PDA

View Full Version : IR New Albums - Ver 2006

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

vijayr
31st March 2007, 10:14 PM
and let me predict what mr. KR's response will be. He will either disappear completely after posting his usual rants above or will come back and post more ad hominem arguments without addressing the main issue.

And he will keep repeating the above routine as he simply cannot ignore my posts how much ever hard he tries :-)

ananth222
31st March 2007, 11:49 PM
[tscii:b139965c27]
"To vilify a great man is the readiest way in which a little man can himself attain greatness. "
— Edgar Allan Poe

[/tscii:b139965c27]

NormalMan
1st April 2007, 01:21 AM
[tscii:eb0d25e25e]
"To vilify a great man is the readiest way in which a little man can himself attain greatness. "
— Edgar Allan Poe

[/tscii:eb0d25e25e]

:thumbsup: :exactly: :clap:

vijayr
1st April 2007, 09:25 AM
Much like how to attack a poster instead of attacking just his viewpoints is the readiest way in which some small minds here attempt to seek validation(of their taste) :-)

raja_fan
1st April 2007, 09:26 AM
Thats fine, opinions differ. but raja fan, instead of acknowledging the fact that I or anyonne else have the right to feel different about the song, started attacking everyone personally. Thats where the problem started. Here is a sample:

Vijayr,

Yes, I attacked thumburu personally at the spur of the moment, but immediately apologised in my next post. Did you read the post ?

This shows how cultured you are man !

Really I did not know about you earlier. Now I come to know that people like kr are right in their opinion about you.

I still believe that you are not a IR fan, but throwing your BS ( in your own language ) out in this forum. You are a person who has surrendered himself to Sabesh-Murali.."Unnai Saranadaindhen" :)

ananth222,

You hit the bull's eye ! :clap:

vijayr
1st April 2007, 09:37 AM
Yeah raja fan, you showed your true "culture" with this post

Vijayr,

If you do not like MK songs, then tell that and I accept that there can be valid reasons for that ( like not so good orchestration, rehashes etc ).

But do not speak as though you know everything about what went on between Cheran and IR, Cheran and the 'great' Sabesh-Murali etc.

Yes, all directors have a love song in their script. You and me do not know about how Cheran delivered the whole script or situation to IR in MK. We cannot just go by the 2 mins audio conversation provided in the CD.
For the same love song situation, how IR turned up with splendid "Mandara poo" in Vinoda yatra ?

"Konjam" song in MK has bubbly cell phone conversation between lovers. I think IR has given a very well suited tune and Pa.Vijay has given appropriate lyrics.

It is really disgusting to know that any guy with good music taste can compare Sabesh-Murali with another good music director. that too with IR.Either you should be a die hard fan of Deva & brothers or you do not have good music taste.

There is no use in talking to you any more.

You didnt apologize or anything, not that I give a damn about it.

No one needs to get any certificates from you for cultured behavior.

Looks like its your habit to attack someone in the "spur of the moment" and then regret about it later. Nice going.

raja_fan
1st April 2007, 11:09 AM
" It is really disgusting to know that any guy with good music taste can compare Sabesh-Murali with another good music director. that too with IR.Either you should be a die hard fan of Deva & brothers or you do not have good music taste. "

No regrets here Vijayr !

I have mentioned only two things.

1. You could be a die hard fan of Deva & brothers.

This can never be a personal attack or nothing bad being a Deva fan. If it is so, I will rather apologise to Deva and his brothers :wink:

2. You do not have good music state.

This is just a feedback. Every day we hear feedbacks, it is up to us to accept it or throw it in the dust bin !

I did not call you bad names or use language like BS like you !

I attacked only Thumburu and my apologies only to him !

With this, I close my conversation with you ! I am atleast happy that there are enough people in this forum who have already experienced your style :)

With this, I close my conversation with you !
I am looking forward to discuss Ajanta here rather than wasting my time with you.

vijayr
1st April 2007, 11:55 AM
"This is just a feedback. Every day we hear feedbacks, it is up to us to accept it or throw it in the dust bin ! "

you give feedback on just songs, not on someone else's taste. Can I say that you suck or your taste sucks and call it a "feedback"? You first say it is "disgusting" and then you comment on my "taste". If you didnt like my comments on the song you could have just ignored it or commented on why you liked the song, instead of commenting on my taste or who I was a fan of. As if you know everything about me. And I never directly compared Deva or his brothers with IR. I just compared the 2 songs, thats all. Thats another mistake on your part. You assumed that I was comparing the overall abilities of the 2 MDs, when my only point was that for the same situation for the same director a better song was given by Sabesh-Murali. I called your POINTS BS, not you or your taste and even that only after your unprovoked attack.

raja_fan
1st April 2007, 12:16 PM
raaja.com says Ajanta audio in Tamil and Kannada has been released.

So may be they are waiting for Malayalam and Telugu to be completed before releasing all the songs in the net ?

NormalMan
1st April 2007, 12:44 PM
Mayakannadi as an album is alright, but not a dud. Wish IR had used more of non-synth and the lazy-arrangements (KR the culprit??). "Ulagile Azhagi " is my pick and could have been even more richer with more strings.

Vinodayathra is soothful and bliss. "Kaiyetha" rocks !!

krish244
2nd April 2007, 07:01 PM
Wanted to write more about "Ulagile Azhagi" song:

What I liked:

- Right from the start, it starts to captivate. Is that a guitar (I guess so) in the beginning of the song? As said earlier, its very different sounding guitar (??) coming from IR, later strings take over, reaches a big crescendo kind of thing and there is a silence. Just before Vijay Jesudas begins there is a simple and nice guitar start.

- I liked the tune played by the violins in the first interlude

- The way the violins go back and forth when the charanam starts is amazing. I have observed IR doing this in a couple of songs recently (especially charanams). One example is charanam of "Andha kaandamani"...check out the rhythm pattern when the charanam starts.

Minor irritants:

- the shifting to dafli kind of rhythm pattern in the pallavi and end of charanams. Its more evident when the female singer sings that portion.

This must be the song picturised abroad I guess. Looking forward to the picturisation.

thanks,

Krishnan

rooky
2nd April 2007, 10:15 PM
ya, ulagilae and konjam konjam are the picks of the album.
On repeated hearings,Ulagilae moves ahead.This i guess is due to the nice arrangements in the song.

On ajantha, there was an article in the bangalore edition of tamil papers,wherein the kannada lyrist (don't remember his name) gave credits to Raja for him(the lyrist) growing popular in kannada,after the movie "namma oore mathada hoovae" :).After that movie, this lyrist regularly writes for all kannada movies that raja does.

This article said,raja has scored different tunes for the different languages,hence amounting to 30 songs in total.

app_engine
2nd April 2007, 11:09 PM
http://content.msn.co.in/Tamil/Entertainment/Articles/0703-28-2.htm

எது எப்படி ஆனாலும்....பஞ்சு அருணாசலம் ரக்ஷப்பெட்டு:-)

kiru
3rd April 2007, 02:47 AM
After all the fist fights here :-) I decided to check out the unnai saranadainthEn from thavamai thavamirundhu..Is it just me or you guys notice it too ? This song seems to be recycled from one of Rahman's songs (?)

raja_fan
3rd April 2007, 11:42 AM
"Ulagilae" sounds more promising when heard in wma format. Mp3 really deceives..

crvenky
4th April 2007, 07:27 PM
Ajanta song samples (Tamil & Kannada) are in www.raaja.com. But I cant play anything. Can somebody hear and post the comments here? By the way, from the song names, it looks like 9 tunes (dubbed into 4 languages).

irir123
4th April 2007, 08:55 PM
followin is only based on the samples

"yengey irundhai" - sounds promising! lots of piano in the prelude n KJY's voice

"yarukku yaar" - prelude is listen-n-forget kind - the sample is too short

"thoorigai" - AMAZING prelude and IT ROCKS!!!

"yaarum" - prelude is vintage IR - WCM and guitar - n this song could be a modern cross between "metti oli" + "naldhorum" (from DEVADHAI)!

the album looks immensely promising!

irir123
4th April 2007, 09:03 PM
"vandhadhu yaar" - guys IR back with a BANG! this score gives a feel like a cross between "andalalo" + "yenna sattham"!!

raja_fan
4th April 2007, 10:30 PM
I am also NOT able to play anything from raaja.com..Pathetic :(

The page downloads with error.

irr123,

Enna browser use panreenga ?

Sanjeevi
4th April 2007, 11:04 PM
Ajantha audio is available on shops? :roll:

Any review pls (inetk kuda innum podala :wink:)

Sanjeevi
4th April 2007, 11:43 PM
listened all the 10 samples from raaja.com :D

some peppy scores
some typical IR funny scores
some WCM symphony style scores

almost i liked all samples

onnu mattum uruthiya theriyuthu "Raja akkarai eduthu panni irukkirar"

app_engine
5th April 2007, 12:03 AM
The samples sound promising...

rprasad
5th April 2007, 02:49 AM
Hi guys,

How did you manage to listen to the samples? The page shows an error and nothing happens when i click on the song link. Is there something that can be done to fix this? Let me know.

ananth222
5th April 2007, 03:06 AM
Hi guys,

How did you manage to listen to the samples? The page shows an error and nothing happens when i click on the song link. Is there something that can be done to fix this? Let me know.

The samples definitely sound very promising!
Try opening it in IE. You don't have to click, just move the mouse over the icon. (I personally think thats a poor user interface. It is not intuitive, and if you accidentally move the mouse it starts playing some other song. the raaja.com site could use some overall redesigning.)

app_engine
5th April 2007, 03:15 AM
I did just point the cursor to each of the song icon and it played...no need to click...

rprasad
5th April 2007, 03:35 AM
Thanks, Listened to them.All the songs sound pretty decent. The second song seems to be the best of the lot. All the others seem to have a nice rythm.

kr
5th April 2007, 05:53 AM
Your positive comments are going to irritate some of our regular IR bashers. So please brace yourselves for negative comments about the album and IR (irrespective of the actual quality of the album)

Hulkster
5th April 2007, 06:19 AM
Ajantha sounds extremely promising...there should not be negative comments...if there are dunt bother too much...:D

irir123
5th April 2007, 06:50 AM
am a HCIRF not happy with many of IR's recent albums - but AJANTA's samples have rekindled my lost love for IR!

raja_fan
5th April 2007, 07:55 AM
I moved the mouse over the cursor and still no luck :(

But happy that everybody is praising the songs :D

But still, who will notice the movie and the songs ? No star cast, no big director..This is the nth time Raja is doing this..spending his best on the worst. I am still not able to forget and forgive that "Konji Pesalam" :evil:

teja
5th April 2007, 08:51 AM
I moved the mouse over the cursor and still no luck :(

raja_Fan,

here are the direct links. Open them in your media player...

http://raaja.com/ajT1.mp3
http://raaja.com/ajT2.mp3
and so on...

MumbaiRamki
5th April 2007, 10:15 AM
Can anybody post it in rapidshare ?I cant download mp3s here .

raja_fan
5th April 2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks Teja. I am able to hear now..

Listened to first 4 songs.

Except one song by Unni Krishnan, I am not able to decide based on the samples..Any site with full songs ?

soukavi
5th April 2007, 12:11 PM
raaja used two different rhythm instruments for the tune "Yengey Irundhaai isaiye". second "Yengey Irundhaai" is really superb. good violin usage. for me this is pick of the album. :clap:

next "Yaarum thodatha".I like prelude(good string usage :clap: ).

then "vanthathu yaar" I like this prelude verymuch. may be main pallavi starts later.

slogam also Ok.

from these songs I expect, hero of this film is singer. if so whats new in story and song situation???

raja_fan
5th April 2007, 12:26 PM
Soukavi,

The hero is a MD.

12bums
5th April 2007, 09:55 PM
IR busy in MFM:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/article/30320.html

irir123
5th April 2007, 10:16 PM
"vanthathu yaar" bit sounds like "deep in my heart" portion of "polla vilayaen" from TiS!!

kiru
6th April 2007, 02:59 AM
raaja used two different rhythm instruments for the tune "Yengey Irundhaai isaiye". second "Yengey Irundhaai" is really superb. good violin usage. for me this is pick of the album. :clap:

Right, the second one is good. Actually, the whole album is full or rich strings arranged in counterpoint style (two or three threads of melody playing the same time). So what are the two different rhythm instrument ? I actually miss the rhythm arrangements of IR's 80s ..for eg. poongkathavE thaazh thiravaai has drums (high hats), congas + mirudhangam.

vandhathu yaar ..later part sounds like a 80s hit. Re: slokam..I feel like singing veenaiyadi nee enakku after the alapana ends..

Overall, it is good. If the movie becomes a hit, the songs might become popular.

