Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/azha_tv.rm

Song: azhagaana malare
Film: thendral veesum
Singer: PBSrinivas
Lyrics: kannadasan?
Music : Viswanathan Ramamurthy

This is a beautiful lullaby by PBS.

I have no details of 'thendral veesum' other than what Ramamurthy has to say in this thread

http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/18657.oldsongs.html

Nitchayathamboolam and Thenral Veesum were produced by B.S.Ranga,a predominantly Kannada film producer.It is not Pakshiraja as you said.
Theral veesum has some of the most melodious songs by Visvanathan-Ramamurthy.
'Azhagana malare arivana porule '-by P.B.Srinivas is one of the songs.I saw the movie twice just for the songs. In fact the secand time I was almost alone in the theater in Pondicherry where I was a medical student.

Manisekaran writes 'Padinar Kavingar paadinaar recorded for Nichaya Thamboolam but nused in Thendral Veesum. '

rs writes

I got a record shop to tape for me VR songs from two tamil films which I have so far not heard over radio: thendral veesum and senthamarai. The films came in 1962, in which year they scored for 17 films. You should listen to these songs: they are very melodius. In fact, anyone who listens to the song, kanavae kaathal,in the latter film will like it immediately and will want to relisten to it. I am not sure why these film songs are not broadcast over radio.

sathyakabali
1st March 2005, 05:26 AM
Ramki
Thanks for this melody.
Ramamurthy is right.
B.S.Ranga was the producer , director of both films Nichchaya thamboolam and Thendral veesum. Both films were produced by Vikram productions and released in the year 1962.
Manisekaran is right about the song "pAdinAr kavinjar pAdinAr". That song was recorded for N.Thambulam released on 9-2-1962. This song could not be included in this film. (That happened in many films those days songs like thendral varum in P.pazhamum, ennai thottu in PMPaar...that songs never seen in films.)
This "pAdinAr " song was included in Thendral veesum by B.S.Ranga. VR were the MD for both films.

Thendral veesum was released on 7-9-1962. starring Kalyankumar and Krishnakumari.
had very good melodies by VR
meettAtha veenaiyithu veesi varum thendral -PS
pAttu piRanthavudan pAda vaiththAyE-PS
pAdinaar-TMS-PS&co
one Janaki solo
the more popular azhagAna malarE

I have heard all these songs in Radio Ceylon. I haven't seen the film.I have been searching all the video stores for these nice melodies alone. No suceess so far.

kanavE song mentioned by rs is a beauty by G.K.Venkatesh in Senthamarai- Sivaji, Padmini Bhimsing film. I think it was the last film Padmini acted before her marriage. There is a beautiful dance song "vAraNamAyiram". K.R.Ramasamy's last song "pAda mAttEn" was in that film. I heard when Kannadasan wrote those lines "pAda mAttEn", nobody thought that will be KRR's last song.

Ramki
1st March 2005, 05:47 AM
sathyakabali,
As always thanks for the details. I have the 'kanave' song from senthaamarai, i will upload it soon.

madhu
1st March 2005, 07:36 AM
Hi !

the dance scene by Padmini in Senthamarai for "Varanamayiram" is reproduced in "annakkiLi" as a scene in a touring cinema !

madhu
1st March 2005, 07:38 AM
I think there is a song "ellorum vazhavenrE ulagam piRanthadhu.. idhil ezhai enrum selvar enrum kalagam vaLarnthadhu".. from "thenral veesum"........ but I forgot the singer ! :roll:

Ramki
2nd March 2005, 05:10 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/raasa_pa.rm

Song: raasaathi raasathi
Film: poovarasan
Singers: SPB, Chitra
Lyrics: Vaali
Music : iLaiyaraja

This is a great song by IR in his 'not so good 90's phase'.
SPB and chitras singing makes the song even more pleasant.
'Poovarasan' had Karthik and Rakshana(debut). I think this was another Karthik-Gokulakrishna combination.
I watched this moved just to see this song but unfortunately it was not shown( not sure if singapore tv censored it or it didnt make it to the screen at all).
The only other ok song from PA 'indha poovukoru arasan'(SPB, ksc)

netfriend4u2005
2nd March 2005, 10:58 PM
'not so good 90's phase' what does that mean. Well u are not an Isai medhai nor an layman who can understand good music. Then on what basis u can say this.
As if all others were/are doing well?
Just listen to ARR, Vidyasagar, Harish etc.. junk and waste songs.
By their standard he is and was always good to his creations.
Just don't throw words. The culprits for this situtations are Balachander and RAJINI gangs who made a mess around IR and tried to CASH on by introducing new MDs but the result was instant FLOP. From which no one around him are able to comeup.

From Mars
3rd March 2005, 01:36 AM
'not so good 90's phase' what does that mean. Well u are not an Isai medhai nor an layman who can understand good music. Then on what basis u can say this.
As if all others were/are doing well?
Just listen to ARR, Vidyasagar, Harish etc.. junk and waste songs.

Don't you think that you're doing the same thing? Are you a "isai mEdhai" to claim others work junk or not ? You don't need to be a isai medhai to like or dislike songs.

Ramki
3rd March 2005, 04:20 AM
Thank you FM :)

Ramki
3rd March 2005, 04:38 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/neeyu_va.rm

Song: neeyum oru peN aanaal
Film: veera Abhimanyu
Singers: PSuseela, PBSrinivas
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music : KVMahadevan

Thanks to JN for sending this song. She has jotted down the lyrics in PBS thread

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewlite.php?t=1916

Sounds like kaNNadasan was in a great romantic mood. Note the lines

PBS: muththamidum vaeLaiyile mookkuththi thadaiyaagum
muththamidum vaeLaiyile mookkuththi thadaiyaagum

adhai saththaminri kazhatri vittaal
nam sandhOsham migavaagum
sandhOsham migavaagum...mmm

PS: paayum thenral kaatre nee parandhu sellaadhe
indha paLLiyarai uLLa varai sange muzhangaadhe

neeyum oru peNNaanaal nilave maraiyaadhe

PBS: katti thazhuvum vaeLaiyile indha kai vaLai thadaiyaagum
katti thazhuvum vaeLaiyile indha kai vaLai thadaiyaagum

adhai kazhatri vittu mella aNaiththuk kondaal
nam kaadhal suvaiyaagum
kaadhal suvaiyaagum

PS: koovum vannak kuyile nee thookkam koLLaadhe
engaL konjum mozhi kaetkum varai pozhudhe malaraadhe

'Paarthen sirithen' is the popular number from this AVMrajan,Kanchana *er. Today's pow is equally good.
I read somewhere that the film was a flop. Ofcourse who will like to watch the old, plump AVMR play the young Abhimanyu's character :)
Now AVMR fans pls pardon me if i offended you. The above comment is mine and only my opinion. Please dont ask if i have 'model' looks to comment about AVMR's :roll:

madhu
3rd March 2005, 07:46 AM
Ramki!

dont mind about people talking about "isai medhai" etc.. You r doing a wonderful job!

BTW, "velum villum viLaiyAda" is also a nice song...

balaji
3rd March 2005, 08:33 AM
Ramki

Thanks for this number and I have heard this before in Ilangai Vanoli (where else?). "Parthen Sirithen" is the one that used to be played often in AIR and I believe was specially liked by Kannadasan himself (read somewhere)

Feel free to provide your opinion. Please do not get distracted by opinions of some of Forumers (is that a right word?).

Whether IR became disinterested in films (that is what an ardent IR fan like me want to believe) or for any other reason, 90s were not the best years of IR.

Keep up the good work

Bala
Thanks
Bala

jn
4th March 2005, 12:51 AM
ramki: thanks.
FM and Madhu: I totally agree with you.
People should accept criticism of all kinds:)

From Mars
4th March 2005, 02:55 AM
Ramki why don't you post some songs by Raveendran?

Jn :)

Ramki
4th March 2005, 05:18 AM
Next:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/paadi_ror.rm

Song: paadi azhaithen
Film: Rasigan oru Rasigai
Singer: KJYesudoss
Lyrics: pulamaipithan
Music : Ravindran

'paadi azhaithen' is a popular number by Ravindran in his debut thamizh film. As far as i know he worked in only 5 films
rasigan oru rasigai
kaNmaniye pesu
Lakshmi vandhaachu
thaiye neeye thunai
Dharma devathai

All five films had excellent songs.

Another song by Raveendran that was feautred in POW

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=42593#42593

NOV
4th March 2005, 07:45 AM
Well, IR of the 90s are mostly a complete waste. Finding good ones are like looking for the provebial needle in the haystack. Good of you Ramki, to take your precious time looking for them, and at least drawing people's attention to them.

My thoughts on this matter has always been consistent. IR should have retired when the going was good and saved himself and his fans some embarrassment along the way.

And this is MY opinion.

madhu
4th March 2005, 08:03 AM
Hi!

Raveendran has given polish to his songs in "Rasikan oru rasikai" .. Though the original melody "thenum vayambum" is giving you a feeling of cool breeze.. the tamil version is having some "sOgam" in the lyrics... ( but athu kooda indha melody-kku help pannudhu !).

"kadhal veNNila" from lakshmi vandhachu and "manamE mayangAdhe" from kanmaniyE pEsu.. unforgettable ..

Raveendran was not utilised fully in TFM.... and it is not possible now !

From Mars
4th March 2005, 10:22 AM
Ramki, local TV reported that he had composed music for 6 Tamil Films, I'm not sure about the sixth one.
`

Ramki
4th March 2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks NOV

Madhu, i wanted to upload the songs you mentioned but didnt have them with me. And i didnt have time to get it from others either.

FM , 6th film? Malayalam dubbing maybe?You should know :lol:

From Mars
4th March 2005, 07:50 PM
Me :lol:
enaku theriyaathu ;)

madhu
4th March 2005, 10:18 PM
Hi Ramki!

I hv the MP3 of "Thenum Vayambum".. the original version of "pAdi azhaithEn". if u want to upload it ...I can send !

Thiru
4th March 2005, 10:34 PM
Nice song Ramki.. Raveendran was one of those unpopular, under utilized MDs... I remember Dharma devadhai had a couple of good songs too..

Ramki
5th March 2005, 04:08 AM
Madhu,
I do want to upload non tamil song in tfmpage, but please send the songs , i will keep it for my personal collection :wink

Ramki
5th March 2005, 04:59 AM
Pick # 61:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ennod_tm.rm

Song: ennodu ennennavo ragasiyam
Film: thoondil meen
Singers: Jayachandran, Swarna
Lyrics: vaali
Music : VKumar

Even though todays pick is inspired from 'bhool gaya sab kuch'(Julie), this is one of my VKumar favorites. Jayachandran and Swarna sound very fresh and young.
'thoondil meen' had real life couple(at that time),Lakshmi and Mohan in the lead . I have not seen the movie but I think it was about lakshmi getting blackmailed by her ex .
TM had another beautiful duet 'vaazhvil sowbhagyam'(PS,SPB)

madhu
5th March 2005, 05:07 AM
Hi..

a good selection... and a soft melody by Jayahcnadran is always nice..

BTW, Musicindia online is showing .. lyrics by "Alangudi somu".. can ne 1 clarify ?

(Of course, we can't rely on MIO...coz.. in the same page they are showing a song.."kalyana saappadu podava" in two different films.. Major chandrakanth(1966) and chandrakanth (1961) :wink: :lol: )

RC
5th March 2005, 05:10 AM
Nice song...I think all of the songs sung by Jayachandran is good.

I vaguely remember seeing Thoondil meen as a kid. I sort of remember the picturization of this song and Asokan, who acts as a policeman in this movie.

jn
5th March 2005, 05:27 AM
good one ramki.
Recently in sun tv, Swarna sang this song in paattukku paatu:)

Nitya
5th March 2005, 08:49 AM
You know, Ramki mentioned a real-life couple of Mohan and Laxmi, I would like to say I know a real-life couple by the names of Mohan and Laxmi. They are my father's friends, and live in New York City. Talk about coincidence!

