PDA

View Full Version : Malayalam Film Music

Pages : [1] 2 3

Oldposts
19th December 2004, 02:23 PM
Topic suggested by Rajaraman on Wed Jan 13 02:23:08 .

To discuss about MFM.

Oldposts
I'll start this off by reviewing 3 of the most famous albums..

His Highness Abdullah:(MD: Ravindran)

pramadavanam (KJY) - an excellent light song (jog based)
deva sabathalam (KJY,Sreekumar;KJY,Ravindran) - a ragamalika jugalbandi; kind of a competition song.
naadha roopini (Sreekumar) - national award winning song, based on Kanada.
Sreekumar does beautiful jet-speed swaras.
gopika vasantham (KJY,Chitra) - another beautiful duet song (shanmugapriya)
tu badi (KJY) - light hindi song with Kafi shades

Bharatham:(MD: Ravindran)

gopaangane (KJY,Chitra) - light nattai song
Rama katha (KJY) - Great piece by KJY. Set to subhapantuvarali. (I think KJY won national award for the whole album.)
raghuvamsapathe (KJY) - pure classical shankaranaranam with alap,swaras,thani.
srivinaayagam (KJY,Ravindran) - nice hamsadhwani classical song
? (BMK,KJY) - a kind of 'music teaching' song. Starts off in Mayamalava gowla and goes into a ragamalika.

Sargam:(MD: Bombay Ravi)

raagasuthaa rasa (KJY,Chitra) - tyagaraja keerthana nicely done filmy style.
kannaadi aadhyamaayi (Chitra) - good light song in mohanam.
sangeethame (KJY) - saramathi based one.
Andolanam (KJY,Chitra) - melodius duet.
Bhooloka Vaikunda.. (KJY) - KJY sings with lot of modulation in voice, unusually.
krishna krupa saagaram (KJY)
pravahame... (KJY)

I haven't heard this album much, so others please elaborate.

Oldposts
Review of Kudumbasamedham by Bharat, from a different thread.

----
1. En tharo Mahanubhavulu.. (Not a full song just this line only.. In film hero,ManojKJayan starts this as first line during his arangetram)
2. Parthasarathim Bhavaye.. Classical; hero's arangetram song..
3. Kamalambike Rakshamam.. : Semi-classical; Hero sings in one Katcheri
4. Pahimam Sree Rajarajeshwari.... CLassical; Ragam : Janaranjani; Srividya teaches children; Hero joins the song midway;
5. Neela Raavil innu ninte....Melodious song;Ragam : Shree; Hero consoles the sad heroine;
The picturisation of this song is too good.. Hero & heroine walk through the sandy riverbank in a moonlit background;
6. Oonjal urangi hindola ragam.. Pathos song; Hero in a pining mood having been forced to detach from the family;
7. Gokulam thannil.. Song not in film; This song is set in the mould of Kaikottikali song(This
is a Keralite art form which is usually performed during Onam time by ladies..)

Hope I haven't missed any.. Why I call this a landmark musical is that this film revived the semi-classical melody trend again; The two songs and Oonjal urangi.. standout best in this class; Also judicious usage of classical songs have been done because the two classicals are simpler to hear & experience rather than the normal difficult ones..

This director, Jayaraj, also became addicted to the music syndrome(as Sibymalayil) and produced two more films of the same genre but as usual the others failed to impact as this one;
But these films were also carnatic music-oriented and definitely good to hear; The two films are:
Paithrukam
Sopanam

Can discuss it later..

BS

Oldposts
Rajaram

Can you please explain to me how typical malayalam film songs are set.

Oldposts
Aruvi,
I didn't clearly understand your Q: 'set'??

First of all, I have listened to only a few of the albums. From what I have observed, MFM gives lot of importance to melody. The songs are predominantly classical music based. (There are of course, a few movies with only commercial songs but they didn't became great hits, I think.)

This is just IMHO :))

Oldposts
Oh! Sorry Rajaram! I thought you were well acqainted with the industry. I wonder if Thomas still visits this site. I think he is a malayalee. Maybe he can give us some info. I was just wondering about the history of MFM and the people who dominate it.

Oldposts
Mr.Rajaraman:
This is an excellent thread for discussing good malayalam film music for usual TFM lovers.I have a fairly good collection of semi and light classical m.film songs.If you e-mail me I can send some copies.This includes films of 60s and 70s too.
Recent films with vitage music include:
Surya gayathri-excellent film about a Palghat Brahmin family with Mohanlal,Urvasi and Major Sunderrajan as the former's father.Half the dialogue is in Palghat Brahmin tamil.Music by Ravindran is excellent especially the main song set to Abhogi.
Manichitra thazhukal too has great music with one tamil song in Kunthalavarali.
Ramamurthy

Oldposts
Mr. Ramamurthy,
Yes, I have also heard 'Manichitra thaalu' songs. The Kuntalavarali song is 'Oru murai vanthu paarthaayaa' right? The theme song of this movie (kind of pathos) I think is in Asaveri. I don't recall the first line.

Can you do a detailed review of Surya Gayatri? Pl do share your experiences about the oldies too. I know only a very few like Chemmeen, Thulabaraam (malayalam version).

Abhogi reminds me of another new song (in the same raga) in Shalini's next movie after Kaathalukku Mariyaathai (Mallu version). In tamil it came out as Nilave unakkaaga.

Oldposts
Rajaraman:

Thank you for starting this thread. I hope to contribute "regularly", depending on the availability of time! I am working on a brief history of MFM. I am a little hesitant due to the fact that I have been away from India for a long time, and because my resources in North America (in terms of Indian music) are very limited.

Anyway, I will start with the films PAITHRUKAM and SOPAANAM, both directed by Jayaraj (both listed in your earlier posting).

The songs in PAITHRUKAM were written by KAITHAPRAM and the music was by S.P. Venkatesh. The songs were all good. They were:

Neelaanjana poo........ Chitra
Vaalkkannezhuthiya..... KJY
Sivam Sivadagana....... KJY
Seethaa Kalyaana....... KJY
Swayamvaramaay......... KJY, Minmini (Minnie Joseph)

SOPAANAM, in comparison had mostly the traditional classics. KJY won his 7th national award for songs in this movie. (RR: You are right. KJY won his 6th national award for BHARATHAM). Lyrics for three of the songs were written by KAITHAPRAM, and the music was again by S.P. Venkatesh. Here is the list:

Thaara noopuram chaarththi......KJY, Manju

Soga sugaa mrudanga thaalamu...(Sri Ranjini Raaga, Roopaka Thaala-Thyagaraja- KJY, Chitra, Manju)

Aaraadhya manu mohanaa...(Raagamaaliga, Adi-Kaithapram-KJY, Poornachandra Rao)

Paavana guru pavana puraa...(Hamsanandhini,Roopaka-Lalithadaasar-KJY, T.N. Seshagopal)

Srutha kamalaa kucha (Ashtapadi)...(Mohanam,Adi-Jayadevar-KJY)

Saroja dala nethri...(Sankarabharanam,Adi-Shyama Saasthrigal-KJY)

Saadhimchanei oh manasaa...(Aarabhi,Adi-Thyagaraja-KJY, T.N. Seshagopal, Chitra, Manju)

Pon meghamei...(Chitra)

Vedhanudharathei (Slogam)...(KJY)

Ksheera saagara...(Devagandhari, Adi-Thyagaraja-KJY)

Deva deva...(Mayamalavagoula, Roopaka-Swaathi Thirunaal-T.N. Seshagopal, Manoj)

Nagumomu kalaivaani...(Madhyamavathi,Adi-Thyagaraja-Mano)

I am sure that you will find this a valuable addition to your collection.

Oldposts
Thanks for the info GV. Expecting more such contributions from people like you...

Oldposts
i think 'oru murai vandu paarthayo' is the best tamil love song i've ever heard & it ends up in a Mal film.who wrote this song as my cd & cass of this film as well as 'Thenmaavin kombathu'(every song a classic) have never been returned by mates.can some one also please post the lyrics to that song in 'Kireedam'(the best Indian film ever made?) as I can't understand it & I keep reading that it's a great lyrical masterpiece. I don't expect anyone to translate the song into english but did I hear someone volunteering to translate it...thanks in advance.

Oldposts
Raju:

The lyrics for "Oru murai vandhu paarththaayo...."
was written by none other than Kavignar Vali. The music for the song was by M.G. Radhakrishnan, who is the brother of singer M.G. Srikumar. The background music for the movie (MANICHITHRA THAAZHU) was by Johnson, who is a national award winning MD (for KUDUMBA SAMEDHAM). BTW, it is not unusual in Malayalam movies to have one MD doing the songs and another one doing the BGM.

Oldposts
19th December 2004, 02:24 PM
Typo: Kavignar Vaali (of course!)

Oldposts
I will briefly discuss songs from the movie SWAATHI THIRUNAAL. The album is a great collection of Swaathi Thirunaal compositions, the only exception being "Mokshamu galadaa puvilo...." by Sri Thyagaraja. The singers include Balamurali Krishna, KJY, SPB, Neyyatinkara Vasudevan, Chitra and Aundhathi. MD for the movie was M.B. Srinivasan.

Here are the songs:

Pannakendra sayanaa.... (Balamurali Krishna, KJY & Neyyatinkara Vasudevan)

Alar sara parithaapam....(KJY & Anuradhi)

Mokshamu galadaa puvilo....(Balamurali Krishna)

Parama purusha Jagadeeswara....(KJY & Neyyatinkara Vasudevan)

Sumasaayaka viduraa....(Arundhathi)

Paarvathee naayakaa paahimaam....(KJY & Chitra)

Saarasa mukha sarasi janaabhaa....(KJY)

Geethaku mithu thaga dheem (thillaanaa)....(Ambilikkuttan)

Maamavaa sadaa jananee....(Neyyatinkara)

Devanukei pathi indraa....(SPB)

Krupayaa paalaya souree....(KJY)

Jamunaa kinaarei pyaarei....(Balamurali Krishna)

Kosalendra maadhavaamithaa....(Neyyatinkara)

Chaliyei kunjanu mo thum....(Chitra)

Oldposts
GV,
I have listened to 'param purusha'. N.Vasudevan's rendering and the mridangist (don't know who) have done an excellent job in this song.

BTW there is a song that goes like 'kanagaangi' (KJY in the raga kanagaangi itself). Can you tell me which film is this song from?

