PDA

View Full Version : KERALA 50(PART-II)

padmanabha
28th October 2006, 07:23 PM
[tscii:7bc5d8862f]There are certain periods in history which still remains unknown hence distorted by interpreters. In Travancore also not much is known about the short spell between concept of Independent Travancore and the formation of the union of Travancore – Kochi. Here is an attempt to putting together objectively that phase of Travancore.

The main characters involved were Sree Chithira Tirunal, the then ruler of Travancore, and the Machiavellian Dewan Sir C P Ramaswami Iyer.

Sree Chithira Tirunal after ascending the musnud in 1931 nurtured a dream of making CP the Dewan of Travancore. Why? Primarily because, he was associated Travancore, since the period of Sree Moolam Tirunal. His administrative skill and foresight was well known and the visionary ruler naturally opted for equally eminent Dewan who could lead the country towards progress. (Later history reveals that this decision proved right.) CP initially refused, but accepted the offer after five years that is in 1936. He continued till 1947 and Travancore indeed surged ahead, and had an uninterrupted stint towards progress.

The Temple Entry Proclamation, abolition of capital punishment, adult franchise, free and compulsory primary education, mid day meals, establishment of Travancore University, commencement of procurement of food grains to prevent famine, nationalized road transport, air port facility, Pallivassal hydro-electric project, the victory over Mullaperiyar case, establishment of Swati Tirunal Music academy and Sree Chithira Art gallery, rapid industrialization were some of the reforms introduced by the duo and the State marched on towards progress.

Regarding the Punnapra Vayalar incident Sir C P later remarked:
“The so called excesses of my time, does not amount in the matter of imprisonment and police firing even to one hundredth of what has been happening in Kerala and else where in recent times.”

C P & Independent Travancore:

In 1946, C P said, “There was no price too high to pay for Indian unity. It was after civil war, that the US merged….” Referring to the move for partition of India and Pakistan he said “no partition in history has ever worked well.” That is what we witness today whether it is Palestine or Pakistan.

C P‘s move was to introduce the American model of Government and he envisaged the “India Commonwealth.” He suggested all Princely States to merge with the Indian union. The then Prime Minister Clement Atlee, and the Viceroy Lord Mountbatten announced that on the lapse of Paramountcy, the Princely States would become independent and Soveriegn and they could negotiate with Indian leaders regarding the future of the Princely States.

Travancore opted for independence with the Maharaja as the absolute Sovereign with responsibilities, well defined and not a constitutional head of the State. Travancore stood for a strong centre, without sacrificing the State’s internal Sovereignty (This was what Mountbatten had assured all the Princely States) and the centre should look after defense, communications, and external affairs.

“It has been and will be my intention to associate my people with me in the tasks of Government the material and human resources of this State are abundant. Its people are highly educated and possess intellectual agricultural and industrial aptitudes of a high order. All the elements necessary for a happy and prosperous national existence are present, and I feel confident that with the blessings of Providence and the cooperation of my people Travancore will realize its destiny as a sovereign State working in close collaboration with the rest of India in all matters of common concern. At this auspicious moment I call upon all my beloved people to rejoice with me and to join me in dedicating ourselves to build anew and in fuller amplitude the fabric of a great Travancore.”

Thousands listened in to this speech, enraptured and thrilled to the most fitting and gracious Message of His Highness The Maharaja embodying a historic turn in the destiny of the State unprecedented in all her three thousand years of her history and rarely before was it given to any ruler of the State thus to cross the Rubicon with a nobler vision with a greater appreciation of the abiding good of the country and the people.

But unexpectedly the British swallowed their assurances regarding independence and sovereignty of Princely States. By the time, the Instrument of Accession was being prepared by Sir C P to be sent to the Maharaja for approval.

It was fate that played the subsequent game. The Maharaja took a week to go through the draft of the Instrument of Accession. With in that period an attempt to assassinate SIR CP took place.

The ATTEMPT AND AFTER:

“If my time has come, I cannot stop it” was C P‘s remark when the intelligence report said that his life was in danger. On 25th July, 1946, he insisted to attend the concert of Semmangudi Sreenivasa Iyer. After 15 minutes he was about to leave. The I G who accompanied CP was stopped by somebody for a moment; CP with his secretary Chidambaram walked towards the car.

The assassin swung a knife at C P’s neck. CP warded off the attack with his left hand. His “angavastram” protected from getting injured. Lights went off soon. The assassin made four more attempts-at the back, skull behind the left ear, left cheek (flesh was hanging loose) and the lower palate and the last one slipped the aim. CP holding the hanging flesh in its place with his angavastram directed the car to the GENERAL Hospital. Dr. R Kesavan Nair attended him. As C P had late lunch only local anesthesia was administered. “I can stand any amount of pain. Go ahead.” C P is reported to have said while stitching the wounds.

The Maharaja sent the Instrument of Accession on 29th July, which was interpreted like this: “It was the attack on CP that urged the Maharaja to file the Instrument of Accession immediately.”

According to Sir CP, a responsible government akin to the Westminster never suits a country which has such diverse culture. The Federal System with autonomous State Provinces with the centre holding the residual power would be ideal for India-he suggested.

Even residing at Bhaktivilas, after the attack, he wrote the constitutional drafts, and on 13th of AUGUST THE INSTRUMENT OF Accession WAS SENT TO V P Menon. A week LATER Sir C P tendered his resignation. (He relinquished the Dewanship in 1942 and withdrew it on request).

However it was the assurance of Clement Atlee and Mountbatten which created hope among the Princely States, including Travancore. Their flip-flop was primarily the root cause of all subsequent events-an action which makes one wonder whether this was also a part of their unpopular “DIVIDE AND RULE STRATEGY.”
[/tscii:7bc5d8862f]