PDA

View Full Version : Om Shanthi Om-Rahman-SRK-Farah Khan

ajaybaskar
3rd October 2006, 11:04 AM
Farah picks Rahman over Malik

http://content.msn.co.in/Entertainment/Bollywood/Bollywood_MovieTalkies_230906_331.htm

Farah Khan and Anu Malik go back a long way and so it was no surprise that she asked Anu to score the music of her first film as a director, 'Main Hoon Na',which was produced by Red Chillies Entertainment.

Just to remind everyone, Anu and Farah were also both judges on Indian Idol and Indian Idol 2 and there playful banter was loved by one and all. Now as Farah is in the process of beginning work on her second film, again to be produced by Red Chillies, she has surprised everyone (maybe even Anu) by selecting A R Rahman to score the music for her film Om Shanti Om, and Rahman surprised everyone (maybe even Farah) by accepting.
This will mark the first time that Rahman will be composing music for a Red Chillies production although SRK, Farah Khan and Rahman made a great combination in many films, including the unforgettable Dil Se as well films like One Two Ka Four (remember Khamoshiyan Gungunane Lagi). The three together make a great team and it looks like Om Shanti Om is set to establish a lot of firsts.

july
3rd October 2006, 09:26 PM
Hope this ON..
i read somewhere that Farah back again to Anu Malik...

MADDY
4th October 2006, 03:45 AM
Wow, which means ARR is working with:

SRK
Aamir
Abhishek
Hrithik
John

and not to forget Rajinikanth in Tamil :D

ansa400
4th October 2006, 08:16 AM
Maddy, hope these films turn out to be blockbusters...workin with big stars alone doesn't guarantee success, what ARR needs is a "solid hit"...hopefully it'll be good if these films do the trick which JEOK failed to do inspite of good music...

ajaybaskar
4th October 2006, 10:04 AM
Check out the following link. Its an interview with Farah Khan.
http://www.omshantiom.com/news/om-shanti-om/om-is-where-the-heart-is.html

ajaybaskar
4th October 2006, 10:08 AM
Wow, which means ARR is working with:

SRK
Aamir
Abhishek
Hrithik
John

and not to forget Rajinikanth in Tamil :D

He is also working with Salman And Devgan In London Dreams.

Scale
4th October 2006, 12:43 PM
Didnt ARR refused this offer like "Main Hoona Na" b4? :roll:

ajaybaskar
6th October 2006, 10:27 AM
Not only ARR but also Kamal Hassan refused to do Main hoon na. ARR refused bcoz he was busy with his international assignments at that point of time.

Guess_Me
10th October 2006, 10:19 AM
[tscii:31db2f48eb]ARR out of Om Shanthi Om as SRK didn't like the tunes he composed?

Considering that most filmmakers would give an arm and a leg to work with A R Rahman, it’s something of a shocker to know that King Khan has replaced him with Vishal-Shekhar (Bluffmaster!, Dus) for his upcoming project. The film in question is Farah Khan’s Om Shanti Om, which is being produced by SRK’s banner, Red Chillies Entertainment.

SRK had a problem

The grapevine goes that the deal was scrapped for two reasons. Firstly, Shah Rukh didn’t like the tunes that Rahman had composed. Secondly, Rahman demanded a huge amount as his fee, which Farah refused to pay.

When contacted, Rahman says that he is indeed out of Om Shanti Om, but denies that SRK had problems with his compositions (they’ve earlier worked together in Dil Se and Swades). “The truth is that we had some problems over contractual obligations. That is why I am not doing the film,” he says.

Rahman adds that he wanted the publishing rights of the music to rest with the producer, the lyricist and the composer. But Farah and Shah Rukh flatly refused.

“Actually, Shah Rukh had a problem. He could not come to terms with what I wanted. We were trying to sort this out since the last two to three months, but it just didn’t happen. SRK is a big star and maybe he doesn’t need anybody. I wish it had materialised so that more composers can get their dues in India. Someone has to start this here and I am pressing for it.”

Aamir understood

On the other hand, Rahman has succeeded in getting a share of the publishing rights for Aamir Khan’s next film, directed by Abbas Tyrewalla. “I met Aamir and he understood what I wanted in an instant. It could be because Tyrewalla’s film is a small budget venture, unlike Farah’s, which is a biggie,” Rahman says.

And what of the 2 crore that he demanded as his fee? Rahman says, “I don’t do just the music in the songs, I also provide the background score. So I charge accordingly. But I guess it’s okay. Farah and I went our own ways this time, but we did tell each other that we’d work together some other time.”

