PDA

View Full Version : Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan (Part 2)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

sivank
24th March 2007, 12:08 AM
I would like to share a thought which came in my mind as I saw the film Iruvar last night. How would it be if someone wants to do a film about our NT. Whom do you think would be the perfect choice for his role and do you think it is advisable.

Perhaps veterans like Saradha Madam Murali Sir and others could drop more information to make this thread more lively.

thamiz
24th March 2007, 04:16 AM
BTW, one of my favorite movies of NT is, kungumam ! :)

NOV
24th March 2007, 08:29 AM
Still it is better to ignore and proceed with NT.:exactly:

pls proceed as before. trolls will be taken care of.

Jilaba
24th March 2007, 03:57 PM
Dear Murali sir, Saradha madam, Thanizh, Groucho, joe and others...

This kind of postings are purposely made to grow emotions of Shivaji fans. If they did not answer for this, then they can say "Shivaji fans are not able to answer for our charges"..

On the other hand, if they answer for them, suddenly some 'neutral'(?!?!?!?!?!?!) people will peep in to the matter and advice shivaji fans "why you get emotional when anybody talk about Shivaji's minus points?".

These cunning people will first compare Shivaji with other actors, and if Shivaji fans answer for that, then same neutral(????) people will advice Shivaji fans, "please dont drag other actors here" (without knowing who started it first. If you go through the posts we can see Unhappyboy only drag Rajini and Kamal here).

appadeennaa Shivajiyai yaar vendumaanaalum kurai sollalaam. (adhu kooda accept pannakkoodiya kuraigalai alla, vendumendre Shivajiyai asinga padutha vendum endra ennaththil sollap paduvathu). adhukku shivaji fans reply panninaal, udane 'Shivaji fans are not able to tollerate any criticism" endru oru sappai kattu.

This cheap activities are going on for a long period, since this thread's first part was started, as saradha said with some gaps.

joe
24th March 2007, 09:41 PM
Jilaba,
Exactly my thoughts..well said. :)

Murali Srinivas
24th March 2007, 09:47 PM
One question that is often raised here is why NT didn't act in these director's movies or why he didn't choose new directors etc. I thought of replying to these questions later during the course of NT's political innings. Since that would take time, let me answer these "allegations".

The names that are mentioned are KB, BR, BM, Mahendran & MR.
Let us take one by one.

KB: As everyone knows NT-KB combo came together for Ethiroli, but it didn't take off. This was during June 1970. I had explained earlier that period starting from 1967 was a transition period where the face of NT films changed from story oriented to entertainment oriented. More over the intense rivalry between NT and MGR at the film and political level that existed at that point of time was invariably getting reflected in movies of that period. So Ethiroli (a subtle yet superb performance from NT) went down.

Again it is a well known secret that KB is a egoistic person(no offence meant, but to say that his stature mattered to him most than anything else) who had not even worked with his shishyas like Kamal and Rajini after certain period. The last he did with Rajini was Thillu Mullu which was in 1981. Therafter he said he cannot make films with Rajini anymore but used him in his Kavithalaya movies directed by others.

Samething happened with Kamal and Unnal Mudiyum Thambi (1988)was the last one. If you check out he did only Punnagai Mannan and UMT after Ek duje in 1981.

So with this back ground of KB you don't expect a Giant of NT's stature to go all out to woo him. But KB realised it later. When Duet was in the making, NT visited the sets and had a long chat with KB. Later on in a interview, KB confessed that it was his mistake to have made Ethiroli like that at that part of a time and given a chance, he would have corrected.

BR: Of course NT- BR combo made history with MM. That was in 1985. But even before that BR expressed his desire to do a film with NT. That was in 1978, when NT presided over the Silver Jublie celebrations of Kizakke Pogum Rayil, the second movie of BR. He said in the stage itself that he is a big fan of NT and would love to direct him. But that could materialise only 7 years later.

Here one thing needs to be stressed. Whoever be the Hero and whoever be the director, a good script needs to be there. That's why when MM became a Super Duper hit, the same combo's Pasumponn failed. The second one was a artificial script where NT was forcefully brought in.

Balu Mahendra: The person who made his debut with Kokila (Kannada) in 1976 came to Tamil as a cinematographer thro' Mullum Malarum in 1978 and went on to do Ayiyatha Kolangal in 1979, Moodu Pani in 1980. [On the sidelines he was the cinematographer for the famous Sankarabharanam]. Then he did Moondram Pirai in 1982. Meanwhile he also did Olangal in Malayalam (Amol Palekar & Poornima ) and one more movie (don't remember the name) in Malayalam which had Y.G.Mahendra as hero. Again he did MP as Sadma in Hindi in 1983. At this point of time NT decided to do a movie with him and NT's brother VC Shanmugam contacted BM and he agreed to do a film for Sivaji Productions with NT. This was in 1984. BM met NT and they discussed some story threads. It was a preliminary discussion and BM was doing Neengal Kettavai at that time. So it was decided to start the film after NK.

At this point of time, Sivaji Productions own venture Neethiyin Nizhal was on the floors with Ilaya Thilagam Prabhu and Radha. The movie launched in 1983 was directed by Bharathi-Vasu. But as Prabhu's career had a slump in 1984, NN got stuck. The distributors were a bit hesitant and after much delibrations Sivaji Productions agreed to bring in NT into the film as a Spl appearance. So NT and SriVidya were drafted in as parents of Prabhu. Because of this sudden development, the dates of NT that were kept for BM's movie were utilised for NN and it was agreed with BM that his movie would start after sometime. In the meantime BM started doing Un Kannil Neer Vazhindhal with Rajini. During that shooting, for reasons best known to the establishment of TN at that point of time, BM was arrested on the charges of passport forgery case and he was physically assaulted by police it was alleged. BM was so cut off with the treatment meted out to him,he made the police high handedness as a background for his next film in 1985 which he made in Malayalam as Yatra ( A Superb film where Mammootty gave out a standout performance.The same was remade by BM after 20 years as Athu oru Kana Kalam with Dhanush). So the NT-BM project got delayed and BM went on to do Veedu, Sandhya Raagam and Rettaival Kuthirai and NT was busy with his own projects. So the project never took off.

Mahendran: He was the one who wrote Thanga Pathakkam and later when he became a director he did good movies like Mullum Malarum[1978] and Uthiri Pookal [1979]. But the continuous failures of his films like Pootatha Pootukkal, Johny (1980), Nandu and Metti in the early 80's forced him into hibernation, though he wrote story dialogue for Rishimoolam in 1980. So the NT- Mahendran combo was never even concieved.

MR: The second son of Venus Gopalarathinam (better known as Venus Rathinam Iyer) whose original name was Subramanian and who did a MBA, choose films as a career and his debut was again in Kannada (" Pallavi Anupallavi") and rechristened himself as Mani Rathinam. Then he did "Unaru" in Malayalam in 1984. Venus Films had two partners Govindarajan and Rathinam (earlier Sridhar also had a stake) and Govindarajan's sons are G.Thiagarajan & G.Saravanan who launched Sathya Jothi Movies. So they gave the first break to MR thro' Pagal Nilavu in 1985 and Kovai Thambi's Idhya Kovil followed in the same year. Mouna Ragam in 1986 gave the big break and Nayagan in 1987 made it big for him.

NT having known the Venus family from the early 50's [ Amara Dheepam and Uthama Puthiran were produced by Venus] saw Nayagan and he expressed his desire to do a film with MR. Nayagan was released for 1987 Deepavali (October) and MR was already shooting for Agni Natchathiram. So after that, it was decided. But came Dec 24, 1987,TN's political situation turned topsy turvy and NT took the political plunge and his filmy commitments were reduced. After all the political storm, when he again showed interest in acting, GV films booked him. It was announced that MR would direct Thalapathy and Suhasini would direct NT movie which also had Mammootty. MR was telling Suhasini to leave the project to him.

At that point of time NT went to attend Singapore show where he was to be felicitated. But alas, he swooned on the dias and he was rushed to hospital where he was diagonised with enlarged Heart problems. The Doctors advised fixing of pacemaker in his heart and that was done. The after effects of that prevented NT from active cinema for some time and MR in the meantime had gone to Bollywood range with the release of Roja. So again the spirit was there for NT but body was not willing.

These are the facts and hope NT's stand is clear now.

As for as he not selecting good movies or stories, let me come back to it after some time.

Regards

sivank
24th March 2007, 11:04 PM
[tscii:f15be72874]A very good one Murali. Hats off to you. I simply donīt know how you get these infos. great.

What about NTs venture with K.Bhagyaraj. I havenīt seen the film till now.[/tscii:f15be72874]

nerdy
25th March 2007, 01:35 PM
Mr.Murali Srinvas

Your post on why NT didn't act BM,MR and Mahendram is very good. It cleared everyone's doubts.

Many thanks for such a wonderful post.

thamiz
25th March 2007, 06:28 PM
Mr. Srinivas!

It is very informative. You seem to know lot about some film personalities.

Very impressive! :)

Jilaba
25th March 2007, 06:55 PM
Murali sir...

Once I heard a news (I dont know it is true or false), Balu Mahendra was asked to direct the NT's movie "Vellai Roja" and he refused that, storyline was not suitable for NT. So A.Jagannathan was appointed as director for that. After the movie got a big hit, BM felt for loosing a successful movie with NT.

Is the news correct..? please confirm, because you are the only correct person to clarify this here.

thamiz
25th March 2007, 07:55 PM
Honestly when thangamagan, thoongaathe thambi thoongaathe and veLLai rOja were released, it was veLLai roja which came out to be the winner both commercially and as per critics' as well :)

smith
26th March 2007, 11:07 AM
Murali,

Very informative, but it must be remembered that NT did about 80 odd films after tirisoolam. Most of it were duds. he could have adjusted dates & worked with MR,BM & M if he had really wanted to. After all, dates & finance were not a problem. His health probs & political stints came much later.

Maybe 1 reason is that he did about 15 odd films with prabhu when prabhu's career were in the nasal stages, ostendibly to promote it. But the fact is that most of them flopped & probhu came into his own only after doing films with other actors & directors.

Nothing wrong in promoting his son, but he could have done the odd good film.

He had said that he wanted to do the role of periyar. He could have easily produced it himself. But the fact is that he did not want to risk it.

His downfall as an actor started with tirisoolam & that's the pity.

Murali Srinivas
26th March 2007, 08:39 PM
Dear Sivan,nerdy,Tamizh, Jilaba & Smith,

Thank you all.

Sivan,

All these info are from my memory in the sense, I have read about it, heard about it and that's there in my mind. (Don't think that it is a self boasting, but whatever or whoever I love, all info about them stay in my mind).

Jilaba,

As for as I know, the news (of BM asked to direct VR) is not correct for the simple reason, BM is not the type of person who will do a remake and VR was remade from "Post Mortem" a Malayalam movie which had Prem Nazir doing what NT did in Tamil. Mammootty an upcoming artist at that point of time did the role of Suresh.

Smith,

As I had mentioned at the end of my post, I had intended to deal with the points you have raised in yours in my next post. But most of the questions have their answers in my previous post itself. Anyhow let me clear it. But give me some time. Being at the month end and year end, the factor called time is very precious for me and I will come out with the answers.

Regards

unhappyboy
26th March 2007, 11:34 PM
Honestly when thangamagan, thoongaathe thambi thoongaathe and veLLai rOja were released, it was veLLai roja which came out to be the winner both commercially and as per critics' as well :)

That's carrying it too far. Thangamahan was super hit, velai roja was a moderate success. Anyway, most of NT's movies from 80s did poorly, and NT usually played the role of a grouchy old man, it was such a fall for a great actor. Directors, far from respecting him, used him to fill these roles. :evil:

thamiz
26th March 2007, 11:40 PM
Thankgamagan ran in madurai meenaakshi paradize for 200 days but it can accomodate 100 people only! :D

thamiz
27th March 2007, 03:24 AM
One of my favorite scenes in the NT's pattikkaadaa pattaNmaa is:

After they got separated and kalpana's mom sent the new-born to orphanage, who is adopted by mookkaiyan. Now the whole scenario changes as kalpaNA wants her son as she loves him so much. After all she is a mother!

Anyway, now mookkaiyan, former son-in-law comes to give an invitation for a marriage (it will sound like his own second marriage)!

shivAji (to VKR): maamaa! ULLE varlaamaa maamaa?

VKR: mookkaiyaa! ithu un veeduppA!

shivaji: kalyaaNam vachchirukkeen maamaa! thaaymaanaachchee, paththirikkai vaikkalainaa nallaayirukkaathnuthaan vantheen! namma kudumba nilaimai intha nilaikku vanthathukku naan kaaraNam illainu ungakkE theriyum maamaa! He will give the invitation in which the groom name is mookkaiyan and the bride name is raakkammA! It will sound like his own second marriage with his cousin! Even the audience DO NOT have a CLUE to know the TRUTH here!

See here it is like,

kenjinaal minjuvaar minjinaal kenjuvaar! Now shivaji seems to have an "Upper hand" once they crossed a limit. You could see the guilty feeling of JJ and she certainly did an excellent job.

I love this scene! Great job by Madhavan!! :clap: Was he an assistant director of Sridhar :?:

joe
27th March 2007, 09:42 AM
NT fans,
Can we all come out with the most Stylish NT song?

My pick is : "Yaaradi Nee Mogini " from Uththama puththiran :)

End of the song ,NT was clapping contineously for sometime ..what a style :thumbsup:

NOV
27th March 2007, 09:56 AM
That man is the king of Styles!
Lets just cover the songs...

in holding champagne: kudi maganE perum kudi maganE

in walking: andha naal gnyabagam / pOnaal pOgattum pOda

in smoking: iravinil aattam / yaar andha nilavu

in song & dance: naan kavignanum illai / paarththa gnyaabagam illaiyO

innum eththanayO....

sankara1970
27th March 2007, 02:59 PM
His stylish romantic walk in Poomalayil oru malligai in Ooty Varai Uravu.

Jilaba
27th March 2007, 03:00 PM
NT fans,
Can we all come out with the most Stylish NT song?

My pick is : "Yaaradi Nee Mogini " from Uththama puththiran :)

End of the song ,NT was clapping contineously for sometime ..what a style :thumbsup:

Sorry Mr. Joe, I dont like "Yaaradee nee mohinee".

It will become boring when it turned to the tune "onnum onnum rendu... aa haa haa haa... rendum moonum anju... aa haa haa haa.....". what kind of copossing is this..?.

Shivaji's stylish songs, I like...

"kaathal malar koottam ondru' (dheiva magan) for walk
'sorkkam pakkaththil' (enga mama) for dance movements.

Murali Srinivas
27th March 2007, 09:03 PM
Dear Tamizh,

Are you from Madurai?

Joe,

I am not falling prey to your question. I will not select one but come out with something else.

Regards

PS: Joe, I was just joking.

thamiz
27th March 2007, 09:09 PM
I was really disappointed, when I read an article by a critic saying that shivaji never had any style. I was wondering how stupid some critics can be!

The middle-aged Barristor Rajnikanth was stylish in every way, in Gauravam!

His agnostic views and the way he reacts when was geting hurt by his own son and his ego and his criticisms on other not-so-good lawyers who went up by dook or crook! WOW!!!

He deserves more than OSCAR for his "Ranjikanth" performance! :clap:

thamiz
27th March 2007, 09:12 PM
Dear Tamizh,

Are you from Madurai?

Not exactly but I am quite aware of madurai affairs! :D

joe
29th March 2007, 08:44 AM
A poem on NT
http://www.nilacharal.com/stage/kavithai/kav62.html

joe
29th March 2007, 08:47 AM
NT's AutoBiography
http://booksread.wordpress.com/2006/06/06/%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%A9%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%81-%E0%AE%9A%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AF%E0%AE%9A%E0%AE%B0%E0%A E%BF%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%88-%E0%AE%A8%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%B0%E0%A F%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%95/

joe
29th March 2007, 08:51 AM
NT speaks about his experience in politics
http://madippakkam.blogspot.com/2006_04_23_archive.html

smith
29th March 2007, 10:25 AM
-deleted-
pls stick to Sivaji

tvsankar
29th March 2007, 10:28 AM
Sivaji's style in songs

1.Nalladhoru kudumbam from Thanga Padhakkam.

What a great steps and style.Character in oru Gambeerathudan.I like this song always for Sivaji.

2.Karnan - Maharajan ulagai aalalam.

Mudhalil sonna padalin Sivaji - Indha padalin Sivaji - Entirely opposite.Character in nerthiyai padalilum continue seiyum Oru Sincere ana Nadigan.

3.Unnai onru ketpen - Padal Saroja Devi kaga irundhalum -

Padal arambikum podhu - Saroja Devi ai paarkum Sivaji in paarvai - oru acharyam - edho solla ninaikum manadhu - enbadhu pol oru LOOK.Really very nice.

Indha padalil different instruments play pannum Sivaji - oru true player pola oru bhavam.Really very nice.

4.Sivandha mann - Nice to see Sivaji.

unhappyboy
29th March 2007, 11:52 AM

NT had no charisma at all to become a leader. He was too naive, too innocent, lacked leadership qualities, and moreover, no one knew what his ideology was. Claiming to be EVRist, he also became a congressman which has a totally diff. ideology, then started his own party...he was a bundle of contradictions. Sadly, whilst most politicians were smart enough to get out of such situations, NT lacked the political acumen to do so. Which is why, his political career became a joke.

joe
29th March 2007, 12:00 PM

NT had no charisma at all to become a leader. He was too naive, too innocent, lacked leadership qualities, and moreover, no one knew what his ideology was. Claiming to be EVRist, he also became a congressman which has a totally diff. ideology, then started his own party...he was a bundle of contradictions. Sadly, whilst most politicians were smart enough to get out of such situations, NT lacked the political acumen to do so. Which is why, his political career became a joke.

True! NT was a bad actor offscreen.

thamiz
29th March 2007, 10:33 PM
This is a FILM SECTION, I would like to look Shivaji as an actor. If anybody is interested in talking about Shivaji's political career, they can find a politics thread and go and discuss! Thnak you!

If peoples only intention is provoking the hubbers with sone unnecessary issues duing the nice flow of the discussion, such intention adn sadistic attitude will not be appreciated for a very long.

BTW, We are all pretty happy here and we like to be happy discussing about shivi as an actor! And we dont want any unhappiness here! :)

thamiz
29th March 2007, 10:34 PM
Let us get back to the legend, actor NT, folks! :D

Nakeeran
29th March 2007, 10:36 PM
This is a FILM SECTION, I would like to look Shivaji as an actor. If anybody is interested in talking about Shivaji's political career, they can find a politics thread and go and discuss! Thnak you!

If peoples only intention is provoking the hubbers with sone unnecessary issues duing the nice flow of the discussion, such intention adn sadistic attitude will not be appreciated for a very long.

BTW, We are all pretty happy here and we like to be happy discussing about shivi as an actor! And we dont want any unhappiness here! :)

Seems like U are dictating terms here :shock:

Mr. Murali Srinivas is covering a series on NT's political innings. U dont want that to continue ?? :roll:

thamiz
29th March 2007, 10:39 PM
Seems like U are dictating terms here :shock:

Mr. Murali Srinivas is covering a series on NT's political innings. U dont want that to continue ?? :roll:

So? :roll:

I should not sshare my opinion which is contradicting to anybody's view or what? :evil:

Why do you speak for murlai srinivas? :roll:

Are you his representative? :evil: If not just leave!

Nakeeran
29th March 2007, 10:48 PM
Here is the video link for the ever famous UTHAMA PUTHIRAN , NT playing double role :

http://techsatish-techsatish.blogspot.com/2007/02/uthama-puthiran-tamil-movie-download.html

Absolutely handsome !

thamiz
29th March 2007, 10:49 PM
Anybody remember the role NT acted as a "ShrinK" in navaraththiri?

That was amazing! :clap:

unhappyboy
2nd April 2007, 03:55 PM
Anybody remember the role NT acted as a "ShrinK" in navaraththiri?

That was amazing! :clap:

So good one didn't know who was the patient and who was the doc.

groucho070
2nd April 2007, 04:10 PM
I don't know how you meant by that...but I take it that in that NT's character has to play along with Savithiri.

The damndest thing about that scene is that both characters were sane, and one pretends to be insane, the other 'pretends' too.

This NT character reminds me of a dear uncle of mien who passed away sometimes ago.

thamiz
3rd April 2007, 10:05 PM
So, what you guys think, the best creation of Shivaj-APN combo?

And Is pAsamalar considered as the best of Shivaj-Bhimsingh movies?

joe
3rd April 2007, 10:18 PM
So, what you guys think, the best creation of Shivaj-APN combo?

And Is pAsamalar considered as the best of Shivaj-Bhimsingh movies?

