PDA

View Full Version : THIS IS CHENNAI AFTER ALL !!

chevy
14th October 2006, 10:47 AM
http://www.geocities.com/haiseenu2000/Blogspot/Age_Old_Chennai/Central_Railway_Station_1925.jpg

hi every1

Due to lack of time i may not be able to follow up the story on a daily basis. I'll try to follow up weekly or fortnightly.
Also if you feel there are any mistakes please do PM me about it ...

NOTE :
1)This is purely a work of fiction
2)All similarities to persons living or dead, locales and incidents are used fictitiously and any coincidences are by chance and are not intended.
3)All words used to describe a particular place(eg:kinshasa,chennai) or character( eg: teachers) or any other views or descriptions, are to reflect the opinion of the character who is narrating the story (Lalli) or whichever character concerned and not that of the author

hoping to get ur valuable feedback n suggestions

cheers!
chevy

chevy
14th October 2006, 10:50 AM
[tscii:28a8ddf735] THIS IS CHENNAI AFTER ALL

"Hey.....Back to your places............................... It’s Shailaja, people!”

Mrs. Shailaja is a terror for most of the students at our college.
Her class is the most silent and inactive class. Of course we had to answer her questions, which we feverishly did. We couldn’t yawn, drink water or lean on the back rest of the chair. Then why the hell did the chair have one, anyway?

This isn’t the only scrape for us. As first year college students, we faced many more quandaries in this hell of an institution. Let me tell you first, about the recently held oratorical competitions. Coming from the African country of Congo, the Indian culture amuses me in many ways than one. Now, now, people, don’t think I am some tribal pygmy or Bantu from Congo. My mother is from India and my father is African-American. So I am, a little Indian, a little American but mostly African. I grew up in Africa for most of my childhood. I was born and lived for the first two years of my life in Ohio. Then it’s always been Congo, till Mom suddenly decided to send me to her parents for higher education. I had hoped to go to the Americas for high school and someday be able to live the carefree American life. I had never imagined that Mom would come up with this idea all of a sudden. According to Mom, India is the best place for education and Bangalore is the best place for me to live. It is beautiful and has an amazing climate. It symbolizes a typical Indian Metropolitan city. Mom told me a lot about this Indian City and how it feels like to live there. Before long, I had been relocated to Bangalore. Though I was skeptical about living with my grandparents in the beginning, it turned out to be two years of great fun. I’d never enjoyed so much in my life before. We were eight to ten of us and we hung out on the streets of Bangalore almost every day. Though I had fun , Somehow I still feel as though I am in India on a very long vacation. Since I relocated myself to India, I’ve been to Congo just once. Not that I didn’t want to go. Going through the customs formalities in the Kinshasa airport will be one’s most irritating experience in life. Instead of trying to get through the gauntlet of officials, it’s better not to visit the country. I really wanted to go to Congo last year, especially because my parents considered resigning their jobs there and migrating to some other place. I hoped to get into some good college in Bangalore itself but some quacks suggested that I be sent to Chennai for college. And that’s why, I am here now grumbling and whining about every little thing.

So let’s get back to the oratorical competitions. It is this fun-type of extempore competition called Jam or Just a minute. We never had something like this in my old school in Kinshasa and I’d never tried it in Bangalore. So, being a first time jammer, I was nervous like I’d never been before. A pumpkin shaped guy was the judge. The first and second round went on without any hurdles. At least I didn’t notice any. During the third round, I noticed that Pumpkin was more involved with his mobile phone than with the competition. At the end of the third round, Pumpkin had three minutes to pick out the finalists. As I sat with all my fingers crossed, I got a clean picture of what was actually happening. Pumpkin was troubled with messages from a scrawny little girl sitting at the back. Scrawny waved her hand in the air and Pumpkin cast glances to her side. Scrawny pointed towards her mobile and Pumpkin immediately put his hand into his baggy pocket and fished out his. And then what exactly happened I have no clue. But the next day, there was Scrawny with us as finalists. And, did I tell you, Scrawny was the worst jammer in the semi finals. I don’t think Pumpkin and Scrawny look nice together and I don’t the chemistry behind this, but there was something immoral, off beam...

The only class I enjoy in this College is French. It reminds me of my old school, Kinshasa and my old pals. Kinshasa is home for me. Not that it is a very peaceful place, actually. In fact, I don’t even have to guts to invite my Indian friends to Kinshasa.

One friend of mine here, Sandipa is actually someone called “NRI”. Non Resident Indian. Her parents work in the Americas and she’s born and brought up there. She too has just come to Chennai for education. It is the unawareness of the local culture that binds us. You’ll be thinking that I stick to her because of my American dream. And that is not untrue. Sandipa is this is rich, elegant type of girl. Not the freak out fashion I had presumed she would have, since she came from America. Once, I mentioned to her that I was born in Ohio. I don’t think she heard it or interested in knowing about place of Birth. I even have an American Passport. My mother has an Indian Passport and my father has American. Now, you’ll ask me where African fits in, right? Dad’s mom is American and his father is African. Mom is a typical south Indian. It is just that we lived in Congo for so many years because Dad taught in the American school there. Mom loves her work there as a nurse. Both my parents work for pleasure more than money. Often they offer their services free of cost and that leaves us hand to mouth at times. But in the last few years, Congo has improved and my parents get paid well on time. But my grandparents never risked coming to Congo.

In Kinshasa, I lived in the better and cleaner part of the city. Our neighbors were educated and lived in houses made of brick and cement. Yeah, of course, all houses are made of brick and cement. That’s what you’ll think if you are not a Congolese. In Kinshasa, it’s still something not many people have. Though I am not Congolese by birth, I am much like one. All my friends were Congolese. This is rare because, not many Americans allow their children with the locals. My dad, however, blended with the Congolese so well, he even spoke Lingala and Swahili.
Chennai is actually neat. Bangalore was a little neater and had an amazing climate. But compared to Kinshasa, Chennai is really neat. I don’t understand why my friends talk about corruption in India. I guess they should visit Congo and then decide if they can talk about it. Congo is actually vibrant and exciting. People struggling to live happily in a structure-less society. My Mom’s parents are typically south Indian and pure Vegetarians. Mom never cooked non-Vegetarian food and you might find it unbelievable that she is still a pure vegetarian, even after so many years in Congo. I never knew so many dishes could be made out veggies till I came here. In Kinshasa, our cook made delicious Shani, wild mushrooms and bread made from cassava paste. Shani are slightly fried caterpillars, taste something like raw hot dogs. We never went to a “market” to buy fruits and veggies. We just plucked them from our garden and shared it with our neighbors. I am used jumping over fences and plucking mangoes and avocadoes from the neighbors’ garden. Mom would compensate them later with the peppers and yams from ours. My parents have often told me about the “Indian Hospitality” which I guess I haven’t still discovered in the last two years of my stay in India. In Kinshasa , If you need milk or eggs, someone will literally run to the store buy some, and deliver them to you. If you want your garden maintained, someone will come dependably for $5 a day, cut the grass, plant tomatoes and peppers, pick the fruit when it’s ripe, sometimes even make a chicken dish, and serve it hot when it comes out of the oven. All this done wholeheartedly with a smile. I really don’t know what to say about Indian hospitality. Of course my Patti ( that’s how I call my maternal grandmother) taught me to say the customary “Vanga” or welcome in tamil, and other formalities, I still find that people here think twice before they talk and thrice before they spend. Or probably it’s just that I’ve met only the stingier section of the society.

The first semester in this college goes in all sorts of competitions in different forms of dance, music, writing, art and oratorical competitions. I decided to plunge myself into every opportunity that came in my way. Though I lost in Jam, I consoled myself saying it was particularly because something fishy was going on. I flopped royally in the music competitions. I always thought Congolese music is historically well known. Especially, now many local bands have re-emerged, perform in the Middle Eastern countries and local five-star hotels. I invited some of my friends to team up with me and everyone, except a submissive and stupid girl Arti, disagreed to perform with me. We sung two songs in Lingala in Afro-rhythmic beats. Half way through the singing, I felt as though I was back in Kinshasa. I got up and began to sway myself to the music like we did in Congo. At the end of it, I felt absolutely proud of myself and Arti, totally embarrassed.

[ to be continued] [/tscii:28a8ddf735]

crazy
14th October 2006, 01:47 PM
chevy..............very intresting......... :thumbsup:

I like the way u describe Congo :D

oh included image....................chennai :roll: :D

Lambretta
14th October 2006, 06:02 PM

Hm......wud've been better to post a front-view image of Central Station...:)

crazy
14th October 2006, 06:05 PM

Hm......wud've been better to post a front-view image of Central Station...:)

yeah............ :)

(I hate chennai............)

chevy
14th October 2006, 08:28 PM
yes ..lamby .. i ve posted an old pic of chennai central station.. .and did ya read the story .. comments ?

chevy
14th October 2006, 10:37 PM
( note : here comes the next two parts: jus wanted to tell that i may nt b updatin my story this often ....i ll b posting once or twice a week or mayb jus once in a fortnite not to sure... but i had already time since i had already written it earlier it's out so soon. )

please do comment about it ..

cheers !
chevy

chevy
14th October 2006, 10:39 PM
[tscii:cd8f0844c7]

Shailaja’s classes go on as usual. In fact, she is this over enthusiastic lecturer who loved conducting extra classes, special classes and many other stupid classes, which none of us felt the need to attend. There is no point being in her class. Seriously, we are half the time conscious of what this fiend is thinking about our posture or where her menacing eyes are stealing glances at that we barely listen to the lecture. Thank heavens, she is not the type of lecturer who conducts oral tests or we’ll all be dead in class.

The college is right behind a popular mall, called Kences in the city. On the first day of college Shailaja had lectured for one hour regarding the consequences if a student was found in the mall during college hours.

After three months of college, my college-mates went to extent of passing abusive messages. We had nicknamed all the lecturers and imitated them in their absence. Preethi , a girl in my class, sends such humorous messages, that most of us look up to her as thought she is some Imperial lord. Once in the middle of Shailaja’s class my phone vibrated.

Message received from Preethi:
We had many options.
Poison.
Kerosene.
Sleeping tablets.
Hanging.
Slashing our wrists.
Starving to death.
Dying of thirst.
Falling from a cliff.
Falling from the balcony.
Lying on the railway track.
Banging on a moving car.
Jumping from the bus....
But we chose:

Vishnu college !

[ to be continued ][/tscii:cd8f0844c7]

chevy
14th October 2006, 10:43 PM
[tscii:df145f8b9a]3

Though we hated college to the core , we had little fun.
One of the many things I love in Chennai is speaking in Tamil. In Bangalore I had never bothered to learn Kannada as most of my friends conversed only in English. In Chennai, even the north Indians settled here speak in Tamil.
It’s funny and I’ve never picked up any other language this fast.

Besides Shailaja there are other lecturers who make our lives miserable. One is Mrs.Shreya. She tops the list when it comes to nagging and being moody. One day she’ll treat you like you are her favorite student. The next day she’ll scream like you are the biggest pain in her neck.

A typical Shailaja lecture would sound exactly like this:

“Girls!! I am very sorry to tell you. All of you are very unprofessional. ( Podi goyya. Ni mattum ena ? ).
Our college is not like other colleges ( Yeah. We are the worst !! ). We work after hours and very often on weekends. ( yenga Uyira vangurathukey teachera poranthiya? )
.Whether I come or not , some teacher will come and you will have special class.( So the priority is not to teach us something. It is to keep us in this jail till two o’clock. ) i ve never come across a batch like this. I was appointed in this college even before the first peon was. I don’t have to prove my excellence to anyone. Yesterday, after college got over, none of you waited to ask me if I wanted to conduct extra classes. All of you walked away at the stroke of one. (college hours are not enough, is it ? You are so inefficient that you need extra ones. Obviously if you blabber so much in class, you’ll never finish the portion.)......”

If you clean the Department Staff room , Mrs. Shreya will come up to you and say, “ Hey come in. What happened , kanna ?”

If you don’t , she’ll shout at you exactly like how Shailaja had in her last outburst of anger.
“Aiswarya, is this absolutely unacceptable. You are very unprofessional. You body language is not good. (Look who is talking, Minnie mouse.) I didn’t expect you to be like this.... ”

(Podi dubuku. Crazy mouse-sized copy cat. Can’t shout to a student with her own words. Wait. Our time will come.)

[ to be continued][/tscii:df145f8b9a]

Surya
14th October 2006, 11:56 PM
Chevy! :D

NICE!!!! 8-) :D :D :D :thumbsup: really becoming ur fan!! :D :D

madhu
15th October 2006, 08:29 AM
:P

mm.. true story ? :roll:

ramky
15th October 2006, 08:44 AM
chevy : your command over English is good and u hv a nice, casual style of narration :). and your description of lecturers is :lol:.

on the whole your story is :thumbsup:
seekram update paNNupa :D.

chevy
15th October 2006, 03:04 PM
[tscii:9b4aef6391]4

September is half over. Just another month and half and I got to sit for the Common Proficiency Test. In the CA institute, we have fun in our own ways. The lecturers at the Insti don’t really care whether we listen or not. It’s a professional institute. You got to be mature enough to listen and prepare if you want to pass. That’s the attitude. After an exhausting day at college , I come to the insti totally fatigued , keep the study material on my lap, pretend to be reading and fall asleep. In the beginning my enthusiasm to become a chartered accountant made me sit in the first row, made friends there and our gang always sat in the front row. Unlike the usual first bench nerdy lot, we are the crooks who sit on the first row and do everything other than listen. Initially there was not much of an interaction between the students. People came for the lecture and left just like that. Neither “hi” nor “bye”. I assumed they wouldn’t notice, nor care even if they did notice the first row sleepers. The tables were arranged in such a way that in the middle a partition was left that permitted the lecturers to walk up and down the aisle. The guys sat on one side and the girls on the other.

The very first day, I made a late entry. I walked into the hall of more than a hundred students and went and sat on the first row. Every face in the hall turned back to see the bold kid coming for the class late and then, walking down the aisle and sitting in the first row like a big time academic geek!

“Students, Please refer the notice board outside if you want to know which lecturer will be coming for a particular day and for which subject. Each lecture is two hours and two lectures each day.”!!

What??????????????
Two hours for a lecture???
Two lectures per day?????
I felt like someone had just slapped me across my face.