Ramki
7th March 2005, 06:35 AM
Pick # 62:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/aayar_kk.rm

Song: aayarpaadi kaNnane
Film: kozhi koovudhu
Singer: SJanaki
Lyrics:Gangai Amaran

You will hate today's pick. Most of them do. If you had watched this movie in theatre you would have walked out to take care of 'urgent matters' or had you been watching the tape you probably might have forwarded it.

They why did i pick the song? Because its' a FUN song. Its enjoyable just for Sjanakis versatility. Its not easy for a trained professional playback singer to sing without shruthi, bhaavam or wavering pitch. Janaki does it with such ease you start wondering if Bindu Ghosh herself has sung the song(song picturised on her). Listen to the humming after the second charanam..its just hilarious.

I know you are going to hate it but give it another try. It's worth a smile :wink:

Nitya
7th March 2005, 07:58 AM
I have the song on an old, old tape recorded at about the time I was born (1984). This is one of those IR songs with 3 interludes and 3 charanams. S Janaki doesn't even sound like herself.

From Mars
7th March 2005, 11:35 PM
MV was totally out of shuruthi in 'poovE iLaiyE poovE', mmm what happended to IR? :)

Ramki
8th March 2005, 04:09 AM
FM are you sure?

Ramki
8th March 2005, 04:25 AM
Pick # 62:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ezhu_gm.rm

Song: ezhudhi ezhudhi pazhagi vandhen
Film: gumasthaavin magaL
Singers: Soolamangalam sisters
Lyrics:?
Music : kunnakudi vaidhyanathan

APNagarajan directed very few social films and GM is one of them. It had sivakumar, kamalhassan(villain),aarthi(GM of sanghavi) etc.
I'm not sure why APN chose kunnakudi over his favorite MD KVM.
Today's pick, though sounds like a vivididhbharathi 8am bhakthi paadal, is a good one .
I remember reading somewhere that Malysia Vasudevan sang a song in this film. This was before he sang in '16 vayadhinile'.

balaji
8th March 2005, 05:25 AM
Ramki

Thanks for this song, as I always that this was a Non-Filmi Song (may be APN added this popular Non-Filmi SOng)

I believe APN started using Kunnakudi after his disastrous film 'Guru Dhatchanai' with Puhalendhi in 1968. Isn't Vaa Raaja Vaa and Kan Katchi by APN/Kunnakudi combo. (Thirumal then Kumari/ Raja Raja Chozhan/Navarathinam/AGathiyar(?) are other films by the combo I think)

Thanks for the song as always
Bala

Ramki
8th March 2005, 07:38 AM
Balaji
I'm not sure about kaNkaatchi, but all other movies you mentioned
were by APN/KV combo.
I thought 'guru dhakshinai' was by KVM?

rajraj
8th March 2005, 08:10 AM
Ramki: Guru dhakshinai music was by Pugazhendhi. kaNkaatchi was also by APN/KV duo!

rajeshkrv
8th March 2005, 09:38 AM
Ezhudhi ezhudhi pazhagi vandhen

is a beautiful song
worth composition by Kunnakudi
& Good lyrics by Poovai senguttuvan

AArthi is a very talented Actress of Kannada Film Industry in 70's
she and kalpana stealed the show and they were really great artists.

she doesnt need an intro as Sanghavi's Grand mother

huh!!

Naaz
8th March 2005, 10:54 AM
Wow, what a find!
Ramki, this made my month! Have not heard this one in years!
Gumasthavin Magal was a bonafide three-hankie matinee, but Aarthi survived the depressing surrounds with poise - and the minimalest of aiyaiyos. A feat in itself, given the manipulative overdrive in screenplays from that time. Her performance, and the featured song - both stand-outs in a low-key, mature film.

madhu
8th March 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi !

I heard this film "Gumasthavin magaL " is based on the drama "President panchAtcharam" by S.V.Sahasranamam.. is it correct ?

rajraj
8th March 2005, 11:54 PM
madhu: President Panchaaksharam was made into a movie with the same title as many theatre productions were!

jn
9th March 2005, 04:31 AM
rajesh: indha Arthi vere thamizh padaththile nadichirukkaangalaa?
I haven't watched this movie.

Ramki
9th March 2005, 05:11 AM
rajraj and Naz thanks for the info

Naaz
9th March 2005, 05:30 AM
If you'd really like to sample Aarthi's cinematic calibre, I'd urge you to rent the Kannada opus Ranganayaki (Puttanna Kanagal, I think) It might be just as hard to locate as Gumasthavin Magal or Ezhudhi Ezhudhi, but worth every avenue of the search.

Ramki
9th March 2005, 05:45 AM
Pick # 63:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/aadha_vn.rm

Song: aadhavan ezhundhaan
Film: Vipranaarayana
Singer: AMRaja
Lyrics:S D Sundaram
Music : S.Rajeswara Rao

A must listen solo by AMRaja. The music, lyrics and the voice beautifully brings out the beauty of dawn.

'vipranarayana' is a telugu dubbing *ing Nageswara Rao and Banumathi. The film was produced by Banumathi. This followed after her successful production 'Malliswari'.

JN has posted the lyrics here

http://www.forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=70712#70712

Look at the lines:

maasatra udhayaththil baala baaskarano
ulagengum oLi veesi viraivOdu varuvaai

viri sEnai vaaridum malar thumbi ellaam
thaen undu isai vaanile thiriyume
aLLi aLLi veesum mullaiyin thenrale
vELai eedhe velai kaalai poosanaikke

maadhavaa sri ranga maadhava ayyaa
maadhavaa ranga emai paalikka vaaraai

parimaLa dhiravyangaL pala vidha malar kuviyal
kaiyile yaendhiye
kamadhenu adhanudan
kannaadi sevaikku maharishi maadhavarum
thudhi isai paada thumburu naaradharum
un sevai kaanave vaasalail ninraar
jegamengum un jothi azhagai
aanandha karunaiyin vizhi kaaNa kaathu ninradhuve

The lyricist, whoever he is, has done a magnificient job.

Couple of threads on SRajeswara Rao

http://tfmpage.com/ppp/rajrao.html
http://tfmpage.com/forum/24769.21.17.53.html

jn
9th March 2005, 10:01 PM
beautiful song ramki.

There is another melodious song in vipranarayana by A.M.Raja...yogamadhe ezhilaam
kannan yogameadhe ezhilaam
I guess this movie is on krishna bakthar???

madhu
9th March 2005, 10:51 PM
Jn !

vipranarayana is the story of thondaradipodiyazhvaar ! (appada !)

rajraj
10th March 2005, 04:31 AM
Ramki: Lyrics for Vipranarayana was by S.D.Sundaram!

jn
10th March 2005, 04:37 AM
thanks madhu and Raj.
Madhu: I should have known from the lyrics of aadhavan ezhundhaan:) andha "appadaa"..edhukku?:)

Ramki
10th March 2005, 04:42 AM
mmm somehow(or someone) mine, Madhu's and Raj's posting from afternoon got deleted

jn
10th March 2005, 05:36 AM
ramki: mine too:) thirumbi post pannirukken mele:)

Ramki
10th March 2005, 05:52 AM
Pick # 64:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/dhisai_ukp.rm

Song: dhisai maari poyaachu manasu
Film: unnaiye kalyaanam pannikiren
Singer: Rajesh
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music : Sandeep Chowta

I think it was middle 90's when i first listened to the telugu original 'eto veLLi poyindhi manasu' of today's pick. I thought 'oh SPB sounds so young and different' but later found out it was sung by a new singer Rajesh. Rajesh became quite popular after this film. SAR brought him to tamizh for 'megamai vandhu pogiren'(ThuLLadha manamum thuLLum).
UKP ('Ninne Pelladatha' in telugu) had Nagarjuna, Tabu, Manju bhargavi, chandramohan etc. NP was directed by Krishavamsi, his first directorial venture. Unlike NP which was a superduper hit, the tamil and hindi versions came and went unnoticed.
'Grekaveeradu' is another super hit song from this film.
I think this is also sandeep chowtas first film .

Ramki
10th March 2005, 05:53 AM
jn :(

Ramki
10th March 2005, 05:56 AM
Raj,
Lyricist name added to 'aadhavan ezhundhaan' song. Thanks

RC
10th March 2005, 07:01 AM
Ramki: was this movie, a sort of, rehash of Hum Aapke Hain Kohn? I remember reading something like that.

madhu
10th March 2005, 07:22 AM
JN : "Appada" pottadhu avLO periya azhvar perai type panni mudichachukkaga ! :P

Ramki
10th March 2005, 07:25 AM
RC it could be. padam paarkkalai

rajraj
10th March 2005, 07:46 AM
madhu: enna indha oorkkaran maadhiri pesureenga! neeLamaana peyar namma ooru vazhakkamaache! :)

madhu
10th March 2005, 10:30 PM
Raj :

enna irundhalum thondaradipodiyazhvar... enru type pannuvadhu konjam kashtam illaiya ?

From Mars
11th March 2005, 02:26 AM
Ramki, padam vandhichO theriyala, aanaa paatu Devathai paatu release aanapO vandhathu. Year marandhiduchu, CD coverila Thabu padam thaan pOtirukku :)

Ramki
11th March 2005, 05:53 AM
Pick # 65:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/naalu_ns.rm

Song: naaLum en manam
Film: nilavu suduvathillai
Singers: SJanaki, krishnachander
Lyrics: ?

This is one of the 80s IR films that is still remembered just for the songs.
'poove pani poove'
'paarijaadham pagalil poothadhe' and today's pick are 5 * gems.
Todays pick is vintage IR song. The starting music and the interludes are classic IR.

Krishnachander did not sing many songs but all the songs he sang are hits
Some examples:
'edho mogam'(kozhi koovudhu)
'poovaadai kaatru'(gopurangaL saivadhillai)
'pudichaalum pudichen'(")
'aLLi vacha malligaiye'(with PS from 'iLamai idho idho')

He is married to actress Vanitha . Their daughter amritavarshini came as a participant in jayatvs 'raagamaalika'. She was just amazing. She sang kaNNa karumai nira kaNNa and thamthana thamthana thaaLam varum(with sudha raghunathans daughter) to total perfection.

RC
11th March 2005, 06:48 AM
pudichaalum pudichen is also from gopurangal saivadhillai, I think, picturised on Mohan and Radha!

madhu
11th March 2005, 07:45 AM
Hi !

Krishnachander sang one more song "thenRal ennai muthamittadhu" with Sasirekha from "oru Odai nadhiyAgiradhu"

RR
11th March 2005, 08:31 PM
Great pick..! sure it's vintage IR stuff..

Krishnachander's another hit - 'thaamara poovukkum' (pasumpon)

vijayr
12th March 2005, 12:01 AM
The telugu version of this song "premaledhani" from the film Abhinandhana is quite popular and I didnt hear this tamil version until recently. I heard that IR songs usually made their way from Tamil to telugu and not vice versa. SPB ruled the song in the telugu version. Abhinandana had a couple of other classic IR songs too. Krishnachander is a sorry excuse for a playback singer (like Malaysia Vasudevan,Mano and some other IR pets), glad that he got limited opportunities to maul decent tunes.

Naaz
12th March 2005, 01:26 AM
Naalum En Manam is a lingering tune.
I wish I could say the same about the singing. KC is borderline adequate, but SJs shruti shifts within ONE line (and there are many in the song) scrambles the distinction between formal and flub - effortlessly. And the higher Cs...don't get me started :roll:

If MVD, Mano, VJ, UR, Sasirekha - the other voices utilised by the IR of the 80s were/are (allegedly) below par, then all I can muster is somebody is missing the biggest (pet) elephant in the (recording) room.

