PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the week: 1 Mar to 5 Aug 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

sathyakabali
20th March 2006, 05:28 PM
Bala
I featured this song in Aug 2005

http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24&start=60

Someone did a nice cut and paste job at tamilsongs lyrics page. Good job! Anyway thanks for searching the net for the details of Paruvakalam.

Ramki
Congrats for your century!

balaji
20th March 2006, 05:49 PM
Sorry Sathya Akka!

I searched the web and this is the first hit I got...

Thanks for the correction..

Bala

balaji
20th March 2006, 07:17 PM
Ramki/RR/Admin

Please remove my posting where I had provided the Tamil Lyrics Link for Paruva Kaalam. Sorry the link should have been that of sk.

Thanks
bala

Ramki
21st March 2006, 04:28 AM
Thank you everyone for additional details and wishes

Ramki
21st March 2006, 05:55 AM
Pick #280

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kanne_k.rm

Song: kaNNe kaNmaniye
Film: karumbu
Singer: sabita chowdhury
lyrics: ?
Music: salil chowdhury

Decades ago, when i first listened to the scintillating 'nisagamapani'(
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.265/
) from 'anand mahal', i was not aware who the female singer was, but i liked her unique soulful voice. Much later i discovered the song was sung by salilda's wife sabita.

Here are couple of links on sabita and her songs

http://www.salilda.com/nonfilmsongs/sabita.asp
http://www.calonline.com/cal/alaap/sabita.html

Thanks to NeelD for sending her tamil(only?) song. He writes:

So much has been said about Salil Choudhury. And so much not. Choudhury
is one who did not compose for as many films as the leading composers
of his time did. But he made his round in several languages and left
his mark everywhere he went. The uniqueness of his music sets him apart
even after three decades past his heyday.

This may be Sabita Choudhury's only song in Tamil. For someone from the
North (or should I say East) she has very little accent and very few
mispronunciations which she probably could have cleaned up if only she
had sung a few more songs in Tamil.

Karumbu album was released in 1974. The film was never released

balaji
21st March 2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the nice melodious song Ramki. In spite of having a singer wife, it is so nice to see Salilda has used wide variety of singers in his career.

Bala

Neel D
21st March 2006, 11:21 PM
Velli Rathangal is a beautiful song. I like Madhuri's singing. Her pronunciation is very good and her voice has a good range. She is a million times better than the later imports. Wish she had stayed a little longer in TFM. Thanks for the song Ramki.

It was a nice write-up Sathyakabali. Thank you for that. Rojaramani is so pretty.

It is kind of sad to read the interview with Sabita Chowdhury. One person's success is another person's sacrifice. At least she did it half-willingly and so that may be half-digestible. But what happened later with the music industry politics is just plain wrong. Still this happens all over India because of artistes with their selfish motives. Thanks for presenting the song Ramki.

SN23
22nd March 2006, 10:13 AM
Dear Mrs.Sathya, Paruvakaalam write-up is very well written by you. The details on Malayalam films and songs by GD is very informative. I would say you are one of the treasures in TFMPage.

As Need said I am able to apreciate the sacrifice of Mrs.Sabita. But somehow I am not comfortable with her pronounciation and clarity in singing. This is just my view.

Murali Srinivas
22nd March 2006, 04:50 PM
Hi to all,
I am new to this forum, though I have been going thro’ this thread for a while now. On going thro’ I had mixed feeling. A happy trip down the memory lane and also a sad tinge that I missed this for so long. Thanks Ramki for bringing those vintage memories back. I find all the regular hubbers as knowledgeable persons and their input has contributed to the success of this thread. I would like to share some trivia about the films/songs discussed and put up some corrections (hope you don’t mind)
Going from the latest, when the song “Inangalile enna inam Penninam”, was mentioned it has been said that it is PS/KJY duet. But it was sung by Swarna, wife of V.Kumar who scored music for “Nalla Penmani”(lyrics: Pulamai Pithan). I think Swarna sang only for VK. The other two popular songs by Swarna were Ennodu ennonavoe in Thooondil Meen (already hosted here) and her duet with TMS, Ezhuthatha Paadal ondru from Then sindhudhe Vaanam (1976) *ing Sivakumar, Jayachitra, Kamal & Ranichandra, (more famous for the KJY song Unnidam Mayagukiran). It is one among the few that TMS had sung for Kamal [others being Mangala Vadhiyam (MSV prodn.) & Devar’s Thayillamal Naanilai].
Then for Raghupathy Raghava (n) Raja ram, SG was the music director and not VK. The song was a regular in Radios when released in 1977. As mentioned Jayachandran was an upcoming artist at that time and he paired with Sumithra. Jayachandran could also be seen in subsequent releases of 1977, like one among the five friends in Adu Puli Attam and Naam Pirantha Man (Vanchinathan). The advent of Kamal and Rajini put paid to his rise though he was seen in negative roles afterwards (Paavathin Sambalam-1978)

Murali Srinivas
22nd March 2006, 04:53 PM
Talking about Jolly Abraham, I think there is one more popular song from him, a duet with VJ from the film Neethiku Mun Neeya Naana (a 1979 release *ing Vijayakumar & Latha, music by MSV, I think most of the people would not have even heard about the movie). I just remember few words like erumbu, seeni, malai etc (not sure whether it is in Pallavi or saranam). The meaning was somewhat like this; an ant will even climb a mountain provided it is made of sugar. I hope somebody can throw light on this.
Regarding Veetukku oru Pillai (1971), the TMS song Naan Potta Pulli, was popular and a similar looking song followed it within months (i.e.) Kalyanaponnu Kadaipakkam Pona from Raja (1972-also by MSV). The interesting tit bit about VOP is it was a remake of Saawan Baadan (Rekha’s first movie). Directed by TR Ramanna, a rare colour movie for Jai at that time this went on to become a hit in spite of having to compete with two giants (i.e.) MGR’s Neerum Neruppum & Sivaji’s Babu (all 71 Deepavali releases).

Murali Srinivas
22nd March 2006, 04:55 PM
There was this discussion about Gemini Studio. Ellorum Nallavare was the last film made under this banner though Janani used the Gemini banner. The business magnet name was Palaniappan Ramasamy, who was running Gemini cinema, a film weekly in the eighties. Regarding Sirithu Vaazha Vendum (a Udhyam Prodn/Manian), it was directed by SS Balan, but it was in 1974, whereas EN was released in 75 April. Now the director Charan has named his prodn company as Gemini Film Circuit

While discussing Sivagangai Seemai, Ramki had mentioned about V.K.Bomman and somebody had mentioned that he had read that it was not a hit when released first. That is not correct. VKB was a smash hit in its first release itself and it was one of the two Silver Jubilee films of Sivaji in 1959, the other being Bhaga Pirivinai. The hubber probably meant Kappolotiya Thamizhan, which didn’t do well when first released in 1961,but went on to do well in subsequent releases.

Murali Srinivas
22nd March 2006, 04:56 PM
While discussing Oru Kai Osai, Mahesh had said that he saw the film from Madurai-Deepa. But it was released in SriDevi (1980- July) and Deepa came into existence only in 1983. Probably the confusion must have arisen because both the theatres are located in the same street

Murali Srinivas
22nd March 2006, 04:57 PM
The interludes between S.Balaji & Usha Sankar were interesting and poignant. But during that discussion (or afterwards?) Usha is seen mentioning about seeing Praptham, Uravukku Kai Koduppom during school summer hols. As myself also happened to be a school student at that time, it was memory revisited. But I think there is a slight disconnect here in the sense that Praptham was released in 1971 April and Uravukku Kai Koduppom was in 1976.Probably she might have seen Praptham in the 2nd, 3rd run? Talking about Praptham, it made it’s way from Hindi (Milan?) and Savithri produced directed it in Telugu (with ANR) and Tamil. The reincarnation story (probably Nenjam Marappathilai was still fresh in mind at that time) along with river & boatman surrounded village (common in Andhra & Kerala but somewhat alien to TN) plus over dosage of sogam were the pitfalls. But the songs (KVM) were simply superb (while listing one forget Netru Paritha Roja song, I think) and they were much popular even before the film’s release thanks to VB. I remember Kumudam’s review, Ella padalkalum “thenkinnathil” thoiythu edukkapattavai. This Black & White movie starring for the last time Nadigar Thilagam & Nadigayar Thilagam together unfortunately had to compete with another Sivaji starrer releasing on the same day (April 14th, 1971), the colourful entertainer Sumathi En Sundari, and went down.

Regarding Uravukku Kai Koduppom, there is this interesting info. It was a stage play by Visu. It was made into a film by KSG and it sank without a trace. 10 years later when AVM asked Visu to make a movie, Visu discussed UKK with Saravanan. AVM got the rights back from KSG and Visu made some alterations here and there like changing the climax and adding Manorama’s character. The movie was made with a shoestring budget and it’s BO success is history now in addition to President’s gold medal it got (first Tamil movie?).

Murali Srinivas
22nd March 2006, 05:02 PM
While hosting Sridhar’s AOM song, Ramki had given a link to a discussion about Sridhar and it made interesting reading. In that Anand Sankar as music director for Sridhar’s film was discussed. He worked for Yaaro Ezhuthiya Kavithai. This was a movie based on Vaasanthi’s kuru novel (Kalki?). A bus on a hill terrain meets with an accident and the passengers are hospitalized. Out of them one woman due to the accident is affected by amnesia and nobody comes enquiring about her. She (Jayashree) stays back in the hospital/home of the Dr. (Sivakumar). Slowly he develops a liking for her and she starts to reciprocate. They decide to get married. Suddenly there is a twist. Somebody comes in search of her and it turns out that this woman is already married and the person is her husband (Rajesh?). True to Tamizh Panpadu, Sivakumar just hands over the woman to her husband and walks back. The same movie was made in Malayalam (“Innalae” meaning yesterday) by the famous Script writer/Director Padmarajan and I was fortunate to se that. It had Shobana, Jayaram (Lover, but here her mother was the Dr. played by SriVidya) and Sureshgopi did the Husband’s role. When Sureshgopi comes in search of Shobana, Jayaram becomes angry and tells SG to get lost. SG shows all the photographs but still J refuses to believe. SG pleads and J agrees to take him to Shobana on the condition that if Shobana recoginises SG on her own, she will go with him. If not she will stay with J. SG agrees because he believes she will immediately rush to him since they were a sort of made for each other couple before she embarked alone on that bus trip. J tells her that his old time friend is coming to meet him and his “would be”. When SG arrives, Shobana comes out and with a matter of fact face welcomes him and talks to him as if she had met him for the first time. SG is crestfallen and J couldn’t hide his joy. When Shobana goes in to prepare coffee, J simply rushes in and takes her in his hands and starts kissing. Shobana is unable to understand the sudden behaviour of J and feels embarrassed because somebody is sitting in the hall. But J is uncontrollable. Imagine the plight of SG, who can make out what is happening inside. When finally J& S come out, SG is not there and is seen getting into the car and driving away. The film ends there and this knife-edge story/scenes were beautifully handled by the Director and all the lead players were excellent. Compared to this, Tamil was a damp squib and the only saving grace was two good nos by Anand Sankar, one lovely song by KJY (I don’t remember the song, though it reminded me of a old song). At the end instead of usual Vanakkam, the title card will say “Ithu Sridhar Ezhuthiya Kavithai” the only novelty if you can call this as one. Sridhar had another release “ Naanum oru Thozhilali” on the same day (May 1st, 1986) a rare incident when two films of the same director is getting released and that too on a non festival day but unfortunately both bombed at the BO

Ramki
22nd March 2006, 05:56 PM
Murali Srinivas, thanks for your posts. Hope to see more from you in the future.

Ramki
22nd March 2006, 06:15 PM
Pick #281

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/alli_map.rm

Song: alli pookaLae
Film: maNNuketha ponnu
Singer: SPShailaja
lyrics: vaali
Music: Gangai Amaran

Maniam krishnaveni requested this song through email.
MP was released at the time when SPS was singing mostly rauncy, dappankuthu songs. This melody was a refreshing change and she makes good use of it.
'MP' is one of the several insipid Pandian-iLavarasi films that graced the screen in mid 80s. MP also had NaLini and nizhaLgal Ravi in guest roles.
'poongaathe en ponnukitte'(PS,MV) is another popular song from MP

vel1970
22nd March 2006, 10:10 PM
Varudhu varudhu vilagu vilagu song-ai host panna mudiyumaa, Ramki? :)

Sabita's song is not enjoyable, may be due to poor tamizh ucharippu. we cannot expect that quality in pronounciation in her only and early attempt but rasikka mudiyalai :-(

SPS song is really good, she did a good job.

vel1970
22nd March 2006, 10:21 PM
Sathyakabali, A1 write-up On veLLi radhangal song and the film. I don't know whether the film was a hit, your write-up was very interesting to read. You narrated with apt expertise. Great. Please continue to share your wealth of information.

Rgds
Vel

jn
23rd March 2006, 03:34 AM
Talking about Jolly Abraham, I think there is one more popular song from him, a duet with VJ from the film Neethiku Mun Neeya Naana (a 1979 release *ing Vijayakumar & Latha, music by MSV, I think most of the people would not have even heard about the movie). I just remember few words like erumbu, seeni, malai etc (not sure whether it is in Pallavi or saranam). The meaning was somewhat like this; an ant will even climb a mountain provided it is made of sugar. I hope somebody can throw light on this.

The song is aasaiyuLLa maappiLlaikku thoodhu sella yaarumille
by JA and P.Susheela.

The lyrics mentioned here with erumbu, sugar and malai are:

vellak katti mElE vachchi eRumbaik konjcam kIzhE vachchaa
chinna chinna eRumbu kUda imaya malai ERaadhaa?

jmahesh
23rd March 2006, 05:01 AM
Hi murali
I am really amazed at your nyabaga sakthi.
What I mentioned about oru kai osai was that I saw it in a 'dappa' theatre (not deepa theatre)
Mahesh

Murali Srinivas
23rd March 2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks Ramki for your welcome card.

Thanks SN for the JA song

Thanks Mahesh. Probably I got confused between Deepa & Dappa it seems.

Ramki,

I would also join with Ramesh for Anbu Megamae song.Thinking of Vijayabaskar, I also request one more song from his music, Mohana Punnagai Oorvalamae from Uravu solla Oruvan, a lovely KJY solo.

Regards

Murali Srinivas
23rd March 2006, 04:01 PM
While thanking for JA song I mistakenly said SN. Sorry JN and

Thanks JN for the song.

Regards

Ramki
24th March 2006, 03:59 AM
Pick #282

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kandene_kt.rm

Song: kaNdene kaNdene
Film: kanni theevu
Singers: Malaysia Vasudevan, SPShailaja
lyrics: ?
Music: iLaiyaraja

After their successful(!!) pairing in 'ore vaanam ore boomi', Jaishankar and Seema were paired again in this 'one day innings' film. I vaguely remember seeing Sridevi in the posters.

