PDA

View Full Version : Aavani Avittam or Upaakarma

RS
2nd August 2006, 02:17 PM
Aavani Avittam is celebrated on Raksha Bandhan day on 9th Aug 2006, so any body interested in knowing the details can log on to the following link:

Aavani Avittam Recipe: http://www.panchangam.com/recipe/001.htm

Online Aavani Avittam Vaadhiyar (mantras with sound file)
http://www.ahobilam.com/tamil/upakarma

It is advisable to have the printed document before hand which can be had at:

Guide to performing Aavani Avittam in most languages as text document:
http://www.prapatti.com
www.keralaiyers.com/manthras

Regards,
RS.

bingleguy
2nd August 2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the update RS :-)

Surya
10th August 2006, 03:11 AM
I just got my punal changed this morning @ the temple..

Ellarum 1001 vaati Gayithri manthram soneengala?! :huh: :angry2: :P

Arthi
10th August 2006, 10:00 AM
Surya.. 1001 or 1008 :roll:

bingleguy
10th August 2006, 12:44 PM
1008 Surya.....

me too had changed my punal n performed 1008 gayathri mantram :-)
enga maama son kku innikki thala Avani avittam ... so nethu night 3 varaikkum arrangements ... appuram 5.30 marupadiyum muzhips :-) inga office la vandhu thoooookamaa varudhu ....

well i wish to share some aspects of the sacredness of Poonal !

Arthi
10th August 2006, 01:35 PM
ok ppl tell me one thing
Can females recite Gayatri Mantra? :roll:

Arthi
10th August 2006, 01:37 PM
Plz Bingle go ahead...
even u can share this in ritual thread also :)

great
10th August 2006, 10:05 PM
ok ppl tell me one thing

:notthatway: females are not supposed to recite Gayathiri Mantra

Nakeeran
10th August 2006, 10:30 PM
ok ppl tell me one thing

Greatna vanakkam :D

Why ? Any reason for this ?

Surya
11th August 2006, 01:31 AM
:o :cry2: I did it wrong. I did it 1001 times. :cry: :cry: Guess I"ll chant it 7 xtra times today.. :P

Surya
11th August 2006, 01:38 AM
ok ppl tell me one thing

Greatna vanakkam :D

Why ? Any reason for this ?

I think it's because of their monthly cycles. During that time of the month women aren't even supposed to enter the kitchen in orthodox homes. :)

But I think that these are things that came around later due to male Chauvenism...there are instances if I remember correctecly in Sanskrit Literiture (i might be wrong, please correct me if so) where Women had Upanayanams also...:)

Surya
11th August 2006, 01:43 AM
1008 Surya.....

me too had changed my punal n performed 1008 gayathri mantram :-)
enga maama son kku innikki thala Avani avittam ... so nethu night 3 varaikkum arrangements ... appuram 5.30 marupadiyum muzhips :-) inga office la vandhu thoooookamaa varudhu ....

well i wish to share some aspects of the sacredness of Poonal !

My upanayanam was in the year of 2003. 8-)

Bingle, Please share pannungo! :D

ramky
11th August 2006, 01:54 AM
ada, Aavani Avittam-ku laam kooda thread irukka ? :)

tfmlover
11th August 2006, 03:24 AM
ok ppl tell me one thing

gayathri mantra and vedic martras too vibrative invokes the power and the radiance so powerful in nature it might cause hormone disturbances in womans body . gayathri is shakthi . woman shakthi already . overdose no good ...i think

tfmlover
11th August 2006, 03:54 AM
Traditional Recipes...for Avani Avittam
paartha ..mmmmm :slurp:
yaaru panni tharaa.. :cry:

Badri
11th August 2006, 06:11 AM
There is no real reason why women should not chant Gayatri or the Vedas.

The upanishads speak of several women with high achievements such as Gargi, Madalasa etc. They were supposed to be Vedic scholars.

The Ramayana speaks of Sita doing Sandhyavadanam in Asoka Vatika.

As Surya has said, an Upanayanam of sorts was prevalant in those days for women too

As regards hormonal disturbances, the chanting of Vedic Mantras only produces soothing and calming vibrations. To associate them with negative effects is not justifiable.

It was a male chauvenistic society regimen that prevents women from chanting the Vedas or the Gayatri. Ironically, Veda is regarded as Veda Matha, Gayatri is regarded as Gayatri Matha and still, women are not allowed to chant them? :roll:

bingleguy
16th August 2006, 04:00 PM
Well Badri ! Even i do agree the say that we call Gayatri matha and still women are not allowed to say the mantram ....

but i am not sure about any chauvenistic behaviour .... when women are considered to be the wealth and shakthi n knowledge of the house .... i dnt agree upon the fact taht women were kept aside for pujas ....................

Sandhya Vandhanam - as the name suggests, could be just doin vandhanam or offering prayers to the sandhya kaalam ... :roll:

Gayathri mantra has to be recited from a Guru to the respective individual .... that too not in a loud manner, very softly without others hearing it .... If we see the Brahmopadesam part actually happens with the Guru, the boy and his father ..... where no other person has to hear the same ! Also the mantram should not be loudly said ....... Am not sure about a kind of upanayanam for ladies .... if that is the case ... they shld have the habit of reciting this long ago !

Is there any ceremony of that sort ? any evidences of the same ?

Actually SandhyaVandhanam n reciting of Gayatri is a Nitya Karma ... which shld not be stopped ! probably this could have been a reason, why women were not practicing ... coz of their breaks inbetween !

phantom363
22nd September 2006, 03:27 AM
gayathri mantra and vedic martras too vibrative invokes the power and the radiance so powerful in nature it might cause hormone disturbances in womans body . gayathri is shakthi . woman shakthi already . overdose no good ...i think

you are just kidding right? :wink:

Surya
5th October 2006, 06:29 AM

you are just kidding right? :wink:

:?

Please do Explain ur point......otherwise..there's no point in posting in a debate... :)

avii
8th October 2006, 05:07 PM
there are somethings wormen should participate in and there are some things i think they shouldnt. i think womwn should be permitted to chnt the gayathri mantra. when a daughter in law enters an inlaw's how she enters as lakshmi, she is bringing new life and prosperity to this home. if women are honoured this way , then why should they be allowed the chant mantras ??