Discuss about

IR vs Sankar Ganesh
IR vs Chandrabose
IR vs Hamsaleka
IR vs Deva
IR vs TR

Don't take MSV and ARR, next came MDs after ARR

Atleast TR had his own creativity......
hamsalekha.... just very few films in Tamil.....
others are just do a copy of previous IR works

Nakeeran
29th September 2006, 07:37 PM
Sanjeevi

Enpa theva illama IRa matha MDsoda compare seyure and in the process , unknowingly you are bringing his level to theirs :evil:

Raja is way way way above all these MDs

Anaa onnu, Deva 90sula patta kilapinaru for Rajini movies

app_engine
29th September 2006, 07:59 PM
When amman creations' `kannipparuvaththilE' was a big hit (`nadaya mAththu' `adi ammAdi chinnappoNNu' 'pattu vaNNa rOsAvAm') followed by the success of 'pAlaivanachchOlai' (`mEghamE mEghamE' 'pournami nEram pAvai oruththi'), S-G was riding on a big high. (Though some of these hits were blatant lifts or heavy inspirations, who cared? Success is all what matters in TF).

As usual, kumudam, which never liked Raja's rule, and picked on him every now and then, wrote in the lights on that S-G is current #1.

Then there was Rajendar who had a stupendous success with OTR (though there were a few who wanted to share the credit with A A Raj whose contribution is by now totally ignored)...and followed it with string of hit songs in 'rayil payaNangaLil' 'kiLinjalkal' 'uyiruLLavarai usha' 'thangaikkOr geetham' 'mythili ennaikkAdhali...The interesting part is these were reasonably time spaced (like the initial mega hits of ARR) and thus had more broadcast/buscast/teashopcast etc, eclipsing some of the contemporary songs of IR that were musically more complex, out-of-the-world orchestration, even moderately hit songs...

Other than these brief / occasional challenges from these two, there was hardly any competition for IR. (i.e. after MSV ran out of gas...with nothing really big after `sippi irukkudhu' and 'vidiya vidiya solliththaruvEn'...)

Chandrabose was a sponsored musician (by AVM) who had very limited capabilities and thus never challenged Raja and Deva literally worshipped him. (Hamsalega was our guest from kannadA field, let's not count him)

Nakeeran
29th September 2006, 08:05 PM
There were also :

1. Shyam
2. MD name not coming to my mind - Aziyadha kolangal but famous in Kerala movies
3. S.A. Rajkumar ( later )

raaja_rasigan
29th September 2006, 08:41 PM
2. MD name not coming to my mind - Aziyadha kolangal but famous in Kerala movies

salil choudry a bengaali..... he done less than 5 films in tamil, i think so

app_engine
29th September 2006, 09:28 PM
Shyam was extremely talented and had nice variety. He hit bigger in Malayalam than Thamizh...but never a big challenger to Raja...Many in the DF here acknowledge Salil Chowdhry dearly...as a true all-round composer with excellent WCM/BGM skills and a predecessor to Raja -some even call him the pioneer- in those areas. Again, not big (i.e. commercially) to be counted as a challenger in TFM. SAR had a big hit in pudhu vasantham (but kept repeating those tunes n number of times) and then went into oblivion. He had some commercial success only in the post-IR era.

That way, there were a number of one/few film successes like Manoj-Gyan etc.

kingvj
29th September 2006, 11:14 PM
..and there were Gangai Amaran, Devendran (Vedham Pudhidhu)...

Chandrabose and Devendran, IMO, were pulled in only to counter IR. Devendran was proposed as a de-facto with Bharathiraja during the IR-BR breakup...he did have a nice orchestration (Kannukkul Nooru nilavaa) but due to the huge IR-impression that ppl had on BR movies, unable to fathom the lengths in BGM dept... (no one can even come near, again IMO).

Hamsaleka too was a beneficiary of the IR-BR breakup.. his biggest hit would be Paruva Raagam and BR roped him in for Kodi Parakkudhu (?).

Chandrabose hit big-time marquee with 'Manidhan' and was becoming quite a rage with Sankar Guru, Oru Thottil Sabadham (Poonchittu kuruvigalaa..), Kadhanayagan, Raja chinna Roja, Naan Pudicha Mappillai (to me, that was the last real hit he gave).

Then there was Maragadhamani, pulled up by KB to be the next challenger for IR.. he did provide some light-music variety (IMO) songs in Azhagan, Vaanamey Ellai (mainly keyboard,synthesizers).. but was a huge hit in Telugu for whatever reasons. Then KB-MR revealed ARR..!!

kameshratnam
30th September 2006, 09:59 AM
U left out the main Isay Saral S A Rajkumar alias la lala Rajkumar..

