PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the week: 1 Mar to 5 Aug 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

thumburu
25th January 2006, 06:37 PM
I prefer this song, an early version to the latter screechy, scary "Nizhalo nijamo" in Paadum Paravaigal. Iam surprised as I vaguely remember Kalki giving a good review for thE movie and music !!! The interludes are typical vintage IR stuff. The bass is also groovy.BTW is "alai meedhu thadumaruthey", a nice melody by VJ also from the same film? That song desrves hosting

jmahesh
25th January 2006, 10:29 PM
alaimeedhu thadumaruthey is from the movie anbulla malarae sung by VJ & SPB

Ramki
26th January 2006, 05:42 AM
Thank you everyone for your additions,corrections and inputs

Ramki
26th January 2006, 05:55 AM
Pick #250

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/endhan_nop.rm

Song: endhan kaNNe
Film: ninaivo oru paravai
Singers: KJYesudoss, BSSasirekha
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music: Jerry Amaldev

Jerry Amaldev is another talented malayalam MD who couldn't make it in TFM. He made his debut with Fazil, mohanlal, poornima jairam in 'manjil virijna pookaL'. The film and the songs were super duper hits. (You can listen to the songs at
http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/movie/M0000405.html)

His tamil debut 'ninaivo oru paravai' was never finished but the songs were hits in ilangai vaanoli and tiruchi vaanoli. I'm not sure who were the actors in NOP.
His second tamil film is Nadhiya's 'poove iLam poove' which had couple of good songs too(I can recall 'pattu paada vandhen' by VJ)

From Mars
26th January 2006, 11:09 AM
Ramki, the other song that I can re-call, 'oru pattam poochiyena vitta paranthu vidum' by SPS. there is one more duet song, which I can't recollect it. It's been a long time since I watched this movie :)

jmahesh
26th January 2006, 11:28 PM
inimaiaana paadal.but i have not heard this song before.I am really surprised that you are able to host such rare songs.Thank you

Ramki
27th January 2006, 07:09 AM
FM ungaLukke theriyaadha songs?:))

Thanks JMahesh

Ramki
27th January 2006, 07:25 AM
Pick #251

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/raama_lk.rm
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/sri_lk.rm

Songs: raama suguna/sri saarajana
Film: Lava kusa
Singers: PLeela, Psuseela
Lyrics: Marudhakasi/?
Music: KVMahadevan

'Lava kusa' is my favorite part of Ramayanam. Not only we witness the cowardice of King Rama but we also see the bravery of Seetha matha. The aswamedha yaagam and the ensuing battle scene add interesting chapters to this phase of ramayanam.
The film,with NTR anjalidevi gemini, was fairly engrossing. But the songs were amazing.
'jagam pugazhum punya kadhai' one of the best written songs in TFM. Marudhakasi amazingly folded the entire ramayanam into few poetic lines.
Todays picks are seldom heard to but they are not inferior in anyway. The short sloka by PS makes a great listening..try it.

yvsmani
27th January 2006, 10:24 AM
Regarding ninaivo oru paravai, I am hearing for the first time. Its an OK song. The initial part of the song, KJY's starting lines reminds me of "idhu enna rathiri" song by him. Music muzhuvathum oru vitha mallu vaadai iruppathu pol oru unarvu. thanks. superb recording.

RR
27th January 2006, 01:57 PM
PS sloka is a good one (in Ranjani raga).

jmahesh
28th January 2006, 03:13 AM
I saw lava kusa atleast 20 years back on video(when VCR was a craze)i only remember jagam pugalum from the movie.
Those days in all sad songs the play back singers thaembi thaembi azhuthaanga.( vikkal edukkara maadhiri)the first song is one such song.(pls take this comment lightheartedly)
the second one was good
by the way was lava kusa dubbed from telugu?

Ramki
30th January 2006, 05:23 AM
Mahesh those days our films were overdramatic. They had to overstress every emotion. Thembal illenaa maKKal soga patu illenu ninaichiduvaangaLondra bayam:)

I think LavaKusa was made side by side in tamil and telugu.

Ramki
30th January 2006, 05:37 AM
Pick #252

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/poothu_ei.rm

Song: poothu nikkudhu
Film: echil iravugaL
Singers: Malaysia Vasudevan, Jency
Lyrics: Prakasam?
Music: iLaiyaraja

This song is another proof to why IR was the reigning king of 70s and 80s TFM. The song flows like the cool spring breeze that seeps through your window sills. MV and Jency, not great singers but fortunate ones to sing such gems , do full justice to the song.

'echil iravugaL' was directed by Professor turned director A.S.Pragasam. The film was about panhandlers and trash pickers. Unfortunately the audience were not prepared to 'pick' this trash and it went straight to the bin. The film had Raveendar, Rupa, Vanitha (and Rajesh?).
The film had another great duet 'poo mele veesum poongaatre' By VJ and KJY.

SN23
30th January 2006, 11:05 AM
[tscii:83cf988b33]Ramki: Jagam Pugazhum yerkenavE host paNNalayA? Anyways, a grand bible for a tale recitation through songs. PL, even now she lives in this song. PS, a junior to PL at that time gave an equivalent concert on par with PL. Both did a fabulous contribution to TFM, besides Ghantasala (Original MD) and KVM (MD for Thamizh Dubbing). Interesting to listen and realize that no overshadowing was attempted by both the legends.

When one watches the movie, he/she would see only Lava and Kucha singing, definitely not PL & PS. Great illaya :-)

----

Ramki, “poothu nikkudhu”, is it not by Jency? Jikki did not sing in echil IravugaL.

----

Mahesh, as Ramki righty said, emotions were over exhibited in yester year movies. Every aspect of the film like Dialogues, Lyrics & Songs etc had extra kAram in their region. Listen to KaNNile neer edarkku kAlamellam azhuvadarkku. In the mid of the song itself, you will become Ooravsi Saradha or Sowcar; thEmbi thEmbi kulungi kulngi azhuveergaL alongwith SG & SJ :-([/tscii:83cf988b33]

SN23
30th January 2006, 11:06 AM
Hero of echil IravugaL is Muttai KaN Pratap Bothan :lol:

vel1970
30th January 2006, 09:30 PM
Ramki sir, thanx for the slogam by PS in lava kusha. It is really great with veena and violin as background.

even the PL and PS singing together with kevudal is also interesting. I could not reproduce. BTW, who completes the final kevi azhdal at the end? Leela?

// In the mid of the song itself, you will become Ooravsi Saradha or Sowcar; thEmbi thEmbi kulungi kulngi azhuveergaL alongwith SG & SJ //

SN23:- :rotfl:

jmahesh
31st January 2006, 12:02 AM
neengal sonnathu anaithum unmai Ramki.
as a child how many times have I cried along with those heroes/heroines.Athuvum sivaji azhuthaal enakku oru bucket thevaipadum.
I have never heard this song from Echil iravugal.BUt it is a good song definitely.
I have heard 'poomele veesum' and another song sung by SJ 'pootha malligai kaathu nikkuthu' which is reasonably good.
Indha A.S.prakasam thaan sivaji vaithu 'sadhanai' eduthaara?

Naaz
31st January 2006, 12:14 AM
Ramki -

I've been trying to recollect this song for sometime...I just couldn't get the tune right. Thanks for bringing the tune to my lost memory! I can't make out much of what Jency sings in the charanams...but one out of two ain't so bad! :D

Ramki
31st January 2006, 04:07 AM
Mahesh i thought 'pootha malligai kaathu nikkudhu' is from 'namma ooru nalla ooru'?

jmahesh
31st January 2006, 08:44 PM
I must be wrong about pootha malligai, probably i was confused with the similar lines that both songs have.

balaji
31st January 2006, 10:36 PM
No Mahesh, in many places I see the song 'pootha malligai kaathu nikkudhu' has been incorrectly attributed to 'Echil Iravugal".

Did Echil Iravugal had a solo that starts as "pootha..." sung by SJ? If so can u please advise more details

Bala

Ramki
1st February 2006, 07:10 AM
Pick #253

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/enna_avr.rm

Song: enna kada selai
Film: adhai vida ragasiyam
Singers: PSuseela, BSSasirekha
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music: Shankar Ganesh

This baila kind of song shows us the energetic, perky, fun voice of PSuseela, a total contrast to 'raama suguna' song we listened to last week.
The film must have released in mid 70s but PS voice was still young and fresh.
The song was picturised on fatafat and suma(?). Sivakumar and JaiGanesh were the male leads.
The popular song from AVR is 'sengarumbu thangakatti aelelenkuyile '(SJ, MV).

SN23
1st February 2006, 11:52 AM
Ramki, AVR's Year of release is 1978. Yendha kada(i) sEla(i) is a solo by PS, of course with Chorus. I do not hear BSS voice in this song. This is sung for Fatafat who criticises Suma wearing the new saree gifted by her lover Sivakumar. She acted in only one movie, I think; Resembles Jayashree??. PS laughs after the vishayam sollattumA... so sweet :-)

AVR has one more beautiful by PS starting with harE gOpAlA sri hari mAdhavA. Really excellent. This is also for Fatafat, singing to stop Jaiganesh, the villain, to ruin the life of Suma.

Thanks for this rare song.

Neel D
1st February 2006, 07:23 PM
Ramki,

Thanks for the rare song "endha kada selai". I have been looking for this song for years and years. It is such a happy tune that makes you feel good rightaway. PS totally enjoys singing it. The contrast in the line endings is really nice - sela vs mElE, ALa vs AlE.

I can't hear Sasirekha either. But the first charanam poNNu pArvaikku sounds like a different singer in the beginning and ends sounding like PS.

Naaz
1st February 2006, 09:50 PM
Ramki -

Vandhaa, Indha Kadaikku Dhaan Varum Indha Saela-nnu Enakku Nallaavae Theriyum! :D

This song was inescapable for a few months, from teashops to Nichchayaththaarththams! I watched Adhai Vida Ragasiyam in the infamous Lakshmi Talkies (Mootapoochchi Mahal!) of Amaindhakarai. If you know anything about this cinema, you would know that it is flanked by a line of shops going this ways and that ways, and the density of the area can overwhelm any time of day. When this song came on (in an adhai vida bore film!), there, at the bottom of the blotchy screen, superimposed as a slide and flashing in all the colours of a rainbow, was the ingenuity of a local merchant: "Vidai: Taj Green Dhaan!"

Thanks for airing this hidden sari. It still looks as good as new to me!

jn
1st February 2006, 10:25 PM
"endha kadai selai" paatu endha kaalaththule kEttadhu!!!!
Whenever I tried to recollect the lyrics, I could remember only 2 or 3 lines and that laughter of PS:)
indha padam paarththa baakkiyam(?) enakkum irukku:) enakku ninaivu varuvadhellaam jaiganesh oru painter. college fees kattradhukku fatafat or friend painting model aa pOvaanga.
jai ganesh will balck mail that lady later.

They used to play the first 2 lines of this song as advertisement for a saree shop in radio station. kadai peyar maRandhu vittadhu.
thanks ramki for this rare song.
Also thanks for the lava kusa songs.

jmahesh
1st February 2006, 11:22 PM
what i wanted to say about this song 'JN' has already told.
I have also seen this movie but dont remember anything of it.
I also remember this song's first 2 lines aired on radio for saree shop ad.edhu endru nyaabagam illai.
Bala, as far as pootha malligai is concerned I have not seen echhil iravugal.I thought that it was from this movie b'cos my friend gave me a copy of Janaki hits on Cd. & on this he had handwritten that Pootha malligai was from Echill Iravugal.
Regarding the song mohathai kondruvidu from ini oru sudanthiram ,one of my friends thought it was an Islamic devotional song, he heard ALLAAL as ALLAH !!!!

Ramki
2nd February 2006, 05:47 AM
Thank you everyone for your posts.

SN23 there are clearly 2 voices in the song. The first saranam is by a different singer and the cassette says BSSasirekha. It sounded like umaramanam to me

jmahesh that was hilarious ..allaal , allah :)

Ramki
2nd February 2006, 06:18 AM
Pick #254

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/neevaravillai_mt.rm

Song: nee varavillai
Film: mangaiyar thilagam
Singer: Madhavapeddi Satyam
Lyrics: maruthakasi
Music: SDakshinamurthy

For the past 2 days I'm trying to get rid of this song from my head but in vain. Yes , I have listened to the song previously but when last week i was digging for this weeks POW i found this gem and have been annoyingly humming it to myself.
Something about that voice. SO mesmerising ,soul piercing,so emotional.

The way he sings the lines:

aarudhal aLithidum annaiyin anbai
anaadhai naanum arivadhedhu

Its like a child's cry with an adult voice.

The voice has traces of ghantasala but its more refined and sophisticated.
When i searched for madhavapeddi i found the following link

http://www.idlebrain.com/celeb/bio-data/bio-madhavapeddi.html.

In 'Mangaiyar thilagam' a young looking Padmini played the aNNi character to Sivaji.Her pair was the character actor SVSubbaiyah
Looks like those days the stars were not scared of typecasting. Will Trisha or Asin play aNNi to vijay or ajit?(They might after few years but not when they are popular jodis).

MT also had my favorite favorite 'neela vaNNa kaNNa vaada' by Balasaraswathi.

Why dont they make such melodies anymore?

madhu
2nd February 2006, 07:02 AM
Hi Ramki..

thats a beautiful find...
Is there any other popular song by Sathyam in tamil films ?
I can remember one more song from this film "oru muraithan varum" by Jikki with the "da da da da" in proper place :P

rajraj
2nd February 2006, 10:36 AM
Pick #254

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/neevaravillai_mt.rm

Why dont they make such melodies anymore?

Ramki: Great song! You must like the ragam kaanadaa ? :)

SN23
2nd February 2006, 04:30 PM
Ramki, I saw the movie the Mangayar Thilakam. Putham Pudhia Kaapi with excellent clarity. Padmini's hair style helped her to show her matured status. MN Rajam acted as Sivaji's Jodi (indigestable pair of TFilms).

