PDA

View Full Version : Pick of the week: 1 Mar to 5 Aug 2006

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

S.Balaji
17th July 2005, 04:55 PM
Well, I have been a mad follower of IR since 1976 and I know for sure, IRs peak was between 1979 and 1983. After that the melody was lost and eventhough he was the king for the entire decade, the early 90s saw him losing interest as it was too much to be on top .
Any way he is not merely a Raja , he is an emperor

saradhaa_sn
18th July 2005, 07:53 PM
Yes, in early 90s IR was loosing his interest because of his previous tunes repeated by him again, whether with or without his knowledge.

Ramki
20th July 2005, 05:17 AM
Pick #140

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/oadug_bk.rm

Song: odugindraaL urugugindraaL
Film: BadrakaLi
Singer: Seergazhi Govindarajan
Lyrics: vaali
Music: iLaiyaraja

BadrakaLi is one film i regret not watching yet. I have listened to the olichitram few times but never had the opportunity to watch it.
But never once in India i had listened to todays pick. I came to know of this song only through musicindiaonline.
This must be one of the very few songs(2 songs?) Sirgazhi sang for IR. Usage of his voice and also the interludes gives this song a very MSV feel.
But the real highlight is vaalis lyrics. I feel this is one of his best in IR's music.

madhu
20th July 2005, 07:57 AM
Hi Ramki !

of course its a rare one ! its not aired often like the other song "Anandha bhairavi"by MRV from the film....
May be the popularity of the film by the sudden demise of the heroine in the air crash and the popular "kannan oru" song are reasons for the Not-so-popular-and-not-heard-often feeling of this song !

BTW, how many SG-IR combinations are there ? any idea ?

Nitya
20th July 2005, 09:03 AM
All 5 songs from "Bhadrakali" are available at Music India Online.

And just so you guys know, the heroine Madhu is referring to was Ranichandra (courtesy www.imdb.com)

Ramki
21st July 2005, 04:57 AM
Madhu
I remember only one more song - 'thaiye mookambike' (he sang with BM,MSV,SJ and MV)

Ramki
21st July 2005, 05:10 AM
Pick #141

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/sorname_sks.rm

Song: sorname sorgame
Film: sagalakala sammandhi
Singer: VaniJairam
Lyrics:?
Music: Shankar Ganesh

A soulful song , beautifully rendered by VJ. IMO this is one of her best from early 90s
I watched this painful movie in kovai. Its a typical visu film with a herd of actors (his usuals Manorama,chandrasekar, pandian, aruna, madhuri, ranjani,kishmu etc) and a central issue which ofcourse visu , the sagalakala sammandhi , resolves it in the end. In SKS the issue is widow remarriage. Charany played the widow's role. The issue and the movie was so outdated even for 90s.
Todays pick is the only song i remember from SKS.

Neel D
21st July 2005, 06:55 AM
Ramki,

Thanks for the lovely song. Visu always reserved one solo for VJ in most of his movies. And all of them are very good songs. Here are some:
Kattikkarumbe Kanna - Samsaram Athu Minsaram
Moongil Ilai Kadugale - Penmani Aval Kanmani
Paarthu Sirikkuthu - Thirumathi Oru Vegumathi
Santhoshame Ullasame - Varavu Nalla Uravu
Cudaraga Oliyaaga - Aval Sumangalithaan

I am not sure if Urimai Oonjaladukirathu is by Visu. It has a song "thenna maraththula nellu muLaippathu eppOthu", a solo by VJ.

Some other songs by VJ in the early 90s are the songs from the films "Pathini Penn", "Amma Pillai" and "Abhirami".

Naaz
21st July 2005, 07:42 AM
Ramki -

A fine selection! I fully endorse your good taste (The SG song from Bathrakaali was also a great pick!)

Neel D -

You're right on the mark. Those days I'd await the release of a Visu film just to see if VJ had a solo in it! Moongil Ilai Kaadugale is a classic from S-G. VJ is top-notch in this solo, like always? :-)
Visu also directed Raja Thanthiram (Visu, Karthik, Sulakshana) but I don't recall a VJ solo/song in it...Was there one?

I am glad you mentioned Paththini Penn. MSV was in his element here. Just the other day I was listening to the VJ / Swarnalatha duet from that film - Kaalai Varum Sooriyano Ennaalum Theyaadhu - soulfully rendered by both singers. Ulagengum Nam Veedu tops my list from PP.

Amma Pillai also had a soft, mellow duet by VJ / Mano: Malligai Pookka Mannavan Paarka Iththanai Kaalamaa. MD was CB?

rajeshkrv
21st July 2005, 04:07 PM
a beautiful solo by VJ..

One of the best solo by VJ

thanks ramki

Ramki
22nd July 2005, 03:32 AM
NeelD, Naaz, rajeshkrv

-I'm glad to see you all liked the song

Ramki
22nd July 2005, 03:45 AM
Pick #142

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/welcome_ipev.rm

Song: welcome hero
Film: indru pol endrum vaazhga
Singers: PSuseela, TMS, BSSasirekha
Lyrics: pulamaipithan
Music: MSViswanathan

A catchy song, quite popular in VB. The lines were funny and for a primary school kid it was the 'appadi podu' of 70s. Like most of the catchy songs this one too faded from our memories.
Who was MGR's pair - radha saluja or bindiya goswami? I think MGR started the trend of bringing , what dinakaran likes to call 'mumbai azhagigaL', to TF. Did RS ever act in hindi films??

RC
22nd July 2005, 04:12 AM
I believe it is Radha Saluja! I remember watching this movie as a kid and vaguely remember Anbukku naan adimai song where MGR walks around with an aatukutti, I think. I also remember the climax where MGR rescues Vijayakumar from a fire.

jn
22nd July 2005, 05:12 AM
aarsi: It IS radha saluja.. How can you go wrong when it comes to heroines?:)
Ramki: Are you sure that this song was popular among kids? :)
Other songs in this movie:
anbukku naan adimai
pudhumaip pengaL..VJ and chorus
idhayththilirundhu idhazhgaL varai..TMS and PS
en yoga jaadhagam - Tms and VJ..

RC
22nd July 2005, 05:59 AM
JN: puratchi thalaivaroda parama visiriyaakum neenga? :)

yvsmani
22nd July 2005, 10:02 AM
rajeshkrv : VJ pattu ungaluku pidiththu irunthaal nitchchayam it should be the best song by her.
ramki : thanks for sakalakala sammandhi song. Somehow, I missed this song earlier.

SN23
22nd July 2005, 11:05 AM
Ramki, so far I have not heard VJ's solo "sorname sorgame". Nice song indeed.

PArthu Sirikkudhu Bommai (Thirumadhi Oru Vegumadhi) is also a splendid solo by VJ. I guess it was for Kokila (Or Saranya?). Please post here this when you get that.

'Welcome hero' is a different kinda song but not very great. Ladies teasing the hero and he replies in return in later part of the song started ages ago from MAttu kAra vElan etc etc incl Adiye vanitha (SPBalu, PS, SJ) from pookkalai parikkadheergaL.

In this WHero song, I like that junakkuthaa... by the female voices and chorus.

I think IPEVazhga has one SPB solo????

Was there any song for V.Nirmala who acted Vijayakumar's pair?

Radha Salooja will show a girl after the line "Paris London sendru
vandha peNNunga"... appappa azhaho azhagu. ThAnga mudiyAdhu :shock:

In that TMS+PS duet, MGRholdingRS, ade ade.. indha thodai podhuma innum konjam veNumA (Ramba ellam phoo phoo) :lol:

Naaz
22nd July 2005, 07:53 PM
Ramki -

Eves' Teasing first thing in the morning! A fun pick!

Regarding Radha Saluja:
She is a grad from the renowned (now defunct?) Poona Film Institute.
Her claim-to-fame film is Do Raha (Two Paths) which featured her with Shatrughan Sinha and Anil Dhawan. This was remade into tamizh as "AvaL" *ing Vennira Aadai Nirmala and Srikanth. (Andha Kaalaththu "A" Padam!) The poster for this film was considered tres risque those days!
RS's other hindi films that I recall are Saza-e-Maut (Death Sentence) a quiet thriller, and first directorial venture of Vidhu Vinod Chopra of "Mission Kashmir" fame. RS was very good in this film (she played a defense attorney.) Her co-star was Naseeruddin Shah, also a FTII grad. Jungle Mein Mangal was another fun film in which she starred opposite Kiran Kumar.
Bindiya Goswami in a tamizh film? That's news to me. The other "bambaai" import jodi for MGR was Zarina Wahab in Navaraththinam.

thenraja
24th July 2005, 05:14 AM
Other songs in this movie:
en yoga jaadhagam - Tms and VJ..
jn,
en yoga jaadhagam is by SPB & VJ

Ramki
25th July 2005, 02:56 AM
RC thanks for the details

JN the song is catchy..kids dont care about lyrics. Last year when i visited india my nephews were singing 'dhimsu kattai hai hai' without any inhibition:)

Naaz thanks for RS details

SN23 :) paarthu siirikkudhu bommai is for kokila

Ramki
25th July 2005, 03:58 AM
Pick #143

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/enanbe_utv.rm

Song: en anbe anbe
Film: unnai thedi varuven
Singers: SJanaki, SPB
Lyrics: Vairamuthu

Sridhar's 'unnai thedi varuven' was another one of his flop movies of 80s with good songs by IR. I think the film was a thriller with Suresh and Sadhana in the lead.
Todays song and 'oru naaLil malarndhene' are 2 hit songs from UTV.
'en anbe anbe' is a vintage IR song. Like many of his 80s songs the interludes and the melody are brilliant.

The link below lists 3 other songs from UTV

http://www.rakkamma.com/filmsongs.phtml?filmid=600

baroque
25th July 2005, 08:10 AM
Hello, You have been very generous and kind!!! :) thanks. thanks thanks. Recently you featured my fav artist Vani Jayaram's classic 'sangeetham en dheegam andro...' , Everyday i am listening to 'sangeetham...' ,today this awesome song with bubbly violin works and marvelous guitaring in the second interlude!!! Ilayaraaja is the Greatest!!! thanks, Vinatha.

tvsankar
25th July 2005, 11:10 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the song!!! Beautiful composition.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

jn
25th July 2005, 08:03 PM
ramki:)
Thenraja: thanks for the correction:)

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 08:51 PM
Hello, You have been very generous and kind!!! :) thanks. thanks thanks. Recently you featured my fav artist Vani Jayaram's classic 'sangeetham en dheegam andro...' , Everyday i am listening to 'sangeetham...' ,today this awesome song with bubbly violin works and marvelous guitaring in the second interlude!!! Ilayaraaja is the Greatest!!! thanks, Vinatha.

Hello friend,

About Vani Jayaram :

Anbu maygamay indru oodivaa - Engamma sabatham ( jaishankar )
Sung with SPB

Oray naal unai naan - Elamai unjalaadugirathu

Naanay naana - Azagay unnai
Enn kalyan vaibogam

I will not touch malligai - VJ is known for that song.

Have you heard the above ones ??

From Mars
25th July 2005, 10:27 PM
Ramki, I couldn't even watch 1/4 of it. Sureshku dhaadi meesai ellam vachu sagikaathu :))

RC
25th July 2005, 10:53 PM
FM: aanalum muzhu padatha paatheengaLaa illaya? :)

Naaz
26th July 2005, 02:06 AM
Ramki -

A light and tender tune for these dog days of summer! Who needs moisturizer? :-) Thanks!
Are you sure the lyrics are by VM? Whenever I hear the words Paraayanam and Romaanjanam I conclude that it has got to be Vaalee! Guess not?

baroque
26th July 2005, 02:53 AM
Thanks Balaji for those VJ's gems!!
Vani Jayaram is one gifted artist who can sing with lilt and ease. I am forever addicted to her 'enullil yengo....', 'en kalyaana...','poonthendraley...' etc... so much bhavam in her voice!
My fav 'gangai nadhiyoram raman nadanthaan....' (namba Raaja :clap: :D is associated with this song!) very romantic song, what a way to celebrate new wife!! Vani with KJJ, superb orchestra, listen to the interludes, tune , fantastic lyrics, fabulous!!!

Ramki
26th July 2005, 04:54 AM
Very glad to see you all love the selections.

Naaz it could be vaali. The CD i have says its VM. Btw your request will be up next week

Ramki
26th July 2005, 05:11 AM
Pick #144

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/poovai_dp.rm

Song: poovai oru poovendru
Film: deiva piravi
Singers: PSuseela, SPB
Lyrics: ?
Music: Shankar Ganesh

Another inspired tune by SG. PS voice sounds so husky and sweet(and she never overdoes it).
'Deiva piravi' is tamil remake of 'tohfa' (sridevi, jayapradha,jitendra) and tohfa was remake of a telugu hit directed by raghavendra rao(the title keeps eluding me).
Vijays 'ninaithen vandhai' was also inspired from the same film.
In tamil Mohan, urvasi and Radhika(i think) were the actors. I guess urvasi did sridevi's role and radhika did jp's.
Deivapiravi had couple more average songs. (sorry nope can't remember any of them:))

S.Balaji
26th July 2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks Balaji for those VJ's gems!!
Vani Jayaram is one gifted artist who can sing with lilt and ease. I am forever addicted to her 'enullil yengo....', 'en kalyaana...','poonthendraley...' etc... so much bhavam in her voice!
My fav 'gangai nadhiyoram raman nadanthaan....' (namba Raaja :clap: :D is associated with this song!) very romantic song, what a way to celebrate new wife!! Vani with KJJ, superb orchestra, listen to the interludes, tune , fantastic lyrics, fabulous!!!

Friend,

Gangai nadhiyoram - KJY with VJ , one of the melodious songs. I think it was composed by GK venkatesh or Vijayabaskar, I am not sure. By the way, do you want to know who was behind that song ???
It was none other than the one and only Ilayaraja !!!

There is another song - Muthu muthu therottam yennai mogam thallattum - Shankar Ganesh

rajeshkrv
26th July 2005, 02:18 PM
a nice song ramki

thanks

deivapiravi had one more good song by PJ & PS too

SN23
26th July 2005, 04:38 PM
Ramki,

DP had 5 duets. Bulk order to PS. All by her (4 with SPBalu, One with JC).

I am not able to listen to this song. But I doubt whether it was sung by Jayachandran OR SPBalu? There are 4 other songs mArappu potta, mounam ennum, nil nil, pAnayile kAl. I thought these are sung by PS with SPBala.

SG did a good job for a lousy movie. I think Rama Naidu produced the movie. Two songs with Mohan and Oorvasi was with very rich background. 1000 kudam / pAnai behind...

Sivaji-Padmini Deiva Piravi enga? Idhu enga?

Radhika was atrocious throughout the movie. ho that death-bed scene... ellam Odi vandhuduvAnga... :lol:

balaji
26th July 2005, 05:26 PM
Ramki

The telugu original was 'Devata' -- Shoban Babu, Sri and Jaya. Hindi movie was bad too..

I believe some of the songs by SG was lifted from the original SG songs..

Nice song though! Thanks Ramki!

Bala

From Mars
26th July 2005, 07:47 PM
I Saw the Hindi version of the song, really good. I don't think the tamil version doesn't even come close to the hindi version.

Naaz
26th July 2005, 10:27 PM
Ramki -

"Inspired" song indeed! :D
I know the hindi tune! However, the name of the film and composer escapes me (Here's an educated guess: It was a telugu remake in Hindi and starred Jeetendra :lol: And the MD would be the duo L-P or the singular Bhappi Lahiri...I also feel that his music was equally "garish" for these tel-2-hindi transfers!! So let me bet on BL!)
Tohfa was a reworking of Kalyana Parisu, wrapped in heavy-duty jigna-dust!
And I look forward to the requested duet !

Baroque/Vinatha -
Gangai Nadhi Oram is an evergreen tune. The MD was R. Govardhanam, I think.

S.Balaji
26th July 2005, 11:01 PM
Ramki -

"Baroque/Vinatha -
Gangai Nadhi Oram is an evergreen tune. The MD was R. Govardhanam, I think.

Naaz,

I think the md must be - either G.K.Venkatesh or Vijayabaskar

Ramki
27th July 2005, 05:34 AM
Thank you everyone for details.
Naaz 'poovai' sounds very similar to 'poovo poNNo poovizhi maano'(pudhu yugam-GA). I'm not sure which came first

Ramki
27th July 2005, 07:28 AM
Pick #144

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/poravale_mpm.rm

Song: poravaLe poravaLe
Film: makkaLai petra maharaasi
Singers: PBanumathi, TMS
Lyrics: Marudhakasi
Music: KVMahadevan

Thanks to KVM,TMS, PB and Marudhakasi, a simple folk tune sound so grand. The lyrics charmingly brings out the innocence and romance of village folks. What a contrast to the vulgar lyrics by current lyricists.
MPM was one of the best albums by KVM for a sivaji film.
'Manapaarai veedu katti', 'ondru serndha anbu maaruma' , 'mayanghaadha manam yaavum mayangum' are some of the hit numbers from MPM.
I think MPM was the first movie by APN, coule be wrong though.

tvsankar
27th July 2005, 10:48 AM
Dear Ramki,
Thanks for the selection!!!! :o
Nethu dhan amma kittae indha songai patri pesinaen.Dhool.com la Themmangu series patri pesum podhu pesindom. Angae play panna solli kekka ninaithaen.Thanks a lot!!!!
Neenga sonna other songs ellam ennoda favourite nos.Ellam en paatti solli ennai impress panniyadhu.
:lol:
Thanks a lot!!! Neenga sonna other songaiyum tfm la podugalaen.
I wll wait for that day!!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
27th July 2005, 11:53 AM
poravaLe poravaLe an excellent folkish song, though PB's accent still had telugu touch. Lovely song. Thanks Ramki

madhu
27th July 2005, 12:52 PM
'Manapaarai veedu katti', 'ondru serndha anbu maaruma' , 'mayanghaadha manam yaavum mayangum' are some of the hit numbers from MPM

Hi Ramki!

I think "mayangadha manam" is from Kanji thalaivan.. isnt it ?

tvsankar
27th July 2005, 05:50 PM
Hi,
Adhu "Manapaarai maadu katti
Mayavaram yeru pooti"
Maadu is famous from manapaarai

Yeru is famous from mayavaram :lol:
AGri vishayamaga tamil natla endha oor edharku famous nu varum indha song la.ENaku romba pidikum.
"Aathuru kichadi samba
Pathu vangi vedhai vedhachu"

"Pollachi sandhaiylae
Virudhu nagar vyabhariku
vithu pottu
Panathai ennu chella kannu"
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 06:04 PM
Hi,
Mayavaram yeru pooti"

AGri vishayamaga tamil natla endha oor edharku famous nu varum indha song la.ENaku romba pidikum.
"Aathuru kichadi samba

"Pollachi sandhaiylae
Virudhu nagar vyabhariku
vithu pottu
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

anbulla Usahjiiii,

I have sent a message to your personal folder. can you pls go through and revert back to me pls.

Endrum Anbudan

S.Balaji

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 06:08 PM
Hi,
Mayavaram yeru pooti"

"Aathuru kichadi samba

"Pollachi sandhaiylae
Virudhu nagar vyabhariku
vithu pottu
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Dear Ushaji,

THere is a similar song like this manaparai - Thanjavuru maneduthu , thamarabarani thanni eduthu - Murali and Meena, directed by Cheran I think.

Music by Deva - It is a solid copy from - Thaallaatu paadi thayaga vendum , naaalaga ennaasai chinnamma.

Do you know this song

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 06:15 PM
Dear Ushaji,

In manaparai song, there is a touch of humour also !!

Setha panatha sikkanamaa , selavu seyya pakkuvamaa ,

AMMA KAYILA KODHUPODU CHELLA KANNU,

UNGA AMMA KAYILA KODHUPODU CHELLA KANNU.

Shame shame, the writer had no faith on wife it seems !!!??????

He insisted to hand over the money to Amma only !!! ??

I NEED YOUR FAST REACTION TO THIS LINE !!!!!

tvsankar
27th July 2005, 07:26 PM
Balaji,
YES YES!!!!
Enakum acceptance illai in these lines!!!!
Or ippadi irukumo? Before marriage!!!! Appo adhu correct dhanae!!! :lol:
AVanaga ara nooru akuvanga chella kannu!!!!!
So idhai before marriage nu consider panni excuse pannidalam!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
BTW , I have only one SON!!!! :lol:
Just for joke!!! Dont take it as serious!!! :lol:
With Love,
Usha Sankar.
Neenga sonna indha song Thaalaatu paadi - ennudaiya favourite no . Indha film il varum ella songum enaku romba pidikum.
1.Sondham eppodhum dhodar kadhai dhan
2. Sandhanathil nalla vasam eduthu
Neenga sonna indha film Praptham
and the todays's film MPM indha 2 film um ennudaiya 7th std holidayla ennudiaya maami ,"nalla film pakkanam" nu solli ,kutindu ponanga.Already mor song parthadhum ninaivu vandhadhu.Ippo nenga vera indha song solli ennudaiya olden days ai ninaika vechuteenga!!!
One more film appo pathadhu "Uravuku Kai kodupom" Anal indha film pathi onnum ninaivu illai.Yennu theiryalai.Unity patriya story dhan.

Ennudaiya chinna vayadhil,. ennai chuthi nalla periyavanga irundhu irukanga nu ippo ninaichukaraen.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 07:41 PM
Balaji,
YES YES!!!!
Enakum acceptance illai in these lines!!!!
Or ippadi irukumo? Before marriage!!!! Appo adhu correct dhanae!!! :lol:
AVanaga ara nooru akuvanga chella kannu!!!!!
So idhai before marriage nu consider panni excuse pannidalam!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
BTW , I have only one SON!!!! :lol:
Just for joke!!! Dont take it as serious!!! :lol:
With Love,
Usha Sankar.
Neenga sonna indha song Thaalaatu paadi - ennudaiya favourite no . Indha film il varum ella songum enaku romba pidikum.
1.Sondham eppodhum dhodar kadhai dhan
2. Sandhanathil nalla vasam eduthu
Neenga sonna indha film Praptham
and the todays's film MPM indha 2 film um ennudaiya 7th std holidayla ennudiaya maami ,"nalla film pakkanam" nu solli ,kutindu ponanga.Already mor song parthadhum ninaivu vandhadhu.Ippo nenga vera indha song solli ennudaiya olden days ai ninaika vechuteenga!!!
One more film appo pathadhu "Uravuku Kai kodupom" Anal indha film pathi onnum ninaivu illai.Yennu theiryalai.Unity patriya story dhan.

Ennudaiya chinna vayadhil,. ennai chuthi nalla periyavanga irundhu irukanga nu ippo ninaichukaraen.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Dear Ushaji,

Thanks for sharing your memories of yesteryears.

Sandhanathil nalla vaasam eduthu -

This song and picture was also played in Hindi by Sunil Dutt. I dont remember the heroene. While going in a boat, they will sing the hindi version.

I love the song - Sondham eppodhum thodarkathai thaan mudivay elladhadhu.

Engay sendraaalum thedikidaikum iniyakadhai idhu.

Ennai unnodu serkavaikum , pudhiyakathai edhu.

Lovely words. Who wrote this ?? Is it Kavignar or Valee

ultimately what you mentioned is 100 % correct. We will be today as what we have been brought up by our parents and grand parents . You have summed up the whole truth in one sentence.

At the same time, we all have a moral responsibility to impart all values in life to our next generation also. THis is my sincere opinion

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts.

I wish more and more positive and healthy such discussions continue in this great forum

tvsankar
27th July 2005, 07:52 PM
Yes Balaji,
Idhai solla vandhu dhan niruthi vittaen.Vayasanavanga advice madhri aga poradhu nu oru bayam :lol:
Sure Balaji.Ennal mudindha varai en son ku ella nalladhaium kaati koduthundu irukaen.
Indha pc yai um oru nalla vishayam pakkara oru machine a than kaati koduthu irukaen.Elllavatrilum nalla side ai pakka kathu kodukaraen.
En veetu manushanga ellarukum ingae irukum nalla vishayangalai share pannipaen.
En amma indha page ku fan.Amma ku yetha madhri thread open panni kodupaen.Enjoy pauuvanga.
Today song ammaku romba sandhosham. Thannoda olden days ai share pannidanga en kitae.
With LOve,
Usha Sankar.

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 10:20 PM
Ushajiii,

I remember -

Maaperum sabaigalil nee nadanthal unakku maalaigal viza vendum

Oru maasu kuraiyaadha mannavan evanendru potri pugaza vendum

Golden words from Kavignar.

Accham enbadhu madamaiadaa anjaamai dravida udamaiyadaa

Manithan enbavan deivamaagalaam , vaari vaari vazangumbodhu vallal aagalam

Mayakkamaaa kalakamaa manadhilay kuzapaamaa

Unakkum kezay ullavar kodi ninaithu paarthu nimmadhi naadu - WHat a wonderful wording . I always keep on remembering these phrases whenever I am down .

These quotes refresh me

S.Balaji

Ramki
28th July 2005, 06:49 AM
Madhu,
You are correct. Its from kaanchi thalaivan
PB solo in MPM is 'sonna pechai kekkanum'

Ushashankar,
Glad to see you loved the song(and also your mom).
Regarding 'amma kaiyile'
amma could mean both wife and mother illaiyaa?
'amma veetle illaiya'..'vaangittu pomaa' commonly used sentences
ammangradhu general termnnu ninaikkiren especialy when addressing others wife or mom

Ramki
28th July 2005, 07:19 AM
Pick #144

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/manjal_uv.rm

Song: manjaL poosi manjam
Film: ungaL viruppam
Singers: kovai soundarrajan, LRAnjali
Lyrics: vaali?
Music: VijayaBhaskar

A funny song, one of the best of LRA and KS. The song is picturised on manorama and thengai(in drag).
I think Lakshmi and jaishanakar acted in UV. Not very sure.
What are the other songs from UV? anyone?

tvsankar
28th July 2005, 09:29 AM
Dear Ramki,
You are correct.In village, neenga solra madhiri dhan solvanga!!! Ninaivu varudhu.Yes indha meaning la solli irukanam. :D
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

SN23
28th July 2005, 12:15 PM
Ramki, UV's lead pair is Jai and Jayachitra. It was an immediate next release to kalyanamam kalyanam (same pair, same type of scenes with anthakshari etc etc). Nothing good except Thengai and Manorama and this song.

hehehewalrus
28th July 2005, 12:50 PM
Very interesting and informative discussion on yesterday's song :D

Interestingly there was a famous Patti mandram by Leoni in Pongal Day 2003 I think - Nagarathu Vazhkkai vs Gramathu Vazhkkai. There this song is sung to thrust the simple superiority of village life. The pattimandram is available somewhere on the net(if anyone wants a copy of the files, inform me :))

S.Balaji
28th July 2005, 04:39 PM
Madhu,
You are correct. Its from kaanchi thalaivan
PB solo in MPM is 'sonna pechai kekkanum'

Ushashankar,
Glad to see you loved the song(and also your mom).
Regarding 'amma kaiyile'
amma could mean both wife and mother illaiyaa?
'amma veetle illaiya'..'vaangittu pomaa' commonly used sentences
ammangradhu general termnnu ninaikkiren especialy when addressing others wife or mom

Hello Ramki,

Coming back to Manaparai maadu katti.

There will be a STREES again on - UNGA AMMA KAYILA KODUTHU PODU CHELLAKANNU !!!.

My interpretation is MOTHER only here !!!!!!! and not wife ??

S.Balaji

saradhaa_sn
28th July 2005, 07:16 PM
Dear Balaji....

Your song 'Thanjavur mannu eduthu' created some intentions on me to know about some songs includes towns/cities/villages of Tamil Nadu. As per my memory

1) Manapparai maadu katti.....(MPM)
2) Thanjavur mannu eduthu...(Porkaalam)
3) Maduraiyil Parandha meen kodoyai...(Poova Thalaiyaa)
4) Enne maanamulla ponnu endru maduraiyile kettaaga...(Movie..?)

Same like that, in the song "manisha...manisha..poliruppaalaa" (Ninaiththen Vandhaai) too much actress names included.

and another one "Udhayam theatreil en idhayathai tholaithen"..by Deva (Movie..?)... many theatre names in Chennai included...

any more songs..?... please continue.....

S.Balaji
28th July 2005, 07:26 PM
Dear Balaji....

Your song 'Thanjavur mannu eduthu' created some intentions on me to know about some songs includes towns/cities/villages of Tamil Nadu. As per my memory

1) Manapparai maadu katti.....(MPM)
2) Thanjavur mannu eduthu...(Porkaalam)
3) Maduraiyil Parandha meen kodoyai...(Poova Thalaiyaa)
4) Enne maanamulla ponnu endru maduraiyile kettaaga...(Movie..?)

Same like that, in the song "manisha...manisha..poliruppaalaa" (Ninaiththen Vandhaai) too much actress names included.

and another one "Udhayam theatreil en idhayathai tholaithen"..by Deva (Movie..?)... many theatre names in Chennai included...

any more songs..?... please continue.....

