PDA

View Full Version : Remembering the past of magician A.R.Rahman

Ramakrishna
23rd August 2006, 11:21 PM
10 great albums of A.R.Rahman (both tamil and Hindi)

My picks(not in any order):
1. Kadhalan
2. Lagaan
3. Duet
4. Roja
5. Puthiya Mugam
6. Alaipayuthey
7. Muthu
8. Taal
9. RDB
10. Vande Mataram

10 great songs of A.R.Rahman (both tamil and Hindi)

My picks(Not in any order):
1. Thoda thoda(Indira)
2. Puthu vellai mazhai (Roja)
3. Ishq Bina (Taal)
4. Chale Chalo (Lagaan)
5. Lukka chuppi (RDB)
6. Ennavale (Kathalan)
7. varaayo thozhi (Jeans)
8. Vetri kodi kattu (Padaiyappa)
9. Oruvan oruvan (Muthu)
10. Yaro Yaarodi (Alaipayuthey)

I am sure it will be a tough one. But give it a try :thumbsup:

m_23_bayarea
23rd August 2006, 11:27 PM
Man, yo're askin me to compile the whole career of Gurunaathar ARR pretty much !! Tough ask Ram !! :P

But lemme give it a shot !!

JEANS

DIL SE

INDIAN

GENTLEMAN

KAADAL DESAM

KAADALAN

BOMBAY

KAADALAR DHINAM

MINSAARA KANAVU

MUTHU

TAAL

THAKSHAK

PUKAR

RANGEELA

etc etc ... :thumbsup:

Will mention more as I RECOLLECT !!! :D :D

sloshed
24th August 2006, 03:41 AM
hmm .. lemme give a try ... though with a disclaimer that these are the rehman songs I can listen irrespective of the time period.... (in other words.. will stand the test of (my) time).. I have refrained from mentioning hindi songs...these ones are only his tamil numbers...

1. Nenje Nenje (Ratchagan)
2. Snehithene (Alai Payuthey)
3. Kandu Kondein * 2 (KK)
4. Oh Vennila (Kathal Desam)
5. Vellai Pookal (Kannathil Muthamittal)
6. Vennilave (MinsaraKanavu)
7. En Veetu Thottathil ( Gentleman)
8. Porkalam Ange (Thennali)
9. Nan Padum Santham (Duet)
10. Katre en Vasal (Rhythm)

was a tough task .. but have kept it at 10.....almost all of his songs are enjoyable ..but u just need to be in the groove for that ... these songs i believe will persist at all times...

MADDY
24th August 2006, 04:51 AM
It is pretty tough to choose the best albums from ARR as all his albums have equal quality.......even a dabba film like Mr.Romeo's album was stupendous......so asking for top 10 ARR's albums is as good as asking to identify river water that has gone into sea (ya vairamuthu's line, but can use it here isnt it?? :lol: )

i'll give a shot at top 10 maybe:

1. Girlfriend - Boys - for me this is the fusion of highest order - Rock,Pop, clubhouse (also, i was desperate for a girlfriend then :wink: )
2. Kadhal Rojave -Roja
3. Netru iladha maatram - pudhiya mugam
4. Chikku bukku rail - Gentleman
5. Chandralekha - Thiruda Thiruda
6. Kangalil enna eeramo - Uzhavan & Athangara marame - Kizhakku cheemayile
7. Naan Paadum sandham - duet
8. Urvasi - Kadhalan
9. Minnale - May Madham
10. Kannalane - Bombay
11. Nila Kaigirathu (hariharan) - Indira
12. Pachai Kiligal - Indian
13. Kulu vaalile - Muthu
14. Kannai Katti kolladhe - Iruvar
15. Anbendra mazhayile - Minsara Kanavu
16. Kannodu Kaanbadhellam - Jeans
17. Nenjinile - Uyire
18. Kadhal Kaditham - Jodi
19. Thirakadha kattukulle- En swasa katre
20. Thirupachi arival, Tharisal - Tajmahal
21. Theme music - Padayappa
22. Kurukku siruthavale - Mudhalvan

this is just upto 2000.......post 2000 some other time.... :lol:

(i have maintained chronology here, pls point out any mistakes?)

still i forgot Kadhal Desam, Mr.Romeo and Pavithra..... :oops:

sha
24th August 2006, 10:42 AM
oh guys, i cant make a chart >>> the list ll go sooo long,,,,,

from latest tracks, on top of my playlist was SOK , and WATER

ajithfederer
24th August 2006, 09:49 PM
very difficult rk dude.....ask for 100.....then may be i can :D

ArulprakasH
26th August 2006, 12:57 PM
From Roja to SOK i enjoyed every song of ARR. It is very tough to list.

ALWAR_AJITH
26th August 2006, 01:38 PM
PLS VOTE FOR GF AND SOK SONGS GUYSZ>>>

http://www.oli.sg/top10songs.htm

http://thr.fm/05/@raaga/chart/default.asp

rayan36
6th September 2006, 07:59 PM
Since its remembering ARR i'll leave RDB/GF/SOK :wink:

1. Thanga Thamarai (MINSARA kANAVU)
2. Pudhu Velai Mazhai / Antha Arabi (ROJA / BOMBAY)
3. Othakadha Kadhiko / July Matham (GENTLEMEN/PUDHIYA MUGAM)
4. Khamoshiya / Kapaleri Poyachi (1 2 ka 4/ INDIAN)
5. Kamban Shelly (RANGEELA)
6. En Uyire / Nenjamellam (UYIRE / AE)
7. Anbe Anbe/ Enakey Enakka (JEANS)
8. Radha Kaise Na Jale / Minnale (LAGAAN/ MAY MATHAM)
9. Mel Isai / Anarkali (Mr.ROMEO / KKS)
10. Jumbalaka / Mudhalvane (ESK / MUDHALVAN)

It's very hard to rate really, it's only part of it........ :roll: :roll:

P_R
14th September 2006, 05:27 AM
Surprised to see Kandukondein having a very low mention.

The title song is among ARR's finest pieces of work. The violin choir and , usually an IR speciality, was used with absolute beauty in KK.

ARR had used group-violins very early in his career (for eg. May Maadham - MinnalE and Duet - veNNilaavin thEril Eri). But the effect he managed to create in Kandukondein beat all of them.

rayan36
17th September 2006, 06:15 PM
Have you guys listened to July matham vanthal (s.p.b & Anupama) from Puthiya Mugam. the song got a latin feel with tabla's going in the interval. The strings in that song is really sharp (cd from magnasound combination with THIRUDA 2x) The song is SO fresh it outdo's even the latest duets despite being released 13yrs ago. Eventhough this album has some famous evergreen numbers such as kannaku mei azhagu/ netru Ilatha matram, I like the july matham vanthal the best :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000145.html

rayan36
17th September 2006, 06:16 PM
here's the link

Ramakrishna
17th September 2006, 10:34 PM
Have you guys listened to July matham vanthal (s.p.b & Anupama) from Puthiya Mugam. the song got a latin feel with tabla's going in the interval. The strings in that song is really sharp (cd from magnasound combination with THIRUDA 2x) The song is SO fresh it outdo's even the latest duets despite being released 13yrs ago. Eventhough this album has some famous evergreen numbers such as kannaku mei azhagu/ netru Ilatha matram, I like the july matham vanthal the best :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yaa.. Thats a brilliant song. One of my favourites :D

Scale
18th September 2006, 07:10 PM
PR,

I dont know whether ARR used group violins? May be in VMae- Raaga dance & in concerts. He knows the trick to play like 1000' of violins using his equipments. Thats how Lagaan's Director/JA was amazed to hear "Waltz for Romance" track playing while discussing/recording. It was mentioned in Suresh Mechnit blog.

pls check: kannamoochi has got a bful solo violin interlude. Thanks you pointed out IR's the Master's Violin "Poonghadhave thaazthirava" still lingers my mind. His violin usage is more realistic (songs & BGM) I mean live orchestraed. Wherever there is melody IR's, violin never fails to seize me.