Oldposts
why is only carnatic film music being discussed here? there's much much more to malayalam film music, if anyone's interested, especially the music of that genius, Johnson.

Oldposts
cram,
this thread is of course not restricted to semi-classical albums. your contributions are welcome

Oldposts
thanks RR,
i was in doubt.
back later

Oldposts
let's talk mal music, and not just the semi-classical variety.
unlike in tamil cinema, discussing mal albums is difficult, simply because it's not often that u find a (post-80s) film with more than 3 songs, and some of the best songs i have heard are in films that have just 2-3 numbers, or even less.
i would like to take up the album, "NakhakshathangaL", meaning fingernail-prints, for discussion.
starring vineeth, monisha (i think both debuted in this one), thilakan and jayachandran (the singer) in a delicious cameo, the film is directed by hariharan, one of the finest talents we have seen. the script is by MT (Vasudevan Nair), music by Ravi (Bombay) and lyrics by ONV Kurup. The filom won the best actress award for monisha, who is sadly not amidst us.

the songs are:

manjaL prasaadhavum - chitra
neeraaduvaan - yesudas
aareyum - "
kEvalam - jayachandran
vreeLa - " (a poem recital)

the film is a beautiful love story, told in the simplest manner possible and peopled by some unforgettable characters. the picturisation is par excellence, as is every other aspect of the film.
grab the album (its usually available in combination with panchagni and kaathOdu kaathOram, which we can discuss later), and if u can, grab a video as well. you will fall in love with it straightaway and be hooked for life.

Oldposts
cram:

Chitra won her second national award for "Manjal prasaadhavum.....", which is a simple, but pleasant song.

Oldposts
Wow! I never knew so many people participating in this forum knew malayalam. Makes me wonder if there are many Malayalees in Toronto. Unfortunately I don't know Malayalam and can't contribute much to this thread. But I have been a daily silent spectator. There was this joke about me actually trying to learn Malayalam about when I was fourteen. But I couldn't because it had to be all self taught. I still remember how to write some of the alphabets though. The biggest problem I had was that I didn't know if I should pronounce words as said in tamil or some other way. Because when you hear people talk in Malayalam in movies, they sound different, although in english, it looks very similar to tamil.

GV
you say 'manjal prasadvam' is a simple pleasant song that she won a national award for. I have always thought that to win a national award, the song had to have some kind of strong carnatic or hindustani base. Is this song as such?

Oldposts
aruvi:

The difficulty for Malayalees in pronouncing Tamil words, and for Tamils to pronounce Malayalam words "properly" is because of the fact that there is a large number of common words written the same way, but pronounced differently in each language. In Malayalam, almost every sound has a specific letter for it. For example, the Tamil letter "ka" has 4 variations in Malayalam, ka, kha, ga, gha. This continues for "tha", "pa", "cha", and on and on and on. More than half of all words in a typical TFM song could mean the same thing in Malayalam, but are pronounced differently. This is one reason why KJY and other singers from Kerala may have an occasional "difficulty" with some Tamil words.

Talking about national awards, it is true that a lot of national awards were given to music and songs based of classical music. But this is not always true. Of the 7 national awards that KJY has won, I don't think there were more than 2 that were really classical based. Malayalam Film Music, unlike the Tamil field, is still very much melody based. This, of course, means that karnatic music is still a major influence. However, I think it is the melody that is the deciding factor.

Another big difference between TFM and MFM is the depth of the relatively small MFM field. There are 10 or more very talented MDs at any given time in MFM. Many of them are national award winners and are well known for their skills. This is true with actors, directors and singers too. Because of this, a discussion like who is better, (for example, MSV, IR or ARR?), will never be possible in MFM.

I hope that I have answered your questions without boring you too much with my long posting!

Oldposts
RR:

At this time, I can't remember the song "Kanagaangi...". I have a basement full of audio and video cassettes, but my MFM collection is not much organized (yet). If I am successful in locating the song, I will let you know.

Oldposts
GV,
thanks in advance.

Re your comment MFM is still melody-based, I heard Vidyasagar has become a great attraction in MFM lately with many rhythm-based numbers. I'm not sure about this. Any idea?

Oldposts
Aruvi & GV, on my first day in kerala as a backpacker I walked into a music shop & asked for any 5 cass of the owners choice bc I didn't know any and that song 'Manjal prasadavum'wason it.The other songs in that film r also classics & the film I believe won awards galore. ^ years later I now read & write Malayalam as well as tamil(I learnt from watching movies). If u know tamil Mal is not as hard as it might sound. I can easily pronounce those sounds u never knew existed in your mouth. Onnu sramitchu nokku. Malayala bhasha padikkyan atthram kashtam onnum alla.

Oldposts
Well done, raju. It may not be that hard , if one tries hard enough. The difficulty is mostly with the finer points of the sound. For example, the sound (letter) "di" in the word padikkyan (in your posting) is very hard to write in most other languages. It is not di, ddi, dhi, dti, ti, tdi, tti, or thi. BTW, all these sounds have letters in Malayalam. Similarly, "..kkaam" may come closer than "kkyam".

I was just trying to elaborate on the difficulties. Your effort and achievement in mastering the language are admirable.

RR, and others: Sorry for the digression.

Oldposts
GV
Thanks for the info. I wasn't bored at all. No need to think like that. Raju, congrats on your achievement. Basically, my problem was that I was using an english-malayalam learn in 30 days book. And honestly, when you look at the words in english, it relates too much to tamil.

Well, to everyone else, sorry for digressing from the topic of this thread.

Oldposts
To all Malayalam Film Music Fans:

For one of the most comprehensive collections of Malayalam songs, please visit:
http://members.tripod.com/~moideen/index-13.html (http://members.tripod.com/~moideen/index-13.html
)

Oldposts
gv
kalakki saarE. ini discusseyyaan aduththa album allengil paattu EthaaNaavO? (naNbargaLe, malayalathila pEsi koncha naaLaachchu, athu thaan. mannikka vEndugirEn)

Oldposts
another album i would like to discuss is "Isabella", a beautiful film starring Balachandra Menon and Sumalatha. i am not sure about the music composer, but i think it is ouseppachchan. the film depicts the search for true, unconditional love of a rich man, whose relations keep hounding him for money, and who finally finds it in a female guide in Ooty. do they live happily ever after? veLLiththiraiyil, allathu ungaL veettu VCR-il kaaNungaL.

the songs are:
isabella - KJY, a superb solo with some lovely lyrics (vasantha pushpam polE, oru dhurantha geetham polE...)
mangalya yaamam - another lovely sole by KJY.
nEram mangiya nEram - don't know the voice, think its KJY
there's another song, a solo by S Janaki,but i can't recollect the lines. GV, pls help.

Oldposts
My favorite 80's early 90's songs includes:

'Daisy'
1.Raapadi Nee...Chithra (wow! this song is an example of Chithra's clarity at high pitches, which has been debated over and over in the TFM discussion)
2.Thenmazhayo Poomazhayo.....Yesudas
3.Laalanam .....Yesudas

'Vaisali'
1.Indraneelimayoram.....Chithra

i forget the other songs, someone help me out here, a very nice album!

'Dhwani'
Yesudas is absolutely genius on this soundtrack by Naushad.
1.Rathisughasaaramayi Devi.....Yesudas
2.Maanasanilayil....Yesudas
3.Anuraagalola Raathri....Yesudas, P.Suseela

'Kakothikaavile Apoopan Thaadikal'
1.Kannanthumbi Poraamo? ...Chithra (one of my all time favorite songs!)
2.Thaanechithalerum Kolangal....M.Vasudevan, Chithra
3.Yaya Yaya....Chithra

'Mazhavil Kaavadi'
1.'Thangathoni Thenmalayoram' ....Chithra (a masterpiece of melody by Johnson)

ok....gotta run

Oldposts
Thomas: DHWANI, with music by the legendary Naushad is a great album. The songs stand out for their simple, but elegant melody and tone. There is no heavy orchestration or loud interludes. The overall effect is that it fits the 70-s and early 80-s MFM style, but with the very special Naushad touch. Lyrics are by Yousuf Ali Kecheri.

Here is a complete list of the songs:

Maanasa nilayil ponnoalanal....(KJY)

Raamaa, Raamaa, Jaanakee Jaanei....(KJY)

Anuraaga lola gaathree....(KJY & P. Susheela)

Oru raaga maala korththu saghee....(KJY)

Aan kiliyei thaen kiliyei....(KJY)

Maanasa nilayil ponnoalangal....(KJY-repeat)

Raamaa, Raamaa, Jaanakee Jaanei....(P. Susheela)

Rathi sugha saaramaayi Devi nin mey....(KJY)

DHWANI songs are available on RealAudio at:

http://hail.icestorm.net/binod/malsongs1.html

Oldposts
I also love the songs of Dwani, esp.' AAN kiliye song. Prem Nasirs last film & still not a hit.
I do try and listen to some old songs & love 'Kaadaru masam, naadaru maasam, from 7 rathrikal. I'd love to see these old films. Also love 'Kadanathin kaatrillengo, karimuka dweeepilengo', don't know what film.

Oldposts
cram:

This is a late response to your questions!

The music director for ISABELLA was Johnson and the lyrics were by ONV. "Neram mangiya neram...." was sung by KJY. The solo by S. Janaki was "Thalir munthiri vallikkudilil....".

Oldposts
GV,
thanks for the clarification. watched Padmarajan's Koodevide recently, an absolutely amazing debut by Johnson. Padmarajan had this great ear for music, can we discuss the music of his films?

Oldposts
cram:

I have seen most of Padmarajan's movies, but a long time ago. Without seeing then again, it will be difficult for me to participate in a discussion about the movies or the music. I will do my best, time permitting!

Oldposts
read about zakir hussain's new venture for shaji karun's film vanaprastham, about a kathakali artist.
http://216.32.165.71/entertai/1999/feb/24zak.htm

Oldposts
Digression:

I am quite sceptical about Zakir Hussain's composing abilities although he is a great tablist.

Does anyone know how good a COMPOSER he is?

Oldposts
pretty bad, srk,
his work in Miss Beatty's Children (horrible film by Pam Rooks, who directed Train to Pakistan) was downright unacceptable. Similarly, his songs in Saaz, starring Shabana Azmi and loosely based onm Asha Bhosle-Lata Mangeshkar sibling rivalry, was no great shakes either.
composing music for films is a totally different kettle of fish compared to participating in fusion experiments, which ustaad is great at. he should realise that even a genius like him has limitations. we all know what happened to cinematic forays of balamurali krishna, kunnakkudi vaidyanathan, etc. things just aren't the same, wish these guys would realise it.