There is a song sung by Master Sivaji after (or before) he "poNNu paarthu" for his elder brother Subbaiah. Some lady singer voice, but unable to recollect the lyrics. Super song. That master actor danced very well :-)

Another one is Padmini sings in a leisurely mood "Bhagyavathi naan Bhagyavathi naan paarinilE maha Bhagyavathi naan" (sung by Bhagavathy, I guess). Another classic number.

This POW sounds pathos, Sivaji standing beind ailing Padmini and sings with tears rolling like river on his cheeks :-( Whether Sivaji forced him to act in line with Satyam's sad voice? One will come out of the theatre with Niraindha kaN :-(

Subbaiah + Padmini paired in one more movie, if I am correct (KaN Kanda Deivam directed by KSG, later re-made as Padikkadha PaNNayaar).

How many times we are going to thank you Ramki. But it is deserved.. nandri pala kOdi :-)

vel1970
2nd February 2006, 10:23 PM
SN23:- I also listened to Adaivida ragasiyam song. There are 3 stanzas. As Ramki confirmed, BSS also sang in this song.

1st stanza 'ponnu paarvaikku' is by Sasireka
2nd stanza 'mangai pangajam' is by PS
3rd stanza 'pengal velaikku pogindra' is also by PS

whereas the laughter and that 'kanachana ranjana...' all such recitals are also by PS

The final ending PS alone singing enda kada sele is very pleasing.

but major misu point is that unsync chorus.

jn
2nd February 2006, 10:47 PM
Ramki: another azhugaachi song:) Makes me a sowkar, vijayakumari or KRV after listening to it:)
Even though I have watched a puththam pudhu copy of this film, I don't remember the story.
The song the kid sings after seeing pathmini is "kaNdu konden naan kandu konden", I think.
Another song will have "mangaiyar thilagam" repeated at the end of each line. May have been a title song or at the later days of pathmini.

jmahesh
2nd February 2006, 11:57 PM
nalla soha paatu.I have not heard it before.His voice is similar to ghantasala's.
Ramki, the song reminds me of some other song which sounds similar to this.
Is it 'kanavu kanda kaadhal' or is it my imagination?
Thanks for the song

Ramki
3rd February 2006, 07:15 AM
Madhu i m not aware of his other tamil songs. Did he sing in mayabazaar?

Raj thanks for the raaga detail. What were the other POW songs in this raaga?

Ramki
3rd February 2006, 07:30 AM
Pick #255

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/poo_rp.rm

Song: poo manakkum poonkuzhali
Film: Ratha paasam
Singers: SPB, BSSasirekha(?)
Lyrics:kaNNadasan
Music: MSViswanathan

This melodious duet is worth a listen and more. SPB sings Kavignars uvamais with his usual charm.

'rathapasam' had sivaji, jaichitra etc. I think it was the first tamil film to be picturised in Italy and Spain. Was the film a hit ? No clue. But it had good songs
'en uLLam engindra vaanathile', (TMS,PS)
'maan kutti ippodhu en veetile',(TMS)
'aasai theera pesavendum'(SPB,SJ)

rajraj
3rd February 2006, 07:43 AM
Raj thanks for the raaga detail. What were the other POW songs in this raaga?

I will have to listen to a few songs at a time to identify the raagaas!
Will try. :)

SN23
3rd February 2006, 12:15 PM
Ramki Ayya, after reading Vel's post, I again listened to Endha kada sElai song. Yes, the first charaNam is sung by BSS only (without laughter like PS's). Sometime back I read from an old Vikadan mag that BSS voice was almost resembling PS in "Welcome hero" song. In fact, in this song, making out the difference is very difficult than that in "Welcome Hero" song.

I do not think anyone other than you would know that EKSela was sung by BSS with PS :-) Mani Sir TFMPage-in pithAmagan endrAl, neer oru encyclopedia of TFMPage.com Hats-off to you.

Once I read Rathapasam intro, I immediately recollected my singing on stage in Anna University "Maan kutti" song. Came out very well but did not get due recog since it was an old song (according to the panel.. hmmm).

RP was released in 1980, I think, under Sivaji Productions. Sivaji with Sripriya, Jaiganesh with Pramila and Jaichitra (rendu gundu jodi). Out of all, Pramila performed well in the negative role kidnapping her own son from the separated husband JG.

My pick from RP is the song Sivaji singing with Foster sister Jaichitra. En uLLam engindra vAnathile (TMS & PS).

Heard that in those time, sequence of actress'names in title-card was a big head-ache. Immediate example is Sowcar-JJ tug-of-war in OLi viLakku. The same happened here in RP as well as ILamai oonjalAdugiradhu. It seems Sripriya demanded her name to be shown ahead of JC as she was the 1st heroine (of course JC was getting shaded away in the market). But in RP, it was decided to show JC's name first, whereas Sridhar managed to show both their names in one single card in Ilamai OO... Right-Top-Corner JC and Left-Bottom-Corner SP (Periya kaNdu pidippu :-))

Ramki, neenga innoru duet-ai miss paNNitteenga. Sivaji and Sripriya (SPB + LRE) singing in the streets of Rome "rOtta kaNdaa Kudiraikku Asa(i)". MSV, never worried to use the voice of LRE even after it was torn like poonai piraandiya plattu :-)

Is POW for Sivaji + Sripriya ??? Nice singing by SPB.

yvsmani
3rd February 2006, 01:15 PM
thanks for the forgotten POW. I hope other songs from raththa paasam will be available very soon. pattu kettaal thavira onnumae gyabagam vara mattenguthu. Good showing by SPB as usual.

Naaz
3rd February 2006, 11:13 PM
Ramki -

A fine example of MSV and his matchless sense of melody. Thanks for featuring this forgotten and yet fresh as ever solo. I like the MSV-SPB chemistry in such solos (Raagangal Pathinaaru comes to mind) where SPBs mellowness melds seamlessly with the tabla and the song seems to undulate. My only gripe in this moment of grace is SPBs work on the word Devathai, an excess that could have been easily curtailed.

jn
4th February 2006, 04:18 AM
I think this song is for sripriya.
maRandhu pOna nalla songs ellaam remind paNRe ramki:) Thanks once again. SPB voice pathi sollanumaa enna?

madhu
5th February 2006, 06:36 AM
Hi..

JN : ") of course, Sripriya in white dance dress ( ayyo ayyo ) in some foreign Mall.. and Shivaji with double over coat.. ( ayyayyo)..

But the song is a very nice one..

The picturisation of the other songs "mankutti" and "en uLLam" or sagikkable..

Ramki
6th February 2006, 04:57 AM
Thank you all for your kind words :notworthy:

Ramki
6th February 2006, 05:13 AM
Pick #256

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/aenda_vop.rm

Song:aenda raja enne vendum
Film: veetukoru piLLai
Singer: Sjanaki

She was the most underutilized singer of 60s. In spite of having a wonderful track of rendering excellent songs, the MD's were hesitant to give her more . Few directors like Sridhar insisted on giving her atleast one song in his films. No one would have known that time that she would be a force to reckon with in very near future.
You all know who the singer is. SJanaki.
This week POW will showcase some of her rare solos in MSV's music.
'veetukoru piLLai' has Jaishankar and UshaNandini. I'm not sure how the film fared at B.O, but the songs were sure hits.
The melodious duet 'keLvi ketkum neramalla'(SJ,SPB), 'indru mudhal selvamidhu'(SPB,BSVasantha) were often requested and listened to.
Todays song was not a popular one but a good one. SJanakis sweet voice adds a beautiful charm.

The scene was real fun(pun intended). I sometimes wonder how Usha Nandhini became a heroine and that too with top actors. She neither had the looks nor the talent. But i know why she was chosen for 'veetukoru piLLai'. Muscle power. Pure strong muscle power.
I'm not kidding. For half the duration of the song she will carry the heavyweight Jaishankar on her back and prance around.
which other heroine(KRV maybe? :lol: could have done that?

rajraj
6th February 2006, 06:54 AM
Nice song! I would have liked it better with Rajeswari singing ! :)

madhu
6th February 2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Ramki..

muscle power.. indeed.. ! :lol: :lol:
yeah.. even her physique is more masculine..
and I never saw her dance gracefully in any of her songs..

one more song by TMS .. "nan potta puLLi". Whenever they announce the film name in Vivid Bharathi.. I used to think about the other two songs.. but usually they broadcast this TMS one.. ( adhuvum ungaL viruppathil !! :P ) thats why I am unable to forget this song..

waiting for some more special songs of MSV/SJ combination..

SN23
6th February 2006, 10:56 AM
//Muscle power. Pure strong muscle power.// May be you can say azhagiya rakshasi :rotfl:

UNandini was one among of fond-of-list of Sivaji :lol:

I watched this song seq in one of the Jaishankar's CD. In fact it starts with Jai reaches UN's house running, as someone chases him. She shuts the door and drafts a drama very soon (romba pudhisAli); starts singing this song after resting Jai in a BadA ThooLi. The villain group searches the house but not able to find Jai inside. AppappO Jai thalaiya veLiya kAttuvAr, UN Jai-ai uLLe thaLLum.... Sema bedhdha poo over the ears :rotfl:

KalayaNamAna kanni poNNe sollammA is part of nAn pOtta puLLI, correct? TMS sings beautifully this song. Worth listening :-)

Ever best MSV-SJ combination is Thookam un kaNgaLai thazhuvattumE... Ungal listla idhu irukkA?

jn
6th February 2006, 11:41 PM
enakku andhak kaalaththile indha song first 4 lines mattum theriyum.. adhu oru paappaakkaaga paadraanga nu ninaichirundhen.. jai shankar ka? ayyo:)))

Ramki
7th February 2006, 06:39 AM
raj,
Do you know what it is the raaga of this song?

Madhu
I never listened to 'naan potta puLLi'(Im luck i guess :))

SN23

// In fact it starts with Jai reaches UN's house running, as someone chases him. ?

Are you sure? This is what i remember. Jai sneaks into UN's room and she freaks out. Hearing the commotion , her grandmom asks whats the matter and she replies that she is baby sitting her neighbor's kid and starts singing. In the middle of the song her muraimaaman(Nagesh i think) joins her grandma and enjoys the song from outside. As the song ends the neighbor walks in with the kid UN is supposedly watching :)

I'm planning to host some rare solos. 'Thookam en kaNgaLai' is a popular number :)

JN :)

Ramki
7th February 2006, 06:46 AM
Pick #257

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/ponunjal_tp.rm

Song:ponunjal katti vaithu
Film: Thaai Piranthaal
Lyrics:alangudi somu

Thanks to NeelD for the song. He writes:

This solo by S.Janaki is from the same film Thaai Piranthaal which had
two solos by P.Bhanumathi that were presented few weeks ago. This
lovely song, a typical soothing MSV composition, sung before the
mukkal-munagal era has the innocence in S.Janaki's voice still intact.
In my opinion, S.Janaki delivered the songs with importance to
composition in the pre-IR times. In the later part of her career there
was too much importance to expression, at the cost of everything else.
"ponnUnjal katti vaiththu" is rare, lovely and let us enjoy the chaste
rendition.

RR
7th February 2006, 08:36 AM
Ramki,

'aenda raja' I think is Ananda Bairavi.

'ponoonjal katti' is a beautiful melody..! I see shades of Hamir Kalyani, but there are other ragas too.

SN23
7th February 2006, 10:12 AM
Ramki, I am lost totally. Then, in which movie the scene that I narrarated exist? en mana vaanilaa? Hayyo :banghead:

Thookkam un kangaLai is popular, I agree. But whenever aalayamaNi song is aired, often one of TMS's 3 songs will aired. So, though I cannot enter into your decision territory, konjan inaam kEtkalaam illaya. Kadaisiyil, Thookkam song host paNNungaL :-)

After reading your as usual nayyandi "mukkal-munagal era...", I recollect reading a Arasu kELvi-Bhadil (Kumudam). The Q was "Who is better 'mukkal-munagal specialist' Janaki OR 'mookil paadum' Chitra?". Arasu's reply was "Mukkal munagalil Janaki-ai ellam thooki saapidum LR Eswari irukkiraar. Mookkil padubavar yaar endru sonnaal avarukku kobam vadu muruga muruga endru solla arambippaar". Idhan full meaning Arasukku thaan veLichcham :-)

Above all, SJ's POW is really melodious. Worth noding the head with closed eyes :-)

csramasami
7th February 2006, 10:28 AM
Ramki :

Having started Janaki's rare gems, I request you to find and host the song "Sollaamal Theriya Vendume, Sollavum Thanimai Vendume" from film "Vilyaattu Pillai", a Sivaji, Kaanchana (?) starrer (early 70's). "Old" pople here can recognise the song and film, I hope. :lol:

CSR

SN23
7th February 2006, 10:56 AM
CSR, enakku avlO vayasu aaga villai. Irundhalum, I guess the music was scored by KVM for ViLayattu PiLLai, who gave good songs to SJ pre-IR era. The song is for Kaanchana as you said, though the main heroine is Padmini. Sivaji would enter the room of Kanchana and shocked to see her coming out from bathroom. She would welcome Sivaji "vaarungaL Muththaian varungaL". This piece I remember as I watched it a moving bus long back.

yvsmani
7th February 2006, 11:53 AM
IR - SJ combination-i vida Pre IR -SJ combinations ellamae best agha thaan irukku. Neel D correct agha thaan solli irukkaar ena ninaikka thoandrugirathu.
Hope to get more SJ songs from pre IR era, Ramki. thanks

vel1970
7th February 2006, 10:52 PM
ramki, ponnoojanl katti vaithu is like a soft paruthi cloth. Very nice. never heard so far.

Namma kuzhandaigal song and Kanni pen song are very good with MSV and SJ. But one thing, please do not continuously host SJ songs. Kadhu repair aagidum. Just kidding :-)

Your sense of humor is really great ramki. i like that.

vel1970
7th February 2006, 10:56 PM
Enda raaja song is almost accompanied with mosing instrument. did you notice that. Very nice effect. MSV expert knows that strength.