Best NT-APN combo - ThiruviLaiyaadal

Best NT -BhimSing Combo - Couldn't select one from Paasamalar ,Padikkatha Methai

thamiz
3rd April 2007, 10:40 PM
joe: Even paava maNNippu is a great movie with a serious message! :)

joe
3rd April 2007, 10:43 PM
joe: Even paava maNNippu is a great movie with a serious message! :)

Naanum ninachen ..appuram Paavamannipu,Paalum Pzhamum ,Paaga Pirivinai,Pachai viLakku ,Paarthal Pasi Theeerum ,Padiththal mattum poothumaa ,PaarmagaLe paar-nnu eththanai padaththai list pannurathu ? :roll: :roll: ..too many good movies :? :? :D

thamiz
3rd April 2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, true it is hard to pick one! :)

lotus_303
4th April 2007, 04:41 AM
for my best film of sivaji

Bagahapirivinai
Kapalottyathamelan
PalumPalamum

=====================
Please visit the web for old artist like
sivaji padmini
MGR sarojadevi

http://www.goldentamilcinema.com

lotus_303
4th April 2007, 04:43 AM
for my best film of sivaji

Bagahapirivinai
Kapalottyathamelan
PalumPalamum

=====================
Please visit the web for old artist like
sivaji padmini
MGR sarojadevi

http://www.goldentamilcinema.com

sankara1970
4th April 2007, 11:20 AM
Happened to see a song in Jaya TV

Padaithane from Nitchayathamboolam(all songs are good in this movie)

I think the song Enge Nimmathi in Puthiya Paravai was inspired by this song

NOV
4th April 2007, 12:12 PM
I guess you mean padaiththaanE padaiththaanE manidhanai aandavan padaiththaanE.

its not even the same metre? :roll:

smartsambu
4th April 2007, 04:31 PM
I also saw that song yesterday in Jaya Tv. Padaithaane is an amazing song.

smartsambu
4th April 2007, 04:38 PM
For me Kaapalootiya Thamizhan, Karnan and Gowravam are his best movies

smartsambu
4th April 2007, 04:40 PM
I am not able to find Kappalootiya Thamizhan songs in any website. Where can I find them?

smith
4th April 2007, 04:47 PM
Try cool toad.

smartsambu
4th April 2007, 05:26 PM
If his last 100 movies are listed I think we can easily pick the best 3 or 5 movies

Murali Srinivas
5th April 2007, 09:05 PM
In my earlier post, I had attempted to answer the charge that NT failed to do films with some top guns of Tamil Cinema. The second allegation was he didn't choose stories or good directors and he wasted his career. Generally putting it,

a. His last 20 years were wasted

b. He didn't do good films after Tirusoolam.

The first "allegation" that last 20 years were wasted is itself far fetched, more probably due to the fact that people are not aware of chronological order of his films nor about the years it was released. He passed away in 2001. His last film was released in 1999 (Poo Parikka Varugirom). He started his own political party in 1988 February. So if we look at the releases,

1988:

1. En Thamizh En Makkal

2. Puthiya Vanam

1989: NIL

1990: NIL

1991:

1.Gnana Paravai

1992:

1. Naam

2. Chinna Marumagal

3. Mudhal Kural

4. Thevar Magan

1993: NIL

1994: NIL

1995:

1. Pasum Ponn

1996: NIL

1997:

1.Once More

2.Oru Yatra Mozhi

1998:

1.En Aasai Rajave

1999:

1.Mannavaru Chinnavaru

2.Padayappa

3.Poo Parikka Varugirom

So in total just 14 movies in the last 14 years (1988 -2001). To say that he wasted 20 years is too much. His active part after Tirusoolam (1979) is 9 years. Coming to the second part

Did he not attempt to do good movies? The answer is definitely YES
but what was the people's reaction to such attempts? If we explore, unfortunately it would be non supportive. Let me explain.

His very next film after Tirusoolam (ie) 201 st movie was Kavari Mann. NT had done a brilliant underplay of the IAS officer who in a moment of madness accidentally kills his wife by virtue of which, he loses his daughter's love and affection till the end. Except for the scene where he sees his wife in bed with another man and acts madly, his was a stuff from the top drawer. Recently when I had an opportunity to chat with Sp.Muthuraman (who was the director of the movie), I broached this subject to him as this film happens to be one of my favourite NT movies. SpM told me that NT saw the movie before release and told SpM " Nee Oviyamaa eduthirukke, anal makkal rasikka maatargal". How prophetic his words were! The people who flocked Tirusoolam(which most of the hubbers find it as rubbish) for more than 200 days, did not even entertain this movie for 50 days.

After this NT did a series of Entertainment stuff which he had commited earlier and after Tirusoolam. He did Rishimoolam which was different though it cannot be rated as class. In 1981 he came out with Sathiya Sundaram, again an under play laced with humour till the climax. Though this ran for 100 days,if you compare the collection charts of Viswaroopam(released in 1980,again a remake of Hindi Adalaat and the much maligned NT-Sri Devi pair along with NT -Sujatha and which also ran for 100 days), you would find VR beating SS hands down.

Come 1982 and he came out with a superb performance in Vaa Kanna Vaa, a Sivaji Production movie. Though this was remade from Raa Kanna Raa, a Telugu movie which had Somayajalu with KRV, NT had made the Grand father role (where he played his age) memorable with his stand out performance, the public response was again poor except in chennai (where it had 100 days run). NT's brother VCShanmugam had told the director Yoganand that he will not be worried about it's commercial success but Sivaji Productions will cherish this movie for ever. When this did not do well they went and did a Hindi remake as Sandhippu(where again NT in a dual role had Sri Devi as heroine) and this movie broke the Box office records of Tirusoolam in many centres. Who is to be blamed for such happenings?

Again in 1982, NT did Vasandhathil Or(r) Naal. Though this was again a remake of Hindi Mausam (Sharmila Tagore & Sanjeev Kumar), NT allowed full screen space to Sri Priya who did a dual role. As a father who sees his daughter doing the oldest profession, he was superb without going overboard. But how many of the people had seen this movie and appreciated? Produced by Hindu Rangarajan (who produced Gauravam, Naam Pirandha Mann) this movie could not sustain itself.

Again in 1982, NT did Thunai with director Durai. He suited the role of a widower like a T,whose only love was his son and who gets torn between his Daughter-In _Law(good one by Radha) who makes life miserable for him and his son who starts believing his wife. Again people failed this movie.

After this once again in 1982, he did Oorum Uravum where he played a village innocent who sacrifices everything for his younger brother but who ditches him. NT as a innocent villager in the first half and as a Rickshaw wallah operating in Chennai city in the second half had done a restrained act. Audience again did not tun up.

In 1983, his Father role in Vellai Roja was again a good one.

In 1984, he did Dhavani Kanuvugal with Bhagyaraj. Again we saw a different NT. In the same year he had attempted Simma Soppanam wherein he played as a lawyer. But for SS Karuppasamy the producer who unnecessarily interfered with director Vijaya Krishna Raj's work and shared the director's name card, the movie would have been a different and good one.

1985 saw Mudhal Mariyadhai. That year also saw Padikkatha Pannaiyar (though not a classic, NT without any heroine or heroic deeds gave out a good performance).

1986 saw Sadhanai. Though NT as a director would have played to the Gallery, he still showed us how he would expect others to perform if he directs a movie. (Ananda Vikatan in it's review of the movie had quoted the same). The next film was Marumagal where he did a Grand Father role again. The beauty of the film is NT would be bed ridden for more than 75% of the movie. Imagine a hero of NT's stature doing such a role and make people enjoy. But all these movies again would not find place in the detractors' list.

The next movie was Anandha Kanneer ( Sivaji Productions) and and the role of Family head donating Kidney to meet the expenses of his daughter's marriage when his sons had disowned him, was it a crap role or dud? But again audience did not give the required support. In the same year (1986) did not he again play a hen pecked husband to perfection (under play laced with humour) in Lakshmi Vandhachu? Again the next movie Mannukul Vairam had him play the role of village chieftain who had to witnees his grand daughter becoming widow and I am sure it was not over board.

In 1987, I would single out Krishnan Vandhan and to a lesser extent Anbulla Appa.

I am not saying that what all he did was great. But when his honest attempts to do maningful movies did not get the required support from the public, he turned to masalas which were raking in moolah. After all making films is a business involving crores and everybody would like to have profits and not the other way round.
So when your good movie fails to ring in the cash counter and contrarily when your masala movies do roaring business, any acor would choose films which would be a safe bet for producers. NT also did the same.

The problem is/was the persons who criticise NT of such omisions are a miniscule minority, who are/were 99% from Chennai and who always had NT's movies of 50s and 60s as yardstick for comparing the later day movies. The unfortunate thing is they never had an idea about the taste of the people spread across rest of Tamilnadu. This is no fault of them because the Chennai Metro Life offers a totally different perspective to the residents when compared to the rest of peole living elsewhere.

I know in spite of my telling this, people would still argue that their stand on NT is still valid. I am writing this for the people who might have had genuine misgivings about NT's film roles in late 80s.

In a general comment people say except MM and TM, the other films were not upto the mark in the 90s. I would come back to it after sometime where I want to point out one or two movies.Till then

Regards

joe
5th April 2007, 09:24 PM
Wow! Yet another wonderful post MuraLi sir :D

unhappyboy
5th April 2007, 11:41 PM
In my earlier post, I had attempted to answer the charge that NT failed to do films with some top guns of Tamil Cinema. The second allegation was he didn't choose stories or good directors and he wasted his career. Generally putting it,

Thanks for the wonderful post. The accusation is not only against NT choosing crappy roles in crappy movies, but also his acting in such movies. He was just a shadow of his former self in the 80s, even in 70s. He just didn't have it in him to play heroic roles once he became a little older, unlike SS and K who play heroes even in their 50s or 60s, perhaps even in 70s.

Thing is, NT's defeat was at the psychological level. The man who acted in immortal movies like P'Manippu, PMP, PM etc. was totally overshadowed by two kids (SS and K) just 7 or 8 years later. That was so unexpected, and that's how his decline started. He just couldn't compete with them, and directors were forced to give him the old guy's role and nothing more. Out of respect, some producers may have given him hero's role, but such movies flopped because who'd want to see an old man dancing around a woman half his age and size?

Bottom line, NT could've accepted his defeat graciously and stopped acting. Instead, he acted in crappy movies, dancing like a teenager in his old age and thus became a laughing stock. This is the truth about this great actor. There is no shame in admitting this, it's painful, I know. I am an NT fan too. But this has happened to everyone. MSV was topped by IR, Rajesh Khanna was upstaged by Bachan, and so forth. So there's no shame in admitting that SS' and K's arrival hastened NT's inglorious exit.

And because NT couldn't accept this, because he couldn't believe that the people who worshipped him in the 60s were rejecting him hardly 7 years later, he lost his balance and started doing a series of crappy movies. THat explains why his last 20 years were totally wasted, as someone rightly mentioned.

tacinema
6th April 2007, 12:09 AM
-deleted-

It is a bit of unwanted that you said you are a fan of NT. Why do you say that in every post of yours? Is any one crying that you are a not a NT fan?? Stop saying that.

Don't bring SS and K to justify your NT outpourings. What next from you?? NT's unprestigious exit because of Vijay/ajith/vikram/simbu??

-deleted-

rajeshkrv
6th April 2007, 01:54 AM
there was a movie parambariyam starring NT and SD - it should be late 80's i guess

groucho070
6th April 2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks Murali sar for your wonderful posts.

It really opened my eyes, because I am one of the critics of NTs 80s era. I was of the opinion that the era did not help NT. It's 80s fault, not NTs. But I now forgive the 80s, as it did give some good stuff.

Sar, I am one of those who are out of Tamil Nadu, way out...kadal thaandi.

And no thanks to the fact that my father is an MGR fan, most big screen offering we saw was of MGRs.

At that time (late 70s, 80s) the number of big screen offering dwindled terribly, and most movies reached us through video cassettes, quality of which were between bad to downright nauseating.

Again, we caught NTs 80s movie only on TV or through the VHS. They failed to interest me then. I think seeing MGR on big screen had massive impact on me.

As mentioned before; my love for NT grew, when I was studying Hollywood, reading books, biographies, philosophies. Then, NT came to my mind and when I rewatched NT (again, with VHS, VCD and later DVD) I saw something that I never did when I was a kid.

I found myself totally immersed in the 60s to early 70s performance.

I dismissed eighties because the scripts were bad, the direction was even worse, his co-stars were poor and the general quality of filmaking were pathetic. I hated the editing style so common in 80s, were you can see that the directors is one lazy son of a gun.

If I stumble on these films, I watch for NT and NT alone. I have nothing else to appreciate in these films.

Of course, there are exceptions. MM is one, of course. And I love NT in DavaniKanavugal; where he managed to combine patriotism and humour. Who else can do that.

Or the henpecked husband in Lakshmi Vanthachu. Deliciously funn (and even had smattering of politically laced dialogues).

But reading you posts, I felt the sharp pang of pain. Considering that you are my hub guru, I am taking your posts very seriously.

In dismissing the 80s, I see these faults in me:

1. Not seeing it on big screen.
2. The crappiness of other factors overshadowed my analysis of NTs characterisation.
3. I rediscovered NT late. I was growing up with Kamal and Rajini more.
4. I discovered Hollywood late. Indulging in classic Hollywood after my school days made me appreciate NT more.
5. Not being in India.

But as I said, I have opnened my eyes. Watching DVD of course will never give you the satisfaction of watching on big screen, but I like the fact that I can do more analysis when there is nobody else. No distraction. Just me, the screen and NT.

Still, I wish they will do some kind of revival of old NT films.

NOV, do you think we can get some real NT fans of Malaysia together and do proper screening.

There is Sivaji Kalai Mandram...but the less I talk about it the better.

Thanks again, Murali-sar, you really clarified a lots of things.

smith
6th April 2007, 10:44 AM
murali srinivas,
U have made a good post. But the point is that NT never really explored new levels of acting in the few good films of acting that U mentioned - Vaa kanna vaa, vellai roja, thunai etc.,

Also, he was not in a stage where he had to do commerically viable films since he did not have to prove his B.O standing to anybody.

He should have been competing with himself.

Coming to specifics, rishimoolam,oorum uravum, sathya sundaram , krishnan vandhan, anbulla appa were mediocre films.(I am terming it medicore in comparison with his earlier films).

padhikakatha panniyar was a remake of the sivaji-TG film made in the 60s (I forget the name).

Even agreeing that he made good movies after tirisoolam, out of the 80 odd, U have been able to point out hardly a dozen of them Urself.

he could have taken the ashok kumar route - playing elderly roles with depth with younger heroes.

Instead he tried playing hero to younger heroines like sridevi, radha,ambika. To quote a specific example : he played a 1st year engg college student in thambathyam ftg ambika & radha.

The point made is that when he could explore many more shades of his talent, he chose not to. That is our regret.

This is in no way a question of his supreme talent. In spite of all this, NT remains one of the world's greatest actors.

No one can deny that.

NOV
6th April 2007, 12:18 PM
NOV, do you think we can get some real NT fans of Malaysia together and do proper screening.

There is Sivaji Kalai Mandram...but the less I talk about it the better.that quite aptly says it all.
Yes, there are 100s thousands of Sivaji fans here and there is a Sivaji function every year. 100s of siivaji impersonators too. aayiram irundhum vasadhigal irundhum..... :cry:

groucho070
6th April 2007, 01:36 PM

There is Sivaji Kalai Mandram...but the less I talk about it the better.that quite aptly says it all.
Yes, there are 100s thousands of Sivaji fans here and there is a Sivaji function every year. 100s of siivaji impersonators too. aayiram irundhum vasadhigal irundhum..... :cry:

I know some the fellers running the show. Most of the time it is meant for self congratulatory purposes...slap each others back. And the nauseating part is when some is given NT award. Oh man...I need a sink....

We need real NT fans. Do an actual screening...wonder who has all those reels? Columbia?

NOV
6th April 2007, 01:53 PM
We need real NT fans. Do an actual screening...wonder who has all those reels? Columbia?Yes, in Masjid India.

a small cineplex like in State would do.

Murali Srinivas
7th April 2007, 05:10 PM
Dear Rajesh,

The movie " Paarampariyam" starring NT & SD was in the making and if my memory serves me right it was directed by Manobala. But as for as I know, this never got released. Though somebody is quoting it as 1993 release in the list, it never came out. Correct me if I am wrong.

Dear Groucho,

I understand your feelings, since in your very first post you had mentioned that you were born and brought up in Malaysia. As you had rightly pointed out, big screen viewing is what it takes to understand NT. Otherwise it was no fault of yours or any hubber because TV/VCD/DVD would not be able to do justice. Hope you with NOV arrange and enjoy NT on big screen.

Dear Unhappyboy,

I have not replied to any of your posts because I strongly feel you have some hidden agenda. Instead of comparing NT with another, I feel you are using Rajini and Kamal as shields and in case of any backlash, you can go scot free. I can reply to all your points but I don't want to do.Instead I would ask you to check your facts before posting it. Especially the 6-7 year period after 60s, better learn things from persons(if at all they knew) who are behind you.

Dear Smith,

As an admirer of NT, I understand your stand on his later day films. Just as I had written, it was not my intention to justify all his roles. He did some movies which he could have avoided. But my point was there was an attempt by him to try out new, but they never got the required support from the public. You had said that he need not have thought about BO success, but the point was NT as a person was from the old school of thought and he was always interested in the commercial welfare of his producers. This would be surprising to many next generation people to know that NT raised his salary to 1 Lakh only after Navarathiri. Even in 1971- 1973 period when whatever he touched turned Gold, he raised his salary by just 25,000 Rs. Compare this to present day happenings.

Again the argument would come that his own production house could have produced. This is what I explained in the previous post. Sivaji Productions had roped in not only Balu Mahendra but was also planning to do films with freshers. But unfortunately before this could materialise, NT's brother VC Shanmugam who was looking after the entire business passed away suddenly in 1986. Days before he died (March,1986), "Ananda Kanneer" had been released and "Aruvadai Naal" had been launched which saw the debut of GM Kumar as director and RP Viswam as the story writer. His untimely passing away upset NT and it threw a spanner in the production works. Ramkumar who made his debut in AN had to make it as his swan song and took over the business. It took some time for him to come to grips and when he was ready, NT's political plunge and sickness all happened.

Again my point was NT always scouted for fresh talent and different themes. In my last two posts, I failed to mention this. He was keen to do a story of Mahendran again after Rishimoolam. In fact P.Madhavan, a director from the old school of thought but who had worked with Mahendran in Thangappathakkam went to Mahendran and Hitler Umanath was announced.

The film had a irony in its title itself in the sense the Hero was a coward, afraid of anything and everything but nick named as Hitler. The fans and admirers of NT were eagerly awaiting the film but alas, the end product (Jan 1982) was poorly executed. May be a long delay in the making had affected it, but it also showed that Mahendran was fast losing his touch as a good story teller. The pity was it was due to reasons other than cinematic. That's why as you must be aware, in spite of Rajini's helping hand his Kai Kodukkum Kai failed.

In the same manner NT did a Mafia Don in "Garuda Sowkiyyama" a loose adaptation from God Father. But it did not synchronise with our people. Other than this he was ready to work with any new comer. He gave chance to Karthik Ragunath for Veerapandian, Mani vannan, Manobala, BR's B-I-Law(I don't remember his name) who did Mannukul Vairam. In fact he even brought Balachandra Menon from Kerala for his Thaikku Oru Thalattu (Menon had done the original Aankiliyude Tharattu in Malayalam). But when they didn't bring out the desired results, can NT alone be blamed?

You were talking about Thambathiyam. It was directed by Manobala. If you remember Manivannan, Manobala and Rangaraj were the three assistants of BR who were spoken of highly in the late 80s. When they (remember even Manivannan did a action movie Jallikattu with NT) made some mediocore films with NT, what can we say?

He was ready to share screen space with any established/
upcoming Hero in the late 70s and 80s. He did films with Rajini (4 Films excluding Padayappa), Kamal, Sathyaraj, Vijaykanth,Karthik, Rahman, Suresh, Pandiarajan other than Vijayakumar and Jaiganesh in the late 70s, when they were heroes. This he did for he wanted exposure to fresh talent.

Then coming to NT acting with heroines half his age accusation, you and others speak about Sri Devi, Ambika & Radha. To borrow your own wordings out of his 60 odd movies after Tirusoolam, NT just did 2 films with Sri, 2 films with Ambika and only one film with Radha (which also had Ambika). I am not supporting that casting.
As I said earlier, only the people more belonging to cities/towns were having misgivings about NT-Sri. But what about their BO performance? While VR had a 100 day run (competing with Varumayin Niram Sivappu & Pollathavan), Sandhippu did a Silver Jublie and in even shifting theatres, it raked in money. Still it is to NT's credit that he avoided the pairing again.

Vaazhkai which had Ambika pairing NT was remade from Hindi Avatar starring Rajesh Khanna and Shabana. Balajee tried his level best to get the remake rights but Chitra Lakshmanan outbid him. CL was the PRO for Radha from the begining and so Ambika had no difficulty in grabbing the film, because she actively went after the role. That's how Ambika became NT's pair. As for as both Ambika and Radha playing opposite NT in Thambathiyam, it was more to do with Manobala.