Oldposts
kaushik, i too don't think zakir is that great a composer.. that is why i wouldn't want him to compose for marudhanaayagam:-))
his saaz work was also basically kunnakkOl based one and not a melody based one. his album in the series of five elements was applaudable though (cinematic composition is totally different:-)

Oldposts
I have not listened to too much of MFM. I have some collection of Salil's songs and all of them are good, like "Shyaama megame", "Raakkuyile urangu", "keLinaLinam vidarumo", "Ende Neela ponmane". I have read about KJY saying that one Baburaj is one of the greatest melody makers in Malayalam. Any info on availability of his songs, material will be appreciated. Maybe guys like GV, Thomas can help.

Oldposts
Sriram Lakshman:

MFM was, and is, famous for its focus on melody. Baburaj was was one of several MD-s in the late '60-s and '70-s, who composed great music with very little orchestration and/or interludes. I will give you a sampler from the early '70-s.

Song: "Thaamasamenthey varuvaan praanasakhee......."

Movie: BHAARGAVI NILAYAM"

Lyrics: Vayalar Raama Varma

Music: Baburaj

Singer: K.J. Yesudas

Listen to the song at:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/prodigy/458/index.html

Oldposts
Sriram:

"Thaamasamenthey......." is the 10th song within the 6th set of songs on that page.

BTW, for a huge assortment of MFM pages, go to:

http://members.tripod.com/~moideen/index-13.html

Oldposts
GV,
Thanks a lot !!! Give me sometime , I will come with a feedback.

Oldposts
GV,

Thamasamenthe is too good. I wonder how any MD can ever think of a tune like this. Even if he had thought about this, how did he convey it to KJY and take it heights !!

SL,

"Keli nalinam" is an absoulutely beutiful composition. It is available in CD.

Oldposts
GV, IT reminded me of "Pulaiyanar Maniamma"

Oldposts
Murali:

I have a theory on why the earlier songs like "Thaamasamenthey..." and "Pulayanaar maniyamma..."
sounded so good, even without the latest technology of digital, multi-track recording. Those days, the M.D., singers and the orchestra rehearsed the songs together, and did several "takes", before the final product was recorded. This gave the artists all the time they needed to communicate with each other the finer points and nuances of the music. Multi-track recording changed all this. Did you know that KJY recorded his lines in the GURU album at his Florida studio and the tracks were sent to Madras for mixing and editing? While this is convenient and efficient, I personally feel that it takes away the "soul" from the process of creating music.

BTW, http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/prodigy/458/index.html has several of my favourite songs, including:

Maanasa mainei varoo...(CHEMMEEN - Manna Dey/Salilda) Song #1 - 6th set.

Thaamasamenthey... Song #10 - 6th set.

Upaasana upaasana....(Jayachandran's national award-winning song) Song #12 - 6th set.

Naada roopinee....(M.G. Srikumar's national award winning song) Last song in the 7th set.

Oldposts
All the above are all time favorites. IF I remember right MGS won a state award for it and KJY national for Pramadhavanam.

I have always found that many KJY's songs are similar to Rafi's. eg "Ehsaan hoga thera muj par " and "Kumkumapoovukal poothu " and "Devaanganangal". the similarity between the first two are strikingly conspicuous

Oldposts
Murali:

M.G. Srikumar won the national award for "Naada roopinee...." (HIS HIGHNESS ABDULLA) that year. KJY won it later for BHARATHAM. "Pramadha vanam..." by KJV (from HHA) is a better song, but the winner was MGS.

The three musicians that KJY admires the most are Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar (his Guru), Mohamad Rafi, and Balamuralikrishna. I agree with you about the similarity of styles between Rafi and KJY, especially in the earlier years. BTW, Jayachandran won the national award (Upaasana...) the same year that KJY lost it (SINDHU BHAIRAVI) due to a misunderstanding on the part of the national awards selectors. I have mentioned the details in another thread a while ago.

Oldposts
GV!!!!,
jayachandran sang upaasana a long long time before sindhu bhairavi was released. that year he won the award for a song from "sri narayana guru".

Oldposts
cram:

I always thought that "Upaasana......." was from SRI NARAYANA GURU.

Oldposts
GV,

Have you listened to thalolam ? IMO a very good album especially "Orangalil" by Sudeep Kumar. Man !! What a voice!! Got mesmerized really!! I think it is set in Jog (thilank may be - never knew the difference :-)). It is a beautiful song and I have given the link below:

http://www.bharath.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?Mode=List&Code=030601&a=8DeueTVJIPdJhJaDJ5FKrbYkUWHkM35W4AGtxSG9YEMOCgnw h2T72jItZxDq

Oldposts
Murali:

I listened to "Orangalil....." after seeing your posting under the "New Faces" thread. Yes, Sudeep Kumar has a great voice, somewhat similar to KJY's voice. I have not yet listened to any other song in THAALOLAM.

Oldposts
GV,

Thalolam - I think won awards for its singers. If I remember it was Radhika tilak who won it for "Ennodenthini pinakkam". A lovable melody.

BTW,

there seems to be a version of "tere mere sapne" in Mallu by KJY and Chitra. I had heard this a lot of times at musicindiaonline.com. But the song is no more available there. Do u have an idea which film this is in ? I loved KJY's voice in this particularly as I could draw a pararllel between Rafi and KJY

Oldposts
MS: "Enodenthinee Pinakkam" ..isn't it from "Kaliyattam". Sahana, ain't it? A brilliant effort from Kaithapram. And Radhika was magnificient ,too. I thought it was Chitra until I saw the cresits in the cassette cover..and thats the highest praise I can ever think of for any female singer:)

Oldposts
Raj,

You may be right. I always fail to remember the names of the films.:-()

But songs from thalolam too are by Kaithapram - I belive. Please confirm

Oldposts
typo - believe

GV,

I think "Upaasana" came in 1972

Oldposts
Murali:

I do not know the Malayalam version of "Tere mere sapne....".

Thank you for the info on "Upaasana". I know that Jayachandran won the national award for a song in SRI NARAYANA GURU. IMO, "Upaasana" is one of Jayachandran's best songs (if not the best), and I presumed that was the award winner!

BTW, does anyone know which song he won the award for?

Oldposts
MS: I do remember film names but that's because I know very few:)). Proof of this is that I dont know about Thalolam and practically every other album that have been dissected here ,e xcept Sargam, HHA and Bharatham:))

Oldposts
Raj,

You may try the link I have given for thalolam. It is a beautiful number. I am sure you will like it

Oldposts
For an listing of a huge number of popular Malayalam song Audio Files available on different webpages, please click below:

http://members.xoom.com/msongs/index.html (http://members.xoom.com/msongs/index.html
)

The songs are listed alphabetically, with the names of the movie as well as the singer(s). Direct links to the songs are also provided.

Oldposts
Corrections:

For "a" listing of...., not "an"!!

The correct link is:

http://members.xoom.com/msongs/list.html

Oldposts
Anyone hear the songs from the new movie 'Megham?' It is Priyadarsan's latest offering. Music is by Ouseppachan. After his brilliant work in 'AniyathiPravu' I have high hopes for this album. Most Priyan films have great songs, so this one should be good!

Oldposts
For mallu song Rasikas:

I am developing a site for Mallu /tamil/hindi with very good sound qulaity. please visit:

http://music.acmecity.com/celtic/361/testtex1.htm (http://music.acmecity.com/celtic/361/testtex1.htm
)

GV, I expect your comments eagerly.

Oldposts
Sorry the link is:

http://music.acmecity.com/celtic/361/testtext1.htm

Oldposts
Murali:

I listened to all the songs, some of them more than once, and am listening to "Deva dhundhubee saandralayam...." at this very moment (for the 5th time, I think!).

You have picked some of my all-time favourites. The selection of songs as well as the quality of the recording are commendable. ENNENNUM KANNETTANTE (KJY/Jerry Amaldev/Fazil) is one of my favourite movies and the songs from the movie are great (see the thread on Fazil's movies). Songs from MANJIL VIRINJA POOKKAL (by the same team) will be a good addition to your list!

If I can be of any help in the selection of songs, do not hesitate to contact me.

Keep up the good work!

Oldposts
Dear GV,

I am thankful to your comments. BTW, can you send an e-mail so that I may know get to know your e-mail id ? I need to contact you for the growth of my web site. My intention is to provide songs with good quality. For quantity Joggy's site is always there.

I am planning to upload great melodies like "Keli nalinam" and others soon. I do not have manjil virinja pookkal with me . But I hope I will buy the CD soon.

Regards

MS

Oldposts
Murali:

My E-mail address is:

GPVarghese@msn.com

Oldposts
Thanks GV. The "Play all" option is available now

Oldposts
HI there

Does anyone know who was the MD for the movie "HIS HIGHNESS ABDULLAH". I was wondering if it was IR. I have been listening to the song "gopika vasantham" over and over again. It is really nice. Very melodious and mesmerizing. The whole song has an atmosphere of something out of this world. I suppose it is a religious song or something. I don't know malayalam so if one of you could tell me what it is about I would appreciate.

Oldposts
For a while now, I have been listening to a lot of Malayalam songs. What I find in them is that a lot of them are really melodious carnatic based songs. They seem to be very cultural. I suppose that's why Malayalam isn't listened to as widely as hindi or tamil, in recent times I mean. But I find that there is something more satisfying in these malayalam songs that I can't find in Tamil songs nowadays, and I don't even know Malayalam. But the songs are sung as though the singers are deeply moved. Of course, I have not listened to many of the pop based songs in Malayalam yet so I don't know about that. But from what I can gather, their music seems as though it was meant for Malayalis and not the entire nation. I mean that as a compliment because it shows that they are not looking up to anyone.

Oldposts
Aruvi:

Fine to hear someone appreciate Mallu songs. They deserve rich appreciation. MD for His highness is Ravindran. Please check out my site for some more mallu songs especially "Panchagni"

The link is:

http://members.xoom.com/shatjam (http://members.xoom.com/shatjam
)

Regards

MS

Oldposts
MS

I can't find the song. Is that the movie you are referring to?