I will find out such songs.

ALso recollect the song - Cho and Manorama - Beautiful , Marvellous, Excellent, very very excellent - Nee pirandhirukka vendiyathu England - I dont recollect the movie name

Here all movie names will appear.

Again as you mentioned - Manisha polliruppaala - Mani vannan and others cajoling Vijay I think

balaji
29th July 2005, 06:56 PM
Ramki

Wasn't there a VJ-SPB duet song something like 'Enna Maharani, Azhagu Azhagu , some Pazhagu Pazhagu; in Ungal Viruppam.

Thanks for the 'Manjal Pusi'.. song
Bala

madhu
31st July 2005, 09:23 AM
Balaji !

I think the song u mentioned is from "manam oru kurangu"
"beautiful.. marvellous excelent.. very very excellent..
nee piRandhirukka vENdiyadhu EnglaNd"

even in latest song "tirunelveli alwa-da" is having names of many towns..

limited names appear in songs like "kanchi pattuduthi" from "vayasu poNNu" and "kutrAla malaiyilE kudhithu vandha thamizhilE" from "uyirA mAnamA"

S.Balaji
31st July 2005, 02:11 PM
Balaji !

even in latest song "tirunelveli alwa-da" is having names of many towns..

limited names appear in songs like "kanchi pattuduthi" from "vayasu poNNu" and "kutrAla malaiyilE kudhithu vandha thamizhilE" from "uyirA mAnamA"

Madhu,

Kanji paduthi kasturi pottu vaithu - Lovely song - KJY and music by MSV. I think Jay Ganesh and Roja ramani were the stars in that song

Kutrala alayilay - I think Muthuraman and ??? paired on that song. I think Sirgazi sang that song . Thats nice song as well

madhu
31st July 2005, 03:56 PM
Hi Balaji !

the actress in "kutrala malaiyilE" is Krishnakumari, sister of Sowcar Janaki.

S.Balaji
31st July 2005, 04:28 PM
Hi Balaji !

the actress in "kutrala malaiyilE" is Krishnakumari, sister of Sowcar Janaki.

Oh my God, she will look like some Russian woman !!!

We used to call her as KKMari !!!!!

Ramki
3rd August 2005, 03:21 AM
Pick #145

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/santhanam_tk.rm

Song: sandhanam poosa
Film: thudikkum karangaL
Singers: Sjanaki, SPB
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
Music: SPB

Song sponsor Naaz. He writes:

With Thudikkum Karangal, Sridhar grabbed the neck of his own imagination, and didn't let go. Call it wishful (non)thinking or creative epilepsy (note title) this film did not do what he'd hoped it would do for him: keep him au courant, viable and relevant. Didn't happen.
Rajnikanth, Radha, Jai Shankar and Sujatha were as bad (or good) as they can be, and while I remember precious little about the film, some unforgettable lines by the thudikkum (or thudikka vaikkappatta?) janangal after the lights still burn up like halogens.
I'll spare you :-)

SP Balasubramaniam scored the music, and the songs have the signature elements of all the MDs he has sung for. The featured duet captures this diversity within the arrangement, particularly in the interludes, transitions, chorus sections. For all that is derivative, the tune locks you into a zany lilt, perfect for a vacant moment - or few.
A balm. For those who'd left their keys behind.

Sandhanam poosa manjal nilaavum
Vandhanam enru nenjil ulaavum naeram
Vinnilavu paalootta pennilavu thaalaatta
Neelaambari kaetkalaam

Maanikka megangal vairangal vinmeengal
Naan thandha kaadhal seedhanam
Maanikka megangal vairangal vinmeengal
Naan thandha kaadhal seedhanam
Ilavaenir kaalangal reengaara naadhangal
Isai vandu paadum moganam

Nee paarkkum naerangal nilam paarkkum naanangal
Nenjukkul aedho seidhana
Nee paarkkum naerangal nilam paarkkum naanangal
Nenjukkul aedho seidhana
Idhamaaga mai pottu imaiyennum kai pottu
Un kanngal ennaik koidhana

S.Balaji
3rd August 2005, 10:58 AM
Ramki,

Another song - Adadaa edhuthan sugamo . SPB and SJ in Thudikum karangal. Nice one

rajdes
3rd August 2005, 11:14 AM
I hear SPB's composing style is to hum the complete tune to his assistants and leave the rest to them. I dont think he even decides the interludes.So, the orchestration and arrangement credit must go to his assistants - probably the assistants had imbibed standard stuff from MD's they had worked with previously and hence all the elements from previous MD's.

Anyone has further insider info?

yvsmani
3rd August 2005, 12:57 PM
another noteworthy song is : megam munthanai by SPB, VJ

SPB's music was good in sigaram and the latest unnidam saranadainthen where IR, MSV and SPB together sing a song abt friendship

S.Balaji
3rd August 2005, 02:09 PM
another noteworthy song is : megam munthanai by SPB, VJ

SPB's music was good in sigaram and the latest unnidam saranadainthen where IR, MSV and SPB together sing a song abt friendship

YVSMani,

Yes you are right. Nice song as well. I feel SPB did fairly well in that movie. Could not understand why he didnt pursue with MD .

Yes, Sikaram - Edho edho en pallavi , Agaram eppo sigaram aachu

nice songs.

Naaz
3rd August 2005, 06:42 PM
Ramki -

Manjalum Sandhanamum....Semmaththiyaana Poosal! :D Aduththadhu Kunkumam? Trinity, Trident, Touche?
Thanks for featuring this duet - it has been worth the wait!
"Sponsor" to me equals "Paid for By" (which I didn't) so "Courtesy" would work for me :) And thanks for overlooking the hearing (Vaan and not Naan Thandha) and transliteration glitches.
Does this song have a trace of "Ilaigal Meedhum Malargal Meedhum Pani Vizhum Kaalam?" (Janani?) in the interludes?

yvsmani -

I am not too fond of Megam Mundhaanai. Thenagaththil Holi? That's one reason. The other is the echo of "Koovungal Sevalgalae" (Raanuva Veeran) when I hear Megam. Just me, I guess?
However, Adada Ithudhaan is a lovely number. SJ-SPB = Spontaneous Combustion! :wink:

Neel D
3rd August 2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the nice song Ramki. After reading the writeup where Naaz says that SPB's music resembles many other MDs, I tried to match this composition with others' and the closest I came to was Shankar-Ganesh. Naaz, yes it is very much like "ilaigaL mIdhum" which is by S-G from the film "Kulirkaala Megangal", which is also a Sridhar movie that was not that interesting to watch. The song from "Janani" is "konjum malar manjam" which is also a nice light-classical, by MSV. In general, SPB's music had a lot of HFM and TeFM influence, in my opinion.

Naaz
4th August 2005, 01:20 AM
Neel D -

So you hear the Ilaigal trace as well? Thanks!
And Konjum Malar Manjam is another fine duet. Isn't this the one where the line "Idaiyenna Iraivanaa?" can be heard? What a line! :wink:

In the featured duet, SPB pronounces Seedhanam as Seedhanovm (the m becomes more of a ovm sound?) I've noted this about his singing around similar words (Deivam becomes Dheiv-ovm in another song) Is this ending (inflection?) an accepted necessity in TFM? Say, like, Ilavaenir turning to Ilavaenil, or Nenjam scaled as Neljam? Can the experts enlighten please?

Ramki -
I have a rare IR song (ok, may not be so rare to you given your own personal collection :) ) which I will soon be sending your way...

Ramki
4th August 2005, 03:50 AM
Raj,
Very interesting. Thoudh he did very few films in tamil(sigaram, tk, thaiyalkaaran,unnidam saranadainthen) he did quite a number of telugu films. Mayuri and sigaram are my favorite albums.

Naaz you did pay , not by money but with time:). Looking forward to your IR song

Ramki
4th August 2005, 03:55 AM
Pick #146

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/azhagaaga_uk.rm

Song: azhagaaga nee aadu
Film: thanvinai thannaichudum
Singers: PSuseela, MLSrikanth
Lyrics:Thanjai Ananda Padmanabhan
Music: MLSrikanth

Thanks to NeelD for sending this rare song. He writes:

TFM has seen so many music directors over the years. Everyone of them
has contributed great songs and enriched TFM. However, it was always
one or two that dominated the industry, at any given time, and all
others had to just take the backseat and eventually disappear. Either
disappear from the scene totally, or move on to other languages or go
the devotional music way or just become a musician for other music
directors. M.L.Srikanth is one of those music directors. I don't know
how many films he has composed music for, but the most known is
"Ninaippathu Niraiverum". Of course, the title song "Ninaippathu
Niraiverum" from that film sung by M.L.Srikanth and Vani Jairam is
popular to this day. Another lovely song from the same movie is a
solo
by VJ "Ennendru Solvenadi". I don't know about other songs from that
film.

There are only five film songs that I know for sure were composed by
MLS, and I like them all. The already mentioned two songs from
"Ninaippathu Niraiverum" and three other songs, a duet by MLS&SJ, a
duet by MLS&PS and a solo by MLS.

The duet with SJ is "vaLLuvan kuRaLil sol eduppEn" from the film
"Kalyana Valaiyosai" which is quite popular though not often heard.
The
solo "kaNgaL thEduthu oLi engE" from the film "Pesu Maname Pesu" was
very popular in its days. But today I am presenting his duet with PS
-
"azhagAga nI Adu". It seems as though MLS wanted to sing a duet with
all famous female singers of the time. I wonder if he has sung any
with
LRE. I don't know what film "azagAga nI Adu" is from. Also I am only
guessing that he must have composed this song based on the style and
of
course because he is the singer.

RC
4th August 2005, 05:42 AM
Ramki: link work-layee..

Ramki
4th August 2005, 06:01 AM
RC ippo tryunga

RC
4th August 2005, 06:19 AM
Ramki: tyr-inen.. work-udhu.. Thanks!

SN23
4th August 2005, 11:03 AM
Enakkum work pannalai Ramki.

Though I have not heard this song, being presented by Neel with good effort in finding, I would say this must be a good one.

MLS had good voice, in my view, better than AL Ragavan. Did not become popular though. Apart from Ninaippadu niraiverum (good duet though VJ steals the show), his humming in KAdhal kAdhal endru pEsa was really loevly. Complete fit for Ravichadran.

If am lucky, I will hear this song. We will come to know at least the year range, listening to PS voice.

yvsmani
4th August 2005, 12:58 PM
Naaz :
regarding megan munthanai - i could feel similarity atlest in the beginning with koovungal sevalgalae......... but VJ's voice is a treat for me as usual

Naaz
4th August 2005, 08:23 PM
Ramki -
Anytime ! :)

Neel D -

Have never heard this one. PS brings a charming youthfulness in her rendition, and MLS wins with an earthy timbre. I'd also like to hear his duet with SJ - Irukaa?

yvsmani -

In Megam Mundhanai the singing is above par, but it is the tune and the "seval" ociation that really rubs me the wrong way :)

Are the linguists on leave?

thenraja
4th August 2005, 09:06 PM
Pick #146

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/azhagaaga_uk.rm

Film: ?
Singers: PSuseela, MLSrikanth
Music: MLSrikanth

Ramki,
From the information Kalai gave me for updating PS list at psusheela.org

Fim: Thanvinai thannaichchudum
Year: 1978
Music: M.L. Srikanth
Lyrics: Thanjai Ananda Padmanabhan
Actress: Padmapriya (do not know who the actor is)
Banner: Ananada Padmanaban Movies
Record: EMI

Neel/Ramki,
Can I use this file at psusheela.org along with sk's rare songs?
Thanks
Thenraja
Note: The song link works for me. I remember listening to this song on Radio many years ago.

Neel D
4th August 2005, 10:48 PM
Ramki, thanks for featuring the song I sent.

SN23, thanks for the confidence. It is a nice song. Hope you were able to listen to it.

Naaz, I have "vaLLuvan kuRaLil" by MLS&SJ with me. Just a couple of days ago I listened to another song on the radio which may be another duet by MLS&SJ. It goes something like "mottu virinthathu mullai malarnthathu siriththEn... udal silirththEn". But I dont have this song with me.

thenraja, thanks for the details. Please send me an email.

thenraja
4th August 2005, 11:01 PM
thenraja, thanks for the details. Please send me an email.
Neel,
I have sent a PM to you.

Music4Ever
5th August 2005, 12:33 AM
I happened to watch Thudikkum karangaL and wondered who the MD was, since there were MSV- and IR-type songs in it. Megam mundhAnai has a MSV touch, especially where the male goes "vAnam ennum kumari poNNU..." the MSV equivalent being "ennaikkum needhanadi enakku poNdAtti". There was one more number which reminded me of the MSV number "Imayam kandEN .. pon thottil kattum nEpaLathin ..." Still there were enough nonstandard musical elements (in the sense of not being from either of the musical stalwarts) which made me wonder if the music was by a non-regular TFM MD (like Manoj Gyan etc). Now I know it is by SPB. I love the mEgam mundhAnai song.

Ramki
5th August 2005, 05:27 AM
thenraja
Thank you for the details. I thik Jaiganesh was the hero in thanvinai thannaisudum.
If its ok with NeelD, I do not have any problem sharing the file with you.

Ramki
5th August 2005, 06:06 AM
Pick #147

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/uravugal_kak.rm

Song: uravugaL oru sirukadhaiyalla
Film: kaavalan avan kovalan
Singer: SPB
Lyrics:Vaali
Music: Vijay Anand

I had totally forgotten this cute song until a couple of weeks back. As soon as i started listening to it i was able to sing the full song. This was tiruchi and kovai vaanolis favorite and mine too. Vaalis vairamuthuvish lyrics combined with Vijay Anands music makes it a pleasant one. And ofcourse SPB sings it in his usual casual way.

KOK ,Visu's another flop movie had Prabhu(dual role),Rekha,Madhuri etc. Not sure about the story line but Vijayanand came with 3 good songs..todays pick, 'oruvanukku oruthiyena'(VJ, chitra) and one more song with MV,JC and Visu.

As far as i know VA did only 2 films: 'naan adimai illai' and KOK. Both had good songs but unfortunately he did not get many offers.Was he the MD for 'sannidhi pookaL'? FM?:)

yvsmani
5th August 2005, 01:31 PM
ramki : intha pattai gyabagapadithiyatharkku nandri. I used to listen it in tiruchi vaanoli.

From Mars
5th August 2005, 06:50 PM
Ramki :)

Yes sanidhi pookaL MD is by VA. It had few good songs.

Neel D
5th August 2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the nice song Ramki. The song is trying to convey some story and serious emotions though the arrangement (mis)leads you to believe that this may be a happy song. Nice work!

