View Full Version : Pick of the week: 1 Mar to 5 Aug 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

RC
20th November 2005, 10:06 PM
Thats a great job done well, Ramki!

Naaz
20th November 2005, 10:20 PM
Ramki -

A fine job. The baton from bb has been passed on to very capable hands, and we are the richer for it. I look forward to many years of fine discernment from you. Best wishes to the in-house DJ!

Naaz

balaji
21st November 2005, 05:34 AM
My heartfelt Congratulations.

Your every pick has affected. Some I heard for the first time and loved them instantly, Many brought back my lovely memories, some I did not like that much then and now..

However each and every one did make an impression on me, which only reflects your sincere and careful selection.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Bala

NOV
21st November 2005, 09:29 AM
Today POW celebrates its first birthday. I cannot believe a year has gone so fast and the fact POW lasted one year. :o Congratulations Ramki on the great hosting for the last one year! I am sure there will be plenty more...

I am one of those 100s who silently enjoy your and others' contributions. All of you are doing a great job; kudos!

SN23
21st November 2005, 10:50 AM
Ramki & Team, congrats on POW's 1st anniversary. Many good songs; quite a few unheard treasures; interesting views and opinions. Keep the boat sailing with alelO alelO ilasA.... :-)

baroque
21st November 2005, 11:55 AM
Ramki, I am listening to 'maanasa sancharare....' by Vani Jayaram!! She sounds so serene and invokes such a inner joy!!
Vani Jayaram pattu(classical or semi-classical) host pannungo Ramki, please!!

thumburu
21st November 2005, 04:25 PM
Ramki, thanks for a nice jolly ride on the nostalgia you have provided by your rare picks :) . Wishing for a never ending journey

tvsankar
21st November 2005, 10:22 PM
Dear Ramki,
My heartiest wishes to your team for the POW!!!! Ungaludaiya picks ellam very rare gems!!!! Ketka mudiyadhu enru ninaitha songs ellam ingae ketkiraen. Thanks a lot for this service!!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

jn
22nd November 2005, 02:35 AM
ramki,
eththanai velai irundhaalum, weekly almost 5 songs pick paNNi, paatu patri oru interesting urai ezhudhi engaLai ellaam magizhvikkum unakku vaazhvil niraiya sandhosham kidaikkattum ena ellaar saarbilum manamaara vaazhththugiren:)
Each song has been a gem indeed:)

From Mars
22nd November 2005, 03:14 AM
Each sing :) mmmmmmm ennamO nadakuthu.

Thanks Ramki. Keep up your good work!

jn
22nd November 2005, 04:13 AM
FM:))))

RC
22nd November 2005, 05:33 AM
ennamo sollikireeenga..onnum puriyala.. :(
ennamo nadakkudhu marmamaa irukkudhu... :roll:

Ramki
22nd November 2005, 06:09 AM
Thank you all for the overwhelming responses . :D

Ramki
22nd November 2005, 06:25 AM
Pick #211

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/sarigama_rb.rm

Song: sarigamapadhani
Film: raaga bandhangaL
Singers : SPB, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: poovai senguttavan
Music: kuNNakudi Vaidhyanathan

I think it was early 80s. It was a friday night and i was waiting eagerly for my weekly treat of 'oliyum oLiyum'. OO started after lots of commercials and after the 'OO' caption todays pick was played. I had no clue about the film but the song captivated me as soon as VJ started 'sa sa'. I couldnt recognize the actors but it was picturised on a bunch of newcomers taking bath in a kovil kuLam. Later i found out that KV is the MD and director of this film and that it also had another wonderful JC solo 'malaro nilavo'.

Todays song was aired frequently on radio after its release. Its always a pleasure to listen to this song.

Baroque, i know this is not a total classical song by VJ, but close to it. :)

RC
22nd November 2005, 09:03 AM
Ramki: am hearing this one after a very long time. SPB sounded different. Is it because of the audio quality?

SN23
22nd November 2005, 10:40 AM
Ramki, Sa ri ga ma pa dha ni is a complete VJ song. SPB could only support her and his jalangaL ellam kept very low in this song.

Poovai senguttuvan wrote the lyrics and you would see a typical tamil scholar's wording through out the song than a kavinayam.

Another VJ song (solo) in this movie is very great. Something starting with Govardan varuvaan kuzhal oodhi. If you get & listen to it, you would second my opinion that this is one of VJ's top 10 best numbers.

I waguely remember that the film was released in safire theatre complex for a morning show. Gopi (Achamillai Achamillai) acted as Hero (salavai thozhilaLi???) and one subhadra (konjam dOri kaN) acted as his pair. Good music and songs alone could not save this movie :-(

yvsmani
22nd November 2005, 12:41 PM
POW first anniversarykku enathu vazhuthukkal.
raaga bandhangal, kovil pura, azhaghu,thisai maariya paravaigal, maanthoppu kiliyae ippadi pala padangal kathai puriyatha vayathil paarththen. aanaal intha padathin pattu (atleast some) manathil endrum nilaiththu irukku. Both 'malaro nilavo malaimagalo" and sarigamapathani are gems of PJ and VJ. Thanks for this song. As SN said its a complete VJ song.

Naaz
22nd November 2005, 09:35 PM
Ramki -

A brilliant selection, but the audio quality of this particular track seems to warp a good portion of the brilliance...Wish somebody would invest to preserve / remaster these rarities...

Malaro Nilavo is one of PJC's finest moments in TFM.

baroque
22nd November 2005, 10:53 PM
Ramki!! Excellent pick!! long long ago i listened to this song! Very pleasing, refreshing sweet song!!

thanks Ramki for Vani Jayaram song!

Others, thanks for the rare songs you have mentioned, I will search and listen to them all!

my salute to virtuous Vani Jayaram!

tvsankar
23rd November 2005, 12:38 AM
Dear Ramki,
The male voice is - Bala Murali Krishna i think.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

baroque
23rd November 2005, 03:13 AM
Usha,
idhu namba lover boy indeed!!
Listen to that humming, his singing of lyrics & swaras....
The way he is rendering 'iraivanai vazhipadavey munnorgal isaiye sirandhadhadhena...' Andal & Lord Ranganatha appadiyee manasu kulirndhu, blessing him with eternal divine voice!!! :D :thumbsup:

Ramki, yeppo yeppo break kedaikkaradho, appovellam i am indulging myself in this treaure! thanks!

Ramki
23rd November 2005, 03:51 AM
My apologies for the poor audio quality. I tried my best :(

Ramki
23rd November 2005, 03:56 AM
Pick #212

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vaarthai_tip.rm

Song: vaarthai illamal oru
Film: thunai iruppaL meenakshi
Singer : PSuseela
Lyrics: Panju arunachalam?
Music: iLaiyaraja

A melancholy solo by PS. While the other solo(sugamo aayiram) became popular todays solo was less aired and less heared.
TIP is a super azhugachi film with Sujatha, Sivakumar etc. The film had another solo by BSS that was along the lines of 'amma pasikkudhe thaiye pasikkudhe' song. Cant the remember the first line though.

balaji
23rd November 2005, 04:41 AM
Thanks Ramki for a great song!

Searching for it too Long!

Great find, hardly see this kind of soothing songs nowadays.

Azhugachi film no doubt, but Sujatha's acting was really good.

Thanks a million

Bala

jn
23rd November 2005, 05:37 AM
Ramki: Two good songs in a row:)
sarigamapadhani is one of my favourite VJ songs:) Almost forgot about it because it has been a long time since I heard it though it is one of the unforgettable gems of VJ:)
There is another song in TIM. Lyrics of vaarthai illamaal reminds me of vaasamilla malaridhu by TR.. adikka varaadheengappa:))
sERRil oru senkazhani
thingaL oru poo malarum by TMS and SJ, I think.

tvsankar
23rd November 2005, 10:22 AM
Dear Ramki,
I am sure idhu Bala murali krishna voice dhan.ENaku ninaivu iruku.RAdiovil kettu irukaen.Sometime sila songs ellam pidikaradho,pidikalaiyo manadhil irukum.BMK voice il sila film songs appadi manadhil padhindhu iurku. :lol:
In film Navarathinam there is a song sung by BMK with VJ music by Kunnakudi.Andha timeil vnadha songaga idhuvum irukalam.
Kuruvikaran pondati .

Ippodhu kuda SPB ku voice il indha alavirku age agalai.Therinjavanga yaravadhu confirm pannunga :lol:

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

tvsankar
23rd November 2005, 10:28 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song.Beautiful composition by IR!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

tvsankar
23rd November 2005, 10:32 AM
Dear baroque,
Voiceai nalla gavaninga.ADhu BMK voice dhan.I am sure.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Naaz
23rd November 2005, 10:18 PM
Ramki -

PS always does such tunes with an interesting stoicism. It always feels as if she is standing outside the character (in the film) and actually deciphering the meanings behind the expressions. I like PS for this "stylistic" aspect she introduces in many such songs. There is nary a false treble or excessive note, and yet the meloncholy is fully formed, heavy without the heaving.

Thanks for this treasure.

----------

There is great duet by VJ-BMK - Sandhanakkudam Ondru Sathiraaduthu... film? I also recall Kuruvikkaara Machchanae...

baroque
24th November 2005, 05:14 AM
OH, Ramki!! You are spoiling us with your great picks!!
I can get used to it!
Just a reminder, Mr! when you spoil some one, there comes the responsibility of being CONSISTENT!!! :wink: Are U upto it?????????? :D
It is a wonderful selection, rarest of rare early Ilayaraja! I am speechless! just amaidhyaa quite down! manasukku yennavo maary yerukku! :cry:

USA friends, Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
love, Vinatha.

Ramki
24th November 2005, 06:14 AM
Usha shankar its clearly SPB..i think the audio quality makes you think otherwise.

Ramki
24th November 2005, 06:36 AM
Pick #213

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/pani_dp.rm

Song: pani nilave siru malare
Film: deivam pesumaa
Singer : KJYesuodoss
Lyrics: ?
Music: Shankar Ganesh

A very Jolly abraham like KJY song. Its amazing to see how drastically a singer's voice changes over years. I have noticed this change with many singers. Their voice gets better and better as they old. Only few voices, like vanijairams, TMS, jikkis, PBS's remained the same.

I have no other details on deivam pesumaa. Who are the actors? Any other good song?

NOV
24th November 2005, 07:14 AM
Deivam Pesumaa released in 1971, starred sob-king, AVM Rajan and Nirmala.
Another song from the movie is ondrE ondru thEn oorum....

SN23
24th November 2005, 11:47 AM
Ramki, I guess TIP song "Vaarthai illamal" (PS) is a background / asareeri kinda number. some more immediate references are Odam nadhiyinile..., kaatrinile perum kaatrinile... Somehow the lyrics writers commonly used Odam, nadhi, kaatru, padagu etc etc in the background songs. And I even wondered that the singers will not show that much emotions in the songs but the entire song and its picturisation will convey what need to be.

TIP had Setril Oru senkazhunee (TMS+SJ) duet for Vijayakumar and Swarna, Amma pasikkudhe (Sasirekha) for a child, Some therukoothu kinda song (???) + the most famous number of the album "SugamO aayiram" (PS with EG on her VeeNai), an Outstanding song of IR+PS combination (Sujatha motivating Sivakumar).

balaji
24th November 2005, 07:13 PM
Ramki

Is it by SG? To me it sounds more like a G. Devarajan's song! Good pick nevertheless.

Happy Thanks Giving to all in USA

Bala

Ramki
25th November 2005, 06:03 AM
NOV/SN23 thank you for the details

Bala, i rechecked it is by SG

Ramki
25th November 2005, 06:14 AM
Pick #214

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/deviyin_aom.rm

Song: deviyin kovil paravaiyondru
Film: avaLukkendru or manam
Singer : Sjanaki
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music: MSViswanathan

Many of Director Sridhar's films had atleast one song by SJanaki. 'AvaLukkendru or manam' had this.
'malar edhu en kaNgaL' and 'unnidathil ennai' are the first best songs from AOM and todays pick is the second(IMO). "mangaiyaril" comes next.

AOM was a good attempt by KSridhar. It was a bold venture that starts well and gets interesting as the story proceeds but the end sucked big way. IMO this is the only movie Bharathi really 'acted'. She was a revelation.

I had never listened to todays pick until i watched the film on DD few years back. The song is not easily available. I wish some recording company will bring out all these rare gems in CD version. We need to preserve these treasures in digital formats.

balaji
25th November 2005, 07:17 AM
Good Song Ramki! Remember hearing this song in Ilangai Vanoli, but should be in rarest occasions.

However IMHO cannot place this song above Mangayaril Oru Maharani song (best SPB/PS song ever), 'Ellorum Paarka, en Ullasa vazhakai '(Good LRE/MSV combo) and rocking smabar songs 'Aayiram Ninaivu'.

You are right, these rare jems need to be preserved. You are already doing a great service in bringing these songs to the public domain. Thanks to your service

Bala

SN23
25th November 2005, 11:06 AM
Ramki, I think AOM is an early 70's movie. What a change in music of MSV. You see a different emotions in all songs. He used PS, SJ and LRE for one actress Bharati.

