PDA

View Full Version : Which Western Movie you watched / watching recently.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

ramky
22nd October 2006, 12:44 AM
In this topic, Hubbers can mention the most recent Hollywood / English language film
they watched recently, or are watching now !

Mistress Of Spice : *ing Aishwarya Rai & Dylan McDermott.

thamizhvaanan
22nd October 2006, 07:52 AM
Monster house (animation)

these animation films are good fun :redjump: :redjump:

Querida
8th January 2007, 10:12 AM
I watched "Supersize Me" where grossly the shocking affects of fastfood are demonstrated on a man who has agreed to eat McD's for 31 days....the damage to his health and well-being are worringly amazing...

NOV
8th January 2007, 11:39 AM
I just bought a Collector's Item DVD collection - all 21 James Bond movies from Dr. No to Die Another Day.

Also bought a 4-in-1 collection of all Harry Potter movies and another 3-in-1 of the Lord of Rings trilogy.

NOV
8th January 2007, 11:51 AM
Last movie seen in the cinema - Eragon - a rip off from LotR :roll:

Anoushka
6th February 2007, 07:05 PM
NOV: andha James Bond movies-ah & Harry Potter inga konjam anupi vayyunga! :)

It is so long since I watched a movie in the theatre I don't even remember what was the last one....!

ajaybaskar
23rd February 2007, 06:10 PM
Recently i watched Hollowman 2. Boring...

NOV
23rd February 2007, 07:44 PM
NOV: andha James Bond movies-ah & Harry Potter inga konjam anupi vayyunga! :)!:notthatway:
come and get it. :lol2:

NOV
23rd February 2007, 07:46 PM
Ghost Rider

:rotfl:

Kollywoodfan
23rd February 2007, 10:11 PM
Monster house (animation)

these animation films are good fun :redjump: :redjump:

:) Have u seen Happy Feet?

Wibha
24th February 2007, 11:39 AM
:omg: i saw MUSIC and LYRICS...it's soooooooooooo goooooooddd :clap: i luved it :thumbsup:

bingleguy
24th February 2007, 11:41 AM
saw The Mask of Zorro :-)

my fav Cath Zeta Jones :-)

rayan36
4th March 2007, 03:29 PM
Who Framed Roger Rabbit :thumbsup: released in late 80's I guess.......great animation with real life people, ahead of it's time

Anoushka
5th March 2007, 04:50 AM
NOV: andha James Bond movies-ah & Harry Potter inga konjam anupi vayyunga! :)!:notthatway:
come and get it. :lol2: ithO vanthutE irukEn :)

Designer
5th March 2007, 10:22 AM
Who Framed Roger Rabbit :thumbsup: released in late 80's I guess.......great animation with real life people, ahead of it's time

It was released in 1988. Superb work of Animation & Compositing in which animated cartoon characters mingled with real actors.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0096438/

great
5th March 2007, 09:36 PM
NOV: andha James Bond movies-ah & Harry Potter inga konjam anupi vayyunga! :)

ChennaiLa easyA kedaichirukum :)

Querida
6th March 2007, 05:20 AM
:swinghead: "Little Miss Sunshine" :swinghead:

Querida
12th March 2007, 06:03 AM
Just watched "hell boy" i liked it even with the attempts as "witty" quips...the hero atleast seemed deep...the ending for me was kinda...well i thought it could have been ended more resolutely...with a look to the future and all...but maybe that's just my need for good endings

Anoushka
29th March 2007, 01:06 PM
Balaji: Chennai varumbOthu vaangikurEn :)

btw, saw "Once" - It was funny because we (Prakash and myself) were the only ones in the theatre! :lol: but it was a really clean movie.... well made mordern Irish musical :)

Querida
30th March 2007, 09:27 AM
I watched "A Knight's Tale" :roll: it can totally be missed without feeling remorse...the rock music...the ill use of medieval figures....so many jokes/puns/coincidences/cheeky references missed.....oh well....

Anoushka
2nd April 2007, 03:15 PM
Namesake... lovely movie... slow start.... but thoroughly enjoyed it!

Kollywoodfan
5th April 2007, 09:41 PM
Pride & Prejudice (2005) with Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen.

- Honestly one of the best adaptations of a novel that I have ever seen. It won many academy awards, but beyond all it's true to Jane Austen's beloved story while giving it a classy, new romantic touch. Keira and Matthew look amazing on screen. It is funny, romantic, and overall very entertaining. Must watch! Very Happy

m_23_bayarea
28th January 2008, 11:06 PM
Saw RAMBO on Friday night... Very well done movie with a slight overdose of violence though! 8-) 8-) 8-)

m_23_bayarea
3rd February 2008, 03:35 AM
Saw THERE WILL BE BLOOD last night... Dint like it much! :oops:

2 hours and 40 minutes movie... Slept for almost 2 hours! :lol:

Querida
4th February 2008, 09:32 AM
Watched Juno...liked it for its biting humour and sarcasm

Watched PS I Love You....oh God that is one english movie that would be a hit in hindhi for sure...it was soooooooooo long and boring actually...darn chick flicks!!!

Shakthiprabha.
25th March 2008, 02:12 PM
Can someone tell me the story of

'WHILE I WAS GONE' by sue miller :?

(movie had kristie alley as jo beckett)

I happened to watch it towards the end, and just got curiosus knowing the full story :?

Anoushka
25th March 2008, 04:08 PM
Watched Juno...liked it for its biting humour and sarcasm

Watched PS I Love You....oh God that is one english movie that would be a hit in hindhi for sure...it was soooooooooo long and boring actually...darn chick flicks!!! Wasn't that based on a book by Ceclia Ahern - The Irish PM Bertie Ahern's daughter? :)

MrJudge
25th March 2008, 05:45 PM
Saw THERE WILL BE BLOOD last night... Dint like it much! 2 hours and 40 minutes movie... Slept for almost 2 hours!

Eager to see it...... veetla velai jashthiyO?

P_R
25th March 2008, 05:47 PM
Juno :-|

I found it good but not great. Guess it was overhyped by my colleagues.

Querida
26th March 2008, 12:17 AM
Juno :-|

I found it good but not great. Guess it was overhyped by my colleagues.

Well Anoushka guess the PM's daughter is aiming for a step into Bollywood :P

And Prabhu I have learned that hype is sometimes the worst enemy any piece of work can have...oftentimes when i watch something after it's been continuously lauded, I think I set my expectations too high...like I'm going to be totally blown away...of course that rarely happens and therefore a decent, well thought, or even path breaking effort is not seen for what it is. FYI had no hype about Juno...did have over-the-top hype about Titanic..which I still look at with jaded eyes.

P_R
26th March 2008, 12:19 PM
Titanic was so overhyped that I started hating it. The hyped lived on after the release.
When I was in my undergrad Titanic was part of the syllabus for an English language paper (don't ask!).

I grabbed the opportunity to vent my spleen and wrote "what a fall there was" when James Cameron who gave us the thought provoking "Terminator" and engrossing "True Lies" should stoop to this. Now, I am not even sure I was kidding back then. I was so pissed :-)

Was traveling recently. I usually watch the films which I wont get to see anywhere except flights: Arabic, Malay, Thai :P You can only be pleasantly surprised here. I saw Juno on my return flight after a couple of my colleagues said it was fantastic. That is why I didn't enjoy it that much.

I dread Dasaavathaaram....I am in a self imposed insular state now.

crajkumar_be
26th March 2008, 01:02 PM
I dread Dasaavathaaram....I am in a self imposed insular state now.
mahA pAvam mahA pAvam (perippA, pEsinELA?)
:twisted:

P_R
26th March 2008, 01:13 PM
CR, ellAm nanmaikkE !

Sinthiya
28th March 2008, 09:43 AM
recently watched Jane Austin Book Club...interesting to wonder which character i would be (of J. Austen's characters in her books).....

thilak4life
28th March 2008, 10:09 AM
Juno is nowhere near the league of dramedies like AGAIG or even LMS.

thilak4life
28th March 2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I throw up at anything thats got to do with Titanic and that dreadful theme music...

P_R
28th March 2008, 10:33 AM
Juno is nowhere near the league of dramedies like AGAIG or even LMS. appidinnA ?

Nerd
28th March 2008, 10:36 AM
As Good As It Gets and Little Miss Sunshine. But I found Juno to be better than those two :)

HBK
28th March 2008, 12:35 PM
Cheaper by the Dozen 2 - better than the first one.

MrJudge
28th March 2008, 06:47 PM
As Good As It Gets and Little Miss Sunshine. But I found Juno to be better than those two :)

As good as it gets? Isn't it old movie with helen and jack nickelon? it was a good one. I heard that little miss sunshine was very good, haven't seen it but looks like Juno is also a good one too. I should check them up.

crajkumar_be
28th March 2008, 10:36 PM
LMS > AGAIG IMO (modhalla indha abbreviations la pesaradha niruthanum)

Can't *stand* Helen Hunt's voice!, by the way

bingleguy
28th March 2008, 10:54 PM
Dracula :shaking:

Querida
28th March 2008, 11:50 PM
wow Vasanth impressive Display Pic!