Ramki
8th February 2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks RR

csr I do not have that song with. Will host it, if i can find it.

Ramki
8th February 2006, 07:45 AM
Pick #258

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/angadha_nm.rm

Song:angadha naatil
Film: neela malargaL

More than 10 female singers have given voice for Sridevi(in tamil) but only SJanaki's voice fit hers like a glove. It started with senthoorapoove and continued till 'Hare raama hare krishna' songs.

Todays pick is another one of those perfect fit songs. You can almost visualise sridevi singing it. I love the way SJ sings the 'thananana raajakumari'.
'neela malargaL' a tamil remake of 'anuraag' had 4 good songs by MSV.
'maadham oru poo malarum' (already featured in POW)
'idhu irava pagalaa'
'pesum mani muthu' and todays pick.

Regarding Pre and Post IR sj songs : I personally think if not for IR we would never have witnessed the great talents SJ had. Her versitality was best exposed in IR songs. I cannot imagine anyone else singing songs like 'azhagiya kaNNe' ,'kaatril endhan geetham' 'kaNden engum' etc. Her voice became younger as she became older. If not for IR, SJ might have faded away from TFM like other singers of her age(JM,jikki, PLeela etc)

Ramki
8th February 2006, 07:49 AM
Anyone want to guess the next selection?

Clue: Another sridevi song. Her pair was
Rajkumar(Lathas brother) :idea:

SN23
8th February 2006, 08:47 AM
Deiva thirumaNangaL? Stories of 3 deities Meenakshi (Latha + ???), Sreenivasar (Ravikumar + Sripriya) and Murugan-VaLLi (Rajkumar+Sridevi). I remember only this movie acted by these 2 as pair. But the music for Murugan-VaLLi thirumaNam is by GKV (not MSV)? Enna kuzhappareenga ???

madhu
8th February 2006, 06:37 PM
HI..

SN23 , it may be "vethala kiLiye solladhe veLiye".. there are 3 MDs for this film..
is MSV for Srinivasa kalyanam ?

rajeshkrv
8th February 2006, 11:01 PM
thanks for SJ songs

But i disgree that only SJ's voice as best fit for Sridevi

Ramki
9th February 2006, 06:39 AM
Oh oh I'm doomed :( :). I was under the wrong assumption that MSV was the MD(only) for 'deiva thirumanangaL' ..sigh. Anyways i will host 'vethala kiLiye' later and will continue with MSV-SJ series.

Thanks SN23 and Madhu for the correction

Ramki
9th February 2006, 06:50 AM
Pick #259

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/varuvaan_pu.rm

Song:varuvaan mohanaruban
Film: poNunjal

What are the odds of featuring 2 Usha Nandini's songs in a single week?(I'm assuming that the song is for UN) :). This must be her week. How many tamil films she did? I can count 4. Any more?

My earliest memory of TFM is 'aagaya pandhalile'. The song always rekindles balya vayadhu memories in me. It is also my eldest sister's favorite song(I recently discovered that this song has a 3rd saranam ).
'nalla kaariyam seekiram' later became another favorite song of mine.
I discovered todays pick only recently. I instantly caught on to the song . The music and the voice is so pleasantfully melodious.
(The song always reminds me of MSV 80's song 'ezhudhugiraaL oru pudhu kavidhai')

RR
9th February 2006, 08:09 AM
This pick is one of my favorites too. The twists & turns right in the pallavi is lovely. The counterpoint (though simple) at the start of first interlude also caught my attention.

This song is so similar to 'kaatrukkenna veli', don't you think?

rajraj
9th February 2006, 08:28 AM
POW song list.

I am in the process of editing the subject lines so that a sort routine will pick up the song titles and movies in alphabetic order.
Now, you will get whatever is in the subject line ! :)
You can try:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=1016

This link is also in the very first post by Ramki.

Ramki: Hereafter, please do not add the serial number in the subject line. Thanks.

SN23
9th February 2006, 10:02 AM
Ramki, as madhu said, music for 'Srinivas kalyanam' of Deiva ThirumanangaL was scored by MSV. Meenakshi kalyanam's music was by KVM and VaLLi ThirumaNam by GKV. In my taste and opinion, MSV's was outstanding and all his 3 songs are great. Esp, "Mannavan thannaiye marakka", a slow expressive virutham kinda song by PS (for Sripriya) is excellent.

Somehow I also fall in line with you on SJ-Sridevi chemistry. I remember watching the film EngaL Kula Deivam (Muthuraman, KRV, Jaichitra). Sridevi acted as Kutti Jaichitra, daughter of Paambaatti. Her friend is Karuppan, a kutty paambu. SD runs and Karuppan thurathufying scene, I will never forget. SD screams "karuppa varadhadaa karuppa thorathathadaa" with laughters in between. That screachy screaming and laughters are as good as if SJ had dubbed for her. Such a match. But when SD became heroine, many had sung for her. Any idea whether LRE had sung for her????

Ramki, I am sure that you have a soft corner for mozhu mozhu actress from United Nations. Good to hear the unheard solo of SJ. She sings with lots of twists and turns like a snake, but something is missing. I feel she does not complete some words (hope my hearing is fine so far :-)).

Anyways, thanks Ramki.

tvsankar
9th February 2006, 12:24 PM
Dear Ramki,
1.Angadha natil

2.Varuvan mohana rupan - irandum enna ragam? nice tunes!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

VasumathiRenga
9th February 2006, 09:08 PM
Hello to All... I am New to the new forum. hope I will share what I know about old movies.

Ponnonjal and SonthangaL vazha (Jaishankar and Jayachithra) have the same story lines and released one after another. It was a tale around two family heads having rivalry in between but the siblings get attracted to each other; patiently waiting for their lead people to make then united. This story, later, had been repeated in many many movies by different makers. Cursed the viewers, shelling out bucks to make the creators rich without any good returns :)

MSV's score in music was at peak for a very long time in 60s and 70s. Both duets of TMS+PS were super hits shadowing this POW wherein Ushanandini imagining Sivaji as Lord Krishna and singing this song. Andha kaalaththu PLeela's Kaathirppan kamala kaNNan-kku equivalent??

One good thing... Failure of the movie (released in Plaza theatre) did not force the music lovers to shut their ears to the good work of MSV & his vocal team.

Ponnonjal... urasi paarthaal pithalaioonjal :-)

Ramki
10th February 2006, 05:11 AM
RR the pallavi reminds me 'neeraadum kangaL enge' and 'thennaiyin keetru vizhavillaiyendraal' line(from sandhosha kaaNadha).

Thanks Raj :)

SN23[/color]](hope my hearing is fine so far :-)).

Are you sure?:) Maybe its time for a recheck

Usha. en kitte poi raagam ellaam kekkareengaLe? No idea. RR or raj might know

VasumathiRenga Welcome to tfmpage. Thank you for the details

Ramki
10th February 2006, 05:17 AM
Pick #259

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/thookam_am.rm

Song:thookam un kaNgaLai
Film: aalayamani
Music: Viswanathan - Ramamurthy

A Classic. What else should i say about this popularand beautiful gem?. The only sore point of this song: It always reminds all the unnecessary over the top expressions by Vijayakumari.

I'm sure SN23 will add more details.:)

Over to SN23:)

RC
10th February 2006, 09:17 AM
Usha. en kitte poi raagam ellaam kekkareengaLe? No idea. RR or raj might know

Ramki: namma chinna baagavadhar FM-ai marandhuteengaLE :)

SN23
10th February 2006, 10:35 AM
Ramki Anna, Many thanks for hosting this gem. Also thanks for believing me that I can share something. But the fact remains that you and many others are here with Doctorates in TFM :-)

It is very special for every artist involved in this song. If Best Female Singer award was institutionalized in early 60's, SJ would have easily snatched it. MaNimagudam on SJ's head. Her voice and singing with apt emotions (very very apt.... not overdoing at all) made elevated this as one of her top 5 best songs.

As you said, Vijayakumari has acted as if she was acting for a pathos song. May be with aanandha kaNNeer. Luckily SSR sleeps in that song :lol:

SJ's voice was a perfect match for VK also. Besides PKM songs, the one from Padha kaNikkai (Poojaikku vandha malarE vaa), aha thEninum inimai.

Every time Aalayamani song is aired, that Satti suttadhadaa will be, mostly. Enakku kaduppu vandhu and yell "suttaa yenda thodareenga" (NOM to anyone).

In the stormy days of MGR and Sivaji, our Kadhal mannan Gemini used to be a thendral. May be SJ's voice was a Zephyr in the Brawny rule of PS and a few others in 60s & 70s.

Kodi nandrigaL for hosting SJ songs this week. That too from the gana-surabhi of MSV. Hats-off to you, Ramki :-)

rajeshkrv
10th February 2006, 12:07 PM
A good song but definitely there is something missing as a whole dont know what but definitely there is a miss.

tvsankar
10th February 2006, 06:47 PM
Dear Ramki,
Neenga sonna madhiri ivargalidam ketkiren.

Dear RR,Raj and FM,
Do you know the ragams for these two songs?

1. Angadhan naatil - ?

2. Varuvan mohana rupan - ?

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

jn
10th February 2006, 09:25 PM
ramki,
good choices:) angadha naatil paatu kEttu romba varushamaachi.
un list le:
veeNai meettum kaigaLE
ninaivu pOdhum neeNda naatkaL vaazhuvEn
udhayam varuginRadhe...for sridhevi
idhellaam irukkaa? only MSV and SJ combo thaan pOda pORiyaa?

tvsankar
10th February 2006, 11:49 PM
Dear Ramki,
IR music il Sj iruka? Irundhal,

Film : Poothadha pootukal

song : Vanna vanna vanna poondhotamae

Poda mudiyuma?

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ramki
11th February 2006, 07:05 AM
RC kareet..thanks for reminding :)

SN23 thank you. idhaithaan edhirparthen :)

JN and ushashankar next one week no SJ songs:)

IR-SJ songs podum podhu kaNdippa neenga request panna songs podren

RC
11th February 2006, 07:33 AM
SN23: Can you list your top 20 SJ songs? Being an ardent SJ fan, I would like to see the list of songs you come up with :)

Ramki: varuvaan mOhanroopan is a rare find. I sort of remember hearing this song looong time ago. Thanks for this.
Thookam un kaNgaLai ethana dharam kettaalum kandippa thookam varum... excellent singing by SJ.

vel1970
11th February 2006, 08:56 AM
Beautiful song. Very pleasant. Kaadodu dhan naan pesuven and this song needs that low pitched but singing with beauty. Both singers SJ & LREE did justics to their songs.
RC, adhu enna paara patcham? Even myself can come out with top 10 songs of SJ, though I am not a great fan of SJ. Chumma kindaling :-)
Ramki, ungalukku romba porumai jasthinnu nenaikkiren. Next week-ku ippave prepare pannanum. Yaar special? Happy week-end :-)

Ramki
13th February 2006, 04:32 AM
vel1970 Indha vaaram no special combos. Random selectionthaan:)

Ramki
13th February 2006, 05:29 AM
Pick #260

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/maalai_aop.rm

Song:maalai iLamanadhil
Film: avaL oru pachai kuzhandhai
Singers: SNSurendar, Shobha Chandrasekhar
Lyrics: kaNNadasan ?
Music: iLaiyaraja

SAchandrasekhar made his directorial debut with AOP and pronto his wife and bil got a chance to sing this beautiful debut.
This may be their first song together but definitely not their first song. shobha sang 'oru maharaja oru maharani' with TMS in 'iru malargaL' and SNS was one of the child singers in 'varavu ettana'(baama vijayam).I think they have sung few other songs as child singers.
Shobha C never got a chance to sing 'outside' films. Late 90s she sang some memorable numbers like 'thottabatta road mele mutta barotta' ,'urmiLa urmiLa' etc :)
When i was visiting India in 2004, i saw her doing a solo karnatic kacheri in SUNtv. it was just painful to watch. I heard she is now doing her saba rounds. God save music :).

Todays pick is noteworthy just for the outstanding interludes by IR.

Who acted in AOP? By any chance was it sivakumar and Sumithra?
What are the othe songs in AOP?

SN23
13th February 2006, 10:49 AM
Ramki, neenga neraiya cheese uLLa thaLLuveengaLaa? I could not control my laughter while I read "When i was visiting .... I heard she is now doing her saba rounds. God save music" :lol:

If my memory is good, AOP lead pair was Vijayakumar and Bhavani. B acted as 2nd wife of Sivakumar in BadrakaaLi. She acted in MGR Movies like Uzhaikkum karangaL (good role)and Navarathnam.

AOP had enough intimate and palaana scenes between VK and B, as I heard. VK dies very early in the movie and how the deserted heroine overcome the pain of loneliness was the great story written by SAC.

Shobha sang in Nalla pErai vaanga vendum piLLaigaLE (TMS, Anjali, Shobha) and NaaLai namadhE also (PS, Anjali, Shobha). Also Appa muththam thandhaar amma pakkam vandhaar (TMS, PS and Shobha; film: ????).

SNS singing did not yield him huge results than his dubbing for Mohan, Vijayakanth and many 80s heros. There is some unqueness in his voice, which was well received/utilised by lead actors.

POW is really a different one. Would have been a great hit if was sung by IR's fav singers SPB + SJ. TIMHO :-)

Neel D
13th February 2006, 07:11 PM
Ramki,

Thanks for featuring "pon Unjal katti vaiththu" last week. And for the other songs too.

Long time since I heard "mAlai iLam manathil". It is a lovely song. The score has a V.Kumar flavor. It was a hit when it came out. But did not sustain it very long. Thanks for bringing it back.

rajraj
13th February 2006, 09:35 PM
You now have a POW song list. Click on the link below to see the list. Try your favourite song and let us know if you have any problems with the audio. Also, let us know if your favourite is missing ! :)
Please note that the list pertains to the songs posted in this thread and not what is in the archives.