Hulkster
19th September 2006, 01:50 PM
Thiruda Thiruda had western classical music formats like harmony/oratario formats and was quite innovative of ARR. Another album that ARR brought out innovations was Indira which had that melancholic feel mixed with carnatic music/wcm in some songs.

As for waltz for romance track i think there is no surprise here as ARR is king of keyboard, he knows every detail of it to a extent that he can just use it himself to orchestrate all songs without any other musicians.

P_R
20th September 2006, 03:24 AM
PR,
I dont know whether ARR used group violins? May be in VMae- Raaga dance & in concerts. He knows the trick to play like 1000' of violins using his equipments. Thats how Lagaan's Director/JA was amazed to hear "Waltz for Romance" track playing while discussing/recording. It was mentioned in Suresh Mechnit blog.

pls check: kannamoochi has got a bful solo violin interlude. Thanks you pointed out IR's the Master's Violin "Poonghadhave thaazthirava" still lingers my mind. His violin usage is more realistic (songs & BGM) I mean live orchestraed. Wherever there is melody IR's, violin never fails to seize me.

I am feeling a bit illiterate as I didn't catch half the terms, I have highlighted them.

What I meant by group violins is like IR's grand prelude to Rakkamma Kaiya thattu. Though I will not compare Kandukodein to that, I was really impressed by the short pieces in the Kandukondein title song.

Dragun
20th September 2006, 06:20 AM
Kuchi Kuchi Rakamma had some group violin parts.

Scale
20th September 2006, 10:30 PM
PrabhuRam,

1. Pls check Vaneesa Mae's Choreography (http://www.vanessa-mae.com/site_f_music.html) album Raaga Dance in which Vmae performed under ARR's score. Details of the tracks are here (http://www.vanessa-mae.nu/choreography.htm)

2. Javed Akhtar Lyricist-Lagaan

3. Kannamoochi yenada - KK Sung by KJY & Chitra - Violin Ist Interlude (http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000227.html)

Thanks

rayan36
20th September 2006, 11:12 PM
you can listen to Enthan Uyiril from Monalisa.......its very good orchestral musical piece

Ramakrishna
20th September 2006, 11:18 PM
you can listen to Enthan Uyiril from Monalisa.......its very good orchestral musical piece

Whats Monalisa? Is it a tamil movie?

Surya
21st September 2006, 02:52 AM

:rotfl:

I want to see a solid good album from ARR in tamil like Ayutha Ezuthu, or Rang De Basanthi.

His Latest songs Godfather and SOK were good, but not nearly as good as he can be! :(

A.ANAND
21st September 2006, 03:05 AM

:rotfl:

I want to see a solid good album from ARR in tamil like Ayutha Ezuthu, or Rang De Basanthi.

His Latest songs Godfather and SOK were good, but not nearly as good as he can be! :(ayutha ezuthu,rang de basanti kuda disapointing innu arr fans kuda sonnanga,ippa rdb,ae is the best album'innu sollarinnga :poke:

Surya
21st September 2006, 05:02 AM
I don't know abt other ARR fans, but as for me, I really LOVED AE and RDB. :huh:

Ippo dissappointmentnu sonna, I'd say it's Godfather and Sillunu Oru Kaadhal. (They're both good albums, butn ot as good as AE and RDB IMHO! :D)

MADDY
21st September 2006, 05:30 AM
I don't know abt other ARR fans, but as for me, I really LOVED AE and RDB. :huh:

Ippo dissappointmentnu sonna, I'd say it's Godfather and Sillunu Oru Kaadhal. (They're both good albums, butn ot as good as AE and RDB IMHO! :D)

surya, ARR's quality of music depends on
a-director
b-demand of script.......

u've got to say Krishna is a pretty ordinary director while a movie like Godfather (triple action masala movies) deserve songs like what it got......compare this with RDB which has a world-class director and a earth-shattering script.....

rayan36
21st September 2006, 02:12 PM
Monalisa is dubbed movie from Kabhi Na Kabhi

nilavupriyan
24th September 2006, 02:33 PM
while watching vettaiyadu vilaiyadu....in the airport scene where kamal comes to catch two members ...there is a music bit which is very similar to thiruda thiruda bgm!...