1. Malar endhu en kangal by PS (Bharati), a lovely rejuvenating song with good chorus and lovable guitar in background
2. Ayiram ninaivu Ayiram kanavu by SPB (Gemini). Such a youthful song with a tender voice of SPB (Forget GG and forgive Sridhar)
3. Unnidathil ennai koduthen by SJ (Bharati). Nadhaswarm and MeLam in background, you will sense the imagination of wedding by the heroine. SJ sang extremely well though too much of keechal.
4. Mangaiyaril maharani by SPB+PS for GG+Kanchana. The movie version is very grand compared to the radio's, with add-on humming of PS in the beginning and after the 1st charanam. SPB's Telugu accent was very transparent in this song, IMO. PS's voice was perfect match for Kanchana.
5. Deviyin koyil paravai idhu by SJ (Bharati). The second half was full of azhugai. While watched I even got angry at the characterisation of Bharati who succumbs all push & pull of villain Muthuraman. May be Sridhar wanted to create more sympathy in viewers.
6. Ellorum paarka en ullasa vAzhkkai by LRE for Bharati. The character kills herself by yielding to pressure of villain for the happy life of her friend Kanchana. This is one of of the main reasons for this NOT-A-HIT film. LRE's voice started getting karakarappu in this season, which really irritates.
7. ManamelAam un kovil mandapam by SJ (Kanchana). A slogam kinda song, Kanchana waits for Bharati to join her doing Poojai, but Bharati is giving company to Muthuraman in a club. Song starts with Kanchana and Kum.Rukmini doing poojai. Interludes shows the Bharati's break-dance.

Music tops the film's attributes but weak story with over sympathy seeking story made this film uniteresting after the 1st half.

madhu
25th November 2005, 02:47 PM
HI SN23...

super writeup..

but there is one more final song.. ( oru azhugai jail song)
"oLi vazhangi maRaiginRa kaRpooram
udal urugi oLi veesum mezhuguvarthi.."

something goes like this...

Neel D
28th November 2005, 02:09 AM
Ramki,

Thanks for the lovely song "pani nilavE siRu malarE". Listening to it after a million years. A soothing composition by Shankar-Ganesh, rendered with silky softness and clarity by Yesudas.

Ramki
28th November 2005, 05:54 AM
SN23 thank you for the excellent write up.

Ramki
28th November 2005, 06:03 AM
Pick #215

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/isaipaadi_anbu.rm

Song: isai paadi vaazhvinba
Film: anbu
Singer : MLVasanthakumari
Music: TRPappa

Today's song is my mom's request :). When my parents visited us in the summer , i mentioned to her about POW.
You should host 'isaipaadi' she said(and few other songs that im still searching).
'what is so great about that song?' i asked.
'Apart from MLV's great singing the song was also a popular number in 'poNNu paarkum padalam'. Most of the girls sang this song as it was considered a lucky one :)' she replied.
A great fan of Travancore sisters , she mentioned 'anbu had' sivaji, padmini, Lalitha,TRRajakumari, Balaiyya, rushyendramani etc.
Todays pick is picturised on a less known actress whose name my mom did not remember.

rajraj
28th November 2005, 07:26 AM
Ramki: Good choice! anbu(1953) had a few lyricists- kaa.mu.Sheriff,vindhan,suradhaa, kambadhasan,paapanasam sivan and a couple of others. For those who do not know Travancore sisters, they are Lalitha,Padmini and Ragini who started their career as bharathanatyam dancers and moved on to movies. I think this was a dance piece( not sure). Let me know what MLV songs you are looking for. If I have it I will send you.

SN23
28th November 2005, 10:07 AM
Ramki, great melody by MLV. Enakku avar kural romba pidikkum. vazha vazha-nnu oru velvet pOndra voice. vilAngu meen pOla kaiyil pidikka mudiyAdhu. Mei marandhu kEttEn. Thanks a lot.

Is this for Padmini or Lalita? MLV sang many songs for TVKR sisters, esp Padmini. Romba gana kachidhamA porundhum.

Was Adal kANeerO sung by MLV? Can anyone please confirm....?

rajraj
28th November 2005, 10:20 AM
Was Adal kANeerO sung by MLV? Can anyone please confirm....?

Yes! In madhurai veeran .

thumburu
28th November 2005, 05:45 PM
Yes "Aadal Kaneero " is by MLV indeed. A great song in Charukesi

baroque
29th November 2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks to Ramki's mom! :D

My favorites are

1. Varugiral unnai thedi....What a Song in Atana!!

2. ellam inbamayam......in simmendra

Ramki
29th November 2005, 04:49 AM
raj/SN23

I again confirmed it with my mom today. The song is not a dance song. Its a ponnu parkum song. Some one comes to 'see' TRRajakumari's sister who sings this song. My mom said that sivaji will walk past the crowd into the another room and padmini will follow him.
She also added that the scene was quite 'forward' for those days because, the girl does not sit on the floor or a mat but she sits on a chair in front of the guy and sings the song.

Ramki
29th November 2005, 05:02 AM
Pick #216

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/urvasi_uk.rm

Song: urvasi menagai
Film: ?
Singer : BSSasirekha or BVasantha?
Music: ?

Thanks to Neel for this rare and cute song. He writes:

"Urvasi Menagai" hit the airwaves through All India Radio some time in the very late 70s. It disappeared very soon afterwards. But for whatever reason this song has stayed on my mind ever since. I came across this song again few months ago.

It is a nice and simple western composition. Very enjoyable. Not sure if it is an original. The singer sounds like B.S.Sasirekha. Not sure if it is her. The film, music director and the lyricist are unknown, to me at least. Please share if you have any information about this song.

thenraja
29th November 2005, 07:43 PM
Ramki/Neel,
Thanks for a nice song.
I remember listening to "urvasi menagai" on the Radio years ago. I think it is BS Sasirekha. I could not recollect any other details.

Ramki
30th November 2005, 06:17 AM
Thank you Thenraja

balaji
30th November 2005, 06:32 AM
Ramki

Nice song indeed. Is it by any chance the MD is Joesph Krishna for the movie 'Karuna Murthy'?

Anyways, thanks once again

Bala

Ramki
30th November 2005, 06:32 AM
Pick #217

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thanga_kam.rm

Song: thanga doraiye
Film: kadavuL amaitha medai
Singer : SPShailaja
Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam?

A sweet lullaby by SPS. Compared to the extremely popular 'mayile mayile' and reasonably familiar ' thendrale nee pesu', todays pick was less , very less aired .
I think the song is picturised on haja shereiff who played a blind boy brought up by Sivakumar.
Another good song from KAM thats lesser popular than todays pick is 'hey thaNNi'(SJ, IR).

Btw is it thanga dhuraiye or thanga thuraiye(like SPS sings)?

balaji
30th November 2005, 07:29 AM
I think "Vaali" is the lyricist for all the songs in KAM

Nice song in spite of SPS.

How much we all miss this IR

Bala

rajraj
30th November 2005, 10:04 AM
Btw is it thanga dhuraiye or thanga thuraiye(like SPS sings)?

'dhuraiye' is the common pronunciation.

Naaz
30th November 2005, 11:32 AM
Neel D / Ramki -

Thanks for finding and featuring Oorvasi Menakai. I have not heard this song in many years, and have little or nothing to add to the details. The main voice is Sasirekha's. I have no other way to locate its place in time... It must be somewhere between Aboorva Raagangal and Gayatri!

Neel D
1st December 2005, 04:48 AM
Ramki/thenraja/balaji/Naaz,

Urvasi mEnagai continues to be a mystery twentyfive years and internet later. Wish someone can unravel the mystery....

jn
2nd December 2005, 01:34 AM
ramki: nalla thaalattu paatu..listening to it after a very long time..engerundhu indha songs pidikkire?:)
KAM naa mayile mayile thaan gnyaabgam varum:)
SPS has done a good job, I think.

Ramki
2nd December 2005, 05:18 AM
Bala/raj/Naaz/Neel/jn

Thank you

Ramki
2nd December 2005, 05:46 AM
Pick #218

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kaalai_mog.rm

Song: kaalai thendralil
Film: mangai oru gangai
Singer : SJanaki
Lyrics: MGVallaban
Music: Laxmikanth Pyarelal

A beautiful song. A madras-B favorite(7.15am slot).I like both the male(Dinesh) and female versions of the song.
After the success of 'paNNeer nanaindha pookaL', LP gave this hit with the same pair of Nadhiya-Sjanaki. But Unlike uyire unakkaga, which had excellent songs, MOG had only this hit song.
A duet by SPB-chitra and a chitra solo are other songs from MOG.

'MOG" had Saritha, Nadhiya, Suresh etc. The storyline was similar to 'gouravam' and i think it was directed by Malayalam film director Hariharan. The film did not do well.

P.S: The audio quality is so so at the beginning but it gets better after the first pallavi

From Mars
2nd December 2005, 10:07 AM
Ramki,

Chitra's solo 'Acham illa paadhaiyil ellorum selvOmE'.
Dinesh version is also really good.

I watched movie, but I only remember these songs only :)

Neel D
2nd December 2005, 08:07 PM
Ramki,
I couldn't play the song. The link did not work.

----------

Works now. Thank you. Lovely song.

Thiru
3rd December 2005, 06:21 AM
ramki, by the title of the song I thought I'm going to listen to a new song because I knew this song only as 'neeradi vaa thendrale'... I remember this song being played a few hundred times in madras B radio... nice song though..

madhu
3rd December 2005, 02:50 PM
Hi Ramki..

I think there are two duets in the film..
one for suresh and nadhiya and the other one for Prithviraj and a new girl.. "azhagiya nilavidhu aruginil ulavudhu.. iLam manam urugudhu ingE..."

Ramki
5th December 2005, 06:34 AM
Thanks everyone for additional details

Ramki
5th December 2005, 06:45 AM
Pick #219

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/unkadhai_bp.rm

Song: un kadhaithaan en kadhaiyum
Film: bandha paasam
Singers : PSuseela, SJanaki
Lyrics: Mayavanathan?
Music: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

A 'male bashing' song by PS and SJ. SJ ,singing for Devika, sounds very subdued , compared to PS singing for Savithri.
I think sivaji and Gemini are their respective jodis. I believe 'bandha paasam' did not do well at the B.O, but like all Bimsingh movies the film had good songs.

'idhazh mottu virindhida'(PBS,PS)
'kavalaigaL kidakattum'(TMS,PBS)
'nitham nitham maarugindrathethanaiyo'(SG)
'pandhal irundhaal kodi padarum'(TMS, SJ).

I havent watched BP so do not know the song situation or the story line. Help? anyone?

madhu
5th December 2005, 06:28 PM
Hi Ramki !

is "eppo vachikkalam adhai eppadi vachukkalam" by Chandrababu is from Bandhapasam ?

Ramki
6th December 2005, 06:42 AM
Madhu yes. I think it was picturised on chandrababu and sukumari

Ramki
6th December 2005, 06:54 AM
Pick #220

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thai_npm.rm

Song: thaai paadum paatuthaane
Film: Naam pirandha mann
Singers : PSuseela, VaniJairam

A beautiful melody . Great lyrics and excellent singing makes every listening of this song pleasurable. I like the way the song ends with the 'aararo'
A gentle playful sandai between a madhani(KRVijaya) and her naathanaar(Fatafat Jailakshmi).
'naam pirandha mann' was the first film sivaji acted with a grown up kamalhassan. The story line is quite similar to shankar's 'Indian'.
The film also had Gemini Ganesan. I'm not sure who played kamal's jodi.
What are the other songs from NPM?

baroque
6th December 2005, 08:39 AM
Ramki, thanks! :)

SN23
6th December 2005, 12:39 PM
Bandha paasam: Ramki, I too felt that SJ (Devika) sang in very low tone. In her solos, it would not be evident, but it is very much felt in female duets (60s and 70s). The singing lacked the basic bhavam, IMHO. But still a good song. My picks are 'idhazh mottu virindhida' (PBS,PS) and 'kavalaigaL kidakattum' (TMS,PBS). TMS sang very well in Kavalaigal song.

Naam pirandha mann is a A.Vincent/D.Yoganand combination film??. Completely confused story line, though the acting skills of Sivaji, "Meendum" Gemini, KRV & Fatafat were brilliant. Kamal over-acted for that adangadha magan role. Never it was inspiring. Reena (Tirisoolam fame; introduced in AvaL oru thodarkadhai with name Vinodhini) acted in miniature role as English Durai’s wife.
Music was very average, to my ears, though PS+VJ duet was interesting in terms of kongu thamizh (??) usage of words.

NPM had two more songs, if am correct

1. Annai bhagavadhikku thannai koduthu vittu (PS solo for KRV). Reena stands near KRV, while she sings the song; looking at Amman’s face, Reena she gets thrilled to see KRV’s face on Amman’s roopam. But this feel of Reena was not used anywhere in the movie.

2. Aasai pOvadhu vinnilE (SPB for Kamalahasan). Ok sort of song.

To some extend, the storyline of NPM was Xeroxed for “Indian” (Kamal/Shankar combination)

thumburu
6th December 2005, 03:20 PM
NPM- Might be just a tweak of "Mother India" .
"aasai povadhu viNNile" is a formulaic song where the charanam is just follows the same tune of pallavi with a slight tonic shift. If one gives the pallavi starting line and charanam starting line, the entire song can be completed.Is the SJ solo "ninaivi thorum neenda naatkal vaazhuven" also from NPM?
Ramki, many thanks for "oorvasi menagai" . It used to be mine and my sister's fav song to sing . Even without listening to it, I could recollect the entire pallavi. It was not a hit, yet songs like this one, "ore mugam nilaa mugam", "poonthottam", "maalai iLa manadhin aasai" etc were more dearer to me than the super hit songs like "ennadi meenakshi" etc.

SN23
6th December 2005, 04:42 PM
PuNNiya Bhoomi (Sivaji in dual role, Vanisree, Y.Vijaya) was the box-office-bomb re-make of Mother India. SJ's Ninaivu pOdhum is also from PuNNIya Bhoomi only (MSV MD).

jn
6th December 2005, 09:07 PM
Ramki: thanks for this nice one by PS and VJ.
I forgot the story line...but I remember Gemini returning back to visit Sivaji after a long time. Gemini's eye sight is lost and Sivaji and KRV will try to hide their poverty from gemini...

