PDA

View Full Version : WHERE ARE THOSE HAPPY DAYS ? (They seem so hard to find)

Oldposts
30th October 2004, 07:00 PM
Topic started by Hemant (@ ppp-200-6-250.bng.vsnl.net.in) on Thu May 2 08:30:08 .

I am going to attempt to share with all my hubber friends , the glory of past when nothing was bought from the market and all the arts of spice powder to pickle making and to be fried pappads to vadams and those dried vegetables were with experienced ladies and everything wasprepared at home.This story tells a boy's journey in the world of food from my olden golden days.I hope you would post your comments after each episode is posted.

Oldposts
SUMMERTIME.........SPICE TIME...........PICKLE TIME............ ( A look in glorious past )

Summer time in my young days used to be a long awaited period.For me studies were not a problem and summer heat prevented outdoor activities.Summer meant, Spices preparation for the whole year,Gearing up for a variety of pickles , .Summer time meant buying , cleaning and storing time for whole year's supply of dhalls, wheat, rice,sugar, jaggery and what not.Summer time meant making of wafers,potato chips, sago wafers pappads, drying green vegetables like Kothuvaranka and vendhi kirai.Summer time meant making whole year's tea masala.This was not only for our house but all the relatives who stayed around the area, because they also helped in our preparation.This was almost a community work.Every year there used to be learners and green horns in form of newly wedded brides of neighbours or relatives etc who were to be initiated in fine art of cooking and preparing pickles etc.And head of the teaching staff was my aunt Nirmala kaki who was a very loving teacher and very patient .She never used to hide any recipe or technique.She was always prepared to visit any house where she was called to make sweets or savouries or pickles etc.She was well respected by each and every one.No one went hungry after visiting our house even at ungodly hours.May God bless her soul.
All these activities meant singing as there was no electricity and no radio in our village .Songs of upcoming marriages or Ras Garbas, or Bhakti songs were sung by all the ladies there.Being a good singer of folk songs, I was also asked to sing them .There used to be chanting of Stotrams also since she was well versed in religious matters.
Summer time also meant marriages.So the tailor used to come home for ten to fifteen days and depending upon the siruvarisai, he would be retained for that period.He was paid a princly sum of five to six rupees per day.We had to buy buttons and threads and cloths and provide oil for his machine and he would dine at our house during the whole period of stitching.He would stich all the bridal clothes at our house.The only thing I could not stand was his smoking beedies even out side our house.
Summertime also meant OSI SAAPADU during marriages and other religious activities of which there was no shortage.
Summer time meant the most Glorious part of all.............Heavenly Mangoes ............Sweet Mangoes. I would dream of eating mangoes for tiffin, lunch , snack and dinner (if I were allowed).As my Grand father was a great astrologer, people used to come with choicest fruits and in summer, Mangoes were the choice gift.
I used to look forward to visit of Bombay people so that Alphonso would come with them.We had a seperate room which was called Mangoe room near to my grand father's room.The door used to be kept locked and the key would hang from my aunt's waist.It was such a tragic thing for three growing children (myself and my elder and younger brother) as she would monitor the mangoes recipts and usage.I am not ashamed to say that given a chance, we would not hesitate stealing a fruit or two and later get a sound thrashing also.
Every morning she would open the mangoe room and turn the mangoes, Ripe ones would be taken for nectar preparation and spotted ones were quickly dispensed with.
I was supposed to help her doing all these chores .All ripe mangoes were squeezed and nectar was removed by aunt.My job was to keep the flies at bay witha piece of cloth.Any fly settling on nectar would bring a sharp blow on the knuckles or nudge in ribs.This is apart from verbal thrashing which was never far from me.Myself and my aunt had a love hate relationship .She would not let me do what I wanted and I would have to do whatever she wanted.She just could not do without me as I was her KARANDI doing all the helping work.My younger brother jogendra would escape all the treatment because he was young and elder brother escaped the work almost always, he would borrow horses and cycles of my grandpa's visitors(he had a trick to open any cycle locks)and go for Free rides till they finished looking at their future.Generally it used to take hours.

To be continued.......

Oldposts
Hemant ji

I feel at home just by reading this, i feel i have gone back to my childhood days when my grandfather used to tell me lot of interesting things that happened in his life in a very nice way and I used to be waiting to listen to that.

pls continue....its good to hear such experiences.

Sarah

Oldposts
Hello Sarah,
Yes, its so nice to be back in time.I am having great many real life incidents .Some are so hilarious that you would bend laughing.Some are real touching.All will pour in with time and encouragement given by all of you.
I wanted to give to all the readers, true picture about what goes in to make a fine pickle or a dish.Now a days, you just go to a super market, go to the shelf and buy it.What is missing from such a thing is , real love .That is the difference between Mother's touch and machine touch.

Oldposts
Hello Hubbers,

It would be very nice of you all to propmpt me into picking a character or any incident or something like that, so I would bring out stories if there are any connected with that subject.Like marriage food or sweets or my aunt or guests etc ..etc.

Oldposts
Hello hemanthji,
It is very nuce to hear about ur journey. I am pretty sure, we will get to learn a lot of things. Please do continue

Oldposts
nice

Oldposts
Hi Hemant ji

You can write something about how you tried to make a particular dish and it turned out to be something else and still won appreciation. that should be fun !

Sarah

Oldposts
SUMMERTIME.........SPICE TIME...........PICKLE TIME............ ( A look in glorious past )
was nice and wonderful Hemantji. Expecting more........
Friends, how can we include this in the website? I appreciate your suggestions. What should be the title? Please share your ideas.

Oldposts
continued from last episode.............

Coming back to summertime, the coming of march meant sharpening of Mangoe cutting knives and all the other small and big hand held knives.In Rajahmundry,the mangoes were never cut in market because of Madi.It would surprise most of you that mango peelers were not available in those days.We used to get a shell from Godavari river, we would grind the bottom of the shell and make about 1/2" hole on the surface.This shall hole used to be very sharp.When you press the shall on mango and move firmly like a peeler, the peel of mangoe would come .This contraption disappeared after stainless steel peelers came into market.