Once a promising hero, Jaishankar kindof became the male shakeela in late 70s and early 80s. With the association of director karnan, Jai mainly acted in B or C grade movies. Thankfully he resurfaced again playing decent roles in the latter part of his career.Seema's careergraph was directly opposite to Jai's. She started with sleazy roles but ended up acting with superstars like rajini,kamal, mamootty etc. I heard she is currently acting in tv serials.

Back to the pick, are there any other good songs in this obscure IR film?

tvsankar
24th March 2006, 08:51 AM
Dear Ramki,
:lol: :oops: :D

Sila comments discourage panni, film parkum asaiyai keduthu vidum.Anal ungal comments konjam different ana onru. Unga comments ---- Film ai parka vaikum!!!

About Jai comments - really very very nice!! Puriyadhavanga film parthu therinjukalam!!!! :lol: So niraiya perai indha Jai padathai parka vaika poreenga!!! :lol:

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
24th March 2006, 01:30 PM
Ramki :rotfl:

Why B or C grade movies? Those are d-graded ones, starting with Ganga, Enga Paattan soththu, Jakkamma, Jambu etc. PadathOda peyara kEttaalE sirippu thaan varum. Jai looked like Karadi maama in Jambu :lol:

One more funny thing was the villain in Jai-Karnan's movies was mostly Major Sundarrajan!!

Seema's best performance in my view was in "Enga oor kaNNagi".

But this POW is paravaayillai... oru dharam kEtkalaam :-)

jmahesh
24th March 2006, 02:24 PM
Indha maaperum padathai (!! )paarthu irukiraen.I think i saw it in thangam theatre Madurai( advertised as Asia's biggest theatre)i dont know if its still there.
I virtually dont remember anything at all.the vague thing i remember is that Jai goes to investigate ( as usual) something in an island where there are tribals.I remember only one scene where Seema steps on a plant and it encircles her like an octupus and Jai saves her from the plant(!)

Murali Srinivas
24th March 2006, 03:18 PM
Today TMS celebrates his 84th Birthday and there is a function today at Narada Gana Sabha, Chennai to felicitate him and P.Susheela. Sirappu Sorpozhivu by Vairamuthu and there is also Pattimandram on TMS- PS duets by Leoni.

Lets wish the Thespian a musical century.

Regards

PS: Mahesh, Thangam is non functional for the past 12 years embroiled as it is in legal tangles

thumburu
24th March 2006, 04:25 PM
Seema's another decent , noteworthy performance is in "pagalil oru iravu" where she features in the immortal song "thamtha dheemtha aadum uLLam paadum kaaviyam". "Kandene" is a catchy tune

balaji
24th March 2006, 05:03 PM
Nice Song Ramki.

Rich IR's interludes make this worth listening. SPS is not bad...

Bala

balaji
24th March 2006, 07:27 PM
http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3015

Sara advises these songs in Kanni THeevu

Bala, kannitheevu (1981/ Sri Aivar Art Films/ Jaishankar,Radhika)) was also directed by T.R.Ramanna. It has music by Ilaiyaraja. Songs are ' ithu oru pudhu vidha (Kandathai sollathae)'-SJ & chorus, 'hey, onna renda' (MV/SPS), 'Kandene kandene kaatil engum' (MV/SPS ) and 'ponnana neram raja' (SJ)

Bala

sathyakabali
24th March 2006, 09:44 PM
Neel,SN and Vel
Thanks for your appreciation about Paruvakalam.
The songs were big hits. The original Malayalam Chemabarathy was a hit.
I have seen the name of P.N.Menon's name appearing as Art director in many Tamil movies. When I saw the movie Devathai directed by P.N.Menon, I went on to find the details about him. Had he directed Paruvakalam in Tamil as the original Chembarathy, the film would have been a sensitive one. Directed by Jos Fernando, it is an average movie which had an average run in theaters.

natha1729
25th March 2006, 05:25 AM
balaji, is the song "ITHU ORU PUDHU VIDHA" song in KanniTheevu a fast paced S.Janaki song that starts of quite like the Rishimoolam SJ song "Mazhai Varuvadhu Mayillukku Theriyum"? This song has a fanstastic Guitar and flute first interlude and in the second one has Malaysia Vasudevan humming. If this is it, do you have it?

Thanks

balaji
25th March 2006, 06:24 AM
Sorry natha, I do not have. Ramki have you heard this song?

Bala

natha1729
25th March 2006, 07:35 AM
Balaji, thanks for the reply. This was played freqeuntly in Radio Srilanka early 80s.

Ramki
27th March 2006, 02:36 AM
Thanks everyone

Ushashankar, inimel jai padam paarpadhu romba kashtam. TVle kooda avar 70s,80s padam ellaam vakkra madhiri theriyalai

Another film with decent performance by seema is 'kalyaana agadhigaL'.

jMahesh ungaLukku porumai jasthi. eppadi indha padam ellaam kasu koduthu ticket vaangi partheenga :)

Bala/Natha, i do not have that song with me

Ramki
27th March 2006, 03:15 AM
Pick #283

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/uravo_apa.rm

Song: uravo pudhumai
Film: aadu puli aatam
Singer: SPB
lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music: Vijaybhaskar

Due to increased requests for VB songs, i plan to host couple of his rare songs this week.

'uravo pudhumai' kicks off the series. 'vaanukku thandhai avano' ,the other good song from APA was already featured in POW.

I think todays pick is picturised on kamal and sangeetha on a bicycle. Sangeetha was a good looking actress but unfortunately she always did the second heroine role. I think her first film is 'deepam'(as sivajis sister). I could be wrong though. I also remember playing the female lead in couple of flop films.
She is now a popular 'amma' actress

balaji
27th March 2006, 05:52 AM
Great Song. The kannada song (is it Besage Besage??) was a great song too.

On Sangeetha, the one acted in Deepam was called Sivaji Sangeetha. There was anothe Sangeetha who acted as MGR's sister (was it Meena Nanban?). I believe this Sangeetha acted with Rajini in AAV in the 'Kanmaniye Kadhal.' song.

I am eagerly waiting for the songs of VB other than the famous MMV, MOM, USO and KAV.

Thanks Ramki
Bala

SN23
27th March 2006, 10:41 AM
Ramki, Song name is repeated as film name; Correct pannunga :-)

Vijayabaskar was a breeze like V.Kumar who had given many good songs. Though he was not very popular like IR, MSV etc, he was one among talented MDs in TFM. I like this song very much. Very soft as if ilavam panju :-)

Sangeetha clarification (romba periya vishayam !!):

'MGR'Sangeetha was introduced in Anna en deivam (MGR's film with Latha), which was incomplete. I think this was renamed as Avasara Police 100, directed by Bagyaraj in 90's. Sangeetha who acted as MGR's sister in original movie, continued acting in AP100 as Bagyaraj's mother. A hopeless movie, though few scenes were shown with MGR and Latha. This MGR-Sangeetha only acted in Deepam, APAatam etc.

Whereas 'Sivaji'Sangeetha was introduced in Ilaya Thalaimurai. She acted as oru-thalai-Kadhali of Sivaji and there was a dashing scene of Sivaji lying over Sangeetha :lol: I think this Sangeetha did not act in any more movies.

Later one more Sangeetha (really talented) came in thru MahaNadhi (Shobana's adult paruva girl / Kamal's daughter) and acted in many good films incl. Poove Unakkaaga.

4th Sangeetha (originally as Rasika) acted in Pithamagan.

Innum Eththanai SangeethavO... theriyavillai :lol:

jn
28th March 2006, 12:28 AM
I remember sangeetha and kamal riding in bike in this song as ramki has said.
indhap padaththaip patri nianivukku vandhadhu:
madhan is kamal's name in this movie.
kamal adikkadi indhap padaththile"idhu thaan madhan style" nu solvaar, inspite of rajini being in the cast. :D
sangeetha veetil kamal kudi iruppaar. rendu perum kaadhalipaanga. kamal velai thedrappo vaLaiyal koduththu sangeetha help pannuvaanga. kamal ku adikkadi slow motion le sangeetha valaiyal eduththuttu railway station varadhu pola scene kaN munnaale vandhutte irukkum. kamal velai le sera mudiyaame poyi rajini and innum rendu per? oda sErndhu thavaRaana paadhai le poyiruvaar.
sangeetha kamal ku wait paNNi avar varaadhadhinaale nun aayiduvaanga.

SPB kalakkuraar indha song le.
Other songs in this movie:
SPB's vaanukku thandhai evano - for kamal
VJ's poongkuyil paadudhu kaadhal raagam paadudhu - for Sripriya
VJ's maname solaiyaam, ninaivugaL malargaLaam - for Aparna.

Lakshmi JM
28th March 2006, 12:42 AM
JN..

Its AAdu puli aattaam featuring Rajini, Kamal, Sangeetha and others...

Rajini was the villain and Kamal , the hero....

nice movie..

the super hit song in this movie was...Vaanukku thandhai evano....

Infact, every Id or during Ramzan festival, Doordharshan Chennai invariably will put this song

jn
28th March 2006, 03:28 AM
Lakshmi: I was just recollecting my memory about the storyline of APA.
Thanks anyway :)

Ramki
28th March 2006, 04:45 AM
Bala,
Thats a tough list(to keep away). Will try:)

As SN23 mentioned , APA deepam and 6 to 60 Sangeethas are same. She acted couple of dubba movies with vijayaraj as heroine.

JN thanks for the recollection.

Ramki
28th March 2006, 04:56 AM
Pick #284

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/mani_utt.rm

Song: mani viLakke
Film: unnaithan thambi
Singers: SPB, BVasantha
lyrics: Vaali?

I'm not sure if this song was banned in AIR(If yes i can understand why), but i had never listened to this song until i moved out of India. Singapore oli plays this song on very rare occassions.

If you can ignore the lyrics, its a pretty good song. The interludes are very hindi song like but SPB's singing is as alwyas excellent.

'unakku naan sondham'(SPB,VJ) is another good song from UTT.
Any clue on the lead actors in UTT?

thenraja
28th March 2006, 06:52 AM
Any clue on the lead actors in UTT?
Ramki,
Jaishankar & Jaichithra

balaji
28th March 2006, 07:48 AM
You did it Ramki. You have given us a rare song, though often played those days. I believe it was played in radio frequently, though not sure if it was banned in AIR.

Sorry SN23 on the Snageetha Diversion.

Ramki try your best to avoid his superhits/hits
Bala

umaramesh
28th March 2006, 12:43 PM
Ramki
Thanks for the really rare one. Those days radio ceylon use to play this quiet often. As ususal vivida bharathi banned it.

ramesh

Murali Srinivas
28th March 2006, 02:35 PM
Ramki,

Thanks for the song a hot number in those days. This movie was directed by T.N.Balu and it was released in 73-74. Though I don't remember the story, it was usual Jai movie. It became famous for it's situational dialogues ( Kanakku ketta veliyele poga solranga. ellorum Badhil sollra kalam varum etc) which had mirrored the happenings in TN at that time [ MGR expelled from DMK and started ADMK a year back before this]

Regards

yvsmani
28th March 2006, 05:33 PM
spb's old collectionil intha paadal kandippagha cassetteil irukkum. vasanthavin kural inimai thaan

SN23
28th March 2006, 06:14 PM
Ramki... very enjoyable song; lyrics too :wink:

SPB is as usual... Bv is also as usual. Does she not have similarity in voice and singing as Madhuri's?

Jaishankar, Jayachitr, Thengai, Manorama. etc acted. Navagraham kind of family, where Jai enters as Unknown and thiruthify the family besides join hands with Jayachitra. Super original story by Chitramahal Krishnamoorthy :-)

Ramki
29th March 2006, 07:51 AM
Wow, so many fans for this song.

Thenraja et al , thank you for all the details

Ramki
29th March 2006, 08:02 AM
Pick #285

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kan_uvk.rm

Song: kaNNazhagil neeyum oru kaamatchi
Film: unga veetu kalyanam
Singers: TMS, SJanaki
lyrics: kaNNadasan?

Compared to other female singers, VB has given more numbers to Vanijairam. PS, SJ, LRE have sung for him but not as many as VJ.

'iyarkai naatiya saalai' is a popular TMS-SJ duet under VB's music direction. Todays pick is relatively less known number from an obscure film.

Who are the actors in UVK?(Jai again?:)

What other song(s) SJ sang for him?

balaji
29th March 2006, 09:03 AM
This is really a rare song. I think UVK also had
1. Iyer Veetu Poonu Sonna (Kovai S and LRA)
2. Pesamal Vaa en pakkam Nerungu

Bala

VasumathiRenga
29th March 2006, 05:22 PM
Hi, are you hosting song series of Vijayabaskar & Chitramahal Krishnamoorthy & Gopu & Jaisankar movies? Lovely combination Ramki.

Enakku therindu, Jai & Jaichitra acted in many films under this combination. Besides this pair, Thengai Seenivasan and Shubha also paired.

I hope you all know that Gopu was husband of famous novel writer Mrs.Kamala Sadagopan (Kadhavu fame).

More later with you all.

madhu
30th March 2006, 06:59 PM
Hi

Leading pair of UVK is Thengai Srinivasan and Subha. Also *ng Cho, manorama, Jothilakshmi, Thangavelu etc.

Neel D
1st April 2006, 07:20 AM
Ramki, thanks for the rare song Kannazhagil. I can't even remember how long ago it was I heard this song last time. TMS&SJ duets have a unique quality. May be because there are not that many of them, compared to TMS&PS and may be even compared to TMS&LRE.

Why did the VB series abruplty end? Ramki?

balaji
1st April 2006, 06:48 PM
Neeld

My take is the entrance of IR. Devaraj Mohan/SPM and PA who were having Vb as the MD shifted to IR. 1974/5 I think must be the best years for VB in Tamil. 1976 changed his fate and his chances dwindled in Tamil.

Though I am happy that IR got the chance, I miss VB so much and my favorites songs of his are from Malai Sooda Vaa. "yaarukku.." and "Pattuppochigal.." are one of his bests.

Vani outshone everyone in his songs,

Bala

Bala

Ramki
3rd April 2006, 06:18 AM
Thank you all for the details. I was extremely busy for the past few days. I will continue the VB series later

Ramki
3rd April 2006, 06:26 AM
Pick #286

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/sindhu_sss.rm

Song: sindhu nadhi poove
Film: Shankar Salim Simon
Singers: MSV, SJanaki
Music: MSV

As far as i know there are only 2 MSV-SJ duets and both are good in their own style. While 'sollathaan' is a sweet melody, todays pick is a rocking bhangra. If you can bear MSV's hindi, then you will enjoy the song more. SJ , as always, sounds very sweet.
SSS had Rajini,Vijaykumar, Jaiganesh, Latha, Manjula, Vasanthi(?) etc. I remember reading that Vasanthi married an actor (thirumurugan?), her hero in one of her films.

