PDA

View Full Version : The real story behind Ganesha's Origin

Alan
10th August 2006, 09:22 PM
Can someone explain in a short & simple way how Lord Ganesha got his Elephant head?

mokshani
10th August 2006, 11:12 PM
Sure Alan, this is according to the anecdote that i heard from my mom. Parvathi before going to take shower, using turmeric powder, she makes a small figure, statue and that turns into ganesha. She will be extremely happy and ask him to stand outside untill she finishes her bath. Ganesha as her mother instruction, she guards outside. Lord shiva comes by and surprised by this kid guarding, he asks him to give way. Ganesha says, i wont let u in, my mother is taking shower. They talk, leads to argument and finally lord shiva gets angry and cuts his head. Parvathi comes out and explain to lord shiva that he is their son and was created by turmeric. Immediately lord shiva order his dhootas to get any animals heads thats facing north side or something (iam not really sure which side) before sunset. They search everywhere,couldnt find any. Finally they see an elephant facing the direction as lord shiva asked for. They cut the head and lord shiva replace it on Ganesha neck. Parvathi cries for ganesha's appearence, then lord shiva gives a boon to ganesha that, all the devotees must pray to him first and then they can proceed to other god's pooja, otherwise there will be no use of performing any kind of pooja.

Alan
10th August 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks Mokshani!

So, Ganesha is not their 'biological' son, huh? What about Lord Subramanium?

mokshani
10th August 2006, 11:36 PM
Iam not sure abt lord subramania. Hmmmm... never thought abt his birth though, I dont know much abt him, got to ask my mom :)

Surya
11th August 2006, 02:10 AM
This is how I know it.....

The demon Surapadma ravaged the earth and torutured humans. It was realized by the gods that only the son born of Shiva and Parvati could lead the gods to victory over Tarakaasuran, Surapadman and their demon companions.

They plotted with Kaama, the lord of desire, to shoot a flower arrow at Shiva, as he sat in meditation, so as to make him fall in love with Parvati.

When Kaama aimed his arrow at Shiva, he opened his third eye (aka Nettrikan) and burned him to ashes instantly. :thumbsup: Upon hearing the pleas of Kama's wife Rati, he brought back Kama to life, in flesh and blood for her sake, and in a formless state for others.

However, the sparks of the fiery seed of Shiva were unbearable; even the Fire God (Agni Bhagavan) could not bear them; this fire was then transported by the river Ganga (Flowing from Lord Shiva's Hair :)) into the Sara Vana forest, where Sara Vana Bhava was born.

He was raised by the six Kartika damsels. Parvati combined these six babies into one with six faces, ie. Shanmukha. Shanmukha, or Kartikeya the supreme general of the devas, led the army of the devas to victory against the demons. :)

*Even though it seems like the creation of Muruga was an accident, it is widely believed that it was destined by fate (which Shiva was aware of) that this creation which grew from the Fire which Shiva used to Destroy the god of Desire (Kaama) from his Netrikann (3rd Eye) will be the leader to lead the Devas in the War against the Demons. :D

The six sites at which Kartikeya sojourned while leading his armies against Surapadman are Tiruttanikai, Swamimalai, Tiruvavinankudi (Palani), Pazhamudirsolai, Tirupparamkunram and Tiruchendur.

All these sites have ancient temples glorified by the tamil poems of Tirumurugaatruppadai of the Sangam period (prior to the 3rd century CE).

Tirukkurukkai, in Tamilnadu near Thanjavur, enshrines Kaamari Murthy, the destroyer of Kaama, in the Veeratteswarar temple which is one of the 8 Veeratta stalas celebrating Shiva as the destroyer of evil. :D

Anoushka
11th August 2006, 02:15 AM
I think Surya's story about Subramaniya is right, except for the fact that the version that I heard had something to do with some six drops falling on earth and six children being born.... then when they grow up under tha care of Karthigai peNgal, Parvathi comes and joins them together as one :) I could be wrong here!

Surya
11th August 2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks Mokshani!

So, Ganesha is not their 'biological' son, huh? What about Lord Subramanium?

I'm not sure what u mean by Biological. :)
None of the Children of Gods in Hinduism are put through the 9 month Fetus Cycle, because they aren't created the way humans make babies. :)

Most of these creations (Muruga, Ganesha, Aiyyappa etc) are created with magical/mystical powers. :D

Surya
11th August 2006, 02:18 AM
I think Surya's story about Subramaniya is right, except for the fact that the version that I heard had something to do with some six drops falling on earth and six children being born.... then when they grow up under tha care of Karthigai peNgal, Parvathi comes and joins them together as one :) I could be wrong here!

I want to say something about that version, but we'd be gettin a bit political. :P But I could be mistaken. :D

Alan
11th August 2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks Surya! That made an interesting read!

nms
11th August 2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for those nice mythological stories.

Tia
11th August 2006, 06:18 PM
i learnt it when i was small but i heard so many different stories that i'm totally confused!

Alan
12th August 2006, 12:14 AM
Ghilli, when did you become Tia?

Tia
12th August 2006, 01:18 AM
when Ghilli got banned :lol:

Alan
12th August 2006, 08:01 AM
O I see!

Braandan
12th August 2006, 01:20 PM
First find out whether you have a head, then worry about Ganesha's head

http://www.headless.org/

mokshani
13th August 2006, 04:56 AM
Thankyou surya for narrating the story of subramania. Nicely explained :)

Surya
15th August 2006, 12:42 AM
thanks mokshani! :D

padmanabha
17th August 2006, 09:04 PM
Have you ever heard of the Ganesa of Keralapuram. Here the idol of Ganesa, would be black for six months and white for the rest of the year. It is located 50 kms south of Thiruvananthapuram

mokshani
17th August 2006, 11:02 PM
Hi padmanabha! Really!! that sounds amazing. Do u have more details abt that or any pics/website???

Surya
17th August 2006, 11:33 PM
Yes Mr.Padhmanabha!! :D Please give us more info! :D :D :D Would love to know more about the wonders of our Temples! 8-)

padmanabha
18th August 2006, 05:53 AM
have you ever heard of the ganesa of keralapuram. the color of the idol changes every six months from balck to white

Braandan
18th August 2006, 05:03 PM
The painter around there must be very meticulous. I would like to know which calendar he is using.. the gregorian one or the lunar one?

Alan
18th August 2006, 11:48 PM
Have you ever heard of the Ganesa of Keralapuram. Here the idol of Ganesa, would be black for six months and white for the rest of the year. It is located 50 kms south of Thiruvananthapuram

REALLY? That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Could you give in more details, Sir?

mokshani
21st August 2006, 04:22 AM
Yes sir.... i would also like to know abt it. Please give us more details...Thanx

Raghu
22nd August 2006, 04:23 PM
Surya Machi is right about the Origin of Karthikeya, which was shown beautifully in
RamAnand Saagar's tele Series 'Krishna'.

but what wonders me is the fact, Only Tamilians and some Sinhalease worship Lord Muruga, as far as I know , except Tamil Nadu, Lord Muruga is not known or worshiped any where else in India, is this true?

Raghu
22nd August 2006, 04:27 PM
i learnt it when i was small but i heard so many different stories that i'm totally confused!

This is what u call 'Maya'.

mokshani
22nd August 2006, 09:20 PM
Yes, in Tamilnadu lord muruga is well known. He has full importance and worshipped. Few kannadigas also worship him as he is the other form of snake, subramania. In andhra i dont think they pray to muruga. Iam Kannadiga, born and bought up in andhra but picked up tamil by watching tv :) (have few relatives in chennai), Now living in USA.

Raghu
23rd August 2006, 02:24 PM
Yes, in Tamilnadu lord muruga is well known. He has full importance and worshipped. Few kannadigas also worship him as he is the other form of snake, subramania. In andhra i dont think they pray to muruga. Iam Kannadiga, born and bought up in andhra but picked up tamil by watching tv :) (have few relatives in chennai), Now living in USA.

Hi,

I did not know that, Shanmuga is worshipped in various forms in Kannada :roll:

any way, as far as I know, Lord Murugan is described as Dravidian GOD, esp tamil GOD, this could be the reason why he is not worshipped up north by Aryans, Lord Aiyappa is another example of this.

nilavupriyan
23rd August 2006, 04:16 PM
in north india muruga is worshipped and called as "subramanya"

he is a "TAMIZH KADAVUL" man

Surya
24th August 2006, 05:06 AM
"Sangam Vaithu Tamiz Valartha Deivam."

Yeah, He is known, but wordhipped by very few in the North, or for that matter in any other state in the south.

madhu
24th August 2006, 06:41 AM
Both in maharashtra and Bengal also Lord Muruga is worshipped as "Karthikeya".

In the temple at parvathi hills, pune... ladies are not allowed to worship Muruga.. as he is a chronic bachelor :P ( but Ganesha is with his two consort siddhi and riddhi.. )

Badri
24th August 2006, 06:54 AM
Both in maharashtra and Bengal also Lord Muruga is worshipped as "Karthikeya".

In the temple at parvathi hills, pune... ladies are not allowed to worship Muruga.. as he is a chronic bachelor :P ( but Ganesha is with his two consort siddhi and riddhi.. )

Hmm!!! :roll: Everyone worships in the way they want!!

In Tamizhnadu, it is Ganesha who is the chronic bachelor, and Kumara the divine playboy like his Uncle, Tirumal.

In Maharashtra, it is the other way around!

Krishna rightly said in the Gita:
Ye yatha maam prapadyanthey
Taamsthathaiva bhajaamyaham

Raghu
25th August 2006, 06:38 PM
Skanda, a son of Shiva ,He was suckled by the six Krtikas (Pleiades) and developed six faces for this purpose, and has twelve arms. From this he derives his name Karttikeya by which he is commonly known and worshipped. He was made head of the army of gods, and, according to the Mahabharata, defeated Mahisa and Taraka who through the tapas were threatening the gods.

He is depicted as young and caste, in the personage of Kumara, clothed in red with a spear that always hits its target and returns to his hand. Also he is seen as "one who jumps" when fighting. His cult of antiquity once covered India, but now is solely in the south.

His consorts include Kaumari, (Devasena) and Valli, and his sons are Sakha, Visakha, and Naigameya. Seen as virile and youthful, to some, his name may signify the emission of seamen. The peacock and cockerel are among his sacred animals, the latter being both aggressive and a jumper. He may carry a wide assortment of objects and weapons. His attributes include a banner, cockerel, hatchet, peacock feather, and staff.

ramky
27th August 2006, 08:46 AM
Murugan is also worshipped to some extent in Kerala where he's known as Muruga / Velmuruga. Though Guruvaayurappan & Iyyappan are the most popular Hindu deities there.

mokshani
28th August 2006, 06:06 AM
Skanda, a son of Shiva ,He was suckled by the six Krtikas (Pleiades) and developed six faces for this purpose, and has twelve arms. From this he derives his name Karttikeya by which he is commonly known and worshipped. He was made head of the army of gods, and, according to the Mahabharata, defeated Mahisa and Taraka who through the tapas were threatening the gods.

He is depicted as young and caste, in the personage of Kumara, clothed in red with a spear that always hits its target and returns to his hand. Also he is seen as "one who jumps" when fighting. His cult of antiquity once covered India, but now is solely in the south.

His consorts include Kaumari, (Devasena) and Valli, and his sons are Sakha, Visakha, and Naigameya. Seen as virile and youthful, to some, his name may signify the emission of seamen. The peacock and cockerel are among his sacred animals, the latter being both aggressive and a jumper. He may carry a wide assortment of objects and weapons. His attributes include a banner, cockerel, hatchet, peacock feather, and staff.
Wow, thats whole lot of story abt subramanya. Thanx for the information raghu :)

Raghu
29th August 2006, 03:50 PM

Wow, thats whole lot of story abt subramanya. Thanx for the information raghu :)

no worries

gayatri yanamandra
21st November 2006, 01:46 AM
Lord subramanyam is quiet popular in andhra..we find lot of people with name...subramanyam...subbarayadu, etc
i know few temples of subramanyam swamy which are famous in east godavari district.. for blessing devotees who are childless..but, tamilnadu has significant khestaras.

lord veerabhadra is famous.. in andhra esp in east and west godavari districts.i dont know if he is known in tamil nadu..

Daksharam is a famous lord siva temple. this is suposed to be the place of daksha yagana dvamsam..
on hearing the news of sati , siva in his parlaya thandava hits the floor with jatajotam( hair) veerabhadra is born from that fire, he demolishes the daksha yaganam on orders from siva..

patisam is famous veerabhadra temple, it is in middle of river godavari.

avii
21st November 2006, 05:08 PM
can veerabadra and madurai veeran be the same deva ????? i have heard people say something to this effect and am not sure if what they are saying is true or not!!!!!!

mokshani
21st November 2006, 11:05 PM
Lord subramanyam is quiet popular in andhra..we find lot of people with name...subramanyam...subbarayadu, etc
i know few temples of subramanyam swamy which are famous in east godavari district.. for blessing devotees who are childless..but, tamilnadu has significant khestaras.

lord veerabhadra is famous.. in andhra esp in east and west godavari districts.i dont know if he is known in tamil nadu..

Daksharam is a famous lord siva temple. this is suposed to be the place of daksha yagana dvamsam..
on hearing the news of sati , siva in his parlaya thandava hits the floor with jatajotam( hair) veerabhadra is born from that fire, he demolishes the daksha yaganam on orders from siva..

patisam is famous veerabhadra temple, it is in middle of river godavari.
wow! lot of info from andhra. Hi gayathri! iam from andhra too. Actually native is karnataka, born and bought up in tirupathi. Have never visited much places in andhra though.... Keep in touch

gayatri yanamandra
22nd November 2006, 02:55 AM
hi mokshani, nice meeting you......good to hear that you were raised in tirupathi.. did you visit any places around tirupathi?can you understand telugu?

mokshani
22nd November 2006, 09:54 PM
hi mokshani, nice meeting you......good to hear that you were raised in tirupathi.. did you visit any places around tirupathi?can you understand telugu?
Around tirupathi i have visited places like, tirumala, tiruchanoor, kalahasti, thondavaada and other places............ My mother tongue is kannada, as i was bought up in tirupathi, i can read and write telugu, don t ask me if they are all correct :) . I can speak telugu well with kannada accent :) .

sundararaj
18th December 2006, 03:51 PM
Well...Does anybody know why sea water is salty?