SN23: thanks for info on the ninaivu pOdhum neenda naatkaL vaazhuven... I was asking around for the movie of this song...
Ramki, Pls host if you find it.

Ramki
7th December 2005, 05:48 AM
SN23 thank you for all the details.

Thumburu 'ore mugam'??Which movie?

JN will do :)

Ramki
7th December 2005, 06:07 AM
Pick #221

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ponne_min.rm

Song: ponne boomiyadi
Film: manidharil ithanai nirangaLaa
Singers : SJanaki, VaniJairam
Music: Shyam

By now you might be wondering whats all with female duets. I'm kind of trying something here. Hope you will all like it.

'poNNe boomiyadi' and 'indha peNNodu' are the only duets by SJ and VJ(that i know of). I already hosted 'indha peNNodu'.
So we have ponne boomiyadi for today. A beautiful song by Shyam.
He might have chosen the best singers of 70s thinking they will be picturised on two leading heroines. Well the song was for Sridevi and Manorama. Since sri was the stalwart here , she will lip sync most of the song. Which means she will lip sync to both sj and vj's voice(and so will Mano). It will be really hilarious to see the voice change for every few seconds:).
The other good song is 'mazhai tharumo en megam' for ??? and sridevi.
Did kamal have any song in this film?

Can anyone guess the next pick?

balaji
7th December 2005, 07:53 AM
Ramki

Nice Song!

Isn't there a Mallu version with the same singers? Also didn't SJ & VJ have a ladai during the recording of this song?

Next possible songs
a. Kannadi amma un Idhayam - Padha Poojai - PS/VJ
b. Idho Idho En Nenjilie -- Vattathukul Sadhuram - SJ/BSS

Bala

RR
7th December 2005, 10:47 AM
Ramki

'mazhai tharumo' was for Murali Mohan (who will lip out-of-sync for this song).

I know one song for Kamal: 'maamaa.. manasu innikku nallaale' (in full 'thaNNi', and in raj-kiran 'getup').

I saw the movie in a 'tent kottagai' theatre. Strangely I remember only the picturisations of these 3 songs, and nothing else about the movie!

SN23
7th December 2005, 11:40 AM
Ramki, one of the beautiful female duets in TFM. As you said, most of the lines are for Sridevi and Manorama gets confined to adhu sari adhu sari and few more like ninini nijamadi nijamdi...

Ramki, mazhai tharumO is for MuraLi Mohan (Telugu actor). Humming by SPS for Sridevi??

I think there is one song by MVD for Kamal (starting line....??)

SJ+VJ sang 3 more songs apart from your 2.

1. From 24 mani neram. "Kalloori mANavarA" (For NaLini and ??)
2. From Thanga Magan. "MachAna pAradi machamuLLa ALadi"(SJ for PoorNima Jayaram and VJ for Silk Smitha)
3. From Aruvadai nAL: "ChinnapoNNu" for Prabhu(MVD), Pallavi(SJ) and Raasi (VJ)

As you have aired duets among PS, VJ and SJ, my guess your next will be the one and only Triplet combination of PS+VJ+SJ from pondAtti Sonna kEttukkaNum (VandhaLe....), Honour by Chandrabose. Here too that gOlmAl of singer for actress. Song starts with SJ for Bhanupriya, then by VJ for Devisri and then PS for Kovai SaraLa. But in charanam, PS sings for BP and SJ for KS. ConfusionO Confusion :-)

SN23
7th December 2005, 11:43 AM
Hey Ramki,

Got this bit of news (1998) from “The Hub Archive Forum Index -> Permanent Topics -> TFM Stories, Tit-Bits and Anecdotes”
-------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Ramki (@ cs51*) on: Thu Apr 9 16:19:47 EDT 1998

'Manidharil ithanai nirangala'padathin 'ponnen boomiyadi' paadal padhivu. SJanakiyum,Vanijairamum singers. Padhivum podhu iruvarkkul enne sandai aerpattadho paadalai naduvil niruthi paadamatoom endru veetukku kilambivittargal. bayandhu poivittar MD Shyam. Aenendraal padapidippu nadatha andha paadal udanae thevai pattadhu. Iruvar veetukkum poi kaal kaiyil vizhundhu kenji iruvaraiyum studiokku kooti varuvadharkkul paadhi vayasaagivittadhu manidharukku. VJ -SJ prachanai ella MDkkum theriyavandhudhu. Iruvaraiyum adhurkkappuram yaarum serndhu paada azhaikka thayanginaargal. 'aruvadai naal' padathin 'chinnaponnu chinnaponnu' paadalai mudhalil SJ MV Chitra vaithu padhivu seidhar IR. Piragu chitra paaduvadhai mathiram Vanijairamai paada vaithu padhivu seidhar IR. Indha prachanai therindho theriyamalo Chandrabose 'pondatti sonna ketkanum' padathukku indha iruvar + P Suseela moondru peraiyum oru paadalukku azhaithar. Bookambam vedikkum endru edhirpartha podhu iruvarum prachanai edhuvum seiyaamal paadivittu sella, CBkku nimmadhi perumoochu Source'kalkandu','kumudam'.

-----------------------------------------------

Actual link:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/archive/viewtopic.php?t=6&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=0d69d00962961a6d198a0a0a2b5c8ec1

Go down and down to get this post.

------------------------------------------------

Was it posted by you ? :lol:

LordLabakuDas
7th December 2005, 12:02 PM
next...
oru kili urugudhu..
kannukulley yaaro...
amudhey thamizhey..
thamthana thamthana..

RR
7th December 2005, 04:17 PM
As you have aired duets among PS, VJ and SJ, my guess your next will be the one and only Triplet combination of PS+VJ+SJ from pondAtti Sonna kEttukkaNum (VandhaLe....)
The theme seems to be jOdi maatram. In that case, the next has to be a SJ duet.
SJ+Jikki -> manjaLum thanthaaL ?
with SPS -> all seem to be popular songs
with dont-know-who -> varave varaatha (a popular song in Mars) ?
any with LRE? UR?

SN23
7th December 2005, 04:31 PM
RR, it all started with PS+SJ (bandha paasam), then PS+VJ (Naam pirandha mann) and SJ+VJ (Manidharil....). So, i guess the next might be a combo all these 3 great kuyilgaL :)

enna Ramki, seekiram mudichai avizhunga :wink:

tvsankar
7th December 2005, 07:45 PM
Dear Ramki,
Nalla song!!!! Radiovil ketta ninaivu..Morning school kelambum podhu,time therindhu kolla ovvoru stationaga,change panni kondae irupom.Schoolku time anal, piditha song enralum , school ku oda vendiyadhu dhan!!!, Indha songai first timeaga vaitha podhu, muzhudhum ketka mudiyamal schoolku pona ninaivu!!!
The song 'Orae mugam,nila mugam'
is in the film 'Oppandham' by Srikanth and Sripriya.MD is IR.
Last month i have watched this movie
in Raj tv.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

jn
7th December 2005, 11:59 PM
enna ramki, pudhusaa pudhir laam pOda aarambichittiye:)

From Mars
8th December 2005, 12:08 AM
RR :)
in Mars, indha songs ellam popular illai :lol:

jn
8th December 2005, 12:41 AM
Mars le yaarume kEttirukkaadha songs, MD and singers ke maRandhu pOna songs thaane popular?:)

Ramki
8th December 2005, 06:29 AM
SN23 you make it look so easy :). You got the next pick perfectly right. I will upload the song tomorrow(Im having problem accessing yahoo briefcase where i have the song saved).

I never knew the duet in 24 mani neram.

Yes its my post :)

Usha shankar, thanks for the info on 'ore mugam'

jn, FM :)

SN23
8th December 2005, 10:22 AM
Devar Films style-il, vetri vetri vetri :lol:

Ramki
9th December 2005, 05:36 AM
Pick #222

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vandhaaLe_psk.rm

Song: vandhaaLe therkku seemaiyile
Film: poNdatti sonna kettukanum
Singers : PSuseela, SJanaki, VaniJairam
Lyrics: Vairamuthu
Music: Chandrabose

The only song that brought the 3 TFM kuyils together. The song was picturised on Banupriya, Kovai SaraLa and Devisree. There was one more girl in the scene..Bala??? something.
I think chandrasekhar was one of the heroes.

From Mars
9th December 2005, 05:57 AM
Is it sivakumar or Nasar?

Thiru
9th December 2005, 08:29 AM
I think the movie had Charlie - kovai sarala, sivakumar-banupriya, chinni jayanth(??) - Devishree and vetri with the other heroine as the cast.. Koundamani paired with manorama as the parents of these 3 brothers.. I remember this song pretty well.. Its a typical V. sekar movie on dowry and family problems...

SN23
9th December 2005, 11:15 AM
Ramki thanks for this song. Though not very great tune, 3 legends singing together is really an wonder. I am very sure that all 3 would have sung separately via track recording to avoid ladAi :lol:

Somehow I am comfortable watching films of medium budget directors like Visu, V.Sekhar. Even KB was pioneer in that category :-)

V.Sekhar's padaippugaL ( :lol: ) pin varumAru :

NeengaLum HerOdhAn (1990) with Nizhalgal Ravi
Pondatti Sonna KEttukkanum (1991) with Chandrasekar & Bhanupriya, Chinni Jayanth & Devisri, Charlie & Kovaia sarala, Gowndamani & Manorama
NAn Pudicha MAppiLLai (1991) with Nizhalgal Ravi & Aishwarya, Janakaraj
Parvathi Ennai Paradi (1993) with Saravanan & Sriparvathi
Porandha VeedA Pugandha VeedA (1993) with Sivakumar & Bhanupriya (BP with aged Siva; kaduppachu)
Varavu EttaNa Selavu PathaNa (1994) with Nazar & Radhika, Vadivelu & Kovai Sarala
NAn Petha MaganE (1995) with Nizhalgal Ravi & Radhika, Oorvasi (who was her pair??)
KAlam MAripOchu (1996) with Pandiarajan & Sangeetha
EllamE En PondAttithan (1998) with Ramki & Sangavi
ViralukkEththa Veekkam (2000) with Nazar & Kushboo (akkramam)
Koodi VazhndhAl KOdi Nanmai (2000) Nazar & Kushboo (again akkramam)

Out of all above, I rate nAn pudicha mApiLLai a different one, giving heavy character to Janakaraj.

Suddenly VS went out of his track and directed Aei (Sarthkumar & Namitha). Hopeless switch-over for VS with SK looking very tired throughout the movie except in those wet scenes with Namitha.

Look at the interview of Sekhar in the Hindu, sometime back.
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2003/12/22/stories/2003122201120300.htm

On this PoW, I find PS’voice sounded leading though it was getting aged. Unfortunately this VVVVVV.Rare song was not picturised properly. PS as well as SJ singing for both Sarala & Bhanupriya.... :-(

Ramki, continue with series to keep up the expectation of us :-)

RR
10th December 2005, 11:14 AM
SN23,
Aei was directed by Venlatesh (masala mannan). V.Sekar also directed namma veettu kalyanam, aalukkoru aasai - both were big flops. 'viralukketha veekkam', 'koodi vaazhthaal kodi nanmai' range-il, I heard next he wants to take up 'aathi choodi', so next movie may be 'aram seyya virumbu' (or aRam seyya virumbu), aaruvathu sinam, etc..

SN23
10th December 2005, 12:12 PM
RR, you are correct. Venkatesh directed Aei, but Sekhar produced the film. The article by Hindu says that too.

// 'aram seyya virumbu' (or aRam seyya virumbu), aaruvathu sinam, etc..//

:rotfl:

rajdes
10th December 2005, 04:53 PM
RR/SN, one of these had IR's music - which was that one, do you remember?

Ramki
10th December 2005, 07:34 PM
SN23
in naan petha magane oorvasi was NR's pair. Radhika played the other woman. Manoram was the mamiyaar.

rajdes,
'pugundha veeda porandha veeda' had music by IR

From Mars
10th December 2005, 08:58 PM
there is one more movie, pongalO pongaL with viknesh, sangeetha etc.

who directed 'peNkaL veetin kaNkaL?' ?

RC
10th December 2005, 09:34 PM
PengaL veetin KaNgaL was directed by TP Gajendran, I think.
Wasnt oNNa irukka kathukkanum also by V.Sekar with Sivakumar, Nazar(?), Manorama in the cast?

Thiru
10th December 2005, 11:17 PM
PengaL veetin KaNgaL was directed by TP Gajendran, I think.
Wasnt oNNa irukka kathukkanum also by V.Sekar with Sivakumar, Nazar(?), Manorama in the cast?

Yes..onna irukka athukkanum was by V. Sekar... Varavu Ettana selavu pathana was the biggest hit of his career.. There was another movie, kaalam maari pochu starring Pandiyarajan, R.sundarrajan and vadivelu which was also by V. sekar

From Mars
11th December 2005, 06:34 AM
what about poranthaalum aampiLaa porakka koodaathu?

RR
11th December 2005, 03:04 PM
RR/SN, one of these had IR's music - which was that one, do you remember?
'paarvathi ennai paaradi' is also by IR..

vel1970
11th December 2005, 09:04 PM
[tscii]

On this PoW, I find PS’voice sounded leading though it was getting aged. Unfortunately this VVVVVV.Rare song was not picturised properly. PS as well as SJ singing for both Sarala & Bhanupriya.... :-(

SN23: I agree with you on the better voice in this song. PS had that pride. But SJ was given more prominence than PS & VJ. In second para PS had just one line. Say is there "go with the mass". Since SJ was still singing more in early 90's than other, she was given lead singing by Chandrabose.