MumbaiRamki
6th April 2007, 01:37 PM
Does Ajanta sound like Julie Ganapthy ?

venkiks
6th April 2007, 08:30 PM
Ulagile Azhaghi Nee thaan is one of the best songs I have heared in teh recent past. The last one that I appreciated was some of the songs from Mozhi. I have Sivaji and Mayakannadi in the same CD. Ulagile Azhagi is the best in the lot. Great work by Raaja.

Sanjeevi
8th April 2007, 06:39 PM
Surprised with the price of Ajantha CD. It is only Rs. 33 including Rs. 5 discount coupon for movie. Thus, its actual price is Rs. 28 only.

rooky
8th April 2007, 10:43 PM
About Jayarams' movie..

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/article/30358.html

Looks like lot of scope for IR in this movie :)

irir123
9th April 2007, 01:49 AM
sanjeevi - where did you buy Ajanta CD ?

MumbaiRamki
9th April 2007, 11:24 AM
Surprised with the price of Ajantha CD. It is only Rs. 33 including Rs. 5 discount coupon for movie. Thus, its actual price is Rs. 28 only.
mm..Atleast now ,we should buy original CDs ..Good move by the producer ..

To be honest for a movie with average actors ,IR and 5Rs/- discount are the only ways to bring in some crowd (Tell me ..whoever saw Konji pesalam should be an IR fan :) )

MrJudge
9th April 2007, 03:17 PM
After listening to the samples, this album looks like will have couple of nice melodies with Raja's touch, will buy the album and see.

Also there are couple of songs, one starts like 'kaiyil keyboard' and another female song which sound bad to me atleast.

raja_fan
9th April 2007, 03:34 PM
For the last three days, I could see Vinoda Yatra songs repeatedly in Malayalam channels..Songs are sure hit !

But how about the movie ?

raja_fan
9th April 2007, 03:37 PM
For the last three days, I could see Vinoda Yatra songs repeatedly in Malayalam channels..Songs are sure hit !

But how about the movie ?

crvenky
9th April 2007, 04:10 PM
Sify's review of Vinodayathra:

http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/review.php?id=14426079&ctid=5&cid=2428

"Ilayaraja has come out with some nice tunes"

I saw the interview of Sathyan Anthikkad in Asianet. He was mentioning why he goes to Raja for all his ventures. He also said Raja & Cheran after watching the movie, were all praise for the location and asking where it was. Its apparently some village near Palakkad.

krish244
9th April 2007, 04:38 PM
Enge Irundhai has nice piano (or piano sounding synth sound) usage in the prelude. The second version has even nicer accompanying strings section (a little unlike IR). Great prelude for the song "Vandhadhu yaar" and the pallavi itself has a melodious tune. The way the piano + strings section has been used for "thoorigai indri" is nice, but I did not expect a high pitched pallavi. The prelude for "yaarum thodadha" is different and nice as well.

In the above songs, something more refreshing and new to expect from IR. I am looking forward to hear the full version of the above songs in this movie.

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
9th April 2007, 06:53 PM
what a blissful album after so many days. A completely satisfying one. will pour in more thoughts after more listenings.

irir123
9th April 2007, 09:38 PM
rajasaranam - pls give us the link for buying the audio online

thinkfloyd
9th April 2007, 11:33 PM
Rajasaranam and others,
I'm sorry but i'm a bit lost here. Which album are you talking about? Can you pl provide the links for the samples?

MrJudge
10th April 2007, 01:12 PM
Rajasaranam and others,
I'm sorry but i'm a bit lost here. Which album are you talking about? Can you pl provide the links for the samples?

Ajanta and the samples are available at www.raaja.com

thinkfloyd
10th April 2007, 05:19 PM
Rajasaranam and others,

Ajanta and the samples are available at www.raaja.com
Thanks! :)

rajasaranam
12th April 2007, 07:18 PM
I though of writing a decent review before presenting this to fellow Raaja Fans.
As my days are getting busy Iam not able to do that hence here is my present for you all
http://rapidshare.com/files/25559684/Ajanthaa.rar.html

BTW Raajavin isaikku entha vimarasanamum thevai illai mukkiyamai intha padathirkku.
"ithuVarai Ajantha endraal Kaalathaal azhiyaatha Oviyum INI Ajantha Endraal Kaalathal Azhiyaatha Isai Kaaviyam"

Enjoy :)

buggle
12th April 2007, 08:01 PM
IR and BR joining hands..

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/illaaiyaraja_070412.html

buggle
12th April 2007, 08:16 PM
IR and BR joining hands..

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/specials/cinema/specials/illaaiyaraja_070412.html

app_engine
12th April 2007, 08:27 PM
On the above news of possible BR-IR combo:

It could also be because recently BR-VM have strained relations...in Kumudam Q&A VM has explained the reason...there could be more to that...(like VM-mu.kA v/s BR-AIADMK affections, VM skipping Manoj's marriage function & BR not appreciating the gift etc. while IR was kind of doing the thAi mAman role in the marriage)

BTW, BR had VM for the first time in nizhalgaL. He had five superb films prior to that with songs as good as (in some cases even better than) his post-nizhalgaL ventures that had more of VM...(nizhalgaL is the top IMHO and it had pon mAlaippozhudhu by VM, madai thiRandhu by VAli and poongathavE thAzh thiRavAi by GA...I'm not sure about the lyricist of `dhooraththil nAn kaNda un mugham'...if anything, VM's contribution to the success of nizhagaL i.e. as a music album can be accounted at the max 25%...and the movie was a flop)

BR should mentally come out of this "VM syndrome" (means throwing away IR in lieu of VM), which didn't do him much good. As this article points out, his only successful venture without IR is `kizhakku cheemaiyilE' which is a very low percentage considering the failures without him. There again who remembers KC songs today?

OTOH, while he had failures with Raja too (one that quickly comes to mind is vAlibamE vA vA whose music as well as the movie sunk without a trace), they were fewer compared to the successes. And the successes weren't some average grossers but really colossal ones and some were even remarkable trend-setters in TF & TFM!

buggle
12th April 2007, 08:57 PM
On the above news of possible BR-IR combo:

It could also be because recently BR-VM have strained relations...in Kumudam Q&A VM has explained the reason...there could be more to that...(like VM-mu.kA v/s BR-AIADMK affections, VM skipping Manoj's marriage function & BR not appreciating the gift etc. while IR was kind of doing the thAi mAman role in the marriage)

BTW, BR had VM for the first time in nizhalgaL. He had five superb films prior to that with songs as good as (in some cases even better than) his post-nizhalgaL ventures that had more of VM...(nizhalgaL is the top IMHO and it had pon mAlaippozhudhu by VM, madai thiRandhu by VAli and poongathavE thAzh thiRavAi by GA...I'm not sure about the lyricist of `dhooraththil nAn kaNda un mugham'...if anything, VM's contribution to the success of nizhagaL i.e. as a music album can be accounted at the max 25%...and the movie was a flop)

BR should mentally come out of this "VM syndrome" (means throwing away IR in lieu of VM), which didn't do him much good. As this article points out, his only successful venture without IR is `kizhakku cheemaiyilE' which is a very low percentage considering the failures without him. There again who remembers KC songs today?

OTOH, while he had failures with Raja too (one that quickly comes to mind is vAlibamE vA vA whose music as well as the movie sunk without a trace), they were fewer compared to the successes. And the successes weren't some average grossers but really colossal ones and some were even remarkable trend-setters in TF & TFM!
Yes you are correct on the success %, as well as the last movie they worked together had great songs..So for pure VM relationship BR broke with IR which was stupid..
It's not like IR-RVU, i think the last movie they worked together was a junk movie and the movie was a disaster too..so he moved out of IR

Sanjeevi
12th April 2007, 09:25 PM
Read IR interview in Kumudam

He said

"Kutraparambarai BR-vudaiya latchiyapadaippu. Oru latchiyapadaippuku naan thunai nirpathil aatchepanai illai"

IR-ku innum BR mela gopam mutrilum kuraiyavillai enbathu ithilirunthu therikirathu. Mella mella athu maraiya vendum. Appotham superb musical album kidaikum

vijayr
12th April 2007, 10:03 PM
Add Vedham pudhidhu and Karuththamma as successful non IR-BR films.
I am not sure that BR chose VM over IR. I guess BR had his own differences with IR. Otherwise he wouldnt have worked with IR in movies like Pudhu nellu pudhu naathu, en uyir thozhan, Nadodi Thendral etc. which came after the IR-VM split.

raja_fan
12th April 2007, 10:30 PM
Which edition of Kumudam ? Latest ? I am not able to find IR's interview :(

raja_fan
12th April 2007, 10:39 PM
Anyways..

They are too late ! That generation is gone and very less people will take them BR-IR seriously now..

Samsaaram adhu minsaram dialogue ninaivukku varugiradhu !

Nallaa irundha paanaiyai udaichaachu..inime ennatha ottinaalum ottaadhu..

Ilaiyaraajaavin pidivaadha gunathaal evvalavu izhappugal :(

Maniratnam
Rajini
Bharathiraja
Balachandar

Evvalavu izhappugal isaikku...Idhai payan padithi kondu evvalavu kuppaigal nuzhaindhu vittana :(

Sanjeevi
12th April 2007, 10:41 PM
yes latest

today or tomorrow you can buy

app_engine
12th April 2007, 11:42 PM
>>I am not sure that BR chose VM over IR.<<

At least that was the reason cited at the time of `vEdham pudhidhu' (BTW this movie got some acclaims / awards etc. and had decent music by Devendran -though resembled IR a lot, `kaNNukkuL nooru nilavA' can easily be mistaken for an IR song- but not a big commercial success...may be did moderate business...)

After their apparent patch up with `en uyir thOzhan', why did they split again?...Does anyone know?...Was it because of VM's renewed career after the successful arrrival of ARR that made BR think like ...'Well, why should I go and beg this IR...He is soon going to be a spent force...I have my VM and can work with the new whiz-kid...'

kiru
12th April 2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks rs, for the upload. Dont completely agree with you..But I like your earlier statement..the album is 'very satisfying'. In these days, when MDs are happy with composing a catchy pallavi it is good to be able to listen to the whole song..especially if you dont analyse or compare.

In general, most of us IR fans are beginning to think alike..I sort of agree with raja_fan on IR's probable intransigence and sanjeevi on the pent up anger part..Yesterday, I watched a movie with my 5yr old son, Meet the Robinson's ..this is about an orphaned boy searching for his mother..the message is let go off the past and 'Keep Moving Forward' (which turns out to be the logo of his successful corporation in future ..typical american style :-)) also abused in our neighborhood as 'mannippOm marappOm'..Still there is value in this..pent up bad feelings affect our performance..especially if you are an artist ..composer etc.

Anyways..what the heck is this 'rhythm programming' man ..sucks the genuineness out of good lyrics with this 'beats in a for loop' kind of perfect timing thingy..only us software engineers are programming with our head..why not these musicians play with their heart and soul for heavensake..

app_engine
13th April 2007, 12:30 AM
I wasn't able to get the files from rapidshare, rs...In any case, my strong feeling for Ajantha (regardless of how the songs are), any effort by IR is vizhalukku iRaiththa neer...I'd be too happy to be proven wrong...

I'd rather wait for 'pazhassi rAjA'...

soukavi
13th April 2007, 12:39 AM
I was not able to download from rapidshare.
please upload to sendspace

irir123
13th April 2007, 04:02 AM
review from first listen

1.yengae irundhaai - FRESH tune (though has subtle shades of "thendral katrey, konjam nillu" from early 1990s and
VS Narasimhan's "nano kann paarthaen" from some 1985 movie)- KJY's voice sounds jaded though - lyrics appear to be relevant to the implied theme of the movie

2."thoorigai" - second interlude awesome!! flute dialogue classic IR - tune a bit odd in the charanam portion, but the strings going hand-in-hand with the vocals is the IR i been missing for long

3."yaarum thodaatha" - VINTAGE IR! Shreya is one of the rarest gifts to have entered the film industry - she rocks - the first interlude has very interesting short sax pieces - only the charanam part is a notch below the pallavi (in terms of the sheer beauty of the pallavi)- second interlude has AMAZING strings section, followed by a very different flute-violin dialogue - the trademark IR style strings + flute overrule the synth usage

4.sloka - it is more like a Bhajan bit - my pick of the album! for long, as a HCIRF, I have wondered how it would sound, if IR were to come up with an album with full-fledged Hindustani style music! this piece is a classic demonstration of how it would sound like - wonder who the singer is, the voice is great, but the pronounciation is a bit off - my wishlist's top item: IR does more numbers like this, exploring Hindustani classical stuff and get some
well-known, well-trained classical singer to sing the same - it is a pity that this piece is short - it had all the potential of blossoming into a treat like "jhoote naina bole" from Lekin

5.yengae irundhaai - second version - has more use of cello, viola than the first version and the rhythm is more subdued - but again, the tune's freshness is very heartening - second interlude has a very interesting twist on strings! irritants: the synth-based weird 'noises' that IR seems to have picked up from "Mayakkanadi" compositions

6."kaiyyil oru" - listen-and-forget-it - apaswaram - sticks out like an ugly thumb - but it might become popular, given the kind of music that sells

7."yengae irundhai" - just as i was wondering how come IR hasnt sang the signature song of the movie, here it is - same interludes as song no.1, and IR's singing matches KJY's in its sheer AGE!