Nakeeran
24th September 2006, 03:02 PM
My favourite ARR albums :

1. Gentleman
2. Roja
3. Minsarakanavu
4. Kadhalar dhinam
5. Rangeela of course :D

nilavupriyan
24th September 2006, 08:38 PM
uyire

alaipayuthey

thiruda thiruda

lagaan

taal

ajaybaskar
27th September 2006, 10:02 AM
my favourites are
1. Alaipayuthey
2. Lagaan
3. Taal
4. Thiruda Thiruda
5. Swades
6. Boys
7. Rang de basanti
8. WOHE
9. Kangalal kaidhu sei
10. Rangeela

vasanth2006
10th October 2006, 03:36 PM
my fav ARR songs

1) urvasi urvasi from kadhalan
2) kadhalikkum from kadhalan
3) kannalane from bombay
4) hello doctor, enai kanavillaiye from kadhal desam
5) entrendtrum from alaipayuthe
6) Eachi/ kizheke nandhavanam/ adi manja kizhenke/kuliruthu from tajmakal. superb songs. better songs then mudhalvan. but mudhalvan got fame.
7)vennilavin from duet
8) minnale/ margazhi poove from may madham
9) vennilave from minsara kanavu
10) all rangeela songs
11)kismat/ suntha kai from pukar ( kismat is brilliant eventhough it is inspired from some MSV song.)
12)salam bombay from Bombay dreams.
13) pathshala/kalbali from RDB
14) sarigama from boys
15) anarkali from KKS
16) araai kodi from a..ah

rayan36
14th October 2006, 12:44 PM
my fav ARR songs

1) urvasi urvasi from kadhalan
2) kadhalikkum from kadhalan
3) kannalane from bombay
4) hello doctor, enai kanavillaiye from kadhal desam
5) entrendtrum from alaipayuthe
6) Eachi/ kizheke nandhavanam/ adi manja kizhenke/kuliruthu from tajmakal. superb songs. better songs then mudhalvan. but mudhalvan got fame.
7)vennilavin from duet
8) minnale/ margazhi poove from may madham
9) vennilave from minsara kanavu
10) all rangeela songs
11)kismat/ suntha kai from pukar ( kismat is brilliant eventhough it is inspired from "kallelam manika".)
12)salam bombay from Bombay dreams.
13) pathshala/kalbali from RDB
14) sarigama from boys
15) anarkali from KKS
16) araai kodi from a..ah

Eechi ezhumichi has very nice keyboard interludes (dunno what u call it) it brings down your soul

minnale (mm) a good one.......never thought of that

vasanth2006
7th November 2006, 01:23 PM
"Thauba thauba", "only you" from vande matharam are great numbers.

"Thauba thauba" is such an energetic song. very good arrangements and beats. ARR's voice in this song is explosive and very very energetic. my hot fav of ARR. i will hear this song in my system with high bass. I always like these type of fast paced and energetic numbers from ARR.

"only you" is superb melody. mind blowing.

Ramakrishna
11th November 2006, 09:43 PM
I just heard the Ottakkaari number from Indira. I feel it is a great number. But underrated number. What do u guys feel?

Wibha
11th November 2006, 10:04 PM
"Thauba thauba", "only you" from vande matharam are great numbers.

"Thauba thauba" is such an energetic song. very good arrangements and beats. ARR's voice in this song is explosive and very very energetic. my hot fav of ARR. i will hear this song in my system with high bass. I always like these type of fast paced and energetic numbers from ARR.

"only you" is superb melody. mind blowing.