Ramki
14th March 2005, 05:37 AM
Pick # 66:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ravi_va.rm

Song: ravivarman ezhudhadha kalaiyo
Film: Vasanthi
Singers: KJYesudoss, Chitra
Music : Chandrabose

'vasanthi' was one of Mohan's desperate(and unsuccesful) attempts to retain his position as a hero. He was paired with Madhuri. Devi Lalitha played his sister's role.
Despite produced by prestigious AVM , the film bombed badly.
Chandrabose came out with 2 good songs, 'sandhosham kaaNaadha' and today's pick.
'sandhosham kaanadha' was a vividhbharathi favorite. Even coimbatore/tiruchi radios played the song again and again.
'ravivarman ezhudhaadha' despite having wonderful lyrics by VM, did not get much air time.
DeviLalitha, daughter of drama actress Prema,was TNagars Saradha vidhya school topper in +2.
She made her debut in Nethajis'unnidathil naan'. She then acted in few tv dramas. KB gave her leading roles in his kannada remakes of 'irukodugaL', 'sollathaan ninaikkiren' etc. She's now totally disappeared from tv/movies.

madhu
14th March 2005, 06:15 AM
Hi !

good pick Ramki ! As u mentioned, we heard "santosham kAnadha" always .. but this song ..? very rarely...

Though from a flop movie.. a good melody is always bouncing back into our memory after many years, like a fresh song......illaya ?

rajdes
14th March 2005, 06:48 AM
Sandosham kaanadha was a rip-off from a ghjazal I think. It went "aa ja re, aa ja re..". If I am not wrong, VJ was involved and Naaz should know.

From Mars
14th March 2005, 08:52 AM
sandOsam kaaNaatha has two version, one by KSC too.

Ramki
15th March 2005, 04:16 AM
Madhu very true.

rajdes i remember reading 'sandhosham' is based on raagam bhageswari. Could the VJ song be based on same raaga too?

Ramki
15th March 2005, 04:41 AM
Pick # 67:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/naan_ay.rm

Song: naan thedum podhu
Film: avaL yaar
Singer: Raghunath Panigrahi
Lyrics: Lakshmanan
Music : SRajeshwarRao

Pt.Raghunath Panigrahi is a famous Oriya singer who has sung some memorable telugu oldies. SRS brought him to Tamil for 'avaL yaar'. As far as i know he sang 2 songs in 'avaL yaar'
'kaN kaanum minnalthaano' and todays pick.

His voice sounds like an amalgamation of Talat Mehmood, Ghantasala and PBS voices

Manisegaran refers to these songs in 'TFM analogies' thread.

http://www.tfmpage.com/my/mani/analogies.html.

Does anyone know who acted in 'avaL yaar'? I remember it as Sivaji and Padmini but not very sure.

rajraj
15th March 2005, 05:20 AM
Ramki: AvaL yaar cast: Sivaji,Sowcar Janaki, Pandaribhai.

Ramki
15th March 2005, 05:50 AM
Thank you Raj

madhu
15th March 2005, 07:28 AM
HA ! thanks Ramki!

you remind me of my childhood days, when my dad sings this song..(of course he was a good singer..).. I use to sit and listen..Till now I never heard this song other than once or twice in RAdio Ceylon .. long back.. nice to hear again.. :P

I know the singer is one Mr.Panigrahi.. I heard that he has sung one more popular song too.. But I forgot.. ne idea ?

rajdes
15th March 2005, 08:57 AM
Ramki, Bhagesri is correct, AFAIK. But inspiration is too complimentary a word for this instance. It is an exact copy.(like megame megame)

Ramki
15th March 2005, 06:03 PM
I know the singer is one Mr.Panigrahi.. I heard that he has sung one more popular song too.. But I forgot.. ne idea

Madhu,
I'm aware of only these 2 songs.

rajdes,
Thanks

Ramki
16th March 2005, 04:51 AM
Pick # 68:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/udal_km.rm

Song: udal thazhuva thazhuva
Film: kaNmani
Singers: Mano, Minmini
Music :iLaiyaraja

Song sponsor - RC (Thanks RC)

'Kanmani' had Prashanth, Mohini and kasthuri??. Other than this song, i do not know anything else about this movie.
RC help!!!

Minmini came to TFM debut because of Mano. Both are out of field now.
Mano is in the news again, but this time its for all wrong reasons :(

madhu
16th March 2005, 04:54 AM
Hi!

Just happened to see the movie last week.. in some channel..
Prashanth and mohini ( so fat !!) are just coming, standing and going in the film.. better performance is by lakshmi (???), mother of hero !

RC
16th March 2005, 05:10 AM
I think this is directed by R.K.Selvamani (Roja's vootkaar!) I havent seen this movie. I'm very positive that FM will have more information to add. :)

From Mars
16th March 2005, 09:40 AM
RC :) I have no idea about the movie, though I have seen this song. The song takes place in a pool.

crvenky
16th March 2005, 10:29 AM
I think Kanmani had Netru Vandha Katru sung by IR (which was Karthik Raja's tune for Grahan)

rajeshkrv
16th March 2005, 10:53 AM
kanmani directed by R.K.Selvamani had prashanth,mohini and subashree(gentleman fame). Netru vandha kaatru , aasai idhayam viriyum, udal thazuva thazhuva, luzla j busla were famous songs.
lakshmi,jaishankar,sujatha were other leads. Film was below avg
only saving grace was music by ir.

lyrics were by vaali & muthulingam

RC
17th March 2005, 03:12 AM
Are there any other movies by Prasanth & Mohini? I remember seeing bits of movie (in Raj TV, I think) with Prasanth and Mohini in srilanka (I think)!

Ramki
17th March 2005, 04:12 AM
RC, 'unakkagave vaazhigren'?? It had the 'peN venum nalla peN venum ' and 'oh krishna oh krishna raadhai naan' songs(MD: Deva)

Ramki
17th March 2005, 04:53 AM
Pick # 69:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/enannai_st.rm

Song: en annai seidha paavam
Film: sumaithaangi
Singer: Sjanaki
Lyrics: Kannadasan
Music : Viswanathan-Ramamurthy

This is one of the most underrated song of 60s. The song is so obscure that i was aware of its existence only couple of years ago(Thanks to SUNTV kaaviya budhan).
Kannadasan's lyrics and Sjanakis voice makes this song magical. And the picturisation.
After Guru Dutt,I believe Sridhar is the only director who had great visuals in black and white films. The camera angles in his films were brilliant.
Picturisation of today's pick gives you a sad but eerie feeling. The darkness,the mist and devika clad in white saree almost gives a 'pei pada song' feeling.
'sumaithangi' is my favorite Sridhar film. Gemini and Devika came out with a subdued but class performance. Me, an ex-sambhar hater, became his fan after watching this film(and ofcourse punnagai).
I think sumaithangi was produced by PSVeerappa.

Thread on Sridhar pada paadalgaL

http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/21681.21250.13:05:56.html

rajraj
17th March 2005, 05:42 AM
Ramki: Sumaithaangi was produced by Kovai Chezhiyan.

madhu
17th March 2005, 06:45 AM
Ramki :

I think "Sumaithangi" is having only SJ's voice
solo :
"rAdhaikEtra kaNNano"
"en annai seitha pAvam"

duets:
"mampazhathu vaNdu"
"endhan pArvaiyin kELvikku"
any idea... who is the male singer for this dance song by Kamala ?
"malaiyai padaithavan iRaivan....vAnulagam deiva sugam"

Ramki
17th March 2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks Raj

Madhu,
was it ALR?

Most of Sridhar's film had atleast one song by SJ. Only Policekaarana magaL and sumaithaangi had all the female songs by her(except porandhaalum in PM)

balaji
17th March 2005, 08:14 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the soulful song!

It did get a fair amount of air time even though 'Manithan enbavan Deivamagalam' and "endhan pArvaiyin kELvikku" were better known songs!.

It reminds me of an old Hindi Song, but cannot get pin point the song!

The type of song where SJ rules!!

Thanks Ramki
Bala

RR
17th March 2005, 09:05 AM
Good find. Raga seems Hamir kalyani. This is the first time I'm hearing a sad song in this raga. Didn't sound odd at all.
balaji, you might know that this is a popular raga in film songs. Good example in hindi - 'aap yun hi agar' (ek musafir ek hasina). If you sing it in slow tempo (which is more apt for this raga IMO), the similarity is very clear cut.

AV
17th March 2005, 09:53 PM
" Good example in hindi - 'aap yun hi agar' (ek musafir ek hasina). "

I think this is Kedar.

RR
17th March 2005, 10:12 PM
AV,
Yes, it's HK's hindustani counterpart. I haven't found Kedar any different from HK so far.

usriba81
18th March 2005, 01:30 AM
That kanmani song is by Minmini? Sounds like Janaki. But IMO Minmini's voice has similarities with Janaki's anyway.

Ramki
18th March 2005, 04:26 AM
'PM' from sulochansari for 'naan thedum podhu'

sivaji acted in that film as judge. but as per my knowledge it was dubbed for some reasons. I am searching this song for a long time. please note Ragunath panikrahi sang this only song. can u help me in hearing this song. sridhar gemini
nanganallur

Ramki
18th March 2005, 05:00 AM
Pick # 70:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/sippi_yyk.rm

Song: sippiyin uLLe muthaadum
Film: yaarukku yaar kaaval
Singers: PSusila, SPB
Lyrics: vaali?
Music : KJ Joy

This is a beautiful duet by Malyalam MD KJ Joy. I believe this is his only Tamil film. 'kaadhal radhiye gangai nadhiye'(SPB,SJ) is another excellent duet from'YYK'.
I think Yaarukku yaar kaaval had srikanth and sripriya, but I'm not very sure.

Todays pick is ilangai vaanoli favorite and i remember listening to it in vividh bharati too.

jn
18th March 2005, 05:40 AM
ramki: one of my favourite SPB and PS combo songs:)
Thanks.

Naaz
18th March 2005, 08:54 AM
This is another find in one week! A duet I have not heard in many years; a duet even the ghosts of Vividh Bharati had stopped humming in my memory! Spooling for good now! Thanks, Ramki.

SN23
18th March 2005, 10:18 AM
That bit of humming by PSuseela before "ondralla aayirangal" is simply superb.

Am surprised Srikanth singing duet with Sripriya :?

Another duet by SP bala & PS in the same period, I think. mmm mmmm santhosha nerangal... mmm mmmmm sangeetham kelungaL. Vijayakanth with Sripriya :roll:

Who was the MD? Chandrabose? Ramki, indha pattu unga collections-la irukka ?

Ramki
19th March 2005, 04:27 AM
SN23 i dont have that song..but is it from 'pournami nilavil'?

RC
19th March 2005, 05:07 AM
Ramki: are you referring to Paarvayin marupakkam, I think, where Vijayakanth paired with Sripriya?
Pournami nilavil, I think, had vijayan where he is fed poison and becomes a snake man(?)

Ramki
19th March 2005, 05:12 AM
RC it could be paarvaiyin marupakkam..but i thought it was in PM Vkanth becomes a snake man(or his eyes becomes snake eyes) ? :)

madhu
19th March 2005, 06:12 AM
RAmki :
"santosh nerangal" is from PM... and of course vijaykanth becomes snake man trying to kill Sripriya.. often changing his contact lense... (in the sequence of another song by VJ.. dEvadhai puriyum thavnagaL) :P

RC
19th March 2005, 08:24 AM
I thought he hypnotises and then kills his enemies in that movie..

Naaz
19th March 2005, 09:59 AM
The snake stuff is hilarious! It was never goats or cows or buffalo which turned into humans to avenge great wrongs (you'd think those in the list would have enough reasons!) but always the Snakes. The homo-reptilian highpoint was the serpent curving up Jai Chitra's midriff and opening into a hood in VKV. Such daring eroticism! :-)

There was another movie around this time, an english one, which was rather popular, where the title flared into ssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSnake! It had a good run in Chennai!
My anglo-indian school teacher was so taken with Enngal Kula Deivam, she arranged a field trip for us to the matinee!!

On the subject of VK, he starred in another eye-popper called Sivandha Kanngal (?) with Swapna. It has a nice duet, but I don't recall how it goes now.

madhu
19th March 2005, 06:50 PM
RC :

adhu pambu paiyana.. illai mayakkara Asamiya .. ninaivu illai.. but..
adikkadi kannula color mari mari varum.. adhu mattum ninaivu irukku :lol: :lol: :lol:

RR
19th March 2005, 08:34 PM
RC, metoo remember it as 'hypnotic'. Andha kaalathula romba aarvamaa poi paartha padam..