In the 90s he was more interested in doing subdued performances and was actively searching for such roles about which I would come back.

Regards

sivank
7th April 2007, 06:05 PM
[tscii]Murali Sir as usual a very good one. People tend to forget NT was from old school. He respected the producers and fellow artists. He did some films just to help some of these.

-deleted-

Even today our big stars who are 50+ acting with way young girls and it is not a problem for peóple who critisises NT. My request again to people like unhappyboy is only this. Just enjoy the films which you like and leave the rest so as it is . Nobody has given only good movies. Appreciate if you can since this is a site for a particular person and people who take part in it wants to appreciate the films they have seen and enjoy the ones they havenīt seen by reading from others.

rajeshkrv
9th April 2007, 04:40 AM
Murali,

parambariam was released i've seen the posters in madurai
atleast in meenakshi paradise and saraswathi theatres

smith
9th April 2007, 12:00 PM
Murali,
Ur post was very well written. Thanks for clearing some misgivings. For Information, the director of manukkul vaiarm was manoj kumar. What is VR? Vellai roja? But sridevi was not the heroine there.

joe
9th April 2007, 12:04 PM
Smith,
VR here refers Visva Roobam

sankara1970
9th April 2007, 06:01 PM
As pointed out by senior hubbers,

1980s Tamil cinema had witnessed mediocre films and only here and there some good films (that too had some amount of vulgarity)
and over the period the taste of cinema goers changed.
compared to 1970s

even in 80s, the liking of people are divided as it has been always

Those who had given big hits, had also sufferred losses subsequently, when people's likings changed.

When Mahendran, Balu Mahendra started giving different movies, they got noticed, but could they give regularly good movies?

They had to compromise in order to survive in industry or just stay away.

For NT film was his life and he conquered great heights, which no one can even imagine!

NOV
9th April 2007, 06:21 PM
I understand your feelings, since in your very first post you had mentioned that you were born and brought up in Malaysia. As you had rightly pointed out, big screen viewing is what it takes to understand NT. Otherwise it was no fault of yours or any hubber because TV/VCD/DVD would not be able to do justice. Hope you with NOV arrange and enjoy NT on big screen.
I too was born and bred in Malaysia Murali. When I was growing up, cinema visits were rare and only once or twice a year. I can count with both hands the number of NT films I saw in the cinema.

most of what I saw and fell in love, were from video cassettes and television. but I was fortunate to grow among siblings who love tamil cinema especially those of Sivaji, TMS, Kannadhasan and MSV - these are greatest men ever to have walked/walk the earth. :)

sankara1970
9th April 2007, 06:24 PM
As pointed out by senior hubbers,

1980s Tamil cinema had witnessed mediocre films and only here and there some good films (that too had some amount of vulgarity)
and over the period the taste of cinema goers changed.
compared to 1970s

even in 80s, the liking of people are divided as it has been always

Those who had given big hits, had also sufferred losses subsequently, when people's likings changed.

When Mahendran, Balu Mahendra started giving different movies, they got noticed, but could they give regularly good movies?

They had to compromise in order to survive in industry or just stay away.

For NT film was his life and he conquered great heights, which no one can even imagine!

joe
9th April 2007, 07:56 PM
I can count with both hands the number of NT films I saw in the cinema.

In this regard we (who born and brought up in TN) are really gifted .Apart from Tent Kottahais at village sides ,towns and cities has second hand theatres screening old movies (mostly MGR,NT movies) througout the year .In cities like Chennai,Trichy, madurai you can see MGR ,NT movie posters anyday.

During my college days ,when my classmates rushing for newly released kamal,rajini movies ,I used to be in a tent kottahai where NT movies is running ,not to mention ,with almost packed enthusiatic crowd ,but mostly I am the only one in my age.

Murali Srinivas
9th April 2007, 08:43 PM
Dear Sivan,Sankara,Smith

Thanks for your kind words.

Smith,

Thanks for the info.

Rajesh,

Definitely it is news to me. But Of course during that period of release (1993) I had left Madurai. Let me check with my friends.

Dear NOV,

In your case most of the films you had seen only thro' TV/VCD/DVD, since you didn't have the chance to see in big screen.

My point is most of the persons who critisise NT are from the younger generation who watch present day movies in Theatre but they see old movies in TV/VCD/DVD and that too in bits and pieces. That does not give them the real picture nor the actual scenario that existed then. This is what I have been mentioning.

Regards

smith
10th April 2007, 10:35 AM
I am told that there is a book written on acting (I forget the name). It is considered to be an authority onacting techniques & procedures. Seems only 2 actors are featured in int : Marlon Brando & Sivaji Ganesan.

Does anybody have the details?

sankara1970
10th April 2007, 02:30 PM
[tscii:550bdfbdf3]· In 1962, Ganesan toured the U.S., where he was given the honour of being the mayor of Niagara City for one day. He along with the former Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru were the only two Indians to be honoured this way.
· During a visit to the U.S. in June 1995, Sivaji Ganesan found himself in Columbus, Ohio. Mayor Greg Lashutka named him honorary citizen of Columbus at a special dinner
Marlon Brando is supposed to have told Sivaji Ganesan that Ganesan can act like him (Brando) but he can never act like Sivaji Ganesan

Sometimes people used to critisice him that he over-acts but he always retorted by asking these people if they knew what was optimal acting! Grapevine sources say that he enacted a scene perfectly normally after a fan on the sets asked him why he overacted. And after the enactment, he went on to ask " Who would've watched THAT! "
[/tscii:550bdfbdf3]

joe
12th April 2007, 06:33 AM
[tscii]'Shivaji is my Sun'- Kamal

The 77th Birth Anniversary of Shivaji Ganeshan was held in Chennai on the 1st of October at Music Academy hall. Shivaji’s friends, family members, film stars and his fans had gathered in large numbers to attend the function.

A huge cutout of Shivaji sitting majestically on a chair was placed on the stage. The Chief Guests at the function were the Minister for Sports and Youth Development, Sunil Dutt and ‘Padmashri’ Kamalhasan.

Sunil Dutt said, “Shivaji was the undisputed king of acting across the world. He was also concerned with the welfare of the nation.”

In his usual philosophical way Kamal said, “We are celebrating the birthday of this fabulous actor. Everyday is a birthday for the Sun. Shivaji is my first sun. If you ask me, he is the only sun, sky and universe I know. I’m here to simply do a Surya namaskaram.”

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/tamil/834/

unhappyboy
12th April 2007, 07:33 AM
[tscii]'Shivaji is my Sun'- Kamal

The 77th Birth Anniversary of Shivaji Ganeshan was held in Chennai on the 1st of October at Music Academy hall. Shivaji’s friends, family members, film stars and his fans had gathered in large numbers to attend the function.

A huge cutout of Shivaji sitting majestically on a chair was placed on the stage. The Chief Guests at the function were the Minister for Sports and Youth Development, Sunil Dutt and ‘Padmashri’ Kamalhasan.

Sunil Dutt said, “Shivaji was the undisputed king of acting across the world. He was also concerned with the welfare of the nation.”

In his usual philosophical way Kamal said, “We are celebrating the birthday of this fabulous actor. Everyday is a birthday for the Sun. Shivaji is my first sun. If you ask me, he is the only sun, sky and universe I know. I’m here to simply do a Surya namaskaram.”

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/tamil/834/

Overacting or not, NT is the greatest in India, if not in the world, which in my view, he is. But try telling that to NIs, and they'll come up with 'oh, we have our dilip kumar, raj kapoor.' So annoying. :x

sankara1970
12th April 2007, 11:26 AM
[quote=joe][tscii]'Shivaji is my Sun'- Kamal
]

Overacting or not, NT is the greatest in India, if not in the world, which in my view, he is. But try telling that to NIs, and they'll come up with 'oh, we have our dilip kumar, raj kapoor.' So annoying. :x

In his acting days, NT was having good relationship with actors from other states too and they had mutual regard also

Madhu, Nageswararao, Sanjeev Kumar featured in Bharatha Vilas NT's film

When NT's Bagapirivinai was shown to Hindi actor(Dilip Kumar) he denied the role saying he can't do the role

Sharad Pawar invited NT and NT inaugurated film fest in Bombay in 90's

Amitab recently attended Prabu's son wedding and told :It is repect to the great actor

NT acted in a Hindi film and produced a movie *ing Sunil Dutt.

Many of NT's films are dubbed and remade in other languages.

All are open to criticisms.

It's easy to criticise others

The same NI who first criticised KH when Ek Duje Keliye was released, for his Hindi acsent, later crowned him for Nayakan

NI eat subzi (veg) more, less rice and more chappathi

SI eat more rice, less chapathi, more veg.

I mean, the trend changes, people change and their likings change-

Now we have Pani puri, pav bhaji in South

NI eat more of Idli and Dosa.

Artists are common for whole of the world.

That is why, we still talk about NT, the dictionary for acting

JJ (ex CM) once told when we have NT no need for University for acting

This was in response to MGR who announced University for acting skills!

NT had been inspiration for many present day actors

smith
12th April 2007, 12:27 PM
Correction : Dilip kumar was shown "Deiva magan" not "Baga pirivinai".

Though it is said that he had good relations with NI actors, when he passed away, not one of them had the courtesy to condole his death.

Amitabh was the only one, that too the next day saying that he could not condole the previous day owing to personal (?) reasons.

But I think, we should not be too bothered abt whether NIs recognize him or not.

Perhaps the greatest tribute was that even the normally stone faced policemen (regulating the crowd which had come to pay their last respects) were unable to control their tears.

NT will continue to live as long as cinema lives.

saradhaa_sn
12th April 2007, 02:07 PM
நடிகர்திலகத்தின் மீது எப்போதும் மாறாத அன்பும் சகோதர பாசமும் கொண்டிருந்த இசைக்குயில் 'பாரத ரத்னா' டாக்டர் ல்தா மங்கேஷ்கர், சிவாஜி மறைந்த செய்தி அறிந்தவுடன் நடிகர் திலகத்தின் புதல்வர்களோடு தொலைபேசியில் தொடர்பு கொண்டு, ஆழ்ந்த இரங்கலைத் தெரிவித்ததுடன், அவருடைய இறுதிச் சடங்கில் கலந்துகொள்ளவும் புறப்பட்டுக் கொண்டிருப்பதாக கூறினார்.

ஏற்கெனவே 'அன்னை இல்லத்தின்' வாயிலில் கட்டுக்கடங்காத கூட்டம் அலைமோதியதால், லதாவின் மருகை மேலும் நெருக்கடி தரக்கூடும் என்பதால் தற்போது வரவேண்டாம் என்றும், சிலநாள் கழித்து வரும்படியும் சொன்னார்கள். அதன்படி சிலநாள் கழித்து அன்னை இல்லம் வந்த லதா மங்கேஷ்கர் நடிகர் திலகத்தின் துணவியார் கமலா அம்மாவையும் அவரது புதல்வர்களையும் சந்தித்து ஆறுதல் கூறினார்.

சந்தித்து விட்டு வெளியில் வந்தபோது அவர் சொன்னது .. "எப்போதும் நெற்றி நிறைந்த குங்குமத்தோடு BHABI (அண்ணி) யைப்பார்த்து வந்த நான், இப்போது பொட்டில்லாத பாழ் நெற்றியோடு அவரைப்பார்த்து அதிர்ந்து போனேன்".

bkannan_19
12th April 2007, 03:23 PM
Any body gone through Sivaji's body language, I think no body touched the subject. That is one part of acting. Which the yesteryear actors MGR and Sivaji performed well in Cinemas. Any comments :idea:

groucho070
12th April 2007, 03:40 PM
Well, Kanan, you certainly have not gone through the whole of this thread, including the first part. You should. Some very detailed description of his body language. Go through them first, and we shall discuss.

bkannan_19
12th April 2007, 07:33 PM
Sorry mates, I am new to Mayyam and i am following this thread.

Nakeeran
12th April 2007, 09:32 PM
It would be nice / befitting if someone makes a movie on Nadigar Thilagam. How he came up in life , his achievements , the roles he played - all as a nice storyline .

May be Maniratnam could venture .

Nakeeran
12th April 2007, 09:47 PM
Here is the link for the evergreen PALUM PAZAMUM , part of the great 60s combo of NT with Bhimsingh. Wonderful portrayal by NT & well supported by Sarojadevi and others.

Music at its best .

http://techsatish-techsatish.blogspot.com/2006/11/palum-palamum-tamil-movie-download.html

groucho070
16th April 2007, 09:16 AM
This may be late...but allow me to wish all NT fans (and non NT fans too) a very Happy New Year.

Let's do more honour and spread the wonderful words about this great artiste. I think we are playing a part (not me exactly, the other wonderful contributors here) whereby NT's popularity is growing day by day and is reaching to those who have not even seen NT's film, let alone know him. Let's keep up this labour of love.

Nakkeerar-sar, from a scriptwriter's point of view, I think that NT's personal life will be a bit too dull for a movie. He is explosive on screen, but other than that, there is not much to write...unless we film the political side, which is also a bummer because NT was not so agressive.

The struggle part for the earlier time.

If a film were to be made, it should be from the time he joined drama company, follow him throughout the struggle and end with him winning a role in Parasakthi. We can end the film with his first day shooting, where he holds the coin and says, "success."

The problem is...who can play him. How to play a great actor? That's mad.

Now, MGR? He makes a great character for a movie. I know, Mani did Iruvar, but it touched very little and focussed on friendship and relationship more than his own private struggle for success. The pain he took to make Nadodi Mannan itself warrants a film.

Lets see if anyone comes out with an idea.

bkannan_19
16th April 2007, 08:36 PM
You give lot details about MGR too who is a close friend of Sivaji (but all think they are rivals)

thamiz
17th April 2007, 08:05 AM
One of the speciality of NT movies is that, "oli chiththiram" . I memorized most of his dialogues from OC.

* thanka padhakkam

* thiruviLaiyaadal

* manOkaraa

* parashakthi

* pattikkaadaa pattaNmaa

* Vasantha maaLigai

* Gauravam

*VeerapANdiya kattabomman.

I believe his "loud voice" strengthens OC of his movies and make them successful.

joe
17th April 2007, 09:14 AM
Thamiz,
When we talk about OliChithram of NT movies ,I have sweet and funny memories. :D

In my village ,Most of the people are stunch MGR fans to the extend they only listen MGR songs ..During my childwood ,In my village ,during functions like Marriage ,atleast for 2 days there was loud speakers with gramaphones from weeding house ..If there was a wedding house near my house I used to eagerly wait for loudspeakers start tp play songs ..

when they start as usual after 2 or 3 christian songs ,they will start MGR songs and only MGR songs ..The operator used to be advised not to play any non-MGR songs ,especially NT songs ..But the funny thing happens during night ..At around 8PM ,the same stunch MGR fans will come and say to the operator "Hey ! Paatta niruthittu Veerapandiya kattabomman vasanatha podu" :lol: ..So by default they will play VPK or Parasakthi or ThiruviLayadal oli chithram ..

The people who even want to restict NT movie songs ,are stunch fans of NT movies oli chithram .Eventhough it is funny ,it shows how even stunch MGR fans admire NT vasanams. :D

rachel
17th April 2007, 09:20 AM
//If there was a wedding house near my house I used to eagerly wait for loudspeakers start tp play songs ..//

loudspeakers
:o

joe
17th April 2007, 09:39 AM
//If there was a wedding house near my house I used to eagerly wait for loudspeakers start tp play songs ..//

loudspeakers

why surprise ? :roll: It is still in practice in villages :)

rachel
17th April 2007, 09:42 AM

loudspeakers

why surprise ? :roll: It is still in practice in villages :)

really.. :o it's hindu kovil thiruvilla :oops:

joe
17th April 2007, 09:48 AM
Rachel,
No .It is not only for Thiruvizhas (In my village no Hindu temple,all are christians)..Even for marriage functions..in old days ,marraige reception will not be in Kalyana mandapams ,but at the house ..So they temperarly put a Olai Kottagai infron of house ,decorate with lights and loudspeakers at two ends and play songs atleast for 2 days. Noadays most of the marriages moved to Kalyana mandapams ,but this loudspeakers still there ,but slowly changing to Speaker Box :)

sankara1970
17th April 2007, 12:30 PM
ya it's wonderful to listen to such songs during marriages and festivals.(except during exams)

"Varai en thozi" song is evergreen for marriages

There used to be rivalry in playing songs between fans.

In our place, nearby villages, they used to play music, vasanams,
cinemas during festivals.

It was always a practice to show one NT movie&MGR movie-though youngsters prefered Rajini or Kamal starer-on one of the days

I miss it now-I am in Gulf and I can't hear songs in loudspeakers.

nemesis786
17th April 2007, 12:54 PM
Sivaji Being Felicitated By Kamal n Rajini :

http://i18.tinypic.com/346w712.jpg

joe
17th April 2007, 01:08 PM

This is Chevalie award function at Chidamparam Stadium ,I attended this function :D

nemesis786
17th April 2007, 01:13 PM

This is Chevalie award function at Chidamparam Stadium ,I attended this function :D

Neenga mediala irukeengala :o

joe
17th April 2007, 01:18 PM

Neenga mediala irukeengala :o

Enna LoLLa? :D
I was one of the cricket stadium packed spectators of this function :)

nemesis786
17th April 2007, 01:20 PM
Oh cricket stadiumla nadandhudha! Great :D

bkannan_19
17th April 2007, 03:19 PM
There was lot of sad songs to Sivaji when compared to MGR, because most directors and story writers wanted to show Sivajis talent in acting. Which he possessed but the consequence is the songs cannot be aired in such functions. It is pity.

joe
17th April 2007, 03:21 PM
There was lot of sad songs to Sivaji when compared to MGR, because most directors and story writers wanted to show Sivajis talent in acting. Which he possessed but the consequence is the songs cannot be aired in such functions. It is pity.

Yeah! We discussed this before and many listed out some NT songs suits for Mangala Functions

bkannan_19
17th April 2007, 03:26 PM
The best film of Sivaji to my knowledge is Mudhal Mariyathai, Kapalotiya Thamilan and Veera Pandiya Kattabomman in the list. I like his humours films such as Anchal patti 520, Kalatta Kalyanam, Sabash Meena.

bkannan_19
17th April 2007, 03:33 PM
Are you online Joe I got the reply mesage like a reflex.

thamiz
19th April 2007, 08:15 AM
Thamiz,
When we talk about OliChithram of NT movies ,I have sweet and funny memories. . :D

Shivaji movies stand above all when it comes to OC, joe :)

thimuru
19th April 2007, 02:03 PM
saw vietnam veedu in ktv yesterday...konjam over actingthan!

other then that....its good

joe
19th April 2007, 02:59 PM

Yeah! It might be over than acting you expect from other usual actors..Take it easy :)

groucho070
19th April 2007, 03:21 PM

Yeah! It might be over than acting you expect from other usual actors..Take it easy :)

:lol:

I think overacting is like cholestrol. There is a good one and a bad one. The one in Gauvaram and Vietnam Veedu are good overacting. It's needed and worked for the characters.

By the way, Thimiru, Barrister Rajinikanth is Prestige Pathmanaban's cousin.

Pras
19th April 2007, 05:09 PM

i already told you joe, no ? it is chevalier not chevalie ;)

thimuru
19th April 2007, 06:28 PM

unusual acting is also irritatating sometimes....just kidding :wink:

shivaji is tolerable...padmini :twisted:

Nakeeran
19th April 2007, 08:18 PM
Thimiru,

That vietnam veedu characterisation is a typical portrayal of middle class brahmin family of the 60s . I have seen this type of behaviour from my grandparents and I have been told by my parents also that NT character is typical of such a climate prevailed then.

So IMO, the portrayal is perfect. We cannot analyze a character portrayal which existed during a particular period as over acting now.

There are many touching scenes in that movie and u should enjoy the movie as if you are from that society . Then u will feel at home !

thimuru
19th April 2007, 08:48 PM
Thimiru,

That vietnam veedu characterisation is a typical portrayal of middle class brahmin family of the 60s . I have seen this type of behaviour from my grandparents and I have been told by my parents also that NT character is typical of such a climate prevailed then.

So IMO, the portrayal is perfect. We cannot analyze a character portrayal which existed during a particular period as over acting now.

There are many touching scenes in that movie and u should enjoy the movie as if you are from that society . Then u will feel at home !

know its a wonderful portrayal..i just mention that he went overboard in certain scenes...

but that helped as some persons of that type behave that way!

may be 120% :D

Nakeeran
19th April 2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Thimiru

There is another movie Paritchaikku neramachu wherein NT plays a character of a middle class Iyengar ! The dress pattern, the dialogue delivery all that of a typical triplicane Iyengar style ! I think he must have studied such type of persons and depict such characters !

Sadly, this movie came late in his career and I dont think it was commercially hit. A nice story by Y.G.Mahendran and well portrayed by NT .

One should say emphatically that only NT , at the prime of his youth, played elderly characters / villain type roles with ease !