All the porcelain jars were emptied in March itself. W e used to have about eight or nine big jars and about six or seven of smaller sizes for different pickles.Some jars were meant to be sent to Madras where all my cousins studied (My aunt and uncle used to stay alone and all the children studied in Madras )

.Avakkai preparation in Andhra is a religion, it is an institution, it is the top most priority for any household.The suppliers of ingredients were old trusted suppliers, the mangoes were taken only from selected places and no menstruating girl or a woman was allowed anywhere near them during avakkai preparation.The chilli powder was pounded on the same rules.The mustard was also pounded at home.My aunt (eldest aunt was also my sitti as my mother and she were sisters) would ensure strict rules were followed.

The action for the summer pickling would start with arrival of different spices, first the Chilli man would bring a sackful of chillies .Generally it would be about 30 sers meaning about 15 kgs.for our house .Next the inevitable checking of each female's health would follow and when my Perima was satisfied that all was well with all the females, the pounding of chillies would follow.Generally the pounding was done by experienced old women (one was mother of Chitti , the girl who worked in our house). The women would tie a cloth on their faces and pound the chillies in front of our house which was plumb on the shore of great Godavari river..This was a trying time for me.With running nose and burning throat, I would have to sit it out in the house.The process used to take about two to three days.

Next would be minor spices and they were ground in the machine .Except Dhania Jeera powder.This was done in pound mortars .

All the old pickle , if left was given away to workers and poor people.

The emptied jars were washed with soda and sundried for a couple of days.

Cloth pieces that were tied on the mouths of jars were Dhoti pieces.Old saree pieces were never used due to MADI. So old dhotis were washed, made into pieces and kept ready.Order was given to the oil Kolhu/chak man to supply gingly oil .This would arrive in large tins of 30 sers(15kgs).One tin used to suffice. for us. Mustard was next in line.It was pounded and stored safely.Salt was the last item.Only pure white salt was bought from reliable source so that stones would not be present in it.It was pounded and filled up in big jar. Initially pickles were made from kaluppu (raw salt crystals )and not powdered.

Pickles like Chundo, Katki Keri and Gunda were prepared before Avakkai and stored away.

All was ready by the end of April or first week of May.Next was the period of wait for Agni Nakshatram to end.This was the time for us to take a breather and enjoy Rasalu,Chiragurasam, Benganapalli and other sweet Mangoes.We bought mangoes in baskets of 50 or hundred .It would cost us about two and half rupees to four rupees for choicest basket of Mangoes of 50 numbers.The seller would throw in another three to four pieces free.

After the Agni nakshatram was over, there would be a flurry of activity.All the raw mangoes were washed , cut and pickled and filled up in the jars on the same day.Thus the pickling of Avakkai would come to an end. Next would be periodic shaking and topping up of the pickle with oil would follow.We were so anxious as to when the pickles would mature so that we can start consuming it.

The atmosphere of pickling season in Gujarat was different.I would be taking you on a pilgrimage to Gujarat in the next episode.

But before that I would narrate my encounter with monkey troop which caught me literally with my pants (in this case shorts) down with mango in my mouth.

To be continued........

Oldposts
Hemantji,
Reading your fascinating account of happenings of those glorious bygone days, briefly transported me to your wonderland and also made me nostalgic. For me, these things seem magical, giving those times a mystic appeal. Close your eyes, you are taken to the magic land where things were always good, no matter what. As for me, I remember the appalam, vadam making ritual associated with those summer times. My job(which I shared with my brother), which I took 'quite seriously' was 'kakka pathukkal'. But both my brother and I loved to eat those 'just begun to dry' vathals, vadams. As for division of labour, my neighbourhood friends would pitch in, offering to help us, consuming a good quantity of those vadams and vathals, when nobody was around.
You are doing a great job, Hemantji, writing those dreamy anecdotes. For, they transport us to the ecstasy of the paradise called past.

Oldposts
Hello Lakshmi,
Thanks for your warm sentiments.I will try and bring the magic back for all to share.

Oldposts
Hello Hubbers,
How about posting some more of EATING incidents of my life which happened over some years?
Later on I can post about Saurashtra.

Oldposts
Halo Hemant Sir,I felt very happy when i found this Forum hub with my favourites(about cooking,different recipes)and quick and interesting responses.Include me also in your hubbers list.It is good to share the things what we know.thanks,Devi.

Oldposts
Hello Hemantji,
Your 'Malarum Ninaivugal' is very interesting & also prods our memory about incidents in our carefree childhood days. Yes, those days devoid of any responsibility, will be cherished by each of us. This thread you've started makes for very nostalgic reading as I can identify with some of the incidents that occured in your life.

Yes, the eating incidents must be hilarious. Go ahead, Hemantji & write on about whatever is fun & dear to you.

Revathy.

Oldposts
Hello Devi,
Welcome to Forum Hub.

Hello Revathy,
Yes, the children and the games they play thro' the world are same whether it is me or you or Verna or Nkomo in south Africa.
There is only one language of childhood..INNOCENCE.
I am writing some episodes about eating.May be in a day or two I will post.

Oldposts
Hi Hemant,
so nice... please carry on your memoirs..

Oldposts
Hemant,

Thanks for the good laugh. I am enjoying your stories and hoping for more.

Oldposts
your stories are very interesting.Please keep up the good work.
Indu

Oldposts
Oh my God!

Please don't stop!

Oldposts
Oh, Hemant,
You have left us all in suspense! What are you thinking? Such a tease, you can be!
VC

Oldposts
Hello,
I just came across this forum only today. Your narration is very very good.
keep up the good work,
Sujatha

Oldposts
Hemant,
Sometimes the "good old days" were fraught with difficulties. 180 days of illness without modern treatments. I'm glad you survived (and learned a lesson about wishful thinking). It is obvious that you now cherish health. And, Hemant...is not a stiletto sharp and wounding? I hope my words are not. Thank you for sharing your memories. If they include a bit of suspense, all the better, really!
VC

Oldposts
Hello Verna,
Yes good ol'days were indeed difficult from health point of view.Even ignorence caused lot of problems.I remember my aunt using empty D.D.T fiber drums to store food grains just because the ants would not come anywhere near.Thinking of that , I really shudder.My God!!!!
We survived because we were brought up using organic food and vegetables (simply because there were no pesticides,fertilizers or artificial chemicals used by farmers in our region as they were unknown.)
You do not waste words unlike me.I am given to writing everything in detail (even the recipes).
You , like a true American come to the point direct.Like a stiletto.No harm meant .If stiletto in scabbard is of wounding nature, the one under the heel raises your stature and thrusts the rib cage forward.Good for personality.!!! LoL.
Yes My whole life is an open suspense event.Some times I feel that people know what I am going to do before I do the thing.So........I am that open.