Ramki
21st March 2005, 03:51 AM
Pick # 71:

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/intha_sk.rm

Song: indha peNNodu pirandhadhu
Film: samaiyalkaaran
Singers: Sjanaki, Vanijairam
Lyrics:
Music : MSV

There are remakes like Thillumullu, punnagai etc that are better than the original. There are remakes that are as good (or equally bad) as the original, like the recent kaNNaadi pookal or several KBalaji films
Then there are remakes that are so bad, those directors has to be hunted down and prosecuted(Eg. pallandhu vaazhga, samayalkaaran etc).
samayalkaaran is an atrocious remake of hindi classic 'bawarchi'.
Bawarchi is one of Hrishikesh Mukherjee's best.
Its about a cook(Rajesh khanna-brilliant performance) who enters a large joint family that's on the verge of breaking up. The family discovers that the cook is not only a chef but also a dancer, singer, poet etc. He wins over everyone and become everyone's favorite. When the family finally starts to bond again , the cook disappears.
Who is he? When you learn the truth at the end, it will bring a smile to your lips and tears in your heart. The ensemble of cast including AKHangal, Jayabhaduri, Durga khote etc came out with brilliant performance. This is a movie to watch and treasure.

Then came the disastrous samayalkaaran. Where Rajesh khanna was classy and dignified, MuKaMuthu was disgustingly crass.
The only redeeming aspect of SK was MSV's songs.
'naan paadum kavithaiyin sandham'(TMS) and todays pick are noteworthy contributions by the maestro.
Venniraadai Nirmala played JayaBhaduri's role.

Today's pick is a rare song from a rare combo-SJ and VJ. Their only other song together is 'ponne boomiyadi' (manidhargaLil ithanai nirangaLa').

It might sound impossible, but there are also fans of Mu.Ka.Muthu. :roll: There is a whole thread dedicated to his songs :)

http://tfmpage.com/forum/20784.22.42.29.html

For a complete list of 'samayalkaran' song, click

http://www.indofilms.com.au/home/myfilms/language/movie/details.jsp?oid=27315&language=Tamil

SN23
21st March 2005, 10:00 AM
ramki, this is really rare, though not very impressive. Who acts on film (Nirmala + ??).

VJ & SJ sang together Machanai paradi also from thanga magan (I think).

madhu
21st March 2005, 11:04 AM
The other dancer is M.Bhanumathi.. ( a tv, drama actress and heroine of "tiger thathachari")

yvsmani
21st March 2005, 05:42 PM
As usual, late posting.....

RC : I saw "unnaiyae kalyanam pannikiren " in Hindi. (almost like Hum aapke hain kaun) mainly for songs and of course, Nagarjuna.

If Ramki can send his mail id, I can provide more good songs from that film. "Thisai maari poyachchu" is the best one from that film.

RR
21st March 2005, 08:10 PM
This song is a real treat. Not often we get to hear songs so richly toned in Hindustani, yet sound good. That 'naLinam' part and later the swaras are just lovely.

Ramki
22nd March 2005, 04:38 AM
RR, I too thought the swaras were awesome

Ramki
22nd March 2005, 04:54 AM
Pick # 72

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/paadu_sk.rm

Song: paadu paadu bharatha paNpaadu
Film: sengotai
Singers: Chitra, Anuradha Sriram
Music : Vidhyasagar

'sengotai' is one good album by Vidhyasagar. I like almost all the songs.
While 'boomiye boomiye'(SPB,SJ), 'uchi mudhal paadham varai'(HH,Mithali) and today's pick are on the melodious side,
'viNNum maNNum'(Mano, Swarnalatha) and 'vennilaave veLLaipoove vaa'(Mano, chitra) were foot-tapping(and less irritating compared to VS current fast songs).
I watched 2/3 of sengottai and i thought it was not a bad movie.
It had Arjun, Meena and Rambha. I remember bits and pieces. The storyline from what i remember is as follows: Meena is accused of murdering a foreigner her family was hosting, Arjun is assigned to investigate her case. His fiance Rambha dies in a bomb explosion that was meant to kill Arjun.

Todays pick is for Meena and a white female. Vairamuthus lines are simple, plain and good. While chitra excels, AS justs gets to mouth ' wow beautiful ..i like it ' with an artificial accent :lol:

rajeshkrv
22nd March 2005, 10:10 AM
A nice song ..

btw Uchi mudhal in record had HH & mithali
but in film it was by Mano & mithali

Thiru
22nd March 2005, 07:28 PM
nice song and nice lyrics... my pick of the album was 'boomiye boomiye'... the violin piece at the end of the saranam makes me think that its an IR song... Another recent VS song which made me think like that was 'Athithom' from chandramukhi...

Ramki
23rd March 2005, 05:24 AM
Thanks rkrv

Thiru i have not listened to chandramukhi yet. Today oli played 'devuda' and it sounded like nimbuda song form HDDCS

Ramki
23rd March 2005, 05:58 AM
Pick # 72

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thiru_ne.rm

Song: Thiruthani muruga
Film: Neelagiri Express
Singers: PSuseela, Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi
Music : TKRamamurthy

'Neelagiri express' is a very special film to me as my late uncle played a very small role in that film. He passed away when i was an infant, so the only memory i have of him is from watching the film.
My uncle was a part time stage actor. He was working in AGS office along with KB, Major etc. He played Geminis role in the stage version of 'iru kodugaL'. He did few stage dramas. Neelagiri express is his only film role.

'Neelagiri express' is a typical Jaishankar thriller. Cho, vijayanirmala ,vijayalalitha, Asokan etc were his costars. Cho was one of this film producer.
TKRamamurthy did very few films after his professional divorce from MSV. Todays pick is one his memorable songs.

The song was picturised on Srividya and MBanumathi.
The other good song is 'naan kalaignan illai'(TMS).

PS:This will be my last pick for this week. I will be back with more songs next week.

SN23
23rd March 2005, 09:53 AM
This very good pair gave very good and sweet devotional film songs. The top of the list is always thiruparang-kundrathil nee sirithal. You do not see either of them overdoing. I think the period of these songs were without track-recording. Nice to imagine how the two sang together with a great devotion without loosing the sweetness in their voices.

Ramki, unga uncle peyarai (name) sollungaLen. If I also see the padam, let me remember.

Ramki
27th March 2005, 11:10 PM
SN23-It's Narayanan

Ramki
27th March 2005, 11:27 PM
Pick # 73

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/aanan_mm.rm

Song: aanandhame alaipayudhe
Film: Mathumalar
Singer: SPBalasubramaniam
Music : Gangai Amaran

When Me and Mano were hosting the 'rare songs' webpage there were many requests for this song.I finally got hold of this sweet melody by GA.
Madhumalar was a forgettable film by Santhanbharathy. It had Prathap and Suhasini in the lead. I remember watching this film but do not remember the story(Prathap dies in the end?).
'Vaanamae mazhai megame' is other good song from MM

Naaz
28th March 2005, 02:13 AM
Aanandhame Alaipayudhe....exactly my feeling on listening to this solo after nearly two decades! How do you manage to unearth these fine, lost treaures? It baffles me - pleasantly! (Can we expect Kadalodu Nadhikenna Kobam sometime? Or Raagangal Padhinaaru? Or Veenai Paesum Adhai Meetum Viralgalai Kandu? Or - this one has been a long time quest - Malaichaaralil Ilam Poonguyil? See how greedy I can be!!)

Ramki -
Did you get a message with a songfile from me a few weeks ago? Could you please confirm? Thanks.

Ramki
28th March 2005, 05:26 AM
Naaz your song is up next

Naaz
28th March 2005, 06:53 AM
Ramki -

I was only seeking a confirmation. There have been times when some of my messages/files have not reached their destination.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to rush you.
Look forward to listening to it here.

Thiru
28th March 2005, 07:06 AM
Nice song.. first time ippo thaan kekkaren... has SPB modulated his voice or is it the quality of the audio that makes it sound different? SPB voice sounds different initially..

Ramki
29th March 2005, 04:36 AM
T i think its the quality..this is the best i could manage from a very poor file:(

Ramki
29th March 2005, 04:48 AM
[tscii:807ce7ab94]Pick # 74

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thedi_sl.rm

Song: thedinen pudhiya
Film: ShankarLal
Singer: Malaysia Vasudevan
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran ?

Thanks to Naaz for sending this beauty. He writes:

If Malaysia Vasudevan were wine, he’d be Chilean. Red,
of course.
Robust in it’s wrestling of the palate, and an after
taste that’s muscular, unapologetic, with zero
vulnerability.
Wine for and just like the vintner that grew the
grapes: you can smell a richness of soil in the crush
- big and rugged.

But here, in this song, MVD is Spanish Rioja, light
and bracing like the early mists baked by the Seville
sun, wafting down red-tiled hacienda roofs to cloak
the yards.
The notes bear with them a hint of the past, a
snatched memory of Anbe Vaa and Pudhiya Vaanam, a ray
kissed bouquet of laughter and forgetting.
The composition, an early IR effort for TN Balu, uses
the walking stick to great metronomic effect. The
interludes are shards of daybreak dreams, awoken and
a-trot.

Sankarlal featured Kamalahaasan (two times,) Sri Devi
and Seema.
The usual lost-and-found, you’ve seen one you know how
they all end sort of venture. It was Manmohan Desai on
a sloppy budget and a lippy Seema fresh from the
mind-boggling (should that be mind?) success of
Avalude Raavugal. Her Ek Main Aur Ek Thu (in full)
dance intro (not so in full) in this film was not the
draw it was expected to be. But by then people had had
enough of Yaadon Ki Baaraat 1234, they couldn’t care
if any family, any where, was ever united again or the
hero got both his limbs locked in rail tracks and died
under a train. They might have even wished it were so
after YKB2 and it’s multilingual clones.

Indifference is such cruel revenge.
Sankarlal, the magician with a bag full of tired, old
tricks, cast a feeble, washed-up spell at the
box-office, and then was heard from no more.

The other songs I remember from the film are Kasthuri
Maan Ondru (SJ/ SPB) with a crazed Sri Devi prancing
(all thrust and glare) around pasty-white,
dark-glassed Arabs (!!) and Unnmai Endrum Vellum, (VJ)
where Seema (more see and less ma) gets predictably
physical, but this time in a last-ditch effort to save
her family from the oily, mustachioed don. O, the
circumstances!

This song is a fine vintage from Malaysia Vasudevan.
Proprietor’s Reserve, absolutely.

My 2 cents: The film was in making for a long time. Producer Balu died in the midst of the production. His son continued with enormous financial trouble. Kamalhassan helped him throughout and even returned the advance he received.
The film had another silly duet 'iLankiliye innum viLangaliye'(SPB,SJ)[/tscii:807ce7ab94]

Thiru
29th March 2005, 07:50 AM
beautiful song... on first hearing it sounded like kamal had sung this song in his 'ninaivo oru paravai' tone...

balaji
29th March 2005, 08:42 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the song

a. Enna Sir 'Ilankiliye' has SPB/SJ mouthing silly english words, but the song itself is a bubbly enjoybale song. One of the most frequently played song in ILangai Vanoli and a good job by IR. This I remember is the only song that had IR as the MD.
b. Isn't Gangai Amaran the MD for all the other songs inlcuding your selection? Surely the VJ number and is a GA number.

MV has sung the song well..

Thanks
bala

Naaz
29th March 2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks for featuring the song, Ramki.
MVD gets shortshrift around here (so does Mano) but his is a unique voice, and his songs have a charm all their own. And no flaws in this tamizh, either! ( I always think of MVD as the TFM counterpart of HFM's Mahendra Kapoor.)
Balaji is right. Both IR & GA were credited as MDs.