Little Miss Sunshine was Hi-larious!!!
But I liked Juno too :)

(YS2CK_BI) (Yes to crajkumar_be's idea) :p :lol:

I watched "The Party" with Peter Sellers where he acts like a desi dude....funny...because of simple goofy antics

Sellers was funny in "Dr. Strangelove" only near the ending, or so i felt so, I liked him (and the plot) much better in "LadyKillers"

he was a very disturbed yet funny man nonetheless...

bingleguy
29th March 2008, 12:16 AM
:notworthy: Q :-) The great NTR is the one who has made the little display pic proud :-)

P_R
29th March 2008, 12:23 AM
Sellers was funny in "Dr. Strangelove" only near the ending, :notthatway:
Well listen Dimitri...how do you think I feel about it :rotfl:

thilak4life
29th March 2008, 01:36 AM
As good as it gets is in fact as good as it gets with its approach to its characters. Sketching the characters of Jack nicholson or Helen Hunt, the senile old coot of a writer or the upholding waitress they might be, the impulsive conversations are superbly written that you grin at a deeper level, and with applause for the writer, mainly because I couldn't think of a quote that's spit out hard to contravene the schema. Even the emotion is measured to only skim at the surface. The acting from Greg kinnear to Nicholson is top notch. Especially the talent of the ever so spooky Jackie boy is unquestionable. Though sadly, he would overdo this routine in subsequent features, and the caricatures are painful. But I digress. He's obsessively compulsive here (at least to this particular fan)

Now I certainly liked the heartfelt Little miss sunshine, much more than Juno or Superbad or Knocked up. All three I've equally liked, and save your brickbats for putting 'em together, Juno this year has got so prolific, and appealed in a much bigger way. But personally, it made me wince quite a lot, & I couldn't stand the corny and forced references. In contrast, I could anyday identify the Nietzsche and the desertion of the teenager in LMS. Even the collective acting is not a patch on LMS. Forget Minnesotan knack that you would expect, you won't get that here. But hey, the ensuant (and enchanting) story of a stripper-turned-blogger-turned-writer named after your Playstation character(?) walking the ramp to collect the academy award on a kitty attire(?!) is mindblowing in retrospective, now what a story that would have been.
Though my reaction like Udall (the trademark snort..aaaahhh) I can't do this huh! (Hold the head with both hands), Juno is just anotha' zippo, pronto!

Nerd
30th March 2008, 11:10 AM
Thilak, idhu endha language :confused2: :yessir:

kannannn
30th March 2008, 08:18 PM
The Bank Job. Well made and engrossing. Just when I thought the season of good movies has ended, this one comes as a whiff of fresh air, nay, like the first cigarrete of the day :P . Not all 'Conspiracy Theory' movies work, but this one does and soon leaves the viewer wondering if what he sees is fiction or reality :notworthy: . Not a classic by any means, but I am sure you would all like it.

Sinthiya
31st March 2008, 08:47 AM
Horton Hears a Who!...a really fun movie!! :thumbsup:...

bingleguy
31st March 2008, 09:02 AM
How to lose a guy in 10 days .....

lovely :-)

MrJudge
2nd April 2008, 12:15 PM
watched Munich by Spielberg with lot of expectation, but overall a decent film. A few dialogues are very good in some places.

VENKIRAJA
7th April 2008, 12:27 AM
Prestige
Butterfly effect
Fight club
Usual suspects-------->My favourite movie so far......

MrJudge
14th April 2008, 05:40 PM
Junebug - Being a fan of indie films, I simply loved it.

Sinthiya
29th April 2008, 08:09 AM
Say Anything (1989)...starring a young-looking, John Cusack...a very cute and romantic movie...nice soundtrack..:)

jumbo
3rd May 2008, 09:50 PM
old movies. but good ones for me.

few good men- nicholson-cruise
liar liar-(jim carrey at his funny best) never got tired of that :D
basic- travolta

bingleguy
3rd May 2008, 11:41 PM
COPY CAT .....

huh :shock:

Yathu
9th May 2008, 02:59 AM
Saw IRON MAN last. I really enjoyed this film! I wasn't too sure about casting Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, but after watching the film I have to say I really loved his acting. He's really classy! Graphics, actions scenes, on screen chemistry between Gwenyth Paltrow and Robert Downey Jr were all great! :2thumbsup:

Deffo worth a watch! Definately better than the last Marvel movie Spiderman 3! Highly recommended. :D

Sinthiya
9th May 2008, 08:42 AM
yeap! Robert Downey Jr. suprised me too! he did justice to it...:thumbsup:...i think sequel is in the makes for sure!

on screen chemistry b/w Paltrow & Downey Jr :roll: ..not as great...Paltrow looked very different (kinda pale) :roll:

bingleguy
9th May 2008, 07:58 PM
Identity ....

started off well ... suddenly went off track and finally :shock: brutally oru chinna kozhandhaiyai sick aaki ... life fullum appadi irukkira maadiri kaatitaanga :( shaks !!!!

Yathu
10th May 2008, 03:19 AM
yeap! Robert Downey Jr. suprised me too! he did justice to it...:thumbsup:...i think sequel is in the makes for sure!

on screen chemistry b/w Paltrow & Downey Jr :roll: ..not as great...Paltrow looked very different (kinda pale) :roll:

Yeah I think they've already confirmed a sequel for 2010! This is my new favourite comic book adaptation movie (along with the x-men films!).

Next movie I can't wait for now is Indy 4! It's gonna rock for sure! :redjump:

ajithfederer
13th May 2008, 11:55 AM
No country for old men - brilliant :D

bingleguy
13th May 2008, 09:31 PM
Stay Alive...

:shock:

jumbo
19th May 2008, 03:44 PM
Get Shorty :P

travolta :)

MrJudge
22nd May 2008, 04:50 PM

:thumbsup: Yes, Coen brothers are 8-)

MrJudge
22nd May 2008, 04:51 PM
The prestige :thumbsup:

bingleguy
22nd May 2008, 09:08 PM
THE EXORCIST - uncut director version :shock:

MrJudge
27th May 2008, 01:28 PM
Micheal Clayton :D

Vivasaayi
27th May 2008, 02:05 PM

how was it?

MrJudge
27th May 2008, 07:33 PM

how was it?

I liked it, that's why I put a "very happy" smiley :) It was nominated for Best Picture at the academy but it lost, I would rate this movie GOOD.

ajithfederer
27th May 2008, 10:24 PM
Judge,

Did you like the ending? :roll:. I for sure loved it :P

ajithfederer
1st June 2008, 12:14 AM
28 days later - Visuals are stunning.

VENKIRAJA
5th June 2008, 06:50 PM
2001: A space odyssey
Speechless thrill.The god would scorn at you if you don't wanna watch.

P_R
5th June 2008, 07:00 PM
Glad one of us enjoyed the film so much.
You may be interested in the book (http://www.cosmopolis.ch/english/cosmo9/kubrick2001.htm) mentioned here.

ShereneAndrew
8th June 2008, 03:25 PM
IJ :bluejump:

I loved it.. 8-)

Nerd
12th June 2008, 09:39 AM
You may be interested in the book (http://www.cosmopolis.ch/english/cosmo9/kubrick2001.html) mentioned here.
PR, I get a 404. Baed link..

P_R
13th June 2008, 07:58 PM
You may be interested in the book (http://www.cosmopolis.ch/english/cosmo9/kubrick2001.htm) mentioned here.

:oops:
Try now. I corrected it (even in this post).
It links to a review of the a book by one Leonard Wheat about allegories in 2001.Really makes you go "ukkAndhu yOsippAingaLO".

And he was not done. Thought developed after the book were also published here (http://www.underview.com/bhpinsights.html). :-)

VENKIRAJA
15th June 2008, 01:41 PM

Thanks.Kubrick has become my favourite director within two movies.Two spectacular movies.Waiting for the rest.Couldn't get a torrentz link for Dr.Strangelove.The only one available has umpteen rar files and is unable to be extracted and joined.pm me if u have any other good quality files.Upload me pls.Intha padam DVD-um Mangalore--la kedaikala.

Saw Metropolis(1927)
Guess the genre?Sci-fi!
Wow for that.Don't watch it if u like matrix,Terminator and stuffs.Its terribly old and a silent-movie dialogues substitued by read-through pages in between the movie.Anyways the kinda moviemaking for the late 20s is definitely a milestone.

VENKIRAJA
21st June 2008, 07:50 PM

:oops:
Try now. I corrected it (even in this post).
It links to a review of the a book by one Leonard Wheat about allegories in 2001.Really makes you go "ukkAndhu yOsippAingaLO".

And he was not done. Thought developed after the book were also published here (http://www.underview.com/bhpinsights.html). :-)

I also heard that they made a sequel to this movie.2010.Anyone had seen that?Anyone knows what are Kubrick's favourite movies? :D

kannannn
22nd June 2008, 10:20 PM
Anyone knows what are Kubrick's favourite movies? :D
I know Kubrick was a great fan of Kieslowski. Try getting Decalogue. It was one of Kubrick's favourites. BTW has anyone (Thilak, Nerd) watched Decalogue? What is your favourite commandment?

thilak4life
23rd June 2008, 11:38 AM
Anyone knows what are Kubrick's favourite movies? :D
I know Kubrick was a great fan of Kieslowski. Try getting Decalogue. It was one of Kubrick's favourites. BTW has anyone (Thilak, Nerd) watched Decalogue? What is your favourite commandment?

I have. I'm not sure what he intends in most of the films. It took many sittings.

Favorite is "Thou shalt not kill.".

P_R
23rd June 2008, 11:44 AM
Crimes and Misdemeanours - Woody Allen :notworthy:
Enakku Bergman ellAm vENdAm....Woody Allen-E pOdhum :notworthy:

:wink: Woody Allen is a "great" filmmaker.

Of course and that is an understatement !

Read a beautiful line in an essay - a double obit. for Bergman and Antonioni: பெர்க்மென் , அன்டோனியோனி படங்களைப் பார்க்கும் போது அவர்கள் தேசத்தில் எல்லோரையும் சிலுவையில் அரைந்துவிட்டார்களோ என்று தோன்றும். :D

I found that quite precise for my taste. Could never find either particularly engrossing and the reason is perhaps as the essayist puts it.

The reason Woody Allen is enjoyable is not because he says something earth shattering. His situations, quirks and not to mention his lines seem so so typical of what one would find himself in. The humilty of cruelly laughing at one's own ego being punctured has never been done as elegantly as by him.

And he is supposedly a big fan of Bergman and buries his film with nuggets of tributes to him, which I of course miss. But give me this admirer any day to the admired - what a disturbing and enjoyable filmmaker :notworthy:

Purple Rose of Cairo coming up.... :-)

thilak4life
23rd June 2008, 12:03 PM
Crimes and Misdemeanours - Woody Allen :notworthy:
Enakku Bergman ellAm vENdAm....Woody Allen-E pOdhum :notworthy:

:wink: Woody Allen is a "great" filmmaker.