Were there any other good song in SSS?

Neel D
3rd April 2006, 06:14 PM
Nice song Sindhu Nadhi Poove. There isn't a genre of music that MSV has not explored. Another nice song from SSS is "idhu unthan veettu kiLithaan" by VJ.

Does anyone know what film "kOdi kAlam gnAnum thEdi" by SJ is from?

jn
4th April 2006, 02:47 AM
ramki: The other songs in SSS are:
vandhaaLE oru magaraasi by SPB and PS
gOpuraththile oru sittukuruvi (??) by kovai soundher rajan.
Today's pick and VJ's song are good ones in that movie. :)

Ramki
4th April 2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks NeelD and JN

'idhu undhan veetu kiLi' is a good song

Ramki
4th April 2006, 06:26 AM
Pick #287

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/oorengum_v.rm

Song: oorengum kalyaana oorgolangaL
Film: vetri
Singers: VaniJairam, SNSurendar
lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music: Shankar Ganesh

One of my favorite annanthangai songs and a fav SNS song. Good lyrics and nice singing, esp by VJ.
The song was picturised on 2 annan thangais, Vijaykanth-??, YGMahendran-Mohana.
SNS voice is for VK and VJ's voice is for Mohana.
Vetri is a SAC's film and like many of his films it was filled with rape scenes, violence, courtrooms etc.

YGM's performance was outstanding. He played a softie and VM portrays his characterisation beautifully in the song.

The sister sings:
'pattu selai kattu
unnai vittu sellum neram
un kannin oram eeram
yaarini aadharam

un uLLam peN uLLam
pirivendraal thaangadhu'

Viji was VK's jodi. Her duet with VK is another good song from Vetri.
Cannot recall the first lines though

SN23
4th April 2006, 12:05 PM
Ramki: many many rare songs are coming up. Great to hear the never-heard songs. VJ is very sweet in this song. SNS too sung well.

Shankar-Saleem-Simon film was dominated by Rajinikanth. It was pity to see that Vijayakumar tried his best to cope up on par with Rajini. But puli-poonai kadhai than.

SJ's sannamaana kural did not go well with karadu muradu MSV's. That too his hindi pronounciation is extremely bad. They sing for Manjula/Latha and VK/RK, kindaling JaiGanesh and MS.Vasanthi Poor selection). Did she act in Panchakalyani as heroine?

Ramki
6th April 2006, 02:48 AM
SN23 i thought radhidevi was panchakalyanis heroine?

Ramki
6th April 2006, 03:05 AM
Pick #288

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/paal_tk.rm

Song: paal pazhangaL
Film: then koodu
Singers: SJanaki, SPB
Music: Ghantasala vijayakumar

'then koodu' was the only tamil film that had music by vijaykumar, son of veteran singer/MD Ghantasala. The film had some good songs.
Apart from todays pick, it had
'samaiyal enbadhoru thathuvam'(SPB),
'Muthu muthu pacharasi maakolamaam'(SJ).

The film did not do well and the songs were soon forgotten.
The film had a collage of stars including KRVijaya, Major, Suresh, Viji, shankarabaranam rajalakshmi, Robert(Rajsekar), Ponni, nizhaLgal Ravi, Nagesh etc. As the name implies the film talked about the joys of joint family.

Meerakrishna
6th April 2006, 04:30 AM
Ramki,
thanks for this beautiful song. quality is not that good, but still the tune is very catchy. expecting more SJ and SPB rare gems from U.

Thanks again
Meera.

SN23
6th April 2006, 11:38 AM
Ramki, you mean "Paapaathi" film heroine Radhidevi? Nope :-)

Your list of stars of ThEkoodu missed the second in the family Radharavi who paired with Sumithra. It was a good film with mild emotions but songs are not that good. SJ sounds bit tired in this song??

Ramki
7th April 2006, 06:23 AM
Thanks Meerakrishna. I will definitely try.

SN23 yes :)

Ramki
7th April 2006, 07:00 AM
Pick #289

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/oru_pt.rm

Song: oru naaL iravil
Film: paNathottam
Singer: PSuseela
Music: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

Rare song? No.
Soulful?Yes
Melodious?Yes
Haunting, addictive, mesmerising?
Yes yes yes and several Yesses.

Some PS songs are difficult to get rid of your system, today's pick is one of the tops in that(my) list.

I had some guests over the weekend and we were discussing(arguing?) about singers in general. The only argument we all agreed to is songs by other singers can be easily(or with some practice) reproduced by other singers but not PS songs(read old songs). Her voice can be mimiced by no one. No one can give the magic touch that she renders to her songs. I have watched some of the music programs on television(rajageetham, ragamalika, swapthaswarangaL etc) and witnessed many PS songs unreproducable by some good singers. They struggle to bring the sweetness she did .

Ok enough of PS puranam :). Was this song for Sarojadevi?

Kannadasan has used some rare words in the song. Raj translates them for us here:

http://tfmpage.com/forum/6535.4098.12.13.57.html

umaramesh
7th April 2006, 10:29 AM
Ramki

Dream song for saroja devi in PANNA THOTTAM.

"VARUVAN KANNAN" just close yur eyes and listen this particular line , ENNA ARUMAIYANA TUNE , Splendid rendition from PS.
I cannot explain the flow of music right from prelude. Thanks for uploading this song

ramesh

SN23
7th April 2006, 01:51 PM
Ramesh, what I wanted to convey has been done by you. Simply I love the little stretch in varuvaaaaan kaNNNan... very cool. PS is PS.

MSV should come out with an exclusive book on instances (like stretch in varuvaaaaan kaNNNan) for the younger generation MDs to set simple but lovely music. IMHO, this tune is easily catchable by leaners but will stick to the heart forever :-)

Ramki: SDevi, who generally overacts in song sequences, was very much watchable in this song. ThEnkiNNam of Jaya TV showed this song. Sooner I became an addict of the song. Somehow I see a similar shade of charanam from malrum vaan nilavum here too.

Another SDevi/PS combination with slow but mayakkum tune is mella... mella mella endhan mEni nadungudhu mella (Is it from PaNamaa PAsamA? by KVM). Irukka unga song-basela?

umaramesh
7th April 2006, 03:42 PM
Hi SN
Thanks. We have lot of instance like this where MSV has done improvisation &variety in so many songs. I think it is very difficult for him to finish with one book. He may require volumes. :)

regards
ramesh

balaji
7th April 2006, 06:21 PM
Sweet song Ramki!

Even though I love SJ's voice and singing (unless she goes overbaord sometimes), PS songs can not be reproduced for sure (Though I believe SJ songs cannot be reproduceable either)..

PS sweet voice and MSV (w TR and w/o TR) combo is the best combo ever which is unbeatble IMHO. Who can forget "Kadhal Siraginil' and "Thangathile oru' -- Minimum music but what a singing?

Thanks oncegain Ramki. Though we would love you to unearth the rare songs, please do not hesitate to host gems like these once a while.

Thanks
Bala

Murali Srinivas
7th April 2006, 07:08 PM
Ramki,

Double Thanks

First one for hosting this song, a song that will take you to sleep.Vairamuthuvin varthaikalil solvanthenral "Iravu Paadalgal ena naan silavatrai eduthu vaipathundu.Athil Suseelavin paadalgalu muthalidam".

Second thanks for putting up in so many words the greatness of PS. I am happy that so many share my views.

Expecting more

Regards

PS: SN, the song you mentioned is from Panama?Paasama? music by KVM. But was it not a duet? (TMS)

Ramki
10th April 2006, 06:30 AM
Thanks everyone

Ramki
10th April 2006, 06:50 AM
Pick #290

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/sangeethame_kp.rm

Song: sangeethame
Film: kovil pura
Singer: Sjanaki
lyrics: pulamaipithan

If not for the three gem of songs, I'm not sure i will even remember film like kovil puraa. Those days , IR's music did not have any barriers or boundaries. It just seized any situation and poured us with gems like todays pick and vedham nee and 'amuthe thamizhe' etc etc.
kovil puraa had a bizarre story line and with the exception of saritha and shankar, had unknown actors. I think the hero role was played by Thyagaraja Bhagavathars son(or his grandson not sure). He played a nadhaswara vidhwan role. He and saritha are lovers but due to unfortunate circumstances saritha marries shankar. Even after marriage she cannot forget her lover's thoughts and dreams. The hero stops playing the nadhaswaram.
Shankar understands his wifes desire and arranges her meeting with the vidhwan. Todays song comes at this situation.(Sarithas expressions were a treat to watch)
Vidhwan dies at the end of the song and saritha and shankar live happily ever after.
The film opens with KJY's gambeera solo 'vedham nee'
The second song 'amudhe thmaizhe' comes in the middle. ITs a flash back scene picturised on baby indira and ??.

If only IR can give us gems like these today....Im not greedy. I will be satisfied with just one such song/year.mmm *sigh*

balaji
10th April 2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks for a fine song!
Ramki you missed the contributions by MPN Sethuraman and Ponnuswamy who I believe played the Nadaswaram pieces

Thanks once again..

Bala

Nitya
10th April 2006, 10:05 AM
I did hear that song once or twice. I'm simply blown away by the orchestration. I also really love the other two songs from the film. But it is quite disappointing that "Koyil Pura," with its storyline and scope for music had only 3 songs! By the by, the raaga of this song is Rasikapriya, the last of the 72 Melakarta raagas.

SN23
10th April 2006, 02:37 PM
Ramki, NPN Sethuraman and Ponnuswami were given enough space in Thillana mohanabaaL. Let it be the great songs Maraindhirundhu or Nalanthanaa, OR the solo performance of the hero, their Nadaswaram spoke. What a demonstration of their viddhai :-) But in Koil Pura, you see only IR in the songs, though NPN S&P have played their part. This is my view.

The main hero (vidwan) role was played Rav Bahadur (I think PU Chinappa's vamsa vazhi heir). He himself directed the movie as well.

My best pick is Uma RamaNan's (with PS) AmudhE thamizhE (Chakravaham based great song). SJ in today's song (as well as "Isai arasi") tried to go overboard in showing the emotions, ultimately land in out-of-control. Ending of Sangeedhame is really a de-railment. NOM :-)

SN23
10th April 2006, 02:38 PM
Murali, mella mella endhan mEni nadungudhu is a solo (not duet).

Murali Srinivas
10th April 2006, 06:04 PM
SN,

No yaar.It is a duet.Even while I think about the song, I clearly remember TMS.

The Saranam goes like this

TMS: Athipazathirku Melazaku Endhan
Asai pazathirku ullazaku
PS: Thathi thavikindra Pennazaku Unnai
Thazuva thudikindrathu Pen manathu.

An indoor duet on Gemini & S.Devi

Regards

jn
10th April 2006, 08:44 PM
ramki: enna aacharyam! "popular" PS song laam host paNNiyirukkiye? :) eppayum rare songs thaane select paNNuve.
andhap paatu patriyum PS patriyum solla enakku yaarum edhuvum baakki vaikkalai. thanks for the lovely song.
sangeethame paatu kEttu romba varusham aagiduchi. andha song thaniyaaga kEttaal typical IR oda touchlaam irundhu pidichchip poyirum. But the other 2 songs in the film outshine this one.

jmahesh
11th April 2006, 01:34 AM
thanks for the song Ramki.one of the rare songs that i like very much.Only towards the end of the song it looks like Ilayaraja was testing S.J's lung function .
konjam naalaiku munaadi i had requested for amudhae thamizhae.mudindhall host pannungal.
Ungalidam' vaalibam vaazhga'& ? 'dasarathanin or ?janakanin thirumaganai'irukiratha? i am not sure of the name ofthe movie.I remember mahalakshmi (pushpalatha's daughter acted)was in the movie

From Mars
11th April 2006, 02:30 AM
It sounds like 'raaga theepam yEtrum' from 'payangaL mudivathillai'. Is this just me feeling that way?

madhu
11th April 2006, 04:53 AM
thanks for the song Ramki.one of the rare songs that i like very much.Only towards the end of the song it looks like Ilayaraja was testing S.J's lung function .
konjam naalaiku munaadi i had requested for amudhae thamizhae.mudindhall host pannungal.
Ungalidam' vaalibam vaazhga'& ? 'dasarathanin or ?janakanin thirumaganai'irukiratha? i am not sure of the name ofthe movie.I remember mahalakshmi (pushpalatha's daughter acted)was in the movie

Hi

I think the film is "devi sridevi" and its only "dasarathanin thirumaganai dhinam dhinam thozhudhidu nee manamE" :P

Ramki
11th April 2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone

SN23 'mella mella' is definitely a duet

jn, 'oru naaL iravil' is not that common(relatively speaking).

jMahesh i have 'amudhe thamizhe' and will host it soon.
I have 'vaalibam vaazhga' but somehow im unable to locate the CD. I have been searching for the CD for a while. Will host it as soon as i find it.

FM its just you :))

Ramki
11th April 2006, 06:18 AM
Pick #291

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/devathaigal_tk.rm

Song: devathaigaL vattuvadhu
Film: thirukalyanam
Singers: PSuseela, Sjanaki

Some weeks back, when i hosted 'alaiye kadal alaiye' from thirukalyanam, Madhu suggested this song from the same film.

I have listened to this only once or twice before. Its a rare PS-SJ duet. I like the way IR fuses the 'alaiye kadalalaiye' tune into the devathaigaL pallavi.

Btw why its devathaigaL 'vattuvadhu'? Vaazhthuvadhu sounds more apt(SJ sings vaazhthuvadhu and PS vattuvadhu)

rajeshkrv
11th April 2006, 07:54 AM
it's definitely vaazhthuvadhu and i have the song with me both pronounces vaazhthuvadhu ..

From Mars
11th April 2006, 08:29 PM
Ramki,

unga CDyai engaLukkum konjam anupi vainga :)

Meerakrishna
11th April 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi Ramki,

Thanks again for rare gems of SJ. Actually I was looking for 'sangeethame' song, really great song with nadaswaram especially the beginning aalaapana 'tanana tanana', superrrr.

'devathaigal vazhthuvadhu(SJ's pronce)'nice composition Of IR. SJ sounds sooo sweet . Thanks for both the songs.

regards
Meera

vel1970
11th April 2006, 10:25 PM
Ramki, romba nalla songs host panni irukkenga. Great going. Oru naal iravil is a great number. The listener gets a feel that he/she lying outside the house (in a typical village) and looks at the sky with twinkle stars and moon. I really enjoy such songs. One more is oor urangudhu pozhudhum urangudhu. What a song. Was it by KVM?

Ramki, neenga ENt kitta poganum :lol: Volume konjam high-la vaichu kElunga. PS sings correctly as Vazhthuvadhu and sounds great. Gambeeram is her special attire.

In both Sangeedhame and Devadhaigal song SJ sounds really irritating. Devadaigal song is spoiled in 2nd half.

