PDA

View Full Version : Coconut problem?

Swami Barmi
23rd December 2004, 04:48 AM
Hello,

I tried to make coconut milk for the first time today and I believe I have a problem. The milk has an odd flavor that I can only describe as "plastic-y." I've never directly tasted the coconut milk from a can so I can't compare the flavors directly, but this doesn't seem quite right. Any ideas?

Thanks

R
23rd December 2004, 04:44 PM
I am not sure of your problem; but, why dont u try coconut milk from can?

Initially, I was also making coconut milk at home, but it is tedious. This canned one comes for 3 times and I feel it is really worth and the quality is also good!

Swami Barmi
23rd December 2004, 05:56 PM
I've had both coconut milk and cream from cans with good results. I just enjoy experimenting by taking things to their more basic levels. I also find that I can often get higher quality products when done at home, but that certainly isn't the case yet here!

buddah
5th January 2005, 06:53 AM
I buy frozen cocount cream in London. Most Chinese/Thai supermarkets sell them (its a thai product). This is much better than, the tin version or the soild creams.

8)

Kz
5th January 2005, 08:37 PM
Hi,
May be the coconut was too old one, which has that kind of taste or more oily kind of taste.but u can use this milk for cooking, when we taste the coconut raw we can feel that taste, use a coconut which is little tender or a young one, which gives the best taste. did u use hot water for extracting the milk. if u want coconut milk for aappam or just to drink then young coconut will be better for that.
Bye,
Kz

Swami Barmi
5th January 2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I'm sure you're right.

Vidya Pai
31st January 2005, 09:58 AM
As Kz says the quality of the coconut makes all the diff. Anyway I strongly recomend u to keep trying coz I know that the taste and flavor of freshly sqeezed coconut milk can never compare to the prepacked ones. This is true espeacially for the delicately flavoured dishes, for the spicier or stongly flavoured dishes u can use the canned variety.