I think Vijay Anand also composed music for Oorukku Upadesam (sounds like a Visu title). It had the seductive number "tharavA nAn thara vA" by VJ. We talked about this song at length in VJ thread.

Naaz
5th August 2005, 08:56 PM
Ramki -

Back to those transistor days with this one! Thanks! Hope your collection of these rarities is...mmm...err...bottomless! :)
Neel D beat me to the Tharavaa citation. One of my all time top VJ solos!
Got you PM. Will reply before the day is out.

Neel D -
Oorukku Upadesam was a filmaakam of Visu's Avargalukku Vayadhu Vandhuvittadhu stage-play, I think.

Naaz
6th August 2005, 07:17 PM
yvsmani -

Vaasam Veesum is a Vaasamaana song for sure!
I have the same "aanandha" feeling when I listen to "Andha Naeram Poruththirundhaal Nalla Anubhavam Kidaiththriukkum..."
Pillow Talk has never been so Pleasurable!

Ramki
8th August 2005, 06:40 AM
Pick #148

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/neepaadum_ekk.rm

Song: nee paadum paadal
Film: engaiyo ketta kural
Singer: SJanaki
Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam
Music: iLaiayraja

I often see people comparing Rajinikanth to MGR. IMO, Rajinikanth is a much much better actor than MGR. MGR was just a good looking
stuntsman with lots and lots of luck. Rajinikanth on the other hand is a versatile actor who could do villainy, comedy or drama in his own style. He did that until he got into the super star mould. After gaining his super start status , he very rarely did offbeat films . Engaiyo ketta kural is one such film. I thouroughly enjoyed his acting in EKK. He played the role of an innocent villager madly in love with his maaman magaL(Ambika) who elopes with jamindars son after giving birth to rajinis daughter. The transformation Rajini showed from a loose talking villager to emotionally cheated husband was an award winning performance.
Radha, who played sister to Ambika, and later marries Rajini gave an equally good performance. IMO Ambika was the weakest link of the film. She overplayed her role and was quiet irritating in the tail end of the movie(When she pleads mercy from Rajini).
Actress Meena played the daughter's role.
IR came up with 3 good songs
'thaiyum naane'(SJ)-my favorite
'pattu vanna selaikaari'(MV) and
'nee paadum'(SJ-todays pick).
The average song was 'aathoram kaathaada' By jency for Radha.

Neel D
8th August 2005, 07:03 AM
In the featured duet, SPB pronounces Seedhanam as Seedhanovm (the m becomes more of a ovm sound?) I've noted this about his singing around similar words (Deivam becomes Dheiv-ovm in another song) Is this ending (inflection?) an accepted necessity in TFM? Say, like, Ilavaenir turning to Ilavaenil, or Nenjam scaled as Neljam? Can the experts enlighten please?

Naaz,

Pronouncing "am" as "au" is a common technique used by classical singers. While it may sound a little strange in light music, it just makes it easier to sing the legato when you don't pronounce the "am". Pronouncing the "am" makes you close the mouth and the continuity is lost, unless you proceed through the nose.

iLavEniRkAlanggaL may be right grammatically. But iLavEnil kAlanggaL is not necessarily wrong. Whichever (iR or il) makes the song sound beautiful can be chosen. I think SPB chose "il" because it went with the "iL"s in kAlanggaL and nANanggaL.

nenjam becomes neljam, which is another commonly used technique, if the song calls for holding the note too long on the "inj", or any oRRu for that matter. They add an extra oRRu to make it flow off the tongue smoothly. Otherwise, it will sound like the singer is struggling to sing.

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 11:32 AM
Naaz and Neel,

Even while pronouncing the word.... KINNAM also ... I have heard some singers ... sa KILNAM...... Another mystery only... Probably experts can voice their opinion.

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 11:44 AM
[quote="Ramki"]

I often see people comparing Rajinikanth to MGR. IMO, Rajinikanth is a much much better actor than MGR. MGR was just a good looking
stuntsman with lots and lots of luck. Rajinikanth on the other hand is a versatile actor who could do villainy, comedy or drama in his own style.

Ramki,

I find your analysis of MGR with Rajini strange and unfounded.

What you mentioned as LOTS OF LUCK !!! is not true at all...
You had also mentioned.....
Probably you have little idea on who MGR was... and that had prompted you to comment like that...
MGR with his limitations as an actor but successfully and briallliantly positioned himself in the industry from various angles like :

1. Stunt fights
2. Excellent songs ..... Nobody can question MGR's taste on this.... the fact that Shankar Ganesh did some great songs is a testimony to MGR's flair for music.
3. Excellent picturisation.....
4. By the late 60s... it was quite evident that MGR was the shadow or defacto director for all his movies....
5. Ulgam sutrum vaaliban is a classic example of MGR's skills as a director....... Even the great KB found impossible to edit the scenes when he was requested by MGR to view the first release and acknowledged that MGR is great..
6. The way MGR positioned himself with the masses and spread the message of poor through his powerpacked songs ...
7. MGR .... if he had not taken up acting profession.. WOULD HAVE BECOME A SUCCESSFUL MARKETING PROFESSIONAL.... I say this emphatically ... because of the way he strategised himself for the elections and defeated a LEGEND Karunanidhi who is still a master of politics......

First of all.. comparing MGR with Rajini is absurd..... both are extremes....

I wish you withdraw your comments like..... MGR was lucky.....

You better go back by 40 - 50 years and check with your elders and they will let you know about THE GREAT MGR.

By the way, I am a fan of Rajini as well but I know the difference and distance between Rajini and MGR.

Neel D
8th August 2005, 11:55 AM
Naaz and Neel,

Even while pronouncing the word.... KINNAM also ... I have heard some singers ... sa KILNAM...... Another mystery only... Probably experts can voice their opinion.

S.Balaji,

Like I said, "any oRRu" can be inflected.

yvsmani
8th August 2005, 01:48 PM
Naaz, Neel D - In oorukku ubadhesam , urvasi played a double role.

Naaz - reg antha neram, especially the ending lines antha neram....... is superb. oru chinna voice modulation antha idaththil irukkum

rajdes
8th August 2005, 02:54 PM
S.Balaji,
Spare the ballistic missiles - All Ramki said was "Rajni, in his -Ramki's - opinion, was a better ACTOR than MGR.
None of what you said detracts that claim.
In any case, that was clearly posed as his OPINION.
We all forget to comprehend, right, before pouncing on others? :-)

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 03:13 PM
S.Balaji,
Spare the ballistic missiles - All Ramki said was "Rajni, in his -Ramki's - opinion, was a better ACTOR than MGR.
None of what you said detracts that claim.
In any case, that was clearly posed as his OPINION.
We all forget to comprehend, right, before pouncing on others? :-)

Mate,

Mr. Ramki is a moderator !! and my missiles are all SCUDS !! harmless :)

Everybody knows what limitations MGR had as an ACTOR .

If you guys know at what age MGR reached his peak .. you will be amazed by his staying power.

What I have highlighted is a respose to his words ..... MGR WAS LUCKY...... ???

What does that convey ?? I wish Mr. Ramki comes out with his explanation on ... MGR IS LUCKY .....

balaji
8th August 2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the excellent song Ramki. I loved the jency song too. EKK was a great movie.

Ananda Vikatan which reviewed Sakakala Vallavan the previous week and largely critical of the movies as a dud (Got some either 38/100 or 35-40 range, I am not sure), was all praise for EKK the following week from the same team of SPM, Panju and IR. It got 50+. Infact if I remember Ambika did get praise, much to my surprise. Saw the movie in Krishnaveni and my mother just loved the movie. Rajni at his best. Ir was simply superb. Songs were so pleasant to suit the mood. Pattu Vanna and Thayum Naane were excellent. (one of the few Malaysia Vasu songs I like because of the singer. SJ excels in Thayum Nane).

Unfortunately as we all know Sakakala Vallavan went on to create records and EKK truned out to be a average grosser, sealing the lid for Rajini to try anything different. Next year the same team gave Payum Puli (COpied scenes from 36 chamber) and did become a hit. Sorry state, Panju and SPM continued to create such duds. (For AVM and other banners)

Thanks once again

Bala

app_engine
8th August 2005, 06:14 PM
`thAyum nAnE, thanga iLamAnE' is a sweet SJ song from EKK...however, the tune is not original...(lift from a Vedanayaka Shastri written church song, again based on some other carnatic original, that goes like `dEvanE nAn umadhaNdaiyil...')

Naaz
8th August 2005, 06:55 PM
Ramki -

Had completely forgotten this solo! Thanks for bringing it back as POTW. SJ had other such semi-classical moments with IRs compositions: Azhagu Malar Aada, Sangeethame En Jeevane, Isai Paadu Nee Ilanthendrale...and my cherished solo by her in this vein is En Raagangal Indru Ellaam Thaalangale, from Mudhal Iravu.

Some obscura: When I asked SPM why a completely out-of-place song like Aathora Kaaththaada was part of the film (gramaththu Liril?), his response was: "B & C centres-la ippadi oru paattu illainaa, distributor padaththai thoda maattaanga!" That should explain why Payum Puli followed EKK!

About the film: In your face misogyny. I won't say more! :roll:

Neel D -

That was a thoughtful bit of linguistic reasoning. I am richer for it!
When I get into transliteration around here, I always have a problem with the "dha" and "tha" bits. Is it Mundhaanai or Munthaanai? Podhu or Pothu? Or can they be used interchangeably?

sv
8th August 2005, 07:33 PM
I too agree with S.Balaji. Mere luck cannot hold a place for a person in any field. When we take Sivaji, MGR, Rajini, Kamal, each has his own talents.
Sivaji is a wonderful actor and he was also lucky to act in good films by Bhimsingh.
Kamal is a good actor who wants to explore new things - there are many films to his credit like mahanadhi, anbesivam. Sometimes he goes overboard and tries abstract theme which cannot be understood and appreciated by everyone - thats his limitation.
Rajini is definitely a good actor with appreciable style. When he involves in the making of the movie it comes nicely. When others tried to use his fame, it failed sometimes.
MGR is talented in making enjoyable movies, though his capacity as an actor is limited.
When an actor doesn't get involved in making of the movie then alone he can be called lucky - we can take mike mohan as an example. Before we could realize his acting talent (i realized that only in mouna ragam) , he gave many successful movies. He was lucky to get such projects and IRs good music.
Again all IMHO.

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 08:08 PM
SV,

I thought even Mike Mohan was tolerable as had done reasonably well in Mouna ragam and Idaya koil ... though IR played a larger part and Kovaithambi ...
Even his expressions to a song were somewhat realistic as he was trying his best.

Probably Ramarajan with his lipsticks and colourful dresses would have been the most appropriate person for the word LUCKY.

app_engine
8th August 2005, 08:14 PM
Being fortunate to be even considered to perform - all the `vArisu' actors / actresses belong to this category, IMO...

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 08:20 PM
Being fortunate to be even considered to perform - all the `vArisu' actors / actresses belong to this category, IMO...

App...

There are exceptions in my opinion..

1. Prabhu
2. Karthik
3. Vijay

These guys have been quite successful and had a lengthy career.
In my opinion,,, somebody who has the staying power .. cannot be lucky guy... unless he had some stuff....
Though VIjay initially needed SAC's support through his movies ... not he has established himself and has a huge fan following and is doing well.

sv
8th August 2005, 10:28 PM
Mike mohan, lipstick ramarajan nice names...

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 10:34 PM
Mike mohan, lipstick ramarajan nice names...

SV,

Actually in one programme ... I think it was for a new year or deepavali... ramarajan appeared as guest in the namadhu virundhinar in Sun tv.

He himself acknowledged that people call him with names like

Pasunesan.... ... lipstick rajan etc etc.

I appreciate him that he tolerates with a sense of tolerance even if somebody calls him by names.

app_engine
8th August 2005, 11:20 PM
You're right Balaji, it's difficult to stay without talents...

By using the term `fortunate', I meant only their `getting the initial break' without having to do much hard work :-)

That wasn't the case with others like MGR-Sivaji-Kamal-Rajini...

S.Balaji
8th August 2005, 11:31 PM
App,

MGR appeared in the movie ASHOK KUMAR.... as a kavalaalee ( soldier in front of a Rajaaa !!! I think that was his intial movie.

He was playing mediocre roles for some time before he established himself as THE SUPER STAR OF YESTER YEARS AND AFTER THAT HE NEVER LOOKED BACK.

All those were achieved purely out of hard work.. hard work ... hardwork... Gaining knowledge of the various finer aspects of the film industry... like ..... Fights / music / screen play / story / direction / editing / picturisation etc etc.

MGR and Shivaji were two great pillars of Tamil film industry.....

Ramki
9th August 2005, 05:53 AM
SBalaji
I apologise if my comment had hurt you. But please look again the seven points you have substantiated in support of MGR' s 'talents'. Well nothing speaks of his 'acting' talent. This was the only talent i was referring to in my post. A hardworking, one- film good director with good ear to music who can fight 100 people at a time will not make him a good actor.
You yourself had mentioned in your PM that the whole world know shis limitatios as an actor
i was only talking about that ..His acting capability. If he could work in more than 100 films with very limited acting capabilities, what do you call that?

If you want to discuss more please PM me. I do not want our discussions to hijack POW thread..thanks

Ramki
9th August 2005, 06:48 AM
Pick #149

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kotti_vk.rm

Song: kotti kidandhadhu
Film: vaazhndhu kaatugiren
Lyrics: kaNNadasan

Kannagi(sujatha)-kovalan(Muthuraman)-madhavis(padmapriya) saga was retold again in 'vaazhndhu kaatugiren' . The 70s kannagi does not burn madurai but transforms herself into another Madhavi to get back her kovalan. Height of absurdity. MSV songs alone keep such movies in our memories.
'kaaviri nagarin kadarkarai orathil'(PS/VJ) is the other beautiful song from VK.
Todays pick is a banned song in Vividhbharathi and i can see why.
I apologise for the so so quality of the song

madhu
9th August 2005, 06:55 AM
Hi Ramki!

mm... I think many good songs are available.. than this one.... though the voices of SPB and PS are always good... :cry: ( hayyo... indha paattu bore adikkudhu.. idhu en personal opinion.. sandaikku yarum varakoodadhu :evil: ).

RC
9th August 2005, 06:56 AM
indha paatOda mettu rendu moonu paatilarundhu edhuthaapla irukkeee.. (like adhula oru 1/4 kilo idhula oru 1/4 kilo) :roll:

Ramki
9th August 2005, 07:25 AM
Madhu:)

RC endha songs?