[to be continued][/tscii:9b4aef6391]

crazy
15th October 2006, 05:18 PM
preethi's message................... :lol: :rotfl:

Mystic
15th October 2006, 08:56 PM
[tscii:39b3befeeb]
“Girls!! I am very sorry to tell you. All of you are very unprofessional. ( Podi goyya. Ni mattum ena ? ).
Our college is not like other colleges ( Yeah. We are the worst !! ). We work after hours and very often on weekends. ( yenga Uyira vangurathukey teachera poranthiya? )
(Podi dubuku. Crazy mouse-sized copy cat. Can’t shout to a student with her own words. Wait. Our time will come.)

chevy :rotfl: great going :D[/tscii:39b3befeeb]

Lambretta
16th October 2006, 11:26 AM
yes ..lamby .. i ve posted an old pic of chennai central station.. .and did ya read the story .. comments ?
Tats an old pic.?? :? Hmm....oh, well nvr mind! :)
Oh yea, altho jus had to read faster than I normally do, as I'm in a net cafe'! :(
This part esp. is hilarious! :lol: :rotfl:

....It is to keep us in this jail till two o’clock. )
2 o'clock huh?? Wow, tats like lucky! :shock: I've known of colleges (private ones atleast) here in AP tat go upto 5-6pm! :oops:
Or is this sum kinda govt. college viz. Stella Maris? :wink: :P

....I was appointed in this college even before the first peon was.
I'd hav been tempted to retort to this- aha....appidina peon vaele ellam kuda munne un keyile senji vekavaala? :P :lol:

'k gta run now.....lookin fwd to reading more! :wave:

chevy
19th October 2006, 12:47 AM
[tscii:ee2e591c72]

CA classes go on as usual. I attended it but as mentally elsewhere. I missed my old friends at Kinshasa. An American guy, Sean about my age had moved into a villa just next to ours, with his parents just before I left Kinshasa. Mom had invited them for dinner once and we got introduced. He was totally disinterested with life in Kinshasa and we often fought over our differences in opinion about the city. Never the less , we became good pals in less than four weeks. We promised we’d mail each other regularly. I did as I promised but he hadn’t replied even once. When I went to Kinshasa for vacations, he had gone for a safari holiday with his folks.

It’s only when I sit in CA classes, especially during those economics lectures, I’ll be lost in my world of imagination and dreams. Sometimes I’ll dream about the great promising future and sometimes about the happy days of the past. My old school , my house, our ten year old Chevy, my friends , my old crushes, my childhood enemies, embarrassing moments , ecstatic moments, then ... hmmm.. Sean...

Once I was thinking about funny experience and I didn’t realize I was smiling. Suddenly, I noticed someone smiling back. Opps! I sat up and gathered myself. Some guy had assumed I was smiling at him and when he displayed his jawful of teeth I got so shocked, I chided myself for being so thoughtless. Poor guy, must have had wild dreams seeing a girl smiling at him for so long.

Another day, I noticed another guy, in a white and black striped shirt , staring at me for quite a long time. I pretended to not notice. Then I caught him staring at me again another day and he quickly turned away. And it began happening pretty often. Once I wanted to walk up to him and ask, ‘Any problem? Do I owe you anything?’

Huh! Life’s beginning to frustrating. Shailaja’s classes were homicidal. Vishnu Women’s College, holy crap! God only knows why it is so popular! Shailaja often called for extra classes. What disconcerted us all the more was her constant, “Girls ! Please do not take additional courses like Chartered accountancy! The B.com. course that our college puts quite a lot of pressure on the students. And I don’t want to hear excuses like , ‘I have C.A. class , C.S. class, C.W.A class, NIIT, etc? The B.com from our college is the best. It is more than enough, girls!’

This is the thing about her that we hate the most. Who is she to tell us that we shouldn’t take up additional courses. To be frank most girls have taken B.com. as an additional course, keeping their professional courses as the priority. Just incase they fail to clear their professional exams, at least the B.com degree would help. We all fumed in indignation whenever she spoke like that.

I reproduced my own hilarious version of Shailaja’s speeches during the breaks and in the C.A. class. Once while entertaining my comrades during a break in C.A. class, the white and black striped guy kept casting glances towards my side. I ignored. Actually, I was too engrossed in amusing the people around me so I didn’t care. When I’d finished narrating one hilarious incident , the guy laughed with the rest. Hmmm, So he’s listening to me.

It was obvious that he was looking. But I couldn’t tell in what sense? I realized I was always the centre of attraction because I was loud and talkative and of course, I loved making people laugh. Probably he just wanted to enjoy some humor too.

In the C.A. class I spoke to anyone and everyone who sat beside me , but decided I’ll make good pals only with very few carefully selected people. So, we were a gang of six. Myself, Anu , Pavithra, Rathnam, Mahesh and Kadhir. Once all six of us started hanging around together, I stopped my public amusement and spoke only with my pals. Of course as a group, we made great noise and have been chucked out of the Insti reading hall loads of times.

One day, Anu and Pavi didn’t show up and I was sitting on the girls side alone. Rathna was as usual in his world of music and Mahesh and Kadhir were chatting away with other guys. I was sitting alone on the girls’ side when the black and white striped shirt guy came up to me and said, “Hi, did you take down all the maths notes that S.S.L. sir gave?” “Hmmm. But you won’t understand my handwriting.....”
“It’s okay. You are in Vishnu Women’s College, no?” ( hello ... they are not going to ask that in CPT)
“Yeah. You?”
“Madras Christian College”
“Oh okay nice! Which course”
“B.Sc. (Mathematics)” ( what ?????)
“Oh okay! Why Math ?”
“’coz that’s what I got in MCC”
“what course did you want ?”
“B.com. like everyone else”
“B.com-general? Or Accounting-finance? Marketing management? ..”
“Some B.com... why? Which B.com are u in?”
“General”
“Hmmm.... I got B.com in two colleges but got only Mathematics in MCC”
“What’s so special in MCC?”
“What’s what? What are you asking? Are you new here? Come on MCC. The prestigious MCC.” (Enough man ..... )
“Oh I didn’t know it is prestigious”
“Err.... yeah it is.”

We didn’t know what to talk next. Hesitation. Then an awkward Silence which he broke after a minute, “Okay sir will come now. I’ll give the book to you after taking notes down.” (Cha! Say something more interesting stupid)
“Yeah, sure. No problem”

All through the next lecture I kept wondering how to continue the conversation.

Probably he’ll say, “Thank you for your book” or just “Hey, your book” and give it to me. I’ll take it and say , “ Hmmm.. By the way, what’s your name?” Whoa ! Girl, that’s a good idea!

Probably he was just listening to me talk and not really staring at me. In simple Chennai Tamil he wasn’t “Sight adichufying”.

Hey, wait. Can I be so naïve? As my friend Insharah used to say, “No man is a saint. Always be cautious”.

Cha I’m going to play safe. Why bother talking to this guy. Let him return the book. Take it and forget him.

The class got over. The striped black and white striped shirt guy came over and said,
“Hey, Your book. Thanks.”
“You’re welcome”
“Okay bye then. Got to leave. Thought this fellow will lecture the whole night!” (Hmmm.. thank god. But i thought you'll say something more and flirt for sometime. Err.. Don't you want to?)
“Yeah...Bye”

Phew! Hey, that was longer than it was needed. You should have taken the book and turned away girl! You should have said
“Bye” to the guy first! Cha!

Just as I was walking down the Institute steps,
“Hey, by the way, what’s your name” ( Damn, girl you should have walked faster...)
“Lalita” ( but affectionately people call me ...... cha ..why tell him all this..)
“Nice name” (Standard statement. Can’t you think of something more chivalrous?)
“And what is yours?”
“Raman” ( Hmmm... not bad. Thought you’ll have one of those Tamilian tongue twister names. Well Raman, I’ll find out very soon what you are up to.)
"Okay bye. Good night"

[to be continued][/tscii:ee2e591c72]

ramky
19th October 2006, 10:09 AM
Chevy : kathai nallavE pOguthu :D. do check ur pm !

crazy
19th October 2006, 12:09 PM
chevy........................ :clap:
I wish i could study in india :wink:

chevy
19th October 2006, 01:22 PM
[tscii:4b63cbd5b5]6

Loads of people commute by public transport in India. Buses are no exception. You’ll see people hanging from the buses. When I first saw a bus with guys hanging on the sides, it reminded me of the Leaning tower of Pisa. Later, I comprehended that it was due to over population in India that people had no place to even stand in the city buses. No place to sit. No place to stand. So if you want to get somewhere by bus, you better hang on to these buses.

Many of my friends went by bus. I badly wanted to try it once. Seriously, I initially thought it was some excitement I had missed in life.
People blurted, “What?” or “Kaaaa.. ...thu ..” , when I moaned to them, “I’ve never had the city bus experience”
“You don’t have any other wishes in life?”
“Wow. Don’t worry Lalita. We’ll pray your wish comes true”

Once, the driver hadn’t come, so Patti hadn’t come to pick me up at the college gate. She called up and told me she’d come in an auto rickshaw to take me home. That was the end.
“You can’t go alone or what ?”
“Cha... five feet and six inches tall... can’t go home alone, big girl?”
I became the butt of all jokes for a week or so. Soon, I was nick named , Big B( big baby).

Another day, my beloved driver absented himself again, adding more to my Patti’s fury. She rang up to tell me to wait for a while but I convinced her that my friend wants to come home so I’ll come with her. Blah.. blah.. She finally allowed. Half heartedly.

My friend and I, first took the 41D bus to SIET and then a 12B to T.Nagar.
Hmmm, nice. I liked it. It was so cheap and fun. Waiting for the bus. Getting on to it. There are other people in the bus. They watch you. You watch them too. Pay the conductor. He’ll give you a small ticket printed on colored recycled cheap paper. I preserved my ticket as if it was a rare to find stamp. My first bus travel, you see? Then looking out for your stop and getting down at the right time at the right place. Nice! Really, I liked it.

Another day, four of us had to go for project work so we took the dreadful 29C bus to Mylapore. Oh God of all deities! Man, I was crushed! Human Jam! Huh! I am glad I am alive now. I got no place. I had to stand on the board. I thought only guys stood there. Initially, I assumed people had no place to stand inside so they hung outside the bus. Later I realized there were a bunch of fools who loved waiting till the bus started, then ran behind and jumped onto the board. My friend told me some guys did it to impress girls. What? What’s so heroic in running behind bus and climbing on to it? Don’t tell me the women, that too, the ever-cautious and intelligent Indian women fall pray for this?

My friend just dismissed discussing the topic. “They are just putting scene ,ya”. ( Errr.... what did you mean by that?)In Chennai Tamil, there is a word coined for anything someone does to impress another.
“Scene”.
“Avan Scene podran”.
“Over scene.”

Sheesh. People want to risk their lives just to put scene or what?
I stood on the board and held the sidebar tightly just in case I fall and die under the wheels.

Seriously, on that day, I decided. Hereafter, I don’t want to play, Spider-man on these city buses again.
[/tscii:4b63cbd5b5]

crazy
19th October 2006, 01:32 PM
Many of my friends went by bus. I badly wanted to try it once. Seriously, I initially thought it was some excitement I had missed in life.

Chevy i never had the city bus experience :(
One of my stupid wish is to take city bus in chennai (dont they call it pallavan, have heard in some tamil movie songs) and sightseeying :) :roll:

Lambretta
19th October 2006, 06:35 PM
chevy........................ :clap:
I wish i could study in india :wink:
:? U already hav, havnt u? :roll:
Schooling atleast.....?

Lambretta
19th October 2006, 06:38 PM
One of my stupid wish is to take city bus in chennai (dont they call it pallavan, have heard in some tamil movie songs) and sightseeying :) :roll:
Ur right in callin it a stupid wish if its takin a chennai bus...! :roll: I've heard lots of uh, unpleasant things happening to female passengers in them! :oops: :x
Better take one in hyd'bad.....the buses here look worse but atleast they hav separate seating for ladies....:)

crazy
19th October 2006, 09:06 PM
Ur right in callin it a stupid wish if its takin a chennai bus...! :roll: I've heard lots of uh, unpleasant things happening to female passengers in them! :oops: :x
Better take one in hyd'bad.....the buses here look worse but atleast they hav separate seating for ladies....:)

i am not going to take the city bus alone, i will take some friends with me :D

btw: yes i did schooling in india, but it is not like college :roll:

chevy
19th October 2006, 11:07 PM
[tscii:8266b0adee]7

“After all the grime and heat ,
whilst drudging in the scorching street,
Down the svelte lane
How refreshing is the rain....”

My first feel of the Indian Monsoon.
I heard the downpour thrashing the cars, pavement and road outside. Early in the evening, when the first drizzle began , Patti put of the Air conditioners and let the windows open. The rain drops mixed with the Indian soil, thrashed on the neem and mango leaves and let out a sweet refreshing smell. Late in the night, Patti brought hot “Pakoda” and “Bajjis” and Patti , Thatha
(that’s how I call my maternal grandfather) and me sat out in the balcony and relished the hot snacks in cool climate.

Every time it rained, we sat out for either Bajji or Pakoda or Vadas or sometimes soups. Anything hot for the cool climate.

When it rained in the morning, I got irritated because I had to sit in our boring lectures in college and look out longingly at the rain outside. When it rained in the evening I sat in the CA classes looking out of the windows of the classroom and dreamt of all the things I loved, hated, wanted.......

Once it rained heavily in the evening and Patti wasn’t able to come on time to pick me up on time. I didn’t want to stand alone. Kadhir and Mahesh walked into the rain , got themselves wet as they walked to the bus stand. “It takes an hour to reach home, baby. ...What do you think?”
Rathna, Pavi and Anu had bunked. I stood daring myself to get drenched. Patti would nitpick and complain all day.

Raman stood with his friends. Our eyes met each other for a second. (Ha ! I caught you looking at me again! )

I walked up and said, “How’s prep going?" ( No clue why I wanted to talk to him. Hmmm.. I was getting bored.)

“Haven’t started. We are having cultural shows in MCC. Busy with that.....” (Huh! MCC again! )

“How are you going home?”
“Bus. You”
“My Patti will come to pick me up.”
“Your who?????” ( Okay, now he’s going to find out that I am a BB-big baby. Pampered child....whatever.)
“Patti.”
“Oh! Er,, your grandmother comes to pick up and all. Why you won’t travel alone is it?”
“Hmmm. They won’t allow me to.”

Some friend of his saw us talking and sneered at him.
“Oh, okay. I got to catch the bus. Bye.” (Go stupid. And tell your friend to get lost. I don’t like his face)

Raman walked into the rain. Disappeared. Patti came ten minutes later. Till then, I , as usual, dreamt. I don’t know why I had to think of this person. But each time my mind is jobless, he pops into my thoughts. My few days with him were the best in my life. Never had a friend, an enemy, a playmate , a neighbor ...all in one as good as this one. I hate him ‘coz he hasn’t bothered to keep in touch with me. But God only knows why I miss him so much.

Sean....
[/tscii:8266b0adee]

crazy
21st October 2006, 03:00 PM
:D

ramky
22nd October 2006, 12:28 AM
interesting ... :)

chevy
29th October 2006, 12:06 AM
[tscii:8f70a1b666]8

We celebrated Diwali modestly back home in Kinshasa. October to December was full of festivities in our family friends’ circle, comprising of Indians, Middle Easterners and of course, Congolese. Diwali, Navratiri, Ramadhan , Eid and Christmas. Of course , the celebration was private, held at our own homes, or maybe celebrated with some friends over a small party.

Diwali was a big blast here with Patti. My mom’s brother, whom I’ve never met in my life before came down to Chennai for Diwali. For the first time in my life, I was meeting my cousins. I was really looking forward to the occasion. Patti took me for the “Diwali purchases”. Thatha did his purchases by himself. Patti got the house whitewashed , turned out all the pieces of furniture and got the house spotlessly clean. The day before my mom’s brother were to arrive, she told Chembarathi, our maid, to make “muruku” and “badusha”. I didn’t bother to ask if they were for Diwali or for her son, but I took the hint that she was really excited.