POW Song List (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=1016)

This link is also in the very first post by Ramki

jmahesh
13th February 2006, 11:44 PM
remember hearing this song in radio decades back.those days when tape recorder was new I used to record songs as they aired in radio on to tapes.It wont be of great quality.But still I have some of these songs in casettes in an old cupboard at home.Thanks for the song Ramki.Idhu ilayraja musicunnu neenga solithaan theriyum

baroque
14th February 2006, 02:03 AM
Nice leisurely song from Shri.Ilayaraaja! Thanks, Ramki!

Ramki
14th February 2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and other details

Ramki
14th February 2006, 05:18 AM
Pick #261

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/thiruvizha_ni.rm

Song:thiruvizha thiruvizha iLamaiyin thalaimaiyil
Film: naam iruvar
Singers: Jayachandran, BSSasirekha
Lyrics: vaali
Music:Gangai Amaran

Before Aarumuga saamis and aarus, one of our superhero did the role of liquor guzzling, beedi puffing, tough talking dada. It was so difficult to watch audience promptly rejected the film and the role.
The super hero is nadigar thilagam and the film is 'naam iruvar'.

I wasted 1.5 hours of my life watching this film. I watched it just for the song and promptly stopped my video tape after the song:).

Definitely one of the worst film by nadigar thilagam(and the one i mukkal watched :)
The film also had Prabhu(teacher/inspector role), srividya,urvasi etc.

This lovely song,with nice lyrics by vaali, was the only likeable aspect of the film. It had the rare combo of JC and BSS. Have they sung any other song together?.

rajraj
14th February 2006, 10:17 AM
Ramki and others: Here are the links for all threads( current and archived).

POW song list (this thread):

Songs in this thread (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=1016)

POW song list (archives):

Older picks (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2535)

Dec04-Jan05 (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2536)

Feb05 (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/lyrsort.php?t=2537)

yvsmani
14th February 2006, 10:41 AM
thanks for featuring this famous song, ramki. ( Music GA ?? ...... as usual IR endru thaan ninaiththen.) BSS-n thiruvizha thiruvizha endra uchcharippil oru konjal iruppathu pol irukkum. PJ as usual, no need to describe. The film is remembered only for this song, I feel.

SN23
14th February 2006, 01:26 PM
Ramki, I thought Ramayan serial Deepika acted in this movie?? Or is it NaangaL ??

Thiruvizha song has some similariries of Kalidasan kannadasan song. May be the effect of chorus makes me to think it so.

Good song for BSS.

jmahesh
14th February 2006, 01:28 PM
Naam Iruvar was produced by AVM I think, probably one of their worst flops.Many Sivaji, Prabhu combination movies released at that time were damp squibs at the BO except a select few .
this is the only song i remember from the movie. Thanks.

jmahesh
14th February 2006, 02:10 PM
Ramki , do you have the song ' azhage thamizhae ' or is it amudhae thamizhae azhagiya mozhiyae from koil pura.Mudindhaal host pannungal

madhu
14th February 2006, 06:56 PM
Shobha sang in Nalla pErai vaanga vendum piLLaigaLE (TMS, Anjali, Shobha) and NaaLai namadhE also (PS, Anjali, Shobha). Also Appa muththam thandhaar amma pakkam vandhaar (TMS, PS and Shobha; film: ????).

appa pakkam vandhar is from "edhirigaL jakkiradhai"
you can hear the voices of shoba and surendar in "alayam enbadhu veedagum" from thamarai nenjam also..

ennvo pongo !! :P

From Mars
14th February 2006, 10:15 PM
Ramki, I thought Ramayan serial Deepika acted in this movie?? Or is it NaangaL ??

It was naangaL.

There is one more good song, but I can't recollect it.
I thought that IR scored music for this one and 'chinna thambi periya thambi'. mmm But some IR worshippers may say that IR should have helped GA to score music :roll:

Ramki
15th February 2006, 04:28 AM
SN23/FM

The film with Deepika is naangaL and the good song is 'paarthadhenne un paarvai ennai vaatudhe'(SPB,ksc - song long due in POW).

Mani because of the similar orchestration style many good GA songs were thought as IR songs.

Mahesh i have that song. Will soon host it in POW

Ramki
15th February 2006, 04:40 AM
Pick #262

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/pudhu_rt.rm

Song:pudhu manjaL meni chittu
Film: Rudhrathandavam
Singers: SPB,VaniJairam
Lyrics: vaali ?
Music:MSViswanathan

KB's ground breaking, record breaking 'marocharithra' had excellent songs by MM MSVgaaru. The popular and my favorite song is 'aetheega poovunu'.
MSV slightly changed the interludes,increased the tempo ,changed the saranam arrangement and phat 'pudhu manjaL' was born.

(Listen to Marocharitra songs here:
http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/movie/A0000032.html)

I vaguely remember reading that VKR produced(and directed?) Rudhrathandavam and went bankrupt after the colossal failure.
I think the song was picturised on Sumitra and Vijayakumar(Or jaiganesh?). I also rememeber seeing 'RT" posters with VKR in sivaroobam.
(I hope my memory is correct this time :) ).
Any other good song from RT?

RC
15th February 2006, 05:45 AM
I have watched the movie as a kid. Almost all of the movie is a dream (by VKR?). VKR as Lord Shiva in the climax performs rudhrathandavam and the universe is destroyed which is when he wakes up with a change of mind and accepts Sumithra & Vijayakumar's love, I think.

I dont remember any song other than this.

madhu
15th February 2006, 07:01 AM
Hi !

who acted as the poojari ( priest ) in "Rudhra thaNdavam" ? any idea ? Of course, I vaguely remember one more TMS song.. but I am unable to recollect.. let me come back again with it later !!

rajeshkrv
15th February 2006, 08:48 AM
madhu,

nagesh performed the role of pujari

Telugu version of thookam un kangalai was also sung by SJ
listen and enjoy

music was by ghantasala

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/ifm/neekanudoyine.rm

SN23
15th February 2006, 12:24 PM
Ramki, RT pair is Vijayakumar and Sumitra. The TMS song is "nee mannvanA chinnvanA solli vidum pirappu". As usual thathuva pAdal.

The advertisement shows VKR in Nataraja pose :lol:

About Yeetheega poovunu song. It was the first duet song for Kamalahasan though his lines are of short dialouges (, yei nee romba azhaga irukka; nee nalla poNNu etc). It was with PS.

balaji
15th February 2006, 03:57 PM
Ramki Sir

Thanks for the 'Pudhu Manjal" song. If my memory serves right Rudhra Thandavam was released a year (1978) before Maro (1979!). The "pudhu" song came first. When I first heard the mega-hit MARO song, it sounded so familar to me and hence started scratching my peanut sized brain and one day when going to school got the revelation of the Pudhu manjal as the song was long dropped from playing in the Radio ..

MSV deftly reused the tune for the Telugu Songs.

However I can hardly questions Jambawans like you!

Thanks for all your effort. Seems my request for the Nangal song would soon be hosted. Can't wait to hear that beautiful number.

Bala

yvsmani
15th February 2006, 05:36 PM
another good / forgotten song. thanks

From Mars
15th February 2006, 10:04 PM
SN23/FM

The film with Deepika is naangaL and the good song is 'paarthadhenne un paarvai ennai vaatudhe'(SPB,ksc - song long due in POW).

Ramki, I meant 'Naam Iruvar' movie. I have watched this movie (ofcourse long time ago), there was one more good song. I can't recollect it at this point.

There is one more good song in 'NaangaL' sung by SL. 'paaradi kuyilE paasa malarkaLai'

I'm trying to recollect some of the movie/songs, since 'jamphavans' are here, I'll post query here.

kaathOda pOgum karai thEdum Odam (Mano) (movie name ??)
poovai pOl vaazhavO punnagai vazhangavO (SPB) (movie name ??)

There is one lovely song in 'ivaL oru pudhu yugam' (*ing Jeyachitra, Raguvaran) sung by SPB. Can anyone recollect that song? It's been about 20 years since I heard them :)

balaji
15th February 2006, 11:09 PM
kaathOda pOgum karai thEdum Odam (Mano) (movie name ??) ==> I googled. Ramki says it is from Marudhupandi

Bala

From Mars
15th February 2006, 11:43 PM
kaathOda pOgum karai thEdum Odam (Mano) (movie name ??) ==> I googled. Ramki says it is from Marudhupandi

Bala

Balaji,

Nop. I checked the maruthu paaNdi CD, it's not there. Plus the music doesn't sound like by IR. It could be CB.

rajeshkrv
16th February 2006, 08:24 AM
marudhu pandi music is by IR

the famous adhamum evalum pole by Arunmozhi & SJ is from the same film

RC
16th February 2006, 08:41 AM
FM: raj is right.. Marudhupandi produced by Tirunavukkarasu had Ramki & Seetha in the lead with Nirosha playing Ramki's love interest. IR was the MD.

SN23
16th February 2006, 09:58 AM
FM, Ival oru pudhuyuham (Dubbed from Telugu) had Jaichitra with Dr.Rajasekar. Music V.Kumar and I remember one song kELAi vidukadhai padhilai chollu (SPB, PS with K.Swarna).

Ramki, inikki menu enna? :-)

RC
16th February 2006, 08:51 PM
SN23: inikku fasting pOla.. :)

From Mars
16th February 2006, 11:05 PM
Did I say Maruthu paaNdi is not by IR :)
ocourse it is by IR. What I meant about the song, It's not from Maruthu paaNdi. It's from something else. :)

Thanks SN23.

Ramki
17th February 2006, 05:03 AM
Ramki Sir

Thanks for the 'Pudhu Manjal" song. If my memory serves right Rudhra Thandavam was released a year (1978) before Maro (1979!). The "pudhu" song came first.

Bala that is totally possible. I came across 'pudhu manjaL' only in late 80s and might have assumed it came after 'aedheega poovunu'

Ramki
17th February 2006, 05:28 AM
Pick #263

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/anandham_mm.rm

Song:aanandham aanandham
Film: Murai maaman
Singers: Sujatha, UnniKrishnan
Music: Vidyasagar

Unnikrishnan 'was' the new voice of early 90s, in both sabhas and films. After the mighty success of 'ennavaLe' he was singing under almost every MD. But for past couple of years his film career has come to almost a complete stop. What was last hit?' kaalaiyil dhinamum' ?
In case of kucheris his bandhas has gone up and quality in the opposite. When he was here last april for thyagaraja aradhana, many vocally voiced their criticism of his singing. I hear/read similar reports(vikatan/kumudam)from his other kucheris too.

Coming to todays pick, its an excellent attempt by Vidyasagar. He proved(s) again and again that his 'malare mounama' was no fluke.

Can anyone tellme the raaga of the song?

(Murai maaman had kushboo and Jairam. The film followed their hit 'purusha lakshanam')

rajeshkrv
17th February 2006, 05:41 AM
mazhai mazhai is another b'ful song by UK in the recent times

and as mentioned he's not doing that bad in film music and carnatic..

RR
17th February 2006, 08:16 AM
Ramki, It's madhyamavathi.

From Mars
17th February 2006, 11:26 AM
UK ku 'suruthi' romba sutham nu yaarO sonnaanga :)

He sang 'anpu alaipaayuthE' beautifully in priya saki (title song)

yvsmani
17th February 2006, 11:27 AM
aanandham aanandham endru paarththavudan I thought of aanandham aanandham yaar thanthathu by SJ or somebody else........

VS, earlier was giving atleast one melody in each and every film. paavam, avarai kuththu pattu MD- agha directors akkivittargal...... enna seivaar avar......

Ramki
20th February 2006, 05:01 AM
Pick #264

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/aararo_d.rm

Song:aararo aariraro
Film: Dasarathan
Singers: KJYesudoss, SPB
Music: LVaidyanathan

Due to limited typing capabilities, for next couple of weeks i will post only the main details. I invite others to share the remaining details. Thanks.

yvsmani
20th February 2006, 10:36 AM
dasarathan had sarathkumar, heera if I am correct. Almost all the songs are good in this film. thiraikathai ellaam memoryil illai

From Mars
20th February 2006, 10:50 PM
mmm ennachu Ramki? :)
Dasarathan had sivakumar, sarathkumar, heera. IMO this is only hummable song in that movie.

rajeshkrv
20th February 2006, 11:16 PM
there was a good duet by
Mano & KSC in dasarathan

Dasarathan was directed by the veteran actor Raja Krishamurthy alias Kitty ( Manisha's father in bombay)

Ramki
21st February 2006, 07:01 AM
Pick #265

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/vazhai_crpr.rm

Song:vazhaiyadi vazhaiyaa
Film: chinna ramasami periya ramasami
Singers: KJYesudoss, Arunmozhi
Lyrics: RVUdayakumar?
Music: iLairaraja

From Mars
21st February 2006, 09:00 AM
KJY Duets ah :)

RR
21st February 2006, 12:55 PM
From RIC,

http://www.raaja.com/ric/film/FL000125.html

RVU was supposed to be one of the heroes in the movie. No idea if it got released. I think songs came out in 1997 itself.

From Mars
21st February 2006, 04:59 PM
Murali is another one. The CD got released, I guess no-one bought it except Ramki :)

yvsmani
22nd February 2006, 11:17 AM
I had seen clippings of this movie in sun tv's top 10 programme in the section "Arimugam". athan pin, padam release achcha ennavendru edhuvum theriyathu !!! Jayaram paarthathu pol gyabagam

RR
22nd February 2006, 03:45 PM
Murali is another one. The CD got released, I guess no-one bought it except Ramki :)
If only the HCIRF gang saw this comment...

It was a hotly discussed (as typical of those days, one group going gaga.. and another group nah nah.. There was never a middle ground) album on DF.

From Mars
22nd February 2006, 09:54 PM
RR :lol:

it was a fact ;) IR days were gone by that time. 'sembaruthi' CD was sold out within a day, I had to wait few weeks to get it. Those days, you ask who is the music director, then buy the album. By 'CRPR' time, his CDs were left on the shelves to accumulate dust.

Ramki
23rd February 2006, 06:37 AM
Pick #266

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/uruvam_np.rm

Song:uruvam kaNdu
Film: neethipathi
Singers: KRRamasamy, TMS
Lyrics: ?
Music: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

From Manisekaran's post:

"Vijaya Pictures" Neethipathi is starred by TKS Shanmugam, Gemini Ganesan, KR Ramasamy TS Palaiya and K.Malathi (Bathala Bairavi fame. Music is by Visvanathan Ramamoorthy. Story is by Solaimalai. There are at least three nice songs like:
a) Uruvam Kandu En Manathu Uruguthey by TMS and KR Ramasamy.
b)Seena Chakkarai Mittaai Pona varathu by KRR
c) Thaayum Seiyum Pirinthathai Paar by CSJ. This song sia milestone in the Tamil Film Song history. This is the first song where a full orchestra was ever used. The credit goes to MSV. Have you hearde this most ecxellent song? you can here chorus in this song. MSV got hold of about 10 church-going Anglo Indian gilrs to sing humming. The song was such a hit that much later he attempted a modern touch in the film Puthiya Paravai. The song is "Engey Nimmathee" where 70 artistes were used. Next was "Oru Raaja raaniyidam" from Sivantha Mann. The he tried for Nam Nadu in the song "Ninaithathai Nadathiye Mudippavan Naan Naan Naan". Later was "Azhagiya Thamizh Magal Ival" in Rickshawkaran. So now we know the origin of orchestration by MSV.

rajraj
23rd February 2006, 09:37 AM
Ramki: This movie used four lyricists - udumalai naarayaNa kavi, kaNNadhasan, maruthakasi and k.p.kamatchi

Ramki
24th February 2006, 05:41 AM
Pick #267

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/naan_nk.rm

Song:naan oru kovil
Film: nellikaNi
Singers: SPB, MV
Lyrics: Vaali
Music: Shanhar Ganesh

one of my fav Male duets. The lyrics will put every 'brokeback' to shame but most of our filmi 'friendship' duets had such lyrics(rememer 'ramu i love you' from unakkaga naan?). In nellikani, sivakumar and sivachandran were the heath ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. Swapna played the female lead. Story is the oft seen one: 2 close friends fall for the same girl. In the end one dies and the other gets the girl.
'paadu thendrale pudhu malar vandhadu'(JC,VJ) is another nice song from NK

Thiru
24th February 2006, 07:22 AM
very good pick ramki.. first time I'm listening to this song.. indeed a hidden SG gem..

yvsmani
24th February 2006, 10:07 AM
I too like this duet. I have seen this song but not the film.
Ramki :
naan oru kovil endru paarththavudan, paadu thendralee patri ezuthanum ena ninaiththen........ neengalae ezuthi vittergal. paadu thendralee somehow overshadows naan oru kovil.

balaji
24th February 2006, 04:19 PM
Ramki Sir

Isn't PulamaiPithan the lyricist for the Nellikani song?

Anyway thanks
Bala

From Mars
25th February 2006, 06:03 AM
good song, I haven't listened this for decades. Thanks Ramki.

I couldn't watch the movie, so after this song , I stopped it :)

madhu
25th February 2006, 07:26 PM
one of my fav Male duets. The lyrics will put every 'brokeback' to shame but most of our filmi 'friendship' duets had such lyrics(rememer 'ramu i love you' from unakkaga naan?).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ramki.. TFM-la innum niRaiya irukku..

naNbane.. enadhu uyir naNbane .. enru male voice-lerundhu..
idho idho en nenjile enru female voice varai..

Ramki
27th February 2006, 05:08 AM
Pick #268

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/partha_n.rm

Song:paarthadhenne paarvaiyennai
Film: naangaL
Singers: SPB, Chitra
Lyrics: Vaali ?
Music: IR

Bala requested this nice song long time back. Song picturised on Prabhu and deepika Chikhaliya.

balaji
27th February 2006, 04:52 PM
Ramki

Thanks for hosting the song. The song did not get its due credit, thanks to the film flopping so badly. Also in 90s Melody started taking a back seat.

Thanks a Million!

Bala

tvsankar
27th February 2006, 10:40 PM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the rare gem!!! Nice melody!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Ramki
28th February 2006, 03:46 AM
Pick #269

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/alaiye_tk.rm

Song:alaiye kadalaliye
Film: Thirukalyanam
Singers: SJanaki, Jayachandran
Lyrics: kannadasan

Naaz requested this song. He writes:

There was nothing like a sophomore period for
Ilayaraja. After Annakili, tamizh film music was to be
changed forever. For the it's-all-a-flash-in-the-pan
coterie of critics, suffice to say that they could
have all died gagging on bathroom tissue.
Ilayraja followed up with Paalootti Valarththa Kili
(the immortal Naan Pesa Vandhaen) Uravaadum Nenjam
(the unforgettable Oru Naal) Saindhadamma Saindhaadu
(the memorable Oru Kaadhal Devathai) Vaazha
Niaiththaal Vaazahalaam (the dulcet Veenai Meettum
Kaigalae) Thunaiiruppaal Meenaatchi (the stellar
Sugamo Aayiram) Achchaani (the serene Maadha Un
Kovilil)...and the pick I present here today. All the
songs define the early days of a musical revolution
that would grip the populace, sway them, and sway them
like nothing else before. Ilayaraja ruled.

Thirukkalyanam is a film I remember nothing about. All
I know is that it was a godly wedding that not too
many attended, and one that was even more quickly
forgotten. Why does Sri Vidya suddenly loom large in
my vision? Is there a Muthuraman in there somwhere? I
really can't make my way out of this collage of cinema
posters, all corrupted by memory...

But this duet - this has not left the hum-drome in my
head. Once heard, the pallavi will NEVER leave yours
too. The transitions in the song are what will very
soon become IR signatures: the operatic vaults that
drop so softly, easily into a haunting flute lead,
stirred to electric dreams again by the bass
guitar...Some signatures are indelible. Imacculate,
too.

Ilayaraja, S Janaki, P Jayachandran. Give in to a wave
of bliss.

jn
28th February 2006, 04:23 AM
Ramki and Naaz: thanks for this lovely song. Though I haven't heard this song in ages, I remember the lyrics very well. :)

baroque
28th February 2006, 05:47 AM
What a mellifluous early Raaja treasure!! Thanks Naaz!!

madhu
28th February 2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Ramki..

Thanks for this lovely song..
there is another song in the film "devadhaigaL vAzhthuvadhu" by PS and SJ. Though the tune is different in the beginning, when SJ sings, the tune again blends with this song... if u hv it, just listen and comment..

baroque
1st March 2006, 07:19 AM
Ramki, Is it possible for us to have POW collection with SEARCH option at the front page of TFM?? It will be nice for some of us who loves to indulge in our favorite songs often!
Good day, Vinatha

tvsankar
1st March 2006, 08:36 AM
Dear Ramki and Nazz,
Thanks for the nice song!! Composition valuevai feel panna vaikum song!!

Nazz - Nice write up about IR"s orchestration!!! :) Thank you!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Naaz
1st March 2006, 11:10 AM
Ramki -

Thanks for featuring this fine duet. IR/SJ/PJC all at their best! The song is imbued with such youthful promise. Indraikellaam Kaetundirukkalaam! Thanks for the good response to all.

Any info on the film? I remember so many songs, but I have nothing to say about the story or the stars!

Naaz

yvsmani
1st March 2006, 04:07 PM
another nice pick up in POW

thumburu
1st March 2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks to Naaz and Ramki for hosting this vintage IR beauty.
What a catchy melody it is, backed by honey soaked voice of SJ and PJ!!! Wow!!! those bye gone era of melodies

jmahesh
1st March 2006, 11:39 PM
I was not in town for more than aweek.After coming back i heard all the songs in one go. very nice songs.
The song from Nanngal 'Paarthadhenna' sounds very much like pattupoove from sembaruthi.have never heard this song before, it is definitely a good one.
I have seen Nellikani long time ago , i remember in the climax Sivakumar sacrifices his life by riding on a bike( like the one u see in circus)and killing himself.
Alayae is one of my personal favourites
Many thanks Ramki

Ramki
2nd March 2006, 04:47 AM
Thank you all.

Naaz i remember reading that the song was picturised on Rajinikanth and sumithra.

Ramki
2nd March 2006, 05:00 AM
Picks #270 and #271

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/iyarkai_vnv.rm
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/veenai_vnv.rm

Songs:iyarkkai radhangaLe/veenai meettum kaigaLe
Film: vaazha ninaithal vazhalaam
Singers: TMS,PSuseela/SJanaki
Lyrics: kannadasan / Panju Arunachalam

Manorama's comedy was the highlight of VNV. Just thinking about her line 'oru periya mayai adhe oru chinna kuyee' will make me laugh .
VNV had Jaishankar,Jayadevi and sripriya. manorama's 'kaanankuruvikku kalyaaNamaam' is another song i remember from vnv.

Meerakrishna
2nd March 2006, 05:39 AM
song 'Veenai meetum kaigaLe' is really beautiful. Thanks for this sweet song.

balaji
2nd March 2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks to the interludes, the Sankar-Ganesh-ish 'Iyrakai Radhangale' makes worth listening. TMS in this song is a big bother to my ears. The tune very average and I somehow of the opinion then (& now) that IR was forced to direct this song whose tune belongs to some one else..

Veenai Mettum is an absolute gem.

Thanks Ramki
Bala

Naaz
2nd March 2006, 08:11 PM
Ramki -

Coming to think of it, I guess I did give you a list of songs a few days ago! :D
Thanks for the cherished veenai. I'd forgotten all about Iyarkai Rathangalae, but that's not the case anymore :(

Rajnikanth/Sumitra...in Alaiyae? From now on I should leave even the guess work to others! :lol:

rajraj
2nd March 2006, 09:06 PM
Picks #271

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/veenai_vnv.rm

Songs:veenai meettum kaigaLe
Film: vaazha ninaithal vazhalaam
Singers: TMS,PSuseela/SJanaki
Lyrics: kannadasan / Panju Arunachalam

Manorama's comedy was the highlight of VNV. Just thinking about her line 'oru periya mayai adhe oru chinna kuyee' will make me laugh .
VNV had Jaishankar,Jayadevi and sripriya. manorama's 'kaanankuruvikku kalyaaNamaam' is another song i remember from vnv.

Ramki: I edited and quoted your post to give separate identity for the songs in the alphabetical list. Otherwise, it will show up as '2 songs' ! :)

rajeshkrv
3rd March 2006, 12:07 AM
great songs

thanks ramki

jn
3rd March 2006, 04:34 AM
Thanks ramki for my favourite veenai song :)
Inspite of your limited typing capabilities, your dedication to this thread is greatly appreciated.
Hope you are back to normal now. :)

SN23
3rd March 2006, 11:53 AM
hO, missed many gems due to many issues :(

1. I never heard the song uruvam kaNdu (neethipathi). TMS’s shrill kural alongwith KRR’s big voice looks very strange. But supera eedu kudukkarar. Many thanks aNNa :D

2. I like the way of MVD’s singing (SPB fans udaippangaLa?). Just a feeling thaan. The ever best male duet according to me is ponnondru kanden, though it was not on definitely breakable friendship :D

3. Ramki, how can you provide wrong info :lol:

Thirukalyanam came almost after the hit “madhura geedham” by VC Guhanadhan. TK’s Lead pair is Vijayakumar, Srividya and SR Vijaya (Arimugam). SRV is the main heroine. 2nd lady entering into VK’s life is Srividya. alaiye kadalaliye is for VK and SV. DevadhiagaL female duet is for the heroines.

4. vaazha ninaithal vazhalaam also had the 1 hero + 2 heroines story, Sripriya being Jai’s add-on :wink:

iyarkkai radhangaLe does not have the 80’s IR touch. PS is paLich in that song. If you watch the scene of veenai meettum kaigaLe, you will realize you committed a major blunder in your music life. Jayadevi with Veenai…NIL expressive face.... Song is also lengthy and slow paced. hO thaangadhu.

The best part of VNV is Manorama's peyyyyyya maya adiya oru chinnnnna kuyyyyy :lol. Must watch the nara nara reaction of ThEngai :lol:

ShankarV69
3rd March 2006, 12:37 PM
Does anybody have the song "Kannan Enge" from "Madhura Geetham" ?

Neel D
3rd March 2006, 04:01 PM
Ramki,

Thanks for the songs from Vaazha Ninaithaal Vaazhalaam. Wonderful songs. Neither sounds like a typical IR song. I have not seen the movie. Would love to watch Aachi's comedy after your recommendation.

Do you by any chance have the song "ithu iLamai kAla iravu" by SJ from the movie "Kai Pidithaval"?

Naaz
3rd March 2006, 09:27 PM
SN23 -

Sri Vidya had a spate of films in a very short time (Ditto for Muthraman / Vijayakumar.) I'd merged posters of Thirukkalyaanam and Nalla Pennmani !
It came to me when I read your post and that detail on Mathura Geetham.. Nalla Pennamani had a fine duet by PS / KJY "Inangalilae Endha Inam Penninam... " Ramki!! :D

And another curiosity from VNV: While Jaya Devi Is playing this song on the veenai, doesn't the hero (cut to size) walk up and down the ridges? Or is my memory back to its usual tricks?

baroque
4th March 2006, 01:41 AM
[tscii:573f7dfa3f]Veenai meettum kaigale...... enchanting song from hindustani Raaja with khamaj-bageshri kalapadam pallavi! Rich veena interludes, melodious singing by Janaki! Rt away I am thinking of ‘sugamo aayeram...’! Another Raaja tune with divine veena ludes!

Thanks,Ramki! [/tscii:573f7dfa3f]

tvsankar
5th March 2006, 02:19 PM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the IR song!!!

Beautiful melody by S.Janaki!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

madhu
5th March 2006, 07:10 PM
Hi Ramki..