Even palum pazamum, if you view closely, he will give the portrayal of a middle aged man !

Par magale par is another such portrayal.

Alayamani is magnificent depiction of a split personality who changes his traits quickly .

Namma ellarum ennavo Vikram seidhadhu dhan split perso. endru ninaikirom. Not true. NT had done this long before .

Murali Srinivas
19th April 2007, 09:37 PM
Earlier I had talked about the 80s, with particular mention to some different films that NT attempted. The 90s saw less activity but still NT was eager to do films which would showcase his skills in underplay, which people accused/accusing of not doing.

But the sad part here is due to the political plunge and the subsequent happenings in that front which led to his downfall plus ill health which constantly tormented him had a major role in denying him the opportunities.

If we look at the chronological releases of NT, we could see he did a fair no of Telugu movies in 80s more due to the fact Telugu actor Krishna was a close friend of him. So he did Telugu movies produced by Padmalaya Combines (Krishna's production house. In fact when Krishna remade Hindi Mard as Maa Veeran in Tamil, he wanted NT to play the role of Dara Singh in the original, father of Rajini. Even the ad in Thanthi on the launch date had NT's photo, but it did not materialise).

But in 90s, he turned towards Malayalam. Though he acted in Tacholi Ambu in the late 70s, he took interest in Malayalam movies rather the artists and technicians of Malayalam and some projects were drawn. The first one was(which I mentioned earlier) a film to be directed by Suhasini which also had Mammootty. When that was in planning stage, Kovai Cheizhyan came with an ambitious project. He had a good rapport with NT right from Ooty Varai Uravu days and it was KC who introduced Mammootty in Tamil thro' his Mounam Sammatham. He brought NT and Mam together and Joshi of Malayalam was drafted in to direct the movie. It was going to be a Father- Son confrontation and KC even tried to rope in SriDevi to play opposite Mam. The screenplay was getting ready and when the launch was about to happen, NT suffered that attack in Singapore which jeopardised everything.

But NT after Thevar Magan wanted to play such type of roles and now he turned his attention towards Mohanlal, whom he affectionately used to call as Maappilai (Balaji-yode Maapilai-na enakkum Maappilai-than). NT and Lal joined together and a movie by name "Swarna Chamaram" was announced to be directed by Rajeevnath. The story was again Father-Son relationship and it had a interesting stroryline of Mercy Killing. NT was to play the patient. But after few days shooting, the film came to a halt for reasons not disclosed.

But this time NT was keen to do a film and so Lal called up Priyadharsan who came up with the screen play and Prathap Pothen was put in charge of direction. This movie was named "Oru
Yathra Mozhi" which was mostly shot in Pollachi-Udumalpet areas. Here NT played as a Tamilian Contractor who comes to a Kerala village for taking up a contract job. He meets Lal there who is a ruffian to others but has a soft corner for NT and NT reciprocates the same. Lal has a mission to avenge and NT comes in as a crucial character. I had seen this movie in Theatre (it was released in 1997 August, but never came to big screen in TN, though Sivaji Films has the TN rights) and many times thereafter in Asianet.

This is again a movie where you will find NT playing it very naturally and the combo of NT-Lal jelled like anything. It turned out to be a big hit. At that point of time, NT had recieved Dada Sahib Balke Award (July 1997) and it was the Malayalam Cine Industry who took the initiative to faciltate NT before even the Tamil Industry could do so. The function was held at Trivandrum and the stadium was jampacked. The entire Malayalam industry turned up to wish NT. Oru Yatra Mozhi was running at that time. NT became emotional and thanked everyone.

The success of OYM saw an announcement of a Magnum Opus " The Mahabharatham" in which NT, Mam and Lal along with Thilakan, Nedumudi Venu were to play important roles. NT was supposed to play Bheeshmachariya. To be scripted by MT Vasudevan Nair and to be directed by Hariharan (the pair which gave films like Oru Vadakkan Veeragadha), this had raised tremnedous expectations. But later on probably due to the fact that Malayalam film industry with it's limited market could not afford to produce such a extravaganza, this could not proceed further.

It should be clear that NT had always wanted to do new things in different perspectives, but due to circumstances, many of them could not materialise. Since these informations are not known to many, NT for no fault of his is often blamed. This is not an attempt to absolve him of all blames. I would be the first to admit that he did some worst films which he could have avoided. That was more due to the fact he could not say no to some persons and sort of an exploitation happened. Otherwise we could have seen seen some more jems from NT.

Regards

joe
20th April 2007, 06:39 AM
Murali,Nakeeran,
Great posts! :D

joe
20th April 2007, 08:14 AM
A chat with Chevalier
http://www.rediff.com/entertai/dec/24siv.htm

groucho070
24th April 2007, 10:04 AM
I have seen that article sometimes back, Joe. In fact, it was researching for these stuff that I ended up in Hub.

There is this line he says in that interview:

"Many people say, that I act quite well," he smiles modestly with a faint hint of amusement.

I heard that in another interview: "Nan ennamo nalla nadikkireen-nu sollikkiraangga."

The face, when he said that. Bit amused, bit sarcastic and mostly looking like he really means it.

There is something that I have been thinking about lately and I wrote in other threads. Stars relationship with media.

While some are recluse, they are not hostile. Really hostile relationship goes back long time ago when NSK and MKT were accused (did they) of killing an editor.

How was NT's relationship with media. I am in the media myself, so I know the value of a good relationship. Especially actors because they appear in a form of media themselves.

Can anyone care to comment on that? Joe?

joe
24th April 2007, 10:14 AM
Groucho,
I guess NT was very much media friendly ..But due to his heavey schedule ,he might not move with media people directly ..His brother shanmugam was the contact person and media used to reach NT through Mr.Shanmugam.

NT gave interviews to many media sources outside India also (Srilanka,Singapore,Malaysia) ..I have posted the link of audio of NT interview given to Abdul Hameed long ago for Srilankan radio ..I hope same happened with media from singapore and malaysia.

In TN ,media was somehow biased and mostly influence by politics ..NT as a congressman ,was highlighted by Pro-Congress media and slightly ignored by Pro-DMK media.

But NT was very casual ,humorous and sharp during his interviews.

groucho070
24th April 2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks Joe.

well, I think it is sad that the media is always too interested in politics. Okay, they should but they should be able to divide politics and cinema.

I am sure that if the media had put politics aside, both MGR and NT would have given many, many wonderful interviews about their work, the behind the camera activities for fans to share. Too bad, politics came and ruin all that.

Its the same politics that made Rajini a media recluse. It's his own fault. If he had stayed away talking about it, he would not have worried about media.

I have downloaded the link you sent. I wonder if we can get something like that done here. My memories of his interviews are of the last decade. I would be very inteerested to read the media pieces that appeared at that time. Wonder who has the collection...

sankara1970
24th April 2007, 11:56 AM
The media publicity is now a days very important for one to get noticed.

In those days, cinema occupied small portion in newspaper and magazines.

People learnt about releasing of cinema thro' magazines and through posters or the moving ads.

For NT always his hardwork did earn him name and fame.

He never used media to improve his fame. On the contrary, the media blamed him whenever he failed and made merry at his failures.

Though he had friends and wellwishers in media, many times the criticisms got noticed and given more importance.

His hardwork reached people only thro' cinema as media.

There were some magazines started by his fans when NT was in his peak.

joe
24th April 2007, 12:02 PM
Not to forget ,the title 'Nadigar Thilagam' is used and made popular by a magazine 'Pesum Padam'

Nakeeran
24th April 2007, 06:54 PM
http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/partha_gnabagam_2.wmv

The above is the link for the ever famous Partha nyabagam illayo VERSION 2. Look at the way, this man reacts slowly with astonishment while playing piano :shock:

Actually, the moment Sowcar janaki starts humming , this man reacts INSTANTANEOUSLY with a sense of shock and stunned look !

And as the song progresses further, look at the violent reaction . Unable control his frustration, shock !

INDHA MANIDHAR NADIPADHARKENDRE PIRANDHAVAR :D

m_23_bayarea
24th April 2007, 06:58 PM
http://psgold. tamilinfo. net/partha_ gnabagam_ 2.wmv

INDHA MANIDHAR NADIPADHARKENDRE PIRANDHAVAR :D

What a beautiful song! Actually, all songs in that movie are top notch! My fav is Chittu kuruvi mutham koduthu! :musicsmile:

Nakeeran
24th April 2007, 07:00 PM
Bay did u download the link ? Just watch it . Amazing ! The picturisation also is too good.

The camera rotating in full swing along with that great man !

joe
24th April 2007, 07:10 PM
Nakeeran,
Mikka Nanri!

(I have corrected the broken link address on behalf of you..hope you don't mind)

Nakeeran
24th April 2007, 07:26 PM
Joe . Thanks for that. :D and wait for one more surprise !

Now , this is the link for the VERSION 1 :

http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/partha_gnabagam_1.wmv

Look at the way, the song starts !

Side profile of the greatest actor smoking in a very stylish manner

And look how gracefully he gives a glance at Sowcar at the first instance !

As the first charanam ends, look at the way he glares in surprise at that lady Sowcar J !

No wonder Rajini admits that NT was the first style king !

joe
25th April 2007, 08:15 AM
:D

joe
25th April 2007, 09:17 AM
Nakeeran,
I uploaded the video in youtube and posted in my blog :D .Nanri!

http://cdjm.blogspot.com/2007/04/blog-post_25.html

Nakeeran
26th April 2007, 01:28 PM
Joe sir vanakkam

One more beautiful song from PP :

http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/sittukuruvi.wmv

Look. This song is different . Why ? No singing for NT but be a passive support throughout the song . Just he will be giving reaction to Saroja Devi singing ! Romance :D

Murali Srinivas
27th April 2007, 09:18 PM
[tscii:836d8f9321]Dear Joe,

Sometime back you had started discussing about stylish songs of NT and do you remember me telling that I will come out with a list.

Actually while sitting at the Kamaraj Hall on Oct 1st of last year attending NT's birthday function, I thought about this.Reason is when there was screening of clippings from NT films, there were some which brought the hall down,some were sombre. I thought what if all songs that makes the NT fans go crazy could be arranged together and I mentally started preparing the list. This was purely based on my personal experience in the theatre. Parameters were

1. Fast/racy nature of songs

2. NT's unique style in those songs

3. Fans reaction in the theatre

And I could come out with the following list. I know, these may not cater to all people but this is purely a list which had evoked strong reaction in the theatre. I have gone according to the chronological order of releases. The period covered is 1958 Feb to 1979 Jan.

As I said earlier some may not accept the choice of some songs but this is purely a list of songs that evoke(d) happy reaction from fans.

The list is

1. Yaaradi Nee Mohini – Uttama Puthiran
2. Kanavin Maya Logathile- Annaiyin Aanai
3. Erodum enga Seerana - Bagha Pirivinai
4. Ponal Pogattum Poda – Paalum Pazhamum
5. Kodi Asaindhathum – P.P.Theerum
6. Satti Suttadhada – Aalaya Mani
7. Neerodum Vaigaiyile – P.M.Paar
8. Thoongatha Kannondru – Kungumam
9. Enadhu Raja Sabaiyinele – Kalyaniyin Kanavan
10. Ennirandu Pathinaru Vayathu – Annai Illam
11. Iravum Nilavum Valaratume – Karnan
12. Sindhu Nadhiyin Misai Nilavinele – K.K.Deivam
13. Aha! Mella Nada – Puthiya Paravai
14. Iravinil Aattam – Navarathiri
15. Yaar Andha Nilavu – Shanthi
16. Ahara Mudhala – S.Sabatham
17. VetriVel! Veeravel – Kandhan Karunai
18. Azagu Deivam Mella – Pesum Deivam
19. Kettavarellam Paadalam – Thangai
20. Mannavan Vandhanadi – Tiruvarutselvar ( Just for the majestic walk alone before the pallavi)
21. Happy Indru Mudhal – O.V.Uravu
22. Madhavi Pon Mayilal – Iru Malargal
23. Adiye Netru Pirandhavl – En Thambi
24. Ezhu Kadal Seemai – E.O.Raja
25. Yarada Manidhan Inge –L.Kalyanam
26. Velli Kinnam than – U.Manidhan
27. Deivame – Deiva.Magan
28. Kottai Madhil Mele- Thirudan
29. Oru Raja Raniyidam – Sivandha Mann
30. Pon Magal Vandhal – Sorgam
31. Oru Naal Ninaitha – Paadhugappu
32. Theru Paarka -Iru Dhruvam
33. Ulagam Ayiram – Arunodhayam
34. Yaanaikoru Kaalam – S.Samalee.
35. Vasandhathil Or(r) Naal – Moondru Deivangal
36. Varadhappa Varadhappa – Babu
37. Devane Ennai Paarungal – Gnana Oli
38. Adi Ennadi Rakkama – P.Pattanama
39. Oru Kinnathai – V.Maaligai
40. Iravukkum Pagalukkum – E.T.Raaja
41. Neeyum Naanuma-Gowravam
42. Inquilab zindabad- R.Rangadurai
43. Nallathoru Kudumbam – T.Pathakkam
44. Neengal Atthanai Perum – En Magan
45. Oonjalukku Poochooti – A.Manidhan
46. Kaadhal Rajiyam – M.Vandhanadi
47. Devan Vandandi – Utthaman
48. Nalavarkellam – Thyagam
49. Velale Vizhigal – E.P.Oruvan
50. Malar Koduthen – Tirusoolam

Two or three songs came to mind after posting.They are

1. Pavadai Dhavaniyil Paartha - Nitchya Thamboolam

2. Pon Ondru Kanden - Padithal Mattum Pothuma

3. Paravaigal Palavitham - Iruvar Ullam

Regards

[/tscii:836d8f9321]

m_23_bayarea
28th April 2007, 12:07 AM
Joe . Thanks for that. :D and wait for one more surprise !

Now , this is the link for the VERSION 1 :

http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/partha_gnabagam_1.wmv

Look at the way, the song starts !

Side profile of the greatest actor smoking in a very stylish manner

And look how gracefully he gives a glance at Sowcar at the first instance !

As the first charanam ends, look at the way he glares in surprise at that lady Sowcar J !

The way he'll look at Sowcar Janaki and start flirting with her, with those phrases like "How do you do?", "My pleasure", etc etc was very stylish! :smokesmirk: :smokesmirk:

tacinema
29th April 2007, 02:33 AM
Murali,

You can add the following songs, which always evoked a screaming response from fans:

Oru Naal podhuma - from Tiruvilaiyaadal
Enge nimmadhi - from Pudhiya Paravai (this song received a very strong screaming, standing ovation from fans when the movie was released in Madurai Alankar, in 1980s)
Yarukkaga, edhu yarukkaga - from Vasantha Maaligai (an evergreen song)
Kodupatharku oru manam - from Vasantha Maaligai
Muththangal Nooru - from Engal thanga raaja
Amaithiyaana nadiyinilae - from Andavan kattalai
Ammamma thambi - from Rajapart Rangadurai
Kanna neiyum naanuma - from gauravam
Thein Mallippoove - a beautiful song from Thyagam
O little flower - Neela vaanam
oho odum ennangale - neela vaanam

More importantly, most of these songs come with a great and unique mannerism of NT acting. One should see these movies with a group of fans to enjoy.

Murali Srinivas
30th April 2007, 09:05 PM
Dear tac,

I restricted myself to one song per film. Otherwise films like V.Maaligai and Karnan would have qualified for all songs inclusion. Yes but still Yarukkaga should have been there. In Irandu Manam Vendum song, the "alapparai" would be for the last charanam only starting with

Kangalin Dhandanai Kadhal Vazhi

and it will reach a cresendo during the last line

Kaduvulai Dhandikka enna Vazhi

When NT in his unique style would raise his right hand index finger up and the camera will capture him from the top angle.

Another miss you have correctly pointed out is "Oh! Little flower' from Neela Vaanam. As for as Oho! Oho! Odum Meghangale song is concerned, NT with a hat and a sunglass would be stylish to the core and that would make fans happy. But the situation is Devika doesn't know about her illness but NT knows and so when she sings the line

Varushamthorum Vasantham thedi Varuvom Inge ,
Vaadai Kaatril Modhum Paniyil Alaivom Inge
Neela Vaanam satchiyaga Indru pole Vaazhuvom; Kalam
Maari --------- Annai thanthai Aguvom;

he would just look at her. It would be more of hidden pathos on a outward happiness song. That's why I didn't include.

I am happy that this has triggered a series.

Regards

tacinema
2nd May 2007, 06:52 AM
Please visit this link: http://nadigarthilagam.com/nadigarthilagam/

A new site for NT that lists quite a good information. Some part of the site is still under construction.

I believe the site misses some of the silver jubilee hits: Example: Padikkatha Medhai. NT fan guru Murali can confirm this.

Our sincere thanks to NT fan V.Raghavendran for presenting this site to the tamil speaking world.

joe
2nd May 2007, 07:05 AM
Please visit this link: http://nadigarthilagam.com/nadigarthilagam/

A new site for NT that lists quite a good information. Some part of the site is still under construction.

I believe the site misses some of the silver jubilee hits: Example: Padikkatha Medhai. NT fan guru Murali can confirm this.

Our sincere thanks to NT fan V.Raghavendran for presenting this site to the tamil speaking world.

Great Info!

Hats off to V.Raghavendran :clap: :thumbsup:

Murali Srinivas
2nd May 2007, 05:10 PM
Dear tac,

The news about the website had come in today's "Hindu". I was about to put that info here when I saw your post.

About the contents, I am yet to browse and will come come back to you.

Regards

Murali Srinivas
2nd May 2007, 06:14 PM
Tac,

Padikkatha Medhai was not a Silver hit. What I have mentioned in the first part is it ran for 112 Days in our Madurai - Thangam, which is as good as Silver. Moreover NT's three films namely Parasakthi, Padikkatha Medhai & Karnan ran for 100 daysin Madurai Thangam supposed to be Asia's biggest theatre.(No other actor has this credit).

As for as other details are concerned(in the website), I just had a glance. There was one error like Nallothoru Kudumbam where the director was K.Vijayan but it is mentioned as Sp.M. I have written to Mr.Raghavendran. Let me go thro' in detail.

Regards

Murali Srinivas
2nd May 2007, 09:02 PM
Dear Joe & tac,

This person Mr.Raghavendran had immediately responded with a email and seems to be a nice person. I have invited him to our forum/NT thread by giving the URL.

Regards

NOV
3rd May 2007, 06:07 AM
Hero intro songs are common these days. From Rajini to the new kid on the block, everyone seems to have an awesome opening song.

Well, see Thiruvarutselvar for a thunderous opening for NT - mannavan vandhaanadi thOzhi. And the minute he starts walking, style is written all over NT. No wonder Rajini has admitted that NT is the original style mannan! :thumbsup:

tacinema
3rd May 2007, 06:12 AM
Murali: Great that you have invited him to this forum. The site has got a load of information about NT movies. Great treat to read, though you have covered a lot in this thread.

I wish Mr. Raghavendran come here soon to share some of his experience. One thing that impresses me is a brief outline that he gives for each movie. That is a hell of job and great work. Thanks again to Mr. Raghavendran.

It is nice to see that NT movies are divided into a chunk of 50s. One tough question: Which 50 do you like most?

Regards

joe
3rd May 2007, 08:01 AM
Dear Joe & tac,

This person Mr.Raghavendran had immediately responded with a email and seems to be a nice person. I have invited him to our forum/NT thread by giving the URL.

Regards

Btw,Was Thillana Mohanambal not a silver movie?

joe
3rd May 2007, 08:08 AM
Murali sir,
Thavanikanavugal ,Sangili are not 100 days movies? :roll:

groucho070
3rd May 2007, 02:14 PM
The man does it again. Thank you Murali-sar for the excellent list. And thanks for being in touch with Mr. Raghavendran. I am sure you, Joe and others can help him if he misses out any infor or for any errors.

But whetever it is there is bloody impressive!!! Will definitely use it as a reference point, but at the same time we'd appreciate it if you can point out the mistakes.

And Tac, though some of my favourites are in 151-200, I will accept that the 101-150 is the best block.

And I believe Murali-sar will agree because his favourite, Deiva Magan, is in that block.

How about others? Joe?

joe
3rd May 2007, 03:03 PM
Groucho,
For me 51-100 is the best.

Most of the Pa series with VPK,Karnan,Kappalottiya Thamizhan,Sabash Meena,Bale Pandiya ,navarathi,Puthiya paravai,Kai kodutha Deivam,AalayaMani ...wow. :D

Raghu
3rd May 2007, 03:46 PM
Dear all,

Can some1 tell me the name of the film this song has featured in??

'Kaaviyama nenjil ooviyamaa'

Many thanks in advance

joe
3rd May 2007, 03:55 PM
Dear all,

Can some1 tell me the name of the film this song has featured in??

'Kaaviyama nenjil ooviyamaa'

Many thanks in advance

Paavai ViLakku

sankara1970
3rd May 2007, 05:12 PM
CS Jayaraman has sung the song, right?