Of course and that is an understatement !

Read a beautiful line in an essay - a double obit. for Bergman and Antonioni: பெர்க்மென் , அன்டோனியோனி படங்களைப் பார்க்கும் போது அவர்கள் தேசத்தில் எல்லோரையும் சிலுவையில் அரைந்துவிட்டார்களோ என்று தோன்றும். :D

I found that quite precise for my taste. Could never find either particularly engrossing and the reason is perhaps as the essayist puts it.
Respect your taste dude. Speaking for myself, in spite of the obvious inaccessibility of few things, I find 'em quite engrossing for other reasons.

The reason Woody Allen is enjoyable is not because he says something earth shattering. His situations, quirks and not to mention his lines seem so so typical of what one would find himself in. The humility of cruelly laughing at one's own ego being punctured has never been done as elegantly as by him.
But give me this admirer any day to the admired - what a disturbing and enjoyable filmmaker :notworthy:

:exactly:

kannannn
23rd June 2008, 12:57 PM

Could you expand on it PR? Allen, Bergman and Antonioni are all different. With different ways of saying things (even different things to say), I don't think you can compare them. Something like Scorsese and Kubrick. Both have different styles and different pace. I guess it boils down to what you look for in their movies.

Thilak, of course 'Thou shalt not kill' for me too. Very close come 'Honour thy father and mother' and 'Thou shalt not commit adultery'. And I do agree that they don't sink in at first viewing. I have found that not knowing the commandment helps in following the movie better without preconceived notions (I watched the last three without knowing what they were supposed to convey and it worked well).

P_R
23rd June 2008, 02:17 PM

Could you expand on it PR? Allen, Bergman and Antonioni are all different. With different ways of saying things (even different things to say), I don't think you can compare them. Something like Scorsese and Kubrick. Both have different styles and different pace. I guess it boils down to what you look for in their movies.

Oh nothing similar between Allen and Bergman. That is the point I am making. Though Allen supposedly believes Bergman is the greatest ever, I found the admirer's films more appealing.

Regarding putting Bergman and Antonioni in a bucket, that's just how I got introduced to them: A couple of years back Sathyam Cinemas got into the habit of screening films every weekend morning 9. That is when all the two Bergmans I managed to watch, next weekend it was Antonioni.

Bergman: Virgin Spring and Cries and Whispers
I struggled to enjoy them. Particularly the misery in C&W just didn't strike a chord and the part that wasn't doleful was something I felt was too sentimental.

The Iranian director, Abbas Kiarostami once said "some movies even put you to sleep but as you walk out that evening you see that you can stop thinking about it and it ocuppies you....so keeping the audience engrossed with events is not the most important thing in films" (sic). I treated that remark with disdain. I thought "growing on you" and "acquired taste" were all polite words but empty words. But now I think he has a point. For instance I was quite hypercritical of his soporific "Taste of Cherry". I think I even posted here about it. But over the year or so that has passed I so vividly remember the visuals, the flow of the narratives, the misery ( :-) ) of the protagonist and the fascinating ending.

That didn't happen with Cries and Whispers.
Similarly, both the Antonioni films I saw the week after Bergman
(The Night and Red Desert) didn't make a big impact either. I found them kind of self-obsessive (if that's the word for it), rather eventless and bland. In essence the weightiness that those on screen felt didn't come across to the audience - me that is.

So the bucketing together of Antonioni and Bergman is just me recounting as experienced. Plus they died on the same day and the obituary in which I found the sentence covered them both. The sentence I quoted seemed to put in words what I wanted to say in a way I would have never been able to say myself - which is precisely what makes Woody Allen such a favourite of mine.

Wasn't trying to compare styles. I said I enjoyed Allen - a self-professed Bergman admirer - to Bergman himself (limited as my exposure may be).

Allen is wordy, his plots are never watertight, he goes against the visual presentation tenets of film and thus in some ways is stylistically regressive, acting is rarely great in his film but above all that his films charm me. Without being stupid - in fact being anything but that - he seems to cull out the mirth and tragedy from the most innoccuous places of life : often both from the same place.

A line like the one following is so mindboggling:
If it bends it is comedy....if it breaks it isn't
Shall I smile at the clever humour, should I be stunned
by the profundity- though he makes a sincere effot to misguide you from being taken in by the profundity. Even applause seems inappropriate to me. Only :notworthy:

kannannn
23rd June 2008, 03:13 PM
There was a 'Time' article where Allen talks about them both (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1648917,00.html).

And I see what you mean about Allen. His quirks, self-deprecating humour and ability to speed up the dullest moments of everyday happenings into a neurotic pace are all very enjoyable and relatable. But the others' works are equally relatable if you are in the right mood (something like '2001..' and 'Clockwork..'). Thilak and I touched upon Fellini and Bergman sometime back (http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1024430#1024430). As Allen himself puts it, "I think his films have eternal relevance, because they deal with the difficulty of personal relationships and lack of communication between people and religious aspirations and mortality, existential themes that will be relevant a thousand years from now." Allen's words are all the more applicable to 'Cries and Whispers' (the doctor's visits, the lone house, the colour). May be it didn't grow on you, but try it again. It just might :D.

BTW, I prefer DVDs to cinema. Nothing beats the comfort of thinking at your own pace :oops: .

P_R
23rd June 2008, 04:36 PM
Lovely interview Kannan ! I remember reading it when it came (did you post it then too ?)

You are kinda right about the mood too. But that is a typical DVD viewer problem IMO :P Most often when in a theatre I lose any idea of the mood I enter it with. In cases where in the middle of a scene I begin thinking of what I should do the rest of the day when the film is done - then there is a problem :D

BTW, I prefer DVDs to cinema. Nothing beats the comfort of thinking at your own pace :oops:
Oh ! The dark huge space where you are given the illusion of solitude - the larger than life images. These are some things I miss in DVD. Watching Madodoyo (Kurosawa's last film) in the crappy Film Chamber theatre in Chennai is a stronger memory than watching the much better Rashomon on a laptop.

Chennai (India ?) lacks classic theatres - to hell with film societies. In Toronto there is a theatre (http://bloorcinema.com/)(good old single screen) I used to frequent, that showed around 50 different films in a month. Some new releases, some b/w classics, 50s-70s, 80s-90s, international films, documentaries and what not. At $4 a film and about 15 % chairs full at a time : dunno how he stays in business !! That place is a Godsend. I hear there are theatres like that in most cities in the West. :clap:

thilak4life
23rd June 2008, 11:27 PM
Kannannn,

I didn't know the commandments that well before watching the series. The higher number of sittings is part due to my lack of patience with the pace, but you get used to it after first few episodes. Never go more than one every sitting, I'd say.

Good writeup by Allen, a self-proclaimed Bergman fanatic, and he wrote that when both Ingmar and Antonioni passed away within a week(?) Scorsese's obituary writeup on Antonioni was quite good as well. Regarding Bergman, I'd also recommend the discourse between Roger ebert, and Rosenbaum.

Nerd
24th June 2008, 08:24 AM
kannan/thilak,
Should I watch the Decalogue in some order? I religiously followed that (year of release) w.r.to the Three colors trilogy. There were very few references any way. As soon as I watched the three colors I ordered the special edition of the decalogue. Still have not got the time/mood to watch the episodes. Seen the three colors three times already :P

kannannn
24th June 2008, 01:12 PM
PR, yes, there seems to be one in every city. There is electric (http://www.theelectric.co.uk/) for those living around the Birmingham area. They show an assortment of commercial and offbeat cinema, with other events hosted regularly. BTW agree about the magic of the big screen :thumbsup: . It does have its advantages in those terms .

Thilak, yes, not more than one at a time. Part of the reason why I like DVDs. The ones I ordered came with two episodes on a disc and it gives time to contemplate before watching the next.

Nerd, yes, watch them in series. There are heavy references to characters and events from previous episodes. Catching them is part of the fun. As Thilak said, try watching them without knowing what the episodes stand for :D.

P_R
27th June 2008, 07:43 AM
The Purple Rose of Cairo

A lovely film !

Not Woody Allen's best writing by any standard. Principally it is about one interesting idea stretched thin. As always the humour and the possibilities are a class apart. The characterizations are very impressive - though the acting is not always impressive.,It has some phenomenal moments of touching absurdity. The last twist is guessable but absolutely haunting. It takes the whole film, dialogues, situations seen thus far to a new level altogether.

Woody Allen :clap:

MrJudge
10th July 2008, 11:12 AM
Judge,

Sorry for replying you late, I missed your post. Yes, I liked it. Did you see Fargo by Coen? It is also based on similar theme, Ransom money.

Sinthiya
13th July 2008, 08:13 AM
Journey to the Center of the Earth
:thumbsup: :clap: 8-) :notworthy: :thumbsup:

awesome graphics :clap: and interesting story...

MrJudge
13th July 2008, 12:20 PM
The Departed - watched it again.

Cool movie by Martin Scorsese :thumbsup:
:2thumbsup: to original writers Siu Fai Mak & Felix Chong

ajithfederer
16th July 2008, 11:51 PM
I watched half of fargo and i am yet to complete it. But whatever i saw till then was just very good.

Judge,

Sorry for replying you late, I missed your post. Yes, I liked it. Did you see Fargo by Coen? It is also based on similar theme, Ransom money.

VENKIRAJA
17th July 2008, 12:49 AM
Judge,

I'd seen fargo by one such reccomendations by Vicky anna...sad that I didn' like it...But sure the camera was amazing and the central plot was interesting,the way they project things and the main character the woman didn't work for me...Don't know why!

MrJudge
17th July 2008, 01:33 PM
I'd seen fargo by one such reccomendations by Vicky anna...sad that I didn' like it...But sure the camera was amazing and the central plot was interesting,the way they project things and the main character the woman didn't work for me...Don't know why!

I liked the plot but if you ask me to pick one from the two, my choice is No country for old men. FYI, Frances McDormand won academy award for her performance in Fargo (I didn't find her performance extra ordinary too, she did what the plot required IMO).