Neel D
9th August 2005, 10:15 AM
"kotti kidanthathu" for sure played a lot on Kovai Vaanoli. It is nice brisk composition by the master composer and I used to love the energy in it. The lyrics are sexy but I will take this any day over the graphic expression of sexual deprivation in today's lyrics. It is funny that Kannadasan added the line about "thaNikkai" in the end. Guess he himself knew that he was walking on a rope.
Thanks for the song Ramki.

S.Balaji
9th August 2005, 10:40 AM
SBalaji
I apologise if my comment had hurt you. But please look again the seven points you have substantiated in support of MGR' s 'talents'. Well nothing speaks of his 'acting' talent. This was the only talent i was referring to in my post. A hardworking, one- film good director with good ear to music who can fight 100 people at a time will not make him a good actor.
You yourself had mentioned in your PM that the whole world know shis limitatios as an actor
i was only talking about that ..His acting capability. If he could work in more than 100 films with very limited acting capabilities, what do you call that?

If you want to discuss more please PM me. I do not want our discussions to hijack POW thread..thanks

Yes Mr. Ramki.... You need not apologise for your comments... I had also mentioned about MGR's limitations as an actor but what I had pointed out of your posting was ... on the comment.... HE WAS LUCKY AND WAS A STUNTMAN...
IT WAS THE USAGE OF THE WORD....LUCKY which I felt sad......
MGR with all his limitations as an actor ... but became a super star of yesteryears by concentrating on other finer aspects of the cinema... All those points I had highlighted are to strengthen that ...

I wish to put an end to this unfortunate comment of yours ...

Lets move forward..

All the best.

yvsmani
9th August 2005, 01:43 PM
I have heard this song in radio a lot of times ( entha station endru thaan theriyavillai). intha pattil nallathanae irukku. Thanks for this song ramki, gyabaghapaduthiyatharkku

balaji
9th August 2005, 06:32 PM
Good song Ramki!

Favorite of Ilangai Vanoli

bala

RC
10th August 2005, 05:53 AM
Madhu:)

RC endha songs?
I cant remember the song but when SPB sings
valaigaL uNdu vizhundhu thavikkindra meengaL undu reminds me of another song and the lines following that is similar to another song!

Listen again and you may feel the same..

Ramki
10th August 2005, 06:23 AM
RC i thought the pallavi was close to 'ulagam pirandhadhu enakkaga'

Ramki
10th August 2005, 06:44 AM
Pick #150

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/azhaadhe_pmva.rm

Song: azhaadhe pappa azhaadhe
Film: petra maganai vitra annai
Singer: T.S.Bhagavathi
Lyrics: kaNNadasan ?
Music: Viswanathan Ramamurthy

Such a sad song sung marvelously by TSB. She adds just the right amount of pathos and leaves us teary eyed whenever we listen to this song. Its a pity such talents were discarded by our MDs. I read somewhere that she was the favorite singer of kavignar kaNNadasan.
'petra maganai vitra annai' also had the popular duet 'thendral urangiya podhum'(AMR/PS) . I think SSR,Vijayakumari, RSManohar are the prinicipal actors in PMVA. No clue on other songs or the storyline.

madhu
10th August 2005, 07:09 AM
Hi Ramki !

thanks for this song.. I hear it after a very loooooong time.

Nitya
11th August 2005, 12:11 AM
Neel D:
The lyrics are sexy but I will take this any day over the graphic expression of sexual deprivation in today's lyrics.

But it's a good thing we have gems such as these songs to remind us how to compose/write lyrics for songs. I haven't listened to this song yet.

Ramki
11th August 2005, 03:19 AM
Pick #151

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/saravanan_oo.rm

Song: saravanan sonnaan
Film: oruvanukku oruthi
Singers: TMS, KJYesudoss
Lyrics: Vaali ?
Music: VKumar

Two singing legends, one at the tailing end of his carrer and the other at its rising, came together for second time to sing this rare song. While KJY sings confidently one can clearly notice a slight edginess in TMS voice.
OO had Jaishankar and Lakshmi. I think todays pick is picturised on Jai and Master sridhar.
What are the other songs from OO?

Anniyan
11th August 2005, 11:03 AM
Ramki, I could remember one more song from Oruvanukku oruthi...Pachaikkili ingamma ichaikkili angamma kalangaadhu kanmani kaalam paarthu ...ennampoley....SPB/SJ.

Saravanan sonnan is by Kannadasan. But I could not see any strains in TMS voice. It had the necessary vigour and vitality for this song.

If this is the second song by KJY and TMS, the first song is only Raamu, I love you, imaivitta manivizhi irandukkum naduvinil...from Unakkaaga Naan, correct? No other song in this combo?

Fan
11th August 2005, 06:49 PM
hi! is that song available 4 downloading somewhere? pls lemme know

Naaz
11th August 2005, 07:22 PM
Ramki -

3 original voices in 2 days! Bravo! I loved the Bhagavati song! A true rarity!
Saravanan Sonnaan is yet another example of how KD recontextualised mythology in modern ways. The "contemporary" father/son divide is delineated with "classical" examples, and done with such quotidian grace!
"Ariyaa Pillai Sollvatharkillai, Athu Dhaan Enadhu Nilai"
Haven't we all heard this line (in one form or another) from our elders at some point in our lives? (and repeatedly? :) )
Thanks for these jewels.

Ramki
12th August 2005, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the details Anniyan.

Naaz , IMO the lyrics are just ok. 'ViLakkuku aedhu azhukku'?? Too cheesy :)

Ramki
12th August 2005, 05:48 AM
Pick #152

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/pooma_kt.rm

Song: poomalaigaL iru
Film: kallukuL therai
Singers: SJanaki, Jayachandran
Music: Shyam

A Vividh bharathi unknown but ilangai vanoli favorite this SJ and JC duet is as melodious as many other shyam's songs.
I have no other detail on this film. Anyone have more info?

SN23
12th August 2005, 11:01 AM
Ramki, Saravanan sonnan sankaran kEttaan satchikku swamimalai song, kEtkka thAn nalla irukku. One who does not know the cast, would easily imagine the cast as Sivaji and Any other son character. But could not even just think how Jaishankar would have acted here. KYJ could not stand in front of TMS in the "must" aakrosham IMHO :-)

Kallukkul therai had one more JC solo vA vA Adi vA. Must be nice? Shyam's music oru thani ragam with Kerala vAdai. JC's voice very much suited for this song.

thumburu
12th August 2005, 11:32 AM
Ramki, thanks a lot for this pick. This is one of the songs I keep humming very frequently. I especially like the way the charanam starts

Ramki
13th August 2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks SN23 and Thumburu.

Ramki
13th August 2005, 05:19 AM
Pick #153

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/paamalai_km.rm

Song: paamalai avar thodukka
Film: kaN Malar
Singers: SJanaki, BalamuraliKrishna

Paamalai following poomalai is such a cliche :) But believe me this was not planned.
SJanaki did not sing many songs for Sarojadevi. I know only two todays pick and 'jal jal enum' and both are excelent numbers.

'kaN malar' was one of those handkerchief compulsory movies that tested your nerves and senses. The story is about two poor friends saroja devi and sowkar janaki. SD gets engaged to the rich Gemini. But before the marriage, the train carrying SD and SJ will derail. SD will loose her sight and SJ her feet. GG will assume they are dead. Then after several scenes of crying and sorrow, SJ will meet another accident (yeah). She will die after donating her eyes to SD. SD and GG will live happily ever after.

Other songs from KM

'thodudhaya seviyan'(BMK, Soolamangalam R)
'adi aayeee aayee'(PS)

P.S: There will not be any updates next week. I will be back with more songs from Aug 21st.

madhu
13th August 2005, 07:05 AM
Hi Ramki!

another song by TMS - "Athankari OrathilE yarumillA nErathilE".. :P

kumudam review - "Gemini vazhakkam pOla iduppil kai vaithu koNdu pattu padi kadhalikkiRAR" :lol:

and another song by LRE and chorus for SJ and friends..
I forgot it.. may be "poovuNdu pinjuNdu kAyuNdu kaniyuNdu".. but I am not sure.

Neel D
14th August 2005, 09:51 AM
Ramki,

Thanks very much for the rare songs. T.S.Bagavathy's voice is absolutely sweet. Is there a picture of her anywhere? Would like to see the face behind the voice.

I have never heard the TMS-KJY duet "saravanan sonnaan" before. TMS sounds edgy because the character is edgy in that situation. That is what I think based on the lyrics. As TMS himself proudly says, "vArththaikaLukku uyir kodukkiRavanyA TMSsu". The song, especially in the end, is very dramatic, more like a 50s/60s song. V.Kumar composed a similar dramatic song "Kathirvel Nayagane" in the film Nangooram sung by VJ.

Paamaalai is a song I haven't heard in many many years. SJ sounded so innocent in her pre-IR days. I was kind of suprised to learn that Sowcar Janaki's character dies in the end, instead of joining the Red Cross and going to Geneva.

Do you by any chance have "thAyAkki vachcha en thanggamE" or "vAnaththil paduththu chirikkum veLLi nilA", both by VJ?

madhu
14th August 2005, 01:45 PM
Hi Neel !

thanks for reminding these lovely songs..

BTW "thayakki vacha en thangame
nee pogum idam selvam pongume" is from Rowdi rakkamma

but what is the film of "vaanathil paduthu sirikkum velli nila.. aanandha iRakkai virikkum piLLaigaLaa" ?

Anniyan
18th August 2005, 10:31 AM
Ramki, both Paamaalai and Odhuvar un peyar odhuvaar (BMK for Nagaiah) lyrics by Vaalee.

In Saravanan sonnaan, the enjoyable pharases ...
KJY: Thayir sirandhoru kovilum illai, adhudhan pazhamozhi
TMS: Thandhai solmikka mandhiram illai, adhuvum pazhamozhi

That the song is based on raga Kalyani is another feather in the cap of V Kumar whose another Kalyani number from Naadagamey ulagam Sapthaswaram Punnagaiyil kandein still lingers in our memory.

Madhu , beautiful VJ nos. Thaayakki vacha ... is another KSG-VJ-SG combo. Vaanathil paduththu sirikkum is which film? Must be MSV.

thumburu
18th August 2005, 11:24 AM
yes Anniyan, "Vaanathil paduththu sirikkum veLLinila" is indeed by MSV and I think the film is "muthaana muthallavo"

yvsmani
19th August 2005, 03:25 PM
ramki:
thanks for the song 'pomalaigal oru thol serumae'. ippadi eththanai PJ paadalagal maranthu irukkeno, ena kashtamagha irukku. ceylonil adikadi intha pattu kettathu ippo gyabagam varuthu. idhu pol innum pala PJ paadalgal POWil varum ena nambugiren. SJ voice is quite awesome. (ithai sollamal irunthu irunthaal I would have done injustice for her)

Neel D
20th August 2005, 09:10 AM
Hi madhu,

Yes, they are lovely songs and hidden treasures like many other songs from that period. Wish someone will find them. I don't know what film "vAnaththil paduththu" is from. I will go with thumburu on it.

Neel D
21st August 2005, 09:58 PM
madhu,
It was pointed out to me that "vAnaththil paduththu chirikkum" is from the film Veedu Varai Uravu (1976). Music by MSV. It had been covered in VJ songs chronology by Saravanan.

Ramki
22nd August 2005, 04:46 AM
Pick #154

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/maragadha_mtu.rm

Song: maragadha megam
Film: megathirkkum dhaagam undu
Lyrics: Kannadasan

I'm back from my vacation and its nice to see all the discussion in my absence. Thank you all.

'Megatirkkum dhaaagm undu' , based on a true incident is an absurd obscure film with Sarath babu and Rajini sharma in the lead.
MSV, who was slowly fading from music scene came up with 2 good songs. Todays pick and 'yaaradhu...manmadhan'(SPB,VJ).
Rajini sharma made her debut in the beautiful cute unforgettable hindi film 'balika badu'. She later migrated to tamilcinema and did couple of movies like 'kashmir kadhali' and MDU. In MDU she played the role of a suffering wife who loses her husband to sainthood.(A Sage rescues sarathbabu from an accident and will demand him to join his monastery as a fee to his rescue mission:)).

'maragatha megam' as like the song title is an absolute gem. PS and SPB at their best. The song was often heard during the films release but later faded into oblivion.

madhu
22nd August 2005, 06:30 AM
welcome back Ramki !

Anniyan
22nd August 2005, 10:45 AM
Thanx for bringing this wonderful song Ramki! This song reminds me another beautiful song of MSV from Avan AvaL Adhu...Illam sangeetham...adhil ragam samsaram.. both the songs incidentally based on the same raga ...a hindustani raga by name Bhairagi bhairav which corresponds to Carnatic Revathy. Particulary the humming portions ending the charanam are excellent.

SN23
22nd August 2005, 02:26 PM
Welcome back Ramki AvargaLE :-)

Really classic pick after your return. It is a trademark MSV song empowered by Suseela, in my opinion. SPBala did a good job, but he did not show a great enthu in the song, esp the humming after his charaNam.

Both MSV and PS were on the slide-down, but I would wonder still how PS was giving hits even in that period of early 80's (MDU released in 81?). A few sample from my childhood memory....

NEramidhu with TMS (Rishimoolam)
Bulk of hits (Anbukku Naan Adimai)
Muthu tharagai vaana vedhi with SPBala (Oru Kai Osai)
Naan oru ponnoviyam kanden with SPBala & SJ (KaNNil theriyum kadhaigaL)
Karumbinum iniyadhu iniyadhu - lovely solo Listen to "kannam thamaraiyaa with a chinna sirippu" (Kaadhal KiLigaL)
Azhagazhaga poothitukku - energetic solo (Kaali)
Forgotten good duet (??) with SPBala (Kuruvi Koodu)
Ponnanganni with SPBala (Nakshathram)
Engeyo edho paattondru kEttEn (aha aha) with SPBala (Nadhiyai Thedi Vandha Kadal)
Varadha kaalangal with SPSailaja (Nadhiyai Thedi Vandha Kadal)
aee thendrale - solo (Nenjathai Killadhe)
Chinna kanne chithira kanne - solo (Polladhavan)
Bulk of hits, kurippaga KangaLal nAn varindhEn with KJY (Mangala Naayaki)
Manmatha Radhangal, a beautiful but unheard-often duet with SPBala (Manmatha Rathangal)
Suttum vizhi chudarthaan - solo (Malargale Malarungal)
mAlai muthu mAlai - solo sung with ease (Maadhavi VandhaL)
En uLLam engindra vAnathile with TMS (Ratha Paasam)
Sandhanamittu sadhirAdum mottu - solo (Rusi Kanda Poonai)
Gangai pongudhu kaNgaLoram - solo (Vasantha AzhaippugaL)
Ranga Rangaiah - solo (Varumaiyin Niram Sivappu)

Thanks Ramki :-)

Naaz
22nd August 2005, 07:53 PM
Ramki -

Superb! A thoroughly enchanting composition by MSV, and rendered with panache by PS - SPB.