Trichy Loganathan has similar voice-I confuse between them.
(Father of TL Maharajan, Deepan Chakravarthy)

Kalyana Samayal Satham TL

Vinnodum Mukilodum-CSJ

Am I deviating?

Murali Srinivas
3rd May 2007, 08:18 PM
Dear groucho,

Well, it is my pleasure to talk on anything about NT. As I have mentioned yesterday, Mr.Raghavendran seems to be a nice polite person. Second time also I wrote to him regarding some errors in date of releases,music director's name etc. But I made it clear that it is not a mistake pointing exercise but a small help in making our NT site error free. He has replied stating that all corrections would be carried out. Only one date he disagrees with me, (Vilayattu Pillai)
but I think what I told him is correct, but let me check out.

tac & groucho,

Regarding my favourite block, it is tough to choose. If given a choice I would say 25-175, but as you (groucho) said my heart cares that bit extra for 101 -150 not only because of Deiva Magan but that was the period I became a NT fan (or as I would always like to say " Baptised in to the religion called NT" )

DEar Joe,

Thillana was not a Silver. It ran for 132 days in Madurai and around 140 days in Madras, I think.

Dhavani Kanuvugal was a 100 day movie and it is listed there in the website. As for as I know Sangili ran for 100 days atleast in Chennai though no function was held for the same. Not 100% sure though.

Regards

joe
4th May 2007, 01:18 PM
Interesting Article on NT's political carrier

http://www.thinnai.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=70705031&format=html

selvakumar
4th May 2007, 06:46 PM
Thaavani Kanavugal is a good one and I would say Nadigar Thilagam made it special. I loved all the scenes.

The role was a bit energetic and funny. The way he argues with the Judge in the court for Bagyaraj will be :rotfl: :thumbsup:

Even his interactions with that Therumukku Pillayaar too were good. IN the last scene, even Pillayaar will become a character in the movie. Awesome scene.

One dialogue which he utters during his conversation with the doctor will make the audience FEEL his nature. He will utter it in a casual way

"Ada.. Indha Vandikku ethukku paa OVER-OIL ellaaam.. ethaavathu puncture kinchure ottrua maari maathira marundu kodu" (something |||ar to this) :cry:

One of my favorite movies of NT. When I watched it for the first time, he looked like the HERO OF THE MOVIE. Awesome one with Good narration :clap:

P_R
4th May 2007, 08:57 PM
barathiyAr ellAm maalai pOdurAru..subramaniam photo anuppirukkAn

both funny and touching

kannannn
4th May 2007, 09:06 PM
Was watching one of my favourite Shivaji movies, Annayin Aanai again yesterday. I strongly recommend this movie to anyone who accuses him of overacting. One of my favourite scenes is when his mother dies. The camera slowly pans to his stunned face and pulls back, staying with him for almost two minutes (yes, I counted :mrgreen: ) And guess what? He just stares at the camera without blinking once through the entire shot. Absolutely stunning and marvellous. And it was a treat to watch Ranga Rao as the bad guy.

P_R
4th May 2007, 09:16 PM
I recall the famous scene where Savitri, in a fit of emotions, ripps his shirt of and claws at SivAji. SivAji is menacingly silent for an instant before he loses it. inga vandhappuram pazhaya padam paathu romba naal aagudhu :-(

joe
4th May 2007, 09:20 PM
Selva,Kanaan,PR,
Ippadi appapa vanthu NT paththi sollunga :D

kannannn
4th May 2007, 09:21 PM
Oh yep, Shivaji rocked in the movie. His expressions in the medai drama on Ashoka too were menacing. He retains his aggressiveness even when talking to the Bhikshus. Not to mention his interactions with Ranga Rao who is held hostage in his home. Threatening and still interlaced with humor . :thumbsup:

Murali Srinivas
5th May 2007, 04:42 PM
Dear Kannannn & Prabhu Ram,

It was nice to see you mentioning and discussing Annaiyin Anai.

PR,

The scene you mentioned would be excellent. After reacting to savithri's outburst he would slowely walk to the wash basin and clean himself of all the blood due to Savithri's clawing and would come back. You must see his face at that time. Wow!

Kannannn,

Not only underplay but he would be stylish to the core, like the song I mentioned " Kanavin Maya Logathile" .

In the Samrat Asoka drama, while listening to the mother/Buddist, his right eyebrow alone would twitch as a reaction. That's NT for you.

Selva,

Short but sweet description of Dhavani Kanavugal. Keep it up.

Regards

tacinema
7th May 2007, 04:58 AM
Two things happened this weekend related to NT:

1. Spent some time on NTs web site: nadigarthilagam.com and amazed with mountain of information available. One thing that stunned me and it is related to the classic: Tiruvilaiyaadal. The outline for this movie in the website says this: "Created a new chapter in the genre of mythological and puranic films. A woman fan of Sivaji, saw this film all the 175 days it ran at the Shanthi Theatre at the erstwhile Madras (now Chennai) city, which itself is a proof of the merit this film has." This is something unheard of; a woman watches the same movie for 175 times, one view per day!! Any other movie/actor claims this credit?

2. After a long time, I watched one of NT wonders: Paalum Pazhamum. This movie is more interesting now than the last time I watched. The movie is a family melodrama and has a lot of wonderful scenes. Some of them are:

** NT's character as a doctor is perfectly etched. What a wonderful narration when he goes for patient rounds and his mannerism beats even a real professional doctor. He acts like a real researcher when he talks of different chemical names during the research and it is a nice treat to watch

** The movie has got some of the finest emotional and sensitive scenes. When NT comes back home from hospital (after performing surgery) with TB medicine for his love wife Sarojadevi (who is down with TB), he doesn't find her. He looks her all over the house and finally finds Saro's letter on his bed. The letter says that she has decided to leave him so that NT could complete the research without any disturbances in life. This is a beautiful scene, especially when he thumps his chest and cries : "Santhi enge pone Santhi? Enne vittu enge ponne Santhi? Enge pone Santhi??". They are simple dialogues but they come out beautifully with NT's powerful performance. I still remember during my last view at Madurai Alankar, the whole theater just went into burst when this scene came up on the screen. What a performance! I think NT has given similar performance in different movies: in Paava mannippu, when MR Radha pours acid on NT's face (beautiful act); in Thangapathakkam, when his wife KRVijaya dies (repeated in Thaikku oru thalattu when Padmini dies, though not with same intensity)

** Another powerful and intense scene: in an intense argument with Sowcar, while doing research, NT meets with an accident and loses his eyes. Saro enters the house as a nurse to take care of NT, without revealing anyone that she is indeed his first wife. In the scene, when Saro enters his bed room with medicines, NT asks "Yaaru? Shanthia??" Sarojadevi, suppressing all her emotions, by mistake says "AaMaa!!". The camera just focusses NT who is sleeping and with background music switched off, an intense and happy facial NT gets up from bed by saying "Santhi, Santhi, Neeya". It is mesmerizing to watch the scene that the camera focussing from his leg angle and shows how NT gets up from the bed by chanting: "Santhi, Santhi". A beautiful scene and the director A. Bhim singh has used NT's mannerism very appropriately.

3. All songs are class act, especially Naan pesa ninaipathellam and ponal pogattum poda. Beautiful lyrics from Kaviarasar and scintillating music by MSV-TKR

4. Comedy track is good, with MR Radha, Balaiah and Karunanidhi give good support

5. Sowcar Janaki's character was a weak thread. IMO, A. Bhim Singh could have made her character a stronger one, considering she was one of the talented actresses around

On the end note, PP is a quality movie and one never gets tired to watch it any number of times. In my view, of all NT-Bhimsingh PAA series movies, I may categorize this movie better than Paasamalar and it comes very close to Paava manippu.

Regards

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th May 2007, 10:34 PM
one of my friend's friend wants to get into movies, strictly hero role....no american maappillai and all :lol:

i was just thinking. suppose, at some time before, acting as sivaaji, esp, kattabomman was followed, to prove one's acting skills. today, waht movie, performance would be lauded, if emulated, instead of kattabomman ??

groucho070
9th May 2007, 02:08 PM
Not sure what you are talking about Saka...you sure you are in the right thread?

Shakthiprabha.
11th May 2007, 04:53 PM
ppl,

I tried watching 'parashakthi' n no: of times.

Even then I somehow miss the title part of it.

I have never seen

arimugam
Ganesan

or arimugam
Sivaji ganesan.

I am just curious to know...

HOW WAS 'HIS HIGHNESS' introduced in his debut movie :)

Shakthiprabha.
11th May 2007, 05:00 PM
Watched parashakthi again!!!

:sigh2: ...

great men are BORN... not made :)

His intro on the big screen is on with a SLEEPY FACED young shivaji.

(just like rajnikant introduced as 'shruthi bedham' and yet travelled high and mighty)

You start admiring his eyes, his mannerisms everything....UNTIL HE GIVES A naughty smile at his brother!!!

WOW FOR THE SMILE. A smile which can capture millions of hearts.

Movie is full of DRAMATIC moves, unrealistic acting, exaggerated expressions as is common in some old movies.

IT STANDS HIGH because of excellnt screen play and...........

VERY VERY realistic acting, expressions and dialogue delivery by our very own SHIVAJI.

One can see the contrast of unrealistic dialogue delivery and expressions by ANYONE WHO ACTED in the movie before him, followed by his, natural, lively, acting which puts us back in place.

(one exception may be S.S.R who did quite a good job too)

Shivaji....

his eyes, his mannerisms, his style, his smile...

and one can fall in love with him blindly for the NTH time.

I AM NO EXCEPTION. :)

Little would ppl have known, this promising young chap would SWALLOW all else in tamizh movie industry, CREATE A NEW RULE for acting, MAKE AN INDELIBLE MARK in the mind of millions and CARVE A MAJESTIC THRONE for himself, IRREPLACEABLE BY ANYONE ELSE.

Murali Srinivas
11th May 2007, 06:38 PM
Dear SP,

Welcome to NT thread after a very long time.

I am happy that one of the senior hubbers who actively piloted the NT thread earlier (somehow stayed away afterwards) is here again.

Hope the hibernation doesn't happen again.

Regards

Shakthiprabha.
11th May 2007, 10:39 PM
murali,

You see I aint much into shivaji's political life.
When the thread started discussing that, I moved away :)

yes, Ive been staying away from tamil films thread in general, as I dont have much to contribute....

except my attachment towards old films :)

joe
12th May 2007, 01:49 AM

It is the scene ,Gunasekaran get up from sleep.

It is Tamil cinema get up from sleep.

It is the lion get up and start Garjanai.

Murali Srinivas
12th May 2007, 12:54 PM
SP,

I understand. Also aware about your intention to stay away from controversies, which NT's political episodes created in plenty.

But it is a small part and lion's share of the thread speaks about only NT movies. Your affinity towards old movies (especially NT movies) can come out more on this thread.

Regards

joe
13th May 2007, 08:12 PM
In periyar movie ,in the climax there are few real clips of Periyar IRuthi Anjali shown .In that ,NT is shown standing near Periyar's body with sorrowful face.

groucho070
14th May 2007, 10:25 AM
NT's thread below Asin Fan's Thread? Never!!!!!

In conjunction with Periyar. Joe, can you relate to us more on NT's relationship and his appreciation of Periyar? I do know that he wanted to play Periyar.

joe
14th May 2007, 11:07 AM
In conjunction with Periyar. Joe, can you relate to us more on NT's relationship and his appreciation of Periyar? I do know that he wanted to play Periyar.

Sure.

NT's initial contact with Periyar was through his contact with Anna and kalainjar .We all know Anna invited Periyar to preside over the Drama "Shivaji kanda Hindu Samrajyam" written by Anna and NT played as Shivaji .End pf the drama Periyar called Ganesan on stage and called him "Shivaji Ganesan' in appreciation ,which makes the name Shivaji fixed for V.C.Ganesan.

Then NT was invloved in DK and later DMK ..After the alegation of NT went to Thirupathi to worship Vengadachalapathi ,NT quit (Infact he was not a memmber of DMK officially,just a sympathiser) and later he joined with Kamarajar and with Kamarajar till Kamarajar's death.

Ironically ,Periyar was known as a leader of Anna and kalainjar &co ,After the formation of DMK until DMK come to power (almost 17 years) ,Periyar was against DMK campiagn and he was in full support of Perunthalaivar Kamarajar .

In each election Periyar did election campaign in support of Kamarajar and congress against DMK ,NT also in the same camp.
So kamaraj,Periyar,NT used to do campiagn together.

Even in the election in which DMK came to power ,Periyar and NT were in campaign favour of Congress .MR Radha a stunch Periyar supporter also in this campaign ..Just before the election ,MR Radha shoot MGR ..There was even a speculation that MR Radha shoot MGR for political reason in supportive of Periyar and Kamaraj (Eventhough later it is proved there was no political invlovement ,but just personal problem between MGR and Radha) ..But this was used by DMK clevery ,they put the poster of MGR taking treatment ,which increased the sympathy for DMK.

On the other hand DMK leaders always treat Periyar as their leader (They left party president seat blank for Periyar) though Periyar was campaigning against them .When they captured the TN rule ,they dedicated their rule to Periyar who opposed them.

Anyway ,All the way NT was associated with Periyar when he was with Anna and later with Kamarajar.

ajaybaskar
14th May 2007, 11:10 AM
I strongly recommend NT's Edhiroli, a movie directed by KB. It turned out to be a disaster at the BO it seems. But a very good film worth watching for NT alone.

groucho070
14th May 2007, 11:58 AM
Joe,
Thanks for tbe information. The new news for me was the fact that NT was never a member of DMK. So, his first party has always been Congress? I got to dig back the printouts I made of Murali-sar's postings.

Ajay,

You are right. Ethiroli is a great movie. There were write-ups about it in this thread, but there is always room to re-discuss some of NT's greats.

The discussion then was centred more on whether it's a KB movie or an NT. Turned out it was both.

It had KB's touch of twist and turn. Except for NT and SSR, everyone else were in a KB movie. Unfortunately (for me) Nagesh, who usually figure prominetly in the then KB movies, is here relegated to do comedic job. But the scenes were good (him pretending to have been promoted).

Only NT and SSR does not seem to be in a KB movie, thanks to their unique take on characters given.

The opening scene of Edhiroli is a tad weird. It shows a rather drab proceeding that later picks up speed recorded entirely with echo...hence Ethiroli.

The Ethiroli in this film is basically the reaction. The consequences of actions. One minor moment of weakness completely wrecks NTs life as he and his family works towards a crucial wedding.

I have written notes elsewhere for a review to be posted here. But then, I think it is a good excuse for me to watch the DVD again.

Murali Srinivas
14th May 2007, 06:45 PM
[/quote]Not sure what you are talking about Saka...you sure you are in the right thread?

Groucho,

Previously the people who came to Chennai in pursuit of acting career always used to present dialogues of VPK, Manohara or Parasakthi in front of producers/directors to exhibit their skills. Two things would come out of this.

1.Emoting ability of the canditate

2.Ability to speak good Tamil

In his post probably Saka is wondering which film dialogues are spoken by the chance seekers nowadays to impress upon the Directors/Producers.

Thinking in those lines still if somebody wants to exhibit his acting or dialogue delivery skills, people would still go for NT's dialogues.

Because here in TN, if it is a College Farewell party, still "Pasumai Niraindha Ninaivugale" is being sung. If it is a marriage, " Varayo en Thozhi Varayo", " Malai soodum Mana naal", "Happy indru mudhal Happy" are played.

When one has many issues surrounding him people talk about "Sodhanai Mel Sodhanai" and "Ponal Pogattum Poda".

If that's not enough, Paasa Malar is still the bench mark for brother sister relationship. Padikkadha Medhai is the barometer for loyal servant. Paava Mannippu is still the testimony for religious harmony. If you talk about historical characters/purana characters, you know without me telling, what people talk of.

So whatever way you look at, NT continues to be there in everybody's mind and heart and will continue to remain there.

Regards

joe
17th May 2007, 06:23 AM
Your opinion on Nadigar Thilagam :roll:
(nalla veLai avatar-a mathunen :) )

I don't believe in people being born with talents and believe that they are all acquired. But i keep changing my belief when i think of Nadigar Thilagam.

:D :boo: :redjump:

Shakthiprabha.
18th May 2007, 06:09 PM

It is the scene ,Gunasekaran get up from sleep.

It is Tamil cinema get up from sleep.

It is the lion get up and start Garjanai.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

man!! I am suposedly a person who never have any favouritism...

When I read the comment of joe, I could not control my tears of emotion...

I really am clueless how this man shivaji can have SUCH IMPACT ON ME :)

Shakthiprabha.
18th May 2007, 06:14 PM
ethiroli? kb movie right?

Ive not watched it.

I always did not understand WHY KB did not want to do much with NT.

I am dissapointed for the same.

groucho070
21st May 2007, 10:17 AM
Edhiroli is a good example, SP.

It's two different wave. The film is good, but it doesn't feel like a NT movie or a KB movie. But to us NT fans, it's definitely an NT movie.

The story is very typically NT - man with conscience to deal with. And you have a timeline to deal with it. KB's contribution is the twist and turn or events and how other characters are drawn in or thrown out.

If it is a proper KB flick - then NT will have to be a character actor. One of the guys in the movie. By then, NT's stature is too high and I think KB is too intimidated to offer him just a character role. NT could have done it as he never shunned from doiong supporting role.

Nakeeran
21st May 2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8rhexutJg

The famous court scene fm PARASAKTHI !

It doesnt look like his first movie at all . :shock: As if its his 125th or 150th . So seasoned . :D

Awesome body language !

kb
21st May 2007, 08:38 PM
i guess he was a stage actor before that movie. :D :D

Nerd
21st May 2007, 08:39 PM
Yes and the whole scene was shot in one go :shock:

parasakthi is my most favorite sivaji movie. In the first scene the brothers contemplate on who should goto India. And finally decide that sivaji should go and the emotions on his face throughout the course of that entire scene will be amazing :thumbsup:

thamiz
21st May 2007, 08:43 PM
i guess he was a stage actor before that movie. :D :D

So many were stage actors before they entered cinema. But he has done parashakthi so casullay! :)

That is one of the reasons he deserves "nadikar thilagam"! :)

thilak4life
21st May 2007, 08:43 PM

It doesnt look like his first movie at all . :shock: As if its his 125th or 150th . So seasoned . :D

Awesome body language !

The first comment there :

thamiz thiraiyulagin 'OVER ACTING' aaranbam!

Neenga daane adhu??
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P

Madavan
21st May 2007, 08:44 PM

Awesome body language !

He got himself involved in stage acting prior to his entry to cinema

Nakeeran
21st May 2007, 08:46 PM
THilak :lol:

Yaaro nammai pazi vaanga vendum endru seidha oru thittamitta sadhi ! Must be one of my good foes !

I love all movies of NT up to the early 70s.

Nakeeran
21st May 2007, 08:48 PM

Awesome body language !

He got himself involved in stage acting prior to his entry to cinema

Madavan

I think so many have come out of stage but only this man could reach the summit ! that too a highest quality performance in movie 1 itself ! thats what amazing to me.

groucho070
22nd May 2007, 03:11 PM
In an interview, Kamal said that he and Rajini grew as an actor, from one film to another.

As for NT, he said that in Parasakhti, he was READY as an actor. Such was the training and his excellence in stage performance. For those who are new and never read the earlier thread, at times actor K.R. Ramasamy was considered for this role as AVM was not sure about NT.

What a tragedy that would have been.

Murali Srinivas
23rd May 2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/gallery/sg/sg009.htm

tfm lover had posted this link in another thread. those who might not have seen the same, I am putting it here.It gives a series of still photographs of various NT movies. Check out especially Kalyaniyin Kananvan & Andha Naal.

Regards

joe
23rd May 2007, 07:49 PM
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/gallery/sg/sg009.htm

tfm lover had posted this link in another thread. those who might not have seen the same, I am putting it here.It gives a series of still photographs of various NT movies. Check out especially Kalyaniyin Kananvan & Andha Naal.

Don't miss the comments given for each photos :D

bkannan_19
23rd May 2007, 08:52 PM
Nice photos from Hindu. Never seen thanks for the link Murali Srinivas

joe
25th May 2007, 09:22 AM
http://www.thinnai.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=70705241&format=html

Murali Srinivas
26th May 2007, 01:04 PM
Yesterday night I was watching Then Kinnam in Jaya TV. The songs covered belonged to films released in 1954-55 (as they cover every calender year films on Fridays).

There were 3 songs from films of NT and they were

1.Manohara- Singara Paikiliye Pesu - AMRaja

2. Kalvanin Kadhali - Manadhil Urudhi Vendum - TMS

3. Cauvery - Anbe En Aruiyere - CSJayaraman

The beauty is though all the three duets involved three different singers, NT as his wont would move his lips and face in such a way that all thre would suit him (Body language would be in lighter vein for AMR and the same would change when TMS and CSJ sing).