Oldposts
aruvi:

the songs from Panchagni are:

Sagarangaley
aah raathri maanju poyi

Others you may want to check out:
manjal prasadavum (won a national award for chitra ?)
kaathodu kaathoram
neeyen sarga soundaryamey
thangaththala thaalam thenni

Oldposts
Hey MS

Do you know about this site. It's got a lot of wonderful Malayalam songs.

http://209.75.91.20/jkg/gaan/semi-c3.htm

Oldposts
Yes Aruvi. That is one of my inspirations. :-)

Oldposts
MS

Who's is the female voice in the song 'Aruna Kirana' from Guru?

Oldposts
aruvi:

I think it is radhika thilak.

Oldposts
Sounds like Chitra at times.

Oldposts
To all MFM fans:

Murali Shankar has uploaded a good collection of songs from Malayalam movies including:

KAMALADHALAM - Music by Ravindran
RAAJASHILPI - Ravindran
ENNENNUM KANNETTANTE - Jerry Amaldev
NAKHAKHSATHANGAL - Bombay Ravi
DHWANI - Naushad
and of course, GURU - Ilaiya Raja

To listen to these and other songs, please click below:

http://members.xoom.com/shatjam/mallusongs.html (http://members.xoom.com/shatjam/mallusongs.html
)

Oldposts
GV:

I should have done it myself. Anyway thanks a lot for putting this up here.

Regards

MS

Oldposts
MS: Could you upload YATRA(Balu Mahendra)and Padmarajan-Raja combinations? Plus Andhi veyil ponnidhurum from I-dont-know-which-movie(and given your 'proficiency' with movie names, I guess we both ned help here to decipher;-))(NOM) ).

I am badly waiting for someone to upload these songs for quite some time. Hope you end my wait

Oldposts
Hi Raj:

Welcome back. I have andhi veyil ponnudhirum with me but on tape. I think the movie is "Ulladakkam" (GV, rescue me please :-)). I donot have Yatra with me.

But this link gives you "andhi veyil ponnudhiram".

http://www.binod.com/rams/binod/anthiveyil.ram (http://www.binod.com/rams/binod/anthiveyil.ram
)

Do you feel that it is highly IRish ? I do. the bass work in the song is reminiscent of "Chinna chinna vannakkuyil".

Oldposts
MS: I do feel it is IR-ish. And there is a reason why it is IR-ish..itis infact IR!!!!It is ulladakkom, indeed.I remember now. Thanks for the link.

I think Shankar, BB and GV might know about Padmarajan-IR combinations. Hope they pass through here.
Yatra ,I think, has that Thumbi vaaa song. I am not too sure.
Hmm..let me dream atleast....;-))
Thanks for the efforts.

Oldposts
Raj:

Thumbi vaa is from Olangal (eppadi dhairiyama solrEn paartheengaLA ? :-).

Oldposts
friends,
Ulladakkam has two other terrific songs:
Paadhiraamazhai EthO
Maayaatha maari vinnithaa

Oldposts
I have made a site containing most of the malayalam film song sites on the Internet.The URL is http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/cavendish/193/index.html (http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/cavendish/193/index.html
)
All are welcome. Your suggestions are important for the development of the site.

Oldposts
Binu:

thx for including my site in your page. I have added a link in my page to yours.

MS

Oldposts
The songs of 'Sargam' are really great. Can anyone give the detail on the movie?

Oldposts
aruvi: Sargam is the debut for Vineeth,Ramba. Also stars Manoj K Jeyan (Mr. Oorvasi) and Nedumudi Venu. MD: Bombay Ravi
It's an excellent movie too. (discussed in 'artistic malayalam movies' thread)

Oldposts
But I don't like malayalam songs

Oldposts
i thought vineeth debuted in nakashshathangal.

Oldposts
Yes, vineeth's first movie was nakashshathangal w/ the late monisha.

Oldposts
I am not sure how many of you have checked out the movie "oru aal mathram" starring mammooty,srinivasan,sankaradi, maamookoya..
check it out
great movie indeed..a comedy!
there are 2 songs in the movie and they are just superb.

Oldposts
songs from the movie "Devasuram" are also excellent.
Sooryagayathri is another one
Then there was a movie by vineeth, mohini and nasser. Can't remember the name. Has great songs in it too. Has a muslim story.

Oldposts
I think after Aug no body continued with the forum is there sombody for continuing discussion on malayalam songs.Only now I found this site.

Oldposts
Can some one tell me where I can get mallu MP3s

Oldposts
After a long time I am writing in this thread :-)

I listened to a olden ggoldie of KJY recently. the song is "Alli aamabal kadavil". The melody of the song is so intense that a listener is left spellbound. This song has a new version too sung by KJY for the "swarnageetham" celebrations. Infact the newer version sounds more soothin with the bassy elegance of KJY edified in digital technology.

The romanticism of the song lies in the way it is tuned. The lyrics are absolutely simple and wonderful. The first sharaNam goes as follows:

"Thaamarappoo nee dhoorE kaNdu mOhichchu
appOl thaazE njaan neendhi
chennu poovu thattichchu
thaNdodinja thaamara njaan koNdu vannappOL
peNNE nin kaviLil kaNdu mattoru thaamarakkaadu"

mean:

"Seeing the distant lotus you fell in love with it. I swam underwater and picked the floral portion. With the flower on the broken stem when I came to you, I found in your face a lotus-garden"

The music is by KB.V.JOB. A must hear for the connoisseurs of MFM..

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/prodigy/458/alliyaambal.ram

Oldposts
Ravindran strikes again with a beautiful melody Manassin Manichimizhil... in Arayannangalude Veedu.

Oldposts
MS:

"Alliyaampal kadavil..." (lyrics by P. Bhaskaran) was to be sung by Udaya Bhanu, but he had a sore throat on the day of the recording. The producers scrambled and contacted KJY who was the "new kid on the block". KJY was reluctant because of his respect for Udaya Bhanu. At last, Udaya Bhanu himself telephoned KJY, and he agreed. As they say, the rest is history!!! The song was a super hit and helped KJY's career in a big way.

Oldposts
That is an info indeed GV!! Thx. The song though was a super-hit when it was released, the naivette of KJY's voice inthe original version is very much explicit. But the newer version..is all grace edified !

Oldposts
i recently heard a few wonderful songs from the pre-Yesudas era on Asianet (eg: thaazhampoo manamulla thanuppulla raatriyil). would like more info on that.

Oldposts
Didn't music director Deva sign on a Malayalam film??

Oldposts
Yes, he was the Md for Prince or some movie....

Oldposts
Thanks Shankar, I never knew that Deva would actually sign on a Malayalam film!

Oldposts
Hey guys, some thendi is taking my name in the Tamil Movies section, and they speak bad about Rajni, and they act as me saying Kamal is good, I don't consider Kamal a good actor BECAUSE he copied from other movies.....what kind of BS is that??? Because the administration is unfair, I cannot post, and retaliate when they talk bad about Rajni, but never to worry! They'll get some posting from me, blocking my IP won't solve anything! Rajni and Kamal are good actors, only for acting, I just happen to think Rajni is better because he is more creative, and doesn't copy movies, thats it! Now if anybody is immature to handle it.....please reply!

This is the real Mani---->(@ spider-wk064.proxy.aol.com)

Oldposts
i need a song which always i likt it . nice music and calm quite and good relief for any situations -life cycles . could you help me to hear that song

Oldposts
sorry i coldn't mentioned it ...

it's from nokkatha durathu kannum nattu....

Ayirum kannumai kathirunnu....

Oldposts
Hi, this is a reply to Mani's view that Rajni does not copy movies. If he has watched the film Muthu in tamil he would realize that it was copied from the malayalam film Thenmavin Kombathu. Copying a film does not matter. It is how with the very same content one can show how good an actor he is. I'm a very big fan of Rajni but that doesn't make me feel Kamal's a less creative actor. Rajni's got charisma and Kamal's got the ability. :)

Oldposts
Can anybody pls. tell me where I can listen to the best Malayalam songs on the net. I'm kinda fed-up searching. I did find some but many of which has very little variety. I'd like the old songs better then the new ones

Oldposts
Sheila:

For a good collection of Malayalam songs (old and new), click below:

http://members.xoom.com/praveen_mohan/ (http://members.xoom.com/praveen_mohan/
)

For a list of sites, click below:

http://members.tripod.com/~moideen/index-13.html

Oldposts
Thanx GV. :)

Oldposts
Can anybody please tell me that from where I can download malayalam and hindi mp3 songs.

Oldposts
you can download malayalam mp3's from
www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/hifi/1109/audio though
the collection is small

Oldposts
respected sirs,
i am looking for malayalam songs from the film "nelle".
thank u
george

Oldposts
Im not a malayali but last week I saw a movie
with friends..It's called Arayannagalude
Veedu...Particularly i liked the song
Deenadayalo Rama..

Oldposts
Samuel George:

For songs from NELLU, go to:

http://members.xoom.com/praveen_mohan/ (http://members.xoom.com/praveen_mohan/
)

Try the "Old Is Gold-1" section.

For other fans: NELLU has a song by Lata Mangheshkar and a chorus by Manna Dey. Music was by Salilda.

Oldposts
can anyone know if there is a music web site with the songs in thalolam, especially "Unni Urangurangu", I have a new born at home, i would love to sing that to him

Oldposts
Have been listening to Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi film music seriously since the 70s. In terms of numbers, have always found Tamil and Hindi tunes more memorable. No doubt there are many beautiful malayalam songs during Devarajan's era. But it takes a basicaly non-malayalam film music director like MSV, Elayaraja or Salil Chowdry to inject new enthusiasm into Malayalam film songs, no doubt some are copies of Tamil tunes. Listen to most Malayalam tunes today and the melody,lyrics are very average and forgetable. Why is this? Is it because Malayalam films are not famous for it's song segments, and directors, music directors are not inspired? Songs from Ragam, Nellu, Pani Thiraatha Veedu are memorable, alas they are composed by Salil & MSV! In terms of numbers, memorable Malayalam tunes seriously lag behind Tamil. The Malayalam film world needs to be rejuvenated by a great like MSV, Elayaraja, AR Rehman. KJ Joy, Shyam come closest but didn't they get training from non-Malayalam films? By the way I like 'Padinzghaaroru Palaazghi' very much from Chakravaakam for its sweeping melody changes and rhythm (Music by.....Shankar-Ganesh!)

Oldposts
Is there a place from there I can download Malayalam film songs?

Oldposts
I like the songs in 'Bharatam' very much.
Could anyone of you pl tell me where i can find the lyrics of these songs?

Many Thanks, Satya.