Ramki
23rd August 2005, 03:00 AM
Thanks Madhu, anniyan, SN23 and Naaz.

Its hard to believe 'maragatha' and 'illam sangeetham' are based on same raaga. They sound so different. Thanks anniyan for the details

SN23 'maalai muthu maalai' is the song i have been looking for long..no luck :((

Ramki
23rd August 2005, 03:22 AM
Pick #155

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/udhayam_eani.rm

Song: udhayam neeye
Film: en arugil nee irundhaal
Singer: Sjanaki
Lyrics: Vaali

Another great song by IR from another flop film. Inspite of the film being a dud , two songs
'oh unnale naan'(UR, Mano) and
'indhiran sundhariye'(SJ, IR)
were hits.

Relatively, todays song was less heard in radios and tvs. IMO this is one of SJs best solos in 90s. Her voice sounds the same as it did in 'sendhoora poove' or 'kanden engum'. Unfortunately this song did not catch the attention of listeners. Probably the film was so boring no one would have noticed this song or would have left the cinema halls before the song was shown :)

I think the film had all new comers. I remember watching one song in oLiyum oliyum(cant remember which one) .

balaji
23rd August 2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks Ramki, this is the first time I hear this song.

What a big difference in SJ's voice between this song and that of her voice in Uyire...

I liked this song instantly.

Thanks once again
Bala

Ramki
24th August 2005, 03:00 AM
I'm glad you liked the song Balaji. IMO her voice in uyire song was much better compared to her other songs from that period('iruvadhu vayadhu mudhal' and more song in kannan varuvaan(sirpy music))

Ramki
24th August 2005, 03:14 AM
Pick #156

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/poong_sk.rm

Song: poonguruvi paadadi
Film: sundhara kaandam
Singer: Mano
Music: Deepak

Bakyaraj's streak of flops continued with sundara kaandam. Did it start it with rathathin rathathame or raasu kutti or pavunupavunuthaan? Not sure.
Im not a KB fan but i did watch sundara kaandam and was bored to death. It was a routine KB story were the ladies fall head over heels for him. In SK , he played a teacher(again) and his student sindhu falls in love with him(ofcourse). He marries Banupriya(totally underutilised) but sindhu continues to taunt him. Then she gets ..cancer(gasp) and like all tamilfilm second heroines dies in the end.
The film had a new MD Deepak. But i suspect it is KB who did the music with a pseudonym. The POW had 2 versions, the other by SJ.

balaji
24th August 2005, 03:42 AM
Ramki

I think Sundara Kandam was a moderate hit, surely not a flop.(Was a big hit in Hindi with Anil/Sri and Karishma - forgot the name).

Isn't Deepak who scored previous Bhagyraj films while the titled had KB's name (Idhu nama aalu and others). This film had the real MD's name. Experts advise

All songs were good. Sindhuja acting was really good. Yes not a great movie but ahd its moments. overacting by Bhanu but she looked great!

Bala

baroque
24th August 2005, 07:22 AM
[tscii:b5254ee92b]What an evocative humming!!!! Janaki maadhiry varaadhu!! Namba Raaja is plentiful in his hypnotic flute interludes in this song!! Enjoyed the rare Ilayaraaja’s less known 90s song!! Thanks! Vinatha. [/tscii:b5254ee92b]

crvenky
24th August 2005, 02:00 PM
I think Maestro has used the tune of Kamakshi Karuna Vilasini (from his devotional album Geethanjali) for this Udhayam Neeye song and also the Aathma film song Varayo unakke saran nangale.

From Mars
24th August 2005, 07:09 PM
Ramki, SK crossed 100 days. The movie was made in a very short period of time [I think about 3 months].

I heard that KB scored music with pseudonym deepak :) I don't think he has music sense :))

Ramki
25th August 2005, 03:32 AM
Balaji/FM

I happened to watch SK on the first week of its release. It was a saturday night and the theatre in Udhayam complex was only half filled. In fact SK was our second choice- we went to another film couldnt get the tickets so chose SK instead.
It might have 'made to run' for 100 days. IMO its a rehash of several KB films.

Btw does the story has any relevance to the title?

Ramki
25th August 2005, 03:45 AM
Pick #157

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ellaam_dd.rm

Song: ellaam maayathaana
Film: devadoss
Singer: Rani
Music: CRSubbaraman

How many film versions of devdoss were made? I can easily count 7(and i recently read pakistan is making its own version). Among the ones i have seen, the tamil\telugu version is the best. It had the best cast,best music. Nothing was overdone and nothing looked out of place or character. Nageswara rao was born to do such roles and superstar (doesn't she deserve this title?) savithri gave an amazing performance. Lalitha in the role of chandramukhi was equally good.

Lots have been written about the songs. Ghantasala, jikki, Rani etc filled our ears with their beautiful(and accented) voices.
Why singers like Rani were not used often will always remain a mystery.
I know only a handful of songs by her and all are good songs.

From Mars
25th August 2005, 07:49 PM
Ramki, I think so. SK is an interesting part in Kambaraamayanam, so pick that as the title. Tamil cinema shows it crossed 150 days :) I don't think KB made any good film after Ithu namma aaLu. I liked the comedy in that movie, not the story itself :)

RC
26th August 2005, 03:28 AM
If I remember right, SK wasnt a flop movie. KB certainly was a great screenplay writer. The way he blended the partially filmed MGR's movie into his Avasara Police 100 proved his talenets (I personally liked AP100, then, for its funny moments). Oru oorula oru raajakumari was a clean movie which I liked a lot but did not run. Vettiya madichu kattu was unbaearable. Hopey he gets a successful second innings with Paarijadham & Asokamithran!

rajraj
26th August 2005, 04:18 AM
Ramki: Music for Devadas(1953) was by C.R.Subbaraman and lyrics by K.D.Santhanam and Udumalai Narayana Kavi. I don't know who wrote this one, probably UNK. Good choice! :)

I have posted the lyrics in the 'Lyrics compilation of old songs' thread.

Ramki
26th August 2005, 06:13 AM
RC how about 'amma varuvaa' and 'gnana pazham'?

Raj thanks for the corrections

RC
26th August 2005, 06:15 AM
Ramki: I did not watch Amma Vandhaachu(?) and Gnanapazham. I think AV was directed by P.Vasu who directed 2-3 movies with baby sridevi (Vijayakumar-Manjula's daughter). Was Gnanapazham directed by R P Viswam?

From Mars
26th August 2005, 09:04 AM
Ramki, Amma vandhaachu, and Gnapazham both were utter flop. Gnapazham sagikka mudiyaathu :) Amma vandhaachu So so

balaji
26th August 2005, 05:38 PM
Ramki, however Veetile Visheshanga did have a moderate run. When it runs for 30-35 days in Pondy/Kadalore then I think it is a moderate hit. VV had good songs, particularly 'PTC bus than' was superb in the range of 'Chitterumbu song'..

Bala

Ramki
29th August 2005, 04:37 AM
Pick #158

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/polla_kkv.rm

Song: polladha aasai vandhu
Film: kuva kuva vaathukaL
Singers: SPB, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: Gangai amaran?

Thanks to Naaz for the song. He writes:

Well, it definitely wasn't funny.
Amusing? Not.
What it was, was plain go-ahead-burst-a-blood-cell
annoying, angry making, arrested development stuff.
The technique, I mean.
The one where big-head Manjulas chased slim-waisted
Sivajis, while cross-eyed Manoramas and greasy-meesai
Nambiars bawled, bounced and boo-hooed all over the
screen. Veettukku Veedu to Vaalibame, Va! Va!

Surungiya Udambu. Periya Mandai. Kaiyila Karandi,
Kaasi Maalai,Korada, KrishTV
Antenna...Kandadhu.
Remember? It was title-card staple that would embarass
a kindergarten doodler. Plot synopsis ha-ha-kiri.

The upside was you could walk out of the auditorium
right after the first three minutes fully certain of
what you wouldn't miss, or you could sit through the
following hours hours and still be clueless.
The directors hoped and prayed that you were dumb and
- stayed.

Now,imagine those three minutes actually stretching
for three full hours, and every frame filled with
Sivakumar (Kuva), Sulakshana (Kuva), Paandian (Kuva),
Ilavarasi (Kuva)...Vaaththukal? Us!
That's all the synopsis of the film you need - and are
going to
get!

The head-warden of this asylum was Manivannan.

Ilayaraja wrote the compositions, recorded the songs,
transferred them onto a tape -and threw it in from
this side of sanity.

VJ-SPB grab the looney-tunes mood of the
exercise with (retard) relish, and IR lets it rip
around
2:35 on your player.

Nitya
30th August 2005, 12:22 AM
Good choice, Ramki. I think "Pollaatha Aasai Vandhu" is a different Ilayaraja number, and I mean that in a good way. I don't know what specifically to say about it.

Ramki
30th August 2005, 04:35 AM
I think "Pollaatha Aasai Vandhu" is a different Ilayaraja number, and I mean that in a good way. I don't know what specifically to say about it.

huh!! Me too????

Ramki
30th August 2005, 04:40 AM
Pick #159

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/pachai_eok.rm

Song: pachai vayal pakkathile
Film: enga oor kannagi
Singer: Sjanaki

Thanks to NeelD for the song: He writes:

Enga Oor Kannagi was directed by K.Balachander and was released
sometime around 1980. The film starred Seema, Sarita and Madhavi.
Sarathbabu may have been there too, not quite sure. The three women
live in village and Sarita is blind. This song is for Seema. As she
rides a bullock cart through the dirt-roads of the village and the
fields, she sings this song to the blind Sarita describing the beauty
as well as ugliness of the world that Sarita cannot see.

This film has the rare honor of being one of those few films to which
all four songbirds PS,LRE,SJ&VJ lent their voices.
PS & SPB - a nice duet "ithaththaan romba rasichchen"
VJ & LRE - a folksy female duet "adi aaththi adi kaNNu sokki"
SJ - today's presentation

Kanndasan beautifully writes this long song to expose the irony in the
world and the unfairness in God's creation. If he was trying to
convince a blind person that there is not much being missed by not
being able to see this world, he has done a good job. And that is what
friends do, be supportive and provide encouragement. Seema does that
for Sarita through Kannadasan's lines.

The audio quality is a little poor at the beginning and at the end of
the song, especially where vaNdi chattham is mixed with the song. But
most of song is clear. SJ's modulations at "rengammaa" are so beautiful
and she breezes through the song just like the cart through the roads.

I don't remember the other songs from this film but all three mentioned
here are nice songs. However, in this film that went unnoticed by many,
the clear winner was the exotic sounding PS-SPB duet "ithaththaam romba
rasichchEn". MSV, as always, has given songs that are nothing but
pleasure to listen to.

yvsmani
30th August 2005, 04:37 PM
Naaz, Neel , Ramki :
VJ * SJ pattu irandumae first time ketkiren. On hearing for the first time both of them did make any impact. After more listening, started liking the song. Neel - song quality pramathamagha thaanae irukku.

yvsmani
30th August 2005, 05:28 PM
ramki :
thanks for maragatha megam song. decades achchu antha pattai kettu.
I am listening to udhayam neeyae song for the first time. i feel intha song either early morning or late night kettaal nandragha irukkum ena ninaikiren. I attended SJ's muscial programme held in Delhi last Friday. I could n't find any difference in her voice. She sang a lot of solos like oho megam vanthatho, katrae enthan geetham, machchanai paarththeengala, chinna chinna vanna kuyil, nenjinilae, naatham en jeevanae, pon meni uruguthae(with those mukkal monagal) and duets like kodiyilae, ninaivo oru paravai, poonkaatru thirumbumaa etc.

yvsmani
30th August 2005, 05:40 PM
ramki :
thanks for maragatha megam song. decades achchu antha pattai kettu.
I am listening to udhayam neeyae song for the first time. i feel intha song either early morning or late night kettaal nandragha irukkum ena ninaikiren. I attended SJ's muscial programme held in Delhi last Friday. I could n't find any difference in her voice. She sang a lot of solos like oho megam vanthatho, katrae enthan geetham, machchanai paarththeengala, chinna chinna vanna kuyil, nenjinilae, naatham en jeevanae, pon meni uruguthae(with those mukkal monagal) and duets like kodiyilae, ninaivo oru paravai, poonkaatru thirumbumaa etc.

Ramki
31st August 2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks yvsm. she was amazing even in raagamalika program last year. Her voice is shaky in bottom range but at high pitch she is good as always

Ramki
31st August 2005, 05:13 AM
Pick #159

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/neemegam_tp.rm

Song: nee megam aanal
Film: thaiyilla kuzhandhai
Singers: TMSoundararajan, PSuseela
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan?
Music: shankar Ganesh

Inspired?Copied? not sure and do not care but this song will always remain my favorite. I often keep humming the lines and often sing this song in pattukku pattu etc. Lyrics is the highlight of the song. A bit algorothomic but very poetic. Interludes are RDB style. PSuseela singing is just excellent. TMS tries to sound young and succeeds to an extent. The only part i dislike is the humming after the pallavi.
I think thaiyilla piLLai had Jaichitra and vijayakumar in the leader. Not very sure though.

yvsmani
31st August 2005, 12:00 PM
A nice pick up ramki, one of my favourties by the duo. Nice song by SG.(ippo thaan theriyum SG endru) Recently, I was humming the tune quite often and was thinking to request you for this song. thanks once again.

thumburu
31st August 2005, 03:58 PM
"pollaadha aasai vandhu" - hearing it after probably 2 decades!!! How whacky can IR get with mridhangam and guitar punches!!! I terribly miss this IR :(

Ramki
2nd September 2005, 06:06 AM
Pick #160

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vidukathai_voto.rm

Song: vidukathai ondru
Film: oru vidukathai oru thodarkathai
Singers: Sjanaki, SPB, Ashok
Music: GA

sigh..i had typed almost half a page worth of details and lost everything in an accidental refresh. So heres the gist(too lazy:)

In the recent Raj tv sponsored Vaali felicitation function GA mentioned 'ovot' is his first film as a MD. Rama Narayan was the director.

RC
2nd September 2005, 06:31 AM
Ramki: paata kaaNOmee..

RC
2nd September 2005, 06:32 AM
http://raretfm.com/songs/vidukadhai_voto.rm -> ovot-ku bathilaa voto-nu pOttuteengaLO?