8."idho" - pallavi sucks bigtime! IR trying to be Yuvan and its like Sachin trying to play the hook/pull shot like Ganguly! but hey, the first interlude has the long-forgotten
IR low-bass flute (recall 'aasaya kaathhula') - and then with the first charanam the tune morphs into a sweet flowing melody, a different tune! perhaps its for some stage music/ dance competition kinda situation

9."vandhadhu yaar" - the prepallavi has shades of Shankar Ganesh's "oru kadhal devadhai nerinil vandhaal" from some late 1980s movie! the main song's interludes are ditto as song no.2, but the tune isnt as good as I anticipated

10."podudaa" - goes straight to the garbage bin! even at the heights of his creative prowess during the 1980s, this would have merited exactly thus

Overall the interludes are more interesting/appealing, than the main tunes themselves, in all the songs!! cant explain why I feel so

but, the scores just do not match the anticipation the samples created, period!

MumbaiRamki
13th April 2007, 10:03 AM
irir123,
Agree with ur comments .Wish song 10 ,6 were not there ..

In all the songs as u have mentioned ,Raaja rules and jumps with his interludes !!!!

Sanjeevi
13th April 2007, 11:24 AM
Inema Naangathan

a half an hour special programme Tomorrow in Sun TV at 3.00 PM

Don't miss it

The film release date is announced on Today's newspapers.

rajasaranam
13th April 2007, 12:11 PM
irir,

thanks for a beautiful review, My pick of the album were
Enge irunthaai isaiye - Trio
Thoorigai indri
Vanthathu Yaar
Yaarum Thodatha Ondrai
Keerthanai

the mood swing between the three versions of the Enge irunthaai isaiye has been maintained well by tweaking the interludes and lyrics a bit here and there.
The 1st version is a happy version where someone who is awed by music is having a dialogue with it. In the same version the female joins in to glorify music in relation to religion. The 2nd jazzy interlude somehow infuses the bubbling happiness in the singer having found music and then suddenly transforms to reverence towards music.
The 2nd version interludes are completely different to keep up the mood of lost person and a female joining in the second stanza singing some nostalgic moments both of them had earlier.
the 3rd version sung by Raaja himself is a self glorifying song which
takes the lyrics from 1st version's first stanza and 2nd version's second stanza where in the lyrics completely imply the relationship of a composer to music.

thoorigai indri/Yaarum thodatha/vanthathu yaar have some vintage Raaja interludes which we are missing a lot. though kept short than his 80's lengthy mini symphonic interludes its good to hear such music and get solace that he is not completely lost :wink:
thoorigai indri some how reminds me of the Siru siru siragugalil from Konji Pesalam :?
Ilamai itho is a good composition too barring the pallavi. And exactly the same song 'Aaasaiya kaathula' came to my mind after listening to the first interlude... and the way it transforms into the 2nd stanza is amazing, a very beautiful soul stirring melody is waiting for us. May be Raaja conceived this song as a music flowing from junk to greater heights. 8-)
Overall This a very good album IMHO barring Kaiyil oru keyboardum and Podu Sakkai podu.

rajasaranam
13th April 2007, 12:37 PM
After their apparent patch up with `en uyir thOzhan', why did they split again?...Does anyone know?...Was it because of VM's renewed career after the successful arrrival of ARR that made BR think like ...'Well, why should I go and beg this IR...He is soon going to be a spent force...I have my VM and can work with the new whiz-kid...'

It was after Nadodi thendral - for which the story and songs were also written by Raaja along with composing music. But the movie flopped and BR didn't settle money to Raaja asking him also the share the loss. But Raaja As usual "natpu vera thozhil verannu'' sollitaar :(
VM-ARR kellam ithula sambandham illai cos BR made captain magal and some other movie in between with music of Margathmani aka MMkreem aka Keeravani (Ethaanai peruppa orutharkku :) )

MumbaiRamki
13th April 2007, 12:44 PM
nadodi thenral - story was by sujatha ...skillfully butchered by screenplay by Bharathi Raaja

Sanjeevi
13th April 2007, 12:49 PM
Ilamai itho clearly reminds me "Pani Vizhum Iravu" song much than "Aasaiya kaathula thothuvittu" (only the beat)

I liked three songs equally - Yarku Yar entur, Yaarum Thodatha, Engirunthai isaiya. Next Thoorigai inri...

zz
13th April 2007, 02:58 PM
App_engine:

>>>"There again who remembers KC songs today?

A_E, you were talking about Kizhakku seemaiyile.

Even today it is played in the FM channels, especially aathankarai marame...
Also, coincidently my father who is slowly learning how to play music in MP3 player in computer was clicking in the "then kizhakku cheemai yile " song, and I remarkjed him to observe how closely it resembles " lesa lesa " song...

There is a huge world outside the big fat pot inside which many are riding horses...

Hope they peep outside once in a while.

Sanjeevi
13th April 2007, 03:02 PM
According to me Kizhakku is still listenable and playing in Channels, but yet another BR+ARR combo film Karuthamma do not get the same status.

Sanjeevi
13th April 2007, 03:02 PM
Happy Tamil New Year to all Music (IR) fans :)

kj
13th April 2007, 03:22 PM
I am just happy listening to the AWESOME fretless bass line being played in vandhadhu yaar..Sometimes I feel sorry for the musicians working for IR..they are as good as any world class musicians but totally unkown.But kudos to them for happily being an unknown entity in the shadow of the Maestro.

raja_fan
13th April 2007, 03:51 PM
Mumbai Ramki,

The story of Nadodi thendral was by IR.
Atleast the titles of the movie say that !

rajasaranam
13th April 2007, 03:53 PM
nadodi thenral - story was by sujatha ...skillfully butchered by screenplay by Bharathi Raaja

I clearly remember the title card of the movie where in Kathai & Paadalagal were attributed to Raaja
this page supports it i believe
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155896/

Moreover sujatha in his series of articles coming in Kumdam or AV about his association with film field have not mentioned NT, and he says he lost faith in giving/writing stories for movies in early 80's itself, as he had no more guts to see his stories getting butchered, and he is happy with writing only the dialogues.

raja_fan
13th April 2007, 03:56 PM
Guys,

Don't miss Pithamagan tommorrow at 6 PM on SUN TV.

app_engine
13th April 2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-04-18/pg4.php

IR interview to Kumudam...talks about `kutRapparambarai'...also brief mention about TbI...

rooky
13th April 2007, 10:45 PM
Some more promising info. on IRs' upcming Malayalam Movie "suryan"

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/article/30510.html

app_engine
14th April 2007, 12:10 AM
Hope this 'suryan' has a liberal dose of mridhangam & gatam...of late IR is very miserly in his use of mridh, gatam and such instruments...even in a semi-classical 'kAtRil varum geethamE', one had to search for it...

Another expectation is a composition on some rare rAgA...or experimentation of some kind within the boundaries of carnatic music...

raja_fan
14th April 2007, 07:46 AM
IndiaGlitz says "just wait for a few days"..So the movie is near its release ? I thought it is yet to take off..

inetk
14th April 2007, 11:14 AM
Ajantha. 100 words. Thanks to Rajasaranam. Annoying soundtrack, IMO.

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2007/04/14/ajantha-tamil-ilayaraja/

Sanjeevi
14th April 2007, 04:25 PM
Inema Naangathan

a half an hour special programme Tomorrow in Sun TV at 3.00 PM

Don't miss it

The film release date is announced on Today's newspapers.

Just saw the programme

The theme music was really superb, a wonderful music composition by IR, and they played 3 times in the programme. :bluejump:

Two songs was telecasted, i think relief from his current MK, Ajantha songs to fans who want new from IR

And one villupattu (remember pithamagan songs kathambam) with many tamil hit songs (janani, raja kaiaya vacha, pothuva enmanasu and so on)

It seems all songs by Vijay Jesudass

There are four major characters, I tried to identify the voices. Pandu has given his voice for one comedy char.

The main thing I enjoyed most was the comedy scenes / dialogs

Certainly it is the first Indian animated film who speaks about social issue

Propably it is first 3D animation movie in India atleast in Tamil?

This is Ilayaraja's second animation movie? and also in second in Tamil? anybody confirm it.

In hollywood, anim films has biggest market (Shrek sakkai podu pottathu in BO). Currently there is no market for this kind of films in tamil. If it will do good business, new chapter will open? Will anim films get life?

:)

raja_fan
14th April 2007, 04:36 PM
"It seems all songs by Vijay Jesudass"

Correction..by Madhu Balakrishnan.

Yes, the songs were a refreshing stuff from IR !

Sanjeevi
14th April 2007, 04:41 PM
"It seems all songs by Vijay Jesudass"

Correction..by Madhu Balakrishnan.

Yes, the songs were a refreshing stuff from IR !

:lol:

r u sure? rendu peru voice-um KJJ mathiri than irukkuthu, orey confusion

:confused2:

Hulkster
14th April 2007, 05:22 PM
Not really...Madhu Balakrishnan has more gambeeram in his voice....while Vijay Yesudoss is more softened :exactly:

kr
14th April 2007, 06:53 PM
I am surprised people have not dscussed the Music Messiah much here. If you havent heard it, hear it on a nice system a least 3-4 times. The scores are just brilliant and the orchestration is so majestic. There is a theme music that is heard in all the numbers and it is so lovely. It is another testament to IR's genius.

kr
14th April 2007, 06:53 PM
I am surprised people have not dscussed the Music Messiah much here. If you havent heard it, hear it on a nice system a least 3-4 times. The scores are just brilliant and the orchestration is so majestic. There is a theme music that is heard in all the numbers and it is so lovely. It is another testament to IR's genius.

raja_fan
14th April 2007, 07:07 PM
Did anybody watch MK songs in any channel today ? Any idea on the picturisation ?

Sanjeevi
14th April 2007, 11:30 PM
saw Mayakannadi :banghead:

did not like the movie

Cheran is in his all time low

raja_fan
15th April 2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.searchindia.com/search/tamil-movies/mayakkannadi-movie-review.html

A very discouraging review !

So again Cheran has proved that he will work with IR only for the worst of his movies :(

Now what to look for in Tamil for IR ??

Ajanta is again a hopeless movie..
Inimae Nangathaan is a kids' movie..

Hope is there only in Malayalam..Let us convert this thread to IR's new Mallu Albums :)

raja_fan
15th April 2007, 10:55 AM
For all those who were disappointed earlier with MK music, you can have a sigh of relief that IR did not give his best for this movie :D

I just saw the clip of "Ulagilae azhagi.." in Jaya TV..

What to say ? Self mockery at its highest :rotfl:

People use to make fun of Ramarajan. But now you will realize how Ramarajan made IR's songs more watchable for years :)

Ilaiyaraajavodu padam pannum podhu mattum yendaa ippadi sodahappareenga ? :banghead:

Sanjeevi
15th April 2007, 11:26 AM
Positive review for Mayakannadi

http://lakhsmee.blogspot.com/2007/04/mayakannadi-review.html

Sanjeevi
15th April 2007, 11:27 AM
Enjoy Inimae Naangathan song

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u215/aravindkarthik/?action=view&current=inime-nangathan.flv

MrJudge
15th April 2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, saw MK, huge disappointment. It is hightime Cheran should concentrate only on direction and stop acting unless the role fits for him. I hadn't listened to the songs before going to the movie, only couple of them sounded good, especially Ulaga azhagi. But why on earth IR decided to sing yela yela song? Looks like IR hasn't seen the changes happened/happening to the tfm over the years and still stuck with his old ideas. :(

vem
16th April 2007, 07:31 AM
Very bad review about MK background music in behindwoods.com

If there is a let down in the movie it must be the background music by Ilaiyaraja. The Maestro stamp is clearly missing in most places. The music and the scenes do not gel. Two songs grab attention. --- by Karthik and Shreya and Kaasu Illata, a thought provoking number by Ilaiyaraja himself. Otherwise, the album is pretty ordinary.