Ramki
30th March 2005, 05:05 AM
Balaji thanks for the correction. I still feel yesterday's pick is by IR.

regarding 'iLankiLiye'..Its a fun song i agree, but the lyrics and SPB,SJs yodelling makes it too silly :).

Ramki
30th March 2005, 05:16 AM
Pick # 75

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/mara_ka.rm

Song: maranathai eNNi kalangidum vijaya
Film: Karnan
Singer: Sirgazhi Govindrajan

Bhagawat geethai cannot be made more simple. Kannadasan proves again why he is the most liked lyricist of TFM.
And sirgazhiyaar..who else could have sung this song with so much clarity and purity?. Though in my opinion his voice did not suit NTR, i cannot imagine anyone else singing this gem.
Though all the songs in Karnan were mega hits , todays pick and 'poi vaa magaLe' are the least popular songs with the ungaL viruppam virumbis.

This song was discussed in detail by Kanchana in bhakthi padalgaL thread.

She wrote:

I don't have a favorite devotional song from TFM, but I do have a song which has impressed me very much since it discusses the meaning of life & death, duty, and the concept of God as the Universe. The song is the 3-minute movie version of the Bhagvad Gita and is from the movie Karnan.
The Bhagvad Gita as such is a complex philosophical treatise since it has an inherent duality to it: Krishna who as God is the Universe itself with no absolute meaning for good or evil, and Krishna who as Arjuna's mortal guide has to advise him to fight against evil for the betterment of the relative good by the code in Arjuna's human world. To condense and highlight some key ideas from this treatise must have been a challenge but has been done creditably by the lyricist. (Key words: Vijaya-one of Arjuna's names; aanmaa--soul; poatruvaar--those who praise; thootruvaar--those who decry; gaandeepam--bow.)

Before starting the Kurukshetra war, Arjuna sees the opposition's army (hiis uncles, cousins) lined up. Even his warrior heart shrinks from killing his own flesh & blood, and he asks Krishna how he can kill his people. Krishna explains to him how the soul never dies but continues to live. (The Gita explains in detail how, as part of the Universe, the soul never dies.)
maraNathai eNNi kalangidum Vijaya
maraNathin thanmai solvaen
maanidar aanmaa maraNam yeidhaadhu
marupadi piRandhirukkum
maeniai kolvaai.....maeniyai kolvaai

Arjuna then states that while Krishna knows everything, he knows only Him -- is this the right thing to do? Krishna then goes on to explain how He is the Universe and why Arjuna should not fail in his duty so that good can triumph by the standards of the mortal world. (The Gita talks about how one can help others do their duty by doing what we ourselves believe to be right.)
ennai arindhaai
ella uyirum enadhendrum aRindhu koNdaai
kaNNan manadhu kal manadhenroa gaandeepam nazhuva vittai
mannarum naanae makkaLum naanae maram sedi kodigaL naanae
sonnavan kaNNan solbavan kaNNan
thuNindhu nil.....dharmam vaazha...

Then Arjuna questions Krishna on the consequences of him performing his duty--wouldn't he be morally responsible for the killing? Krishna replies that He is responsible for everything--good or bad. (In the Gita, Krishna tells Arjuna to mentally resign all his actions unto Him, and be united in consciousness with Him, and to free his mind from delusions.)
puNNiyam idhuvendru ulagam sonnaal
andha puNNiyam kaNNanukkae
poatruvaar poatralum thootruvaar thootralum
poagattum kaNNanukkae
kaNNanae kaattinaan kaNNanae thaakkinaan kaNNanae kolai seiginraan
gaandeepam ezhuga nin kaivanmai ezhuga
ikkaLamellaam sivakka..........vaazhga

She also discussed this song in another thread. Here is what she wrote

What follows is a repeat of my earlier posting in another thread, but deserves to be mentioned here. Though embedded in the epic Mahabaratha and presented in the context of the Kurukshetra war as Krishna talking to Arjuna, the Bhagvad Gita per se is a secular document which communicates a philosophy/meaning of life. There is an inherent duality within the Gita which makes it self-contradictory and very tough to comprehend (personal experience!):
(1) Krishna, as God, who is the Universe itself with no absolute meaning for good or evil; (2) Krishna, as Arjuna's mortal guide, who has to advise him to fight against evil for the betterment of the relative good by the code in the human world.
It is a feather in kaNNadhAsan's cap to have communicated the essence of this complex philosophical document written in Sanskrit to us pAmaragaL in thamizh through a 3-minute movie song from karNan.

The Gita explains in detail how as an inherent part of the Universe the soul never dies.
maraNaththai eNNik kalangidum VijayA
maraNaththin thanmai solvEn
mAnidar AnmA maraNam eidhAdhu
maRupadi piRandhirukkum
mEniyaik kolvAi mEniyaik kolvAi
veeraththil adhuvum ondRu
nee vittu vittAlum avargaLin mEni
vendhudhAn theerum Or nAL

The Gita talks about how we can help others do their duty by doing what we ourselves believe to be right in this mortal world, and presents the concept of God as this entire Universe and more.
ennai aRindhAi
ellA uyirum enadhendRum aRindhu koNdAi
kaNNan manadhu kalmanadhendRO gANdeepam nazhuva vittAi
mannarum nAnE makkaLum nAnE
maram chedi kodigaL nAnE
sonnavan kaNNan kolbavan kaNNan
thuNindhu nil dharmam vAzha

The Gita elaborates on individual responsibility and the mental resignation of all actions unto God and be united in consciousness with Him.
puNNiyam idhuvendRu ulagam sonnAl
andhap puNNiyam kaNNanukkE
pOtRuvAr pOtRalum thootRuvAr thootRalum
pOgattum kaNNanukkE
kaNNanE kAttinAn kaNNanE thAkkinAn
kaNNanE kolai seigindRAn
gAndeepam ezhuga nin kaivanmai ezhuga
ikkaLamelAm chivakka...vAzhga

madhu
30th March 2005, 07:43 AM
Hi...

bhagawad gita in simple language.. so nice !

Naaz
30th March 2005, 08:56 PM
There aren't many living artistes who can sing a song of such grand simplicity with minimal to no music accompaniment. SG is simply beyond compare.
This monologue ought to be a prerequisite for every aspirant TFM singer.
No kidding. :D

I'd like to have the MP3 version of this song. Would you be able to send it to me? Thanks.

Thiru
30th March 2005, 10:36 PM
this piece really mesmerizes me everytime I listen to it.. SG was at his best in this one as well as 'ullathil nalla ullam'...

Ramki
31st March 2005, 06:01 AM
Pick # 76

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/chinna_sp.rm

Song: chinna thangam endhan sella thangam
Film: cheran pandiyan
Singer: KJYesudoss
Lyrics: Soundaryan
Music : Soundaryan

'Cheran Pandiyan' was a commercially successfull film that gave a good break to all the three Kumars -KSRavikumar,SarathKumar and Vijayakumar. But it didnt do anything for Soundaryan's Music career. IMO he's a better MD compared to Deva,SAR and few other R's. I liked his songs in cheran pandiyan,sindhunadhi poove, sundaram +2 etc.
Unfortunately other than cheran pandiyan none of the films he worked were successful. I'm not sure if hes doing Music for chinnathirai but we have not heard him in TFM for a long time.

Other songs in cheran pandiyan
kaadhal kadidham-Ramesh, Swarnalatha
vaa vaa vennilave-Chitra, Mano.

Today's pick is my favorite of the lot.

I have not watched this film but i heard it was not bad. Could anyone, who has watched the film, post the story line please?

balaji
31st March 2005, 08:34 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the song.

I though Vaa Vaa Endhan Nilave Vennilave was a solo by SPB. Played often on Sri Lankan stations.

Kangal Ondraga Kalandhadha is a duet by Mano and CHitra. THat was a good song too.

Used to be a Samba Naathu by Swarnalatha & ? (not sure).

The film was a good hit and ran 50 days in centers like Kanchi, Pondicherry and others...

Never seen, so not sure of the story.

Bala

sss
31st March 2005, 10:56 AM
Cheran Pandian celebrated 100 days in Coimbatore ( Thanam Thetre) and a function was held on 100th day. All star casts including director KSR partcipated in this function.

As per history Cheran and Pandian are brothers. ie. birth to different mothers. So this title.

' Kadal kaditham varanthen' also a super hit song !

rajeshkrv
31st March 2005, 12:22 PM
a nice song..

KAadhal kadidham was by Rajkumar & Swarnalatha

yvsmani
31st March 2005, 01:30 PM
there was a film released recently MDed by soundaryan. can somebody point it out??

chearan pandian had manjula, idhayam chithra also.

I like saambanaththu more than other songs.

From Mars
31st March 2005, 07:14 PM
Ramki, vaa vaa endhan nilavE vennilavE was a solo by SPB, I thought that this is the best from that film :)

there was another film, something starts with 'gopuram' *ing Touser and Sukanya.

Thiru
31st March 2005, 08:24 PM
Soundaryan also did the music for Anbu thollai, neruppu and Galatta ganapathy... He's scoring the music for Napoleon's 'Veeranna'...

From Mars
1st April 2005, 01:41 AM
Thiru, ippadi kooda padam irukka :)

Ramki
1st April 2005, 05:46 AM
Thank you all for the details and corrections

Ramki
1st April 2005, 06:10 AM
Pick # 77

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ponni_kk.rm

Song: ponni nadhi orathile
Film: Kuruvikoodu
Music : KVMahadevan

This beautiful, sweet and seducing song concludes our week of Male solos. This is one of the best SPB's solo in KVM's music.I apologise for the bad quality but you can still feel the mesmerism of SPB's voice. 'aekkam thaabam viragam' SPB adds all theabove in right proportions with his magical voice and makes us forget everything else.
This song always takes me back to my school day memories. Those were the days with only one Television channel and one vividhbharathi(Ceylon radio has its own moods:). We had this antique radio at our home, which often demanded a kind pat on his head to broadcast the radio waves. It was a huge radio with a mix of yellow and green color(I think it was a murphy radio). ungaL viruppam used to start at 8.30 followed by gopal palpodi and other commercials. Then the female voice would start announcing the songs and the names of the people who had asked for the songs. For one hour gems like 'Ponni nadhi' ,'naayagiye varuga', 'illam sangeetham' 'veedu thedi vandhadhu' etc would fill your ears and heart.
Gone are those golden days :( :)

'Kuruvikoodu' had Saritha and Sudhakar in the lead . It was one of the last few albums by KVM in TFM.
KK had another good duet 'vaNnathu poochi sirikkudhu'(SPB,PS).

madhu
1st April 2005, 06:18 AM
Hi Ramki!

thanks for bringing back the memories of those (g)olden days !

yes.. "vannathupoochi" was also aired umpteen times in radio..and one of my classmates often writes for the song in "ungaL viruppam"..

:roll: ... meendum varuma andha poRkAlam ?

BTW... the title music (appadi sollalAmA ? ) for ungaL viruppam is still same.. and whenever I hear it... I am going back..

"NayagiyE varuga" with the ramayana pasuram "nadiya poruL kai koodum" in the beginning .....by SPB is another gem..

Ramki
1st April 2005, 06:27 AM
Madhu glad to hear the 'title music' still exist. You know as soon as 'ungaL viruppam' gets over at 9.30 i will jump to Madras A. They will air 3 songs from 9.45 to 10.00. I distinctly remember listening to 'aedheho ennam'(Punnagai mannan) on the day of its release and instantly hated it because it was sung by chitra :)) Those days i hated any new song that was not sung by SJ..those were the days:)).

Do you remember the name of the film with 'naayagiye varuga' song?

madhu
1st April 2005, 06:49 AM
Ramki!

I forgot the film and the hero !.. but the heroine is Sathyakala..
this song comes when she goes up in the steps of kunrathur murugan koil by the hero... ( of course u can even see the vast lands behind the hillock and the take-off of a flight from meenambakkam airport !!)