Ramki
2nd September 2005, 06:37 AM
RC corrected :)

rajeshkrv
2nd September 2005, 07:58 PM
are you sure the lyric was KD
because Oru vidukathai oru thodarkathai had lyrics by Vaali and GA

vaali (nayagan oru puram avan vizhiyil manaivi)

Naaz
3rd September 2005, 06:23 AM
Ramki -

A thodarkathai of a song for sure! Can't stop humming it once you're in the loop (and I get into those quite a bit!) There is a veneer of the wispy ghazal in there, no doubt a reflection of the popularity of the genre around that time.
What was not very successful was the song's presentation on film. For starters, it was all broken up and used as a transitional bridge when Rama Narayanan didn't know how to work his way out of the riddle. Kondaa Paattu.happened a lot and bits bitsa.
And then there was Vijayan.
To make bad worse, he did the whole "madras girl" routine, which more or less (and soon) nailed his as a one note career (uthiri pookkal excluded as that was all mahendran.)
Hunched, meesakaara middle-aged man, speaking talayalam, pining or dumped, who occasionally meandered (should that be shed?) as Man Cobra and A Loser Widower, but always found his way back to the good old pine. It's all about the comfort of depression.
See why I don't like to see a song most times when I listen to it?
:D

PS: Wouldn't it be nice if some tamizh cinema paithyam Vallal (hope you're reading this!) wrote a cheque to restore/remaster these classics from the 70s/80s? All the available recordings are the drop-out stepchildren of Abysmal.

Thiru
3rd September 2005, 06:45 AM
nice song Ramki... really a rare gem...

SN23
5th September 2005, 02:06 PM
Ramki: Good choices last week.

Enga Voor Kannagi was a great movie in terms of action. All 3 heroines with big vatta vadiva KangaL. Saritha topped the list. Idathathaan romba rasichEn was for Saritha. NaduvilE oru mridangam pola sound makes the song different. PS excelled in the folkish duet. SOTD (SJ's) was really mavellous. It was a total suit for Seema. Worth watching movie.

Devar film's name is Thayillaa Kuzhandhai (not Pillai). There was an good-old movie with Thayilla Pillai. Four songs. All duets. Only TMS+PS for Vijayakumar + Jayachithra. She performed in 2 different roles. That saadhu amma role was excellent. VK got the media title Jallikattu Kumar from this movie, as he wins that Jallikattu & RekLa Race in the movie. He preferred to drive that RekLa by himself, not by a dupe :-) PEsum Padam used to list the best artists awards those days. PS got award for this song, though it was a duet. Simply excellent. Very difficult charanams sung with fullest dedication.

Somehow I get tired of listening to the song vidukathai ondru, though the lyrics are meaningful. Lengthy and slow :-(

Ramki
6th September 2005, 02:37 AM
Naaz-
vidukathai- why the movie was made
thodarkathai- audience pain

SN23 thanks ..corrected

Thanks T

Ramki
6th September 2005, 03:01 AM
Pick #161

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kai_anan.rm

Song: kai veesamma
Film: ammavum neeye appavum neeye
Singer: KJYesudoss, ?

SPM rewrote his 'engaiyo ketta kural' story but again couldnt find the courage to make it a bold one Like the heroine in EKK, ANAN's heroine(saritha) leaves her poor husband(Rajesh) and their daughter, and takes Raveendar as her second husband. Like many indian movies, Rajesh becomes rich in a couple of scenes and Saritha starts working as his secretary. After long scenes of morality preaching and duaghter longing episodes, Rajesh will die. Saritha will don the costume of a widow( white saree etc) and start living with her daughter again.
As always Saritha and Rajesh were good. Raveendar too(with help of delhi ganesh voice) gave a good performance.
Todays pick is picturised on Raveendar. The only other song i remember is a VJ solo picturised on Saritha.

baroque
6th September 2005, 03:54 AM
[tscii:7337c60112]Beautiful song Ramki! Youthful tune & music, sweet early KJJ’s voice, nice! Thanks!
VJ solo adhu yenna pattu? Please mention it. [/tscii:7337c60112]

Ramki
7th September 2005, 05:04 AM
Thank you Baroque. Reg VJ solo I'm not sure on the exact lines but it goes something like 'mangaiyar ulagam'(kindof feminist song)

Ramki
7th September 2005, 05:16 AM
Pick #162

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/dhinam_iei.rm

Song: dhinam dhinam oru naadagam
Film: idhu eppadi irukku
Singer: PSuseela
Lyrics: Panju Arunachalam

'engum niraindha iyarkkaiyil' will be in top 50 in most of our IR's favorite list. It is the only aspect worth remembering from this another disastrously adapted film of sujathas writing(was it 'geetha oru shenbagapoo')?
Todays solo may not be outstanding as engum niraindha but its still worth listening for IR's eerie interludes and PS gambeera kural.
Sounds like a song picturised for a 'Pei' situation.
I know Jaishankar and Sridevi acted in this film....was the song picturised on sridevi?

rajeshkrv
7th September 2005, 10:21 PM
a nice song

thanks ramki

thumburu
8th September 2005, 10:14 AM
Ramki, "Idhu eppidi irukku" was adapted from Sujatha's "Anitha ILam manaivi" . I vaguely remember Y.Vijaya singing this song in the film, but I'm not sure

SN23
8th September 2005, 11:23 AM
Yes Ramki. I saw the film sometime back. Mudugu vali thaan vandhadu :-) It was a film focused on Y.Vijaya character. Immediately after her entry to TF, she started doing this kind of seductive characters. She looked very sexy in this film. As a young second wife of Sridevi's father, she plans many tricks alongwith Sivachandran to swindle the wealth of her husband. She uses this song recorded in a casette as if some strange character is singing. Finally Jaishankar thuppu thulakkify. The song comes in bits and pieces many times. Somehow I felt that PS was very high-pitched in this song. May be, Engum Niraindha is also too high. IR wanted that way ?? YamariyOm parabaramE :-)

rajeshkrv
8th September 2005, 09:12 PM
It was Saratbabu and not sivachandran

alias
9th September 2005, 01:26 AM
Admin, just wondering why there is no ARR songs for couple of months now? I see lot of IR,MSV and other people like Shyam, Deepak etc but no songs of ARR has been picked. Is Admin a pro IR and anti ARR?

Ramki
9th September 2005, 05:16 AM
alias,
The aim of this thread is to highlight rare, 'not easy to' find songs.
(I will recommend you to read page 1 of the thread).

Since most ARR songs are recent, popular and widely available, this thread has seen less of his works. However if you feel that a particular ARR song is rare, hard to find on the net please do send it to me at pow_request@yahoo.com. I will be glad to upload the song.

Ramki
9th September 2005, 05:18 AM
Rajeshkrv, SN23 and thumburu thankyou for the details

Ramki
9th September 2005, 05:33 AM
Pick #163

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/devi_nir.rm

Song: devi neeyindri
Film: niraparadhi
Singers: SPB, Vani Jairam
Lyrics: Pulamaipithan
Music: Shankar-Ganesh

Middle to late 80s, remake king Balaji was producing one dud after other. Many of them had Madhavi in the lead. I think niraparadhi is the first film in their combination. 'niraparadhi' is remake of 'insaaf ka tharasu'. The original had zeenat, padini kholapure and rajbabbar. The film had lots of skin show backed by a good script. I think the tamil remake had more of the first. (I read the screenplay was totally screwedup).
I'm not sure if todays song is an inspired one . But its a nice hummable tune by SG and was pretty popular during its release.
I think the song was picturised on Madhavi and Mohan.

Neel D
9th September 2005, 07:20 AM
Ramki,

Thanks very much for featuring Pachchai Vayal Pakkaththile. I still have to catch up with many of your presentations.

Devi Neeyindri is a lovely song composed by Shankar-Ganesh. The movie had some really raunchy songs sung energetically by VJ. Ammadiyo Ammadiyo (for Silk Smita), Pollachi Machchane (for Anuradha), Maangani Semmangani (for Madhavi). The film was more like Karnan's film. "Ammadiyo Ammadiyo", in spite of all its raunchiness, or because of it, is in my opinion the best performed song. However, Devi Neeyindri takes the cake musically.

SN23
9th September 2005, 11:20 AM
Madhavi with Mohan... huh.... jeeraNikka mudiyavillai :-)

Ramki, There is one more film in which Madhavi gets in the hand of NizhlgaL Ravi and later she takes revenge of many men. Finally after killing Ravi, she jumps to death from terrace of the house. Is that film and Nirabaradhi are same?

RR
9th September 2005, 12:21 PM
Ramki,
'Insaaf ka tharasu' remake is Neethi Devan Mayakkam, I think.

thumburu
9th September 2005, 05:49 PM
"Deva" is a cool, hummable song. But Iam yet to get over the heady mix of IR and PS super combination in "Dhinam dhinam"
We friends had to watch this gory, seedy movie "Nirabaraadhi" as we could not get tickets for "AnbuLLa Rajinikanth". I must admit that we felt scared to travel by ThiruvaLLuvar bus from our home town Neyveli to our colleges at Coimbatore after this movie

alias
9th September 2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the clarification Ramki. So this thread is for songs which cannot be found easily. So should it be called "TFMPage Rare Song of the week" instead of TFM Pick of the week? The title is misleading.

But your collection is super. I really enjoy the songs which u list.

vijayr
9th September 2005, 11:41 PM
Lipstick-->Insaaf ka Taraazu-->Needhi dhevan mayakkam is the order of original and remakes. Original is of course a Hollywood film. Not sure what Nirabaradhi was a remake of.

From Mars
9th September 2005, 11:42 PM
mmmm, Ramki you have forgotten the KJY song :)

peNNukku deivam endru pEru vacha paavi :)

Yes this song picturized on Madhavi and Mohan.

Is SG the favourite MD for Balaji?

thumburu
10th September 2005, 01:12 PM
No way. Balaji is well known for his inconsistency in MDs. Firsty it was MSV, then he switched over to GA for few films and then SG, but never IR

thumburu
10th September 2005, 01:13 PM
mmmm, Ramki you have forgotten the KJY song :)

Is SG the favourite MD for Balaji?

No way. Balaji is well known for his inconsistency in MDs. First it was MSV, then he switched over to GA for few films and then SG, but never IR

Ramki
10th September 2005, 10:20 PM
RR it could be 'needhi devan mayakkam'(Which sounds like a karnan film:))

Thumburu, IR was the MD for 'thyagam'

Ramki
12th September 2005, 06:11 AM
Pick #164

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/omkari_an.rm

Song: omkaari
Film: asokan
Singer : SPB
Lyrics: vairamuthu
Music: ARRahman

Thanks Thiru for sending this song. This is a very different ARR song. SPB freaks out , esp towards the end. 'Asokan' is the first(and only?) Malayalam film by ARR and it had Mohanlan and Madhubala. Heres the plot summary from IMDB
'
A young Tibetan lama, Rinpoche is pursued into hiding in Nepal by an evil cult leader (Puneet Issar). Meanwhile, Ashokan (Mohanlal) and Appukuttan (Jagathi) are cousins in a constant game of one-upmanship in their village. An astrologer's advice results in the two landing up in Nepal to seek their fortunes, while vying for the hand of anthropologist/photographer Aswathi (Madhoo). Rinpoche ends up in Ashokan's care, who with Aswathi must protect him from the cult.

'

RR
12th September 2005, 04:24 PM
For some reason, this song reminds me of 'raakkamma kayya thattu' and 'muthai tharu pathi thirunagai'.. :P I vaguely remember the situation as some thiruvizha and Mohanlal sings & dances.

The second half of the movie is like Indian-ized version of Daredevil.

rajdes
12th September 2005, 04:52 PM
alias, if you are so keen on correct usage of words, "pick of the week" is hardly misleading. It is RR/Ramki/RC's pick for the week and it need not necessarily mean that they are picking the all time best songs in TFM one by one every week.So,ARR is absent here doesnt mean that he isnt a good MD so rest easy :-)

From Mars
12th September 2005, 07:26 PM
This is one of the few ARR album that I have missed :)

RC
12th September 2005, 08:36 PM
alias, if you are so keen on correct usage of words, "pick of the week" is hardly misleading. It is RR/Ramki/RC's pick for the week

idhu enna vambaa pOchu...
rajdes: Rather than complaining.. why dont you send/suggest a song to Ramki and wait for some time to see if he responds or not. FYI, there are so many songs that I have sent/suggested to Ramki which hasnt been on POTW yet...

Ramki
13th September 2005, 06:01 AM
FYI all..Not only RC, many others including Naaz, Mano, JN, Thiru, NeelD have sent me songs. I have hosted most of them in POW.. SInce i do not post them immediately doesnt mean they will never be hosted

Ramki
13th September 2005, 06:14 AM
Pick #165

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/kanni_rs.rm

Song: kaNNi thendral veesum
Film: Raman Sriraman
Singers : PSuseela, SPB
Lyrics: vairamuthu
Music: Sivaji Raja

Sivaji Raja made a good debut in 'kaatrukenne veli'. 'Rekha rekha', 'chinna chinna megam' are some of the best melodies from mid-80s. Unfortunately he(or they?) did not work in many films.
'Raman sriraman','chithirame chithirame' are the others with him as the MD.
RS had vijayakanth(dual role) and Jyothi. I did watch this film long long ago on DD and remember it was an above average film. Todays pick is the only song i remember. IT was a popular one during the films release. There was one more heroine in RS and i remember it as vanitha. I could be wrong though.

RC
13th September 2005, 08:32 AM
Ramki: I think, it is Vanitha. VK in a dual role (brothers(?) one of them good and the other bad). The good one gets blamed for the wrong the bad one did and gets sorted out in the end.

rajdes
13th September 2005, 10:45 AM
ramki, RC:
idhu enna vambaa pOchu - I was merely saying the same thing to alias.
Basically, there is no need to change the title of this thread to "Rare song of the week",as alias was suggesting. This was my take.
Hope you understand - I said "..pick of the week is HARDLY misleading"

From Mars
13th September 2005, 09:28 PM
Ramki,

There was one movie [dubbing] came in early 90's. It's vaa vaa vaanampaadi... by KJY, ??.

Ramki
14th September 2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks RC

rajdes thank you

FM is 'vaa vaa vaanambadi' the movie title or the song title?