MumbaiRamki
16th April 2007, 09:46 AM
It is stupid that behindwoods says IR background score is bad ! - My review on Maayakannadi and the music of it .

http://mumbairamki.wordpress.com/

app_engine
16th April 2007, 08:16 PM
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?id=14430595&ctid=5&cid=2429

IR's songs are "silver lining" in the cloud...

NormalMan
16th April 2007, 08:33 PM
There is a nasty dog fight going on between these online media partners aka IndiaGlitz, Sify, BehindWoods. It all depends on who get's selected as the "online media partner" for a movie. For sure IndiaGlitz goes overboard in promoting their movies. Not sure whom to trust.

app_engine
16th April 2007, 10:03 PM
NormalMan, The old watchdogs (kumudam, vikatan) are much better reviewers than any of these new media guys, IMO...of these kumudam typically reflects box office results (means vimarsanam from a average movie goer viewpoint) and vikatan a above-average movie enthusiast's view point (may not accurately reflect BO, but has sometimes even influenced BO performance after the vimarsanam)

app_engine
16th April 2007, 10:06 PM
Both kumudam & vikatan praised autograph & TT. If they dump MK, don't bother watching the movie...Till they review, wait...

app_engine
16th April 2007, 10:12 PM
>>Looks like IR hasn't seen the changes happened/happening to the tfm over the years and still stuck with his old ideas<<

MrJudge, that's usually the case with "trend-setters"...even when they are not setting the trend anymore, they won't follow the trend...enna seiyya?

IR, being the smart man he is, has realised this and that's probably the reason he is signing up more MalayALam movies. I think in Thamizh, he is quite satisfied with the way his son (read YSR) has shaped up and IMO has to be strongly persuaded to take any assignment.

However, since he still has tons of composing talent (which need not depend upon trends and fancies), he should attempt more classical / artistic works is the expectation of his admirers...

I read in msvtimes.com that MSV, after heart surgery and in 70's, is still composing and I'm more than 100% sure he is not following any of these "trends"...(though his `engEyum eppOdhum' is a better hip song than many current ones)...IR is just a 10 year younger version of MSV in this aspect...What's more...he has his team to be fed, his time to be spent...as long as there are people approaching him, he'll churn out what he thinks is good music...

I read in a blog which quoted a 'chitrabhoomi' interview with IR where he says his best songs were for Malayalam movies...(even after removing the marketing part of it, it still has a ring of truth if we consider some of his wonderful songs in Malayalam...)

Sanjeevi
17th April 2007, 12:06 AM
However, since he still has tons of composing talent

yes app_engine you are correct and once the same message was expressed by KJJ with different words, "so many forms music are hidden in his heart".

But unfortunately the directors and IR himself are wasting his talents. I saw Mayakkanndai at first day by giving more money. But I am disspointed with the film eventhough Cheran tried to give a good message. But he lacks in the presentation and he don't know to make scenes without using dialogues. According to me, cinema is visual medium rather than dialog oriented.

It is clearly known, IR himself disappointed with the film, his RR in the first half was so good esp. while cheran imagination himself as a cine hero, but IMO he confused after that. Believe me, there as no RR many places. yes, silence was the most used RR in this film. Cheran has definitely confused how to finish the movie, before 10 min to end the movie, many people went out theatre because they thought film is over, but?. Eventhough MK disappoined me, i liked the storyline and nice climax. But the main mistake was the presentation and many unwanted scenes/dialogues (length morethan 3 hours :shock:). Padathula rendu mads (Cheran, Nayva) pesikittae irukkura mathiri oru feeling enakku and Cheran's hairstyle too irritated me.

Sanjeevi
17th April 2007, 12:14 AM
For all those who were disappointed earlier with MK music, you can have a sigh of relief that IR did not give his best for this movie :D

I just saw the clip of "Ulagilae azhagi.." in Jaya TV..

What to say ? Self mockery at its highest :rotfl:

People use to make fun of Ramarajan. But now you will realize how Ramarajan made IR's songs more watchable for years :)

Ilaiyaraajavodu padam pannum podhu mattum yendaa ippadi sodahappareenga ? :banghead:

Hi raja_fan, padathul intha paattu than rasikka mudikirathu with IR's wonderful preludes and interludes

venkiks
17th April 2007, 05:18 PM
What happened to TFM page? There are no postings in any of the threads in the past few days?

Did anybody watch Mayakannadi? What do you feel?

I watched it last Friday here in Minneapolis. I really liked the first half but the second half was a drag. The movie ran for 3hr 15min. I guess Cheran have might removed some scenes for release in India.

Music. I already like 4 songs in this movie. There was some problem in the theatre where I watched the movie, most part the volume was low with no effects. For Ulagile Azhagi Nee Thaan song, the scene did not sync with the song. I don't know when the responsible people will stop deceving and exploiting the tamilians here.

BGM: I have no comments.

MumbaiRamki
18th April 2007, 09:14 AM
venkiks ,
Some of us have watched maaya kannadi ..if u scroll up ,u can see the comments from sanjeevi ,myself and mr.judge ....

I felt teh first half was a drag ,but the second half was nice ,considering cheran's sensibilities.

MrJudge
19th April 2007, 05:40 PM
MrJudge, that's usually the case with "trend-setters"...even when they are not setting the trend anymore, they won't follow the trend...enna seiyya?

Yeah, that is the norm. But I believe IR is different from other trend-setters, and I don't want IR to follow the trend. So I am still hoping that he can turn things around and bounce back just by going back to live orchestra. Working with couple of good directors, lyricists and staying away from singing atleast in the movie will bring him back to the lost battle.

IR, being the smart man he is, has realised this and that's probably the reason he is signing up more MalayALam movies.

I don't mind IR doing more movies and giving good music in Malayalam, but listening to tamil music is top priority, well not only to me, that will be the case with many IR fans.

In Mayakannadi, he had a good opportunity to give something good but failed IMO except couple of decent numbers.

raja_fan
19th April 2007, 10:08 PM
Two things are felt by every IR fan.

1. He should go back to his original manual orchestration.

2. His 80s tunes had carnatic style fluctuations . That "nelivu sulivu" matters are missing nowadays.

Most of his current tunes are just plain with breaks in pallavi which doesn't mesmerize..example is "Nilavai sutri.." from Madhu etc..

But in Malayalam, he is delivering his old magic.

Nichayamaaga thamizhargal mel avarukku ava-nambikkaiyo alladhu kobamo irukku :)

raja_fan
20th April 2007, 07:44 AM
The Hindu Review :

"http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/04/20/stories/2007042000230200.htm"

"Bottomline: Disappointing! "

"The film certainly benefits from Ilaiyaraja's songs and the background. He has literally celebrated his 31st year in films. From "Annakkili" to "Maayakkannadi" he has come a long way. The songs and orchestration do have something to talk about. "

Hulkster
20th April 2007, 08:20 AM
So bottomline is disappointing film lifted by Raja's music...:D

Hulkster
20th April 2007, 08:58 AM
Just listened to Ajantha Songs...in summary

Return of trademark WCM music and orchestration techniques.

Different style of arranging the vocals for thoorigai.

There is freshness and no blunt sounding rhythm or synth in the songs..all have been mixed well...certainly a good album :D

vigneshram
20th April 2007, 11:34 AM
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/04/whats-wrong-raja.html

Hope my post reflects the musings of all IR fans who miss his style of music and expect more from him

Hulkster
20th April 2007, 11:43 AM
I believe IR had once mentioned where i pay tax to my govt dutifully but they never give me a proper orchestra or something like that.

The synth stuff was not to keep in times but due to lack of support from orchestra he had to resort to synth stuff.

As for rehashed tunes and stuff...i feel that it is not that IR has lost his magic...its just that he is not inspired by the situations given to him...if you notice carefully his BGM has been more class for films due to their screenplay but the situations given to him are always the same and add to that directors not willing to reject the tune.

IR's magic is still there...only thing is who is willing to inspire him...if he was a 10 year MD we can feel angry but for someone who has given more than 7000 songs and has repeatedly mentioned his interest in non-filmi albums....only a director like kamal can inspire him with his thought provoking and differently styled films...thats why the vintage music...the rest just give him films to fill up the music rather than extract....i prefer if IR just sticks to non-filmi albums...we want him to prove his musical prowess to the world...filmi-music has been alrdy achieved :D

vigneshram
20th April 2007, 11:57 AM
I agree with you Hulkster.
But the point is, if he is not impressed by the storyline a tamil direct narrates, he can very well opt out of it, rather than giving a mediocre album and stay with non-filmi projects.

It was a disappointment for me, when I listened to "Oru naal oru kanavu" and "Adhu oru kanaa kaalam". Except for a few great and bright songs, all others were pedestrian.
That's what I observe with Raja nowadays, his hit rate in a particular album has come down to one song per album.
When u say "Pithaamagan" people remember only "Ilangaathu", for Virumaandi only "Unna vida".

I really admire you Mr.Hulkster, you have attained a stage where you are able to digest the facts very well and you optimistically admire his orchestration and interludes alone, even from a mediocre album like 'Ajantha'

I think, knowing the capability and the genius, I expect more from him. That's the problem.

selvakumar
20th April 2007, 05:02 PM
I really admire you Mr.Hulkster, you have attained a stage where you are able to digest the facts very well and you optimistically admire his orchestration and interludes alone, even from a mediocre album like 'Ajantha'
:lol:

I think, knowing the capability and the genius, I expect more from him. That's the problem
Well said :thumbsup: There is nothing wrong in accepting the facts.

Hulk,
FYI, The Hindu reviewer is a IR fan ( S.R.ASHOK KUMAR ) He rarely reviews movies in Hindu. Usually it is Malathi RangaRajan. :)

raja_fan
20th April 2007, 05:35 PM
Malathi RangaRajan also has good respect for IR..but she would have more neutral than this guy.

But who knows..? may be IR was a relief for those who watched the movie :)

selvakumar
20th April 2007, 07:56 PM
Malathi RangaRajan also has good respect for IR..but she would have more neutral than this guy.

But who knows..? may be IR was a relief for those who watched the movie :)

AFAIK, She puts her points in a subtle manner if not in a strong way. But she has more or less become 2 * Indiaglitz nowadays. She never highlights even the obvious negatives present in the movie.

Nowadays, it is tough to judge anything based on reviews from sites unless we hear / see a particular thing.

btw, raja_fan - Have u seen this movie ? Your opinion on this. :)

raja_fan
20th April 2007, 09:23 PM
Selvakumar,

I have not watched the movie even though I was eagerly planning to do so.

Now the reviews so far are not encouraging me to go to the theatre. I will wait for Sun TV "Ulaga tholai kaatchigalil mudhan muriyaga..Thiraikku vandhu sila maadhangale aana.." :)

Saw MK songs in TV. Disappointing visuals :(
Cheran should limit him with village subjects in my humble opinion..

Sanjeevi
21st April 2007, 12:26 AM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/REVIEW/2007/mayakkannadi.asp

Ithu maathiri IR pathi kevalamana vimarsanam naan padichathillai

:hammer:

raja_fan
21st April 2007, 07:35 AM
Sanjeevi,

The comment was very bitter, but true :)

Hulkster
21st April 2007, 07:59 AM
Yeaps mr Vignesh...i guess IR chooses the script based on BGM rather than the songs i suppose...even post-anumanaspadam he had mentioned in a interview that the film was chosen because of the great scope of re-recording...so i guess this is how IR chooses his movies....:D

Those interludes and orchestration is what made me an IR fan rather than the tune...i remember listening to anandha raagam..the tune did not impress me but when i listened to the music in the ludes i got attracted and from then on i always searched for his songs where there would be such instances....i guess i would call myself a fan of orchestration and music rather than the tunes :D

MumbaiRamki
21st April 2007, 11:02 AM
My take on ajanta and IR's current music

http://mumbairamki.wordpress.com/2007/04/21/ajanta-md-raaja/

http://mumbairamki.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/maaya-rasigargal/

raja_fan
21st April 2007, 11:59 AM
Hulkster and Vignesh,

IR does not choose films based on songs or BGM.

He chooses based on the producer/director's devotion towards him.

Yaaraavadhu "Ungalai pol oruvar undaa indha ulagil" endru sonnaal podhum. Namma raajaavukku uchi kulirndhu vidum. Udane harmonium petti meedhu viralgalai vaippaar. Mudhal tune vaasippaar. Director-um mandayai nandraaga aatuvaar. Adhe tune nammai vandhu adaiyum. Naam inge paithiyam pidithu adithu kolvom. :)

Then padam ready aagum..Director petti koduppaar "Raja padathai paarthu vittu ennai katti pidithu mutham koduthaar" endru.

Idhai pola evvalavu padangal kadandha 5 varudangalil..

Ippadi usuppethi usuppethiye udambai rana galamaakkittaangappa :D

vigneshram
21st April 2007, 12:19 PM
I guess what raja_fan says is right.

Only when there is no gap or inhibition between the director and MD, the director can interact and get the best out of MD.

In case of Raja, considering his age and accomplishments, the new filmmakers are scared to reject the tunes he come up with.
The first tune that comes up in his mind is the chosen one.
Only directors like Bala have the guts to ask him for alternative tunes.

Remember the Haneefa's character (arrogant MD) in the movie "Mugavari"? It must have been conceived keeping IR in mind.

So,we have to wait till he works again with BR (possibly Kutraparambarai) and MR.

Sanjeevi
21st April 2007, 02:20 PM
At this time, i want to remember one incident. For Veera, our IR gave lot of tunes (guess more than 50 tunes) and Rajni has selected what he wanted. Thats why Veera was huge hit.

Like IR said in his recent Kumudam interview, now he is in out of current world ("Naan ungala mathiri illa, naan veru oru ulagathula natha ulagathula iruken" :idontgetit: ayyo yaaravathu avara intha world kondu vangalaen :goodidea:). He don't know current trend, current fan's taste. So, film directors, you have to alert when getting music from IR and the music should satisfy people

Nakeeran
21st April 2007, 03:31 PM
If IR changes his style ( to the trend set by ARR which is current ) then everyone will criticise him saying that he is trying to follow ARR !

I dont think audience are interested in folk -western compos like those of the 80s and up to mid 90s. The trend has changed to fusion & 100% western.

IR's speciality and forte is his orchestration , more than the tune for a song. Here he became a champion in the 80s.

Wish, IR continues to focus on orchestration part . Even 4 or 5 movies in a year is fine ( means 1 movie per quarter )

Seivaaraaa avar ??

raja_fan
21st April 2007, 03:34 PM
No. We do not want IR to know current trend, taste etc..

We want just the old Raja, not a new one.

But as Vignesh has put it, we can expect that from Kutraparamparai. Because there will be pressure on both IR and BR to prove their combination again..
More on BR to extract good stuff from IR because it is his dream project.

Hulkster
21st April 2007, 04:35 PM
IR's speciality and forte is his orchestration , more than the tune for a song. Here he became a champion in the 80s.

Wish, IR continues to focus on orchestration part . Even 4 or 5 movies in a year is fine ( means 1 movie per quarter )

Seivaaraaa avar ??

:exactly:...that is how i became a fan...his orchestration always made me wonder...a indian musician with the ability to produce counterpoints ard 5 to 8...and ever since then i would just watch how he would make his music talk..sure tunes do form a integral part of film music...but when you talk about IR his only interest is to expose to the world the forms of music and how it can be woven to be related to even a single human emotion...you see his non-filmi albums and they dunt have tunes like other non-filmi albums...they are just 100% pure music..and if you see from that view all his albums barring some koothu numbers always have his trademark orchestration :D

MrJudge
21st April 2007, 05:16 PM
Hulkster,

I think most IR fans love his songs mostly for his orchestration, that is a open secret. Because when Vairamuthu left him, he had to settle with mediocre lyrics, do you think people cared for stupid lyrics? Not even a bit, he carried his dream-run just by his cheer music.

After listening to his innumerous complicated yet enjoyable live orchestra compostions, it is difficult for us to settle with hollow-synth stuff nowadays he has been using, that is our complaint. Hope IR realises this and goes back to his roots. In the current scenario, only IR can set another trend by going back to live orchestra and using it differently.

Hulkster
21st April 2007, 05:45 PM
The synth stuff was abolished in ajantha i thought...the songs were all reeking of orchestra magic especially thoorigai...the first and second interludes have some wonderful counterpoints :P

raja_fan
21st April 2007, 07:18 PM
Any site with full Ajanta songs ?

rooky
22nd April 2007, 01:40 AM
Looks like one more hit movie for IR in malayalam..

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/article/30672.html

K
22nd April 2007, 06:06 PM

onlinetamilmp3.com . please listen carefully to Konjam Konjam, Ulagiley Azhagi and oru Mayalogam carefully in good music systemand then comment about the Orchestratrion there are some amazing pieces

Hulkster
23rd April 2007, 06:46 AM
http://tamilvibration.dk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=56

Username is kolaikaran
Password is bloody

Enjoy the songs guys :D

K
23rd April 2007, 10:17 AM

onlinetamilmp3.com

ananth222
23rd April 2007, 11:04 AM
Thanx Hulkster!

Just heard good quality Ajanta songs in good headphones, the album is AMAZING! IR magic is back in the orchestration. "Thoorigai indri" and "yaarum thodaatha" are stunning. all songs are great (not considering "kaiyil keyboard' and "poduda" as songs!). Only complaint is IR's voice sounds a bit old and strained in "yaarum thodaatha". (btw anyone think the coughing at the end of "enge irunthai" KJY version is actually IR?)

raja_fan
23rd April 2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Hulkster.

Three songs are good..but what use..the movie should win to lift up the songs..

irir123
23rd April 2007, 09:07 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070419/sc_space/sunsatmospheresings

Proof of MUSIC IN OUTERSPACE - read on

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070419/sc_space/sunsatmospheresings

This is incredible! - sound is at the core and the essence of all of creation!

rooky
23rd April 2007, 11:12 PM
Todays RAJ TV super 10 songs listed mayakannadi at 1,paruthiveeran at 2.

Actually, if you look at the 10 latest songs listed there, "Ulagilae" indeed deserved to be there :)

app_engine
24th April 2007, 01:58 AM
http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=14435558

vinOdha yAthra termed success...the songs may get some more airtime...at least a couple of them deserved praises...

Sanjeevi
24th April 2007, 01:44 PM
[tscii:f02a11a48d]Sometimes i read our neighbourhood forums. When reading kannadiga's forum, I found a review of Ajantha

http://viggy.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3982

Yes, it should be some crash film! Totally unknown to everyone! I don’t know the hero, heroine… I can see the names of Tamilians for director, producer… So this could be the kind of film that just comes & goes without any willing intensions. OR it could be a straight rip-off from Tamil or other language film.

But my interest in this album lies on something else! Because, it is the work of a highly-skilled and tremendously-professional individual who doesn’t take anything casually! Just look at the way he sings a Kannada song and look at his pronunciation, enunciation, boldness, confidence, crispness & elegance… Something that any singer (irrespective of whether a local or an outsider) can learn from! This was the intention behind my anguish all these days. Kannadigas forgetting the basics of what’s required to their language…! Look at how this great-man gives importance to the language that he can apprehend… Just deciding to “sing” itself is a testimony to his “seriousness”. That’s why Kannadigas can still remember all the great songs that he rendered to Kannada at various instances, though the “quantity” is limited!!!

“Elli iruve svarave…” (9.4) just goes to show the confidence while composing… The strong foundation in “tune” inspires the rest. The subtle variation in drum beats and violin patterns goes to show what a superior talent he was all these years! His quality has not eroded even now! A single tune has the depth to adjust various moods. Drums to Tabla, Saxophone to Olaga variations just goes to show that “Music” is universal (and everything else is unified on this earth!)

“Bannavu kunchavu…” (9.3) is another perfect song with everyone (composer, lyricist, singer) complementing each other. The singer is brilliant and the alert instrumentals harmonize the voice perfectly. The usage of flute and high-bass violin is just perfect.

“Yaaroo illadha…” (9) is a superb duet which stands way apart from the usual tunes which we see around! The singers again look outstanding (forget their origin!) Somehow this magician can extract the best out of any singers given to him! Instrumentation is again of high-caliber! Guitar (of all frequencies) play an important role. Good lyrics to go with it.

“Kaigalali keyboardu…” (6.8) should be a song trying to match the sequence in a film (rather than other way round). Hence the “forcing” lyrics may overshadow everything and hence the dip in its impression. But you cannot miss out the variations.

“Oh ho yavvana…” (7.8) is a soft song and again you can enjoy the variations in instrumentation. The capability of exploring too many things at a given point, and yet come up with outstandingly unique stuffs all time, amuses like anything! The changeover from “Western” to “Indian Classical” happens so spontaneously, as if there was no such “difference” existent!

“Nannolage yaaro bandha…” (7.9) is a typical Ilayaraja brand song! How many such he gave us in the past, but yet each one of it had its “unique flavor”! Though he is not at his peak right now, you cannot miss out his charm!

“Haaku baa…” (5.8) Not sure about the intention. The lyrics is so carefully written! Looking at the outlook of the songs (I know nothing about this film or its story), I guess a bunch of people (maybe both Hero & Heroine) want to run a Music or/and Dance group! So I don’t think this album or film can be neglected, at least for these songs!

Kalyan (though intentionally tries to play second fiddle to the music without too much experimentation and just trying to match up with tunes) has done a decent job at that. The singers have done a neat job.

The album gets 8.5 (More than Good)

PS: Due to unavoidable circumstances and personal reasons, this maybe my last F.I.R on this forum! Thanks for all the support. Hope I conveyed my feelings & intentions. And I hope I was honest in these reviews. And good that I got a decent album (at least for me) to end up!!! Last thing: I’m not a hater of anything from anywhere, regardless of whether it is good or bad. It is just my intensity to dig-out best.

[/tscii:f02a11a48d]

BTW the reviewer HiFi blindly opposes Tamils and related things. But surprisingly he has great respect our IR and reviewed Ajantha songs very well.

rajasaranam
24th April 2007, 03:34 PM
listen to the Ajantha album here in Kannada:
http://kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Moviewise/home/Ajanthaa.php

rooky
24th April 2007, 10:49 PM
http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=14435558

vinOdha yAthra termed success...the songs may get some more airtime...at least a couple of them deserved praises...

This is the reason why he is churning out good numbers in malayalam.From what i gather,This sathyan makes family oriented movies and hardly any of them fail at the BO.He makes about two movies per year and IR is the default MD(atleast in the last 5 years i know).so, IR has a director in malayalam who has a good success rate.cos of this combo, he will obviously be more involved there.

But in telugu and tamil, he doesn't have a combo with a director who could give atleast one hit per year consistantly.This could be a good reason for him not inspired in giving good numbers.

raja_fan
25th April 2007, 07:44 AM
Rooky,

If that is the case, why pretty decent tunes for Ajantha ?

Once in Ananda Vikatan, they compared IR to natural rain. It will pour heavily some times, just a drizzle some times, gather cloud but fail to pour sometimes etc..We do not know what will happen when.. I think that is true with IR !

But the sad part is usually it pours well at unwanted times and goes unnoticed :(

Sanjeevi
25th April 2007, 09:21 PM
my review on Ajantha

http://www.thuligal.com/index.php/ajantha/

Sanjeevi
26th April 2007, 12:15 PM
Ilayaraja creates history

http://ia.rediff.com/movies/2007/apr/25ssajan.htm

MumbaiRamki
26th April 2007, 12:24 PM
" the fillup music came middle of pallavi melts me."

Sanjeevi -exactly !! Nice review !

rockydeva
26th April 2007, 05:16 PM
IR is a living LEGEND

kameshratnam
26th April 2007, 06:45 PM
Are ajantha songs so good?

MumbaiRamki
26th April 2007, 07:32 PM
kamesh rathnam ,
better to check out yourselves :)
as sanjeevi has mentioned in his blog and as i have in mine ,One very bad song ,one averegae song ,one good-bad song and four good songs ...But its vintage raaja !

nickraman
27th April 2007, 06:03 AM
I just got the CD. Words cannot describe how musically talented Raja is. Right from his debut days till now, what a Raaja he is. These songs further prove that he's still the MAESTRO of music!

Kaasu Kayil is undoubtedly the addictive song (give or take a few more listenings, it grows on you, trust me!) Maestro's rustic vocals add more sweetness to the song and it's really a good hear. Ditto goes to Kadhal Indru.

Konjam is also another feather in the cap for Raaja sir. Karthik and Shreya Goshal do full justice to their songs. Dunno if anyone has noticed, but the tune seems to be taken from an SPB song in the lines of "Konji Koni Pesaadhi Solla kellalumaa...." Not sure what film its from, but that's the silver lining of it. Still, very good song.

Mayalogom goes back from his 90s and inspired tune from an old movie and shades of Kaadhalilukku Mariyadhai. Tippu's voice is great and newcomer Ranjitha is good too.

Finally comes Ullathey by Yesudas. Paatu Super! Listen it for Yesudas and instrumental.

MayaKannadi takes time to sink in. Like ARR's Guru took time to sink it but post film release, the songs grew on me. Similarly, Maestro's songs take time to grow on you. Repeated hearings are a must. Hats off to you Raaja sir. Looking forward to your next album, "Cheeni Kum" in hindi!

raja_fan
27th April 2007, 07:03 AM
Nickraman,

:) Romba late !
People have discussed and forgot MayaKannadi here and now discussing Ajanta..