In Pudu vasantham vikaraman wud have dialogues like "My film will run if i have md's like ir and not new faces like u"..

Sanjeevi
30th September 2006, 11:10 AM
Wov thanks for your response

Now the revised pairs

IR vs Sankar Ganesh
IR vs Chandrabose
IR vs Hamsaleka
IR vs Deva
IR vs TR
IR vs Vedha
IR vs Devendran
IR vs Shyam
IR vs Manoj-Kyan
IR vs Maragathamani
IR vs SAR

raaja_rasigan
30th September 2006, 11:13 AM
U left out the main Isay Saral S A Rajkumar alias la lala Rajkumar..

In Pudu vasantham vikaraman wud have dialogues like "My film will run if i have md's like ir and not new faces like u"..

I liked the "sangeetha vanil" song from chinna poovae mella pesu. This film had some IR influenced songs MD is debutant
S A Rajkumar. He then used the same style of music for manasukkul mathaapu.... then he teamed w/ vikraman for repeating la la laaa's :lol:

jagannn2210
30th September 2006, 11:54 AM
The reason being Vidyasagar was a Ghost composer for SA Rajkumar.

All the earlier works of Vidyasagar under SA Rajkumar Or on his own works ( Nilapenne) had extremely strong influence of IR. ( Surprisingly Vidyasagar claims MSV as his Deivam- Total mismatch !!!)

You will find it in one more song "O penmanguyil" from the same film a clean re-hash of IR 's Nadiyoram from Annai Oru alayam.

I think SAR changed his style from Pudhuvasandham ,puriyadha pudhir etc where he slowly turned towards the style of hindi film music

raaja_rasigan
30th September 2006, 01:34 PM
The reason being Vidyasagar was a Ghost composer for SA Rajkumar.

All the earlier works of Vidyasagar under SA Rajkumar Or on his own works ( Nilapenne) had extremely strong influence of IR. ( Surprisingly Vidyasagar claims MSV as his Deivam- Total mismatch !!!)

You will find it in one more song "O penmanguyil" from the same film a clean re-hash of IR 's Nadiyoram from Annai Oru alayam.

I think SAR changed his style from Pudhuvasandham ,puriyadha pudhir etc where he slowly turned towards the style of hindi film music

I think now vidyasagar is also not getting much films.....
now his place is taken by srikanth deva..... is it right

VillageGimp
8th October 2006, 09:58 PM

salil choudry a bengaali..... he done less than 5 films in tamil, i think so

Salila is one of the greatest music directors ever. He was an expert in all forms of musics, ranging from Carnatic, Hindustani and other stuff. He won the national award for Chemeen and he was also the MD for Captains fist movie. He composed a superb number Ullamellam Thaladude rendered by KJY in sync with carols.

Like IR he uses preludes, Interludes and post ludes to a great effect His tunes are mesmerising but his music lacks the healing sense of IR.

VillageGimp
8th October 2006, 10:02 PM
When amman creations' `kannipparuvaththilE' was a big hit (`nadaya mAththu' `adi ammAdi chinnappoNNu' 'pattu vaNNa rOsAvAm') followed by the success of 'pAlaivanachchOlai' (`mEghamE mEghamE' 'pournami nEram pAvai oruththi'), S-G was riding on a big high. (Though some of these hits were blatant lifts or heavy inspirations, who cared? Success is all what matters in TF).

Shankar Ganesh worked in the period of giants but still managed to compose music for nearly 500 films

I liked his

Naan Unnai Ninaichen from Kannil Theriyum Kathaigal
Yaar adhu from a Mohan Film
Unnai Naan Paarthathil from PattiKattu Raja- very good dance number.

Sanjeevi
8th October 2006, 11:40 PM
I remembered a rumour came on a magazine based on IR vs ChandraBose.

"IR sung a song,

Raja Rajathi Rajan Intha Raja
Kooja Thookathey Veru Engum Kooja

For this, Chandrabose replied to Raja via a song,

Naan Rajathi Rajanaiyum Thoorkadippen
Naan Villathi Villionaium Veezhthiduven

This hurted Raja and he answered to CB with angry,

Engitta Mothathey Naan Rajathi Rajanada
Vambukku Izhukathey Naan Soorathi Sooranada

"

and was waiting for CB's reply

It was funny :lol: