaching IR to compose for his films.

Sanjeevi
18th July 2007, 11:08 PM
Aaha appadi podu

in Dinathanthi article, IR praised MR and here MR praised IR a lot. Thus it will make the superb combo again? :)

raja_fan
19th July 2007, 08:05 AM
Sanjeevi,

romba excite aagaadheenga !

I think this news is just rotating between news sites..nothing new and concrete.

If IR's recent change in approach ( he is very cheerful and ready to join with BR again etc ) is any hint, then possibility is there for MR also..

But think about MR. Suppose if he comes back to IR and again some problem comes , will he be able to go back to ARR ? I think MR will think about all this before taking a step.

But after reading IR's interviews, IR-MR's tussle would have been only due to IR's "ketta gunam", "thaaru maaraana kobam" etc..

Sanjeevi
19th July 2007, 11:00 AM
But think about MR. Suppose if he comes back to IR and again some problem comes , will he be able to go back to ARR ? I think MR will think about all this before taking a step.

If Shanar can do then why not MR?.

raja_fan
19th July 2007, 12:31 PM
Sanjeevi,

Shankar reportedly went to HJ because ARR was busy and was redirected to HJ. That too only for one film.

But MR's case is different. He was rejected by IR and then went to ARR and has done equal number or more films with ARR than IR now. So the new coalition is now well established. Will he risk breaking it for IR ??

But also why then he is openly says IR is the best ?! Anything fuming between MR and ARR ?
Let us wait and see :)

Shankar
19th July 2007, 05:01 PM
Sanjeevi,

Shankar reportedly went to HJ because ARR was busy and was redirected to HJ. That too only for one film.

But MR's case is different. He was rejected by IR and then went to ARR and has done equal number or more films with ARR than IR now. So the new coalition is now well established. Will he risk breaking it for IR ??

But also why then he is openly says IR is the best ?! Anything fuming between MR and ARR ?
Let us wait and see :)

I don't understand this....Why shud anything be "fuming" between Arr and Mr for MR to say good things about Raja....I think guys like Raja/arr are mature individuals who clearly know their stature in the industry and one film going to another will not affect their market in any way. I don't think arr will have a grudge on mr if he says a good thing about Raja. This is prevelant among lyricists who takes things very personally.

In the whole film industry, music is next only to cinematography when it comes to the professional attitude shown by the popular guys.

raja_fan
19th July 2007, 07:34 PM
Shankar,

I partly agree with you.

If a director talks like "He is THE BEST", "He can ONLY deliver" etc...I mean if MR has really spoken like this, I am 80% sure, some thing is going wrong with his present choice. :)

And about MDs being professional amonst themselves, ARR can be soft, but he also has some ego which could be provoked if MR continues talking like this :)

app_engine
19th July 2007, 09:15 PM
r_f,
We only know about the final output from MR-ARR combo (or for that matter, Shankar-ARR combo). What we don't know about, is the "inputs" :-) MR knows very well what it takes to get something out of IR or ARR...

Hence, IMO, ARR won't feel anything even if MR says explicitly ARR is next grade after IR, though our MBA guy isn't going to make such crude statements.... may be allow his wife to do so:-))

ARR owes a lot to MR / Shankar and not the other way around....he only knows too well what max. he can do without such directors, who are very few in the industry...which is probably one of the reasons for his 'adakkam' / being soft...

Total naturals like IR, OTOH, could be crazy and act exactly like the way he did:-) ahangAram and/or other 'ketta guNangaL' avarkaL koodappiRandhadhu, enna seiyya?

Hmmm...I'm reminded of MR asking IR to keep aside the 'nilA adhu vAnaththu mElE' tune for the time being and work on another to create the haunting 'then pANdi cheemayilE'...later using the earlier one for a peppy number in the same movie with great percussion sounds...sheer brilliance and consumer sense...that's a big, big loss to MDs if they miss such director, even if the MD is IR...much worse in the case of others...

app_engine
19th July 2007, 09:24 PM
Balki fellow is quite smart in utilising what people like MR toiled for...So working with such guys may not bring any creativity from IR while definitely getting him some moola / keep the meter running...he has to work with someone who can sharpen him, like MR/KB/Prathap Pothen...or the controversial Jagath K:-)