K
27th April 2007, 01:11 PM
Nickraman,

:) Romba late !
People have discussed and forgot MayaKannadi here and now discussing Ajanta..

mayakannadai 10varusham munaadi vantha padam illa sir Tv channels are airing the songs now only so we can discuss. Listen to Konjam konjam and Ulagile azhagi once again in good music system and write ur comments

raja_fan
27th April 2007, 01:46 PM
K,

I did not object to any discussion..Just I was kidding that just when people were done with all fights on MK and reviews, this guy is late in his review..

No hard feelings.

K
27th April 2007, 09:52 PM
thank U RaJa_Fan

app_engine
1st May 2007, 01:38 AM
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/04/27/stories/2007042700170300.htm

sooryan (MalayALam) album may be the next one to come out...

vanavil
2nd May 2007, 01:59 PM
Today's DC carried an article on Chenni Kum. It seems Balki is going to direct a new movie called 'Pa' with Big B and Abhishek playing Father-Son roles. Will Ilayaraja score music for this movie? One more movie for IR in Hindi??

krish244
2nd May 2007, 02:49 PM
Today's DC carried an article on Chenni Kum. It seems Balki is going to direct a new movie called 'Pa' with Big B and Abhishek playing Father-Son roles. Will Ilayaraja score music for this movie? One more movie for IR in Hindi??

I will be glad if it is by IR, but my strong feeling is that it will not have music by IR.

BTW, there is no news about CHEENI KUM audio. Any updates about the audio release?

thanks,

Krishnan

vanavil
2nd May 2007, 03:41 PM
Chenni Kum is releasing on 25th May. Audio is still not out, I guess.. Will there be enough time for the songs to reach the masses?? (According to Balki, movie has excellent melodies) One more IR effort in Hindi going waste??

raja_fan
2nd May 2007, 05:12 PM
This time, less probability that it will be a waste. Because atleast for Amitabh, people will see the film..but still not sure if the hindi audience will still appreciate the music..

Hulkster
2nd May 2007, 07:58 PM
Hearing the songs hmm...one romantic and one sad version of mandram vantha thendralakku....kuzhal oothum kannanukku remixed in a hip fashion and jote jote joteyaali from kannada film geetha sounds abit modernised..its just samples with no prelude or anything...guess have to wait for the audio to come..:D

rajasaranam
2nd May 2007, 09:10 PM
Listen to the songs here dudes Raaja is ROCKING

http://www.cheenikum.com/

The Website Says:

"Possibly the greatest composer Indian cinema has ever produced. Ilaiyaraaja has composed music for over 850 films, most of it for south Indian films. His tunes have been merrily, freely adapted by many of Bollywood's original musicians. Today, this 64 year old genius is as fresh, as brilliant and as enthusiastic composing score for his first major original Hindi film. Only because he liked the script."

app_engine
2nd May 2007, 10:14 PM
The samples are sweet to us, no doubt...it's not surprising because all the tunes are already embedded into our minds, hearts...

There'll be very few DF'ers who are not familiar with mandRam vandha thendRalukku, kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku & vizhiyilE maNi vizhiyilE...

Having said that, I'm sceptical whether these will strike a chord with our northie friends:-( Hope they do...

I hate to be a naysayer, but for some reason, while I can listen to the current rhythm arrangements of Raja and even like them a bit, I'm not sure whether I'll ever "love" them...everything else is fine, but Raja's recent rhythm / percussion arrangements turn me off...Take the case of Ajantha also, the few seconds of "Asaya kAththula" beats in one of the interludes of an average song make me hate the rest of the whole album...("why can't Raja do such innovations any more"...)

I strongly suspect he "sub-contracts" the percussion / rhythm arrangements now...and that too a sub-par contractor:-(

raja_fan
2nd May 2007, 10:28 PM
The remix of "Jotheyali.." reminds us how IR's magic is timeless.

But as app_engine has put it, I really doubt the music sense of our dear northies :)
Anyways, I would have been happy if "Kuzhaloodhum.." had been avoided..

And the lyrics part seems to be poor. Sameer has struggled to put words for the south indian tunes..

app_engine
2nd May 2007, 11:17 PM
A number of songs that are continuously on my car have really lovable rhythm / percussion arrangements by Raja (oldies of course)...

-the drum twists when SPB sings 'nAn dhAn sakala kalA vallavan'

-the mild chord based rhythm for the pallavi of 'kodiyilE malligappoo' turning into a strong tabla-bass guitar-chords combo during interludes and saraNam

-the surprise "kick" drums that take off in the prelude of 'muththAdudhE, muththAdudhE' with electric organ sounds, creating great ambience, after a lacklusture jass drum beginning

...I can keep talking like this...why there's nothing like that but what sounds a programmed, unimpressive beat pattern...as in the case of 'cheeni kum'? In comparison, even the original mandRam vandha had lovely jass drums...

I yearn for another Raja score with powerful thavil, urumi, tabla, mridhangam and such sounds, recorded at really high decibels - even eclipsing other instruments...something like the beginning of 'adiyE manam nillunnA nikkAdhadi' or 'pOdu thandhAnaththam' (a relatively less known song from nalla nAL)

Sanjeevi
3rd May 2007, 01:00 AM
Manram vantha :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kuzhaloothum kannanukku :thumbsup:
Vizhiyilae :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, only 3 songs? any other fresh score??

What is the diff between Cheeni kum song and Sooni Sooni song :roll:

Sanjeevi
3rd May 2007, 01:39 AM
Interesting trailer and interesing info "Amitabh bachchan has sung under IR"

krish244
3rd May 2007, 11:29 AM
Only four songs? Long back I had posted a link of Sudesh Bhosle interview wherein he says he has sung for IR in Cheeni kum, but that song does not seem to feature in the list of songs. Also remember reading somewhere that Madhushree has sung a song in this movie.

I wish the samples had atleast a little of the interlude. Only "Jaane" has a glimpse of the first interlude...that too strictly a glimpse.

Shreya Ghosal has done justice to all the tunes I should say. Vijay Prakash (is it the composer?) has sung in this album and also has sung in the kannada version of Ajanta. Good effort I should say. Listen to the strings backup when he sings the pallavi at the end.

Despite a little of synth stuff, there are lots of strings usage, so I am eager to listen to the complete album. Also eager to listen to Amitabh singing for IR. He has done a great job in Rozana for Vishal.

thanks,

Krishnan

inetk
3rd May 2007, 05:10 PM
Has 7 tracks in the CD. 4 full songs, Baatein hawa is repeated with mild variation and there are 2 instrumentals - a theme and a sax melody. No Sudesh Bhosle. Amitabh doesn't sing much, more like speaking.

Audio due shortly. My info is from an insider, so don't go around looking for the CD today:-)

raja_fan
3rd May 2007, 06:37 PM
But whether people in Bollywood look forward for Audio releases as we do in the south for example Rajini movies etc ?

Here in the south we have big release functions for even junks :)

inetk
4th May 2007, 06:35 AM
For this album, it will not be much, but for AB's presence. Bollywod has much bigger music launches but audience looking forward to them happens quite occasionally - depends on the number of lead stars, composer's last hit etc.

The last big bash - audience hype I recall was for The Train (tremendous excitement, at least online!) and Adnan's latest, Kisi din. Himesh's Aap kaa surroor also had a frenzied group waiting!

irir123
4th May 2007, 07:26 AM
what bugs me real bad is a lesser mortal like AB's image likely to be usurping that of a genius (IR)!

raja_fan
4th May 2007, 08:53 AM
irir123,

We can't help it. It happens every where in every field. That is the magic of on screen appearance and the stupidity of people.
How many people know about greater mortals like scientists than lesser mortals like Nameethaa, Asin etc ? :wink:

krish244
4th May 2007, 11:30 AM
Has 7 tracks in the CD. 4 full songs, Baatein hawa is repeated with mild variation and there are 2 instrumentals - a theme and a sax melody. No Sudesh Bhosle. Amitabh doesn't sing much, more like speaking.

Audio due shortly. My info is from an insider, so don't go around looking for the CD today:-)

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2006/oct/04sudesh.htm

Sudesh bhosle says:

"I must say I have been extraordinarily lucky that I could sing for composer Ilayaraja. He is one of our most esteemed composers. He is the composer for Chini Kam starring Amitabhji and Tabu."

Somehow I missed to see that he might have made three different statements (sentences). He probably did not sing in "Cheeni Kum"

thanks,

Krishnan

kameshratnam
4th May 2007, 04:45 PM
IR should not be remaking his songs always. It does not speak high volumes of him.

Mayakannadi and Ajantha were not that great..

I am still trying to find out whats great abt ajantha..

Hulkster
4th May 2007, 05:24 PM
IR should not be remaking his songs always. It does not speak high volumes of him.

Mayakannadi and Ajantha were not that great..

I am still trying to find out whats great abt ajantha..

This remake is due to request from the director...its better to remake rather than present songs like dheemi dheemi and go unnoticed :exactly:

The great thing about ajantha is what every IR fan would love..his wonderful orchestration and WCM used...:D

venkiks
4th May 2007, 05:35 PM
Ajantha absolutely is one of the best albums of IR in the recent years.
The best thing I liked about the ablum is the variety.
The best of the album is Thoorigai indri and Ilamai..

krish244
4th May 2007, 06:01 PM
Stumbled upon this link which says Geethanjali/Idhayathai Thirudadhe is getting dubbed into Hindi as "Love for Ek duje ke liye" and due for release in June 2007. I think, remade version of IT was a flop in Hindi.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=15677

Quoting relevant content:

"After the release of several mass appeal,action packed entertainers like Diler, Bajrang, Mard, Laawaris, Loha, Goondaraaj, Rakhwala, Mission Vande Mataram, Nagina and Ghatak, Sajid Qureshi has now taken pains to bring the Mani Ratnam classic Telugu-Tamil blockbuster Geetanjali, starring Nagarjuna and Girija in Hindi, titled Love For Ek Duje Ke Liye. This National Award winner has the melodious songs from maestro Ilayaraja and is all set for release during June 2007. Large-scale publicity is being planned with the films designs currently being scrutinized to give the best ever exposure of a Mani Ratnam film till date. Even the promos of the film will be given a master touch that only a master director like Mani Ratnam deserves and all this planning is being single-handedly conceived by the producer himself who has been tirelessly producing Hindi dubbed ventures from the cream of South makers of late. Many distributors are making a beeline at his office to have a dekko at the promos and other publicities of his next fifteen films."

Anyway, IR usually does not get involved in the songs recording of dubbed movies.

I dont understand why least importance is given to the title of a dubbed movie. From the title itself one can make out that its a dubbed movie. This happens to a dubbed movie from any language to any language. Unimaginative are those which are getting dubbed within India. Hilarious are those when chinese movies gets dubbed into Indian languages :) I just cannot stop laughing when I see a chinese movie in tamil (Vijay TV), be it title, dialogues or fight scenes. Sorry for getting a little out of topic here.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
4th May 2007, 07:52 PM
I know copied version of Oh priya priya song by Anand Milinid was big hit in Hindi

When i was in Delhi, i heard the same at some places

inetk
4th May 2007, 10:34 PM
The soundtrack is out now. 100 words.

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2007/05/04/cheeni-kum-hindi-ilayaraja/

app_engine
5th May 2007, 12:15 AM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2007-05-09/pg10.php

ஆமா, இது திட்டலா, புகழலா? குழப்பக்குமுதம் (MK விமர்சனம்)...

app_engine
5th May 2007, 12:49 AM
http://ww.smashits.com/video/zoomin/item7363/press-meet-of-movie-cheeni-kum.html

...music is melodious, says the producer...what about the audience?...let's wait and see...(we know it's nice...yet...)

Hulkster
5th May 2007, 02:21 PM
Thalaivar is back with amazing rework of his orchestration and two instrumentals showcasing his understanding of what theme music really means.

http://sevenmountain.blogspot.com/2007/05/cheeni-kum-audio-review.html

Listen to the songs at

www.123musiq.com/CheeniKum.htm

kj
5th May 2007, 04:08 PM
its a good album..no doubt about it....for a change rajas synth sound is not irritating...it seems to me he has gone for synth and real stuff..depending on songs.and interludes.(only as far as bass and percussion are concerned..although.im not sure about the bass part)..overall a good album by any standards(old raja new raja hindi audience tamil audience hard core ir fan standards and..Im quite sure even Vijayr would not feel too negative about this album..although it might be a huge surprise if he says anything positive about it.). I also have a gut feeling it might end up being a popular album even in the north.

inetk
5th May 2007, 06:25 PM
That Sax melody....sounds very familiar. Any idea if thats part of an existing Raja tune?

kj
5th May 2007, 06:34 PM
i was wondering the same.until I realised maybe it was because it appears as a background in the trailers..which came out a few months ago..it was so catchy that i noticed it in trailer.

kj
5th May 2007, 06:43 PM
it could also be because it is somewhat similar(in a remote way) to the sax bit in one of the interludes of solla solla..song from ellam inba mayam.

rooky
5th May 2007, 06:46 PM
wonderful album!

Though all the tracks are v.v good ones, Liked the Theme melody a lot :)

rooky
5th May 2007, 06:58 PM
Vinodayatra songs doing good

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/malayalam/article/30969.html

Saw this song on TV too.The picturisation is good and gells well with the song

Sanjeevi
5th May 2007, 11:05 PM
hi i couldn't get the album in Chennai :sad:

saw Cheeni kum trailer and a song in Top 20 at Zoom TV as new arrival

hi any fresh tune?

irir123
6th May 2007, 12:05 AM
IR has simply went beserk and stuffed the album with RICH RICH orchestral ornamentations!! perhaps that will be toooo much for people across the Vindhyas ? whatever be the case, am itching to get the CD!

the second interlude of "baatein hawa" has a stunning racy, rock piece followed by an equally stunning jazzy piece! IR rocks!

"Jaane donaa" has a terrific piano opening! which is taken over by a short strings section and then again the piano! WOW! what a beautiful version/adaptation of the original - the 1st interlude is SWEET and again the strings are mind-blowing! and the tune would/should be absolutely appealing even for Northies! Shreya's voice is as usual is magical!

"sooni sooni" - who is this Vijay Prakash ? is he the same guy who rendered "pon maney kobam" in "Oru kaidhiyin dairy" ? - in the 1st interlude IR works an amazing theme - and the rhythm is more subdued! why do the strings sound different in this album (like in "andha naal gyabagam" from a recent Balu Mahendra's film) ? are they from natural violin ensemble, or synth stuff (are the bass lines synth/keyboard stuff too?) - IMHO, for the Hindi version of the immortal "mandram vandha", I would have preferred if IR retained the rhythm/percussion portions of the interludes and the stanzas

the firt theme melody is vintage IR - piano-based - and a 'hip,hip,hooray' strings section - the 1st interlude: keys play the 'cheeni kum' motif and then the piano comes back to the main theme - for a long time, we are gonna be dissecting/discussing the counterpoints, chords styles used in this piece..

Ha - the last sax piece - touche - IR takes a jazzy bow! oh boy, I do know that tune - but am not able to figure which piece it is from!

overall, sumptously rich in harmony, piano and strings! let us wait and see the verdict from the listeners to this Paul Mauriatish-Henry Mancinish album from IR

but for HCIRFs - GRAB THIS ALBUM!

baroque
6th May 2007, 10:36 AM
Hey guys, that sax theme tune is 'ilamai idho idho...' :D love, Vinatha

rajasaranam
6th May 2007, 12:53 PM
Yo guys Thats 'En iniya Pon nilave' :wink:

krish244
6th May 2007, 03:37 PM
"sooni sooni" - who is this Vijay Prakash ? is he the same guy who rendered "pon maney kobam" in "Oru kaidhiyin dairy"

"pon maane" is sung by Unni menon! (I guess its his first song for IR)

thanks,

Krishnan

raaja_rasigan
6th May 2007, 05:00 PM
"sooni sooni" - who is this Vijay Prakash ? is he the same guy who rendered "pon maney kobam" in "Oru kaidhiyin dairy"

thanks,

Krishnan

his first song in tamil itself

rajasaranam
6th May 2007, 10:03 PM
While the music is worldclass the Lyrics are pedestrian. Sameer who has spoilt the classy tunes is not fit to be lyricist at all :x When he doesnt know to fill up the tune he starts asking 'Kyun kyun kyun'
If possible I would in turn ask Balki "Ise KYUN chuna gaane likne" :(
Lyrics are the only spoiltsport in this otherwise class album.
For better MP3 versions
Go here:
http://share.up1file.com/download/StqVLhXtGc
http://share.up1file.com/download/cQhfXpJw9M
http://share.up1file.com/download/5fs7bj9T3S
http://share.up1file.com/download/cYjUWc2FNh
http://share.up1file.com/download/ROsvwwZVhq
http://share.up1file.com/download/RRyemP6uPL
http://share.up1file.com/download/03Msnch0aZ

inetk
6th May 2007, 11:24 PM
Rajasaranam:
While I agree that the lyrics does sound odd, when was the last time you heard meaningful and appropriately worded lyrics for a Tamil song re-tuned in Hindi?

Most of PK Mishra's lyrics were far more atrocious in Rahman's earlier reworkings in Hindi. One rare exception for IR, I remember, is 'Naina' from Aur Ek Prem Kahani, but the rest of the songs were quite funny.

I believe its also to do with our personal association with the originals - it may be rather difficult to let go of the source words even after listening to the Hindi version many times over. After all, for most of us, the source tracks were an integral part of our lives!

irir123
7th May 2007, 04:55 AM
any reviews on CK anywhere ?

raja_fan
7th May 2007, 09:24 AM
"
"

Unni Menon was introduced as Vijay by IR in tamil. He was not given chance again and then re-emerged in Roja.

gopiharan
7th May 2007, 09:36 AM
RS, thanks for the links!
songs are excellent....quality of the recording is great & even better than his recent hindi ventures!
choice of the singers is superb.....
I am still wondering how hindi audience are going to treat this album :(

raja_fan
7th May 2007, 11:43 AM
Poor Sameer ! He has to take blame for the struggling lyrics :)

I would rather blame Balki for selecting very southie tune like "Kuzhaloodhum..". How many Hindi to tamil songs did we like for lyrics ? very few..

Balki could have selected some ghazal like compositions from IR's earlier tamil films..IMHO

inetk
7th May 2007, 12:09 PM
irir123:
You mean the one besides my 'breaking-news' review at,
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2007/05/04/cheeni-kum-hindi-ilayaraja/

:-) But seriously, I look forward to reviews from people who are not familiar with the originals, like Joginder Tuteja of IndiaFM. That should ideally be an unbiased reaction to these delightful re-workings.

kameshratnam
7th May 2007, 12:18 PM
The two themes are great in cheeni kum but the songs again..IR should refuse offers

Sanjeevi
7th May 2007, 03:48 PM
Poor Sameer ! He has to take blame for the struggling lyrics :)

I would rather blame Balki for selecting very southie tune like "Kuzhaloodhum..". How many Hindi to tamil songs did we like for lyrics ? very few..

Balki could have selected some ghazal like compositions from IR's earlier tamil films..IMHO

Remember hindi version of "Konda Seval Koovum" (MD: Baghyaraj?)song which was hit

raja_fan
7th May 2007, 04:45 PM
that song was by Shankar Ganesh.

raja_fan
7th May 2007, 04:46 PM
that song was by Shankar Ganesh.

Sanjeevi
7th May 2007, 04:48 PM
my Cheeni Kum album review

http://www.thuligal.com/index.php/cheeni-kum-audio

dochu
7th May 2007, 05:34 PM
I don't mean to dampen the enthu here. Could it be possible that KR had lent a hand for CK?

Though the rehash has novelities, as a tamilian and also a one who is 'still' expecting good songs from IR, this one disappointed me; because-

has the 'well' gone dry? why rehash? if so much innovativeness is there, couldn't he think of new tunes?

--
dochu

Sanjeevi
7th May 2007, 05:40 PM
I don't mean to dampen the enthu here. Could it be possible that KR had lent a hand for CK?

Though the rehash has novelities, as a tamilian and also a one who is 'still' expecting good songs from IR, this one disappointed me; because-

has the 'well' gone dry? why rehash? if so much innovativeness is there, couldn't he think of new tunes?

--
dochu

It is director wish.

director adam pidichu intha songs vangi irukkirar :wink: 8-)

krish244
7th May 2007, 07:10 PM
My thoughts (after listening to 48kpbs wma format...but in Bose in-ear phones):

1. Cheeni Kum: A memorable tune gets nicely adapted here. A notable change being Shreya ending the charanams in a lower note unlike the original. First interlude is just breezy keeping intact the happy mood.

2. Sooni Sooni: "Cheeni kum" tune is repeated in a sad version. I just love the way IR starts the 1st interlude a little in advance (when Vijay repeats the pallavi) and then beautifully transforms into a great tune played by the strings section. Vijay Prakash has done a pretty neat job.

3. Baatein: A sweet tune. Again IR does magic in first interlude where he effortlessly blends from a symphonic kind of music to a soothing strings section and then to a nice flute melody. 2nd interlude is innovative with a nice piano finish, keeping in mind the picturisation.

4. Jaane Do: A mesmerising tune gets an apt piano melody as a prelude. Beats are interspersed with guitar bits. Interludes are nicely modernised, but certainly not as grand as the original. I liked the tune played by the strings section in the 2nd interlude and the way the interlude comes to a halt...Very Good! The best part of this song is the tune itself...no words to describe.

5. Theme melody: I guess this will be played at the start of the movie, because it certainly prepares you for the theme of the movie. I observed the theme music taking a turn at 2:43.

6. Sax Melody: Yes, the sax sounds a bit like IR's 80's style tunes/familiar, especially between 00:36 and 00:52 and also in between 01:27 and 02:01, but I am just not able to exactly recollect. Liked the way IR ends the sax bit in a playful manner. IR is a master in twisting/turning/bending/compressing/breaking (into parts) his old tunes that we almost do not notice an original, so I guess it will take us some time to find out. Nevertheless, a good sax melody which will be refreshingly different for hindi audiences. On the whole very good theme music pieces keeping in mind the movie's theme.

I would say Shreya Ghosal has done great justice to all the tunes. She was probably the best choice.

Although "Baatein" is a great/sweet tune, I dont know how hindi audiences will relate to it.

Otherwise I feel the melodies in this album certainly deserves to be noticed/appreciated and treasured. I hope more probing is done into the songs rather than just terming it as "different" and "good".

Even I am eager to read reviews from IndiaFM and similar sites.

Karthik (inetk), in your "Keywords" section of your review, "Cheeni Kum" is spelled as "Cheeni Km".

thanks,

Krishnan

Digression: I am really curious to see Sunidhi Chauhan singing a full length song under IR (I know she has sung for IR in MX)

inetk
7th May 2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks krish244!
Updated it!

NormalMan
8th May 2007, 01:45 AM
Enjoyed listening to the ablum. Couple of disappointments/frustrations,

1. The pauses the come in between charanams, pallavis, interludes. Very irritating.... inhibits the listening flow.

2. No strings at all ... why is he so fond of ignoring the strings.

app_engine
8th May 2007, 01:55 AM
Cheeni kum:

Sweet, stylish and polished songs...(trying to keep them upscale?)...

Still IMHO, nowhere near the originals in emotions:-) ...may be because I don't understand the bAshai...

என்னப்பா ஒரே ரீ அரேஞ்மெண்ட்டா இருக்கேன்னு ராசா அலுத்துக்கொண்டதாலோ என்னவோ ரெண்டு போனஸ் இன்ஸ்ட்ருமெண்டல் கொடுத்திருக்காங்க...மிக அழகாக செய்திருக்கிறார்...கொஞ்சம் நீண்டிருந்தால் "ஸ்மூத் ஜாஸ்" FM காரங்க கிட்ட கொடுத்து ஒலிபரப்பச்சொல்லி ட்ரை பண்ணலாம்:-) Both pieces are really classy and stylish...

Since one of the songs has two versions (sugam, sOgam), they should have avoided repeating bAtEin hawa being twice in the album (AB is just saying the same thing a few times...at least if he has sung, another version is worth being in the disk)...Somehow, I cannot understand the logic of two versions on the disk...enna marketingO...

About the songs:
Comparions with originals apart -which is incorrect IMHO and unfair, another thing that IR could've done better is the percussions...again IMHO. For some reason, I cannot enjoy the 'thusk, thusk' kind of sounds repeating lifelessly:-( dam dum tan tAn oNNumE kANOm...If you don't agree with me, please tell me which one is better - the percussion for the first saraNam of bAtEin or second saraNam? (Both are different FYI...tell me which one you prefer and then I'll tell mine...and mine is not difficult to guess BTW)...

NormalMan
8th May 2007, 02:31 AM
I think Vijay Prakash is the singer who rendered "Poo Vaasam Veesum Kanne..." from Anbe Sivam (in the CD). On screen it was butchered by Sriram Partasarathy's horrible voice.

nickraman
8th May 2007, 05:07 AM
"sooni sooni" - who is this Vijay Prakash ?

He sang for Raaja in Udhayon 2006 (Tamil dub of Shiva 2006) in place of Yesudas's "Josh Mein."

nickraman
8th May 2007, 06:26 AM
[tscii:b8659e56f0]Cheeni Kum is better than Shiva 2006!