:thumbsup: :yes:

rayan36
11th November 2006, 10:20 PM
I just heard the Ottakkaari number from Indira. I feel it is a great number. But underrated number. What do u guys feel?

the lyric's play big part in the song, not because it's a meaningful :wink: but funny, fun, with very minimal folk instrument/music.

did u notice that ARR songs have the 'lifting' of lyrics like in that that song 'Yen kuruvi eppadi irukku ......thavi chellum kuruvi thavani podhuruku' there's piano bit on that sentence and at the ending 'Padhu pavadai nenjai.....' there's the acoustic drum supporting that sentence.

rayan36
4th December 2006, 08:50 PM
Just listened to Kangalil enna Iramo (Uzhavan), excellent tune supported with beautiful voices of SPB n Chitra. The way they sing it just soothes the soul. The interludes ; keyboard, flute, tabla works like magic :musicsmile: :musicsmile: :musicsmile:

Nerd
4th December 2006, 10:35 PM

I dont think its underrated. It was a huge hit at that time 8-)

The best example of an underrated ARR song is:
uyirum neeyE -- pavithra

IMO, this song is THE best amma song by ARR (better than kaalayil dhinamum and theeyil vizhundha)

rayan36
5th December 2006, 09:45 AM

I dont think its underrated. It was a huge hit at that time 8-)

The best example of an underrated ARR song is:
uyirum neeyE -- pavithra

IMO, this song is THE best amma song by ARR (better than kaalayil dhinamum and theeyil vizhundha)

I never taught uyirum neeye was an underrated song, they play it in radio stations every now and then, more often than Ottakkari

k_vanan
5th December 2006, 10:42 AM
yesterday listen one of MUTHU songs Thillana Thillana. nobody can create this type song again. i hope ARR do something like this song in SIVAJI.

ajaybaskar
5th December 2006, 11:49 AM
Sivaji shud be far better...

Nerd
5th December 2006, 10:08 PM
I never taught uyirum neeye was an underrated song, they play it in radio stations every now and then, more often than Ottakkari

Are you sure :o

Where do you live ?? I dont think that u live (lived) in India. I have seldom listened to uyirum neeyE in FM radio in India (Rainbow/Mirchi/Sun). OTOH, they dont play much of Odakkaara maarimuthu either. But when indirA came out, that song was a HUGE hit among everyone and all the TV/Radio stations kept playing that.

When pavitra came out they just played the sevvaanam song in the TV channels/FM radio channels :)

ajaybaskar
6th December 2006, 11:01 AM
S nerd, it is an underrated song in india. But the fact is that Unni got a national award for that particular song when everyone expected him to bag one for Ennavalae....

leosimha
6th December 2006, 01:13 PM
Sivaji will have very good songs..no doubt about it...

rayan36
6th December 2006, 02:18 PM

Are you sure :o

Where do you live ?? I dont think that u live (lived) in India. I have seldom listened to uyirum neeyE in FM radio in India (Rainbow/Mirchi/Sun). OTOH, they dont play much of Odakkaara maarimuthu either. But when indirA came out, that song was a HUGE hit among everyone and all the TV/Radio stations kept playing that.

When pavitra came out they just played the sevvaanam song in the TV channels/FM radio channels :)

Well i don't live (lived) in India.....across the ocean; MY :wink: anyone here (MY) can verify that :?:

Ramakrishna
18th December 2006, 10:59 PM
I was listening to Aayutha Ezhuthu album after a very long time and i listened to this great song Nenjamellaam. I didn't notice this song much during its release(May be becoz it was not featured in the movie). OH what a song!!!! Why didn't Mani picturize this song? I guess this song also joins the list of ARR's unnoticed beautiful songs.

Wibha
18th December 2006, 11:01 PM
but i remember seeing the song.it's surya's and isha deol's :roll:

Ramakrishna
18th December 2006, 11:03 PM
but i remember seeing the song.it's surya's and isha deol's :roll:

:confused2:

Ramakrishna
18th December 2006, 11:04 PM
En Uyir thozhiye :musicsmile:
I think ARR should reuse this song or all the songs of KKS in Hindi

Wibha