Ramki
1st April 2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks Madhu..i remember the scene now. Are you sure its sathyakala? I remember it as the girl from manmadha radhangaL

Thiru
1st April 2005, 07:42 AM
Ramki thanks for those memories.. I remember a usual routine at our house..
7.40 - indru oru thagaval by Thenkachi ko. Swaminathan
7.45 - 8.00 ceylon radio new songs
8.30 - 9.30 Vividh bharathi's ungal viruppam
9.45 - 10.00 madras A 3 songs
10.00 - 10.30 Madras B oru pada paadal (during the later days)

I still cant believe how can you hate edhedho ennam valarthen :(.. That has to be among KSC's best 5...

madhu
1st April 2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Ramki!

that is Sathyakala only! I remember another song of her with Shivaji in Lorry driver Rajakannu.. "ennenbadhO yEdhenbadhO"....

balaji
1st April 2005, 08:12 AM
Ramki

Thanks for reminding the good old days

Isn't Nayagiye Varuga from 'Vadagai Veedu'. Think suman is the hero...

Bala

Naaz
2nd April 2005, 12:58 AM
I have never been to the banks of the Ponni, but this song took me there again ! :D
A great selection again. Thanks!

Ramki
2nd April 2005, 07:27 PM
Madhu thanks. I have been looking for 'ennenbadho' song for a long time..yaarkittaiyavadhu irundhaa anuppi vaiyungappa:))

T MadrasB used to play excellent song between 7.15-7.30 am.
'kaalai thendralil ethanai'(Mangai oru gangai) , 'putham pudhu ulagam'(kavidhai paada neramillai), 'azhaikkiraan maadhavan'(sri raghavendrar)were often played.
Its not i hate chitras voice..that age iwas so Obsessed on SJ's voice i couldnt listen to others. I did not watch 'en uyir thozhan' bcoz a film with IR-BR-noSJ combo was a no no to me :))

Balaji, It could be 'vaadagai veedu' but i'm sure the song was picturised on someoneelse.

From Mars
2nd April 2005, 09:35 PM
Yaarathu SJ fan ingE? :)

Ramki
4th April 2005, 04:08 AM
FM:)

Ramki
4th April 2005, 04:23 AM
Pick # 78

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kathu_kmk.rm

Song: kathum kadal uLLe
Film: kattumarakaaran
Singer: SJanaki, Mano
Lyrics: Vaali

'kattumarakaaran' was one of the several post chinnathambi prabhu-PVasu films that bombed at the B.O. Few reviews i read
didnot have much to say about the Music but when i watched the film on singapore tv, i thought the songs were quite good. I loved today's pick , 'vetri vetru endru sollum'(SPB,KSC) and one KJY solo.
This film also had some of the best sea shore shorts ever seen in tamil film.
The film is about a fisherman who literaly fishes a girl(new heroine..sanjana?sadhana? ) out of the sea. The girl has fled her impending marriage to the villain anandaraj. Prabhu and the girl fall inlove(duh !!) ..anandaraj come in search of her and after few fights the lead pair unite. I think shenbagam played the athaimagaL with oruthalai kadhal on the obese Prabhu.

Pooh
4th April 2005, 07:10 AM
I happened to see the movie.:(((
I think it was Sangavi who played the other girl. and wasn't there a song 'banana banana thinnaana thinnaana' or something like that

madhu
4th April 2005, 07:22 AM
Hi pooh !

and wasn't there a song 'banana banana thinnaana thinnaana'

:rotfl:

yvsmani
4th April 2005, 01:19 PM
is it like gulabi gulabi gulabi naan salam poattu aada vanthen paadi paarththene Hindi padam bobby ( or is it from some other film)

Hearing ponni nadhi, i immediately thought of ponni nadhi vellam ingu from muthal vasantham by IR

Ramki
5th April 2005, 04:41 AM
Pooh:)))

Thanks for the correction

Ramki
5th April 2005, 04:56 AM
Pick # 79

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/mogam_akv.rm

Song: mogam ennum raagam paadum
Film: aezhaikkum kaalam varum
Singers : PSuseela, KJYesudoss
Music :VKumar?

If the MD is indeed VKumar, then this is another one of his inspirations. The song,especially the pallavi, is a total rip off of 'kaNNan ennum mannan perai solla solla'(venniraadai). The music interludes remind me of several 70's hindi songs. Nevertheless the song is still a treat. KJY and PS sound so fresh and young.

When i was speaking to JN, she mentioned that Srikanth played a dual role in the film(thank goodness:)). One other good song from AKV is 'oraayiram karpanai'(SPB solo)

balaji
5th April 2005, 06:38 AM
Thanks Ramki!

Yes it is indeed by VK. The 'Orayiram Karpanai' is a wonderful piano number

I am not sure why Srikanth should not be acting in double roles. Srikanth is one of the best actors in the 70s be it comedian (ethir neechal), villan (Thanga Padhakkam), Angry young man (TP and Raja Nagham) and in a mature role (SNSM and Karunai Ullam). His acting in ONNP is very good too. Not a bad looking actor also..

He is far better than many actors of the 70s..

He killed his own career by indulging in pots with likes of Jayakanthan.

Had he been careful he could have easily raised at least in the level of Jai/Muthuraman but as a better actor

Anyway thanks for the song. An elangai vanoli favorite
Bala

madhu
5th April 2005, 07:49 AM
HI Ramki!

a nice song !

Orayiram karpani is solo for both SPB and PS !

I think, Srikanth, Subha and sukumari acted in this film.

Thiru
5th April 2005, 05:54 PM
Gulabi gulabi song is from maravan with prabhu and kushbu..
This is a nice song.. I forgot the north indian product name :(..

Ramki
6th April 2005, 03:28 AM
Balaji,
Other than the handful films you mentioned(I agree srikanth was very good in each of them), he acted in dozens and dozens of horrible films like 'agni parikshai','peNNukku yaar kaaval','ennadi meenakshi','deiva theerpu' etc etc. He did only couple of films with jaikanthan and i liked SNSM and ONP but most others were duds and excruciatingly painful.

Madhu Thanks

Thiru, hindi product?

Ramki
6th April 2005, 05:07 AM
Pick # 80

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/imaiy_sgs.rm

Song: imaiyum vizhiyum edhiraanaal
Film: sivagangai seemai
Singers : PSuseela, PSVeerappa(voice)

'sivagangai seemai' is one of the best tamil movies i have ever seen. It had an ensemble of stars like SSR, TKBhagavathy, Kumari Kamala, MNRajam, Tambaram Lalitha, SVaralakshmi etc and each actor gave an outstanding performance. TKBhagavathy and MNRajam were a treat to watch. I think SGS was produced by Kannadasan and was released at the same time as Veerapandiyakattabomman. Though both had a common theme, the latter was a smashing hit. SGS was a flop and Kannadasan was driven to a deep financial debt.
SGS had excellent music by viswanathan ramamurthy. The film had more than a dozen songs. The songs i remember are

veerangaL vaazhum Dravidar -TMS
Saanthu pottu thaLaLakka - P.Leela, Jamunarani
Chinna china chittu sivagangaiyai vittu- Jamunarani
Vaigai perugivara- C.S.Jayaraman, P.Leela
kannangaruthaa kiLi - P. Leela
Kanavu kandaen - TMS, Radha jayalakshmi
thanimai naerndhadho - S.Varalakshmi (beautiful song)
Thendral vandhu veesaadho - S. Varalakshmi and JR.

Todays pick is picturised on MNRajam and PSV. MNRajam tries to stop her husband from Collaborating with the enemy. He doesnt listen. Unable to stop him she kills him with his sword. This scene and the climax dance by Kumari Kamala are highlights of the film.

RC
6th April 2005, 06:50 AM
Ramki: Sivagangai Seemai certainly falls under "One of the Best Tamizh Movie" category. I remember watching this movie as a kid on the banks of Vaigai river during chithirai festivals, I think.

balaji
6th April 2005, 07:18 AM
Ramki

This is the first time I am hearing this song and thanks for the song selection.

After reading to your and RC's comments, I will surely add this film to the 'MUST SEE' List and will hunt for the video.

Thanks
Bala

madhu
6th April 2005, 07:46 AM
Hi Ramki!

female voice in kanavu kaNdEn is not Radha Jayalakshmi !
Of course I don't know.. may be some one like Bhagavathy .. Plz confirm !

rra
6th April 2005, 08:03 AM
Ramki, Madhu: Kanavu Kanden, set in the somewhat rare (for TFM) Mukhari raga, was sung by TMS, TS Bhagavathy.
RRA

rajraj
6th April 2005, 09:43 AM
Ramki: It is T.K.Bhagavathi not T.S.Bhagavathi who is a female singer. I think Sivagangai was a drama made into a movie.

SN23
6th April 2005, 11:47 AM
Ramki, though PS got only one song in this movie, this is a terrific song. She sang with lot of emtions.
As Raj said, the actor is TK Bagawathi (TK Shanmugam's brother). Kannadasan's favorite singer T S Bagawathi sang kanavu kanden song.

And Veera...bomman was also not a great hit when it was released for first time. I read in many articles. The second, and subsequent releases were running packed houses, it seems.

Ramki
6th April 2005, 04:48 PM
Thank you all for the inputs and corrections

Thiru
6th April 2005, 06:50 PM
ramki, i meant that mumbai import heroine in kattumarakaran...

Ramki
7th April 2005, 04:11 AM
Pick # 81

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/azhag_aak.rm

Song: azhagaana sandhangaL
Film: adhu andha kaalam
Singers : KJYesudoss, Vani Jairam
Music : Chandrabose

Chandrabose was the only MD who held his own against the tsunami of 80's , IR.
His songs were not innovative but simply impressive. He gave more importance to mettu and lyrics than instrumentation. Strong backing by AVM and Super* also helped in his survival. 'marumagaL', 'oru malarin payanam','poi mugangaL', 'madhura geetham', 'raasathi rosakiLi' are some of his good albums.

Today's pick is his rare attempt on a classical based song. IT's a piece of cake for veterans like KJY and VJ.
I have no other details on 'adhu andha kaalam'. FM thinks NizhalgaL Ravi and lakshmi might have acted in this film.
As always any more info is highly appreciated.

From Mars
7th April 2005, 07:48 AM
Ramki,
Lyrics is by VM. The raaga is "valachi".

RC
7th April 2005, 08:31 AM
FM: raagam perellam solli adichu pattaya kiLappureengaLee.. :o

Neel D
7th April 2005, 09:34 AM
Ramki,
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that "Athu Antha Kaalam" was produced by Valampuri John. The movie either never released or was a flop, and left John broke.

RR
7th April 2005, 12:15 PM
Cool pick. CB does throw in such surprises sometimes.

RC: Ippollaam FM-oda hi-fi sound system-la 'karakara' carnatic recordings thaan oduthaam. PSB speakers azhudhu polambarathaa news.

Ramki
7th April 2005, 04:47 PM
FM adhu enne 'valaichu'?:)

Thanks for the info NeelD

From Mars
7th April 2005, 06:42 PM
RR :)
KP, yes "valachi", there is only a minor difference between valachi and "M.Marutham" and it is "Ri". Infact VJ starts with that then adjusts to it :)

WOW FM knows something. :)

NeeL, I thought that movie got released. I saw the title somewhere, but I can't recollect.

8th April 2005, 02:59 AM
Chandrabose was the only MD who held his own against the tsunami of 80's , IR.

IR-a sadhi panni tsunami-nu sollitaangale :cry:

Ramki
8th April 2005, 03:55 AM
Pick # 82

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ennai_ari.rm

Song: ennai ariyaamale enadhuLLam
Film: manaiviye manidhanin maanikkam
Singers : Jamuna Rani, Jairaman
Music : ?

I have asked around , and the ones i asked, inquired around their but none seem to know anything about this cute song.
The female singer sounds like Jamuna Rani's, but i'm not sure.

Anyone who can fill in the '?'s will get a free mp3 version of any one of the past POW's (Your choice) :).

jn
8th April 2005, 04:03 AM
ramki:) I don't know anything about this song..Do you mind sending me the mp3 version?:)

Ramki
8th April 2005, 04:07 AM
jn:)

jn
8th April 2005, 04:36 AM
Ramki: I also think that the female singer is Jamuna Raani.

rajraj
8th April 2005, 06:10 AM
Ramki: I think the male singer is TMS in one of his first songs. Sounds like a song in a dubbed movie or tune copied from Hindi.

balaji
8th April 2005, 07:16 AM
Very nice song Ramki.

Song sounds some what familiar. May be as rajraj has mentioned may be it is a copied tune.

Jamuna Rani's voice is really sweet here.

Thanks
Bala

madhu
8th April 2005, 07:47 AM
Raj !

Is it TMS ? :P .. I doubt it !!

Ramki
8th April 2005, 04:48 PM
Raj,
The male voice sounds like a mix of PBS and Tiruchi Loganathan's voice.

balaji
8th April 2005, 06:19 PM
By any chance the above song is from the same film as the dubbed version of 'Kithna Badhal gaya Insaan, Sooraj Na Badhle, Chaandh Na Badhle' song. I heard the tamil version of that song and the mael voice in that song resembles the above duet song...

Bala

Thiru
8th April 2005, 07:12 PM
smashits.com has listed a 'Ennai ariyamale' song by TMS.. not sure whether its the same as this one.. (i cant listen to either of these songs at work)...
http://ww.smashits.com/associates/desimusiconline/index.cfm?Page=Audio&SubPage=ShowTracks&AlbumID=3602

jn
8th April 2005, 08:09 PM
thiru: both are the same. but some of the songs in the link you have given are not by TMS.

Ramki
11th April 2005, 04:19 AM
Pick # 83

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/azhage_tt.rm

Song: azhage thamizhe nee
Film: Thirumalai Thenkumari
Singers : Sirgazhi Govindarajan, Manorama, LREswari, ALRaghavan, Madhuri, MRVijaya, SaraLa, LRAnjali,Dharapuram Sundararajan
Lyrics: Poovai Senguttuvan,Shylashree,K.K.S.Kumar and Ramshree
Music : Kunnakudi vaidhyanathan

This is a week of New year's for South Indians. While ugadhi was celebrated yesterday, tamizh varushapirappu and Vishu will be celebrated on 14th. Today's pick covers all the 4 main south indian languages.

Sirgazhi and SaraLa start with the thamizh lines 'amudhe thamizhe'. Madhuri neatly blends in with the cute Malayalam lines'kaNNugaL poothu'. MRVijaya follows with a lovely 'krishna daasina' in Kannada. This is followed my Manorama's chennai thamizh 'paadanunnu mansukule' .
LREswari then starts the telugu lines 'bangaraiyaa' and the song ends with the funky tamizh 'ooreelaam paaru'.

'Thirumalai Thenkumari' is one of the 'road movie' of the 70's that was filled with humor and spirituality. It had a kadhambam of actors.
Today's 7 minute song was picturised on several actors including sirgazhi, sivakumar, kumari padmini, Manorama, suruLirajan, Ramaprabha, Asakunthala etc.

Other good songs from TT

thirupathi malai vaazhum(SG)
Madhurai arasaaLum(SG,LRE,MRV)
Gurvaiyoorapa (SG)

I Think this is the only APN film without a single song by PSusila.

rajraj
11th April 2005, 05:42 AM
Ramki: The lyricists: Poovai Senguttuvan,Shylashree,K.K.S.Kumar and Ramshree. There is one more singer identified: Dharapuram Sundararajan.

madhu
11th April 2005, 07:57 AM
Hi... nice one Ramki!

though I am unable to clearly memorize the lyrics.. still its in my mind..
the other songs from the films are ..
the film covers six places in south india..
Thirupathi - thirupathi malai vazhum
ThiruthaNi - sindhanaiyil medai katti
then comes Mysore... but instead of a song on Chamundeswari..
APN added this song... in the bus...
Madurai - Madurai arasaaLum
Guruvayoor - guruvaayoorappa
Kanyakumari - neela kadal vEgathilE

balaji
11th April 2005, 08:05 AM
Ramki:

timely song, good choice! I believe neither Agathiyar nor Kan Katchi had any Susheela Songs. I remember the female voices were LRE, TK Kala (Thayil chirandha Koyil) and MRVijaya.

Some experts can confirm..

Rajraj

Thanks for reminding about P.S, whose many songs are/were mistaken to be written by KD by ordinary souls like me. His 'Thiruparakundrathil..' and 'Thirupugazhai pada pada..' are simple and excellent devotional songs.
Did he not write 'Poove Sempoove' for IR later?

Bala

balaji
11th April 2005, 08:08 AM
Also Mel Nattu Marumagal, I believe did not have any Susheela song...

Bala

Ramki
11th April 2005, 05:34 PM
Corrected. Thanks Raj

Balaji you are correct. I think KV's albums rarely had PS. After VJ's entry he started using only her for movies like raaga bandhangaL etc

RR
11th April 2005, 06:41 PM
Two good PS solos during the latter days of KV that I like:

1. maalai vanna maalai - thiruvarul
2. aenindha mouna raagam - thodi raagam

Thiru
11th April 2005, 06:46 PM
I remember watching this movie in Vijay TV a few years back... I think surli rajan is manorama's husband and a drunkard...

Ramki
12th April 2005, 04:19 AM
Pick # 84

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/velli_mm.rm

Song: veLLi kolusu
Film: Manase Manase
Singers : Chitra, UnniKrishnan
Music : Aadhityan

I got hold of a CD that had the combination of 'kaNNodu kaaNbathellaam' and 'Manase Manase'. Until then i was under assumption that todays pick is from the film 'PaarvaigaL'. I'm not sure if the song was first recorded for 'paarvaigaL' and later used in MM. Anyways this is a soft melody by Aadhityan sung well my chitra and UK. It was a popular song in Oli in the late 90's.
I do not have any other details on MM. The MM section of the CD had one more solo 'chembaruthi' by Mano.
(It is highly unfortunate that most of the CD's do not print the lyricist names)

From Mars
12th April 2005, 06:39 AM
KP,
nop. It's from paarvaikaL. Ramiy always had false information. The Lyricist is Ka.Mu. Arangan :)

Ramki
12th April 2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks FM

rajeshkrv
12th April 2005, 04:55 PM
the famous
"nadhanai Kandenadi " from Raja raja cholan is by PS
Music: Kunnakudi Vaidhyanathan

Ramki
13th April 2005, 04:18 AM
Pick # 85

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/parth_mk.rm

Song: pArththAl pasi thIrum
Film: Mangaiyarkarasi
Singers: P.U.Chinnappa, P.Kannamba
Lyrics: kambadasan
Music: G Ramanathan, Kunnakudi Venkatarama Iyer, C R Subbaraman

Thanks to NeelD for sending this rare song. He writes

'Mangaiyarkarasi ' was eleased in 1949

"pArththAl pasi thIrum" is a famous song by P.U.Chinnappa. His solo
version has always been available, but I came across this duet version
only recently. Knowing that Kannamba is a singer and that this song is
for herself in the movie, I am crediting the female voice of this song
to Kannamba.

Managaiyarkarasi, starring four legendary actors, P.U.Chinnappa,
P.Kannamba, Anjali Devi and Padmini, was released in 1949.
P.U.Chinnappa is a handsome prince married to Kannamba. Anjali Devi, an
Apsara from Devalokam, covets Kannamba's husband. She takes him captive
to her world and keeps him in her palace, all in the hope that some day
he will marry her. In the meantime, the King suspects that Kannamba may
not be a woman of character (he sees her talking to a stranger) and
decrees that she be executed. But the killers feel sorry for Kannamba
and let her go (or may be some supernatural power makes them faint and
she escapes out of the kingdom.) She takes refuge in a kind-hearted
villager's hut, and gives birth to a beautiful baby boy. As she
struggles as a poor single mother chased by womanizers, she finds
herself in a situation where some forest dwellers steal her baby for a
sacrifice to Goddesss kALi. Suddenly, some soldiers barge in and stop
the sacrifice. They take the baby with them to the palace. The baby
grows into the young P.U.Chinnappa. Kannamba still lives a wretched
life and one day, when she is walking down a street, she faints from
thirst and hunger. A woman who happens to be a "madam", comes to her
aid and takes her to her brothel as Kannamba still retains much of her
beauty. Just as Kannamba is trying hard to preserve her dignity in the
brothel, in a strange twist of fate, the young P.U.Chinnappa comes face
to face with Kannamba. Not knowing that she is his mother, he falls in
love with her. When he returns to his palace he sings this song
thinking about her. In his imagination Kannamba sings back to him. But
when you listen to the song you will notice that his lines to her
express romantic love, while her lines to him express parental love.

If you are wondering where Padmini fits in this story - the gorgeous
Padmini, still in her teens, and her sister Lalita, perform a dance at
the sacrifice festival.

Thread on PUChinnappa which includes other songs from mangaiyarkarasi

http://tfmpage.com/forum/5273.14052.01.10.49.html

Ramki
13th April 2005, 04:49 PM
Continuation of the PUC thread

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=2370

Thank you Raj for the PM

Ramki
14th April 2005, 05:12 AM
Pick # 86

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thamiz_omek.rm

Song: thamizhe thamizhe ennuyir thamizhe
Film: oru maanavi en kaadhali
Music: Shankar Ganesh

This is a rare song by the SG duo. SPB singing makes this simple song sound excellent. The song has good lyrics by ??(Vaali).
The song praises kavignar kannadasan(
isaiyarasu thamizharasu thaane
engaL kavi arasu kaNNadhasan thaane)
But i dont understand the line - namadharasu thamizh moziyilthaane??.

I have no other details of this odd titled film. Did it even get made?
who knows but the song is a real treat.

rajraj
14th April 2005, 05:21 AM
Ramki:
'namadharasu thamizh mozhiyilthaane' refers to the language of administration and law for our (Tamilnadu }government (namadhu arasu).

RR
14th April 2005, 07:50 PM
Raj, can you confirm if 'paarthaal pasi theerum' is in senjuruti? Nice find.

Naaz
14th April 2005, 08:18 PM
This is an extraordinary song (Paarthaal Pasi Theerum) and I have not heard the voice of Kannamba (I remember how prominently her Kannagi was featured in Annakili!!) and that is what makes this song a find. Thanks for this rare moment, Neel D. Haaiya 1940s-kku oru paattodu parandhu pona maadhiri thonaradhu! (why the erumbu font glitch in the reprinting of the write-up here? :( )

My best wishes to all TFM rasigars and their families!

Ramki
15th April 2005, 05:16 AM
Pick # 87

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/madhu_mm.rm

Song: madhu malargaLe dhinam
Film: magane magane
Singers: SJanaki, Malaysia Vasudevan
Music: iLaiyaraja

'Magane magane' is one gem of an album by IR and the movie is still remembered just for the songs. . The film had Manju Bhargavi(her only thamizh film after shankarabaranam), karate Mani, Suresh and Poornima Rao('oru pullankuzhal adupoothugiradhu' fame).
I remember 4 songs from MM , 2 SJ-MV duets and 2 PS solos.
'malligai poovukuL' is an enchanting duet
'per solla' is a soft lullaby and 'magane magane' is a heart rendering solo . The last 2 songs are by PS for MB.

The movie did not last for a week . I do not remember reading a single review but the songs were played often.

SN23
15th April 2005, 10:23 AM
magane iLa magane is a terrific song, ramki.

MB acted in balanagamma also, in a -ve role with sudarshan. Sridevi was heroine.

Ramki
15th April 2005, 05:37 PM
SN23 i thought MB appeared only for a dance scene in BN?

app_engine
15th April 2005, 07:08 PM
"her only thamizh film after shankarabaranam"...raises the following silly questions:

1. Shankarabaranam being a TF, can we also count Sagarasangamam (salangai oli) where she had a dance? (Marriage scene, balakanaga...)