Sorrypaa kovichukkadhE !

RC
12th April 2006, 04:35 AM
vel1970: neenga solradha paathaa naanum ENT kitta thaan pOganum pOla irukku :(
raj: idhula PS eppadi pronounce pannuraanga?

Ramki
12th April 2006, 06:13 AM
After reading your posts i really started doubting my ears. So I did this. I recorded the song to my voice machine and played it back in the 'slow talk' mode. PS almost sings vazhthuvadhu the first time, but the second and 3rd time it is vattuvadhu.

If there is one singer i respect for clarity, its PS. In this song she says vattuvadhu with her usual clarity :)

madhu
12th April 2006, 07:16 AM
After reading your posts i really started doubting my ears. So I did this. I recorded the song to my voice machine and played it back in the 'slow talk' mode. PS almost sings vazhthuvadhu the first time, but the second and 3rd time it is vattuvadhu.

If there is one singer i respect for clarity, its PS. In this song she says vattuvadhu with her usual clarity :)

Ramki..

enakkum oru ENT appointment thEvaipadudhu..
yEn enRal..
enakkum kooda "vAttuvadhu" enrudhAn kEkkudhu...
may be that is the correct word.. ( only if we know
the situation etc.. appOdhan sariyA solla mudiyum)
oru vELai.. adhu recording-la ERpatta mistake-a irukka koodadha ? :roll:

tvsankar
12th April 2006, 08:33 AM
Dear Ramki,
Enakum indha doubt eppodhum irukiradhu!!!!

PS mudhal 2 times 'vaatuvadhu' enru solvadhu pol
dhan irukiradhu.Anal next time ellam "vaazhthuvadhu"
enru solvadhu pol dhan irukiradhu.Story base panni
indha pronounciation irundhu irukalam enru ninaikiren.PS ku poi pronounciation prob? No chance!!!!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
12th April 2006, 09:44 AM
Haiya, ennavo solvaanga.. ooru rendu pattaa 'somebody' kku kondaattam-nu. orE galattaa thaan inga :lol:

PS-part' lyrics in Charanam sounds very positive and how vaattuvadhu could be the beginning for that mood? Without seeing the movie, not fair to comment on pronounciation by PS, that too composed/recorded by IR. PS thappu panni irundhaalum, IR vittirukka maattarE!! Not sure.

But I heard that it is triangular love story with Vijayakumar, his ex-lover Srividya and his wife SR Vijaya (??). SR Vijaya(PS) starts the song and continued by Srividya(SJ). BTW, this is the wedding song sequence.

Vaattuvadhu endru ninaithu kondu paattu kEttal, Vaattuvadhu thaan !
Vaazthuvadhu endru ninaithu kondu paattu kEttal, Vaazthuvadhu thaan !!

SJ romba unarchi vasapattu paadaraanga (konjam jaasthiyO?) :-)

baroque
12th April 2006, 10:16 AM
[tscii:640f406784]What an awesome and solemn orchestration by Shri.Ilayaraja! Can’t get enough of this dramatic song for the past two days!! Very grateful, Ramki![/tscii:640f406784]

RC
12th April 2006, 07:28 PM
I'm glad that I'm not the only one in need of an ENT! :)

From Mars
12th April 2006, 07:40 PM
JN, ithai kEtaa, enna nadakum :)

jmahesh
12th April 2006, 09:39 PM
please include me in the ENT appointment waiting list!

jn
13th April 2006, 12:49 AM
enna sandhegam? :)
mElOttaamaa kettuttu eppayO ezhudhina lyrics:

paadal: dhEvadhaigaL vaazhththuvadhu
thiraip padam: thiruk kalyaaNam
paadiyavargaL: PS and SJ
MD: Ilaiyaraja

susIlaa: dhEvadhaigaL vaazhththuvadhu
dhEvi enthan kalyaaNamE
dhEvadhaigaL vaazhththuvadhu
dhEvi enthan kalyaaNamE
kaaviyangaL paaduvadhum...
kaaviyangaL paaduvadhum
naan nadaththum samsaaramE

dhEvi enthan kalyaaNamE

maalaiyilE veN malligaip pU kuzhalinil sirikkinRadhu
aalayam pOl en paLLiyaRai iravinil jolikkinRadhu
iNaintha maaNikka radham
mayanga kaaNikkai nidham
idhan pEr dhEva sugam

dhEvi enthan kalyaaNamE

jaanaki: eththanai piRavigaL eduththaalum
iruvarum onRaay thuNai vaazhga
illaRa inbak kalai vaazhga
gangaik karaiyil kaadhalar pOl
kaNNanum raadhaiyum konjudhal pOl
kanavinil kaaviyam naan paarththEn
kaaNgiREn inRu kaaNgiREn
inthak kaadhalar vadivinilE
nURaaNdugaL nI vaazhgavE

dhEva dhEvi kalyaaNamE
paavai ivaL paaduvadhum pUrva jenma sangIthamE
dhEva dhEvi kalyaaNamE
----------------
Susila's part is a happy one. vaattuvadhu nu paadinaa, adhu jaanaki oda sad part ku thaan poruththamaa irukkum. Pls look at the lyrics of PS. "vaazhththuvadhu" suits for PS's part of the lyrics. After listening once again, enakkum doubt varudhu.
SN23 solradhu pOl naama eppadi ninaichi kEkkarOmO, appadi thaan kEkkum. :)
But I'll take it as "vaazhththuvadhu", which makes sense.

From Mars
13th April 2006, 02:19 AM
athu thaanE paarthEn, PS aavathu thappa paaduvathaavathu :)

Ramki
13th April 2006, 05:37 AM
TFmpagele niraiya kadhu keLaa patients irukkom polirukke :))

I never doubted PS pronunciation , i just wondered why her part of lyrics had 'vaatuvadhu' instead of vazhthuvadhu :)

Ramki
13th April 2006, 06:08 AM
Pick #291

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/vaazhkaiye_aiav.rm

Song: vaazhkaiye vesham
Film: aarilirundhu 60 varai
Singer: Jayachandran (and jency?)
lyrics: Panju Arunachalam?

One of the best solos by JC, probably the only song he sang for Rajinikanth.
IR starts the song with a solo guitar sound, probably representing the loneliness of the character and slowly brings in other instruments leading to soulful voice of JC.
The 'aariro aariro' part in the middle was acharacteristic of many sad male solos by IR. (uchi vangundheduthu, kaathirundh kaathirundhu etc). In case of female sad solos he himself did the humming part(unnai nambi nethiyile, idhayam pogudhe, ore idam nirandharam) etc .

Compared to other popular singers, JC has sung lesser songs and very few for popular stars like kamal(3-4 songs), Rajini(this solo),
sivaji(2 solos and 'nenjil uLLa kaayamondru' of the 2 ,from rishimoolam is another pickworthy solo)
couple of songs for MGR. Thats it i think. Remaining were for other actors.

He still can sing very well (I Love his kannathil muthamittal song) and wish he had more chances to expose his talents

From Mars
13th April 2006, 11:39 AM
I have 163 songs listed in my list :)

yvsmani
13th April 2006, 02:10 PM
a good song. but somehow personally i feel KJY would have done better than PJ in this song compared to so many solos of PJ

ramki :
baba - rajyiyamaa illai imayama (2 versions) irukkae rajinikku. ( of course it comes as BG score)

aanpillai endraalum chaan pillai thaan andro is also another good song from this movie.

Ramki
14th April 2006, 06:47 AM
Pick #292

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/alai_am.rm

Song: alai meedhu
Film: anbuLLa malare
Singers: SPB, VaniJairam

There are songs you will enjoy for a while and forget later, there are songs you will never like, songs you will listen to but will never go in search of. Only certain songs will live in you forever. For me, this is one of the few songs that i never never get bored of.
Im not sure if its the music or the lyrics or the voices, but whenever the song comes on air or in my CD, I stop what im doing and just concentrate on the song.

When i first started posting in tfmpage, many were unaware of this song. To my surprise, even some hardcore IR fans didnt know about this song. They either never came across this song or the song did not affect them like it did me.
Thanks to ilanagai vaanoli, i was introduced to this song(and other 2 gems from the same film.)

One of the highlights of the song are the lyrics. 'dharmam pesum indha oor uLLadhu
saavum munne erikkum

thaanai aeNi tharum
mele aera vidum
meendum aeNi parikkum'

VM's sarcastic description of the society was new and different.

SPB and VJ excel as usual.

'kaadhal thegangaL' , the other beautiful duet was hosted in POW few months back.

The quality is not great. If you have the song with better quality, send it to me and i will be glad to upload again

Thanks

SN23
14th April 2006, 09:37 AM
Ramki, JC sang 2 solos for Sivaji? I thought only one (Nenjil Ulla kAyam ondru, which is a masterpiece). Which is the other one? (Don't reply like Senthil "adhaan idhu" :lol:)

VazhkkaiyE vEsham has similarity of Nenjil Ulla kAyam ondru, still a good one. JC for Rajinikanth no other song ???

VJ is superb in AnbuLLa malarE song. I like her effortless singing going high as well as coming down the scale. Thanks for this song.
Is this song for Shanthi Krishna and Srinath (Rayil PayaNangaLil Hero)? May be a background song??

SN23
14th April 2006, 11:36 AM
Humming part of 'ore idam nirandharam': Is it not by MVD? definitely not by IR himself. In 'KaaLidAsan KaNNadAsan' and 'ThAlAttudhE vAnam', IR gave the humming voice.

thenraja
14th April 2006, 06:58 PM
In 'KaaLidAsan KaNNadAsan' and 'ThAlAttudhE vAnam', IR gave the humming voice.
SN23,
For 'KaaLidAsan KaNNadAsan', I have read that both Ilayaraaja and Gangai Amaran have done the humming.

Naaz
14th April 2006, 09:33 PM
Best Wishes for a Bright New Year to All TFMpage-rs!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ramki -

This is an evergreen duet. And as you rightly note, it is hard to pin down what it is about this song that captivates one so...If I could hazard a guess, I'd say it is "perfection" on every level - composition (an IR signature appears at 3:14,) lyrics, singing and mood. What fascinates even more is this: The verses are an indictment of societal double-standards, but the tune is liltingly infectious! Such a delicious paradox!
Thanks for reviving the IR magic again!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not that this is a complaint, but if VJ & ____ duets are all you've got in your collection, I'd happily settle for them (like the current one featured) but it would be equally worthy to hear solos by LRE, VJ, UR, Swarnalatha...I'm sure you'll keep this in mind for future surprises (or shocks? :) )

baroque
14th April 2006, 10:41 PM
Wish you all a Happy & Prosperous Tamil New year!!

Thanks a lot, Ramki for 'alai meedu....'!!
I agree with Naaz... Please host Vani solos... I come enjoy her musical perfection!! :D
love, vinatha.

yvsmani
15th April 2006, 04:34 PM
I hope this is alai meedhu thadumaaruthae siru odam. (since i could n't hear the song). yaar nadiththullargal etc patri details onnumae sollavillaiyae ramki....

ellorukkum iniya puththandu nalvazthukkal

ShankarV69
15th April 2006, 05:24 PM
Ramki

You can get a better quality of Alai Meedhu... in
http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=92218

BTW, do you have "Samudhra Rajakumari..." from "Engal Vaathiyaar" ?

Shankar

natha1729
17th April 2006, 09:17 AM
Ramki, do you know the original Telugu version, solo by SPB, which movie? It is really fantastic. Do you also know, the song in Anvenshna "Ilalo" http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/movie/A0000008.html has an differently orchestrated Tamil version in a Karthik movie, do you know name of this Tamil film?

Thanks.

I am also lookin for Title BGM of Nammoora Mandara Hoove.

natha1729
17th April 2006, 09:18 AM
(Ramki, I meant the "Alai Meethu" song was originally in a Telugu movie and sung by SPB, very beautiful version. but, i don't know the movie name. )

premananth
17th April 2006, 10:13 AM
[tscii:ef09692962]Dear Friends,

Warm Greetings and Iniya Tamil Puthaandu Vaalthukkal....!

I'm very happy to join and able to discussing in this forum.

Dear Ramki,

Could you clear this doubt?

Recently I have read an interview (article) with Sujatha in Thinathanthi – Sunday Edition. Sujatha said, she is the singer for the song “Oru Iniya Manathu” – Johnny. But most of my friends arguing that it was not by Sujatha and the singer as Jency. Which is true?

Thanking in advance.
[/tscii:ef09692962]

Ramki
17th April 2006, 04:48 PM
Naaz/baroque

Thanks for your suggestion. I will soon upload some solos.

yvsmani, sorry for not giving the details. Since i discused the story line and characters in 'kaadhal dhegangaL' selection from the same film, i thought the details will be redundant. The film had sarathbabu, shanthikrishna, srividya and it was directed by Mahendran

Shankar, thanks for the link. I will check it out.
I'm not sure if you are a mind reader :) but 'samudhra rajakumari' will be the next selection(i will do it in few hours).

Natha im not aware the telugu version. Let me see if i can find some details

Welcome to the forum Premananth.
'oru iniya manathu' is by sujatha.
Jency sang 'en vaanile ore vennilaa'

jn
18th April 2006, 12:44 AM
ramki: thanks for jc song. nalla thaththuvap paattu. jc kalakkalaa paadirukkaar.
alai meedhu song le SPB and VJ feel paNNi paadirukkaanga. nice song. ceylon radio le kEttadhu, apram ippaa thaan kEkkiren. :)

balaji
18th April 2006, 02:33 AM
Ramki

Like you, "alai Meedhu" always excites me. The way VJ sings the song to me makes all the difference.

Whenever I hear this song, I always wish we had more of IR-VJ combo songs created.

Well, whatever songs that were created with this combo remains very special to music lovers

IR once again does not fail Mahendran

Thanks Ramki onceagain

Bala

Ramki
18th April 2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks JN and Balaji

Ramki
18th April 2006, 05:43 AM
Pick #293

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/samudra_av.rm

Song: samudra rajakumari
Film: engaL vadhyar

It will be redundant to repeat the acting capabilities of Nagesh. He is one of the few actors who can fit any role and can come out with a splendid performance. As far as i know, he is the first comedian who made a frequent and a successful switch between playing a hero and comedian.
In 'engaL vadhiyar', he was the hero . He played an aezhai vadhiyar role, unable to get his only daughter married off to her beau. Taking the advice of his friend, he sets off on a journey to seek help from his ex students . Major portion of engaL vadhiyar was on this trip . The wealthy ones do not help but a cabaret dancer, a thief and few others help him in his mission.
The story was interesting and the film was decent. I think kavitha played the daughters role and todays pick is on her and vijaybabu(?).
Nageshs performance was jus delightful. He refrained from over acting and his looks too helped him look the role.
I might be wrong but i think the film was directed by vietnam veedu sundaram.