Long back I requested for "idhu Ilamai kala iravu" and now Neel D is also asking.. I tried everywhere and unable to get it.. zzz

Ramki
6th March 2006, 03:11 AM
Thanks Naaz, raj,bala, meerakrishna, rajesh,usha,baroque.

JN not for next 3 weeks :)

SN23, i said 'i remember reading' :) And you know about my memory :). Thanks for other details.

Madhu/Neel - I do not have'idhu ilamaikaala' song. I will keep looking for it.

Ramki
6th March 2006, 03:55 AM
Pick #272

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/muthu_oko.rm

Song: Muthu tharagai
Film: oru kai osai
Singers: PSuseela,SPB
lyrics: vaali
Music: MSV

This is one of the 'good song bad, very bad picturisation' kind. Many of Bakyaraj's films had a dream song with him and the heroine in raja rani getup. While urvasi,ambika etc were atleast lookable, aswini was plain horrible.Aswini is only suitable for sad, brooding roles. Even in OKO she played a similar role , only this song was a huge mistake.
OKO was a ok film.KB played a deaf and dumb guy in love with a doctor(aswini).Sagili murugan,ponni etc were other actors.
I rember a LRE solo for Ponni. Any other good songs?

Naaz
6th March 2006, 12:03 PM
Ramki -

Although not the best representation of the PS MSV SPB team, this song is still hummable. An overlooked solo by SJ from the same film is "Naan Neerodaiyil Neeradaiyil Yaaro Vandhu Aedho Solli...Kaiyappidichchaan" I have searched high and low for this song, and now I submit it to you to add to the lost gems of SJ list - and find it! :D

SN23
6th March 2006, 01:07 PM
Ramki, Grand opening of this week with a super-hit song. This one and Maragadha megam sindhum are very popular under later era of MSV (with SPB & PS).

KBR could have used some other background for this song, instead of a dream duet with kashmiri & gagra costumes for himself and Ashwini. She was very apt for the role of Doctor but misfit for dream song sequence. I guess she acted in Nandu also?

Ponni's solo song is by SJ (Naaz mentioned this song), a almost repeat of Andha maapilla kadhalichhan kaiya pudichaan.

yvsmani
6th March 2006, 01:32 PM
a very nice song from MSV in the early 80s. This film used to be telecasted in raj tv atleast once in a yer earlier.

balaji
6th March 2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks Ramki.

This was a Madras B regular (Is that Ilainjar Ulagam at 6:30 PM?). Good Song. AV gave 50/100 for this movie if I remember correctly. Released at Anna Theatre (Mount Road, not sure if that exits today), the movie did fairly ok in Madras.

In those days of decreasing popularity of MSV, this song used to be cited by his fans (my class mates in particular) as MSV's ability to provide grand duets which the other MD (You know who!) cannot come up to his measure..

Hmm.. Those were the days!

Kodana Kodi Nandri!

Bala

jmahesh
6th March 2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the song Ramki.I am listening to this song after such a long time.I have seen this movie in a dappa theatre in madurai.
I vaguely remember the story about Bagyaraj being deaf & dumb and he falling in love with Aswini who comes to the village as a doctor.If I am right she also has a kid and at the end she leaves the village and bagyaraj is left behind.Soha mudivu!
As you said she only fitted serious roles .I think her best was udhiri pookal. She was recently seen in Indira as Anu hassan's mother.

Neel D
7th March 2006, 03:25 AM
Beautiful song. Thanks Ramki.

Madhu, since you already requested "idhu iLamai kAla iravu", I am going to request another song now :-)

Ramki, do you have "then ilangai mangai... veNNilavin thangai" by SJ? I am not sure if it is a solo or a duet. Heard that song a million years ago.

Ramki
7th March 2006, 04:20 AM
Thank you everone for your responses.

I'm noting down all your requests and will host them when i find them.

Ramki
7th March 2006, 04:29 AM
Pick #273

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/mun_ekv.rm

Song: mun iravu neram
Film: engaLukkum kadhal varum
lyrics: ?

A good song from an obscure film. I have no other details to provide. So feel free to post whatever you know about the song, film,actors etc.
Btw this and next week will be PS-SPB weeks :)

SN23
7th March 2006, 10:03 AM
Ramki brother, EKV directed by R Vittal, released in mid 70's nearer to U U Vaa. The same lead acted, I guess, Ravichandran & Kanchana. Music looks MSV-ish. Earlier even SG had a strong odour of MSV's.

PS+SPB week-il, engeyO edhO pAttondru kEttEn host paNNungaL Ramki. I do not have that song at all. It was grand song to my ears :-)

ShankarV69
7th March 2006, 01:42 PM
I listened to "Mun Iravu Neram" for the first time and thanks Ramki for a nice melody.

SPBs voice is more matured in this song than "Madhamo Avani" or "...kaLLam illatha pillai niaLavi" from U U Vaa, if this song has come in the same period.

Looking foward to more SPBs older (RARE & EVERGREEN) melodies in the coming weeks.

BTW, from where you get all these GEMS of 70s?

madhu
7th March 2006, 07:03 PM
Beautiful song. Thanks Ramki.

Madhu, since you already requested "idhu iLamai kAla iravu", I am going to request another song now :-)

Ramki, do you have "then ilangai mangai... veNNilavin thangai" by SJ? I am not sure if it is a solo or a duet. Heard that song a million years ago.

Hi Neel..

is it from the film "Mogana punnagai" *ng Shivaji ?

Ramki
8th March 2006, 04:53 AM
SN23 as always thanks for the details. As shankar noted, i too assumed the song to be from late 70s and imagined it for a siva/vijaykumar or muthuraman.

Shankar, some songs are from my personal collection. Remaining i get it from others.

Madhu that song is from mohana punnagai

Ramki
8th March 2006, 05:03 AM
Pick #274

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kanden_mm.rm

Song: kaNden kalyaana pen pondra
Film: Mayor Meenakshi
lyrics: kannadasan

A beautiful duet from an outstanding album. MM is one of my favorite late 70s MSV album.
'thirumurugan aruginile' and 'kodiviita siru' are other pickworthy songs in MM. I did not watch this film but remember my sisters nicknaming anylady with a broomstick in their hand as 'mayor meenakshi' :) I assume that was KRV's pose in the posters.
Jaishankar was her jodi? vijaykumar and sripriya the second pair? vague memories.

madhu
8th March 2006, 05:05 AM
Hi Ramki,

thanks..
if you allow me, I may request umpteen songs, which are not at all available anywhere.. ( even I cant hear them on radio/TV )
like.. "sorgathai pArkiRen unnidam" bySPB,VJ from "avaL oru adhisayam"

balaji
8th March 2006, 04:37 PM
Great Song Ramki!

I believe the film's hit resulted in spate of other heroine oriented films with KRV enacting the main role. This song and the 'Aval oru Pacchai Kuzhandai' (Nee oru Maharani/1976/Jai, Sujatha, Sri/SG, SPB/PS) used to be regular feature in all Tamil film song programs..

Thanks for hosting a grand song from the thespian MSV

bala

vel1970
8th March 2006, 10:24 PM
Ramki: I listened to few songs recently hosted. shocked a bit while listening to Iyarkai radangale song. TMS with such a faded voice? Was it in his last leg with lost voice?

All the more I surprised with SPB? very shrill voice in Kanden song. He was not comfortable with the starting scale and struggled throughout the song but managed with some stretching gimmicks :lol:

SPB's voice is very tender in another duet with PS. I liked that song very much.
One suggestion for SP & PS duet. Ponnanganni poothu vandhado, sema thattappankuthu song :-)

Naaz
8th March 2006, 11:27 PM
Ramki -

I simply love this tune. It always makes my list when it comes to PS-SPB compilations. Other duets by this pair that make me wistful (all longing, no sadness :wink: ) are Iyarkai Ennum, Kannanai Ninaikkaadha Naalilaiyae, Maadhamo Aavani, Pottu Vaiththa Mugamo, Siriththaai Andha Sirippil...and that's just from the 70s!
I look forward to this series (short but sweet) very much. Thanks!

rra
9th March 2006, 08:17 AM
Ramki: Very nice selection. Another song from MM I recall is "Evalo Oru Pennaam Adu Naan Illay.." by VJ??
rra

madhu
9th March 2006, 02:14 PM
Hi Ramki..

what a lovely tune.. !! ( mmm.. I hv to inform about another song from the film.. which is not included in the list.."irundha nalla iru").

Neel : pottu vaitha mugamo is by SPB and Vasantha

Neel D
9th March 2006, 07:31 PM
Nice song Mun Iravu Neram. Especially the interludes are lovely.
Kanden Kalayanappen is another nice song. Thanks for the selections Ramki. Will you be presenting Kannanai Niaikkaatha Naal Illaiye? That is a song I have been longing to listen to for years.

Madhu, that wasn't me :-)

vasanth2006
9th March 2006, 07:58 PM
it is nice song. music by MSV?.
it has the IRish 70's style in tune and in many places.

Anyway it is so sweet....

Naaz
9th March 2006, 09:04 PM
from mars -

That was me! :lol:
Thanks for the correction (Neel D would never commit the blunder of mistaking Vasantha for Suseela. Such bloopers are exclusively mine :)

Ramki
10th March 2006, 05:29 AM
Thankyou everyone. I have noted down all your requests. Stupid me , i already selected a set of songs in this category. From next time, i will announce the specials in advance so i can host your requests. I hope you will all like the other selections.

Madhu sir/mdm , avaL oru adhisayam?? Never heard of that film :)

Ramki
10th March 2006, 05:43 AM
Pick #275

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kovil_n.rm

Song: kovil deivam nee
Film: NinaivugaL
lyrics: vaali?

'shradanjali' is the story of a young widow with a kid brother in law, taking revenge on the baddies responsible for her husband's death. Rakhee(aNNi), Arun govil(BIL), Farah(Bils wife) , suresh oberoi(hubby) were the lead actors. This fairly engrossing story was remade in tamil with sripriya, karthik,radha etc. The off screen chemistry between sri and karthik was evident in every scene and made the relationship between a SIL and bil look very incestuous Im not sure if todays pick is SG's original, but its a very hummable song.

balaji
10th March 2006, 07:11 AM
Ramki

I am searching for the Hindi Original for a long-Long time. The song goes like 'saathi tere naam ek din jeevan kar jayenge'.. from 'Ustadi Ustaad Se' A B grade movie with Mithun/Ranjitha and others. I think Raam Laxman was the MD, and Ush Mangeshkar the singer..

SPB saves the tamil song.

Thanks Ramki. Naaz, andha hindi song irukka unga Kitta?

Bala

balaji
10th March 2006, 07:13 AM
ALso Ramki

I doubt Farah acted in Shradhanjali (may be as a child artiste). The movie came somewhere in 1981. I think it had the good looking Madhu somthing...

Thanks for the nice song!

Bala

RR
10th March 2006, 08:12 AM
bala,

That's one of my favorites too. You can d/l here:

http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=217557

balaji
10th March 2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks RR for the link.

Bala

madhu
10th March 2006, 09:12 PM
Madhu, that wasn't me :-)

sorry Neel ... it is Naaz :P

vel1970
12th March 2006, 08:52 PM
Ramki: did radha act in ninaivugal? I guess jai was the pair for Sripriya. As you said, SP and Karthik became close during this film only and went further down the hill :-)

PS is fabulous in this song. Crystal clear singing.

Naaz
13th March 2006, 04:07 AM
balaji -

And I thought I was the only one here subjected to atrocities like Ustaadi Ustaad Se...what a relief to learn that I am not alone!! :D
Yes, Saathi Tere Naam is quite a catchy number(RL had many hits in a short time,) almost as catchy as the other Mithun blockbuster "Tumse Mil Kar Naa Jaane Kyon Aur Bhi Kuch Yaad Aata Hai " (Pyaar Jhukta Nahin), which, though good, had way too much airtime. Thanks to you, I also got lucky with RR's link. Obscura Loves Company?

Ramki
13th March 2006, 05:07 AM
Bala,
Thanks for the details. I remember it as Farah.
I might have mistake.

vel,
Yes Radha acted as karthiks love/wife. She gets suspicious of his relationship with sripriya(who wouldn't ?:))

Ramki
13th March 2006, 05:17 AM
Pick #276

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/nedunaal_s.rm

Song: nedu naaL
Film: saranaalayam

This beauty continues our PS-SPB specials. Saranalayam was a decent album my MSV. 'ezhudhugiraL oru pudhu kavithai'(MV),
'indru kaatrukkum' (VJ,MV) are 2 other good melodies. The film had Mohan and NaLini and i think it was directed by Sundararajan.

yvsmani
13th March 2006, 02:54 PM
A soothing melody by the duo, a nice song by MSV. I always thank Neel D for this song as he sent me this song long back.

balaji
13th March 2006, 05:23 PM
Naaz

'PJN' was a super-hit in 1984, isn't? KCB had deep connections in AIR and SLBC then, I was told then and hence he had his songs overplayed in SLBC. Sadly, Shabbir catapulated as a top singer after the stupendous success of this. (I believe Betaab gave him his first success), and tortured for 4/5 years. Munna Aziz (Mohd Aziz) another clone of Mohd Rafi tortued after the success of Mard and went on for another 4/5 years. Then came Kumar Sanu, who had the ability to sing all songs in the same Aashiqui tone. Hindi films saw its slow death since 1980s and has now IMHO has been put to rest.

Sorry for the digression

Thanks for the nice Saranalyam song Ramki

Bala

Naaz
13th March 2006, 08:45 PM
Ramki -

A lovely find! As you say, Saranaalayam had some above average compositions by MSV. "Ezhuthugiraal Oru PudhuKavithai " should rank as one of MVDs 10 best in TFM. PS / SPB complement each other with a lingering softness of delivery and sentiment. Thanks for bringing this back to POTW.

Balaji -

Pre November 2004 (where you a visitor here then?) there were many things about this portal that have all but disappeared since. Digressions were a staple in every thread, and many of these detours had a plethora of information and detail which stimulated discussion, dialogue...and dishoom dishoom :D But no more. Pertinent, Tangential, Lateral, Remote and the Totally Pointless thoughts were the norm here, and while I can't speak for others, for me, personally, that was the thrill and thunder of TFMpage.
Your recent post was a sliver of memory, a snapshot from that time. Thanks!

jn
14th March 2006, 01:22 AM
ramki: nice PS and SPB picks. Are you continuing this combo for this week also? consider some from my request list, pls.
nedu naaL song kEttu nedu naaL aachu :)

Ramki
14th March 2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks yvsm,bala,naaz, jn.

JN unga list enge?

Ramki
14th March 2006, 05:55 AM
Pick #277

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kalyaana_m.rm

Song: kalyaana raamanukkum
Film: Maanavan

Love this energetic song by the duo. SPB's voice is right at the stage of breaking up and PS proves her seniority.
I think 'maanavan' had jaishankar and lakshmi. Any other good song? Movie details?

madhu
14th March 2006, 06:18 AM
Pick #277

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kalyaana_m.rm

Love this energetic song by the duo. SPB's voice is right at the stage of breaking up and PS proves her seniority.
I think 'maanavan' had jaishankar and lakshmi. Any other good song? Movie details?

Hi Ramki..

I think ..u hv to change the name of the film..

madhu
14th March 2006, 06:21 AM
HI ramki..

I think Sowcar Janaki is also in the cast..
I remember two more songs ..."chinna chinna pappa" and "visiladichan kunjugala"

balaji
14th March 2006, 07:15 AM
SPB's 'llalallallaah' makes this song a must hear song.
Thanks Ramki for the fine song

Naaz, I have been around since early tfm times. Always enjoyed your postings.

Bala

thenraja
14th March 2006, 07:38 AM
Pick #277

Ramki,
The film is 'Maanavan'. It is a Devar Film released in 1970. I think Kamal is also in this film. May be 'visiladichan kunjugala' is for him.

Thanks a lot for your previous picks "nedu naaL" (listening after a long time) and "mun iravu neram" (was looking for a long long time to add to my spb oldies collection).

--Thenraja

Ramki
14th March 2006, 05:43 PM
corrected. Thanks everyone

Thenraja i too remember seeing a song from 'maanavan' with kamal and kuttipadmini

jn
15th March 2006, 03:33 AM
Ramki: My list is in your pm :) Pls check.

Ramki
15th March 2006, 05:16 AM
jn no luck :(

Ramki
15th March 2006, 05:23 AM
Pick #278

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/sugam_ml.rm

Song: sugamthaana sollu
Film: manmadha leelai
lyrics: kaNNadasan

The song end always surprises me. Im not sure if the abrupt end is a fullstop or its just a comma and the remaining couldnt make into the cassette?.
Never watched ML, so no idea of the song sequence(kamal and alam?) but kaNNadasan has written some powerful lines.
'netroru menagai' is another rare song from ML. I will host it sometime.

balaji
15th March 2006, 06:20 AM
PS who generally breezes thru high pitch songs, seems to be finding it difficult here, SPB however makes it look so easy for him..

Not seen the movie either.

Thanks for the rare song Ramki. The hindi version (the movie was dubbed in Hindi) had the same singers I think for all songs including this one

Bala

jmahesh
15th March 2006, 12:48 PM
.Ramki I think Jayabarathi was the heroine in this movie.There was probably another lady Called Alam? in the movie,plus Y.vijaya.Kamal is a playboy(vazhakkam pol inthose days)jayabarathi is his wife, he goes astray which leads to seperation and finally the couple are together again .the other hit songs in the movie are manaivi amaivathellam(KJY),hello my dear wrong no.(KJY & LRE)& naadhamennum by (VJ).the song hello my dear in the movie is between kamal & y.vijaya!The movie was directed by KB , isnt it?

thumburu
15th March 2006, 05:27 PM
This is just another average duet among the classy songs like "manaivi amaivadhellaam", "naadhamennum " and "hello my dear". I would have preferred the last one which is quite rare and a brilliant composition in Dharmavathy

thumburu
15th March 2006, 05:33 PM
ok fine. SPB-PS week. right? My requests :
1. idhu naan ariyaadha mayakkam
mudhal naaL arambha pazhakkam
inimel enakkedu urakkam
ennam padhinayiram - film unknown, MD- MSV??
2. kalyana thedi sollava (iam not sure about the lyrics)
panguniya chithiraiye indre nalla naaL [ a high pitched song on the same lines of kalyana ramanukkum] fiLmname - unknown MD-MSV??

thumburu
15th March 2006, 05:36 PM
inimel enakkedu urakkam
panguniya chithiraiye indre nalla naaL [ a high pitched song on the same lines of kalyana ramanukkum] fiLmname - unknown MD-MSV??
3. "adi kaNmani
vaNNa paikiLi
chinna poonkodi
ennai thangadi

thumburu
15th March 2006, 05:38 PM
inimel enakkedu urakkam
3. "adi kaNmani
vaNNa paikiLi
chinna poonkodi
ennai thangadi
indha neram enna naaNam " filmname - unknown. MD: Vijayabhaskar

thumburu
15th March 2006, 05:44 PM
sorry for multiple posts :(

madhu
15th March 2006, 07:22 PM
.Ramki I think Jayabarathi was the heroine in this movie.There was probably another lady Called Alam? in the movie,plus Y.vijaya.Kamal is a playboy(vazhakkam pol inthose days)jayabarathi is his wife, he goes astray which leads to seperation and finally the couple are together again .the other hit songs in the movie are manaivi amaivathellam(KJY),hello my dear wrong no.(KJY & LRE)& naadhamennum by (VJ).the song hello my dear in the movie is between kamal & y.vijaya!The movie was directed by KB , isnt it?

Hi..

the heroine is Alam only. She was a dancer before in other films. But KB gave her a meaty role and she disappeared somewhere later.. :roll:

( I remember about an interview with her in which she told that her name is 'halam' means 'plough' and not 'aalam' )

madhu
15th March 2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Ramki, Thumburu..

'adi kaNmaNi' is from the film "avaL oru adhisayam" . I hv already requested another song "sorgathai paarkiren" from the same film..

thenraja
15th March 2006, 07:52 PM
inimel enakkedu urakkam

thumburu,
1. idhu naan ariyaadha mayakkam is from 'anRu sinthiya raththam', music by SG
2. pajAngam pArthu chollavO from 'sIrvarisai', music by MSV

thumburu
16th March 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Thenraja :) You might give our good old Saravanan a run for tfm knowledge :)
Madhu, ur request is vetoed out for this SPB-PS series as it is by SPB-VJ [Ramki has vested me with those powers :))] . Anyway, "Sorgathai paarkalaam" is a better number than "Adi kaNmaNi" [mudinja paakalam]

yvsmani
16th March 2006, 01:01 PM
sugam thaana in POW - i never expected it ... ramki. No reasons, of course. intha pattil SPB-in kanivana kural nandragha irukkum.

madhu
16th March 2006, 01:29 PM
hi ...

what about this rare song of SPB - PS ..?

"endhan devanin padal enna.." from pon magaL vandhAL..

SN23
16th March 2006, 03:02 PM
JN and RR: thanks for bringing me back into TFMpage :lol:

Though lengthy starting humming, that of Kalyana ramanukkum is a feather in PS' cap that she can reach any heights. Simply class. As one of our friends said, SPB's lelelelaaa lelelelaaa is really girlish and sweet as well.

Sugam thaana song cannot be equated with other song in MLeelai; but it should have been written with much involvement by Kannadasan. Good arguments between he and she... hehehehe. Both PS and SPB gel very well in this song... Lady singing with some thimir, hero with a ultAppu :-)

Ramki
17th March 2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks Bala. Never knew about the hindi version. Who are the actors?

Mahesh thanks for the details. Did jayabharathi act in ML?

WB SN23.

Ramki
17th March 2006, 05:15 AM
Pick #278

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/aval_nom.rm

Song: avaL oru pachai
Film: nee oru maharani
lyrics: vaali?

One of the popular songs of mid 70s. So popular, you would think it will be easily available. Well that was not the case .
Bala requested this song few months ago and i have been looking high and low(obviously in wrong places). Finally i got it from a source i should have asked first :)

NOM had jaishankar, sujatha, sripriya etc. Sujatha played the role of a call girl who will accept to act as the fiance/gf of a rich guy.
You can easily guess the rest(She will get really attached to him and family, the real gf will turn up, sujathas past will be exposed, she will be driven out of the house,commit suicide, rich guy realise his real love and come running to the hired girl) .

'nee oru maharani'(PS,,KJY) is another listenable song from NOM.

This song concludes the PS-SPB specials (for now).

balaji
17th March 2006, 06:47 AM
Ramki

Romba Nanri for NOM song.

Manmadha Leelai was dubbed in Hindi. Madhanotsavam (the Malayalam film) was one another dubbed Kamal Movie pre EDKL days. Listerners of SLBC would have heard the Hindi songs.

Bala

natha1729
17th March 2006, 10:24 AM
Ramki, two things brought me back to the forum after a very long gap. One is the demise of the numero uno (mal composer) Devarajan, whose contribution to TFM is nothing mean, and your remembering two songs that for me kind of typifies the idyllic setting of the mid 70s, the uncomplicated and rustic feel of the times. Actually, these are two songs that made it very special, and you brought them one after the other. I think it very strange. And, these happen to be from the same underdog geniuses Sankar-Ganesh, one of my favorites in Mal as well (in fact, i think they were the only duo there.)

1. Kalyana Ramanukku
2. Aval Oru Pachchai Kuzhandai , now running

No more words, those are two songs I want to carve out in Mahabs ;--) Timeless, is what i say.

When you have chance, can u figure in some Vijay Bhasker songs as well?

Thanks again

Naaz
17th March 2006, 11:09 AM
Ramki -

An evergreen duet! Great choice!

Nee Oru Maharani begat the hindi Dulhan Wohi Jo Piya Man Bhaaye (prostitute as flower girl)which begat Marumagal ( a tamizh original as a tamizh remake, simply boggles the mind!) which begat Pretty Woman (back to the oldest profession in the world.)

What goes around?

And, yes, Manmadha Leelai and Madanotsavam (Paruva Raagam) were both dubbed in Hindi. Can we leave it at that?
:roll:

SN23
17th March 2006, 02:32 PM
Ramki: "Song: aval oru pachai" endru paartha undan, ennamO uruththiyaudhu :-)

Was NOM a hit? The short stroy you narrated bad been in many films as Naaz mentioned. Hopeless Tamizh pada ulagam.

This song was one of the greatest duets of PS+SPB. Jet Vega paattu. The film must have been release almost 30 years back. Still the song is outstanding in harmonisation and rendition. PS must have been in early 40's. What a power in her voice!! adichukka mudiyaadhu.. AV Ramanan in his recent tit-bit interview said that this song was a MUST in his early days of stage programs. Now he fear to re-include it, as it would be a challenge for him to sing.

BTW, was this not for Sripriya & Jai in movie?

balaji
17th March 2006, 11:22 PM
And, yes, Manmadha Leelai and Madanotsavam (Paruva Raagam) were both dubbed in Hindi. Can we leave it at that? ==> Naaz, ethavadhu thappa sollitena?

Ore correction, isn't that Paruva Mazhai. Paruva Ragam is the Ravi/Juli (juhi) padam illayo?

Bala

Naaz
18th March 2006, 12:32 AM
Balaji -

Neenga Thappa Edhuvum Sollalaiye! "Can we leave it at that?" was meant to imply "Why did they bother?" :)

Yes, Paruva Mazhai was the name of the film. I've been trying to recollect the name of the dubbed Hindi ventures...Help! My memory is not quite so youthful anymore! :) Thanks for the correction.

Whenever I hear Aval Oru Pachchai Kuzhandhai, I also hear Avalae En Kaadhali...wonder why?

Neel D
18th March 2006, 07:01 AM
Listening to kalyANA rAmanukkum after a long long time. Such a lovely song. Thanks for the PS-SPB series Ramki.

umaramesh
18th March 2006, 12:22 PM
Ramki
Thanks for the terrific song(NEE ORU MAGA RANI). MANATHIL PAZHAYA NINAVIUGAL.

By the bye one more request. please make ANBU MEGAMME INGU OODIVA fine duet by spb-Vj. from the film ENGAMMA SABATHAM.MUSIC BY VIJAYA BHASKAR. I Think everyone will like this song.

ramesh

balaji
18th March 2006, 10:20 PM
Naaz

DHIL KA SAATHI DHIL was the name

This website has more etails
http://www.salilda.com/filmsongs/hindi/dilkasaathi.asp

Bala

vel1970
19th March 2006, 08:44 PM
Ramki, good series of PS&SPB songs. Top of all, is this Nee oru maharani song. I liked the intermediate humming of PS. If I assume the actress is sripriya, it would hv been a perfect match. A small hitch in SPB, he does not pronounce clearly DeivangaL in "kaadhal deivangaL" phrase. Otherwise a fresh and original ever living Sankar-Ganesh song.

Aduthu enna series?

vel1970
19th March 2006, 09:12 PM
Ramki, I again listened to Nedu naal song. The style of PS singing the line Naan naanamilladhaval alla is very sweet. I would ask teh girl to sing this line when I go for girl seeing function. Ponnukku naanam irukka illayannu therinjukkalaam :lol:

Ramki
20th March 2006, 05:02 AM
Thanks everyone

SN23, i believe the song is for sujatha and jai. They sing during a function

vel
>>I would ask teh girl to sing this line when I >>go for girl seeing function.

Good luck:) But beware since you will ask her to sing a duet, she might expect you to sing the male portion :)

Ramki
20th March 2006, 05:17 AM
Pick #279

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/velli_pk.rm

Song: veLLi rathangaL
Film: paruva kaalam
Singer: Madhuri
lyrics: kaNNadasan?
Music: GDevarajan

Indian film Music lost one another of its brightest star last week. The maestro of early malayalam movies (and handful of tamil) GDevarajan.
Here is a brief note on his accomplihments:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/03/17/stories/2006031701720100.htm

Todays pick is sung by his favorite(and only his?)singer Madhuri. She sounds like a young SPshailaja in this song.
I think 'paruva kaalam' is a malayalam dubbing. I can be wrong as i always keep confusing it with another mallu dubbing 'paruva mazhai'.