‘We love Rahman’

For his part, Vishal Dadlani is glad to be a part of the project. “It’s true that Shekhar and I are doing Om Shanti Om now. We’ve known Farah for nearly two years and have done a lot of work together. She called us ten days back, and we were very happy to do it for her. We got so charged after listening to the story that we’re already ready with four songs,” he says.

The duo is also aware that Rahman was doing the film before them. “We knew that, but didn’t get into the details of what transpired between them. To tell you the truth, we are in this industry because of Rahman. He’s a great inspiration. If we were to make a film tomorrow, we would sign A R Rahman to compose the music.”

Interestingly, quite a few eyebrows were raised when Farah chose Rahman over Anu Malik for Om Shanti Om, considering his music played a big role in the success of Main Hoon Na. Our well-informed sources tell us that before assigning Om Shanti Om to Rahman, Farah had indeed thought of Anu but later changed her mind.

We wonder if the soundtracks of Zindaggi Rocks or Umrao Jaan might have had something to do with that?[/tscii:31db2f48eb]

Dragun
10th October 2006, 10:40 AM
DAMMIT

ajaybaskar
10th October 2006, 12:09 PM
A bad news to hear!!! Y did SRK do that to ARR? Thala does not need anyone's support to prove himself. He is a legend in his own territory. That shows the clear difference between bollywood and kollywood.

Guess_Me
10th October 2006, 02:45 PM
I somehow cant believe the "SRK didnt like ARR's tunes" story. I mean ARR is known to be a slow worker. He takes his own time to churn out those masterpieces. And this movie's production has not yet started and ARR has already composed some tunes?

Ridiculous!!!!

Jacky
10th October 2006, 03:39 PM
Thank god! Any routine bollywood composer in enough for an SRK-Farah venture. Rahman would be out of place in a movie that would have a stupid story, some stupid songs like "I'm the best", a dumb romantic number, may be one stupid sentiment song for mother or brother.
It's not bad even if ARR works with David Dhawan or Raju hirani who know their audience well and would package some good entertainment.

MADDY
10th October 2006, 04:21 PM
SRK-ARR break up???

in a filmfare interview SRK told that hindi music tradition is being kept up by ARR only....i thought he had huge respect for ARR but sadly money means more to him than respect/adulance :oops:

Dragun
10th October 2006, 10:47 PM
MHN was a pretty fun parody on Indian films. I wish ARR was involved in that. The qawwali number would have been so much better than what Anu Malik did.

ajaybaskar
11th October 2006, 10:07 AM
[tscii:a93bb0918f]I think ARR's withdrawal from the movie was a good decision. Om shanti om is a remake of the film Karz-A Rishi Kapoor starrer.

http://www.planetsrk.com/forums/f-oso-photo-gallery-116/t-is-farah-khan-re-making-karz-2670.html

After playing Dilip Kumar and Amitabh Bachchan, will ShahRukh Khan now play Rishi Kapoor in the remake of Karz?

The latest rumours doing the rounds is that choreographer-turned-filmmaker Farah Khan's forthcoming venture is inspired from Subhash Ghai's 1980 blockbuster Karz.

Titled Om Shanti Om, the film stars ShahRukh Khan and Deepika Padukone. Insiders insist that the film is loosely based on Karz. Apparently, ShahRukh Khan has never done a film on reincarnation, so when Farah told him about the idea of making a film on the lines of Karz, he was very excited.

Although Farah Khan is tight-lipped about the project, we have information that Shah Rukh plays the role of Rishi Kapoor, while model Deepika Padukone will play Tina Munim's role. “The film will be a musical and it will have the feeling of a 1980s Bollywood film,” says our source. While in the original, Raj Kiran and Rishi Kapoor played the same man with different faces, in Farah's film, Shah Rukh will be allegedly playing a double role. “Shah Rukh plays the role of Om, while his love interest is Shanti. After his death, when he returns as a singer, he plays the role of Om again,” says our source.

Incidentally, the idea on Om Shanti Om came from the chartbuster song of the same name of Karz. “Shah Rukh loves old Bollywood classics and currently he is interested in acting in remakes of classics. Farah was supposed to start Happy New Year, but the film has been temporarily shelved. Currently, Farah is working on the script,” says our source. Currently they are looking for an actress to play the role of Simi Garewal. And yes, Sushmita Sen is being considered...

When contacted, Farah Khan said, “I don't know anything yet about my film, except the fact that ShahRukh Khan is in it. I will not be able to confirm anything.” When further pressed, she said, “You'll have to wait for Shah Rukh to make a formal announcement about the film. I am just wondering how everyone is making up titles and story of my film. It's funny.”

She also refused to divulge the name of the film. However, yesterday ShahRukh Khan, in an interview to a daily, confirmed that he is working in Farah's film titled Om Shanti Om. Meanwhile, ShahRukh Khan seems to be on a remake spree. After playing Dilip Kumar (Devdas) and Amitabh Bachchan (Don), now it's Rishi Kapoor...

[/tscii:a93bb0918f]

ajaybaskar
11th October 2006, 11:32 AM
Kudos to ARR for standing his ground.
Only he has the stature and position in the industry to bring about
this change in the business end of the music industry. This will make
all lyricists/MDs secure financially and help reduce plagiarism bigtime.

As far as quelling rumors on this news,
ARR....please create your own website and release authenticated
statements on them. Its not that hard. Im sure there are plenty of
people in this group who would gladly maintain it for you.

Dragun
12th October 2006, 10:26 AM
[tscii:100ceafc6d]http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=10&articleid=101120062211497810112006221029500

Rahman fights for copyright of his music

"I can't run to music companies every time I need to use my own song, " says the composer

Subhash K Jha

A R Rahman has decided to put his foot down and protest against the prevailing practices in Bollywood. The music composer is going all out to campaign for securing the financial rights of composers and lyricists, and even producers.

As a first step to furthering this 'movement' Rahman has withdrawn from Farah Khan's next film. "I'm not doing Farah Khan's Om Shanti Om. But that doesn't mean there's any quarrel with her or with Shah Rukh who is producing her film. Farah and I go back a long way. We did Bombay Dreams together. In fact, I did some tunes for Om Shanti Om which Farah has now returned to me, not because she didn't like them but because we just couldn't agree on my terms, " he says.

Rahman's new policy is simple. He says, "I want to push for the copyright of composers and lyricists, even producers. I'm not saying that I want to be the sole proprietor of the songs I compose. But I want a share. There's nothing wrong with that. I can't run to music companies like T-Series and Sa Re Ga Ma every time I need to use my own song."

Unfortunately, not too many producers in Bollywood are willing to share Rahman's demand for a share in the royalty for a song.

But Rahman holds no grudges against anyone, least of all Aamir Khan or Shah Rukh from whose productions the composer has opted out, on this issue. "In fact Shah Rukh tried his utmost to see and to put forward my point of view, " defends Rahman.

Unfortunately, T-Series, the music company which will market the music of Om Shanti Om, would have none of it.

Rahman laughs, "I realise that I have a huge fight on hand, although I don't see it as a fight. It's not like the British rock band Queen which owned sole copyright of all its songs. But I won't run to music companies in Mumbai for the rights for my songs every time I want to perform them at concerts. Music companies must recognise the changing ground reality. Today, conventional outlets for music sales are drying up. Soon all music will be free while the performers and performances will be paid for."

Rahman is ready to take on the flak that he's likely to earn, for his stance. He says, "Any change is frowned at. But I'm standing up for what I think is right. Yes, producers will back out. But that's fine. I've always been asked why I haven't done a non-film album. Now, I have the time to do that."

What could complicate matters for Rahman in Mumbai is his selective attitude to the copyright issue. While he has chosen to assert his financial rights over Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan, Rahman has exempted Ashutosh Gowariker's Jodha-Akbar from the copyright-net. Rahman says, "It has to be flexible. I can't draw a net on all my assignments and draw up a uniform code.

At the same time, I'm not insecure about my career. If I lose out on some assignments in Mumbai I'm ready to bear with the loss."

• I'm not saying that I want to be the sole proprietor of the songs I compose. But I want a share. There's nothing wrong with that — A R Rahman[/tscii:100ceafc6d]

ajaybaskar
12th October 2006, 11:16 AM
[tscii:636493f527]Shahrukh Khan going against Rahman?

Rahman walked out of Shahrukh’s home production Om Shanti Om recently. The movie is directed by Farah Khan for Red Chillies Entertainment, which is Shahruk’s home banner. Subsequent to Rahman’s exit, the duo Vishal-Shekhar is taking his seat for Om Shanti Om. Rumors are aloft from various perspectives following this.

Some say that Shahrukh is unhappy with the tunes Rahman composed for the movie and it is also being speculated that Farah Khan did not want to pay Rahman’s exorbitant fee. Rahman has a different perspective of this story though. He stated that he left the movie after a disagreement over the music rights of the movie, which he wanted to stay with him, the producer and the lyricist. This obviously did not please the likes of Farah and Shahrukh. Rumors apart, Rahman is still reigning the Bollywood music scene with his inimitable talents and a couple of hindi movies to his credit.

On the other hand, the duo Vishal-Shekar obviously is elated with this offer and stated that since they have worked with Farah before, they are confident about this project. They also stated that they have finished composing for five songs of the movie already. They added hurriedly that they have no say in Rahman’s walking away from the movie.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/oct-06-02/11-10-06-ar-rahman.html[/tscii:636493f527]

ajaybaskar
14th October 2006, 10:14 AM
In an interesting development, A.R.Rahman is reportedly no longer composing music for "Om Shanti Om", Farah Khan's reincarnation flick. The coming together of Khan, Shah Rukh Khan and Rahman would have been quite fascinating to see given the penchant of the first two towards the "mass-ala film" and that many have missed a A.R.Rahman score for an unabashed entertainer for a while.
Now, the circumstances of this parting of ways are not clear, with the usual plague of "sources" muddling rivers, but one aspect (if not the only reason) seems to be Rahman's demand for publishing rights of the music to be shared between the producers (the Khans), the music director, and the lyricist (Gulzar). Now, in the world of mainstreams Indian films, this seems to be a fairly revolutionary request. When remakes or reusing of songs in India have been reported (as in a recent case with reusing "Khaike Paan" from "Don"), lyricists and sometimes music directors have known to complain about they having no say in the matters, essentially because in India, the film soundtrack belongs to the producers of the film. From my little informed opinion, a soundtrack in other places also belongs to the music composers, and so, what Rahman is asking for is quite fair. This kind of rights-sharing need has been whispered about because some of the creative backroomers such as writers of stories and screenplays, lyricists, playback singers have been historically given a raw deal in terms of credit and pay.

If memory serves me right, the likes of Salim-Javed used their clout to demand more fair credit for screenwriters. Rahman, who it can be recalled has seen a bit of life as the son of a struggling musician and spent years growing up among professional instrumentalists, has the clout right now to make this kind of demand. What "publishing rights" exactly entails is not clear to me, but there must be significant financial implications such as sharing royalties on use, playing, reuse etc. For instance, when the "Bombay theme" or "Chaiyya Chaiyya" are reused in ads or in "Inside Man" respectively, does Rahman get a share or do the original film producers get the sole benefit? With their music now transcending just the original film score (on many Tamil media outlets and even channels like Channel V, you can hear snatches of music from Rahman film songs), I think it's only fair the music director also gets compensated. Especially if he talks about sharing it fairly with the many instrumentalists and vocalists in his team (the average Rahman soundtrack will have a comprehensive listing of credits for all musicians on that album, which has helped raise the profile of many a talented musician). Rahman is, by all accounts, clearly India's highest-paid music composer and doesn't really need to make that extra buck. But the goal seems to be larger.

That said, I hope he has worked out a set of criteria as to this attempt to tilt at the windmills of the staus quo. Will he make this demand in each of his forthcoming albums? Will it be restricted to certain kinds of big banner productions? What will happen if on the next Mani Ratnam movie, the producer declines to share these rights? People are going to demand consistency and watch these actions like a hawk. However, the experiences of greats such as R.D.Burman make it imperative for some form of creative and financial protection to be extended to people who follow in their footsteps.

http://quatrainman.blogspot.com/2006/10/rahman-and-om-shanti-om-in-interesting.html

ajaybaskar
14th October 2006, 10:17 AM
Hi All,
This post from Subhash K Jha might be most appropriate or close
enough to what Rehman wanted to convey on what he is saying about
the copyrights.. . This article proves that Rehman is a trend setter.
He is thinking of future. He is a true Legend.

"I can't run to music companies every time I need to use my own
song," says the composer

A R Rahman has decided to put his foot down and protest against the
prevailing practices in Bollywood. The music composer is going all
out to campaign for securing the financial rights of composers and
lyricists, and even producers.

As a first step to furthering this 'movement' Rahman has withdrawn
from Farah Khan's next film. "I'm not doing Farah Khan's Om Shanti
Om. But that doesn't mean there's any quarrel with her or with Shah
Rukh who is producing her film. Farah and I go back a long way. We
did Bombay Dreams together. In fact, I did some tunes for Om Shanti
Om which Farah has now returned to me, not because she didn't like
them but because we just couldn't agree on my terms," he says.

Rahman's new policy is simple. He says, "I want to push for the
copyright of composers and lyricists, even producers. I'm not saying
that I want to be the sole proprietor of the songs I compose. But I
want a share. There's nothing wrong with that. I can't run to music
companies like T-Series and Sa Re Ga Ma every time I need to use my
own song."

Unfortunately, not too many producers in Bollywood are willing to
share Rahman's demand for a share in the royalty for a song.

But Rahman holds no grudges against anyone, least of all Aamir Khan
or Shah Rukh from whose productions the composer has opted out, on
this issue. "In fact Shah Rukh tried his utmost to see and to put
forward my point of view," defends Rahman.

Unfortunately, T-Series, the music company which will market the
music of Om Shanti Om, would have none of it.

Rahman laughs, "I realise that I have a huge fight on hand, although
I don't see it as a fight. It's not like the British rock band Queen
which owned sole copyright of all its songs. But I won't run to
music companies in Mumbai for the rights for my songs every time I
want to perform them at concerts. Music companies must recognise the
changing ground reality. Today, conventional outlets for music sales
are drying up. Soon all music will be free while the performers and
performances will be paid for."

Rahman is ready to take on the flak that he's likely to earn, for
his stance. He says, "Any change is frowned at. But I'm standing up
for what I think is right. Yes, producers will back out. But that's
fine. I've always been asked why I haven't done a non-film album.
Now, I have the time to do that."

What could complicate matters for Rahman in Mumbai is his selective
attitude to the copyright issue. While he has chosen to assert his
financial rights over Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan, Rahman has
exempted Ashutosh Gowariker's Jodha-Akbar from the copyright-net.
Rahman says, "It has to be flexible. I can't draw a net on all my
assignments and draw up a uniform code.

At the same time, I'm not insecure about my career. If I lose out on
some assignments in Mumbai I'm ready to bear with the loss."

• I'm not saying that I want to be the sole proprietor of the songs
I compose. But I want a share. There's nothing wrong with that — A R
Rahman

http://www.mumbaimi rror.com/ nmirror/mmpaper. asp?

Scale
14th October 2006, 03:50 PM
Dasa, OSM, whats next ATM? :thumbsup: :notworthy:

MADDY
15th October 2006, 11:27 AM
Sadly ARR is digging his own grave in HFM as well..... :cry: :cry: .......Indian market is very different from Hollywood/others.........i dont think any music company would accept his demand.......which in turn means he will miss out on lot of projects......imagine, this project wud definitely bcome a hit with SRK and Farah and the hype surrounding them.......sadly ARR is not bigger than the system..........

but on the brighter side, he has made a start which will ignite other MDs as well........also, i remember ARR mentioning this in many interviews right from May Madham days.....so this was a dream of our boss for a long time......also, after seein RDB he couldnt hold back :D .....he has started the war.....

lets hope 4 the best....

Dragun
16th October 2006, 06:10 AM
I think if major composers and lyricists join with ARR, they could get the music companies to acquiesce. Imagine if people like Javed Akhtar and Gulzar supported him in this cause!

rayan36
18th October 2006, 07:48 PM
Sadly ARR is digging his own grave in HFM as well..... :cry: :cry: .......Indian market is very different from Hollywood/others.........i dont think any music company would accept his demand.......which in turn means he will miss out on lot of projects......imagine, this project wud definitely bcome a hit with SRK and Farah and the hype surrounding them.......sadly ARR is not bigger than the system..........

but on the brighter side, he has made a start which will ignite other MDs as well........also, i remember ARR mentioning this in many interviews right from May Madham days.....so this was a dream of our boss for a long time......also, after seein RDB he couldnt hold back :D .....he has started the war.....

lets hope 4 the best....

As a fan Maddy, i feel the same way you do in the way that his gonna miss out some the Bollywood project. :roll: :roll: :roll: SRK and ARR together again - WOW ,but sadly our maestro has made his standing on his behalf and his counterparts...........what 'bout the South indie side......do they have problems like this?

MADDY
19th October 2006, 01:54 PM
As a fan Maddy, i feel the same way you do in the way that his gonna miss out some the Bollywood project. :roll: :roll: :roll: SRK and ARR together again - WOW ,but sadly our maestro has made his standing on his behalf and his counterparts...........what 'bout the South indie side......do they have problems like this?

yes man......i just hope this problem gets solved pretty soon.......also, reg south indian side - i guess IR has a share of audio rights for all the movies he composes.......RS or njv can enlighten on this :D ..........

MusicIsLife
19th October 2006, 06:05 PM
Maddy,Rayan et all.

This is the same problem IR had with Echo before he started his own recording company, but somehow that failed too (IR was gr8 with his music not with the management of a production company or did not appoint anybody that would do it efficiently), Digital Rights Management has always been very tricky, be it hollywood or any other wood. You can see the fights between TiVo, PVR and other streaming media stuff recently. Probably there should be a format of release that would make it hard not to buy anything but original stuff (Compression, Encryption and special players), but that leads to a pandora's box -> proprietory and freedom.