Todays pick is a stunner. I have been looking for the song for few years. I then asked the correct person(NeelD). He has been a good source of many rare songs. Thanks Neel.

premananth
18th April 2006, 08:18 AM
[tscii:ad2f30395a]Ramki,

Thanks for the song. Really nice. I love SPB & VJ duets. EV directed by Durai (Pasi, Neeya fame). It was first released on 1979 and second released (after one year) on 1980.

Could you host this song ?
“Maalaiyittu Poomuditha Manamagalaaga
Vithi Maunamaaga Poghuthamma Oorvalamaaga”
Sang by M.Vasudevan for the movie, Thalai Pirasavam.
[/tscii:ad2f30395a]

SN23
18th April 2006, 10:05 AM
Ramki, very lovable song. VJ dhool keLapparAnga. I love her voice :-) Thanks to you and Neel.

I really tempted to watch Engal Vathiyaar after reading your munnurai. Esp, to enjoy Nagesh's performance. He must have done brilliantly. How do you compare EV vis-a-vis School Master. Is the story of SM totally different from EV? I have seen a thoguppu of SM in TV some time back. Gemini and Sowcar played the Master and wife roles.

Ramki, you answered for all and not for me :-( I repeat the question :-) "Which is JC's other song for Sivaji than Nenjil Ulla kAyam ondru?".

rajdes
18th April 2006, 11:34 AM
Ilalo Kurise - Anweshana was a differently orchestrated version of "Edhuta Neeve" from Abhinandana, *ing Karthik and Shobana, later dubbed in Tamil as Kaadhal Devadhai or something.
Anweshana was also dubbed into Tamil, probably more remembered for "Keeravani".

ShankarV69
18th April 2006, 12:10 PM
Ramki

Thanks for "Samudra Rajakumari".

I never thought my request will be posted so quickly (May be being a mind reader did the trick).

I think i am listening to this song after almost 2 decades.

Shankar

premananth
18th April 2006, 03:55 PM
[tscii:9a57820915]Ramki,

Thanks for the song. Really nice. I love SPB & VJ duets. EV directed by Durai (Pasi, Neeya fame). It was first released on 1979 and second released (after one year) on 1980.

Could you host this song ?
“Maalaiyittu Poomuditha Manamagalaaga
Vithi Maunamaaga Poghuthamma Oorvalamaaga”
Sang by M.Vasudevan for the movie, Thalai Pirasavam.
[/tscii:9a57820915]

thumburu
18th April 2006, 06:04 PM
The way Vani starts "kumaaaaaraaaaaa" is a big let down. Lots of nasal twangs of Vani crop up here and there . SPB is the big saving grace for this song.

balaji
18th April 2006, 08:06 PM
Ramki

Never showed interest those days to Non-IR songs. This song and the song from Naan Naane Than(KVM -- what was that song?? an SPB-VJ duet) used to be played very often then which suerly did not please me.

However, I like the song now. VJ's rendition is a blast. Yes as Thumburu advised her voice sound nasal sometimes, but that is a minor irritation compared to the song as a whole.

Ramki, andha Naan Naane than song irukka? (I think Vanithashri was the Heroine of that movie)

Bala

vel1970
18th April 2006, 10:10 PM
Ramki: excellent use of foreign words in a lovely duet. Samudra, Sugaraja, Sugumara, Namo namo namaha ... really words play.

VJ's voice in first line of her goes strained. But later she races SPB. Breath control is very good with VJ. She maintains this till end, except the starting hitch.

Is that instrument thavil or just tabla with thavil effect. MSV repeated this magical music in many songs (another ex: muthu tharagai).

Naaz
19th April 2006, 12:24 AM
A serene twang undulates, the waves lap and layer...and mighty Aphrodite rises from the Ocean.
Samudra Rajakumari, the goddess of beauty and romance, holds us all in such hyper hypnosis!

The song is an ode to her spellbinding presence. MSV distills her classical appeal rightly with the choice of VJ for this song. Among the stellar moments in this duet:

"Ponniraththu Vanna Idhazh Paadattum" From Aphrodite's lips to her own ears, such scintillating self-congratulation has to be heard to be relished....

"Ilaya Veenai Pudhiya Raagam..." The languor of love on a new scale, newly born in the enunciation of "pudhiya raagam"...

"Pesattum..." A command to sweet-nothings, tremulously coy in its prompt...

Around 3:03 a soft jazz breeze kisses the ocean's bosom...

And with Namo Namo Namahaa...the voices blend in connsumate union...ArdhaNaarEshwara in rapture.

The delight washes over again and again and again.

A joyous thanks to Ramki and Neel D for this love soaked moment.

Neel D
19th April 2006, 01:16 AM
Ramki/SN23/Naaz,

You are most welcome.

Ramki
19th April 2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks everyone.

Premananth, I do not have that solo with me.

SN23
Sorry :(. The other JC song for Sivaji 'oru osaiyindri mounamaaga'. The song is played in the background.

The similarity between 'engaL vadhyar' and 'school vadhyar' ends with the name. Storyline is totally different.

Bala
'naan naanethaan' had vadivukarasi and Rajesh. The only song i remember is 'vaanavillin varnajalangaL'(SPB). I'm not sure of the vanisree song.

Ramki
19th April 2006, 05:25 AM
Pick #294

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/sriraman_dk.rm

Song: Sriraman Sridevi
Film: Dowry Kalyanam

Visu's inital films were not only interesting but socially relevant too. One of them was 'dowry kalyanam'. The film dealt with the dowry plague that was haunting(still very Prevalent in rural areas) our society. Some of the scenes were so realistic that it felt like watching the marriage video of our sisters/daughters wedding.
I saw the film long time back so do not remember many details. The film had Visu, Srividya, Pushpalatha, viji, vijaykanth etc. Todays song is for Viji VK pair.

Visu spoiled his career by playing and making too many pattukottai periyappa udumalai chithappa roles and movies. The last film of his that i liked was 'thirumadhi oru vegumathi', which is a remake of Rajinis 'sadhurangam'(sadhurangams story was by Visu)

premananth
19th April 2006, 09:16 AM
Really Nice Song Ramki. Thanks.

Vishnu Avathaaram peyargal konda varigalai eLzuthuvathaanaal, Kannathaasannukku Aarvam ponnggividum.

Thanks for the reply on Maalaiyittu Song. I have it in the "Record". Unfortunately, my gramophone spoiled out long time ago.

Could you host below songs whenever you free?

Aayiram Aandugal from Adukkumalli
Vithaara Thanggam from Pesu Maname Pesu (does this movie released ?)
Vaadiyamma Pon magale from Paalootti Valartha Kili

RR
19th April 2006, 09:57 AM
This is one of my favorite MSV (later day) songs. I think it's in vaasanthi.

Todays song is for Viji VK pair.
I remember there are two pairs in this song. It starts off as a Annan-Thangai (did VK play annan?) duet - I was intrigued by this when I heard it on radio first those days. Later stanza is a normal duet.

I too liked Visu's early day movies, but I think he fell into loop. His 'monai thodai' titles became ridiculous after a while.. Good that he didn't name 'arattai arangam oru kurattai surangam'.. :D

SN23
19th April 2006, 10:14 AM
Ramki, nAn nAnEthAn had Vanithasree also.

Another delight of MSV-SPB-VJ combination. One of the very good moives of 80's. Everyone did justice their part in that film.

The song comes as "imagination/dream" of different key characters. VK, a sincere aNNan-like well-wisher, thinks from aNNan-Thangai point of view. Guess Srividya (not very sure) imagines them as a pair and one more character also dreams differently. So, the lyrics as well as picturisation will be different based on the imagination/dream.

Lovely song. Thanks Ramki.

umaramesh
19th April 2006, 11:16 AM
Ramki
Thanks for SAMUDRA RAJA KUMAR/SRIRAMAN SRIDEVI.
One more request in the same period I remember one more SPB /MSV song , it starts like this: ENTHAN POO VANATHIL INRU VASANTHAM . This song is from mouli film. Please upload if it fits under rare song categoy.

Another SPB/VJ/MSV combination. very rare song. SOOPANTHI SINDU PADITHEAN from Balaji film.

ramesh

RR
19th April 2006, 01:25 PM
Ramesh,
Guess what.. "Enthan poovanathil indru vasantham" has already bean featured! You can go to the first post of this thread and look in the links there.

balaji
19th April 2006, 05:03 PM
Romba Thanks Ramki

The initial Mirudhangam always intrigued me. Great start for a nice song.

Thanks
Bala

From Mars
19th April 2006, 07:38 PM
I too liked visu early movies. 'Manal Kayiru' was my favourite among Visu movies. I too watched 'dowry kalyaaNam' but can't remember anything :)

doesn't this song sound like 'Thirumaalin thirumaarbil sRi dEvi' ?

balaji
19th April 2006, 07:49 PM
Ramki

The song I was referring to was 'Inimayanathu Andha Iyarkai' from manamadha Radhangal (?) not Naan Naane Than.

Thanks
Bala

Naaz
19th April 2006, 08:57 PM
All of yesterday I've been thinking, searching really, for a word to encapsulate MSV compositions. There are many adjectives I've considered and discarded, but with this elimination dance, one word has emerged, standing tall among others:
MAJESTIC.

Any composition - sad, fun, casual, amorous and even the purely contrived - they all have this "imperial" quality.

Sri Raman Sri Devi is a fine example, following the impeccable Samudra Rajakumari.

Ramki, thanks for bringing this to the "court" again!

Naaz
19th April 2006, 08:57 PM
All of yesterday I've been thinking, searching really, for a word to encapsulate MSV compositions. There are many adjectives I've considered and discarded, but with this elimination dance, one word has emerged, standing tall among others:
MAJESTIC.

Any composition - sad, fun, casual, amorous and even the purely contrived - they all have this "imperial" quality.

Sri Raman Sri Devi is a fine example, following the impeccable Samudra Rajakumari.

Ramki, thanks for bringing this to the "court" again!

S.Balaji
19th April 2006, 09:05 PM
Naaz

Indeed Mellisai Mannar is legendary personality . We can call him as MMS majestic mellisai Mannar !
This song Sriraman sridevi was composed at a stage when IR was ruling like an uncrowned king and very few gave movies to MSV and Visu was one of them
Later he also moved to Shankar ganesh I think
for Samsaaram adhu minsaaram

Ramesh
Endhan poovanathil indru vasantham is from Oru vaarisu uruvaagiradhu ( Mouli the director ) and its probably the last of the great melodies from Melisai Mannar

From Mars
20th April 2006, 01:36 AM
Naaz

Ramesh
Endhan poovanathil indru vasantham is from Oru vaarisu uruvaagiradhu ( Mouli the director ) and its probably the last of the great melodies from Melisai Mannar

mmm I can list some great melodies in 90's (IMO) :)
raasaathi ennai thEdi varuvaarE (raasaathi kalyaaNam), kanniyavaL naanukiraaL (sangu pushpangaL), kaN vizhi enpathu kattaLai itathu (vaLaiyaL satham). I can't list all of them :)

Ramki
20th April 2006, 05:05 AM
This song was commonly aired in SSMusic. From what i saw, VK and viji are definitely not brother-sister. The song is played during a wedding reception and viji/vk fly in karpanai vaanil. Third charanam will be the imagination of SNParvathi(no she will not dance :)).

Either my chances are becoming too predictable or my computer is being hacked.
How did Ramesh know that 'soppanathil' is my next selection?:)

Ramki
20th April 2006, 05:22 AM
Pick #295

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/soppa_t.rm

Song: soppanathil sindhu
Film: Theerpu
lyrics: Vaali?

When i think of SPB-VJ duets, this song is always in my list. It was a popular song at the time of its release. I was searching for this song for a while(my usual story) and finally got it from NeelD.

'Theerpu' had sivaji and sujatha(?). I think the song is for Sumalatha and Sarathbabu. I vaguely remember watching this song with the actors singing in a swimming pool. Not sure though.

The song has difficult sandhams especially in the pallavi. If vaali is indeed the lyricist, then he should be appreciated for the good lyrics.

premananth
20th April 2006, 11:36 AM
[tscii:cc9711418b]Another delight MSV-SPB-VJ combination.
Artputhamaana classical & semi-classical songsukku MSV, VJ kuralai athi artputhamaaga payan paduthi irukkaar.
Thanks to MSV to introduce VJ to Tamil Cinema.

Hmmm.....sad to say, Ilayaraajavaal pinnaalil Oranggatta patta adputha paadagargalil VJ-vum oruvar.

Sujatha is Sivaji’s pair in Theerpu. A tipical Balaji’s Movie.

Almost all of the Balaji’s Movie, Hero’s name is Raja and Heroin’s name is Radha. Valzve MAyam – Sri Devi’s name is Devi. Sri Priya’s name Radha. (finally kamal married SP)
How about Theerpu?

Anyone know about the song
“Nalla Kanavanukku Manaivi Yaanaval
Antha Kadavulukku Nandri Solluvaal” by Vaani Jayram.
Movie? Artistes ?
[/tscii:cc9711418b]

SN23
20th April 2006, 11:45 AM
ramki, oru periya doubt. Is it not Ilayaraja the MD for Theerppu? If not, I remember a Sivaji movie (sarth babu also acted) directed by Billa R Krishnamurthy (music by IR). In the climax, Sivaji clashes with villain (Nambiar ??), hitting him with foot as if playing football :lol:

Whether menaka also acted in Theerppu?

Prem: Nalla Kanavanukku is from ILayaraaNi rAjalakshmi (Srividya and Jaishankar, Music by MSV). I like the lines "ThaNNeerE illaamal neendha mudiyumaa, dhairiyamE illaamal vaazha mudiyumaa".

premananth
20th April 2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks a lot SN23.
Does this (Nalla Kanavanukku) be added in POW?

MSV is the MD for Theerppu.

S.Balaji
20th April 2006, 12:22 PM
This song was commonly aired in SSMusic. From what i saw, VK and viji are definitely not brother-sister. The song is played during a wedding reception and viji/vk fly in karpanai vaanil. Third charanam will be the imagination of SNParvathi(no she will not dance :)).

VK ( a widower ) will be a friend a Visu and neighbour. While VK and Viji will have brother sister relationship only , SNP will assume that they are in love and this will prompt her to seek alliance with Visu . This will make Visu furious and immediately the friendship breaks.
Finally, during the climax, VK comes to the rescue of Visu when he needs money as dowry ( its dowry kalyanam !! ) and everything gets reconciled

umaramesh
20th April 2006, 12:36 PM
Ramki

thanks a lot for this song. I got my choice by accidently.very happy. :D .VJ voice is so sweet when she sings"SINDHU PADITHEN". I got very surprise when I listen to it first time. Unpredictable and so sweet.

Naaz: I have gone through your posting about SAMUDHRA RAJA KUMARAI& MSV,simply fantastic. Thanks a lot.

ramesh

umaramesh
20th April 2006, 12:45 PM
Ramki

IF YOU DON'T mind please put ANBU MEGAMME INGU OODIVA(SPB/VJ) from ENGAMMA SABATHAM. Nice melody from Vijaya Bhaskar.

Thanks

ramesh

premananth
20th April 2006, 01:37 PM
Yes, really nice song Ramesh.

Muthuraman and Jeyachithra are the lead of Enggamma Sabatham, directed by SP Muthuraman.

Ramki,
could you give the synosis of ES when you host the song?

Is that Vijaya Baskar's own movie?
The banner's name is Vijaya Baskar Films, producer: S.Baskar.

S.Balaji
20th April 2006, 01:42 PM
Yes, really nice song Ramesh.

Muthuraman and Jeyachithra are the lead of Enggamma Sabatham, directed by SP Muthuraman.

Ramki,
could you give the synosis of ES when you host the song?

Is that Vijaya Baskar's own movie?
The banner's name is Vijaya Baskar Films, producer: S.Baskar.

Premananth

Indeed its a wonderful composition from VB...

One small correction... I think Jayshankar and Jayachitra featured in this song

premananth
20th April 2006, 02:32 PM
Dear Balaji,

Warm Greetings....!

There are two pairs in Enggamma Sabatham. Muthuraaman-Bathmapriya, Sivakumar-Jeyachithra.

Sivakumar and Jeyachithra featured in Anbu Megame. The scene shot at beach.

Four of them featured in "Vaa iLamai aLaikkirathu"- another nice song.

I have the VCD.

S.Balaji
20th April 2006, 02:41 PM
Prem ananth...

Anbumegamay... this song featured in Besant nagar beach area in Chennai ....and its a night effect song

Murali Srinivas
20th April 2006, 06:56 PM
SN,

The movie you are referring to is Neethipathi (1983) which came after Theerpu (1982). Neethipathi had Sivaji,KRV,Sujatha, Prabhu,Radhika,Vijayakumar & Menaka. It was also a Balajee movie directed by Billa Krishnamoorthy but it's MD was not IR,but Gangai Amaran. Menaka (Sivaji's daughter) comes as a deaf & dumb girl getting married to VKumar. The film is still remembered for the TMS song "Paasamalarae, Anbil vilaintha Vaasa Malarae, Manamudikkum Naal vanthatho" - I think that was the last occasion the raja brothers used TMS for their movies.

Regards

Naaz
20th April 2006, 09:44 PM
Ramki -

This week has been top-notch so far. Listening to some of my most cherished MSV duets after a long time, and how they still glow and charm! Truly age-defying (without L'Oreal) compositions!

When I listen to Soppanaththil Sindhu Padiththaen,
in that inexplicable associative pattern that sometimes takes you from one song to another, I am always led to Yaaradhu Manmathan from Maegaththukkum Dhaagamundu. And just to make mischief with that coupling, this one shows up, even though it is not by MSV:
Idhazhoramae Pudhu Kavithai (VJ/Deepan Chakravarthi, Neeruppooththa Neruppu, MD: Stalin?) ... Sindhu, Yaaradhu, Pudhu? See how that goes? :D

Aduththadhu?
:D

Ramesh -
Thanks!

premananth
20th April 2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for info Balaji!

Anyone could clear my doubt? I watched "Geetha Oru Shenbagapoo" in Raj Digital Plus just now. There was a nice duet "Ganggai Karaiyil ViLaintha Kavithai".
A male singer sang with VJ. Could not identify?
Who is he?

jn
21st April 2006, 02:24 AM
ramki: Great picks of SPB and VJ. :)
Where is the song I have been asking you about?
maalai malar pandhalitta megam? from akka.
I also love baarathi kannammaa (ninaiththaale inikkum) but ramki would say it is not a rare song. :)

Ramki
21st April 2006, 05:38 AM
Premananth, SBalaji
Thanks for the info on the movies

Prem, 'gangai nadhiyil' is by Jolly Abraham and Vani. The song was already featured in POW. Check the archives.

jn :) 'maalai malar' yes but 'bharathi kannamma' is a definite no no :).

JN and Ramesh, i will host your requests when i vist the SPB-VJ pair again

Ramki
21st April 2006, 06:02 AM
Pick #296

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/sorgathile_l.rm

Song: sorgathile mudivanathu
Film: Lalitha

I'm a great admirer of JayaBhadhuri. I have watched almost all her films(except the recent ones) and have been awed by her screen presence. Her smile , innocence and acting always won me over.

'kora kaagaz' was one such film. She played the role of a wife caught between her middleclass husband(vijayanand) and her rich intrusive mother(achala sachdev). Unable to stop the intrusion of mother in law, the professor husband vanishes from her life and Jaya lives a lonely life. It was an emotional film with all the sentiments sensitively handled. JB's performance was absolutely great. When she meets her hubby in climax scene, her only question to him will be 'what was my fault?'.

Though i have not watched the tamil version 'Lalitha', Im sure Sujatha(she played JB's role) would have shed buckets of tears with 'ennanga mannichidunga' etc.
In both KK and L the pairing was kind of weird. Vijay Anand looked very old for JB and Gemini Ganesan matched him in the age dept. I think idhayamalar, which had GG and sujatha in brother-sister role, was released the same year.

In KK, Devan varma played JB's brother and in L , Kamalhassan played the brothers role.

Todays song is picturised on Kamal-sujatha.

Talking about songs, both the versions had excellent songs

Kalyanji Anadjis 'mera jeevan kora kaagaz' fetched kishore kumar a national award.
The other songs in KK are 'ruthe ruthe piya' and 'mera padne me' (Both by Latha)

Lalitha had 2 other good songs
'kalyaname oru pennoduthaan'(VJ) and 'vasanthangaL varum munne'(PS).

Todays pick has excellent lyrics by Kannadasan(as always).
The siblings sing for the parents wedding anniversary. Since GG will refuse to attend the function sujatha will be allby herself and kannadasan beautifully writes for the situation

'deepathil ondru (mother)
karpooram ondru(father)
erigindradhinge ondraaga nindru
ellaamum kovil
ellaamum deivam
erigindra deepam
silar kaNda laabam

eriyaadha deepam
silar seidha paavam
naayagan naayagi
bhaavam kaaNbadhu
kovilil kaaNgindra kaatchi
naan edhai kaNden
verenne solven
thadukkindradhe manasatchi'

In these lines he writes about her lonely presence

'ther koNdu vandhen silai mattumillai
seerthandha veetil thunai mattumillai'.

The song is an absolute delight not only for the lyrical content but also for the music, tune and great voices.

Neel D
21st April 2006, 09:05 AM
This was one of the outstanding weeks of POTW. Thanks Ramki. VJ & SPB combination has given several wonderful songs... hundreds of them. It must be very hard to choose just five out of those. You did a great job picking these five. VJ & SPB combination sang a couple of short bits in the recent movie Vishvathulasi. And before that it was probably "oru mUNAm piRai pAru" from Aararo Aariro. The magic of this singing pair is still intact.

By the way, I did not tell Ramesh or anyone about "soppanathil" featuring at POTW... in case you were wondering.

premananth
21st April 2006, 09:39 AM
[tscii:43761b3922]I really admire this song because of VJ and Kannathaasanaar’s (I prefer call him like this) Varigal. SPB sounds very happy and VJ’s voice sounds sad. Excellent performance and expression by Sujatha. Ematramum Sogamum close-upil kaanbiththu vittu, family-idam santhoshathtai kaanbipathu.

Ramki, the climax was very touching. Sujatha didn’t said “ennai mannichidungga”. I have not watched the Hindi version. One more highlight of this movie is, they use Tamil manthiram during GG and Sujatha’s wedding. ( Sivakumar followed it for his daughter’s wedding)
It’s true the pair look weird. They also perform as couple in Sri Kanchi Kaamatchi.

What do you think about “Poothathu Kamalam Purinthathu KaaraNam PonVaNdukkaaga vendru” from NyAnak Kulzhanthai ?
[/tscii:43761b3922]

premananth
21st April 2006, 09:50 AM
Anyone could help me tell how to Standardize my mails (fonts) like others in this forum?

please........... it's look weird.....!

premananth
21st April 2006, 10:06 AM
Pick #296

'deepathil ondru (mother)
karpooram ondru(father)
erigindradhinge ondraaga nindru
ellaamum kovil
ellaamum deivam
erigindra deepam
silar kaNda laabam

eriyaadha deepam
silar seidha paavam
naayagan naayagi
bhaavam kaaNbadhu
kovilil kaaNgindra kaatchi
naan edhai kaNden
verenne solven
thadukkindradhe manasatchi'

Ramki I heard,

Ellaamum Koyil
Ellaamum theebam

Erigindra Theebam silar kaNda laabam
Eriyaatha Theebam silar seitha pAvam

RR
21st April 2006, 10:11 AM
Anyone could help me tell how to Standardize my mails (fonts) like others in this forum?

please........... it's look weird.....!
This problem sometimes happens if you copy & paste from Windows ediotrs.

Quick fix: Before you post, do a preview and if it comes 'weird'... see if your post starts with ''. If so, 'cut' and 'paste' it at the end of the post so that the last line reads
[tscii]

I'm posting this for others facing this problem.. If you have any further questions, pls pm me..

jmahesh
21st April 2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the songs Ramki.Very good SPB-VJ duets.
there are 2 more songs in theerpu.
'Amma or ambigai pol,appa or andavan pol 'by ?
'Aalukoru sedhi vachu aandavan azhachaan' by MSV
In theerpu Sivaji ,sujatha couple have 3 children,Sarath(lawyer),2nd son? (police) and Nithya.Nithya will be raped by villain after which she comitts suicide.Sivaji kills the villain.one son(police) will try to arrest him and the other son (sarath) tries to protect him.After finishing his pazhi vangum padalam sivaji surrenders at the end.

jmahesh
21st April 2006, 10:22 AM
sorry it shud have been aalukoru thedhi vachu andavan azhachaan

premananth
21st April 2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks RR.

SN23
21st April 2006, 10:30 AM
Mahesh, thanks for mentioning the songs and core story of Theerppu. Now I remember the movie.

'Amma or ambigai pol,appa or andavan pol' is sung by Jayachandran/MVD and Sasirekha (for Nithya). Vijayakumar was the Police song, correct??

Ramki, SPB+VJ songs series is really wonderful and the responses too. I won't wonder if you could continue this series with some more songs.

A request: do you have the PS solo "Thirumaal azhga thirumagaL thalaivA" from Mupperum deviyar. Wonder mettu tuned by MSV.

premananth
21st April 2006, 11:25 AM
Dear Friends,

here I give few song titles of SPB & VJ combinations. All are gems:

1. Anbu Meghame - Enggamma Sabatham
2. MaaNikka MaamaNi - Thennang KeetRu
3. Maalai Malar Panthal - Akka
4. Thevathai Oruthi - Kaamaatchiyin KaruNai
5. Maamathurai Naattinil - ?
6. Enna MagaraaNi - Unggal Viruppam
7. Muthal Muthal Varum - ?
8. Pattu Poochigal - ?
9. Sorghathile Mudivaanathu - Lalitha
10. Illam Sanggeetham - Avan Aval Athu
11. Atho Vaaraandi - Pollaathavan
12. Romba NaaLaaga - ?
13. Thottu Kattiya - 47 Natkal
14. Pullaangkulzhal Molzhi - Oorum Uravum
15. ENNi Irunthathu - Antha 7 Naatkal
16. Gowri Manohariyai - Malzhalai Pattaalam
17. Mathanortchavam - Chathuranggam (Fantastic song)
18. Naana Paaduvathu Naana - NoolVeli
19. Oru Brinthaavanam - Sattam Oru Vilayaattu

Pls ignore if any of the song has been hosted.

ShankarV69
21st April 2006, 12:37 PM
Maamathurai Naattinil - Olimayamaana Ethirkaalam
Pattu Poochigal - Maalai Sooda Vaa
Romba NaaLaaga - Ennadi Meenatchi

premananth
21st April 2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks Shankar.

umaramesh
21st April 2006, 03:48 PM
Ramki

Thanks. Because of your effort we really enjoyed MSV's rare songs.

This time I am unable to predict. :lol: Eagerly waiting for next MSV special

ramesh

umaramesh
21st April 2006, 04:02 PM
Premnath

I think missed out ever green duet from the film .NIZHAL NEJAMAGIRTHU.

ramesh

premananth
21st April 2006, 04:44 PM
Ya.
wonderful duet - Ilakkanam Maarotho Ilakkiyam Anatho...... lovely.

other gems:

1.Baarathi KaNNamma - Ninaithale Inikkum
2.Ore Naal Unai Naan - ILamai Oonjalaadugirathu
3. Ore Jeevan - Neeya

What I gave earlier were rare songs list

madhu
21st April 2006, 07:42 PM
Hi Premnath

Muthal Muthal Varum is from " kalangalil aval vasantham"

premananth
21st April 2006, 07:49 PM
Madhu.... I'm Prem Ananth.

Anyhow thanks for the info.

Kaalanggalil Aval Vasantham also has "MaNamagale Un MaNavarai Kolam" - artputhamaana paadal Varigal...!

madhu
21st April 2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Prem Ananth..

I think ..female voice in all the songs of Kalangalil avaL vasantham is VJ only..

"manamagale", "anbenum sudaral", "padum vande parthadhunda","mudhal mudhal varum sugam"... all !

Naaz
21st April 2006, 11:07 PM
Ramki -

Alaiyil Aarambiththu, Sorgaththil Mudinthuvittadhae Endru Irukku! :D

Thanks for hosting a class compilation all through the week!
-------------

Prem Ananth -

That's a good list of songs. Enni Irunthadhu is a VJ - Malaysia Vasudevan duet.
--------------

Regarding the "weird" coupling in Kora Kaagaz / Lalitha : The relationship is student / lecturer. VA / GG were chosen specifically for their age. What really sank Lalitha was the additional professor vaadai provided by "Calcutta" Prof. Viswanathan as Sujatha's father. Presidency College Staff Common Room-la Moonu Avar Ukkaandhuthuttu Vandha Maadhiri Aayidichchu!

premananth
22nd April 2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the Info Madhu!

Thanks for the correction Naaz!

Ramki,
If you don't mind, could you pls host "Poothathu Kamalam Purinthathu KaaraNam" from Nyanak Kulzhanthai?

Ramki
24th April 2006, 02:51 AM
Neel D, No suspicion on anyone at all. Infact I'm happy my tastes are in sync with others.