So was I.

Thatha had told me that my mom’s brother had a girl of my age and an older son. I was ecstatic. He also told me how I was to address them. He promised me great fun for Diwali and I knew he wasn’t lying.

The next day, Patti left early in the evening to Mambalam Station to pick “Mama”, “Athai” and my cousins. I sat in the backyard, listening to Thatha describing the ways he used to celebrate Diwali as a child.

When our car drove up our gate and into the shed, we heard the honk and went to receive the guests. I realized I was walking faster than I usually did, actually running. Just as I was about to get out of the house, Patti came running up and shoved me back in.

“Go up. You need to be properly introduced.”
“What?”
“Haan. Not now. Go up now. They are tired, they’ll see you later.”

I didn’t have much of a choice but I was really disappointed.
As I turned I caught a glimpse of a bright blue dupatta or Saree pallu, I don’t know which.

I heard a husky growl saying,
“Ha..!! This area has grown so much. So many new shops. Looks totally different.”

And a high pitched voice saying,
“Of course. Then what do you expect? The city is developing so much and so fast. Our house’s value should have gone up also, no Athai?”

(Athai? Who’s Athai? I thought my Athai was supposed to come. Who else has an Athai here?)

“Hmmm.. yeah. Vanga. Vanga. Come in. Chembarathi will take the bags inside.”

I walked up frustrated. Stormed into my room and slammed the door shut. I had always presumed Patti was the more sensible and fun type. Thatha was reserved and never indulged in anything that I would classify as “fun”.
I found it irritating to hear her voice that minute.

Though Mom had told me earlier about her family, I never thought it would affect me anytime. I had never cared for cousins ‘cause I never knew what it felt like to have cousins. But this time I was disappointed ‘cause I had really looked forward to meeting my cousins. Mom’s sister and brother reduced and eventually stopped talking to Mom since her marriage to an American. Mama had worked part time during his student life to support the education of his sisters. Mom’s hard work had won her a 50% scholarship but the remaining 50% of the fees plus living costs had to be paid in dollars. Mama and Thatha both had worked hard to ensure my Mom’s success in her career. It came as a slap across their face when she returned to India to announce her desire to marry an American. Mom was a pet of the house. The youngest and the most pampered child. She was never refused. Whatever she wanted was fulfilled at the earliest. This decision of hers initially caused fury but later ended as blissful marriage. Though it was all at the cost of losing her name in the family. Her sister’s, my perima was forbidden to acquaint with us by her husband, my peripa. All this sounded funny to me when I listened to it in Kinshasa. Now, it hurts. All my inquisitiveness became anxiety. If they felt it wrong to have me around, I shall not come in their way. Let every one have a happy Diwali.

I looked at myself in the mirror. The mirror image of myself blurred. My eyes were welling up with tears, I don’t know no, why.

Slowly, I broke into quiet sobs and didn’t realize a young manly voice behind me saying.
“Hey............ who’s this in my old room.”

I sat up on the bed and looked at mirror. Crisp black trousers, neatly ironed but crinkled a little due to travel. I dared myself to turn back with my ugly crying face. I almost jumped as a fresh, handsome face appeared in the mirror.

“Huh, this mirror is too short isn’t it? .Need to bend down so much to look into it............... Err.... are you crying?”

[to be continued][/tscii:8f70a1b666]

crazy
29th October 2006, 12:12 AM
good :thumbsup:

actually i was expecting Sean in this episode, but anyway............interesting :)

ramky
2nd November 2006, 03:46 AM
:thumbsup: interesting. Chevy, when will Sean be seen ? :)

chevy
2nd November 2006, 02:20 PM
:thumbsup: interesting. Chevy, when will Sean be seen ? :) lol.. it sounds funny.. but actually .."sean" is pronouned as "shawn "... jus 4 doz whu thot sean is pronounced as "seen" ...

NM
3rd November 2006, 09:49 AM
well done, chevvy! i've joined the 'chevvy fan club'! the storyline is very nice, the flow is very good and you have a natural flair in writing plus the fact that your command of English is great makes the whole story easy to follow.. :thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

waiting for Sean to surface too...........

can't stop wondering whther it's based on someone's experience.... :P

chevy
3rd November 2006, 02:03 PM
well done, chevvy! i've joined the 'chevvy fan club'! thanks ... :D

can't stop wondering wehther it's based on someone's experience.... :P what makes you think so ?

cheers!
chevy

chevy
5th November 2006, 12:24 AM
[tscii:ca46a89f19]

Diwali was just great. Nope, even better. Actually, it wasn’t the Diwali part of it. It was the fun of meeting my cousins for the first time. I always considered my parents and only my parents as my family. Everyone else related to my parents belonged to my “extended family” category. I never believed cousins made a difference. We are cousins, related by birth, that’s it. How does a cousin score over a friend? If at all she or he does then maybe you’ll are friends more than just cousins. But for the first time I realized I have a family and what it means to associate yourself with one.

I must confess , I cried more than once almost every hour for every word that struck through my heart. My Mama and Perima were merciless. Oh, I forgot to mention. Perima had arrived with her family. Perima, Perima and her son and two daughters.

I hated the way the elders were treating me, of course my dear thatha, stayed out of this. He’d rather sit and listen to old music rather than criticize about my mom and me.

I don’t why I get self conscious when Gautham is around. Probably it’s because I looked tearful and ugly the first time he met me. First impression is best impression, right? He had done his graduation in Chennai too. He had also stayed with my grandparents. His sister, Parvathi, was so simple and yet gorgeous. Both of them have a good dress sense and take good advantage of their charming smile and charisma. My perima’s daughters were unconventional mix of sorts. Both were straight opposites. Parvathi had explained to me how my perima’s children were equivalent to my own siblings. It sounded so funny when she said it the first time. I could marry an Athai son but a perima’s son was supposed to be my own brother. I suppressed the laughter that was just waiting to burst out.

They’d stayed for a week and each night the six of us would stay up all night. Gossip, play cards and chat till three. On diwali, everyone enjoyed the crackers part of it thought, I didn’t find it very amusing. I loved getting all dressed up. My perima’s daughter’s , Jyotsna akka and Vaishnavi akka, both hovered around and got me dressed up like a doll. Jayanth anna , my perima’s son was such a king in cards. He was so good at Rummy.

I loved talking about my cousins in college. I expected people to show signs of excitement or delight but soon got branded as “mokkai” or “ Kadi queen”. Later I learn’t it stood for something that meant “queen of lame jokes”. From then on , I reduced communicating with my “Tamil-obsessed” friends in college. I’d rather talk to my CA friends who were greater fun to hang out with.

I don’t know if I’ve just become more sensitive or people mindlessly make a travesty out of my Tamil, whatever it is , it really hurts. I suppose you give people a chance, you know. I love the way people speak the language hilariously, but I hurts when they mock at your way of speaking the language.

The Common Proficiency Test is coming up in less than twenty days. Pavi , Mahesh, Kadhir and I often go to the ICAI reading hall and try to study there like big nerds. In less than twenty minutes we’d be out sitting near the lunch area and chatting away to glory. I would be lying even if I said I am little prepared. I waste my time a lot these days. I am usually stuck to the phone. Chatting with Gautham or Jay. Or my five buddies from CA class.

Raman called up to wish me on Diwali. It was totally unexpected. Now, that reminds me I need to ask him how he got hold my number ! Humph!

I feel foolish when I finish talking to Gautham. Even over the phone I am fidgeting with my hair or my dress. Why is that I get so over conscious? Does he notice that?

(Noooooooooooooooo ..... please..... )

It’s fun talking to Jay “anna”. I repeat that “ anna” almost after every five words. Probably because he’s my only “anna”.

Life is meaningless and wastefully spent these days. Mostly my brain which is supposed to be working for the CPT, is engrossed in old sweet memories. Bitter memories rather? Past is past but why does it cling on to your present as a memory and bring back useless feelings? Huh! I’ve lived in Congo for so many years and I’ve got so many friends there. But why does only that dupe, Sean come into my head.

( BACKGROUND MUSIC: WHILE YOU READ THIS DO LISTEN TO : show me the meaning of being lonely
LINK : http://www.muzic9.com/index.php?c=song&songid=28583 )

Have you ever missed someone?
Ever stood by the window to see if that person would suddenly surprise you by appearing downstairs?
Waiting for the post man to see if that person had snail mailed you?
(Nah! This is old-style)
Kept checking your mobile even if by chance that person is ringing you up?
Or just missed called?
Or rang up and you missed that lucky chance?
Or kept signing into your inbox to see if that person sent you any emails?
Or kept staring at your inbox hoping for one to pop in suddenly?

Or kept refreshing the page to see if some miracle would happen?
Or kept logging into your messenger to see if that person is online?
Wondering if that person is okay?
Straining your brain thinking why she or he is ignoring you?
What did you say the last time?
Said something wrong?
Maybe it hurt the person and she or he doesn’t want to talk to you anymore?
Maybe that person is a heartless fool?
Why think about that fool?
She or He doesn’t think about me anyway!

Huh!

But missing someone is a sweet feeling, you know? Laying on your bed wondering what you meant to that person , thinking about the great times you’ve had with that person, why isn’t that person with you now and when will that person come back to bring color to your life? Missing someone is a part of growing up I guess. It teaches you how to cope with loneliness.

I don’t care how it sounds. But missing a person who doesn’t miss me doesn’t funny to me anymore. It’s seriously my problem, my obsession, my hobby, my diversion, my mania, my hitch, my madness, my everything......

[to be continued]
[/tscii:ca46a89f19]

crazy
5th November 2006, 12:32 AM
[tscii:813e25e10d]

But missing someone is a sweet feeling, you know? Laying on your bed wondering what you meant to that person , thinking about the great times you’ve had with that person, why isn’t that person with you now and when will that person come back to bring color to your life? Missing someone is a part of growing up I guess. It teaches you how to cope with loneliness.

I don’t care how it sounds. But missing a person who doesn’t miss me doesn’t funny to me anymore. It’s seriously my problem, my obsession, my hobby, my diversion, my mania, my hitch, my madness, my everything......

chevy ur writing is getting better and better each day, iam looking so forward to read ur next update! :wink:

keep going dear :thumbsup: :clap:

hm............missing !!!!!![/tscii:813e25e10d]

chevy
5th November 2006, 10:44 AM
[tscii:d7092a0bbe]

chevy ur writing is getting better and better each day, iam looking so forward to read ur next update! :wink:

keep going dear :thumbsup: :clap:

hm............missing !!!!!![/tscii:d7092a0bbe] thankeeeee

chevy
11th November 2006, 12:17 AM
[tscii:74d036ef63]10

After Diwali, life is a little different. New friends and cousins dotting over me every now and then. CA classes go on as usual and College is just the same Nazi campus. Shailaja is all the more irritable these days. She’s got some problem with her health and we are all the victims of her temper.

I slept several times in her class and got caught most of the times. I face her wrath more than anyone else. Our gang of six at the Insti is just as great as ever. In our gang, we are all verbally armed to attack anyone coming in our way. If at all things get physical, our kick boxer Mahesh is always there. We have a gang policy of bunking all economics lectures. Coffee Day is just next to the insti and always open for us. Sometimes we run short of cash, then our “yelani-akka” , whose business ( established 1980 something) is there to give us tender coconut at rupees ten. She or her ancestors had their stall outside the Insti even when our all time target, Professor. Chinnaswamy, had studied Chartered Accountancy about two decades ago. There are other stalls as well, but we usually don’t eat there. Primarily because of hygiene reasons. Secondly because both Anu and Rathna
are Iyers who don’t like even looking at eggs or any form of meat. Lastly because we believe it is a little below our standards to eat on the pavements.

Raman kept watching our noisy gang. He rarely talked to whilst I stood with my friends. But whenever, I stood alone, he’d be there for me to pass time with. He sends some hilarious messages which starts my day with a good mood. Sometimes these forwarded messages are a nuisance. Otherwise when I am totally jobless , I can catch hold of some retard to message me till I get something to engage myself with. Once, I was completely saturated and couldn’t take in the lectures. I walked out of the hall instead of sitting for the second lecture. My buddies, who were in a nerdy mood after having received internal tests’ results in college, weren’t game for bunking that day. Kadhir was about to come just when the second lecturer walked into the class. Raman had followed me out. A friend of his, Premsundar (another MCC enthusiast) was already out and just about to walk in.

“Hey Ram, not going for class.?”, Prem called out.
“No ya. Hey lalita? Not going for class”
“No. What about you?”
“No. I am not. Prem you go man. Nerdy.”

Prem hurried in and .....
Voila! We stood out of the hall like fools staring at one another not knowing where to begin. A good long minute had passed. Not knowing what to say, I walked to the notice board saying, “Let’s see what care the lectures for tomorrow”

Raman walked behind and the conversation continued just for the heck of it. I wished he’d get the hint that I was getting bored. I actually wanted to do nothing. Probably go to the reading hall and try to study. Or just look out of the window and dream.

Finally, he said, “So what are going to go now?”
“I don’t know. You?”
“Go home. What else. All those nerds are inside. I can’t loaf on the streets alone. I need company. You? Called your Patti?”
“Nope. She’ll come only at eight. I’ll go to the library now. And then the reading hall till eight.”
“All right. I come with you then.” (Oh Sheesh. I wish you miss your mummy and go home as soon as possible. Huh!)
“Fine.”

I walked as slow as possible. Dragging my feet from one tile to another as if as I was counting the tiles on the floor. Within ten minutes we had picked our books and took adjacent chairs in the reading hall. Opened our books and started chatting.

I was mentally prepared for an hour and a half of a stiffly boring chat filled with all praises for Madras Christian College. But when it set going, Raman didn’t turn out to be as boring as I’d contemplated he’d be. Sometime during the chat, he began to eulogize his college.
“No. I am not going to leave College if I don’t get part time Articles. I need college. How can one leave college? Put in so much of efforts for getting into it!”
“Well, isn’t CA your priority?”
“Yeah. But we can’t leave college no? You need college experience”
“Why not. Then there’s no point doing just CPT and dropping CA after that.”
“No. I’ll carry on with CA after I graduate.”
“Oh! You’ll be three years behind the rest of us”
“That’s if all of you pass at first attempt. (Ah! Touch wood.) Of course you will.”
“Hmmm.”
“Are you in NCC?”
“No. Are you? How can you do so much? NCC? College Culturals? CA ?”
“Yeah. But one should NCC experience you know. It’s great.!”

The conversation went on. I found every bit of his ideologies contradicting to mine. This guy has no priority in life. He wants to get an experience of everything. Can’t make sacrifices. Of course college life is important. But this ain’t a peanut course. This is a really tough course where “one is supposed to work when the world sleeps” ( or something like that is the Institute’s motto.)

He’s taking it so lightly.
We had reached a point when I was almost going to tell him, “ You do whatever you feel like doing! Can’t you take up something and prioritize everything?”
I wasn’t in a mood to argue and kept quiet. We stared blankly at our books. Suddenly he turned and said,
“You know what?” ( What? How am I supposed to know? )
“What?”
“ I am the first person in my family to attend a college.”
“Oh!”

I was speechless. Yeah. Now I know why he was so committed to his college. Now I understood what excited him at the very mention of college. No more comments.

(Go on. )

“In fact. My dad had wanted to join MCC. But he had other commitments. So he never joined.”
“Oh I see”

I expected him to say “They were never able to afford it. Even for me, it’s pretty hard.”
Not that he looked deprived but it was the way he spoke. I was bewildered when he said ,

“My grandfather was an instrumentalist in Illayaraja’s troupe. You know Illayaraja? He’s a famous tamil music director. My Thatha also took carnatic music classes. And of course, Mridangam. ”
“Oh okay.”
“My father takes classes too. He discontinued education after schooling and got into hotel management. Just like that. No graduation and all. He got his job with Thatha’s little influence. My mom plays the Veena and sings as well. My sister didn’t learn any instrument. She sings Carnatic thought. Most of my relatives also perform and teach Carnatic music- vocal, instrumental , both. It’s their way of making a living. But in our family my dad’s got a job. But very often, we give performances. But as such, no one has done any form of graduation you know?”

“You’ve got a Carnatic family then.”

“Even now, if I want to. I can drop college and join any troupe. Even I am Mridangam player. My Thatha’s student of course. I was taking classes in eleventh. But I couldn’t manage it. Had no time. I have about seven functions to play at next month.”
“Wow.”

I hadn’t expected this at all. I had first presumed he was another of those aimless loafers ,then got irritated with his gaping then got bored with his poor flirting. Finally I hear he’s none of what I’d thought about him.

“In fact, I had more offers but my mother’s not allowing me. I can’t bunk college for them .I am doing only the important ones.”
“Oh all right. So you really like all this?”
“Of course. I even like Bharatnatyam you know. I never miss an opportunity to play for a dancer. I just love it when someone dances to my music.”
“Oh! Really? So has that ever happened?”
“Yeah. About five or six times. We all persuaded my sister to learn too. But she’s the lazy type. She wouldn’t cooperate with mom, so she never learnt to play the Veena. Any my aunt , my Athai she tried teaching my sister to dance but she didn’t cooperate. Idiot she is.”
“Oh okay. But she sings right?”
“Yeah. But that’s not enough. I don’t know if you understand but music and dance are very important. In my family, it is like being close to god. And a girl is valued by how much she knows. Can she cook? Can she sing? Can she dance?”
“Oh okay”
“Do you sing?”
“Yeah. A little. But not Carnatic.”

I didn’t want to tell him the African milieu of my childhood. Or I would have started my music in Lingala.

“Hmmm. It’s seven thirty. Can I leave? It takes an hour to reach home.”
( Don’t ask boy! Why will I stop you?)
“Oh ! Okay! Bye then.”
“Sorry. Is it okay? Or should I wait? You’ll be sitting here alone.”
( Why so much of concern suddenly? What happened that day when it rained? You left just like that? Sheesh! Girl stop thinking like that. )

I was amazed indeed. He was courteous. Has a different background. His family was totally into divine classical Carnatic music. Of course he and I can aren’t of the same breed. Whatever he was , he wasn’t what I’d thought about him. On One hand there are guys like Sean who live for the minute. On the other hand there are such thoughtful guys. How sweet.

I really learnt two things that day.

One . Looks can be highly deceptive.
Two. Never jump into conclusions. Take time to form opinions about people.
Oh boy! How could I have thought about this fellow like that?

“No Ram. It’s okay. You leave. My patti will come in another ten minutes.”
“Sure Lalita?”
“Yeah. Don’t worry.”
“All right then. Stay here till she comes. Don’t stand out. I wanted to tell you this that day when it rained but .... like you are going listen to me. I am nobody to tell you. So I left. Anyway anything else ?”
“Yeah.”
“What is it?”
“Ram,.... I had first thought ....”
“What?”
“Nothing.”
“Come on. You started it. Go on.”
“No I just wanted to tell you ..”
“Yeah?”
“Play mridangam for me sometime.”

[to be continued]

[/tscii:74d036ef63]

chevy
11th November 2006, 01:24 AM
vasi akka .. i think u r the only one readin ... no other comments ?? :(

bingleguy
11th November 2006, 02:49 AM
vasi akka .. i think u r the only one readin ... no other comments ?? :(

never come to conclusions :-) there can be ppl who enjoy silently ! :-)

crazy
11th November 2006, 01:44 PM
chevy, iam so proud of u......... :D
ur writings :thumbsup:

sipi
12th November 2006, 02:45 AM
i dont have words to tell... the story is really very nice (more than a story, its describes about an experience in life)... now, time is 2:45 am... fulla padichi mudikira varaikum... ennala niruthave mudiyala.. its very interesting... and u r writings, the words u used,mmmm all are really very good...

Wibha
12th November 2006, 08:10 AM
chevy :2thumbsup:

da bus part is awesome it reminds me of bangalore.........DIWALI is coolllllll......sean were's his entry???????? :D

story's getting awesome...........post it fasssssstttttttttt :cool2:

chevy
12th November 2006, 06:05 PM
i dont have words to tell... the story is really very nice (more than a story, its describes about an experience in life)... now, time is 2:45 am... fulla padichi mudikira varaikum... ennala niruthave mudiyala.. its very interesting... and u r writings, the words u used,mmmm all are really very good... thanks sipi .... hmmm .... any particular words ??

chevy
12th November 2006, 06:06 PM

da bus part is awesome it reminds me of bangalore.........DIWALI is coolllllll......sean were's his entry???????? :D

story's getting awesome...........post it fasssssstttttttttt :cool2: i ;ve never seen people hanging frm buses in blore ... maybe i havnt seen much of blore

chevy
12th November 2006, 06:06 PM
chevy, iam so proud of u......... :D
ur writings :thumbsup: thanks vasi akka

sipi
12th November 2006, 07:18 PM
[tscii:07a0a08352]

i dont have words to tell... the story is really very nice (more than a story, its describes about an experience in life)... now, time is 2:45 am... fulla padichi mudikira varaikum... ennala niruthave mudiyala.. its very interesting... and u r writings, the words u used,mmmm all are really very good... thanks sipi .... hmmm .... any particular words ??

If I have to mention, then have to read it again hmm... Actually, I like to write a comment for part by part... but unfortunately, I didn’t have much time. That’s why I stopped with little words yesterday...[/tscii:07a0a08352]

Wibha
12th November 2006, 10:17 PM

story's getting awesome...........post it fasssssstttttttttt :cool2: i ;ve never seen people hanging frm buses in blore ... maybe i havnt seen much of blore

u shuld c da proper buses :D.........anyways continue wid ur story :cool:

ksen
13th November 2006, 04:25 PM
good job chevy :2thumbsup:

It is more like reading a diary than a story!
(Whose experiences???)
Ippo Ram paavama, Sean paavama? (thamizh cinema paathu paathu, oru maadiri dhan thinking pOgum :P )

Post faster!

crazy
13th November 2006, 04:27 PM
ksen akka :lol:

sipi
13th November 2006, 06:32 PM
(thamizh cinema paathu paathu, oru maadiri dhan thinking pOgum :P )

:lol: :lol: :lol: paravala manasula irukuradha appadiye solluringa...

chevy
13th November 2006, 07:04 PM

(Whose experiences???)
Ippo Ram paavama, Sean paavama? (thamizh cinema paathu paathu, oru maadiri dhan thinking pOgum :P )

Post faster! well .. it's a piece of fiction... no one's experience .. and

as for " yaru paavam...." ...
do wait n see...

:)

sipi
13th November 2006, 07:11 PM

(Whose experiences???)

as for " yaru paavam...."
wait...

chevy solradha partha, rendu perume paavam pola???

chevy
13th November 2006, 07:23 PM

(Whose experiences???)

wait...

chevy solradha partha, rendu perume paavam pola??? patience .... :D

sipi
13th November 2006, 08:23 PM
well .. it's a piece of fiction... no one's experience .. and
wait...
chevy solradha partha, rendu perume paavam pola??? patience .... :D

:lol: patience??? what it means? i didnt know the word patience and mostly i dont like to know abt the word... even, i skip the word from my memory... :D

chevy, when u will post the next part?

thamizhvaanan
13th November 2006, 08:37 PM
no one's experience really? :D

sipi
13th November 2006, 08:52 PM

chevy enna poiya solla poranga??? nambunga tv... neenga ketkuradha partha seri illaiye?? :D

thamizhvaanan
13th November 2006, 09:00 PM

chevy
13th November 2006, 09:16 PM

chevy enna poiya solla poranga??? nambunga tv... neenga ketkuradha partha seri illaiye?? :D :)

sipi . .next part will be up very soon ...

chevy
13th November 2006, 10:11 PM
hi .. i have renamed it as "madras musings" ..

thamizhvaanan
13th November 2006, 10:17 PM
I liked the previous title :roll:

crazy
14th November 2006, 01:13 PM

me too :(

chevy
14th November 2006, 02:03 PM

me too :( OH ! .. i thought .. it;s was too amateur / kiddish ..

crazy
14th November 2006, 02:07 PM
no dear.............enakku andha title thaan pidichirukku :)
anyway un ishdam.............unakku eppadi thonudho, appadiye vaichukko :D

chevy
14th November 2006, 02:11 PM
no dear.............enakku andha title thaan pidichirukku :)
anyway un ishdam.............unakku eppadi thonudho, appadiye vaichukko :D well. . i am in doubt again ..
i d like to hear what every1 else thinks abt it ..and then .............
totally confused now. .lol..

crazy
14th November 2006, 02:13 PM
okieeeeeee :)

ksen
14th November 2006, 02:40 PM
no problem! newspaperla columnist title madiri irukku :D

chevy
14th November 2006, 03:11 PM
no problem! newspaperla columnist title madiri irukku :D YEAH ..that's what i felt ..
don't tell me there is already a book with that name ??? :(:( i want the copyrights !! waaa... lol ..

and is there a column nywer with the same title ?? i like this title ..however i am contemplating whether it's okay .. 'coz it seems to be vaguely familiar to me ..

bulb_mani
14th November 2006, 05:42 PM
Once Upon a Time A foreigner Came To India .................................................. .....................

and went Back!

Yaaru Vandha Namaku Ena... Velaiya Papom :D

chevy
14th November 2006, 06:31 PM
Once Upon a Time A foreigner Came To India .................................................. .....................

and went Back!

Yaaru Vandha Namaku Ena... Velaiya Papom :D ???

ksen
14th November 2006, 08:38 PM
One Muthiah writes in Hindu (Sunday magazine) on a similar title, and those have been compiled into a book. I am not sure whether it is musings or miscellany - check the Chennai edition.

thamizhvaanan
14th November 2006, 10:22 PM
ksen, yes it is "madras miscellany" :)

ksen
14th November 2006, 10:47 PM
[tscii:beb1bd38f9]
Significantly, Muthiah is the editor of Madras Musings. "It is a city fortnightly on Chennai’s heritage and environment," states Muthiah. " But my involvement with Madras Musings is just a fraction of the total amount of my time."

Incidentally, Madras Musings, a focused publication has been catalytical in getting the reputed newspapers and other media interested in Chennai. States Muthiah "It has made its hallmark in Chennai and is much sought after."

[/tscii:beb1bd38f9]
Google search - chennaionline.com

You may have to make a slight change in the title :roll:

chevy
15th November 2006, 02:25 AM
[tscii:e7c6838a55]
Significantly, Muthiah is the editor of Madras Musings. "It is a city fortnightly on Chennai’s heritage and environment," states Muthiah. " But my involvement with Madras Musings is just a fraction of the total amount of my time."

Incidentally, Madras Musings, a focused publication has been catalytical in getting the reputed newspapers and other media interested in Chennai. States Muthiah "It has made its hallmark in Chennai and is much sought after."

[/tscii:e7c6838a55]
Google search - chennaionline.com

You may have to make a slight change in the title :roll: yeah yeah .. i will . .

chevy
16th November 2006, 11:40 PM
[tscii:a57cd67150]

“Push marketing and pull marketing” , of course no one is listening to this lecture , But our marketing lecturer has got her own moody ways of irritating us. If you clean up the department staff room and do all her nonsensical homework, that she herself doesn’t have a record of, you are her favourite student.

If you don’t you are the biggest pain in her neck.
One day she’ll call you, ‘hi chellam. What happened kanna’ .

The next day she’ll say, ‘You people are such hopeless students. You are not fit to be in Vishnu college. Look at G. Look at P. Look at ....’ (ya we are not fit to be in this hopeless college. It’s too cheap for us. As if they are running some Harvard Business School.)

One day, my friend Aishwarya was so jobless in marketing lecture that she decided to amuse herself by flipping through a “mehendi designs” book ‘coz she was going for a mehendi competition. This marketing lectutrer , that geek , saw her. She came down and went on with her stupid lecture casting side glares at Ice-war-ya . Me and my benchmate, Neha, went like , ‘Opps .. Ice is dead’. That geek she went on staring, stopped the lecture abruptly and went like ‘hey aishwarya, you’ll put mehendi for my daughter no?’

Duh.......

Now you understand what kind of a zoo our college is ?
This geek often gets eccentric ideas in her head and she’ll throw it to us as a project or an assignment. The kind of the products we usually discuss will be either saris(that this geek loves) or power ranger toys(that her daughter loves). Now the recent hype in Chennai is this reversible Sari.It is something like a 4in 1 sari. It’s price is royally around 68000 rupees and this is sari is created by none other than the Great Rmkv. Patti told me once that the RmKv family and ours are acquainted or related in someway. They are also from “my” community. ( All right, I do not belong to “your” community. I am a hybrid variety of species.). She told me that my grandpop and one of those Rmkv guys were classmates bench mates and college-mates. I don’t know the details but our family had always got the “brand loyalty” towards Rmkv. Any marriage in our family and the sari has got to be from Rmkv, because it’s supposed to be lucky. It’s almost a tradition. But over the years we lost touch with that family but the brand loyalty still exists. Now the Rmkv family’s fully loaded. In the recent years, Rmkv has sprung into aggressive marketing and innovation. She told me that they created the world’s longest sari, and got into the Guinness Book of records. Then they created the sari with the most number of colours. The 50000 colored sari priced at a royal Rs. 50000 or 56000. and applied to the Guinness for that as well. Their next marketing strategy was a challenge to the customer. “Intha color promise” You choose any color from the 50000 colored sari and Rmkv has a range of saris in that colors and that is a promise. Now they’ve come up with the reversible sari. RmKv’s innovations put it’s competitors like Pothys and Nalli in a tough situation and they began their innovations as well. None of them have gone beyond renaming the collections in fancy names and introducing new designs. Recently the Kumaran Silks’ “Ulley Velliye” (meaning inside outside.)sari was one exception where the innovation did not come from Rmkv. The feature of this sari is that changes colors. When in sunlight it is one color and when indoors it is in another. Seriously, thanks to Rmkv and we’ve now got sari with “features” .

Now this marketing professor wanted us to examine the marketing strategies of the textile businesses and classify and explain which is “push promotion” and which is “pull promotion.” Some geeks in my class actually went to South Usman Road and Pondy Bazaar to these shops to ask the managers of the showroom to help them in this project!!! Like they’ll tell their marketing strategies!!!

I went to Pondy Bazaar too.

Naah….. not for the project. To do “Platform Shopping”, as I call it. Or cheap shopping as my mom does. Pondy Bazaar is where you’ll get the exact replica of an Alba or Rado watch at 200 rupees or less. Pondy Bazaar is where you can hone for bargaining skills. That’s where you pick charming and worthless dangling earrings and glass bangles. Pondy Bazaar is where you’ll get awesome jute bags. Pondy Bazaar. is where you’ll get pretty bouquets on the road side. Pondy .Bazaar. is also the place for malls like Naidu hall. Pondy .Bazaar. is where you’ll get........

Oh forget it. You’ll get anything and everything you want. To all babes, Just get some kenai’s wallet and come on . Check out Naidu and then the platforms and if you don’t get stuff below 200 rupees on the road... .. call me over. ..i ll bargain for you! .

Yawn...(it’s now 1:30 am) … How do I tomorrow’s marketing project?
What do I tell that mouse?

Po di Goyya..

[to be continued] [/tscii:a57cd67150]

Wibha
17th November 2006, 06:10 AM
wat is GOYYA???????????? :huh:

Surya
17th November 2006, 07:58 AM

You! 8-)

Wibha
17th November 2006, 08:04 AM

You! 8-)

naan serious-a kekarean :evil:........and its' obvious it's not ME :evil:

crazy
17th November 2006, 12:52 PM
chevy :clap:

sipi
17th November 2006, 01:34 PM

You! 8-)

naan serious-a kekarean :evil:........and its' obvious it's not ME :evil:

its just a kidding word...

pazham, sambar nu solluvangale adhe pola.. inga tn la romba famous word...

(goyya = guava nu kooda oru meaning iruku)

sipi
17th November 2006, 02:11 PM
[tscii:092a846d12] :clap: good work, chevy... it's very interesting to read this story...

‘Opps .. Ice is dead’. That geek she went on staring, stopped the lecture abruptly and went like ‘hey aishwarya, you’ll put mehendi for my daughter no?’

Naah….. not for the project. To do “Platform Shopping”, as I call it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hmm, unaku saree's pathi niraiya therinji iruku... but, naan therinjikittu enna seiradhunu theriyala :cry: (JK)[/tscii:092a846d12]

crazy
17th November 2006, 05:51 PM
title :thumbsup:

thamizhvaanan
18th November 2006, 09:20 AM
that too, the ever-cautious and intelligent Indian women fall pray for this? :rotfl: :rotfl: really? tell me where to find them :lol2:

I do travel by foot-board at times :roll: ... but that is for the sake of reaching college in time ... "uyira koduthu padikkren'nu sollanumla " :ashamed:

thamizhvaanan
18th November 2006, 09:26 AM
Chevy, your writing is nice :thumbsup:

normally I dont read stories, but this one is keeping me engrossed :clap:

sipi
18th November 2006, 11:13 AM
hmmmm.. koodiya seekiram, chevy ku oru periya rasigar manrame uruvagidum pola iruku... :clap:

chevy
18th November 2006, 02:59 PM
that too, the ever-cautious and intelligent Indian women fall pray for this? :rotfl: :rotfl: really? tell me where to find them :lol2: every where!! .....

I do travel by foot-board at times :roll: ... but that is for the sake of reaching college in time ... "uyira koduthu padikkren'nu sollanumla " :ashamed: :lol: :lol:

thamizhvaanan
18th November 2006, 03:20 PM
that too, the ever-cautious and intelligent Indian women fall pray for this? :rotfl: :rotfl: really? tell me where to find them :lol2: every where!! .....
:rotfl: You've got some gud sense of humor :thumbsup: :lol2:

chevy
18th November 2006, 09:28 PM
:rotfl: You've got some gud sense of humor :thumbsup: :lol2: really? hmmm .. merci beaucoup !!

Shakthiprabha.
19th November 2006, 02:18 PM
Chevvy,

I feel I am living ur story.

(More so cause I AM A CHENNAITE, and yes, its like... how it was for a 17 year old...ages back :) )

Such life in ur narration!

Though there is a tinge of doubt that,
IS THIS AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY :wink:

if it is, then, GOOD.

if it is not, then, BETTER... cause it has turned out so realistically clsoe to most of our life experiences :)

Btw,

Chennai is an exotic place, to muse bout our college and school lives... and things beyond that too stays put in our mind :wink: :thumbsup:

chevy
19th November 2006, 04:03 PM
every1 asks the same thing .. the answer is no ..

chevy
22nd November 2006, 03:21 PM
Chevvy,

I feel I am living ur story.

(More so cause I AM A CHENNAITE, and yes, its like... how it was for a 17 year old...ages back :) )

Such life in ur narration!

Though there is a tinge of doubt that,

if it is, then, GOOD.

if it is not, then, BETTER... cause it has turned out so realistically clsoe to most of our life experiences :)

Btw,

Chennai is an exotic place, to muse bout our college and school lives... and things beyond that too stays put in our mind :wink: :thumbsup: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty:

next episode coming up very soon
chevy

chevy
22nd November 2006, 11:55 PM
[tscii:bebb191e4c]

CPT was not all that bad. But it would have been easier had I studied for it. I had hoped to hang with my friends more after the exam. Much to my disappointment, Patti didn’t allow me. I hated it. I shouted at Mom over the phone. She wouldn’t listen to it either.

Jay anna called me several times promising to take me around after his semester exams. I rang up Gautham thrice. Once we chatted for an hour. The other two times, he was busy. I, with a lot of difficulty resisted the urge to call him up again. But it seemed to me he was not interested.

My college friends were in a better mood as Shailaja had taken a medical leave and she wouldn’t be back for months. Some friends suggested bunking college and chilling out and exploring Chennai inch by inch. It sounded like fun and perilous yet I risked it more than once.

One thing I hate, detest, dislike, loathe , can’t bear and can’t stand is to see men urinating on the streets. I am shocked that they aren’t embarrassed in the first place. Secondly, don’t they think it’s unhygienic. Thirdly, don’t they realize that there are other people, especially women who’ll be watching ( of course by accident, unintentionally). I can’t even look outside the window of my car as I travel ‘cause every now and then some guy is pissing on the streets.

I have a habit of day dreaming. Sometimes I don’t even realize I am smiling. Once I was looking outside the window of my salon car and dreaming, as usual. I don’t remember if I was smiling. It was at the signal. Out of the blue , Patti shot a question at me, “What are you staring at?”. I was still in my hallucinations and didn’t get what she was saying. I was in for a thwarting alarm when I turned to see a man squatting. Thanks to the CCTP, (Chennai city traffic police), the traffic lights showed green and we sped away.

Without Shailaja in College, college life seemed to be such a bliss. I was still teased as the big B. ( or Big baby). I bet with Yogita, that I’d go home alone , without any one to accompany me. She bet to differ. Well, well, it’s not that I can’t travel alone. Just that I am not allowed to. More than winning the bet, I had really wanted to do it myself. Of course not a bus ride!! I had the experience for a lifetime! I’ll try Auto-rickshaws this time.

Sometimes, when both our cars were not around , we used the Auto. I’ve seen Thatha doing the bargaining, never taken the pain to try it myself. So, I’d do the bargaining and travel alone. What’s the big deal ? I did it as simply as I said it. Right in front of Yogita. Of course, I had called up Patti earlier in the day to tell her my friend will drop me.

“No coming by two wheelers!!”, she almost screamed. “ I’ll send your car…”
“No…. Patti … My friend has a car only. She’ll be coming over today. I’ll come….”, I told her. It took a while to convince her.

I got down from the Auto even before I’d reached home. What If Patti was standing in the doorway ? While walking down the street towards home, I was tempted. I had enjoyed my little lie and the independence that I derived through it. Why end the happiness so soon? I checked my watch. Not even two p.m.

I dialed a ten digit number, waited for the ring and waited till the other person picked up.
“Hey. Lalita here, how about meeting at the JavaGreen Café on Usman Road near Panagal Park?”

It took a few minutes to convince my prey for the day. Especially since my victim was quite disinterested. But I get what I want! I begged, pleaded, beseeched, implored, urged and persuaded. Finally received the answer “Sure, I’d love to but I hope it won’t get you in trouble”. Whatever! The answer is a “yes”. Well, who’ll say no to this mistress of deception, baffling queen of charisma? Or will I allow them to ?

I choose to be happy and no one can stop me from being so.

Though it isn’t one, just to amuse myself, I shall consider it as this :-

I had fixed my first date.

With Gautham.

[to be continued] [/tscii:bebb191e4c]

bulb_mani
23rd November 2006, 12:06 AM
[tscii:90dbffc312]Est-ce que Chika Chevy, c'une série courte d'histoire ou vos expériences ou quelque chose est comme les jours de malgudi ou le Spamming ? :? [/tscii:90dbffc312]

chevy
23rd November 2006, 12:11 AM
[tscii:704360def1]BULBU. ... a lu s'il vous plaît la première page. Non seulement cet épisode, le feuilleton entier est purement des travaux de fiction. Pas l'histoire. Je n'ai pas lu malgudi. Ne spammer pas. Pas mes propres expériences aussi. [/tscii:704360def1]

bulb_mani
23rd November 2006, 12:14 AM
Les thats corrects de Chevy fins… je lirai du commencement

Ampoule : Le Boss 8-)

chevy
23rd November 2006, 12:15 AM
[tscii:de3e4a27e2]

Ampoule : Le Boss 8-) are u using a translator ?????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/tscii:de3e4a27e2]

chevy
23rd November 2006, 12:17 AM
[tscii:4d368460dc]
Ampoule : Le Boss 8-) sure ... Mais ne pas oublier de poster vos commentaires.

[/tscii:4d368460dc]

Priyankak
23rd November 2006, 12:30 AM
Oh man!!! Chevy, superb!!! :thumbsup:

very interesting story... keep going... :) soooooper narration.

Querida
23rd November 2006, 12:33 AM
Hey Chevy...uh yeah remember how i said don't say your stories are worthless...well now what are you going to say when you have made me read non-stop from chapter 1 to 11...and enjoying every single bit of it...the best part is that you bring up one really interesting bit and replace it with other stuff so that you wait and wait until you will talk about the one part that you mentioned earlier yet you relish the new parts we get each time....I was hoping throughout that my breaktime doesn't run out cause i wanted to know everything! Your structure though is haphazard that itself is an artform....i know you said it was fictional but you have just enough skill to show it as relatable (uhhh new word sure but i'm sure anyone who read this here could sooooo relate to something in your story) and highly amused at your take on it...ok now i seriously have to get to class....i won't be able to read your other stories until i get time again :cry: especially since it's crunch time here.....oh well so much for needing to stack up on holiday reading....you've earned a fan alright!

chevy
23rd November 2006, 12:35 AM
Oh man!!! Chevy, superb!!! :thumbsup:

very interesting story... keep going... :) soooooper narration. thank you so much priyanka ...

bulb_mani
23rd November 2006, 12:37 AM
[tscii:dde22dc644]Sûr je signalerai mes commentaires… que je lis le premier travail très bon de partie… chevy :D [/tscii:dde22dc644]

chevy
23rd November 2006, 12:41 AM
Hey Chevy...uh yeah remember how i said don't say your stories are worthless...well now what are you going to say when you have made me read non-stop from chapter 1 to 11...and enjoying every single bit of it...the best part is that you bring up one really interesting bit and replace it with other stuff so that you wait and wait until you will talk about the one part that you mentioned earlier yet you relish the new parts we get each time....I was hoping throughout that my breaktime doesn't run out cause i wanted to know everything! Your structure though is haphazard that itself is an artform....i know you said it was fictional but you have just enough skill to show it as relatable (uhhh new word sure but i'm sure anyone who read this here could sooooo relate to something in your story) and highly amused at your take on it...ok now i seriously have to get to class....i won't be able to read your other stories until i get time again :cry: especially since it's crunch time here.....oh well so much for needing to stack up on holiday reading....you've earned a fan alright! That is sooo very true ...

that's what many people tell me that there is no "coherence" .... but what i try to tell is that ... it makes the reader go on ....
bt not many have accepted my way of keeping the reader hanging on to each word.

Also here's another take, does everything in life happen so sequentially??? Is there coherence in the happenings in our day to day life? Don't people appear, disappear and re-appear in our life ? Does life make sense at all ?

Well.. that's my nonsensical way of trying to put sense! bt i guess ultimately it will make sense only if u read each line.. otherwise .. .everythin will seem vague ..
i dunno if i can talk about my own stuff. ... i ll wait for others to comment ..

thanks querida. for ur honest opinion ...

cheers
chevy

chevy
23rd November 2006, 12:50 AM
[tscii:0422b8be5f]Sûr je signalerai mes commentaires… que je lis le premier travail très bon de partie… chevy :D [/tscii:0422b8be5f] je ne comprends pas....

Wibha
23rd November 2006, 07:11 AM
iyyo FRENCH-a niruthungo.onnume purilai..... :oops: :confused2:

chevy it's going on really well...........mmmmmm never xpected gautham to enter :D

crazy
23rd November 2006, 01:30 PM
chevy :clap:

next episode..................:waiting:

ksen
23rd November 2006, 02:29 PM
chevy

How did your patti (that too pure vegetarian) suddenly become "achi" :o

crazy
23rd November 2006, 02:30 PM
chevy

real life'oda confuse pannitta pola
anyway they mean the same, dont they?

chevy
23rd November 2006, 02:31 PM
chevy

How did your patti (that too pure vegetarian) suddenly become "achi" :o hmmm .. .thanks for that .. OMG ... that's really a mistake ..
thanks .. i ll change it ..

chevy
23rd November 2006, 02:35 PM
chevy

anyway they mean the same, dont they? ya .... oui ... c'est vrai :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

chevy
23rd November 2006, 02:37 PM
chevy

anyway they mean the same, dont they? one doubt ... "achi"s lan non veg a ?? no not like that .. i call my grandmoms .. achi and we are a pure veg family ?? puriyala ???

ksen
23rd November 2006, 02:45 PM
one doubt ... "achi"s lan non veg a ?? no not like that .. i call my grandmoms .. achi and we are a pure veg family ?? puriyala ???

Sorry, sorry, I was under that impression. But the way you were referring to your Patti and the general scenario made it look like an orthodox brahmin family :) Just continue :thumbsup:

chevy
23rd November 2006, 02:52 PM
one doubt ... "achi"s lan non veg a ?? no not like that .. i call my grandmoms .. achi and we are a pure veg family ?? puriyala ???

Sorry, sorry, I was under that impression. But the way you were referring to your Patti and the general scenario made it look like an orthodox brahmin family :) Just continue :thumbsup: thanks a helluva lot ... for the correction ...

bis_mala
24th November 2006, 06:02 AM
Well done chevy,
Like to read more from your penmanship.

chevy
24th November 2006, 11:44 PM
[tscii:2f07c3a475]

I recalled the day I met Gautham as I walked along Usman road. Gautham would take a good long fifteen minutes to reach JavaGreen. I walked as slowly as I could yet fast enough , not making it obvious to the pedestrians that I had too much time to spare.

I remembered seeing his slightly creased pair of trousers through tears. I couldn’t decide whether to call it ironed or creased. In Kinshasa, at my old school, most of the teachers were English or American. . There were other nationalities as well. Nevertheless majority of them were the archetypal , traditional type. They had taught us to judge a man by how polished his shoes were or how neatly ironed his clothes were. There were other things that they taught us as well. My mother would often ridicule them, “As if they are training princesses to become queens someday. How does it matter if a guy opens the door of a car or not ? That’s chivalry. Not manners.”
With time, I too, began watching men’s shoes and how polished they were or looking out for the creases in their pants and jumping into conclusions about them.
Funny, I had to see Gautham’s hind limbs before seeing his face!

First impressions? Well it happened too fast. When I first saw those trousers, it looked as if it was owned by a real gentleman. All the creases were perfect. I concluded that the very few wrinkles were because of travel. Probably the voice sent a chill through my spine, so I couldn’t judge further.

“Hey............ who’s this in my old room.”

A very warm, young, manly voice rang through my ears. The voice itself had prejudiced my thinking. I didn’t want to see from where the voice came with my weepy face. Yuck!

It was so spontaneous and open and unexpected when he said,

h, this mirror is too short isn’t it? Need to bend so much to look into it................”

Just as he was talking, he bent down to peep into the mirror or look at me, which I still can’t guess, but I nearly jumped as a fresh, striking face reflected behind me in the mirror. I probably made a very ugly first impression on him. Maybe he was too polite to say that, and remarked , "err.... are you crying?”

With a hundred thoughts running in my mind, I couldn’t move my lips. But really wanted to turn around and say, “Yeah. I am crying. I’ll look better otherwise.”

Sheesh. How stupid to say that.
I simply turned around and responded with a “Hi. Vanga"
I think I even tried smiling and stopped ‘cause he didn’t smile back. Maybe I shouldn’t smile when my face is so awful.

Lallitaaaaaa! Such a handsome guy. Each action of yours is a thumbs-down!!!!!!! Act fast, girl!! Think!!!!

I wiped my face with my hand and put up a slight smile again hoping he’d respond this time. I tried to think of something intelligent to say but he had already taken his turn.

“Hi. Are you the, er.. African?”
“What??????”, I almost screamed. Of course, I’d love to be an African though I am not one, but the way he had asked sounded like, “ Are you a vagabond? Beggar?”

“My mom was telling that …….”
“Shut up. Who are you? How did you get in here? ”, I yelled.
Of course, who would get into my house without Patti knowing. It is definitely Patti’s guests and I know who her guests were this time. I knew he was my Athai’s son, about whom Patti had already glorified with praises.

“Hey, this is my house. I am not some street dog . Wait. Stop it. I thought you were my African cousin … That’s why I asked. Chill !!”
I grimaced at him. He went on, “ Yeah. Sorry, I couldn’t see your face first so I thought it was her. You don’t look like a Pygmy. Hehehe.”

“ Pattiiiiii……. Thatha… PATTTTIIIII”

I got up and walked towards the door just when he ran up in front of me and said, “ Wait a minute, whom are you calling Patti? This is my Patti’s house.”

I wanted to scream back but he was already moving out. “Okay girl. I’ll get out. Bye. Chill.”.

I shut the door and just I was about to swear aloud, he was back again, “ Hey forget that i came in okay? Sorry… ”

Before I could retort he disappeared.

I sat fuming with ire. I usually don’t judge people by the way they look. But too much of classic English novels had bigoted my outlook. I admit that “tall and handsome” does make my head turn but I make it a point not to jump into opinions about a person before I have conversed with them for quite sometime. But sometimes, looks do prejudice my thoughts. I can’t help it at that instant. Later, I reason it out and try to think of what the person had said and then opinionate about the person. Sometimes, even before I try to judge a person, he or she would have said something that would make me seethe with anger.

I brushed my hair and made myself a little more presentable. I wanted to open the door and run into the living room to check out my relatives. I recalled Patti’s words and decided against it. I sat back feeling like a magical Harry Potter whom my Muggle Patti was trying to hide from the Muggle world.
I envisaged the scence. Patti would say, “Ohhhhh What will happen if everyone comes to know that we have a witch in our family. What will happen to our Manam? Our Mariyathai?.....”

That made me smile. I was still dreaming and smiling at my reflection in the mirror when he appeared again and I went on smiling at the mirror. He smiled thinking I was smiling at him and stopped smiling when he had figured out that I was actually dreaming, when I went on smiling without any other reaction still holding the brush in my hand. Sheesh! Again I make a fool of myself. I quickly gathered myself and turned around just when a few more faces appeared at the door.
“Hiiiii. Are you our cousin? How nice. We’ve never met before naaa?”
It came from a tall pretty girl with a face and voice that carried the same charm.
Patti stood looking at me with no expression. The two other adults behind her stood like body guards.
“Yeah. I haven’t been introduced to you ”, I said looking at Patti, “Or not allowed to be introduced rather”
Patti quickly responded.(Smart Lady, I’m proud to have such a quick-witted grandmother.)

“Hey Lalli, this is your Athai and Mama and they are your cousins. Raja, this is our Pappa’s daughter. See…”
(Yeah, see me. But please do not touch. Fragile! Huh! Am I a show piece?)

The man behind Patti growled, “ Oh this is Pappa’s pappa ? Your name is Lalita? Only Lalita or some Lalita Jennifer Something ? He he he… No ma, these foreigners have such funny ways of naming right?” ( Foreigners? Say strangers, no problem. It’s okay you don’t have to acknowledge me as your neice.)
Patti laughed as if he had said something really hilarious.
“What are you studying Lalli?”, the lady beside him shrieked in a high pitched voice.
“B.Com”
“Oh B.Com only? Okay.”
“Yeah, but these days B.Com is pretty good. It’s got quite a lot of demand. They keep the students very busy. Today business demands very well qualified people no? And she’s doing CA also...”, Patti said. It was the first time in the day that she had said something in favor of me. The conversation went on for a few minutes and I stood like sculpture that was being scrutinized before purchase.

When Patti, her son and his wife left, the cheery girl as well as the handsome guy, stayed back in my room. They introduced themselves as Parvathi and Gautham. We sat on my bed and settled into a friendly conversation. I talked with a tone that sounded a little hurt. They spoke as if they were trying to amend the statements made by their parents. I decided I would e-mail Mom as soon as they left me to find solace within the walls of my room but it seemed as if they would never leave. I hoped they’d feel tired and leave but they didn’t.

Sometime during the chat, Parvathi went out to get water and I sat quite uncomfortably. I looked around the room as if I’d never seen it before. I had thought it would be rude to ask. Somehow, the anger within me hadn’t subsided yet, and I didn’t care how it sounded to Gautham. I was almost going to say, “Aren’t you going to leave my room” , but I simply asked, “ Aren’t you tired with travel. Why don’t you take a nap?”

“Yeah. Very tired.” He coolly stretched himself and fell back on the bed. Again his open forthright approach and carefree attitude turned me off. I quickly got up from the bed and began pretending as if I was cleaning my room. I removed the books from the bed and as I did it, it seemed to me that I was trying to make it more comfortable for the hero. Sheesh. I arranged the contents of the dressing table and ……
Whatever. Time passed in silence.
Parvathi was back with a bottle of water. She jumped back on the bed and remarked, “Gautham , go sleep elsewhere if you want to. We are going to chat.”
“No go on. I am just lying down.”

We chatted endlessly. Chembarathi brought our meals to my room. I don’t remember when we had fallen asleep. We woke up the next morning to find all the lights on.

The next few days went on well till Perima arrived and voila! More cousins. They all stayed in my room all day and night. Initially I found it ill-mannered to stay without my invitation. Later, I chided myself having thought like that. Jay anna, Jo and Vaishu akka , Paro and of course, our mesmerizing and available-at-anytime Gautham. I could wake up Gautham and sometimes even, Jay anna even at the dead of the night to chat with me. Jo and Vaishu akka pampered me as if I were their doll and Paro, smiley and adorable always. Wow! I really had big, adoring family. I ignored my aunts’ and uncles’ attitudes towards me. Patti was totally unapproachable. She was too excited to have her children and grandchildren around. I felt like I had been in Chennai for years.

I recalled all this as I walked to JavaGreen and sat in a corner table waiting for Gautham.

There was much more to recall and feel happy about. Again, I had been dreaming and smiling at no one, not realizing the same old charming Flirt King walking in.

“Hey Dreamy! The beach would have been a more idealistic choice. Anyhow, what are we going to do now?”

[ to be continued] [/tscii:2f07c3a475]

crazy
25th November 2006, 04:13 PM
:) :D :P :lol2: :wink:

ksen
25th November 2006, 05:04 PM
Ada, ada, ada.. enna flashback :D SP solra maadiri tortoise surul......... :thumbsup: :cool2:

chevy
25th November 2006, 05:19 PM
Ada, ada, ada.. enna flashback :D SP solra maadiri tortoise surul......... :thumbsup: :cool2: meaning ? apadina ?

crazy
25th November 2006, 06:04 PM
Ada, ada, ada.. enna flashback :D SP solra maadiri tortoise surul......... :thumbsup: :cool2:

mosquito coil :D .................flashback :)

chevy
25th November 2006, 08:13 PM

mosquito coil :D .................flashback :) oh . .when did SP say that ?

malsi
25th November 2006, 09:28 PM
nice chevy !

ksen
25th November 2006, 11:37 PM

SP always says that :D
In old movies they use a spiral to denote flashback :)

chevy
25th November 2006, 11:41 PM

SP always says that :D
In old movies they use a spiral to denote flashback :) oh okay .. i ve posted my first entry for the hub contest thingy

Wibha
26th November 2006, 01:10 AM
:2thumbsup: :clap:

ramky
30th November 2006, 05:23 AM
[tscii:becaf5cc51]chevy : nice incisive humour :) and the casual style of writing makes it more interesting :thumbsup:

whew, took me quite a while to read all the pages - after so many days !

“Hey Dreamy! The beach would have been a more idealistic choice. Anyhow, what are we going to do now?”

Gautham's words seem to hint at something ;-)

[/tscii:becaf5cc51]

chevy
10th December 2006, 03:24 PM
[tscii:797204c498]

Perhaps it was the most memorable day in life ever since I had come to Chennai. I spent an hour at JavaGreen Café with the Royal Leader of Chivalry . We walked up the entire North Usman Road and then the full length of Habibullah Road and again back to North Usman Road. At the end of my street, I turned around to say bye but he walked on.

“Excuse me? It’s my grandmother’s house all right? She won’t say anything. Come”

I tagged behind him as if I was going to someone else’s house. He simply marched into the kitchen saying, “ Hi!!Patti!!! Where are you?”

Patti was surprised and totally forgot to ask me why I was late. Before she could get suspicious I told her I was held up at college with some work and so, me and my friend left the college pretty late.

“And I came to hang out with my friends around here, thought I’ll say hi to you just then she was coming in too….” , Gautham continued, “ Do you always come home this late? I thought your college gets over at one thirty or was it two thirty? I forgot….”

Ah! We managed to put a great show. Gautham gallantly walked up to his old room which is now mine. We sat there and chatted for more than an hour. He went on as amiably as a friend for more than a decade would. I barely felt that I knew him for less than a four months. I tried to imagine that he asked me out and that really made me laugh. In fact, I wondered what he thought about my sudden invitation to JavaGreen Café. Of course, it was meant to be a friendly rendezvous and a getaway from Patti’s eye for me. I just wondered what he thought. I imagine a lot to amuse myself these days. Date with Gautham!!! Nastiest imagination, indeed!!

Gautham had done his under-graduation in Chennai too. During his college days he stayed with Patti here. Now he’s got his job and he’s got accommodation. He had to cook pots of lies to convince Patti that he must live in the accommodation provided. In fact it’s just that he wanted to live alone and enjoy his life to it’s core.

Later in the evening, after Gautham left, Patti came to tell me some more memoirs of hers. Good old times, as they call it. I think, (I doubt, at least) Patti has decided to put up with me, at least she’ll have some one to talk to. She recalled the days when Gautham stayed here, in the very same room where I am now. I felt as if she meant to say it still belongs to him.

Ever since Patti tried to hush me into the house and keep me away from the sight of the rest of the family before Diwali I had developed slight dislike and hatred towards her. I wrote mails about the same incident to Mom and Dad who are now planning to migrate back to Ohio, my place of birth. I flinch each time I think Dad and Mom are no longer in Kinshasa. I’ll never get back to the place where I grew up, the place where my most cherished memories took place, the place where all my childhood friends are and will always be, the place where Sean is………

[to be continued]

[/tscii:797204c498]

Querida
11th December 2006, 01:11 AM
wow your character seems so undecided..it doesn't seem like a plot at all but like it's happening...very nice :)

Wibha
11th December 2006, 01:27 AM
chevy complete da story fast........i wanna no wats gonna happen

chevy
11th December 2006, 03:03 PM
wow your character seems so undecided..it doesn't seem like a plot at all but like it's happening...very nice :) That's reality isn' t it ? You take a firm decision or form an opinion about someone but soon you realize you are wrong and you are forced to change your views.

chevy
11th December 2006, 03:06 PM
chevy complete da story fast........i wanna no wats gonna happen I will. :lol:

crazy
12th December 2006, 01:39 PM

daffodil
4th January 2007, 01:56 AM
Eagerly waiting..!! :D

swathy
4th January 2007, 02:08 PM
Good Going.

chevy :thumbsup:

chevy
1st February 2007, 12:12 AM
[tscii:7387811fbf]

To: gregarious@webmail.com

Sub: Re: where the hell are you?

Hey babe! Sorry couldn’t mail ya as I was really busy. Do you realize it’s been almost three years since we thought of each other? You left after finishing the lower level of The Ecole Secondaire right ? I stayed on for a few months before going mad without your company ;). Just kidding! We shifted back to Pennsylvania soon after you left ( I don’t think your parents must have told you). I heard your parents shifted out too? They are in Ohio? Are you there too? (I never thought you’d leave Kinshasa forever ‘cause you love the place so much). Anyhow, you left to some boarding school in India didn’t you? What are you doing now? I bet you must have realized India is a great place. Any place is better than Kinshasa with all that violence !!!!! Puh-lease!! And are you still there or in Ohio?

I am right now holidaying in South Africa. Jo-berg has totally, wholly and completely changed my view of Africa. It’s amazing. I’ll mail you soon about the places I’ve visited. It’s great!

Take care,

Sean :)

Ps: Sorry Lalita, I forget your pet name, lily ? Lully ?
[/tscii:7387811fbf]

chevy
1st February 2007, 12:15 AM
[tscii:b1e781f16b]

To: gregarious@webmail.com

Sub: Re: long time!!

Hey lalli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know how much I miss you? I haven’t been able to check e-mails for a long time. That’s the reason for the late reply.

Kinshasa is changing a lot. You must have heard about the elections and all.
Remember Jordan? The white guy who attended TESOL and then left to United Kingdom for higher studies? He left when we were still in Ecole Primaire. He came back here for some official purpose. I ran into him just a few days back while getting ready to visit Fatema’s baby. You remember Fatema? You will I am sure. She is now married. She married a few months back. I am happy my parents aren’t using the M-word! ( yeah , you must have guessed it .. "m"arriage!!)

God! I want to finish my education. I got my Diplome d'Etat. What are you doing?
Please….. keep in touch.

Load of love,

Miss ya ....

Your best friend from Congo....

Insharah

:) :)
[/tscii:b1e781f16b]

crazy
1st February 2007, 10:28 PM

chevy
22nd March 2007, 01:17 PM
[tscii:1ca61ba642]

To: yfearwenimhere@webmail.com
Sub: Glad you mailed!

Hi Sean!

I never expected to receive email from you. Nevertheless, I am really glad you took the effort. You left shortly after I did? I had returned for a short break and my folks told me that you had gone on a Safari ? Anyhow , how is Pennsylvania treating you? You don’t have to crib about Kinshasa or the Congolese way of life or administrative system anymore. Of course , I’ve heard South Africa is awesome and you’ve got to be crazy if you didn’t like it there. I am in Chennai now. If you don’t know where that is , Google search it and learn more. I am stuck in this totally depressing college with a totally disorganized administrative system. Education is something Indians value more than anything else. You went mad without my company??? You know what? I read that line a dozen times between tearful eyes!! I am happy you could at least think of me for a few days. It’s been three years since we thought of each other?? Perhaps three years since you thought of me. I missed you and your chivalry and I still do. I don’t really know how to express this indescribable feeling but I often hear myself saying , “ I wish sean was here” .
Thanks a lot for mailing!! You’ve really made my day.
Miss ya
Lalli( thanks for not remembering my nick)

[/tscii:1ca61ba642]

crazy
22nd March 2007, 01:19 PM

Lambretta
9th April 2007, 10:43 PM
hmm, unaku saree's pathi niraiya therinji iruku... but, naan therinjikittu enna seiradhunu theriyala :cry: (JK)[/tscii]
Yean?? Kattikudatha?? :huh: :roll: :P
Unless ur a guy of course... :oops:........in tat case marry a gal who'll know wat to do w/ wat she knows...... :wink: :P

Lambretta
9th April 2007, 11:00 PM
[tscii:42f55e085d]
She told me that they created the world’s longest sari, and got into the Guinness Book of records.
Uh, I thot it was Pothy's who made tat?? :?

http://www.chennaionline.com/fashion-lifestyle/News/2005/08pothys.asp

The max. no. of colours one was RMKV's tho....popularised by Jothika ("intha colour" :P :) )

Recently the Kumaran Silks’ “Ulley Velliye” (meaning inside outside.)sari was one exception where the innovation did not come from Rmkv. The feature of this sari is that changes colors. When in sunlight it is one color and when indoors it is in another. Seriously, thanks to Rmkv and we’ve now got sari with “features”.
Wow, sounds cooooool!! :D I'd luv to buy one like this (no Not for myself of course! :roll: :P )[/tscii:42f55e085d]

Neways chevy.....jus finished reading ur story fully until so far (had first read upto page 2-3).....didnt realize the time here! Truly captivating! :thumbsup: :D
Eager to read the cont..... :D

killua
8th September 2007, 12:43 AM
Oh!
where's the rest of the story or is the abrupt end. & they lived happily ever after, sean & lalli...........

(ps. wonderfully written, the style, the flow, the content, the twist............... you get the drift)

chevy
8th September 2007, 10:51 AM
Oh!
where's the rest of the story or is the abrupt end. & they lived happily ever after, sean & lalli...........

(ps. wonderfully written, the style, the flow, the content, the twist............... you get the drift) no ... that's not the endin.. i ll be postin it a lil later... and thank u killua.... welcome to the hub

killua
10th September 2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks Chevy, (for the welcome & for consenting to finish the story).
The Lalli character seems quite "masoom" (more than just innocent, positive connotation), yet at the same time there's an innate chicanery present.[/quote]

killua
26th September 2007, 08:29 PM
Chevy,
The crowd is cheering, not just the after effect of the w.c win but in anticipation of the next chtp. of "this is chennai afterall"

chevy
1st October 2007, 03:13 PM
within a month..for SURE.. :) , exams around the corner now... :(

killua
2nd October 2007, 06:59 PM

All the best for the exams :D

[Better to be on the wishing end for this one.
There are times when i wake up from exam nightmares, sweating profusely and everything, & then feel extremely relieved that I was only dreaming, after that "babies didn't sleep better".]

killua
2nd October 2007, 07:00 PM

All the best for the exams :D

[Better to be on the wishing end for this one.
There are times when i wake up from exam nightmares, sweating profusely and everything, & then feel extremely relieved that I was only dreaming, after that "babies didn't sleep better".]

chevy
20th October 2007, 02:11 PM
[tscii:4de594c6f6]
She told me that they created the world’s longest sari, and got into the Guinness Book of records.
Uh, I thot it was Pothy's who made tat?? :?

http://www.chennaionline.com/fashion-lifestyle/News/2005/08pothys.asp

The max. no. of colours one was RMKV's tho....popularised by Jothika ("intha colour" :P :) )

Recently the Kumaran Silks’ “Ulley Velliye” (meaning inside outside.)sari was one exception where the innovation did not come from Rmkv. The feature of this sari is that changes colors. When in sunlight it is one color and when indoors it is in another. Seriously, thanks to Rmkv and we’ve now got sari with “features”.
Wow, sounds cooooool!! :D I'd luv to buy one like this (no Not for myself of course! :roll: :P )[/tscii:4de594c6f6]

Neways chevy.....jus finished reading ur story fully until so far (had first read upto page 2-3).....didnt realize the time here! Truly captivating! :thumbsup: :D
Eager to read the cont..... :D Well RMKV set the first record, pothy's set the record after that and in between the records i wrote my story. Haha .

chevy
20th October 2007, 02:11 PM
[tscii:2bc9b8f276]17

The CPT exam was written, passed and forgotten. So was the big gang of friends at the CA institute. As time passed I became more anxious about the “passing clouds” in my life. Especially in my CA class. People sat together during lectures and when the sessions got over, they moved on in life. However, even if we ran into each other at the CA Insti, we’d talk like we’ve been together like always. Perhaps this is why the saying, “true friends can make is that they can grow separately without growing apart”.

Nevertheless, I had a large number of acquaintances.
I had to pursue articleship part-time in the afternoons, as I was a day-scholar for the B.com course. This gave me lesser time for myself. I attended college in the mornings, worked in the afternoon, and attended coaching classes for CA in the evenings. Colleagues, who were also, articled assistants like me, came from varied backgrounds and we established stronger bonds than the CA class friends.

College life, proved to be more appealing as days passed. Particularly because Ms. Shailaja was no longer in the college. I discovered two people who came within my wavelength, and finally settled in with a small gang. We were perhaps the coolest and most broadminded trio in the class.

I spent the entire first year of my college hoping to re-establish friendship with Sean. His unresponsiveness towards my offer, made me disappointed and I thought and worried about it all the time. Gautham got a job and went away for training and then his posts were forever changing that I lost count of how many times he’s moved and even don’t remember where he is currently. Jay anna got irritated with the “Sean Story” and debarred any conversation relating to it, in future.

“He is the truest “passing cloud”. How could you get so concerned over a friendship that lasted barely weeks? “, He argued.

“What do you mean few weeks? We are still friends. We just lost touch.” I argued back.

I spent timeless moments recalling and worrying the same to my best friends in college, Divya and Vidya. Divya had told me write to him expressing openly that I missed him. Vidya gave no comments but promised that either I would get with him or get over him, either of which are favorable to me. Though it seemed to me that I never exactly liked Sean or regarded him high, but I still wished him back in life.

Being a CA student, such inane thoughts were highly unnecessary, but I tended to worry more and think as often as nearly every minute of my life. It altered my way of judgment, abridged my speed, flawed my humor, changed my style of writing, choice of reading and almost everything.

I know it’s not love. Not crush. Not friendship. But there is something troubling my mind. Life had changed so much within months. Everyone has reached their shore and set on new journeys whilst I am still stranded in my boat in the middle of the river.
[/tscii:2bc9b8f276]

crazy
20th October 2007, 02:27 PM
Everyone has reached their shore and set on new journeys whilst I am still stranded in my boat in the middle of the river.

Fire111999
20th October 2007, 02:44 PM
lots of reflections...

chevy
20th October 2007, 06:14 PM
[tscii:e6f9463480]

Patti’s attitude towards me became more gracious as months passed. More so, because the house was quite empty for most of the time, because of my hectic schedule. When I returned home for dinner, she insisted I had it with her. Thatha kept to himself and had clue about what went on in the house. I took his route and cared for nothing at home. My parents called me more often and kept reminding me that my focus was to be my CA, the toughest professional course in the country and it would be their pride if I qualified at the first shot and a big shame if I didn’t. Considering my relatives’ opinions about my mother, her marriage to a non-Indian, me and our family as a whole, what was to become my future was the base that would decide whether I was raised well or not.

At the studies forefront, my grades slipped, for what was once regarded as class-topping, now became average. However, I made up for that, with increased and successful participation in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. I cheered up my vicinity with my neck-bleeding lame jokes or comical memoirs.

By the time, our first year came to a royal finale, I had mould into the community and was finally accept as one among them without being seen as multiethnic eccentric specimen of the Homo sapiens. The end of year tour , competitions and cultural programmes added to bringing our class together as we all yelled and cheered our participating friends and booed our competitors.
College life had just plunged into a full swing. I looked forward to those five hours of college as it was my least stressing part of the day. Articleship and CA coaching classes were on a more solemn tenor.

My parents had settled comfortably in the States and my cousins, grandparents and new friends were my new life. I knew I have never been more socially and financially assured than the present, yet I was emotionally low all the time for reasons inexplicable.

[/tscii:e6f9463480]

chevy
20th October 2007, 06:19 PM
[tscii:92453cea83]

I spent the summer vacation with my parents and taught at a school for children with special needs. I needed community service experience for my college as well as an added advantage for applying to premier universities for my post graduation in management. I attended dinners and parties to make myself cognizant to my parent’s new acquaintances. The co-volunteers at the school were an assortment of students like me who worked for the community service certificate, social workers, housewives who were too bored to sit at home and a few retired and aged members. If I had a story about my life, they had theirs too. The most enriching part was the narratives of their experiences in life.

The vacation passed slowly and pleasantly and importantly without me stressing my mind about Sean. Though I had called him twice before my vacation both of which he had cut down quickly saying he was busy, I assured myself that he’d become congenial once his “busy” phase was over.

I found it amusing that he could be more “busy” than I was. Pursuing two heavy courses simultaneously coupled with work, I was engaged throughout the day. I had reached a stage where I don’t think any other student could be busier than a CA student, and I was doing B.com and CA.

“Busy” was a word I had never entertained in my life. Neither did my parents. When do you say you are busy? When you are in midst of some work? Supposing your near and dear one is critical and in emergency, would you still say I am busy and not attend to them? You would immediately rush to them isn’t it? Why so? Aren’t you busy? Well, you aren’t because they are important to you. So technically when you are needed by someone and you respond saying you are busy I take it that I am not important to you.

Somehow a ray of hope allowed me to tolerate the word from him. I returned to Chennai and life got hectic as usual.

[/tscii:92453cea83]

crazy
20th October 2007, 08:58 PM

btr
28th October 2007, 09:37 PM
Dear chevy

yours is good product. Been wanting to tell this for sometime but could find time only now. :wink: keep up the good work! :D

chevy
28th October 2007, 10:48 PM
Dear chevy

yours is good product. Been wanting to tell this for sometime but could find time only now. :wink: keep up the good work! :D Thank you BTR !!! and welcome to the hub. I guess this is your first post ?!

btr
1st November 2007, 06:50 PM
Dear Chevy,

Been waiting to see/read more of the stranger Sean. :D . well i guess u r busy...but u dont like 'busy' to be used :lol: ?well well, let us hear from you. :roll:

btr
1st November 2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks Chevy for the warm welcome. :) I should have acknowledged it earlier. But ... :? i kinda slipped....well let us have mails from Sean through you soon. :wink:

chevy
4th November 2007, 12:04 AM
[tscii:2afe36a684]20

Second year of college began on a more frustrating note. I was finding it difficult to cope with the hectic schedule and in midst of my constant worry over “why Sean didn’t respond”, I was highly temperamental and that strained my social and domestic relations. Physically, I was forever on the move, attending classes or work, but mentally I was permanently stuck to one thought. Why would anyone ignore me? I reconsidered our days spent together, recalled our conversations and wondered if it were those petty arguments that he kept in mind?

I wrote a glum apology to him for which he never responded. Sheepishly I wondered if he is possibly not alive! I mean why does he not respond? What’s wrong? What ever went wrong? I waited for weeks for a reply. Tried his number that permanently ended in some answer machine and I was charged for all them. I hated myself each time I rang him ‘cause I paid for nothing and it was hard on my meager student income from the Articleship.
I resent the apology for which he replied shortly saying it’s all right and all’s well.

Unable to comprehend what could possibly be the reason, I spilled the beans to Gautham. Though he was comparatively more empathetic than Jay anna, he too, observed that I worried over nothing.

“I am shocked that you didn’t care so much when you accidentally pierced your hand with the butter knife, you didn’t care when you were not allowed to go and freak out with your friends in Bangalore, you didn’t worry when air tickets weren’t available, someone who told me, “I prefer not to drink or commit into a relationship ‘cause I don’t like it when anything or anyone takes control over me” is now actually worried that someone is ignoring you? Come on, Lalli”

It was appalling to hear that I went against my own policy and I awkwardly passed excuses to shroud the same. I lost count of the number of people I began spilling my worry to, and forgot what I had said and what I wanted to. I ended up often repeating what I had said and other mundane mistakes I couldn’t forgive myself on. I promised myself I would become silent and reserved , at least that wouldn’t make me go around blabber my disturbing issue everywhere. But being silent went against the well-established cheerful, talkative and entertaining Lalli-image.

Despite my outgoing persona, I usually kept my personal matters to myself and got over them easily. Heeding to the “pour your heart out” advice was really a big mistake. ‘Cause pouring my heart out was just never ending. No body understood, nothing was helpful and once it was disclosed, it was always the topic of discussion and I was just tied down talking the same issue, and once it became apparent that the other person thought I was crazy over nothing, I just felt so helpless and “poured it out” again to another.

I knew I was increasingly opening my mouth and proving my stupidity and I hated that it spoilt my trademark image of a combination of extremes – nerdy, fun-loving, amusing, informatively-boring, gregarious et al.

Now I was just …… I don’t know what I’ve become and where this is heading.

Soon, I began to entertain doubts on my own sanity.
[/tscii:2afe36a684]

crazy
4th November 2007, 12:09 AM

chevy
4th November 2007, 12:24 AM
[tscii:86fa6274e7]21

The monsoon had come again. Vidya, Divya and me spent our break time outside, sitting below any shade that sheltered our Tiffin boxes from the rain yet allowed us to lunch under the comforting weather.

Our peppy girly talks to brainstorming discussions fused with the sound of falling water and the sweet smell of wet ground, made it an invaluable experience each day.

Thirteen of April and it was a Friday. We decided to evoke all the evil spirits on this so called very unlucky, dangerous day. Whilst many stayed in to play safe on a thirteenth that was Friday, we went out for a girly night out to Kaveri’s. The only restaurant that won’t kick us out even if we sat there for four or more hours at a stretch anytime. Even during peak hours, it’s a spacious outlet, so no one is standing at your collar waiting for you to swipe your plate clean.

When we went in and self served our dinner it was nearly nine P.M. Fast moving crowd, and that gave us more variety to bird watch. Despite being a self-service outlet, the maître d'hôtel came up to ask what next? We seemed like we’d settle there forever.

“We better get a drink or something, lest they actually tell us to leave” , Vidya said.

Standing at the counter, I noticed a dark, tall but shorter than me, guy at the other counter staring at me. I couldn’t ignore him pointing his finger towards my direction and whispering to his gang of buddies.

I badly wanted to communicate and confirm what I’d noticed to Divya and couldn’t being mobbed in the crowd. As we stood at the delivery counter, we bird-watched an athletic built, tall, striking, well dressed, but sadly, married guy playing with this children , and voila! He spoke Tamil! Not bad, there are good looking Tamil guys after all.

So there is hope for us, observed Divya. And we giggled at the existence of men other than those whose build, in our secretive opinions, were Actor Dhanush, premarriage and Actor Vijaykanth postmarriage.

Suddenly Divya slowed in speech and wasn’t looking at me. She then became silent and looked past me.

As I turned around to see what caught her attention, she quickly turned my face back to facing her.

“Why is that guy going on staring at you?”
[/tscii:86fa6274e7]

btr
4th November 2007, 12:45 AM
Dear Chevy,

wow! :notworthy: That was cool.I liked the way you expressed the helpless situation faced at the hotels"waiting to wipe our plates clean". :roll: thanks for prompt continuation, but the waiting is too long :fatigue: ....for the entry of Sean! i know i have to wait. :argh:

killua
4th November 2007, 06:02 AM
Hi Chevy

Thanks for churning out so many chapters with after burner efficiency. if Chevrolets were so efficient, they would really be very efficient :D

(ps. i wrote this before you posted 20 & 21)

Here are my 2 cents (as the saying in the west goes, makes one wonder, "they really know how much their opinions are worth)

Starting chpt 17, there is a noticeable difference in tone, almost as if the events are being narrated rather passively, in a dispassionate phlegmatic undertone. it's after all lalli's diary entry and she is feeling emotionally low. [kudos if this was your intention, else kindly overlook]

the quick acknowledgment and dismissal of events towards the start of 17 gave the impression that many years could have passed between this and the prev. 'dear diary' entry, and yet in chtp 18 only the 1st yr of college is over (meaning many more months of goody college raconteurs)

and sean for some reason gives off "the cut on the top of the mouth that would go away, if only you stopped poking it with your tongue" feeling.

top notch on the parents' guilt trip.

would like to hear some of her neck bleeding lame jokes though, something like. why is CA so difficult? cuz if it was AC it would be much cooler.

Waiting to hear more about the guy that, let her learn about not judging people too soon (the band troupe guy)

the story seems to be taking an abrupt turn, just when you started developing a few what seemed like central characters, pretty patti, charlatan gautham.....

will wait to see what other turns you have for us.

oh & good catch on gandhiyan vs. killua being an assasin!

with 20 & 21 Lalli's seems to be whining a little

chevy
4th November 2007, 12:20 PM
[tscii:fd18fe9e08]Hey Killua

Thank you so much for your reviews.

Well, I must admit you have been quite right about that "change". Thanks for noticing it as well noticing that I do admit the time gap and dismiss the change in course of events and attitude, in the start of the 17th.
However, let me highlight a few lines in the 17th and 18th for you.

The CPT exam was written, passed and forgotten. So was the big gang of friends at the CA institute. As time passed I became more anxious about the “passing clouds” in my life

In the 17th

I spent the entire first year of my college hoping to re-establish friendship with Sean

Well, there was nothing else that took Lalli’s interest or time in the first year, other than that in response to your many more months of goody college raconteurs.

Hats off, to your apt way of putting it
Sean for some reason gives off "the cut on the top of the mouth that would go away, if only you stopped poking it with your tongue feeling Had Lalli been made to realize that, she wouldn’t have exhausted her youth and “once gone, lost forever” valuable college life, over this and there would have been more chapters on her youth and exuberance during the first year.

While the 17th stands at the finishing stage of the first year, 18th declares it over with,
By the time, our first year came to a royal finale,…

Still, in real time, amidst my studies and work, I do this leisure writing off and on. Thus, I am confident you'll have a better observation and opinion about lack of coherence. I will still revise all the chapters when I find time. Thank you so much.

Regards and Diwali Wishes.
Chevy

ps:
apologies the name misinterpretation[/tscii:fd18fe9e08]

crazy
4th November 2007, 02:38 PM
He spoke Tamil! Not bad, there are good looking Tamil guys after all.

:?

chevy
4th November 2007, 05:45 PM
[tscii:bb59887e0d]22

I recalled my first monsoon experience in India. Patti still maintained her standard “Bajii” with hot chilly “Chutney” whenever it rained. I relished it with no surprise. By now, I’d got used to the Indian cuisine and being occupied full-time, I just ate to keep my car moving.

There was this insecurity contained within me that kept me silent when at home. I wrote and spoke less to Mom and Dad, who tried more frequently to reach me, given that Patti had resorted to complain to about my increasing change in attitude. Though Mom, was extremely delighted at Patti’s concern over me, I just trashed it saying that was just a selfish statement as she was bored without my offering her a listening ear to her reminiscences and her conservative attitude towards the happy, lively, educated Indian youth, living in today’s latte-fuelled, metropolitan lifestyles, much of which was the lifestyle I lived!

Friday, the thirteenth, in April, had initially freaked us out! The “staring guy” at Kaveri’s had followed us to tables and sat on the very next. Consciously we spoke less and sipped our drink in low tones. But his ceaseless staring got on our nerves and a very short-tempered Divya went up to him and demanded, “So do we owe you anything? Why are you going on staring at us?”

The guy raised one brow and sneered at his mates who at the other end of the restaurant.

“You think you can go on doing what you please and you assumed we’d do nothing is it?”, Divya yelled out, this time loud enough to catch the attention of the whole restaurant.

Before much pandemonium could break out, Vidya and I went up and Vidya softly inquired, “ Any issues? You kept looking at us so…”

The chap mellowed her placidness for a moment and sneered again when his cronies signaled to him. Clearing his throat, he queried,

“Hmmm. I guess we’ve met at someplace before?”

“Yeah. I guess we have. That’s why I don’t go there any longer.”

Vidya replied firmly and walked off.

I and Divya giggled as we followed our quick-witted comrade out of Kaveri’s.

[/tscii:bb59887e0d]

crazy
4th November 2007, 07:27 PM
:lol:

chevy
4th November 2007, 08:11 PM
[tscii:d2a4adc7e3]23

Fourteenth of May and it was a Monday. Heavy rains lashed into our house and I had to wade through to get in or get out of home. In the evening, Patti ordered Chembarathi to get someone to place a flat wooden board from the road to the entrance. The coriander plants were all washed off. Mango season was in and Patti got bags of mangoes from relatives from the village-side. Homegrown mangoes were aromatic enough for me to be able to smell them being cut in the kitchen right from the entrance. I didn’t volunteer to ask who the relatives were and turned a deaf ear to Patti when she volunteered herself. I recalled her indifferent attitude towards me and the attempts to keep me away from the rest of the family initially, though by now, I did understand why she did that. Why should inter-caste, inter-religion or inter-language be a problem? Haven’t my parents proved success in such a marriage with several years of togetherness? They are great socialists who would work for the pure pleasure of delivering the best service. Despite having most of their benevolent qualities, I had changed pretty much in India. With people who’d be kind enough to allow any one to spend for them, I couldn’t manage with what I had. Transport was one major money eater and telephone was the next. Socializing was third. And it was just not enough. I considered doing some telemarketing job or some online work after my articleship hours. But time was so insufficient and more important than cash, so I decided against it. Fine, I’ll limit my socializing. And Talk less. Work more.

This year’s Monsoon had a solemn effect over me when I was alone. During college hours, or when Divya or Vidya were at my place, the sound of falling water, the nature’s music I loved the most, seemed to have an enchanting effect over me. While, we chirruped in non-stop in Tamil or English or Tanglish (Both mixed), the rains lashed the ground in rhythmic “shshsh” music and the clouded, grey sky had a cool, black out effect in our single windowed second year classroom which made our lecturers clueless as to whether our eyes were open or shut. We made muffled noises and heaved about to show activity if any lecturer screamed (yawning along too), “Girls! Are you here?”

When Divya and Vidya were over at my place, we stood sat out in the balcony and chatted as Chembarathi brought in at regular intervals, Patti’s adaptation of Tomato Soup (which was boiled and salted, diluted tomato paste) which we peppered before sipping and of course the standard “Bajji” , or sometimes , “Vada” or “Pakoras” or whichever was that day’s special at home.

Considering at we just had two more years to go, the three of us, spent more time together and I enjoyed the effortless and cheerful manner in which the three of us got along. Sometimes, I wondered why we hadn’t befriended each other this close in the first year. I would have saved me from those series of “passing clouds”. Sometimes I wondered if this was a passing cloud too? Crossing my finger! No, please!

The rain time, when I was alone was entirely different.
It was no state of euphoria.
The dimmed sky forecasted a “life is going to be this dark” option towards me.
The rain thrashed the soil as if deteriorating me at my roots, weakening my strengths.

[/tscii:d2a4adc7e3]

crazy
4th November 2007, 08:14 PM

killua
5th November 2007, 02:27 AM
[tscii]Hey Killua

[quote]The CPT exam was written, passed and forgotten. So was the big gang of friends at the CA institute. As time passed I became more anxious about the “passing clouds” in my life

In the 17th

I spent the entire first year of my college hoping to re-establish friendship with Sean

Well, there was nothing else that took Lalli’s interest or time in the first year, other than that in response to your many more months of goody college raconteurs. [quote]

You are right, there's plenty of indications.

This is what comes from growing up on Nancy Drew, missing obvious clues becomes second nature :D

(the latest 2 chtps) a ray of sunshine at the horizon.

Wish you a happy Diwali as well. & Hope your exams went well.

chevy
5th November 2007, 02:00 PM
[tscii]Hey Killua

The CPT exam was written, passed and forgotten. So was the big gang of friends at the CA institute. As time passed I became more anxious about the “passing clouds” in my life

In the 17th

Well, there was nothing else that took Lalli’s interest or time in the first year, other than that in response to your many more months of goody college raconteurs.

You are right, there's plenty of indications.

This is what comes from growing up on Nancy Drew, missing obvious clues becomes second nature :D

:lol: K. NvR Mind.

chevy
5th November 2007, 02:49 PM
[tscii:b7b202bc7c]24

Time rolled. I remembered Sean’s birthday. How much ever I tried to forget it, when his birthday dawned, I woke up thinking if he’d be happy if I’d remembered his birthday. Or would I just seem obviously desperate? Divya would stop talking to me, if I cared so much for this. Vidya simply suggested that I had so much fun in college, and we trio spent such wonderful moments together. Patti was increasingly accepting me and I, naturally and almost effortlessly, transformed myself to a cultured Indian girl in my way of speaking, cladding, thinking and style. My parents were well settled now and life was never better. Why did I worry myself and let this gloominess affect my merry disposition? Why was everyone branding me lackluster and ominous these days? Why force this unhappiness into myself, when I was beautifully casting like clay and taking shape in the Indian mold?

“Well, I am like clay, Vidya”, I told. “Soft clay. Casting into a dejected mold. With time, the intense, burning indignation within my very self, has baked the clay into intransigence and inflexibility. And once baked, you can't change it's shape. Unless you want to break it? ”

Divya turned a deaf ear towards me. Nevertheless, both of them spent the whole day with me.

I ate dinner with Patti and Thatha.

I rang up my old CPT mates and chatted for long till Patti came knocking at the door inquiring why was the line kept busy for so long. I abruptly cut the call and told her it was my friend’s birthday. It was almost unintended. I swore to myself, that I hadn’t been contemplating whether I should wish him or not. But it was just one of those excuses that usually blurt out of me.

Nonetheless, I knew I was just lying to myself.

A hundred different feelings amalgamated within me.

Indescribable. Totally.

I had remembered his birthday.

And there is no harm in letting him know that I did. Anyone will be touched and thrilled to know they’ve been remembered.

Without further thought I rang up Sean.

And he picked.

And we spoke.

Finally.
[/tscii:b7b202bc7c]

crazy
6th November 2007, 12:06 AM
:clap:

btr
22nd November 2007, 10:05 AM
:rotfl: GOOD.NOW WHAT HAPPENS?????

killua
29th January 2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Chevy

Happy new year.

quite a break you have taken from chennai!

the stage is set for a comeback.

ps. perhaps a new yr resolution along the lines of regular updates................

chevy
30th January 2008, 05:01 PM
Oh u bet :) .. the story ll be over by march :) let's hope i ll live up to the promise :)

chevy
26th February 2008, 07:09 PM
[tscii:3f51a24706]25

“What?”

“Really?”

“What did you say?”

“What did he?”

“Oh my god! That’s news!!”

“So? Then?”

Divya shrieked out without any pause. A mixed expression of excitement and disgust showed up on her face.

She doesn’t like him for she’s seen me go through it right from the earliest phases. (Phases? Phases of what? At times, all this sounds so un-cool to me! Would I ever admit that I am missing his response to my correspondence so much? Of course I am missing, no doubt. Or I feel frantic that I am not being responded to, sounds like I am not worthy enough to bother sitting down and replying- Is that what is called missing? No, but I think of other things too. The few months we spent together and all the fun. I think of it and write about it too. My poems have this solemn touch to it these days and that makes people feel I’m getting more elegiac and classical in English.)

For what followed, was something I half expected? The series of perplexing thoughts and a disturbed mind lured me to ring up Sean and the conversation, brief and alien, as it sounded, both in reality and in my impervious description, drove Divya crazy and she ended up wailing her no-mercy for my deed. Vidya had nothing to say.

I ended up repeating the conversation so many times each time adding my different assumption about his situation, that I ended up confusing them too. I knew I was being biased and made it sound like he really was unable to talk to me properly, but that couldn’t justify the background hollers from guys teasing him, and I am very sure I heard my name too. I remember he’d said, “Pin, Shut up.”

I remembered that nick.

I remember seeing that name among his friend’s lists in some social networking site, but I couldn’t help feeling that he definitely hadn’t forgotten me.

Else, why would he have mentioned my name to some new friend of his. Guys don’t always do this talk about their old friends thing, not in detail at least. Why was there such a late answering of the call? He paused for a moment, and got back on the line after which there was persistent screeching and teasing in the background.

A queasy feeling ate me up, but didn’t prevent me from telling Divya that that I felt nice talking to him, but he’s busy and that I understood it.

Yes. I guess understand very well.

About what’s “actually” happening.

[/tscii:3f51a24706]

crazy
28th February 2008, 12:19 AM

killua
28th January 2009, 01:54 AM
Hey Chevy,
I was pretty sure I wanted to ask you finish the story, but then again, it has been so long, i don't remember the beginning now..................... :D