Ramki
12th December 2005, 06:12 AM
Picks #223 and 234

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/nenjil_em.rm
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/achamillai_em.rm

Songs: nenjil uramumindri\achamillai achamillai
Film: ezhavadhu manidhan
Singers : Rajkumar Bharathi\SPB
Lyrics: Mahakavi Bharathiar
Music: Lvaidhyanathan

Two songs to remember the mahakavi on his birth date. When we speak of 'ezhavadhu manidhan' only songs by KJY come to our mind. Todays pick are not commonly heard songs. "achamillai" is a very different attempt by LV and RB shines in 'nenjil uramumindri'. RB also sang the nalladhor veenai song in this film.
I think 'ezhavadhu manidhan' was the first tamil film by Malayalam film director Hariharan. A very thin looking Raghuvaran made his debut too. Unfortunately the film did not very well. It had the artsy film look and feel and you know how much our folks hate such films.

The songs were outstanding..'kakkai chiraginile' and 'veenaiyadi nee enakku' are two wonderful songs. LV, unfortunately, did not not do many films. I remember the wonderful songs he did in 'kavidhai paada neramillai' . His other tamil films are 'vaazhthungaL', 'lottery ticket' 'Dasarathan'.
His bgm for 'pesum padam', 'sandhya raagam' ,'marupakkam' etc won him critical acclamation

rajutvs
12th December 2005, 12:58 PM
Bandha Paasam movie is something like this. SG and GG are brothers and SVR is the father who is a rich person.Devika is a writer and Savithri helps her financially for education etc. GG-Savithri are lovers at college.
SVR loses all money and becomes poor. SG and GG try to recover. Misunderstanding between Savithri and GG comes up when she realises that GG has lied her that he is rich (before he became poor). Devika is helped financially by Savithri and Devika loves SG but SG does not respond. They both sing this song then..

In one of the interviews of Kamal, I heard that Indian was inspired from NPM.

rajdes
12th December 2005, 03:05 PM
tvs raju - are you the yesteryear MD, by any chance?
Sure I have seen this name as MD in some movie title.
Ramki/RR, thanks for the reply. I remember PEP, that one which had a clone of, of all people, Captain, in the lead as a romantic hero :-). Moondru scenegalukku appuram velinadappu seidhom.(Avvalavu neram thaanginadhe persusu!)

RR, now, do you know the movie which had TVS Raju as MD. I am pretty sure there was one, which I saw in DD and he also had a weird looking adaimozhi which too I have forgotten.

From Mars
12th December 2005, 08:34 PM
Ramki,

there is one more movie by LV, 'ninaivE ennai nerungaathE'. One popular song ?? (at least in Mars) is 'sangamam nam sangamam' by KJY & KS.Chitra. The other songs in that movie are so so

12th December 2005, 11:29 PM
Which year did Ezhavadhu Manithan get the National Award?

thenraja
13th December 2005, 12:05 AM
RR, now, do you know the movie which had TVS Raju as MD. I am pretty sure there was one, which I saw in DD and he also had a weird looking adaimozhi which too I have forgotten.
Are you thinking of T.V. Raju who was the MD for "kanimuththu paappa"?

jn
13th December 2005, 03:49 AM
Ramki: Nice songs for remembering the bday of the great poet, esp the ones sung by his great grandson himself though we have different versions of the some of Barathi's songs by other singers.

Naaz
13th December 2005, 06:30 AM
Ramki -

Thanks for unearthing these rare ones. I had not heard both in a very long time. The SPB solo is quite inventive, and one can imagine a hip current MD singing it himself with loads of auto-tuner help. :)

Ramki
13th December 2005, 06:36 AM
Thank you all

* according to Tamilcinema.com, EM came out in 1972

Ramki
13th December 2005, 06:50 AM
Picks #225

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/poo_kn.rm

Songs: poo poothathai yaar paarthadhu
Film: kadhanayagan
Singer : KJYesudoss

Chandrabose can get inspired very easily. 'kaNNan enge' song from his very first film 'madhura geetham' was a direct lift of 'sapna mera toot gaya'.
We have see other instances of his 'inspirations' in POW and other threads.
So can he resist 'flicking' when the film itself is 'copied'? 'kadhanyagan' is tamil remake of 'nadodikattu' (mohanlal). The beautiful 'vaishaga sandhye' tuned by Shyam became 'poo poothadhai'. 'Vaishaga sandhye' is the first malayalam song i learnt completely(every word) just for its beauty.
I was just happy when its tamil version was released (But not very happy with the interludes, CB should have copied the whole song).
Vairamuthu did a good job with the lyrics but somehow i feel KJY is better in the original.
(http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/20/s/movie_name.3627/)

Btw 'kadhanayagan' is an hilarious film. The comedy was so good.Pandiarajan and SVsekar had a good on screen chemistry.
I loved the film. Havent seen the original though. Click here for details on nadodikattu

http://www.desicompany.com/newdesicompany/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1088

rajraj
13th December 2005, 06:53 AM
Ramki,
It was 1982 and the movie got state award.

Thank you all

* according to Tamilcinema.com, EM came out in 1972

rajdes
13th December 2005, 11:05 AM
thenraja, bang on. Yeah, it was TV Raju. My mistake. Now, for the tough one - what was that weird looking adaimozhi he had :-)

Ramki
14th December 2005, 05:33 AM
Thanks raj for catching the typo

Ramki
14th December 2005, 05:48 AM
Pick #226

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/annai_anv.rm

Song: annai thalattu paada
Film: ambigai neril vandhaaL
Singer : PSuseela
Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam

A rare melody by PSuseela .
'kalyaana selai' and 'kaNNithene' are the popular numbers from ANV.
'annai' was mostly deisred by rare song seekers like us.
I did not watch the film but i believe the song is picturised on Radha. If i remember correctly from the reviews i read this the story line: Mohan, a playboy, is a regular 'client' of Uma. One day he lays eyes on Uma's sister Radha, who is not into the profession. He pursues her in name of love , gets her pregnant and walks out. Rest of the film deals with Radha entering Mohans family and marrying him.
Manivannan was the director.
IR rarely used PS for Radha . I remember very few songs in this combination.

'azhage unnai',
'un nenje thottu sollu'
'vaaLai paruvathile'
'pothikittu oothudhadi'
'aapakada annakiLi'

are some of the numbers i can recollect in IR-PS-Radha combo.

Naaz
14th December 2005, 09:33 PM
Ramki -

Thanks for this PS solo. I had all but forgotten it, but now the melody just won't go away. A lovely effort by PS and IR. This brings to mind the SJ/IR "Thalaattu Maari Ponadhae" and (SPB)"Thaenae Thenpaadi Meenae" which were also from the same period? (mid 80s?)
Ambigai Naeril Vandhaal also starred Ambika? Or was that some other film?

From Mars
14th December 2005, 10:23 PM
Ramki, 'un nenja thottu sollu' was not included in the movie, so you can't say :)

jn
15th December 2005, 01:49 AM
Ramki: indeed, this is a rare song... Had no idea about the movie name etc...I just remember listening to it in radio long time back:)

From Mars
15th December 2005, 04:10 AM
jn is this a rare song :)
there is a movie that came in that same period as this movie, 'pudhiya poovithu'. It has a good song 'kalyaaNa paatu naan paada kEttu'. Ramki if you have this song, can you host this at some point in time? I read some where, the story itself was good as well.

Ramki
15th December 2005, 07:55 AM
Naaz,
ANV did not have ambika. Are you talking about 'maNakaNakku'?

thanks JN

FM, ofcourse the song was in the movie. In the song Radha walks through a forest kind of set and nadhiya sings in the bedroom

SN23
15th December 2005, 11:05 AM
Ramki,

PS had sung for Radha under other MDs. One good song is from Iru medhaigal (Appa and PiLLai acted). MSV scored music. PS with SPB sang the duet "nee oru kavidhai... unakk-illayE oru mudhumai". I thought it was for Sivaji, looking at the lyrics, but it was shot on Prabhu (+ Radha).

Yarukku arudhal yaarO (with KJY) and Thodu vaanam vegu dhoorm (solo) from Nyaya tharAsu (Shankar-Ganesh).

I think Ambika appeared in Guest Role (Lawyer) in ANV (Naaz must be correct). ANV came out as part of "Vidhi" type of film series.

In Raajathi Raja, the song Un nenja thottu sollu did not exist, when I saw the movie in India. Just a small BGM of UNTSollu airs showing Radha walking in the jungle road. But during my stay in Singapore, I saw the movie partly in DVD, to my surprise, the song was there. Radha (PS) and Nadhiya (Chitra) sing separetly in different places.

rajutvs
15th December 2005, 01:44 PM
All the *raj*, please I'm not T V Raju. He is a Telegu MD, I suppose.

Naaz
15th December 2005, 08:38 PM
Ramki / SN23

Thanks for the confusion! :lol: I remember Ambika in ANV, but that could have been any film from the period. Was Manakanakku by RC Sakthi? I must have seen that one too.

SN23 -

"Namma Vidhi"-type films-nu sollalaamae? :P

Ramki
19th December 2005, 03:53 AM
Pick #227

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/poo_ponni.rm

Song: poochudi pottum
Film: Ponni
Singers :Jency, SNSurendar, Ashok
Music: Gangai Amaran

There are many Jency fans among us. Im a fan of her songs (not her voice). Except two, all of her tamil songs were under iLaiyarajas music direction. One is 'paniyum naane'(already featured in POW) and todays pick. Ponni, i think, did not get released. I remember seeing Rajalakshmi(shankarabaranam) picture in the stills.
Today's song also features the rarely heard male sing Ashok.GA used him for couple of songs.
The song resembles 'onnum onnum renduthaane'(ellam inba mayam). I'm not sure which came first.

From Mars
20th December 2005, 12:36 AM
There is one more okay song in ponni sung by KJY :)

mmm there are many ??? other OTW in tfm?
Rajeswari (thalaiyai kuniyum thaamaraiyE), Haris (sirakE illatha poonkuruvi), Manjula (unnai thaanE), ?? (RaagavanE ramaNaa ragunaatha)

Ramki
20th December 2005, 07:10 AM
FM include, Ramesh, Dinesh, the girl who sang 'vaarayo vaanmadhi'(pagal nilavu) etc

Ramki
20th December 2005, 07:23 AM
Pick #228

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/muthu_vo.rm

Song: muthamizh charamae
Film: vetrikku oruvan
Singers :TMSoundararajan, SPShailaja

This is one of the worst sivaji films i have ever watched.
I should have stopped When Major, who had acted with sivaji as his friend/villain in many movies and pushpalatha, who has played his daughters role in paar magaLe paar, appear in the first scene as sivajis parents, i should have walked out when sivaji writes love letters to his grandaughter aged sripriya, i should have covered my face when sivaji with naaNam and vetkam ask major to settle his marriage with sri, i should have killed myself when i watched sivaji and sripriya in african attires dancing in the villains den.
Well I did not and i'm here still alive to narrate the horror.
Poor IR. He came up with nice tunes that would suit a kamal or rajini with SPB's voice. But he had to go for TMS who sound just jaded and aged like sivaji.
Another nice song from same film with the wrong singer(male) is 'thoranam aadidum'(TMS/SJ)

tvsankar
20th December 2005, 08:44 AM
Dear Rami,
Sila padangalai patriya ungal comments miga arumai!!! Indha padathirkana ungal comments- padithu vittu, innum sirithu kondae irukiraen.Nanum IR
music enru padam parthu vittu, nondhu ponaen.
Anal songs ellam nanraga irukum.
Thanks for the song!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
20th December 2005, 11:47 AM
Yov Ramki, thaanga mudiyalaippa. Siriththu siriththu vayiru puNNaidiththu :rotfl:

I want to definitely see VO and vai vittu sirikkanum at the scene you described (Sivaji with achcham madam naaNam requesting his parents to marry Sripriya) :lol:

I think you were partial in hitting only Sivaji and TMS. Why the hell IR chose SPS to sing this? Its like a thaththa and pEththi singing together a duet. Kashtamppa :lol: Oru eli kaththarappla SPS paaduvaanga :lol:

In this movie, there are 2 more songs "Aadal pAdalil ulagame mayangAdho" (TMS solo; this is good to listen) and Yaar mAmanO (SJ solo Or duet with TMS??).

Idhai vidunga Ramki.. have you seen a kasmaalam movie called yemanukku yeman, a blend of charaacters frok heaven and earth :lol:. Sivaji played dual roles Yema dharma raaja and a YOUTHFUL guy :lol: with Sripriya. Oru song he dances with Jayamalini... ayyayO thaangadhu :lol:

vel1970
20th December 2005, 10:45 PM
Hi Ramki: according to raakkamma.com, vaarayo vaanmadhi is sung by Ramesh and Vidhya.

Is the singer for "poochudi pottum" (ponni) Jency? It looks like SPSailaja.

Annai thalaattu paada is very nice song, but PS finds bit difficult to go high notes. Strain is evident while return to pallavi.

Ramki
21st December 2005, 06:51 AM
Usha Shankar thanks :)

SN23 'yaar maamano' is a SJ solo picturised on ASakunthala.
I havent watched 'yamanukku yaman'. Its a remkae of NTRs telugu hit. I think YY had a song with Sivaji and 3 apsaras(Jayamalini, jyothilakshmi and vijaylalitha(?))

vel1970 thanks for the info .
'poochoodi' is definitely by Jency.