Premananth thanks for the info on Lalitha.
Sorry i do not have the song you reqeusted

JMahesh thanks for the info on theerppu. I like the 'amma or ambigai' pol song

SN23 no i do not have that MP song :(

Naaz thanks for the clarification on VA-GG :)

Ramki
24th April 2006, 05:44 AM
Pick #297

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kangalaal_mn.rm

Song: kaNgaLaal naan varaindhen
Film: Mangala Nayagi
Singers: PSuseela, KJYesudoss
Music: VKumar

Another hindi remake another emotional senDimenDal story.
The original 'sajan bina suhagan' had Nutan, Rajendrakumar, Vinod Mehra, Padmini kholapure(baby) etc.
Story: Nutan and her husband(I think dr shreeram lagoo) has 3 daughters, the youngest(Padmini K) with heart problems. The father has cancer but afraid that the news might affect the daughter, he goes away to a remote place and dies there. The family hides his death from the kid . Rajendra kumar, ex classmate and oruthala kaadhalan of Nutan, gets close to the family. How the kid learns about ther fathers death and Nutan marries rajendrakumar forms the rest.

Usha khanna was the MD for original and she came up with few good songs. The stand out was KJYesudoss/Anuradha Paudwal's 'Madhuban khushboo deta hai'.

In tamil , KRVijaya did Nutans role and i believe sarathbabu did RK's role. Actress Shobana did PK's role. I think this was her second film as a child artiste(First was banumathy directed dasavatharam). I have not watched the tamil version so cant say if it was better or worse than the original.

Todays pick is again the standout song of the album. If you wish to sample the remaining songs , click here

http://www.emusic.com/album/10907/10907108.html

madhu
24th April 2006, 06:16 AM
HI Rami..

nice song.. angum ingum.. konjam konjam..
idhe MD-in "unnidam mayangugiREn" vadai adikkara pola thONudhu..

BTW, is there another version of the song sung by SP Shailaja ?

premananth
24th April 2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Ramki,

very nice song....
The song have tipical touch of VK. Eventhough I Listened it first time.
I think, Mangala Nayaki was last movie under Krishnan- Panju's directions.

Anyone could help me to clear this doubts?

1. Are there any songs sung by TMS under A.M.Raja's Music? (I only can remember VaNNa mAn oru pakkam from Enakkoru Magan Pirappaan.")

2. Does TMS composed music for any movie?

Naaz
24th April 2006, 07:57 PM
Ramki -

Mangala Nayaki is remembered (if at all) for just this song! One of the last good tunes from VK, and PS/KJY fill it with dignity and tenderness. These singers make the words come alive. They convey the "feeling" of the song without showing us (no gimmicks and unncessary stresses/aural highlights) at every turn that they are "moved"by the words they sing! What subtle artistry is all about!

Keep these classics coming! :D

vel1970
25th April 2006, 09:55 PM
Ramki: many of VJ+SPB songs under MSV are good. Better are VB's.

KanagaLaal naan varainden is a wonderful composition. KRV's lover Sharath babu sings along with KRV. Then KRV sings alone (PS). Then Shobana sings (SPS). 3 versions used very effectively.
An undigestable thing was Srikant acted as KRV's husband. Jodi poruththam sariye illai. I think they acted together in Karunali ullam also, but not as jodi.

Keep up Ramki :-)

Ramki
26th April 2006, 04:13 AM
Thanks Bala,Madhu,Premananth, Naaz and vel.

Madhu yes there is a SPS version too.

Premananth, 'balaparikshai' had music by TMS

vel thanks for the details on mangala naayaki

Ramki
26th April 2006, 04:27 AM
[tscii:e7dad2658a]Pick #298

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/vangadi_pp.rm

Song: vangadi chittukaLaa
Film: pattina pravesam
Singer :
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/pow06/lre_3.jpg
Music:MSViswanathan

Thanks to NeelD for the song and LRE Picture. Here is his excellent writeup. Thanks Neel.

The song being presented today is from the film Pattina Pravesam directed by K.Balachander. I don't know much about the plot of the film, and count on posters here to fill in. K.Balachander's movies usually had very good songs that actually summarized part of the proceedings through the song lyrics. LRE sang many wonderful songs in KB’s movies (ANimuthu vAnggi vanthEn, adi ennadi ulagam, Ananda thANdavamO, mAppiLLai ragasiyam, kAthOduthAn nAn pAduvEn, Hello My Dear, kalyANam kachchEri, nAn oru kathAnAyagi, etc.). vAnggadi sittukkaLA is one of LRE’s hit songs, but the song is rarely heard these days. I believe that the male voice in the beginning of the song belongs to MSV.

[/tscii:e7dad2658a]

jmahesh
26th April 2006, 05:18 AM
everfamous elandapazham paata vituteengalae

balaji
26th April 2006, 06:52 AM
Though a good song, did not fit the voice of a simple Village Belle acted by new found Meera (Viziyile Malardhadhu and En Kanamani Un Kadhali fmame)

As a small kid I enjoyed the movie in spite of a heavy subject (29/30 years ago ). Good acting by Sarath Babu, Delhi Ganesh and Jai Ganesh though they were all new comers.
I think Visu was the writer as it was his play I suppose. Villagers come with great expectations to Pattinam and face challenges and failures and eventually return back.

Ofcourse who can forget the Vaan Nila SPB version and the lesser known LRAnjali version

Wish I can see the movie again

Thanks Ramki
bala

RC
26th April 2006, 08:05 AM
Bala: Sarath Babu? in pattina pravesam? Did you mean Sivachandran?

Neel D
26th April 2006, 09:31 AM
everfamous elandapazham paata vituteengalae

jmahesh,

Thanks for bringing that up. That was not an oversight. It was deliberate. It is a catchy song famous for its double entendre. LRE did a wonderful job with that song. But I made an attempt to not list the dabbankuthu songs and folk songs that crossed the line into kuthu genre. As entertaining as they may be, there is nothing musically creative or demanding in those songs. Of course that is my opinion. And that is why I did not list those songs.

I also did not list any of LRE's amman songs, because those songs are still played at temple festivals and are commonly heard.

premananth
26th April 2006, 10:42 AM
Wonderful listing Ramki....!

LRE in one my favorite singer. Her first solo was "Puthu Penne Puthu Penne" from Nalla Idathu Sambantham.

There are some fantastic duet with SGovintharajan - Thanggachi Chinna ponnu, anbu enbathu – Asai alaigal (also Jamuna Rani), Maambalzha Thottam Malligai Koottam from Oli Vilakku, Mathurai Arasaalum Meenatchi from Thirumalai Thenkumari.

The last portion of Mathurai ArasaaLum:
“Thiruverkaatinile Karumaari
Then Puthuvai Nagarinile MuthuMari
Samaypuranthannil Magamaayi
Sagala Saubaakkiyam Thanthiduvaal Maakaali”
Sema dappangkuttu portion and only she can sing with the additional gimmicks.

I Love her humming in Kallellaam Maanikka Kallaagumaa (AlayamaNi), Veedu Varai Uravu (Paatha KaaNikkai), Maanikka Thottil Inggirukka (Lullaby – Ari Ari Ari Arariraro)- (Panam Padaithavan).
Kaattotu Kulzhal aada from Periya Idathu Penn is another gem.

Another comedy song with Chandra Babu – Poranthaalum Ambilaiyaa Porakkak Koodathu. I love the sound she gave after the first line – aa oo.

Another solo, Kallellam Selai senjaan Pallava Raaja – from Vaa Raja Vaa.
Her duet with her sister LR.Anjali in Varuvaan Vadivelan – Paaru Saamy Paaru Iva Palzhaya Korathi is another Nice kurathi Song. Another Kurathi song for Ambika with MS.Vasuthevan in Deviyin Thiruvilaiyaadal – Valli Amman Vantha Kulam Engga Kulam Thaan.

Paalile Vennai Undu Paarkkum Pothu theriyuma from Devi Sri Karumaariyamman is duet with Vani Jeyram. (I think this is the only song both of them have sung together) LRE for Manorama and VJ for K.R.Vijaya. LRE kuralil antha Thimir, Anavam avvalavu alzhagaaga thoNikkum- Manoramavin ematru character – ai polave.

Another Samiyaattam song is Sakthi VanthaLadi from Sakthi Leelai. (very rare song she sung under TKR after he separate from MSV). The portion “Asainthaal Vinnulagam Asaiyum Thannale…. Hmm…. Only she can do.
I think LRE has the suitable voice for Jayalalitha after PS. I think only both of them sung for her.

When I was child there ware long wooden houses (call lines) in Estates. So what else song played in a house can listen to next or to the third house. Whenever we played the LRE Amman Songs, the woman in third house got Trans- Saami aattam. So have to stop the music. Not only she. During Amman Kovil Thiruvilzha time, Poosaari Udukkai Olikka Thevai illai, LRE paattu pothum. Ella pengalukkum Saami vanthu vidum. Appadi Oru kural.

But I’ womdering why she sung that kind of song in Arul – vikram’s movie after she already established as devotional singer.
[/tscii][tscii]

jmahesh
26th April 2006, 04:09 PM
Many years back when DD was the sole tv channel i saw an interview with LRE.In that she mentioned about elandapazham song being one of her personal favourites and in a concert in malaysia/singapore she had to sing that song over & over again several tiimes due to fans request.Thats why i mentioned about that song.i have heard from others about the song having double meaning.( nijama enakku theriyathu)
My favourite is kathodu thaan.My mother told me that in a recent programme in Vijay tv KSC quoted this song as her favourite LRE song & sang a few lines

balaji
26th April 2006, 04:24 PM
RC:

Both Sivachandran and Sarath Babu acted. SB acts as Meera's Boss and who would have robbed Meera's priceless possession. THere was a scene where a train sound was superimposed when Meera and SB talk. That scene was praised by all Magaiznes..

Bala

umaramesh
26th April 2006, 04:41 PM
Hi

Thanks. Nice to hear this song after a long time. MSV KALAKI VITTAR(NADASWARAM ETC). splendid humming in the beginning but dont resembles MSV voice.

I like LRE &TMS combination verymuch especially THULLUVATHU ILLAMAI. The way she rendered KAANATHA KOLAM NE KANUM NERAM. WOW.

one more song NAM URUVARAI URUVAR SANTHIPOOM ENA KADHAL THEVATHI SONNAL with TMS. We have countless like this.

Ramesh

sathyakabali
26th April 2006, 06:59 PM
Very nice write up about one of my favorite singer.Thanks Neel.

Here is a song from her debut film nalla idaththu sammantham-dhukkaththilum sirikkaNum thuNivudanE irukaNum. I featerued this in URGO series last year. This is one of her personal favorites.She sacrificed a lot for her large family of brothers and sisters. She recalled this song in an interview that remembering those lines wil bring back all the courage and strength.
Ramki and Neel
Thanks for remembering LRE.

http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1560&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

RR
Bala is right about the storyline.I think KB introduced Delhi ganesh, Meera and ?Sivachandran. This song was picturised on the village side with Meera in Eththam and vayalveLi.Meera is the youngest sister of the 3 brothers.The story reminded me the film Pazhani by Nadigar thilagam.The best in the album is SPB in vaan nila picturised with Siva and Swarna on the beach.
MSV sang "dharmaththin kaNnai katti"- a kind of thematic song how the Chennai pattinam corrupted the innocent family from the village.

csramasami
26th April 2006, 08:10 PM
During the period preceeding Pattina Pravesam, AIR-Chennai used to air serial dramas daily 15 to 30 minutes in the afternoon. Visu, Mouli etc were very successful with their dramas and many of them were broadcast in the radio also.

If I am correct, Pattinap Pravesam was a popular drama by Visu and aired in AIR also. Later KB decided to make this story into film and thus started the filmy career of Visu.

Also, with IR fastly establishing in that period, this one film particularly the song "Vaan Nila", gave satisfactory moments to MSV lovers!

CSR

Naaz
26th April 2006, 11:22 PM
Ramki / Neel D,

Great presentation! I am always glad to rediscover LRE! Rather uncanny actually, for it was only the other day that I found myself in hallways of the immortal Palinginaal Oru Maaligai! LRE, what an original! She could go from rural to urban with just one turn of her tongue! Thanks for that list!

Pattinap Pravaesm found its "inspiration" in Conquerors of the Golden City. KB used the same stencil for another film about dillusioned hearts under one roof: Kalyana Agathigal. Hope to hear Manasukkul Uttkaarndhu Maniadiththaai sometime... (has it made POTW?)

Among those "introduced" by this film, Delhi Ganesh made the most successful (and lasting) transition from stage to screen.

S.Balaji
27th April 2006, 12:35 AM
Pattina pravesam is a stage play by Visu which was made a movie by KB .......

a family of villagers enter into Chennai in pursuit of doing some business, getting higher education, a good job and face failures......
while Delhi ganesh, the lead member loses everything in business....

Sivachandran becomes paralysed after an accident ....

Kaathaadi ramamurthy another brother becomes a thief i think ( his famous dialogue in this movie was BUNGLING )

a nice movie picturised well by KB

S.Balaji
27th April 2006, 12:36 AM
but KB ends the movie on a slightly positive note by showing Sivachandran reacting a bit from the paralysis stage....which gives the family a ray of hope...

jn
27th April 2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks to Ramki and Neel for this rare LRE song. I have been looking for this song from a long time. Couldn't get a hold of it anywhere. Today, I listened quite a few times and enjoyed.
The way LRE starts saying "ha" is very catchy.

My all time favourites of LRE:
With TMS:
paarvai onRE pOdhumE( yaar nee)
thaazham poovE thanga nilaavE (raththa thilagam)
pattikkaadaa pattaNamaa (maattukkaara vElan)
poo vaiththa poovaikku ..with PS and TMS (maattukkaara vELan)
avaLukkenna azhagiya mugam(Server sundharam)
sorgam pakkaththil(enga maamaa)

with PBS:
muLLil rojaa kaLLURum rojaa (kalaik kOvil)
nice yodelling by PBS.
malaraip paRiththaay (sengkamalath theevu)
yaarOdum pEsak koodaadhu

with PS:
ennadi mayakkamaa solladi (savaalE samaaLi)
paattonRu tharuvaar (server sundharam)
sonnadhellaam nadandhidumaa (paadha kaaNikkai)
vaadiyammaa vaadi (paNakkaraak kudumbam)
mundhaanai pandhaada (nenjam maRappadhillai)
paalaadai mEni (poovaa thalaiyaa)

Solos: (Innumerable)
vaadai kaatRammaa (raththa thilagam)
yaaradi vandhaar(vaanampaadi)
ammammaa kannaththil kannam vaiththuk koLLu
birds on the trees
muththamidum nErameppo

list will go on for ever.

Neel D
27th April 2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks Ramki for featuring the song.
Thanks sathyakabali, Naaz, jn.

Kannadasan writes such imaginative lines...

pattaNaththai katti izhuththu
enthan pakkaththilE koNdu niRuththu

And LRE sings it with such authority and aplomb. Especially when she repeats the lines with a "hoy hoy hoy hoy hoy hoy hoy" in between the lines, then pacing slowly through the second line and finishing off with a firm "niRuththu..u!".

To me these two lines showcase the genius of MSV, Kannadasan and LREswari all at once. Such great artistes.