Oldposts
Dear Hubbers,
What happened?
No comments so far???????????
I am truelly puzzeled.
Do I go on or stop??

Oldposts
Hermant

Please go on, Your stories are very warm and interesting, waiting for the next posting.

Thank you,

Oldposts
Hi Hemant:

Do go on. Eagerly awaiting the continuation.

Oldposts
This is not fair.

Please don't make us beg. Just go on.

Remember, for each person who writes there are 20 others who just read.

Oldposts
Dearest Hemant,
Come, now, you must realize we have all been perusing your new website at the same time we have a great new installment in your "Happy Days" thread. We are too polite to demand that you post new stories so soon while you are completing the website. Of course, we will enjoy whatever you find time to share...

Oldposts
Hello My Dear ones,
I had posted a reply yesterday to all of you in this column but surprisingly it is not reflected here.How it happened?I don't know.It is not at all my intention to make you beg or create an artificial demand.I was just wondering why no one had reacted to my posting even after it was put on net for 48 hours.
Some more incidents are being posted to day.
Thanks for loving me.!!I would always hold your love close to my heart.You are all God to a small thing like me.(no offence meant to Arundhati)

Oldposts
Dear Hemant,
I cannot speak for Arundhati but must reply that not being God, I am nevertheless happy to be an expression of His love for you. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us. It is no small thing.

Oldposts
Hello Verna,
Thanks for your warmth, and also warmth shown by all of you.For a person having started learning English in his 9th grade, you have been magnonimous (all of you) in bearing with my atrocious spelling mistakes and seemingly long complex and compound sentences.
Coming up today is the next episode.Bye till then.

Oldposts
Dear Hemant,
You are so right: Once children have the taste of sugar, it is all over. They want it all the time. You seems to have been very adept at ensuring your supply, ants and all. I will guess that you DID get to eat some sweets but may have suffered for your efforts. That is how we learn though some of us are very stubborn learners.

Oldposts
hee hee hee

good supense.

you must have got the left overs/crumbles.

no stingy person like a shop keeper. :)

Oldposts
where are those lovers of my happy days?
They seem so hard to find.

There is a system in story telling.Whenever my mom told us a story, we were supposed to say "afterwards what happened?"
Or "Then?"
This gave an impetus to her to go on.
It showed that we were with her.
So , when I don't find any remark after any episode, my hear breaks (sob.....sob.....)
And I muself start doubting my ability in holding your interest.
ANOTHER REQUEST.PLEASE READ ALL EPISODES THRO' THE EYES OF A PRETEEN CHILD.

Oldposts
Hi Hemantji,
Though I read your stories with a lot of interest, I dont normally post any comments. May be that is important to keep ur interest to continue writing. So here we go, please do tell,
'ummm (um kottaradhu), afterwards, what happened?'
Best Regards,
Sujatha

Oldposts
Dearest Hemant,
Are you back in the swing of things to make entries every day? I must confess to confusion as I believe you told us you were busy until July... If you are ready to feed us stories, then we are like hungry children, waiting for you to dish it out. Will you also revisit the Crisis Corner for those of us with kitchen troubles?
VC

Oldposts
Chollungo....

Oldposts
VOW!!!!!1
VOW!!!.WOW...!!!
That's better.
Next instalment coming up today evening.

Oldposts
Dear Hemant,
Now, really, Hemant, You torment us. Do, please, continue and revisit some of your other threads as well. We miss your presence!
VC

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji,
I used to be a very active lady in social work, before my accident. Now since I am grounded,I have become a storyteller, to my mother.I read a little bit of your "Where are the happy days" My mother said,you have to stay in a joint family to know the goodness.She comes from a joint family.She pesters me daily to continue the story.Keep up the good work Hemantji. Mrs.Soma

Oldposts
Hello Friends, Romans and Countrymen,
I am Back.
Normally I do not do anything in unplanned fashion except creating a new recipe .
But I disappeared from Friday till Tuesday on south India visit .
I would be making your Mother ......sorry my mother happy Akka soma.
And Verna, I know how you feel waiting for the next episode.
I am dog tired today having just reached Bangalore.Please give me one day of rest and I will edit the episode tonight and post it.

Oldposts
I am not forgetting David, Sujatha and all those known and unknown friends of SWEET PAITHIYUM young me.

Oldposts
Hemant,
Eight years is a long time to hold a grudge. You surely MUST have had a severe case of sweet tooth.

Oldposts
very interesting. please continue.

Oldposts
A child and a woman when wronged or cheated of their dreams never forgive or forget.
I am a severly sweet toothed.It runs in the blood.My father was one and I have followed in his footsteps.My son is another who has kept the flag flying high.
But the revenge I had was not with sweets.!!!
Curious??
Wait for the next episode .

Oldposts
This brings to THE END my present story.
I have some more stories related to food about different people which I would narrate in future episodes

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji, where are those happy days nearly brought crisis in my house. I have a mother-in-law 96 years old. 80 percent bed ridden.She guestioned my grandson as to what,my mother and I do in the computer room,laughing so loud.When she heard that I was telling stories to my mother,she was very upset. My husband suggested that I print out your story,and have my story telling session in my mother in law's room.You must see her laugh with her toothless mouth,listening to all your childhood antics.We all felt very sorry that your story has come to an end.Eagerly waiting for the next epoisde.Thanks Hemant brother.

Oldposts
The sweet episodes were really interesting

Oldposts
Hello Soma Akka,
Reading your posting, I am genuinelly chocked and there is lump in my throat refusing to subside.
I did not know that my life can give so much happiness to people who have seen good old days.
I have some more about food which I will post.
But other stories fall outside of food forum.So I may have to post my stories in literature forum.
I was also contemplating to start posting a Novel .I don't know how I am going to do justice to both Novel and food forum.
But the novel I have in mind is a truelly touching story of a pious family and how it was ruined with time.

Hello Sujatha,
Yes the sweet episodes were really too sweet to forget.

Oldposts
True Hemantji. Your past stories giving so much happiness to everybody. I think this is the first time I am responding to your stories. I have just completed reading all your funny and thoughtful stories. Though everybody would have some memorable and interesting episodes about their past, not everybody have this ability to present those stories in such a way that others can enjoy and be happy. You have got that talent too. If you post your stories in any other forums like literature, please inform about it in this thread as I am following only food forum. Otherwise I fear I will miss it.

Regards..

Oldposts
Hello my dear Hubbers,
I just remembered and checked, I had left off Summer time.....Pickle time and had ventured in other stories, so there are some more interesting things left to be narrated about my summertime activities.Some of them are real naughty.
So...........................? wait for the next instalment coming up tomorrow.

Oldposts
Hello Hemant,
Every morning, as soon as I check my mails, I look for updates in this thread. It has almost become an obsession. When is the next episode coming?
Regards,
Sujatha

Oldposts
Hai,
I am responding to your thread for the first time, infact, I am across it for the first time and don't know how I missed it. It is really interesting. It really reminds me of my childhood days. Most of your incidents are like mine. Like open latrines, I am from B'lore and use to visit my maternal grandmother in village during summer holidays, we never use to have toilets in those days. So, we had to go to vettaveli at the back of the house and sit under some tree. In your case it was the monkeys which used to trouble, but, in mine it was the pigs. They used to come in large numbers. All those pickle incidents, dakshinai have happenned but in a slightly modified way. But, I don't have the talent to present the incidents the way you do. I'll try to pen some, not as a competitor (because, I can't compete with you. U R GREAT), but, just to share my incidents.
Take us down the journey of your childhood.
Hats off to you.

Oldposts
Hermant, you write with such good detail, I can easily transport myself to your childhood world. It is like watching a movie. Don't stop.

Oldposts
Hello Fridge,
I have to write about eleven years of childhood.It may take sometime to enter teenage.
So I will write what is relevent.Unlike Malgudi days, mine is true life story.I write with my heart and not my pen (in this case keyboard).
So people have come to identify their own childhood with mine.
But I cannot be equated to R.K Narayan the genious behind Malgudi days.It will be like showing lamp to Sun.

Oldposts
Hello Sujatha and Kumar,
Thanks for your support.This is what makes my heart tick and my pen a new vigour to write.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji,
Thanks I have started my story telling session again.My two grand ladies would shake their heads and say, look how he suffers for mere paisas.Here your grandchildren hardly lift their fingers for anything. I heard my MIL telling my grandson, ask your grandmother how the Hemant uncle suffered in his childhood days.Learn one or two good things from him.My grandson just blinked and ran away.I was happy that my MIL had some subject to discuss with my mother, and my grandchildren. Thanks Hemant brother.

Oldposts
Hello Soma Akka,
yes, my childhood was full of wants.but neverthless happy as happy can be.Somehow my wife's complaint is there .She says that I have never understood the value of money.Where as I think that I have never given undue importance to money.I always feel that money is there to use and not spend.Money should never be stopped in safes.It is meant to flow.

Oldposts
Wish you many, many more happy anniversaries.

Oldposts
Dearest Hemant,
Congratulations to you and your wife for so many years of marriage. I hope that today was a pleasant celebration for you and that it was not marred by too much heat and dust.

Did you have many pickles at your anniversary dinner? If so, I imagine you appreciated them. Is there a young grandson or nephew to help in the preparation nowadays?
VC

Oldposts
Happy anniversay to mr/mrs. hemanth.

Oldposts
Smt&Sri Hemant,
Hearty wishes for your wedding anniversary

Oldposts
Hi Hemantji

Wish you both a happy anniversary and many more healthy years.

Regards

Oldposts
Wishing you and yours a belated Happy Anniversary.

Oldposts
My Dearest brother Hemantji, and sister-in-law. Wishing you both a very happy wedding anniversary. May the almighty bless you both with very good health,very long life, and lots and lots of happiness.God bless.Love Soma Akka.

Oldposts
Hi Mrs & Mr. Hemant ji

Happy Anniversary from Sarah and all in forumhub. I'm happy that this year there are so many cyber daughters and sons and also a new website b'coz of your efforts.

I also want to suggest one things. Why don't we post "Where are those happy days" in our website and instead of updating it here everyday you can start writing in the website and we can go there and take a look everyday. We can alteast have a history of your postings and the continuity will be there for any newcomer.

You are spending so much of your time and efforts typing this and I think it should be preserved in a place and the new website is the best place.
I'll create a new link called "Hemants Happy Days"
and you can post it there.

I hope all hubbers will agree to this.
Sarah

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji:

Congratulations on your W anniversary! I pray and wish for many more happier ones to come!!!

Oldposts
Dear Hemant,
It seems so long since we have been able to read about young Hemant's wayward adventures. The mature Hemant must be very busy, indeed.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji, I look like as though I am jobless, without my story telling session.More over I know the difficulties in typing.Take your time. Mean time i have to tolerate my two grand ladies nagging for your stories

Oldposts
Opps I forgot to tell you, I told them that you send your love to them. They are both excited that they are known in the internet.They too asked you to take care, and have lots of rest.

Oldposts
Dear Hemant:
You used to post a lot of valuable health related suggestions. So perhaps you could post those on your website too like suggestions for Diabetic diet, your famous AUT etc.

Oldposts
Hemantji,
Next time pls don't make us wait for this long.

Oldposts
OK Kumar Dear,,
Next time I will not make anyone wait .Sorry.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji,your chilhood memories brought tears to my MIL, especially the part in which you have said that you did not experince your father's love.She also looked into my eyes and said.do you know how much unused clothes of your grand children you send to the orphanage every year? Hemantji, what ever it is I think yours was a good childhood inspite of the difficulties.The goodness in running in the forest bare footed playing by a shallow stream,the group games you play with your friends,is all hard to be seen nowadays.
Its school,tutions,special classes,computer,and t.v.takes up all childrens time nowadays.Keep posting, Hemantji.I too sit back and think about my childhood.Even though I had a very strict up bringing,the memories are sweet.

Oldposts
Dear Mr Hermant

That was a long wait, but worth it, the story is lovely, the feel of your new new cloth reminds me of the feel of dresses bought in shops, My mother was a dress maker and in the life of a dressmakers child the dress bought in a shop is a very rare thing, ah! but what a pleasure.

looking forward to the next story.

Oldposts
more! more!

Oldposts
That was a nice episode Hemantji. Thank you for sharing.

Oldposts
Hello My Dear Cyber family,
I am really touched by warmth that each of you is extending.Yes, throughout my growing years, What I did not get was love and subconciously I still feel the need of it.This is what I am getting from all of you now.
I have many a touching tales which will follow whenever the context arises.

BUT I WANT TO BREAK THE NEWS THAT FINALLY I HAVE COMPLETED THE PLOT OF MY NOVEL.
IT WILL START COMING FROM NEXT WEEK .Week ly one episode will appear in my website.

It has to do with women , womenhood and pains of being a woman.Every incident, story , tale is a true depiction of what I have seen during my life.
I hope all of you will like it.This is because this is your story at some point of your life.

So see you next week.

Oldposts
Hello Family,

How about giving A SAMPLE OF MY NOVEL giving a piece from lives of different characters I am going to depict?
I think it would be nice to hear your suggestions.

Oldposts
Hello Hemant,
I am looking forward to read your novel. Indeed, all women irrespective of their country, caste, religion would have so many unspoken tales and it would be really heart-warming to read anything that has a trace of their story.
Best Regards,
Sujatha

Oldposts
Hi Hemant:

I am looking forward to your novel while enjoying your "happy days" stories.

Thanks.

Oldposts
Hi Hemantji,
What is the URL of your website ? I am eagerly waiting for the novel

Oldposts
Hello Kumar,
Here is the URL,
http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/ (http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/
)

Hello Everyone,
I am back.
So things will move As usual.

Oldposts
Herllo Hubbers,
I want to give a small explanation about WIDOW OF BRINDAVAN.
It was a practice in Bengal to get rid of widows or child widows by sending them to Benaras or Brindavan to rot and die.They, thus were robbed of their share of property and safety.They were never taken care of once they were left at Brindavan or Kasi.Thousands of unfortunate girls and women suffered terribly all thro'their lives.Death was their only salvation.
Lokhhi or Lakshmi is one such person who suffered one of the most terrible life time in GOD'S BRINDAVAN.
I will be looking forward to your comments eagerly.
You may ask me as to HOW I AM CONNECTING DIFFERENT TIMES IN A NOVEL?
Please wait and read.

Oldposts
No comments so far?
Silence is sometimes killing.

Oldposts
Hello Hemant,
Actually I did not expect to read such a serious novel.Nevertheless I am intrigued to know how the story is going to proceed further.
I donno about others but I would be happy if you also continue with little Hemant's childhood since the innocence of those incidents brought back warm memories of my childhood and in general it was very pleasant to read them.
Sujatha

Oldposts
Dear Hemant,
The content seemed a bit sexually explicit for this format. Your material might be intriguing but more graphic than this reader, for one, would expect to access in a food forum. I agree with Sujatha that your autobiographical episodes and their inherent humor, are eagerly anticipated here.

Oldposts
Dear Sujatha and Verna,
I have given a brief apology in the beginning itself.
At no point of time, it is my intention to cross the limits of decency.Also , under the mask of authenticity also, I would not like to write anything unbecoming.
This particular piece of episode which you have indirectly refered to is, to my mind is depiction of cruelty, insensitivity and greed of the last kind.
I do not think that you will have many such pieces in the novel.This novel is going to be published in,

//www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/
As far as the question of my Novel proceeding further,Let me inform you that these are pieces of the novel and story is not starting from these pieces.Please wait for the starting chapter which will start appearing in my website from this week end.
This does not mean an end to my childhood story.That too will appear .

I wrote the story of Lokkhi too.What do you say for her?

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji, your Widow of Brindavan,brought tears to both my grand ladies.They agreed that ladies were bullied in olden days.They felt very sorry for Lokkhi.I could not read every line of Kenyan Lioness to them. Only told them the zest of the story. Anyway they enjoyed your pieces of the novel. Thanks

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji, your Widow of Brindavan,brought tears to both my grand ladies.They agreed that ladies were bullied in olden days.They felt very sorry for Lokkhi.I could not read every line of Kenyan Lioness to them. Only told them the zest of the story. Anyway they enjoyed your pieces of the novel. Thanks

Oldposts
Thanks Soma Akka,
Ever since I started reading Novels (from the age of 9 or ten), first to be read were sharatchandra and Bankim Chandra's great works.
Eventhough they have not written about widows of Brindavan, my mind rebeled againt the injustice done by all of us, to women at every stage of their lives.
My novel beginning is not to be missed.It will tell you what is in store that you should expect.
One more point I want to make very clear again.
This is about Toto the Kenyan lioness.
What is written about the process that humiliated her is not to be given importance.How men have humiliated females is important.I want every one of you to place yourself in place of TOTO and try and feel those terrible things that were done to her.I , therefor placed myself in her place and while writing, I started feeling all the insults that Toto was suffering.Believe me, I have typed both the pieces in one sitting on Sunday in one hour, thro' hazy eyes and chocked throat.
I have not even penned a single page of my novel as yet.I am putting myself in the soul of each character and am going to write direct from the heart.
You can expect something to think about from me.
I don't boast of being a women's liberator or any sort of similar thing.
I am writing what has been happening thro' ages.
Let me give an example.
Did Arjuna ever question what Draupadi will feel when his mother asked them to share her?
What would be Draupadi's condition.
And lord Rama, never thought twice before banishing Sita to Jungle with two children in her belly.
We speak of so many things, we worship female forms as Devi and yet we torment them at every step.
I want to bring to the new crop of our children nearer to reality.And that is my intention.

Oldposts
BRIEF ANNOUNCEMENT

Tomorrow, first episode of my maiden Novel,
OH........GOD HELP ME.
A novel of Godesses
Will appear on my website,
http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/ (http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/
)
Please do not miss the Beginning.
Right corner of the home page has the link of the Novel.
I seek your blessings my dear Hubbers.
This Novel is about all of you, me and us.
From time to time, your comments and guidence will steer the course of the novel.

Oldposts
Hi Hemantji,
I have read the tales of your novel. It is too hard Hemantji, I can't take it to my mind. I always love to hear the happiness and joy in life. Even though I eagerly waiting to read your novel. Also waiting for the remaining part of little Hemant's funny and adventurous stories.

Regards

Oldposts
HelloMini,
I do agree with you that the Novel is HARD.
But the subject is HARD.
I am telling universal truth in my Novel.
Hope you will give your comments on the opening episode.

Oldposts
By the Grace of Guru,God & My dear Forum Hubbers, The first episode has been just posted on my web site.
http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/novel.htm (http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/novel.htm
)

Oldposts
Hemant, why are you posting on your website? why dont you publish the book?

Oldposts
Hello Punnagai,
I am a man of very moderate means.I can't afford to publish a book (Novel).
But I a very happy man.

Oldposts
Hello Hemant,
I just read your novel. It was very very nice. It has been a real good opening. The story has progressed with grace.
Looking forward to further episodes,
Sujatha

Oldposts
Hello Sujatha,
Thanks for the encouragement.I am looking forward to giving you folks a novel very close to your hearts.

Oldposts
Oh God, Hemantji, your novel is such a sad story.It brought back memories, because my mother used to tell us that all our sins are recorded, and that we have to answer to all the sins when we die.My MIL sobbed and told us that she was the fourth daughter in the family,and that how badly she was treated, because it seems they use to say that if the fourth child is a girl, the family would not even have a latch on their door.Many intersting things popping out because of your novel.I am very proud to say that my MIL is treated like a queen in my house.She is given the importance for all celebrations,and functions held in my house,even though she is a widow.Carry on Hemantji. Thanks

Oldposts
Hello Soma Akka,
I am really touched by your MIL's life.My intention is to bring out the fact that somewhere or the other, we have been iltreating women.Killing foetuses is the worst form of murder.I want people to realise that.
Today onwards, I will be posting instalments regularly as my project is over.

Oldposts
Hi Mr.Hemanth,
I feel bad for the guy. His sins are getting compounded. He'll never be able to get rid of his sins in that way. This scares the hell out of us. Maybe whatever we've done knowingly or unknowingly will have such a chain reaction?

Oldposts
Hello CI,
Theory of Karma is action and reaction theory as per Hindu scriptures.I believe in that theory.There is no one in this world who has not sinned knowingly or unknowingly.
If there were no sinners, God would be without purpose.
Having sinned is pardonable but going on sinning knowingly is not pardonable.
Fear is key to success.If you are afraid, you will be successful in not sinning again.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji, you are right about the theory of karma is action and reaction theory. Our daily prayer to the Almighty is to save us from commiting more sins,and to pardon us from sins commited unknowingly.
I think foetus killing is on the rise now with morden methods,and also by the freedom given to youngsters to mix freely.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji: I'm a silent reader of this thread - your novel has actually made me post. I have to ask "where are those happy days?" I want to hear more about the happy days - your adventures growing up. This thread brought a smile amidst the hustle and bustle of work - as it did to any number of people. I hope you will return soon to those happy days.

Oldposts
Dear Hemant,
I second kik. Where are those happy days?
Best Regards,
Sujatha

Oldposts
Hello Kik, Sujatha and others who love Child Hemant's antics,
Yes, I will be posting some lovely incidents soon.I am waiting for Ketan to come back .

Oldposts
Hello Dear Hubbers,
I have just uploaded more of my novel (almost one chapter) in my site.
)
Please click on right corner of home page Novel link and read.
I am waiting for the feedback please.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji, Three weeks back my MIL was down with pneumonia.We were all very worried. ( 96 years old ) Somehow she survived. I was sitting next to her bed, and was comforting her. I was telling her that she is going to be alright, and that she must have a positive thinking. Suddenly I asked her, are you not eager to know the outcome of Hemantji's story? Hemantji I could see a sly smile at the corner of her lips. She nodded her head. Hemantji at least for the sake of this grand lady, you must continue your story. It's a request.( Of course after your nedded rest ) Thanks. Soma akka.

Oldposts
Hello Soma Akka,
I will not let the lady go without my permission.I just read your posting and I am truelly touched by my oldest fan.
I must confess that I was stuck deep upto my neck in problems after moving over to the USA.But I think I have been selfish in just thinking about my problems and neglecting my true love.
Henceforth I am not missing the fun and that is a promise I am making to my Hubber family.
I have found out a way to keep everyone happy now.
So wait till tomorrow and I will be back to my normal self.I owe it to all my Forum Hubbers.
And don't let the lady Go without my permission.!!!!!!!

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji,
Your words really touched my heart.
The tears were flowing freely from my eyes.
Thanks Hemantji, we all pray that she lives to be a hundred years.

Oldposts
Dear Readers,
Your's Truelly Hemant is presently passing thr' a rather tough period.Half the time I on the job and half the time starting afternoons, I am practising Astrology.I get very little time .At the end of the day, I get so much tired that I have no energy left.Weekends are full of people who come for consulting me for astrology and vaastu.More than you , my friends, I am missing you all.I also know that I have a couple of very old fans waiting for the posting of my Younger days life.If wishes were horses, I would be flying them to Kuala Lumpur Malasia and hold those fans of mine in my arms and sit with them telling stories.
I have got some time today and am posting this piece.My website, Where are those....., Kitchen crisis..Hemant's cookery corner are all being neglected.But I think things would resolve once I get my own system .
Till then I think I am going to be erratic in posting.I hope all of you would forgive me for that.
Love you all.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji,
Do not worry, take your time.
I can understand your position.
Relax and and carry on with what is important first. Thanks

Oldposts
Hello Dear Hubbers,
I had promised that I will write about teenage Hemant.
I also have promised to two of my over 90 year old "fans" who are in Malaysia. (Mother and Mother-in-law of Late Somakka.) that I will write about my Village days.So I have restarted the episodes.

Contd.......
One reason for marriages not working out these days must be that couples are getting married without going thro' the long process of marriages as we experienced in our "olden days".
Marriage, in those days meant about six months to one year's preparation for the Bride and an year's preparation for the groom.

The bride to be had to prepare her "Sira varisai " or "Aanu" herself. Apart from taking her usual quota of jewells and clothes, she had to prepare pictures, Wall decoration pieces, embroider her sarees and prepare home decoration things herself.
There was nothing known as marriage presents.At the most, the bride and the groom were given five to ten rupees as marriage present.
A day before and a day after marriage was reserved for exibiting Bridal Siravarisai which we , in Gujarati call as "AAnu Paatharvu "Women of our caste, village and sometimes the representatives of the opposite side used to come to see the exibition.

Since I was seperated from my sisters at a very young age of four or five, I had even forgotten their faces .I just knew that I had three sisters(all elder to me). Except for a brief period of one month in 1958 when my Grand father was honoured by Sri Shankaracharya (periwal) of Kanchi Kamakoti peetha, I had not seen any of them at all after coming to Paddhari.
My second sisters was to be married first as my eldest sister's marriage was fixed at a later date and Anuradha was engaged to be married suddenly to a groom from Africa.!!!
Since we were not yet initiated with sacred thread as yet, it was decided that both myself and my younger brother Jogendra would be initiated and Sacred thread ceremony was to be held during Anuradh's marriage.

I always thought that if you are initiated, you were considered as a grown up.And I had always wated to Grow up fast. !!

So our household was agog with a flurry of activities. Since the time available was less than a month, we had to call the Tailor in emergency, he sat thro ten days and stitched my sister's blouses and petticoats. In those days, ther was nothing called " ladies tailor"
Ladies tailor had hardly two things to stitch.Blouse and Petticoat.
There were no dresses, nighties, house gowns, lingeries or anything else for a woman to wear except Saree.
We were taken by my grand father to the cloth shop and he bought Blue Binny mill trouser cloth and some white cloth.
When we reached home, my father saw that.He knew that my grandfather had no knowledge about such clothes.So we went again to the shop and he bought ome good shirth and nickers clothes.
He brought "sharkskin" cloth for our trousers(Halfpant) and shirts.The shirt was light blue and pants were cream.!! If I were to wear that combination, I would half die to day !! But then it was a different matter.
New clothes is what mattered and not the colour.Generall almost all new clothes stitched at home came with oil smudges from tailor's machine.They were never washed before first time wearing.

Kanji soni (Goldsmith ) was summoned with his design book and order for jewells was placed. Gold was about 150 rupees per Tola (If I remember correctly). Cook was summoned and he was given advance and was engaged for five days. The groom's party used to stay for a minimum period of three days then.!!

So much was happening in our house at that time, that I can't describe it fully .

My elder brother was sent to Rajkot to buy buttons and design s and Cardamom skins with a sparrow picture .In those days, girls had to make wall pictures made of different things.Then the craze was to make sparrows with Cardamom skin and Rabbits with white Nylon Shining buttons.
She sat thro' nights of work and sat about creating her home decorations.She embroidered clothes , table clothes and likes for her new home.She had to learn cooking tips and other intricacies of cookery from my aunt.

Oldposts
Dear Hemantji mama, Thanks for the story. Your first line really jolted me. I will be reading it to my grandmas. Thanks

Oldposts
Hemant,
I stumbled upon this as I was browsing through old responses. I really liked your childhood memories.
I spent all my time reading this today.
Please post some more.
Eagerly awaiting.
<a name="last"></a>

NOV
31st October 2004, 08:13 AM
Dear Hemant
Your thread has been restored. Please carry on with your reminiscences.

Hemant Trived1
31st October 2004, 04:09 PM
Hello NOV,
Its wonderful to get transported again to childhood . Thanks !!.
Would love to meet you if and when I come to singapore.

sri3440
3rd November 2004, 01:57 AM
:D

Hemant ji

Liked your postings. the mango pickle season brought back memories...fond memories. great to see the post. Please continue, the weekly dose of your reminiscences is doing good for mind and soul !!

regards

Srinivas

Sandeep
6th November 2004, 12:55 AM
Yes yes you all guys are expert cooks and miss all the natural ways of cooking. But non of you have any sympathy for bachelors like me who dont know cooking and have no one or no time for cooking. :(

Thanks to those ready made spice powders we can make someting and eat.

Surya
6th November 2004, 02:32 AM
Sandeep,
U should try cooking ur own food for a while. First u will have to take the risk of eating it. :lol: But Later on ur food will be edable, u'll become a better cook, than u are now. That's how I can eat my food nowadays. But my parents can't eat it when they're over from India, though, that's the time my mother cooks. 8)

Reena
6th November 2004, 05:56 AM
Lol! I'm glad that my mom forced me into learning cooking. It really helps now, eventhough I hated it back then.

Sandeep
8th November 2004, 10:33 PM
I was the kind of boy who will come to the table on time and say "mommy i am hungry". All these years I never ever complemented my mother for all the trouble she took. Moreover if she cooks something i dont like i wont eat and cause trouble (till she gets angry, once she gets angry the tiger in me turns to a pussy cat).

But now after leaving my native, when I go back home on vacation I happily eat whatever she gives. I can see the surprice on her face.

Now I am trying to cook for myself and when I go home next time i will cook her a nice lunch.

Dr. Veena
15th November 2004, 01:21 PM
Wow!
Excellent topic and style of narration.

Eminent writer, R.K Narayan has mentioned an incident in his autobiography, " My days", where hs grandma dries leftover rice, chillies etc to make a side dish, during the summer time. Your narration reminds of me that.

My grandmother ( she's no more) used to make something called "Mango bars", with ripe Mangos. She used to dry it in the sun for many days together. I don't recall ehether she used to add anything in it. It would come in rectangular pieces and can be eaten just like that. What a lovely sweet!

annamalaifan
16th December 2004, 04:56 PM
yummy yummy yummy......im really good at eating and i love it. although i dont know how to cook....i know how to make my mother and sisters angry with my critics....

sonu gopi
17th December 2004, 01:07 PM
yummy yummy yummy......im really good at eating and i love it. although i dont know how to cook....i know how to make my mother and sisters angry with my critics....

You little rascal......if they go on strike you had it!! :lol: :lol:

SONU GOPI :wink: :wink:

Querida
18th December 2004, 10:40 PM
my Amma always always goes out of her way to make food to our preferences...everyday she literally will ask what do you guys wanna eat? She also maintains variety...never have we eaten the same thing for lunch and dinner....is the norm in other households...she will also go to the trouble of making alternative meals if she knows we dont prefer it...especially for me cause i hate mushrooms and dont prefer meat :oops: we always have breakfast western style, lunch traditional food (rice and atleast 5 different side dishes) and then for dinner we have italian, chinese, mexican whatever...it helps cause my Pappa also is a great cook too..especially in international cuisine so we are always getting something new to try and they are always first at encouraging it...when a child i use to resent the fact that we lacked greatly on the snacking/junk food department...now i do not know a wiser decision could have been held especially against our whiny stubborn pleas...im just glad i learned early to appreciate her efforts and though thank yous and help are in now way full compensation for what she does for us...i still make sure i can do what i can... :|

the problem is when i cook i have to do it myself independently...i find it very difficult to just watch and learn from my mother or father...i guess it is from my independent style of learning academic materials...anyways i worked up the courage and took out a cookbook over the summer...the happiness that my mother showed when i had cooked two measly veggie dishes for her...i will never forget... :D :D

Dr. Veena
19th December 2004, 07:19 PM
Wow! Sounds interesting, Querida darling!

Shekhar
20th December 2004, 09:54 AM
Querida,

Your post is interesting...

There was something with our mothers, which is absent in the newer generations, the pride they took in cooking excellent food, eventhough it involved enormous work.
If you see a bit deeper...
Ladies of this generation crib and cry at cooking, because they have something else to boost their ego, something else where they could prove their mettle. But with our mothers, being typical housewives of yester years, had only cooking and house keeping to garner appreciation. And what a fine job they made of it!!! They were artists in their own right.

It is so sad that a culture of exquisite traditional cooking has vanished for ever.... :(

sv
20th December 2004, 08:55 PM
What about the new culture of working women? Its not just boosting ones ego which makes women to go for work. Its also the financial situation at home. Given the choice many women will sit at home, doing the household works happily.
Many modern women are tying to do good at work and at home. Some modern men also really understand their burden. However some other are really reluctant, just comparing their wives with others, and with their own mom! Disgusting!

Our father or grand father didn't expect anything else from wives (like good communication skill, higher degree, good salary, interest in extracurricular activities, "tall, slim, fair" etc etc.); all they expected was a loving, caring and responsible wife. So they got what they wanted!

Now?!!! The more the desire, the more will be the disappointment.

Shekhar
21st December 2004, 09:36 AM
SV,

You get disgusted very soon.. you must be a woman!! :D

No, I was not making any comparative value judgment of different generations of women. I was just delving into the psyche of older generation women whose world ended at the walls of their kitchen. Yet they found something to retain dignity and boost esteem of their being. The men of their era wanted them.
Modern woman has many facets of her life unlike earlier generations. My comment was only that traditional cooking has suffered.
I wouldn't want a cook and housekeep as my wife. I sure want a woman of intellect and individuality.
My sadness is not for changing woman, but for vanishing dishes!!
Ha, ha, 'tall, slim and fair'.. ofcourse lady, that's where romance originate. But unfortunately, the slim and fair girlfriends become fat and unfair (specially towards husbands) once they become wives!! :D

a.ratchasi
21st December 2004, 01:02 PM
Ladies of this generation crib and cry at cooking.... But with our mothers, being typical housewives of yester years

If the above is not a comparative value judgment....hmmmm wonder what it is? :)

But unfortunately, the slim and fair girlfriends become fat and very unfair (specially towards husbands) once they become wives

Yeah, and men remain in shape and are charming, courteous, loveable, intelligent, highy attentive (selective hearing, huh?what is that?) after marriage, right, Shekhar? :)

Shekhar
21st December 2004, 06:16 PM
Ladies of this generation crib and cry at cooking.... But with our mothers, being typical housewives of yester years

If the above is not a comparative value judgment....hmmmm wonder what it is? :)

Not value judgment Lady... sheer statement of fact :D :D

Yeah, and men remain in shape and are charming, courteous, loveable, intelligent, highy attentive (selective hearing, huh?what is that?) after marriage, right, Shekhar? :)

Of course... otherwise how can we flirt with others!!! :D :D

sv
22nd December 2004, 04:56 AM
Shekar, sometimes fact also should be told in the correct way, if possible, with the solutions (which will make it a complete fact) :-)

Sorry, i didn't mean to divert the conversation!! If a modern man understands his wifes extra responsibilities compared to his mom or grandma, and helps her, they both can enjoy the goodness of their tradition as well as the comforts of the modern world. In fact nowadays we can see many understanding and intimate couples around us. I doubt whether such intimacy existed in the past.

In any case, whether it is food or festivals or comfortable life, i like the present way of living which looks more balanced. What i miss is the presence of our relatives to enjoy festivals and the special foods with us. Sharing ofcouse brings added taste and joy!

In childhood having poori or chappathi itself occured once in a blue moon. Now we got the opportunity to enjoy (at home, ofcourse!) pizza, lasagna, chowmin in addition to avar murukku, seedai, vadai, paayasam...

oops, i am feeling hungry now :d

Querida
27th December 2004, 12:12 PM
Querida,

Your post is interesting...

There was something with our mothers, which is absent in the newer generations, the pride they took in cooking excellent food, eventhough it involved enormous work.
If you see a bit deeper...
Ladies of this generation crib and cry at cooking, because they have something else to boost their ego, something else where they could prove their mettle. But with our mothers, being typical housewives of yester years, had only cooking and house keeping to garner appreciation. And what a fine job they made of it!!! They were artists in their own right.

It is so sad that a culture of exquisite traditional cooking has vanished for ever.... :(

I agree Shekhar to a certain extent...i still love the men who from yesteryears and now help our their wives in and out of the house....it just that there are more responsibilities for everyone now...and so sharing has got to be a must....as for slim tall and fair....ahhh the three qualities that draw the eye...well letting of these traits are from both sides.....well i guess some gain weight while others lose hair...anyways it just means both sides should think of staying healthy and working out....always keeps one happy and satisfied...