2. Did she have any Tamil F before shankarabaranam?

Ramki
15th April 2005, 09:10 PM
app_engine

1)'unnaiye kalyaanam pannikiren 'is another dubbed film with MB

2)She had 2 minute role in Billa ,yemanukku yeman and Deepam before SB

app_engine
15th April 2005, 09:44 PM
Amazing...Ramki...nadamAdum cini-cyclopaedia:-) en silly questions'kkum answerA? yammAdiyOv!...

madhu
15th April 2005, 10:22 PM
Hi !

Manju Bargavi is one among the four dancers with Shivaji in s song from the film "nallathoru kudumbam"..

I forgot the song ! :P

Thiru
15th April 2005, 10:43 PM
digression...

Ramki, your previous Pow 'ennai ariyamale' was played in oli today.
The movie name is manaiviye manithanin maanikkam and it was sung by jamuna rani and jayaraman (not C.S)...

Ramki
16th April 2005, 02:52 AM
wow thanks Thiru

Naaz
16th April 2005, 10:01 PM
Oftentimes, I am unsure if I am familiar with POTW when I read the scripted first line on the right hand corner at this portal...but with a click, a forgotten world of melody is opened anew. This has happened innumerable times, and it happened again this morning.
Madhu Malargale is a cotton candy of a song from the baton of IR. Thanks for this sugar high, Ramki.

Ramki
18th April 2005, 04:05 AM
Pick # 88

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thang_rrr.rm

Song: thanga therodum azhaginile
Film: Raghupathy Raghava Rajaram
Singers: PSuseela, SPB
Music: Shankar Ganesh

SG pair never cease to surprise me. Though many of their songs are less than ordinary, they often come out with nice surprises like today's pick. This was a popular vividh bharathi song in late 70s?(could be early 80s). As always SPB and PS give their best.
I believe this film had 3 heroes. Could it be sivakumar,srikanth and jaiganesh??I think sumithra is one of the heroines.

RC
18th April 2005, 04:31 AM
Ramki: I dont think its Sivakumar. I remember seeing Rajinikanth in the cassette cover..

Ramki
18th April 2005, 06:24 AM
I'm familiar with Rajini's 'shankar salim simon' but his part in RRR is a news. Thanks RC.

balaji
18th April 2005, 06:55 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the nice song. An Ilangai Vanoli Favorite.

SG have given several hit songs with the above pair, 'Aval oru pachai Kuzhandahi' and 'Naan Kattil Mele' were among the highly popular ones.

I think it was neither Sivakumar nor Rajini. It was Major witH Srikanth & Jaiganesh..

Ramki, if you have Aval oru pachail kuzhandai song, please do include in the future..

Bala

madhu
18th April 2005, 07:10 AM
Hi !

I think Sumitra is the only heroine!
and one among the hero is Jayachandran... ( I think he acted in some more movies around that period )
with whom sumitra dances in a rocky area ..without balance! :P )

SN23
18th April 2005, 11:55 AM
Nalladoru kudumbam song (Manju bargavi dances) is KaNNa un leela vinOdham

Ramki, I happened to see the film RRR in K-TV some time back. It featured a 3 brothers story (Ragupathy-Vijayakumar, Raghavan-Ramkumar (sema gundu), Rajaram-Jayachandran). One of them seduces Sumitra, whose Maman is Rajinikanth (insignificant Gramathaan role, with a arivAL in hand). Sumitra goes to the house and seeks nyayam, but Ramkumar who seduced her gets killed. At that time, she rejects the arm extended by Jayachandran who loved her (oru talaia kadhal; this song is kanavu song for Jayachadran) as well as elder brother Vijayakumar's compassion. She takes that veLLai udai and joins a Sarvodhaya ashram. Ok movie. There is a nice PS solo (with chrous singing R-R-R), Sumitra singing the song with rAttai in her hands.

One news: One "n" was added as censor borad objected to the title. Ragupathy Rghava(n) Rajaram.

Ramki
19th April 2005, 05:08 AM
Thanks to all for the details

Balaji i will soon upload 'avaL oru pachai'

SN23 thanks for the story details.

Ramki
19th April 2005, 05:24 AM
Pick # 89

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/unnai_rp1.rm

Song: unnai enni ennai
Film: ragasiya police 115
Singer: PSuseela
Lyrics: Vaali?
Music: MSV

This beautiful ghazal type song is one of the best song from RP115. The song is picturised on venniraadai Nirmala. Though MSV made LRE sing other songs for VN, he reserved this wondrous melody for PS. I kind of remember this song had the beautiful VN with a weird hairdo dancing to a live orchestra. I have not watched the movie but i guess VN had a negative role(die at the end like every second heroine in Tamil cinema?)

Here is a thread on PS solos

http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/23522.14753.04:45:24.html

rajeshkrv
19th April 2005, 09:27 AM
Music was by V.Kumar

SN23
19th April 2005, 11:25 AM
Ramki, RP115 had great songs tuned by Mellisai mannar. The top of the list is ennap-poruththam namakkuL indha poruththam (marupadiyum solren poga koodadhu.... by Jaya and MGR alongwith VK Ramaswamy).

Oher songs are:

kaNNE kaniyE muththE maNiyE by TMS,PS for MGR & Jaya
pAl thamizh pAl enum by TMS, LRE for MGR & Jaya
Santhanam kungumam konda thamarai poo, fantastic solo by PS for Jaya
unnai enni ennai marnthEn by PS for VA Nirmala

Any other songs in this movie? There must be one solo by TMS with a MGR message :)

rajeshkrv
19th April 2005, 04:05 PM
Music was by V.Kumar
i meant Ragupathi raghava rajaram..

unnai is a beautiful solo by PS

Ramki
20th April 2005, 03:55 AM
SN23 one more song:
kaNNil therigindra vaanam kaigaLil varaadho-TMS, LRE

Ramki
20th April 2005, 04:03 AM
Pick # 90

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kanave_sen.rm

Song: kanave kaadhal vaazhvey
Film: senthaamarai
Singer: GKVenkatesh
Music: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

This is a less heard haunting solo by GKV. As far as i know this is his one of the two songs he sang for sivaji(the other one 'nilai maarinaal' from paavamannippu).
some of his other songs i recollect are: 'maanathile meen irukka' bit in 'udhayam varugindradhe'(kavikuyil),
'sondhamum ille'(Hello Mr Jamindhar).
Senthaamarai had sivaji and Padmini.

Manisekaran writes:
Chenthamarai was the first film for Bhim Singh, but got delayed and came out as the 13th film. This si the film where Viswanathan and Ramamurthy worked together. there is also a song by GK Vengkatesh-Kanave Kathal Vazhvey. The film was a flop.

SN23
20th April 2005, 12:16 PM
yes ramki, i also heard that senthamarai was a flop. Earlier quite a few films of sivaji-padmini flopped including edhirparadadhu, srivaLLi etc. But still they rose like a typical dream pair.

in this song, GKV sounds very good though he is not very clear in ending the words. Nice treasure hunt... thanks ramki

Ramki
21st April 2005, 04:38 AM
Pick # 91

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/oruka_an.rm

Song: oru kaaviyam arangerum
Film: aruvadai naaL
Singer: iLaiyaraja
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran
Music: iLaiyaraja

I'm not a big fan of iLaiyaraja's voice. Ofcourse there are exceptions. Today's pick is one of them.
This is the most underappreciated song sung by IR. Personally i think this is his best.
The music interludes, the lyrics and seducing voice of IR makes this a wondrous song.
I believe this song captures the physical intimacy between Prabhu and Pallavi. GA starts with a brilliant line 'oru kaaviyam arangerum nerum' followed by mazhai thoorudhe idhamaaguthe. GA helps us to visualize the scene and IR makes us feel their intimacy. MY only grouch(a minor one) is with GA lyrics in the charanam. It just gets into a loop of dhegam,mogam dhaagam and struggles to come out of it.

"aruvadai naaL" had a brilliant score by IR.
Everyones favorite and chitra's best 'devanin kovil',
the sad and melancholy 'chinna poNNu',
the bubbly and energetic 'olai kurutholai' and the
ordinary 'meLathai mella thattu' are the other 4 songs i remember from AN. The film was based on a true story and had decent performances from Prabhu, viswam, Rasi etc.

Nitya
21st April 2005, 06:35 AM
The ordinary 'Melaatha Mella Thattu?' I don't think it was just ordinary. This is actually the song I like best in 'Aruvadai Naal.'

From Mars
21st April 2005, 10:06 AM
Ramki,

the other song is: naanga seiyurathellam neenga (MV & Chorus). "Devanin kOvil" was completely wasted in the movie, it was the title song, only half of the song appears in the movie.

Thiru
21st April 2005, 07:28 PM
Didnt the movie have Ramkumar (prabhu's bro) in it??

From Mars
21st April 2005, 09:07 PM
Yes, he was the priest in the movie :)

RC
21st April 2005, 10:27 PM
I think Ramkumar too did well, given the fact that this was his first/only movie.

Ramki
22nd April 2005, 02:23 AM
RC did'nt he(Ramkumar) act in 'poNNu paarka poren' along with Prabhu and Seetha?

app_engine
22nd April 2005, 03:01 AM
"given the fact that this was his first/only movie"...RC, avunga appAvOda first movie eppadi?:-) NOM...

Ramki
22nd April 2005, 04:23 AM
Pick # 92

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/naalu_rvv.rm

Song: naalu vagai poovil
Film: Raamayee vayasukku vandhuttaa
Singers: SJanaki, Jayachandran
Lyrics: MGVallaban
Music: Gangai Amaran

Movies are remembered for their storylines, performances , sometimes for their songs, charecterisations etc. Rarely they are remembered for their titles..RVV belongs to such genre.
The filmmaker grabbed everyones attention by this outrageous title. Usually movies belong to 'coming of age' genre but naming the genre itself as the title can happen only in tamil cinema. '16 vayadhinile' ,'kaNNi paruvathile', 'vayasu poNNu', 'vayasu pasanga' :).
Despite having a provocative title , a beautiful Menaka(introduction) and couple of good songs by GA, this movie couldnt stay in the cinema halls for a week. I have no idea of other actors in this film but i remember one other song, A cute solo by SJ 'adi raamayee hey raakayee'.
'naalu vagai poovil' is an nice duet by GA. The unpopularity of the movie did not help keep the song for a long time on the radios(like many other good songs by GA).
I wish we had the radio mirchi and other FM's those days. These obscure songs might have got more air time

RC
22nd April 2005, 04:29 AM
Ramki: I think his name is Mano, Prabhu's cousin!

balaji
22nd April 2005, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the nice song Ramki!

I believe there was another popular song by VJ. Was it 'Naalu Madhangal Ulagin Vasantha..' or something like that..

Bala

madhu
22nd April 2005, 07:43 AM
Hi Balaji!

"nalu madhangal ulaginil vasantha kaalangaL" by VJ is from the film "karai kadantha oruthi (kuRathi ?)"..
another popular song from the film is "Odathile thanneeru" by SJ !

Ramki
25th April 2005, 02:14 AM
Pick # 93

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/iraiv_aen.rm

Song: iraivan endroru
Film: aen
Singer: SPB
Music: TRPappa

This is one of SPB's initial songs. His voice sounds so young and different from what we are used to.
According to JN , 'aen' had Ravichandran and Lakshmi in the lead. This film was released in 1970. I have no other details about this film.

In the same year, SPB gave an interview to sivakumar for 'Bommai' magazine. Thanks to RC for sending me the interview(RC received this through SPB yahoo group from Thenraja). You can read the first part of the interview by clicking on the the link below.

I plan to make this a SPB week. I will post the remaining portions of the interview in the coming days.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ram_krishan/detail?.dir=25c3&.dnm=2b01.jpg&.src=ph

SN23
25th April 2005, 11:13 AM
ramki, "why" had AVM.Rajan and Lakshmi as brother and sister and Nirmala as heroine. Ravi did not figure in the movie. This is what I know.
Kannan enakkoru pillai, nAn kanni thAn innum thAi Aga villai for Lakshmi by Sulamangalam sister is another good song in this film. SS laughs in between :-)

Fan
25th April 2005, 04:49 PM
man!! is that SPB!! hard to recognize him at the beginning! :roll: