PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the week: 1 Mar to 5 Aug 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

S.Balaji
6th June 2006, 03:57 PM
Ramki

Rare composistion and I think well ahead of that time. just close your eyes and listen the interlude, you can feel the silence of night .
I think this song picturised in rainy day where shivaji and major happily coming back to home after remebering childhood days.
I feel something difference in this song and I am not able to express.

PS showed all the feeling in just one humming. Ever green.

ramesh

Correct Ramesh

Its a rainy evening when NT and Major will be coming back home, joyfully while Oorvasi Saradha & Srikanth will be in love making mood.
MSV has precisely got the situation right & what a variety !
Listen to the words.... Naan sugame , sugame, sugameeeee.....

PS's rendition will be different for every Sugame sugame sugame

The rhythm is a reminiscent of MSV's earlier classics :

1. Naan nandri solven en kangalukku
2. Katru vandhal thalai sayum nanal
3. Kanirandum minna minna

Later MSV used the same rhythm for Naan patta kadan ethanayo boomiyil pirandhu !

umaramesh
6th June 2006, 05:35 PM
Balaji

This one is another ultimate movie of NT. Especially when he try to disclose his identity to sharada . Class acting. Not to mention DEVANNEYE song. MSV/TMS/PS combination. :thumbsup:

RAMESH

jmahesh
6th June 2006, 11:00 PM
thanks for the songs Ramki.
I remember seeing 'Gnana oli ' on Rupavahini several years ago. The only thing i remember of the movie are its 2 immemorable songs.
In one interview I remember Saradha saying that the few movies she acted in Tamil were due to the encouragement (? sibaarisu)she got from Sivaji.
A bad film with good songs with Sivaji & Saradha was Kungumam.(thoongatha kannindru, chinnanj chiriya, poonthotta kavalkara)
Several decades later they acted together in another major flop by name Sarithranayakan.

ramky
7th June 2006, 12:11 AM
Ramky,

PS version of 'endhan poNvanname' is for Haja shereiff is think.

Oh k. i thought PS had sung for a little girl. :oops:

madhu
7th June 2006, 04:00 AM
Ramky,

PS version of 'endhan poNvanname' is for Haja shereiff is think.

Oh k. i thought PS had sung for a little girl. :oops:

Ramky : PS voice peNmai nirainthadhu.. but until the voice cracks :twisted: ella pasangaLukkum keechu keechu voicethan..

idhe madhiri - amudhe thamizhe - kovil puRA ; kaNNizhandha piLLaikku - yENipadigaL enRu PS niraiya pasangaLukku kural koduthirukkaar...

Ramki :ooooo.... maNamedai... enna oru paattu ?

Ramki
7th June 2006, 04:58 AM
Premananth,
Nehtiyile is a good song. I will upload it soon(i have not forgotten your other request)

Ramesh
>>I feel something difference in this song and I am not able to express

I too have the same feeling. Another song that evoke such feeling is 'vasanthathil oar naaL' from moondru deivangaL

Mahesh and others, thanks for the details

Ramki
7th June 2006, 05:10 AM
Pick #326

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kaala_aj.rm

Song: kaalamagaL kaNthirappaL
Movie: anantha jyothi
Singer: PSuseela
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
MD: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

There are songs sung for thangachis , there are songs 'about ' akkas, songs for akka and thangais..but how many songs are there sung for just akkas? I can recall only three or four . Todays pick is one of them.
The song , a booster for solitary and sad souls, has excellent lyrics by Kavignar and PS adds her own energy to the powerful lines.
The song is picturised on Devika. She sings it for her kutti brother, played by Kamalhassan.
Unlike the other hits in AJ, this song did not get its share of popularity. It was aired less and not widely remembered as say 'ninaikka therindha manime' or 'poiyile pirandhu' or 'paniyilladha margazhiyaa'.

madhu
7th June 2006, 05:19 AM
Ramki : enna oru selection ? kolreenga !

( I heard ... then....ladies used to wear black color blouse with white embroidered flowers around the neck and sleeves like Devika in this film )..

mm.. I think this is the only film with MGR,Devika pair ...

BTW , what are the other akka songs ?
do u know a song sung for brother-in-law ? ( chinna machinan :wink: )

Neel D
7th June 2006, 06:33 AM
Lovely song maNamEdai. Thanks Ramki.

vasanthaththil Or nAL reminds me of another nice song "janakanin magaLai maNamagaLAga". If I remember correctly there is a song, periyammA singing to a baby, from Vegulippen, "muLLukku rOjA sontham".

From Mars
7th June 2006, 07:19 AM
moothavaL nee koduthaai vaazhvilE munnEtra (arangEtram)
akka akka nee akka illa (thirumadhi oru vegumathi)

:)

RR
7th June 2006, 09:53 AM
Did you guys notice the counterpoint (instrumental) when PS goes 'kaala magaL' at the very end? A piece that rends my heart..!

For those interested, this song is in Subapantuvarali - the sOga raagam. Another famous PS-MSV-TKR combo song in the same raga is 'unnai naan santhithen'.

premananth
7th June 2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks Ramki Sir,
Ungga Response-kkum, rasikka vaittha paattai padaithatharkkum.

kAlamagal - woderful gem by MSV-TKR, KD and PS.

I heard, KD, Thevikavin mel konda mayakkam, intha padathin paadalgalil ethirolithathu endru. Athu MGR-kkuth theriya vara, Thevikavukku athu muthal avar padanggalil no chance.

Innoru vishayamum kelvi patten, ithu maramugamaaga kAmarAjarukku or aNNAavukku (aNNA used to called all as thambi) vidutha, thannambikkai paadal. KD covered-up it by put the word "Chinnaiya" (TF industry called MGR as Chinnavar)

Really it is a motivational song too. Excellent job by MSV-TKR.

"kallirukkum thEraikkellAm karuNai thantha theivam
kaniyirukkum vaNdukkellAm thuNai iruntha theivam
nellukkulle maNiyai neruppinile oLiyai
uLLukkuLLe vaitha theivam unakku illaiya - thambi namakku illaiya"

enna varigal ?!

umaramesh
7th June 2006, 10:04 AM
too have the same feeling. Another song that evoke such feeling is 'vasanthathil oar naaL' from moondru deivangaL

Ramki

if possible please put the song. splendid song and PS at her best.
This film has one more duet spb-ps. MULLIYAA ROJA. :)

ramesh

premananth
7th June 2006, 11:17 AM
Ramki Sir,

If i'm not mistaken there is a song in pAlAdai. PS sang for KRVijaya for her akka Padmini, sounds like this:

"PattAdai thottil katta veNum en kaNNukku
paal vaNNa changgu kolla veNum.... something like that.

nice song too. Never host yet.

SN23
7th June 2006, 03:56 PM
Ramki (howau AaLT :-)). KAlamagaL kaNthirappAL song will be one of the top 10 sOha rasa paadalgaL. I mean kEtpadharkku. But if you watch movie, it won't have the same strong effect, may be due to Devika's miga midhamAna expression.

The shades of kaalamagaL kaNthirappAL do exist in another solo of PS "punnagaiyil poo pookkum thirumagaLe". This for the aNNi (or manni) character Padmini in the film ThirumagaL. She sings this for a function for her naththanAr Lakshmi. If my opinion about similarity is true, I wonder how the MD (MSV here too ???) used the sOha raagam "SubapanthuvarALi" for a happy mood. That is music :-)

Different opinion about MaNamEdai song. PS is great in this. No need to add to what Naaz said about her apt seductive expression. But Saradha? That too with Srikanth. Can't digest the her in drenched dress and over-do sexual expression. :oops: Huuu may be the effect of Thulabaram? :cry:

vel1970
7th June 2006, 11:33 PM
Ramki, is it not Synthesiser in the background of En rajavin roaj mugam song? I guess not guitar. Simple but powerful tune for a background song. PS voice too. Crystal clear.
Not only in en rajavin, but in other 2 songs Manamedai & Kalamagal, PSuseelavin kural theLinda neerodai. PaLich :-)

Do you have Endhan ponvanname (PS version)? If yes, please host ASAP. It is for Master Vimal in Nan vazha vaipen.

jn
8th June 2006, 03:03 AM
Ramkiiiiiiiiiiiiii...
naan varaadha time le paaththu ippadi arumaiyaana songs host paNNirukkiye! :)
appaa un magaLai: eppayume sOgam vandhaalO, or even adi pattadhume udane ammaa nu thaan ellaarum solvaanga. but appa un magaLai is a rare song. PS appaa...nu sollum pOdhu manasai sogam pizhinjirum..
maNa mEdai: seductive song with decent lyrics. humming is divine.
picturisation thaan paarkka konjam kashtamaa irukkum..
kaala magaL song andha situation ku avLo sogam thEvaiyaa nu theriyalai. but otherwise, thannambikkai oottum varigaL konda oru song.
all these 3 songs are by kavingar. I don't have to say anything about PS's expression in all these songs. :) Looking forward to the next songs.

innoru akka song:
akka akka akka akkakkaa
aasai aasai aasai vandhuruchchaa .... from kaakum karangaL by PS.

Ramki
8th June 2006, 05:21 AM
Madhu,
I lied..i remember only one that too might loosely fit
'muthu muthu peNNe mutham tharum kaNNe' (Its a mix of thalattu and akka song :))

Premananth, i do not have the song you mentioned :(

SN23 howau AaLT ?????

Mahesh, i have the PS version. I will host it soon

Ramesh, i will host vasanthathil oru naaL too.

Looks like PS week should be extended :)

JN :))

Ramki
8th June 2006, 06:35 AM
Pick #327

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/adiye_as.rm

Song: adiye kaNNammaa
Movie: agni saatchi
Lyrics: Vaali
MD: MSViswanathan

We remember songs for several reasons..it could be for the singing, lyrics, picturisation, music etc. I remembered and will remember this song for one particular line. It could be an ordinary line for others, but to me this one line could not be illustrated in any better way. Want to know the line? Wait :)

We have songs that appreciate the greatness of wife or sister or love or brother or lover or mother. But there are very few songs that sings the good qualities of a husband. This song is one great example.

She is a emotionally disturbed wife. Hallucinations and violent outbursts are part of her persona.
He is her virtual opposite. Calm, composed and comforting.They compliment each other.

When asked to write abut such a pair, Vaali raises to the occassion and comes out with this great line

endhan kuraiyaavum gunamaaga koNdaar

Is there any simpler way to describe their qualities? I doubt.

The whole song is a treat. Not only it explains the love for her husband but also her possessiveness and pride. PS expresses all these feelings in her voice and makes the song a memorable one.

madhu
8th June 2006, 07:14 AM
Ramki : ungalai ella selection committee-kkum thalaivara podalam :thumbsup:

premananth
8th June 2006, 08:14 AM
Aaha,

vAli-yin santhak kavi ennammAi inikkuthu?!

I've watsh this movie two weeks ago in Raj TV - Marakka mudiyaatha Tamil Cinema 75.

Woderful performance by Saritha. Sivakumar - the same as in bathrakAli.

Padam Pooravum varum ella kavithaigalume then suvai.

rra
8th June 2006, 08:17 AM
RR: Another great PS-MSV_TKR song in Shubhapantuvarali is
Inda Naadgam" from Paalum Pazhamum with excellent lyrics by KD. Interestingly, the recordede song has one stanza more than what is in the film.
RRA

SN23
8th June 2006, 11:07 AM
jn: In my view, KaalamagaL song is out of soham but comes out with yekkam "Namakkum nalla kaalam varaadhaa". The listener will have the same feeling within.

Winner for Nambikkai ootum paadal is Ovvoru pookkaLumE (Chitra).

Ramki, I always thought SJ would be a better choice for Saritha. May be Mookthi poo mElE has influenced me. But I wonder at the equal number of hits of PS for Saritha.

AdiyE kaNNamma song begins with a lifted take-off by PS with a treat of extended humming. Would feel like stretch the hands apart and run across with full of joy and pride. MSV's brain was great and his imagination and innovation were brilliantly demo'd by PS.

This gem and KaNNAna poo maganE as well deserved an award for PS at State or National level. But hard luck. The production crew including KB missed to get recognition for the trusted singer. This is MHO.

Too happy on the possible extension of PS-Week :-)

SN23
8th June 2006, 11:11 AM
Howau AaLT: How are you? after a long time :-)

umaramesh
8th June 2006, 12:27 PM
Hi

Nice song, especially the single line specified by Ramki was out of the world, because entire story of the film told in single line. GREAT VALLI SIR.

Prelude and starting somehow resembles MALLAI RANI MUNDHANAI SARIA SARIA from ORAYE VANAM ORAYE BHOOMI. :?

ramesh

umaramesh
8th June 2006, 12:37 PM
Did you guys notice the counterpoint (instrumental) when PS goes 'kaala magaL' at the very end? A piece that rends my heart..!

Hi
I think you are mentioning flute bit before the humming. nice &surpise one at the end.

ramesh

yvsmani
8th June 2006, 01:32 PM
manamedai is one of the best by PS, I feel. another seductive song, i like by her is neeradum pozhuthellaam nee mattum.
Agni saatchi - no words to describe. kathai, thiraikathai, paadalgal, direction,singers, actors ellaamae super.

rajeshkrv
8th June 2006, 10:43 PM
all the PS songs shared so far are treat ..

Vaali's lyrics & poems in Agni saatchi are amazing

jn
9th June 2006, 12:13 AM
thanks ramki. :) I have been looking for this song for a long time. Forgot to ask you, though..:)
The way PS sings kaNNammaa in the first line ... romba nallaarukku.
The other song of PS and SPB with vaali's admirable lyrics is also my favourite... vanakkam mudhal variyai ezhudhum mun...

It is hard to fit hits of any singer, especially PS, in a week's time. Good to know that you are considering an extension. :)

jn
9th June 2006, 12:20 AM
adiyE kaNNammaa
amaidhi ennammaa?
adiyE kaNNammaa
amaidhi ennammaa?
thaay veedu vanthaayO?
thaalatta kaNdaayO?
thaay veedu vanthaayO?
thaalatta kaNdaayO?

nee ingu kaN kondu kaaNum yaavum aananthak kaatchi
nee ingu kaN kondu kaaNum yaavum aananthak kaatchi
nee koNda maangalyam naaLum vaazhum agni saatchi
thaay veedu vanthaayO?
thaalatta kaNdaayO?
adiyE kaNNammaa ..

intha ErEzhu lOgangaL meedhu
unthan Idaagap peNNonRu Edhu?
kaNNammaa .. adiyE kaNNammaa
intha ErEzhu lOgangaL meedhu
unthan Idaagap peNNonRu Edhu?

kaNavan enRu kadavuL vanthaan
unthan kuRai yaavum guNamaagak kondaan
yaarum kaaNaadha yOgam unnOdu
enRum santhOsha sangeedham paadu
thaay veedu vanthaayO?
thaalatta kaNdaayO?
adiyE kaNNammaa ..

vaadaik kaaRROdu kadhai pEsum pUvE
neenda karaiyOdu uRavaadum neerE
paavai enthan purushan pOlE
ungaL varalaaRRil yaarEnum undO?
selvam oru kOdi thanthaal varumOdi?
dheyvam kEttaalum thara maattEn pOdi (how possessive! :) )
thaay veedu vanthaayO?
thaalatta kaNdaayO?
adiyE kaNNammaa ...

tvsankar
9th June 2006, 12:45 AM
Dear Ramki.
Thanks for the song !!! Indha padathin kavidhaigal ellam miga nanraga irukum.

NIcely quoted by you about the characters !!!

"endhan kuraiyaavum gunamaaga koNdaar "

Is there any simpler way to describe their qualities? I doubt. "

Enaku migavum piditha varigal ivai !!!

kaNavan enRu kadavuL vanthaan
unthan kuRai yaavum guNamaagak kondaan
yaarum kaaNaadha yOgam unnOdu
enRum santhOsha sangeedham paadu
thaay veedu vanthaayO?

Thank you once again for this song Ramki !!

Ennudaiya sila PS favourites !! Host panna mudiyuma ?

1. Thai madha megam
adhu tharaiyil aduthu

Padam. nadithavar edhuvum ninaivu illai.Anal PS in kuralum MSV isaiyum matumae ninaivil irukiradhu.

2.Sathiya muthirai katalai ittadhu

3. Kadhai undu oru kadhai undu
Sollathan ninaithadhu anru

4. Kannae paapa en kani muthu paapa

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ramki
9th June 2006, 02:54 AM
I'm glad to see you all enjoying my selections :)

JN ungaL paatil oru kurai :)keez variyai kottai vitteenga

nee koNda mangalyam naaLum vaazhum agni saakshi

Ushashankar, sure.

Ramki
9th June 2006, 03:06 AM
Pick #328

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/hey_nk.rm

Song: hey thendrale
Movie: nenjathai kiLLathe
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran
MD: iLaiayraja

No listing of PS solos can be complete without this haunting solo. One of her bests under IR's music. The grand orchestration , the haunting voice and the gentle lyrics makes the melody sweeter but not thigattara sweet.

Couple of weeks ago, NeelD and RR were discussing why nowdays there are not many Female solos for background songs. Here is an example for why we need more of them and hopefully by a voice as pleasant as susheela's

rajeshkrv
9th June 2006, 03:15 AM
gr8 song again.. oru melliyo sogam izhayodum .. kuralil . kondu vandhavar suseela

nandri ramki

jn
9th June 2006, 03:29 AM
ramki: sorry. uv pattu oru line ai kOttai vittutten. thanks. edit paNNitten.

ye thenrale.. nalla song, nalla music, nice picturisation and photography.
ennavenRu solvadhappaa ramki undhan selection ai. :)

balaji
9th June 2006, 07:48 AM
Ramki

Arumaiyana Padal!

Thanks
Bala

premananth
9th June 2006, 09:37 AM
Aaha,

kollureenggale Ramki Sir.

Arumaiyaana paadal. adutha paadal enna ennum aaval uruvaagirathu.

Thanks Ramki Sir. Intha paattu mattum illai, Nenjathai Killaathe padamum superb.

yvsmani
9th June 2006, 04:09 PM
IR-in musicil enakku migavum pidiththa PS padalgalil idhuvum ondru, matrondru kelayo kanna, kannukulle yaaro

Nakeeran
9th June 2006, 04:16 PM
IR-in musicil enakku migavum pidiththa PS padalgalil idhuvum ondru, matrondru kelayo kanna, kannukulle yaaro

Ungalukku kannan oru kai kuzandhai & chella pillai saravanan pidikatha !

vel1970
9th June 2006, 10:44 PM
Hello Ramki: I also requested the PS version of endhan pon vanname :-)

Adiye kannamma is musical feast. I love the style with innocence and childish possesivness while singing "thara matten pOdiiii". Lovely man.
Sarita was at her best at this piece and thru-out the film.

Ye thendrale is a good song no doubt but the creative gem Paruvame, burried this as well as other duet.

Ramki
12th June 2006, 04:03 AM
Thanks everyone

Vel, I will soon host that song for you too :)

Ramki
12th June 2006, 05:06 AM
Pick #328

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/nadhikarai_kk.rm

Song: nadhikkarai orathu
Movie: kaadhal kiLigaL
Singers: KJYesudoss, SPShailaja
Lyrics: Muthulingam
MD: KVMahadevan

A newly wed couple, on their way back to home after watching a midnight cinema, were waylaid by 4 hooligans. The husband was beat senseless and the wife was gangraped by the four. This real life incident happened in Bombay and became sensational news.
When this incident was made into a movie(Ghar), the then real life couple vinod mehra and Rekha were chosen to play the lead and what a selection it was. Their on screen chemistry was totally believable and Rekhas performance as a rape victim was just outstanding. The film also had very good melodies by RDB.

When it was remade in tamil, god knows why, the pale wooden face 'manipurse vai'actress Rathi was chosen to play Rekhas Role.
She neither had the experience nor talent to play such a character.
Sivakumar in vinod mehras role was just ok.
What was a sensitive film in hindi became a boring sob story in Tamil.

KVMahadevan came out with 2 good songs.
sevvaname seer koNdu vaa and todays pick.

'kaadhal kiLiye nee aen pesa marandhai'(SPB) is another ok song from KK.

balaji
12th June 2006, 07:29 AM
Romba Thanks for the nice song that I had been searchingfor long. Well said about Rathi. Surprise Surprise, Thanks to some good movies like EDKL, MujheInsaafChahiye (Vidhi remake), BRChopra's Tawaaif, Rathi is considered a good actress beyind Vindhiyas. I believe she bagged Filmfare award for Tawaif.

The two KJY-SPS duets were really good. I am not sure which one is the 'Tere Bina Jiya Jaayena..', I hope the Nadhikarai song.

Thanks Ramki for the whole selection on PS. Also RR thanks for hosting some nice songs, I was unable to provide my feedback/appreciation earlier

Thanks guys for making our days

Bala

SN23
12th June 2006, 11:28 AM
Ramki, I listened to Nadhikarai oraththu song only once earlier. Now with your sharing. Nice tune (song as a whole ????).

IMHO, KVM did not try sailing along with the changes in technology which boosted music to different scales in his era. Esp, recording quality, usage of different instruments, chorus besides pace of the songs. If one listen to his songs from Manmadha radhangal, Kuruvi koodu and films of his last leg, one would wonder whether these were of 70's or even earlier. In Nadhikarai song, SPS voice (already shrill and sceach) is pathetic, thanks to poor quality of recording, as if the recording took place in a dunjan room. Ultimately, KVM had to take a side line and be comfortable with "S" series under K.Vishwanath, who later took IR as his music hand.

Kadhal kiLigal had a nice PS solo also "Karumbilum iniyadhu iniyadhu" for Rathi. I saw this song sequence in TV. PS must have been with muttu jaladosham while recording. Still she maintained inimai. But in the scene, "sAdhu" Sivakumar had enough hands-on with Rathi, may be only one film he did with her ?? :lol:

Ramki: Continuation of PS-Week dropped-aa?

jmahesh
13th June 2006, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the song Ramki.
Remember hearing in radio several years ago.
Neenga select panni podara paatu ellaame , I think i would have never had the chance to listen again if it had not been for tfm & you.
ungal narpani thodaratum.

balaji
13th June 2006, 02:56 AM
SN23:

Rathi acted with Sivakumar in one more movie 'Raman Sriraman', which had the 'Paraiya Paaru Tokyo' by SPB-SJ. There were other songs from that movie played in Radio those days. MD was Sathyam.

Can I interpret this week as songs of MDs from Telugu filmdom. I can expect one Ramesh naidu, one Sathyam (even the Raman Sriraman song is ok, but Sathyam had other nice numbers in Tamil), one Chakravarthy and one Raj-Koti Song ..

Bala

Ramki
13th June 2006, 03:44 AM
Thanks guys

SN23 PS week will be continued later :).

Balaji, i had planned to make this a KVM week but your idea of telugu MD songs sound interesting(Iiwouldnt call KVM a telugu MD though)

Ramki
13th June 2006, 06:29 AM
Pick #329

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/sujatha_km.rm

Song: sujatha i love you sujatha
Movie: kodeeswaran magaL
Singers: PSuseela, SPBalasubramaniam
Lyrics: Muthulingam?
MD: Chakravarthy

I remember watching KM as a kid on DD and enjoying it. Few weeks later DD showed an old Sivaji-padmini film Raja-Rani. The story line of these 2 were very similar.
KM had Sivakumar and Rajalakshmi. The song i love from KM is 'uLLathil oru oonjal adhil utkaarum iLanthendral' . If anyone has this song with you please send it to me.

What are the other chakravarthy's tamil movies?

madhu
13th June 2006, 06:52 AM
Hi ramki..

hearing this song after a looooooong span..
this is the first song shot at Gemini ( Anna ) flyover in the night..

yes.. the story is almost similar to Rajarani by kalaignar.
I think Sowcar Janaki in T.A.Madhuram's role and Thengai in N.S.Krishnan's role.

adhu sari.. I remember one more film with the same storyline( I forgot the name ) with S.S.Chandran and Kovai Sarala with the same characters..
yedho oru sirippu padam.. (sahadeven mahadevan madhiri....)
can anyone help ?

I got the information "Between 1971 and 1991, Chakravarthy's success story as a music composer spread to 959 films, which include 60 in Kannada, four in Tamil, one in Malayalam, and the rest in Telugu" from Net.

So he must hv composed for three other films in tamil.

SN23
13th June 2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks Bala for your info on Raman Sriraman. I guess Sivakumar acted in dual role and another heroine is Latha?? It had a duet "kanni thedral veesum nErangaL" by SPB+PS. Music by Sivaji Raja (Not Satyam).

Kotteeswaran MagaL is full of comedy, thanks to the superb performnace by Thengai Srinivasan and Sowcar Janaki, whereas the lead pair had very limited scope. Sowcar and Thengai suspect each other and keep always a check. They use Sivakumar and Rajalakshmi for their drama. I love this movie just because of Thengai.

Highlight of this Sujatha song is PS's kutty kutty hummings as part of pallavi when it gets repeated by SPB. That live 'belive me' by SPB is with some special romantic style.

KM had another duet by this pair "ullathil oru oonjal adhil utkarum ilam thenral". Ramki, I too long to hear this gem. "Unai naan arivEn enai nee arivaai (OR ariyaai??)" is one more popular duet by SPB+SP Shailaja. In this song, Thengai and Sowcar suspicion goes over-board and makes us laugh like anything.

Dangu takku Chakravarthy did score music for few re-made films like Oonjalaadum Uravugal & Emanukku eman. I remember films with funny names like Jai vEdhAlam, Tukkar Raaja etc, dubbed from Telugu (Chakku's music direction).

Oonjalaadum Uravugal had an excellent solo by PS for Srividya, starting with "Veenai enadhu kuzhandhai". PS at her best in this song. Ramki, do you have this song?

rajdes
13th June 2006, 11:01 AM
Like Sangathil paadadha Kavidhai(as a tune), Kodeeswaran magal as a story has many incarnations. The telugu original, presumably was the first. I learn now that Kalaignar's Raja-Rani is the original original. Besides, the movie made it to Malayalam(one of the priyadarshan assembly line products in late 80's-early 90's). Then,as is his habit, it made it to Hindi as Hungama recently *ing Akshay Khanna, Rimi Sen etc. Then it was re-made into Telugu(incredibly from the Hindi version) *Ing Prabhu Deva, Aarthu Chaabria etc.

yvsmani
13th June 2006, 02:19 PM

Ungalukku kannan oru kai kuzandhai & chella pillai saravanan pidikatha !

somehow bhadrakali songs (antha padam vantha puthithil) pala murai kettu enakku antha songs ellamae oru aversion thaan..... :(

chella pillai saravanan, nadhiyoram etc pidikkum, but mele sonna paadalgalukku appuram thaan.

Ramki
13th June 2006, 04:43 PM
SN23 'kanni thendral'(already featured in POW) is from VK *er Raman sriraman.
I think sivakumar-Rathi film is Raman Parasuraman.

Rajdes thank you for the info on KM's multiple births

balaji
13th June 2006, 06:49 PM
Ramki

I stand corrected, the movie is Raman Parasuraman. I think the MD was Sathyam.

One more movie of Chakravarthy is "Emanukku Eman" (Sivaji Double role). Had some nice songs, as I used to like his style of music.

Bala

rajeshkrv
13th June 2006, 08:00 PM
priyadharshan recently remade this same story line in hindi as hungama

tvsankar
14th June 2006, 11:43 AM
Dear Ramki,
THanks for the song !!!! Eppodho ketta song !!!
Indha paatin speed ---- really nice !!! SPB and PS voice and style especillay PS in humming ---- indha paatil enaku migavum pidikum.

Chakravarthy music il oru padam --- Padam perum Chakravarthy -- i think --- Jaysankar and Oorvasi Saradha nadithadhu ---

one song edho konjam ninaivil --- vaa valliyammai kanava !! like this

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
14th June 2006, 12:44 PM
tvsankar, Shankar-Ganesh scored music for the film Chakravarthy. Jaishankar, Saradha, Sripriya, Srikanth, Y.Vijaya, Manorama etc acted. Vaa VaLLiammai kaNavA is by PS (for Saradha) and Manorama for herself. It starts with Aarathi edungadi thozhiyarE Aanandham pAdungadiiiii by Manorama.

Ramki, thanks for your pointer-correction on Raman (Sriraman / Parasuraman). Yes, Sathyam is MD for RamanParasuraman and SivajiRaja for RamanSriraman. I remember a duet by SPB+PS in RP starting with "KalyaNa mAlai kondAdum".

rajdes
14th June 2006, 04:17 PM
Ramki, edho enakku therinjadhu eduthu vuttaen. BTW, the Malayalam Priyadarshan version was called "Poochakkoru Mookkuthi:, I think

Ramki
15th June 2006, 04:13 AM
Pick #329

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/anantham_in.rm

Song: anandham adhu ennada
Movie: iru nilavugaL
Singers: SPBalasubramaniam
MD: Rajen Nagendra

'Sommokadidhi Sokokadidhi ' was the first film that brought 4 great talents, Kamal-singeetham srinivasarao-Balumahendra and thottatharani, together . Thought it had the formulaic double action story, the film was very enjoyable. I remember watching the tamil version 'iru nilavugaL' in vijaya theatre(The one in west kkNagar...is it vijaya?). I remember few scenes here and there and for my age that time, the film was funny.
Kamal played the dual role of a doctor and rowdy. The shy/soft doctor and the thug rowdy(brothers born to pandaribhai seperated at birth) switch places and fall in love with the girls(Roja Ramani-Jayasudha) .
The songs by RN duo was very enjoyable too.
The two playful SPB-SJ duets 'thoda varavo'(I love the kannada version 'nagu nagutha) and 'ammadi jaadhi muLLu' and
the sweet innocent SPB-PS duet 'anbuLLa kaNNano' (Does anyone have this song? Looking for this for a long time)
and todays intro song for Rowdy kamal made this a decent album.

Though i have enjoyed RN songs quite often, the one album that made me look up their other songs is kannada film 'anandha bhairavi'
Not only the film was excellent, each and every song was a gem.
The film had Girish karnad, Kanchana , sri and couple of newcomers.
if you like KViswanatha kind of films, then you should watch this.
You can listen to AB's songs here

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/18/s/movie_name.2120/

madhu
15th June 2006, 07:32 AM
HI Ramki

I heard "anbulla kaNNanO" in PS website..

http://psusheela.org/tam/audio.php?offset=210&ord=movie

premananth
15th June 2006, 09:53 AM
Song romba nalla irukku Ramki sir.

thanks. KD varigal aRputham.

Thoda varavo another nice song.

umaramesh
15th June 2006, 12:54 PM
Ramki

You are talking about Vijaya :) and we have one more close by Indira theatre. Indira theatre we use to see old movies like AAYARATHIL ORUVAN. :D
Even I saw this movie in vijaya theatre. Typical masala movie but nice songs. our famous vivida bharathi use to repeat all these songs. we enjoyed it. Thanks for the song.

ramesh

S.Balaji
15th June 2006, 01:18 PM
Ramki

Irunilavugal was also released in Midland & Leo ( do you remember the twin theatres ! ) & completed 100 days in both !!

Anbulla kannano was a super hit song those days :D

SN23
15th June 2006, 01:53 PM
Whatever film Kamal acted as street-smart, his ingredient is mainly appAvithanam. Initially it was well received, but later bOradichiduchu with same type of language, comic dialogues etc etc. Pammal K Sambandam is a ready example.

As Iru nilavugaL was one of such early birds, it became a hit. In nagaichuvai thuNukkugaL, I saw some pieces wherein Kamal and RojaramaNi paired. RR looked so small in front of Kamal. Their duet AnbuLLa kaNNanO is superb song.

Anandam adhu ennada is a typical SPB feast :-)

balaji
15th June 2006, 09:59 PM
Shakthi fm is playing now some nice SPB-PS duets of yesteryears

Duets so far
1. Seervarisai
2. Enna Thavam Saithen
3. Kannan oru Kai Kuzhandhai
4. Raghupathy Raghava Rajaram

It may go for another 30 minutes

Bala

Ramki
16th June 2006, 04:51 AM
Madhu thanks a lot for the link.

Ramesh/SBalaji , Thanks.

Never been to Indira theatre.indha theatrelaam ippo irukkaa? IdichitaangaLaa?

SN23 RR looked cute. I happened to see her latest picture..Her face is still cute but her body size will be atleast triple the size :) sartihavoda gundu :)

Ramki
16th June 2006, 04:59 AM
Pick #330

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/sasa_npnp.rm

Song: sa sa sa ni tha sa ni
Movie: nee paadhi naan paadhi
Singers: SPBalasubramaniam
Lyrics: -
MD: Maragathamani

Todays pick is not a rare one but definitely a short and sweet number which im sure you all will not mind listening again.

NPNP , Dir Vasanth's second venture, after the successful heart warming 'keLadi kaNmani' , bombed at the B.O. Imo it was not a bad film at all. Yes the film sagged post interval but it had its moments. Performances of senior artistes like srividya, Mano, Jaishankar were excellent and so were the songs by Maragathamani aka keeravani aka kreeeem.

'kaalamuLLavarai' and 'yaarai kettu eera kaatru' are other good numbers in NPNP. MM's latest telugu album Ramadasu has some very good songs.

madhu
16th June 2006, 07:13 AM
Ramki..

Indra theatre is still functioning... with pei pisasu padams.. and of course sometimes with good old films too..

rajeshkrv
16th June 2006, 09:14 AM
Nee padhi naan padhi had lyrics by vaali

particularly nivedha was exellent piece of work by vaali

cute rahman & gowtami in screen will add moreflavour

yvsmani
16th June 2006, 02:09 PM
rajesh :
Heera-vai En vittu vittergal ??
I like one more song from the same film:
devan theerppu endrum mudivanathu by KJY

Oru seductive song kooda intha padathil unde........

Ramki
18th June 2006, 10:42 PM
rajeshkrv,

Is there a second version of the song that has more lines than the single word 'nivedha'?
I'm not sure what is vaalis contribution in the version i hosted.

madhu
18th June 2006, 10:46 PM
rajesh : tha song contains only one word "nivedha" Do u mean to say that vali wrote the swaras or is there more stanzas?

Ramki
19th June 2006, 12:32 AM
Pick #331

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/alai_kk.rm

Song: alai alaiyaaga
Movie: kaNNodu kaN
Singers: SPBalasubramaniam, SPShailaja
Lyrics: VM?
MD: Shankar Ganesh

Song requested by Naaz. He writes:

Rich Guy, Poor Gal. Or vice versa? That is about all I
remember about the film. It starred Sulakshana and
Ravi Kumar (?) - Kottaarakaraa's son, I believe. The
couple screws up the courage to sing a duet in front
of Urummu Urummu Urummumeesai Daddy... Enai Thaedum
Megam (VJ/SPB) was a ghazalish delish from SG. But the
duet I present here is one of my all time favourites.
Songs really bloom when SG give up on the boom boom.
SPB / SPS had a hit together in Manathil Enna
Ninaivugalo, but I like this one more. He's all
vanilla, and she's all ice - and the song smoulders
with all the bubbly heat of a lava-lamp.
Here's what I really wish had happened: Somebody
should have locked up SGs drums set a long long time
ago, thrown the keys (no duplicates!) into the
Kaaveri, and...doesn't it sound good already?

P.S: The quality of the song is very bad. Naaz send me the song and requested me to find a better version. I couldnt find one so i hosted what he sent

madhu
19th June 2006, 06:41 AM
Ramki..

its one of my alltime fav.. once when I posted the lyrics of this song, many visitors asked for the song link... but we were unable to get a good version anywhere... I think till now.. all are searching :)

of course, the hero is Ravikumar... student of St.Bedes, Santhome ( classmate of my friend...I mean during that time....!! )

vel1970
19th June 2006, 07:46 AM
Ramki, SPB was fantastic in Nivedhaa song. He must have enjoyed his own singing. Ennamaa urugarar manushan. class machi :-)

jmahesh
19th June 2006, 09:41 PM
Ramki, thanks for the song.
Is this Shankar Ganesh vaaram?
If so could you please host 'sandhana punnagai sindhidum' some Vijaykanth movie.
I have a slightly better version of 'alai aliyaaga'
Do you need it.
The other song 'enai thedum ' from kannodu kann was aired quite frequently on radio those days.

Ramki
20th June 2006, 04:04 AM
vel ofcourse:)

Mahesh, This week i want to host some pending requests. Yours is next :)

Pls send me the alai alaiyaaga song..thanks

madhu
20th June 2006, 04:06 AM
vel ofcourse:)

Mahesh, This week i want to host some pending requests. Yours is next :)

Pls send me the alai alaiyaaga song..thanks
ramki :

appadiye andha pattai enakkum konjam forward pannungO.. plz :notworthy:

Ramki
20th June 2006, 04:07 AM
Pick #332

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/amudhe_kp.rm

Song: amudhe thamizhe
Movie: kovil puraa
Singers: PSuseela, Uma Ramanan
Lyrics: Pualamipithan
MD: iLaiyaraja

Amudhum thamizhum gets more sweeter with the voices of PS and UR , IR's music and PP's lyrics. The confidence of a
leader in PS voice and obedience of a sishyan in UR's adds more flavor and aunthenticity to this wonderfully crafted song.

'kovil puraa' story and songs were discussed when 'sangeethame' from the same was hosted a few weeks earlier.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=487007#487007

madhu
20th June 2006, 04:14 AM
Ramki..nice song... thanks..

ore problem ennanna... when I first hear the sweet voice of PS in this song, I never thought that she is singing for a boy )...

SN23
20th June 2006, 11:34 AM
Ramki, super song. Kai yeduthu IR-ai kumbidaNum. Appidiye ungaLaiyum thAn :-)

What an imagination in IR's composition. Nadhaswaram musical bits are spread on the music feast served by PS & UR. PS had enough of feathers and star accolades in her singing career, but in my view, UR did her best in this song.

Your comment "The confidence of a leader in PS voice and obedience of a sishyan in UR's adds more flavor and aunthenticity to this wonderfully crafted song" is excellent. But if I remember correct the childhood friends (Shankar and Saritha) sing this song and both of them are shishyas only.

The mesmarising line in this song "en kanavum ninaivum isaiyE, isai irundhAl maraNam yedhu". When UR repeats this line, enakku mei silirkkum :-)

Vazhga thamizh... vaLarga nam TFMPage :-)

jmahesh
20th June 2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks very much for the song Ramki.
I have seen this song only once on DD on black & white tv as a kid.But the song & song sequence remains deeply etched in my memory due to its inimai & the content.
Recently in Ilayaraja's one man show in Madras he sang this song with Bhavatharini.
IR & daughter in place of PS/UR respectively.
Bhavatharini was no match for IR and he was playfully bullying her & making her sing the lines again & again.She never did it perfectly even till the end. :)
Madhu , for boys the voice is quite squeaky or girlish until it breaks in adolosence.One more example of PS singing for a boy is 'kannizhandha pillaiku'

madhu
20th June 2006, 03:24 PM
mahesh : yeah ... I know.. but I never imagined that this song is for a boy.. thats all !

balaji
20th June 2006, 04:05 PM
Nice songs Ramki
(Alaiy Alaiy and Amudhe ..).

Not able to make a connection, is it songs starting with the letter 'A' this week?

Bala

rajeshkrv
20th June 2006, 10:00 PM
a great song.. Thamizhukku idhai vida oru nalla paatu kidaikaadhu PS & UR azhutham thiruthamaga paaduvathu innum azhagu

Ramki
21st June 2006, 06:48 AM
Bhavatharini?:)..Thank god she was just a baby during the peak years of IR :)

Ramki
21st June 2006, 06:58 AM
Pick #333

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ponnana_iv.rm

Song: ponnana uLLam unnodu irukka
Movie: iru veedugaL
Singer: BVasantha
Lyrics: ?
MD: Vkumar

There are not many solos by BVasantha. Her humming songs will easily outnumber the songs that has her singing some lyrics.
Thanks to NeelD for sending this rare song. He also sent me another solo of her from the film 'shri chamundeswari'.

Any other solos?

The following link says IV had Ravichandran and Sowkar.
Any more details?Anyone?

http://tfmpage.com/forum/9713.20880.03.21.22.html

madhu
21st June 2006, 07:02 AM
wow !

I think I am hearing this after many years...
they used to air it often in "thirai amudham" of vividh bharathi.. in the afternoon...

Nitya
21st June 2006, 07:03 AM
"Amudhe Thamizhe" is easily one of my fave IR songs... not just of that time period, but in ALL of Raja's 30 years of MDing. Almost needless to say, I can't tell you how expert the orchestration sounds in the song, esp. the nagaswaram.

I think this song inspired Raveendran Mash to compose "Pularkaala Sundara..." in the Mallu film 'Oru May Maasa Pulariyil,' released 6 years later, although I couldn't say for sure. :)

premananth
21st June 2006, 08:10 AM
It's true mahesh. I've watch the program. She never followed her father until the end of the song. Even, both Yuvan and karthik couldn't sang Chinnak kannan alzaikkiran in Andrum Indrum Endrum, Jaya TV show. YYYYYYY??????

Thanks for the nice and beautiful songs. First time i'm listening ponnana uLLam.

yvsmani
21st June 2006, 03:40 PM
Nice song. Listening after so longggggggggggggg time.

Regarding the other two latest picks, alai alai naan idhu thaan muthal murai ketkiren ena ninaikiren.
Abt kovil pura all the songs are good. All the singers would have done justice to their songs except SJ ( konjam antha pattu paaduvathil kashtapattaro ena thoandrum athai ketkum pozhuthellam)

balaji
21st June 2006, 04:03 PM
Ramki

'Ponnana neram' used to be played quiet frequently on Ilangai Vanoli. A very nice song...

This is our MSV's creation (not V Kumar). The interludes can vouch for that...

Bala

SN23
21st June 2006, 04:53 PM
Ramki, was Iru VeedugaL released? I have never heard about. Ravichandran & Sowcar paired in Kaviya Thalaivi and Ranga Rattinam. In this too? Somehow not able to digest Sowcar jodying with RC, AVMR (ThuNaivan, Prarthanai), Srikanth (Deivam, Edhir neechal) :-) Has she acted with Jaishankar as jodi? Could be with Muthuraman.

B.Vasantha's voice is very sweet in this song. She could have been utilised much more in TF's.

Neel D
21st June 2006, 11:01 PM
balaji,

V.Kumar is not "our" V.Kumar? :-)

I told Ramki that it was by V.Kumar. I wasn't sure of that myself and should have left it blank. You may be right that it is by MSV. Thank you.

SN23,

I think so too. BV must have been utilized more. I think she was typecast as the humming voice. I guess it is very hard break out of that in TF indsutry.

Ramki
22nd June 2006, 04:19 AM
Balaji, it coule very well be MSV. But the link i posted too says the MD is VK

Ramki
22nd June 2006, 04:29 AM
Pick #334

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ethanai_pp.rm

Song: ethanai malargaL thaavum
Movie: pattampoochi
Singers: TMS, SJanaki
MD: Srinivasan

Song requested by Premananth.

TMS and Sj have sung few duets and very very few of these few are sad songs . Todays pick takes the cake. Can
a song get any more sobby? I doubt :). From the lyrics i understand the song argues on arranged vs love marriage.

Pattimandram with azhugai naduvar :).
I have not seen this film but i have enjoyed the other song 'chakkarai panthalil'. TMS for Kamal is always a
no no to me so i try not to think about the picturisation.
Was this song too for KH? I know jayachitra was the heroine. Who are the other actors?

premananth
22nd June 2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks a lot for fulfill my request. As you said, it is a wonderful song.

I've watched the movie long time (around 10 - 12 years) ago in VCR.

Kamal and Jayachithra were the leads. It’s another Silappathigaram style of movie but a little changes in climax.

Kamal and JC were from poor family. Kamal is lonely and JC lives with her father. They fall in love and married. Along the movie Kamal said, “Kadal pola veedu, kappal maathiri Car-u, ippadi vaalzhanum.” He acted in a greedy role. In one of the scene, he had asked JC, if he leaves her, what she will do. She replied, “I’ll kill you and i will commit suicide”. Later Kamal founds an actress and married her. He got kadal mathiri veedu and kappal maathiri car. JC knows about it went to see him. The “ethanai malargaL thAvum” song sang by a way-faring couple when JC goes to kamal’s new house. After long argument, she stabbed him and swallows the diamond on their wedding ring. The story ends.

If I’m not mistaken, pattaampoochi was the first film Kamal did as solo hero.

Story, screenplay and directed by A.S.Praghasam.
This song wrote by Kannathaasanaar.
[/tscii][tscii]

jmahesh
22nd June 2006, 12:30 PM
Indha alavukku sob song kettadhae illai Ramki.
The Janaki part ofthe song reminded me of 'kannilae neer edharku'

balaji
22nd June 2006, 04:09 PM
Neel D:

Sorry the "our" was a typo. V Kumar-m "our" V Kumar than.

Ramki

"Chakkarai Panthalil Then Mazhai Pozhiyudhu" was a nice song, though this sob song used to be played frequently as well.

Nandri
Bala

vel1970
22nd June 2006, 09:50 PM
Mani: adhE thaan sariyaa sonnenga :-)
Mahesh: neenga sonnadhum sariyE.
I add some more.. b'cas of too much soha singing (vuuuuuuuuu), namakku soha uNarvu varaama, erichal thaan varudhu. Edhukkum oru aLavu vENum illaya? Innoru aLavu kadandha soha singing is OdathilE kaNNeeru... vengayam urikkaamyE kaNNula erichal varum.
Ramki, oru super chandrababu paatu irukka (definitely not azhgai paattu) :-)

vel1970
22nd June 2006, 10:01 PM
Ramki: Vasantha's solo is really a gem. As Neel and SN23 said she shoudl hv been given opportunities. Unlucky singer. After 2nd saraNam, her humming is lovely. Here too she uses cham cham cham type of hum. Definiteaa MSV's padaippu endru nambugirEn.

Ramki
23rd June 2006, 02:50 AM
Premananth thanks for the storyline. Storyline sounds very weird :)

Ramki
23rd June 2006, 02:55 AM
Pick #335

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/indru_vop.rm

Song: indru mudhal
Movie: veetukkoru piLLai
Singers: SPB, BVasantha

Here is another sweet duet by BV. She does the humming and sings one word :). Its a very cute song though. SPB's voice sounds young and fresh.

'Aenda raaja' from the same film was hosted few months ago. For discussion on this song and the film click here

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=361232#361232

jn
23rd June 2006, 03:04 AM
Ramki: B.Vasantha enRaale humming thaan ninaivukku varum. :)
solo song is very nice.
eththanai is not my favourite song. :)
In today's pick SPB's voice romba soft and sweet. :)

balaji
23rd June 2006, 07:28 AM
Ramki

Thanks

Spb - "Manjolodu KUngumam" enbathai "Manjoludu Kungumam" endru solvadhu Azhagaga Ulladhu...

Bala

SN23
23rd June 2006, 10:04 AM
jn: enakku BVasantha endralE Yesu nadhar pEsilnAl pAttu thAn ninaivukku varum. Was it for Devika?

BV is good in today's song too. I guess she is telugu speaking. But the pronounciation in tamil songs is really superior. In addition she sings with clarity.

Bala, SPB "ing" solradhukku badhilaa "ink" endru sollarar. Adhuvum suhamE :-)

SN23
23rd June 2006, 10:09 AM
Ramki: I saw some excerpts of PattAmpoochi. Jaichitra as usaul did over-acting and over-taking Kamal. He was just an on-looker mostly. He marries (or switches over) Usha. Usha acted with him in 2 more films ArangEtram and Unnai sutrum ulagam.

umaramesh
23rd June 2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for iindru mudhal song and i am looking for this so long. nice melody ,apt song for sleepy afternoon. :D just relax.

ramesh

yvsmani
23rd June 2006, 01:52 PM
reg pattam poochchi, titleil JC peyar thaan first varum, then only kamal's name

jmahesh
24th June 2006, 12:17 AM
Surprisingly Ramki, the song sounds very familiar especially BV's humming parts of the song & not the song itself.
Another good song with her humming is 'pottu vaitha mugamo'

jn
24th June 2006, 12:31 AM
jn: enakku BVasantha endralE Yesu nadhar pEsilnAl pAttu thAn ninaivukku varum. Was it for Devika?

SN23: correct. yesu naadhar is for dhevikaa in thaaye unakkaaga. :)

Ramki
25th June 2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone.

Mahesh, the humming part reminds me of some hindi song..i cant tell which one though.

Ramki
26th June 2006, 01:08 AM
Pick #336

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kai_vc.rm

Song: kai veenaiyai aendhum
Movie: vietnam colony
Singer : Bombay Jaishree
Lyrics: vaali

Early 80s. MSV was working in less movies and introducing even less singers. His songs were getting less air time, some even went without being aired. One such album was 'thambathigaL'.
ThambathigaL had sivakumar and poornima jairam and i think it was directed by Muktha Srinivasan. MSV introduced a new singer Jaishree. He gave her two duets with SPB. I remember one song 'vaada kaNNa hare hare gokulakrishna'. The film was not a hit and the songs got aired for the period the film was in the theatres(which was not very long).
Jaishree vanished from TFM scene but later became a leading karnatic singer. She now had Bombay tag attached to her name(dont know why)
Todays pick is her second break in TFM. 'narumagaiye' happened 3 yrs later and with 'vaseegara',released 4 yrs after narumagaiye, she became a household name.

'vietnam colony' was a bad remake of Mohanlal malayalam hit with the same title. Prabhu did ML's role and vineetha did kanaga's.
Tamil version was directed by Santhana Bharathi
Todays song is picturised on veteran actress Jayanthi.
The film had few other song but only this pick was listenable.

madhu
26th June 2006, 02:22 AM
Hi Ramki

I had a doubt about the singer of "thambathigaL" song. Thanks for the clarification. :P

balaji
26th June 2006, 05:20 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the song.

The movie recently was shown on Sun TV and I happen to watch the film and the film was not bad at all. However that may be beacuse the original could have been even better. However songs were so bad except this one. Swarnalatha crooning an unforgettable seduction like song, Mano as usual doing a below par song, and then a dappanguthu song with beats similar to IR's songs of the 90s. IR was very disappointing.

This song was good more because of the unique voice of the singer, than anything to do the song itself IMHO.

Thanks for hosting the song

Bala

SN23
26th June 2006, 11:21 AM
Ramki, I thought there were 4 songs in ThampathigaL. 2 solos of Jayashree and 2 duets with SPB. I waguely remember the story also....With suspicion Sivakumar ruining the family life with Poornima. The voice of JS was very young and did not have the kara karappu that of her's these days. Enna saaptaangaLO theriyalai :-)

MSV only introduced Swarnalatha also in Chinanchiru kiLiye kaNNamma song.

Vietnam Colony film had a good start with village background, where Jayanthi (Prabhu's mother) teaches music to children. The picturisation of this song is not for the full song, if I am correct. B.JS did a decent job. Thanks for the good song Ramki.

rajraj
26th June 2006, 07:38 PM
SN23: Jayshri went through a lot in personal life. It must have had an effect on her voice. :( She has since picked up and is moving forward.

rajeshkrv
26th June 2006, 08:31 PM
mano & swaranalatha's MArghazhi maasam was a catchy number too

Ramki
27th June 2006, 04:13 AM
Madhu, my pleasure :)

Balaji, totally agree. Songs were unbearable.

SN23 you could be right. Enakku ninaivilirundhadhai sonnen :)
I find her voice more suitable for jayanthi than for reemas or Meeras. :)

Ramki
27th June 2006, 05:19 AM
Pick #337

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/sapta_nu.rm

Song: saptaswaram punnagaiyil
Movie: naadagame ulagam
Singers : SPB, VaniJairam
MD: VKumar

One of the good duets by VK during his 'almost VRS' phase :). The interludes, voices and lyrics, esp the lyrics make this a great song.

Look vaali writes:

'angangaL engengum kaalathin kolangalae'

If you have watched the picturisation you would understand vaalis nayaandi. I did, thanks to oLiyum oliyum.

padakatchyai kaNdu en 'sapthaswara' punnagai maraindhu, 'saptanaadiyum' uraindhu ponadhu:)

A 40+(age/hipsize ) KRVijaya in mini, midi, jeans, maxie etc etc singing this duet with a much young looking Mohan(Lakshmi's ex).
Shocking enough for a kid to loose sleep for several nights :)

indha kaatchiyai karpanaithukondaal vaaliyin andha otrai variyin artham puriyum :)

Kindals aside, the song is a good one and was a popular one. Its not easy to find these songs nowdays. No worries for me though, i just need to send a request to NeelD and pronto he sends me from his treasure.
I have done this before, but again I want to use this opportunity to thank NeelD for being a great source of long forgotten songs

madhu
27th June 2006, 05:39 AM
Shocking enough for a kid to loose sleep for several nights

nijam.. :shock: 1000% nijam... :rotfl:

but... what a nice song ? :P

Neel D
27th June 2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the kind words Ramki. I am glad I can share all these rare, beautiful songs with tfm fans through you. Thank you for your service.

natha1729
27th June 2006, 08:53 AM
I thought Vaazhvin Sowbhagiyam Vandhadhu was from Vijay Bhasker. What a fullness and such richness in V.Kumar' compositions. I did not know so far?! Very nostalgic about V.Kumar and VijayBhasker song's more than any other composer's, including my favorite underdogs, Sankar-Ganesh. Their songs were like pillar songs upon which Ungal Viruppam ran other evergreen compositions. What happened to these silent geniuses? Was Ilaiyaraaja the cause that we lost these musical gods? Is this what IR meant by stamina to face the competition?

umaramesh
27th June 2006, 10:36 AM
What happened to these silent geniuses? Was Ilaiyaraaja the cause that we lost these musical gods? Is this what IR meant by stamina to face the competition?

Dear Natha

V.kumar&vijay bhaskar belonging to 60's&70'S era., i.e when MSV was at his peak. They were not able to make much presence due to MSV factor but they did remarkable songs . Late 70's they dont have any presence at all.

ramesh

SN23
27th June 2006, 10:47 AM
Ramki, aniyAyaththukku kolreenga.. pAvam KRV :lol:

I read some comments about this film from a old magazine. It seems KRV looked like KRV of Ooty varai uravu days :lol:

Songs incl Aandavan bhoomiyil (solo by PS) were good.

Vairamuthu sonnadhu pOla, VJ's singing is like a mayil thEn kudithu vittu pAdiyadhu mAdhiri irukkum indha pAttil :-) Wonderful song and singing (not lyrics 'angangaL...' :lol:)

jmahesh
27th June 2006, 03:43 PM
Ramki ungal comments padithu sirippu adakka mudiyavillai.vayirae punnaahivittathu. :lol:
I have seen this movie and have this song in my collection. & the only thing i remember in this movie is this song.
In the last scene of the movie someone would comment 'nadagame ulagam'
During my childhood I used to like to listen to the 2nd interlude where SPB & VJ sing 'papapa sanisa...' and would increase the volume of the radio just for that time.

Ramki
28th June 2006, 04:46 AM
SN23
then kuditha mayil???

mayil kuralle inimaiye illaiye??then kudichaa innum mosamanaa irukkum?:)

balaji
28th June 2006, 05:05 AM
Ramki

Nalla selection (good laugh you gave us!)

SPB-VJ-Vaali-Kumar combination-la 2 great songs, one is this and the other Superstars Chathurangam.

Thanks for the nice song

Bala

balaji
28th June 2006, 05:05 AM
Ramki

Nalla selection (good laugh you gave us!)

SPB-VJ-Vaali-Kumar combination-la 2 great songs, one is this and the other Superstars Chathurangam.

Thanks for the nice song

Bala

Ramki
28th June 2006, 05:08 AM
Pick #338

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ninai_ao.rm

Song: ninaithadhai mudippadhu
Movie: aayirathil oruthi
Singers : PSuseela, SPB
Lyrics: vaali ?

'AO' is yet another KRV film but in this one KRV was less adventerous and donned her regular traditional look. Long long ago, thanks to DD(or no thanks? :) i watched this boring film.
Film had KRV paired with Balaji,sujatha with srikanth and kamalhassan with Jaisudha. If i remember correctly, KRV played aNNi to sujatha and Jaisudha. Sujatha is a lawyer and her brother balaji(married to KRV) is a drunkard.
Kamal played his usual role of 70s..playboy.
Todays song is picturised on kamal and Jaisudha.

I love the song for the voices of SPB and PS. They sound very good together in this song. This used to be a rare song but i recently saw this in one of SPB duet CDs.

Other songs from AO
'kovil nalla kovil'(PS)
'enakkoru udhavi sei'(SPB,VJ)

balaji
28th June 2006, 05:24 AM
Ramki

Sure, sweet voices of SPB and PS.

"Kadavul amaithu vaitha medai" in sayal balamaga ulladhu indha padalil sila idangalil. Arambam vera padali pol ulladhu, but unable to point it

Isn't this movie where KRV would be 'Maavu Atting?'
Remember the poster like this

Bala

premananth
28th June 2006, 08:51 AM
You have hosted very very nice songs.

thanks.

I went to overseas so I couldn't joint the forum for last few days.

If i'm not mistaken B.Vasantha got TamilNadu- kalaimAmaNi award recently by JAYA's Gov.

In AO (a typical KRV oriented or heroine dominant story - KRV and sujatha). Pavam balaji, srikanth and kamal. KRV went to prison because of killed a pannaiyar. The case handled by Sujatha. She asked KRV to married her drunker Brother Balaji. Sri kanth was a policeman. Later comes know that Kamal was the killer. (actually some other killed him).

Ramki, actually AO is a boring film but not that boring. I've watched recently in RAJ tv. oklah....

SN23
28th June 2006, 10:10 AM
Ayya Ramki, Mayil mosama paadum-naa, kuyil endru vaithu koLLungaL. Andha statement was by VM, therinjukkunga :-)

KRV-ai undu illainnu paNNu mudivaa? Next song must be from Naan vaazha vaippEn (Thiru theril varum silaiyO). KRV comes with boy-cut short hair and pudikka pudikka tight pant and shirt :lol:

AO song is a mix of "edho ninaithadhu" song and Kadavul amaithu vaitha mEdai, but a good duet to listen (me hearing for the 1st time). Nandri Ramki.

BTW, Balaji and KRV paired in a film Gowri (??), a re-make of Chiththi (Padmini - MR Radha film).

rajdes
28th June 2006, 04:50 PM
"Thiru theril varum silai" - Pattu
"Silai varum ther" - visuals :-)

umaramesh
28th June 2006, 04:58 PM
Ramki

Thanks a lot. Really rare one. somehow resembles AAM THUM from the hindi film bobby. Very nice to hear this song after a long time.

ramesh

jmahesh
28th June 2006, 09:16 PM
Never heard this good song before Ramki.
Yesterday I happened to watch Jaya tv afternoon movie for about 1/2 hr .And lo behold , this was another obscure KRV movie.The moment I saw her in the movie I couldnot control myself laughing ,remembering your comments of Nadagame Ulagam.
THis one was called 'Janaki Sabatham'with KRV,Ravichandran,VA Nirmala& Vijaykumar.There was a very good song though much to my surprise'Ilamai kovil ondru'

Ramki
30th June 2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks everyone.

Mahesh :)

'iLamai kovil ondru' is a lovely song

jmahesh
30th June 2006, 03:38 PM
Ramki ,rendu naala paatae illai.Enne aayitru? :roll:

Ramki
30th June 2006, 04:49 PM
Pick #339

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/anangan_kk.rm

Song: anangan angathan
Movie: kaNkaatchi
Singers : SPB, LRE
MD: kunnakudi vaidhyanathan

A tongue twister for sure. The song has some unusual words. I wonder who the lyricisit is. My friend mentioned that actor sivakumar , in one of his interviews, stated that he had a tough time lip syncing to this song.
What is more surprising to me is how close SPBs voice sounds to Sivakumar's . LRE too does a good job.
Bhakthi paadal type of music and weird rock music interludes in the latter part are the downsides of the song.
I believe a herd of actors were in this movie. Was the song picturised on Sivakumar and kumari padmini?

Thanks to Neel D for sending this song.

jmahesh
30th June 2006, 05:39 PM
May be the film was named 'Kankaatchi' after the herd of actors who were cast in the movie.
I have heard this song several times in the past on radio.
The song being like a bhakthi paatu suits it ,due to the sandham in the song.Its the rock music that folows that spoils it.
It reminds me of 'muthai thiru'? by TMS

thenraja
1st July 2006, 03:52 AM
Pick #339

Bhakthi paadal type of music and weird rock music interludes in the latter part are the downsides of the song.
I believe a herd of actors were in this movie. Was the song picturised on Sivakumar and kumari padmini?
Ramki,
yes, this song is for Sivakumar & Kumari Padmini. I think it is A. Sagunthala and 'kallapart' Natarajan who comes on stage for the western type interludes.
The film had Manorama & Suruli too.

madhu
1st July 2006, 05:43 AM
Ramki..

the song starts with the voice of APN.. and continues with SPB and LRE..
Sivakumar and Kumari Padmini as Rathi manmadhan in flower dresses... and KaLLapart Natarajan and A.Sakunthala dancing with small bulbs attached to their dress.. :lol:

suruLi and manorama watching... :P

thenraja
1st July 2006, 07:44 AM
Another song I can think of from 'kaN kAtchi' is 'kANum kalai ellAm kaN kAtchi' by PBS and MR Vijaya.

premananth
1st July 2006, 08:38 AM
Nalla, santhamulla paadal varigaL. thanks Ramki.

I like the way both SPB and LRE said the word "en uyir mannavA" in different type and feelings.

I had the same experience too with Sivakumar.
I've meet him during his few visits to KL.

He mentioned all the APN's dialog before this song. I'm wondering, during our conversation, he talk about all his experience with APN and the movies dialog. not only his but also co-artistes. Great.

I'll attach the wordings by APN and the song lyric on Monday. Can I Ramki Sir?

madhu
1st July 2006, 08:45 PM
thenraja...

one more good song..

"kuRavar kulam kaakkum kumarA nee vAzhga"

vel1970
2nd July 2006, 11:14 PM
Ramki.... kindly excuse me for my comment on LRE singing carnatic style song.
Kasappu kadai kaari, kanchipuram pattu sElai kattikittu, aattu kedaa vettina kadhai pOla irukku.... LRE indha classical base song paadinadhu. Kunnakudi could have given a thought before engaging her for this song.
Meendum sorry ramki.

Ramki
3rd July 2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for providing more details

Premananth, You sure can.

Vel, enkitte edhukku apology kekkareenga?:)

Sorry for the delay in posting songs.
Can i give you a clue for the next song?:)

The film had a real life pair in the role of aNNi-maithunan. They ended up marrying different persons. The song was picturised on the hero and a punjab beauty(!!). The punjab kiLi and the other heroine are in kutti tv now.
The film had music by a malayalam MD.

Song?

Ramki
4th July 2006, 04:13 AM
Pick #340

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/thodu_dd.rm

Song: thodu thodu vaa
Movie: Dharma devathai
Singers : SJanaki, KJYesudoss
MD: Ravindran

A lovely duet by one of the best MD's of India. The song has his favorite singers KJY and SJ, who has sung some very good songs in both tamil and malayalam under his direction.
If i remember right, Ravindran made his debut in 'Hemavin kadhalargaL'. A good film with Anuradha in the lead. The film flopped and the MD went unnoticed.
Thanks to actress Ambika, he resurfaced again in tamil with Rasigan oru rasigai. He did not do many films in Tamil but each of his album had atleast one good song.
'dharma devathai' was produced by AVM studios and had
Vijaykanth, Radika, Sarathbabu and Pallavi in the lead.
I believe this is the only film with Radhika in police role.
I'm not sure if this film did well . Haven't listend to any other song from this film.

madhu
4th July 2006, 05:08 AM
Hi Ramki..

yes..Radhika in police roll.. and I think Aruvadai naaL ( debut film of Pallavi ) and this one got released at the same time.. !

SN23
4th July 2006, 11:55 AM
Ramki, did you mean Vijaykanth and Radhika as the real life pair? I think they were not married, right? Only koodal pinbu oodal :-)

Radhika acted as aNNi for VK? HaiyahO :-(

Innoru haiyahO for Pallavi... invanga pOyi Punjab kiLiyaa? :lol:

I think Ravindran gave very challenging songs to Chitra also, who did enough justice to her Master.

Vel1970: Kasappu kadaiyila kAran thAna iruppanga... kAri undA? orE smell adikkudhu :-)

balaji
4th July 2006, 07:11 PM
Good song..

Anal thedeernu 'Endhano Mahana Bhavallu' padiduvangalonu bayandhen. Ravindran did not disappoint me, he gave that as an instrumental piece..

Thanks Ramki.
Bala

From Mars
4th July 2006, 08:21 PM
another interesting song by Raveendran is ' Sri bhuaneswari aruL puri'. The interesting part is "beat"; it changes for every line, I believe :)

jmahesh
4th July 2006, 10:02 PM
There was one more song in this film which used to aired on radio, in addition to this song,cant remember now.
It was an average movie which had a 50 day run.
There was one particular scene in which 'anni beats up 'maithunan'in a public place with a lathi which found positive mention in the vikatan/kumudam vimarsanam.
Thanks Ramki.

Ramki
5th July 2006, 03:13 AM
Mahesh, i too remember reading that review. But i think aNNi beats up her own husband(sarathbabu), a labor leader and throw him in jail.

Ramki
5th July 2006, 03:47 AM
Pick #341

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/poovo_py.rm

Song: poovo ponno
Movie: pudhu yugam
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
MD: Gangai Amaran

'sivakumarum vijaykanthum inaindhu nadikkum mudhal thamizh thiraipadam' was the tagline for this SAChandrasekhar film.
After the successful combo of Rajini and Bakyaraj in 'naan sigappu manithan', SAC tried his hand on 2 hero subject with PY.
But PY came and disappeared like a tiny rain drop on a hot sultry day. I think the song was picturised on sivakumar and Viji. I could be wrong but i think anuradha was VK's jodi
Unlike the film, todays song will remain in the memory of all song lovers for its melody, lyrics and powerful rendition by SJ and KJY.
(But why KJY pronounces deebam as deeppam ? :)

premananth
5th July 2006, 09:35 AM
Nice songs Ramki sir.

SN23, ungga Oodal Koodal viLakkam, nalla joke.

Sorry for the late. Here I give the song lyrics.

APN:
veNNilavai kudai pidithu
vIsu thendral thEr ERi
men kuyilthAn isai mulzhangga
mIn varaintha kodi asaiya
kaNkavarum pEralzhagi kanagamaNi poRpAvai
anna nadai rathiyudanE alzhagu maghan villEnthi
thanmullai thAmarai mA thaninIlam asOgamenum
vaNNamalar kaNai thoduththAn
vaiyamellam vAlzhgavenRE

LRE:
anaggan angkajan anban
vasanthan manmathan enRum
vaNanggum en uyir mannavA.... (anaggan)
maNNuyirkkinbam valzhanggum un
pugalzh sollavA

SPB:
kathambam seNbagham thanggum
karungkUnthal kavinponggum
kaninthOnggum kayaRkanniyE...(kathambam)
anbelzhunthanggam kalanthinbam tharum kanniyE

LRE:
Adalum pAdalum anbin Udalum kUdalum
inbam thEdalum un seyalallavA
nIyillai enRAl vAdidum vaiyagamallavA

SPB:
alzhagu thamilzhE palzhagum isaiyE
amutha nilaiyE unathu seyalAl
antharangga sinthu pAduvAi
santhatham kAthal manthiraththai thinam nAduvAi

LRE:
maNam konjum malar manjam
adainthuLLam kuLirnthanggam
kalanthanbin nalam kANuvOm

SPB:
guNam koikum aNanggE un
maNam koNdEn manam thanthEn
iNainthonRAi sugam kANuvOm

LRE:
kalanthanbin nalam kANuvOm

SPB:
iNainthonRAi sugam kANuvOm

LRE:
mannA vA

SPB:
kaNNE vA

LRE:
nI vA

SPB:
vA

(anaggan)
vel1970, if you said LRE voice like kasappukkaari for this song, what is your comment for M.R.Vijaya's voice for kAnum kalai ellaam kan kAtchi ?

note: kAnum kalai ellAm by PBS ans Sarala for Sivakumar & kumari bathimini(classic), and M.R.Vijaya and Ponnusamy for sakunthala ans nadarajan (modern).

i love the song 'buvaneswari arulpuri" from the movie thAyE nIyE thuNai. beautiful song by KJY and Cithra.

RC
5th July 2006, 10:13 PM
Ramki: VK had a small role in this movie, I think. VK & SK are good friends; VK goes to jail (I dont know why - may be for Anuradha's murder?). And SK will be out to find out the reason and get VK out of Jail. KalyanKumar & Srividhya played SK's b-i-l and sis and as Viji's Parents, I think.

padam periya bore... aaana adhayum fullaa paathirukken.. :(

From Mars
5th July 2006, 10:25 PM
padam periya bore... aaana adhayum fullaa paathirukken.. :(

ithai neenga solliyaa naanga therinjukaNum. engaLukku yErkanavE ithu theriyum ;)

RC
6th July 2006, 01:38 AM
FM: ungaLukku theriyaadhu-nu edhuna irukkaa enna? :)

Ramki
6th July 2006, 04:53 AM
premananth thanks for the lyrics

RC thanks for the story line.

FM :)

Ramki
6th July 2006, 05:09 AM
Pick #342

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/mudhal_p.rm

Song: mudhal mutha mogam
Movie: pudhir
Lyrics: Vairamuthu

Around poovilangu time, Murali was touted as the next super star of Tamil filmdom. He had a dark complexion, kannadiga and was introduced by Balachander productions. But soon Murali found out that those 3 aspects are just not enough to become even a shining star in the tinsel world .
Following poovilangu , he *ed in a string of flops. To resurrect his crumbling career , his dear daddy produced (and directed?) the film 'pudhir'.
Why he made such a film will always remain a pudhir :)
Sadhana, a new face, was introduced in this film.

Apart from this song and a loud 'hero hero hero naane naane'(KJY), there was nothing worth to remember of this film.

Todays song is a just a gem. SJ sounds cho chweet in this song.
From the lyrics , the situation sounds like a very 'unusual' scene in tamil cinema. adamant heroine, rowdy hero..he kisses her and pronto she falls in love with him. Such a creative thinking..wonder who was the first director to think out this situation. :)

balaji
6th July 2006, 05:19 AM
Nalla song

I have heard hero-hero in Kannada as well

Aduthathu Paruva Raagam song thane

Bala

Meerakrishna
6th July 2006, 05:29 AM
Ramki, thanks for those 3 songs, esp thoda thoda song is suuuuper, I never heard that song before. and poovo ponno song is also super. and mudhal mutham song kannada version of 'sihi mutta needi eno modi madi anganga jum endu unmada kande' from 'Ajeya' movie, *murali and sandhya,except KJY bad pron in kannada, SJ sounds ssssooooooo sweet in both songs. Thank U sooooooooo much, expecting more SJ rare songs. One more duet song I heard, that song was the hindi version of 'kate nahi sakti din e raat',Sridevi and anilkapoor, but unfortunately I dont know the tamil lyrics, Ramki do you have that song.

Thanks in advance
Meerakrishna

jmahesh
6th July 2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the songs Ramki.
'Poovo ponno'was heard frequently on radio at the time of movie's release.
I have heard the kannada versions of songs from 'pudhir'.

Ramki
7th July 2006, 04:32 AM
I too have listened to kannada version of 'hero hero' but not of 'mudhal mutha'.

Meerakrishna , the tamil equivalent of Mr.India song is 'en kaadhal naayagan madiyile'(rathathin rathathame). I do not have this song :(

Ramki
7th July 2006, 04:47 AM
Pick #343

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ennai_oo.rm

Song: ennai azhaithadhu
Movie: oruvanukku oruthi
Lyrics: kaNNadasan?

Thanks to Ramanan for sending this rare song.

I have never listened to this song before but have read about it in Vamanans article on VK. (http://audio.tfmpage.com/my/md/vkumar1.html)

This is also one of the few songs(three?) SJ has sung for VKumar.
She has given her best in this song for the MD who never cared for her voice .

'Saravanan sonnan' from the same movie was featured in POW before.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=192738#192738

I think todays song is picturised on Jaishankar and lakshmi. I can almost imagine Lakshmis expressions :) SJ's voice always suited her very well.

Meerakrishna
7th July 2006, 05:19 AM
Ramki, thanks you so much for the information of tamil 'Mr.India' ( I mean rathathin rathame), recently I heard that song(watch) through DVD. And thanks again for another beautiful gem of SJ 'ennai azhaithadu'. Waiting for another one.

balaji
7th July 2006, 07:15 AM
good Song Ramki!

Surprised you saying you have never heard this song before

Used to play frequently (really miss those Ilangai Vanoli days)

Thanks Ramki
Excellent SJ_KJY picks.

Bala

madhu
7th July 2006, 07:24 AM
Ramki..

this one is very popular in air..( I heard it often.. :roll: ). neenga kEttadhillaiya ?

aduthadhu endha song ? ( just like u did for dharma devadhai song.. quiz keLungaLEn :P)

From Mars
7th July 2006, 06:55 PM
I haven't heard this before either. nice song!

natha1729
8th July 2006, 03:04 AM
Ennai Azathathu, that is what this song is doing to me. Rare among the rare tunes, and most beautiful. V.Kumar Sir I miss you Sir!

natha1729
8th July 2006, 03:15 AM
What I see that single character of V.Kumar that no other composer has is the way the pallavi begins. Ennai Azhaithathu, and that SPB/PS duet for example. Because of this unbelievable dramatic trait, his repertoire and quantity was limited. I mean we have some of the extraordinaraire beginning with Salilda, then Arjunan, Shyam, Vijay Bhasker, K.J. Joy, Sankar-Ganesh to name the best in the most sweet Pallavi openers, V.Kumar is as I hear more of him has the most beautiful opening tunes.

natha1729
8th July 2006, 03:22 AM
Vaazhvil Sowbaghyam Vandadhu and Ennai Azhaithathu, two forgotten duets for me now has become no.1 & n0.1 tunes, replacing even my favorite Evide Kattinu Sugandham (Salilda) and Kanchi Pattututhi (MSV)! Thanks Ramki. How many more such gems lost in the IR tsunami?!

Neel D
9th July 2006, 10:46 PM
Listening to "ennai azaiththathu" after many many years. Such a lovely song with a 70s flavor all over it. I did not realize that V.Kumar used SJ rarely until Ramki mentioned it. However, this song is a keeper. Thanks Ramki.

jmahesh
9th July 2006, 10:47 PM
Nice song Ramki.
Have it in my collection.

Ramki
10th July 2006, 03:45 AM
Thanks everyone. Though im sad i missed this nice song for all these years, im glad i discovered it now

Madhu didnt see your post till now. Will 'setup' a similar quiz soon :)

Ramki
10th July 2006, 04:37 AM
Pick #344

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/thoonda_vv.rm

Song: thoonda mani viLakku
Movie: vaazhga vaLarga
Singer : Chitra

I used to love vikatan's reviews. Some of them were so short and very apt. Like the review for 'mudivalla arambam'. It had only one line mudivalla aa'rambam' :). This review is just unforgettable. So was the review for 'vaazhga vaLarga'. The review was given in four cartoon drawings(no wordings were used).
The first one was the depiction of Malaysia vasudevan chasing saritha. The second of Rajesh chasing saritha. Third a group of villagers chasing MV and the fourth..this whole group plus saritha, Rajesh and MV chasing the audience out of the theatres :)
The film was given 25/100.
AV's reviews has become too liberal these days. Especially their review of songs. The current reviewers heap praises on average or below average songs :(

Anyway thanks to this review and this beatiful solo by chitra i will never forget this film :). In her early stages, chitra's voice had a child like quality to it. This helps a lot in this song.
Another good song from VV ' nethuvarai yaarodu' by SJ, Mano

madhu
10th July 2006, 05:51 AM
:exactly:

Ramki
10th July 2006, 06:14 AM
clue for next song:

She made her debut in this film. She is now married to a kaNNadiga actor who has also acted in atleast one tamil film :) . The song is a solo by a tamil singer. Another song from the same film was hosted in POW before.

balaji
10th July 2006, 07:20 AM
Ramki

Actress: Sumalatha
Actor: Ambarish (Film: Priya)
Film: Thisai Mariya Paravaigal
Singer: Vani Jairam (Avai vittal Tamil singernu salla appozhudhu ethani perai sollalam?)

Endha paadal endru theriya villai.

Correcta...?

Bala

tfmlover
10th July 2006, 09:42 AM
could be.
Ullam urugaatha endhan oonum urugaathaa
thannai azhaithaal arugil varuvaai peranbu gurunaatha muruga

jmahesh
10th July 2006, 05:00 PM
I faintly remember that Vazhga...vimarsanam Ramki. :)
I also agree with your opinion about current Vikatan vimarsanams.Recently 'BOYS' had a very critical 3 line reviewI have noticed also that good or above average movies with no big stars getting lower marks than big heros average or bad movie. There was a time when Vikatan had a self imposed ban for a year on movie reviews when it was criticised for its review of some movie. I think it is' Mirudhanga Chakravarthy'
Chitra's early songs had a nasal twang , which was nice in a way.
Ramki , have a listen to kannada version of 'mudhal mutha moham'.Some how the Tamil version gives me a feeling like a dubbed song. I am not sure if this is b'cos I have heard the kannada songs before.
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/18/s/movie_name.2125/

From Mars
10th July 2006, 08:56 PM
Ramki, I thought Radha RAvi acted in VV? I like IR song too, 'chitu kuruvi paaru kattu kathai kELu' .

Those days Vikatan vimarsanam is too good. I remember vimarsanam for 'anjali', 'naayagan', 'bandham'. These days, I don't even bother to read it at all.

RC
10th July 2006, 10:17 PM
FM: I too think RadhaRavi acted in VV with a wierd getup (kannathukuLLaara edho vachukitta maadhiri.. like kamal did in Nayagan).
Saritha as his wife ? not sure.. and I think this song comes as a lullaby by Saritha on screen.

From Mars
10th July 2006, 11:29 PM
that's correct RC. I saw this movie long time ago, I don't remember except these two songs and raadha ravi 'getup'. mmmmm :)

Ramki
11th July 2006, 03:40 AM
Balaji, TFMlover..you got it :)

Mahesh thanks for the link. You are right, the song does sound better in the original .

RC, FM since you guys have actually watched this picture(porumaisalingapaa), i stand corrected. It is Radharavi :)

Ramki
11th July 2006, 03:58 AM
Pick #345

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/ullam_dmp.rm

Song: uLLam urugaatha
Movie: dhisai maariya paravaigaL
Singer : Vani Jairam

Nun singing about mayilvaganun. This might explain the unnecessary church bell sounds in the start of an otherwise neat song, sung majestically by VJ. She sings in a high scale and with total clarity.
Though they are totally dissimilar the veena interludes and VJ's voice reminds me of another MSV solo 'kandhanukku maalaiyittaL'(uzhaikkum karangaL).

'Raaja vaada singakutti' From DMP was hosted in POW . Here is the link.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=139602#139602

balaji
11th July 2006, 05:08 AM
Nandri Ramki!

How did I forget this song, VJ mai silirkka Vaithu vittar. (As I have written earlier VJ was not my favorite as she was not the favorite singer of my favorite MD!). MSV-VJ combo always excels.

Nun singing about Mayilvaga'Nun' was Neat Ramki.

Adutha Song clue kodungalen! Indha style romba Nandraga Irukku

Thanks
Bala

Ramki
11th July 2006, 05:23 AM
Thanks Balaji

Clue for next song

Its a spoof of an old song. This satire was sung by a old time singer. One of the actors who appeared in the song sequence is senthil.

Naaz
11th July 2006, 09:00 AM
Ramki -

Ullaththai Urukki, Deiveegaththil "Nun"aiththuvittaargal MSV-um VJ-um! A soul searing song, sung with absolute piety and pitch-perfect dedication. Murugaa would be in complete meltdown (the nice kind) mode with such an invocation! Thanks for this divine moment!

ShankarV69
11th July 2006, 12:48 PM
I watched the song "anangan angathan" from the film "kaNkaatchi" yesterday in JTV's Then Kinnam presented by KV

The song was picturised on Sivakumar and Usha Nandhini (i think)

Shankar

SN23
11th July 2006, 03:50 PM
VJ is fabulous in uLLam urugAdha song. ULLam urigiyadhu endrAl migai AgAdhu. Manam kasindhu pAdhuvadhu VJ's special trait.

Sumalatha's first film in Tamil!! I think it was heavy load on her to show innocense and youthfulness in first half and restrained and composed flavour in second half. She did quite well. I think she sings this in front of her pAtti (Kumudhini???), as the pAtti wanted to see the pEththi in person before her death. Sumalatha in Nun attire singing with veeNai in her hand in praise of Lord Muruga. Vinodha karpanai but innovative.

Nandri Ramki.

SN23
11th July 2006, 03:53 PM
Shankar, it is Kum.Padmini in KaN KAtchi. UN and KP has some similarities, I too agree. In fact, KP is a very good classical dancer whereas UN is very good weight lifter (Ramki-ai kElunga... sirikka sirikka solvAr :lol:)

balaji
11th July 2006, 04:48 PM
Ramki

Sorry, Clue puriyavillai. Can we get more Clues?

bala

Naaz
11th July 2006, 06:48 PM
THE BEST OF ILAYARAJA AND A.R.RAHMAN

I am planning a special 2 hour radio programme on the BEST of IR and ARR in Tamizh and Hindi Films. The show (if all goes well) will be aired on 23rd July 2006 on :

www.citr.ca

8-10 pm PDT.

I could use all the help and input you can provide. Please drop me a line at naaz99@yahoo.com and I will be glad to tell you my requirements. Hope you can make this programme a success...I will check for your email messages all of this and next week. Thanks in advance.

Naaz

RC
11th July 2006, 07:28 PM
Ramki: Is it "vaaryO thozha vaarayO malar manjam kaaNa vaaraayO" from aangaLai nambaathE *ing Pandian, AlexPandiyan, Rekha, Senthil etc sung by TMS?

Ramki
12th July 2006, 02:58 AM
SN23 :-)

Oops Balaji, im too late. Anyway RC figured it out :)

balaji
12th July 2006, 03:15 AM
Ramki

No problem!

Anyways, I could have never guessed this song. Too weak in the post late-80s period song.

Bala

Ramki
12th July 2006, 04:47 AM
Pick #346

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/vaaraayo_an.rm

Song: vaarayo thozha
Movie: aangaLai nambaadhe
Singer : TMS
MD: Devendran

Its been a long time since we had a funny song in POW.

Vaali should be give the credit for writing this funny spoof of the famous paasamalar song. The lines are hilarious. But TMS is a bad choice for this iLamaiyaana song. MV might have been a better option.

'aangaLai nambadhe' was a sodhappal adaptation of stella bruce's vikatan thodarkathai (first?) 'oru muraithaan pookum'. I have read few of SB's stories and liked his narrative style. AN had Rekha and Pandian and few others.
'kaadhal kaayangaLe' (KJY, MV) is another good song from AN

Devendran is one of those good MD's who were denied more chances in TFilmdom. Though he stuck to IR's style, his tunes and singer choices were mostly good. I like his mannukuL vairam vedham pudhidhu, kaalai neeye maalai neeye songs.
He made a comeback as Ravidevendran with visu's 'meendum savithri'. I believe he is doing tv serials these days.

AV
12th July 2006, 05:19 AM
Naaz,

I look forward to your program. Your previous program on VJ about a year ago (songs + interview) was out of this world. The song selection was terrific as well ("dhoom tana...", "mora saajan" and "sri gaNanaadham" in one program!). Coincidentally, you happened to play all my favourite songs :-)

My recommendations for ARR + the IR program:

For IR, it will be lovely to have the VJ solo enuLLil engo, and/or en kalyaNa vaibhogam. And the choiciest classical song by KJY under IR's baton.

For ARR in Hindi, I recommend "ek tu hi bharosa" in Pukar or a song from Earth 1947 - "eeshwar allah tere jahaan mein nafrat kyon hai jang hai kyon" (a song that asks God an apt question one day after seven ghastly blasts in Mumbai). The song is very soulful. I also recommend the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan song "chandaa sooraj...." in ARR's private album "Maa Tujhhe Salaam".

In any case, I am sure that your pick will be nice.

Naaz
12th July 2006, 06:35 AM
AV -

Please check IRs New Albums thread for a reply/progress report hereafter. I don't want to hijack this thread.

Ramki, appreciate your patience.

From Mars
12th July 2006, 06:44 AM
Ramki,

paaku thOpula paatu kEtEnE is another good song from AN. Shankar was another hero.

meeNdum saavithiri by Raveendran? none of the songs are hummable.

premananth
12th July 2006, 08:05 AM
Nice songs Ramki Sir.

You are true about TMS voice for the song. May be Vaali suggested him for the song. (ellaam oru kaalathu aalungga thaane)

Yesterday i watched kaNmaNiye pEsu *ing Sivakumar, Laksmi and Ambika. Raveendran was the MD.

Beatifull song by SJ for Laksmi. The saraNams sounds like she sungs breathless.

Ana avar paattunnga ellame ore vaadaiyathaan irukku. This song reminds me "sri buvaneswary arulpuri" from Thaye Neeye thunai.

adutha paattukkana clue eppo Sir?

rajdes
12th July 2006, 10:58 AM
ramki, on devendran: I think he also scored for a movie starring Radhika, of which I remember only that it was advertised heavily in the erstwhile DD Metro, and was the first attempt of Seventh Channel Narayanan, who recently shot to fame as the one who took over VV from Kaja Moideen. At that time, he was slowly growing in stature as a producer of quality serials. I also think Ramesh Arvind and Sivaranjani figure somewhere in this movie. The reason I talk about it is that it had decent music, best of all a lovely tune for Bharathiyar's Aasai Mugam marandhu poche.

SN23
12th July 2006, 01:47 PM
rajdes: are you talking about Pudhiya Thendral movie? It is a kind of different movie. Sarathbabu acted as radhika's pair.

Ramki, TMS did quite ok naa? enna kurai kaNdeer? Except the youthfulness, it is fine. Was the song for Senthil?

Neel D
12th July 2006, 05:42 PM
Ramki,

TMS has sung thousands of wonderful songs. Why this one?

jmahesh
12th July 2006, 09:38 PM
remember seeing this song on the release day of the movie on DD oliyim oliyum.those days they used to show a slide of the movie with the name of madras theatres playing the movie & then play the song.It was shown on TV frequently after that.

jn
13th July 2006, 01:34 AM
Ramki: uLLam urugaadhaa kettu uLLam and Un urugi vittadhu. excellent song by VJ.

vaaray en thozhaa kEttu romba naaLaayiduchchi. irundhaalum I had a good laugh. :) thanks. esp the lyrics and the male chorus laughter :)

Ramki
13th July 2006, 04:11 AM
NeelD , i chose the song not for TMS voice but for the funny content. I was just looking for a different variety

FM, shankar? I thought he acted with pandian only in 'kadhal nadhiyile' ?

Ramki
13th July 2006, 04:14 AM
Clue for next song:
KJY solo from a dubbing movie. isai IR.

You have till tomorrow to find the song.

From Mars
13th July 2006, 09:36 AM
Ramki, I might be wrong. it was such a long time I have watched this movie, I don't remember anything other thaan kaadhal kaayangaLE song :)

Jn,
ithu thaan Ramkiyin kalyaaNa theme song pOla. paavam avaru :))

dubbing movinaa, RC ku kattayam therinjirukkum :)

RC
13th July 2006, 07:29 PM
FM: ippadi sonaa yaarum namba maataanga!...dubbing pada paadalgaL thilagamE neenga thaan-ndrathu TFM arinja uNmai aachE? :)

balaji
13th July 2006, 08:06 PM
Ramki

The only dubbed film I think of is 'My Dear Kuttichaathan'
The song as we all know is 'Poo Vaadai Katre'. But I doubt that is a rare song.

However there was 'My Dear Kuttichaathan 2' in Malaylam that had a KJY solo. Was this film dubbed in Tamil? If so that is song you may be referring to?

Anyways, very eager to know the song

Bala

Ramki
14th July 2006, 03:51 AM
Pick #347

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/solai_ppp.rm

Song: solai poonthendralil
Movie: poove pon poove
Singer : KJYesudoss
Lyrics: vaali ?

'eNNai kuLiyal' was a weekly ritual during my childhood. After a hearty breakfast of neeraagaram(water from
pazhaiyasaadham mixed with buttermilk and salt),i will sit patiently on a palagai as my mom applied the warm oil
on my then 'full head'. Her fingers would knead and soothe every hair follicle, applying the oil evenly throughout.
If its december, then there will be water boiling in a big metal pot(thavalai). I will pour the hot water into a bucket
and mix it with freshly drawn water from the well. Applying seeyakka podi was the least favorite part of this
ritual. I preferred the smooth, cool, chemical laded shampoo to the powdery healthy podi. That explains why
the full head is just now half :). eNNai snaanam was followed by tasty lunch and peaceful nap(and the headache after).
Only thing that was missing was a nice song to go with this ritual

Whenever i listen to the Malayalam version of todays pick, i'm reminded of this long forgotten ritual. (The tamil version doesnt refer to the eNNai kuLiyal)
A father relishing the joys of giving oil bath to his son. He sings about saraswathi and guru kadaaksham and how brilliant the kid is going to grow up.

This lovely song is from tamil dubbing of Fazil directed Mammootty, shobana,suresh gopi *er 'Pappayude Swantham Appoos'. The film had some lovely tunes by IR.
'poove pon poove'(SJ), 'pani peyyum naaLil'(Minmini), snehathin sondhathil(KJY) are good numbers from PPP.
But like the pudhir song, the original version of these songs are better.
They lyric writer's contribution is only 50% as the remaining are just tamil lines of the original. BTW can someone tell me the meaning for the last line in the fist charanam?

balaji
14th July 2006, 04:44 AM
Nice song Ramki

I always thought this was a Mallu song. Never knew a tamil version existed.

Nice writing on the oil bath

Bala

jmahesh
16th July 2006, 04:46 PM
nice thalattu sort of melody Ramki.
My father ( no more now)used to like this song(Tamil version) for its lines especially "noyindri en pillai naalum vazha,noorandu kaalam mannil vazha"'aringnan endru unai puhazhndu potravae guru kadatchamae perum kumaraane. nallorhal vaazthuukal unnaicherum naalaiku un perai desam koorum'
He used to say that this is one of the very few songs that a father sings for his son.
There is also a SJ version to this song in malayalam.Is it there in Tamil as well?
http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/M0000536.html

yvsmani
16th July 2006, 11:31 PM
a nice soothing thalattu type of song. KJY voiceil old age konjam therivathu pol irukku. (or is it by a old person in the movie?? )

Nitya
17th July 2006, 01:06 AM
In regards to the Devendran song in 'Aangalai Nambathe,' it's like a cent per cent lift from the song in 'Paasamalar' with the same title. I wonder how MSV and TKR took it.

I'd like to point out that the song "Kalyaanam Ennai Mudikka" in 'Metti' has flashes of "Vaaraayo Thozha Vaaraayo" as well. So in all, MSV-TKR had their song lifted at least twice, so catchy is this song. :lol:

Ramki
17th July 2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks bala

Mahesh i have not listened to female version of the song.

Mani the song is for Mammotty.

Ramki
17th July 2006, 04:13 AM
Pick #348

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/kannan_aj.rm

Song: kaNNan mugam
Movie: aayiram janmangaL
Singers : Jayachandran, Vani Jairam

I watched parts and pieces of AJ just last year. It was fairly interesting(and mostly predictable) But what me struck me was the similarity between Rajinis character in this film and his role in chandramukhi.
In AJ he played a foreign returned doctor who helps his sister(Latha) to get rid of padmapriyas ghost occupying her body. Vijayakumar played Lathas husband. Todays song is picturised on VK and PP.

I believe the film was a kannada remake. Two SJ solos 'venmegame' and 'azhaikkindre' are the highlights of AJ.
There is also a LRE solo picturised on Latha.

Was this the film that started the sparks between Rajini and latha that led to Rajinis brief hospitilization?

premananth
17th July 2006, 09:46 AM
Lovely song.

I like the saraNams. Hard to sing it breathless. VJ sung two saraNams fluently. But JC konjam tadumaari viduvaar, 2nd saraNathil at "anggam neerAda kaNgaL thaalaatta ponggum sugamallavo" spacially at thaalaatta - ponggum.

athuthaan, VJ-kku rendu saraNam, JC-kku oru saraNam MSV koduththullaro?

KaNNathAsanaarin varigal aRputham.

The "veNmegame" song by Janaki from the same film also very nice.

Enakku pei paattunna konjam athigamAve pidikkum. he...he...hee
AJ-vum My dear Liza-vum chinna vayasil enakku kaaichal vara vaitha pei padanggaL.

RR
17th July 2006, 09:58 AM
Mahesh,

Yes, there's a SJ version in tamil also. Oli plays it sometimes.

Ramki,

'Venmegame' available?

Murali Srinivas
17th July 2006, 10:10 AM
Ramki,

Ayiram Jenmangal was a remake from Malayalam. The name was Yaksha Ganam and it was directed by actress Sheela. Rajini and Latha before this had done Shankar Salim Simon. (SSS released in Feb 1978 and AJ in March 78). Infact in one of the songs when Jaiganesh gets married to his pair, there is a line that would be sung by Rajini which would go something like this. (I don't remember the song)

Avanum Aasaipattu Avalum Aasaipatta;
Arasangam Kooda Adhai Thadukathu.

Needless to say the man occupying St.George Fort at that point of time was you-know-who. The repurcussions were too well known.

Mahesh,

Poove Ponpoove ( Olathumbathirunthu Ooyaladum Chella Painkili) has a female version sung by Shobana in the movie.

Regards

SN23
17th July 2006, 12:09 PM
Ayiram jenmangaL, as mentioned by Murali, is a re-make of Yaksha GAnam. Ramki's favourite Usha Nandhini was introduced by Sheela in that movie (Padmapriya acted in Tamil). I saw the movie sometime back. Sheela performed much better than Latha, especially in the scenes after the ghost enters into her. Madhu was in for husband role in Malayalam, who hardly did anything (stood like wooden block), so for me to say Vijayakumar did justice to his role. But VK's ok-performance was completely over-shadowed by Rajini's too-much style with his sun-glasses and accelerating high his bike.

Same MSV scored music for M-version too??? SJ sang both the ghost songs in YG.

Ramki, LRE did not sing in AJ, but PS has sung a solo (NAn aadadha aattamillE pAdAdha pAttum illE) for Latha. A different folk type of song, which was just good.

For a long time, I thought Venmegame and AzhaikkindrEn are two parts of the same song, sounding almost similar in pace and mood and singer and lyrics direction etc.

Naaz
17th July 2006, 07:35 PM
Ramki -

I love this duet for the "spirit" VJ injects into the charanams. Especially lines such as "Sorkam Endhan Pakkam Vandhum, Vetkam Kondaal Engae Selvaen..." - The metre of Sorkam/Pakkam/Vetkam is great to listen to. Don't ask why, but I am always reminded of Paadu Thendrale Pudhu Manam...when I listen to this duet. Any idea which came first? Nellikkani or Aayiram Jenmangal?

Thanks for another fine MSV pick!

yvsmani
17th July 2006, 10:59 PM
another great duet by PJ - VJ. no other words to describe the song and the singers

jmahesh
18th July 2006, 02:47 AM
RR, Murali thanks for clarification.
Ramki , very nice pick.After a long time i recently I got hold of this song,and since that day I hear it least once a day.I have become addicted to it.

Ramki
18th July 2006, 03:54 AM
RR nope :(

MuraLi srinivas, thanks for the info. I have listented to kannada version of venmegame. Could there be a kannada version of Aj too?

SN23 usha nandhini in pei role. Perfect casting :)

The LRE solo for Latha in Aj is 'arupathu kalaigaL'. The song comes when Latha tries to seduce Vk

Naaz my bet is on AJ. Nellikani was early 80s i think.

Ramki
18th July 2006, 04:11 AM
Pick #349

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/pen_sne.rm

Song: peNalla nee oru bommai
Movie: sondhamadi nee enakku
Singers : PSuseela, Jayachandran

Clash of classes was the theme behind SNE. A rich modern girl(Sripriya) and a middle class average joe (Jaishankar) fall in love and get married. Like all tamil films, the rich girl is rude, egoistic , dresses only in minis and doesnt forget to wear sunglasses even inside the house :). Meanwhile the average joe is polite, respectful and trusting.
Each is controlled by their mothers. The pair break up until the girl realises how a pathini peN should be have and come running to her husbands feet. Nothing you have not seen before.

I remember todays song for its picturisation. I was a kid and was thoroughly bored . So the bommalattam with jai and sripriya as the puppets was amusing to me. The moms, sukumari? and SNLakshmi? draw the strings while sri and jai awkardly shake their arms and legs :).

The melodious voices of PS and JC are the other positive points of the song.

'indha raadha krishna kaadhal enbadhu'(SPB,VJ) is another good song i remember from this film.

madhu
18th July 2006, 04:38 AM
Ramki..

I too remember...nalla bommalattam..:lol:
BTW, we can feel the contrast between this song and the other one "indha radhakrishnan" in all aspects.. the soft, slow and ( though the voice of the singers goes up occasionally... anEgama medhuva paduraanga ) .. But the other song is fast and peppy.. VK nallAve senjirukkAru..

Murali Srinivas
18th July 2006, 10:50 AM
Ramki,

You are right. Nellikani was released in 1981, a solid 3 years after AJ. Kannada version of AJ, no idea.

Regards

Naaz
18th July 2006, 07:57 PM
Ramki -

The "bommallaattam" tip made this song come alive in memory - I remember it distinctly! This was a B&W film, yes? A nice duet by PS-PJC, with hints of Kanngalaal Naan Varaindhen...All along I thought Pennalla Nee Oru was by MSV! V Kumar has some magical compositions to his credit, especially the later years. You've already featured Sapthaswaram Punnagaiyil...now I look forward to Mazhaikkaala Megam Magaraajan Vazhga, another VK gem.

Thanks for this 70s excursion!

--------
Appreciate the Nellikkani / AJ confirmation.

balaji
18th July 2006, 09:21 PM
Nalla padal Ramki.

Naaz, "Mazhaikala Megam" MSV ache. Isn't it from the same film where PS croons "Pallandu Pallandu Pallayirathandu, Thambathigal ...."

Blaa

Naaz
18th July 2006, 09:57 PM
balaji -

If my memory serves me right, Mazhaikkaala Megam Magaraajan Vaazhga is from Kasturi Vijayam. Mazhaikkaalam Varugindradhu is by MSV (Paattum Bharathamum). But I could be wrong.....

yvsmani
18th July 2006, 10:35 PM
thanks for this long forgotten song. pattil full storyum varuthae....

Nakeeran
19th July 2006, 12:51 AM
balaji -

If my memory serves me right, Mazhaikkaala Megam Magaraajan Vaazhga is from Kasturi Vijayam. Mazhaikkaalam Varugindradhu is by MSV (Paattum Bharathamum). But I could be wrong.....

I think Mazaikalam varuginradhu is from Mohd Bin Tuglaq

S.Balaji
19th July 2006, 12:58 AM
balaji -

I think Mazaikalam varuginradhu is from Mohd Bin Tuglaq

I think its from Unmaye un vilai enna - another Cho cinema !

Whenever I think of this song , I recollect another gem of VJ - Mannulagil indru devar irangi varugiraar ! I dont know why ! :D

Hi Naaz

How are you ? This is S.Balaji :D

tfmlover
19th July 2006, 01:36 AM
hi Mazaikalam varuginradhu from paatum bharathamum
jj dance prgram

Ramki
19th July 2006, 02:22 AM
mazhaikaala megam maharajan vaazhga - Kasthuri vijayam-VKumar

mazhaikalam varugindradhu en manakolam theriginradhu-pattum bharathamum-MSV

Ramki
19th July 2006, 06:36 AM
Pick #350

http://tfmpage.com/stream/pow06/poove_mam.rm

Song: poove malligai poove
Movie: malargaLile avaL malligai
Singers : SJanaki, Jayachandran
MD: Gangai Amaran

For years i was under the assumption that IR was the MD for this obscure film, but an article by vamanan made clear that GA was the MD . This ilangai vaanoli popular song has very IRish interludes,esp the violin piece.

If im not wrong, the Late Master sekar was the hero of this film. I remember seeing the posters on the walls of panagal park. Another wonderful song from MAM is 'sindhnadhiyoram'(PS,JC).

Poor GA he always ended up giving good songs for dubba films . His talents deserved better exposure and appreciation.
What was his last film as a MD? 'athai magaL rathiname'?

kb
19th July 2006, 06:41 AM
I dont know how many heard this..

SPB version of kanne kalaimaane kanni mayilena kandaen unnai naane

http://myspb.blogspot.com/

From Mars
19th July 2006, 09:42 AM
I though poonjOlai MD was both IR and GA.

SN23
19th July 2006, 11:18 AM
Ramki: Was this MAM released? I think it is not and Film was incomplete.

Sangeetha (MGR's arimugam in Anna en deivam) is the heroine.

PS sang a beautiful solo Isaiyile rAgam pala nooru in MAM. Fabulous really :-) This was the first song that GA recorded.

Today's song was written by Kannadasan. I think it was the only song under GA + Kannadasan combination.

RR
19th July 2006, 12:22 PM
This song sounds VKumar-ish to me ("ennodu ennennavo ragasiyam"). :roll:

Naaz
19th July 2006, 08:39 PM
Score! :D Two out of Two! There's hope for my memory! Thanks for the confirmation, Ramki.

Hi S. Balaji, good to see you around here again.

Compared to the vibrant "Oru Vaanavil Pole" by the same duo, this duet is all monochrome. All lack, no lustre :(

balaji
19th July 2006, 10:27 PM
Naaz

I stand corrected!

All,

See Sara's writing about this movie
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/605.html

Ramki, nice song!

Of the Kannadasan's Kalangalil Aval Vasandham song (Pava Mannippu).
1. Kalangalile Aval Vasandham
2. Malargalile Aval malligai
3. Madhangalil Aval Margazi - I know this movie was announced with Sumithra (not sure if released)

However not sure if Kalaigalile aval Oviyam was ever announced?

Bala

yvsmani
19th July 2006, 11:11 PM
ramki : idhu enna PJ vaarama?? PJ strain paadiyathu pol thoandrum intha pattai ketkum poluthu, I dont know why.

balaji
19th July 2006, 11:54 PM
Ramki

Aduthadhu PJ-Jensi and PJ-SPSa? (70s)

Allathu PJ-Chithra or PJ-Sunandhava? (80s)

Swarna-PJ pottochunu Ninaikkiren

PJ-Vasantha combo irupathaga theriyavillai

Can't wait

Bala

Thanks

Bala

Ramki
20th July 2006, 08:08 PM
Bala,

Next song is not a duet but it has female voices and none of these voices are in the list
you posted.

Can you guess the song?

yvsmani
20th July 2006, 10:18 PM
ramki :
with BSS ??
adiyanai paaramma pidivatham Enamma from vanakathukuriya kaathali ???