Ramki
21st December 2005, 07:07 AM
Pick #229

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kaadhal_ovt.rm

Song: paar kaadhal malar
Film: odi viLaiyadu thatha
Singer: LREswari
Lyrics:?
Music: iLaiyaraja/Veda

I think i was in my 4th or 5 th std . I used to travel by pallavan and my hobby was to gaze the posters throught their rusty windows, pasted around panagal park and duraiswamy subway. One poster that i still remember is of sripriya and asokan(with kudumi) together for a weirdly titled film called 'odi viLaiyadu thatha'. I'm not sure if the film was just released or posters of their rerun. But i remember thinking what kind of pairing is that?(asokan and sri).
Neither the songs nor the film became popular.
Years later i discovered a PS solo 'oldellam gold un mandai bald' from OVT.
Then last month one of my anonymous sources sent me this jazzy breezy LRE solo. Until then i thought LRE had sung only one song in IR's music(from 'nalladhoru kudumbam').
When i started searching for further info, i discovered that the song was picturised on Sripriya. SOme of the stills i saw also had Jaiganesh in them. Not sure if he was the hero or villain.

Anyways enjoy this rare LRE solo :)

incissor
21st December 2005, 01:42 PM
dear Vel,
do u mean the song from pagal nilavu?
if it is.....it was sung by Late.Mr.Vijayan.
i rmember this info was given by gangai amaran in a tv interview

SN23
21st December 2005, 02:48 PM
Ramki, this is really a surprise for me. LRE's song under IR in OVT. I knew only one song i.e.; PS's Oldellam goldu. Hats-off to you for the discovery, though this is a typical LRE song (not IR's touches).

There are couple of more songs by LRE under IR.
In Thirukalyanam she sang a duet with Malaysia vasu (not very sure) starts with "Neeee mohini illa illa oorvasi".
In Nallathodu kudumbam, duet with TMS "1 2 chacha cha"
In Idhaythil Or idam, solo starting with "maNapAra chandhayila"

I think VaarayO vaanmadhi is by Ramesh and a female singer (unheard after that). May not be Vidya, who sang quite a few songs (Chemmari aade chemmari aade seivadhu sariyaa sol alongwith BSS).

balaji
21st December 2005, 08:05 PM
Ramki

Neenga Sonna Karekta thaan Irukkum.

Still I am unable to bleieve this is an IR song. It sounds like a VEDHA song what with the arrangements resemble 'AAH AAHBI JAA...' song..

"Oldellam' was very famous when the movie released in 77/78.

Ramk can you please check your source again to see if there was a mistake. Or did the producer used an old song in the movie..?

Bala

tvsankar
21st December 2005, 10:05 PM
Dear Ramki,
Indha paadal patri oru info!!

Bala you are correct!!! Indha paadaluku matum IRum Vedhavum serndhu tune pottadhanga Jaya tv -Then
Kinnam programmeil sonnargal!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Naaz
22nd December 2005, 12:24 AM
Ramki -

This one is a find of the :roll: kind!
The tune (as pointed out by Bala) sure has traces of the AB number from Inteqaam, but LRE here is more parody than pleasure :cry:

Ramki
22nd December 2005, 06:19 PM
The person who send the song also says IR-Veda were the MDs for 'Odi viLaiyadu thatha'.
This is indeed a news to me.

Thanks Usha for the confirmation

balaji
22nd December 2005, 07:22 PM
Ramki/Usha/Naaz

I am pleased to see that even I am able to connect the dots. I am really in seventh heaven.

Thanks
Bala

vel1970
22nd December 2005, 11:45 PM
Ramki, really you don't know who sent that song to you ??? Surprise thaan. Ungala confuse panni vittaangaLa :D "ellam avan seyal".

This song must have been recorded for some other movie earlier even before IR came as MD. The lyrics convey this very much. Later must have been used for OVT film. There are many cases like solai pushpangale etc.

Ramki
23rd December 2005, 06:38 AM
vel1970, some song 'donors' never identify themselves to me. They just send the song using weird accounts. Some will request not to identify them in the thread. I simply honor their request.

Ramki
23rd December 2005, 06:55 AM
Picks #230 and 231

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/andha_nn.rm
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/uyirin_rg.rm

Songs: andha raaman/ uyirin nizhale
Film: nenjamellam neeye/raajangam
Singer: Vani Jairam
Lyrics:Vairamuthu

2 songs from 2 different films. They are closely related in the sense they are by same MD, same lyricist, same singer and for 2 actors that are bharathiraja finds.
While radha, actor in the first song, shot to fame instanctly after her debut in AO, vijayashanthi(rajangam) who made her debut in 'kallukuL eeram' had to wait for fewyears before acheiving superstardom in andhra.
'nenjamellaam' is a forgettable inspiration of 'abhimaan'. Radha was good in jayabhaduris role but Mohan breezed through the role with one single expression(inji thinna ?). Poornima Jairam had an insipid role.The film had some good songs by SG .
'yaaradhu' and 'naaLai mudhal'(Excellent VJ solos)
'vayasupoNNu' and 'oru thamari mottu'(typical SG fare).

'Rajangam' had chandrasekhar, VS, Delhi Ganesh etc. I think DG played the second hero . If i remember correctly , DG rapes VS and she gives birth to his child. Chandrasekhar takes them(VS and kid) under his wing and then blah blah(do not remember much :))

'rosa malare azhuva koodathu' is the male version of the 'uyirin nizhale' by JC.

SN23
23rd December 2005, 10:42 AM
Ramki, is it not Abhimaan? (Jaya Bhaduri with her Big B, acted as singer).

IMO, Radha (as well as Ambika) was one of the talented actress of south indian films. Though she was given glamorous roles during her early stage, she did act in heavy roles. I like her ManakaNakku, Nyaya tharaasu, Of course Mudhal mariyadhai. Unfortuantely in her period, that Mike Mohan was at his peak and paired with Radha in many films.

VJ's very sweet short songs deserves much appreciation. I see a theLivu in her renditon whichever song she sings.

Merry christmas Ramki, Rajaram and Friends :-)

Naaz
23rd December 2005, 09:25 PM
Ramki -

Andha Raaman Sri Naamam is short and soulful. This is the song Radha sings to "pacify" Mohan during hard times in their marriage...and when she sings this under the shade of a tree on a studio lot, she is overheard by Ganesh (of the S-G duo.) He gives her a break - Yaaradhu - and she is a sensational discovery! Yaaradhu is one of the best tunes with the worst picturisation. Keeping it company is another fine tune wasted in visuals, "Rasavae Unna Naan Enniththaan"

I like Uyirin Nizhalae a little less. But I have never been fond of sad, weepy tunes, no matter how emotive or poignant the singing. Uyrin fares a little better than the other version "Roja Malarae" which is in every sense a year-end "bawl-out" :cry:

Season's Greetings to All!

manyu
23rd December 2005, 11:28 PM
I think "Vaali" is the lyricist for all the songs in KAM

Nice song in spite of SPS.

How much we all miss this IR

Bala

Yes, Vaali was the lyricist for all the songs in kadavuL amaitha medai.
Pick #217
Song: thanga doraiye
Film: kadavuL amaitha medai
Singer: SPShailaja
Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam?

-manyu

manyu
23rd December 2005, 11:39 PM
Pick #219

Song: un kadhaithaan en kadhaiyum
Film: bandha paasam
Singers : PSuseela, SJanaki
Lyrics: Mayavanathan?
Music: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

Lyrics: Kavi Rajagopal

manyu
23rd December 2005, 11:43 PM
Pick 203 -
The director of ‘meenakshi kungumam’ is Karaikudi Narayanan

Pick 202 -
The lyricst of the song ‘uruginen uruginen mannane mannane’ is not Vairamuthu. Vaali is the lyricist for all the songs in ‘Anne Anne’

Pick 191 -
Vairamuthu wrote the song ‘mottu vitta vaasanai malli’ (Garuda sowkiyama)

Ramki
26th December 2005, 06:44 AM
SN23 thanks for catching the typo

Manyu thank you for your additions

Ramki
26th December 2005, 07:04 AM
Pick #232

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/annai_an.rm

Song: annaienbavaL neethaana
Film: annai
Singer: PBanumathi
Music: Sudarsanam

Indian filmdom has lost yet another gem from its crown. The multifaceted, multitalented Banumathi passed away yesterday.
One of my favorite actress. She was a better actress than a singer but who can forget gems like 'asaindhadum thendrale', 'maasilaa unmai kadhale' ,'maasila nilave nam', 'kaNNile iruppadhenne', 'poovaagi kaiyaagi', 'thalai vaari poochudi' etc etc.

Her performance in 'rangoon radha' and 'annai' were outstanding.
She received National award for her excellent portrayal in 'annai'. She portrayed the selfishness and obsession of a foster mother with aplomb . Kannadasan's exemplary lines and banumathys acting make today's song a totally memorable one.

rajraj
26th December 2005, 07:57 AM
Ramki: I have posted the lyrics in Bhanumathi thread in MOY section. I will post the lyrics for the other songs you mentioned.

rajeshkrv
26th December 2005, 11:43 AM
a great song and a great lady ..

may her soul rest in peace

Ramki
27th December 2005, 07:20 AM
Thank you Raj and raj

Ramki
27th December 2005, 07:29 AM
Pick #233

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/malli_pk.rm

Song: malligai poo vaangi vandhen
Film: paal kudam
Singer: PSuseela, SPB

'aayiram nilave vaa', 'iyarkkai enum'' and 'malligai poo vaangi vandhen' are the first three songs of SPB to grace the airwaves.
Today's unusual song was not as popular as the other two.

I think 'paal kudam' had AVMRajan and Pushpalatha.

SPB's voice sound so different than what we are used to. Ghantasala's influence is very evident in this song.

thenraja
27th December 2005, 08:19 AM
I think 'paal kudam' had AVMRajan and Pushpalatha.

Yes, But this song is for Sivakumar.

27th December 2005, 02:05 PM
Ramki
Has Ellame En Kaadhali's Uyire Uyire idhu deiveega sambhandamo been featured in pick of the week? if not, is there a quick listing of all featured songs?
thanks

RR
27th December 2005, 03:47 PM

The list is coming up soon.

tvsankar
27th December 2005, 11:28 PM
Dear Ramki.
Thanks a lot for this song!!! Lyric is simple but great!!!

Indha padalail SPB' style konjam A.L.Raghavanai ninaivu paduthum enaku!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Naaz
28th December 2005, 12:55 AM
A cultural icon and a true institution in every sense, the passing of P.Banumathi is a dark hour for Tamizh/Telugu cinema. She wrote, sang, performed, directed...and wore each hat with absolute elan.
Sakalakalaa Vallavi - P. Banumathi is an irreplaceable loss.
Like the rays of the sun - her name's essence - her music, voice and histrionics will always be golden.

Farewell, Madam.

Naaz

Ramki
28th December 2005, 06:03 AM
Thanks thenraja

Prabhu, not yet.

Ramki
28th December 2005, 06:08 AM
Picks #234 and 235

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/madhulai_tp.rm
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/muruga_tp.rm

Songs: madhuLai muthukkaL/muruga enakkoru
Film: thai pirandhaal
Singer: PBanumathy
Lyrics: alangudi somu

Thanks to Neel for sending these rare songs. He writes:

I am not sure if Thaai Piranthaal was ever released. The film has at
least four nice songs, composed by the master MSViswanathan. Two
beautiful solos by P.Bhanumathi which are being featured today, one
lovely solo by S.Janaki, and a duet by PSusheela-LREswari.

The film starred Muthuraman, Saradha and Bhanumathi, going by the
pictures on the record sleeve and the film was made sometime around
1973/1974.

P.Bhanumathi had a sweet, unique voice and style of singing. She will
forever remain as one of the legendary artistes of Tamil/Telugu film
industry.

NeelD i think thai pirandhaaL was released. I remember watching 'muruga enakkoru' song in oLiyum oliyum.

A brief biography on PB from Yesterday's Hindu

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2005/12/27/stories/2005122700900400.htm

rajraj
28th December 2005, 08:14 AM
Ramki: Beautiful songs. I have posted the lyrics for 'muruga' in Bhanumathi thread.

SN23
28th December 2005, 11:27 AM
I always admire two ladies whom I came across in my outward life. One is Indira Gandhi and the other is P.Bhanumathi. What I get a hold from PB's life is "self confidence" and audacity (I mean here “being brave”). Though many people will possess different skills, but lack from being confident. But PB had almost everything.

PB had the courage to face many situations which brought her life stand-still (I heard a major dreadful & unpleasant incident in her life post Ambikapathi). But she lived without loosing the energy to protract.

As an actress, she laid hands in different areas in cine-field. She could succeed in most of the areas with her dedication and perseverance. Personally I am not a great fan of her songs, but I admired her a TOTAL PERSONALITY.

I am stating this with a pinch of salt. Earlier TN-CM JJ had ordered “state honors” during the funerals of a few cine personalities. I expected she will do so for PB also on Saturday, but hmmmm. I still say PB deserved that respect from TN Govt. JJ missed it. InimEl andha mariyadhai-yai seiyya mudiyumA?

Ramki, I get to know a few lines about the story of ThAi PirandhAL. PB is mother of Muthuraman, who is married to Saradha. MR-Saradha do not have a child. Instead of going for adoption, PB decides to engage a vAdagai amma to carry MR’s child. A.Sakunthala acted in that role, it seems. But after giving birth to a child, AS becomes possessive of the child and goes against PB’s family. How PB solves this major issue is the rest of the story. PS-LRE duet is for Saradha and AS. But I do not hear a solo of SJ in this film. SJ’s solo is present in another Thaai film called ThAi pAsam (Sivakumar & Pramila). Not very sure.

Thanks to Neel and you for “Muraga enakkoru varam vEndum.

Neel D
30th December 2005, 12:45 AM
Ramki,
Thanks for featuring the two P.Bhanumathi songs.

SN23,
You are welcome.

Ramki
30th December 2005, 07:55 AM
Pick #236

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/raghu_nm.rm

Song: raghupathi raaghava
Film: nathaiyil muthu
Singer: Radha Jayalakshmi
Lyrics: Mahatma Gandhi

Let us end 2005 with this soulful sarvadharma prayer sung by the underutilised TFM singer Radha Jayalakshmi. I think 'NM' was herlast film(or is it 'amman aruL'?) . NM was KRVijaya's 100th film and it was directed by her favorite director KSGopalakrishnan.
The film also had Muthuraman, SVaralakshmi, chandrakantha etc.
The story is about a iyengar boy(muthu) marrying a kuppathu girl(KRV) against his orthodox mom(SV)'s wishes. How she comes to accept the girl forms the crux of the story. Todays song comes in the end.
Radha jayalakshmi also sang the duet 'aadu raate' with SG in NM.

rajraj
30th December 2005, 08:40 AM
Ramki,
Good choice. They were primarily carnatic vocalists who sang in movies like MLV.

the underutilised TFM singer Radha Jayalakshmi.

SN23
30th December 2005, 10:04 AM
Ramki, a very good song by Jayalakshmi. They always show the name as Radha-Jayalakshmi in title cards, though many songs have been sung by JL alone.

JL' songs in AdhiParasakthi(1969) for Kumara guruparar role are real gems.

The song in Deivam (1972) "Thiruchendhooril pOr purindhu", sung by R & J together, is a feast to ears.

Songs in Nathayil muthu and Amman AruL (both 1973) are enjoybale.

The fabulous "Maalai mayangugindra nEram" is also by JL, if I am correct. Any details about the film, MD etc?

Thanks for the song, Ramki.

Friends, Wish you all a very happy new year 2006 :-)

Ramki
2nd January 2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks Raj/SN23

Ramki
2nd January 2006, 04:58 AM
Pick #237

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/nallorgal_cj.rm

Song: HNY-nallorgaL
Film: sangili
Singer: TMS
Lyrics: kaNNadasan?

Wish you all a very Happy New Year.

baroque
2nd January 2006, 05:13 AM
Ramki , TFM page team & friends,

Wishing you a New Year full of health,happiness and smiles!!
Love, Vinatha.

rajraj
2nd January 2006, 05:20 AM
SN23: It is from the movie Maragatham. MD: S.M.Subbiah Naidu. I am not sure it is Jayalakshmi.

The fabulous "Maalai mayangugindra nEram" is also by JL, if I am correct. Any details about the film, MD etc?

Happy New Year ! :)

tvsankar
2nd January 2006, 08:10 AM
Dear Rami and Team,
WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Indha paatai eppodhu kettalum, Sivajiyin face dhan manadhil varum!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

rra
2nd January 2006, 08:14 AM
Ramki: I think "Nallorgal' is from Sangili. Chiranjeevi has a couple of good songs too. Nevertheless, HNY !!

yvsmani
2nd January 2006, 01:44 PM
happy New Year to all

yes, its from sangili. (I think it had Prabhu too)

SN23
2nd January 2006, 03:46 PM
Ramki: The song from Chiranjeevi by TMS (Sivaji with kaNrAvi grey hair wig) is "Anb(u)enum oliyAga Alaya maNiyAga oor vAzha uzhaippavan siraranjeevi"; here TMS does not pronounce as Chiranjeevi ;)

NallOrgaL song is from Sangili (Or Changili, as we write in Thamizh) ;)

rajraj, thanks for the film name Maragadham. I also has doubt whether it was MLV or JL, since both have some similarity when they sing the word "ngum" (as part of mayangum). But my mom confirmed after listening, it is (Radha)Jayalakshmi. Very nice song, illaya??

Ramki
3rd January 2006, 05:12 AM
Thank you all for the correction.

I think 'sangili' is Prabhus first film?

Ramki
3rd January 2006, 06:35 AM
Pick #238

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/mangala_mv.rm

Song: mangala medai
Film: marumagaLe vazhga
Singers: PSuseela, Jayachandran
Lyrics: Muthulingam
Music: shankar Ganesh

'Thou shall marry the man who molested you' is one of the unwritten but overused prophecy of Indian films.
Same principle was used in the Dasari Narayanarao's 'Grihapravesam'. I watched this movie in the now demolished Rajakumari theatre. I might have been in my 5th or 6th. The film had the then queen of Telugu cinema Jayasudha in the lead.
Jayasudha played a college student who is raped by Mohanbabu. Jayasudha breaks her engagement and marries MB.
She enters his house much against the wishes of her mother and sisterinlaws(sukumari and YVijaya in tamil). They are the typical filmy irritating inlaws. How JS wins all their love forms the rest of the story.The film was a blockbuster in Andhra.

The movie was remade in tamil and hindi. suhasini played JS role and chandrasekhar/nizhalgaL ravi played the husband/fiance roles.

'deepangaL aayiram' is THE famous song from MV. There is also another duet by Rajkumarbharathi and SPShailaja(For SVSekar and ???)

rajeshkrv
3rd January 2006, 10:49 AM
chandrasekhar/raghuvaran played the respective roles

Naaz
3rd January 2006, 09:18 PM
Ramki -

A good one, and one I am humming again after many, many moons!
I've always enjoyed PS-PJC duets, the immortal one among them being "Manjal Nilaavukku Indru Orae Sugam" from Muthal Iravu. Isn't that a stand-out duet for all time?

Btw, Marumagalae Vaazhga (Sau Din Saas Ke) had another scintillating composition by SG - "Abishekam Alankaram Archchanai Aarambam" (VJ/MVD), yes?

Best wishes for 2006 to all DFers!

Ramki
4th January 2006, 06:53 AM
thanks rajeshkrv

Naaz thanks for reminding 'alangaaram abishegam archanai aarambam'. It is from MV

Ramki
4th January 2006, 07:07 AM
Pick #239

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/maharani_avi.rm

Song: maharani unaithedi
Film: aayiram vaasal idhayam
Singers: SJanaki, Jayachandran

Thanks to Naaz for requesting this song. He writes

They say you can't step into the same river twice. That lightning doesn't strike the same place twice. And that if you are bitten once, then you are shy - twice.
What do they know? Have they listened to the early IR?
Step, Strike, Bite - Ah, do it again!
Here's a duet that SSBs me every time, and leaves me craving for more...of the same! SJ defines the imaginative scope of the song with a feathery whisper, and we're transported to a world of endless beauty. A lovely paralysis; a joyous inertia. PJC pins ribbons of shimmering love all over the creation, and the duet lingers... like perfume, like memory, a touch of tenderness - always fresh, and infinitely original.
Aayiram Vaasal Idhayam was the film. The song was picturised on Sudhakar and Roja Ramani.
But the SSB belongs to IR. A Master - not just a Classic - is forever.
Welcome...to an unchanging feeling.

My(Ramki) 2 cents: Sudhakar is more of a comedian(Which he is in Telugu world) than a hero. Like chakkaLathi, nadhi ondru karai moondru, maandhoppu kiLiye,inikkum iLamai, peNNin vaazhkai, magarandham etc AVi is another one of his horrible movies.
The film had 2 heroines Radhika and Rojaramini pining for him.
Other songs i remember are
Kichu Kichu - SJ
en aasai vazhai kuruthe - MV, SPS, BSS
There is also another duet by VJ and BSS i think(For radhika and RR)

RC
4th January 2006, 07:34 AM
Ramki: paata kaaNomE? I get a Requested file not found http://raretfm.mayyam.com/pow06/maharanai_avi.rm message :(

Wishing you all a (Belated) Happy and prosperous 2006!

Ramki
4th January 2006, 07:43 AM
RC ippo checkunga

RC
4th January 2006, 08:22 AM
Ramki: Thanks.. am hearing this one after a very long time! Naaz's way of putting "..and leaves me craving for more...of the same!" is exactly how I feel. SJ's another gem! So much have been said...need I say anything more about PJ? Thanks for the song Naaz!

baroque
4th January 2006, 10:43 AM
[tscii:21c2069939]Naaz
I’m elated! Enchanting interludes, Janaki’s humming prelude, JC-Janaki what a chemistry with a touch of rag gowri manohari!!

Ramki, Thanks a lot for your enthusiasm and dedication!
Thirumbi thirumbi vandhu keppen naan raaja pattu!!

love, vinatha[/tscii:21c2069939]

balaji
4th January 2006, 05:21 PM
Great Song Ramki

Happy new year to all!

King of Interludes wins..

Thanks Naaz/Ramki

Bala

tvsankar
4th January 2006, 06:09 PM
Dear Ramki and Nazz,
Thanks for the rare GEM !!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

vel1970
4th January 2006, 10:51 PM
Ramki, Maharani song resemles sindhu nadhi kari oram song in most of the places. SJ's shivering singing is very obvious, whereas PJC maintains very well.

next is PJ + VJ song?

vel1970
4th January 2006, 10:57 PM
This is the first time i heard Mangala media song. though the music is not matured, tune is interesting for college students dance. I thought it is shailaja when listening to the starting of song, then realised it is PS in the charanams. worth listening. thanks

vel1970
4th January 2006, 11:00 PM
Malligai poo vaangi vandhen is by AL Ragavan, not SPB. who sang engirundhallum vazhga. Am I wrong?

vel1970
4th January 2006, 11:08 PM
Ramki, did you notice the aariro aariro in between charanams of MadhuLai muthukkaL song is sung by B vasantha? Very sweet voice.

But (with due respects), PB's singing is very bad. she sings like reading. I did not like at all. Ore sirippa vandhadhu listening to her tamil ucharippu :)

Naaz
4th January 2006, 11:31 PM
Friends -

Let me direct you to the preamble of this thread, to an especially intuitive statement by Ramki:
"The joy of sharing such discoveries with others could be boundless."
From all your responses to Maharani Unaiththedi, you have provided proof that it IS boundless! I am touched that this duet touched you also.

In the second charanam, SJ expresses a beautiful sentiment with an evocative wispyness: "Silirkkum, Idhazh Virikkum, Thannai Marandha Nilaiyile..." (listen to her thadumaatram when she voices "Nilaiyile" - a shaken stasis, imaginatively realised) - this summation of love-making is exactly what a song like this does to me: It makes love to my whole being, a moment to relive again and again with a song. IRs early compositions capture that "boundless joy" with such mastery....Thannai Marandha Nilaiyile...and a smile lights my face, while a torpor of memory washes over...

A heartfelt thanks to Ramki for featuring my selections with enthusiasm.

And thanks to you all for your generous applause.

Ramki
5th January 2006, 06:26 AM
vel I do think its BVasantha and you are wrong about 'malligai poo'. It is by SPB.

Ramki
5th January 2006, 06:45 AM
Pick #240

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/andha_sa.rm

Song: andharanga neerkuLathil/kaanalile meen vettai/nee varuvaiyene
Film: Sujatha
Singer: Jayachandran

A Jobless postgraduate who is also a poet, a romantic, a victim of stepmom abuse. When the one and only person who believes in him, loves him for what he is , leaves him for marital bliss the poet in him screams for the forgotten love. Kannadasan , as ever, raises to the occasion(or situation) and brings out the screams as pudhukavidhais.
Jayachandrans haunting voice brings out the nuances of the kavidhais with perfect expressions.
Balajis 'Sujatha' ,a malayalam remake, had Saritha, Vijayan, Shankar, Rajalakshmi etc. Shankar played the PG poet role and Saritha his sister's. Rajalakshmi played shankar's love interest.
The film was not recieved well. The story was too dark for our masala tamil viewers(Shankar's poet commits suicide, Sarithas character dies of Cancer etc etc - she even shaved her head for the role).
Kalyanai menons version of 'nee varuvaiene' was the highlight of the movie.
The film also had the PS song 'engirundho vandha paravaigaLe'

SN23
5th January 2006, 11:01 AM
Ramki, MuthukkaL moondru endru sonnAl migai Ahadhu :-) PJ's singing is very nice especially his pronounciation. TheLivu + Gambeeram are his assets. MSV had selected the perfect singer.

Rajeev menon's mother did a so-so job but the song became the most popular song.

I do not remember PS's song in the film. Is it for Rajalakshmi?

Overall Sujatha was a good film (like Sridhar's AlaigaL with Vishnuvardhan and Chandrakala), but too much of sOham spoiled the interest of movie viewers.

Vel1970, Malligai poo was the very first movie song (from released movie) of SPB. Agree with you that his voice had some shade of ALR, but SPB thaan adhu :-)

Ramki, I thought Govardhan was MD for Malligai poo vaandgi vandhEn, but stand corrected with your infomation :-)

rajutvs
5th January 2006, 04:50 PM
Radha Jayalakshmi sung the song "Vennilaavum Vaanum" from Kalyanam Panniyum Brahmachari.
For all the list of songs sung by RJ

http://www.tfmpage.com/forum/23763.1133.01.54.38.html

Ramki
9th January 2006, 02:42 AM
SN23 'engirundho' ,i think, is for Saritha

Ramki
9th January 2006, 02:58 AM
Pick #241

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kan_kk.rm

Song: kaN paarum devi
Film: kokkarakko
Singer: iLaiyaraja

Soon after 'oru thalai raagam' became a smashing hit, YGM produced anddirected a stage drama titled 'oru kolai raagam'.
A 13 year old girl was the main lead and she did a splendid job.
Within a year or so the girl made her debut in 'kokkarakko'. I think her original name was kavitha but it was changed to iLavarasi by 'KK's director GA. Her jodi was a thin and very fragile looking kid(Mahesh kumar?) who also made his debut in KK. The film was really stupid but found moderate success because of the songs.
'geetham sangeetham and 'mayilapore pakkam mayilai kaNdene' were super hits
Todays pick is based on Mayamalawagowlai raagam(thanks to ROS). Though IR goes off shruthi at few instances , the song is still a treat.
The film also had a SJ solo ..cannot recall the lines :(

SN23
9th January 2006, 10:37 AM
Ramki, never heard this song by IR. IR sang very well though he jumps off and on in few places. Thanks :-)

IR's composition in 70's -early 80's came out as if reserved in big akshya paatram :-) Splendid work he dis, to get back the music fans to listen TF songs from Hindi Moham. Mylapoor pakkam is a fabulous song by MVD. Janaki's solo starts with Ketti mELam, according to audio cover. Not heard often, I believe.

I think the hero, Mahesh acted in one of the FIVE boys in Alaigal Oaivadhillai. If am correct, he acted as muslim boy.

ILavarasi's original name is Manju, I think, which she retained in Telugu Movies. Her real acting talent was showcased in Sridhar's Aalaya Deepam (Sujatha pinni vittaar nadippil).

yvsmani
9th January 2006, 12:35 PM
thanks for PJ songs. As usual he has done a fine job.

'kan paarum devi' kokkarakko padam thaan ena theriyamal pala naatkal rasiththu vanthullen. Ilavarasi kuthirai odum poluthu "Eei kuthirai nillu" endru kaththuvathu is still fresh in my poor memory. Ilavarasi was good in some visu movie too like samsaaram adhu minsaaram

thumburu
9th January 2006, 01:12 PM
Even though Iam late by a week, my thanks to Naaz and Ramki for selecting "Maharani unai thedi" . A great song!!! What can I say about SJ/PJ singing? "Heavenly" is the only trivial word I can think of. Listen to the beats in the pallavi. Distinctly IR stamp is evident. The mesmerising flute, violin phrases all carry me to a different world.

Ramki
10th January 2006, 06:32 AM
Sn23 thanks for the details

YVSM , iLavarasi was also good in 'kunguma simizh'

Ramki
10th January 2006, 06:54 AM
Pick #242

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/urave_aa.rm

Song: urave thaLLaduthu nenjam
Film: aanandha aaradhanai
Singer: SJanaki
Music: Manoj Gyan

Interesting cast but an insipid storyline was the main reason for 'aanandha aradhanai' to go unnoticed. The film with Srividya,suhasini, Lizzy, Mohan etc was in making for a long time.
It was directed by director turned cameraman Dinesh(or diwakar?).

Srividya played the role of a man hating chief doctor of an hospital.
Her daughter Lizzy falls in love with Mohan. Ofcourse Mama vidya hates that. Suhasini, a subordinate of SV, is also in love with Mohan.
When srividya finally succumbs to the pleas of the love birds Mohan gets hurt in an accident . He is now paralyzed waist down.
Now he wants to kill himself. He asks srividya to do the deed and she is more than happy to do that for him(so are the audience).
When lizzy comes to know that she swallows buckets of sleeping pills and gets admitted to the very next room of Mohan.
When Mohan learns about Lizzy's condition, the power of love 'unparalyzes' him. He stumbles and fumbles, walks and then finally runs to the next room And true cinematic love triumphs. The brain dead paralyzed audience walk back home in daze.

Todays song is the only aspect worth remembering. A RDB style of music , SJ's voice and VM's lyrics makes the song worth your time.

Neel D
10th January 2006, 06:40 PM
Ramki,

The song is average. But the story narration is really good.
:lol:

balaji
10th January 2006, 07:33 PM
Ramki

Thanks to SJ, song sounds good. It has very Hindi-sh tune.. (yes RDB style..)

I read your first line as "Srividya played the role of a man, hating chief doctor of an hospital." (being a tube light I am). It took me some time to read it back as man-hating chief doctor...

Thanks Ramki for the fine writing

Bala

Ramki
11th January 2006, 06:30 AM
Pick #243

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/paaradi_vv.rm

Song: paaradi kaNNe konjam
Film: vallavanukku vallavan
Singers: Sirgazhi govindarajan, TMS, PSuseela
Music: Veda

We lost of the best character actors of Tamil Movies. RS Manohar. A Legend in tamil theatre.
There are not many songs picturised on him. Todays pick is one of my favorites.

PS: 3 deaths and eulogies in the past one month. Lets pray there will not be another one for a long long time

SN23
11th January 2006, 04:42 PM
Ramki, aanandha aaradhanai was hyped like anything when Dhinesh (Kannada director & Very close to Mike Mohan) gave an interview in some cine mag. He even said that Mohan's image will be completely changed. hayyaho :lol: SJ's singing in this song is like a train suddenly stopped and creating that unusal screaching sound; also very nasal singing. In 80's itself she had moved into this kind of platform.

R.S.Manohar: According to many film personalities, it is still strange that how villain actors like MN Nambiar, RSM etc were good in character (personal life). My parents know his wife Mrs.Seethalakshmi, a very good hearted lady. My dad had good access to RSM even to get VIP pass for his dramas. How many historical and idhikaasa stories he staged!! Out of all, I liked his Indrajit very much. His RavaNeswaran story was adopted by K.Shankar for his IlangEswaran (Rajesh with KRV and Revathi). It seems he used to read a lot of books and discuss with many learned scholars and teachers about many subjects. A perfect gentleman, he was. May his soul rest in peace.

You are correct Ramki. Manohar's songs are very few (< 10??). I remember 2 more immediately :

"Devan vandhan devan vandhan kuzhandhia vadivile" from Kuzhandaikkaaga. PBS's portion is for RSM starting with "Annai mari deiva balan". Other singers are SG for Major Sundarrajan and TMS for Ramdoss.

"Vendriduven unnai vendriduven". From Agathiyar. TMS sings for RSM and SG for himself.

I think there must be some more songs for RSM.

In KaN pOna pOkkilE song, he dances with Sowcar Janaki, though the song is for MGR.

RSM with Padmini was the real performing pair in Ricshakaaran. They become as step-parent-in-law (last scene) for MGR.

Nalla uLLam manidhar pOi vittarE. Manam varundhugiradhu.

Neel D
11th January 2006, 07:33 PM
R.S.Manohar was one of the very very few people who kept theater alive in Tamilnadu several decades after the film industry destroyed it. His service to Tamil theater shall be forever remebered and honored.

Ramki
13th January 2006, 08:11 AM
Pick #244

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/maari_uv.rm

Song: maari mazhai
Film: uzhavan
Singers: Sujatha, Shahul Hameed
Lyrics: Vaali
Music: ARRahman

After the torrential rains TN received this season, I'm sure our uzhavars will be praying for less rain and more sunshine . A lengthy kodai will be in top of their wish list. But according to latest predictions TN should have a wet kodai.
Lets hope the new year and pongal will bring more joy and prosperity everywhere.

Wish you all a very Happy pongal.

Ramki
17th January 2006, 06:17 AM
Pick #245

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/vaazhndhal_st.rm

Song: vaazhndhaal unnodu
Film: Savithri
Singer: Vani Jairam

Thanks to NeelD for this wonderful song(I have been hunting for this a long time). He writes:

"Savithiri" was released in the year 1980. The heroine Savithiri
(played by Menaka) is married off to a man much older than her. This
man was already an adult and carried Savithiri in his arms when she was
a just a little child growing up. But due to poverty and family
circumstances Savithiri's parents have her marry this man who is now in
his fifties. She is trying very hard to accept her marriage to this
man. The keyword is "trying". Because she is still struggling with her
emotions and feelings due to this unmatched and unconsummated marriage.

VJ so skillfully expresses the disappointment of the heroine. She does
not overdo the melancholy because the heroine is making herself excuses
to accept her fate. In the song she mentions the example of Sita's
vanavaasam along with Rama. She talks about how every human being's
life is, predestined. Then she says how her marriage makes her parents
happy.

VJ throws in a frustrated and sarcastic laughter when she gets
philosophical to tell herself that contentment and acceptance will
bring one happiness and that happiness comes from within.

idhuvE sugam enRu eNNivittAl pOdhum
adhuvE sugamAi vidum
inbamO thunbamO veLiyinil illai
idhayathil uruvAi vidum

The laughter follows the above lines.

Do not miss the microvibrations at the end of the line

gangaiyil yamunaiyil pudhu veLLam varumpOdhu
kAdugaL sezikkinRana ........

and the short and swift aalaapanai at the end of the charanams.

Savithiri's situation is similar to that of the heroine who sings
"ennuLLil enggO" in "Rosaappu Ravikkaikaari". But the song situations
are different. "ennuLLil engO" is when the heroine is struggling with
her physical attraction for the other man in her life.

She shows restraint... "ponggi niRka thanggi niRka", but still enjoys
the feeling... "AnAl adhuvum Anandham".

"vAzndhAl unnOdu" is when the heroine is trying to accept her marriage
telling herself excuses.

VJ clearly brings out the difference in the song situations in her
performance. VJ expresses the yearning, lust and the secretive joy in
her voice in the song "ennuLLil". But she expresses the disappointment,
frustration and the burying of the normal biological urges in
"vAzhndhAl unnOdu".

Both songs executed with perfect feeling and expression and at the same
time with technical mastery. What an amazing singer!

"ennuLLil engO" was written by Gangai Amaran and music composed by IR.
"vAzndhAl unnOdu" was by Kannadasan and music composed by MSV.

Since so much is written about 'en uLLil' i thought i will also add that song as a bonus. This is one of the best song of IR and definitely VJ's best. I believe that neither of them could repeat this magic again.
You can listen to 'en uLLil' here:

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/enullil_rr.rm

Why does no one make such movies or songs anymore? Where are those risk taking directors ? Will Tamil films ever come out of the current teenage,cleavage fixation?

SN23
17th January 2006, 11:30 AM
VJ so skillfully expresses the disappointment of the heroine. She does not overdo the melancholy because the heroine is making herself excuses to accept her fate.

{SN23: Exactly Neel. VJ did a fantastic job like Kaththi(knife) mEl nadappadhu pOla. Konjam perumoochu vitta kooda, SJ style vandhu vidum; in addition, the sanctity of her feel will get lost. Fabulous effort by VJ}

VJ throws in a frustrated and sarcastic laughter when she gets
philosophical to tell herself that contentment and acceptance will
bring one happiness and that happiness comes from within.

{SN23: I always wait for this laughter whenever I hear this song. Ennavo thalai vidhi, pOittu pOgattum-nu solra maadhiri... such a great expression}

idhuvE sugam enRu eNNivittAl pOdhum
adhuvE sugamAi vidum
inbamO thunbamO veLiyinil illai
idhayathil uruvAi vidum

{SN23: Neel, if I had been in Kannadasan's place, I would written the lyrics as
"idhuvE vazh(u) enRu eNNivittAl pOdhum
adhuvE nalamaai vidum"

I am not able to digest as why the yound lady character is being forced to accept this life as Sugam. Idhu thaan en vazhkkai endru she could have consoled her... No Kannadasan... sorry.}

Why does no one make such movies or songs anymore? Where are those risk taking directors ? Will Tamil films ever come out of the current teenage,cleavage fixation?
{SN23: same feeling here. Indha Tamizh thirai pada ulagai ini nimirtha mudiyaadhu :-(}

Thanks a ton Ramki/Neel for this wonderful pongal parisu :-)

yvsmani
17th January 2006, 12:50 PM
another good pick, ramki ( of course thanks always to Neel D).
in vazhanthaal, VJin kuralil oru vitha gambeeram irukkum, she has decided to live that life pola.
In ennulil, VJin kuralil antha characterkku Erpa oru vitha thadumattram irukkum. (therinthum thavaru seigirom enbathu pola). This is my opinion.

tvsankar
17th January 2006, 02:26 PM
Dear Neel and Ramki,
Thanks for these nice songs!!!

Neel - thanks for the story of Savithri!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Naaz
17th January 2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks to Neel D and Ramki for featuring these fine examples of songs and singing from TFM. Both songs rely exclusively on voice, and VJ traverses the emotions of resignation and yearning with equal command and nuance. The compositions themselves are a touchstone for what TFM used to be in a time not so long ago. It has become banal to mourn the loss.

Contentment has to be sought within, so Kannadasan says, but what of the contentment that comes from listening to his words composed with piety and sung with grace and poignancy? Isn't that from without? The heart has to share credit with the eyes and ears, it is not all a joy from just beating and staying alive. It is that vital breath of beauty that these songs hold in them.
And so how ironic it is then when we say "That just takes my breath away!" That's contentment in a nutshell, and to borrow SN23s metaphor, a knife that cuts both ways.

These two did. Again.

jmahesh
18th January 2006, 12:31 AM
I have been reading this column in tfmpage with interest for quite sometime.When I listen to some of these songs it brings back old memories when radio was the main source of entertainment and I used to be hooked on to ilangai oliparappu kootuthaapanam.Very nice songs ,hearing after a long time.keep it up.
I am hearing 'vaazhndhaal unnodu'after such a long time.Thanks very much.there is another nice song 'Savithri'Mazhai kaalamum pani kaalamum sung by Jayachandran & VJ,which is also quite good.

Neel D
18th January 2006, 03:00 AM
Ramki, thanks very much for presenting the song.

SN23/yvsmani/tvsankar/Naaz/jmahesh, you are welcome.

SN23,
You alternative lines are nice. May be Kannadasan used "sugam" because the common expression is "ungalai kattikittu enna sugaththai kanden?".

Ramki,
Tamil films are too caught up in noisy music, skin exposure, etc. That is what kids like these days. The industry has successfully dummified a generation.
While someone like Cheran can take risks repeatedly and still be successful, why not others?

jn
18th January 2006, 03:15 AM
thanks to Neel and Ramki for this wonderful VJ song.I haven't watched this movie but can get an idea of the story from Neel's writing. VJ brings out the emotions very well as if she herself is the character in that movie.. Nowadays, we don't find too many singers and songs like this that stay in our memory for ever.

Ramki
18th January 2006, 08:43 AM
Thank you everyone. I wish my every selection could initiate such discussions :)

Ramki
18th January 2006, 08:55 AM
Pick #246

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/kadhal_gm.rm

Song: kadhal deivam kaNden
Film: Gaslight Mangamma
Singers: KJYesudoss, Vani Jairam

A forgotten song from the 70's. KRV was one of the few Tamil heroines who played the 'hero' is many movies. mayor meenakshi, sabadham, annapoorani,nathaiyil muthu, thirudi etc were totally heroine centered and the heros like Muthuraman, jaishankar etc played the second fiddle.
Gaslight had KRV and muthuraman but i think todays song is picturised on srikantha and??

SN23
18th January 2006, 11:37 AM
Ramki, I never heard this song for long time. I think this is for Srikanth and Shubha ("Pattikaada pattaNamaa" fame). Gaslight mangamman PEra kEttaalE sirippu thaan varudhu. I remember a picture of KRV and Shubha with "bottle" in their hands. I guess it was for a female duet PS+LRE", starting with "PoNNu kudichaa thappu ennadi" (ayyo kadavuLE).

Was it not Ravichandran, the dummy hero in GM?

The KRV era started with Namma Vettu Deivam (directed by GN VElumaNi). Then puttreesal pola KRV films. In addition to your list, I could add some more... Kurathi Magan, Vaayaadi, Roshakaari, Gowri, Aayirathil Oruthi, Maharasi Vaazhga, Mittaai Mammi ( :lol: ), VeLLi Radham, NadagamE ulgam etc. Even in Asthivaaram, MaNicka thottil, Soodhattam, Engal Kula Deivam, Idho endhan deivam, Aanandha Bhairavi etc, she dominated the film and screen :lol:

Ramki, you missed one important dummy hero.. Jai ganesh :-), who was discovered by none other than Mr.KRV (VElaayudham avargaL) :-)

yvsmani
18th January 2006, 02:01 PM
engeyo, eppavoa kettathu pol oru gyabagam. Thanks to ramki & others behind it and tfm, I am able to listen to these songs. Last 3 songsilum, VJ enna versatality kaanbiththullaar.

Neel D
18th January 2006, 07:36 PM
Kadhal Deivam Kanden is a nice and pleasant composition with a typical 70s feel. If offered, MSV will make such nice music even today. Thanks for the rare song Ramki.

Naaz
18th January 2006, 08:33 PM
Ramki -

A real rare one! Where do you find these duets?? Mark VJs delivery in the Charanams...amazing precision. I have not seen Gaslight Mangamma, but the title is novel. Does anybody know why she has the "Gaslight" moniker??
Say what you will about KRV, but in a ruthless, male dominated industry, she is one of the few female leads who could hold her own and guarantee a good opening at the box-office. Even Savitri and Saroja Devi didn't have such clout. That, in my view, makes her a trail-blazer.

vel1970
18th January 2006, 10:14 PM
Ramki: i very much moved after listening to Vazhndhal song from Savithri. Starting pallavi has katam background and not tabla, so I thought it could be a traditional devotional song like lava kucha. But continued with the song. After completion repeated again. once again. There was no tears, but I had somewhat heavyness in my heart. wonderful written song. very devoted music. powerful singing by vanijayaram. though I am not great fan of her earlier, now i hv devloped a respect for her singing.

sorry to dig here. sorry in advance. why her voice was not cashed by IR in his days. No doubt he introduced many voices, even looked for alternative for TMS, PS and other verterans. But he gave too many for that "keech keech thambaalam kiya kiya thambaalam" S.Janaki and pained our ears. seezh pudikka vachuttaar. too many songs. why not he used this lady singer who gave her heart and soul to savitri kind of songs? many people would have discussed this aspect, but i wanted to say it out now. really frustrating.

One more song of PS i.e kaala magal kan thirppal (MGR movie), has the same type of heavy feeling. nenjai adaikkum.

Naaz, KR.Vijaya acted as the poor lady worker carrying the gaslight during mappla azhaippu and other functions. That's why the title on her character. Great discovery of me :-) hey I am serious.

madhu
18th January 2006, 11:21 PM
Hi Ramki !

a rare gem..!

Neel D
19th January 2006, 12:12 AM
Naaz,

I agree with you. K.R.Vijaya has a great crowd-pulling power, especially women crowd. I have not come across any women or little girls who do not like KRV. They all take an immediate liking to her. That is KRV's magnetism. In the last 30 years she has aged about 5 years. She is currently playing Amman in a TV series.

Ramki
20th January 2006, 07:13 AM
Pick #247

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/thoda_kc.rm

Song: thodalaam thottaalum yogamthan
Film: kalicharan
Singers: Vani Jairam ,SPrabhakar

Someone requested this song long time ago(Naaz?), I just got hold of it.
One song wonder Prabhakar has a decent voice(Kind of Jayachandran's). Not sure if he also sang in 'oru malarin payanam'? .

I have no detainls on 'kalicharan', was it by any chance a charanraj *er?

RC
20th January 2006, 07:49 AM
Ramki,

Yes.. Karthik, Charanraj , Sripriya were in the cast.

Naaz
20th January 2006, 11:16 AM
Ramki -

Yes, it was my request , part of that long list I sent your way some months ago. Thanks for finding it! It is a nice duet, one of the better ones from CB.

No idea about the film. I think it came around/after the hit Kalicharan (hindi), in an effort to cash in on the popularity of the name. It stank..er...sank. Sri Priya likes to swim, so I'm told. :P

yvsmani
21st January 2006, 08:30 PM
ramki : thanks, another good find.
naaz : ungalukkuthaan intha mathiri maranthaa songs niraiya gyabagam irukku .... good memory power

vicky
21st January 2006, 09:40 PM
been trying to locate a song. its sorta old. believe was sung by PS/Chorus. does anyone have a clue?

"Unnai Kannalae Kandadhum..Jamtharijum.."

madhu
22nd January 2006, 12:03 AM
been trying to locate a song. its sorta old. believe was sung by PS/Chorus. does anyone have a clue?

"Unnai Kannalae Kandadhum..Jamtharijum.."

Hi vicky..

that song is from the film "vanji kottai vaaliban" for Padmini
sung by PS and chorus..
the song goes like this..
"inba kanavonru nane kaNdEnadi..
oru kattazhagan vandhen mun ninRanadi
avanai kaNNAlE kaNdadhum jum thari jam
adi ennennamO seivadhEnO nenjam"

madhu
22nd January 2006, 12:05 AM
Hi Ramki !

May I request for a song ..
it goes like this ..
"idhayam idhayam muzhudhum mogangaL
vidiyum varaiyil eriyum deepangaL
poomEni anjumO ! mayil iRagil manjamO !
suduginRa poonkAtRu thEn sindhumO"

sung by SPB and SJ..

I think the film name is "idhayam pesugiradhu" and the heroine is Ambika.. I know only that much..

Naaz
22nd January 2006, 01:59 AM
yvsmani -

If my memory is in somewhat working order, that's mainly due to my visits to TFMpage. I think of it as my house of memory! Otherwise, by now it would be orae drop-outso drop-outsu! :)

Madhu -

That is an excellent duet by SJ/SPB, and a long time quest for me. I've been looking for it high and low, but I had no clue about the film or MD. What's worse, I remembered only the second line of the pallavi "vidiyum varaiyil eriyum deepangal..." correctly, and that didn't take me anywhere close to finding it!! Now you'd made me crave it again!
Let's hope Ramki's tentacles reach far and wide....and nab this one!

vicky
22nd January 2006, 08:40 PM
Madhu: Thanks for the quick response.

Ramki
23rd January 2006, 03:04 AM
Thanks RC

Madhu i dont think i have that song. I will ask around

Ramki
23rd January 2006, 03:13 AM
Pick #248

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/mogathai_ios.rm

Song: mogathai kondruvidu
Film: ini oru sudhanthiram
Singers: KJYesudoss, Chitra
Lyrics: Bharathiar
Music: Gangai amaran

I was now aware of this rare(atleast to me) bharathiar song until 'ini oru sudhanthiram' was released. After listening to the beautiful piece, i always wonder under what circumstances the mahakavi wrote this song.

'Ini oru sudhanthiram' was a decent attempt by Manivannan. Sivakumar gave an excellent performance. But the film did not do well at B.O. Raja, Rekha, chandrasekhar, NaLini, Jeevitha etc are other actors.

Todays pick has 2 voices but chitra sings most of the song. Her voice sounds very fresh but her pronunciation cries for improvement(What does she say after 'koondu kiLiyinai pol thanimai ?????).

From Mars
23rd January 2006, 08:38 AM
My favourite was 'endru thaNiyum indha' by KJY :)

Was it by MV? I thought it was by GA. I saw this movie long time ago :)

Good choice though.

SN23
23rd January 2006, 11:00 AM
Ramki, I guess this song is for Rekha? She becomes a victim of the collector Raja, who ditches her and marries Jeevitha (his boss's daughter??).

Besides Sivakumar, many incl Chandrasekar, Nalini, Rekha and the master actor performed very well.

Very nice singing by Chitra though she was in her early stage.

Thanks for the good number.

Ramki
24th January 2006, 06:49 AM
FM ungaLukku theriyadhadhaa? :)

SN23 im not sure if the song was for Rekha. I watched the DD version of the film and the song was not shown.

Ramki
24th January 2006, 07:07 AM
Pick #249

http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/uyire_am.rm

Song: uyire urave
Film: anbin mugavari
Singers: SJanaki, SPB

Poetic title pathetic story . These 4 words should sum up Manivannan's 'anbin mugavari'(no this is not a Manivannan week :0 ). After the successful 'iLamai kaalangaL', MV repeated Mohan-Sasikala jodi in AM. The film begins with a jail break by Mohan and sathyaraj. While escaping from the police they fall in a river and get seperated. Mohan, washed away in the shores of a village, is rescued by sasikala and its 'love at first fright' for her. But our hero has a past that involves viji and a murder of villain who eve teases her. It doesnt even require peanut size brain to figure viji will live in the same village. She does but now she is married to..SSRajendran(yes believe me). Now viji has a past with sathyaraj who also ends up in the same village. sasikala starts chasing mohan who chases viji and sathyaraj chases her too(and the audience are chased out of the hall). There is also a evil koundamani's character. If you are still interested, this is what happens in the climax. Mohan kills sathyaraj, sasikala kills koundamani and they both travel in the same police jeep to their new mugavari(and this lovely song is played in the back).

The film went unnoticed so IR used this nice tune in 'anveshana' (paadum paravaigaL). The version-II of the song is 'nizhalo nijamo' and vairamuthu wrote they lyrics again :)

Also i feel 'uyire urave' was recorded for a different movie and MV used it in AM(Like he did for ingeyum oru gangai ). I feel so becuasue the lyrics did not suit the situation at all.(Uyire urave is a dream song and why should anyone sing about kaNNagi and kaNNagi magaL in a dream:) )

rajraj
24th January 2006, 07:25 AM
Her voice sounds very fresh but her pronunciation cries for improvement(What does she say after 'koondu kiLiyinai pol thanimai ?????).

Good choice! It is:

kooNduk kiLiyinaip pol thanimai
koNdu migavum nondhEn
vENdum poruLai ellaam manadhu
veruthu vittadhadi

I don't think it is her diction. It is the tune that makes her sing that way ! :)

Ramki,
They have taken lines from two different songs and made it a sad love song. mogathai kondru vidu is a plea to shakthi (mahasakthikku viNNappam) and from the line 'thoondil puzhuvinaip pol' the song is taken from kaNNan en kaadhalan sung in a romantic mood (srungaram/viraham). Whoever did the 'cut and paste' did not have much respect for Bharathiyar, in my opinion. But, it is a nice song! :)

tvsankar
24th January 2006, 08:44 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song!!!

Storyai patri unga writingsai serious aga padithu
kondu vandhen.Vazhakam pol ungal style il sila
varthaigal- ennai innum sirika vaithu kondu irukiradhu!!!! :lol: Really nice to read your writings
for some movies!!! :D :) Pl Keep it up!!!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
24th January 2006, 10:28 AM
// She does but now she is married to..SSRajendran(yes believe me).

SN23: That old SSR? with Viji? ayyahO. Hopefully she did not come out with glasses and old get-up to suit the forgotten veteran.

// (and the audience are chased out of the hall).

SN23: :rotfl:

Somehow I am not able to rasithufy this song; may be SSR and Viji comes to my mind/visual??? :lol:

From Mars
24th January 2006, 10:29 AM
Ramki,
aanaalum ungaLukku porumai adhikam :)

It sounds similar to 'vaazhvaa saavaa vidai solla vaa' too?

jmahesh
25th January 2006, 12:45 AM
the song from ini oru sudhanthiram is a very good one deed.I have heard it before in one of K.J Y hit collections including the more popular' endru thaniyum.'
I watched 'ini oro...' in TRichy and we were one among handful of viewers.I remember it got a good review in vikatan.
there was also 2 more songs,one a group song with children along the lines of 'pallikoodam pogamalae'
& another song for chandrasekar & nalini.
mogathai kondruvidu was only present on casettes& was not present in the movie version.
thanks for the song

RC
25th January 2006, 02:09 AM
I'm not sure if SSR really marries Viji in the movie or if they pretend to be married until Mohan comes back. Goundamani is SSR's brother eying for his properties.

baroque
25th January 2006, 03:02 AM
[tscii:b55612006c]Beautiful selection, Ramki!!

Eduta neeve.... Abhinandana - Raaja used the same tune with fantastic different orchestration, this SPB solo with raaja’s special tabla is very melodious!

[/tscii:b55612006c]