Oldposts
yau can download lyrics of malayalam devotional songs in malayalam from www.malayalammusic.com/main

can somebody tell me a good mp3 site to download malayalam songs, all the sites i went to are for listening in real audio only.

Oldposts
check out http://listen.to/tojo for the latest malayalam film songs in MP3

Oldposts
Rajani is good in style like Basha,But Kamal stealing that is Ok because HE MADE It.He is
the most talented actor(one )india who can do the
roles like Indian,Mrs Doubtfare's copy or some thing.Rajanikant is not so talented as mammotty or Lal in malayalam.But you Know like Sharukh Khan
in hindi. Most of the people like Rajani.Did you know Rajani is not going to die in movies( only in
couple).And his subjects and fights are not real
But Iam a fan of Rajani knowing all weakness.Because He is always fightig for justice
I saw his almost all recent tamil movies Padayappa
arunachalam,muthu,basha,veera,

Oldposts
Hey,

I was also eager to listen the song Alliyambal Kadavil.... and tried so much. Only today I could listen to that song through this site today.
Thanks

Oldposts
Can anyone please tell me where I can get mp3 songs from the malayalam movie Sindoorarekha!!!!
Please do let me know if U know...I ahve been searching the net for such a long time but with no scope of finding it!Thanks in advance!!
If U are as nice as I think you are please email me the url at anish_varghese@yahoo.com...bcos I came to this forum by brwowsing thru thousand links.So I dont know how I will come back to this site again!!!Thanks again.Anu

Oldposts
Friends could you give me the lyrics of the movie
Premageethangal. It starts with 'Nee vidaroo jeevanil pulakamayi...' acted by Shah Nawaz...

Thanks
anu

Oldposts
Guys....

I'm desperate for getting some Malayalam MP3s. Most of the sites I visit have only RAM formats. There was one link specified here by Sujit Nair. But the page was not opening it says page Not found by the Fortunecity site itself. If anyone else knows any site do send the address over to me at my email ID.

Thanx a lot guys...

Oldposts
Hi All,

Just let me know your opinion about these songs.

Minnaminungum Mayilkanniyum - My Dear Kuttichathan
Alippazham Perukkam - My Dear Kutti chatthan
Yamune Ninnude nenjil - Yathra
Thannannam Thaanannam- Yathra
Thumbi Vaa - Olangal
Vezhambal Kezhum - Olangal
Kuliraadunnu Maanathu - Olangal
Poonkattinodum - Poomukhappadilyil Ninneyum Kathu
Konji Karayalle - Poomukhappadilyil Ninneyum Kathu
Theeram thedum - Unaru
Kiliye Kiliye - Aa raathri
Vaalittezhuthiya - Onnanu Nammal
Kalkandam Kannil - Onnanu Nammal
Olathumpathu - Pappayude Swantham Appoos
Manju Peyyum Raavil - Appoos
En Poove Pon Poove -Appoos
Kaakka Poocha -Appoos
Snehathin Poonjola -Appoos
Aalaapanam - Ente Sooryaputhrikku
Raakolam - Ente Sooryaputhrikku
Raappaadi Pakshikkoottam- Ente Sooryaputhrikku
Melle Melle - Apaaratha
Karthavuyarthezhunnetta -Apaaratha
Govardhanam - Apaaratha
Thaarapatham - Anaswaram
Thaazhvaaram Manpoove - Jackpot
Munghi Munghi - jackpot
Hey Kulambadi - Jackpot
Valthum Idathum - Jackpot
Kaakala Kannamma - Yaathramozhi
Thymaavin Thanalil - Yaathramozhi
Manjolum Raathri-Yaathramozhi
All songs - Saagara Sangamam
Aatirampile - Kaalapani
Chempoove poove- Kaalapaani
Maarikoodinnullil- Kaalapani
Vande Maatharam-Kaalapani
Guru Charanam - Guru
Devasangeetham - Guru
Aruna Kiranam - Guru
Minnaaram Maanathu- Guru
Thithithey Thaalam- My Dear Kuttichaathan -New
Chirakaattikkili- My Dear Kuttichaathan-New
Chellakkaatte Nillu - Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal
Shivakara- KK Santhoshangal
Alapumazha -KK Santhoshangal
Kodamanjin Thazhvarayil-Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal.

All these songs are tuned by a non-Malayali Music Director - Maestro Ilayaraaja. I am a great fan of his and these are only some of the beautiful melodies that still linger in my mind. It is a great achievment to create such songs in a different language. Ilayaraaja is the best music director India has ever seen and these songs testify that.

Please let me know your opinions of these songs.

Rajesh

Oldposts
WHAT THE BLOODY HELLL...SOME ONE GIVE ME THE ADDRESS OF SOME MP3 SONGS IN MALAYALAM

Oldposts
Hi all,

Is there any site where i can get mp3 of "chandana lepa sugandham...." this song is my
favourite.

Thanx

Oldposts
CHANDANA LEPA SUGANDHAM

Oldposts
CHANDANA LEPA SUGANDHAM

Oldposts
hello there,
kk santhosangal songs are very good
becuase the music is by ILAYARAJA
please somebody ask the malayalam cassette industry to reduce the cost of cassetes the minimum is 50 where will the common man
and there is a big opposition to recording of songs from different movies
god what can we do please suggest

Oldposts
hello there,
kk santhosangal songs are very good
becuase the music is by ILAYARAJA
please somebody ask the malayalam cassette industry to reduce the cost of cassetes the minimum is 50 where will the common man go
and there is a big opposition to recording of songs from different movies
god what can we do please suggest

Oldposts
Great site for malayalam film music related links.
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/cavendish/193/ (http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/cavendish/193/
)

This site has a huge list of Malayalam music links. Check out !!

Oldposts
You can find some Malayalam MP3 's in
www.binod.com

Oldposts
It is good to see this thread receiving some responses now and then. I wish to write something off and on..hmm..

Oldposts
Guys..there are some mp3s at:

http://www.idrive.com/swarapriyan. This is my account. I upload those songs which I feel have something to offer to the listener.

idrive may be down for maintenance for some days. You may try dwonloading these clips later.

Enjoy !

Oldposts
A review of songs in AyaaL kathaiyezuthugaiyaaNu:

Heard that this album s by Raveendran. In such a case atleast a good song in the movie is inescapable.

(1) Aakaashathaamari pOlE: (6/10) - mood:upbeat- lead tune - classical

This song is a flick from the carnatic song - KRishnaa nee bEganE baarO. But on the pallavi's first line is a flick. All the other lines are Raveendran's original compositions. The whole song, I think is set in KalyaaNi. The highlight of the song is the arabic orchestration with a dramatic usage of drums. I have one big qualm about Raveendran's usage of violins. The violins are extremely loud and shrieky. This is a regular feature of all his songs. This song especially has jarring violins.

Mano has lent his voice to give some arabic humming. OTH, the song is lengthy and is a nice song to have in your collection. But the mood of the song is upbeat. KJY's voice is not as pleasant as it was in 3 yrs ago.

IMO, this is one of the few songs in the category of carnatic - pop fusion.

(2) yEdhO nidhrathan: (9/10) - mood:lullaby - lead tune - classic

A beautiful melody carved out of ragam mohanam with necessary anya swara prayOGam to embellish. The song has two versions - KJY and Sujatha. My choice is the version of KJY. Raveendran's stamp is all over the song. It is set in rupaka thaaLam (call it viennese waltz) with the percussion being underplayed well so that the song is not killed. The melody starts with a short prelude with the flute dominating. The sharanam is accompanied by tabla which is a pleasant transformation. A must hear for all the MFM fans.

(3)Kuppy vaLa:(7/10) - mood:romantic - lead tune - classic and thingaLoru (clone) - by chitra - solo

This song is also set in mohanam with extra swaras buttin. Sung by sujatha and MGS , it is reminiscent of the old age songs. It reminds us especially of "aahaa inba nilaavinilE OhO jagamE aadiduthE" - atamil melody from maayaa bazaar. The ifrst interlude is very much similar to the "thana tham tham tham tham tham tham" of "raasaavE unnai naan eNNi thaan" - a tamil song from the film "murattukkaaLai". The second interllude is a naive attempt but does not affect the fabric of the song. A good song.

The first prelude also reminds us of the recent song "kurukku chiruththavaLE's flute prelude. My choice is the chitra's version.

(4) MaanE: (7/10) mood - upbeat lead tune - classical

The song is supoosedly set in Abheri. The orchestration is very pop-pish though the tune is highly classical. The song takes wild turns. IT is a good experiment though not very appealing. Wouldn't be in any of my lists, but will not shun if played.

(5) Marathakakaavil: (3/10) mood - upbeat lead tune - arbitrary

Not worth a comment. The song is a "Dappaanguthu" in mallu "adip pOLi" song. The tune is not so energetic to brand it as a hyper energy song. It is an excuse for a song. My suggestion - don't listen to it until you are forced.

'll come out with more reviews if interested. All these songs (mp3 clips) can be found at:

http://www.myplay.com (http://www.myplay.com
)

Send me a mail if you are interested. Will tell you login & password.

Enjoy !

Oldposts
Here's my comments on 'Ayaal..':

The moment I got the songs and knew they were by Raveendran, I couldn't resist expecting HH.abdulla,Bharatham standards. (i confess i have heard only a few mallu albums.) And was disappointed.. But after a few listenings, the songs have grown on me a bit.

I don't have very detailed comments on each song as MS has reviewed them quite nicely. I do agree with him more or less. My ratings would be:

1. yetho nidhrathan (A-) : clearly the best song in this album. Melodious and gets a 'once more'. The melody sounded to me like carved out of the mohanam part in 'deva sabhathalam' (HHA).
2. kuppy vala (B): MS is right. Sounds like oldtime melody - 'aahaa inba nilaavinile' comparison was apt :-). Vaasanthi touches are there.
3. Maane (B-): reminds me 'tu badi' (HHA) for some reason.
4. aakaashathaamarai (B-) : Most of the parts are 'arbitrary'. May be this is situation dependent. People who have seen the movie can add more.
5. marathakakaavil (C)

Overall, IMO this is a just-above-average fare. A couple of good melodies, some 'wild' compositions, but not-so-imaginative orchestration throughout. Nothing novel. I give it a 'B'.

Oldposts
RR:

Can you give review of some other albums too ? I shall join you then and there.

Oldposts
Sure, MS. Will comment on 'Pallavoor..' next. If you have time, go ahead post yours too.