Ramki
27th April 2006, 05:08 AM
Thank you everyone for the excellent response.

Ramki
27th April 2006, 05:26 AM
Pick #299

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/mugam_vm.rm

Song: mugam senthamarai
Film: vedikkai manidhargaL
Singer : SJanaki
lyrics: Vaali
Music: Shankar Ganesh

When i was a kid, my favorite day of the week was friday.
It was early 80s. The only tv channel available was doordarshan and every friday's oliyum oLiyum was a celebration. Since there was no school on saturdays , me and my friends will play till 8 pm and then go straight to sit in front of tv , just in time for OO.
On a new friday, the first song that was played is todays pick. The song wass picturised on Vijayashanthi. I have seen this song only once but still remember the details. VS, clad in a yellow saree will start singing in front of a mirror. The hero(Rajeev) will float into her dreams and she will fly to gardens and parks singing the song.

Another reason to love friday: Hindu's entertainment section. It will have the reviews of latest films. Being a film buff i will read the reviews of all films published, irrespective of the language.
That friday there was a review on 'vedikkai manidhargaL'. It got an average review and if i remember right, Rajeev played a dual role, one is a nice guy and the other a con man.
Todays song was praised in the review and i like(d) it too.

Today we have abundant tv channels playing songs agains and again and numerous websites that give us the reviews of new films. Though they are informative and entertaining, it kind of stole the thrill we experienced those nice innocent days.

I'm getting old :)

rajraj
27th April 2006, 05:32 AM
I'm getting old :)

Time to move to Memories of Yesteryears section ! :lol:

balaji
27th April 2006, 06:34 AM
Ditto Feelings on OO and Hindu Review (I can add IE review also as I used to borrow neighbor's papers for that)

80-82 was a good time for SG as he came with a number of nice melodies and was having a number of hits.

This song was a good one also and I believe that Balaguru guy directed this movie as well (Kanni Paruvathile and Chinna Chinna Veedu Katti were some of his other movies I think)

SJ excels as always except for the occassional shrill in her voice

Thanks Ramki

Bala

umaramesh
27th April 2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Ramki

Thrill is not there now. Those days we have no option but to wait for OLEYUM OLIYUM . Nice thing is there will be mixture of old and new songs. I can recollect Bala muralikrishna programme on RAGAS and he will select one cinema song and explain the speciality and MD's creativity. I think Doordarshan also did some commendable programmes.

ramesh

ShankarV69
27th April 2006, 02:12 PM
The name of the Balamurali krishna programme is SWARA RAAGA SUDHA

I (We) also enjoyed the PADAMUM PAADALUM telecast on DD-2 Channel, which used to have some rare songs that are not even telecast on OO.

premananth
27th April 2006, 07:11 PM
[tscii:f338c0338d]I never heard this song before this. It’s very unfortunate for me. Really nice song. Artputhamaana varigal.

LRE patri ellorum pesikkittu irukka, adutha paattum LRE paatta varum endru paartha, SJ vanthu nitkiraar. Analum rasikka vaippathil kuraivillai.

Great Ramki.

Could anybody tell the synopsis of Vedikkai Manithargal ?
[/tscii:f338c0338d]

Meerakrishna
27th April 2006, 09:38 PM
Really nice song, thanks Ramki. SJ voice and expression is very sweet. Thanks once again for this cute song.

regards
Meera

Naaz
27th April 2006, 11:09 PM
Ramki -

Wow, had not heard this one for many years! Great find! Another SJ (duet with MVD?) song for SG that I been seeking is "Idhazhil Thenpaandimuththukkal..." from Uchchakkattam? Hope you can bring that to POTW some day! If you can make it a double-bill with "Nee Vennmalligai..." (Veettukku Oru Kannagi) - I'll be twice happy!

jmahesh
28th April 2006, 03:16 AM
Thanks for this song.Have heard it in radio decades ago and virtually faded from my memory.i was very happy to listen to it after such a long time.I am really amazed with your selection of songs.

Neel D
28th April 2006, 03:17 AM
Thank you all for the passionate response to LRE song.
Premananth and jn - thanks for the rare songs you have added to the lists.

Ramki,
mugam senthAmarai is a lovely song. It vanished from the airwaves too quickly along with many other great songs of that era. Thanks for bringing it back. It is a nice composition with elements of surprise and unpredictability. Great job by Shankar-Ganesh and sweet singing by S.Janaki.

Ramki
28th April 2006, 06:24 AM
Raj, Yes in another 3-4 decades :)

Thank you everyone for sharing your memories.

Naaz i do not have the songs you requested :(

Ramki
28th April 2006, 06:44 AM
Pick #300

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/valibam_ds.rm

Song: valibam vazhga
Film: devi sridevi
Singer : SJanaki , SPB

JMahesh , i finaly located the CD and here is your request. The quality is not great but that shouldnt stop from enjoying this beautiful number.

The eternal second hero-heroine of tamil cinema, AVMRajan and Pushpalatha, produced this film to boost the career of their daughter Mahalakshmi aka sri. Sri had a dream debut. How many actress start their career with a kamalhassan film?Even though he played a 'guest' role in ranitheni, his name alone brought few people to theatres. The film also had good songs by IR. But unfortunately the few werent enough to sustain the film in theatres.

In the past AVMRajan has produced and starred in few movies to boost his own career, but they failed too. Similarly, his last(?) production 'devi sridevi' too failed miserably. The film had AVMR, sri, Suresh, subash etc. It was a routine story of three guys loving the same gal.
The film bombed and so did the career of mahalakshmi.

She then ventured into Kannada cinema (sri in KM)and became quite popular there. Where are AVMR and Pushpalatha? The last news i read about AVMR is about his conversion to christianity.

Devi sridevi had good songs by IR.

'dhasarathanin thirumaganai'(SJ, MV, DC)
'saan piLLai aanalum'(MV) and
todays pick.

Todays pick is one of my favorite favorite SPB-SJ duet. The pleasant interludes, the sweet voices and good lyrics make it an excellent song

RC
28th April 2006, 07:06 AM
Ramki: I believe Nandri (Arjun, Nalini, Karthik, Sri & dog in tha cast) was his last production. AVM Rajan had a cameo as the DGP. I could be wrong, though!

vaalibam vaazhga arumayaana paadal! For whatever reason, I was all along thinking that this one is by Krishnachander!

Naaz: I havent heard idazhil thenpaaNdi muthukkaL in a long time. Thanks for reminding the gem. I have been humming this one for a while now!

Ramki
28th April 2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks RC.

Forgot to add this : Sri made a comeback in Mahendran's 'oor panjayathu'

premananth
28th April 2006, 08:30 AM
Yes, you are wright RC.

Nandri was by AVM Rajan undrer Rajkamal Banner.

The Producer's name of Thevi Sri Thevi was Pushpa Rajan (Pushpalatha & Rajan) under Abi arts Banner.

Gangai Amaran was the Director and Writer for the movie. It was remake of Rendu Jadala Seetha - Telugu.

The movie was spoiled during the colour printing in Gemini Lab. MGR's Government was involved in this matter ask Gemini Lab to Re-processed it.

premananth
28th April 2006, 08:31 AM
Yes, you are wright RC.

Nandri was by AVM Rajan undrer Rajkamal Banner.

The Producer's name of Thevi Sri Thevi was Pushpa Rajan (Pushpalatha & Rajan) under Abi arts Banner.

Gangai Amaran was the Director and Writer for the movie. It was remake of Rendu Jadala Seetha - Telugu.

The movie was spoiled during the colour printing in Gemini Lab. MGR's Government was involved in this matter ask Gemini Lab to Re-processed it.

premananth
28th April 2006, 08:40 AM
Yes, you are wright RC.

Sorry for the error. it suppose "The film of the movie".

Sorry for the inconvenience.

baroque
28th April 2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks Ramki for your passion! Neenga always host songs I have never heard.. many times I don't reply you! Please always remember Baroque enjoys your picks & very grateful to you & the team!

Ramki rocks!! :D

jmahesh
28th April 2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks a lot Ramki for the song.
indha paatai kettu rasika vendum endru romba natkalaha thedikondirindhen.Kalakiviteerhal.
( Mahalakshmi also acted in mudhal vasantham as chandrasekar's jodi)

baroque
29th April 2006, 12:57 AM

jn
29th April 2006, 03:24 AM
"vaalibam vaazhga" song takes me back to the memories of all the nice IR songs in the 80's.
SPB's voice sounds a bit different but sweet as always. SJ's voice konjam kireech nu iurkku.

jn
29th April 2006, 03:26 AM

ramki: rombath thaan ninaippu unakku. :)
you don't have to be 70 years old to post in Memories of yesteryears thread. Remember I have been posting there too. :)

madhu
30th April 2006, 02:10 AM

ramki: rombath thaan ninaippu unakku. :)
you don't have to be 70 years old to post in Memories of yesteryears thread. Remember I have been posting there too. :)

JN : ungalukkum rombathan..... ha ha :lol: :lol:

Ramki
1st May 2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks everyone

JN , I forgot you are posting there. So I might post there in another 6-7 decades :)

Ramki
1st May 2006, 05:24 AM
Pick #301

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/dhaagame_gm.rm

Song: dhaagame undaanathe
Film: getti meLam
Singers : KJY, Uma Ramanan
lyrics: Vaali

I realised over the weekend that POW, having just crossed 300 counts, never featured a uma ramanan song before. She is one of the rare singers in TFM to have more than 95% success rate.
She has a unique voice and was fortunate to sing some of the best songs by IR. She was sparsely used by other MDs. I recently heard her song for a recent vijay film and surprisingly her voice still sounded young.

Todays song is a fine duet by the hit pair KJY and UR. Its supposedly based on
Subhapanthuvarali raagam(http://www.tfmpage.com/ci/ci3.html).

'getti meLam' is a horrible horrible film. 2.5 hrs of pure torture(Thanks to DD). Like many visu films, GM had a cluster of stars with karthik and sulakshana(not sasikala as incorrectly mentioned inthe article above) playing the lead.
GM is the only film visu worked with IR.
'amma nee kaNNamoochi aadidalaama'(UR) is another nice song from GM

Neel D
1st May 2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the song Ramki. Uma Ramanan has a voice thin as a silk thread, clear as an undisturbed stream combined with an unquestionable innocence. Her voice connects with the listener very easily.

Couple of other UR-KJY duets:
"kaNNanE nI vara kAththirundhEn" from Thendrale Ennai Thodu
"AththAdi Adhisayam pArththAlE paravasam" from Manaivi Sollay Mandiram

Naaz
1st May 2006, 08:20 PM
Ramki -

I don't think I have heard this song before. When was this film made?? Visu made so many so-so movies! :D
UR is a good singer, and her voice marks the midway between innocence and reticence in every song! :o

Thanks for sharing this duet.

baroque
1st May 2006, 08:43 PM
How about her duet 'boopalam isaikkum.....' -Thooral ninnu pochu!!! My favorite is her solos 'manjal veyil......' Nandu & 'aanandha raagam ketkum.....'!! Good Old Raaja!! love, vinatha!

jn
2nd May 2006, 12:23 AM
rare song by KJY and UR.
Naaz: raakkammaa site says it was made in 1985.
I don't remember this movie at all. :)
Other good KJY and UR duets are:
aagaaya veNNilaave (arangEtra vELai)
nee paadhi naan paadhi kaNNE (kELadi kaNmani)
With Deepan chakravarthi:
poongkadhavE thaazh thiRavaay (nizhalgaL)
With Unni Menon:
pon maane kObam yeno (okd)

Almost all her solos are popular songs.

jn
2nd May 2006, 12:27 AM
madhu: ungalukke rombave rombath thaan ... irukkum pOdhu enakku konjam rombath thaan .... irukka koodaadha? :lol: :lol:
Ramki: Almost half the old postings( 5 0r 6 years old) are yours in MOY section. You have started threads on PBS and others. adhellaam maRandhuttu nee 6 0r 7 decades nu sollalaamaa? :P

rajeshkrv
2nd May 2006, 12:39 AM
jn,

UR with deepan (one more song- Sevvandhi pookalil seidha veedu )

jn
2nd May 2006, 01:33 AM
rajesh: yes. adhuvum nalla song. Thanks for reminding.

RC
2nd May 2006, 04:37 AM
Isn't sevvaraLi thOttathilE unna ninachen from Bagavathipuram Railwaygate(?) by UR?

Ramki
2nd May 2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks everyone for listing the good songs of UR. Hope you will like the selections i plan to upload this week.

RC yes its by her

balaji
2nd May 2006, 06:12 AM
Ramki, the next one is from Rakkai Koyil right?

Bala

Ramki
2nd May 2006, 06:20 AM
Pick #302

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/ingu_ek.rm

Song: ingu irukkum
Film: edhir kaatru
Singer : Uma Ramanan
lyrics: Mu. Mehta

Todays pick is a cocktail of excellent guitar arrangements and great lyrics , sweetened by UR's honey drenched voice.
Till to date i cannot understand why this song never made it big. could it be due to bad performance of the film at B.O ?overshadowed by other good songs IR was churning out at that time?

This is the only film i know that had all the female songs sung by UR(2 of them hehe).

'raja illai raani' (UR, AM),
'koondai vittu'(KJY)

are other good songs from EK.

The film, directed by Mukta Vsundar, had Karthik, kaNaga, anandbabu etc. I havent watched the film but believe the story is about 2 financially opposite people(karthik and anandbabu), switching places to deal with their troubled lives. Kanaga played a hip(?), modern (??) journalist. The kaatru in the title couldnt provide much oxygen for the film to survive at B.O.

Ramki
2nd May 2006, 06:21 AM
Bala :)

RC
2nd May 2006, 06:29 AM
I havent heard this one before. Nice one with IR's signature allover it. I'm reminded of 'sandhathil paadatha kavithai un angathil yaar thandhadhu' especially starting at 0.51

Naaz
2nd May 2006, 08:41 AM
Ramki -

Nice pick! But what makes this different from the earlier IR is the presence of the snyth. It seems to pervade this song, but the rhythm carries it along nicely.

If UR is how this week is going in, let me put in a request for a long cherished song (and if you have file, please! :D )
Dhaagam Edukkura Naeram (Enakkaaga Kaaththiru)

jn -
Thanks for the detail.

tvsankar
2nd May 2006, 09:00 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the rare Gem!! Indha padalin lyrics miga arumai !!!

Nice comments about the film !!! :)

The kaatru in the title couldnt provide much oxygen for the film to survive at B.O.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

madhu
2nd May 2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Ramki,

nice one. oru sandhegam !
Is "Bala nagamma" ( new one with sridevi) song "palli araikkul malligaiyai" is by U R ?

balaji
2nd May 2006, 04:33 PM
Ramki

Thanks for a simple/Nice song. Crytal clear voice thy Uma..

I am somehow confident that Rakkai Koyil is going to be posted? Oru Nambikkai Than

Bala