I'm really curious to see what Hariharan/MT combo is going to bring out of IR...i.e. if they really had some part in those phenomenal outputs of Bombay Ravi...My belief is because a demanding consumer will always be one (even after many years, aged etc. as Sridhar proved beautifully) even though the artist may be erratic in performance from time to time...

irir123
19th July 2007, 09:54 PM
working with Prathap Pothen to sharpen himself ?? are you kidding ? IR gave amazing music to PP's movies, not coz of PP, but inspite of PP!

btw, if you get a chance watch PP's "Chaitanya" in Telugu - amazing BGM and songs by IR, excellent cinematography, locales etc, but HORRIBLE movie from a script/story etc etc point of view!

raja_fan
19th July 2007, 10:16 PM
irir123,

I bow to disagree with you on PP.

PP though a "different type" of personality definitely should have very good music sense or stuff to extract some excellent music from IR.

Take for example My dear Marthandan, Aathma, Magudam ( not a hit as a film, but had good music )etc. These are not mere coincidences..

If you take My dear Marthandan, you will definitely appreciate how PP did justice in the picturisation of the songs and how he has selected the tunes :)

I remember nearly 17 years ago , the MD Adhityan gave an interview to DD. He said "Directors are very critical to any MD's success. They have to extract the best". Pepsi Uma was the interviewer. She crossed him asking "So you mean it is the case with Ilaiyaraja too" ? He strongly said "yes!".

I laughed when I heard that. But later I realized that what he said was 100% correct ! If only IR had not broken his relationships with BR, MR, KB etc, he would have been still No.1.

app_engine
20th July 2007, 02:09 AM
irir123,
If you read my post again, I said artist can be erratic but a consumer typically is not. Prathap Pothen may be a so-so artist (actor/director), but make no mistake about it, he is a top-of-the-notch consumer. I still have a strong feeling that he had something to do with the songs of movies that he acted as hero as well (and not just those directed by him). eera vizhikkAviyangaL could have been one that possibly got this benefit. vetRi vizha was directed by him and had amazing score by Raja. Unfortunately, he looks (and may be acts) crazy which may lead people away from him...(remember he is Radhika's ex.)

app_engine
20th July 2007, 02:21 AM
digression

Just to support my theory on consumer standards - someone who is used to "Pears" cannot use "Chandrika (or lifebuoy)" unless it's an emergency...

IMO, Pratap Pothen is a Pears consumer and one can but expect such stuff from Raja if he works with him

end-digression

raja_fan
20th July 2007, 03:59 PM
Will Rajni rope in IR at least for this ?

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/07/20/stories/2007072051060200.htm

app_engine
20th July 2007, 09:23 PM
Digression for irir123:
Remember there was a discussion on quality of Thamizh movies, Mahendran's interview etc. I saw a malayALam movie last night, 'thoovAnath thumbikaL' by Padmarajan. Mohanlal-Parvathi-Sumalatha. Not IR's music but Raveendran. However, I know IR has a very high regard for Padmarajan and same with many people who love good cinema...If you haven't watched this before, please, please go grab & watch (without children)...close to defining a good movie, IMHO...I won't tell anything about the movie now...don't want to spoil the viewing pleasure...If you've watched earlier or after you watch, we can probably talk about it...
End-digression

raja_fan
21st July 2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/july-07-03/16-07-07-gautham-menon.html

Gautam was maintaining that he is an ardent fan of IR, but will not think of any alternative unless HJ is too busy.

But now, he goes to ARR for a musical !?

Enna kodumai sir idhu :(

teja
25th July 2007, 11:27 PM
'Ilayaraja Sir is like God to me'
http://us.rediff.com/movies/2007/jul/25devi.htm

itsmuls
26th July 2007, 04:16 PM
Here is a person who is uploading the links for Ringtones of IR in Orkut.

For those who are all interested.

http://www.orkut.com/CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=34613&tid=2540488894526035391&start=1

njv
26th July 2007, 09:48 PM
Watched an interview by Sabesh-Murali and they are doing Cheran's next movie (untitled). So this kurangoo (Cheran) wont stay in one tree (jumping between ilayaraja, bharadwaj, sabesh-murali). Good luck with his movie atleast. He gives truly inspirational movies (Mayakannadi)

rajasaranam
28th July 2007, 08:54 PM
ithu enna albuma irukkum :?:
http://www.agimusic.com/Upcoming%20Album.htm

app_engine
29th July 2007, 03:12 AM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Bangalore_Times/Down_south_goes_up/articleshow/2240746.cms

South praised...

raaja_rasigan
29th July 2007, 01:47 PM
இசையமைப்பாளர் இளையராஜா பேசியதாவது:-

``எல்லோருக்கும் ஒரே ஒரு தாய்தான் இருப்பார்கள். எனக்கும், பாரதிராஜாவுக்கும் இரண்டு தாய்கள். என் அம்மா, அவருக்கும் அம்மா. அவர் அம்மா, எனக்கும் அம்மா. அம்மா, தெய்வதுக்கும் மேலே...

அவர் டைரக்டு செய்த சில படங்களுக்கு நான் இசையமைக்க மறுத்திருக்கலாம். என்னை அவர் கூப்பிடாமல் இருந்திருக்கலாம். அதையும் மீறி எங்களுக்குள் ஒரு ஜீவனுள்ள நட்பு உண்டு.

என்ன உறவு?

பாரதிராஜாவுக்கும், எனக்கும் உள்ள உறவை சொல்ல தெரியவில்லை. அவர் எனக்கு நண்பனா, சகோதரனா, என்ன உறவு என்று தெரியவில்லை. நான் சென்னைக்கு வந்தபோது, அவர்தான் எனக்கு வழிகாட்டி. இதுதான் கடற்கரை, இதுதான் மெரினா பீச். இதுதான் எஸ்.ஐ.ஈ.டி. காலேஜ் என்று எனக்கு காட்டியிருக்கிறார். அவர் காட்டிய வழியில், நான் போகாமல் இருந்து விட்டேன்.

பிரசாத் ஸ்டூடியோவுக்குள் நுழைந்தால், எனக்கு மனிதர்களை தெரியாது. அந்த அறைக்குள் உள்ள என் ஆர்மோனியத்தின் சப்தஸ்வரங்களுக்குள் ஐக்கியமாகி விடுவேன். இதுவே உன் இடம். இங்கேயே கிட என்று இறைவன் எனக்கு இட்ட கட்டளையை புண்ணியமாக கருதுகிறேன்.''

இவ்வாறு இளையராஜா கூறினார்.

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=352330&disdate=7/29/2007&advt=1

:Bommalattam Audio Release:

K
29th July 2007, 09:48 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/bharathiraja_070729.html

Bala8749
30th July 2007, 01:31 AM

IR said the same thing a decade back when asked about his participation in margazhi maha utsavam - he said he dont mind as long as he can sing his own composition and there is no point in just singing the songs composed by them and invited "carnatic pandiths" to compose songs as well. Only few from carnatic came out of the box (BMK, Kunnakudi, LS to name a few).

I dun quite understand what you meant by that.... You mean many carnatic singers refused to come for the show because of illayaraja or they did not like singing to illayaraja's compositions? Please clarify.

njv
30th July 2007, 01:53 AM
I dun quite understand what you meant by that.... You mean many carnatic singers refused to come for the show because of illayaraja or they did not like singing to illayaraja's compositions? Please clarify.

Neither. IR is willing to sing in music festivals and in other places (where the likes of Dr BMK and others sing) as long as he sing his own composition.

Bala8749
30th July 2007, 01:56 AM

Neither. IR is willing to sing in music festivals and in other places (where the likes of Dr BMK and others sing) as long as he sing his own composition.

Thanks for that info.

rajasaranam
1st August 2007, 07:05 PM
here is a nice effort by an amateur artist who has picturised raaja's eternal 'thendral vanthu theendum bodhu'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opNP-GqGDP0

smith1
2nd August 2007, 09:10 PM
I really cannot understand why IR should insist that he sing his own compositions only.

He can do so, but what is the harm in including the songs of other composers also?

For Ur information, Balamurali krishna , TVG, Lagudi etc., have composed their won songs/thillanas much before IR made this request.

smith1
2nd August 2007, 09:12 PM
As for IR not working with BR, it was after the tiff with vairamuthu.

BR stuck to vairamuthu & left out IR.

app_engine
2nd August 2007, 09:45 PM
Smith1,
That was old (BR choosing VM over IR) and it was at the time of 'vEdham pudhidhu'. He did a few movies with Devendran & Hamsalekha.

He then came back to IR and they have done 'ennuyirththOzhan', 'pudhu nellu, pudhu nAththu' and 'nAdOdiththendRal'.

It's not clear what happened at that time and why they parted again...probably not VM...

(FYI, the latest on the media is VM-BR ladAi and BR-IR konjal)

teja
3rd August 2007, 04:39 AM
Bharathiraja's interview...

http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publish/stars/bharatiraja_interview_2.php

Like Vamsi, you had fruitful association with Ilayaraja. When can we expect your combination again?

My next film is to have the musical score by him. Without Ilayaraja's scores, my films are nothing. We are great friends.

kameshratnam
3rd August 2007, 09:39 AM
RS
I have mailed agi and asked them whats the new album all about..no reply.. www.agimusic.com

zz
3rd August 2007, 02:10 PM
My next film is to have the musical score by him. Without Ilayaraja's scores, my films are nothing. We are great friends.

BR admits that KC, Karuthamma, Andhi mandarai and DAJmahal and KKS nothing....ARR requires this and much more for having associated with some one who doesn't know what he is doing...even to the extent of going to HR for a tamil film.

Idhula vera..ARR did the entire score for Andhimandhaarai for free. BR received the best story and regional award for that film from president.

ARR...unakku idu theva dhaan

kameshratnam
3rd August 2007, 02:30 PM
BR's words are not in good taste. I know he said in one of his audio cass's which is Kizakku chemaiyle or karuthamma where BR says " Adutha nootruandu kana isaiai ippove vazhangi kondu irukum isai puyal A R Rahman"

thumburu
3rd August 2007, 06:15 PM
SPB always reserves his choiciest encomium on legends like MSV and our Raja. Few weeks back in "ennodu paattu paadungaL" jaya tv, SPB and one violist Mr.Ramasubramaina who also played the violin for "paadu nilaave " song were analysing the beauty of the "Grahabedham" in the second interlude before the charanam. SPB told though many MDs indulge in this "visha parikshai", Raja alone knows the knack of blending these seamlessly with the main tune.
How true!!! I was reminded of "neelakuyile unnodu naan" and " oru raagam paadolodu" "Ananda ragam" songs. Listen to the graghabedham in the second interludes of both of the songs and feel the goose flesh . How Raja lands to the charanam back again is truly amazing!!!

buggle
3rd August 2007, 07:09 PM
IR to score for a English movie..

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/ilayaraja_070803.html

rajasaranam
3rd August 2007, 08:09 PM
buggle thats indeed a good news. I just did a 'quick' google search on 'quick gun murugan' which was a slick comedy i used to enjoy in MTV or channel V??!! long back.
but there is no mention of 'raaja' anywhere in relating links and its not a Hollywood venture its a Indian venture only
http://www.idlebrain.com/news/2000march20/quickgunmurugan.html
http://www.phat-phish.com/
Hope Raaja is indeed the MD and we can expect a good comedy and musical entertainer :)

MumbaiRamki
4th August 2007, 01:24 PM
BR Issue - BR is a very emotional person. SO his words should be read with caution . He had made lot of comments . Hi scomments 'for' a MD should not be read as comments 'against' the MD's competitor/peer.

I subjectively felt that after ARR did good amount of justice to BR films . He did supress his urban instincts for all BR films . Esp if you hear the song ' Kaadu potta Kaadu' you can feel the soul of a villager , i don't think any other song was so energetic in expressing the feelings of a rural folk !

But having said that , IR 's music had the serenity stamped all over IR's songs , something was a a 'bit' missing AR songs of BR !

itsmuls
6th August 2007, 02:03 PM
"Telugu film comedy hero Rajendra Prasad is currently acting in a film titled in English, 'Quick Gun Murugan'. "

The Website says that this film is titled in English, as against many people saying here as English Film.

kalnayak
6th August 2007, 07:30 PM
Each of the Naan Kadavul songs is going to be for about 8 minutes.
Reference: http://www.kollywoodtoday.com/news/stocking-stunning-shocking-shots-in-nan-kadavul/

app_engine
7th August 2007, 02:15 AM
http://dinamalar.com/2007aug07/vikatan.asp

IR/ARR use a lot of "black" keys...HJ does not...