Oldposts
Pallaavoor dhEvanaarayanan:

Another album by Raveendran. After a slightly depressing work in "ayaaL kathaiyezuthugaiyaaNu", I had my doubts. Here is a review and preview of the songs.

PoliyO poli: (4/10) mood - upbeat, lead tune - classical - raga - madhyamaavathi

It is now fashionable for the heroes of the films to prove their mettle in singing too. Sometimes we get an output that is pleasant and sometimes an output not worth a mention. This song falls in the middle :-) The song set in the raga madhyamaavathi had been "tried" by mammootty. The song starts with an old man (probably thilakan - who is the mallu equivalent Vijayakumar in tail) sating a few "words" and you instantly get a feeling of discomfort. Anyway, after that initial ride on this rough voice, mammootty sings the first line with a bass guitar' support and vocal harmony. After this comes a garland of beats - a really good variation using tabla and drums. This is the most appealing part of the song for me. The rest of the song is set almost fully on tabla. The interludes are tolerable. Mammotty's voice is like a 10 year kid 's practicing varnam or geetham :-) If anybody has heard "Vannaathip puzaiyudE theeraththu", he can immediately recognize that the line " poliyO poli pOkkil;E naakkilE" going in tune with "thiruvaathiraiyil sree paarvathiyaai". Madhyamaavathi is one raagam where unless the composer is a genius, not anything new can be churned out. The tabla beats in the song are pretty much like punjabi bhangra. The shehnaai usage is arbitrary. My suggestion is that you may try this song for partying.

(2) VaarththingaLaal: (8/10) mood - ruthrathaaNdavam like - lead tune - classical -raga - hindhOLam

A GEM in Raveendran's repertoire. Set in the raga hindhOLam, I can hardly find an anya swaram. To my naive ears the song seems to be carnatically pure. But one cannot escape "azagu malar aada" - atamil song from "vaidhEhi kaaththirunthaaL" by IR slowly creeping into the mids. As I mentioned already, it is difficult to carve out a melody from a pentatonic raga very different from the existing songs. This song is a perfect example of how a composer of raveendran's calibre can tune a song in a common raga but give a totally different dimension through a good orchestration. The song has two versions - solo(KJY) and a duet(KJY, KSC).

Though one of the biggest fans of KJY, I must admit that the gamakam in KJY's voice is almost nil :-( The swara sanchaaras at the end of the song lack flavour of both KJY and raagam :-( There are a couple of places where his swara rendition is just like a talk. In his heydays, songs like "nakshathra dheepangaL" which are capable of giving any singer a kick, came to him as if they are his most obedient pets. The gamakam and bassy command that he expressed in those kinds of songs are totally lacking now. He sounds very much strained.

Coming out the interludes of the song, the first interlude needs a mention here there is a line which is a note-by-note flick of "Saamaja varagamana" (the fiddle). But the flute and the violins give a richness. The second intelrude has a variety of thaLa structures, but here too the fiddle part has been flicked from a tamil song " malarO nilavO malaimagaLo". The ending portion "G M M D N S G M M D N S G M M D N S". This song has been rendered by JEyachandran. It is one heck of a long interlude.

The final portion of the song has the swaras of KJY which are not so attractive.

(3) ElapulayantE (7/10): mood - song in a paddy field probably and upbeat - lead tune - classic

This is beautiful folksy song set in a two ragas. The first one seems to be naattak kurinji as it reminds heavily of "oru murai vanthu paarththaayaa" and "kaNNaamoochchi yEnada" but once it changes beat it jumps to brindhaavaNi. The violins in the interlude give you no clue as to what is going on during the transition from one raga to the other. But it sounds great. The final flute piece is worth hearing more than twice. A fantastic but fast paced delilvery of brindhaavani.

A qualm I have is the harsh choral harmony that raveendran uses in most of his songs. He should reconsider. A worthy number.

(4) Pularinilaavu:(7/10) mood -classical lead tune - classical

A song set predominanly in madhyamaavathi with a hell lot of anya swaras. A song worthy of being in our collection. The greatness of the song is in the differences "santham" or "meter" that raveendran effects through out the song. A semi-classical, establishing the title of the movie.

(5) Mridhanga jathi:

Not much to say as it is just jathi. A connoisseur of mridhangam may appreciate if he is capable of imagining a dancer of Dhivyaa uNNi's calibre in his eyes :-)

(6) Sanchara ratha: KJY

Once again does not invoke a comment as it is set in pancha vaadhyam of which I am not a big fan. But raveendran plays his stamp all over by the variation in thaaLa and the tune. The tune is vague and gives no idea as to what ragam it could be though I could hear something similar to thOdi at the end. KJY SOUNDS GREAT !

All these songs (mp3 clips) can be found at:

http://www.myplay.com

Send me a mail if you are interested. Will tell you login & password.

Enjoy !

Oldposts
The real audio clips of "ayaaL kathaiyezuthugaiyaaNu" are available at:

http://www.geocities.com/tojop/real.html (http://www.geocities.com/tojop/real.html
)

Oldposts
can u tell me who sang the song "ponvala illengilum ponnada illengilum ponnin kudam ennum ponnin kudam" A.M.raja or is it udayabhanu?

Oldposts
My comments on Pallavoor Devanarayanan.

1. poliyo poli (B-): Mammoty's singing is average, but the tune is lilting and hummable.
2. vaarthingalaal (B): This is a mixed masala on the overly-used hindolam. The composition moves from one style to another in no time - wild. As pointed out by MS, you even find 'samaja vara gamana' in one interlude. The second interlude (veena piece) seems to use N3 and give chandrakauns feeling. KJY swaras are out of meter, at some places..
3. elapulayante (B): folkish song. fast paced.
4. sanchara ratha (B+): whoever has played the 'udukku'(?) has done a very good job..! You can listen to this song, just for that. The melody sounds complicated: keeps shifting ragas at will. I could hear some shades of natakurinji,valaji,shanmugapriya,thodi. KJY spans a good range in this song, however the 'udukku' beats are the highlight in this song.
6. sindhuraaruna (A): This is a brief ragamalika set in sahana, kanada, madhyamavathi. No beats or any other accompanyment. Just chitra's brilliant voice! Must listen. (MS, did you miss it or is it wrongly classified under 'Pallavoor..' :)

This album is certainly better than 'aayaal..', not too much. Gets a B+ .

Thanks MS, for the brilliant sound quality .mp3 clips.

Oldposts
You guys forgot to mention songs from "DEVASURAM".

Oldposts
You guys forgot to mention songs from "DEVASURAM".

Oldposts
Menaka:

I dont have the songs of DhEvaasuram with me. I am writing reviews of those songs for which I have mp3 clips. Once I obtain them, I shall give a detailed review of the same.

RR:

thx. I do not really know why I left out SindhooraaruNa - a great rendition by Chithra. IT is indeed a brilliant number and is from the same film.

I shall soon write about "Friends" and "Harikrishnans" - the former by IR and the latter by Ouesphachchan.

Oldposts
menaka: why don't you post a review of Devasuram?

Oldposts
Songs of dhEvaasuram:

(1) http://www.keralam.org/Soorya.ram (http://www.keralam.org/Soorya.ram
)
(2) http://pendulam.com/jkg/ra/carnatic/sarasi-j.ra (http://pendulam.com/jkg/ra/carnatic/sarasi-j.ra
)
(3) http://www.keralam.org/ShreePadam.ram (http://www.keralam.org/ShreePadam.ram
)

I could pool up only these three songs of dhEvaasuram. To me, they do not sound to be the most wornderful creations, but they are definitely good. Search for Devasuram in "google" and you will find it to be listed in many pages as the one of those films in which Mohanlal is stunning. It is considered on par with HHa and Bharatham. Musically, IMO, not so. But this is based on the three songs I have given above.

Oldposts
Review of Summer in Bethelehem :
--------------------------------

An album by Vidhyaassagar. After his classic "veNNilaa chandhanak kiNNam" in "azakiya raavaNan" my respect for him had gone up by many orders of magnitude. This album , IMO, is another good one from VS.

EthrayO jenmamaai: (7/10)(mood - romantic, lulling lead tune - classic)

The song features a new voice - Srinivasan (not sure if it is the same Srinivas of tamil) which is a welcome change. Though one cannot get tired of listening to KJY over and over, time has come to allow new voices in the arena for the simple reason that KJY is getting older and so is his voice. With MGS is notching up the highest number of songs after KJY, there needs to be whiff of fresh air in the male vocal portions and it is good to see VS experimenting.

On to the song. The song is predominantly set in Aanandha bhairavi (atleast in the pallavi). One cannot help being reminded of the lines "thEdinEn kaadhalaal Odivaa" from the MSV song "engE avaL" when Srinivasan/sujatha sing "ethrayO jenmamaai". nice melodic song.

kunnimani: (5/10) (mood - upbeat, lead tune - folksy)

The raga mohanam has remained as one of the most used and abused ragams in the film hiistory. IF VS is called "ARR of MFM" this song does justice to it. The choral harmony that VS has used is clearly rahmanic. There is nothing to rave about. It is a song. not so bad not so good. but soft.

maarivillin: (5/10) (mood - heavily upbeat, lead tune - poppish)

The beat is highly poppish. The lead tune is set apparently in harikaambOji with anya swarams showing their faces occassionally. The formulation of the pallavi and first portion of the sharanam are good. The sharanaM's end cacophonically. No great interludes. When the singers sing "kunninu ..kootti nadakkum", it is very much reminiscent of "kaatu muyalukku pani pidikkum gaanakkuyilukku..pidikkum aaNi vErukku maN pidikkum pombaLaikku kili pidikkum" of "kuchchi kuchchi raakkamaa.

My observation : the song does not make an impact. You may or may not take it in your collection - you are better either way.

Oru raathri koodi: (10/10) (lead tune - classical, mood -romantic)

just one word- FANTASTIC ! This is the song of the album ! What a melody ! It is this kind of melodies that VS is capable of giving but is restraining himself because of the commercial constraints. A MUST in MFM collector's racks ! The song is very much reminiscent of "malarE mounamaa". Every time the sharaNam ends, (eg "manasindE paatu kEttuvO"), I am overwhelmed with tears in my eyes ! The sharaNam ends totally unconventionally with an extended aalaap. Such is the power of the melody in this song. It has two versions: - a duet and solo sung by (default) KJY. Go for the duet version. You'll start loving chithra (or her voice or whatever :-)) immly. It may be said to be composed in a variant of kaanada (which ofcourse is the fav of VS). But you will never find it unless you look for it !