Vivasaayi
17th July 2008, 09:28 PM
venki,

the heroine is the usp of the movie in fargo like the villain in no country for oldmen.

amusing charecter....she is the wife of one of the coen brothers.

MrJudge
18th July 2008, 12:06 PM
The dark Knight is releasing today. Please post your views as soon as you see it. Nolan's movies are :thumbsup:

P_R
21st July 2008, 10:32 AM
Dark Night, Hancock rendukkum ticker kidaikkala

so...Wanted.

Aduththa Vijayakanth padaththula bullet summA suththi suththi vandhu sudum.

ajithfederer
21st July 2008, 09:54 PM
The Dark Knight :D

Will watch it again during this week or over the weekend 8-)

Querida
21st July 2008, 09:58 PM
The Dark Knight :D

Will watch it again during this week or over the weekend 8-)

LUCKY!!! Want to so watch it!

watched: Constantine....had a story line that could have been really delved into and developed and made into a real action packed movie...with better effects

Designer
22nd July 2008, 06:34 PM
Watched 'Only You' (1994) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110737/) : romantic comedy *ing Marisa Tomei, Robert Downey Jr.

Live Free or Die Hard (2007) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337978/) : 4th in the 'Die Hard' action series *ing Bruce Willis, Timothy Olyphant.

MrJudge
22nd July 2008, 08:33 PM
Happening by Shyamalan - average film - somehow I felt like it is a rehash of Birds.

He made Wahlberg cry couple of times :lol:

P_R
25th July 2008, 11:55 PM
The Steamroller and the Violin
Tarkovsky's diploma film.
And if this is any indication I should lap up everything he has made.What a beautiful film ! Poetic minimalism, great acting from the kid, impressive imagery, very well written. Just beautiful :clap:

Querida
26th July 2008, 10:23 AM
Watched Amadeus and Walk the Line....not intentionally on a music-movie streak....Amadeus was a masterpiece....Salieri comes across as a disturbed, embitterned yet grateful character...

I couldn't believe Joaquin actually sang all the songs in the movie...and Reese June Carter's songs...though they make getting off drugs seem like a bout with fever...and portray his first wife as a self uncaring woman though she was wronged....

Folsom Prison Blues and Walk the Line were my old faves from when i was a kid ( i was a sucker for deep voices even then)....only heard Hurt recently....still check them out if you'd like!

crajkumar_be
26th July 2008, 07:29 PM
The Steamroller and the Violin
Tarkovsky's diploma film.
And if this is any indication I should lap up everything he has made.What a beautiful film ! Poetic minimalism, great acting from the kid, impressive imagery, very well written. Just beautiful :clap:
Expecting your review of "Stalker" :)

vasanth2006
27th July 2008, 08:32 AM
Judge,

I recently watched this movie....excellent movie.....the villain is USP of this movie.....But in the climax what they are trying to tell?? :roll:

P_R
29th July 2008, 02:41 PM
Re-watched Crimes and Misdemeanours.

Brilliant. No other word for it. :clap:
Overall, I think I like it better than Manhattan and Annie Hall.

Woody Allen :notworthy:

hub rap
1st August 2008, 10:46 PM
The notebook.

A beautiful love story. The guy was a charm. He had an uncanny resemblance with Ranbir Kapoor. The girl made up for her looks with acting. She was so natural and full of enthusiasm.

Life really becomes miserable without a villain. When you are helpless and there is nobody to blame, you make a villain out of yourself, favouring only one out of the deserved ones.

pAka selavE illAdha mAdhiri irundhadhu. AanA, 30 million dollar budget-nu potrukku. appO Robot, marmayOgi ellAm shoe-string budget-A kooda madhikka mAttAnga pola? :roll:

Vivasaayi
1st August 2008, 10:48 PM
The notebook.

A beautiful love story. The guy was a charm. He had an uncanny resemblance with Ranbir Kapoor. The girl made up for her looks with acting. She was so natural and full of enthusiasm.

:roll:

:?

she was so pretty and her smile..wow!

when she meets him after seeing him on newspaper...the scene where he takes her to the lake ....beautiful film

Querida
2nd August 2008, 01:06 AM
read the book which i can vouch as the first romantic read that i actually got swept away by :) ....the movie...after chancing upon "message in a bottle" i didn't want to chance it!

finally watched Ratatouille! :cool2:

hub rap
2nd August 2008, 11:07 AM
The notebook.

:?

she was so pretty and her smile..wow!

when she meets him after seeing him on newspaper...the scene where he takes her to the lake ....beautiful film

En levellukku andha ponnu dhEvadhai. But, I was comparing with the looks of the guy. (especially because, it was love at first sight)

That lake scene was ethereal

hub rap
2nd August 2008, 11:10 AM
read the book which i can vouch as the first romantic read that i actually got swept away by :) ....the movie...after chancing upon "message in a bottle" i didn't want to chance it!

Movies are for the lazy bums. Ideally I would prefer a novel to a movie. But, my bum prefers movies :ashamed:

thilak4life
2nd August 2008, 11:36 AM

Movies are for the lazy bums. Ideally I would prefer a novel to a movie. But, my bum prefers movies :ashamed:

Well said.

hub rap
5th August 2008, 12:49 AM
Notorious.

Avant garde stuff even by today's standard.

Just when the movie ends you get to know what genre it belongs to.

Ingrid 8-)

Hitchcock :notworthy:

The lady as Sebastian's mother - Enna oru villaththanam! :evil:

Easily into my top10

Querida
5th August 2008, 05:51 AM

:lol: love your candid honesty :)

P_R
10th August 2008, 03:46 PM
Rosemary's Baby

One of the best films ever. :clap:
You don't need suspense for a thriller if you have such good acting and direction.
Much much much better than Chinatown.

kannannn
11th August 2008, 03:12 PM
Chinatown is IMO one of Polanski's best. That is not to take anything away from Rosemary's Baby, which was good in its own way. Chinatown's noir treatment was perhaps the best of its time. The mood, the lighting, the suspense were all top notch. Beyond all this, the central theme of the movie is the inescapability from the fundamental nature that forms the building block of human behavior. The fundamental nature could be anything from anger to morality to jealosy. For Jack it was his commitment to truth. Mind you, that commitment does not extend beyond his own work (he is not even interested in the corruption that seems so rampant in the political system). That, and inescapability from the past. It is my personal view that sadness is the default (and natural) state of human existence. And what could hold more sadness than the past? The appeal of Chinatown is its ability to weave this philosophy into a suspenseful detective story (Vertigo does that too, but not so effectively. The parallels between these two movies is overwhelming though).

The underlying sadness of the protagonist hits you even before the movie has started off - the very first shot has 'Curly' crying aloud over the photos of his unfaithful wife. Jack's face now appears in the background. But it is not one of silent observation. He manages to show a hint of both sympathy and distance - all in a couple of seconds (perhaps the quickest character establishment I have ever seen). This mood is so consistent throught, that it even manages to penetrate the facade of a new job that Jack tries to put up and it is apparent that it is just a matter of time before his past catches up with him. Even the female character here, who is usually a femme fatale in Noir movies has its baggage and evokes sadness throughout the movie. In fact, it is the female character who ultimately pays the price for Jack's inability to 'let sleeping dogs lie' - another tradition overturned. The moment of brilliance comes when Evelyn tells Khan's address to Jack and the camera focuses on Jack's stunned face :notworthy: :notworthy: . That's the cue for closure - for the inevitable tragedy that awaits the characters in the alien part of the town Jack so desperately tries to avoid.

P_R
11th August 2008, 10:42 PM
Kannan, my comment achieved its purpose. :-) Thank You !

Querida
12th August 2008, 08:02 AM
I as always catching up on movies

Sabrina: Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart what more could i ask for?...maybe a not so abrupt ending :)

I watched scarface...after all the ppl who discouraged me from watching it I can't say I hate it...the direction could have been so much better...but the character was played to a hilt (sorry to all those who hated know what a genuine cuban accent sounds like)

a fish called wanda was a disappointment, i'll admit i was expecting so much more from monty python greats: palin and cleese...a running gag that ran too long.... :roll:

lastly have by chance come upon the movie crimes and misdemeanours will be my first woody allen movie...so i hope it's as good as you say it is PR... :P

P_R
12th August 2008, 09:06 AM
Q, expectations are the sources of disappointment. Tune down and smell the roses !

remember seeing Fish Called Wanda long back. It is not rip-roaring but has its funny parts:

Michael Palin is hilarious with his stutter. When he finally conquers it the first thing he says is: "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood" :lol:

sarna_blr
12th August 2008, 09:10 AM
Residential evil :clap:

P_R
12th August 2008, 09:40 AM
sarna adhu Resident Evil :-)

kannannn
12th August 2008, 02:22 PM
Kannan, my comment achieved its purpose. :-) Thank You !
:lol: Nothing works like prodding. Left to myself, it might have taken forever.

fish called wanda was a disappointment, i'll admit i was expecting so much more from monty python greats: palin and cleese...a running gag that ran too long...
I think FCW was delightful :D. Me and my friends had sneakily got tickets for 'Barbarian Queen' at Satyam and were cursing ourselves when we entered the wrong hall playing FCW. But we found the movie to be so entertaining that we got tickets for the next show to watch it from start. Palin was undoubtedly good (the mistimed happiness at the old woman's death is perhaps the best moment), but Kevin Kline was, IMO the best. The taunting of Palin, the utterly foolish attempts at trying to pass of as intelligent (Lee Curtis: "The central message of Buddhism is not 'every man for himself'. And the London Underground is not a political movement." :lol: ) and his not so subtle jealousy were all very funny. One of my favourite comedies.

crajkumar_be
12th August 2008, 04:51 PM
I enjoyed AFCW too!