Ramki
14th September 2005, 06:16 AM
Pick #166

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/vellai_evp.rm

Song: veLLai nirathoru pachai
Film: ennai vittu pogaadhe
Singer : Sjanaki
Lyrics:Gangai Amaran?
Music: iLaiyaRaja

Ramarajan was at his peak in mid to late 80s and so was iLaiyaraja. Their combination has given us some unbelievable songs. 'Ennai vittu pogaadhe' is a flop movie with RR and sabita anand, but the songs were hit.
The mano-chitra duet 'vaalattum oorkuruvi' and IR solo 'unna pole aatha' were chartbusters.
Unlike its peers, todays pick did not find any airtime. Its a soulful solo by SJ with mesmerising interludes. The short gap after the charanam followed by sounds of goats is always a nice surprise to me. When you keep thinking there is only one saranam IRcontinues the song after a short gap. The following flute interlude is also my favorite.

thumburu
14th September 2005, 04:10 PM
No doubt "veLLai nirathoru" has a beautiful tune set to MishraShivaRanjini scale. But the same rythm pattern makes it boring.
"Omkari" song from Ashokan could not sustain my interest for more than 2 paragraphs despite the interesting rythms[ pancha vaadhyangal is being used here], SPB's awesome singing. Rehman has not bothered about the tune. The tune in the 2nd para is a straight lift from some old folk songs.

balaji
14th September 2005, 05:11 PM
Great Song Ramki. Hearing 'Vellao Nira" after many years.
Thanks to the Raman/Sriraman song also, liked it.

Bala

vijayr
14th September 2005, 08:06 PM
Ramki, I am not sure if you have already hosted this one. But do you have "gangai nadhi meeno" from Nyayam by IR? Its been ages since I have listened to the song anywhere and I remember it being a decent one. If you think its noteworthy, please consider it for a future pick.

From Mars
14th September 2005, 09:17 PM
Ramki,
now I have recollected the movie name, It's 'adhipadhi' [Sivaji Raja]. I wouldn't call it as a great song, but it's by KJY, that's good enough for me:) Yesterday I was looking for my resume, then found the KJY song list, it's about 800+, lets say the total could be 1000. mmmm out of 40000 songs that he sang, only 1000 in Tamil??

is it 'ponnai pOla aatha' or 'unnai pOla aatha'? I always confuse about it.

Ramki
15th September 2005, 05:10 AM
thumbru,
I notice traces of 'rojavai thalattum thendral' in 'veLLai nirathoru' . Are they based on same scale or raaga?

vijayr, I do have 'gangai nadhi'. Will host it soon. But i thought 'nyayam' is by GA?

FM 'adhipathi'?:))

Ramki
15th September 2005, 05:24 AM
Pick #167

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/konjum_jn.rm

Song: konjum malar manjam
Film: Janani
Singers : SPB, Vani Jairam
Lyrics:Nethaji

One of MSV's best from late 80's. IMO, the song has very difficult sandhams . The pallavi and saranam are so intricately related that if you listen to them seperately you might think they are from different songs.
I have a feeling that MSV might have set tune to prewritten lyrics. Speaking of lyrics, Nethaji also has done a fabulous job.
('idaiyenne iraivanaa
uLLadhaa illaiya
':)

VJ and SPB , as always, does a great work.

"Janani" is the last film produced by Gemini studios. It was directed by Nethaji. The film had Mahesh kumar(?) and a bengali actress (Her name was changed to Janani). The film was a washout.
'Mannikka maataaya'(KJY/PS) is another excellent song from Janani.

RC
15th September 2005, 06:11 AM
Ramki: The Hero's name is Udhayakumar who went on to act in "Malayalam" movies after this. The heroine's name I thought was "Gemini" Bhaavya(?) as there was another heroine (the one acted in Geethanjali - thuLLi ezhundhadhu paatu) with the same name.

RR
15th September 2005, 08:03 AM
thumbru,
I notice traces of 'rojavai thalattum thendral' in 'veLLai nirathoru' . Are they based on same scale or raaga?

Illai, Ramki. 'rojavai' is Pantuvarali and 'veLLai' is in Misra Sivararanjani. For more on the latter raga, you can read my magazine article.. :D

'konjum malar manjam' is in Shanmugapriya.

SN23
15th September 2005, 09:58 AM
As RC said Udaykumar did not get a good root in TFs, went to act in some low class Malayalam films.

Bhavya of Janani is different from Kannada Bhavya who acted as Heroine in Geethanjali (MuraLi, NaLini etc). She did a good job in that film though it was her first.

Ramki, before Janani was made, Gemini studio' rights, except colour processing lab, were sold to different parties. Even Gemini house was also sold later. Gemini production rights were sold to a media-magnet (not able recollect his name) who was exceutive editor of Gemini Cinema, Cine mag. This person had produced Janani but under Gemini production brand. So, I think Ellorum nallavare (Tamil, Telugu, Hindi) was the las set of movies under original Gemini studios.

I think Mannikka maattaayaa had 2 different solo versions by KJY and PS (not a duet). One of the interludes-less songs in TFM. It had a bare minimum usage of instruments (Bass Guitar).

From Mars
15th September 2005, 08:25 PM
Ramki,

I think MSV had other good songs for his credits in Late 80's. other movies that I can think, raasaathi kalyaaNam, thanga kalasam, sivappu malarkaL, vasantha raagam, vaLaiyal satham. IMO, 'raasaathi ennai thEdi varuvaarE raaja' is the best by MSV in Late 80's.

baroque
16th September 2005, 12:27 AM
'vellai nirathu...' by Ilayaraaja.. thanks Ramki! I am listening to it after a long time!! I am amazed at the emotional depth in Janaki's singing in this song!! thanks Ilayaraja! love, vinatha

Ramki
16th September 2005, 06:08 AM
RR thanks:)

RC thanks for catching the typo. aedho ninaippiile padam peraiye ange pottuten

SN23 i mentioned it as KJY/PS not (KJY, PS) :)

My pleasure baroque

Neel D
17th September 2005, 07:21 PM
The genre of light-classical songs has almost disappeared from TFM. The recent few attempts are nothing but jokes, with their loud synthetic beats that make me reach for headache pills. MSV, Shankar-Ganesh and Vijayabhaskar chose VJ for all of their difficult classical based compostions from the mid-70s to the early 90s. The combination of technical perfection, impeccable pronunciation, expressiveness and the majesty of VJ's voice has never been matched since. Nityasree has a lot of potential but is being wasted in the technical circus called today's music, taka taka taka jam. By the way what is up with that highspeed mridangam uruttal in that song taka taka taka jam? Did not mean to digress here.

Thanks for the great choice "konjum malar manjam", Ramki.

Ramki
19th September 2005, 05:14 AM
Pick #168

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/ethanai_ss.rm

Song: ethanai azhagu
Film: Sivagamiyin Selvan
Singer : SPB
Lyrics: Vaali?

Song sent and requested by RC. The hindi version 'roop tera' was sung by KK. MSV must have had a tough time to not get inspired from the all India famous 'aaradhana' songs. Each and every song in tamil sounded very different from the original. Personally i liked the hindi version better than the tamil(and ofcourse the film aaradhana was miles ahead than SS..it is tough to even imagine the bloated SG in the role of an young and charismatic pilot that rajesh khanna did with his own charm) .
I think Latha made her debut in SS. What was the tamil version of 'baghon mein bahaar hai'?

balaji
19th September 2005, 06:18 AM
Ramki,

Isn't this a solo? I believe Sivagamiyin Selvan's songs might have been recorded even before Vani started singing for Tamil movies in 1973.

The tamil version is 'Aadikku Pinne Aavani Madham Varuvadhu Undu.. Aamam..' by TMS and LRE, no where near the 'Baghon Mein Bahaar hai' song like the Roop Tera song!

However it is not fair to compare these songs to the hindi songs which heralded a new era of Kishore and RDB. Having said the songs were played often on Ilangai and AIR.

However MSV did give 4 good numbers
a. Iniyivale -- Korah Kagazka Ye Man mera
b. Ullam Rendum -- Mere Sapnon ki Raani
c. En Raajavin - Chandha Hai Tu
d. MSV Asiri Song

Mela Thalam a la 'Gungu Naara Haira Bhavru' did not impress me either.

Thanks for reminding the era.
Bala

RR
19th September 2005, 07:53 AM
Not too fair to compare, but since you brought it up, my vote goes to 'ethanai azhagu' for the feel and 'mood' of the situation. SPB just rocks. Tune, melody-wise, 'roop tera' is easily better.

SN23
19th September 2005, 01:17 PM
It was an honest attempt by MSV without copying even some shades of Aaradhana songs.

En rajavin roja mugam is very pleasant in its way. Especially that humming part at end of each charaNam.

I think Ulagam sutrum vaaliban was the first movie for Latha, but SS got released bit earlier.

Terrible cast of Sivaji, AVM Rajan, Latha (Vanishri exempted) and over-do for nothing, lead to a disaster of SS. The same thing happened when Mother India was remade in Tamil with Sivaji and Vanishri.

Piece of info on this POW. The entire song sequence was picturised in one single shot (4+ mins). Do not know how many "takes" it took. It seems the entire crew applauded the innovation of the director & lead pair. At end of the song, Sivaji will push Vanishri(looked very sexy in this song without Jaakettu) into bed and bounce on her :-)

balaji
19th September 2005, 06:08 PM
Ramki

"MSV must have had a tough time to not get inspired from the all India famous 'aaradhana' songs"

However KVM got inspired by ''Gungu Naara Haira Bhavru' ' and gave the 'Enga Veetu Thanga Therukku indha madham Thiru vizha' (SPB/PS duet) in Anurodhayam.

Bala

app_engine
19th September 2005, 06:44 PM
"which heralded a new era of Kishore and RDB"....Balaji, ArAdhanA is by SDB (the father Burman), I think...

balaji
19th September 2005, 07:10 PM
Sure Sir, Aradhana's MD was SD Burman.
RDB was assisting his father SDB in this film. 'Roop Tera' was always credited to RDB by trade circles and so are one/more songs in this film. However the pleasantness of the other songs had the SDB feel, at least to me...

Whatever may be truth, success of Aradhana and the super-duper 'Roop tera' song gave a lift to RDB's career and SDB slowly reduced his assignments (age could be a factor too!)

Bala

Ramki
20th September 2005, 06:04 AM
Thankyou all for posting your thoughts on ethanai azhagu

Pick #169

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/putham_sd.rm

Song: putham puthu meni
Film: subha dhinam
Singers : PSuseela, BalaMuraliKrishna
Lyrics: vaali

Thanks to JN for the song. (I apologize for the poor quality, i did my best to remove the noise).

On Jan 1st of every year, the very first song VB airs on ungaL viruppam is 'aandukku aandu thedhikku thedhi' by SG. The song is so popular, atleast on newyears, that it shadowed the another good song. Todays pick.
A beautiful duet by KVM(though i read that the song was actually tuned by TGLingappa for someother film. He later let the director of SD to use the song).
PS does a great job. She just breezes through the song with her sweet young voice and almost makes BMK voice just bearable.

Another popular song from SD is 'verenne ninaivu unnai thavira'(PS,TMS, ALR)

thumburu
20th September 2005, 04:24 PM
"konjum malar manjam" - what a great song!!! But sandham is similar to an IR song
"vaanam niram maarum" [But the ragas are different] from DhavaniKanavugal which got released few years before Janani.
Also MSV has reused the same phrase from his late 70's VJ solo song "Ganga Yamuna saraswathi" [ I don't know the film name]
for the line "vaarayo yen uyire" .
BTW, there is a song "welcome you are welcome" . Can anybody tell the movie and the MD for this song? I think SPB has sung this song.

RC
20th September 2005, 07:14 PM
thumburu: are you referring to
"welcome you are welcome you all are welcome
maalini mOhini raagini neelaveni welcome"

It is from Suvarillaadha chithirangaL. MD - GA?

rajeshkrv
20th September 2005, 08:31 PM
subhadinam
lyrics by Vaali

a great song..
thanks ramki

jn
20th September 2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks ramki:)
the small pause between "idho adho, edho" and "iyal, isai, viLai" is enjoyable.

Lyrics for the song:

BK: puththam pudhu mEni isaith thEni
thUngum malar vaNNamO
puththam pudhu mEni isaith thEni
thUngkum malar vaNNamO
dheyvIgak kai vaNNamO idhO adhO
edhO un mey vaNNamO
dheyvIgak kai vaNNamO idhO adhO
edhO un mey vaNNamO
PS: mannan thiru mEni magaraaNi
thUngum malar manjamO
mannan thiru mEni magaraaNi thUngum
malar manjamO

PS: kaN pEsum kadhai konjamO .. iyal .. isai
viLai nam iru nenjamO
kaN pEsum kadhai konjamO .. iyal.. isai ..
viLai nam iru nenjamO
mannan thiru mEni magaraaNi thUngum malar manjamO

BK: thuLLith thuLLi Odum puLLi maanO
mozhi thEnO
manavOdE nINda ninaivO(??)
susIlaa: aaaaaa
thuLLi nadai pOdum kani thaanO thamizh naanO
unthan paattil mayakkam EnO
BK: aaaaaa
PS: mannan thiru mEni magaraaNi thUngum
malar manjamO

BK: aththip pU pOlE anbu sOlai pUththa magaLallavO
PS: nenjaththil naaLum vaazhum dheyvam nIyallavO
iruvarum: uLLam thaan kOvil
vizhi vaasal
dhIpam uyirallavO
PS: anbukkOr aLavum
BK: illai
PS: inbamE namadhu
BK: ellai
puththam pudhu mEni isaith thEni thUngum
malar vaNNamO

Ramki
21st September 2005, 04:27 AM
rajeshkrv thanks for the detail
Jn thanks for the lyrics

Ramki
21st September 2005, 06:17 AM
Pick #170

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/naan_pv.rm

Song: naan thedum paadham
Film: pudhu vayal
Singer : KJYesudoss
Music: Sirpi

Thanks to Mano for sending this song. A semi-classical , hopefully one of Sipris favorite.
I do not have any othe details on the film

Click on the link below to get a listing of all songs from PV

http://nexus.tamilsoft.net/SongView.asp?PlayListId=371&Title=Pudhu%20Vayal

SN23
21st September 2005, 11:14 AM
Ramki, I hesitated to post this. Somehow I am not able to like (?) BMK's singing a cine-duet which should promote romantic mood in listeners. His too much classical 'nedi' does not gel with PS's sweet rendition. Even in Thanga radham vandhadhu, he forced heavy sangadhi's. This is purely my thought & not to degrade his greatness in music world. But I like his solos in Vadaimalai, NoolvEli etc. NOM :-)

thumburu
21st September 2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks RC. "Suvarillaadha chithirangaL" is ofcourse by GA only.

RC
21st September 2005, 11:14 PM
SN23: Thats exactly how I feel about BMK's duets, though I like thanga radham vandhadhu.

RR
22nd September 2005, 07:56 AM
SN23, RC

His early-day songs are like that. He can sing really light also. Just listen to his astapathi's (there's one in mallu film 'gaanam' - beautiful). I guess kavikkuyil songs can be considered light too.