The talents of VS are manifest in this song. The interludes flow without hindering the melody. Infact, one will rarely notice that they are there. Such a melody packed song !

PuncillamEl:

a variant of maarivillin but sung by chithra with choral harmony. You DO get reminded of a portion of "oooh lalala.." song. I would prefer this to maarivillin.

chooLamadichchu:

A song not worthy of hearing set in madhyamaavathi + brindhaavaNi. Could have been a good song had it been set in a different rhythm.

Confusion: (8/10) (mood - heavily upbeat, lead tune - classical)

Ha..a song with a difference ! Set in "ShaNmugap priyaa" the song can very well be sung in carnatic concerts with lyrics altered. The song is clearly inspired from "mayilErum vadivElanE" and reminds you instantly of "kaathal kasakkuthaiyaa". But the disco rhythm takes it to a different level. A song with a difference and deserves a place among the indipop collections. MGS has done a great job. But I would have loved to have SPB in it though his malayaaLam sucks big time :-)

OTW, the album is a good buy.

E-mail me if you want the mp3 clips.

Oldposts
MS,
I also like that song a lot. 'Oru raathiri koodi'...

Can you give me the raga of the song 'kalari vizhakku' from Oru vadakkan veeraakatha...

Oldposts
Mmmm...anyone know just how big the songs of 'Nokkettha doorathu kannum nottu' were when they released in 84?

Oldposts
BTW, MS, what do you think of the songs from films like Priyam and Niram, not to mention Satyam Sivam Sundaram.:-))? In the latter, I liked Walking in the moon light.

Personally, I thought that KJY sounded great in the mizhiyariyaatha song in Niram. What raag is it? It sounded very different for a mallu song...with syth music and everything.

Oldposts
Hi aruvi:

Oru rathri koodi is one of the numbers which keep you listen to them over and over.

"nOkkeththaaththa dhooraththu kaNNum thottu" has two fantastic songs and I remember them being played over and over in the radio when the movie hit the theatres. "aayiram kaNNumaayi"- and "kiLiyE kiLiyE" by chithra are two nostalgic melodies I can remember. (dig :Infact, I associate my memories with my grandpa in Alleppey with these songs) :-)). The portion "paingiLi malar thEnkiLi" makes you listen to it repeatedly.

I reserve my comments on Niram for my review :-) I have not heard the songs of priyam and SSS. IS there a link where I can listen to them ?

Oldposts
You can check the songs out at www.binod.com

Oldposts
If you are interested in Live malayalam music.. Vist http://listen.to/narayan

Oldposts
Hello
very good collection..
Thanx lot

Oldposts
From where I can download old malayalam songs

Oldposts
Naveen, check
http://www.pendulam.com/jkg/gaan/index.html (http://www.pendulam.com/jkg/gaan/index.html
)

It's Joggy's site. Has a really great collection of songs.

Oldposts
thanks a lot.
one more thing from where i can get songs of
"Kaliyattam"

Oldposts
from where i can get details about malayalam film songs such as music dir, lyrics writer, film name,etc

Oldposts
very good collection of good songs. please add more.
thank you

Oldposts
very good collection of good songs. please add more.
thank you

Oldposts
Any good website from where I can get lyrics of old and not-so-old(80's) malayalam songs? Thanks.

Oldposts
Can anybody tell me where I can find songs from an old movie called "PICNIC". I am specifically looking for a song starting as "Theyom Theyom Thare"

Thanks

Oldposts
I want to hear the song 'Kannadi Pottum Thottu...'from the film 'Pranayavarnanghal', could anyone advice me on this?

Oldposts
Just want to say that " Kiliye Kilye" from
Nokkatha Dooratha sounded very similar to
Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham from the Hindi Movie
"Choti Si Bhaat".Is it inspired/copied
Any more comments on this.

Oldposts
Hi aruvi
mizhiyariyaatha song in Niram is loosely based
on Raag Sahaana.

Oldposts
Hey, you can checkout http://listen.to/tojo for latest Malayalam songs in MP3.

Oldposts
Hi
I am looking for songs from films Jaathakam ( Music R Somasekharan ) & Nammude Naadu ( Music by Vidhyadharan ). Can anybody help?

Oldposts
www.binod.com has an good collection. don't miss it

Oldposts
PODA PULLUKALE

Oldposts
what was the recent Bombay Ravi film caed pleez and was it a hit.
caanyone tell me why you cant get cassettes of new songs in london anymore.

Oldposts
hi Raju,

it is Five star Hospital and it was not a very big hit...

Oldposts
Still the songs are good - especially Ithra Madhurikkumo ....

Oldposts
Folks:

For any who would have fantasized as to how a rafi song may have been sung by yesudas the following link is a real treat. the song "thErE mErE sapnE" has been sung by KJY/Chitra:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?Mode=ReDirect&Code=03060902&a=shg46hdj487bdh38hh4h87h49sh332c4512

Oldposts
This post is to just emphasize on the credentials of the siinger Sudeep kumar - a relatively newbie in MFM. The first song I had was from thalolam. The rendition was just great (sometimes I had a doubt if it coudl be KJY. But there seems to be a difference in the pronunciation). He displays an amazing control over his voice.

Some of his good songs are:

(1) Orangalil - http://www.musicindiaonline.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?Mode=ReDirect&Code=0306010H&a=shg46hdj487bdh38hh4h87h49sh332c4512" (http://www.musicindiaonline.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?Mode=ReDirect&Code=0306010H&a=shg46hdj487bdh38hh4h87h49sh332c4512)

(2) thiruvathira - http://pendulam.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pendulam/rajukebox.cgi?file=http://129.171.198.37/jkgeorge/ra/light5/thiruvathira-sk.ra (http://pendulam.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pendulam/rajukebox.cgi?file=http://129.171.198.37/jkgeorge/ra/light5/thiruvathira-sk.ra
)

(3) aavani poovani - http://pendulam.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pendulam/rajukebox.cgi?file=http://129.171.198.37/jkgeorge/ra/light5/aavani-poov.ra (http://pendulam.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pendulam/rajukebox.cgi?file=http://129.171.198.37/jkgeorge/ra/light5/aavani-poov.ra
)

(4) kathoram - http://pendulam.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pendulam/rajukebox.cgi?file=http://129.171.198.37/jkgeorge/ra/light5/kaathoram-kann.ra (http://pendulam.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/pendulam/rajukebox.cgi?file=http://129.171.198.37/jkgeorge/ra/light5/kaathoram-kann.ra
)

I think he is a promising new talent and is set to take MFM by storm.

Oldposts
MS:

Thanks for the "Tere mere sapney..." link. Great song, isn't it?

Oldposts
GV - that link was specially for you :-)

Oldposts
MS:

Thanks, once again!! Check the thread on "Fazil's Malayalam Films & Tamil Remakes".

Oldposts
hi

can anyone tell me where i can find the song "himasailasaikatha...from saliniente koottukari?

thanks

Oldposts
hi

i am going to india after 2 years. can anyone suggest me good songs to record or buy(or films having good songs) in the last two years. i have upto "krishnagudiyil...". my taste is songs like "pinneyum pinneyum..."

thanks

Oldposts
I want to download songs of kireedam in mp3 format can you advice me where to find it.

Oldposts
where can i get the lyrics to that song in kireedom, please and its meaning

Oldposts
please help me to locate kecheri's sanskrit songs in malayalam films.

Oldposts
randi,
try this...
http://www.pendulam.com/jkg/gaan/index.html

Oldposts
are there any good sites where i can find mp3 versions or atlerast ra versons of new ilayaraja movies like Kochu kochu sandosham, yaathramozhi etc,? most of the mallu sites dont have that many IR songs and its a shame.

Oldposts
vijay

Try
http://listen.to/tojo

or go to a search engine and type 'tojo'

Also check out www.binod.com for a good selection.

Oldposts
thanx aruvi. i have tried binod a long time back i'll try tojo.

Oldposts
Can you name the films?

Punchchirichaal poonnilavu uthikkum (KJY)

Chirichchum Kondu ekayayi Odivannu Sarar kaalathile mullappoove

Oldposts
I would appreciate if someone can help me find the following songs or name the films:

Chirichum kondu ekayayi odi vanna Sarar kaalathile mullappoove (KJY and PS, I think)

Punchirichaal ppoonnilavu uthikkum (KJY)

Thank you much

Oldposts
hi,

can anyone give any information (history) of mAdhuri)? she seemed to have a unique voice. tia.

Oldposts
aruLaracan:

I have heard a "story" about Madhuri's singing career. She apparently won first prize in a music contest in Madras. Malayalam MD Devarajan was the chief judge at this contest.. While presenting her with the prize, Devarajan told her that if she could learn to sing in Malayalam properly, he would give her a chance in movies. She became fluent in Malayalam in a very short time and became a popular singer in Malayalam films (1970-s).

Disclaimer: The accuracy of this story is unconfirmed:-))))))

Oldposts
thanks gv.

Oldposts
For a huge collection of Malayalam songs listed under names of players (15 + other) please click below:

http://www.ekait.com/puzha/cgi-bin/shawaudstn.cgi (http://www.ekait.com/puzha/cgi-bin/shawaudstn.cgi
)

Even though all directions are in English, the songs themseves are listed in Malayalam.

Oldposts
Correction:

http://www.ekait.com/puzha/cgi-bin/shwaudstn.cgi

Oldposts
what about ilaiyaraja's music in kochu kochu sandoshangal?I am a tamilian and i am proud of ilaiyaraja's music in kaliyoonjalu,friends and now kallukonduru pennu? From where can i load these songs?

Oldposts
hi guys
can u tell from where can io download malayalam mp3
pls
mail meat
macmohan_das@hotmail.com

Oldposts
Hi, if anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking for the title of a song...it should be something like "Swarna meen" or "Swarna meeninde" (Goldfish) -- the song is about how a woman has beautiful eyes like a goldfish.

It is a great duet between Yesudas and Jaychandran, and there is also a female singer who I don't know.

My mom had it on a compilation tape, and the tape is beginning to go bad, so we have no idea what movie it is from (if from a movie), or anything!
I think it is probably early-mid 1980s, but am not sure (definitely before 1990, because I've been hearing that song since I was a kid).

I'm trying to get her a new recording of the song for her birthday, so I would really appreciate it if you could help!! Movie title, actual song title, etc. Thanks! (Please email me directly as I'm not sure how to get back to this page).