(Lee Curtis: "The central message of Buddhism is not 'every man for himself'. And the London Underground is not a political movement." :lol: ) and his not so subtle jealousy were all very funny. One of my favourite comedies.
:lol:

sarna_blr
12th August 2008, 05:08 PM
sarna adhu Resident Evil :-)

:lol: Actually today morning I saw it from the mid.... my friend told the movie name... but enjoyed it :D

Querida
13th August 2008, 01:48 AM
Q, expectations are the sources of disappointment. Tune down and smell the roses !

:yessir:

Well to all who came to the defence of AFCW...i am not saying it didn't have its funny moments...i'm just saying (maybe wrongly so) that i expected differently...maybe a few years down the road i'll watch it again and think differently...but then again maybe not.

I liked The Birdcage :P

Querida
13th August 2008, 01:52 AM
Residential evil :clap:

:shock: that's what we call our neighbours...

bingleguy
13th August 2008, 02:38 AM
SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

ajithfederer
13th August 2008, 11:23 PM
Pursuit of Happiness

En area perumayae kaapatriya Will smith :clap:

P_R
16th August 2008, 10:48 PM
Beyond all this, the central theme of the movie is the inescapability from the fundamental nature that forms the building block of human behavior. The fundamental nature could be anything from anger to morality to jealosy. For Jack it was his commitment to truth. Mind you, that commitment does not extend beyond his own work (he is not even interested in the corruption that seems so rampant in the political system). That, and inescapability from the past. It is my personal view that sadness is the default (and natural) state of human existence. And what could hold more sadness than the past? The appeal of Chinatown is its ability to weave this philosophy into a suspenseful detective story......

............. In fact, it is the female character who ultimately pays the price for Jack's inability to 'let sleeping dogs lie' - another tradition overturned. The moment of brilliance comes when Evelyn tells Khan's address to Jack and the camera focuses on Jack's stunned face :notworthy: :notworthy: . That's the cue for closure - for the inevitable tragedy that awaits the characters in the alien part of the town Jack so desperately tries to avoid.

Was just re-reading this. A very good post Kannan. :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
18th August 2008, 09:44 PM
Tropic Thunder - :lol:

P.S: Enaku ippo ellam perum kolappam ennanna engless padathai paatha ingae solrardha illai TFM'la sollanumanna orae thinking :P

Querida
18th August 2008, 10:07 PM

P.S: Enaku ippo ellam perum kolappam ennanna engless padathai paatha ingae solrardha illai TFM'la sollanumanna orae thinking :P

:lol: post in both places then! :P

Ramakrishna
19th August 2008, 06:17 PM

yaa, atleast post count will increase :lol2:

Querida
20th August 2008, 09:20 AM

yaa, atleast post count will increase :lol2:

:wink: :exactly: :lol:

rangan_08
20th August 2008, 05:40 PM
[quote=kannannn] It is my personal view that sadness is the default (and natural) state of human existence. And what could hold more sadness than the past? The appeal of Chinatown is its ability to weave this philosophy into a suspenseful detective story......

Is that why the new borns announce their arrival on planet earth by a loud cry ??? This one sure needs a profound analysis.

Was just re-reading this. A very good post Kannan. :thumbsup:

A great post indeed. Adhanaladhan nenachi nenachi appreciate panreengala, like Gounder ("adhu eppidra enna paathu andha kealvi keatta ??") :D

MrJudge
22nd August 2008, 11:45 PM
Pursuit of Happiness

En area perumayae kaapatriya Will smith :clap:

I saw it today. I liked it very much, Will smith redeemed himself from all his sins by doing MIB kinda movies. The script and Will smith's performance :notworthy:

P_R
23rd August 2008, 10:42 PM
Dark Knight

Worth every single bit of hype.
Fantastic movie. It has been a long time since I have been bowled over like this. Most definitely will rewatch.
Chris Nolan...engeyO pOyitteenga sir !

ajithfederer
24th August 2008, 03:17 AM
:thumbsup:

Dark Knight

Worth every single bit of hype.
Fantastic movie. It has been a long time since I have been bowled over like this. Most definitely will rewatch.
Chris Nolan...engeyO pOyitteenga sir !

P_R
4th September 2008, 04:24 PM
Wall-E

Pretty good.
Absolutely grand, impressive and enjoyable.

Best animation film ever appidinnu build-up kodukkappattadhaala light-a espet pannittEn. Big bad corporation is as old as the hills. The envelope of naivete were quite bugging. Children's film and all that. Characterization (!) was very well done, particularly Wall-E's.
The scene where Wall-E and EVE first meet is very well done.

Perhaps one of the reasons I didn't enjoy the film was my next seat neighbour. A young girl who couldn't stop sharing her opinion to her friend: "oh how cute !", "cho chweet" (I have never heard someone actually say that !) and all. She was sniffing with hanky and all in some parts of the film (eh :? ?).

When EVE rebuilds Wall-E in the end (quite an Oedipal moment there) and Wall-E seems to be amnesiac, EVE does all it can to remind Wall-E. One spark in the theatre remarked: "ippo kuttikkaraNam pOttu kaamikkum" . :D That was the moment for me.

littlemaster1982
4th September 2008, 08:21 PM
Perhaps one of the reasons I didn't enjoy the film was my next seat neighbour. A young girl who couldn't stop sharing her opinion to her friend: "oh how cute !", "cho chweet" (I have never heard someone actually say that !) and all. She was sniffing with hanky and all in some parts of the film (eh :? ?).

:sigh2: There were 10-12 kids in the front row of mine and were chattering non-stop (about Pepsi & popcorn) :banghead: Totally spoiled the movie watching experience :x

P_R
4th September 2008, 08:28 PM
brats :mad:
naangellAm andha kaalathile evvaLavu adakkama nadandhukkuvOm theriyumA ! :-)

ajithfederer
4th September 2008, 08:34 PM
Especially from girls right :lol2:

Sentence arambikaradhum mudikaradhum indha vaarthaigal dhan :argh: :curse:

A young girl who couldn't stop sharing her opinion to her friend: "oh how cute !", "cho chweet" (I have never heard someone actually say that !) and all.

Querida
5th September 2008, 12:52 AM
:lol: well lucky guys you have actually met one of my own species that I have to meet...the "cho chweet" bunch! I have never actually heard anyone say that except as to ridicule those who say it.... :P

directhit
5th September 2008, 06:47 AM
Wall-E

Pretty good.
Absolutely grand, impressive and enjoyable.

Best animation film ever appidinnu build-up kodukkappattadhaala light-a espet pannittEn. Big bad corporation is as old as the hills. The envelope of naivete were quite bugging. Children's film and all that. Characterization (!) was very well done, particularly Wall-E's.
The scene where Wall-E and EVE first meet is very well done.

When EVE rebuilds Wall-E in the end (quite an Oedipal moment there) and Wall-E seems to be amnesiac, EVE does all it can to remind Wall-E. One spark in the theatre remarked: "ippo kuttikkaraNam pOttu kaamikkum" . :D That was the moment for me. :lol: :lol:

Nerd
7th September 2008, 09:56 AM
:sigh2: There were 10-12 kids in the front row of mine and were chattering non-stop (about Pepsi & popcorn) :banghead: Totally spoiled the movie watching experience :x
It used to be much worse in Trichy. I always sit beside people who would go, "eppO mApla scene varum" and few people in the crowd clap for french kisses :banghead:

When I was watching No Country for Old Men here after the movie ended (rather abruptly - credits started rolling in the middle of a boring conversation) one college dude was like What the **** - that brought the whole theater down, diluted the situation :rotfl:

littlemaster1982
7th September 2008, 10:29 AM
It used to be much worse in Trichy. I always sit beside people who would go, "eppO mApla scene varum" and few people in the crowd clap for french kisses :banghead:

When I was watching No Country for Old Men here after the movie ended (rather abruptly - credits started rolling in the middle of a boring conversation) one college dude was like What the **** - that brought the whole theater down, diluted the situation :rotfl:

:omg: :rotfl:

P_R
14th September 2008, 09:16 PM
Eternity and a day by Theo Angelopolous :idontgetit:

ajithfederer
15th September 2008, 09:24 PM
Burn after reading :lol:

Sid_316
15th September 2008, 11:23 PM
Burn after reading :lol:

how was it ?? :roll:

Querida
16th September 2008, 10:34 AM
I watched Crime and Misdemeanors...and yes without expectations is delighted me....it was tongue-in-cheek funny at times and other times it was just a study of humanity and guilt, desire, jealousy,love and acceptance....

Returned to a familiar ground with "The life aquatic with steve zissou" I immensely enjoy comedies in this format such as I did with "rushmore", the "royal tenenbaums" and tv shows like "the office" and more a more apt example, "arrested developement"

watched "Idiocracy" which was touted as hilarous by a movie critic that usually I find truthful in his observations...but not this time...it was satire yes...but with no class whatsoever...no bite...just blatant silliness...

P_R
16th September 2008, 10:41 AM
I watched Crime and Misdemeanors...and yes without expectations is delighted me....it was tongue-in-cheek funny at times and other times it was just a study of humanity and guilt, desire, jealousy,love and acceptance....

Q, have you seen Woody Allen's Match Point ?

Bloor Cinema on Bloor and Bathhurst used to show a lot of Woody Allen films. I managed to miss "Match Point", which is considered a near thematic repeat of Crimes and Misdemeanours.

Querida
16th September 2008, 10:49 AM

Q, have you seen Woody Allen's Match Point ?

Bloor Cinema on Bloor and Bathhurst used to show a lot of Woody Allen films. I managed to miss "Match Point", which is considered a near thematic repeat of Crimes and Misdemeanours.

Actually PR, Crime and Misd. is my first woody allen movie...

P_R
16th September 2008, 10:51 AM
Oh ! Welcome to the Wonder World then...

Querida
16th September 2008, 10:56 AM
Am thinking of watching his most acclaimed "Annie Hall" next...what would you recommend?

P_R
16th September 2008, 11:05 AM
Am thinking of watching his most acclaimed "Annie Hall" next...what would you recommend?

Annie Hall and Manhattan are my favourite Woody Allen films.

Try watching Manhattan in a cinema if possible. Manhattan in b/w is just lovely.

"Love and Death" is farcical, not as great as the other two but good in its own way.

Nerd
21st September 2008, 10:07 PM
Krzysztof Kieślowski's Dekalog (Part -1 )

:confused2: I did not get so many things in this episode.
1. Whats the significance of the Mother character?
2. Who is the dude sitting in that fireplace throughout the episode?
3. Is there a meaning to the long lecture he gives in the college?

But I was able to guess the theme. I am above all Gods (especially your computer). Even then there were these two things that niggled me.
1. The Aunt says Love is God (not Jesus :? )
2. The dad goes to the church in the end, not for praying though!

P_R
23rd September 2008, 08:35 AM
Persepolis. :clap:

Thanks for the recommendation Kannan and Thilak.

Being sad and funny at the same time, the movie is statement against tyranny and yet stops short of being sententious. Very well put.

P_R
24th September 2008, 11:45 AM
Fargo.

Finally, finally saw it.
Worth the wait :clap:
What a movie. Must check out these Coen brothers more.

kannannn
25th September 2008, 03:41 PM
Nerd, it's been sometime since I watched Commandment 1, but let me try to recall.

1. Whats the significance of the Mother character?
2. Who is the dude sitting in that fireplace throughout the episode?
3. Is there a meaning to the long lecture he gives in the college?
1. The mother? Hmm.. I am not sure, but I didn't think she held any special significance.
2. That's an interesting question. The guy is present in most episodes. There are many theories around on who he is and the most common is that he is an angel watching humans as they go through their myriad of emotions. My theory is, he represents time, bearing witness not to humans but to human events. Would be interesting to know your take :D
3. Watch the subsequent commandments and you would know :P

1. The Aunt says Love is God (not Jesus)
2. The dad goes to the church in the end, not for praying though!

1. I think the aunt is meeting the boy half-way. Perhaps presenting god in more accessible terms, given the boy's indoctrination? However, my reading is that the aunt herself is religious and presents a contrasting image to the father.
2. I think ending the movie with the father's prayer would have been abrupt and illogical. Rather, it should be viewed as his coming to terms with the reality that he was fighting a losing battle against an obscure entity. It is one thing to dismiss god, but to base all actions and decisions on the intent to disprove him could be dangerous. I view the character as such since he must have been subject to the same assertions the boy is subject to by his aunt and being in a minority drives you all the more to prove your point.

BTW, IMO Episode 1 is the weakest in the Decalogue.

Nerd
26th September 2008, 09:39 AM
2. I think ending the movie with the father's prayer would have been abrupt and illogical. Rather, it should be viewed as his coming to terms with the reality that he was fighting a losing battle against an obscure entity. It is one thing to dismiss god, but to base all actions and decisions on the intent to disprove him could be dangerous. I view the character as such since he must have been subject to the same assertions the boy is subject to by his aunt and being in a minority drives you all the more to prove your point.
This makes a lot of sense. The director was not taking sides and the father embracing theism would have killed the character. The movie would have become a normal one!

BTW, IMO Episode 1 is the weakest in the Decalogue.
Super! I won't say I hated Episode 1 but it wasnt as good as any of the movies in the colors trilogy.

Thanks a lot kannan, there was little or no help in IMDB Messageboards. Wiki wasn't kind either. :bow:

Will check out the *watching* dude in other episodes :P

P_R
26th September 2008, 07:29 PM
Duck Soup

First Groucho Marx film I have seen.

First of all, anyone who criticizes SVe Shekar plays for being a "thuNukku thOraNam" should just shut up.

Duck Soup is a bunch of gags and one-liners and heavy-groan puns strung together in a semblance of a plot. Sequences and gags exist for their own sake, like a schoolboy writer with bursts of cleverness.

But if you are thunukku-lover, this is the movie for you. Many places where I had to pause and laugh as Groucho was stacking up things as they go in his breathtaking pace.

But it was Chico Marx with his non-stop puns and what-the-hell absurdities, who stole the show IMO.

thilak4life
27th September 2008, 12:52 AM
a) The watching *dude* could represent anything in worldly or metaphysical form. Is he the random bystander who just happened to be around the characters, and hence happened to get into them at different points? He appears in different parts of the series.

In first episode, immediately following the scene where he keeps staring at the fire, the 'episode' only really begins with aunt's tears at the kid's video clip in tv news clip I think. Or if I'm not so wrong, we get back to him sitting across the fire again. The film actually ends with that video clip on television. So perhaps the bystander is brooding over the kid's episode? Possible.

He reappears in the episode 6 (on young man's voyeur-turned-love), and hence also in its extension as a film. In this though, he has a briefcase, and a coat cloak (or a doctor's kit I'm not sure, as the guy is on white overcoat resembling a doctor) who is on the move (from or to the apartment where the character lives), he is introduced at two seperate scenes. First time, the protagonist is pumped up, and happy, accidently falls into this watching *dude*, who returns a reluctant but thoughful smile. The second time, the protagonist is completely distressed and down, and the same bystander watches the protagonist enter the apartment crying.

SpoilerS: In fact, the protagonist goes on to commit suicide after this scene.

His presence in two different levels (and also 'pivotal' events) of emotion is interesting.

b) The father is not praying, it's just disappointed wail in the end. Btw as he shakes the altar, one of the candle falls over on top of the Mary's painting, the wax drips into Mary's cheeks resembling tears. This imagery is so powerful and made a good evangelical moment (that we come to expect from Kieslowski).

P_R
28th September 2008, 12:09 PM
The General - Buster Keaton

1927 !!!! :shock: :shock: :clap: :clap:

VENKIRAJA
28th September 2008, 12:15 PM
Recent Western movie? ;)
Re-visited 'The Good,the Bad and the Ugly'
Clint Eastwood :notworthy:
Ennio Morricone :redjump: :musicsmile:
Sergio Leone :thumbsup: :D

VENKIRAJA
28th September 2008, 12:18 PM
Fargo.

Finally, finally saw it.

I must be dumb. :roll:
p.m me..

P_R
29th September 2008, 12:56 PM
Batman Begins

Chris Nolan :clap:

Surely not as good as Dark Knight. But a reasonably good prequel nevertheless.

Very on the surface movie - perhaps I was expecting too much. Tom Wilkinson (Falcone) was interesting. The guy who played Dr.Crane was not. Michael Caine (Alfred) was excellent in a couple of scenes.

The seeriyas dialogues were good too. "In a town this bent, who'se there to rat to ?"

Plasaby: "Good news...we got him, son" :lol: :-(

The humour here and there was pretty good.The tramp outside the restaurant when Bruce gets kicked out: "should've tipped better" :lol:

A good prequel that announced the arrival of better things to come.

complicateur
29th September 2008, 09:26 PM
Eagle Eye: Generic Hollywood blockbuster. Excellent score and editing.

Encounters at the end of the world by Werner Herzog: One mans view of the people, places and events he witnesses at Antarctica. Words cannot do justice. Incredible images, interesting human beings (professional dreamers) and without doubt some of the most poetic lines ( the best description of hunger is a description of bread..) I have ever heard. Herzog narrates it in his monotone voice with a twinge of a German accent adding to the hilarity of some things he says.

ajithfederer
29th September 2008, 09:35 PM
Complicateur

Meeru US-lo unnaraa?>? :)

thamizhvaanan
29th September 2008, 09:54 PM
Batman Begins

Chris Nolan :clap:

Surely not as good as Dark Knight. But a reasonably good prequel nevertheless.

Very on the surface movie - perhaps I was expecting too much. Tom Wilkinson (Falcone) was interesting. The guy who played Dr.Crane was not. Michael Caine (Alfred) was excellent in a couple of scenes.

The seeriyas dialogues were good too. "In a town this bent, who'se there to rat to ?"

Plasaby: "Good news...we got him, son" :lol: :-(

The humour here and there was pretty good.The tramp outside the restaurant when Bruce gets kicked out: "should've tipped better" :lol:

A good prequel that announced the arrival of better things to come.

Cool.. even I saw the film just recently and I loved it. I was earlier put off by my friends telling that this film is a bore with lot of dialogues and not much action. Didnt know that they were expecting a Michael Bay film.. the dialogues were too much fun :2thumbsup: and the action scenes were very good too.

But I have not yet seen Dark knight. Actually I watched Batman begins to prepare myself for watching Dark knight.. but apparently my preparation took too much time and by the time I was done with part I, part II was out of theatres... now how long should I wait :cry2:

complicateur
29th September 2008, 09:58 PM
>> Start Dig
Complicateur

Meeru US-lo unnaraa?>? :) Yes-andi. I west coast-lo unnaaru. Meeru philadelphie-lo unnara?

ajithfederer
29th September 2008, 09:59 PM
Dig start// Ounandi :)
end dig //

>> Start Dig
Complicateur

Meeru US-lo unnaraa?>? :) Yes-andi. I west coast-lo unnaaru. Meeru philadelphie-lo unnara?

thamizhvaanan
29th September 2008, 10:00 PM
Fargo.

Finally, finally saw it.

I must be dumb. :roll:
p.m me..

I remember seeing the film but dont remember remembering any part of it... is it good? did i miss something :roll: Or may be I am also like those characters in that film :ashamed:

littlemaster1982
29th September 2008, 11:30 PM
Cool.. even I saw the film just recently and I loved it. I was earlier put off by my friends telling that this film is a bore with lot of dialogues and not much action. Didnt know that they were expecting a Michael Bay film..

:lol: :lol:

P_R
6th October 2008, 09:12 AM
Duel
Steven Spielberg. (Debut ?)
A very well made, engrossing film. A truck - a car and a duel on the highway. A sort of character study of the protagonist - and if one labours - the concept of confronting/escaping/solving dangerous problems. Choices in life and all that. Spielberg !! Really !!

Could have done without the voice-overs I felt.

Surely worth a watch :clap:

ajithfederer
6th October 2008, 10:39 AM
I have heard a friend of me rave about the film. PR, where did u come across this film?

P_R
6th October 2008, 11:04 AM
I have heard a friend of me rave about the film. PR, where did u come across this film?
torrent dhaan.
I have been hearing about it on and off. Finally saw it. A simple but well made film.

complicateur
6th October 2008, 08:59 PM
Portions of Rififi. Very in depth look of the workings of a heist. But you definitely need a time/technology handicap though.

P_R
7th October 2008, 12:13 AM
Chaplin's The Gold Rush

What a profound influence this man is on Kamal !!

Too tired to write more now :wave:

VENKIRAJA
8th October 2008, 07:10 PM
Oldboy-Korean.
Must watch.Such a powerful theme and the way the creator has reciprocated it.Wah!Delightful experience. :P

rangan_08
10th October 2008, 12:53 PM
No Country for Old Men.

It's been discussed here in detail, so many times, so I'm just writing what I felt after watching it . A very neat thriller with great locations & good performances. IMO, the brothers could have made more use of music (most of the important & thrilling scenes are done without music & is still very captivating ).

Two scens worked for me very well even with very less music. First scene is when the dog chases Josh and finally gets shot - a terrific scene. Next one is when Javier, after being shot in the leg, indulges in self medication - I was just holding my breath in that scene. Even in Fargo, they have employed very little music - maybe, that's the " brother's style " !

Nerd
12th October 2008, 10:50 AM
Rangan sir, the coens did not use any kind of music, in any scenes but it still was an aural treat!

Watched the grave of the fireflies. First taste of animation. A poignant, heart-wrenching film. I always thought that animation is for kids, but this movie is certainly NOT for kids. Liked it very much looking forward to the next animation watching experience :)

VENKIRAJA
13th October 2008, 04:36 PM
Watched the grave of the fireflies. First taste of animation. A poignant, heart-wrenching film. I always thought that animation is for kids, but this movie is certainly NOT for kids. Liked it very much looking forward to the next animation watching experience :)

A war movie-without warriors,
A tragedy which turns a happy-ending,
An animation movie not for kids,
A movie which never ends.

complicateur
14th October 2008, 10:55 PM
Bill Maher's Religulous - Documentary for atheists/rationalists. Edited for effect and Humor. The last few minutes suddenly shifted tone to exude a certain gravitas - seemed rather abrupt, but it did achieve the intended effect to a certain extent.

Sinthiya
15th October 2008, 09:09 AM
Beyond Borders, yet again...:thumbsup:...Clive Owen 8-)...

P_R
15th October 2008, 11:51 AM
What Happens in Vegas :-|
Bore....stay away

rangan_08
16th October 2008, 05:51 PM
SEVEN SAMURAI (without subtitle) :clap:

A visual treat in the b&w era. I liked the fight sequences which was so meticulously choreographed & beautifully shot. Particularly the climax stunt was just extra-ordinary.

The running time is quite long when compared to Roshomon but still it keeps you engrossed throughout.

And, this Miffune guy was just terrific. His clownish & at times, animal like actions with those short growls in between his speech was a treat.

In one of the scenes, he would address a visibly dejected crowd in order to cheer them up, with a log & another piece of wood in his hand. Just in between the speech he would tap the wood on the log & make a sound. I was bowled by his performance & it somehow reminded me of Nana's famous speech scene in Krantiveer.

Overall, it was a great watching experience for me.

Sinthiya
20th October 2008, 07:02 AM
Closer...another movie with Clive Owen - gonna try to watch 'Inside Man' this week :P....
(something about his 5'clock shadow 8-)...)

P_R
20th October 2008, 03:31 PM
Closer had great great lines - including the tagline :P

One memorable line was when Clive Owen bursts out at Julia Roberts when she says she is leaving him. Something like

CO: Don't you dare say that 'I deserve someone better'....I know I do...but you don't dare say it

complicateur
26th October 2008, 01:54 AM
Just saw Louis Malle's Le Souffle au coeur (A Murmur of the heart). A very oedipal coming of age tale and coincidental considering the discussion in the miscellaneous topics forum. What would be considered deviant behavior is presented in a matter of fact manner. It is hard to resent any of the characters as the director presents them with such sympathy. Equal parts funny and poignant, the shocking nature of the relationships seem as though they are the natural order of things. Quite brilliant the way the extremely sensitive material has been handled.

podalangai
26th October 2008, 02:32 AM
SEVEN SAMURAI (without subtitle) :clap:

A visual treat in the b&w era. I liked the fight sequences which was so meticulously choreographed & beautifully shot. Particularly the climax stunt was just extra-ordinary.

The running time is quite long when compared to Roshomon but still it keeps you engrossed throughout.

And, this Miffune guy was just terrific. His clownish & at times, animal like actions with those short growls in between his speech was a treat.

In one of the scenes, he would address a visibly dejected crowd in order to cheer them up, with a log & another piece of wood in his hand. Just in between the speech he would tap the wood on the log & make a sound. I was bowled by his performance & it somehow reminded me of Nana's famous speech scene in Krantiveer.

Overall, it was a great watching experience for me.

It really is a brilliant movie. Slightly off-topic, but those of you who like Kikuchiyo in that movie may like the book "The Last Samurai" by Helen DeWit (watch out, though - there's another book and a movie by the same title). The movie crops up repeatedly in the book, and the scene with the fake birth certificate is quite significant.

P_R
3rd November 2008, 08:13 PM
My Sassy Girl

oru vazhiyA paarththAchchuppA !

Regular rom-com. Funny, then draggy and sappy. Liked the final twist. Quite workable, they had mentioned it many times. Somehow I really didn't expect it. Hence I liked it.

.....oru thadavai paarkkalAm :P

thamizh-la edukka mAttAnga, adhil sila pala kalAchAra sikkaLgaL uNdu. Korean-layE paathudunga. thappi thavaRi thamizh-la eduththa thittaradhukku vasadhiyA irukkum.

VENKIRAJA
3rd November 2008, 08:30 PM
Classic is miles ahead of this movie(also korean). LM recommended me this flick. I actually was bored of the climax twist. Classic's twist was better, moving and is a typical romance-lover's choice IMO. :)

littlemaster1982
3rd November 2008, 08:31 PM
I liked Sassy Girl more than Classic. Classic is way too melodramatic for me.

ajithfederer
3rd November 2008, 09:00 PM
hehehe. :P

My Sassy Girl

Regular rom-com. Funny, then draggy and sappy. Liked the final twist. Quite workable, they had mentioned it many times. Somehow I really didn't expect it. Hence I liked it.

.....oru thadavai paarkkalAm :P

thamizh-la edukka mAttAnga, adhil sila pala kalAchAra sikkaLgaL uNdu. Korean-layE paathudunga. thappi thavaRi thamizh-la eduththa thittaradhukku vasadhiyA irukkum.

VENKIRAJA
3rd November 2008, 09:31 PM
I liked Sassy Girl more than Classic. Classic is way too melodramatic for me.

machan... vizhunthudAtheenga :lol:
kOvichikAtheenga... J/K

great
9th November 2008, 10:26 PM
My Sassy Girl

pirated copy vazgha-va :D

crajkumar_be
9th November 2008, 10:59 PM
I've watched only Ant Bully and Ratatouille (and enjoyed both) till now... Srekku, matrum sila hubbers rekamandesan note panni vechirukken..

thamizhvaanan
10th November 2008, 11:08 AM

great
10th November 2008, 09:41 PM
Color triology is being screened in Allaince Francis.

Time 6.30 pm

Date 10 (bleu) , 11th (white) and finally red on 12th

bad that i could not watch this movie , due to timing and distance.

Entry free.

Nerd
10th November 2008, 09:51 PM

TV'nA, I watched some ten minutes of cars a year back. I was not all that impressed or I must say I was not interested. My nephews and nieces (all < 6) always rave about animation flicks. And my colleagues here tell me that they take kids only to animation flicks. So there :P

P_R
10th November 2008, 10:55 PM
Color triology is being screened in Allaince Francis.

Time 6.30 pm

Date 10 (bleu) , 11th (white) and finally red on 12th

bad that i could not watch this movie , due to timing and distance.

Entry free.

:sigh2: adhellAm oru kaalAm. When I used to own my time.

Who are the non-student, non-retiree fellows who go for these things in weekdays.

cuty2sweety
11th November 2008, 03:55 AM
House of Sand and Fog :notworthy: :notworthy:
Ben Kingsley :clap: :clap:

bingleguy
11th November 2008, 04:13 AM
The Da Vinci Code !

crajkumar_be
11th November 2008, 04:29 PM

Who are the non-student, non-retiree fellows who go for these things in weekdays.
No movie-watching in the near furture apart from "inga konjam, anga konjam" types... indha madhiri threads la appappa yetti pakka vendiyadhu dhaan

P_R
11th November 2008, 08:13 PM
No movie-watching in the near furture apart from "inga konjam, anga konjam" types... indha madhiri threads la appappa yetti pakka vendiyadhu dhaan :confused2: EdhAvadhu vENdudhalA

crajkumar_be
11th November 2008, 08:35 PM
kuzhandhai etc...
[Thilak-oda movie database/godown la munnadiye thundu pottu vechutten, in any case]

P_R
11th November 2008, 10:23 PM
kuzhandhai etc...
[Thilak-oda movie database/godown la munnadiye thundu pottu vechutten, in any case]
adhai paaththu mudikkiradhukkuLLa kuzhandhai +2 mudichchirum :-)

great
11th November 2008, 10:33 PM

yeah atleast they could have screened it from friday.

great
11th November 2008, 10:41 PM
kuzhandhai etc...
[]

congrats!

ajithfederer
13th November 2008, 08:24 AM
The Game Plan :D

ajithfederer
14th November 2008, 11:13 AM
Superbad :rotfl:

kannannn
14th November 2008, 11:08 PM
Casino Royale - Idha paarthadhaan adhu puriyumnu sonnava.. Better than many Bond movies, but since I have always viewed Bond movies as substanceless, it was difficult to relate to the character. Daniel Craig's performance was quite good though. Thambi nalla pannirukkapla.. Hmm.. Still don't know if I should go for QoS.

crajkumar_be
14th November 2008, 11:12 PM
Casino Royale - Idha paarthadhaan adhu puriyumnu sonnava.. Better than many Bond movies, but since I have always viewed Bond movies as substanceless, it was difficult to relate to the character. Daniel Craig's performance was quite good though. Thambi nalla pannirukkapla.. Hmm.. Still don't know if I should go for QoS.
yen indha kola veri.. oru bond padame too much.. QOS pakkanum nu CR paathadhu, this three much!

kannannn
14th November 2008, 11:16 PM
:lol: Office'la projector'la pottu kaamichaanga. Adhaan. Mob mentality maadhiri aayiduchi.

thilak4life
15th November 2008, 12:34 AM
:lol: Office'la projector'la pottu kaamichaanga. Adhaan. Mob mentality maadhiri aayiduchi.

idhu alava office. Naanum porEn.. :twisted:

thilak4life
15th November 2008, 12:35 AM
CR,

you'll be surprised by CR. If you hate Bond movies, you'll like CR better. :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
15th November 2008, 12:39 AM
:exactly:

CR,

you'll be surprised by CR. If you hate Bond movies, you'll like CR better. :thumbsup:

crajkumar_be
15th November 2008, 12:55 AM
CR,

.Actually i watched it in Sathyam... ponnu veettu side-lerndhu yarayo kootitu poga vendiya chituation (a few days before marriage)...

thilak4life
15th November 2008, 12:57 AM
CR,

.Actually i watched it in Sathyam... ponnu veettu side-lerndhu yarayo kootitu poga vendiya chituation (a few days before marriage)...

Did you like it or not? :D

crajkumar_be
15th November 2008, 01:00 AM
Not worstu, but it was not a pleasant experience.. mind block...

crajkumar_be
15th November 2008, 01:03 AM
//Dig - Balaji, nandri hai...

thilak4life
15th November 2008, 01:22 AM
Not worstu, but it was not a pleasant experience.. mind block...

Maybe it's the Satyam atmosphere (traffic on the way, air-conditioning inside, crowd :P , etc). :devil:

Do you like the Bourne series? Adhu pudikalana indha madhiri endha padammum ungalukku pudikadhu. :)

Sid_316
15th November 2008, 01:24 AM
Watched tropic thunder,Pineapple Express nalla time pass both filmsum :thumbsup: :D

thilak4life
15th November 2008, 01:28 AM
Got Tropic thunder, and Burn after reading on the pending list.

Querida
15th November 2008, 01:33 AM
I watched "Role Models"... :lol:

and "Broken Flowers" ....interistin...interistin....

great
15th November 2008, 06:17 PM
Q, which one is interesting Broken Flowers or both ?

Querida
16th November 2008, 08:51 AM
Q, which one is interesting Broken Flowers or both ?

Great...Role Models is just a comedy...that I actually found funny...as in I laughed out loud...and thank goodness was with the loud laffers in the theatre...

Broken Flowers is the one that is interesting...quite different...taken from the "things cannot always go as expected just because it's a movie"...quite liked it...if you can like movies that don't have a proper ending or strong feeling of catharsis :)
something along the lines of how "no country for old men" ended up as...unexpected...

crajkumar_be
17th November 2008, 10:49 AM
Do you like the Bourne series? Adhu pudikalana indha madhiri endha padammum ungalukku pudikadhu. :)
Never watched one. Oru thadava flight la pakka arambichen (Supremacy nu nenakkaren), audio kolaru and couldnt watch...

Anyway, Bond films are not for me. asingam!

ajaybaskar
18th November 2008, 06:55 PM
Got a dvd of "penelope'. guys, pl give me the feedback on this movie. only then i shud decide whether to watch it or not.

Querida
18th November 2008, 09:50 PM
Watched "American Splendour" a different kind of movie in that it mixes biography with fiction, animation with film character as well as having the real character playing an active role in the movie as well. It's about a man named Harvey Pekar who writes a comic book based on incidents in his life and the movie portrays what his life was while writing those comic strips...one of those play-within-a-play concepts...

complicateur
19th November 2008, 01:29 PM
Just watched Claude Berri's Jean de Florette. Such gripping sadness. Gerard Depardieu is brilliant as the titular hunchback who descends from cheerful optimism to deranged hopefulness as the fertile land he inherits just crumbles under an extended drought in Provence. But the drought is created by his neighbours, Cesar Soubeyron and his lackey nephew: farmers who covet his land to plant carnations that would augment their income. Just incredibly sad this movie.
A throwaway dialog that I found very poignant. Ugolin, the farmhand nephew, is having a crisis of conscience on seeing Jean's suffering. So Cesar says to him "Fool. do you want friends or flowers?". Brought a rather wan smile to my face.

Dilbert
20th November 2008, 11:15 PM
Never watched one. Oru thadava flight la pakka arambichen (Supremacy nu nenakkaren), audio kolaru and couldnt watch...

EKBI :cry: you don't like them ok ! but Asingam ?

ajithfederer
21st November 2008, 03:26 AM
Seven :)

Querida
21st November 2008, 06:23 AM
I just got seven...but have yet to watch it...

I watched C.R.A.Z.Y the soundtrack is one I will check out for sure..especially the one song the father sings each xmas...the story is to convince watchers that homosexuality is a thing that cannot be changed...and how hard this one boy does try...quite hard to watch but well had loving touches...especially the mother character....

Nerd
21st November 2008, 10:01 AM
C.R.A.Z.Y's soundtrack has Shine on you crazy diamond (Pink Floyd). Reason enough to watch it and I liked the film.

Watched Dekalog 2. Good one. Could not understand a few symbolisms and initially I thought it was about adultery. Later came to know its on the third commandment (You shall not use God's name for trivial issues or something like that.)

Querida
22nd November 2008, 02:11 AM
Watched Seven

Had two of my most fave actors Morgan Freeman (mr. carries the weight of world on his shoulders) and surprisingly Kevin Spacey. Spacy always could give off that creepy, sinister vibe...but well Pitt's wrath wasn't all that convincing...and the ending was predictable..as in Spacey being envy and Pitt being wrath. Though I was surprised at how much work went into those photographs and notebooks...i wasn't surprised in the special features section when the photographer and the creators of the notebooks sounded a bit miffed at their work not being fully used...sooo much impressive work went into just those two props to the plot.
I'll also admit to that little inward delightful recognition of the texts they used...:P :lol:/ :| @ Coles Notes turning up though...

crajkumar_be
22nd November 2008, 02:43 AM

Pokkiri la vadivel solra madhiri "enakku sollikitten" :razz:

Dilbert
22nd November 2008, 07:16 AM

Pokkiri la vadivel solra madhiri "enakku sollikitten" :razz:

:oops: :lol:

Nerd
23rd November 2008, 02:08 PM
My Sassy girl - Liked it. Havent seen a romantic comedy for a long time, that might also be a reason. The lead actors were brilliant. Genelia should probably take acting lessons from the girl. I thought the scripts the girl wrote were pointless but the director brilliantly connected those with the *future*. I was touched :oops: And the twist has happened so many times in so many movies and I knew for sure the Aunty would have a role to play at some point, but I could not guess it. Probably I am the last from the hub to watch it! Btw, padathula no kissings and they call it a rom-com :twisted:

ajithfederer
24th November 2008, 03:29 AM
Juno :lol:

Ellen Page :clap:

Querida
24th November 2008, 05:56 AM
Juno's was a chance of pace that I enjoyed :)

I watched "Kancheevaram" yesterday...was glad to have watched it because I have yet to join in catching flicks during the toronto film festival...Prakash Raj has yet to let me down...from when I first recognized him as Gururangan in Kai Azhavu Manasu to last week where I watched the mediocre "Pandhayam"...I enjoyed his portrayal of a man who means well but is not perfect nor is he selfless..a man blinded..a traitor, a thief...yet still endearing. The cinematography is also worth mention...the picking out of vibrant colours among a dullish background...beautiful :)

complicateur
25th November 2008, 12:07 AM
A busy weekend of move watching.
1. Slumdog Millionaire - Already reviewed elsewhere, so I wont repeat myself. Worth a watch definitely.
2. Rachel Getting Married - What happens when a recovering addict returns to her dysfunctional family, just as her older sister is getting married? The events that transpire are shot in a documentary format giving the movie the feel of an extended wedding video. Features some lovely music and real performances from everyone.
3. Vicky Christina Barcelona - While Rebecca Hall (Last time I saw her was in The Prestige and Starter for 10) & Scarlett Johansson play the titular roles, it is Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz who light up the screen in this Woody Allen indictment of monogamy. The events are prevented with a flippancy that is quintessentially Allen (strangely he does not make a physical appearnce in the movie, not even as the all-seeing all-knowing voice-over, but his stamp is all over this film) but the poignancy of situations and sadness that comes with a self-imposed social construct is clearly evident.

All in all what I would call a pointlessly productive weekend :) .

thilak4life
25th November 2008, 12:33 AM
I had a Woody Allen weekend celebration.

a) Manhattan
b) Husband and wives
c) Deconstructing Harry.

selvakumar
26th November 2008, 10:44 AM
Bringing out the dead :clap:
Nicholas cage :clap: :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
26th November 2008, 10:52 AM
Death Race..

Superb action movie..Dont miss it!!

Thalafanz
26th November 2008, 10:57 AM
Death Race..

Yeah, this one is superb. 8-)
The original version is pathetic (ippO pakkurathukku :P ).

salaam_chennai
26th November 2008, 10:58 AM
I had a Woody Allen weekend celebration.

a) Manhattan
b) Husband and wives
c) Deconstructing Harry.

Thilak, Manhattan and Annie Hal is in my HDD for a while. How was Manhattan?

ajaybaskar
26th November 2008, 11:09 AM
Death Race..

Is there a original version too??? :shock:

Thalafanz
26th November 2008, 11:26 AM
Death Race..

Is there a original version too??? :shock:

Yes, released in 80's (if I'm correct). Don't try to watch it. Romba kaamedy-A irukkum. :)