As my love for Raja's Mayakannadi continues, I simpyl awaited his next hindi soundtrack, Cheeni Kum. Raja's last 2 outings, Mumbai Xpress and Shiva 2006 haven't been received very well. So is Cheeni kum an acid test for him? Yes. Does he succeed? Yes again. Because unlike Shiva situational numbers and classical background music (Saara yeh aalam paticuraly from Anandan Raagam) Raja goes synth style with these reused tunes of his to fit the Mumbai-tes!

Cheeni Kum (Shreya Goshal) starts off the album by being a tune from Mandram Vantha by SPB (Mouna Raagam,Tamil.) Goshal excells and Raja has changed the beat to a more happy melody compared to the sad original. Same goes for Sooni Sooni (Vijay Prakash) who sounds strikingly familiar to tamil cinema's Unni Krishan? Coincidence? I'll leave that up to you.

Baatein by Amitabh and Shreya is another melodious asset. Taken from Kuzhaloodhum kannanukku’ by Chitra in the original (Mella thirandhadhu kadhavu, Tamil) She and Amitji (who rather voices in the song) do justice to the track. Another feather in the cap for Raaja.

Jaane Do by Shreya again (Must be a Raaja favorite post Devdas!)Taken from Geetha's track "Jothi" Kannada, Shreya and the music sound like they were meant for each other. This is nothing but a must hear.

The last 2 tracks are bgm from the movie.

Overall, I'd say that in comparison to Raja's last with RGV, this albm sounds like a complete winner. Shiva had 1 peppy, 2 raagams, 1 situational and 1 sad melody. Whether as 4/5 tracks are fast paced and are retuned to fit todays standards, I strongly feel that Cheeni Kum is a winner for chartbusters. Go for it if you're a music lover!

Rating: ****1/2
[/tscii:b8659e56f0]

teja
8th May 2007, 12:07 PM
'Saxaphone melody' is astoundingly delightful, so is the rest of the album.
After many many years, IR came up with a 'Complete winner' - every track in this album can be termed as a masterpiece in its own right.

Can't recollect when was the last time ... Abhinandana? Dalapathi?

IMO, Shreya is the new-age S.Janaki... - sounds very effortless and versatile!

I don't care how northies receive this album (if they don't, it's their loss), but this album will remain my personal favorite among hindi film albums.

raja_fan
8th May 2007, 01:20 PM
" IMO, Shreya is the new-age S.Janaki... - sounds very effortless and versatile! "

:exactly:
No wonder IR sticks to her voice for the past few years. He should have found a replacement ( not a complete one though ) to SJ in her.

writeface
9th May 2007, 02:40 AM
Does anyone know if Vamsi's telugu movie (Anumanaspadam) is available on DVD yet?

-Wf

crajkumar_be
9th May 2007, 01:27 PM
http://passionforcinema.com/music-round-up-metro-the-train-cheeni-kum/
:roll:

Can someone please post a link where the songs can be listened to online?

raja_fan
9th May 2007, 03:09 PM
crajkumar_be,

www.123musiq.com

btw..There is no use in expecting northies to appreciate this or any future IR album. Let us just enjoy.

vigneshram
9th May 2007, 03:55 PM
crajkumar_be,

www.123musiq.com

btw..There is no use in expecting northies to appreciate this or any future IR album. Let us just enjoy.

crajkumar_be,

Better quality MP3s are available at www.gyanguru.org

Enjoy

selvakumar
9th May 2007, 06:34 PM
http://passionforcinema.com/music-round-up-metro-the-train-cheeni-kum/
:roll:

Can someone please post a link where the songs can be listened to online?

Rajasaranam had posted the links already.
Anyway, please refer his post below

While the music is worldclass the Lyrics are pedestrian. Sameer who has spoilt the classy tunes is not fit to be lyricist at all :x When he doesnt know to fill up the tune he starts asking 'Kyun kyun kyun'
If possible I would in turn ask Balki "Ise KYUN chuna gaane likne" :(
Lyrics are the only spoiltsport in this otherwise class album.
For better MP3 versions
Go here:
http://share.up1file.com/download/StqVLhXtGc
http://share.up1file.com/download/cQhfXpJw9M
http://share.up1file.com/download/5fs7bj9T3S
http://share.up1file.com/download/cYjUWc2FNh
http://share.up1file.com/download/ROsvwwZVhq
http://share.up1file.com/download/RRyemP6uPL
http://share.up1file.com/download/03Msnch0aZ

crajkumar_be
9th May 2007, 08:50 PM
Raja_fan, Vigneshram and Selva,
Thanks for the links (file sharing sites are a pain, though. Doesn't work mostly)

On first hearing:

- Percussion disappoints BIG TIME (as has been the case of late). What a welcome change MX was! Where's that percussion Raaja?
- Synth sound-a vida maattengararu Raaja :( Rears its ugly head often in the album.

On repeated hearings:

Baatein Hawa and Jane Do Naa are knockout :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Baatein Hawa - What an enchanting reworking of the original. The greatness is in the way Raaja has used the same tune to a different situation.
Jane Do Naa - What a tune! Shreya Ghoshal :notworthy:

Cheeni Kum - Shreya and the interludes save the song from the dreadful 'beats'. This is more pronounced in the sad version 'Sooni Sooni' - thagara dabba la thatra madhiri oru sound. Reminiscent of the beats in "Ennai thaalaatta varuvaalo". How i missed the acoustic drums of the original "Mandram Vandha"!! :(
Infact, pudhu music system vaangina first test panna ideal song-a irundhudhu adhu.

Theme Music - Beautiful and uplifting. Wow :clap: Superb transitions

Melody Sax - Experimental Raaja is back with all that jazz. Thou art the master :notworthy:

The album does get better on a few more listenings

Sanjeevi
9th May 2007, 11:52 PM
[tscii:a84231e434] 'Cheeni Kum' to premiere at Cannes

Wednesday, May 09, 2007
10:32 IST

Blog this story Blog this story

Sunil Manchanda, the producer of 'Cheeni Kum', has ambitious plans for his forthcoming film. The film will be premiered at the Cannes Film Festival on 21st May. That’s not all, a gala premiere of the film will also take place in London on 22nd May, followed by yet another lavish premiere on 24th May in Mumbai.

'Cheeni Kum' starring Amitabh Bachchan and Tabu has been filmed in London, Delhi and Mumbai and according to Manchanda, is budgeted at Rs. 12 crores.

Amitabh Bachchan is Buddhadev Gupta, a 64 year old chef cum owner of London's top Indian restaurant. He lives with his 85 year old mother and his only friend and confidante is his 9 year old neighbour - Sexy. Buddhadev Gupta is an arrogant, egoistic, pompous man with a singular passion in life - cooking. A confirmed bachelor who has never been in love. Until, Tabu - as Nina Verma walks into his restaurant and life.

And what happens afterwards forms the romantic, musical comedy, 'Cheeni Kum'

http://content.msn.co.in/Entertainment/Bollywood/bollywoodIFM_090507_1032.htm

[/tscii:a84231e434]

Sanjeevi
9th May 2007, 11:54 PM
Athenna musical comedy never heard before in Indian cinema

crajkumar_be
10th May 2007, 12:34 AM
why do the strings sound different in this album (like in "andha naal gyabagam" from a recent Balu Mahendra's film) ? are they from natural violin ensemble, or synth stuff (are the bass lines synth/keyboard stuff too?) - IMHO, for the Hindi version of the immortal "mandram vandha", I would have preferred if IR retained the rhythm/percussion portions of the interludes and the stanzas

I felt exactly the same. Infact, i thought this was the case with Shiva too...

irir123
10th May 2007, 03:26 AM
http://www.jaman.com/a/group/0G2KS8e712r8/discussion/0cV_Gddta6uU/

for starters "I have listened to the soundtrack which was released a couple of days ago. This soundtrack is the first for a Hindi film by South Indian composer Ilaiyaraja. I am sadly completely ignorant of South Indian cinema but I understand that Ilaiyaraja has composed the music for more than 850 films, and is widely revered as one of India's greatest film composers. Listening to *Cheeni kum*'s soundtrack, I can see why - and I hope that Ilaiyaraja's first Hindi film is not his last. The songs are fresh and playful, melodic and cohesive, with a sound that is both cinematic and intimate. An excellent soundtrack! I just love it - it's mellow, haunting, and lovely. "

I think IR is breaking through in Hindi with this album!

irir123
10th May 2007, 03:39 AM
http://movietonic.com/2007/05/09/video-tabu-says-jaane-do-na-to-big-b-in-cheeni-kum/

watch the clippings of "Jaane Donaa" above! Balki has done aesthetic justice to IR's timeless melody! something tells me this is going to be a winner

irir123
10th May 2007, 03:45 AM
and yes, by all means, am expecting a sumptous piano based treat from IR for CK's BGM - listening to the opening notes played in the above link, gives me nostalgic goosebumps from "Geethanjali" days!

Shankar
10th May 2007, 04:48 AM
yow....geethanjali title Oda 50% raja kuduththAlum, I will be happy.

PS: I'm in SJ. Pls mail me your contacts.

vigneshram
10th May 2007, 10:38 AM
Cheeni kum - Cheeni Jaasthi
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/05/cheeni-jaasthi.html

rajasaranam
10th May 2007, 01:12 PM
Wow too many positive reviews coming out from north is elating :)
At last a Film that can break the barriers is what i expect

littlemaster1982
10th May 2007, 01:20 PM
Great album from Ilayaraja. I liked all the songs and I sincerly wish Raja had used better percussions.

Instrumental tracks are also too good. Instead of having two versions of Baatein Hawa, the director could have opted for a fresh track.

8/10 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sanjeevi
10th May 2007, 01:26 PM
Cheeni kum - Cheeni Jaasthi
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/05/cheeni-jaasthi.html

:rotfl: title kalakkal

crajkumar_be
10th May 2007, 02:03 PM

I've seen just two - PFC site (lukewarm) and the one quoted above. Are there some more?

Sanjeevi
10th May 2007, 02:14 PM
:)

crajkumar_be
10th May 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to find other reviews from Bollywood-based sites but havent found any :(

rajasaranam
10th May 2007, 02:59 PM

I've seen just two - PFC site (lukewarm) and the one quoted above. Are there some more?

Intha rende too many thaanpa ippothaikku :wink:

irir123
10th May 2007, 09:06 PM
did u notice this: Rediff which went gaga over "Nishabd" is completely 'nishabd' about Cheeni kum ! wonder why ? usually for a Karan Johar or a Barjatya crap, rediff will devote columns for the music alone! perhaps Balki should throw a grand cocktail party for rediff guys, esp the Bachan b*tt-licker Raja Sen!

raja_fan
10th May 2007, 11:03 PM
We should wait to see if the movie goes well and carries the music to the hindi audience.

Anyways after hearing the songs, watching the clips and watching the brief interview of Balki to CNN IBN, I feel like this :

Even though IR had already done worthy job in MX and Shiva for Kamal and RGV , these two guys were engrossed in their own way of movie making and reputation , that inspite of their love for IR, they failed to carry the music to the audience. Not to blame them.

But now luckily for IR, Balki seems to have taken specific interest in show casing this man's talent to the hindi audience. He just took a simple concept, managed to rope in big names and has done a probably winning movie.

IR now badly needs just these kind of people - even average movie makers , simple, who promise less but will make a movie which will carry the music to the people.

Earlier in tamil , IR had people like RVU and P.Vasu who were just like this. Without great concepts, but more success probability. Like now Sathyan Andhikkad in Malayalam.

I wish Balki to try something in tamil..Just 2 movies and IR will be interested in tamil again :)

app_engine
10th May 2007, 11:35 PM
>>I wish Balki to try something in tamil<<

And should he do re-work of IR's malayALam hits?:-)

app_engine
11th May 2007, 12:55 AM
http://www.lyricsmasti.com/2344/Songs_Of_Movie_Cheeni-Kum.html

How people find time to do all these, I wonder!...

raja_fan
11th May 2007, 07:25 AM
" And should he do re-work of IR's malayALam hits?"

I would just don't mind ! Rather I will be happy if he does the rework of his old magics :)

raja_fan
11th May 2007, 07:35 AM
http://www.lyricsmasti.com/2344/Songs_Of_Movie_Cheeni-Kum.html

How people find time to do all these, I wonder!...

Did you see the rating for the songs ? It is 5/5 for Baaten Hawa and Jane do naa, and 4.7/5 for the other two !!

I checked "Kabhi Alvida.." and its rating is just 4.3/5 for most of its songs.

Does it indicate the success of Cheeni Kum among hindi audience ? :)