NOV
20th March 2006, 06:33 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Ramki and other contributors to this thread for reaching 100 pages. :D

balaji
20th March 2006, 06:35 AM
Ramki

Thanks for the song:

Seacrhed the net and got this info about the song and the movie. It seems to be another early movies of Kamal, where he acted in not so benevolent role.

Thanks for this nice song
Bala

jn
20th March 2006, 07:09 AM
ramki and all the hubbers: vaazhththukkaL:)
roja ramani kadhaanaaygiyaaga aRimugam aana padam. There is another pathos version of the song.

SN23
20th March 2006, 11:05 AM
Ramki, take-off of vanamenum veedhiyile and veLLi radhangaL are on the same notes, if I am right. May be music experts please confirm.

Madhuri's Rajamagan raajavukku yaanai mele ambari (with PS in Yaanai valartha vanambadiyin magan), Kannugal pooti nyan oru nimisham (Thirumalai-Thenkumari), Vanamenum veedhiyile (with KJY in Annai Velaankanni) etc are really good pieces. Slight goNa goNa voice but sings well, I think.

RojaramaNi was hyped in media as if she will trash Sridevi into dustbin. But her films are alomsot flop. Esp, the most expected Vayasu PoNNu. To my knowledge Sivappukal Mookkuthi, Vandikaaran Magan are ok sort of films in her career. But she did well in Telugu films I heard.

sathyakabali
20th March 2006, 05:15 PM
[tscii:cc47bcee7f]Hi Ramki
Here is the Paruvakalam song - I posted in Dhool last August as nEyar viruppam.

There are some songs which you have heard long.....ago... lingering in your ears.... Here is one such song "veLLi rathangaL azhagu mEgam" from Paruvakalam. Here is my attempt to dig out the details of the movie Paruvakalam and the 2 songs from Paruvakalam- Happy and sad versions of "veLLi rathangaL azhagu mEgam".

P.N.Menon is the pioneer of new wave cinema in Malayalam , His film Olavum Theeravum broke Malayalam cinema traditions, from artificial sets and stage drama presentation to outdoor locations. M T Vasudevan Nair's script and dialogues evoking local accents was something unusual to Malayalam cinema.

Born in a poor family in Vadakkancherry in Kerala, young Menon found pleasure in visionary sketches. There were tents in the open village grounds, where films were shown. They were in Tamil and came just once a year. After completing his studies at Trichur School of Art at the age of 20, he took the Madras Mail, the only train that went from Kerala to Madras. He didn't know what he could do in films. All he knew was that he wanted to be where the films were being made.
And his dreams were shattered when he wasn't even allowed inside the two studios in Madras, Newton and Gemini. For five months he tried but the gates still wouldn't open to him.. He travelled to Salem as a ticketless traveller,to find a job in Modern Studios..He couldn’t locate Modern studios. He took up a job as a production boy in another studio. He was doing all kinds of work…cooking, drawing water from the well, washing clothes, cleaning the house and running errands for everyone. But, after two-and-a-half years, the studio was shut down and he went back to Madras.
He started doing sketches, then painting and doing magazine covers. . One of his designing assignments was for producer B Nagi Reddy's magazines. The production house was so impressed with his talent that when they bought Vauhini studio, Nagi Reddy's son appointed him as an apprentice in the painting department. That was P N Menon's first paid job in the film world.

[html:cc47bcee7f]http://www.cinemaofmalayalam.net/pnmenon.jpg[/html:cc47bcee7f]

One of the first Mayalayam films, Ninamaninja Kalppadukal, was being made in Madras at the time. Menon, was chosen as the art director. Thereafter, almost every Malayalam movie then had Menon as the art director. He was learning all about films;read many books.He used to see a lot of international films.
Menon recalls ”Those films were my books;that was my education and I learnt a lot.The desire to create a movie myself intensified with each day, and my greatest ambition was to transplant movies from the interiors of the studios to the vast outdoors, where you don't need artificial light or colour. It was because I felt films should be closer to life. Films made in Madras then were far from realistic. Actually, in those days, I even felt my idea about movies were wrong."
What gave him confidence was the movies made by Vittorio De Sica, Italian master of neo-realism and director of classics like Bicycle Thieves.
Inspired by Woman of the River, Menon finally made Rosie, most of which was shot outdoors. There was no make-up and the sound was also dubbed. All these were unheard of in Malayalam films. That was the first time a Malayalam film was made outside a studio.But the film failed. Menon was not perturbed.
In 1969 , based on M T Vasudevan Nair's script he made a remarkable film, Olavum Theeravum (released in 1970)with Manikada Ravi Varma as cameraman.Olavum Theeravum,., still holds as one of the most realistic and sensitive films ever in Malayalam. Menon didn't resort to melodrama or sentimentality, just narrated the tale of some characters.The film very realistically. told the story of Nabisa, an innocent Muslim girl of Malabar region with immense visual appeal. That was also the first authentic statement of the way of life of Malabar Muslims. It was perfect in its accuracy of dialect, choice of location and art direction. Reminiscent of the Italian neo-realist films in its stark realism
The film was produced by P A Backer, who later turned director, (Cast: Madhu, Jose Prakash, Nellikode Bhaskaran, Usha Nandini Music: Baburaj) It won the State award for best film.This is how Menon reminisces about this film “All of us worked in unison and it was the creative effort... We didn't use a single light. There were no actors in it. We camped on the banks of Aluva river and the whole film was shot in a small hut. But we enjoyed the process. We did win some awards, including the Best Film award from the Kerala state. But even if we hadn't won any awards, we wouldn't have been disappointed; it was one film all of us enjoyed making. People still respect me for that film. “

Other notable film Kuttiyedathi (Eldest Sister), was based on a short story by M T Vasudevan Nair. Gayathri and Malamukalile Daivam have won national awards.

Here are some of his films Maappusaakshi(1971),Panimudakku, Chemparaththi (1972),Darshanam,Chaayam(1973), Mazhakkaaru (1974) , Odakkuzhal (1975), Udhayam kizhakku thannaey (1976) , Taxi driver,(1978), Devathai (Tamil) (1979) , Anu (Tamil)(1982), Malamukalilaey daivam, Glimpses of Kerala (English) , Asthram (1983), Padippura (1988), Money order (1990), Nerkkuneraey (2004)

In 1972 Menon directed the film Chembaraththy in Malayalam. It is the story of an innocent girl Shantha on the threshold of adolescense.He cast Rojaramani who was in early teens(may be thirteen or fourteen). It was a very sensitive portrayal by Rojaramani.The film became a hit and bagged the second best film by Kerala state government. She did the Tamil and Telugu remakes as well, Paruva Kaalam in Tamil with Kamalhasan and Kanya Vaiyasulu in Telugu. Music was by the legendary music composer G.Devarajan, one of the most original composers of Malayalam theatre and movies.In 1972 Devarajan bagged Kerala state award for best music for his work in Chembaraththy and Maram.

Devarajan hails from Paravoor of Kollam district. Paravoor is known for its contribution to literature and arts. Paravoor K.C.Kesava Pillai, a gifted poet, prose writer, dramatist and scholar, originated the musical play in Malayalam through his work Sadarama. His Kesaveeyam, a Mahakavyam, is of outstanding literary importance. In the history of Malayalam music, he has a prominent place as a gifted composer of songs. Paravoor Kesavan Asan, the founder editor of Sujananandini, another prominent literary figure, was a journalist and a prose writer. His Saratchandrika is a contribution to the study of Ayurvedic system of medicine
Devarajan was born on 27th of septemeber 1927. His father N. Kochu Govindan Asan, a reputed singer and mridangist, was his guru.Devarajan as vocalist, closely followed the famed G.N.Balasubramaniam style..He started singing in stage concerts..Even during those early days, Devarajan, used to render specially composed songs during his concerts. Most of them were from the poems of Changampuzha, G. Sankara Kurup, P.Bhaskaran and others.
His tunes to O.N.V Kurup’s poems brought out the inherent talent as the composer. One of them `Ponnarival ambiliyil... ' became so popular that it was later used in the landmark play `Ningalenne Communistaki', which changed the whole genre of Malayalam light music. The drama songs, especially of the Kerala People's Arts Club or KPAC were a rage among the masses and even now a number of cassettes of drama songs are being released frequently. His first recording session in Chennai was in 1951. To cash in on the popularity of the drama songs of KPAC, HMV decided to bring out discs and all the songs were recorded at their studio in Chennai.

[html:cc47bcee7f]http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2002/09/09/images/2002090900880201.jpg[/html:cc47bcee7f]

"The studio room was very small. They did not have a dedicated orchestra and used to call the artistes for each recording session.
The duration of the HMV discs was 2.55 minutes and I had to record an abridged version of `Ponnarival ambiliyil... ' to include it in the disc. While recording these songs I remember Soundrarajan, P. Leela and other singers waiting for their turn in the studio. After recording the film songs at the studios, the singers used to rush to the HMV studio and record it again for the disc," he remembers.

Devarajan recollects that the first song he composed was the one written by his childhood friend M.K. Raghavan Pillai. He had composed the music for many other poems, including those written by G. Kumara Pillai.

Since his debut in the film `Kaalam Marunnu' in 1955, Devarajan went on to compose immortal tunes for fifty years, He worked with ONV Kurup to compose the music for `Kaalam Marunnu' in 1955. It was a film that altered the course of Malayalam film music as it brought together two creative minds who transformed Malayalam film music The songs of `Kaalam Marunnu' were recorded in three days at Merryland Studio in Thiruvananthapuram. "A tabalist Palaniswamy arranged the orchestra. K.S. George, KPAC Sulochana, Kamukara Purushothaman, Lalitha Thampi and Santha P. Nair rendered the songs. The songs were all popular," he recalls.
During the last 50 years, Devarajan scored the music for nearly 400 films and innumerable plays.He has created songs of astounding variety As a composer , his ability to blend harmoniously the best from folk, Carnatic, Hindustani and traditional music made him a great musician.

While participating in a `Meet the Press' programme at Press Club in Thiruvananthapuram. Mellisai mannar M.S.Viswanathan paid this fitting tribute "I am still a student of music and am walking the path trodden by great men like V. Dakshinamoorthy, Devarajan Master and Baburaj. I had to struggle hard to reach where I am today," .

[html:cc47bcee7f]http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2000/dec/07roj1a.jpg[/html:cc47bcee7f]

Rojaramani started her film career in 1965 when she was five in AVM’s Baktha prahaladha and worked till 1981.
She married Chakrapani, an Oriya actor,stayed at home for two years, then started working again, as a dubbing artiste. to Radha, Radhika, Vijayshanti, Poornima Jayaram, Suhasini and many others.She has done over 400 films as a dubbing artiste. Her husband heads the Oriya channel of E TV. Now she is the proud mother of actor Tarun.

Paruvakalam is about an innocent young girl Shantha. S.V.Subbiah is her father Periyasamy who is the watchman in Anandha bavanam, a palace now turned to a guest house. Shantha does all the daily chores at Anandha bavanam.

[html:cc47bcee7f]http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2000/dec/07roj2a.jpg[/html:cc47bcee7f]

Hunter Jambu (Sasikumar),painter Ravi(Sudarsan), horse trainer Jhony, Kanaga (Pramila) the call girl and saamiyaar Nagesh are the regular customers who stay there for every season. Chandran (Kamal) comes and books a room for his brother Gangadharan(Srikanth) who is on bail on a murder case.Everyone treats her like a child. Shantha comes of age and everyone’s behavior has changed towards Shantha .Kanaga who always had a soft corner for this innocent little girl advises her to keep a distance with everyone.Periyasamy an ardent devotee of Ayyappan leaves for Sabarimala On the night before the end of the season, Shantha loses her virginity.She is not able to identify the person.. When her father asks for justice, evryone has left.The manager of Anandha bavanam asks him to wait patiently for the next season. One year has gone. The season comes and so also the regular guests.Shantha now has a child. Who is the father of the child? Pramila sets out to find the truth.When everyone suspects Srikanth, it is Kamal who is the culprit. Shantha and Chandran get married.
Devathai was a good film directed by Menon. Tamil version of Chembarathy, Paruvakalam was directed by Jos Fernando. A.S.Pragasam’s dialogues are noteworthy with sensible portrayal by Rojaramani,Pramila and S.V.Subbiah. Kamalhasan is much like a guest artiste and his name appears last in the long list of actors. The songs are the plus point of the movie.The song “saraNam ayyappa” was a huge hit and took several avatars in the casette market in Kerala. For many years,I thought this was a devotional song.

It’s early morning…sun is rising…Like a flower Shantha sings this song in the garden.
One of Devarajan’s songs goes like this "manninte athmavilninnu ponmuthu eduthutharam njaan." .."take out the pearls from the soul of the earth... "
Here is one of such rare pearls!

veLLi rathangaL azhagu mEgam
sellum veedhi sivantha vaanam
paavai nenjin iLamai raagam
paada vanthathu paruvakaalam

Movie:Paruvakalam.
Singer : P.Madhuri
Released on 9-2-1974
Banner: Jupiter art movies
Actors:Rojaramani, Kamalahasan,Pramila,Srikanth,Sasikumar,Surulirajan ,Sachchu,Sudarsan and others.
Lyrics:Pulamaip piththan, Poovai Senguttuvan.
Music:G,Devarajan.
Story , Dialogues: A.S.Pragasam.
Produced bySekar raja
Direction:Jos A.N.Fernando

other songs:
saraNam ayyappa - Rajesh and co
velvettu pattu katti -L.R.Eswari.

Here is the happy version of veLLi rathangaL

http://www.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=195941

With the child crying in her hands, Shantha sings the sad version of the song!

http://www.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=195944[/tscii:cc47bcee7f]