Sujit

Oldposts
Sujit,

The song is 'Swarna Meeninte Chellulla Pennane....'.I too don't know the film. But, this song has SPB in addition to Yesudas and Jayachandran. I think this is the only Malayalam song which has featured all three legends.

Oldposts
hi logesh aravindan ,
Illayaraja's songs in 'Kochu kochu santhoshangal ' seems to be good... but don't u think he lacks variety?

Oldposts
hi , can anybody tell me where can I get the song "Indupushpam Choodi Nilkkum Raathri" from film 'Vaishaali' ?
thanks

Oldposts
can anybody tell me from which movie the song

"indu sundara susmitham thookum
kunju mullaye marodu cherkkum
manju makanda sakhi than
harsha marmmaram keetu njan innurangi" is???

thanks

Oldposts
if any body have the song 'love can move a mountain' bye celine dion, plis let me know,

Urs Jack

Oldposts
dear jacky,

that song is from the movie "karuthamme njan chanku potti chaavum" ennulla movie il ninnanu. valare famous aaya song aanu keetto mikkavarum ellarudeyum kiyil kaanum.

Oldposts
why i can't download a song from puzha eventhough i have realplayerg2 in my system.
whenever i try to download i get the message that there should be components yet to be downloaded ..is it ok to download all those files or will it use a whole lot of my harddisk space?
help me out.

Oldposts
components down load cheyyan undengil athu down load cheyyu sahodara veruthe kidannu nenjathu kiyittadichu nilavilikkathe.

Oldposts
Firstly, ende malayalam shemikunum. Enike malayalam padugal de mobile tunes vanerthu. Aaregalum anthu enne email cheyuga.

I am looking for mobile tunes for malayalam songs. Something like "Manchil virinche puvae" or whatever is available.

Gathi ketta, puli pulum kayukum.

Oldposts
What do u guys think about the great MG Sreekumar?

Oldposts
ehheheh INDU.. akashara thettu undalle?? aara malayalam padippiche?? kanakku padikkina mash aano aavo. aa enna engilum aavatte? chodhikkunnathil thetti dharikkaruthu. what is a mobile tune?

Oldposts
please tell me where can i downloads good malayalam film songs
Thanx
George

Oldposts
go to http://kerala8.tripod.com/index.html for all the songs

Oldposts
What do you all think of the songs from Thenkasippattanam?

Oldposts
where do i get mp3 for malayalam film songs (1993-1997)
classical based

Oldposts
The following site: http://kerala8.tripod.com/index.html doesn't seem to work.

Oldposts
This is to an early response stating what is the impression of M.G. Sreekumar. He has a terrible voice and mainly good for Masala songs. In my opinion he does not have the class of Yesduas and Jayachandran. There are lot of good singers in Kerala who have not been given a chance to make their mark. Sreekumar came to forefront thanks to Mohanlal and Priyadarshan. In my opinion among the new brand of singer Biju Narayanan has a good chance in the future.

Oldposts
where can i listen to songs from 'mazha'?(I hope i got the name correct)

Oldposts
From dennismathewphilip@yahoo.com
where i can download songs of alaipayuthe

Oldposts
malayalam film music is shit

Oldposts
Vince or Anu or Siby:
Which film is this song from??
This song came somewhere between 1982 - 85
Male/female song.
Male voice - Yeshudas.
Female - ??

The first lines are:

" Illikadum, chella kattum
Thammil cherum, Nimisham"

Which film is this song from?
Anyone help. I like this song a lot, so calming

Oldposts
anybody has any information about raag based songs in malayalam

Oldposts
anybody has any information about raag based songs in malayalam

Oldposts
Need help in identifying a song!

I was watching this song in DD4 yesterday. It had Jayaram. The opening was a rather fast tune, very western and dancy. Hariharan butted in for the first para in chaste hindi...surprisingly, the tune of this piece was SAME as an old ghazal by Hariharan, which he had composed himself. The ghazal was 'jab se owh mahpara gaya, shaame gham ka sahara gaya...'.

I waould like to know the name of the movie and who composed this song. Considering Hari himself has sung this song, how did he agree to his own ghazal being used? Unless of course, Hari is the composer himself!

--Karthik

Oldposts
Did hariharan sing the whole song or did anyone else sing the song like: sreekumar, yesudas, chithra etc...

It could be a song from Millennium Stars if it had Biju Menon in the song.

Oldposts
It definitely had more (maybe 2 more) male singers part from Hariharan. He just sang the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs which were tuned after his ghazal. Wonder if the composer took his permission - anyway he'd have known 'cos he sang it - on both occasions.!

--Karthik

Oldposts
One of my friend sugegsted that it could be from the movie 'vakkalathu narayanan kutty'. Any idea who scored the music for this movie?

And where can I hear/download the songs from this movie?

--Karthik

Oldposts
The song is not from Vakkalathu Narayanan Kutty because none of the songs from Vakalathu had hariharan singing the song. The music in Vakkalathu Narayanankutty was done by Mohan Sithara and Lyrics by Girish Puthenchery

If you want to hear the songs go to:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/malayalam

Oldposts
Correction
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/malayalam/

Oldposts
Hai,, I am very intersted in malayalam movie songs

Oldposts
e3rwer43

Oldposts
jyhykfhwe
ugwlkdxk
iguwegldxewd
guyilwedx
ioy;yhewwqe
yiozxwq
guio;w

Oldposts
"Swarna meeninte" is in Movie Sarpam.

Oldposts
MR> KARTHIK
I THINK THAT SONG IS EITHER FROM THE FILM "MILLENIUM STARS" OR FROM "SATYAM SIVAM SUNDARAM" . IN M.STARS I HEARD THAT HARIHARAN MADE A GUEST APPEARANCE

Oldposts
punchirichaal poonilavu udikkum id from the movie sreedevi.it had kamalahaasan and soman along with sarada in it.

I feel the best current music director in malayalam is raveendran.Any commets ?

swarana meeninte is from sarpam and the music was scored by K J joy.It was a song in the raga Gowri manohari.

search in the we b for ragakairalyu will get a detailed raga wise listing of mallu songs til date hosted by kishore kumar.

On any day malayalam songs r more melodious.

Wht abt 25 films in which salil chowdhary was the music director ?

i feel all those songs were amazing.

Oldposts
punchirichaal poonilavu udikkum id from the movie sreedevi.it had kamalahaasan and soman along with sarada in it.

I feel the best current music director in malayalam is raveendran.Any commets ?

swarana meeninte is from sarpam and the music was scored by K J joy.It was a song in the raga Gowri manohari.

search in the we b for ragakairalyu will get a detailed raga wise listing of mallu songs til date hosted by kishore kumar.

On any day malayalam songs r more melodious.

Wht abt 25 films in which salil chowdhary was the music director ?

i feel all those songs were amazing.

Oldposts
sir, I want old malayalam film songs and new songs
Thenum vayambum, ottakombil, kliveeduuraghiyallow
iwant this songs because i like old songs.
thank you.

Oldposts
I am interested in purchasing DEVOTIONAL SONGS, CD, sung by Yesudas from old Malayalam movies, like Guruvayoorappan, Srimad Bhagavad Geeta, Swami Ayyappan, Devi Kanyakumari etc. I have tried saregama.com (Gramophone Company of India Ltd) site, but failed to find any. Can any one help me? Also, if anybody is having such type of songs in MP3 format and interested in exchanging?

Oldposts
how can i download new malayalam songs?

Oldposts
Dear Sir,

The song"Talirritta kinaakal" which was sung by S.Janaki was from which movie?I'd also like to have some malayalam song lyrics.Thank you.

Oldposts
I saw your profile and would like to correspond with you. Please view my profile and let me know if you are interested. Even if you are not, please notify me. Thanks. Waiting for your response

Oldposts
I am looking for new malayalam film songe(mp3). How can I download new songs?

Oldposts
i think Suresh peters is the best malayalam music director,yet, he was the one who made the music to thenkasipattanum and Punjabi house. he is a lot better than vidyasagar cause he has his own style of music. vidyasagar just tries to copy A. Rahman and he is not valuable cause he does a lot of movies, he just wants the money. everybody is tired of his songs now. suresh peters only does one or two movies a year. so he is really valuable. his next movie is Ravanaprabhu. which is the second part of Devasuram. the star is going to be Mohan lal and the actress is going to be the girl from the hindi movie,"hey Ram",Vasundarada das . she also sang the tamil hit song," shakalaka baby", she is a great actress. and i am sure that ravanaprabhu is going to be the #1 movie in India. and every indian in america should see it. just go to www. everest theatres.com, they play indian movies. and the site will tell you where the nearest everest theatre that is close to you is located . Ravanaprabhu is the best movie that suresh peters has done so far, i heard the songs of ravanaprabhu, it was the best of suresh peters. so i think the movie" Ravanaprabhu" opens sometime between october and december, but go to everest theatres.com and they will tell you when it will come,ok. and pleeeeeeaaaaaase see it cause in this movie, mohan lal is " narasimham style". and again suresh peters is doing the music.

Oldposts
dear jacob mathew, all you have to do is go to Winamp.com, and click on download and they will tell you the directions. they have malayalam and tamil songs too.

Oldposts
hey, anyone knows sites that have mallu movie/comedy *VIDEO* clips ? Some that I know are ..
1.http://members.nbci.com/chandrant/comedy/comedy.html (http://members.nbci.com/chandrant/comedy/comedy.html
)
2.www.binod.com
3.http://www.inetzon.com/video/malayalam/video.htm (http://www.inetzon.com/video/malayalam/video.htm
)
4.http://mmdb.unni.com/

Oldposts
hey roy, you should check out Numtv.com, just sign up, click on Surya TV , click on archives and then click on narma Lahari for comedy clips, click on Puthiya Pattukal to see new songs. and for new movie trailers and clips, you can click on either Vellithara, Trailor time and for location reports and stuff click on CinemaScope, the best one is trailor time. so we hope that helps you out.

Oldposts
correction: go to qwprice.com, click on mallu music and then click on any new movie and click on the songs to hear it.
-nidhu and tinku

Oldposts
i think Vidyasagar is the best music director in the malayalam music industry. over the last 5 years since he joined the malayalam music world he is th best. out of 23 films he has done so far 16 turned out to be the best hits. within 5 years 3 state awards- 1996 for Azhakiya Ravanan, 1998 for Pranayavarnangal and 2000 for Devadoothan. he has also bagged the critics award for the year 1997, 1998 and 1999.