When I saw the songs I was again reminded of a famous observation from a seasoned cameraman who has watched the actors of various generations said " Of all the actors that I have watched thro' my camera, the face that would look good and radiant in whatever angles you place the camera belongs to one man and he is called Nadigar Thilagam"

That is NT for you

Regards

Nakeeran
26th May 2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyJhodhw1q4&eurl=

Watch the evergreen PAATUM NAANE BHAVAMUM NAANE thru the above link !

Edhilum iyangum iyakkamum naane
en isai nindraaal adangum ulage !!

joe
26th May 2007, 08:24 PM
‘தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா’ ஷĻட்டிங் நடந்துட்டு இருந் தது. அப்போ கன்னட சினிமா புரொடியூஸர் ஒருத்தர், ரஜினிகிட்டே ரொம்ப நேரமா பேசிக் கிட்டே இருந்தார். அவர் ஏதோ சொல்ல, ரஜினி மறுத்துக்கிட்டே இருந்தாரு. ஒரு கட்டத்துல ரஜினி, ‘மகேந்திரன், இவர் என்ன சொல்றாருன்னு கேளுங் களேன்’னார்.

‘சார், ‘தெய்வ மகன்’ படத்தை கன்னடத்துலே பண்ணலாம்னு இருக்கேன். அந்த மூணு கேரக்டரையும் ரஜினிதான் பண்ணணும்னு சொல்றேன். சம்மதிக்க மாட் டேங்கிறார்’னு அவரு சொன்னதும், எனக்கு சுர்ருன்னு கோபம் வந்துடுச்சு.

‘ஏங்க, சிவாஜி சாரை விட்டா வேற எவனாலேயும் அந்த கேரக்டரைப் பண்ண முடியாது... இதுகூடவா உங்களுக்குத் தெரியலை?’னு ஆவேசமா கேட்டுட்டேன்.

உடனே, ‘நீங்க இப்படித்தான் பதில் சொல்லணும்னு எதிர்பார்த்தேன் மகேந்திரன். நீங்க சொன்னது ரொம்பச் சரி’னு பாராட்டினார்.

--------------------

ஒருநாள் ராத்திரி என் வீட்ல உட்காந்து நானும் ரஜினியும் சினிமாவைப்பத்தி பேசிக்கிட்டிருந்தோம். ‘அடுத்து எது மாதிரி கேரக்டர் பண்ணினா நல்லா இருக்கும்?’னார் ரஜினி. ‘உயர்ந்த மனிதன்’ படத்துல சிவாஜி செய்த கேரக்டர் நல்லாயிருக்கும்’னேன். ‘அப்படியா? நான் இப்பவே உயர்ந்த மனிதன் படத்தை பார்க்கணும்’னார். அப்ப சி.டி., வீடியோ கேசட் எல்லாம் கிடையாது. தியேட்டருக்குக் கிளம்பினோம். லதாவும், என் மனைவியும் எங்ககூடப் புறப்பட்டாங்க. நாலு பேரும் பாரகன் தியேட்டர்ல செகண்ட் ஷோ பார்த்தோம்.படத்தை ஆர்வத்தோடு பார்த்து முடித்த ரஜினி, தியேட்டரில் இருந்து வெளியே வரும்போது, ‘சிவாஜி ஒரு பிறவி நடிகர். அவர் மாதிரியெல்லாம் நடிக்கிறேன்னு சொல்லி என்னால ரிஸ்க் எடுக்க முடியாது. சிவாஜி படங்களை பார்த்து ரசிக்கும் கோடிக்கணக்கான ரசிகர்களில் ஒருவனாக மட்டும் நான் இருக்கவே விரும்புகிறேன். அவரது புகழுக்கும் திறமைக்கும் களங்கம் விளைவிக்க மாட்டேன்...’ என்று சொன்னார். கடைசி வரையில் சிவாஜியை ஒப்பிடமுடியாத ஒப்பற்ற கலைஞராகவே போற்றி வருகிறார் ரஜினி.

-ஒய்.ஜி.மகேந்திரன் (ரஜினி பற்றிய ஜீனியர் விகடன் தொடரில்)[tscii:1fb9f2ecb7][/tscii:1fb9f2ecb7]

Shakthiprabha.
26th May 2007, 10:43 PM
athu thaan SHIVAJI :clap:

murali,

I did watch then kinnam too.

I wanted to infact post my query here.

'Cauvery' movie was quite new for me. Ive not heard the song too. Yet it lingers in my mind as it resembles a tune in the song "navrathri"
(the drama song)

So, getting back to cauvery, w hats the movie about? whats the story?

Shakthiprabha.
26th May 2007, 10:49 PM
THilak :lol:

Yaaro nammai pazi vaanga vendum endru seidha oru thittamitta sadhi ! Must be one of my good foes !

I love all movies of NT up to the early 70s.

Nakeeran,

I saw the youtube and then thought the first comment is BY YOU (inakeeran :D ) :(

sivank
26th May 2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.thinnai.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=70705241&format=html

Very good one joe :D

sivank
26th May 2007, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyJhodhw1q4&eurl=

Watch the evergreen PAATUM NAANE BHAVAMUM NAANE thru the above link !

Edhilum iyangum iyakkamum naane
en isai nindraaal adangum ulage !!

Thank you Nakkeran, very nice

groucho070
28th May 2007, 09:46 AM
Well, Joe. Rajini is 'guilty' of doing many NT type roles. His Padikathavan, Dharma Dhurai, Annamalai are typical NT roles. But I think Rajini justified for these times. He did well and did not smear the memory of those great characters NT did.

I like to tell you how I met YGM.

I was invited to cover en embassy (India) event. So, there I was. And I saw this familiar face. It looked like YGM. But you know, sometimes it could be others...I have not seen YGM on screen for a long time and I don't know how he looks like now, or in real life.

But I was still curious. It was dinner time, buffet style. So, I made moves (this usually apply to girls, but first time doing it for a guy), walking near by, sampling food, keeping close distance.

Then....something confirmed to me that this is indeed YGM. He was wearing a chain with a locket (also called dollar, is it?) that has....NT's picture.

I introduced myself and we talked for a while. Then, I told him that I knew it was YGM when I saw NT's pix. And he replied, "Of course, avar namma poola kalaingar-galukku theivam."

That's NT for you.

Murali Srinivas
28th May 2007, 11:21 AM
SP,

Cauvery was a film which would come in the first 20 movies of NT and I remember seeing it once in 70's during my school days. I don't have much of a recollect.

Faintly remember NT being a prince who goes out of his kingdom in search of something. Not sure. Other than Nattiya Peroli, it also had Lalitha/Ragini, I think.

Groucho,

Your mentioning of YGM had made me write this. Some 4 months back, I had met YGM, again courtesy Mohanram Sir and we had a chat of course on NT. He was narrating many incidents and his engagements with NT especially during NT's last days. It seems that NT was so attached to him that even for a day or two if YGM doesn't turn up at Annai Illam, YGM would recieve a call from Ramkumar's wife " Appa ungalai Vara Sonnar" .

When YGM built a new house he named it as " Sivaji Illam" and NT was no more at that time. Ramkumar and his wife had come and presented the chain with the NT dollar and Ram had said on that occasion that this is a present given as per the Divine wish of NT to the eldest son of Annai Illam.

After saying this, YGM showed the dollar to me and said that he had not worn anything of his late father(YGP) but this NT dollar would adorn his neck till his last. Sort of senti we all in that place became.

He had invited me for more discussions(on NT) to his home but I so far could not make it.

Regards

Nakeeran
29th May 2007, 06:52 PM
http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/kannorupakkam.wmv

Link is for a beautiful song from Niraikudam.

Its the famous NT-Vanishri pair , ranked as one of the best in tamil cinema.

Music by V.Kumar !

abkhlabhi
31st May 2007, 04:20 PM
Dear ALL NT fans,

After a long time, I am writing this one. Due to some reasons or other, I could not write. But I used to read this forum everyday.

From Monday, this week, Pothigai Channel (DD-Tamil) telecasting Parasakthi movie every day 1/2 an hour from 9 to 9.30 P.M. and also giving detailed description about Sivaji, how he got the break through, about the film, etc. Very nice to see Young NT.

Raghu
31st May 2007, 09:24 PM
Digression

can some one pls tell me which movie this song featured in

' Veedu varai manaivi kaadu varai pillai, kadaisivari yarro', it had Ashokan singing this song in the film, while TMS was singing the song for ashokan

joe
31st May 2007, 09:42 PM
Raghu,
It is 'Paatha Kaanikkai' ,not a NT movie

Shakthiprabha.
31st May 2007, 09:59 PM
murali, thanks :)

song seemed very interesting.

NAKEERAN,

link does not work :? I always loved
VANISHREE- SHIVAJI pair.

Something clicked bet them onscreen :)

RC
1st June 2007, 12:40 AM
I have watched Cauvery as a small boy in Bodinayakkanur - Rukmani theatre, if I'm right!
enakkum sariyaa gnabagam illai. All I remember is...
Sivaji ( a king/prince) will lose his mental balance and the events that follow. I think he'll dance barathanatyam too in that movie.

thamiz
1st June 2007, 12:55 AM
ungka post-la irunthu kaaveeri paRri ethuvum theriyalai. "namakku" sontha Ur "pOdi-thEni-kambam" area-nu theriyuthu! :D

thamiz
1st June 2007, 12:57 AM
‘தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா’ ஷĻட்டிங் நடந்துட்டு இருந் தது. அப்போ கன்னட சினிமா புரொடியூஸர் ஒருத்தர், ரஜினிகிட்டே ரொம்ப நேரமா பேசிக் கிட்டே இருந்தார். அவர் ஏதோ சொல்ல, ரஜினி மறுத்துக்கிட்டே இருந்தாரு. ஒரு கட்டத்துல ரஜினி, ‘மகேந்திரன், இவர் என்ன சொல்றாருன்னு கேளுங் களேன்’னார்.

‘சார், ‘தெய்வ மகன்’ படத்தை கன்னடத்துலே பண்ணலாம்னு இருக்கேன். அந்த மூணு கேரக்டரையும் ரஜினிதான் பண்ணணும்னு சொல்றேன். சம்மதிக்க மாட் டேங்கிறார்’னு அவரு சொன்னதும், எனக்கு சுர்ருன்னு கோபம் வந்துடுச்சு.

‘ஏங்க, சிவாஜி சாரை விட்டா வேற எவனாலேயும் அந்த கேரக்டரைப் பண்ண முடியாது... இதுகூடவா உங்களுக்குத் தெரியலை?’னு ஆவேசமா கேட்டுட்டேன்.

உடனே, ‘நீங்க இப்படித்தான் பதில் சொல்லணும்னு எதிர்பார்த்தேன் மகேந்திரன். நீங்க சொன்னது ரொம்பச் சரி’னு பாராட்டினார்.

--------------------

ஒருநாள் ராத்திரி என் வீட்ல உட்காந்து நானும் ரஜினியும் சினிமாவைப்பத்தி பேசிக்கிட்டிருந்தோம். ‘அடுத்து எது மாதிரி கேரக்டர் பண்ணினா நல்லா இருக்கும்?’னார் ரஜினி. ‘உயர்ந்த மனிதன்’ படத்துல சிவாஜி செய்த கேரக்டர் நல்லாயிருக்கும்’னேன். ‘அப்படியா? நான் இப்பவே உயர்ந்த மனிதன் படத்தை பார்க்கணும்’னார். அப்ப சி.டி., வீடியோ கேசட் எல்லாம் கிடையாது. தியேட்டருக்குக் கிளம்பினோம். லதாவும், என் மனைவியும் எங்ககூடப் புறப்பட்டாங்க. நாலு பேரும் பாரகன் தியேட்டர்ல செகண்ட் ஷோ பார்த்தோம்.படத்தை ஆர்வத்தோடு பார்த்து முடித்த ரஜினி, தியேட்டரில் இருந்து வெளியே வரும்போது, ‘சிவாஜி ஒரு பிறவி நடிகர். அவர் மாதிரியெல்லாம் நடிக்கிறேன்னு சொல்லி என்னால ரிஸ்க் எடுக்க முடியாது. சிவாஜி படங்களை பார்த்து ரசிக்கும் கோடிக்கணக்கான ரசிகர்களில் ஒருவனாக மட்டும் நான் இருக்கவே விரும்புகிறேன். அவரது புகழுக்கும் திறமைக்கும் களங்கம் விளைவிக்க மாட்டேன்...’ என்று சொன்னார். கடைசி வரையில் சிவாஜியை ஒப்பிடமுடியாத ஒப்பற்ற கலைஞராகவே போற்றி வருகிறார் ரஜினி.

-ஒய்.ஜி.மகேந்திரன் (ரஜினி பற்றிய ஜீனியர் விகடன் தொடரில்)[tscii:eefc80f407][/tscii:eefc80f407]

Rajni is too humble at times.

I dont know whether he could do dhivamagan three roles well but one must admit, he did do a decent job in 3-mugam! :) Even Shivaji appreciated his role as AP! :)

RC
1st June 2007, 01:01 AM
thamizh: "namakku" sontha Ur "pOdi-thEni-kambam" area-laam illeengamma... :)

thamiz
1st June 2007, 01:25 AM

Murali Srinivas
1st June 2007, 06:37 PM
Welcome back abkhlabhi.

SP,

I too have the same opinion like yours on NT - Vanishree pair and in fact I have posted the same in NT thread Part I saying this is the second best pair of NT after Devika, which resulted in people coming out in support of Padmini, Saroja Devi, Sowcar etc.

Groucho,

Yesterday night I had been watching Thenkinnam in Jaya TV (which I do on all week days) and I was very much reminded of you. Reason was there were 5-6 NT songs and most of them were your favourites.It started with

1. Nallavan enakku Nane - Padithal Mattum Pothuma.

A cool and enthusiastic NT with a calm Balajee

2. Nalla Kariyam Seekiram Nadakannum - Ponnunjal

I remember you writing about this movie in this thread.

3.The evergreen and irresistable S.P.Chowdhry and his wife singing

Nallathoru Kudumbam

Do I need to say anything on this?

4. Nalvazhthu Naan Solluven - Pattikada Pattanama

Again I remember your post and you mentioning this song and lines

Yaaridam Kurai Illai;
Yaridam Thavaru Illai;
Vazhvathu Oru Murai
Vazhthatum Thalaimurai

5. Nallavar Kuralukku Madhiprikkum - Dr.Siva

The last saranam dedicated to Perunthalaivar (song written and recored when PT was alive but when it hit the screen on Nov 2nd of 1975, PT had already passed away a month earlier) was the highlight of this song.

6. Nalla Idam Nee Vandha Idam - Galatta Kalyanam

The first scene of the movie literally welcoming JJ to NT camp. NT in half sleeves and tie would be so handsome even though he was entering into the Forties.

Groucho, hope you had a hick- up last night.

Regards

Shakthiprabha.
1st June 2007, 07:31 PM
Murali,

I watched those songs too :)

Thangapathakkam song "nallthoru kudumbam" :thumbsup: It was a treat to watch him.

I dont like shivaji and devika.

I would rate ONLY 3 pairs... ofcourse I always liked vanishree shivaji pair better than the others

SHIVAJI-VANISHREE (best)
Shivaji-Padmini (when young)
Shivaji-Jayalalitha

Hey Ram
1st June 2007, 07:41 PM
Murali,

I watched those songs too :)

Thangapathakkam song "nallthoru kudumbam" :thumbsup: It was a treat to watch him.

I dont like shivaji and devika.

I would rate ONLY 3 pairs... ofcourse I always liked vanishree shivaji pair better than the others

SHIVAJI-VANISHREE (best)
Shivaji-Jayalalitha

SIVAJI-SAAVITHIRI == Nadigar & Nadigaiyar thilagams :notworthy:

P_R
2nd June 2007, 10:32 AM

SHIVAJI-VANISHREE (best)
Shivaji-Jayalalitha
:roll:
I have never liked Vanishree much. IMO she had a very limited repertoire. That was true of even Saroja dEvi but somehow I found her movies more enjoyable. Though Vasantha Maaligai is perhaps SivAji's greatest romantic films, atleast part of my reaction was 'pOyum pOyum vAnishreekkAgavA idhellAm ?" :-)

Perhaps you can recommend some films which I may have missed, where her performance is commendable.

Jayalalitha spent most of her career screen time huffing haughtily in the first half and smiling coyly in the second. But some of her best roles are in movies where she nearly stole the show from Sivaji - like Sumathi en Sundari and EngirindhO vandhAL.

But the pair with the best looking combination and best matching talents is SivAji-Padmini. Forget the famous ones like TM, even in a relatively low key film like Kuzhandhaiyum Deivamum - they make a fantastic pair. As the movie proceeds, Sivaji slowly moves into background and the movie moves forward with Padmini's performance.

When Sivaji comes home after losing the child, he will be squirming when facing Padmini. Though , we the audience, should actually feel outraged by his carelessness - we will actually feel apprehensive. Such is the strength of the performance of this lead pair. :clap:

m_23_bayarea
2nd June 2007, 10:46 AM
My favorite pairs with Sivaji...

1. Sivaji - Jayalalitha

2. Sivaji - Vaanisree

3. Sivaji - Kaanchana

4. Sivaji - Padmini

5. Sivaji - KR Vijaya

Not as much with Saroja Devi though! :oops:

shobana_in
2nd June 2007, 02:00 PM

1. Sivaji - Jayalalitha

2. Sivaji - Vaanisree

3. Sivaji - Kaanchana

4. Sivaji - Padmini

5. Sivaji - KR Vijaya

shivaji padmini is good...shivaji devika is a nice combo

shivaji jeyalalitha is irritating.....deiva magan :banghead:

shivaji savithiri combo :clap:

Nakeeran
2nd June 2007, 02:05 PM
[

shivaji jeyalalitha is irritating.....deiva magan :banghead:

he he. For that JJ is not the reason :lol:

better watch movies like Engirundho vandhaal or Savaale samaalee , or Paatum barathamum where she was the champion performer

Murali Srinivas
2nd June 2007, 02:06 PM
SP,

I know your affinity towards S.P.Chowdhry and I still remember that my 3rd or 4 th post in this thread was the dialogue for the scene after interval (Oru Naal Saapidalene-a uyira poidum) which you had wanted and your emotional thanks to me.

But SP there are many Devika fans here (like Groucho and tacinema) who would feel bad about your comment on NT- Devika pair (just kidding)

Prabhuram,

I understand your view point as liking happens to be a matter of subjectivity. Probably you meant Pesum Deivam but you wrote Kuzhandhaiyum Deivamum (Jai - Jamuna - K.Padmini).

Bayarea,

NT- Kanchana was again one nice pair which many NT fans were fond of. Thanks for reminding

Regards

Shakthiprabha.
2nd June 2007, 04:50 PM
Shivaji kanchana? Name some movies :oops:

MURALI, yes

"oru naal sappidalainna uyira poidum" Even remembering that dialogue, brings me tears. ABS MASTER PERFORMANCE there :clap: :clap: :clap:

yes I also liked Shivaji-Jamuna pair... NOT BAD...

Shakthiprabha.
2nd June 2007, 04:51 PM
PR,

Vanishree is one lady I found to be TOO PICTORICALLY perfect / beautiful! GOD was CLOSE to perfection while making her features . Her smile is too hard to leave unnoticed :)

Infact I always feel in PS of kalki, VANISHREE would suit the role of KUNDAVAI :thumbsup:

Talking of PS, do u think SHIVAJI would have suited any historic role in PS?

tacinema
2nd June 2007, 09:46 PM
Interesting topic on NT's favorite heroines. Though almost all these posts focus on heroines from Savithri to KRVijaya, during 50s, NT acted with heroines:

1. Pandari Bai (honored to be his 1st heroine on screen)
2. Anjali Devi
3. Vyjayanthi Mala

I believe that NT-Pandari bai pair was cute, especially in Parasakthi and Andha naal. I do feel PB was a good match with senior NT in Gauravam.

How about NT-Vyjayanthi Mala pair? Fans must have liked this pair, considering vyjayanthi mala was one of the most beautiful actresses. IrumbuThirai was one movie that they paired; any other movies with NT-VM combination?

How about NT-Sowkar pair? especially when NT appears in "old age" roles, such as Paar Magale paar. Sowkar's glamour role (in those days standards) in Pudhiya Paravai with youthful NT was also good.

NT-Sujata pair, in later part, was also good and welcomed by NT fans. Her chemistry with NT, especially in Andhaman Kadhali, was good.

NT-KRVijaya pair should deserve special discussion. This is evident in Ooty varai uravu, a slim KRV with dashing NT - a treat to watch - remember Poo Malaiyil song!! In addition, next to NT-Padmini, this should be the most successful pair in terms of number of movies and success of the movie.

Having said this, IMO, I would still rate NT-Devika was the most spark filled, though NT-Padmini was unbeatable.

Murali: How about NT-Usha Nandini pair? Did NT fans like them? They were good in Ennai Pol oruvan. For some reasons, my uncle was a big fan of this "jodi".

m_23_bayarea
2nd June 2007, 09:52 PM

1. Sivaji - Jayalalitha

2. Sivaji - Vaanisree

3. Sivaji - Kaanchana

4. Sivaji - Padmini

5. Sivaji - KR Vijaya

shivaji padmini is good...shivaji devika is a nice combo

Yeah, Sivaji - Devika was good too!

Sivaji - Jamuna, Did they act in more than one movie (except that Paavaadai Thaavaniyil song)! :P

SP, the only movie that comes to my mind at once for Sivaji - Kaanchana is SIVANTHA MANN! :D

rajeshkrv
3rd June 2007, 02:07 AM
bayarea, NT-jamuna acted in Thangamalai rahasiyam

NT-Vaijayanthi mala acted in Chitoor rani padmini as well

joe
4th June 2007, 10:45 AM
நானும் சிவாஜியும் -கலைஞர்

''நான் பிறந்த வீடும் புகுந்த வீடும் ஒன்று சேர்ந்தது கண்டு என் உள்ளம் மகிழ்ச்சியால் பொங்குகிறது''. இப்படிச் சொன்னவர் நடிகர் திலகம் சிவாஜிகணேசன். சொன்ன இடம் சென்னைக் கடற்கரைக் கூட்டம். சொன்ன ஆண்டு 1979 அண்ணா பிறந்தநாள் விழாவுக்கு. ஆம். தி.மு.கழகத்தின் சார்பில் கொண்டாடப்பட்ட விழாவுக்கு திருமதி இந்திரா காந்தி வந்திருந்தார்.

திடீரென்று 1979 ஆம் ஆண்டுக்கு வந்துவிட்டேனேயென்று யாரும் வியப்படையத் தேவையில்லை. இப்போது நான் 1950 ஆம் ஆண்டுக்கு முன்பிருந்தே சில நிகழ்ச்சிகளை நிழலாட விடப் போகிறேன். சிவாஜி அப்படிச் சொன்னதை திருமதி இந்திரா காந்தி அவர்களுக்கு மொழிபெயர்த்துச் சொல்லப்பட்டது. அப்போதுதான் அந்த அம்மையாருக்கு நடிகர் திலகம் சிவாஜி கணேசன் திராவிடர் கழகக் காலந்தொட்டு இந்த இயக்கத்திலே இருந்து வளர்ந்தவர் என்ற தகவலே தெரியும்!

பிறந்த வீடான திராவிடர் இயக்கமும், புகுந்த வீடான காங்கிரஸ் கட்சியும் தேர்தல் உறவு கொண்டதைத்தான் சிவாஜி அப்படி சுவைபடச் சொன்னார் என்பதுணர்ந்த லட்சோப லட்சம் மக்கள் அடங்கிய அந்தக் கூட்டம் ஆரவாரம் செய்து கையொலி முழங்கியது.

திராவிட முன்னேற்றக் கழகம் 1949 இல் தொடங்கப்படுவதற்கு முன்பே திராவிடர் கழகத்தில் ஈடுபாடு கொண்டவர் சிவாஜி! மராட்டிய மாவீரன் சிவாஜி ஒரு மாபெரும் ராஜ்யத்தைத் தனது வாள் முனையால் உருவாக்கினான் என்றாலும்கூட மன்னனாக மகுடம் புனைய அவனது குலம் இடம் தரவில்லையென்று பழமைவாதிகளும் அவர்கட்குப் பாதுகாவலரான காக பட்டரும் தடுத்துரைத்து நின்ற வரலாற்றை அண்ணா அவர்கள் ''சிவாஜி கண்ட இந்து ராஜ்யம் அல்லது சந்திர மோகன்'' என்ற ஒப்பற்ற நாடகமாகத் தீட்டியிருந்தார்.

அந்த நாடகத்தில் அண்ணா அவர்களே காகபட்டவர் வேடம் தாங்கி நடித்தார். காவியுடை, கமண்டலம் இவற்றுடன் அண்ணா காகபட்டராகத் தோன்றிப் பேசியதையும், நடித்ததையும் பாராட்டிப் புகழாத நடிகர்களே இல்லை! அந்த நாடகத்தில் சிவாஜியாக ''எம்.ஜி. ராம்சந்தர்'' நடிப்பார் என்று அண்ணாவின் ''திராவிட நாடு'' பத்திரிகையில் விளம்பரங்கள் தொடர்ந்து வந்துகொண்டிருந்தன.

அப்போது நண்பர் எம்.ஜி. ராமச்சந்திரன் அவர்கள் ''ராம்சந்தர்'' என்ற பெயரில்தான் திரைப்படங்களில் நடித்துக்கொண்டிருந்தார். ஆனால் திடீரென அவர் அண்ணாவின் நாடகத்தில் நடிக்க இயலாது எனத் தெரிவித்துவிட்டார். அதில் நடிப்பதால் அவரது கலைத்துறை முன்னேற்றத்திற்குத் தடை ஏற்படுமெனச் சிலர் அவரை அச்சுறுத்தி விட்டார்கள். அதனால் அவர் நடிகமணி டி.வி. நாராயணசாமி அவர்களின் மூலமாக தனது முடிவை அண்ணாவுக்குத் தெரிவித்துவிட்டார்.

அண்ணா எழுதிய நாடக உரையாடல்களைப் பல இடங்களில் மாற்றி அமைக்க வேண்டுமென்று டி.வி.என். அவர்களிடம் எம்.ஜி.ஆர். தெரிவித்ததாகவும், அதைக் கேட்டு அண்ணா வியப்படைந்ததாகவும், எம்.ஜி.ஆர். இஷ்டத்துக்கு வசனங்களை மாற்ற அண்ணா ஒப்புக் கொள்ளாததைக் காரணம் காட்டி எம்.ஜி.ஆர். அந்த நாடகத்தில் நடிக்க மறுத்துவிட்டதாகவும் டி.வி.என். அவர்களே பல கூட்டங்களில் பேசியிருக்கிறார்.

நாடக மேடையில் புகழ் பெற்று விளங்கியவரும், திராவிடர் கழக ஈடுபாடுடையவருமான நண்பர் வி.சி. கணேசனை 'சிவாஜி' வேடம் தாங்குமாறு அண்ணா அழைத்தார். அண்ணாவின் அழைப்பையேற்று சிவாஜி வேடத்தில், கணேசன் நடித்தார். அந்த நாடகத்திற்குத் தலைமை தாங்கிய பெரியார் அவர்கள் வி.சி. கணேசனை சிவாஜி கணேசன் என்று அன்பொழுக அழைத்துத் தட்டிக் கொடுத்தார். அன்று முதல் வி.சி. கணேசன் 'சிவாஜி கணேசன்' ஆனார்.

'சிவாஜி கண்ட இந்து ராஜ்யம்' என்ற அந்தப் புரட்சிகரமான வரலாற்று நாடகம் தமிழகத்தில் பல இடங்களில் நடைபெற்றது. திராவிடர் கழகத்திலிருந்து பிரிந்து 1949 ஆம் ஆண்டு திராவிட முன்னேற்றக் கழகத்தைக் கண்ட அண்ணா அவர்களின் கலைத்துறை அணியில் சிவாஜியும் வீறுநடை போட்டார்.

கலைவாணர் என்.எஸ்.கே. அவர்கள், திராவிட முன்னேற்றக் கழக மாநாடுகள் அனைத்திலும் தனது வில்லுப்பாட்டு நிகழ்ச்சியைத் தொடக்க நிகழ்ச்சியாகக் கொண்டு கழகக் கொள்கை பரப்பிடும் பணிபுரிந்தார். நடிப்பிசைப் புலவர் கே.ஆர். இராமசாமி அவர்கள், நடிகர் திலகம் சிவாஜி, இலட்சிய நடிகர் இராசேந்திரன், நடிகமணி டி.வி. நாராயணசாமி ஆகியோர் திராவிடர் கழகத்திலும் பின்னர் தி.மு.கழகத்திலும் கொள்கை பரப்பும் கலை முரசுகளாகத் திகழ்ந்தார்கள்.

1953-ஆம் ஆண்டுத் தொடக்கத்தில்தான் நண்பர் எம்.ஜி.ஆர். அவர்கள் திராவிட முன்னேற்றக் கழகத்தில் தன்னை இணைத்துக் கொண்டார்.

1952-ஆம் ஆண்டு தஞ்சை மாவட்டத்தில் வீசிய புயலால் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட மக்களுக்கு கழகத்தின் சார்பில் நிதி திரட்டி அந்தப் பணத்தைக் கொண்டு கைத்தறி வேட்டி, சேலைகள் வாங்கி ஏழை, எளியோர்க்கு வழங்குவதெனவும், இருபத்து ஐயாயிரம் ரூபாய் நிதி திரட்டுவதென்றும் அந்தப் பணிக்கு என்னைத் தலைவனாக இருக்குமாறும் கழகம் தீர்மானம் நிறைவேற்றியது.

நிதி திரட்டும் முயற்சிக்குப் பல இடங்களில் நான் எழுதிய 'தூக்கு மேடை' நாடகம் நடத்தப்பட்டது. அந்த நாடகத்தில் பாண்டியன் என்னும் பள்ளி மாணவன் வேடத்தில் நானும், அபிநயசுந்தரர் என்னும் வேடத்தில் சிவாஜியும், பரமார்த்திகர் வேடத்தில் நண்பர் சி.வி.எம். அண்ணாமலையும் மற்றும் கழக முன்னணியினரும் நடித்தோம். மகாலிங்கம் என்ற இளைஞர் (திருமலை-மகாலிங்கம் எனப்படும் இயக்குநர்களில் ஒருவர்) நடிப்பாற்றல் மிக்கவர். அவர்தான் கதாநாயகி வேடத்தில் நடித்தார். ஆடவர்கள் 'ஸ்த்ரீ பார்ட்' போட்டு நடிக்கும் கால கட்டம் 1952 வரையிலே கூட நீடித்தது எனலாம்!

பழங்கால நாடக உலகில் எஸ்.ஜி. கிட்டப்பா வள்ளியாகவும், கே.பி. சுந்தராம்பாள் வேலன், வேடன், விருத்தனாகவும் நடித்ததாகவும் நிகழ்ச்சிகள் உண்டு! சக்தி நாடக சபை என்ற பெயரால் சக்தி, கிருஷ்ணசாமி அவர்கள் நடத்திய நிறுவனத்தில் வி.சி. கணேசன், 'நூர்ஜஹான்' வேடம் தாங்கிச் சபையோரை மயக்கத்தில் ஆழ்த்துவாராம்.

அழகுக் கிளி நூர்ஜஹானாகவும் நடிக்கத் தெரியும் - ஆத்திகப் புலி அபிநயசுந்தரக் கிழவனாராகவும் நடிக்கத் தெரியுமென அறைகூவல் விடுத்த அந்த நடிகர் திலகம், கழக நிதிக்காக நடைபெற்ற எந்தவொரு நாடகத்திற்கும் தனக்கென ஊதியம் எதுவும் பெற்றதுமில்லை, கேட்டதுமில்லை. நான் கொடுத்ததுமில்லை.

கோயில்பட்டி வள்ளிமுத்து என்பவர் நெல்லை மாவட்டத்தில் சங்கரன் கோயிலில் எங்களின் நாடகத்தை நடத்தி நிதியளிப்பதாகக் கூறி, வசூலான நாலாயிர ரூபாய் பணத்துடன் காணமலே போய்விட்டார். நான், சிவாஜி, சி.வி.எம். அண்ணாமலை, அரங்கண்ணல், காஞ்சி சம்பந்தன், காஞ்சி கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி, எம்.என். கிருஷ்ணன், நம்பிராஜன், டி.என். கிருஷ்ணன், மற்றும் நாடகத்தில் பங்கேற்ற கழகத்தினர் பட்டினி கிடந்தது மாத்திரமல்ல, ரயிலில் திரும்பி வருவதற்கு வழிச் செலவு பணமும் இல்லாமல் திண்டாடித் தெருவில் நின்றோம்.

எங்கள் நிலையைக் கண்ட தூத்துக்குடி கே.வி.கே. சாமியும் தங்கப்பழமும் எங்களின் வழிச் செலவுக்காக தூத்துக்குடியில் அவசரமாக ஒரே நாள் விளம்பரத்தில் ஒரு நாடகத்தை நடத்தி அதில் கிடைத்த மிச்சப் பணத்தில் என்னையும் சிவாஜியையும் மற்றவர்களையும் வழி அனுப்பி வைத்தார்கள்.

அப்போதுதான், 'பராசக்தி' படத்தில் நடிக்க சிவாஜிக்கு வாய்ப்பு கிடைத்தது. பகுத்தறிவு இயக்கத்தில் ஈடுபாடு கொண்ட நேஷனல் பிக்சர்ஸ் பெருமாள் அவர்கள் 'பராசக்தி' திரைக்கதை வசனம் எழுதும் பொறுப்பை நான் ஏற்கவேண்டுமென்று வலியுறுத்தினார். இயக்குநர்கள் கிருஷ்ணன்-பஞ்சு இருவரும் ஒருவராக இருந்து என்னிடம் அன்பு காட்டுகிறவர்கள். அவர்களும் என்னை வலியுறுத்தினர். முதலில் நடிப்பிசைப் புலவர் கே.ஆர். ராமசாமிதான் நடிப்பதாக இருந்தது. அவருக்கு வேறு படங்கள் இருந்த காரணத்தால் 'பராசக்தி'யில் 'குணசேகரன்' வேடத்தில் நடிக்க சிவாஜியை ஒப்பந்தம் செய்தார்கள்.

அந்தப் படம் ஏ.வி.எம். - நேஷனல் பிக்சர்ஸ் கூட்டுத் தயாரிப்பு! சிவாஜி இரண்டொரு காட்சிகளில் நடித்ததைப் போட்டுப் பார்த்துவிட்டு, ஏ.வி. மெய்யப்ப செட்டியார் அதிருப்தி தெரிவித்து நடிகரை மாற்ற வேண்டுமென்று கண்டிப்பாக சொல்லிவிட்டார். நேஷனல் பெருமாள் அவர்களும் நானும், இயக்குநர்கள் கிருஷ்ணன் பஞ்சுவும் - ஏ.வி. மெய்யப்ப செட்டியார் கருத்தை ஏற்கவில்லை. ''ஒரு அற்புதமான நடிகரை அவசரப்பட்டு இழந்து விடக் கூடாது!'' என்று திட்டவட்டமாகக் கூறினோம்!

தொடர்ந்து 'பராசக்தி' படப்பிடிப்பு நடந்தது! எனக்கும் சிவாஜிக்கும் இருந்த நட்பு, யாராலும் விலக்க முடியாத பாசமாக உருவெடுத்தது! அந்தப் பாசம் எப்படிப்பட்டது என்பதை 1963-ஆம் ஆண்டு என் தாய் அஞ்சுகம் அம்மையார் மறைந்தபோது வெளியிடப்பட்ட ஒரு மலரில் சிவாஜியே வெளிப்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார்.

''சிறு வயது முதல் எங்களுக்குள் நெருக்கமான பழக்கம் உண்டு. இதற்கு எத்தனையோ காரணம். கலையோ, அன்போ, கொள்கையோ, குணமோ, எதுவோ எங்களை உயிராக இணைத்து வைத்திருந்தது. நாளடைவில் அது வளர்ந்து வலுப்பெற்றது! அவர்! அது யார்? வாய் நிறைய 'மூனா கானா' - நான் இனிமையோடு அழைக்கும் அவர்தான்.

அந்தக் காலங்களில் இந்த இரண்டு பிள்ளைகளுக்கும் அஞ்சுகம் அம்மையார் அநேக நாட்கள் ஒன்றாகவே உணவு படைப்பது உண்டு. அப்போதெல்லாம் அவர்கள் பரிமாறுவதில் கொஞ்சம் பாரபட்சமாக நடந்து கொண்டதை நான் கவனிப்பதும் உண்டு. நல்ல பண்டங்களை ஒருவருக்கு அதிகமாகவும் ஒருவருக்குக் குறைவாகவும் போடுவார்கள்.

''இப்படிச் செய்யலாமா? இது நீதியா?'' என்று நான் கேட்பேன்.

''நீ செல்லப்பிள்ளை - உனக்கு அதிகம்தான்'' என்பார்கள் அந்தத் தாய்.

அந்தச் செல்லத்தை மறந்துவிட்டுப் போய்விட்டார்கள். நான் என்றும் அந்த அன்புச் செல்லத்தை மறக்க முடியாது. எனக்கு அஞ்சுகம் அம்மையாரும் ஒரு தாய்!''

இது அந்த மலரில் சிவாஜி எழுதிய கட்டுரையில் ஒரு பகுதி. படப்பிடிப்பு வேலைகளில் சிவாஜி ஈடுபட்டதால் சில நேரங்களில் அண்ணா எழுதிய 'சந்திரமோகன்' நாடகத்தில் சிவாஜி வேடத்தை நண்பர் ஈ.வே.கி. சம்பத் அவர்கள் ஏற்று நடித்தார்.

அதில் சிவாஜிக்கு வருத்தமில்லையென்றாலும் கணேசனைப் போல சம்பத்தால் நடிக்க முடியவில்லையென்று பலரும் விமரிசனம் செய்த காரணத்தால் ஏதோ ஒரு இனம் தெரியாத வெறுப்பு சிவாஜி கணேசன் மீது சம்பத்துக்கு ஏற்பட்டது. அதன் காரணமாக சிவாஜியைக் குறித்து அண்ணாவிடம் சமயம் நேரும்போதெல்லாம் கலக விதை ஊன்றப்பட்டது.

ஒருமுறை 'சந்திரமோகன்' நாடகம் சென்னையில் தியாகராய கல்லூரி கலை அரங்கில் நடைபெறுவதாக இருந்தது. நீண்ட இடைவெளிக்குப் பிறகு சிவாஜி கணேசன் அண்ணாவுடன் அந்த நாடகத்தில் நடிப்பதாக ஏற்பாடாயிற்று!

சிவாஜி வேடத்திற்கான வசனங்கள் அடங்கிய பாடப் புத்தகம் கணேசன் அவர்களுக்கு அனுப்பப்பட்டிருந்தது. நாடகம் நடக்க இரண்டு மூன்று நாட்கள் இருந்தபோது ஒரு நாள் அண்ணா, நான், சம்பத், சிவாஜி கணேசன் ஆகியோர் சென்னையில் 'சைனீஸ் ரெஸ்டாரண்ட்' டுக்குச் சென்று மதிய உணவு சாப்பிட்டோம். சாப்பிட்டுக் கொண்டிருக்கும்போது, சிவாஜி அண்ணாவைப் பார்த்து, ''அண்ணா! இப்போதெல்லாம் வயது ஆக ஆக நாடக வசனங்களை மனப்பாடம் செய்வது ரொம்பக் கஷ்டமாக இருக்கிறது! சிவாஜி பாத்திர வசனங்களை இரவு பகலாக உருப்போடுகிறேன்!'' என்று கூறினார்.

அண்ணாவும் ஏதோ வேடிக்கையாகச் சொன்னார்! சிரித்துக் கொண்டே உரையாடியவாறு சாப்பிட்டு முடித்தோம். பிறகு சிவாஜி எங்களிடம் விடைபெற்றுக் கொண்டு புறப்பட்டு விட்டார்.

அண்ணா, நான், சம்பத்து மூவரும் காரில் போய்க்கொண்டிருக்கிறோம். அப்போது சம்பத்து அண்ணாவிடம், ''இந்த கணேசனுக்கு அதற்குள் எவ்வளவு ஆணவம் வந்துவிட்டது. உங்கள் வசனங்களை மனப்பாடம் செய்வது கஷ்டமாயிருக்கிறது என்று உங்களிடமே சொல்கிறான்!'' என்று அண்ணா மனத்தில் விஷ விதையைத் தெளித்தார்.

அப்போது அண்ணா அதை மறுத்து, ''இல்லை சம்பத்! வயது ஆக ஆக மனப்பாடம் செய்வது கஷ்டமாக இருக்கிறது என்றுதான் கணேசன் சொன்னது! அதைத் தவறாக எடுத்து கொள்ளக் கூடாது!'' எனப் பதில் அளித்தார்.

இப்படிக் காரில் நடந்ததை; இதோ இப்போது நான் எழுதுகிற வரையில் சிவாஜியிடம் கூறியதில்லை! ஆனால் சிவாஜியைப்போல் என்னிடம் நெருங்கிப் பழகிய நண்பர்களிடம் மட்டும் இதைக் கூறி வருத்தப்பட்டிருக்கிறேன்.

'பராசக்தி' படம் வெளி வந்தவுடன் அதை எரிச்சலுடன் விமரிசித்துக் கண்டனம் எழுதிய 'தினமணிக் கதிர்' ஏட்டில் 'பரப்பிரம்மம்' என்ற தலைப்பில் அந்தப் படத்தை ஏகடியம் செய்து கார்ட்டூனும் வெளியிட்டார்கள்.

உடனே நான் 'பரப்பிரம்மம்' என்ற தலைப்பிலேயே ஒரு நாடகம் எழுதி நாடு முழுதும் நடத்த ஏற்பாடு செய்தேன். அதில் நானும், நடிகர் திலகம் சிவாஜியும், கழக நண்பர்களும் நடித்தோம். அந்த நாடகத்தில் 'சேரன் செங்குட்டுவன்' வேடத்தில் சிவாஜி நடித்தது இன்னமும் என் கண் முன்னால் நிற்கும் காட்சியாகும்!

கல்லக்குடி போராட்ட நிதி திரட்டுவதற்கும் அந்த நாடகத்தைப் பயன்படுத்தினோம். இவ்வாறு கல்லக்குடி போராட்டம் 1953 ஆம் ஆண்டு நடைபெற்று நான் ஆறு மாதக் கடுங்காவல் தண்டனையைப் பெற்று சிறைபுகும் வரையில் சிவாஜி கணேசன், கழகத்தின் வளர்ச்சிக்காகத் தனது கலைப்பணியை ஆற்றி வந்தார்! [tscii:4f5eeeeac3][/tscii:4f5eeeeac3]

joe
4th June 2007, 10:45 AM
அதற்கிடையே இருபத்து ஏழாயிரம் ரூபாய் புயல் நிதி திரட்டப்பட்டு அதற்குக் கைத்தறி ஆடைகள் வாங்கி வழங்குகிற விழா சென்னையில் நடைபெற்றபோது, அந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு சிவாஜி கணேசன் அழைக்கப்படவில்லை. அவர் வெளியூரில் இருந்தபோது அவருக்குத் தெரியாமலே அநத் விழா ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்பட்டு விட்டது. நிதி திரட்டும் பணியில் என்னுடம் பெரும் பங்கேற்றிருந்த சிவாஜி அந்த நிகழ்ச்சிக் கு வரவேண்டுமென்பதில் நான் கண்ணுங்கருத்துமாக இருந்தேன் என்றாலும் சிவாஜியை வராமல் செய்ய வேண்டுமென்பதில் அக்கறை காட்டியவர்கள் வெற்றி பெற்றுவிட்டார்கள். அவர்கள், யார் என்ற விபரங்களுக்குள் எல்லாம் விரிவாக நுழைய விரும்பவில்லை.

கல்லக்குடி போராட்டத்தில் ஈடுபட்டு திருச்சி சிறையில் இருந்த என்னை வந்து சிவாஜி பார்த்துவிட்டுப் போனார்.

என்னையும் அவரையும் சிறைச்சாலை ஆறுமாத காலம் பிரித்துவிட்டதைப் பயன்படுத்திக்கொண்டு கழகத்திற்கு உள்ளே இருந்த சிலரும், கழகத்திற்கு வெளியே இருந்த சிலரும் தங்கள் முயற்சிகளை முடுக்கிவிட்டு - அவரை கழகத்திலிருந்து பிரித்துவிட்டார்கள்!

அவர் கழகத்திலிருந்து வெளியேற, ''திருப்பதிக்குச் சென்று சாமி கும்பிட்டார்'' என்பதே பெரும் குற்றச்சாட்டாக அப்போது வெடித்தது! அந்தக் குற்றச்சாட்டுக்கு அன்றைக்கு கனம் ஏற்றிப் பேசியவர்கள், கொள்கைப் பற்றால் கூட அல்ல; சிவாஜியின் மீதிருந்த பொறாமையால் அவரை வெளியேற்ற வெகுண்டெழுந்தனர்.

கட்சியிலிருந்துதான் வெளியேறினாரே தவிர, அண்ணாவின் அன்பு உள்ளத்திலிருந்து அவர் வெளியேறவில்லை! எங்களின் பாசம் மிகுந்த நட்பு, அந்த வெளியேற்றத்தால் வெட்டப்படவில்லை! அது தொடர்ந்தது - தொடர்ந்து கொண்டேயிருக்கிறது!

நன்றி - நெஞ்சுக்கு நீதி (இரண்டாம் பாகம்) - கலைஞர் மு. கருணாநிதி[tscii:7bee85a850][/tscii:7bee85a850]

Murali Srinivas
4th June 2007, 01:32 PM
SP,

As bay area said, NT- Kanchana pair acted only in Sivandha Man(n) but that one movie catapulated them to fame among NT fans. They also acted in Vilayattu Pillai together though they were not paired. As VP came after SM, there was a round of applause reserved for Kanchana in VP.

Joe,

It was nice to read MuKa's writings on NT but I feel that is his version of NT being forced to leave DMK. We don't know the other side and there seems to be another version. Knowing how close EVKS Elangovan was with NT and still how he continues to highlight NT in Congress, it is bit difficult to believe that Sampath was against NT. As for as I know when Sampath joined Congress and contested Parliament elections from gobichettipalayam under Congress(O) banner, Nt actively canvassed for him in 1971.

Regards

Shakthiprabha.
4th June 2007, 01:36 PM
very very very interesting!

Inherent, bright talent, invites ENEMIES!

In this funny world, ALMOST ANYTHING invites enemies :)

A successful person goes thro scorns, criticisms, hatred, jealousy, spite, vengence , WHAT NOT, before he gets acknowledged by a wide mass....

and then CRITICISMS, AND ENMITY AND SCORNS do continue :D
but in a HUSH-HUSH way :)

My dad always quotes his favourite quote....
by Gandhi

"First they ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,
then you win"

Murali Srinivas
4th June 2007, 01:47 PM
tac,

I won't say NT- Ushanandhini pair was popular amongst fans though some may have liked it. What happened is at one point of time, the top heroines like JJ and Vanishree were more concentrating on telugu and KRV after her marriage and child birth became so fat that directors were looking for new heroines to pair with NT and that's how Ushanandhini (a keralite) came in. It so happened that her films with NT stared releasing continously like

1. Ponnunjal - 1973

2. Gauravam - 1973

3. R.Rangadurai -1973

4. M.Deivamagalam - 1975

5. E.P.Oruvan -1978 (this movie started in 71-72 came only in 1978)

So seeing continously the pair some fans like your uncle might have got a liking for the same.

Regards

Nakeeran
4th June 2007, 01:52 PM
Watch this evergreen song from the superhit UTHAMAPUTHIRAN :

http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/unnazhagai_kanniyargal.wmv

Unnazagai kanniyargal sonnadhinaale
ullamellam paravasamai aanadhinaale
kanni endhan meedhilaasai kondadhinaale
kaariyam niraverum endhan ennathai poleee !

Villain Nadigar thilagam actually wins the hearts of fans finally :D

For me also, this character steals the show !

Pappi Mam. vow , gorgeous and amazingly beautiful !

the climax song wherein Padmini seduces the villain NT to achieve her objective.

The music - the great G.RAMANATHAN .

Some songs are ranked as greatest amongst the greats. This song is one such !

Nakeeran
4th June 2007, 01:57 PM
http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/anbE_amudhE.wmv

Watch another beautiful number from UP. This time, its the hero character !

Grace personified !

Nakeeran
4th June 2007, 02:04 PM
If Unnazagai is for villain, this is for the hero again .

Yes, the one and only incomparable MULLAI MALAR MELE , a song which defines romance.

Kudos to TMS and PS .

NT and Padmini, made for each other !

Look how he reacts while singing - Alli vizi thaava kanden enmele !! Charming !

http://psgold.tamilinfo.net/mullaimalar_melE.wmv

sankara1970
4th June 2007, 03:56 PM
NT-Padmini-Romantic pair-unbeatable pair

NT-Sarojadevi-Matured performances

NT-JJ- (Vera Vazi Illai) -It's like Rajni-Meena-but accepted by fans

NT-KRV-Romantic next to NT-Padmini

NT-Vanisree-Romantic and liked by fans

The above pairs have acted together in many successful films

The following made good impact on screen when acted together:

NT-Savithri
NT-Kannamba(Son-mother)
NT-Devika-good performances

raaja_rasigan
4th June 2007, 04:15 PM
SP,

As bay area said, NT- Kanchana pair acted only in Sivandha Man(n) but that one movie catapulated them to fame among NT fans. They also acted in Vilayattu Pillai together though they were not paired. As VP came after SM, there was a round of applause reserved for Kanchana in VP.

Regards

is that kanchana, who acted as the daughter of NT in Motor sundaram pillai, paired with sivakumar.....

she will be nice

abkhlabhi
4th June 2007, 04:22 PM
Forgotten Sivaji - Sowkar combination

Sivaji - Lakshmi ? - Though Lakshmi acted as sister to NT in many movies before '75. she acted few few movies with NT as heroine. One of the best is Thiyagam - a silver jubliee hit.

Raghu
4th June 2007, 04:23 PM
Raghu,
It is 'Paatha Kaanikkai' ,not a NT movie

Thanks Joe anNe :-)

just watched Karnan again, oh boy oh boy oh boy

Singa nadai pa Singa Nadai

Simma Kural pa Simma Kural

SHIVAJI sir SHIVAJi sir thaan, :clap: :clap: :clap:

Murali Srinivas
4th June 2007, 07:45 PM
Dear r_r,

You are right. Kanchana was there in MSP.

Dear Nakeeran,

Hope you will next host Gurudhakshinai songs. (Just kidding. don't take it seriously)

Regards

DHANUSU
5th June 2007, 07:05 AM
Dear all hubbers,

I am a new entrant to this famed forum which I am very much proud of. My only qualification to enter this forum is that I am a diehard fan of the immortal NT. I have been going through this forum for quite some time and got very valuable information, excellent analysis and nice debates about the one and only NT. I hope and wish you will welcome and accommodate me in your forum. Looking for an enlightening experience with all your cooperation.

Regards

Dhanusu

Nakeeran
5th June 2007, 07:06 AM
Dear r_r,

You are right. Kanchana was there in MSP.

Dear Nakeeran,

Hope you will next host Gurudhakshinai songs. (Just kidding. don't take it seriously)

Regards

Murali Sir

Why the songs only ? I posted the link for the movie itself sometime back ! A nice movie . :D

m_23_bayarea
5th June 2007, 07:08 AM
Dear all hubbers,

I am a new entrant to this famed forum which I am very much proud of. My only qualification to enter this forum is that I am a diehard fan of the immortal NT. I have been going through this forum for quite some time and got very valuable information, excellent analysis and nice debates about the one and only NT. I hope and wish you will welcome and accommodate me in your forum. Looking for an enlightening experience with all your cooperation.

Regards

Dhanusu

Dhanusu! Welcome to the hub... Have a great time! Being a NT fan, you will have good company! :notworthy: :thumbsup:

joe
5th June 2007, 07:21 AM
Dear all hubbers,

Regards

Dhanusu

Dhanusu,
Welcome :D to Hub NT fans circle ..Expecting your valuable contribution here :D

DHANUSU
5th June 2007, 08:01 AM
How about G. Varalakshmi as a pair for NT. I think this pair acted in only one movie-'Nan Petra Selvam'- a very memorable movie indeed.

rajeshkrv
5th June 2007, 08:10 AM
DHANUSU, G.Varalakshmi was NT's pair in Harichandra as well

DHANUSU
5th June 2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the information rajesh. How about starting a discussion, I dont know if it has taken place earlier, on male co-stars of NT who almost came close to NT, be it SV Subbiah, SV Sahasranamam, Nagesh, MRR, Rangarao, SSR, GG. In my view SSR did a very reasonably good supporting role in Deivapiravi and Kai Kodutha Deivam. Especially in the later movie he played the role of a brother who would be dead against NT marrying his sister (Savithiri) because she had earned the wrath of the local'dada' (MRR) who spread canards about her. A very good and captivating movie. I think this movie itself desreves some wide discussions. A stellar performance by both NTs and good supporting roles by SSR, KRV and MRR.

Murali Srinivas
5th June 2007, 07:22 PM
Dear Dhanusu,

Welcome to the forum. Welcome to NT thread. It is quite heartening that more and more fans of NT are joining up and hope your contribution will enlighten the thread.

Most of the films of NT have not been discussed in detail here though couple of movies have been dealt with. As you said let us do what had not been attempted so far.

Regards

Murali Srinivas
5th June 2007, 07:44 PM
Dear SP,

I wanted to write about this yesterday itself. While talking about Vanishree, you had mentioned about PS and you were wondering what role would have NT fitted in to.

That made me to travel back. The time I got introduced to PS and the time I got baptised in to NT religion were almost the same and whenever I went through the 5 Bagams or whenever I thought about it, this question of fitting NT would be foremost in my thought. It was a difficult exercise in the sense that PS had more than one hero.

When I would visualise NT for Vandhiya Thevan, Arul Mozhi Varman would pop up because he was the "Kathai" Nayagan. From nowhere the face of Adhitiya Karikalan would come up and considering his profile (all valour and bravery with a devil care attitude), I never wanted anybody else to do the role other than NT. In fact I had thought of NT doing more than one role so that my sub conscious mind is satisfied.

Imagine I have been dreaming this as if I am the producer/Director but you can never stop your thoughts. But when I came to know that film rights for both Ponniyin Selvan and Sivakamiyin Sabatham were held by MGR, my dreams got shattered. There was some suggestion that both NT and MGR may act together but I knew that this will not happen. Both groups will not be satisfied. Also the fact that the third among the triology Parthiban Kanavu had already been filmed (GG - Vyjayanthi) added to my sogam.

MGR till his death did not give the rigts to anybody and after some time there was this talk of Kamal doing PS but for Doordharsan. It was also mentioned that the pilot episode had been submitted to DD for approval. But nothing came out.

So again we lost a great opportunity to see NT in a great role.

Regards

PS: In fact the failure of Raja Raja Chozhan to evoke proper response in the hearts of TN people was in a way indirectly connected to PS.

rajeshkrv
5th June 2007, 11:07 PM
dhanusu thanks and why not ? we can discuss at length about the Male Co-Stars who were equally good and some have stole the show from NT in few films too

yes S.V.Subbiah,S.V.Sahasranamam,S.V.Rangarao,T.S.Bali ah,M.R.Radha,Nagesh,V.Nagiah,GG,SSR,Thangavelu,Mut huraman and many others

in particular, Rangarao & MRR had a comic wibe with NT which is absolutely a visual treat to watch.

As you've mentioned, Kai kodutha deivam is a fantastic movie . I'll wait for MuraliSrinivas & other Stalwarts to commence and i'll jump to add my thoughts as well

DHANUSU
6th June 2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the welcome note from one of my respected hubbers Murali Srinivas and followup thread from Rajesh.
If PS would have been made as a movie with the combination of APN, KVM,KD of course with none other than NT it would have been a magnum opus.

groucho070
6th June 2007, 08:11 AM
Groucho,

Yesterday night I had been watching Thenkinnam in Jaya TV (which I do on all week days) and I was very much reminded of you. Reason was there were 5-6 NT songs and most of them were your favourites.It started with

1. Nallavan enakku Nane - Padithal Mattum Pothuma.

A cool and enthusiastic NT with a calm Balajee

2. Nalla Kariyam Seekiram Nadakannum - Ponnunjal

I remember you writing about this movie in this thread.

3.The evergreen and irresistable S.P.Chowdhry and his wife singing

Nallathoru Kudumbam

Do I need to say anything on this?

4. Nalvazhthu Naan Solluven - Pattikada Pattanama

Again I remember your post and you mentioning this song and lines

Yaaridam Kurai Illai;
Yaridam Thavaru Illai;
Vazhvathu Oru Murai
Vazhthatum Thalaimurai

5. Nallavar Kuralukku Madhiprikkum - Dr.Siva

The last saranam dedicated to Perunthalaivar (song written and recored when PT was alive but when it hit the screen on Nov 2nd of 1975, PT had already passed away a month earlier) was the highlight of this song.

6. Nalla Idam Nee Vandha Idam - Galatta Kalyanam

The first scene of the movie literally welcoming JJ to NT camp. NT in half sleeves and tie would be so handsome even though he was entering into the Forties.

Groucho, hope you had a hick- up last night.

Regards

Yes, Murali-sar, hiccup kanna-pinnaa-nu vanthathu. I know who to 'blame' now.

Being my guru to the NT religion, I am honoured and humbled by the fact that you remembered me watching those songs. Ellam NT-yin magimai.

Of that five songs, I like the one in Ponunjal. There is so much hurt in that beautiful love song. Simple family squable can really torture two loving hearts and that song and NT's performance (I got issues with Usha, but that's for later) really moved me.

And again, I am really bowled over by the fact that you remembered me mentioning the PP lines. I know you have fantastic memory power, but this?

I love that songs to bits. Ippo ulla Divorce rate-ku romba poruttam (being a divorcee myself).

Also, Galatta Kalyanam, I think, along with Sumathi En Sundari, has the best looking NT. Youthful, athletic, and was at his peak when it comes to performance. Both film shows him in comedic moment. I wish (so did NT) that he had done more comedic films in the manner of GK and Bale Pandiya.

SP,
What's wrong with Devika? She works so well with NT during the pre-67 period. Plus she's soooooooooo beautiful. Apadiye partukittee irukkalaam. She does not fall into heavyweight acting category of Savithiri and Padhmini, but still she complements NT's performance.

Brother Joe,
I see you in Periyar thread later.

Murali Srinivas
6th June 2007, 07:10 PM
Dear Groucho,

It is my pleasure to remember NT fans and their writings.

Dear Dhanusu ( your raasi?),

Thanks for your nice words. Hope you will contribute much here.

Coming to Kai Kodutha Deivam, again it was one of those beautiful movies where NT willingly played second fiddle. Having got released in 1964, again another calendar year in which almost all of NT's movies did well, this still stands testimonial to the acting powers of a great actress who answered to the name of Savithiri a.k.a. Nadigayar Thilagam.

A film by KSG, the movie in the first half will be hilarious (you will get a feeling that there are two seperate tracks) which will beautifully merge in to a single stream. Though the movie would take a serious turn, pathos in the form of tears and sentiments would be far and few.

This movie had two other great stalwarts other than NTs and they were SVR and MRR. It also had KSG's favourite KRV. The scenes at Chandigargh, especialy at the office when NT would be the peon,SSR the manager and KRV as the typist would be fun.

Karnan's camera work especially during the boat sequence of Sindhu Nadhiyin would be very much different to that of the camera angles which used to be seen during those days.

Though coming in the last lap of Mellisai Mannargal's musical journey,songs were a treat. Ayirathil Oruthi amma nee, Kulunga Kulunga sirikkum sirippil along with the ever green sindhu Nadhiyin (The song which was eventually used to sung by most of the competitors taking part in Bharathi songs competition) still continue to be widely heard.

I have not gone in depth in to the movie which I leave it to Dhanusu and willing volunteer like dear Rajesh and other experts.

Regards

Shakthiprabha.
6th June 2007, 09:13 PM
Dear SP,
When I would visualise NT for Vandhiya Thevan, Arul Mozhi Varman would pop up because he was the "Kathai" Nayagan. From nowhere the face of Adhitiya Karikalan would come up and considering his profile (all valour and bravery with a devil care attitude), I never wanted anybody else to do the role other than NT. In fact I had thought of NT doing more than one role so that my sub conscious mind is satisfied

Youve thought quite like me :)

But when I came to know that film rights for both Ponniyin Selvan and Sivakamiyin Sabatham were held by MGR, my dreams got shattered.

Oh I CAN UNDERSTAND :sigh2:

Also the fact that the third among the triology Parthiban Kanavu had already been filmed (GG - Vyjayanthi) added to my sogam.

:lol: I did like them though :D

Actually I dont know... sometimes I feel adithyakarikaalan, and then EARLIER DAYS OF SHIVAJI would suit vanthiyathEvan... and then RAJARAJAsozhan during his prime period.

I think I wanted him in all roles, that I could not decide which.

MY GOD ALL NT FANS ARE GREEDY :D

Murali Srinivas
7th June 2007, 01:04 PM
This week Kumudam which hit the stands today has Vairamuthu's Badhilgal (a regular feature nowadays) in which there are two references to NT. One is very poignant and the other depicts a realistic NT. Probably Joe can give a link to the same.

Regards

joe
7th June 2007, 01:09 PM
This week Kumudam which hit the stands today has Vairamuthu's Badhilgal (a regular feature nowadays) in which there are two references to NT. One is very poignant and the other depicts a realistic NT. Probably Joe can give a link to the same.

Regards

I think the latest issue is not updated in kumudam.com (latest available is 06.06.07 issue) ..I will update here once latest version got updated. :D

joe
7th June 2007, 01:33 PM
Veera Pandiya Kattabomman -Climax .

சிங்கத்தமிழனின் வீர கர்ஜனை
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRl7PudH2c&mode=related&search=

joe
7th June 2007, 01:44 PM
KattaBomman - Farewell before War

நடிப்புலக சக்கரவர்த்தி - 28 வயதில் இடிமுழக்கம்

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLnkIKiFIIc&mode=related&search=

kamalsurya
7th June 2007, 02:01 PM
KattaBomman - Farewell before War

நடிப்புலக சக்கரவர்த்தி - 28 வயதில் இடிமுழக்கம்

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLnkIKiFIIc&mode=related&search= :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: Too Majestic :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy: